Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Friday, October sixth, and the Ravens are getting ready to go on the road to face the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's going to be their third AFC North matchup on the road in the early part of the season. Of course, the Ravens have won the previous two games in Cincinnati and then last week in Cleveland, and they're hoping to make it three and zero on Sunday. As they got ready for that matchup, we had a chance to talk with head coach John Harball after today's practice.
Speaker 2: Okay, good seeing everybody, appreciate you being here. Good practice. We'll all pointing all eyes earlier, begining to be pointing completely towards Sunday at one o'clock. That's what we're working for. We're looking forward to it. What questions you have coaching up?
Speaker 1: Anyone's actually asked you this week to talk about the rivalry a little bit. But is there a particular Gamer series that stands out a year that stands out in your memory?
Speaker 2: There's a lot, you know, there's so many. I think more than anything, Yeah, I remember all of them. I think probably couldn't tell you which year the wins were a lot better than the losses. I can tell you that I probably remember the losses sometimes more than the wins. But right now, really I'm not thinking too much about that. I don't think anybody really is. We're focused on the task at hand. Try to go in there and really play our best football game and be ready to go.
Speaker 1: How have you seen the rivalry evolve over these last.
Speaker 3: Few years, of particular since ye so many players retire and just then changes ahole rosters.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, you know brat Kisa was playing four technique. You know when I first started to give you an idea as a heck of a defensive line. I remember it. Well, you couldn't get him cut off on the backside. So that's part and parcel of the evolutionary nature of the National Football League and life. I would say so. But right now the president is at hand, and the president is Sunday at one o'clock.
Speaker 3: John Aaron Rodgers mentioned that he had kind of your achille surgery that Aaron scoop and that would be able to play at the end of the season. Have you, I mean, is it sole believe that Jk's gonna be done for you or is there still a possibility that make it late in the year.
Speaker 2: As you could Well, I mean, I don't know. That's something that's between JK and the trainers and the doctors. I'm sure it's not something I've been focusing on this time. You know. It's kind of more week to week for us in terms of the challenge at hand. So you know, if a Killy, if he can get back, that'd be awesome, that'd be all for it. But I really don't know the answer to that is.
Speaker 1: That it.
Speaker 3: Is keeping three quarterbacks a week or week thing? Is it something that you about is depends on you know, I know Tyler had the hamstring for a while, Like how do you evaluate that when you're getting guys back and roster space becomes a bigger deal you does that make it more challenging that three quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Around that it does? We kind of made a decision that we were going to try to go that route this year already, as you know, So that's obvious, and so we want to do that, you know, because the opportunity to have three quarterbacks available in a given game is something that we feel good about and we and we like all three guys. We've got three three quarterbacks there, you know, to two backups that are you know that could start in the National Football League and have so we feel we feel very strong about that. So we want to take advantage of that situation as much as we can.
Speaker 3: Availability. But I mean, this is a guy that has always pilate himself.
Speaker 1: Won't be available. What do you kind of able?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean he's starting right tackle. I think he's playing. Morgan's been playing the best football here. He might tell you this of his whole career. You know, he's really played really well, and uh, he's a force out there. He's a force in nature, especially on the polls and things like that. So, uh, he's doing everything he can to get back for Sunday, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: I don't know there are any players who willing to rule out in his times to have a lot of science to be made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't know. I don't think anybody's gonna be ruled out, but that will be coming out very soon. You'll see the elev phrases very quickly. Yeah, Di Well, I'm I'm like probably everybody here, all especially everybody. That's our my you know, in our in our realm our age group. Yeah, yeah, yeah, clarify that. You know, we grew up watching Dick Butkus uh videos because it was it was just after his career basically, and you couldn't talk about a linebacker in the National Football League not talking about Dick Butkus. Dick Butkers like that is the same as saying linebacker. Right, you said Dick Buckets, It meant linebacker next to the definition of linebacker with Dick Buckets. And then there was Ray Nichke right in there and Chuck bed Nerik was right in there with that group, you know. So uh, that was that was an era that h that we grew up looking at black and white NFL films about, you know, and and with with with a voiceover, so rest in peace. Dick Buckers is a legendary, legendary player who without without players like Dick Buckets, and without Dick Buckets, the league would not be what it is today. It's no us about that. We should all be very grateful, those of us who love football.
Speaker 1: All right, great.
Speaker 2: Real quick, I know you've been talking about Rowan and what he's added to the team, but particularly lately he's been drawing comparison, that's the regular word. Do you see any similarity between them? Yeah, I mean they're both great linebackers, you know, and we're talking about linebackers. It's linebacker day obviously, and that's this era, right Ray Lewis and and now the next generation is Rokwan Smith and I do. I do see a lot of similarities. They both play for the Ravens. I think that's a real big one that I'm really appreciative of. I'm glad they both played, you know, for the Ravens. Ray did and and Roe does. And I think the leadership, the ability to to make everybody around them better, the style of play certainly is in the same kind of kind of world. But they're their own individual player. You know, They're not the same. No two players ever are. And that's what's really important, I think as a coach to understand is like, you know, you're not searching for the same player. You know, the replacement is not the same player. No two players, no two human beings, are ever alike. But you do look for the same qualities. You know, and Row certainly has the qualities you know in that in that in that in that world. But you know, he's got a lot of football in front of him and have an opportunity to write his own, you know, the book on his career.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Harbaugh. Now, the matchup on Sunday kicks off at one pm. You can watch it on CBS. Also, make sure you check out the Lounge Podcast. We did an interview with Gus Edwards that dropped yesterday, So here what Gus had to say about this matchup and his performance so far this season. You can check out the Lounge Podcast wherever you find your podcast. Also, you can watch the episode on YouTube. Thanks for listening, have a great weekend. We'll be back with you on Sunday after the game in Pittsburgh.