Speaker 1: And welcome into another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Bouel Territory Network, Detroit Tiger's podcast. I am curiocetctly with me as always as a man who was neither a billionaire nor a coastal elite. He is Cody Stavenagg. And how are we doing.
Speaker 2: Doing all right? Kieren? You know what? Both of those things are accurate. I can't dispute it.
Speaker 1: Well, we are recording this Thursday early evening and Thursday morning we got some big news in tiger Land, and I think that's probably the most appropriate place to start the long awaited but not as long as I think we would have thought. Twenty four hours ago, debut of Max Clark is upon us. Cody Emily Walden over at Baseball America, a long time Tiger's contributor to the media space, broke the news.
Speaker 3: You also confirmed it this morning. How about that? Like that was kind of my first thought.
Speaker 1: I was, you know, I was mentally prepared for this once the calendar page turned to August, but I was not prepared for this at the end of July. So, uh, you know, get us right off the top here. Congratulations to Max Clark. I very much look forward to watching Max Clark play major League baseball. I very much looking forward, look forward to talking with you about Max Clark and what his potential is, and you know, all these things.
Speaker 3: So that all that will have plenty of time for that space.
Speaker 1: But given the state of the team and given what we expect to kind of go down over the next couple of days, Cody.
Speaker 3: This did kind of feel odd. Is that is that? Is that okay for me to say?
Speaker 1: It felt odd because I.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're trying to signal here? Is it a distraction? These are the things that went through my head, So I like, tell me where I'm off base here?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like you said, Kieren, first off, congrats to Max Clark. Very talented player. You know, went through some ups and downs this year, had a really killer July to earn his way to this point. Over one thousand ops in the month of July really turned it on to the point he was knocking on the door. This is still a little sooner than certainly I was expecting. I don't know that the tea leaves, what I had heard from the team had ever quite hinted toward this, And so I'm kind of glad you're asking those questions, Kieran, because I was certainly asking them too, And I think there were some people in the in the baseball world talking about this today because the timing just feels a little bit curious. Let's start. The Tigers, for the most part, have been a very process oriented organization, very focused on every little aspect of asset management. And that's why I had typically said this will probably happen after around August fifteenth, kind of the date that determines whether players can retain their rookie eligibility. Why that matters goes back to like the prospect promote incentive. So if Clark doesn't exhaust his rookie eligibility, he can come back next year. If he makes the big league roster one opening day, goes out, has a great year, wins Rookie of the Year, you get draft pick. It seems like the Tigers care about little things like that for the most part, but I guess they don't in this case. One reason I wonder, you know, there's a lot of uncertainty for what next year will hold, even what next year's CBA would look like. The promotion incidentive has been a big success. I would assume that's going to stick around. But I don't know. Maybe you don't play a full year, or maybe you missed the season, or maybe you know that's one reason you shouldn't get two in the weeds.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But I've heard from a couple other people today mentioning that the uncertainty of next year could almost incentivize teams to not call up prospects at all. You just added Max Clark to the forty man roster, which means if there's a lockout, that boy ain't playing anywhere, right, Whereas if you don't, he could potentially still play in the minors, he could dive whatever. And now let's say you only play two thirds of a season or something like that, I assume there will be pro rated service time. Max Clerk gets all that pro rated service time. So we're thinking way ahead here, right. I guess in some ways you could applaud the Tigers for, hey, this kid looks ready, we're gonna call them up, right, even though we know this organization doesn't always operate with things being quite that black and white, you could interpret this as a signal of hey there man, oh yeah, the