Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan That's Dan Patrick Show. Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk Live will join us. He was the first to suggest that maybe Kirk Cousins was going to play for the Falcons because he said that he was hearing from some insiders or some people who had some information Kirk Cousins was going to move his family to Atlanta, where his wife is from, and then we started to piece it together that maybe he could end up with the Falcons, which is what happened yesterday. We'll talk to Mike about that move and some of the other ones, and Saquon Barkley going to the Eagles, Josh Jacobs, Xavier McKinney going to the Packers, and the Giants, Land Brian Burns from Carolina. Boy, do they they're going to put even more pressure on Bryce Young in Carolina. Go out there and outscore people. Even though you can't score, then you don't have any weapons other than that. Eight seven seven three DP Show email Addressdpatdanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle DP Show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock our streaming partner and our radio affiliates numbering over four hundred cities in America. The PGA Tour is going to TPC Sawgrass, the Players Championship that starts on Thursday at one Eastern on Golf Channel, NBC and Peacock. We'll bring in Cheeki Barber here. In a moment the Giants All Pro running back, he had some words to say to Saquon Barkley, or at least on his radio show. I'm going to take you back to March seventh, when we got the possibility that maybe Saquon Barkley could end up in Philadelphia, And here is Tiki on his radio show on WFA and in New York.
Speaker 3: The fact that Saquon would even contemplate going to play for that team in Philadelphia is insulting to his giant history and legacy. Saquon very well not be a New York Giant. I know that Joe Shane is having conversations, but it just doesn't feel like it's going to work out. Go to Baltimore, go to Houston, go to LA Chargers. Do not go to the Philadelphia Eagles. Because if you do, that appreciation and respect and reverence that we all have for you, Saquon will be lost.
Speaker 2: Bring in Tiki Barber. This is just good local radio content. Saquon Barkley didn't take it that way. Good morning, Tiki. How would you sum up this back and forth?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think it's really a back and forth.
Speaker 5: Then, as you know, being in the industry as long as you have been, our job is to entertain, to inform, and sometimes get a little bit visceral because that's how the fan is and they want to express themselves, but they don't often get a chance to call in and talk about it, so we do it for them. And look, that's how Giant fans were feeling about Saquon Barkley. I just happened to be the messenger that got the shrapnel from Saquon.
Speaker 4: We decided to respond to the One Day's story.
Speaker 2: Are you going to respond to his response where he says that you've been a hater's he got to New York. Well, the jed to me talk, don't smile in my face when you see me, I smile.
Speaker 5: And everybody, Dan, you know that you've beten me a couple of times.
Speaker 4: It's it's part of the job. It's part of the.
Speaker 5: I think reaction that comes from from athletes who think the media is always against them. But the reality is Giant fans loved the Saquon Barklay. It just felt like it wasn't going to work out, and now we have to worry about him running all over us for the next three or four years down in Philadelphia, and that pains us. It really does, and it pains me. So, I mean, I still like saque I wish him nothing but luck, but he also has to realize that my job for the last seventeen years has not been to be in a locker room.
Speaker 4: It has been to the voice of a fan on the fan.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, but if he had gone to the Texans or Baltimore, how would you how would you have reacted?
Speaker 4: We would have said, good luck, you know, have a great time.
Speaker 6: T J.
Speaker 5: Strouds and quarterback Demiko Rions is a fantastic young head coach. You're gonna have a ton of success and it's far enough away from us, but we're not gonna feel it. I think part of the issue Hereda is we're gonna feel this and when they have success, when him and DeVante Smith and AJ Brown and Jalen Hurts start wrecking havoc on the NFC East again. We're gonna see it, We're gonna feel it. It's gonna be right there, and it's gonna make us. It's gonna bring us back to this moment where he chose the Evils despite not being able to get a job a deal done with the New York Giants. It's not his fault, obviously, it seems like Joe shange priorities or elsewhere and restructuring this team, obviously starting with the offensive line and the defensive line, which I think is core to any good organization.
Speaker 4: But it's just close.
Speaker 5: It's down the turnpike right, We're gonna see him, and we're gonna see him twice a year.
Speaker 2: I think the Giants made a smart move. I think Saquan made a smart move. If I put you in his position, that you know this team is going to be rebuilding and you had this opportunity even though it's your bitter rival. Let's play hypothetical running back here, Tiki, you know this.
Speaker 5: You know I played ten years. I was a Giant for life. There's no way, no way I was.
Speaker 2: Never Let's say they didn't want you. Let's say they wanted to move on. They didn't want to pay you what you thought you were worth, and they didn't want to pay me.
Speaker 4: What I was.
