Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Ketty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jettie and he Armstrong and Hetty and what we know about this peace plan.
Speaker 3: It does not call for new weapons, inspectors, or sanctions on Iran. Instead, President Trump is saying that if they color outside the lines, he will just drop some bombs on their heads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're gonna go through this report from Peter Doucy of Fox who lays out the mo OU, the memorandum of understanding that did come out yesterday. Nobody's denying on either side. I don't think that this is a an accurate version of the eight points or fourteen points or whatever it is. It's a very short and vague which I guess we'll get into the conversation about that a little bit, because Trump kind of says its self enforcing with common sense. But anyway, Peter Doocey goes on.
Speaker 3: And now the Boss has to sell this memorandum of understanding to a skeptical American public.
Speaker 2: Key points shared by the White House.
Speaker 3: The US will help develop quote at least three hundred billion dollars for the reconstruction and economic development of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States of America undertakes to make fully available for the use of frozen or restricted funds and assets of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Speaker 4: The increasing it's an easy one to answer. We have taken a lot of their money, and we have their money we have taken to them, or is there our money, it's their money.
Speaker 1: The tone, the language on this and other clips you're gonna hear from Trump is all so conciliatory for somebody that in theory, you know, we've got our foot on their neck and forcing them to do something because we went to war with them and won. It doesn't sound like.
Speaker 5: That we're going to remove their civilization from the face of the Earth's side demand unconditional surrender. Now it's like we're best buddies and everything's fine. Yeah, and I could even I mean, look, if he believes this is the best deal for the country in the world, blah blah blah. Okay, great, but there would be an uneasy We're watching them every step. We are going to absolutely withhold any of the carrots until the terms of the deal are met.
Speaker 2: No it hasn't more of a feel of we're officially together.
Speaker 1: Or it was their money all along, so we took their money and we're holding it. So yeah, we're giving back their money.
Speaker 2: Anyway. It rolls on on a fourteen point plan. It's not until point number eight.
Speaker 3: But you find this, The Islamic Republic of Iran reaffirms that it shall not procure or develop nuclear weapons.
Speaker 2: Bomb Iran if they don't comply.
Speaker 6: But there's nothing enforceable in the deal itself.
Speaker 1: Is that correct? Does Yeah, so that's kind of self enforcing. Trump says, you don't need to write into the deal. You don't get a nuke, you don't try to buy a nuke, you don't work on getting a nuke, or will attack you because that's just understood.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, that's legit. Does that make sense to you? Yeah, or will drop a bomb on your head. But who believes he would?
Speaker 5: Well, if iron doesn't believe that, it doesn't matter who believes it.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think Irona believes it because I don't believe it. We're not going back to war.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were looking for a good, solid defense of this deal.
Speaker 2: I think I've found one.
Speaker 5: Well, it's from James Lindsay, who we like in respect around here.
Speaker 2: I'm brilliant, man. Do you want to hear that now?
Speaker 1: Well, let's get the rest of the Peter Deucy report and then we've got to comment from Trump and then we can hear somebody say something good about this.
Speaker 3: The president's perspective on ending the war, it was just time.
Speaker 7: The thing that's going to stop them from doing that, because you can't cover everything in a document, is common sense. They don't want to get bombed.
Speaker 2: They don't want to get hit.
Speaker 1: So that's the idea of the gentleman's agreement of they understand that if they try to get a weapon, we're gonna we're gonna go back to bombing them. Let's save the missiles conversation for a different time because it's a different topic. Give me General Jack Keene sixty one. Because I have been surprised at how negative on this deal.
Speaker 2: Fox has been way more.
Speaker 1: Than I've seen them do on anything with Trump through either term of various hosts and guests talking about Trump being wrong about something. But it's been endless on Fox around this deal. Including General Jack Keene usually supports what Trump does.
Speaker 8: There's a three hundred billion dollar investment fund. Who cares where the money comes from if it doesn't come from the United States. I get that, of course it shouldn't, but it shouldn't come from anybody. I mean, when we recovered Germany and Japan, the Nazis weren't in charge, the Japanese imperials weren't in charge. Here, the Runnians in charge. The killers and thugs are still in charge. They're going to take that money and recover everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it they get the money first, the straight opens, they get to start making money off oil revenue again, they get the investment money. And then in the future we're hoping they comply on this trying not to get a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 2: Why would you believe they're going to do that.