Tigers really are trying to win. They want to win so much they're gonna call it Max Clark without any regard to service time or prospect promotion incentive or whatever. You could also say, I don't know, man, is this just a straight pr move. They're about to trade Schooble, They're about to maybe tear down the rest of the team. They're trying to soften the blow by bringing up Max Clark. So I don't know. I mean, it just feels a little bit odd, and I hate to say this. I'm not trying to take the shine off. I'm pretty excited to watch Max Clark play in the big leagues, and obviously he's a big part of this team's future. You get a longer look at him that can maybe inform how you go about constructing next year's team. But with all this swirling like, one of my first thoughts is, well, why not just wait a couple more weeks? Or here's another thought. Right now, As of now, unless they have some other surprise moves coming, Max Clark is going to stroll up on to Sacramento and James Outman is still in this roster. They're pretty close to duplicate players, and with Hovey Bay is coming and taking over a lot of time in center field. I was already I asked a J. Hinch about this two days ago, like, what is Outman's role? And if Outman's role is a late game defensive replacement, maybe every now and then he plays, that's not very valuable. That's pretty much a dead roster spot. I would assume the presence of Max Clark means even less playing time for James Outman, which is like, well, why is he here? And if you're just doing this to win, why didn't you swap Clark for Outman a few days ago? These are the questions that go through my mind, and it makes me wonder if the Tigers actually didn't have the best process here, regardless of what their actual ambition is from making this move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like one of the things that I that I believe has kind of gone wrong for this team is that timelines have not met up. Like you have Parker Meadows occupying center field the majority of the time. He gets hurt really early, presumably they would say too early for Max Clark to kind of even be a supplemental role on the major league team, right, And then Wentzel Perez also gets hurt later in the year, and and I obviously Hobby gets hurt early in the year. And like all these guys that would kind of be like in his way, it never really seemed like they were serious. And I have been on the record on this show is saying is it never really seemed like they were serious about kind of bringing them up, which you know, okay, like this is a long term play for Max Clark because you very much believe in his talent. That's fine with me, But that stuff, Cody doesn't necessarily Matt what this move, you know, pending more information that we could get, you know, would dictate right because you know, by the way, you still have Ben Maljerry on this roster that could play some center field in a pinch, right, Like you know, like they're the list of people that have kind of been ahead of Max is longer than I think people realize unless you just start listening them out and like to your point, the two weeks thing, what was that gonna bring? Like is that is that is that gonna be worth it down the line? Hell maybe you know, like maybe the CBA Brenders that irrelevant, who knows, But it just kind of feels a little bit more of a out of character transaction than what we're used to seeing from this team. Now, it should be worth noting that Matt Vierling exited the game with a.
Speaker 3: Was it Groiner Hampster.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's nothing official yet, but this since is like, this is probably a corresponding move for vier Lane, we'll.
Speaker 1: See, yeah, and so then the so then the question becomes what is best for Max Clark long term?
Speaker 3: Is it to continue to hit at the.
Speaker 1: Top of the order, play center field in Toledo for a couple of weeks or is it better for him to Is he gonna play center? Is he gonna play some ride? Is he gonna play some left? Is he gonna you know, where is he gonna be in this batting order? Probably not gonna be at the top, you know, what's best for him long term?
Speaker 3: I would like to see more or hear more.
Speaker 1: From the team about why this was the best move for him, and then how is it going to move this team moving forward? Because, like you said, you could have really done this anytime within the past two weeks, past two weeks, and the and the like development arc would essentially be the same as bringing him up now, right, So so yeah.
Speaker 3: It is a little puzzling.