Speaker 5: Guaranteed money to your guarantee you more than I mean, I didn't want to pay me. So I know this. I didn't have any leverage. I didn't want any leverage because they knew I wanted to stay. They knew I wanted to be in New York. They knew the relationship that I had with the organization, both mayors and the tishes, and a fan base whether they loved me or hated me. At certain points in my career, I was never going anywhere. I knew how important it was to me to be a giant for life, and I think Saquon did as well. Until the money wasn't there, I mean, went anywhere except the one place we didn't need them to go one place.
Speaker 2: Okay, then, how much loyalty should players have?
Speaker 5: It's changed so much because you know this, Dan, The money gap has been has gotten enormous. Right, the amount of resources that are now gold out to players. Money has to be a primary concern because loyalty doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: I mean, say Quon said this, and you know earlier this year and talking.
Speaker 5: About the franchise tag loyalty isn't as important as it used to be. But I would pose it Dan, that rivalry has to mean something right the core of why a sport matters.
Speaker 4: It's not just going out and entertaining and being hunky dory with one another. When it's over. It has to mean something more than that.
Speaker 5: At least that's what the fan thinks, and so I think sometimes there is a disconnect between the player and the fan. Part of that's obviously because they're on the field and the fan is not, But it has to mean something. Rivalry has to be important otherwise what the hell are we doing it for?
Speaker 2: What would you say if you see Saquon Barkley. When you see Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 5: I'm sure I will see him, I'll say good luck, and as you know, I'm happy for his career. You know, it's just a series of unfortunate events that allow his giant career not to work out that everyone had envisioned in Glenning Dave Getleman when he second.
Speaker 2: Overall, my worry is that he might run into your brother Ronde and then punch him, thinking that he was punching you. So that's Ronnie's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: Now, all right, you can't punch a hall of fame.
Speaker 2: He's a made man in the mafia. I can't. You can't punch all.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Well, you did your job about.
Speaker 4: Mafia, you did. Don't mess with him, you.
Speaker 2: Did your job.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Did you invite him on the show today?
Speaker 4: We have not. We should? Yeah, should results, yes, you know, it's funny. It's funny.
Speaker 5: Paul Schwartz, you know, and New rorkrot Paul Schwartz once told me this is what I was playing.
Speaker 4: Never react to the one.
Speaker 5: Day story, because you're making a two day story, a three day story, a four day story, and then it goes on and on and on and on.
Speaker 4: And he was right.
Speaker 5: And I'd love to get on and talk to Saquon because it's not personal. All the things that we talk about, the emotion that we have, the information that we give, the entertainment, the visco reactions, it's never personal. It's just what the fan is all about. And that's what my job is to serve as fan.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you is always thanks for joining us. TEK. Likewise, Dan b Will, that's Tiki Barber, former Giants running back and he is the co host Afternoons on w Fan Evan in Tiki starts at to Eastern. Hey, you got to reach out to Saquon Barkley. We did. We wanted to have him on and Tiki decided to join us. He's doing his job. Tiki did his job. We may not like it because he's calling out somebody for loyalty and you can't go to your bitter rival. I get all of that, But in today's game and he's speaking for the fan, he's speaking to the Giants fan base, and of course they're going to want to hear this. If he have said, hey, I Giants didn't want him, I don't blame him. I'd go to the Eagles. He'd probably stir up, you know, emotions as well. But you're playing to the home crowd. You're pandering to the home crowd by saying, I don't know if you know, Saquon is leaving his legacy behind. I don't know what his legacy is like. You want to be a Giant from start to finish, okay, but I think there has to be you got to meet somewhere in the middle, and it didn't feel like that. I think the Giants made the right decision. They're not doing anything this year, probably not next year. Why do you want to spend on that unless you go we got to have an identity, We have to have a personality we could put on the program. Well, you got Brian Burns. Now you spend a lot of money on him, and you got Danny Dimes. Good luck, Yes boy, Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 7: It's almost like premature to ding Saquon for this. He's not a giant legend. He didn't lead in a Super Bowl. Michael Strahan at thirty seve there's stories here that he wanted to play one more year and he wanted to play for the Giants, and they let him. They played him. He was still a solid player. But imagine if thirty six year old Michael Strahan only had an offer from a rival, he may have been a guy.
Speaker 8: Said no, no, no, I'll go to the media a.
Speaker 7: Year early because that wouldn't work for my legacy in New York.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I get it. You know it's your hated rival, and as a Giants fan, you don't want it like I think now, it's we hate that we lost him, and we hated even more that he's going to come back and haunt us. Get that's really what this is all about. If he went to Baltimore, he went to Houston, nobody would care in New York. But now you're going to see him. Now he's going to come to your place and you're probably going to boo it, yes, Marv.