Speaker 1: They just survived our best shot and realized we don't have the stomach to go through with it.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, it all depends on if you believe clipt two.
Speaker 2: You know, you talk about regime change.
Speaker 7: Nobody will say that, but I guess that's the one instead of leaders is all gone, The second set of leaders is all gone. Yeah, third set of leaders a little bit gone, but for the most part, and Frankly, I think it's crishim change. I think they're going to behave much differently. I think they see a different way of life that they were never exposed to.
Speaker 1: You're right, that is the crux of the whole matter. Are these different people? Noah Roffman of the National Review, writing the notion that there can be a dependable gentleman's agreement with an Islamist terrorist organization constitutionally because this was the organizing principle constitutionally committed to America's destruction, is insulting.
Speaker 2: But the question is.
Speaker 1: Are these still hard core jiah hottists or is it like Trump said, no, we're down to like the third layer of leadership, and these people aren't hardcourjia hotists.
Speaker 5: I would suggest that even in the Quran, the idea is enshrined that, Look, if you've got to pretend to not be a hard core jiah hottiest to get Allah's will done, do that. Deny Islam all day long. If you want, pretend you don't believe, if that will get you passed your obstacle, do that.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what they're doing. That's interesting because that's much different than.
Speaker 1: The way Christians have handled it for two thousand years, where many, many people, certainly in the early days of Christianity, went to their death rather than denounce Jesus. You go ahead and get your head cut off, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Interesting, So a handful more criticisms.
Speaker 5: Then we'll get to a couple of fairly robust defenses of the deal. Just a couple of headlines. This is from David Sanger. Trump's Trump demanded Around's unconditional surrender. He got a surprise instead. New York Times. Iran gets major economic lifeline for minimal concession concessions an initial deal. New York Posts. That's the headline is buried.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 5: Trump blasts critics of Isran plan as fools.
Speaker 2: Where's the quote?
Speaker 5: Blasted critics of the Ran deal as fools for not thinking he was tough on Tehran, describing them as either jealous, bad people or stupid?
Speaker 2: Which am I? Since I think this is a bad deal? Am I jealous? A bad person? Or stupid? Probably stupid. We'll take emails on that top.
Speaker 5: These fools who think I haven't been tough enough on Iran when the stock market just hit a record high and oil prices are tumbling down, are either jealous, bad people, or stupid, He wrote.
Speaker 1: He does everything on whether the stock market went up or down.
Speaker 5: Let's see from the New York Post, Trump's Iran deal secrecy was atrocious, and Vance's dodging made it worse.
Speaker 2: Here I got one positive thing to say.
Speaker 1: It's possible, and I wish he would say this out loud if it's the case. Maybe he feels I could be political suicide. But what if this is the case. It didn't work out like I thought it would. But look, in reality and life, you have to go with reality now. And reality now is this is the best thing to do. Things didn't turn out the way I thought they would. We were wrong, We made a guess. Didn't happen, They didn't fall, people didn't rise up, regime didn't quit, et cetera, et cetera. But starting today, with the facts on the ground, if you landed from Mars today and looked at the facts on the ground, this is the best thing to do going forward. It's like a going to consolidate our gains. It's like a sunk cost principle.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, not going to throw good money and lives after bad.
Speaker 1: But have you already spent two million dollars on building this house. It doesn't matter. It turns out this is a bad idea. We need to start from today. What's the best thing going forward?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Fair enough, and we will consider that and other defense is in a moment after a word from our friends that simply save home security. We all want to feel safe at home, but for a long time, and I remember this very well quote unquote, home security meant expensive monthly fees and ironclad contracts that locked you in for years.
Speaker 2: Not simply safe.
