Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot streaming live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's story time with Mickey on another edition of mix Shot. You guys inside podcast studios.
Speaker 4: Well, what are you doing with all that? We're already start.
Speaker 3: So I've got a green notebook, Mickey's got his legal pad, and he's got all sorts of other sacks and so you know, ever since's got pieces of paper next to him over there, and know they have nothing to do with the New Orleans Saints, the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: They are what there is reads.
Speaker 5: I want to make commercials.
Speaker 2: He's a marketing I'm going to make sure Chris has trusted to you can trust.
Speaker 3: He's spending his time proof reading periods where they belong in copy and so forth.
Speaker 5: And in the meantime, we have.
Speaker 3: Football players arriving on a football field here at the Star and for helmets and pads too, Helmets and pads once again, how many helmets and pads practices do they have it's like seventeen or so. It's like, I don't think we don't get them well, but they use them early, and maybe there's a certain point in the season, like the last few weeks of the season.
Speaker 5: You only have a certain you have to use them.
Speaker 4: Up before a certain date.
Speaker 6: So how do you have My number in my mind was thirteen.
Speaker 4: I don't know that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, thirteen padded practices and we already used one last.
Speaker 6: Week, and I think you're limited to one a week with that kind of scars without being shape all year long.
Speaker 2: Thirteen I'd be like my body, like, man, I am done anything.
Speaker 6: Like Daryl Johnston would always tell me, he goes the worst shape I was ever in is at the end of training.
Speaker 5: Camp in Austin.
Speaker 2: In Austin.
Speaker 6: Yeah so, but yeah, they don't want to work them too hard yep. And I think if you make the playoffs, you get an extra one week.
Speaker 4: Wow, one a week? Yeah, okay, well you're welcome.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: So here we are with a practice report in front of Mickey's microphone right there that he's looking at at it, and the two concerns this week on the practice exactly.
Speaker 6: Right, Jake Ferguson and Marshawn Neelan both were expected to start the practice today with the rehab guys, and then he said they would see if they can get into anything towards the end of practice. But I think when everybody goes out there and within five minutes or so to watch practice, they'll see that Jake Ferguson was just in jersey and shorts.
Speaker 5: You're predicting that, Yes, I'm predicting it. And he didn't sneak a peek out there on your way down the hall.
Speaker 6: They're going to see it eventually, right, And that Niland was in helmet and pads, So that's a chance.
Speaker 2: A chance.
Speaker 6: And and Ferguson hasn't given up on himself. You know, he talked about yesterday it's like the pain with the bone bruise. It sounded like he could manage that. The deal is your the MCL sprain, which is a low grade spray. But he said, you know, if I can go, i'll go. But if I can't play to my standard, then there's no sense going out there and putting the team in jeopardy.
Speaker 3: If you listen to the internet, doctors out there, the ones on social media, they say there's no chance with a bone bruise.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, and so they diagnosed them from the Yeah that's right, okay, you for that absolutely amazing.
Speaker 4: Uh So, you know, I think there's some hope.
Speaker 6: But as I just got done saying on my radio spot, there, hope doesn't heal.
Speaker 2: I like that, So hope doesn't heal. So well, you'll see.
Speaker 4: We'll see where that one goes.
Speaker 6: And then the other guy that didn't practice yesterday still John Stevens with the hamstring, although he was doing some running yesterday, not just you know. And both of the guys that I just got done, well, all three of them when they work on the cords, they were moving well. But it's straight line stuff either straight ahead or sideways, right, deliberate, yeah, and it's premeditated steps.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So at some point you got to find out can you can you play football? So I think that's to be determined at this point, and they won't determine it till Saturday because that's really their last practice, so they'll give an injury for it after that.
Speaker 3: And so on the tight end depth chart, yes, then you have Luke schoon Maker, the second round pick from last year and Brevian span Ford college free agent this.
Speaker 4: Year, and then after that.
Speaker 2: You said his name correctly.
Speaker 5: Mickey's the one that's.
Speaker 4: I finally listened to it.
Speaker 6: It is span Yeah, or at least somebody that was doing a TV spot on them.
Speaker 5: How do you know they have it right?
Speaker 2: Guy?
Speaker 6: It was it was an in house University of Minnesota.
