Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 2: Now your hosts.
Speaker 1: Darry Church, Heckma Harrison, and newly Scrugs.
Speaker 3: Players Lounge for the one in oh Dallas Cowboys right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio. You know the team is Heckma Harrison, former Cowboys safety Barry Church Scruggs. We are onto Week two as the Cowboys get ready for the home opener Jerry World against the New Orleans Saints. So the Saints went out there whooping up on Carolina. Yes, the man's name Bryce, Bryce, She was the first one.
Speaker 4: I'd pick you gout, you know, get you.
Speaker 2: A nobody's gonna cry for you.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for him from the standpoint. Is the guy that they passed on you for. It's not just playing well. He looks like the next type of the next batchup quarterback star in the league.
Speaker 4: That therein lies the problems like but that you.
Speaker 5: Know, I asked a question about those two and people have made a reference to those two guys in their draft class and it seems to me like one guy fell to a better situation.
Speaker 2: You know, when you think about c. J.
Speaker 5: Strauff going to Houston, the offensive line is there, the defense is obviously there. And I'm not saying that Bryce Young was in that system he'd have more success, but he sure would have more weapons. And so, I mean, I think his struggle in Carolina is going to be documented. But I mean, offensive line wise, defense wise, they're just a bad team.
Speaker 2: Yes, ugly, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It surely doesn't help out when you have the work when you're the worst team in the league, but your first round pick has been traded away. I mean, so some of that is out of his control, firing a head coach.
Speaker 4: But you know, fans don't kills, honey, Yoda do or do not?
Speaker 2: There is no t there is no.
Speaker 3: Forty seven to ten is what the Saints beat the Carolina Panthers by Saints coming in here. Dennis Allen's air head coach LdB High School. So so yeah, fun, fun, fun times there. I was out yesterday as you guys did the show. I was in Cleveland. Let me say wow, like in a good way for the atmosphere. It was first off that it was my first Browns game there since ninety five when I lived up there the w W SO so yeah, it was old stadium. Belichick was a coach. So my first man, we parked next to some people. Immediately, Man, hey have some food. Okay, don't mind, you.
Speaker 4: Know if you insist. Nobody called me out roker this time. Okay, call me out roker.
Speaker 3: But my brother ain't good and they just they're just good fans. Man, cowboy fans can't appreciate the down trottenness of this franchise. They've not won a championship since nineteen sixty four. There was no Super Bowl nineteen sixty four. Jim Brown was on the team in nineteen six. Jim Brown has passed away. I mean this is hard time. I mean, Dusty Rose at hard time leveland Brown a hard time right going, you know, winless seasons. But they are there, bro, They are there, and they hung in there as long as they could, and then they just realized that, Bro, it's time to beat this traffic.
Speaker 2: They seen this song before, seeing this dance, before.
Speaker 3: They booed him at halftime, they were all on Deshaun Watson. They're like, man, this guy's now worth the two hundred and thirty million dollars is guarantee. I mean they were on them. You know when when you lose them brilliant Trump, you trouble. But the Cowboys were that good man that they had them. I mean you think about it, the Cowboy fans had them bowing them in.
Speaker 4: There was fighting once again.
Speaker 3: Cowboy, Well, how did they get all these tickets?
Speaker 2: Stars and everywhere everywhere?
Speaker 4: I mean, man, my hotel, hotel full up.
Speaker 3: And then it was wild to see Cowboy fan with Cleveland fan.
Speaker 4: You're married together and everything. I mean, this is they do they do. They are strong, they are strong.
Speaker 3: I just kind of just shook my head one more time, like even here, even here in a place where there's really two types of fans in Northeast Ohio, the Browns fans and Sea what ye, but Cowboy.
Speaker 4: Fan to roll up on it Northeast High like that, man, like wow?
Speaker 5: I mean that should like for you, as a as a former player, which stadium that you would go to, whether it be in the NFC East, just say NFC East that you would go and they would have always the most Cowboy fans.
Speaker 6: Now, I would have to say it was either Washington, Washington. They was always house. And then we were representing New York as well. It was kind of a fifty fifty. But Washington, I mean the whole front, you know that little bowl, not the upper bowl, but the whole bottom bowl, all over the place.
Speaker 2: They traveled up there.
Speaker 3: Heck, last time I went up there, Man Ubers would come up there drop folks, so if a bunch of cowboy jerseys, and then they were tailgating with the Washington fans too.
Speaker 2: Loved well, there was like a family.
Speaker 4: It's just like wow, family showed up there.
Speaker 3: Then the most disrespectful thing I ever saw at the well, not one of the years I went up there. John Wall was still playing for for the Washington Wizards this he was the star of the team.
Speaker 4: You know, they bring the bring the dude down there for the game.
Speaker 3: They show up in the MM Smith jersey.
Speaker 2: Lebron did the same thing.