Speaker 5: It's comprehensive protection, sensors, cameras, twenty four to seven, live, professional monitoring, but on your terms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the simply safe setup. Did it myself. You go online, you order it, you customize it for your home. You can set it up yourself. That's part of the simply part. They've got help if you want, but it's pretty easy to set up yourself. And then you got the twenty four to seven protection without a contract, they're not locking you in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the setup is easy, no drilling, no stress, no waiting around for a service appointment. So good, so modern, simply safe home security. Over five million people trust simply safe every day. Right now, you good people can get fifty percent off your new simply safe system at simply safe dot com slash armstrong as simplysafe dot com slash armstrong. Judy and I just's got some more sensors. We're gonna set them up today simply safe dot com slash armstrong. There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 1: The sunk cost principle is so clearly true intellectually, but very difficult emotionally with anything in life, whether it's relationships, kids, jobs, construction projects, investments, whatever it is. If you put a whole bunch of effort and time and cost and blood, sweat and tears into something, you feel like you got to move forward on that project sometimes looking I can't abandon that now, Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So JD Vance's political career is swirling the drain. In my opinion, we can get to that. I don't want to rush through the defense of the deal from the fabulous James lindsay, So, why don't we take a break and come back and take a look at that, because, believe it or not, around.
Speaker 1: Here, we just want to know it's true, and often you have to look at both sides. I'd be happy to be wrong. I'd rather be wrong than right about this. That this turns out it's a good deal, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: It'd be fantastic. I don't think it is stay tuned.
Speaker 6: My problem with some of the people who have come out against this is there's with this argument that this isn't America first. Yeah, it really is America first. Every single president has said we have we have to fix this problem. But he tried to fix the problem. Everybody has tried to fix the problem. He tried a new approach. Yeah, and he may have kicked it down the road longer than everybody else, but we're still having to deal with the problem. But what's not America first is getting us bogged down into another war in the Middle East with troops on the ground.
Speaker 1: So that's Glenn Beck on Mark Alprin's show yesterday afternoon making the argument that you know, we kicked the can further down the road with a new approach, so have an optimistic view of this.
Speaker 5: And we don't want to get bogged down into endless two and a half month wars that were only like four weeks of three weeks of fighting. See that whole endless wars bogged down in wars thing you gotta have like a long war or get bogged down to throw that around. But anyway, this is the defense of the Deal segment. James Lindsay, friend of the Armstrong Getty Show. We're big fans partly because James does not give a crap what he's supposed to think. He thinks independently, which is how he launched his anti woke crusade. Brilliant anti woke crusade from Portland.
Speaker 1: He might be the most independent I say whatever I think guy on Earth. Yeah, love Jack, You love to know what his model is for making a living, how he makes money and how you Anyway, he angers everyone all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does, so. He writes my logic here.
Speaker 5: All starts with this seemingly rogue comments with his trump seemingly rogue comments about around keeping rockets and missiles, which has freaked out many, particularly Israelis and their supporters.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 5: You mentioned that as well, very generous. I mean, yeah, you get to keep building rockets. Everybody has rockets.
Speaker 9: It's fine.
Speaker 5: I'm betting the Gulf States are really uncomfortable like israel Is with that statement. They're not stupid, They're also targets like Israel is less, but a lot in the IRGC or crazy bastards makes me think Trump made it for them. The thing is they didn't do their parts and aren't yet, and yet Trump's definitely pissed at them because they straight up didn't help during the war so far. They wouldn't even let us use their airspace and try to close down our military basis.
Speaker 2: That's true in.
Speaker 5: A couple of cases, definitely not true in a couple more cases, but we'll go on. Trump didn't like that, and he didn't forget no way, So Trump letting them feel some legitimate heat that can be resolved by accomplishing his primary goals makes a lot of basic sense. If we remember Trump's goals and work backwards, it's actually a little easier to see how this makes sense, even though the MoU with its big carrot big stick arrangement that basically nobody believes will stick, thus terrifying Israel. But I'll bet also those Gulf states. So what are Trump's goals? One expand the Abraham Accords two KSA alliging formally with Israel, which was happening until October seventh disrupted it. Thus restoring a pre ten to seven piece agenda. Does he ksa which one is that?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway one of.
Speaker 5: The major leaders in the Middle East, I guess three increase their overall security dependence on the US and Israel, thus shifting some of their hand in the region to US, and for standard trump Ism one to one, make them active participants in their own security arrangements, just like what he's doing with the EU and Pacific countries. No more America carrying all the weight. The MoU itself creates conditions by which Iran becomes agentic in this. If they behave and they won't, they get rewarded, which they actually want bigley. If they misuse that, and everybody expects they will, they will get a well deserved stick. Everyone in the region feels this fear and is vigilant about it. Essentially, he says it's a very high risk, but it's a very high stakes game. Heighst in decades that Trump is saying to the Gulf States, Okay, you.
