Speaker 1: You ever noticed the more like the more luxury ship niggas have on the weaker their Oh yeah, because don't be like if your outfitish ten grade your peace sign so.
Speaker 2: Yo, but if you got that Walmart white tea at sharp, be sharp, dude, that's a Reebok piece.
Speaker 3: I need peace. I need this ship.
Speaker 4: I did have to funny act. I need peace.
Speaker 2: Chips in your.
Speaker 3: Own.
Speaker 2: Racists, money's stuff. I can't tell.
Speaker 3: Me booty but cheeks, Booty but cheeks that it is.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: It is hello to our little mamas and our gentiles alike. There it is, ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to another phenomenal episode of My Mama Told Me.
Speaker 2: The podcast where we dive deep into the pockets of black conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: And we finally worked to prove that they planted that gun on Gilbert the Erenus because they couldn't stick him for the cocaine he had fallen out of his socks during practice. This motherfucker was supposed to go to jail, and instead they just gave him a season long suspension.
Speaker 2: Come on, tell him, tell him, come on.
Speaker 3: He was in big trouble, baby, and they had to give him something.
Speaker 2: He really had No Chill, maybe one of the more apt names in sports of all times.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because he is just a nigga from Arizona, and so you I think in my mind, I'm like, they're there's no reason for him to act like this, Like you don't have to be this guy. But it's just who the fuck he is?
Speaker 4: That guy, and I appreciate the energy.
Speaker 3: He don't even talk like the person that he is, but he is.
Speaker 2: As someone as someone in the same boat. I respect it, Ignie, I recognize my energy in another and I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: It's like, how is he bullying swaggy pe? This doesn't make stint.
Speaker 4: But he's doing it because he's got that jog in. That's all you need. It's not a vocal thing, it's its interior.
Speaker 3: Is something at the core of him, right at the goddamn man to underneath the mantle. Is is Gilbert fucking Magma Arenas.
Speaker 2: That nigga goes crazy? I love it. I love it. I love it. With the guy with a very normal voice that you would think would be just like a nice dude, it's just a monster bo.
Speaker 3: He sounds like he'd be refilling the waters at your work and instead he's just a goddamn animal.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He sounds like he's never touched a cigarette in his life, yet here he is cocaine.
Speaker 3: And it's not even because he's scared of it. He's just like, nah, I saw what it did to my uncle. I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I feel like you adopt a baby outside of his race.
Speaker 4: But no, no.
Speaker 3: No, he's one of the worst humans on this here planet Earth.
Speaker 4: But the worst is not the fair word. I don't think that.
Speaker 2: I think that great is a word that has no morality touched to it. He manizes you.
Speaker 3: I think there's a bunch of people who side with the devil, and frankly, if you're comfortable inside of that, I'm not here to judge it. I'm here to support you.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: And now before we introduce our I guess let's just keep it clear. I think in your heart you would also like to side with the devil.
Speaker 3: I think so. Yeah, But I think I think I am a Gilbert Arenas niggah whose voice matches his body. You know what I'm saying, Like, I am who I am the same way Gilbert is who he is. So my desire to be evil and devil worshiping is superseded by my spatial awareness and fucking sense of self.
Speaker 2: And if I'm not being too forward, I'll say that's to me one of the more charming things about you.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks man, Yeah, man, I need that devil right in May. It's not even like a fucking harrowing battle every day. It's like, yeah, I see you, devil, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, but you're you're I see you in the room and I like it.
Speaker 3: It's like that friend you hang out with who you can't invite in your house. You know what I mean, You know you can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come on the garage, seem.
Speaker 3: I fuck with you. Look I fuck with you. But my mom she don't fuck with you. Man, I like you, but there are children in the house. I guess today is someone I didn't bite in my home. He could come in my house anytime he wants. He's so fucking funny. He is a returning guest. We haven't had that many returning guests. It's actually not a common thing. But he's back and he's fucking phenomenal. You know him from the air Buds podcast. You know I'm from the Brandon and Jamel podcast. You know him from all I think he has eighty eight other podcasts.
Speaker 4: We just got canceled. We had a thing on them.
Speaker 1: We were doing TIMU was doing media and they just can't.
Speaker 3: You're gonna really want to get that team move out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a limited run podcast about illegal throwback jerseys and.
Speaker 4: Bill Burgess made a movie about it. It's called Real Hoopers Tapping and it didn't do well, but.
Speaker 3: Fabulous called every week. But but otherwise I'm.
Speaker 1: Not get niggas listens calling in.
Speaker 4: I know, districted with the Chinese niggas. He was downtown.
Speaker 2: I know, I know that you have to introduce him here on the second and say his name. But I will say, just for the record, I have bought a illegal throwback out of a backpack from this guest.
Speaker 4: Whoa, I still wear it? Nice? WHOA, I go get it right now. That's a great bootleg. Man. Oh it's a it's a beautiful but it's got the tackle twill.
Speaker 3: Oh that was what I was gonna That's what I was gonna ask, was was are we talking about? Because you said illegal and I wasn't sure if these were like these were just hot jerseys or if this was truly like, no, this is made by a man who is not the man who makes these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit more, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: And nobody could tell every time I wear people just like oh that Temac's hard. Whoa Also, can I ask you guys this about illegal shit?
Speaker 4: And this is just a business question.
Speaker 3: So this is a wrong I guess for that, my man, But.
Speaker 2: I'm friend is a business question. It's just I got a chance. I got a chance to come up on like a lot of fake Louis. But it's a very good quality. But the issue was like, the.
Speaker 3: Issue is you keep telling it to people on podcasts.
Speaker 4: I know, well, this is you and my friends. You don't know where it's gonna come from.
