Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and and I'm John Tucker. Here are these stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: John, Let's begin with the presidential race and a remarkable week for Vice President Kamala Harris. Since she announced her presidential campaign last Sunday, Harris has raised two hundred million dollars and her favorability rating has jumped from thirty five percent to forty three percent in an ABC News poll. Democratic Governor JB. Pritzker of Illinois says it's a whole new campaign.
Speaker 4: The electorate is energized. Democrats are ready to go. You've seen hundreds of thousands of people signing up to volunteer. Plus our candidate is the energizer bunny. She's been everywhere all the time over the last several days, and we're excited about that.
Speaker 3: But Republican Governor Chris Snunu of New Hampshire says this is just a honeymoon period for Harris. The first poll I believe that we'll actually matter if I may is the Wednesday after Labor Day, right, so you're going to have.
Speaker 1: This thirty day honeymoon period. Things will settle folks.
Speaker 5: Will get back, talk to their family and friends, come off with summer vacation, put their kids in school, all that sort of stuff, and then they'll start really thinking about what this race really means.
Speaker 3: Both Governors christ and Younu and JB. Pritzker were guests on ABC's This Week Heard Every Sunday on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: And we now turn into a controversial election in Venezuela, the country's political opposition rejecting the electoral authorities ruling that Nicholas Madora was re elected as the president on Sunday, the US and some Latin American neighbors also raising concerns about the official result. Bloomberg News Latin American executive editor Creton Harrison's as confirmation of the vote tally is now key.
Speaker 6: The latest report we got from the opposition and was that they'd gotten about thirty percent of the tabulated votes. They're supposed to have access to verified account. Whether the international community can do any better has yet to be seen. There are some election observers, some of the ones that we all know, like the Carter Center, are here in Venezuela. We'll hear from the Carter Center. Supposedly on Tuesday with their report on this election, so we may get some interesting details there. But yes, the US isn't knowing when the President of Chile had just came out and said that he will not recognize the results until he sees some verifiable results.
Speaker 2: News Latin American executive editor Creighton Harrison reports the Electoral Center declared Maduro the winner with fifty one point two percent of the vote, compared with forty four point two percent for rival at Bundo Gonzalez, but a name zipool conducted by the US firm Edison Research at Gonzalez winning by more than thirty percentage points. That's adding to suspicions that Manduro's administration tampered with the Tally.
Speaker 3: And John Tensions are escalating in the Middle East as well. Overnight, Israel attack Hesbolat targets, and it's threatening further retaliation for a rocket strike that killed twelve children and teenagers in the Goal On Heights. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nintanya, who's just back from a visit to the US and he is held back to back consultations with military chiefs and his security cabinet. We get more from Bloomberg Israel Bureau chief Ethan Brunner.
Speaker 7: The overwhelming nature of the commentary in Israel is let's do it smart and carefully and let's not start another war. But you know, you can't always determine whether war results from what you do, so they're trying to figure it out. I mean, the likeliest, it seems to me, is either going after his Belah leaders or going after his Blah military targets. I don't think they're going to go after Lebanese infrastructure.
Speaker 2: But that is a possibility.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Israel Bureau chief Ethan Brunner reports Hesblah has said it's attacks on Israel will cease when the fighting in Gaza does.
Speaker 2: And turning to the markets now, Nathan, a big week for central banks. Investors going to be watching monetary polup decisions in Japan, the UK, and of course here in the UN where the FED begins its two day policy meeting tomorrow. Conference Board Chief account of as Dana Peterson says the FED will proceed cautiously despite calls with a central bank to cut this month.
Speaker 8: I don't think there's a ton of urgency. Yes, the bias is towards cutting, but they're also looking at everything. If you want to define a soft landing as getting inflation back towards target, not creating a recession, and also making sure you don't have massive layoffs, it's happening, but certainly you still have these areas of the economy that are putting upward pressure on inflation. But I think the Fed does not want to make a mistake. They want to feel confident that all the stars are aligning.
Speaker 2: Dana Peterson with the Conference Board says mortgage rates will drop once the Fed starts cutting, generating another cycle of demand that could potentially fuel shelter cost inflation.
Speaker 3: And John it's also a busy week for earnings, including several big tech names. We get a preview from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 1: Four of the so called Magnificent seven will report this week, specifically Grossoft, Amazon, Meta, and Apple. Sam Stovall is chief investment satategist at CFRA.