Speaker 2: Didn't help us.
Speaker 5: We're going to stop then, and we're going to see what happens next. And Iran is really really pissed at you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 5: So let's see if they behave. If you don't think they do, maybe you ought to reconsider how much you help us.
Speaker 1: So Ksa is the actual leader of Saudi Arabia, I don't know why he goes with that guy since everybody knows he's not actually in charge it to his son MBS.
Speaker 2: But so I'm trying to follow this.
Speaker 1: So Trump says, you wouldn't let us fly over your airspace, you didn't join in help us everything like that, So screw you.
Speaker 2: Ran gets rockets and that helps us out.
Speaker 5: Well because it will terrify everybody else into joining together with Israel in a brand new Abraham Affords with the US unity. Wow, it's a version of what's going on in Europe where and they doubled down on this recently, And I like half the strategy of saying, look, you got to pay your fair share to NATO or we're out as a way to strengthen the alliance.
Speaker 2: But this case would be like we're actually I see you with putin to strengthen NATO.
Speaker 1: But in this case would be like we're actually helping arm Russia to make the thread even worse so that NATO will come around. I mean because we're helping Iran rearm telling me, yeah, you can have rockets to try to get our allies on board.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting plan. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The comments are really really interesting, some skeptical, some encouraging.
Speaker 1: We'll take a break for this for a while because I know it's not for everybody, But we have to play the clip of Trump later explaining the whole rockets thing, because that's really interesting. Iran gets rockets. All the other countries have rockets. Why doesn't Iran get rockets? Well, the same reason a criminal doesn't get a gun but a law abiding citizen does. The other countries aren't firing off rockets all the time.
Speaker 5: JB comments, people need to f out, have some patience. Let the team trump cook. And another guy says, I've said the three dimensional chess things so many times.
Speaker 2: Never again, ha gone. Oh boy, we got a lot more other stuff on the way. If you miss a get the podcast Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 9: And guy comes out and says, dude, buffets here, he wants to meet you.
Speaker 8: I'm like, that's big money.
Speaker 2: Like I am way too amorated to say a lot to this guy.
Speaker 9: I started talking to finances meet Buffett out shake his hand, and man, we have the best conversation I've.
Speaker 6: Ever had in my life.
Speaker 7: The man is literally smiling from the ear to hear.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, I'm gonna be rich here soon. You're gonna Baker in the Vine investments.
Speaker 9: And he starts telling a story in high school when he he picked up the guitar for the first time, and I was like, no, wait or Buffet played the guitar and then got tapped on the shoulder because he had to go sing Margueritaville.
Speaker 1: That's a well told story. That's Travis kelcey football player. That was well constructed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Have you got a chance to listen to the Kelsey Brothers podcast. I highly haven't other than clips i've heard, but yeah, they're both terrific communicators.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So so Travis Kelsey. He was super hammered drunk. Somebody told him Buffett is here. He thought he was going to go talk to Warren Buffett, the finance financier, uh, one of the World Church's men.
Speaker 2: But it was Jimmy Buffett, who was also quite the businessman.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, it's pretty funny that is not a dumb football player there.
Speaker 1: Uh, he is going to make a ton of money in the announcing world. Then when his career is over, if he wants to. Of course, he's marrying Taylor Swift, so he doesn't really need to make a living, right, depending on you know, what their agreement looks like. The amount of travel in the sportscaster businesses is underappreciated.
Speaker 5: I think I had uneasy life. You make, you make good money, but it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: I had a friend who was a sportscaster, and I had never realized or thought about it before, but it is. That's a brutal for nine months of the year. Is this I don't know if this is the same data you were working off yesterday, and I didn't have much to say about it for whatever reason, But looking at it today, it's really striking me as interesting. The opinion piece a guest essay in the New York Times. We liked remote work. Then we looked at the data.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Four, nearly eighty percent of workers said they would be happiest if they could work remotely. Then it turned out it makes a lot of us miserable. And some of the information around that is amazing. People in remote work jobs who work from home three times more likely to have mental health.
Speaker 2: Issues at people who don't.