Speaker 5: And so since he was there for six years, you would.
Speaker 4: Take it.
Speaker 2: They got it right and come to Bill the source.
Speaker 6: I like that, uh huh, so he would be second.
Speaker 5: Although you never know.
Speaker 3: I mean, like the Ryan Flinoy, Floridy Floy and the media guy that says Flinoy. I've never had an opportunity to actually ask him. I had to go with what the media guide said.
Speaker 4: Basically, the media guy says Florida.
Speaker 3: R yeah, f l A with the accent on the NOI all right. So there's a Texas Rangers picture making a start tonight, his first major league start. His last name is Rocker. His first name is spelled k U m A R. So how would you pronounce I know.
Speaker 4: How I would pronounce it, but I hear it's.
Speaker 3: Kumar Kumar Rocker right right. Well, we get an email from the Rangers this week, saying, in anticipation of Rocker's first major league start, we don't let you let you know that the correct pronunciation of his first name is Kamar Kamar Kamar, not Kumar. Yeah, so anyway, that's like, so you just never know. It's like span everyone's been calling.
Speaker 4: The little U.
Speaker 3: But everyone's been like in the case of Brevin span Ford, even though people call him that, that may not be right, you know, until we talk to the person himself.
Speaker 2: I did not know we were going down this rabbit hole.
Speaker 3: And then there was the Texas Rangers pitcher named Esteban Lowisa. Okay, and so we got word when I was doing Ranger games, we got word that Esteban Lowaisa wanted his name pronounce a Stayban Lowisa. So we start calling him a Steban Lowisa, And in the next game he does like a public service announcement and identifies.
Speaker 5: Himself as Esteban Lawais.
Speaker 6: All right now, cry oh and so, uh, if if Ferguson can't go, I think they have a couple things they can do. And if Stevens is still unable to play, you know, you can call Princeton off the practice squad. But he's more of a blocking guy. If you needed three tight ends on the field at the same time.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And then the other thing I think we talked about yesterday is a hunter lepke. You can give the full back some more snaps in different areas to make up for maybe one of the tight ends not being not a guy that's going to go down the seam and catch a pass, you know, twenty yards downfield.
Speaker 4: But you could do.
Speaker 5: That guy either. Yeah, he's a converted full back exact college.
Speaker 4: So you know, you just just got to adapt.
Speaker 6: You just do different things to uh make sure that you compensated for sins not out there. Well, let's remember he was second on the team last year with seventy one catch up.
Speaker 3: And it tells you a lot how the Cowboys feel about their tight end room. When there was a receiving tight end that they traded at the end of camp, end of the preseason to the Kansas City Chiefs, Peyton Hindershot. So they clearly like these other tight ends. And so now they soon, probably sooner than they wanted to see it, they're going to get their opportunity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And if you can get Stevens out there, then I think they'd feel much better about the receiving part of the tight end group.
Speaker 5: So, well, that is a guy I hadn't played in a NFL game before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, at least yesterday he was doing more than just the chords, So that was encouraging that maybe it's coming along.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So now how about the defensive line and with Marshawn Neeland And the other thing to consider this week is you get al quad in Mohamed back from his suspension. He had a one game suspension he served, so I assume he's in the mix coming off the suspension list. And then you also have a guy like Carl Lawson who's on the practice squad. And so if Marshawn Nielan can't go, what do you think the options are? Mickey, I needed a checkling thing on the quad and Muhammad.
Speaker 4: Because I was thinking maybe I missed.
Speaker 6: It, they released him. They did release it at the end of training camp. Okay, yeah, all right, so he's not a choice. Well, Tyrus Wheat, it is one of the defensive event that's on the fifty three. You can use Chauncey Golston out there. Although both of those guys played a lot of snaps on the nickel inside as pass rushers. Nieland played a bunch inside, so it's not just a true defensive end. And and then yeah, you're right on the practice squad if they need if if Lawson was ready, I don't know if he is or not, because remember he just got there at the.
Speaker 5: End of played in a preseason game.
Speaker 4: He played the last preseason game.
Speaker 5: I believe you're right.
Speaker 3: So well, I'm trying to remember he may have got into the Vegas game too, but.
Speaker 6: I know he played in the last Well at one point, remember they brought him in, Uh, then they let him go, so he didn't really practice well.
