Speaker 1: LinkedIn News.
Speaker 2: Although I totally understand and I support the idea of longevity at a company because you can kind of tell this long term story.
Speaker 1: And I agree.
Speaker 2: I also think that what makes me sometimes a really strong candidate is when they've seen, oh, jam has worked at this company, this company, this company, versatile, she's versatile.
Speaker 1: Let me think about it.
Speaker 2: Why would you not want to hire someone who's worked for all your competitors. I mean, I'm not talking trade secrets, but I mean, like, if you already know that this person has unique skills that they've been able to bring and thrive in at your competitor, why would they.
Speaker 1: Not do the same thing for you?
Speaker 3: From LinkedIn News and I heard podcasts, this is Let's Talk offline, a show about what it takes to thrive in the early years of your career without sacrificing your values, sanity or asleep.
Speaker 1: I'm Gianna Predenti.
Speaker 2: And I'm Jama Jackson Gadson. So you've worked hard to land that first job. I mean, you sent in all those job applications, you did all those informational interviews, You've put in the work, and now you're at a job where you feel pretty comfortable I mean, honestly, it feels good.
Speaker 1: A few years in, though, you start to think, hmm, should I stay at this company or's it time to move on?
Speaker 3: In other words, should you climb lie up that corporate ladder or job up? It can be a tough decision, especially when you've really grown to love your first job. So if you're thinking about making a change, we're going to help you figure out what those next career moves might look like for you.
Speaker 1: Today. Let's chat. Let's do it.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: A lot of my friends have changed jobs or at least considered it in the three years since we graduated, and I feel like at one point, every time I was going on LinkedIn, it was another person I knew from school announcing a job update, and I was like, should I be looking for jobs?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: You know, it really got me thinking like should I be considering moving on too? Or is it okay to want to grow my career at LinkedIn? And these are the questions that keep me up at night. You know, I really could see myself staying at this company for a while because I feel like there's so many internal opportunities that I've like yet to even explore. So that's where I'm at but let's take a look at the larger job movement trends we've been seeing. For gen z ers, the trend has been to job hop. So if you guys are on career TikTok aka career talk, you've probably heard about the benefits of switching jobs every one to two years, and research shows that frequent movement really does boost pay in the long run. I feel like you've talked about this in your own job hopping journey, and in the past decade or so, job hopping that trend has really become popular in the job market. And that's when people you know, hop quite literally from job to job in a short period of time. And it's been particularly popular among gen z and millennial workers. The reason why is because one, it allows you to diversify your experience and also just figure out what you want to do. Like a lot of people change jobs early on because they're like, ooh, this is not it and I want to find something different. And because so many people, not even just gen z rs, have been changing jobs so frequently over the past you know, few years, over the pandemic, job hopping isn't frowned upon like it once was. Like it used to really raise red flags to hiring managers, but now not so much. But I think in general, the guidance is still to stay in a job for at least two years, and then at that three to four year mark is when you kind of get the itch and when you need to start thinking about your future at the company. And that's where I'm at. You know, I'm three years in, so I'm like, hmm. But in the past few years, the job market has been slowing down and there's been a lot of economic uncertainty, so now more workers are staying put because you know, it's harder to find a job these days. But I think the decision whether to you know, stick at your company or find your next play, as we say here at LinkedIn, is still really relevant. So in just a bit, we're bringing on creative exec and content creator Tim Cusano, who you guys definitely know on TikTok and if you don't, check out his videos. But he has stayed at every company in his career for five plus years, so he's going to come on and share a bit about his experience. But before he does, Tom, your career has not been linear.
Speaker 1: Girl, She's curvy, she's windy. My hips don't know.