Speaker 1: I think it could signal like, we're not gonna know what this signals until basically Monday night. Does it signal that it's a complete youth movement for the you know, latter half of the latter part of this season. Maybe does it signal that we just need a spark and we and we're and he's like our best available player, so we're gonna bring him up and we're still gonna try to go for it. Maybe is it a signal that, you know, Max Clark was always under the understanding that when if the team needed him and and and there was something at stake, he would be part of that plan. Maybe we know we've seen them do this with players in the past, where it's like they are part of the team or whatever. So all that all that is at play, and we'll probably have a better click sure, a better picture of it come Monday night, just like we will have a better picture of everything come Monday night. All right, real quick, Cody, before we get into some trade uh discussions. I did want to you know, we're recording this just after the news broke that Jake Rogers was as a part of his DFA traded to the Baltimore Orioles, who, as obviously everybody knows, had a couple of injuries to the catcher position, and in return, the Tigers got a twenty four year old right handed pitcher, Zane Barnhardt, who was assigned to double a eerie four innings of work or excuse me, forty innings of work this season four or five era. He's a reliever with forty five strikeouts. So got an arm in exchange for Jake Rogers, so that piece of this is no longer hanging over the trade deadline and whether he could be a part of some other package or whatever. So the Jake Rodgers era officially moves over to Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Wish him all the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. I was hoping Jake could stay there in Texas and play for his hometown Rangers. But they went and got Logan o'hoppy, so they set their heights a little bit higher. Hello, Jake Spurre defend of note.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, moving on to trade deadline, staring down the barrel of the trade deadline, and again, if you guys want our immediate reaction to tark schoolbls presumed last start in Detroit Ford Detroit. You can go listen to our Thursday episode. I know we were released right around the time as the Max Clark news, so it kind of got swallowed up in that. But we talked with Austin Jackson about it, kind of all the emotions you know, of that day, and and now we kind of look at it. We can look at it a little bit more analytically. It seems like now everybody from the Jeff Passons to the Ken Rosenthals of the world, like, do believe that Tarrek Schoogle will be traded at the trade deadline and maybe early in the trade deadline as teams presumably want to get that move established one way or another and then kind of pivot if they have to pivot, like they lose the Terek Schoogle Sweepstakes, not like at deadline deadline. So Jeff Passon wrote something interesting, Cody. He wrote about the Tigers. He said, you know, you know they got all these pieces blah blah blah blah. Obviously we all know this, but they played to the ten percent tile of possible outcomes this year. And and and I'm glad that he said that because I needed somebody who's not in it every day, like even even like people who are non biased can just kind of get like sucked into seeing things every day and maybe not having as clear a mind as someone with a thirty thousand foot view. And so Jeff Passing putting that out there, I thought was an excellent point. And there is a possibility that this ends up being a blessing for the Tigers. I know nobody really wants to hear that, but you look at all the trades that have happened throughout, you know, the course of major League Baseball history, It's like, oh, they traded that guy, and this guy ended up being in return. He was a key piece of World Series run, et cetera. So that's that's the burden that Scott Harris has right now. The confidence level in Scott Harris right now is low. He is not the most popular executive in Detroit, in Major League Baseball right now. I did want to make I have a thought bubble. See if you want, if you want to pop it or if you agree, is this inn can Is this like a possible easy short term win for Scott Harris at the trade deadline? Let me explain most of the time, like almost every single trade that the Tigers make like this, you know, the next couple of days, specifically schoobl is going to have high profile, popular, full of potential prospects, so everyone is immediately like, once you get over the Schoobl sorrows, everyone's immediately going to look toward the shiny new toys and they're gonna be at least excited about them. Because again, if the Tigers are going to get a haul like everyone's predicting like this is going to be, this is gonna dull the pain a little bit and for at least a couple months, you're gonna be able to say, like, look, this didn't work out.
Speaker 3: We made the school move, but look what we got.