Speaker 10: And it's also because of the running back market where no one else was offering him a three year deal. Where he's like a three year deal for how much. That's probably the best deal he definitely could have gotten. And I think Paulie said this in our meeting off off Mike A. If the agent says he we got three year, thirty seven million, I don't care what the team is, I don't care who it is, say yes right now, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he made the right decision. He went where he was going to get the best deal. I think it was a win win on both. But it's tricky with that word loyalty because that everybody has an opinion on it. Feels like we were talking about kirk Cousin. Now did kirk Cousins turn his back If kirk Cousins had gone to well, they don't have an opening in Detroit or sure, let's say went Chicago. Would they say, oh, your legacy, you turn your back if they offered you a better deal, I can't begrudge you. And I think that's what we don't factor in. How does this help that person better their life or their family. We just look at it. You know, it's a myopic view. It's about us and our fan base and how dare you do that we hate the Eagles. If he went to Baltimore, no one would care. Yes, Tod, And it's not like.
Speaker 11: The player's tongue, the agent. These are the teams that there has to be someone in the division.
Speaker 12: I want to know.
Speaker 11: I only leave because they're not giving me my money and respect. I want to stick it to them by playing them twice. That's not the case at all. It could be the Eagles, that could have been any team. He wasn't looking to go to the Eagles or stay in the NFC East to just want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if he said I only want to go to the NFC East so I can stick it to the Giants, because the Cowboys were probably interested as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Poem, you could look at show, Hey, Otani. He may have wanted to at some point be loyal to the Angels. They took him first, let him pitch and hit. You know, I bet you there was a point in his career or he and his agent where he was like, let's stay.
Speaker 8: With the Angels.
Speaker 7: But they gave no reason to the Dodgers of the place where you're going to play in October deep in October.
Speaker 8: They could pay more, they have a bigger exposure it.
Speaker 7: Even if there's some loyalty in on Tani's part, that would be a tough one to be loyal in that situation.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that kirk Cousins has one playoff win in his career, and he's made what close to two hundred and eighty million, two hundred and seventy million dollars in his career. He'll make over four hundred million dollars when he's all done. Forty two quarterbacks in the Super Bowl era have only one playoff win. Forty two quarterbacks have one playoff win. Here is the group that Kirk Cousins is in. Aaron Brooks, Bob Lee, brock Osweider, Bobby Brister, c J. Stroun, Carson Palmer, Case, Keenum, Chris Miller, Daniel Jones, David Gerrard, Deshaun Watson, Dieter Brock, Don Meredith, Elvis Kerbach, Eric Kramer, Gifford Nielsen, James Harris, Jay Cutler, Jay Fiedler, Jeff George, Joe Ferguson, John Wolford, Jordan Love, Kirk Cousins, Lynn Dickey, Mark Bolger, Marcus Mariota, Mark Malone, Matt Schwab, Pat Ryan Rodney, Pete Scott Brunner, Sean King, Steve Bartkowski, Steve Berline, Steve de Berg, Steve Foller, Steve Walsh, TJ Yates, Tim Tebow, Tommy Maddox, Tim and Trevor Lawrence. That's the one and done playoff today, Studs.
Speaker 13: Startup today, startup today, Start today, startup today.
Speaker 2: Start stat of to Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. It's a tough list for Carson Palmer to be on. Every person who places a tailgate order Tailgate Moonshine gets fifty percent off their next order at the merchandise store you can shop at Danpatrick dot com. The code will be emailed within forty eight hours of your tailgate purchase. Take us up on this. This is a great opportunity, and if you want to buy some merchandise, also get the Tailgate and we'll have a new batch of Tailgate moonshine coming out shortly. We'll let you know about that as well. What's the poll question we're going with final hour of the program seating? Uh, well, let's see. I'll update you on the first two hours.
Speaker 14: Uh, better move the Falcons, signing cousins or the Vikings, letting Kirk go. Right now, it's at fifty five percent Falcons. I like the positivity today. Yeah, that's nice. Yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 2: I like how they make it seem like now he has some weapons to work with. Yeah, I mean he's had some weapons in Minnesota, that dome weapons. Oh I know, I mean this is it for him? And I said, well, he had justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison in a dome. Now he's going to go to another dome and he's got two receivers who are less accomplished. Although I love Jon Robinson. So man, now he's got some weapons. Yeah, now we can see what. Now, let's see what we'll do with some weapons around him. Okay, that sounded like, uh, who's our insider, Jimmy Jimmerson. Yeh yeah, it's a little yeah from a generic sports guy voice. I guess let's go to Jimmy, jim Jimmy, what do you think about Kirk Cousins going to Atlanta?
