Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 3: Sports is business, and whenever you are procuring child you must start with the crime.
Speaker 4: Cherating owners of this league and wanting our league to be the best in the world. How do we make it better?
Speaker 5: The valuations are getting so high, at the list of people who could purchase a team that was getting really short.
Speaker 1: You have eight strategic investment areas when you look at.
Speaker 6: The world of sports, and these already in two hundred and ten countries around the world.
Speaker 1: NFL is an amazing things for the sports betting industry.
Speaker 3: We have the World's upcoming in twenty twenty six in North America.
Speaker 2: Hey, if I get a million dollars, We're going to a school testing.
Speaker 6: How be you there?
Speaker 7: Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 6: This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports show where we explored the big money issues in the world of sports.
Speaker 8: Michael Barr, I'm Scarlett Foo and I'm Memian sas hour on the lineup.
Speaker 6: Today. It is golf season, Babay. The air is warming up, the sun is setting later, and the grass is getting greener on this side. And we're going to talk with Dan Murphy, the president and CEO of bridge Stone Golf, on his company's partnership with Tiger Woods and the rold Tiger has in his company's development of golf balls and clubs.
Speaker 9: Plus, Bloomberg Originals Chief correspondent Jason Kelly stops by to talk about his new Bloomberg Originals TV program and podcasts with none other than a Rod The Baseball Legend. It's a program that showcases conversations with sports champions and business titans like Maria Sharapova and one Derek Jeter as they reveal some of their investment philosophies.
Speaker 6: That is straight ahead on the Bloomberg Business of Sports show. But first, preparing for retirement is not easy, no kidd, And for professional athletes, it's all about becoming a champion with hopes that the millions they made along the way is enough to help pay the bills. But nowadays athletes are looking to cash in and maintain their brand supremacy even after retirement. Lucky for them, there have never been more ways for athletes to earn billions. Joining us now to discuss how some of the most known athletes today are working toward that coveted billion dollars goal. You know, the man old friend of the show, Bloomberg News, Kim Bessen, Kim, welcome sports again. Up.
Speaker 2: How are we doing today?
Speaker 6: Oh man, I'm now I'm thinking about retirement all over again and realize, you know, it won't be until I'm one hundred. But you know what, you don't have to be and you wrote this, you don't have to be the goat to hit the billionaire status as an athlete. Can you expand more?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I think when you think about like the richest athletes in the world, you the names that come up are like Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, like among the best to ever do it in their sports every single time.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 10: But now, for you don't have to be the best in your sport to make a whole ton of money. And that's because there's more routes, there's more opportunities, there's more ways to get into business and make a bunch of money for yourself.
Speaker 6: So you're saying, I got a chance, you still, let's do this.
Speaker 2: It's never too late, all right.
Speaker 9: So give us an example of someone who is not the goat in his or her sport and yet through savvy investments, through timely networking, and through well negotiated deals, has done a pretty good job for himself. Yeah, and it's him a lot of the times.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 10: It is him a lot of the times. I just want to give you an example of someone who is still young, and it's not even requiring him to step off the court and make a ton of money with businesses in the NBA. You can do this just by signing max contracts. Right, Jalen Brown is not the best player on his own team, and he's going to be making nearly three hundred million dollars over the next several years. Right, if you parse us out for the rookies, like the youngest players in the league who are entering right now, Yes, it looks like Victor Webbanyama is going to be absolutely incredible. Paolo Bankearo just made his first All Star team. Brandon Miller on the Hornets is starting to heat up over there. These are the kinds of kids who just have to keep signing max deals, And if they keep signing max deals, if they pan out over the course of their career, maybe you know, once in a while, making All NBA Third Team be an All Star a couple times, and they just keep signing Max deals, they will be billionaires in their thirties.