Speaker 3: But now when I see you in Louie, I'm just gonna be like, yeah.
Speaker 4: But maybe I'll mix it in with some real so you don't know.
Speaker 1: The mexicik. He posts him Louie down with the rags, with the scarf to the bell, showing just stuff they don't make. I got Louis wristband, you know what I was just saying about this. Louis was like he was like, we could get a lot of Louis from China. But you can't use your real credit card. You gotta buy a gift card. No, you gotta get a preloaded gift card because they they'll take your information but they do deliver.
Speaker 3: No man, know this.
Speaker 4: If you had a fake identity stashed for an occasion like this, I would say go for it.
Speaker 3: But I started talking about you buy a gift card. This feels like you're in on something fucking crazy.
Speaker 5: But I think if it works, it's kind of like, look, I think it's I think it's funny either way.
Speaker 3: I'll say that right on the record that that I I will get a hearty laugh out of your choice in either direction. I don't think that this is gonna end in like fucking prison time or some ship. But but I do think you're taking You're taking a swing here when.
Speaker 4: You start sucking around with.
Speaker 2: But this is this is a This is a mutual aquaintance, acquaintance. Our guest knows him, has done work with him.
Speaker 4: I had a feeling I knew who you was.
Speaker 2: You know who it is, a good guy. He's a good guy, a weird guy. We've made plays together many times. Suddenly, yes, you make plays with the.
Speaker 3: Bro Okay, Okay, so if you have a history with this person, that does change the answer.
Speaker 4: I'm not a monster.
Speaker 2: I'm not just having dudes come up on the street saying, hey, I got this lute for gift cards.
Speaker 3: Bory, and I mean this as respectfully as I possibly can. Anybody in my life is the type of person that would have people come up to them and offer them a deal on Louis Vatan from China via gift cards. It's you, but a perfect That was a perfect drop, my.
Speaker 4: Man, the best one I've ever done.
Speaker 3: You went fucking crazy with that one. I'm not even all hold you. That was fucking phenomenal work, Yo, that might.
Speaker 4: Be the best. That's I think.
Speaker 2: That's I think so far as far as long as we've been doing this, that was that was.
Speaker 3: The best, so good.
Speaker 2: It worked out. So it was like I was worried because he said it twice, but it was even better.
Speaker 3: Nah, I got way better because you needed that first round to really know what he's saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just yeah some Olivia's right, somebody's gonna crash their car when they hear that.
Speaker 3: That's that was fucking our guest today. We haven't even fucking introduced him. He's a returning guest. He's so fucking funny. You've already heard a great comedy from the man in conversation, but now you know who he is. Jamel Johnson.
Speaker 6: Everybody, I actually have one point four percent Nigerian African.
Speaker 3: I'm a sister. Okay. Oh that wasn't as good, not as good.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. I tried to go. I think I got cocky after Yeah.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: Chill.
Speaker 3: You gotta take this season off and just hold that championship trophy.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: On a related note, shout out to Gilbert Arenas Uh you is the devil, the only native played basketball in air Max's and Creative Wrecks.
Speaker 4: He played in an NBA game with Creative Recreation Sneakers, came from the club and took off everything but his shoes.
Speaker 3: That's nuts. That's nuts. He got his money, that's insane.
Speaker 4: He got off suit. He wore a snap off suit to the club and left his shoes on and played in the game.
Speaker 3: Bro It's he's nuts. Have y'all seen that video where he's just he went to Swaggy PE's house child not terrorized, Swaggy terrorized his his child. Yeah, he literally stole the child scooter and threw it like forty feet away from him, and then Swaggy Pe was like, bro, why you do that? He was just like, fuck that kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, nuts an inspiration to us a man.
Speaker 3: Well, Jamel, you came with a non Gilberterina's related conspiracy theory. One that I think I would say was I believe written in the original pitch of this show. Uh, and no one has touched it. Everyone else was afraid to bro this the listen.
Speaker 4: I say this as as we are three niggas trying to succeed in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: As I bring this up. Yeah, it's all love. What I'm about to say, there's nothing but love in my heart. All niggas involved need to know that this is love here. You know, I'm just doing a podcast with my friends.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think we're treading into two very scary territory. Nobody supposed to be here. We get flu.
Speaker 4: I'm back.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you ain't crazy again.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 3: You know, it's nuts. It don't even really make sense, but it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 4: It's just a field thing. It's just a thing.
Speaker 3: But you said, Jamel, my mama told me the secret affair of Eddie Murphy and Johnny Gill.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, that's what they was that according to my mama, being from d C, Johnny gil being in the closet is a DC rumor. Every time the Quiet Storm would come on, they played my my mind, somebody's like, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Know, bla blah, and but you're saying like that.
Speaker 3: Are you saying, are you saying that this is what what people around you are saying when the Quiet Storm is playing? Are you saying niggas were calling the race radio y'all just playing that new Johnny Gill. But you know that nigga both.
Speaker 4: I'm saying both things on the table that I know that w h u R had to sneak screen some calls.
Speaker 3: I'm calling to talk about Johnny Gil's second Eddie Murphy's deck. Put me on the radio, put me in right now.
Speaker 4: Now. Do I think this is true?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. Yeah, all I know is some timelines match. I've seen some photos of Johnny Gill and some real deep cut cardigan V neck like a deep like a like the V on the card again is below his belly button with the basic boy. You know what I'm saying, it's a strong look.
Speaker 4: He now? Were they now? Now?
Speaker 1: Was Johnny just crashing at Eddie's guesthouse or were they Were they just pals? Did they just happen to do Boomerang and the Boomerang soundtrack at the same time?
Speaker 4: Did they start dressing the same in the early nineties?
