Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to It Happened Here, a podcast that played some role in the defeats of the Republicans reposed ban on using Medicaid to pay for trans healthcare. I am your host, Mia Wong, and with me are three of the people who helped make this whole thing possible. This is David Forbes, a journalist from the Ashual Blade and Medica's News. Mattie Castigan of the namesake Medicast News, and Mira Laisine of Free Radical and also Medicast News, and all of you welcome to the show. Congratulations on your defeats of the Republican Party and helping to save trans healthcare for unbelievably large numbers of people in this country.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's kind of like a sentence that's kind of hard to accept, and you know, in a lot of ways, it is really what we've been trying to say. It's been like a collective effort of everyone involved, especially the people at the grassroots, and you know, like I guess to give there's a little bit of context. So going back to May, there in the big beautiful bill that unfortunately did pass, originally Republicans included a ban on government funding for Medicaid for gender transition procedures, and originally just from miners in the House. Then right before they passed it through the House, they actually removed the miners claw, so it was applying for all adults on Medicaid who are trans. At this point, everyone started kind of freaking out, which is very reasonable because you know, there's over two hundred thousand trans people on Medicaid depending on numbers like hundred and seventy thousand depending on her us. And so what we found is that, you know, a lot of other sources have told us this that the bird rule, which is basically you know, parliamentary procedure in the Senate that only exists in the Senate because of the filibuster pretty much, is one way that we could kill this is what they told us back in May. And so that's something that we reported on and tried to take like you know, basically like a don't panic angle or don't panic yet at least you know like that there's a lot of ways to fight back against this, and we provided you know, templates for here's how you can email your senators and this is exactly what you should tell them. You should call them you could call specific people on specific committees and tell specific things to them. And you know, of course a lot of other organizations and people also chipped into this, you know, a for t te head of campaigns and whatnot. But I think you know, at the end of the day, what really pushed the needle was the people calling in and waking Democrats up to this issue. And basically what ended up happening is we both sent it. Widen basically argued to the parliamentarian that hey, this trans medicaid ban, it's not a budgetary matter, it's actually a policy matter. And the parliamentarian agreed and ruled that it was basically a sixty vote threshold and not a fifty vote threshold. So what that meant is that as long as all Democrats, or at least forty Democrats forty one Democrats were opposing this measure, it was basically guaranteed to be kicked out of the bill. And we did end up having enough Democrats basically ensure that the that provision didn't make it into law, even though unfortunately the bill did pass in to day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think one thing that's notable about this. I think one thing to emerge in our discussions, and while she's not in the podcast, I really want to thank Koreean Green for very invaluable like policy insight into some of this and some of the specific ways and weaknesses to go after politicians on this. And you know, certainly we were not alone in this. I think there were a lot of grassroots organizations as well, and I think kind of the approach that emerged and was successful, I think it's kind of important how it happened, because one, it identified a specific weakness who weren't just vaguely asking legislators to do something about this. And two I think it did something which traditionally definitely democratic politicians but even a lot of the gay ink to use a term popular among a lot of transactivists like big lobbying groups and establishment nonprofits, been loath to do, which is it got angry at democrats. It warned them that people were watching. It wasn't like, pretty please, you know, will you do something to stop this? And from two decades dealing with politicians, that's a much more effective way to approach. If you're just going to ask nicely, they'll ignore you. They'll ignore your entire demographic. If you're marginalized if they're afraid of you. However, if they're worried about their phone lines being shut down with pushback, people are getting angry at them, then they get worried and feel like they need to do something. So I think both with our article and with some of the other grassroots groups involved, it really kind of put the focus back on what people can do. But it did it by identifying a weakness and then pressing really hard on it. And I think that's kind of a break with how some of the very unsuccessful higher level tactics that have been used or not been used against transphobic legislation before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I think it's important to, you know, look at the changing terrain of this all because a lot of the sort of gain lobbying efforts were based on conditions that don't