Speaker 8: Kim running through the numbers a little bit, because I've read that deck about Victor webin Yama, the seven foot four Spurs sensation, who is you know, if he keeps signing MAX contracts, will earn you know, I think a billion dollars or something by the time I'm well over that. But you know, if you compare that to Michael Jordan or you know, Tiger Woods or some of these people who have these huge marketing deals and who made money. I mean Michael Jordan's case. You know, he's an owner of the Charlotte Hornets. You know, is it possible for somebody like a webin Yama to overtake career earning from someone like Michael Jordan or must he do something himself off the court in order to get there.
Speaker 10: Michael, I think, is the specialist of special cases, right his the Jordan brand is just so huge and he signed what the you know, the first royalty deal in signature shoe history, Once upon a time?
Speaker 6: How long ago is that?
Speaker 2: Forty years ago?
Speaker 6: Oh? Man?
Speaker 10: So he's a special case here. But team ownership is certainly like a path to wealth now, and you're seeing these players put money into and become minority owners in the other leagues that they're not currently playing in their in their home town. So like Miles Garrett on the Cleveland Browns has a stake in the Cavaliers basketball, and.
Speaker 2: We got the Jannis on the Bucks.
Speaker 10: He owns a part of the Brewers, and then Marshawn Lynch is in the Seattle Kraken the hockey team. Like these opportunities are they exist for these players. And again, they don't have to be the very best in the game to do it.
Speaker 6: You don't have to be And you wrote about this and I saw it. I'm like, oh man, you don't have to be in college. You don't have to be in high school, you don't have to be in middle school. There was a nine year old who signed in Snoop Dogg's youth football league and signed for six figures. He's nine. Oh yeah, I am depressed. Now just listen, kid, I'm happy for you. Yeah, I can say kid because I'm oldest dirt kid. I'm happy he's nine. He is, but this is it's amazing to me.
Speaker 2: Kim yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, the the NCAA rule really opens up a lot of a lot of things for kids now right, You're not going to risk any kind of eligibility going forward.
Speaker 2: It's like it is fascinating.
Speaker 10: I think when we saw at the very it was the college kids actually signing these deal student athletes who have garnered some sort of social following and so on at the very very start of the rule change at the NCAA had, but it was kind of natural that they would go younger. You saw high school kids getting signed, and now it's we're getting further down there, nine years old.
Speaker 6: You know, it's okay at age time. Here I go again. I remember when you were nine years old, the only way you could really make some money was to go on the game show, the kids version of the Hollywood Squares. They didn't even pay you in regular money because they had the rule where you got savings bonds, which was half of what dang.
Speaker 1: Man, he's outraged. He is properly outraged.
Speaker 9: Let's go from a nine year old tackle football player in Snoop's youth football league to Steph Curry, the goat for the Golden State Warriors, and you know, three point shot man extraordinary. You wrote a story about him and how he has He's done well in terms of his sneaker sponsorship under Armoor. He put them on the map when it comes to sneakers, but not so much in terms of really winning over big sneaker fans, the sneaker heads out there. What's the difference here and why is it important to him?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I mean Stephen told me I met up with him at All Star weekend in Indianapolis, as you do, Kim, and he said he's planning to retire in four or five years, So the clock is running low here. It seems like he wants to leave the game while still playing at a high level. I don't think we're gonna see Steph Curry standing in the corner at forty three just knocking down a couple threes a game. I think he wants to be a superstar until the day he steps away. So if he's gonna leave fairly soon, that would put him at about forty, which is when Michael Jordan retired Lebron. Seems like he's gonna go back if he keeps playing like this still nine.
Speaker 2: I think he's gonna give you going.
Speaker 10: But there's limited time left for for Stephan Curry to have that kind of influence on the court, being on TV eighty two times a year and then playing in the playoffs and all the hype around that and the All Star Game and everything. So whatever he's doing after his basketball career, it won't be quite the same. So what he wants to do is really develop off the court shoes, shoes that are in sneaker culture, shoes that that.
Speaker 2: That people are are, you know, lining up around the block.