Speaker 1: Long term that's different, but short term it almost I almost think it almost be hard to like f this up because it's like this, like this is you have the best trade chip in years, so like you're gonna get top notch talent in return, at least in short term, people should be at least excited about what you get.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean trading for prospects is acquiring hope, and you can skirt by on hope. For a little bit. I got all of you through a few dark years. It was a little different. So he was tesked with a full scale rebuild, right, but you were able to sell that and sell that, and so you weren't anymore. And sometimes you're able to sell that and it comes to fruition and everything is great. Yeah, I'm moving forward with the belief that the Tigers are trading Derek Schougle. I think actually at this point the most interesting thing is are they going to trade Casey Mize or Glaber Torres or be injured Jack Flaherty, Because we've talked about it, like are they gonna thread the needle? It's you know, they're still gonna try to win maybe, And I kind of believe that. And I think you talked about they played to their the bottom ten percentile of outcomes. That's true. Look at their run differential, look at a lot of other advanced stats that suggest this should be a better team than it is record wise, and maybe that's some incentive to not just tear everything down. So then it's like, well, how what are you making these decisions based on? Torres accepted the qualifying offer, so you can't give him another one. So if he leaves as a free agent, he leaves for absolutely nothing. You got a young guy and how you Lee who's come up and played pretty well. That to me would indicate m he's probably trade glaber Torres. Myze is maybe the more interesting one. He's an important part of your rotation, but he is eligible for a qualifying offer. There's a chance that you could keep them and be content with the Dragon pick. At the same time, Myz is probably one of the best five starters on the trade market right now, and what's supposed to be a seller's market. I believe you could get a top one fifty type prospect for Casey Mize, how you lead type maybe slightly even better type prospect for Casey Mize. And so if you're going to stomach trading school, why when you may be stomach trading Mize too. And that's the thing. We haven't got a lot of information about the Tigers outside Schooble still keeping a lot of stuff on the extreme download right now. I expect we'll start to hear more chatter, you know, in the next twenty four forty eight hours. But I think that's kind of still the big existential question in front of them, and then if you trade Scooble, Mize Tores maybe others, can you actually still sell the idea that, oh, hey, we're trying to win, because really, if you do that, you're it's not that you're trying to lose, but you are. Look, you're tearing down the roster and you're reshaping things, and hey, maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle. Because I'm not calling this Tiger season over. Still, this American League is so bad even minus Schooble. If tree Melton keeps throwing the way he is, you get a little more out of from Rivaldez. Like no that I mean, I don't think it's over, but I do think, especially especially in the case of Schooble, the responsible thing to do. I think the writing is on the wall. You kind of got to trade him and get what you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have also come to that conclusion, which is why I decided to come up with a few Trek Schooble mock trades. So everybody does this exercise in their own way.
Speaker 3: And what I.
Speaker 1: Wanted to do Cody was I, as I said before, like the Tigers executives have to have these like kind of boxes the check as to like what they're gonna accept for Trek Schooble, and so my boxes the check would be again, if it's gonna be and he's the greatest like trade chip that you know, trade deadline time in years or whatever, like I'm gonna go into it with like high expectations. I believe Scott Harris is going to go into it with high expectations. So I wanted a top notch prospect, preferably, uh, preferably somebody who has a hit tool that that you like, anticipate, liked pretty easily could play right away. And then I also want a young arm. Didn't necessarily have to be a major league arm. I know that's what the scuttle bud is about the Tigers, Like they want like a major league arm right away. I get that, but I just I just didn't want to go into into those waters. But I did want an arm, and then I just want I wanted some upside plays, like I think, I think if you're gonna trade tech Schooble, I think you try to talk about threading the needle. I think you thread the needle about something that you have a pretty good idea of what you're getting a wild card and then a lottery ticket. It's kind of how I went into it. It's like cause like why not, why not, like have a lottery ticket in this and you know, see what happens. So first one I'll do is the Milwaukee Brewers, who have you know, your boy Pat Murphy has had a phenomenal time over there in Milwaukee, and they just continued to churn out wins and play like a fun brand of baseball. Like I think I think a lot of Tigers fans could stomach Trek Schoogle pitching for the Milwaukee Brewers.
Speaker 3: Maybe nothing team we'll talk.
Speaker 1: About next, but but I think that makes a lot of sense. And they're also loaded, like as a farm system, they have a lot of fun pieces. So just to get go through it, I'd have Luis Penya Andrew Fisher, Bishop Letson, and Diego Frontato. So Luis Penyasu is the number two prospect in baseball according.
Speaker 3: To your colleague Keith Law. He is a shortstop.