Speaker 4: Didn't but but you are on okay, you the Washington.
Speaker 2: Started the city.
Speaker 4: They make you a guest and you show up in your bro I mean we was laughing on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Bryce Harper could not go to an Eagles game wearing a cowboy jersey, even though he grew up a cowboy fan.
Speaker 4: Of Vegas.
Speaker 3: Now you switched, but you can't do that there. They will jump on you there. You know Jayleen her tried to wear Houston Astros had don't do it right.
Speaker 5: They let him retired.
Speaker 4: We retired right when you're back home.
Speaker 2: You get this one, but not in d C.
Speaker 4: Flex on the sideline of the past.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, he was on our sideline.
Speaker 4: So what I mean?
Speaker 3: Could you imagine Dirk showing up at a Cowboy game when he was the when he was the math star with a dog on Washington, Jersey right right?
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 6: Church, how would you have felt if you saw your disrespect? We brought you you. So they usually come to the locker room before them. Good luck out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man disrespected.
Speaker 4: That's a d C man. It was, it was. It was rough like that. But my takeaway.
Speaker 3: I just want to start right here, was was Mike McCarthy is not getting enough credit for what transpired there. Dak gets his contract for the game, handles it fine, Everyone's happy for him, so that drama is put to bed. But Mike lived with that all off season long. Never said one thing that besmirts the player or the organization. He stayed above it, which I think has to have mad respect in the lock for how he handled CD and how he handled that. Its busy. He said everything right. The two rookies, I was very concerned about them. Heck, I mentioned it, those rookie offensive linemen against the defensive player of the year A Miles Garrett. They did give guidance help. You didn't notice them. Dak Prescott was able to get his job done. The run game was able to do what they needed to do. I'm just looking at the new defense and what Mike Zimmer put in there that he was.
Speaker 4: Able to do his job. They were owned. Deshaun Watson looked like a shell of himself.
Speaker 3: Just to he looks like a bust at this point in time for the Cleveland Browns special teams finally returned to Tuchdam. I mean all three phases they dominated, But we're not hearing.
Speaker 4: About Mike McCarthy as a head coach.
Speaker 3: To me, I come in here, I'm just like and I didn't talk to Jerry after the game. Jerry, with all due respect forget Michael Parsons, When are you gonna take care of your head coach?
Speaker 4: Because he has this locker room playing for him. He's got everyone on the same page.
Speaker 3: The way they praised Dak afterwards, that they were these guys were all for him, So there's no divide there.
Speaker 4: He's creating church. You can speak to this. He's created a locker room where everybody is there.
Speaker 3: You were in a locker room where you know, not everybody felt the same way about the quarterback as Drew bloodsoe let that let us all know over the weekend.
Speaker 4: So what he's created. Hecma, Barry.
Speaker 3: If this guy is not here next year, I don't know where they go because he's done the heck of a job. And Game one has used to be a Jason Garrett special when they would have got beat, they did not get beat.
Speaker 4: They came out there whooped that trick man.
Speaker 2: I want to stop him. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: You the smile on your face with Jerry when when Dak's contract was announcing, You're standing there. I'm like, look at that smile. Man, he like he already. You should have heard it on the players now first you think, right, smile says it all. Not to change the subject, but I gotta tell you it has a great That was a great picture. You standing next to Jerry and that smile on your face. But you're right, man, I think it all three phases of the game. As you mentioned, the Cowboys, you know, came out and they played, uh not like they were having to get into a rhythm. You know, first game on the season. You're used to teams kind of like a warm up period because this is like a preseason game for all intensive purposes. Starters going on exactly, so this is this is you getting a rhythm. But these guys had no rust to knock off. And the thing that I was most proud of of, man, is in that first half. You you have a twenty to three league and we've seen this team, We've seen previous coaches before blow a seventeen point lead, all right, because what are you doing?
Speaker 2: You're trying to do too much.
Speaker 5: And I thought that for Mike McCarthy, because this was truly a game that could have been easily a forty burger if you just keep your foot on the gas and keep pressing them but protecting that lead. In his interview yesterday with the media, he said something I thought that was very important. He said, you know, you know I maintained the offense. I handled the offense so on the other side of the defense. I got to have somebody that really obviously I'm paraphrasing what he said, have somebody that can also operate as a head coach and having a guy like Dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: And now you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: When you have those kinds of defensive coordinators and guys that can handle their business, and you can do what you need to do as far as making sure I protect this defense as well, you know, not going out here and airing it out. I keep the ball on the ground. And look, the second half left a lot to be desired. I mean, it was really a tail of two halves. But to me, I saw Mike McCarthy said I'm gonna protect this lead at all costs. But man, Mike was in his bag his play calling. He did not allow Dak to put the ball in harm's way. And it to me is like, Okay, sometimes you can go out there because your back is against the wall and try and do too much right out the back. He didn't do that. He protected his quarterback, he protected his offense. He played everything within the structure that he said he was going to do it and in the end, getting this thirty three to seventeen win is just indicative of him and the kind of coach that he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike McCarthy, he's a hell of a coach. I mean we could just call Spades Bade.