Speaker 10: For like you see with with some other with some other brand, Jordan's with Jordan's absolutely, And yeah, he said explicitly, the Jordan brand is the pinnacle of what an athlete can do with their platform, and he wants to make his own version of that and wants that to be part of his legacy.
Speaker 2: He also said, like, what's my legacy going to be?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, Steph, Man, he's wondering about that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're the best shooter ever, Like there's no four championships.
Speaker 2: Two MVPs.
Speaker 1: Well, he really doesn't see that.
Speaker 2: I think, I mean, he shouldn't be worried. He shouldn't be worried about this.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 8: Can I ask you a quick question I mean, I'm looking at under Armour shares here at nine dollars down, you know, roughly a third of what they were in late twenty twenty one. You know, just how a creative could steph Curry b to the share price to under Armour and for that matter, in the environment we're coming out of. I mean, look at what just happened with Adidas, with Nike. I mean, you know, what are the chances for success and how's that going to kind of translate through into the share price.
Speaker 10: Under Armour is going through a major transformation right now. So they brought in a new CEO last year, Stephanie Lennartz from Marriott International, and she has has started on this three year turnaround plan for under Armour and the whole athletic wear industry over the past year has had trouble, right so when the pandemic hit, it was like stores closed, just does in twenty twenty twenty one. We don't have enough inventory because it was hard to run our supply chains. At the time twenty twenty two and twenty three, they had too much inventory because they ordered too much stuff. And now we're finally getting to the end of that. So we're seeing a reset with brands, with brands like under Armour. So this brand under Armour, she is prioritizing a couple things here, so more women's wear, more footwear, and then more what they call they're calling sports style, which just means, you know, casual clothes that one would wear not in the gym. So those are the three things. And Curry brand is what gave them permission to enter footwear to begin with back in twenty thirteen, right, that really solidified their place to give the permission to play in basketball, which is which is the most important thing. Basketball and running are just so crucial. Curry is their star. He's for sure, they're top star, and they're going to try to build this around him.
Speaker 6: You mentioned about Nike, by the way, I wonder if Nike screwed up because they had Curry in a round right when when it started, and then something happened, and then, like you said, Kim twenty thirteen, then he signs with.
Speaker 10: Underham There's a there's a fascinating story that ESPN got into a few years ago, that the saga of Stephen Curry leaving Nike for under Armour.
Speaker 1: This is the sequel, by the way.
Speaker 8: Name Yeah, they pick Durant's name on the presentation, right, they put Duran's name on the.
Speaker 9: This this needs to be made into a movie, kind of like how Matt Damon or I should say Ben Affleck made air.
Speaker 2: And they kept calling him like Stephen like no, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: That's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Old friend of the show, Kim Bessen, thank you, my man. We really do appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: You always drop some knowledge on this.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: I love hearing you. Appreciate you all. Up next on the show, we speak with our friend Jason Kelly on his newest Bloomberg Originals program that he co hosts with former baseball player and New York Yankees icon Rodriguez. You're listening to the Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio around the world.
Speaker 7: This is Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports show. But we explored the big money issues the world of sports. I'm Michael Varre alongside Carlott Fu and Damian Sasauur. When sports, business and culture collide, there's often a deal to be made. Alex Rodriguez and Bloomberg correspondent Jason Kelly get the inside track from corporate titans, sports champions, and game changing entrepreneurs on investing, strategy, reinvention and the ones that got away. The Deal with Alex Rodriguez and Jason Kelly is a Bloomberg Podcasts and Bloomberg original series that's passionate, relaxed, insightful, and inspirational. If you think you know these icons, prepare to be Here is a tease of the show airing now featuring tennis icon Maria Showerpova.
Speaker 5: There's going to be viewers that have watched this that are founders that have a business that their dream would be for Maria to invest in their business. Can you tell us a little bit about how you think about businesses which sectors kind of broadly check sizes. How do you think about being a value added investor.