Speaker 2: I don't that's that's okay, though I do think good friends can do that. I don't think dressing the same as always an r Kelly a Lea situation.
Speaker 3: You you think that historically there are a bunch of instances where grown men dressed the same and that we were like accepting of that.
Speaker 2: I think that if we look into our hearts and we tell the truth, we can admit that we've all done that.
Speaker 3: Yes, were you like you were which a boy? You were like, hey, dog, let's wear this outfit?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 2: Not that, but like we are so we're together every day, we hang out all the time, we kind of dress the same.
Speaker 4: It could happen, because what happens when one person gets a five pack of tall Tease? Come on, somebody else might get a pack, remember, okay.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 3: Others, I guess to your credit, I will say that I am omitting the Tall Tea era from my head. When I'm thinking about this, I think of more distinct dressing styles and ship. Like the early two thousands was a dangerous time because we were all just desperately holding on to junk.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I was trying to make fucking garbage work. Brother, our bodies other eras feel like real fashion and ship.
Speaker 2: Brother, I've been to a party with three other dudes I ride with, arrived with all wearing double knead dickies. I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, we we made we made some insane choices.
Speaker 4: And they let all in.
Speaker 2: They let one of us walked through the side door.
Speaker 4: But that's besides the point.
Speaker 3: No, we were going crazy. So I have trouble with the two thousands, but there's never been an row I think personally where I was like intentionally being like, Yeah, me and I'm a boy dressing the same and going to the same places together.
Speaker 4: Listen, come on, but have you also maybe been to a party in Kisstrmn's You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, that's why I know, and that's why I'm saying that I think that this could be a platonic friendship.
Speaker 3: You genuinely believe in the possibility of this not being sexual and just being two men bonded in the nineties.
Speaker 4: I think that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think there's a level of male bonding that is maybe more intimate than just homies that people don't really feel like acknowledging until this most recent generation. I guess where die about you, twin, That's what that is, right, that's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I guess where I do agree with you is I do think that those levels of bonds exists right where. That is just like, truly, that is my fucking partner, that is my dog. We are we are tethered in a way that I can't undo. Yeah, here's where I get a little weird about it, or at least question it is. I didn't form none of them them bonds in my thirties. That shit happened, you know what I mean? Like that shit happened at like a young formative age, not while like I was the most famous human being on the planet.
Speaker 4: Hey, it doesn't strike you, doesn't mean it's not real. Whoa heavy.
Speaker 3: It didn't not hurt my feelings, but I do respect what you're saying. It did feel painful to hear out loud, but I do respect the words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I'm just saying I mean, and you, everybody's got their side to this. I'm just saying that I think it's possible that they just had an intense bawd. Also, and this is this is when I first had thought when I heard this conspiracy, I have never heard the Johnny Gil. I had heard that it was Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall. Of course, yeah, that was the one I heard. So that was always kind of where I had written on that.
Speaker 3: And Jamielle, I'd love to hear where this originated from.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I think I had heard both. I think I had heard it was more of a generational relationship thing. So in the beginning it was Arsenio Hall and then it became Johnny Gill for whatever reason.
Speaker 4: But do you think.
Speaker 2: Arsenio just got too busy with the show? He was like, because I mean, we've all used that excuse. Right, I'm working so much. I can't have a girlfriend right now.
Speaker 3: And I will say that there's there is a period in in the Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 2: Said that, all right, wait on me, that's not That's why I'm Kilbert readers on this podcast. I was like, we got it.
Speaker 1: He's going off.
Speaker 3: You think I'm not gonna drag me into it. They're not going to force my hand, you know, all right? All right, that there is a period where our Sineo and Eddie don't feel like they're as close anymore. Like they're not making films together, they're not really hanging out. They're they're sort of like out of the public eye. And maybe there's an argument to be made that that's where the relationship starts to wane or has faded, and Johnny gill is filling the void and bet between then.
Speaker 2: Like posts coming to America type of thing, right, yeah, exactly. That was when they were about as tight as can be.
Speaker 3: It felt like yeah, and then suddenly they weren't, you know what I mean. They weren't like publicly beefing. Obviously Eddie went on the show and shit, but it didn't feel like they were like fucking partners anymore. It felt like, nah, y'all, y'all just cool now, And that's different.
Speaker 4: It also might be a change in relationship dynamics.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of times, especially entertainers who are kind of the man if their man gets on. Now all of a sudden, they're not like, you know what I mean, it was cool when you were Simy and you played my man slave in a movie. The Royal penis is clean, your highness, But now you got your own show. You got the dog found, he got your own penis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's also clean, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, he was not. He did not have a dirty dick.
Speaker 3: Jamel, where are you with this? Both the dirty dick and the beginning of this conspiracy?
Speaker 1: So, I mean it starts with Johnny gil Like I said, being from DC, this was kind of a rumor that he was in the closet, which I didn't which I was like, I mean, hey, who knows you know? Sure, I don't know, Like sure, I've never I don't, Like, I don't know who Johnny Gills dated.
Speaker 4: Why would I you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, right, and you know, And it's like at the same time, I feel like like in the eighties and nineties, like the pressure that R and B. Niggas was under to like want to have sex with women must have been so intense, like like the pressure you know how like comics be like like you have to tell the truth on stage now, you know people like when you say something like people are checking whatever say you're getting, we're getting fact checking.
Speaker 3: All Yeah, reflexes is live and well.
Speaker 4: It's really shit. And I think R and B niggas.
Speaker 1: In the eighties it was like that times a million, because it'd be girls and shows like, oh yeah, you singing about oh you wanna, oh you wanna? You want to rub me.
Speaker 4: The right way? Well, here's a pussy right here, niggie, what's up? Better fuck me right now, right now.