Speaker 14: Okay, right now they're excited about let's see what Kirk can do with these weapons around him.
Speaker 2: Okay, so going to be playing indoor?
Speaker 14: Do you know he loves now he's finally got some weapons to maybe match that salary that he's commanding.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, Jimmy, it's Jimmy Jimmerson. All right, let me take a break. Mike Florio. How the Vikings are wondering what they're going to be doing. Mike Florio will join us next, trying to make sense of everything that happened. Who had a great day, who had the best day yesterday and who had the worst day. What are the Cowboys doing if they're all in this season? As Jerry Jones has said, what are they doing? I guess they're all in maybe with the draft and where's Derrick Henry justin fields? Where will they end up? So we'll talk to Florio more phone calls as Well we're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 13: Hey, what's up everybody. It's me three time pro bowler LeVar Arrington and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game?
Speaker 1: What is Up on Game?
Speaker 13: You asked, along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Hutschman Zada and Super Bowl champion. Yup, that's right, Plexico Burris.
Speaker 2: You can only name a show with that type of talent on it.
Speaker 13: Up on Game We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with Me LeVar Arrington, TJ. Huschman Zada, and Plexico Burrs on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. Look, Tiki Barber's doing his job. He's a former Giant great and he's speaking from the perspective of his fan base. The Giants fans upset that he left and he's going to the Eagles. He left and he got a better deal. He made a smart business decision. He's business and the fans are talking about just being a fan. It's personal to them, it's business to Tiki, and I thought both sides made a smart move here, springing Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host and contributed Football Night in America. Man Little vitriol. It feels like from the Giants towards Tiki barber that or towards Saquon that he made a good business decision. I'm just surprised that the Eagles was this a real need for them to get Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 12: Well, I think Dan that.
Speaker 6: The best way to build a team is from the inside out. The Eagles already have their team built from the inside out. Once you build from the inside out, you can focus on the luxury pieces on the outside. And for them to get a guy like Saquon Barkley who can now have his full talents showcased and unleashed on the Giants, I mean, that's what makes this so emotional for Giants fans because look, folks, he was there for six years. He never got a big payday from the Giants. They never gave him a second contract. He finished three years and became.
Speaker 12: Eligible for one. He didn't get one.
Speaker 6: Now he had injuries, but still after three years, four years, five years, six years, they never gave him one.
Speaker 12: The Eagles swoop in with the contract. The Giants never gave him. What's he supposed to do? What's he supposed to do? But it's the Eagles. They hate the Eagles, they love the Giants.
Speaker 6: It reminds me of the old Jerry Seinfeld bit about all we're really doing is rooting for laundry. Once you change into a different shirt, we hate you. When you're in the right shirt, we love you. But now boo, different shirt. That's why they're mad.
Speaker 2: The team that had the best day yesterday is who.
Speaker 6: Well, look, I'm a firm believer in being careful the first day of free agency because how many times do we actually look at one of these big spending days and say, oh, wow, they've solved all their problems and they're headed to the Super Bowl. But when you look at the did with Saquon Barkley, with Bryce huff who was one of the more underrated pass rushers in the NFL had ten sacks last year and didn't start a single game, had pressures.
Speaker 12: According to the Next.
Speaker 6: Gen stats like more than one out of every five plays he had a pressure on the quarterback. This is a team that's already really good and it's finding ways to get better. Overpaying, yes, you always overpay the first day of free agency. But when you're already an elite team and you have the cap space to target guys that make you better on both sides of the ball, that's a win.
Speaker 2: I thought Green Bay had a good day yesterday. What do you think, Well, look, the.
Speaker 6: Josh Jacobs move was stunning, and when you see four years, forty eight million, you say, wow, that's a lot of money for a guy that's got a lot of wear and tear on the you know, on the frame from the years in Las Vegas. But when you look at the deal, it's just a one year commitment. Now they're going to pay him a lot this first year and then they can keep him for the second year. But after that, if he's playing well, you keep him. But this is what they need for that offense to fully unleash Jordan Love. I mean, they've got something in Jordan Love, and they've gone out and they've added pieces around him now and they're they're trying to make their.
Speaker 12: Move to be an elite team.
Speaker 2: What are the Vikings doing?
Speaker 12: Damned?
Speaker 6: I find tho well and well, look a year ago, the vibe that I picked up was let's just get through this Kirk Cousins contract and then let's move on to try to find a.
Speaker 12: Long term answer with the position.