Speaker 4: One of my first investments, actually the first investment was into a sunscreen brand called Supergoup. I was a user myself founded a Sephora market. I think that was their only distribution at the time. This was twelve years ago. I knocked on the door of the founder and I said, I love your product. It's the only one I can wear while I play doesn't run in my eyes. It doesn't burn my eyes or sting them. Can I please help you out. I don't know what stage you're at, I don't know how young or old you are, but I love what you're doing and from what I've read, I love your mission. That was it, and two years ago they sold seventy five percent of their steak for close to a billion dollars. It was the first time where I didn't take that paycheck at the beginning, and I said, let me invest, let me give you my time, my platform, my voice, and help share this message about preventing skin cancer. And that was a successful example, and there's been several others not so. But the point is is that it came from loving the product. It came from the mission that the founder had that I resonated with, and the fact that I could help it. Like I was realistic that I had the right platform and that I had the right usership in order to help them grow. So I think all that was it was a good foundation in my investment story. And not to say that there's something that I may not be familiar with or that I'm taking a chance on. I still should take the call. I still should spend time with the founders, But ultimately I want to have a good feel of what this is, right. I want to spend time. I want to have dinner with these people, right. So I want to believe in people that know how to lose and how that will come up and find ways to win.
Speaker 6: So joining us now to give us some more inside his co host of the show and friend of ours, Jason Kelly. Jason, your new show is called The Deal. Tell us about it.
Speaker 11: It's all happening. Yeah, it's been in the worst for a while. This is a show that Alex and I conceived a little more than a year ago, and you know, the concept.
Speaker 2: Was sort of straightforward.
Speaker 11: At One of the stories that I've told that I think you guys will appreciate is we had gotten to know each other over the course of me working on a documentary about him for a series we did called Athlete Empire and Bloomberg Originals, And we were having lunch and talking about wanting to do something together, and we started talking about this idea of the podcast, and we kind of wandered around in conversationally and we were talking about NBA ownership, which obviously he's a part of.
Speaker 2: Now we were talking about.
Speaker 11: Valuations, talking about various things, and at one point, as we started talking about the podcast again, he said, what would it be? And I basically said, well, this this is the show. Like this is the show, like Seinfeld, this is the show. And the concept is there is this collision as you guys are living every week of call it business, sports, culture, technology, politics, all of it, and there are some fascinating people doing deals at the core of it. And so that's what we set out to do. And we went and found some I think super interesting people to talk to, and.
Speaker 9: You talked to Maria Sharapova among others. How many of the folks that you talked to are people that alex Ardriguez has done deals with because he's out there.
Speaker 11: He is out there, and it's a great point. I mean, he's out there quite a bit. And it's funny you talk about Maria. One of the funniest moments of the episode, she actually gives him a little bit of a hard time about like not calling her for deals and because they have looked at stuff together. I mean, as you guys well know, because a lot of these folks have been on this show. The circle as it were, of really top tier athletes who are super serious about making investments. Is actually a relatively small club, and they they certainly bounce, bounce off of each other and run into each other. So there are a few people that that Alex has doesn't work with. I mean, he worked very closely with Derek jeeter Is, who's a guest on college show up Coming. They were they were colleagues, and you know, we joked in in that episode.
Speaker 2: I mean I sort of half joked that.
Speaker 11: You know, one of the most important deals you could argue that happened in New York Yankees history was the deal for Alex to move to third base so that he could play next to Jeter. Uh and they won a World Series and obviously a complicated relationship, and we dig into that a lot in the show.
Speaker 8: I can't wait, well, Jason, I mean, you went right there, so I'm gonna have to. I'm gonna have to, you know, trump that. I mean, think about the contract that Derek Jeter signed with the New York Yankees and the business side of that and what Alex rodriguez Is negotiations did to pad.
Speaker 6: That for him.
Speaker 8: I wonder if you guys got into that. But story for another day. Talk to us a little bit about, you know, some of the other guests you hope to have on the show going forward. I mean, you know, Alex runs in these crazy circles that expand beyond sports, into media, into finance. You know, where do you find Alex to be most comfortable?