Speaker 3: I came here to fuck you and only you, whereas I think now concerts people are like, I came here to fuck in whichever direction I can find a dude in the crowd. I can fuck the star, it don't really matter. In the nineties, it was like, I came here for Keith sweat balls. I don't want no other balls anybody all.
Speaker 4: Over your body, your specific body. And so that's a lot.
Speaker 1: So if Johnny's not like out with a bunch of hoes, they sure, And it kind of didn't really, it had no steam in my head until I started seeing recent pictures of Johnny with the d V necks. I'm like, well, that's not a this level of a v neck is somebody who is sexually curious.
Speaker 4: I can't you know what I'm saying, Like that's all I can say about that.
Speaker 1: And then I started thinking about like, okay, so Eddie in the Early Night, like this would explain why Distinguished Gentleman wasn't a hit, Like just being in a secret like a relationship that you can't talk about.
Speaker 4: You're pretty distracted. You're trying to make distinguished gentlemen, right.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a good because what happened to that movie. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Is this is why just the fact that Distinguished Gentleman wasn't good kind of started to make this like I could see.
Speaker 2: Why Now do you take do you take the Distinguished Gentleman not working? Do you feel like maybe you take that a little more personally because you're from DC and is a DC based movie?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Okay, we all were supposed to have parts in that. This is a little Niggas six.
Speaker 3: There was supposed to be a trilogy and I will never get it because because Johnny that is mouthed on Eddie.
Speaker 7: Do we keep going back to that being the dynamic that Johnny had his mouth on Eddie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't think he could have gone the other way.
Speaker 3: That Eddie had his mouth on Johnny. Yeah, I think it was mutual. I think they both put their mouths on each other. Yeah. I don't think only one of them got their dick sucked ever, I think they both did it. If that's the argument, what if it was just like a group thing, Well, okay, let's talk about this because I do think.
Speaker 4: I think that there is a level of that is a type of friends as well.
Speaker 3: I do think that there is, and this often feels like at least a root of all the gay rumors that happen in Hollywood is that I think when you reach a certain level of success and fame and money and status and shit, sex changes and it stops just being sort of like this this you know, fucking analog version of like a me, my wife, We have sex. That's it is what it is. And I think these motherfuckers open up their worlds then like try different shit and do it with a bunch of people in the room, because why not, I've had all the sex. And if I'm in a novice entering this space, y'all niggas gay, you know what I mean? Like I don't even know how to explain what the fuck I just saw. So, yeah, you're gay and that may not even be true, it just is. You don't get it.
Speaker 2: Bro Wow Langston positioning themself to be an elite one day, I like.
Speaker 1: This, Hey, we're not doing the show to we're trying to build the bridges.
Speaker 2: No, I feel also, I also think that that's a very good point though. I think that at some point it becomes like a bacchanall orgy type of situation, and maybe some people don't understand that, you know what I mean, and it's like they love they do. There's a bunch of people there, and yeah, I feel like it maybe like a Studio fifty four type of situation.
Speaker 4: You know, we're.
Speaker 2: Upstairs, some people are dancing, some people are fucking. Sometimes Johnny and Eddie are dancing, are fucking sometimes they're like but maybe they maybe it's just like because they were both on the same wave, that's what's kind of caused them to bond. Because you you bond with people that you kind of do dirt with, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, those are the people I'm probably closest to, the ones that I've not my secret.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly exactly and not I'm not saying I understand, I'm not sex shaming. I don't think sex is dirt, but I think in the eighties and early nineties, these type of parties were considered maybe like an underground fetish type of thing. It's like when you know Keith, communities are so tight, like you see furries and they're like tight with each other because they share this thing.
Speaker 3: I think I think, even if we are not calling it dirt, it was considered dirt of that era. And in that way, if you are a celebrity of a certain status, or specifically a black man in a community that or that specifically is making art trying to to engage the black community, the fear is that they are going to label my sexuality, my sexual behavior whatever, dirt, and now I'm going to lose my entire fucking fan base. Like I don't even think white people are aware of Johnny Gill's existence. I think they can't see that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I think you're completely right. I've tried to bring up LSG at like white gatherings, and it never.
Speaker 3: It's like a ghost in a room when they walk.
Speaker 2: In, which is strange that they missed he was in new edition. I mean, arguably not the best new edition.
Speaker 4: But new edition. He wasn't in the new addition that white people know, I know, when they were cute they was he in mint condition?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no, I'm sorry for derailing this. I just mint condition was a new edition reboot, right, it was mint conditioned other.
Speaker 4: Dudes, I think the other dudes. Yeah, different beaters, a whole different thing. I didn't know different leaders, different color beats.
Speaker 2: I didn't whoa. I don't know why I thought that mint condition I thought it was I thought it was in the new edition universe.
Speaker 4: See, this is a problem, man, I'll be getting caught up on ship rhymes.
Speaker 1: I just I just imagine you explaining that to your doctor, like, yo, I'm not dyslexic.
Speaker 3: Rhyme like trying to kill me. I make try me.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Oh man, this might be this is actually helping me because it is when ship rhymes. I do think that it's related.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense? Yeah, of course. I don't like. I don't like the way you guys were quiet.
Speaker 3: I just think, and I can only speak for myself. I just think it's completely unrelatable for me. So I can only acknowledge that this is a real thing you're experiencing.
Speaker 2: No, I'm an iconic class. You know a lot of people, a lot of people say they're built different, but they're built similarly.
Speaker 3: And brother, you built different.
Speaker 2: I'm saying not a lot of guys have had that thought in their head where they were like, is mint condition related to New Edition.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody's had that thought. And that's fucking cool.