Speaker 1: You bet, He's a right handed shortstop and one of those guys that a lot.
Speaker 3: Of teams seem to be really excited for.
Speaker 1: And he is only nineteen years old and he's doing pretty well at hi A right now, so it seems like he's on a nice trajectory. I didn't want to do the top prospect over there. Jesus moday looks like Jesus made. Jesus made because I figure I feel like he will be untouchable. But Luis Pana feels like that one might be, that one might be had is, particularly because he's not as close to the major leagues.
Speaker 3: Andrew Fisher is a corner infield.
Speaker 1: Prospect who is who left handed, who seems like you can play third. They're playing him at first, seems like the power is there. It seems like the thing that's going to carry him to the major leagues, and then you kind of figure it out from there. Bishop Letson, right handed pitcher, fastball, sinker, sweeper extension at seven and a half feet Cody seems like that's something that the Tigers brass would like to like to work with. And then Diego Frontato shortstop born in two thousand and eight. That's a lottery ticket. Just kind of see what happens. One of the various international signings that the Brewers kind of made their money on, and just kind of, like I said, seventeen years old, see what happens and make that like the long term asset from the school trade. So elite young infield prospect that would be Penya corner prospect with pop potential that would be Forsher young system arm with tools to manage that would be Letson. And then the lottery ticket that would be from Tato. So that thought process. Cody, how do you feel about that thought process and approaching a Milwaukee Brewer's trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in terms of the overall value that would be going back to the Tigers, I think you're in the right ballpark. It's not you're not really shooting for the moon there, but you're getting a pretty strong return. I think that feels realistic to me. Now, sure seems like the Tigers are going to want some pitching, some major league ready pitching. Logan Hinderson as a guy with the Brewers, that's kind of most commonly thrown out there, and to me, I think that makes sense, especially if they're going to do the thread the needle thing. You just need someone to be able to fill spots in the rotation. Painia, You know, this is a guy that's often mocked to the Tigers, right because He's not Aesus made, but he's still an intriguing talent. It's also a little bit of a polarizing prospect. There's a little bit of swinging myss there. I believe struggled against off speed at times. I think it's really going to depend on the Tigers valuation of him. Luis Laura is a guy in their farm system. I would almost have circled maybe before Paynia. He's a shorter guy, but he's an outfielder, which you could argue maybe fits Detroit's needs a little more. They already kind of have a lot of infield prospects when you think Jordan Yost, Bryce Rayner, even Max Anderson, which brings me to Andrew Fisher, Like, I don't know power at can't really feel We've seen a lot of those guys around here. I'm kind of ready to get away from that profile. So I would be looking to target at least one of the outfielders in the Brewers system Luis Laura or josh Adam Shesky if I said that anywhere close to right. But we're kind of splitting hairs right when you go over these mock trades and who's you know, who's really the guy in each farm system in terms of you know what fans should expect, though, I think you got close to the right level a value.
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's go to the vaunted I I said, Brooklyn, Los Angeles Dodgers old soul over here. Los Angeles Dodgers the bane of the general baseball fans existence if you believe Twitter.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Hell they they have the high payrolls, but they also have one hell of a farm system, Cody. So if you do want to trade with the Dodgers, like there's a play throw of options and you talk about needs kind of matching up. There's some teams I didn't go to because their farm system it needs just doesn't really match up with what they have, doesn't really match up.
Speaker 3: With the Tigers. Dodgers is the opposite. Like everything kind of aligns pretty well.
Speaker 1: So there's there's three prospects that you know, grab everybody's attention that would be a host, Suay Depaula and Mike Serota, and I went with the third.
Speaker 3: I went with Zaire.
Speaker 1: Hope as my leading prospect on this on this list, he is Keith Law's twenty six ranked prospect. A left handed hitting and left handed fielding outfielder not really gonna be in center field. I like maybe in a pinch, but they doesn't really project that way. The arm plays a little.
Speaker 3: Bit better.
