Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating Wild Broke. I'm your host, Coleen Wit and today we have a very special guest. I was super excited the second the second I heard your name. I was like, Yo, everybody like whatever day he wants all crew, We're just making it happen around your date. So today we have special guests Mario in the building.
Speaker 2: What's up? What's up? Mario?
Speaker 1: You don't need a bio or an explanation. Like you hear the name Mario, you already know who it is.
Speaker 2: Mario. Yes, I'm excited about this.
Speaker 1: So what are you making us eat today on Eating wildber.
Speaker 3: Look, usually this is something you would eat after your a big meal, your dinner or whatever.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to do something a little different. I've seen some of your shows, which I love your show by the way, thank it's a very moving show, is very raw. I love that. Today let me give you that sucker tuning up. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I've never even heard of socket to me, and it's really spelled socket to me, Yeah crazy, and it's I never heard of it. And then I was like the second I saw socket to me, Cake, I said, huh and I said, let me google this. Yeah, and it does exist, guys, it is.
Speaker 2: It is Google. It's a real thing.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't know about it. In fact, I was a kid when my grandmother used to make it. And the fondest memories I have of soccer to me, cake is fighting with my cousins over who's going to get the bowl that had the last bit of battery.
Speaker 2: Okay, and these right here, yes.
Speaker 3: Like these, these could get you a black eye mouth because the way she used to mix the battery and get the whole it's just for so I don't know if it's gonna turn like that today. But I don't have her little special lists, she said.
Speaker 2: But she did. She tell me some seat why you.
Speaker 1: Know, just so you know a little side story, because I am familiar with the blender tools. We all licked them in our household too, especially don't let like chocolate chip cookie though, don't forget it. But I saw on these day actually have the new ones where it's like not metal, it's like flat, so you can really get a good lick, you can really, And we so this right here, these actually used to be Remember the old was that with just the lastick and it's rubber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we used to go in there and we used to go crazy.
Speaker 3: So anyway, soccer tomic cake is like and she used to make upside down pineapple cake, but that's a more popular, right, But this is like, was my favorite dessert that she would make. So I figured I would share here today since the show is so raw and open.
Speaker 1: And then, yeah, so what are the ingredients for the cake?
Speaker 2: Ingredients?
Speaker 3: We all know if we got the cake batter here, we have eggs oil, sugar sold cream.
Speaker 2: That's kind of like, why are you putting sour cream? And I was like, what I said, the same thing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, it's crazy chemistry, some water, and over here we have some cinnamons and pecans, some it's figgas butter, and then we're going to.
Speaker 1: Be a milkyke mixed. So side note, you guys don't know. You guys weren't here obviously, but every time Mario was looking at the cinnamon, he was like questioning it a little bit, and I was trying to get I was trying to get him to lick it.
Speaker 3: I was like, cinnamon mixed up with and it's crazy because this is the brow sugar.
Speaker 2: Obviously, is bigger grains. I had to smell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, all right, so let's get to making. So I'm gonna be your helper. So if you want, we can either walk you through your wars, because I see you have two different bowls.
Speaker 3: So you're going to do that bowl over there, okay, and I'm gonna do this, then you're going to do.
Speaker 2: It's not really any specific order. You just want to make. The The most important thing is once you get the better, everything in the better is that you beat it up. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: As long as you can okay, as long as you can like well, as long as it's like really smooth.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't see too many bubbles and like you know what I'm saying. So I'm really bad at cracking eggs. Ain't gonna lie to you.
Speaker 1: I cracked.
Speaker 2: But if you want you want to do that, I'm gonna trying to try to hurry.
Speaker 1: Bad at cracking an egg. I'm gonna tell you a secret if you If you mess up, I'll tell you what I think the secret is to crack in an egg.
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell you before so they won't waste no eggs?
Speaker 1: No, I want to see you doing all right?
Speaker 2: Cool, that's okay, it's perfect. A wait, do you have to put it in here? All right, I'm resting.
Speaker 1: Awesome that you seem like a g Okay, let's see your next crack.
Speaker 2: Let's see if it was just a good one.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're good, no egg shell so far.
Speaker 2: Probably because I'm not hesitating. I'm just going for it.
Speaker 1: Yo, you're you're okay, you may be a professional.
Speaker 2: Wait what's that right there?
Speaker 1: That's a baby on pine?
Speaker 2: Where is that that little black piece?
Speaker 1: It's fine, it's just it's just we'll survive.
Speaker 2: Let's go for it, all right. Cool that you did it.
Speaker 1: Fantastic job cracking eggs. Just for you guys listening, My secrets of cracking an egg is exactly how he did it. The harder you crack it, the better it cracks.
Speaker 3: It was telepathy for sure, because I usually don't go like that just made me crazy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we got the eggs over the oil. Now, okay, all right, this is this.
Speaker 3: Is already like we already put the right the measurements and we ain't just guessing, and then we got the white sugar.
Speaker 2: But it's crazy because like most people who can cook that. I know. They don't even do measurements. They go off of in state. That's how you go.
Speaker 1: But I think that's most black people though. Right, Okay, we got no you may there's a rubber one on the other side. So now we got the sour cream. Now I've never seen.
Speaker 2: I used to love looking at this what we used to crazy?
Speaker 1: Now I have never seen sour cream going a cake. So when I heard the ingredients, I t.
Speaker 2: Of what the sour cream will be used for? Is it compted consistency?
Speaker 1: Is exporter textra makes it like all moist and nice? Okay, okay, trust me. I did research because I was like, socker to me. Then I called some friends, like sour cream and cake, you should they didn't make a mistake, and she's like, no, girl, it makes it all so nice.
Speaker 2: Okay. Being a chef probably really makes you understand chemistry better.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm going to go on this side now.