Speaker 6: They haven't had a true franchise quarterback since fran tarkented That's the truth. And Cousins is the first one to start eight or more games every year for six straight years since Cousins did it or Tarkenten did it for seven straight years back in the seventies.
Speaker 12: They want that long term guy.
Speaker 6: And now I think what's gonna happen is with the eleventh pick in the draft, they're possibly going to try to move up, possibly stay put.
Speaker 12: Sam Darnold is the bridge.
Speaker 6: And you know, one of the realities that the Vikings now have Kevin O'Connell gets the most out of whoever you put in front of him. So what we saw from Cousins the last couple of years is that O'Connell. Can O'Connell do that with Sam Darnold? Will O'Connell be doing it with whoever they draft? If they get the guy they want. But I think that's been the play all along. Too much money tied up in Cousins, Cousins getting closer to forty. Time to try to find that guy in his early twenties that can be the quarterback for five, ten years, maybe longer.
Speaker 12: You get an elite quarterback. That's how you compete for championships.
Speaker 8: And the Vikings know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I understand what the Vikings we're doing. A guy coming off Achilles surgeries thirty five seem to be thirty six, and you have weapons already there and you haven't gotten very far. He's got one playoff win in his career, and we're going to spend one hundred and eighty million dollars or whatever it's going to be Atlanta. What's Atlanta going to get? And how much better is Kirk Cousins going to make them?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, they don't know what they're gonna get because and this is where the tampering that is so rampant becomes and obvious. How in the hell did the Falcons get to the point where they were comfortable two and a half hours into the negotiating window with the recovery by Kirk Cousins from his torn achilles tendon to make a one hundred and eighty million dollar contract offer. Boy, that's a lot of work that got done in two and a half hours by the Atlanta Falcons. But when you consider how lost they've been at the quarterback position since Matt Ryan was traded to the Colts a couple of years ago, this is to them a no brainer. Let's spend the money, Let's make the team better. Let's see what we can do by way of upgrading the quarterback position and getting the most out of our weapons in Kyle Pitts and Drake London and Bijon Robinson.
Speaker 12: So they're going to find out, and it's a risk.
Speaker 6: It's a calculated risk, especially once you tear that achilles on one side. The other one can go too, and it's an older athlete injury, and he's going to be thirty six. As you said, it's a real risk for the Falcons.
Speaker 2: He's Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk Live co host contributor to Football Night in America. I want to give you credit because you were the first to kind of put out the breadcrumbs that Kirk Cousins that his family. You were hearing that they could be moving to Georgia, which is where his wife was from is from, and then the speculation started that is kirk Cousins going to Atlanta. So you might have taken some bullets there from people when you put out that initially. But you know, I'm going to bring it.
Speaker 6: Back well, and I appreciate it. You know, it's funny and I appreciate you saying that. And look, what I said last week would have been right if he'd stayed in Minnesota. The fact that he went to Atlanta just shines a light on the fact that, yes, they were looking for schools and houses in Atlanta, and no, it wasn't just a leverage play to get the Vikings to pay more.
Speaker 12: And you know, I don't just put out there everything I hear.
Speaker 6: If I hear something that I think is credible, I start, you know, you scratch, you talk to the right people, you confirm it, and then you talk about it.
Speaker 12: And it was true.
Speaker 6: They were looking at where they would live in Atlanta and where the boys will go to school.
Speaker 12: That's a huge for them.
Speaker 6: When you uproot the lives of two young children, you better be comfortable about where you are putting them once you make that move. And yeah, but if he had stayed in Minnesota, it was still true. But obviously I'd be hearing something far different this week.
Speaker 2: Justin Fields possible destinations got one no, And you know, Dan, at some point.
Speaker 6: What the Bears need to do is say, you know what, we're not going to get anything close to what we thought we were going to get for Justin Fields.
Speaker 12: So let's see what.
Speaker 6: Happens after round one of the draft, because maybe one of these teams that is thinking they're going to get their long term answer via the first round doesn't get him, and we got a market in that eighteen hours between round one and round two. And then if that doesn't happen, let's say they take Caleb Williams. They have Justin Fields, a trade market doesn't develop after round.
Speaker 12: One, why not hold on to him. Look at what happened last.
Speaker 6: Year, all the quarterbacks that got injured, and the Browns are proposing moving the trade deadline from the Tuesday after Week eight until the Tuesday after Week ten. That's ten weeks of opportunities for a starting quarterback to get injured and somebody to say, we got to give up whatever we have to give up to get justin fields. If they can make that work, if they can keep Fields from, you know, getting too frustrated and not being a team player, they could maybe wait for the right opportunity and get the value in September or October that they're not going to get now.
Speaker 2: Any chance the Bears don't take Caleb Williams.
Speaker 12: I'd be stunned. If they don't. I really would be stunned.
Speaker 6: He checks all the boxes, he gets it, mature, serious about his craft.
Speaker 12: I'd be stunned.
Speaker 6: Unless the only very small and this is ridiculously small because he didn't do the medicals at the combine when they bring him into Chicago. If they find something that freaks them out, then I assume they'd pivot to Jaden Daniels. But the idea of fields being QB one all year long without another guy being added, I think that ship sailed for the Bears, and if they can't trade fields, they're not going to go back on their plan. I believe to take a quarterback with the first overall pick.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jones says the Cowboys are all in this season. What does that mean, Well, this is what's great about Jerry Jones. It means whatever he wants it to mean.
Speaker 12: It means whatever he can conjure when he's pressed. What does all end mean? Oh it means this. Oh it means that. Oh it means this. What it meant yesterday is they were all out because they didn't do anything. The only team that didn't make a move on the first day of the legal tampering period of free agency.
Speaker 6: And one of the reasons they can't make a move is they got this Dak Prescott cap number fifty nine point four million for twenty twenty four. They got to do something about that before they know where they're going to have room to maneuver. They got Michael Parsons eligible for a new deal. He got cde Lamb, who's ready for his second contract.
Speaker 12: Yeah, all in is just and dan. The more I hear from Jerry Jones, the more I.
Speaker 6: Think that this that's nonsense about I want to win the Super Bowl and you'd be stunned at the size of the check out, right if I knew that it would deliver a Super Bowl. I think that that's just a lot of boloney, and he's just trying to keep the Cowboys as the most talked about team.
Speaker 12: America's team. I mean, think about it.
Speaker 6: The fact that the Cowboys are still the best draw in the NFL after not going to an NFC championship game for thirty years. That's more impressive than winning one Super Bowl. He's kept that team relevant and we're talking about him now because he's always got something that stirs it up and makes people think that they're all in, when who the hell knows what all in is and they're not going to be all in the NFC Championship game again this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you think he's satisfied with being relevant, not necessarily being elite.
Speaker 12: Yeah, all these teams say we want to win the Super Bowl every year. We want to win the Super Bowl every year.
Speaker 6: Well, if that's truly the way you measure success, you're pissed off a lot for Jerry Jones, You're pissed off for three full decade. Meanwhile, he's got a giant yacht, he's worth billions, and the Cowboys and the most valuable property in the entire NFL, even though they haven't played for the right to go to the Super Bowl since.
Speaker 12: Nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 6: He I think secretly values what the Cowboys are more than this and you look, your competitive nature takes over at some point. Yeah, you'd like to win a super Bowl, but he's winning a much bigger game and he's got the biggest and best team in the NFL despite the lack of accomplishments for thirty years.
Speaker 2: What should we look out for the rest of this week?
Speaker 6: Well, look, Derek Henry's still out there, daneil Hunter's still out there. The big names that don't do a deal right away, that means that maybe they expected more than what's out there. And what you're going to see is the one year deals. The guys who didn't get what they want, they do the one year deal and they kick it to next year and they try it again, and sometimes it works. Look what it did for Baker Mayfield the one year deal last year. Now he's got one hundred million dollar contract sort of with the Buccaneers.
Speaker 12: So the one year deals are going to start happen in the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: And Russell Wilson has a one year deal in Pittsburgh. What do you what do you think of this move? I love it?
Speaker 6: And the Steelers had some sort of a change of approach here because they had leaked to Jerry Doulak of The Post Cazette last month. They're not interested in a veteran quarterback who has aspirations to start at the scouting combine. That was the vibe, Kenny Pickett, Mason Rudolph, that's what they're doing. That was the clear understanding I got when you're kind of immersed in everything NFL related and then out of the blue, here comes Russell Wilson and they handed it to do Lac. I don't want to go too far inside baseball here, but I don't think it's a coincidence that they handed that news to do Lac to make up for the fact that they burned him with the last one on We're not interested in the quarterback who wants to start.
Speaker 12: They got interested in Russell Wilson.
Speaker 6: And it's as simple as dan if he's going to play for one point two to one million, It's Truebisky just signed for a two point seventy five million base in Buffalo to clearly beat the backup to Josh Allen. One point two to one million dollar for dollar, that is the best bargain you're gonna get. The Steelers have five million in caps base tied up now. In their top two quarterbacks. That leavest two hundred and fifty million for the rest of the team. And if Russ plays like he did in Seattle, if he doesn't try to do too much, run the offense, roll out once in a while, and fire a deep ball to Deontay Johnson or George Pickens.