Speaker 1: Wow, Now that it'd be this sort of person that decides to work remotely has mental health problems so doesn't want to be in the workplace around other people. It could be like a self selecting sort of thing there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I would tend to think not though, because we humans, and if an introvert like me is absolutely certain of this, it's probably true. We humans are a social beast. We're meant to interact with each other a lot, and there's a real risk of isolation working remotely, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This person writing this essay did remote work and then wrote this piece saying, we started to wonder whether we, along with roughly thirty five million other Americans who worked from home, had stepped into an enormous social experiment. Was remote work as liberating as it felt. We searched for answers in the data and came up with the uncomfortable truth. Despite its advantages, remote work has significantly deepened America's isolation and distress, which we already had a big problem with going into. As we know the famous book Bowling Alone, which was written I think in the nineties, you know, is indicating way back then that we are all hanging out by ourself and bowling alone means we're not joining bowling leagues or anything else.
Speaker 2: Really, we're staying home by ourselves.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Speaking of which, there's a new study out Harvard. You know what it should be known for, not scholarship, mental illness. More on that to come. Harvard University might be the craziest place in America.
Speaker 2: More on that coming up.
Speaker 1: Remote work explains a third of the deterioration and mental health over the last fifteen years. This research says a third of the mental health deterioration is because of remote work.
Speaker 5: I wonder, I wonder. Let me bottom line it for you. Like virtually everything in human experience, going into the office, it's a pain in the ass, in a hassle for all the reasons everybody knows. But we were getting some thing from it that we probably didn't fully appreciate. Working remotely gives us some good stuff, no doubt, But we're missing out on things we didn't really realize we would miss out on.
Speaker 1: So h I'm a missing throat. But and I went into We kept working throughout COVID and going into work and.
Speaker 2: Because we're so brave.
Speaker 1: Yes, well no, partly because I'd rather be at the workplace than alone in my bedroom doing you know the show from home. Eighty four percent of remote workers spend their workday entirely alone. You go into the workplace, there's almost zero chance you spend your work day entirely alone. So we go from zero workers to eighty four percent of workers. If you go from at work to at home. That's quite a difference.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've worked remotely a lot and I like it, but there's absolutely a downside. But our job is like constant interaction. Maybe not necessarily in the same room when one of us is remote, but it's constant interaction. If I'm typing into a computer, crunching numbers or sending emails and that sort of thing, I could see it being like, really, it could really make you weird.
Speaker 1: Right, And if you're a certain sort of personality, and I'm one of them, probably going into a workplace forces me to interact with people. I'm not going to seek it out on my own otherwise, is what it says here. These workers who worked entirely alone remotely did not compensate by socializing more outside of work.
Speaker 2: I probably wouldn't either.
Speaker 1: More days passed with zero social contact of any kind. I could easily see that happening to me. I mean, I got kids, so I got that going on, and that drags me out of the house. But if I didn't have kids and I worked from home, I could easily see many days going by where I didn't interact with another human being.
Speaker 2: You'd be effortless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no hello from an officemate, no idle chit chat with a barista, no nod to a fellow commuter. These lost interactions are not trivial. In one study, when commuters were instructed to connect with strangers near them, they reported being happier than those who continued in silence.
Speaker 2: As usual, much to their own surprise.
Speaker 1: We are as you started with, We're built for social interaction, all right, Wow, how much of our mental health problem is even before the pandemic, the trend toward working from home, and then you know, it really exploded. I was trying to find the quote from Thomas Jefferson. I read it as a teenager, and it it's so echoed who I am that I thought, oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 2: Was the quote?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: I'm glad I don't have to pick that cotton myself.
Speaker 5: You are such an a hole as we approach our nation's two hundred and fiftieth birthday, and you know better, you know better than to go there now.
Speaker 2: He talked about that that is trolling, is what that is? That is just some fairly effective trolling.
Speaker 5: Yes, Uh, his histro he realized his inclination was toward uh isolation.
Speaker 2: He was an introvert, very much an introvert.
Speaker 5: He was known just as an aside as the silent member of the Continental Congress. He almost never spoke in front of the crowd. He was so introverted and and being in crowds so drained him. He would much rather write letters or write at home and think and read and that sort of thing. He was fine one on one, but you hated across anyway.
Speaker 2: He said his.