Speaker 11: You know, it's a really interesting question, Damian. You know, I found him to be comfortable really across the board. You know, this is a guy who really started thinking about business off the field, almost from the moment he became a professional athlete, which he did coming out of high school, as you guys know, you know, drafted but number one by the Mariners. And you know, he bought his first multi family real estate property in Miami essentially with his first check, and it's sort of built from there. And he is he's a total sponge and really a student. And he talks about you know, being a young athlete and being on the road and you know, going in to see Jerry Reinsdorf and going in in obviously to see you know, George Steinbrenner. Once he came to the Yankees, like literally like you know, padding into the office in his cleats and just sitting and listening to these guys, and so his his rolodex is unbelievable. There's a there's a very funny moment also in the Maria Sharpova episode where she notes these shoes that he's wearing, and he like, can't help him. He can't help it flex a little bit because they were a gift from Bob Kraft. They are like signature custom posts super Bowl Nikes that he was wearing, and of course Maria teased him about that.
Speaker 9: So what what were you most surprised by in your frequent conversations with a Rod?
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry, do you don't call him Arod?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be able to stop myself.
Speaker 2: No, I call him Alex.
Speaker 11: I mean, but there is this interesting thing even on that point, Scar which is almost think of him in these two halves, or you know, two parts of his career, you know, the player and Alex the investor. In many Alex the businessman, Alex the CEO. You know, I mean, in terms of surprises, I think there are a couple.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 11: One is sort of this this unbelievable curiosity and really real desire to understand what drives other people, and his willingness to kind of compare notes and to that point. So the second surprise is a real vulnerability in like showing things that he doesn't know or sharing experiences that he's had. You know, we do in the context of the Derek Jeter episode, you know, talk about their relationship and I won't spoil it, but you know, they both say some really interesting things, and Alex says, I thought some really interesting things about how he saw it all develop You know, these are guys. These are two guys who met when they were teenagers real it got real, I mean, and they were on the cover of Sports Illustrated. They tell a great story about being teenagers in LA and like sitting in a cab and talking about like what they would what they would do to basically play baseball the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: You didn't have no more Collin.
Speaker 2: We did not. No no Ma, no no ma.
Speaker 8: Jason. I have to ask this, you know, I mean, everyone myself included. I'm fifty years old.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: We remember, you know, all the drama surrounding a Rod and all the the media hype surrounding his persona, his brand at that point in time, and what a lot of us don't know are all the work that this man has done with the Boys and Girls Club of America, the University of Miami, where my son's a freshman, I mean all of the I mean I remember him speaking at my son's sleep away camp some ten years ago, you know, an inspirational kind of event during visiting day.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: You know, Alex has given back his entire career and I'm I'm just curious, you know how that kind of comes through in the podcast. I mean, you know, he has two daughters, He's a family man. I mean, talk to us a little bit about, you know, the soft side of Alex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting, you know.
Speaker 11: I mean, this is a guy who will be the first to say and he says it a lot in the podcast. Has done a lot of work on himself. You know, he went through with record suspension in Major League Baseball. He talks about that, you know, he talks about the lessons learned.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: I think you know, one of the interesting things too about him, which is both a personal and a business observation, is he is incredibly rare as well in this transition from player to team owner. You know, he's the owner he's a co owner of the Minnesota Timberwolves in Minnesota Links and the w n B A, and I think that perspective really opens him up as a human candidly because he's dealing with these young players in a way that almost no one else, no other owner. Can you know, if you're and this is no disrespect in the him, but if you're Jerry Jones, or you're Josh Harris, or you're Steve Ballmer, it's like you didn't play, Like you don't know what that feels like to be in an arena or to be in a stadium and to know that pressure. And so to have someone who can, you know, ultimately be your boss and say like, I know what it's like, like I know what it's like when you have a bad game. I know what it's like when people blew you. I know what it's like when people cheer for you. I know what it's like to be written about, and all these different things. I think it just adds it in almost like emotional and human complexity and possibility and opportunity for Alex. That is is an interesting one to me, at least a.