Speaker 4: It's journalism. Yeah, it's an issue I deal with. We're all fighting our battles. Anyways, what I think about this is is, yeah, it's like these two guys at the height of their powers, Johnny Gale and ENnie Murphy in the early nineties. Bro, It's like, this is it, Bro, come on the hair alone. They're hanging in LA and yeah, you know, things might have got bachan alien And I just think I think Johnny Gill is like the type of like, only Johnny Gill could shoot a shot like this because dudes from DC, we'll shoot some shots we're not supposed to.
Speaker 3: That is crazy.
Speaker 4: I will tell will go in.
Speaker 3: I will say, and maybe this is a nice way for us to go to break is I've never thought about how cool that is that Johnny Gill pulled the Beyonce of an era being fucking Johnny Gill, you know what I mean. Like he wasn't even supposed to be over there. Somehow he got bitch in the room.
Speaker 2: It's a tiger style move where you're like, wow, this doesn't even I.
Speaker 3: Don't even know how you're doing this. Man, This is like early Nick Cannon. Ye were like, that's.
Speaker 4: Cannon.
Speaker 2: Kind of makes sense because early she was just Paris Hilton's assistant.
Speaker 3: That's I'm thinking, not not so much early Nick Cannon, but I'm thinking more the era after we discovered that he could he could do this over.
Speaker 4: And over and over, Okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it was cool when he had like him, and then it was crazy when he got Christina Milian. But then he did Mariah and we were like, this nigga might be the goat.
Speaker 4: It was amazing. He might be insane off like a couple of songs, off like a song and a half and cost the thing, what's the thing that's a half a book? That's a book.
Speaker 2: That's maybe that's a book. I think is a book. And I don't think he had another one and and.
Speaker 3: A book for the time where we're not saying you should go listen to Jigglo now, don't, please don't. There's a lot of problematic reasons for listening to the song, including the artist that it features.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not a problem. Always shining with the fresh press clothes. I'm just saying, spending lots of dough, always surrounded by so many hosts.
Speaker 4: It was a good song.
Speaker 3: The message, the message is still powerful.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about him, don't worry about Nick and who were on Ducati's don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: All right, we need to take a break. We are long past our time. We're gonna be back with more Jamil Johnson and more.
Speaker 4: My mama told me.
Speaker 2: Landa is not what Johnny gill or Eddie Murphy said when they were involved impossibly a love affair in the late eighties early nineties. We're back with Jamel Johnson. Let's discuss.
Speaker 3: Let's let's dig into it.
Speaker 4: Jamel.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you you hear this in your early formative years. It is circulating on the radio, that's circulating in your community. When you're hearing this as a young person, do you do you believe it. Are you bought in immediately or are you skeptical until you find yourself seeing the dpvs later in life.
Speaker 4: I'm skeptical until later in life. And then later in life I'm like, I'm seeing that and then I'm going back and I'm rewatching Eddie movies and like he's just one of the wildest kissers.
Speaker 1: Something to about the way he kisses. Remember when he slops down halle Berry and Boomerang, it's so insane that I don't I'm just like, I ain't know what I'm like this dude, my fuck anybody?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is man, that's a very good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, slobbing her down, there was no there's no like professional awareness in the way that he was kissing her, you know what I mean, Like, you're not treating her like, yeah, obviously we have sexual chemistry and we'll demonstrate that chemistry, but we are we are not together, we are not actually fucking I'll give you some sort of courtesy as a human. There's none of that.
Speaker 7: It's just like pure fucking throat Campbell type of situation to it.
Speaker 1: And it's just like WHOA just seeing that again and as an adult and you're like ep I don't know what to think anymore.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that.
Speaker 3: Is fair. I did some research on this conspiracy theory, and I will say that very little of it actually feels geared towards the root of the conspiracy theory, like how this actually started. And instead is a lot, a lot a lot of articles refuting and or like addressing the conspiracy theory. So specifically, my personal favorite, there's a twenty third bossip article and it's bossip, so y'all already know how they move. But they said gay rumor control, Johnny Gil.
Speaker 4: Is that a section that they run.
Speaker 3: Round It's gay rumor control colon, which implies that they do this all the time.
Speaker 4: And another one.
Speaker 3: You already know how we get down on the gay roomor control. Nobody's safe. And this is the best part of it, it's gay rumor control. Johnny Gil finally confirms whether or not Eddie Murphy has been smashing his R and B backs to smithering.
Speaker 4: He doesn't say that.
Speaker 3: I swear to God that's the tail to smithereens the smitherings backs multiple backs.
Speaker 4: When this nigga's back just pulverizing.
Speaker 3: Smashing his R and B backs. The smitherings.
Speaker 4: What are R and B backs? Figgre What even is a smithereen? I don't know. Is there such thing as a singular smithereen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you who knows Eddie Murphy because he'd be smashing.
Speaker 6: Backs and tell that at oh So In this article, this bossip article, they basically are doing their their bossip recap of specifically an interview gilded.
Speaker 3: With Yahoo OMG news. Remember this is twenty thirteen. Yahoo is still a reliable source for information. But Kevin Fraser, if you guys are right familiar with Kevin Frasier, he's interviewing Johnny gil and pretty much asked him straight up about why there are so many rumors as it relates to his sexuality. And Johnny says, if I could tell you why, I sure would have by now at this point in time, I would have been able to cure that issue, to get rid of that issue. I took this for the life of me, never never understood where it came from, why it lasted as it's lasted.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess this podcast part of it. But listen, bru, Yeah, what are we supposed to do? I was just I was given this world. I didn't make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Here's where I take a little bit of issue is him sort of being like, I truly have no clue for the life of me how this rumor could have started or where it could have come from. And it's like, Bro, you know where the fuck this came from. You don't have to agree with it. You don't have to like, uh, h.