exist anymore. And you could argue how effective they were back in like you know, like twenty fifteen, right, and I still think there were more effective things that could have been done. Then there is no argument now like you can't just rely on sort of like access democratic politicians and being like, oh hey, we're this org. You want this thing to happen. And we saw this a lot. This is something that our policy analyst friend Karine Green, who have had in the show before, was talking about with like with the Biden administration was the way that all of these orgs sort of just fell in line behind the Biden administration, like fucking over trans people's healthcare in ways that no one ever really talked about, and that kind of access model got flipped, you know, whatever they were trying to do before, and you can ar you know, you can have arguments about like what they thought they were doing. At this point, it's just like no, like you're not existing to like protect queer people. You're existing to protect the Democrats from queer people.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and and and the situation we're in now is one where and there was some very very scary reporting coming out of the Democrats were like it wasn't clear if they were actually going to try to whip the votes together, like to actually vote against this stuff. And so like we're at a point where regardless of whatever you would have supported before, and again like I think I think they were wrong before, but like now no, you had this is the only way to do this shit, Like there's no other mechanism.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this has been something I've especially noticed in like reporting on this terms. Myself and Matty, we both co reported on the initial story breaking the the fact that the Medicaid bandage going in there. Mattie especially did all the stuff with the birds role. When we initially started working in the story, it was just a small tip we had that there was going to be something big coming in the next funding bill, and I can definitely speak that at the time, Democrats, lobbyists and so forth, they were just very like business as usual, right, They were just even knowing that a lot of this was kind of had the chance of emerging, and that there was going to be a lot of bad stuff emerging. A lot of it was still like trying to use these whole tactics Streme way back when to just act like everything is still as if it's you know, twenty fifteen, twenty fourteen, and once everything started to unferral and the medicaidvand became added in to the bill itself. Witnessing it all from just a reporting perspective with like it felt like watching them all go into panic mode and yet at the same time be like trying to find ways to kind of push us to the side. Yeah, and and of course, like god so incredibly thankfully were able to play any type of role in getting this done. Like so it's becomon narrative among so many for lack of better phrasing, proponents of gay ink, proponents of the status quo, proponents of just you know, your social democracy types, that the way forward is to be nice, to beg and plead for our rights, so hopefull they give us it if we ask really, really nicely and we beg in clead and we say thank you and we don't be too rude or else we'll earn it and we'll deserve what a will give. You know, It's like what ultimate need became. The final stroll was like we sent out a push for every single just reader follower, every single listener podcast like everyone at home who just bread this around. Put pressure on the politicians, made it clear the wasn't acceptable, made it clear that no, they can't just ignore us and act like we don't exist, and that no, they can't just wash their hands away and pretend like this is all fine, and that their records came that No, it's this is something that matters. This is something that has to be thought, and it really boiled down to just the endtense like pressure everyone put publicly like yeah, And I think it is just a very ultimate testing to how the true power in any political system lies not with just a handful of elected NEPO babies that end up getting into office, but with the regular people who make their voice heard, who band together and aren't afraid to say, hey, this shit is fucked up, we need to do something about it.
Speaker 4: You are mentioning, how like whatever debate about the gag approach before, it's it's not just dead now it's catastrophically failed. I honestly think that's kind of beyond debate at this point. But what one thing that I think kind of this shows is that when you're dealing with politicians, if all you have is hey, pretty please be nice to us, but earlier you not just can you be ignored, but like if they go no, what else do you have then? If you don't have some other kind of leverage? And one thing I've seen consistently local, state, and federal levels is the odds are a lot better if people are angry and the politicians are afraid. So I think living that that's the real vantage the grassroots have, you know, stop caring about if politicians are your friends or really care about us, because generally the answer is they don't. None of them are our friends, and more focus on what can you and your communities, your friends, the larger networks you're part of, do to make their lives miserable until the part of the sascore you're trying to fight becomes unsustainable for them too.