Speaker 9: Multi dimensional Alex Rodriguez bringing out the different sides of the famous athletes that he works with, that he's associated with and that he sees as colleagues in many ways.
Speaker 6: And Jason, where can people watch the program?
Speaker 11: It's available as a podcast and as a video, so on Bloomberg Television, on YouTube, on Bloomberg dot com, and then on the podcast side where you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: And after that it'll be a weekly series.
Speaker 11: Weekly series, twelve episodes, so stay tuned, and you know, coming up, as you guys mentioned, we'll have Michael Strahand, we have Derek Jeter, we have Constance Schwartz Marini, who is actually Michael Strahan's business partner and also chief advisor to Coach Prime and has worked with Snoop Dogg and Aaron Andrews.
Speaker 2: She tells a great Taylor Swift story.
Speaker 8: Who talks as if he knows these guys personally.
Speaker 11: Larry Fitzgerald, we'd spent some time with him. He was an incredible Hannah Storm. So a lot of really fun conversations. I'm excited for you guys to hear them up.
Speaker 6: Next on the show, we speak with ridge Stone Golf President and CEO Dan Murphy. I'm Michael Barr along with Scarlett fu and Damian Saasaur. You're listening to Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio around the world.
Speaker 7: This is Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. Welcome back to the Bloomberg Business of Sports. I'm Michael Barr, joined as always with Scarlett Fooh and Damian Sasaur. You've probably heard the name Tiger Woods, but did you know Tiger Woods has had a long relationship with ridge Stone Golf for many years, over twenty to be exact, helping the company with prototyping and testing the company's golf balls, clubs and accessories. So joining us to talk about that partnership and the growth of the Sport International League is the President and CEO of Bridgestone Golf, Dan Murphy. Dan, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I'm excited to be with you.
Speaker 6: So now I'm getting excited even though I am I tried golf once and I'm not very good. I'm not very good at anything, but golf is exciting and people will play playing. Right now, the weather is starting to break. The groundhog said, you know what, go out there and hit the off course. Where do you see the industry heading for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It's a very interesting industry. I've been in it for twenty five years and I've seen the ups and downs, and ever since the pandemic, we had a shut down of our industry, and then in May of twenty twenty, we saw a boom in golf. It was the safe play. People could get out and get some recreation, some fresh air and out of the house, and golf has been booming ever since.
Speaker 9: That's one of the things that has really stuck around after the pandemic, this idea that golf has seen this renaissance and it's picked up interest, especially among the younger set. So I'm curious from where you sit, who you see as the next ambassador for the sport. Tiger Woods certainly impactful, but not in the same way that he was before, even as he continues to increase his marketing possibilities with his new deal, his new apparel line with Taylor Made, Who's the future of golf?
Speaker 3: From where you sit, well, it's hard to say. I mean, we still think it's Tiger. Tiger is our guy. He plays a bridgetone golf ball, He's played a bridgetone golf ball for many many years. You know, he really moves the needle for us, and he's still the guy. In twenty twenty four, he's really got a much more extensive playing schedule. He's talking about playing once a month. So I think next up could be the Players, and then Masters after that, and PGA Championship after that, and then we'll see where he goes. But we think Tiger's still the guy. He's the one that moves the ratings meter and he's the one that definitely helps us sell golf balls. Though I don't know that there's ever going to be another exact Tiger Woods. I think there's a group of guys out there that are pretty good, Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Victor Hobland, And I think that's the exciting thing about our sport is you just never know where that next superstar is going to come from or how that the next one will blossom. So hard to say specifically, and I don't know that since Jack Nicholas that we've had anybody of the stature of Tiger Woods, and I don't know that we'll see that again in our generation. But there'll be some good young players that will move the needle and draw some ratings.
Speaker 8: Dan, that is the right answer. There will never be another Tiger. I mean, what a great answer. But I mean, in full disclosure, I wonder if you could tell our audience a little bit about why I should be using Tiger's Tour BX Bridgestone golf balls as opposed to the pro v one X. I mean, talk to me about that. And our audience doesn't know the technology, the sophistication of what goes into the production of the perfect golf ball.
Speaker 6: See Dan, you can tell who is the great golfer here among them.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting. We certainly we love Tiger playing our ball, and he plays a model called the Tour BX, and it's it's designed for his game. One of the things that makes us different. They talk about one model being the right model for everybody, that one size fits all. We've gone in a very different strategy, a very different offering to consumers where we talk about fitting and fitting the right golf ball to the right right golfer. You know, we don't all wear size extra large shirts or size twelve shoes, and we don't all play extra stiff shafts like the pros do on tour so why are we all playing the same golf ball? So bridge Stone popularized and really made it a brand position to talk about fitting, and so we take the characteristics of each individual golfer, incorporate that into the choice, and then recommend one of several different golf balls, not just the one size fits all.
Speaker 6: I want to mention something about Tiger Woods. Fifty years from now, is Tiger Woods going to be like the Chuck Taylor of sneakers?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, the Michael Jordan maybe I think he will be. I think his accomplishments are so far above and beyond what everybody else has been able to do. And you know, the only person that I think is measurable to him is Jack Nichols himself. But yeah, I think we'll be talking about Tiger Woods for a long long time and using him as a standard of measure of what the superstar looks like.
Speaker 9: Tiger Woods is one storyline when it comes to the world of golf. The other storyline, of course, is this possible live golf PGA merger, which I don't think we have any clarity on right now, even as.
Speaker 1: A PGA tour reached a deal with a group.
Speaker 9: Of billionaire sports team owners to get up to three billion dollars in into a new for profit entity, PGA Tour Enterprises. I mean, it's kind of just a big bundle of headlines that, at least for us, doesn't really clarify what's next. Clearly, there's a lot of movement, there's a lot of drama here. Is this drama between Live Golf and PGA good for your business? Bad for your business?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think a unified tour would be better for our business. I think it's a little distracting to have a separation of the best players in the world, some playing on one tour and some on another. So yeah, I think it would be better for our business if they got back together in some form or fashion. We've been watching it very very closely, and we've had players go in each direction. So yeah, we don't know what's going to happen next, but we're anxious for it to be resolved. For a unified golf tour featuring the best players in the world, we think would be better for everybody.
Speaker 8: Dan is March sixth circled on your calendar? I mean, because we all know that March sixth is when Full Swing Season two releases, right, and they caught a lot of last year's drama. And I'm just curious, you know, your thoughts on Netflix on Full Swing on Full Swing two. I mean, is this also good for the game of golf?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, I think it. There's a couple of things really working in golf's favor, and certainly the Netflix Full Swing is really a good one. You know, as it happened with Formula One, it really broadened the audience base and got a lot more diversity and a lot more eyeballs on the sports. So I think that's gonna gonna help a lot as well. I think also this whole activity of off course golf is really helping off course golf, meaning top golf or simulator golf that that has become very very popular the last five or ten years, and I think that's acted as a feeder system to to really keep golf going in a big way and nourish our our participation numbers in a very positive way.
Speaker 6: I want to talk more about that, about the simulated golf in all the facilities that have something like that, because the technology in golf today is totally different than what it was even twenty thirty years ago. All I knew about golf back then was well, it's a little white ball and it's round, and that's it. Now you have everything to break down your swing. And I'm not talking about just a video. I'm talking about all of the AI involved with trying to get your game better. Where do you see the future of AI taking golf.