Speaker 5: They let him go.
Speaker 4: Before the final cut on the final and then they brought.
Speaker 3: Him practice practice squad, which wasn't unusual, and especially considering the fact he also factors into that veteran player that you don't want to guarantee his contract.
Speaker 4: This week of the season, and at least that's gone on around the league.
Speaker 3: You're seeing a lot of veteran guys getting signed to the regular roster this week across the league because they don't want to guarantee the contracts.
Speaker 6: A personally so so, but you only can elevate two guys, right, And they elevated Vigil last week, which was a good move because when Kendrick's either dehydration or cramps, heuh. He came in and played a couple series before Kendricks.
Speaker 5: I think he had back like snaps yea.
Speaker 6: And he he was on their special teams too, by the way, So then you would you would have to decide, do I do I need to elevate a tight end if Stevens can't go, or do I need to elevate a defensive end if Kneeling can't go, or you know, you just play Parsons more defensive end. Although they played him all over the field and I loved it, and I think he did too.
Speaker 4: He seems to be.
Speaker 6: Falling in love with Mike Zimmer By the way, if you listen to those his press conference.
Speaker 2: I knew they were going to get along very.
Speaker 7: Well, right, Yes, you know, And you know what it is when people talk about guys they're not coachable or anything. Players want somebody to help them be better, and once they realize that doesn't matter what they're telling them to do, they'll listen right.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: The other thing on its like in the case of Eric Kendricks. There was something that came out that Kendricks said something about Zimmer's hard coaching style, and people take that out of context and think that that, oh, Eric Kendricks would never want to play for Mike Zimmer again, right, you know he was miserable there or whatever.
Speaker 5: It wasn't true at all.
Speaker 3: You know, he winds up playing here and he's the quarterback of his defense whatever.
Speaker 5: And so it takes.
Speaker 3: Again, Yes, yeah, when you when you take you know, someone says something that trying to be open and candid about a situation, and then you take people take it who don't know anything about it and run with it and say, oh, he must not like They assume he must not like playing for that coach. No, he was just describing situation, you know. Yeah, it doesn't mean he doesn't like playing for him at all. So so people thought that Parsons wouldn't want to be coach hard like Zimmer.
Speaker 5: His reputation.
Speaker 2: You just knew that they were going to come with the same mindset. I could never see them not getting along.
Speaker 6: Plus, he he talked about how he said that you know, Mike has kind of given him the opportunity when he's on the field, depending on whatever defensive call they have to maybe adjusted to what he sees or where he sees a weakness on his own without without you know, being told, Okay.
Speaker 2: He's always been that person that says, I want to get better than where I am made.
Speaker 3: Now right, And then Zimmer he gets finding, he gets around Micah and they meet every morning and you see, and he figures out how sharp Micah is and how football savvy he is, and there's a trust that develops that, yeah, you can make that call, you can do you know, if you see that, then do it.
Speaker 2: I think what's more important is that he and Kendrick get along, not just get along, but understand how they can both impact the hell out of this defense. Kendrick's doing his thing, he knows the plus is going to be over there doing his thing. If they know what each other are at all times, man, they can play off each other so well.
Speaker 6: And that doesn't mean if he's at linebacker or defensive end, just playing off of what each guy's doing.
Speaker 2: Knowing where he could be on any particular play.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: In one of the interesting things for this game, I guess I didn't realize that I had just looked at. You know, they scored the Saints scored forty seven points, and Carr did this and Kamara did this.
Speaker 4: They ran for one hundred and eighty yards. That have to be number one in the league.
Speaker 6: Right, So this is going to be a good test for this team to see if they are on their way to fixing the run defense.
Speaker 2: Ongoing things. Man, Right, this is gonna be all year long, at least until let's say Thanksgiving to what we realize what kind of run defense do we really have. We're not gonna it's not gonna be a fix all. We know that Cleveland didn't. That wasn't our you know, best game. It won't be our best game. And this will be probably one of the worst offensive lines we've gone up against when we went up against Cleveland. Right, So now you have to realize that this is a more established group and they're gonna come in here hoping to do just what they plan to do all season long, and that's run the ball, play good defense, and just make sure a car doesn't have to make too many amazing plays because sometimes he can play out outside himself.