Speaker 6: The man knows how to get the locker room all behind him in one units. And like you just said, everybody's playing like their hairs on fire, and everybody's playing for one another, and you love to see it.
Speaker 2: There was no selfishness in there. You know, guys, you don't slack. You know, before periods you would see guys, Oh, I gotta make this out. I gotta go up the field. I gotta get this guy.
Speaker 6: Everybody was in their lanes where they were supposed to play, playing team, whether it's defense, offense, special teams.
Speaker 2: It was a combined victory out there.
Speaker 6: So to me, Mike McCarthy deserves a ton of credit, not only forgetting this team to go out there and play, because like you said, in the past, we've seen teams come out there and either be sleepwalking or just not prepared for.
Speaker 2: The first game.
Speaker 6: His team as a total was ready and they went out there and they gave it to the Cleveland Browns. Now, there's some things here and there that you know, they got to clean up once again. The penalties were a little bit high. He had eleven penalties out there. You'd like to see this team get better all third down. I think they were four or fourteen all third down, So you'd like to see this team get a little bit better. But Dak didn't turn the ball over. The quarterback was, you know, basically protected the entire game. There was three sacks, but it was kind of just you know, for the most part of the time. For the most part of the game, Dak was cool, com and collected throughout the entire thing.
Speaker 2: Now, when we.
Speaker 6: Talk about extending and getting my man in here long term, I still think there's some questions that you know, my man needs to needs to answer, and preferably it's we're not gonna be able to see it now, but in the postseason we need to see those questions be answered.
Speaker 2: Still, in my opinion, we.
Speaker 4: Understand that this man is a hell of us coach.
Speaker 6: During the regular season, three straight seasons with twelve plus victories, That's that's not an easy feat. So I don't want to take anything away from him when it comes to that. But when it comes to the playoff performances. We all understand, we've we've been around this organization a long time. It's what you do in the postseason that that's all that really matters when it comes to the Star.
Speaker 3: So we've spoken to this before here on the show. You talk about the playoffs. Mike is dying for the sins of other people as well. And that's a part of the problem is it all gets lumped together, and you know, some ways the owner kind of gets off scott free, even though he's been here for all of it. But we blame everything on that this this.
Speaker 4: One head coach.
Speaker 3: Like now, I guess what Bill had the issues here, Jason had the issues here, Wade had It's it's been an organizational problem for a while. And that's what I kind of called out last year, say hey, look, you know, yes, Mike, Mike is the coach here, but dog gone it.
Speaker 4: After a while. We got thirty years a proof it didn't matter.
Speaker 3: Who you bring in here. We keep seeing the same old thing. And at some point in time when the playoffs come around, if I were a player and maybe Dak should go down here and call Jason Kidd and Dirk Ebitt because they all like those guys in twenty eleven went to Mark keep saying shut up, don't say anything nothing. Why are you adding fuels to the fire. I think this is no no. How about you just say nothing, say nothing. Did you know what Mark said last year during the run to get mass.
Speaker 2: Mads of the final nothing nothing.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see just one time when Jerry and Stevens said nothing, that they had to say anything at all. Just say, you know, I've got belief in our head, coach, got belief in our players that we can go where we want to go.
Speaker 4: You say that, I've just said okay, So heckma, you're correct.
Speaker 3: And so since you've been doing it your way for thirty years now and you keep finding yourself in the same land of disappointment, why not change it up and just be the dude who just you know what, Hey, guys, I'm gonna shock all of you. I'm gonna zip it. I'm just gonna zip it and watch it. I'm gonna I will talk to you after our final game. Boy, wouldn't that be a great challenge? Because I'll tell you this, heckma. It was the first round series in twenty eleven when the MAVs played Portland. Everyone was picking the MAVs to get upset, even though they were the favorite team. And they went in had like a twenty point lead against the Blazers up there in Portland. I was there and Brandon roy and went off in the markets.
Speaker 4: All they came back and.
Speaker 3: It was some tough calls, and Cuban was outside the locker room.
Speaker 4: He was hot, and boy, you know we had that mic trick hot.
Speaker 2: What did you say that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, were here and he got coaches, no, no, no, and he didn't he didn't. I guess he listened to the play, but he listened to the play, but he didn't do it. And then after that it was smooth saying. They ended up winning that series, of course, and everything else was was was amazing. But I would love to see Jerry if they can get back to the just back to your point about the postseason. Hey man, why don't you just do your part and be quiet and let the players and let the coaches do with things.
Speaker 2: He is Look, Jerry is not one of the roonies. He is not you go. I mean he didn't operate like that.