Speaker 5: Natural inclination was toward isolation. But he realized if he indulged that it made him weird and angry. So he forced himself to seek the company of others at regular intervals to keep himself from you being what's that, what's the what's the term? You're too you you fall into yourself.
Speaker 1: God, I'll have to all have have to work on that someday in retirement. If my kids are out of the house and I'm retired, I could see months going by. How many years has it been since I interacted with another human? I might think to myself, Surely I did last year, didn't I?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Maybe not saying yes when they ask you, did you find everything okay?
Speaker 2: At the grocery store? Is not interacting the door dash.
Speaker 1: Man, that's not interactions. Interact by door dash dah.
Speaker 2: He's at the door. Hide, be quiet, be quiet, Just don't let them know we're home. Son.
Speaker 1: The pain was not evenly shared here, it says here people who lived with their spouse and kids. Yeah, to my point about kids saw their mental health hold fairly steady because you're interacting with, you know, other people there, while those who lived alone experienced a twenty percent decrease in mental well being. Twenty percent's a lot, nikes, A little more on that after this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Indeed, a word from our friends at rough Green's your furry friend, your pup. Yeah, you know they only last certain length of time, right, and you want them to be as happy and healthy as possible for that time And extend that time if you possibly can, and Roughgreens could really help. It's America's number one dog supplement. You sprinkle right on their food and it's full of good stuff. I don't know why this matters to me, but it does. I love the fact that it's made in the USA. It is the number one dog supplement in America, and you can try it for nothing. All you do is pay for the shipping.
Speaker 1: To get the live probiotics, enzymes, omega oils and over twenty vitamins in minerals, you just go to Roughgreens dot com and use the discount code Armstrong.
Speaker 2: All you do is cover the shipping.
Speaker 5: Yep, all natural again made in the US. Thousands of dogs are feeling younger, more energetic, and healthier than they have in years, and your dog could be one of them. Get a free Jumpstart trial bag for your dog today. You just cover the shipping. Go to Roughgreens dot com use discount code Armstrong. It's our uff Greens dot com discount code Armstrong.
Speaker 2: Rough Greens makes any dog food better.
Speaker 1: Boy, this is interesting and I'll just hit you with this. This is something to watch out for if you work remote or you end up working remote because of AI or whatever.
Speaker 2: So why do so many people like remote work.
Speaker 1: Even saying they would accept pay cuts of between four and ten percent depending on the poll, for the opportunity to work at home, Like, why did we desire it so much if it makes us miserable? One reason is that remotes work costs are subtle and slow. When loneliness sets in gradually, it is natural to blame other life changes rather than the remote work. Well, I've got a new job, or I had a breakup or a fight with a friend, or I'm getting older, or whatever reason you come up with for kind of feeling off, and you don't point to the remote work.
Speaker 2: Yeah I could.
Speaker 1: I could believe that because we have the assumption that obviously this is making me happier. I don't have to go to work every day, I don't have to fight traffic, I don't have to put on a bra. I can't tell you how many women I've heard say I haven't put on a bra in two weeks, you know, because of working at home. Yes, freedom interesting, that's something that could be really stering us in the face. If you're not working remotely, you're living off.
Speaker 5: DeLine interaction universal base makes you crazy on its own.
Speaker 1: When when AI takes all these jobs and you know you're living off universal basic income. As it says here, the remote work didn't cause people to use that time to go out and interact socially.
Speaker 2: Nope, we didn't.
Speaker 1: So the universal basic income if that occurs because of AI, according to this experience, people aren't going to substitute it with other social interactions. They're just going to be alone all the time. That'll really exacerbate our mental health problem. I hope I live long enough to watch this. It's going to be depressing, but it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The more I think about this, the more mind blowing it is that human society was designed in such a way, maybe accidentally or maybe it was design. And the way it was designed because it had to be farmers bringing their crops and shopkeepers doing this and you know trade's been you know, having people there in the leather store or whatever, and that was the reality for so very long. The human psyche depends on it. We need it, We're built for it. And that's for the millionth time. The amount of change is dizzying, The pace of change is toxic. I'm not sure, we can take it as a species. Got how much craziest people on Earth? The Ivy League stay with us?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's do that next, and a bunch of other stuff, So stay here. Javin Newsom and his wife might actually be in trouble. They may They might be pretty nervous right now, these investigations into their finances. We can get into that a little bit in hour three.