Speaker 9: Our feeling is that while there could be some stumbling, we are maintaining our overweight recommendation on tech, mainly because companies will soon be looking at twenty twenty six estimates and pretty much ignoring what they're hearing right now in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Other high profile tech names this week include Intel, Qualcom, and Armholdings. Among consumer names, we hear from McDonald's, Wendy's and Starbucks in New York, Charlie Pellett, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: And Thanks Charlie. And Europe. Heineken investors may be crying in their beer this morning. Shares are down seven percent. The dunch brewer took a nearly nine hundred and fifty million dollar charge for the decline and valuation of its stake in China's largest brewer. Heineken is also flagging weakness in the US that's clouding its prospects.
Speaker 3: And John the outlook for artificial intelligence is getting longer. At Apple, the iPhone maker is delaying the release of its latest AI features. More on that from Bloomberg's Doug Prisoner.
Speaker 10: The arrival will happen in October, roughly a month later than anticipated, and the delay will give Apple more time to fix bugs we are told to rollout of Apple Intelligence will be a part of software updates originally scheduled for September. Now, in spite of the delayed release, Apple Intelligence will be available to software developers for the first time for early testing as soon as this week. That strategy is atypical, but the stakes are higher than usual. Apple needs support from developers to ensure a smooth consumer release of its big bet On AI. In New York, I'm Doug Prisoner Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: And thanks Doug. Bitcoin more than two percent, hovering just under seventy thousand dollars over the weekend. Donald Trump said he'll expand a pro crypto agenda if he returns to the White House this afternoon.
Speaker 11: I'm laying out my plan to ensure that the United States will be the crypto capital of the planet and the big coined superpower of the world, and we'll get it done.
Speaker 2: Former President Trump making the comments at the Bitcoin twenty twenty four conference in Nashville, Tennessee. And that brings us to five a Weeves on Wall Street. I was going to look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr Michael, Good morning.
Speaker 12: Good morning John. In cities nationwide over the weekend, vigils were held in demonstrations for Sonya Massey. She was shot and killed in her Illinois home by a sheriff's deputy. Earlier this month, anti racist protesters called for systemic changes to policing in the US. This demonstrator spoke in New York City.
Speaker 5: Soya Massey was murdered by the people who are supposed to protect.
Speaker 12: And carefu protesters calling for a number of murder convictions for former Deputy Sean Grayson. Police in Rochester, New York, are investigating a shooting at a local park that left one person dad and six injured, one critically. Rochester Police Lieutenant Greg Bellow.
Speaker 13: At a Sunday afternoon where everybody's out barbecuing, having a good time. Design to pull out a gun for whatever reason, others it's dispute going on for you know, short term, long term, whatever it was. Somebody that pulled out a gun. Obviously that's incredibly unacceptable.
Speaker 12: Lieutenant Bellow says, no suspects are in custody at this time. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, appearing with military veterans in New York City, says the GOP policy Agenda DUB Project twenty twenty five would be disastrous for the veterans administration. Schumer says it creates chaos for veterans, especially those receiving health benefits. Schumer says, deep inside the plan or legislative attempts to slash veterans benefits, it's.
Speaker 14: Nine hundred pages of cuts, but it's hidden away in this page. Six hundred and something are all the plans to hurt our veterans.
Speaker 12: They don't want to brag about him. Schumer pledging to protect vet benefits under his continued leadership, including the Bipartisan Pack Act, which improves care for veterans exposed to toxins like burn pits and agent orange. The explosive Park fire in northern California has grown into the biggest fire in the state this year, burning up to five thousand acres per hour. Thousands of residents have been evacuated. This woman and her husband took shelter in their vehicle with their seven dogs.
Speaker 7: Whatever we had can be replaced, but.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have left the animals at all.
Speaker 12: The man allegedly responsible heads to court today. Fiber optics networks in six French departments were sabotaged overnight, but Paris was not impacted. As the Olympic Games continue. Francis Transport Minister says all trains are running on France's high speed train lines that were disrupted by sabotage. Last week, Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael barn This is Bloomberg, John.
Speaker 2: Michael, thank you, and that brings us to five eleven on Wall Street. Time for the Bloomberg Sports Update. To add for that, here's John Stashower.
Speaker 12: All Right, y'all.