Speaker 3: We're using it in ball fitting. I talked a little bit about ball fitting, and we have an AI application that we think is pretty cool where a golfer can come in and interact with our AI program and input what's important to them relative to the formans of golf ball, some of their characteristics of how they swing, and hey, I will give them back a recommendation. So what we're doing is we're using AI to help educate consumers about ball fitting and getting the right ball for their game. So, you know, I think I think it can be a help. I think we're all trying to figure out AI, not only in the golf space, but but across our our overall company.
Speaker 6: See that's why I'm afraid of AI. I'm sure it's going to come back.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Giving my input is like you suck bar because you can't swing.
Speaker 8: Diddley Squad and you know, going back to things, I mean, talk to us about you know, international expansion. Talk to about what Live means, you know, I mean, you see you see tournaments now in places like Singapore and Asia. You know, talk to us a little bit about the international expansion, what that means for you what that means for Bridgestone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for Bridgetone, we're you know, we're excited about international. We're Tokyo based. We're riding a wave of golf participation increases all across the across the globe, particularly in Asia. Korea has been a great, great market for US. Japan we're number one in Japan in terms of market share, and then Europe has been very good for US as well. So, you know, we see golf growing in popularity, live or not live. I don't know if we credit Live with bringing golf to new locations. I don't know that yet, But I know that golf is surging in popularity. And you know, the US market is by far the biggest Market's about fifty percent of the global market, and it really sets the stage and sets the tone for the rest of the world. And so as the US has taken off, the rest of the markets are taken off as well, so we're excited about that.
Speaker 9: And when it comes to that growth, I want to go back to something you said, which was the off course golf, the idea of just going to the driving range or simulated golf. Can you give us a breakdown of what the growth looks like in off course golf versus traditional golf on course golf, and how much of your market is in off course golf.
Speaker 3: Well, we're totally on course, so think about the mark in terms of off course participation and on course participation. And I just happen to have some new numbers from MGF, that's one of the industry groups, and they talk about there being thirty three million US golfers that play off course. That means top golf or simulator golf, so thirty three million. They talk about twenty seven million people playing en course golf, and there's some overlap between those two groups, but the actual number of people playing off course golf is greater now and growing more rapidly. And before the pandemic, let's see, I've got a cool staff here. The off course business is up forty one percent versus twenty nineteen before the pandemic, So a lot of big change in behavior. And you know, us traditional we make golf balls. Bridgetone Golf makes golf balls, and so we're mostly interested in people getting out onto a green grass golf course and playing and hitting those balls in the woods so we can replace them, right. So it's interesting because at first, when the off course business started to really take off, some of us traditionalists were worried about it. We said, oh my gosh, there's only so many golf dollars going around. From a consumer perspective, are these guys going to take golf time and money away from us? And the answer has clearly been no. It's become a feeder system, almost an entry point for golfers to you know, if you go to Top Golf one of the restaurants or so, you can have a beer and hit some golf balls in a very friendly environment with your family or your friends, and that makes you more likely to come out and experience green grass golf, which is where we benefit well.
Speaker 6: Dan, the way I drive, I've sliced too many tires, but that's another story in a new show altogether. Dan Murphy, President and CEO of Bridgestone Golf, Thank you so much, sir, for joining us on the Bloomberg Business of Sports. We really do appreciate it well.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. Is a great honor to be on Bloomberg.
Speaker 6: This has been the Bloomberg Business of Sports show. Our special things to Bloomberg News, Kim bessin, Bloomberg Originals, Jason Kelly, and Bridgestone Golf President and CEO Dan Murphy for joining us on the program this week, and thank you for tuning in. Remember to check our the Deal with Jason Kelly and Alex Rodriguez. It's out now streaming on Bloomberg Originals, and you can also listen to the podcast by going to Bloomberg dot com or on any of your favorite streaming platforms. Forris Scarlett fou and Damien Sassaur, I'm Michael Barr. Thanks again for joining us. Tune in again next week for the latest on the stories moving big old money in the world of sports. You're listening the Bloomberg Business of Sports Bloomberg Radio around the world.