Speaker 3: You know, across the league, typically the turnover there is from year to year for teams is within it may be up to thirty three percent of your roster turns over every year. It's for sure twenty five to thirty percent of your roster. When you look at the Saints, they have kept virtually everybody from last year, and there's one Basically they have ten of their eleven starters on offense and ten of their eleven starters on defense or back this year. And they finished the season so strong last year they won four other last five games, and the coaching staff is intact as far as defense is concerned. Now they bring in Clint Kubiak as their offensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: It's his first year.
Speaker 3: But that continuity that the Saints have I think is telling in why you know it was a mismatch in Game one when you're taking on a Carolina team with a brand new head coach who did not play his young quarterback in the preseason and Bryce young and so they were totally out of sorts Carolina was. And so now this is going to be a real test for New Orleans this week.
Speaker 6: I think both teams, when you're analyzing him, you got to throw out the first game. Throw out Carolina, who knows what they are or not, and really the Cleveland thing, who knows right? You're I mean, you were playing a quarterback that has played twelve games over the last what three years, with backup tackles, with backup tackles. Now they've got, speaking of injuries, their rookie starting left tackle was limited in practice.
Speaker 4: With a back. You're not going to say his name, Talise, Talise. It was a set up. Last name's Fuaga. I got the Fuaga.
Speaker 5: Part right, Well, you didn't say it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: I was still struggling on to lease right to Let's see, let's go to Leise.
Speaker 5: To lease Fuga.
Speaker 3: Yes, who is the fourteenth pick in the draft out of Oregon State.
Speaker 4: So they've got a rookie starting at who.
Speaker 3: By the way, is making the same conversion that our right our left tackle is who played right tackle in college.
Speaker 5: Fuago played right tackle at Oregon State.
Speaker 6: And then their right tackle, Trevor Penning, is in his third year and reading about him, there was not a lot of people happy with his previous.
Speaker 5: A lot of fans and media wanted him. He was first.
Speaker 3: Nineteenth overall two years in twenty twenty two out of Northern Iowa.
Speaker 6: And then their left guard Lucas Patt I can do this one. Lucas Patrick has a toe injury and he did not practice yesterday. So their their offensive line, which was under fire before this first game.
Speaker 4: You know, got a couple of injuries.
Speaker 5: They got to You can say the center's name too. You got that one down.
Speaker 4: Oh, Eric McCoy, and you got the right guard, says our Ruez.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: That's sets the tone there.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Nate and Frisco likes this offensive line for the Saints.
Speaker 4: Oh he does.
Speaker 2: That's not good talking with him this morning. That ain't good.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 3: We're just getting started on this edition of mix Shots. By the way, ever, since you're not here tomorrow, right, not here, so you need to make your picks by the end of this show.
Speaker 2: Okay, why can't I just send the man tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Oh you want to let him? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sah, okay, you can have another day.
Speaker 2: Tough game, man, yeah, tough game all right, diagnosed, So.
Speaker 5: We will not tease that ahead for today's show.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow show, but we'll come up with something to talk about next when Mix Shots continues.
Speaker 8: At a moment, Hey, cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Prescott keeps it slides for the first down.
Speaker 8: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto. With blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: Perfect throw my goodness, wow ever thread the needles.
Speaker 8: Visit blockchain dot Com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 9: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 4: What are you doing here? Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 9: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 5: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 4: Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers Middle Lighters in fact, less filling and taste great. I'm Bshine Legal Guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams carvers for twelve bounces fewer Cowson cards than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. One Stay of the Team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demict shuts.
Speaker 2: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty fourth Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to up a Ball fifty nine visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I just mentioned to Everson, maybe Grambling can get in the Pac twelve money. PAC twelve is uh is expanding. They you know, they just they were down to two Oregon State and Washington State.
Speaker 4: They they've had Yeah, well now there are a six pack now there is.
Speaker 2: So there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Oregon State, Washington State. They've added Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, and Colorado State. So how about Grambling State.
Speaker 2: Man, let's take it. So those money for.
Speaker 4: That teams were in a conference.
Speaker 5: Was that there in the Mountain West?
Speaker 4: The West Conference?
Speaker 5: Okay? Yeah, so there there's your opportunity for some money there for state.
Speaker 2: Going to the West coast.
Speaker 3: There you go, all right, make it happen, all right, Mickey, what's on your legal pad there?
Speaker 6: Well, the Saints had to kind of change up their practice schedule. Yeah, there's a little hurricane they came over there or a big one. New Orleans ended up with in some places eight inches of rain with seventy eight mile an hour winds. So what the Saints did yesterday is they moved the practice up an hour and let the players get away a little bit early so they could get home, and the coaching staff had a slumber party at the facility. They kept the coaches there overnight and so they would in case anything happened, they would be there in the morning to have practice today.
Speaker 5: So I don't blame them. That sounded like exactly how I did. You know, everything catered for them, you know, right, find the couch and sleep.
Speaker 4: It sounded like a lot of power went out.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if they'd move out of there to get some work in this way.
Speaker 6: Well, they've got a generator at their facility and metory, so they were able to, you know, carry on.
Speaker 4: But yeah, there was a lot of power out.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: And the and the big thing there is the flooding. And and there was I read where in some streets in central New Orleans the water.
Speaker 4: Was up to people's doorsteps.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, it happens. That's not the it happened earlier this year as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so anyway, they've had to kind of change things around. It didn't sound like there was a lot of damage though. Maybe trees and.
Speaker 2: Power, yeah, but no power at all.
Speaker 6: I would think that they should be able to fly here safely on Saturday.
Speaker 4: So that's one thing that's kind of on my list.
Speaker 3: And by the way, for those of you coming in for the game, it's going to be a beautiful summer weekend degrees here.
Speaker 5: In North Texas. So your short I.
Speaker 2: Was just saying, man, I'm so glad that that hot weather's going and.
Speaker 4: The roof just said that the roof will be closed for sure.
Speaker 6: Supposed to be ninety eight to one hundred degrees really, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back to the summer temps here.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you just need to be quiet, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So what strikes you about uh this? Okay, did you make your point?
Speaker 6: We were talking about the one hundred and eighty yards rushing, Well, some of that rushing ended up being Taysom Hill five carries for thirty five yards.
Speaker 4: That's seven yards of carry and they're running him at tailback. And let's remember where he started.
Speaker 6: It was with the Packers with Mike McCarthy and he was talking about it when we had the walk off on.
Speaker 4: He liked him as a quarterback.
Speaker 2: I heard that this morning.
Speaker 6: And and he said they thought he said, I wasn't sure, but he kind of put we thought he can make it to the practice squad.
Speaker 4: And he goes.
Speaker 6: He came into my office and we told him, you know, we're going to release you, but we're you.
Speaker 4: Know, put you on the practice squad.
Speaker 2: And he goes.
Speaker 6: I think before he made the elevator that Sean Payton called and said, we're claiming you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was twenty seventeen. He's now thirty four years old, so he was twenty seven year old rookie.
Speaker 4: He's amazing before, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And of course he had gone to b YU and so he had a Mormon mission mixed in there too.
Speaker 6: But they're using him as a tight end. They're using them all over the place.
Speaker 5: So and they're not using him at quarterback.
Speaker 6: No, but Mike, Mike was He said, I was convinced he could play quarterba. Yeah, and but they've they've kind of jack of all trades now, and.
Speaker 3: So how would that have she if Aaron Rodgers there and if Taysom Hill had stayed there and was good if yeah, how could it have played out?
Speaker 2: Jordan? I never thought he was that good.
Speaker 5: No, he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't gonna. I never thought he could make it as a quarterback even, I mean he'd be nice backup, a nice backup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would have figured out how to use him. They would have used him like it's just like the Saints are using him as a you know, h back.
Speaker 2: He's put together very.
Speaker 5: Well, very athletic, four to four speed ye two. So that's an interesting little story there.
Speaker 3: It was twenty seventeen two, still going strong at age thirty four, So what is it?
Speaker 6: Mike has been in places where he's had to make decisions on quarterbacks because, by the way, in two thousand and five, when he was the offensive coordinator in San Francisco, they drafted Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rodgers and then he worked out.
Speaker 4: For him and that he inherited Rogers.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 6: Wonder if Rogers ever held that against him because.
Speaker 4: He ended up being I mean, he didn't.
Speaker 5: Get drafted in this like the twenty fifth pick.
Speaker 4: I was going to say in the twenties, right, and Alex Smith was.
Speaker 5: The first number one overall pick.
Speaker 6: Really a little bit different money there, right, that's right, especially back then, I think he made up for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right?
Speaker 5: So what about this Saints team concerns you the most?
Speaker 2: Interior?
Speaker 4: Both both offense and defense, right both?
Speaker 2: I love the way they run the ball. Uh, Kamar still good? You know, we've almost forgotten about this guy. He's been injured a lot the last couple of years. At one point he was probably the most talented running back in the NFL at one point. That's just how good he was. So he's still able to make plays.
Speaker 5: Coming off the season.
Speaker 3: The twelve starts last year, six hundred and ninety four yards three point nine yards of carrying, five touchdowns, but he had seventy five catches You got to be concerned about him catching the.
Speaker 2: Ball all about. He's still that, He's still that guy. What they call it the knife set? What do they call it? You have all the nice Swiss army Swish army knife that, to me, Kamara is close to that. He's Taysom Hill and he are both two very all around talented players that can do so many things for your offense, not just one thing they can They make your The team itself is so diverse offensively. You might have Kamara running the ball, you might have him catching the ball. You might have Tasom Hill under center. At times, you might have him playing tight end. So this is a This is a team that they know exactly what they can do and that their diversity within the offense is something that's been shown all since last year.
Speaker 6: And with their new offensive coordinator kobeak Is Clint Clint Clint.
Speaker 3: And Clinch's brother Kleine is an area scout for the Cowboys, right.
Speaker 4: And they're running kind of that forty nine ers.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: He's from the Shanahan Tree West Coast offense, and as we know over these last several years, that offense is given the Cowboys trouble.
Speaker 4: Not just the scheme.
Speaker 6: I know they got talent, but it's the way they run the football and make a priority of running the football.
Speaker 2: My first time going up against the West Coast offense was San Francisco and nineteen eighty one they blew us out. First game against San Francisco. Of course we end up in the championship, regular season, regular season. Yeah, they were like forty nine to seventeen or some crowd.
Speaker 3: There wasn't one catch in that game. There were several caps. It was a whole.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was ridiculous. I remember Dennis Thurman, I think he blocked upon or something. And Tom Lander said, that's probably the only play we made all game law in that first in that first game, that that West Coast offense, I had never gone up against it as a as a pro. And just the timing of it all. You know, everything was about you know, timing and things of that nature to where defensively you had to be prepared, you know, for a lot of quick recognition, and I had none of that in that first game.
Speaker 6: So Mike was talking about their running game in the press conference and he kept talking about how they attacked the sea gap, which is further outside or in between the tackle.
Speaker 2: The sea gap is in between the guard and attack.
Speaker 6: Right, yeah, And he was talking about how it's difficult cult because you only have so many guys to plug so many gaps, and they try to stretch you out where some gaps going to be open, and then you got.
Speaker 4: One cut back like Kamara hit that hole, and then.
Speaker 2: You know, then there's a play. There's a play action that comes off of.
Speaker 6: That right, because they can throw the ball. It's like a long handoff to him, right. I mean he caught five passes, but it was only twenty seven yards. And still what they're trying to do is get them in space, and boys, he tough in space?
Speaker 2: Is he still is? I remember his workouts being legendary. He would practice running on one leg, you know, to complete his ballance. I mean he was just ahead of his time in that regard. Hadn't heard much from him at all, you know, the last like three years, it's.
Speaker 5: Been like sixteen games since he's had a one hundred yard game like that.
Speaker 6: He's been injured. I's been dealing with injuries last couple of years.
Speaker 3: And then they've got a deep threat in Rushi Shaheed, who is We talked about him earlier in the week. He's about as fast as Tyreek. He's also their kick returner and punk returner.
Speaker 2: We need to start talking more about Worthy the Tyreek. I mean he ran the fastest, that's right, That's right. Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well and okay, so he's not near as fast as Worthy, but he's as fast as Tyreek.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's out a Weber State and was undrafted a couple of years ago and has made it in this and Chris Olabe, the first round draft pick wide receiver from that same rookie class, is their elite receiver with eighty seven catches.
Speaker 6: Last year, weaber state Mike Zimmers first. Oh, there you go, full time college job after Missouri joined Dave Campo there, Wow, I got to know each other.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: So Cowboys versus Saints? What do you think the record is the life last thirty years between these since nineteen ninety four, who holds the advantage Cowboys versus Saints? There have been fourteen meetings since ninety four. Since ninety four, there have been fourteen meetings. What's the record? Who's won the most?
Speaker 4: I guess it's almost even.
Speaker 2: I know with me, it's even. What do we got?
Speaker 5: Ten wins for the Saints, four wins for the Cowboys?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: The last thirty years.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised you stopped in ninety four. Cowboys owned them before ninety four.
Speaker 3: Prior to ninety four, going from nineteen sixty seven until ninety four, the Saints only beat the Cowboys three times one, two.
Speaker 5: Three, eight, fourteen.
Speaker 3: Up up to ninety four, the Cowboys were fourteen and three against the Saints. Since ninety four. The Saints are ten and four against the Cowboys. But the last time these two teams met was in the War on a Cowboys win twenty seven to seventeen three years ago. It was a Thursday night game New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Well, we represented in the eighties, that's all I know. We represented that.
Speaker 4: You did the Cowboys beat them in ninety one, Yes, they did.
Speaker 3: Last game I covered for The Times December eighth, nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 5: That's when it came out.
Speaker 2: You got fired.
Speaker 6: They called at ten o'clock in the press corps in the in the Uh it was nine thirty.
Speaker 4: I was there early.
Speaker 6: It was a noon start, and the phone rings and I think it was Dave Pelletteer, the Cowboys assistant PR director, says, Hey, Mick, your sports that everyone wants to talk to you. And I'm going, hell's he calling me at this time of the morning, right in the press box, and he goes, Uh, I hate to tell you this, but this is our last issue.
Speaker 4: You can tell we've been bought out.
Speaker 6: And then you know what he tells me, Uh, save me the trouble. Please tell everybody when they show up what's taking place.
Speaker 2: You tell everyone.
Speaker 4: So Frank luxA, who had been working there.
Speaker 6: For for I don't what thirty years, I got to tell him he doesn't have a job after today.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't tell anybody, Jack, if I just got fired, I'm not telling anybody.
Speaker 4: You're with them, I'm out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, come on, No, you know what the funny joke was. If you if you need another good story to put in your resume, you better do it tonight.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that's the backstory. What how mixed shots was born?
Speaker 4: A real backstory.
Speaker 2: You can tell you not a black man, bro, because when we get calls, we know if I get a call like, okay.
Speaker 4: I figured this ain't normal.
Speaker 2: You be out the door, out the door, make me do some work for you on the way out the door, give me a.
Speaker 4: Break, felt obligated to my readers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then you were on the Cowboys charter the next day or next week to Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Was the Philadelphia the next game? Hm, that's when they clinched the playoff?
Speaker 2: Birth Jerry, that was the beginning of you.
Speaker 3: But that's that Jerry felt sorry for you because you just lost your job. Right, So he's been feeling sorry for him for thirty four years.
Speaker 2: Bags mans.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, all right, we wrap up mixed shots in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages for the pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail game point in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 8: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott Kitts it slides for the first down.
Speaker 8: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: Perfect throw my goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 8: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 9: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 9: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less feelings.
Speaker 4: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Never lighters in fact less filling and taste great. I'm mishine legal guy. Celebrate responsibily. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands preepoint j Gram's carvers for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demiced Shots.
Speaker 2: The Texas a and m Aggie's and Arkansas Razorbacks return to AT and T Stadium on September twenty eighth in the Southwest Classic. Don't miss it's your chance to catch this highly anticipated annual matchup. Tickets are on sale now at seat geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: That kicks off a great series of games college football games in the area with that game, and then you got Grambling and Prairie View at the Cotton Bowl with the Great State Fair of Texas and Texas ou yep.
Speaker 5: So it's a wonderful time of the year.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 5: All right, last few minutes of mixed shots here.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to I may have to bail early on you because the segment of the Mike McCarthy show, awaits did you hear.
Speaker 6: The ID the beginning of the press conference. No, he just realized that David Moore was on the Mike McCarthy Show. What he said he said, I you said something to David like, yeah, I don't know, I don't know if I approve that.
Speaker 4: And David goes so I've been doing it for five years.
Speaker 8: He's no, he knows it's a running Joey.
Speaker 4: It's like it was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Matt damon being invited on Jimmy Kimmel. Is that the one yes, I'd like to apologize for.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you what what happened last week? And I told him at the at the end of the first segment. Every week, I said, and then that's uh, we're just getting started the Mike McCarthy Show, and up next it's David Moore The Dallas Morning News. Well, the first show of the year last last week. I'm taping it on Thursday, and I said, uh, and hey, do you hear who just got his contract renewed? And he had this startled look on his face, and I said, David Moore, the Dallas Morning News is going to be up He just to say so he went to break and then McCarthy said, I thought you legitimately had breaking news that the quarterback had.
Speaker 2: Hey, no coach, that's Fnday morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was that'll be Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what tipped me off that, Okay, I think something could be happening here.
Speaker 6: So uh, he had inside Trader information when he asked us, do you think it'll happen before the season opener?
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I said all along though, that it was going to happen for the season opener, because it didn't make any sense for if they're if they're that close to an agreement, to me, it made no sense to but that, but take take a risk of injury.
Speaker 6: It wasn't planned that way, right, because they didn't come to an agreement untill ten a m.
Speaker 5: Stuff is headline dramatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they expected to be that dramatic, right, Well.
Speaker 6: It cost him more money in the salary cap because he had to play that first game on his.
Speaker 3: Well, we also knew if things were things were pretty close to happening whenever one went radio silence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when Jerry says no comment, that's right, that's when something that's breaking news. Uh huh, Jerry's not talking all right?
Speaker 3: So do you ever since do you have some final comments you'd like to make? Because you're not going to be with us tomorrow, however, you will be making your picks.
Speaker 5: You'll be.
Speaker 2: I will be making my picks. I will text them in tomorrow. I will not be listening to your show.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Why is that I have work to do.
Speaker 2: I got work to be working with Rolling Paris, who was one of the more yeah, prominent African American businessman in the in the area, friend of my foundation, Ethos Education Group. Really cool dude and actually if you look him up, he was a damn good track star. One of these days we have to look him up on the.
Speaker 5: Show, Senior.
Speaker 2: Senior, I don't know.
Speaker 4: He's got a son.
Speaker 5: That's well, okay.
Speaker 2: About how old is he?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Rolling Paris, he's like alway, he's like fifty.
Speaker 5: Then okay, yeah, oh he's young.
Speaker 2: He's a grown man. I'm sorry. You guys are all.
Speaker 5: Right, very good.
Speaker 4: Did we did we talk about DeMarcus Lawrence?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: I did it on the radio.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: I was just going to say on Mondays they hand out the game ball and he got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So what happened with that?
Speaker 3: Because the word came out that that McCarthy wasn't going to give out game balls because we expect to win games. And then and then we find out that demarc has got a game ball.
Speaker 6: They don't do it right after our game. He does it on the next morning. And so when everybody was talking about this guy, this guy, and it's like, well, don't forget about defense plays.
Speaker 2: Well, DeMarcus Lawrence has something to do with it. Yeah, well they got tackles or not. The numbers don't always bear out.
Speaker 4: He forces sets the edge, yes he does, backside uh tackles.
Speaker 2: They won't they won't be coming outside. That's one thing. Yeah, we won't becoming. Our problem has always been in in the middle. And when it comes to the Marcus Lawns, if he could, he would do something about it, but they always keep him outside the defensive end. Mike.
Speaker 6: Mike finished it with he had a hell of a game, and he did.
Speaker 4: If we look at.
Speaker 2: He's had a hell of a career.
Speaker 4: If we look at the stats.
Speaker 6: Uh, five tackles, two sacks, mmm, three tackles for losses and four quarterback hits and.
Speaker 4: A force fumble.
Speaker 6: Right, everybody you know gets gaggy eyes over Parsons.
Speaker 2: Google eyes. Google.
Speaker 3: I said, don't, lady, I'm being summoned.
Speaker 2: You are, I am.
Speaker 4: Well, it's time let's go.
Speaker 3: Okay, so some of us, some of us here tomorrow at high noon for a fabulous Football Friday, the edition of Mix Shots Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboy Always pootball clubs