Speaker 5: I mean there's several there are several teams in the NFL that you wouldn't have any clue who ownership is because they don't talk. You see him in the grocery store, wouldn't even know you're standing next to him. Jerry Jones is he is. He is the polarizing one. He is the one that everybody knows is the ring leader. I don't know where you were at ten o'clock Eastern Standard time when the news came out that Dak got the contract. Was nine, your time, will eleven whatever.
Speaker 3: It was working at the hotel gym. But when we got to the stadium, we all waited till we all waited for him to come out the locker room. But there's Jerry knows exactly what he's doing.
Speaker 5: Everybody's getting ready to see the Week one games coming on at twelve o'clock and then newsflash, Dak signs his deal and then everything ships from opening weekend to Jerry Jones the star. But I'm saying that has been his mo for years. He's done that with players contracts, he's done that with schedule announcements. That is who he is and it's not gonna change now. And the thing is, when you have a team, these guys have to have thick skin when it relates to the media. Barry Church, you know better than anybody that you have to and you know that it's going to be talked because you have an owner that's going to be out front the coach. He does its own television. I mean, he does his own radio show. Jerry does. How many owners and then have their own radio show. So look, the things that people complain about about Jerry and all that, just that just asks more fuel to the fire because that makes him who he is. And this team is going to have to win in spite of all of that.
Speaker 3: And heck, I come back to this and I always say, show me who's winning super Bowls operating like this?
Speaker 4: Now, Clark Hunt's not doing it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, he's not.
Speaker 5: And I mean the luxury that the Hunt family has is one patty, you know. I mean, you could do it like that when you have some of the best playing it matter.
Speaker 2: He's the way equalize it when it comes down to all of that. So I agree with you.
Speaker 5: And and for sometimes like you look at it's like, come on, do we have to do this one more time? Like we're in the we're in the crux of it right now talking about Mike McCarthy, like, this is a guy that shouldn't have to sing for his meal. No, this is a guy that's shown you And if he's paying for the sins of other coaches, when does that stop on his watch?
Speaker 2: Because he is a championship level coach.
Speaker 3: You saw what Sean Payton did this year last week? Right, yeah, Okay, Sean Payton got his quarterback.
Speaker 4: Didn't look good.
Speaker 3: You start looking at Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy, you start putting it side to side together. Mike is held one way and Sean Payton has looked at as his genius in the lab the other way. What's sewn done since since Drew Brees exited the building?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 4: Nothing, making eighteen million right now?
Speaker 3: And I like Sean, but there's this perception that Sean is so much better than Mike.
Speaker 5: McCarthy without without people looking at the record to didn't realize that they're the same.
Speaker 3: And people saying, well, you know, McCarthy had Aaron Rodgers, he had Brett Farv and I go by can say this, show me the great NFL coach in the Hall of Fame that had a bum quarterback there's only one dude where you can say, hey man, you had some okay dudes that I can think of it as a Pro Football Hall of Fame. That would be Joe Gibbs, who won super Bowls with Joe, thisman, Jug Williams and Mark Rippin. Other than that, everybody else pretty much rolland with a dude who's got Hall of Fame number, Absolutely Tom Landry Chuck, No, Don Shula. Bill Belichick's gonna go in there in the hall one day. He's got a guy Bud grantson there at Frank Tip mean, you pretty much gonna need a dude.
Speaker 4: Bill Walsh. You got a guy.
Speaker 3: Bill Walsh had Joe Montana and he has seen him those guys, So you're not getting there with just some old Johnny cun lately let mention.
Speaker 5: I mean so Barry, that is, you actually approve of the way that the front office is handling Mike McCarthy and your and your thing is like you gotta show improved the regular season as well and good.
Speaker 6: I don't see anything wrong with saying, okay, look man, you know we understand your greatness and how you are as a play caller and how you get the quarterback Whisper. We understand all that, but we also understand the past. You know, three seasons we've been won and done or maybe got into the divisional and at Jerry Jones has already said this time and time again, I don't have.
Speaker 2: Time to, you know, do all these other things. Don't have that.
Speaker 6: We're gonna say, we're gonna take a break, and I don't see I don't see no problem with it.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take a break.
Speaker 2: You win, you get it, don't gonna when.
Speaker 4: We come back. When we come back, I'm going to ask you one simple question.
Speaker 3: Let's do about what you just said here. It's easy, it's easy. Ask you one simple question. Do that next right here, let me hear. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty two twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 2: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Hey there, Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 7: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo, bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: As they snapper the press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escaped laft. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, I sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Prescot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader. They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wfball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: To the players Lounge.
Speaker 5: Short read guys, YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: It is and by the way to recap our YETI cool customer that we had picked over the weekend was the quarterback Dak Prescott sixteen or twenty seven hundred and sixty one yards one touchdown and you know what, the Cowboys got the victory and number four for the Cowboys looked at a lot better than the number four on the other side long. So that was the cool customer we spoke about, and the other cool customer I was talking about with Tyler you left tackle.
Speaker 4: He was cool old customer. Man.
Speaker 3: What an outstanding day for the rookie unforced. I hadn't get a chance to talk to him in the locker room. We had to get over to get CD LAMB. But what a great performance for him as a rookie at Carnor BB and he was praised by Tyler Smith and Dak Prescott as well.
Speaker 5: So we gave out game balls yesterday on the players lounge, and I gave a game ball to my email brother Cooper BB. Yeah, that's that's what I represented.
Speaker 3: You know what, Look, the fact that we were not talking about them seeks volumes for the players, speaks volumes for the coaching staff, you know, O line coaches and Mike McCarthy as well.
Speaker 4: As calling the plays. So yeah, a lot of credit.
Speaker 3: Which is now I come back to you Bury Church as we spoke about last segment right now, other players, I was brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. You said, let Mike play it out. You said you had no problem with it. You're a former player. Yeah, and you know what it's like to go in on the final year of a deal having to sing.
Speaker 4: For your supper? Is it not disrespectful?
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy, who's only had one head coach in this league win more games than him in the regular season the last three years won Mike McCarthy, who came in here, took over for Jason Garrett's mess and has done a better job than Jason did in ten years.
Speaker 4: Is it not disrespectful?
Speaker 3: A dude who's like number one, seventeen or eighteen on all sign wins, little.
Speaker 6: Playoff records, Garrett and Mike being just with the Cowboys head coach Mike with Jason's ten years here, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know well as of right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're around the same.
Speaker 6: I would assume, right it's probably win Law, you know, being a Cowboy, I would assume they're around the same.
Speaker 4: Chris Ban you can correct me. You can go through the handy Danny.
Speaker 6: But back to your question, I would say, if I'm Mike, if that, if I'm big Mike, yes, I would see that is being disrespectful because if I'm a player, I'm going out there, I'm risking injury. Even though he's not risking injury. If I'm a player going out there, I want security just like everybody else out there. So yes, I would say that that would be disrespectful if I'm McCarthy. But I also understand it from the other point of view when you talk about mister Jones in the front of office.
Speaker 2: You know the past three years, Yes, you've.
Speaker 6: Always gotten us into contention, always gotten us into the playoffs, and that's how you started.
Speaker 2: You g's how you get to the balls, to get to the playoffs to begin with.
Speaker 6: So we understand regular season, you bring us an opportunity to at least get to the tournament, and that's all you can ask for in the regular season. But when we get to the second, when we get to the playoffs, that's when we have some issues. Like going into that Green Bay game that might have been the worst playoff loss in Cowboys history. If I'm not mistaken, it could have been. And you were a big time fIF Oh yeah that was bad to thirteen to three years. But you're at home and you're supposed to take care of business against a Jordan Love who was his first year starting, and you got dismantled.
Speaker 4: Now I'm not putting it everything square on you.
Speaker 6: But as a head coach, you're you're the umbrella for the whole entire team off from the corner of the defense, quar or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 2: You're the umbrella there. You're gonna take. You know, you're gonna take the shrine.
Speaker 6: So to me, after that playoff performance and then to come in here week one, you did get the job done. I still have questions that need to be answered, especially when.
Speaker 4: You get to the postseason.
Speaker 5: And I agree with what you're saying because I think that is the moment that resonates with you as a former player and as fans. You're like, how could you not be prepared for that moment? Because you're at home, the records spoke for itself, your home record, and you come in and you just did not look ready in that instance. And I think that that's the one thing that you've heard. Jerry continued to repeat about the Green Bay loss, like it just it resonated with him that the team wasn't ready. I'm just gonna say this, man. Obviously I don't have any you know, antidotal accounts as a player or anything like that, but I will say, you know, when my uncle was coaching for the Miami Dolphins. This is Don Shuler's last season. This was ninety five ninety six, and those coaches were on edge because they knew like he could be gone at any second, and hazinga all the things that they were going on at that time. And they lose in the playoffs and he hears about being fired on ESPN, not from ownership, you know, and like the families are involved in this too, and so big Mike is doing his job not only for himself, but also for those coaches that are on his staff. And to me, the job that they've done and what they've poured into this organization and these players that what they've been able to do with the talent that they have, it says to me that they shouldn't even be in this situation where they're having to feel disrespected. Look, Mike is going to have to prove it right. The coaching salary is not tied to the salary cap. They could do this at any time, at any moment. To me, if you have a team that's going out performing like this, say they do it again, you have a hot, high caliber performance. You go into Baltimore. As it continues to go. You see this team responding and there's no drop off. You gotta take care of it because at the end of the day, at the end of the day, what you need is the regular season to even prepare for the postseason.
Speaker 6: But that's been the same thing for the past three seasons, right being successful during the regular season, having these runs, and then getting to the performance. Out of those four playoff games, there was one that that team looked prepared for the Tampa Bay game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, San Francisco the first one, they didn't look good.
Speaker 4: They got smacked fourteen oh in the first one.
Speaker 6: And then you look at you look at the second playoff game against San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Did they look prepared in that game?
Speaker 2: Green Bay?
Speaker 4: Did they look prepared in that game?
Speaker 6: So Tampa Bay, to be was the only one where they were in the postseason and they came out ready to roll.
Speaker 2: And that's the question that needs to be solved. We know what the regular season is.
Speaker 6: He's gonna give you twelve victories, so he's gonna have his team ready for the role. But has he given any evidence, time, proof of consistency that when you get to that playoff round that that team is gonna.
Speaker 5: Come out ready to roll. So now this is this is this is now. To me, what I'm hearing is a trust issue in the biggest moments.
Speaker 6: I think that's That's what the question that we've all been to win McCarthy is the postseason.
Speaker 4: So he's one in three. A's a head coach.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's won in three with the Cowboys, one and three of the Cowboys, okay. Jason Garrett was two and three. Jake Carret like ten years to do this. I didn't lies this context. I spent a lot of time living in North Carolina, and when I got there, there was no pro sports in North Carolina. Was college basketball was the thing for years. It was all about Dean Smith is really good, but he can't win the big one, and he finally did win it and ended up winning two. Mike Shewsky five straight final fours, could not win the national championship. Lot he got a monkey on your back. The great Tom Landry here next year's champion. That was what was hung around them forever in a day. And my thought process is, give me a guy that that I believe can get it done.
Speaker 4: And Mike has won a Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Give me that kind of guy that is showing me he's consistently here, and at some point in time, I'm gonna bet that eventually his program and what he's doing can get us where we want to go. So many times I think people hit that eject button and it's like Jay Wright and Villanova had a couple of things, but he was knocking on the door too.
Speaker 4: Finally got through.
Speaker 3: I was in Cleveland with Bill Belichick and I set the most dumb as nine thing when he got fired. This guy will never win a Super Bowl. I said that and said, I bet you a rent payment. Yes I did.
Speaker 4: It's that glad.
Speaker 2: It ain't no takee.
Speaker 3: And that man check for thirteen. My rent was back to know it was like six something, But yes, yes, what do we say the guy? The guy I don't know home back then in Cleveland. But we have seen where coaches can't get better. Here's a guy who has won a Super Bowl that I would say, give me this. There are a lot of people who thought Andy Reid when he left Philadelphia shouldn't go straight to go coach Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Wait, see it. The guy got there. Pete Carroll eventually figured it out for himself.
Speaker 3: Man, And I'm not saying that Mike is going to do exactly what Belichick did or Tom Landry, but with what he's doing right now now, I would put my chips there, and haven't seen some of these other great coaches. I would tell you, give me a guy who keeps knocking on this door, and I'll take my chances there before I go out here in this marketplace. And I don't know what I am going to get right now.
Speaker 6: So it's similar to the to the Dak Prescott approach if you look at it like that, if you know, would you rather be the consistent guy that's always gonna be there or the unknown right when you talk about going through the draft or free agency, and they chose the consistent guy, which is Dak Prescott, in my opinion, was the right move. I think Mike McCarthy is one heck of a coach. Let me put that out there to begin with. I believe he's one heck of a coach. The only thing I'm saying is I can see both sides. I can see why the Jones sides are saying, Hey, you know, we wanna, we wanna. We want to pump the brakes before we get you here a little bit long term, just to see if you can do with what we brought you in here to do, which is get us.
Speaker 4: Over the hump in the postseason.
Speaker 6: But I can also see why is this respectful for McCarthy hit three straight twelve wins seasons. I'm always having y'all in the postseasons. You know where's my where's my contract?
Speaker 4: As well? I can see that from both sides. So heck, here's the wireless thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, we just saw Mike McCarthy go dismantle Kevin Stevans, set the fans. He said, a pick got contract extension, He got more security than the Mike McCarthy he did. Who would you rather have right now?
Speaker 2: Is right?
Speaker 4: I mean that's the part.
Speaker 3: I mean if you if you go around this league right now and you just say, hey, this is a better coach.
Speaker 6: Than him, ain't right.
Speaker 3: It ain't gon take long to call the role to get to get to him. You could say Mike Tomlin, you could say Andy Reid. You could point to a Kyle Shanahan, but Kyle Shanahan has not won a Super Bowl. You may want to say a Sean McVay. But but you get what I'm saying. Man, It's not many, dude, John Harball in Baltimore. But there's not many guys that you're saying right now are better. And oh, by the way, he's calling his own plays. This team got better when he became the player. Sorry about your boy, Kellen Moore.
Speaker 2: He looked good Week one. Okay, he sure did, you know.
Speaker 5: But I mean going back to what you're saying, and I think the disrespect is really what you're talking about, because it looks to me like you're coach that is three straight twelve and five seasons. You shouldn't be in this predicament. But you go back history tells you like guys like Dan Reeves, former Cowboy player Dan Reeves that at Bronco, at the Broncos when they them to the Super Bowl, but then they three three super Bowls. I mean, imagine that you get the three Super Bowls, you lose, and it's like they replace you with Mike Shanahan.
Speaker 2: Mike Shanahan comes in and.
Speaker 5: Wade Phillips hum Wade Wade, but Mike Shanahan also Wade Shanny was out the Wade. Okay, But but but I'm saying, you get you're bringing another coach that leads them to a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like, it's situations like that, where as an organization and you look at the history of it, you're like, look, if this guy can't get it done, I may be able to bring in another.
Speaker 2: Piece that advocate on the situation.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the next level. Let me give you a little context on Dan Reeves. This is how he got himself fired. He drafted a dude from here named Tommy Maddox in the first round. John Elway was none too happy. And then you ain't out here winning like you used to. You know what John said, John put lebron or not bye. I mean, so so this, you know, messing up and John Elway just wasn't a play.
Speaker 4: John Elway was an icon in the Rocky Mountain regions and the owner was like, yeah, I'm right with him, you know.
Speaker 3: And so so I was like when I looked at Dan, like yeah, that probably wouldn't play. It's like when when Belichick got rid of Bernie Colesar and he lost the fans, you know, lose the and then and of course John Elway none you shy to let you know, I ain't like this.
Speaker 4: This wasn't good. This wasn't good.
Speaker 5: So, but that's just an analogy to say that a different voice maybe in a situation like that with a team that's ultraed. You know, ubertalented that you may be able to get more out of them in a situation with a different, different voice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean because I was younger, younger at the time. But when when Tony Dungee had his whole situation there in Tampa, did did you take him to was it one.
Speaker 4: Or two NFC chance? They lost?
Speaker 3: They lost a very close game to the Saint Louis Rams in ninety nine, had a really bad call against Berda.
Speaker 2: Man, it was like, oh, oh.
Speaker 4: Probably could have won that game.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: But the and so what interesting about that is one year they were getting ready to hire Parcels and he renigged at the end. Tony came back and ended up turning it around and they started winning, and it got towards the end where it was like, hey, man, we can't get twenty points you know offensively, we got a defense, and so they made the trade.
Speaker 4: They brought in John Gruden.
Speaker 3: Gruten ended up winning the Super Bowl, and then he started running the team and getting the personnel.
Speaker 2: And it did work out for that.
Speaker 3: I mean, Keishawan, Keishan Johnson gladly tell you know.
Speaker 2: This wasn't it.
Speaker 5: But another great analogy, you know that to show where a team was under the previous leadership.
Speaker 2: They were successful.
Speaker 5: It's not like Tampa Bay by any stretch was a bad team. That defense was crazy, locking teams down. But it just seemed like Chucky came in and he got that was just that he got it.
Speaker 2: That's all he need, That's all he needed.
Speaker 5: The team was so talented that you would ask yourself like, how are they not winning it? How are they not getting there? And it was just a great disappointment each season. And here we are.
Speaker 4: And we saw what Chucky did with the Raiders.
Speaker 2: We saw what Chuck did with the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Gave all that controls gain control in Tampa Bay, let him start making decisions. And then yeah, he said talk to Key Shan.
Speaker 4: Boy. He will gladly warrants that.
Speaker 3: There's a list of guys that will sit up here and tell you their issues with him. And the quarterbacks were never developed under There's a whole lot about was a Chucky Smith got a Super Bowl? Give your credit, like Barry switch, you got it done. You got We cannot take that away from you. But Tony also showed you when he went to Indianapolis that Okay, I am that coach.
Speaker 4: I can't go get it done.
Speaker 3: But it's very hard. I just want to keep emphasizing it's very hard to find the right guy. And when you have this type of winning and type of success, it's not going to be easy to just Okay, find Mike. We're gonna go hire whoever and this young kid to do this or that.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a challenge.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get our last break in here. Let's dive into the draft class of the Dallas Cowboys and the way they perform against the Cleveland Browns with Heck Maharrison Barry Church on new scortch Players Note Bought You by Risktocratic Gaming on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 11: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their powerpacksmoothies with over ten grams of protein with real fruits and organic veggies. Because as Smoothie King, what you see is what you sip. So grab a delicious Smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your job and gets sipping real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Hey there, Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 7: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National problem gambling helpline at one hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 9: Raising Caines presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve, no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day Canes rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one love go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: To the players Loud.
Speaker 5: Come shop at the Star in Frisco on Saturday, September twenty eighth, from ten am to four pm at Flea Style Market at the Star presented by Marketplace by Michaels, featuring fifty plus local makers, offers art, fashion, home to corp, jewelry and kids item Markets at the Star is always a favorite. Admission is free. Visit the Star District dot com for more information.
Speaker 3: Hag Maharrison Thank you very much, Players nowand brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. Got Barry Church here, former Cowboys Safety. A new instructs Cowboys getting ready to take on the New Orleans Saints the opener at Jerry World. Both teams are undefeated teams, dominating in their first victories of the year. Carolina getting dragged by the Saints forty seven to ten.
Speaker 2: Drug hit up.
Speaker 3: One of my friends works over there. They're like, yeah, it's gonna be long year, long year. And then the Cowboys took apart the Cleveland Browns thirty three to seventeen. One thing and I brought I talked about this summer report for Channel five. After the Browns got that field goal, the next ten possessions six punts, two interceptions, and got the ball over on downs twice. That was the next ten possessions. That is taking the woodshed to somebody. Man, Yeah, I mean that, I mean that's crazy, man. Next ten nothing, nothing man.
Speaker 4: That that was impressive.
Speaker 3: And then of course the Browns you start looking about third down two of eleven, eighteen point two percent. We were concerned about, you know, their ability to run the ball thirty five yards rushing this this, I mean, this was one of those truly awful performances. And I understand they didn't have their tackles, and Michael Parsons was very kind afterwards talking about that and saying, you know, Deshaun is still a tough guy to get down and they're gonna be better.
Speaker 4: But bro, this, this, this.
Speaker 2: They have the same agent. You know, that's a little you know what teaching me.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, you're right, you know, but he got his two thirty. Yeah, Watson's guaranteed to say whatever you want to about but yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: But but you know the thing for me when you we rattle off those those stats men, going back to what you were just talking about, the last time you saw the Dallas Cowboys, Jones was running all over them and and that's that was all that was in your mind headed into this game.
Speaker 2: We were talking about forward. We're like, they don't have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sleep on him and a guy behind him and the guy behind him, because they're gonna find a way to have some success. You knew who was on the injury report, You knew that Wills wasn't going to be able to play, and none of that mattered because it just seems like any team can plug and player running back and can get downhill on the Cowboys in a hurry, this game.
Speaker 2: It was the complete opposite.
Speaker 5: Now, can't coach Zimber maintain that effort on defense? And I think that obviously bringing in a guy that is known to neutralize the running game was beneficial to this team.
Speaker 2: That's huge.
Speaker 6: And when you talk about Parsons, what he's able to do, that's the type of game. If he can do that consistently, then you start talking about, you know, defensive Player of the Year awards. When a guy can go out there and not only if you know, get after the quarterback the way he did with nine pressures, but affect the run that passes in the air, that leads to interceptions. That's what you love to see when you're talking about a Parsons guy out there like that for the Defensive Player of the year a war. But I mean another fact going towards McCarthy is, like you said, he stayed within himself and he didn't put this team that risk. Look what the Browns did, Like you're known for being a physical called downhill team, they ran the ball believe what was it twelve or sometimes towards.
Speaker 2: The end they started giving it a little bit.
Speaker 6: They got away from it, like the first second series of all right on the you design.
Speaker 3: They did end up in ninety three yards, but the competitive phase of the football game, each of the first three quarters man ended up with thirty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fourth coach, he just went away from it quick.
Speaker 5: And I think that when you have a defense that's making you abandon the running game, that was. It wasn't because they wanted to, it was because they couldn't. And so like you, and I agree wholeheartedly with you on what you said about the missile.
Speaker 2: If he can continue this.
Speaker 5: Effort for the next sixteen games, and he was everywhere, well yes, but newly.
Speaker 4: But okay, here's here's the butt.
Speaker 3: They were missing their two tackles, and even he said it after the game, and what are you supposed to go do against some backups and that trick, that's what it did. Gonna be a little different, gonna be a little bit different going on. And he's he said that, that's what he said. And then he said, man, I probably missed three sacks. But he also talked about, hey, I've been those three sacks. Because Deshaun is a tough guy.
Speaker 2: To get down.
Speaker 3: He was he was good after the game, but but he was a he was what you're supposed to be you got a mismatch.
Speaker 4: You know you're going You're going against you know Akron, You're supposed to go there Cross, Hey, what you got against?
Speaker 3: I was right down the road saying they got no football team. I wasn't gonna say Northern Illinois because they be going to the I know, man, I know it's black on black crime, black coach war, Barcus Robinson getting killed. I asked Steve Berline, like He's like, man, I was there, Man, it's not good.
Speaker 2: Walkas had the right there.
Speaker 4: Check on.
Speaker 3: Compet us, compet us, Thank you very Chris means everybody's a part of this. Is players line about to you by Richo Crack Game. We'll do it tomorrow to be him sent right here on Dallas Doc Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.