Speaker 4: Roup might have the role, or you know where it could have came from?
Speaker 1: Bobby Brown, because that was the you know, Johnny gil comes in a new addition to replace.
Speaker 3: Replace the specifically coin him as a replacement. It isn't even yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean Bobby does seem like he could be petty like that. And he was killing too, Bobby. I mean, Johnny went into audition, he's crushing. So Bobby's like, Bobby's got his solo ship, but you know he mad that these niggas didn't fall off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but his ship was so high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know even still, you know he looking over there like these niggas still got hits man, fuck.
Speaker 3: And I bet Bobby was looking down the down the line a little bit as some of them songs, and you're like, Ali, these ain't all of these ain't bangers after this first album. This is starting to get a little.
Speaker 4: I don't I would not feel this. I agree to disagree.
Speaker 2: If I had put out Don't be Cruel, I would maybe I would behave.
Speaker 4: In a way as if I could not be touched. Mmm, you did hear you?
Speaker 2: I think had I put out Don't be Cruel at the height of the time where you could also be famous and still smoke or do cocaine, I think my behavior.
Speaker 1: Oh man, but I think the cocaine might have made him petty. I'm just imagining him on something like David Ruffing. He's leaving new edition, like David Ruffing, like y'all ain't about to be shipped without me kicking me out of the group, all right, we'll see.
Speaker 3: And the new Nigga gay and yeah, yeah, yeah, which does sound like something you would say in the nineties, right yeah, And that new motherfucker gay and you just let that be a rumor that everybody deals with.
Speaker 4: Honestly, that's some shit you saying. Now.
Speaker 1: Now everybody's gay, right, you can talk to anybody, and everybody's gay to anybody.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 3: Ralph Trevan's like, I know, that's why we picked him. That's why we like him so much.
Speaker 4: Here's the right question about this, Why does it seem like this rumor seems to play Johnny Gill and not Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 3: That that was something that I thought about quite a bit, and it's actually does come up a little bit in the research in that same interview with Kevin Fraser, because he actually says some some more interesting shit that I want to read to you guys as we move along. But to your question, Bory, in terms of the Eddie of it all, Kevin Fraser asked him specifically, Yo, why do you think specifically it's Eddie Murphy that you're so sexually attached to, and what does Eddie think about that? And he pretty much says that, like Eddie doesn't think about any of this stuff at all, that like he essentially is like indifferent to it. He laughs at it. He says if anybody were to even bring this up around him, he'd tell them he'd smack them with his wallet. That like he he just would flex his money and be like, bitch, I'm Eddie Murphy more than give a shit about rumors of homosexuality.
Speaker 4: Pretty cool take. And then you gotta think, Eddie, you gotta think Eddie came up.
Speaker 1: Under prior, right, and prior prior was fucking Marlon Brando, And I think and Eddie's Eddie's hip to that, and he's like, all right, well, this is like, how how else am I going to become the Highlander?
Speaker 4: I got? I gotta get me an R and B diva.
Speaker 3: Yeah wow. And I will say this does also explain the beef between Cosby and them more, I think, because I've never for a seconds imagine Cosby fucking around with a man and being like open in that way, right, Like he was probably an obviously a violent horrible man, but he was a conservative, violent horrible man. He was repressed. He was never going to actually explore his sexuality, which is why he turns probably to fucking queludes to earn the sexual exploration that he otherwise cannot just get on his own.
Speaker 4: Thea to the Akuma to Eddie Murphy's Ryu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly that.
Speaker 1: Wos these niggas had to fight in the woods. It was it was like, you know what I'm saying, niggas throwing fireballs.
Speaker 4: And ship fucking bugs don't know nothing about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this nigga's been.
Speaker 4: I don't even have anything to say. He's been mine. If Eddie Murphy ever hears this, Nigga, I called you ryu.
Speaker 3: Nigga said, everybody knows akuma. Bill Cosby's a cuma in this story.
Speaker 4: There's no, it's not clearly the hero get well.
Speaker 3: I would say Eddie Murphy's can uh and Richard Pryor's ryu in this in this story in this specific Yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Say, Johnny gil was and I was.
Speaker 3: Gonna, okay, I want to read you guys some of the more interesting quotes that happened inside of this interview. He goes on to say, let me make sure we're clear on something, whether it's being called gay, accused of being gay, accused of a thief, accused of being anything or any or somebody's lying about you and saying something about you that's not true. It just doesn't feel good. I have such compassion for gay people now more than ever, just simply because in some odd way I've been able to walk in their shoes or to see how they feel and how people treat them and deal with them because of their sexuality.
Speaker 4: Oh, Johnny, why you throw the liar thing in there, the thief part?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why you throw the thiet part. Is this because of the because doesn't he own the name new edition? Didn't he pulled like a he pulled a little move on the squad. And I think I think that is true.
Speaker 3: That Wow, that's fucking nuts. If it is.
Speaker 4: My mama didn't even tell me that. I just that was some shit. I think that might have just been from the b T joint. Let me see holding.
Speaker 2: Also shut out for you actually doing a conspiracy theory that your mom told you. My mom's the case. My mom did tell me this. My mom is also a woman who thinks everyone's gay. My mom is totally on some like. My mom's got a little more diamond and silk to it than I'd like to admit.
Speaker 3: I can say that I think about say there's a.
Speaker 1: Mom my mom thinks Jimmy Butler gay. Now my mom thinks Patrick Mahomes is gay because of his voice this. Now my mom thinks having sex with white women is gay. That's what I say.
Speaker 3: I think. I think, if we're really unpacking this ship, every black mother in the world thinks that having sex with a white woman is like a gateway dro.
Speaker 4: To be and will being.