Speaker 5: Well, I saw it charted out for me. Yeah, they ought to be worried about it. We will definitely delve into that hour three. I've got a gender bending madness update to squeeze in before the end of the show. And Michael, I don't remember did metal guy do a Seattle isst crumbling for us? It's too bad, because we've got a great seattlest crumbling update. Their woman child communist mayor is well.
Speaker 2: She's doing what of course she's doing.
Speaker 1: She's ruining the city as our socialists everywhere.
Speaker 2: Socialism sucks and it.
Speaker 5: Never works, or on that to come. Oh and including the fact that you know the woman child in Seattle who's mommy and daddy pay for like a good deal of their their expenses, her and her husband and and like I can't remember the full involvement of it, but she still gets an allowance from her parents and all, and she wants to be the major of a big mayor of big city. Oh yeah, she's still on mom and dad's payroll, and not just the cell phone plan.
Speaker 2: Everybody is.
Speaker 5: But seriously, yeah, they like pay for her expensive expenses. She is a child who preaches the naive politics of children and got elected for it, just like Mamdannie, who is no child. Mamdannie is in his lomist mastermind, but just found out. James Tallerico, the rock star Democrat in Texas, the woke guy who's hoping to win back a Senate set for Democrats. He has one checking account that he shares with his mommy. He's still on his mom's checking account. And you know, as much as I would just like to mock these people, and I have a feeling we will. That is absolutely it absolutely fits with the idea of permanent dependence on mom and dad and on the government. Nobody should be in dependent and captain of their own ship and go out into the world and achieve what they can and have ups and downs, but own what they got at the end. Now, everyone should be dependent, and it's too much to ask to go get a job, and that's be on my own, I know, isn't It's it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, in Mamdanie, he never really had a job. He was on mom and dad's payroll the whole time.
Speaker 5: Anyway, speaking of being on the payroll, I don't want to belabor this because we've been over it more than once, but it's striking. Harvard students are twice as mentally ills as the general population. The entire IVY League is part of an emerging mental health political identity crisis. Forty seven percent of surveyed seniors indicate that they experienced mental illness at some point in their time at Harvard. Thirteen percent said maybe, So that takes you to sixty percent, more than double the rate of the general US population.
Speaker 2: We will concede for the sake of the argument that.
Speaker 5: The overly online smartphone world that we have injected our children into is terrible for them, and there is some legitimate cause here that the world around them has made them crazier than they would have been otherwise. There's also the narcissism of small distinctions. If you can say, yeah, I've got for instance, terrible anxiety or whatever. People care about that. You get attention, you get a hug, whatever. And there's plenty of anxiety and depression that's real as well. There are all sorts of different things going on here. And I'll just throw in real quickly. Yale's numbers are astounding, Princeton's numbers are horrifying, and they go into a bunch of the different schools.
Speaker 2: They're all just over, just off the charts.
Speaker 1: Well, you also have to picture, as we have learned over the years, First of all, the whole college ratings thing is complete BS, and then the how you get into colleges is complete BS. So it's all about the kind of parents who jump through the hoops to get their kids to go to these colleges. Well, picture those kind of parents. Are they gonna have kids who check the box for mental illness?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Them and their parents? Right?
Speaker 5: And the other thing going on We've talked about this, and I find it fascinating, particularly in terms of young women, is that the very philosophy progressivism makes you miserable because you are always, you know, boiling in the stew of oppression and wrongdoing and racism and misogyny and Islamophobia and everyone's a victim and the evil doers are oppressing us. If you obsessed with that all day long, of course you're going to be miserable. And there's a new paper out by a professor at Utah State, just a little melancholic, maybe a little blue. Mental health is an Emerging political Identity, just published a couple months ago, describing what the professor called an emerging mental health political identity that is most pronounced among younger gen z and more liberal Americans. We can get more into that set of ideas coming up as well. We got a lot to squeeze in today.
Speaker 1: Are we gonna see Gavin Newsom's wife in shackles shuffling her way in an orange jumpsuit into the back of a van.
Speaker 6: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: I certainly hope so.
Speaker 5: Plus Jade Vance's political career is dying in my opinion, Oh so much.
Speaker 2: To squeeze him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you miss a segment of the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty