Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Well, we started today with a big pop and shares of AMD, this after it inked the landmark deal with open Ai to build out infrastructure, giving the chip maker a chance to challenge in video in the computing industry. Now, this comes on the same day as open AI's annual Developers Day of Developers Day, where we've seen a lot of stocks including Thigma, HubSpot, Cisco, Mattel just to name a few, also moving significantly on based on some of the comments coming out of that conference. Joining us right now is Ed Ludlow. He is at that conference and he's joined right now by the CEO of open Ai, Brad Lightcap.
Speaker 2: Ed. Yeah, and the headline is the ability to use third party apps within chat GPT, and the profound impact on the market was simply those name checked saw their stocks move in a significant way. Delighted to speak once again with Brad Lightcap that it's just simple as that, as that really the ability to be within chat GPT and access Spotify or Figma as two examples. When you were discussing the idea of that and an API access with those partners, was it a tough negotiation to get them on board with the idea.
Speaker 3: No, I mean that we've seen enthusiasm for this from the beginning. You remember, way back when we were lost something called plugins.
Speaker 4: Back in the early days of chat ept.
Speaker 3: This was one of our first attempts to start to build an ecosystem around chat GPT so that chat ept can start to engage with and interact with the applications that are important to you in your personal life and at work. And now we really have a.
Speaker 4: Much richer surface through MCP.
Speaker 3: And other protocols to be able to bring applications into chat ept and for really to allow you to engage with chat GPT in the kind of work around work right, it's the contextual aspect of I'm doing X, or I need why I'm on a road trip and I want to know what playlist would go well with this in the context of my broader trip planning. That allows you now to kind of use chat GPT to solve that high level task and then also integrate apps contextually to solve those specific problems.
Speaker 2: And we're in a place where chat GPT has become more of an operating system. Whether that was your ambition or not, is that where you want to take it to be an OS and a developer driven platform. It's almost like an app store, you know, on paper based on what you announced this afternoon.
Speaker 3: Well, we've always thought of chatgybt as like a super assistant.
Speaker 4: We never set out to build a chatbot.
Speaker 3: We always wanted to build something that was really true to you and what your preferences.
Speaker 4: Are, what your goals are. They could actually help you achieve more.
Speaker 3: And so I think part of that is CHATGIBD having an appreciation and understanding of the applications in your life that are important, and I think enabling that kind of connectivity and interoperability makes Chattibt Richard also enables a lot of pass through for people to be able to engage with apps they love it as well as new apps.
Speaker 5: The pass through bit is interesting.
Speaker 2: Were their concerns with some of those technology companies you're partnering with that.
Speaker 5: It would take traff they away from there?
Speaker 3: In domains now, I think mostly people are really focused on building into new interfaces.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: This is just like mobile in some sense, where you have a new interface, you have a new form factor. People are going to want to use mobile form factors on the go and apps like.
Speaker 4: Spotify in some ways exist.
Speaker 3: Almost because they really nail mobile and so we think, actually there's an opportunity for builders to create entirely new applications that are even native to chat GPT, and of course for services you love to be able to benefit there too.
Speaker 2: Is there a revenue sharing agreement with those third parties whose apps are accessible to we chat GPT.
Speaker 3: So we're going to figure out the economics of this over time. You know, we're brand new here. Plugins was the first version of this and that was even an experiment, and so like everything at Opening Eye, we take this very experimental mindset to making.
Speaker 4: Sure we get it right.
Speaker 3: But the idea is we do we do want to build something that's useful for developers, and of course there's going to be you know, have to be some exchange in there of economics and value, and we'll have to figure out to get that right.
Speaker 2: You have hit eight hundred million active weekly users. You announced on stage. Actually Greg Brockman told me that at eight o'clock this morning, and maybe we missed it, but it's a significant milestone. All the time, I'm asked by all kinds of people, do we have any sense of within that eight hundred million, how many are base level free users and how many are premium level paid subscribers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a very healthy, you know, funnel of people that choose to pay for chatchubut.
Speaker 4: You know, it's surpassed for my expectations.
Speaker 3: Frankly, were people have this kind of conception that consumers tend to not pay for software and you know, similar even to what I was saying before around how do you co develop the product alongside the business model. Chatchbt is a great example of that, where the subscription model I think has been really a testament to how valuable it is for more users than I think we expected to be willing to pay for it. So we don't, I think, just close the exact number, but it's a healthy amount and more every day.
Speaker 2: Open AI in the beginning went off the consumer for uses aggressively. You are now very focused on the enterprise business. What is the strategy for that and how do you prioritize your enterprise business?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad you asked about that.
Speaker 3: So really today's announcements actually I think target what are an important set of use cases for the enterprise things we've been hearing enterprises ask us about now for some time, so specifically, one is we now have an ability for enterprises to build agents in a much more visual, much more intuitive way. You've heard us say twenty twenty five has been the year of agents. We think that's true. Codex has been a great example for us of that. Our coding agent now available through an API.
Speaker 5: Also, the lead time to make software is a lot shorter.
Speaker 4: It's gotten a lot shorter.
Speaker 3: I think you saw today we demoed live demo, I think three or four different things that we've built in real time.
Speaker 4: We expect that to continue to be to the trend.
Speaker 3: Things like Agent Builder allow enterprises to be able to build agentic experiences, powerful identic experiences on the go, iteratively and connected into the tools and sources of information that matter for the business.
Speaker 2: The data point that jumps out me is your API is handling more than six billion tokens per minute, and that helps explain why the AMD deal, you know, which is focused on inference. You are involved in all of these domains of the company. I've already asked Greg, but I've got to ask you, how are you going to finance yet another infrastructure project? Like is there going to be some debt here specific for the AMD capacity, and how do you move quickly to get it online?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the high level thing is we are tremendously compute constrained. It feels like we're in this kind of recurring theme of being compute constrained. And I think the reason for that is the answer to the question you ask, which is demand. Right, we see there are multiples of demand that are lateent and untapped from what we have today. And even today, obviously by any standard, demand in revenue growth has been torrid in its pace, and so really we have to invest ahead of that.
Speaker 4: And I think that's going to be the.
Speaker 3: Ray limitter for us to be able to go capture demand, whether it's consumer or enterprise, and for us to be able to build new models, paralyze more experiences, more product experiences, and then enable users specifically to be able to use those.
Speaker 4: Products more actively in their daily life at work and at home.
Speaker 3: And so, you know, even things like Sora, the app we just launched, we wish we could invite more people onto it now, but we just need more compute. So the AMD deal we're excited about being you know, directionally a way for us.
Speaker 5: To do that.
Speaker 2: I've got to ask about the report that open AI closed secondary or the ability for employees to sell shares at a five hundred billion dollar valuation. I already asked you this question, but what is the metric we're supposed to judge your success by the five hundred billion dollar valuation? The six billion tokens per minute? To you, Frad, what is it?
Speaker 3: For me? It's it's actually kind of a metric that we we talked about is tokens. It's you mentioned six billion tokens per minute on our That is the purest for me.
Speaker 4: The kind of essence of utility is that consumption metric.
Speaker 3: And so we've actively tracked that metric to see how people's consumption of AI is growing over time. And you see this happen in amazing ways. So things like Codex, for example, we've seen grow ten x since August purely on consumption of tokens around coding, and you start to see that same pattern emerge across multiple lanes of use and across multiple areas of work. And that's the metric I look at because if that number is going up, it means people are using us for more things, and that's the ultimate Goal.
Speaker 5: Brad Lightcap is open ai Coo.
Speaker 2: There has been a fire hose of headlines and it is moved markets all day long.