Speaker 3: You literally destroyed Bory he's not even cable woman anymore. This nigga's done. No man, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: As far as humor goes, that's oh man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: The uh or was that where we were? Oh no?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's weird that he sort of is making these comparisons of Thief and all that other ship. It also bumped me a little bit that he sort of is like trying to squeeze in this I've walked in your shoes ship where it's like, I don't know, big dog, I don't think you get to be like I've walked in your shoes.
Speaker 4: While and be like, but yeah, I am gay too. Though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like when people trying to be like so I felt a little bit of racism and it's like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Like, maybe chill, big dog. I don't think. I don't think y'all are bonded, especially with the way you've been reacting to it.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay.
Speaker 1: Also, they settled all six members own a piece of the name, but it started with Johnny and Ralph. Johnny and Ralph got it trademarked.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is is it actually makes sense and this is actually, I think a pretty fucked up thing about the way the music industry works. But you know, like any band is only technically owned by the lead singer of that band, So like like Destiny's Child cannot exist without Beyonce, like.
Speaker 4: For a multitude reason.
Speaker 3: Sure, but like they literally can't even like pretend to exist without that person because they own the rights to that thing. Like fucking you know, Maroon five, Adam Levine got to go do He's the only one that's actually signed on the contract, so he can go do a solo thing, but his other bandmates cannot until they get permission or like essentially get a new contract for themselves essentially.
Speaker 4: Damn, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: I know it's fucked up.
Speaker 4: It doesn't work that.
Speaker 2: Way in the podcast world, though, y'all me and want to say it now.
Speaker 4: So if I disappear, you know what happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my lawyers are working pretty hard to get those numbers changed.
Speaker 2: But we are fifty fifty to Johnny kill me.
Speaker 3: Hey, but not in a multitude of ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, just the one. Yeah, not the way that could be confused with love or not. I could have love.
Speaker 3: So the wildest quote that I think that I'm excited to hear both of your reactions on. At one point, Johnny says, I'm going to tell you guys something off the record that I know my girlfriend probably won't be happy with me for saying this, which, first of all.
Speaker 2: Brother, you're already dangerous. Yeah, why why is this? How that you stated that?
Speaker 3: And it's it's not off the record, Johnny, You're in a video interview. This is it, this is it. There's a video.
Speaker 4: Oh god, damn it. What are you thinking? Man?
Speaker 3: It's not he ain't thinking it through. I'll tell you that. But but he goes on to say, but I'm going to say it. When we first got together, we've been together for five years, there were so there was so much stuff floating around. Why are you dating this guy? He's gay, blah blah blah, Eddie Murphy, all this stuff is going on, And I'm like, do you believe it? She says no, I just hear everybody just keep saying. And I said, let me tell you something. Here's what we're gonna do. Woke up, we got we got the Yellow Pages, and you know, I mean that was five years ago. So we called this guy. He brought out his machine, strapped down to a lie detective I wrote down questions I made I made her write down questions. When the guy called back with the results and we both laying there in bed, tears came down. I would never want to lay next to someone that might even remotely have any doubt or question of who I am.
Speaker 2: It's just that you might be gay. You killed somebody. This is that's and also not a true story.
Speaker 3: It's not a true story.
Speaker 1: What it is. We both wrote down questions. So the detective dudes like, Johnny Gill, are you gay?
Speaker 4: Okay? Johnny Gill's girlfriend, do you think he's gay? He's the only two questions.
Speaker 3: I don't understand what this questions could have been. It's like, are you gay? But are you for real?
Speaker 2: Now gay?
Speaker 1: All right, here's your question, Johnny. Here's your first question. Have you had sexual intercourse with Eddie Murphy?
Speaker 4: Okay? Johnny Gill's girlfriend, here's your first question. Is your favorite color red?
Speaker 2: You was lying.
Speaker 3: It's your favorite color? Actually, Johnny Gill, chocolate. Because there's a part of me that feels like you was just gassing me up.
Speaker 4: Girl. Man, some one sided light detectory, Like, what.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about? Man? You got a lie detector to come to your house and you wrote the questions. This is crazy. I'm so glad crazy it is twenty twenty four. I just feel like we could the opposite of the Brummers. We could actually get this off.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 1: If this was nineteen ninety five, we would get kicked out of town. Oh, they make us leave the country.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: We would never work with anybody ever again. I think that time.
Speaker 2: I think I feel like we might have some listeners of a certain age who are not going to take wealth to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair that this does feel like we're punching down at whack was struggling with their sexuality. Blah blah blah. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe No, I don't have the answer.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to be better. I work harder every day to figure this out.
Speaker 4: I want to be good.
Speaker 3: I want to be a better guy. And if you have an explanation, or rather a suggestion for where we can improve, we accept that that option. But for now, we three thirty six year old men laughing at uh at our heroes having secret affairs with each other.
Speaker 4: Only one of these men is my hero.
Speaker 3: Look, you've been a Johnny Gill guy from the beginning of the podcast. I always like Eddie Murphy, but you were like, no, Johnny, that's the talent.
Speaker 4: That's the talent.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I don't, can I say ultimately to round this all out, it's just fun to talk about.
Speaker 4: Truthfully, if they were fucking I really don't care.
Speaker 3: No, it wouldn't bother me at all.
Speaker 4: I did. I do change nothing about anything that they've ever done.
Speaker 3: I do think that was the feeling I had more when I was reading all these quotes and interactions between the two of them, is like, it made me sad that this is the game that a fifty year old man has to play, right, more than it makes me grossed out or curious, you know what I mean? Like, I truly don't give a fuck. I just wish that Johnny Gill and Eddie Murphy respectively could be whatever version of sexually fluid they've always been, and maybe it's, you know, truly bisexual. Maybe there's some other game, rich people game inside of it that I don't get. But go be free, bro, don't keep being all bottled up and shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: The truth to this is we don't know shit about what any of these dudes did, but we do know that there has been a sexual awakening in the streets as of late, and you can't act like, oh so everybody just everybody just got non binary this year, Like nah, a lot of niggas in the eighties got to just keep that shit to themselves.
Speaker 4: They didn't even know they were just like nah, No, I just watched Gordon Girls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm just a blanche. I'm not he Yeah, I'm a blanch.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that, to me is the shame of why Eddie Murphy's come back, even if he doesn't if he doesn't ever come back, which I suspect he never will, but even if he does come back, I think that's gonna be the only thing that truly could satisfy this distance in his career right as a stand up is like, come on, man, just talk about it. I truly just want to hear you say it out loud, all the things that we've always wanted to know. But if you just come back with jokes about like how the president walks or whatever the fuck it is, I don't need that ship, man, keep it.
Speaker 2: I also worry that that's why there will never be an Eddie Murphy stand up or come back because like, even at his height, I don't think he was that you know what I'm saying. He was never like a prior style. Yeah, so I think that that would be you know what I mean. He was like I got some eye cream, like that was what the bits were. So I don't think that there's as much of a space for that. And I think he's smart. Why would you want to come back to this? You think I'm going to keep doing this when I get rich?
Speaker 4: Ye? Wait to leave this behind? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I agree. I I wouldn't come back. I'd stay. My boy makes reggae music sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're going to be sixty eating chicken tenders regularly at a comedy club.
Speaker 4: That's insane. Damn. Maybe at the crib, not at the club.
Speaker 3: So it seems like and and well, I'll hit you guys with one more piece of research and we'll wrap this up. But there is an article that I found that I dare it's tough to even call it an article at this point, but it's something what's the name of this, oh, live journal? This is from two thousand and five, back when live journals, I guess, thank goodness, but I found this quote unquote article where Johnny Gill's unnamed girlfriend of the time, who he had just split up with sort of like comes forward to basically say that the ending of their relationship was the result of his down low lifestyle, that she had spent years with him. He was on the down low, and the article claims that Johnny was sleeping at Eddie's house on a near nightly basis, and also suggests that Tevin Campbell, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tyler Perry, and Shamar Moore are also involved. And they tried to recruit Mike Tyson. But it wasn't his scene, is what they say.
Speaker 2: This is where, and I know we got it. Wrap this up soon. I'm just saying, of course it wasn't his. That's where this whole thing. I believed it until she said, Mike Tyson, this is not true.
Speaker 3: I was like, which one of these brave niggas was going to walk up to Mike Tyson?
Speaker 4: Can't be like.
Speaker 3: I okay, okay. I wanted to make fun of it, but you're not wrong if there was the bravest man, because Sugar Ray Leonard knows that he knows boxing too well to know he's not doing that with Mike Tyson. He's in his fucking prime. You're not taking that risk. Shamar Moore is such a psychopath.
Speaker 4: He has an unbridled confidence.
Speaker 3: That that he would do it, and I bet he was so gorgeous at the time that fucking Mike Tyson was like, I'm not gonna hit this nigga, But nah, it ain't my saying, Shamal mooris stay away from.
Speaker 2: Me, respectfully. I'm not going to do to your face what I need to do. What I want to do to your face.
Speaker 3: Is that's your money, and you deserve your money, and you look good as Jamal and Moore. But I'll beat your ass if you ever do that again.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we did.
Speaker 3: I do think we did it. I think it seems like none of us really feel solid in this conspiracy theory, but we do feel solid that Eddie Murphy and Johnny Gill deserve whatever love that they want or are having, and frankly, they should spend a little bit more time just being open with themselves rather than repressing it and pretending like this is some poisonous fate cursed upon them.
Speaker 4: I think I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, just rewatch on it, Mansion, and you tell me what you think when you rewatch it. If you tell me what Eddie's trying to tell us, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go watch a thousand words, Jamelle.
Speaker 3: You want to tell the people where they can find you and what cool shit you have going on.
Speaker 1: You can find me at Broccoli House on Instagram. That's kind of the main non off. A comic on Twitter, still over there getting It and several shows. It's the air Buds at Airbuds Podcast for basketball things, the Brand and Jamail Show for just general pop culture, and Little Football Show Coach Sar we love football as well.
Speaker 4: That's me. Hell yeah, thank you boys.
Speaker 3: Go listen to every podcast Jamail has follow him on all the socials, Bory what you Got.
Speaker 2: Cool guy joke Saty seven on Instagram. Tour is over, baby, so I'm just download playing the next one, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm rubbing. I'm headlining Comedy Work Denver Comedy Works November twelfth, and I have a little bit of extra merge from the tour, so I might put that online here in a couple of weeks, So watch for that. If you wanted to support and buy a T shirt or something like that. But other than that, yeah, just check the Instagram. I'm around hell Yeah.
Speaker 3: November tenth and eleventh, you can see me at the Vermont Comedy Club in Bloomington, uh. And then November seventeenth and eighteenth you can see me at Hyenas in Dallas, Texas. And as always, you can follow me at Langston Kerman. And if you want to send us your own drops, your own conspiracy theories, if you want to tell me who else was in those orgies that was brave enough to talk to Mike Tyson, send it all to my Mama pod at gmail dot com and subscribe, like do all the shit that you're supposed to do on all the social media stuff to support the podcast. And that's the whole thing. By bitch, the government babies my chips in your namies. All Kuala bears.
Speaker 2: Are racist, the hostal layer hosting money, Mars Turney stuff.
Speaker 4: I can't tell me, Governor