Speaker 3: And you've had multiple jobs and worked at a bunch of different companies throughout your career in the past decade alone, So what's your experience been like with job switching?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you know, this is what I will say. First of all, I think it behooves fancy word, behooves, particularly early career professionals to job because like you said earlier, you don't know what you don't know, and when you are going from maybe a company to another, or even changing industries or markets, that is how you start asking yourself the question what do I like? What do I want out of an employer? What do I want out of a career?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Because a lot of times you're thinking about what is the job right in front of me? But how is that building into the portfolio of your life? And so I am so thankful particularly that when I was in my twenties I just hopped. Now I hopped methodically. I didn't just leave a job, but that I was mindful. I wasn't always the year, but I was mindful. I always tried to think of, you know, what was the next opportunity did I max out in my job? Had I max out in the roles and responsibilities or was I just being very underpaid and not acknowledged for the work. And if I felt like I could go out and find something else that was going to hit whatever I needed at that time, whether it was more money, more responsibilities, better work life balance, I was going to go all in on it. I am so thankful that I did, because I think job hopping or job switching has a lot of benefits. I mean, first of all, you have the possible wage increases. I've talked about this before. There was a series of like five or six years where I literally almost doubled my salary every time I took on a new job. Yeah, because you need to get in there, you need to learn what you need to learn. You need to build that portfolio. And if you can show you the next person that you have the skill sets, why not go for the maximum. Another thing are title bumps. Now this is I think a little bit more dependent on your industry or your market. I have definitely worked at some places where two people of two different seniorities are both internally revered the same because even the person on a lower seniority level still carries the roles and the responsibilities of someone more senior. That's totally fine if that's your jam. But I look at it that if I'm doing the work of someone who's two four pay bands that hire the me baby, where's the pay banding? Is the band in my pocket? It's not bandit, it's that it's actually very discombobulating. So depending where you're at, you could actually negotiate your title. Like this is something that a lot of people, I think don't think about when you're getting that initial job offer, that your title can also sometimes be negotiated. And I think that this is a really important distinction because if you are on the road map to become I don't know, one day, you know you want to be a CMO Chief marketing officer, Let's say you want to make sure that resume reflects the right job titles that are going to help you get there.
Speaker 1: So titles do matter.
Speaker 2: For certain industries. So that's another thing that I think job switching can do. Another thing is you get the opportunity to grow in a new work environment. This is super important, I think, particularly if you come from like a toxic work atmosphere, which, by.
Speaker 1: The way, seamless plug.
Speaker 2: We already have an episode all around that, which if you skipped that episode to listen to this one, baby go back.
Speaker 1: But seriously, like, sometimes.
Speaker 2: Some people just need a new change of environment, Like just the idea of being in a new position, a new work environment, it just breathes like a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's also different types of work environments you can, Like if you work in a more fast paced, startup kind of environment and you want something a little bit more stable, if stability even exists in this world, who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I love what you've said because that it's so true.
Speaker 2: Or let's say, for instance, you've been working at a company where you've been in the office, maybe you realize because of different things, because of personal life boundaries, maybe you say, okay, you know what I want to take on a fully remote job, and so like, there are just different things that you can do that you can evaluate in job searching. And the last thing I will say is that this is also a unique opportunity for you to diversify your experience and your resume. Although I totally understand and I support the idea of longevity at a company because you can kind of tell this long term story.
Speaker 1: And I agree, right, I do agree.
Speaker 2: I also think that what makes me some time a really strong candidate is when they've seen, oh, Jamae has worked at this company, this company, this company.
Speaker 1: She's versatile because adaptable.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 1: I've gone into all of these. Let me think about it.
Speaker 2: Why would you not want to hire someone who's worked for all your competitors. I mean, I'm not talking trade secrets, but I mean, like, if you already know that this person has unique skills that they've been able to bring and thrive in at your competitor, why would they not do the same thing for you.
Speaker 1: You already like performed in the big lage.
Speaker 2: I've proven my case. Put me on the main stage. I'm Coachella baby.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I was gonna go with a baseball reference and then you would so.
Speaker 2: I mean, coach Coachella Baseball something like that. God, oh yeah, that's me throwing my chance an opportunity. But seriously, job switching I think can be very beneficial if you think about the long term strategy.
Speaker 1: But where there's a pro there is usually a convent.
Speaker 3: Here comes in Gianna, here comes I mean usually half class full.
Speaker 1: But for today's purposes, We got to talk about the cons. You can be the antagonist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so today I am the villain to tell you that there are cons when you job hop too frequently. Like I said before, job popping is more normalized than it was in the past, but it's still going to raise eyebrows and kind of spark some skepticism with employers, especially if you know you're changing jobs like every year or less than right, then it has somebody thinking, hm, why so do you just need to be prepared to address that in an interview.
Speaker 2: I will definitely say though, that I think that that's way too soon to lead unless you are in a toxic work atmosphere or you just kind of can't get the grounding. But if you're just like, actually, I've already learned everything I need to in the nine months I'm going to be gone now that you have not given yourself adequate time to really grow in your role.
Speaker 3: That's a really good call out. So, Jamai, you've made a pretty good case for job switching.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I say so myself.
Speaker 3: But I think it's time we bring in Tim to make the case for growing your career at a company so he can.
Speaker 1: Chair some of the pros.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Ooh, it's gonna be like the Gianna versus Tim versus Jimmy faceof.
Speaker 1: I think I'm Switzerland lucky.
Speaker 3: Leaving your first real adult job can feel like a huge decision, but it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have to be.
Speaker 3: Coming up, we're talking with creative executive Tim Cisano about how to find opportunities to keep growing at your current company.
Speaker 2: Today's conversation is all around figuring out should I stay in the job or should I go on and try something new? And the truth of the matter is, I don't really know if it's as black and white as a lot of people say. Thankfully, gian and I have a guest in today's hot chain who's going to also share their opinion. Gee, who do we bring on this week?
Speaker 3: I am so excited to bring on Tim Cisano. He's a creative EGZECH who has held roles at ABC Sports, ESPN, and most recently left his decade long tenure as a VP at Charter Communications, which is the telecommunications and mass media company. He's also a content creator, well known for his tiktoks. I love his videos, by the way, that document his life and encourage people to slow down and enjoy the simple, even mundane parts of everyday life, which is a reminder I think all of us need sometimes. He's a strong believer that there's a lot of opportunity to grow at the same company, especially as someone who's spent at least five years at each of the companies he's worked for throughout his career. So we're excited for him to share his insights with all of you guys.
Speaker 4: Welcome Tim, Thank you for having me. Wow, how exciting. Thank you for having me today.
Speaker 2: We love talking to particularly creative creatives over here.
Speaker 1: I love learning about people's journey.
Speaker 2: So let's just start there, like, can you go us a short summary of what your career journey so far has been.
Speaker 4: Started out part time everything, finally got my foot in that door with ABC Sports full time. There's a graphics producer, assistant producer, production associate for five years. Then I got married and had a panic attack that I can't travel with thirty six weeks a year and have a solid, healthy relationship. So figured out that I really needed to get a desk job on the business side and kind of finagled my way into ESPN's marketing team. Did that for seven years with ESPN, worked on some of their biggest properties and some of the biggest brands on the planet, and then I got this really interesting offer to go to what was Time Warner Cable to reinvent the way that they were offering creative services to small businesses, which then became Charter Communications after a merger and acquisition situation. Did that for the past eleven years, started making tiktoks off the side of my desk. Shockingly, they blew up, and now I'm a full time stay at home dad that's doing a bit of writing and creating and consulting and coaching and trying to figure it out all over again.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: So, Tim, You've been at a few companies throughout your career, and at each of those companies you were there for at least five years. So I'm wondering what went into your decision to stay as long as you did.
Speaker 4: The decision to stay throughout was because there was nothing else that drew me away during the question of when is it time to go is to me, it's such an interesting one because you should always have your eyes on what is out there. So I think everybody should always have their head on a swivel. But at the same time, you have to make the most of the opportunity that's in front of you. There is no decision to make until you have that offer on the table or you're truly in a position where like, I got to get out of here. But it's almost like, you know, you get into a house and it's like, well, when do I move? Will you move? When you find another house? So how do you find another house? Will you start looking? It's like these micro steps along the way, So focus on micro because I also think it's so much easier to digest. When you get so obsessed with like that macro decision that's at the core of your question, then it can become jarring and overwhelming. All you gotta worry about is do I do a decent job, keep my resume up to date? Am I generally aware of what else is out there? You know? Just if you can do those things, I think your brain is going to breathe a little easier, and then it'll the right time will come when the right time comes, versus you feeling like, oh my goodness, there's like some sort of hard pivot moment here, and now I'm going to jump or no, I've got to figure something out, like just chip away at it and amazing things will happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think sometimes people like just make a rash decision because it's you know, you feel like I need to get out and I got to do it now, and then you realize, Okay, the grass was not greener. I maybe you should have stayed and really hold over this decision longer.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I want to ask because this is actually something that offline, Gianna and I talk about a lot, particularly around like when it's time to go and now there are you know, people who out there who say, you know, around year three or four of your tenure at a company is when it's time to start looking for a new job. What do you see as the value of working at the same company for longer periods of time?
Speaker 4: Relationships, long term, significant trust that can be built both with coworkers and people that are outside of your day to day plus unless you feel like you're being truly, truly, truly pigeonholed. And I think that a lot of people don't give themselves enough credit for what they could actually do in their current role to expand They feel like, oh, I need this other place to give me additional responsibilities or opportunities so that I can grow, which to me is like, well wait a minute, you really I don't think you could do that for yourself right now? Like you really don't think you could go find some work dessert as I would call it, in another section of the company, to learn and to grow. So I would say, have you really maximized what's at your current disposal? Are there places where you could use your biggest, weirdest idea and use the resources and the network that you currently have to see if that could come to life. So don't overlook the opportunities and the resources that you have directly in front of you just because you feel like there's some sort of time marker where you're like, oh, begs must be cooked now. So I got to go yeah, O wait.
Speaker 3: And we have a really fun segment on the show called Deer Work Bestie where we answer questions from our listeners. So this week's comes from Joey in California.
Speaker 5: I've been in my current job for a little over a year now, and this is my first job out of university. I really enjoy this role and I don't anticipate leaving anytime soon, but I also don't want to become too completely and close myself off to opportunities this early in my career. How do you know when it's time to leave your first job or company? And once you know this, how do you approach this conversation, especially with the manager you really care about and don't want to disappoints.
Speaker 4: I mean easy couple answers from my perspective. One, you know when it's time to leave when you have another offer on the table. Right, you're literally deciding between two things that are sitting on your desk versus that kind of stair step approach we discussed earlier. So Joey, always have your head on the swivel. Know it's out there, and it's okay to know what's out there. Then you'll come to a point where you're like, Wow, this is an amazing decision that I have to contemplate. And if you're in a good environment, a good boss will be okay with that. In fact, they'll be stoked, truly be like wow, good for you. Good bosses should be in a position and they should be efforting towards putting their people in places where they could get poached where where they know that this is a very attractive talent for X, Y or Z purpose and it's inevitable.
Speaker 3: And then how do you go about the conversation with your manager when you bring that up.
Speaker 4: I mean, my conversation with my manager was a you know, and this is literally somebody that just did this. It was it was different because I wasn't leaving for another job, but it was like, all right, it's it's time. I think for this specific question, it's very you want to be very straightforward. I need to talk to you. I have another offer. I'm really excited about this opportunity. It kind of crushes me to sit here and have this conversation with you directly, but at the same time, you know, this seems like it's really in my best interest, and I think that the smartest way to handle this is blank, right, And only this person can say what blank is if they're in a role where cool two weeks is fine enough. If they're say, hey, this is one of our competitive like you may want to keep that in mind. Like if you can just be self aware and cognizant of what the broader ramifications are and you're direct with the conversation. That's all you can do. There's like way too many nuances that there's in like one specific script. Be upfront, be honest, be kind, be self aware, and you'll be more than fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What I appreciate is that you saying, like you know, a good manager wants you to succeed, and not just succeed, but be so darn good that other people want you to.
Speaker 2: And I find that particularly when I talk to people who are younger than me, and I like, even like my mentees, they do have a lot of loyalty to their manager. And I'm not saying that that's a bad thing at all, but I always say, be weary that you don't give so much loyalty to someone that you stunt your own career, or that you feel like they want you to only stay under them. And I love that you have framed this idea around having a conversation with people, being open and figuring out how do we tackle this as a partnership, because I think, like, when you look at it like that, that is really the beginning steps of how you build your network that exists long after you move out of a certain role or a company.
Speaker 4: I wholeheartedly agree yeah, don't. You don't want to be in a position where you feel obligated to your and I felt that way. I'm the boss that I just walked away from, the best boss I ever had by a country mile. There was a lot of emotional attachment that went into that. But at the same time, too, I genuinely knew that he had my best interest at heart, and I knew that I kind of had to rip the band aid off, even though I literally took almost like a full year between all the different pieces that I moved to make sure that this was done the right way. But you know, I would ask yourself, like why do I feel that way? Do you actually have that kind of relationship or you just scared to have a direct conversation. There isn't a wrong answer, but if you can be honest with yourself, then it'll start to come and the more difficult conversations, especially ones like this that you're comfortable having. If your intentions are good and your efforts are solid, then you really can do no wrong and don't don't let yourself get pinned in the corner be or some people could just use it as an excuse. I like my manager too much, like be honest with yourself and be honest with your surroundings and you'll be fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love this idea of finding ways to grow within your role and kind of expand your job description, and like growing within a company doesn't always mean changing your title and moving up the ladder, but growing within your position. I'm wondering, like, if you think about people who are just starting out and you want, let's say you have this great idea, getting influence or getting people to buy into that idea can be challenging, and especially when you know you're maybe the younger person on the team. So do you have any advice on getting that buy in and like pitching yourself as the person to take on that project or you know, the person to have the idea for whatever initiative it might be.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: And I love that question so so much because I've I do call this like how to bring your weirdest idea to life, because I've had a couple of those where I just had this big, random, weird idea and I remember being like, I'm so sure of this, and then I would bring it into somebody's office to be like that's great, and then they would go right back to work. When you think about going into somebody else's office or having a big idea, you think like, oh, this is so great, it's going to naturally pull people in. It's actually going to push people away for a couple of different reasons. One, they have their own stuff to worry about. So if you walk in you got to like this big game changing idea, you're basically saying, here's the thought that I have that's going to mean more work for you. Aren't you excited? Aren't you excited to make me look great? Now?
Speaker 1: I'm so right, it's not.
Speaker 4: Going to like. It's not unless you're saying, this is something that's going to change about my role and you're like, I've got the whole thing, don't worry about it. But like, most of those big ideas are going to change a business or have some sort of impact on the company or going to have cascade effects. So the steps to bringing it to life are one being okay with the fact that it's going to take a long time. Probably you're probably going to hear a lot of nose and you're probably gonn get a lot of people that are like that, even the ones that are really excited for you, and they think it's amazing, but like, I'm not here to help other people fulfill their dreams with all their respective here to do my job. If you first you have to describe it really well in a simple way. What is the idea? Can you describe it as simply as possible, and can you also explain why? Why? What does this impact the business? What is the upside? And then you have to be ready to have everybody poke a thousand holes in it, because that's what you need. If you don't have all the holes poked in it, like there's a distinct possibility. With all the respect especially to people that are out of the gate. You might have seen something. You might have walked in the door and immediately been like, here is another place for us to double our business. Great, but that takes another four million dollars in investments, and it takes X, Y and z. But if you're willing to take the time to document it to even get people to poke holes in how you documented the idea, to shop it around to get a bunch of nos, to then put some yeses to those nos. If you can explain it in a simple way the impact you could have on the business, and then you're willing to go do the legwork, you can start to create your own kind of stair step to get there and then be okay at the end if you don't get credit, because especially if you're earlier in your career, chances are if you have something that mega blows up, the president of the company, the president of the department, whomever is going to be the one that gets a sound by in the New York Times, speaking from experience, not the senior manager that was over the side of the marketing team that nobody had any idea existed. But it pays off. It pays off big time.
Speaker 2: I think what I appreciate the most about what you just outlined is this idea of like removing ego out of it, because it's so easy for anyone at any point in your career to attach your ego to a project. You care about this idea. You want to put this baby out into the world. You want the credit, and even though all of those things are valid, if you really want the idea to succeed, sometimes you understand that you are going to have to build community. Sometimes that means you are going to have to get more no's than yes is. And I just really appreciate that because that is definitely something I had to learn, both the easy and the hard way when I first started out, and I just think more people should embrace this idea of removing the ego.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: I just want to quickly add too, that I've had to learn poking holes in something doesn't mean somebody just like wants to get you and catch you without the answer. Really, they're just curious and want to help you get to a stronger outcome. But it's really hard to kind of realize that in the moment because you feel like, oh, if I don't have the answer, then they're going to think I'm stupid or I'm dumb. But really it's okay to say, hey, you know I don't have the answer. I'll come back to you and really work with that person to kind of, like, you know, just get to where you need to be totally.
Speaker 1: So we talked about ways.
Speaker 3: To grow within your role, especially if you're early in your career, and you mentioned being proactive in that, like raising your hand for projects, coming up with new ideas. But sometimes you either you know, get pushed back or have trouble you know, identifying those opportunities. Because the scope of your work can be kind of siloed when you're starting out. So I'm wondering, as somebody who's been in management and executive positions, how can people early in their career work with their managers to identify those opportunities for growth within the company.
Speaker 4: I think you have to do it on your own to a certain extent. A lot of this you're going to find out by trying and failing, So there isn't a bad place to start. I think as long as you can do you have a thought on the business, and why are you cool to make the first key strokes? I would say, don't ask your manager like you know, certainly you could ask your manager like, hey, I would like to take a more responsibility, et cetera, but don't like that. The cheat code is your manager's probably got enough on their plate where if they had additional work for you, they're going to give you additional work. You should be okay to say here's some suggestions and have them be like I never thought of that, right, And then it's going to be on you on both sides of that, And that you also have to be okay with the fact that your first five ideas could be wrong, or they could be pointed in different directions just because you don't know yet, and that's totally fine. That's growing and learning. So just don't stop with the new ideas, don't stop thinking about how you can grow yourself from your skill set, because it's all for you too. You get people can get confused, They're like, oh, well, this is just for the company's benefit, it's for yours.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think what's I'm taking away from this conversation And I really appreciate it because it's always a great reminder. Is like, we are all innovators, and sometimes sometimes you have a great idea, it's just the wrong time. More like, not all of the day different variables are in place, but that doesn't make the idea not a good idea. So in the meantime, until all the variables fall into place, you can continue to pressure tests and gather information and research and throw ideas. And I just like, I love this idea that we can all be pressure testers of our own ideas, but we also can invite others to do the same. But this idea that you have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. You have to just keep going even when you get those rejections, I think it's just a great lesson for us all to remember and again removing ego out of it. Well, Tim, thank you so much for joining us. I know, me and Gianna we've taken in so much just from you, hearing you about your journey and even just like the temperature checks that you've given yourself over the years to figure out when was it time to move on? And what I love the most is that like you have not been prescriptive whatsoever and saying like you have to do it like this or not. And I think that's going to resonate so much with our besties. So thank you so much for coming on the podcast. We appreciate you, Tim.
Speaker 3: Before we let you go, where can our listeners find you?
Speaker 4: They can find me on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, all the places. Look up my name, you'll find my stuff and hopefully it helps. Thank you, Tim, I appreciate you both. Thank you so much. This is a really fun conversation.
Speaker 2: Tim gave a lot of great advice. And if you want to stay at your company, that's awesome. Now if you want to leave, that's cool too. What's important is that you feel like you're growing no matter where you are in your career. After the break, I.
Speaker 1: Love a good holiday party, but can they be cringe? That's next? Okay, So Tim, give me a lot to think about. I kind of want to know where are you still Switzerland? Do we need an offline? I think right now?
Speaker 3: I grow your career at a company as long as you have opportunities to grow in your role and also potentially elsewhere within the company.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really love when he said that, because we've said it a couple times on the podcast. Now about like, have you really maxed out in your role? And I think, like so often everybody myself included, you always think, of course I have. But the truth of the matter is you probably have opportunities to upscale. And I really appreciated how he mentioned, like, if you are interested in doing something else, even if it's not necessarily in your job description, do you need to go to an entirely different company to do that? Or can you raise your hand for internal projects? A good manager is also going to help you figure out, Okay, how can this person continue to grow and up level themselves whilst at the company. So I really appreciated him saying that because I think we all, no matter where you are at in your career, can benefit from that. Yeah, but what do you think What was your takeaway?
Speaker 1: Frow was a good reminder. What I'm taking away is, you know, just like take a chill.
Speaker 3: Though you didn't say that, but that's what I'm taking away. It's like, we get so kind of caught up with these big macro decisions of like should I stay or should I leave? But when you kind of zoom in, there's so many micro steps and micro decisions.
Speaker 1: That get you there. It's not this big like life or death situation.
Speaker 3: If you have the privilege of making the decision, I should say, right, like, sometimes you have to leave for whatever reason and maybe you don't have a lot of say in it. But I think if you do have the privilege to make the decision of staying or leaving, you don't need to get so caught up in like this Blacker White situation.
Speaker 1: Take your time.
Speaker 3: He said it was like a year lead up until he actually left right his last job. So you know, take small steps and you know, take that informational interview, have that networking call, exhaust all your options within that current role before you kind of have that other job offer on the table and then can make the decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I think what's been so illuminating about this conversation is that whether you choose to stay and you want to grow in your career like at a company, or you choose to leave and explore other options, at the end of the day, it's your decision. And what I love is that careers are just as unique as the person who's rocking it. I think at the end of the day, like we can only give you, guys like tips and things to think about, but you have to do what is right for you. I'm still siding on the side of a hop, skip and a jump, but I might linger a little bit.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you're sounding a little bit like Switzerland.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm that sweet, but but you know what is sweet?
Speaker 1: Cringe or cool?
Speaker 2: You guys, this is where we discuss all things workplace culture and trends and we get to determine whether they are cool or cringe. Gihan and I are doing something a little different this week, Gianna, what do we talk.
Speaker 3: About special edition of cooler Cringe. We're talking about the holiday office party.
Speaker 1: Happy holidays.
Speaker 3: In honor of the holidays, we're gonna be doing a lightning round version of Cringe or Cool discussing the holiday office party. So we're going to go through a list of things related to holiday office parties and determine whether they're cringe or cool.
Speaker 1: I'm first.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, we don't even know what these are. Producer just handed us notes. So let's say I'm first. Okay, number one, having an open bar.
Speaker 2: I think it's cool because who doesn't want to, you know, get a little comfortable.
Speaker 1: You know, you want to be able to like rocking around, Yeah, rocking around what you drink? Yeah, But I will say it's kind of cringe because some people don't know how to hold their Nika. Yeah, I love a holiday cocktail. But be foreale that you got to go back to work because you guys don't want to wake up the next day. And I know some people have been there being like, what did I say to my boss? Or you wake up? And who's no, Okay, what's your school of cringe? I'm just saying, all right, so consensus cool could be cringe cool, but too much it's cringe? Yeah? Okay, Okay, you're nine is talking about work at the party.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, here's my thing.
Speaker 3: Oh god, But like, honestly, as a socially anxious girl, like sometimes you need that to break the ice. You might be making small talk with people that are not on your immediate team. I know you're like literally throwing up at the idea of a small talk. I see that on your face. But like, just stay with me for a moment here, stay brave. I think fine.
Speaker 1: But like, I mean, you're at work, So yeah, you're gonna talk about work. I think it's cool. Honestly, it's cool. Don't talk. Also, some people don't want to get too personal.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I really do we disagree? O, don't talk to me Like, no, if I'm here to party, I'm not here to talk about work.
Speaker 1: Okay. I've never been to like a party party like Holly.
Speaker 2: No, I don't even like to go to like team happy hours and us talk about work. It's not happy anymore. Yeah, I guess at that point we might as well clock in. You want me to print some things off while we're at it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think we're being like, oh, did you make updates to that project? I think it just like oh, what do you do at the company?
Speaker 1: No, you know what? You can't they can't. You can ask me that all my day holiday party, I'm saying, bar away from jamatic.
Speaker 5: Why are we.
Speaker 1: Talking about this now? What does it matter what I do?
Speaker 5: Get?
Speaker 1: Let's let's drink. So you want somebody, You're gonna be the one at the open bar. I'm trying to be out on the floor. I don't have time to be talking about roles and responsibility.
Speaker 3: I've never been to a holiday party at work with the dance floor, so if there was one, I want to be talking about work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our holiday parties are a little bit more on the corporate side. I've been in some more risque situations.
Speaker 1: We'll offline about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, last one giving useless gifts in a white elephant gift exchange to be funny.
Speaker 1: Absolutely cringe. First of all, I hate bad gifts.
Speaker 3: You know what this is cringe because I'm the type of person I feel like you're also like this, Like I'm thoughtful about the gift. I'm spending so much time figuring out like what is gender neutral? What is going to be like under the limit? What can somebody actually use? And then I'd be the one to get like a yo yo and be like, seriously, what am I doing with.
Speaker 1: This yo yo? And I know you didn't spend twenty five dollars on the yo yo.
Speaker 2: That's my villain origin story, because how dare you have me go up here to Macy's Harold Square with the beautiful lights and I just spent all this money on a nice gift for you. Got them to do the premiere packaging package, the candles, you know how they do the cue, the little the little wrap.
Speaker 1: Oh my, you even a little bit above budget, Like I spent extra money for you to give you the experience of a life. Here's the worst part.
Speaker 3: You have to open it live and if you guys don't know, like, I cannot hide a facial expression to save my life. So when I open that yo yo, I'm like, oh, what's.
Speaker 1: The problem my face? I can I can lie on my acting taps in heavy, but I'm dying inside.
Speaker 3: And that stops people from particip beating next year one thousand percent And then guess what next year is like?
Speaker 1: Two people doing it? Then like just exchange each other seriously, Yeah no, I mean honestly, I think we can just mix the whole gift giving things. Let's just do like gift cards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're just a card a card. Okay, so we agree, cringe, very cringe. Okay, so we agreed on to divide it on one pretty solid.
Speaker 1: I think I think we're doing all things.
Speaker 2: Had we ended together, I was getting a little We can talk more at the holiday party, yes, but not about work. Noted well, I hope that you guys have also enjoyed this when we would definitely love to know which do you guys agree with?
Speaker 1: Are these topics cool? Cringe? Also let us know other ones, like holiday parties in general cooler cringe, Like, are you guys going? Is that the thing?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Let's the vibe. Let's the vibe. I love a holiday party, me too. I'm gonna go. Yeah, we can wear ugly sweaters. Let's talk off I'm not sweaters anyways.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, let us know what you think you can let us know in the newsletter this week, we'll be discussing the topics there. Make sure you're following the newsletter. It's called Let's Talk Offline. A link will be in the show description and also in my LinkedIn bio. You can also share posts on LinkedIn and tag Jamay and I letting us know your takeaways from this week's episode and your takes uncle or cringe.
Speaker 2: Also, we have to give a warm holiday thank you to Joey for setting in your question. You have just given Gean and I the holiday gift of the spirit, the spirit back, a spirit to keep going through the end of the year. Thank you Joey for your contribution and your amazing gift. You all too can also give us gifts of questions. Okay, information on how to do that is in the show description.
Speaker 3: Speaking of gifts, please rate and review the show and give us a follow so you get notified each week when episode drops.
Speaker 1: I'd be the greatest gift of it. I'd be the greatest gift.
Speaker 3: That's the only thing on our wish list is here maybe for you, but I will circle back the designer bag centers. All right, guys, thank you so much for listening this week. Before you go, remember we've always got your back, so if something comes up.
Speaker 1: Let's Talk Offline. I'm Jonna PRDUENTI and I'm Jamie Jackson Gadsden, Stay Thriving.
Speaker 3: Let's Talk Offline is a production of LinkedIn News and iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Western Sound. Our producer is Sabrina Fang. The show is edited by Savannah Wright. Our associate producer is Sarah Dealey. Alex mckinnis is our engineer, and Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Speaker 2: Executive producers at iHeart Podcasts are Katrina Norvel and Nikki Etour. We got support from LinkedIn's Jesse Hemple, Sarah Storm and Ayana Angel. Maya Pope Chappelle is director of Content, Dave Pond is head of News Production, Courtney Coop is head of Original Programming, and Dan Roth is the editor in chief of LinkedIn