Speaker 3: What I heard from people on the hill or people close to people on the Hill is basically that the whole bird rule maneuver. For this specific provision, there was you know, definitely whispers of it, you know, especially among Lompias and maybe some staffers. But until it was being publicly advocated for this specific tool to be used by constituents towards senators Democratic senators specifically, it wasn't really like hugely in consideration or like that wasn't something they were planning to do in a very strong way, Like maybe it would have happened eventually, But it definitely does seem like the constituent pressure specifically did help kind of make Democrats realize that hey, we're watching, you're watching you do like whether you're invoking these parliamentary procedures that you aren't supposed to know about. Like you're not supposed to know about this stuff, right, And it's like it's really obscure stuff that no one knows about except like super autistic paulicy Neer. It's like like me and a current probably, but yeah, and this kind of stuff is really what turns the needles. And like you can look at the other side too, right, Like, you know, there are extremely effective lobbies in Congress you can look at you can look at the lobby that literally got this provision into the bill. They sent a letter to Speaker Johnson saying, hey, you should expand this from miners only to adults because we think this will actually help it survive the bird rule better. And this was a public letter, right, And you know you might say, oh, well, that's not a big deal, right, it's a letter. Right, But how many gay rights organizations released a letter to Democrats saying they should invoke the bird rule. I'm not aware of any, like.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's the key part of this is that, yes, eventually, some of those groups did start belatedly moving against this. Yes, eventually it's progi into a second some politicians did in various ways start moving against this. But I think it's important not to get kind of the cart before the horse. That came after the grassroots pressure, came after weeks of people getting angry at them, blowing up their phones, very public criticism, all the things that I think we're told a lot of the time by liberals and Democrats we're not supposed to do, you know, be nice or you know, your concerns won't be heard. Well, it turns out is that the Isaac alas is the case. And you mentioned that those conservative lobbyists people know, you know, I don't think it's always a rule that the tactics or enemy can be adopted for various reasons. But the NRA and all of these terrible groups don't go into Congress going, hey, please be nice to us. They go in going do this or we're going to make your life hell yeah. And if you're if this is a terrain people are going to fight on, that's how you have to fight as far as because that's what moves politicians at every level is it's oh my god, I do not want this group angry at me.
Speaker 5: And it's one thing I want to add to is since the bird rules and soil in the band was taken out. There has emerged a common narrative online. It's not really one specific person doing this, it's just kind of something that's kind of collectively emerged in that claiming that the credit lies with politicians, with lobbyists, with staffers, with all these anonymous people behind closed doors who are supposedly the ones that actually did the work, and no one else matters. I want to strongly emphasize that that is not only not true, but dangerous rhetoric.
Speaker 4: It's propaganda.
Speaker 5: It's propaganda. Yes, it's an attempt to reinforce the role that the state has in subjugating everyone, to reinforce the fact that, oh no, the way things are is perfect. You can trust all these leaders to protect you when you can't. They are the reason we got in this mess. The gay en tactics are the things that have failed and led to this in the first place. Liberals have plenty of opportunities prevent this and they didn't. And ultimately, the reason that this narrative spreads is because, at the end of the day, gay yank is called back for a reason because well, yes, their interests happen to align on the realm of queer rights because they themselves are queer. At the end of the day, they are still representing the upper class, and their primary interests are still going to be with protecting the upper class and protecting the role they have in subjugating the lower class and subjugating marginalized people who are not in their economic class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is most trans people, like all of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 4: Like really important because I don't think the intersections of queerness and definitely not transists in class get talked about nearly enough. Yeah, which is is that queer and transy are overwhelmingly working class demographics. Yep, like the legislators you know, like Sara McBride, but also like the people running gang crimanizations are not just like not generally representative of our wider communities in a lot of ways. They also just have had incredibly different lives almost always, with some exceptions, they've been part of the gentry their entire lives, and most queer trans people, especially trans people, are as far from the gentry as you get. So that does create like this massive gulf. But also I think it's one reason these groups are so out of touch. But also I think it does. You know, if we put the power back on ourselves, if we realize that this kind of grassroots anger is much more representative of where queer and trans people are, If this willingness to fight directly in whatever tactics people choose is much more like in keeping with like queer culture and tradition and history, then I think there's a lot of power there. And I think this is an example of successfully wielding that. I think Mirror was correct about this propaganda that's kind of been spreading in the wake, and it was particularly I think egregious because it specifically like tried to credit Sarah McBride, who had just come off a really obnoxious interview with The New York Times where she was literally against all the aggressive trans rights, and then after the band finally got killed, this you know, various sources and honestly, I don't know anyone hearing this stuff, and whatever capacities the journalist act is, whatever, I think it's just professionally good to be more skeptical when these kind of convenient narratives emerge. But kind of embers, Oh, behind the scenes, she'd been doing so much. Yeah, sure, in public, she'd been you know, very either low key or refusing defend trains rights at all, even justifying some of the narratives of our enemies. But sure she was doing all this behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: She refused to fucking do anything when they banned trans people from fucking bathrooms in DC.