Speaker 14: The narrative after the Mets Subway series sweep was the Mets were hot, the Yankees were not. The strip was flipped over the weekend two lopsided the loss for the Mets. The Yankees won twice in Boston, the quick start Labor Torres two runs single and the three run first hitting. The Yanks pulled away, scoring four times over the last three at bats. They beat the Red Sox eight to two. They scored twenty six runs in the series, and last night they got solid pitching from Carlos Radon. He's had now back to back strong outings after five losses in a row. The game was that the debut for the newest Yankee, Jazz Chisholm.
Speaker 15: Every kid dreams of being a Yankee. You know, his most famous team in baseball that Derek Jeter played on, You know what I mean, So everybody's favorite player was there.
Speaker 12: Youitter.
Speaker 15: Growing up, I had him as an owner, So I just feel like it was only right to come on and put on the uniform.
Speaker 14: Yanks quart chiosing from Miami, expect more trades before tomorrow's deadline.
Speaker 12: As for the Mets.
Speaker 14: Until the Petere lines a home run eight inning the city Field, they had been outscored by Atlanta over the weekend thirteen to nothing. The Braves at four home runs they won nine to two. Tennis in the spotlight today at the Paris Olympics at Roland Garros, it's Raffie on the dal versus Novak Djokovic in the second round. They usually meet in a Grand Stamp final. It's the sixtieth time they had faced off, with Djokovic ahead thirty to twenty nine. It might be the last match of na Dalla's career, though he hasn't said that officially. Andy Murray has he's hanging it up after the Olympics and playing doubles with England's Dan Evans. They advanced after facing five match points did any US Olympian Sunday have a better day than Kevin Durant didn't play any of the five exhibition games due to a calf injury. Katie scored twenty one first half points only missed one shot. The US opened up one ten to eighty four over Serbia. The next game is Wednesday against South Sudan, who nearly beat the US in tune up. The US women have their opening game today against Japan. John Stasha with Bloomberg Sports. John and Nathan.
Speaker 12: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Vice President Kamala Harris heads into the second week of her presidential campaign enjoying a huge surgeon fundraising and at the poll. She has raised two hundred million dollars already since declaring her campaign just over a week ago, and her favorability has jumped eight points in an ABC News poll. For more, We're joined by Bloomberg News Senior editor Bill Ferries. Bill, Good morning, it does seem as though the wind is at Vice President. Harris's back right now, and I guess the next big step is picking a running mate.
Speaker 5: That's right. She's had kind of an ideal first weeks as the new presidential candidate, and you know, you talked about the fundraising, you talked about the visibility she's gotten, and how that's played out in terms of her favorability. She is now, I think, increasingly focused on who her running mate will be, and the idea she has, I think is to try to make this pick before that virtual August seventh role call of delegates. So she has basically a little over a bit over a week to go before she settles on who she wants to be running alongside her.
Speaker 3: And in the meantime, as we've been watching the campaign roll on, it seems as though former President Trump and his running mate JD. Vance have had a bit of stumbles Vance with these past comments about childless cat ladies, that sort of thing. And I guess Harris has been testing out this new line that the Trump Dvance message is just playing weird. I where do you see the trajectory going now?
Speaker 5: Well, if you know, if you remember, the Trump campaign was really on quite a role ahead of Biden's withdrawal, they were starting to bring in a lot more money. There was a rally around Trump after that assassination attempt, and really even after that, Biden had that debate performance. So they were on the ups then, and it's the momentum has swung in the other direction. I expect we'll see a lot more ups and downs for both campaigns in the final basically one hundred days before the election. But yeah, with the change in the Democratic side, the Republicans have have to, you know, switch up their strategy. They're trying to figure out what works with their core and what helps them draw in new people. And they've been under some extra scrutiny now and so you know, you hear this, You hear this message coming from the Democratic side that they find the Trump vance ticket to be weird and saying some odd things. Listen, I think both sides are going to take a beating and have their high moments as we as we kind of grind ahead to November.
Speaker 3: So I guess the challenge then for the Harris campaign is to avoid any low moments, any stumbles, as she really has not much time to choose a running mate here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so she's got about seven eight days ahead of that roll call vote of the Democratic delegates, and then I think the next thing after that is she has committed to doing that early September, I think September tenth debate that had been scheduled between Trump and Biden. The Trump campaign saying that they want to They're not going to confirm anything until they know that she is the candidate, but that would be kind of a next key moment when those two Paris and Trump have to be on a stage together debating just less than two months before the election.
Speaker 16: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple's Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 16: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 16: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SIRIUSXMVI iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 2: I'm John Tucker. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg day Break