Speaker 12: You couple that with that defense. This is a way for Russell Wilson to turn his career around. I love this move.
Speaker 2: I think Pittsburgh would take what Russ did last year in Denver. I think not a bad point.
Speaker 12: Not a bad point.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing, even though it drove Sean Payton crazy to pre snap stuff, not getting the play in fast enough, not making the adjustments ahead of time for that very specific and detailed offense, what let Russ cook means is let him get the ball in his hands. When he gets the ball in his hands and things go sideways, he'll spin. He'll again, He'll find Courtland Sutton. This time it's going to be George Pickers and Deontae Johnson. He's got a knack from making magic when the play that was called doesn't work the way it was intended. That's what he can still do, and that's what the Steelers haven't had since Roethlisberger was in his prime.
Speaker 2: The NFL sets up its offseason calendar unbelievably. I mean, they know what they're doing. So you got this month. Then you're gonna have the draft, and then Paul out from the draft, and then they give all the other sports a chance to make some headlines, and then they're gonna come back in July and August and then they're gonna dominate again.
Speaker 6: The fact that we know what the regular season games will be next year, we know all of the opponents when where they'll play their games, We just don't know when.
Speaker 12: And the mirror act at some point.
Speaker 6: In May of announcing the when is bigger than anything else that happens in sports. They've got it figured out, and I don't know how much of it was deliberate and accidental, but they've got it figured out.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you is always Mike. Thanks again, all right, but it's Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host and you can see him and Chris Simms their show pre seeds hours on Peacon. Yeah, you have this schedule release party. We know what the matchups are. We just don't know when we get to see those matchups, like, you know, sequentially, you know, when do you play? Do you have back to back? Do you have road games? Three road games? Are you playing overseas? Like all of those things. But we get so excited about it, even the Combine. I don't watch the Combine. I used to, Now I don't know. It just feels weird watching the Combine. But people love to watch it. Networks are covering, breaking into coverage, yes, Mark.
Speaker 10: And when the schedule is released, you can already see people like, all right, if I'm a Giants fan, I'm playing the Raiders, all right, a road trip the Vegas or I got a bunch of friends that are forty nine ers fans. Hey, how close are they playing DC? Al roachrip the DC? They already got, They've already told their wives, Ay, Friday will be gone in DC, and this all way, So it's a big thing, yeah.
Speaker 2: Poll.
Speaker 7: Some fan bases have the opposite reaction when the schedules released. As a Bear fan, I'm like, oh, we got the Chiefs in week two?
Speaker 8: Oh oh man, And you start like looking at losses. I'm not kidding you. You start going, oh, they waited us early.
Speaker 2: I like to look at the first week. I like to you know, like there'll be a Thursday game, there might be a Friday game, and then a Sunday game the first week. At least that's what I'm told. And I think that'll be interesting going to be playing in different countries and seeing some of these teams that are volunteering to be, you know, the host in some of these cities. They want to set up their own Kansas City Chiefs in Germany or the Patriots are going to be there setting up these fan bases like that's our country, that's our city. And you're seeing these teams that are willing to give up that home game so they can go on the road and claim that's their home away from home. Yes, John, and the juicy.
Speaker 11: Storylines when the Eagles play at the Giants and the Steelers' Broncos and you look at all the trades and free agent pickups and who's going against their former coaches and teammates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you're gonna have Caleb Williams and his first game is gonna be against who or Jayden Daniels. So the NFL they know how to roll out a schedule that's for sure. All right, last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? Right after this?
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. And last call for phone calls?
Speaker 2: What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? This day in sports history. And in case you're wondering, the Steelers play the Broncos, the Falcons play the Vikings. Just in case you were wondering, the Russell Wilson back to Denver and kirkt Cousins back to Minnesota. Just another couple of story lines. The NFL presents for US stat of the Day was brought to ubonb Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. A couple of phone calls in here Luciano and Brooklyn. What debate can I settle today?
Speaker 9: How you do a couple? Marvin Pace Kinge, what up?
Speaker 2: Son?
Speaker 9: And of course to the good fella's Todd seeing Paulie, what's it about?
Speaker 2: It's about.
Speaker 5: Polly?
Speaker 9: I missed you, baby.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 9: All right, couple really quick because I know you against it, but I need you to put your helmet on the bucket. Tris stops meaning I need you to take this very serious because there's actually two dimes on this. Out of the three, out of the four fellas you have in there, King Marvin and the goodfellas, who would last longer in the round with Mike Tyson.