Speaker 1: Than some people think. And here's something that I like. He has cut his wift rate and his strikeout rate year over a year.
Speaker 3: He is twenty one years old.
Speaker 1: So this is a guy that like, it's like the numbers aren't gonna be sexy when you just look at, you know, the baseball card numbers with the walks and the and the strikeouts. But it's an improvement that he's made a year over year. And he also has twenty one home runs this season, which his previous high was thirteen. So this is a guy who's come into his body a little bit. I've seen I've seen some people say it looks like a running back, you know, So like, you know, there's a athletic profile there.
Speaker 3: That is intriguing to me.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't seem like he would get in anybody's way that you you know that you've mentioned. Or as the Tigers as sent here for a pitcher, I went with River Ryan, the forty one rank prospect on Keith Law's board. He is upper nineties fastball slider. People like his accuracy. He is MLB ready, he is already in the Major League Baseball, but he has injury concerns, so that would be why, like he might be available for a Schooble type. And then this is the most fun one I put down, Kendall George. I I I would love to see the Tigers get Kendall George. So this is like, this isn't a lottery ticket. It's twenty one years old. He's a left handed hitting, left handed throwing outfielder. The dude might be the fastest guy in professional baseball. That's what people are saying. And so like, hey, how about we just get somebody that we know exactly how he could help us win games?
Speaker 3: You know, you put him in the game.
Speaker 1: He's got he's got good numbers, better numbers than you think, but with no power he has. I don't think he has a home run yet this year. But he does hit the ball well, he does get on base. He's kind of like the Willie Mays Hayes thing. Just hit the ball on the ground and beat it out. And I think that's that's a fun that's a fun asset to have in your farm system. So to kind of summarize, you have an upside near major league outfield bat, you have a major league ready pitcher, and then an asset of an outfielder that you know can help you win games moving forward. So that's my Dodgers. That's my Dodgers package.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like this trade package. I really liked Zayer Hope. I also like Mike Serota. I'd be happy with either one of them. River Ryan, you know, yeah, he's been hurt, but this guy's pretty good even though he's twenty seven. I think he's an arm the Tigers would love to have. And then really any other throw in you can get from their system is probably going to be a quick quality players. They're one of those reminders that not all farm system rankings are created equal. They're fourteenth best prospect is probably better than a lot of teams fourth best prospect. I do wonder the Dodgers are maybe the one team right they kind of hold the trump card, I think with how good their system is, with how much high end talent is available both in their system and they're pitching staff. Even guys who are already at the major league level could you get even more from the Dodgers. Could you get a Saroda and a Hope and one of the arms? Could you? I don't think you're going to really depalla, but you know, could you? If the Dodgers really want to get this done, and if they want to make it easy, these things usually aren't easy. If they want to make it easy, it could be that way if there were a team to go above and beyond, even though the Dodgers still don't like losing trades, but if there were a team that wanted to go above and beyond to get Trek Scooble in pursuit of a third straight World Series title, it would be the La Dodgers. That's one reason. As you know, some people are saying this trade could happen the next twenty four or forty eight hours. I don't. One reason I still think it could go down to the wire now that I said that will probably happen like before this episode publishes. One reason I still think it could go down to the wire is it might be I could see Scott Harris trying to hold out for just a little more value from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: If there's an offer that includes Hope and Serota. That like, you send that into the league office before they change their mind, because Soota is like, honestly, like one of the more complete prospects in baseball. Uh. He's got like a near a near even split with his walk to strikeout ratio, and he could play center field. He is a right hander, you know, if that matters. He's still coming into his body even though he's twenty three years old. That's part of the reason why I went with Hope because I figured the Dodgers would want.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, they're not going to trade Seroda. Yeah, yeah, I don't know that bad do you want?
Speaker 3: How bad do you want? Schooble? Oh?
Speaker 1: That that brings us to our next uh trade team that's the Tampa Bay Rays, And really like that this like their strengths don't really align with the Tigers needs. So really this is a Theo Gillen discussion, and it's like, hey, can Theo Gillen and anything else, like name it, anything else work? And if the answer is no, then we just don't really have that much to talk about. So I wanted to put him on there because Theo Gillen, he's twenty years old, he's already in Double A and he's crushing like also a Texas kid like I would be a static if you could get THEO Gillan in your system, but I doubt that. It doesn't seem very Tampa bay E to get a rental pitcher for a top outfield prospect.
Speaker 3: But how bad do you want Derek Scoogle? You know what I mean? So that would that would be the thing. It's like, can we have THEO?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, click? I mean that that would kind of be the extent of my negotiations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right here. And I think the Rays they have a really good system too, but the topping guys maybe don't quite align with the Tigers as well as the Brewers or the Dodgers. You know, when they might have seen their catcher Cayden Bodine, who's a really good player, and then's well, how bad he's a switch hitting catcher. By the way, it's Scott Harri Scott love that. But how bad did the Tigers need a catcher? Dylton Dingler is still very early in his career, is going to be around a while. You have Valencia, you have Loronzo, you have Bersanio. I'm not sure any of those guys are great, gonna be great defensively, but if you can get one of them to hit a little bit and be serviceable, then you may not have a lot of catching needs for a while to come. Now, Bodine is a really good pitch framer. He's a better defender than any of those guys. But it is a little bit of a question, like to the Tigers view, that is enough.
Speaker 3: Of a need.
Speaker 2: Now you can go down in this system though, And there's some names you know who are pretty interesting, especially for those who follow the draft Slater, de Bruyn, Aiden Smith, Xavier Isaac. It just makes you wonder a little bit of like how much the Tigers could actually get here from the Rays. But it's a little bit, I think gonna depend more on their evaluation of certain guys. There's not one dude in their system other than maybe Gillen, which is like probably the guy they don't want to trade, uh to go get Trek Scoogle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he's not on any prospect lists yet because he just got drafted. But it's like do you like Grady Anderson, Like do you put the like? He was number two overall, So we're asked for anything, like, we can't do that.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can do that?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you yeah, you're right, you probably can't.
Speaker 2: Rule. Is the Incavilia rule still a thing? He used to be a thing at least.
Speaker 1: I don't or any rules irrelevant? You just like it's like a pinky promise when the CBA changes. Uh. So that's that's a that's a my bat on. But even still, like the point remains like he doesn't necessarily fill a need in your uh you know, in terms of positionally in your farm system.
Speaker 2: For the rule was was rescinded a while back. Actually, so you should not be able to trade a draft pick until a year after they were signed. I could need a rules expert to tell me what the exact rule is now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only for it to change in a couple months. So all right, let's go to the Atlanta Braves. And again, how bad do you want Trek's Schooble. I went more pitcher heavy on this package Cody than others, so you have a major league arm that they probably don't want to give up on. But again, how bad do you want Terrek Schooble and d D Didier Fuentes who is killing it this year. In thirty seven games, he's got a one point four war He is twenty one years old, right hander. He's kind of their main middle guy. You know, a couple saves or he's got one save on the season. Some people are pushing for him to be a starter, but it seems like they're kind of comfortable in that position for now. I doubt that is somebody they'd be wanting to give.
Speaker 3: Up, but you never know.
Speaker 1: And then Blake Burkhalter is a rising right hander in their system, somebody that it. You know, it's kind of converted and he's basically been a reliever since college. But you know, sometimes they try to start him, but it seems like he's kind of fit into his little role that's going to be moving forward. And then Eric Hartman, who is a left handed hitting outfielder, could be a center fielder, could be a right fielder.
Speaker 3: In High A.
Speaker 1: Cody, he's only twenty years old. He just turned twenty years old. He's got twenty four homers in High A. So, like, you know, he's off to a really nice start. I believe he's Canadian if my notes are correct. He's off to a really fast start in his professional career. So you have major league pitcher reliever, you know, kind of on the rise, and then Eric Hartman, low minor leagues but high soon to be high rising hitting prospect.
Speaker 3: That's what I have for the Atlanta Breaks.
Speaker 2: So quick note from the producers. Drafted players are eligible to become traded after the World Series of the year in which they were drafted. Okay, so glad we've got that cleared up.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: There we go. I like fwintess in the Braves offer for sure. Seems like the type of arm Tigers should like. Struck out fifty five guys and forty five major league innings this year. Hartman one of the best guys in their system. Interesting that you throw in the Burdhulter arm. That's a little bit of a twist, and hey, I don't hate it. I wonder if that's enough. Is that enough to get Trek scougle. I think it depends on how good you think Hartman is. And he's a speedy guy, which which the Tigers should should like that profile.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad you asked that question because that's that that's what makes this exercise like fun and exhausting at the same time, is that like you you obviously believe in the value of the asset that you're trading, but you don't want to get you know, just be like kind of the Homer and it's like, oh, you should give up x y Z, ABC one two three, but you don't so and or would be fair? Do you know, ask for enough in these mock trades or whatever. So that that's the challenge. I'll tell you what I think. If we're gonna make like a little you know, a little prediction corner here, the Brewers make a lot of sense to me. The Dodgers make a lot a lot of sense to me. And uh and I and I just think it it's a it's a it's a it's a mesh point has nothing to do with like, oh the Dodgers, but yeah, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: I don't care about that.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers have the best assets potentially that they could give the Tigers for Terek Schoolble services and guys that could end up being impact players for years at positions of need, that have skills that the Tigers desperately desperately need long term, because you know, they still the Tigers still kind of operate with the starting the importance of starting pitching, and the importance of power hitting, and these guys and there they have certainly prospects that you know, fit that mold, and and and again it's like, oh, well, you don't want want to give up that guy, Well about this guy? Tell you negotiate, you kind of figure out where their allegiances are, and then you say, well, what about this?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And the Dodgers have all the names lined up to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going through this exercise kind of has solidified that. Even in my mind, it's easy to see why there's so much chatter about Dodgers or Brewers. They just seem a little better, a little deeper. They seem to align with the Tigers' needs a little more than some of these other teams, although there has been a lot of talk about the Braves too. And then you circle that all back by being like, well, one reason I don't really do mock trades very often is we just don't know, right. And the Tigers know every one of these organizations deeply and intimately, and they have guys they like more than the rankings that we're mostly looking at. Right now, and they have guys they like a lot less than the rankings right now. So it's possible the Tigers think the Braves are a better fit, or it's possible that Tigers really want some guy from you know, some team where we're not even thinking of right now, the Cubs who were supposedly interested in them. So u's that's one reason these things are always hard, but it is still informed to kind of go through the exercise. You know what, if you guys have any more mock trades for Scooble or others, send them my way. I may or may not do something in print coming up. Don't spend too much time on it because it's kind of gon pend on how busy the weekend ends up being.
Speaker 3: Well, i'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: You guys can hit us up at Cody Stave and Hagen at Qan on his course Decley, And you know, first of all, love, hate and different these Google trades. I'll take all comments. You know, these these are fun exercises, but they are certainly debatable, and so that's okay. And then be sure to like and subscribe to Apple, like and subscribe on Spotify. And then we're still very close to three k on YouTube. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already.
Speaker 3: And let's just see what the weekend. This is going to be a week o'd.
Speaker 1: To remember, Cody, because we're gonna see Max Clark and we're gonna have a trade deadline that's gonna impact this organization for potentially the next eight to fifteen years. So this is gonna be a weekend to remember, and I look forward to spending it with you and with you all. So, like I said, follow us, like subscribe, because we got some big stuff coming here on trade deadline day. So for Cody Stapenhagen, I'm Kern Steckley. Everybody, have a great day.