Speaker 5: Yes, like in Capitol him, wouldn't even defend her own staffers, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: So like it's worth being skeptical to claim that she was doing so much behind the scenes. However, you know if she was prompted in the last week of a multi week effort to suddenly start taking some action based on anger. Great part of the point of these strategies is to prompt people who don't want to act into feeling like they're forced to act. But I think in twenty years of covering politics at various levels, if politicians don't like something, you will know. If they support something, you will know they will be very loud and very public, because the public platform is one of the biggest powers they have, as well as doing whatever behind the scenes. If they're quiet about something or even seem opposite to especially if it involves a group on the front lines like trans communities, and then later on they try to kind of take back credit of saying, oh, look, you know, we were doing so much behind the scenes that is pretty universally attacked to commit to demobilize people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I want to note that the point of us saying this is not to say that you know, Sarah McBride or you know Saffers or other people didn't do anything. Like, of course they did stuff right like, they voted, they were voting. Note, they probably made some phone calls and stuff, right, But what we're saying is like, Okay, they basically did the bare minimum of what they're supposed to do, right like, and that was only after a huge pressure campaign from the grassroots and from people who they would literally not be even in office without. Like I did the math in an article way back in that last November, and there's like exit polls showing that like eighty six percent of LGBTQ people voted for Democrats last year. That's like a crazy margin. That's like it's up there with you know, black voters and LGBTQ people are like the biggest bass of the Democratic Party, right Like, they would have lost three or four more Senate seats they it would have been like a fifty six or fifty seven seat chamber if it were not for literally the people that are advocating for this healthcare. And it's it's so absurd that, like Sarah McBride, what she did was, if we assume everything that's been said is true about this is what she's done is basically she got Democrats to not vote to take away the healthcare of two hundred thousand trans people, which is like, why was that even a qu question like this? This is the actual story that came out of this. In my opinion that was bigger is that this was ever in question that there might be like seven or eight Democrats who would vote to ban Medicaid from two hundred three hundred thousand trans people, like and the fact that we're supposed to like give them a huge applause for not doing that is is kind of obscene to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the readiness to thank politicians kind of cuts against the grassroots anger and organizing that works.
Speaker 2: So well here.
Speaker 4: Yep, because you don't want them. Actually, I think it's cerally a good rule not to thank politicians because what you want to constantly keep them in. If that's the terrain you're going to fight on is they need to feel like they're on thin ice. They need to worry their staff needs to worry about Okay, we got to keep this out of the bill, because holy hell, you do not want those queers mad at you. That's where you want to get closer to if putting pressure on politicians is is what needs to happen, And so buying these narratives thanking them, that takes the pressure off.
Speaker 5: Don't ever do that, you know, yes, and.
Speaker 4: So I think it's it's kind of important. And you know, to quote the internet masterpiece of old drill tweet like you do underneath circumstances.
Speaker 5: Have to hand it to them.
Speaker 4: At best, they acted late, grudgingly after they faced a ton of anger that resulted and was help amplified by a ton of work from bluntly like working class trans people and working class for your people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I would argue that what Representative McBride did specifically, even assuming that it did like help us in the short term with this bill, the way that she's been kind of talking about this internally and in the New York Times interview is actually extremely dangerous for trans people because, like believe it or not, they're not going to stop with this bill. They're going to do it again. They're going to do it again, probably in budget bills or another reconciliation bill. And at some point it's going to come down to the wire where Democrats will have to publicly defend the right of trans people to have healthcare and to be alive and to exist. That's that's going to happen at some point. And what McBride has been telling everyone, what she's been telling as her client on New York Times, what she was telling Democrats behind the scenes, according to the notice article, is that you can't talk about these issues. You have to be really quiet. You just have to do it behind the scenes because it's too hot topic of an issue. You know, you don't want to accidentally, like I don't know, show the world that trans people might actually deserve to exist. It doesn't it doesn't even make sense. I think they just it doesn't. They just like feel gross arguing it, like personally like they don't there's no political like, there's no like good political calcitalists. They just feel gross talking about trans people. Is my opinion that this is why they don't want to do it. There's it's like it's bad for them politically. They will lose votes, they will like lose political power. They just like hate us. Basically, I don't know.
Speaker 5: We should never be nice or kind or thank politicians like both Maddie and David had said they are not our friends. Like there is a popular approach that I think a lot of people end up having towards these kind of quote unquote leaders that they are somehow these like mythical faviors of everyone, that they're all leading these nonprofits, they're leading these companies, these governments save us. They are not our friends. They do not give a shit about us. You would be surprised to things I've heard behind closed doors that they have said they are not your friends. They hate every single fucking poor person. They will never say that bocally, but they.
Speaker 4: Hate us, especially the transplants.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah. And it's like us to be subservient to them until the day we fucking die, because it's all about consolidating their own power. And the kind of corn I'm getting at here is kill the idol in your head. You should never have an idol, Like, there is no person worth idolizing, not only not Dayank, not even only not anyone in this call, this podcast. Now, no one at all should be idolized, because doing that is placing all the power in the hands of people you don't know, in the hands of people who are just as human as anyone else. And even if they're very good, people who do good things are fundamentally capable of fucking up and doing bad. And if you idolize someone, you end up condoning everything they do, whether you even stay it or otherwise. It comes with the territory. Fundamentally, you should not rely on other people to save you. You should rely on you and your community. You need to fucking work with your community to bring about the outcomes you want. And I mean you, the listener, like you specifically, Yes, you need to work with your community to bring about what you need.
Speaker 4: I think that's that's kind of the message that should emerge from this is no one in Washington, organization and politician are the ones of the power here.
Speaker 5: You are.
Speaker 4: You and your friends are you and your community are And I know we've said that a little bit before, but it's worth re emphasizing how much people can do when they get together and decide to do something about these issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's a really good note to end on. However, come up before we do that very exciting news. Do you all want to introduce introduce the new news network.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, we have huge news to announce that's related to the news website that we used to write this article about the bird Roll, formerly known as Maddicast News will now be known as trans News Network. And we're basically relaunching completely. We're switching up our business models from technically was a for profit before, but now it's going to be part of fiscally sponsored nonprofit of community Partners. And we're also moving off subset to beehive. And so, you know, as Mirat and David were saying earlier, like we don't want you to rely on us to stay you like it's kind of like a team effort, right, Like, we do have a part to play. Will help will help you give you information, but we also could use help from you. We could use help from the listener, especially people who do have you know, some people have more time, some people have more resources or money. And one thing that we are looking to do with our relaunch is to fundraise so we can basically, you know, ensure that basically our journalists, like you know, Mirah and David have the financial stability they need to continue making journalism like this. And so we're launching with a fundraiser and we're gonna we'll have a link, I guess with the podcast description and there will be like you know, you can get a free gift if you donate a certain amount. That's a huge way to help. But as well, you know, you also need to actually listen to the things that people in your community to say, like what are the things people in your community are saying that can help? What are other ways that you can contribute back to save yourselves, basically because we're all in this together.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I think also one of the reasons I'm really excited about the trans News Network and the transition as it were, to the trans News Net it is that I think our collective experiences and our experience with this fight as well, have shown that there is a real need for hard hitting, powerful, unrepentantly radical and trans journalism, trans journalism that actually gets trans communities and proceeds kind of to take the fight from there. And so that's that is badly needed. And I think we are from our own experiences and from kind of what we've all built working together, like able to be part of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and just to add one thing, because I know how many trans people artistic and need to hear this about out. I'm one of them. This is explosively a worker's co op. We are doing this radical from the ground up. Everyone gets eqal say this is a community thing. This is not some light Oh you know, we're doing this. But then there's a nice CEO who makes five hundred K. No, this is the money is going to the journalists who need it. Is the group of us basically deciding, hey, we need to fucking keep doing this work. We want to, we need to support, we need help. Yeah, and we're joining the bandwagon of all these news outlets doing workers co ops because that's the only way you can fucking make money in this industry nowadays.
Speaker 4: It's also the fairest and best way to do it.
Speaker 5: Yep. It is. It's it's objectively the best and most ethical way to do this under the healthscape of capitalism. Yep.
Speaker 3: And uh Tamira's plan and I'm gonna we went on this podcast earlier this year to talk about trans journalism and you might want to listen to that as well if you're curious on like just the struggles that a lot of us have dealt with. And number one is, you know, the material need for money basically, and I'm going to say what I said in that episode again, which is that one hundred dollars for some people, like you know, let's say a working class transferson is very different compared to one hundred dollars for people in other social classes. You know, maybe someone in tech or something like, maybe you'll get a dinner at the one hundred dollars and it's not a big deal to you, right, it could be life changing for someone else who's literally like spending their life creating news to help trans people like you know, this article that we wrote, it wasn't a huge amount of money that that took to create that. But at the same time, we don't have a lot of money to go around, like it's it's being basically a small number of people. We have a we have a good number of like paid subscribers to but really in order to keep expanding the way we want to, we really need more money. And it's going to be so huge to trans people everywhere.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so if someone has money and it's interested in supporting trans journalism. That is all the things we've just talked about and I think makes a real difference. Yeah, please sign up as a paid subscriber. Donate to the fundraiser. Every single dollar of that we will put to use.
Speaker 5: Yeap.
Speaker 3: Our first goal is basically to hire one of our journalists as a part time W two employee, which should be literally life changing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, And when we said this in the last episode, and we're going to say it again, working class trans journalism can exist if you support it. And every single dollar that you sent to a working class trans journalist is going one hundred times further that it's going for any other thing you can do to, like, like, it's going so much further that it is giving it to like fucking the Human Rights Committee or whatever the fuck, Like wait, what is what's the actual name with the organ human Rights Campampa? Yeah, yeah, you resume that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, did I mention it's tax seductible, So.
Speaker 4: Got to throw that in there.
Speaker 3: If you item measure deductions, if you give like one hundred dollars to us, then you get to pay like, you know, whatever like thirty dollars less goes to the federal government, which means slightly less money for Ice and Israel. That's how I see it anyway.
Speaker 5: Okay, please, Dear God, I'm tired of living off my measly savings.
Speaker 3: Dear God, please, Yeah, you can tell her really trying to sell this well.
Speaker 4: And also I think like Yo Mirror and myself both do other trans journalism work. I'm part of the editor at the Ashville Blade, which is a local trans journalist co op. And you know, we've seen how far that goes, so so yeah, like the more support for trans journalism, period, trans News Network, the Free Radical Asheville Blade, some of the other projects out there, the better.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: And this has been It could Happen here, support support trans journalism, and we keep fighting the good fight.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.