Speaker 2: Wait, you guys are betting money on this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you have to bet money. Who's going to last longer? It's two thousand dollars in the barbershop right now. I'm looking at If you want me to live, shoot it to you. It's on the floor right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, Paul would be extremely competitive, but that doesn't mean that he would last. That might hurt him. Todd would look like he could do some damage to my type. Like said, that's about the extent. Yeah, Seatan would be a pest. He would be. He would be, you know, doing his best. I would say, Marvin. I'm gonna say Marvin would be able to hang in there a little bit longer, yes, Mark.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, no, I'm gonna go with Seat because young Seat looks like somebody you hit him once. Come on, that's just how I like it. And he wouldn't stop. Yeah, but he's older now, but maybe maybe young Seaton comes back because I'm.
Speaker 2: A young Seatan. No, there's no young ser Yeah, thirty nine year old Marvin's out. Yeah Seaton. Young Seaton is a completely different person than the guy sitting right here in front of you.
Speaker 14: I'm immediately going down. I don't even I'm not even remotely interested. My money's on paul because he's definitely competitive, and.
Speaker 2: Like, let me see how I could do with this.
Speaker 6: Let me.
Speaker 9: I'll know.
Speaker 2: I'll know, Marvin. I would say you, I would say you. I mean, it's not a ringing endorsement, but I would say you. It's like process of elimination you. Yes, well, I mean Paulie would. If Paulie could wrestle Mike Tyson, I don't think Paulie could uh could box with you know, even stay in there for how long do you think you could stay.
Speaker 7: Up as long as Mike chose? Yeah, it's really Mike's choice of what he would want to do. In all seriousness, if you if we went in, I know what I would do. I would probably try to think I could do something to stay in longer. I would get knocked the you know what out because I would be standing in front. I would not take a dive, which would be a mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, marvh ah.
Speaker 10: Paulie's blind in one eye though, which.
Speaker 2: He's going to be blind in the other one too. That is a problem. Yeah, you're not going to even see You're not going to see that. That's a blessing though, No, nine night, nine night.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 8: I know it's not boxing, but paul is the history.
Speaker 10: When we go to the super Bowl and everywhere he takes on all these different.
Speaker 2: Athletes, doesn't he doesn't do well. I mean, he could stay in there for a little while. I know you don't. You can go in the ring and say, well, I'm not afraid. That doesn't mean you're gonna last.
Speaker 9: Yeh.
Speaker 8: A nail getting hit by a hammer is not the nails not impressive.
Speaker 2: You don't say, man, that nail. He took everything that hammer had to give him.
Speaker 8: Nail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tyson would hit you in the body, and you would and you would cry.
Speaker 7: I think I'd much rather get hit in the face because then it's over in the body. You just sit there and soak it in.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, that's a lot of that's that's all that sounds you're gonna make it. You want a broken jaw, broken ribs. I guess I have to kind of decide which one heals fast, which one can.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: See, I would much rather have even if it could theoretically be more dangerous. I would take a shot to the ribs more than have him my face completely busted open and have him be like, you know, you're looking like all swollen out to here and it's like, that's what Tyson did you?
Speaker 9: I'm not that.
Speaker 2: I think if I was going to go down, i'd want to go down with the punch to the face, you know, not in the ribs, because then you'll be like the punch of the face. Then it's that's it. I'm down, as long as I don't see your cheek and your orbital bone have different matters. Yeah, but several events that's okay, look like Martin Short and pure luck. It's a random reference. Yeah it is Rando. What do you have there, Paul? This day in sports history.
Speaker 7: In nineteen thirteen, the American League approved the name change of the New York Ishlanders to the New York Yankees. Never knew that before, And this is one of our favorites nineteen eighty five, Larry Bird of the Celtics scored sixty points in the game, the club record. The game was against the Atlanta Hawks in New Orleans.
Speaker 8: I know, very weird. It's the best YouTube video of all time.
Speaker 2: On this date, nineteen ninety six, Mack Mood abdul Rauf indefinitely suspended for refusing to stand and line up in a dignified posture during the national anthem. The suspension lasted one game. He agreed to stand during the anthem as long as he could look down at his hands and pray. Todd, what did I learn on today's program?
Speaker 11: It seems not even calling something legal tampering period still makes it sound like you're doing something sneaky or wrong.
Speaker 2: What we've learned is brought to you by the hottest Rookie's, biggest superstars, the all time greats. The only place to collect them all Panini Trading Cards, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, Instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts in more. Started continue collection now at Paniniamerica dot net. It's been our pleasure to serve you. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support. We'll talk to you tomorrow