Speaker 2: Yeah it sure, wait, I gotta put this water in here for oh yeah water?
Speaker 1: All right, So there's all the ingredients for the sucking to me cake. Now before Mario starts blending and us having to send you to uh, it's a commercial because no listener is gonna want to hear that blend. So now I'm gonna to do so Soccer to me, has it is interesting because what I had noticed you can explain this, but it has like pecans.
Speaker 2: And cinnamon, got pecan cinnamon inside. So what you get with it?
Speaker 3: You get this sweet, doughey yet still crunchy texture when you write into it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I personally like to eat mine and drink it with almond milk, which is why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're both we're both drinking almond milk.
Speaker 3: But it's warm and it's it's amazing. You want to eat it warm. You can eat it cold, but you definitely want to eat it warm. Yes, just put the Yeah, put.
Speaker 1: The cinnamon right, So cinnamon in the cake mix. We have some brown sugar in the cake mix. We have pecans in the cake and then we got.
Speaker 2: To mix it.
Speaker 1: Right, yet do we really put this to sugar? Okay, we're gonna do it.
Speaker 2: I'm following you.
Speaker 3: That's again, that's the helps the Okay, we mix it. And so what happens is we're gonna mix this first. Okay, we're gonna put that inside.
Speaker 1: Mario, Well, just finished blending the cake mix. It's officially done, and now I made the topic. Well if this isn't the top, and this is like the side of the.
Speaker 2: Cake in between the cake.
Speaker 3: I can't remember exactly how that part works because I was always waiting.
Speaker 2: For the batter, the batter booth.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's get our little pants. I think I did have butter, but I don't have the We'll just do a kind of ghetto spread it over. I melted it on the oven by accident, so we're gonna spread it. We got our little pants. I'm so excited to to try the cake. But I'm also so excited to hear Mario being broke at some point and Mario being the superstar that we know.
Speaker 3: All right, cool, let me do this real quick because it was a little scalpy in there. Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: We got it, all right, So here we go. We pour the battering. Can we test it? Can we? Are we allowed to lick the little sticks?
Speaker 2: This is yours like an ice cream. It's like your little cake.
Speaker 1: Col Yes, here we go, chairs here all right, let's see.
Speaker 2: See this is why we used to go crazy. You say, you get it, you get it.
Speaker 1: I have had a siblings. Okay, this is what we do siblings.
Speaker 3: I got four sisters and three brothers. But that's on my father's side. But I did grow up with most of my ass and uncles and all my little cousins. It was like eighteen of us living in the house.
Speaker 1: I ate this.
Speaker 2: This isn't deserved by itself.
Speaker 1: Crazy the better it is fantastic. All right, So are you getting in it?
Speaker 2: I like it?
Speaker 1: I like I like how you go bring Okay, so pour your some. I guess you're pouring some of it into like half of the batter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta fill it up halfway. Oh wow, there you go.
Speaker 3: We make that ship it and we left this battery here so that we can just we can see the part of the experience. Like, yes, when I was a kid, like we would literally argue over who was going to get the batter, right, yeah, because it's like.
Speaker 1: Well while we while we tried this batter. I want to know a little bit more about you.
Speaker 2: What do you what do you want to know? Where would you? Like?
Speaker 1: I want the story to start all with the batter, So what was going on at the time, like when you were fighting over cake batter? Like who were you living with I want to know the whole backstory.
Speaker 2: Well, we moved around quite a few times. When I was younger. We grew up in Emison Village. What state is that, I said, West Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Okay, my mother was pregnant with me. She lived closer to the projects, and then she moved around a lot. And then when I was about I would say, ages like four to five, I was living with my grandmother. There was like eighteen of us living in a water household between the eighties and like six and.
Speaker 2: Ten years old.
Speaker 1: Was your mom a single mom?
Speaker 2: Yeah? She was. She was.
Speaker 3: I saw my dad like once when I was younger, and then as I guess time went on, it just got more dissing than this.
Speaker 2: But we're cloling down, But damn, mama was a singlema.
Speaker 3: But I was like, we had one of those families where everybody was raised by everybody, you know, so and so, whoever was at the house was who's watching the kids.
Speaker 2: But we had a lot of freedom.
Speaker 3: As kids because our parents were all like this is we're talking about the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: Right, So our parents.
Speaker 3: Were all like living their lives and kind of just in the streets. Really, it was just it wasn't It wasn't something that we knew to be abnormal. Yeah, to be over your friend's house and your parents not know where you are, or to be out until ten eleven and no one's calling to see where you are.
Speaker 1: So was your family primarily all in that city?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, okay, yes.
Speaker 1: Because I know, like for me, like I have family in you know, Chicago, Kelly, I'm from New York, but like you know, different, So we didn't grow up like a lot of people in one house. But you're saying like eighteen people were in a house.
Speaker 2: And it's like it, but it was. It was like a revolving door.
Speaker 3: Because again, I mean, I guess the closest thing I could say is like you remember that scene to Minnie Society when came first wake up in the house and the party going on, the music's play.
Speaker 2: That's like what I was, like, Saint God out it was normal? Wow, I feel me So Yeah.
Speaker 1: So just to fashion, you started in the industry at what age.
Speaker 3: I was, Well, I would say I started at over You know, my first concert was in my liberal you know what I'm saying, with my grandmother and my aunts and my uncles and I was a kid that was always singing everybody's birthday parties, right, So my mother would make once she saw at four years old that I had a talent or passion for music, she kept music around me. She brought me this mic that tuned into the radio when I was around four or five Christmas, and I literally would wake up every morning and miss Max Socks and me singing and tuning into the radio, like trying to mimic everything. That's how it became I think of good singing because I would try to mimic everything I heard, from boys, some men, to you know Joe, to the older music. My grandmother used to play Whitney Houston, anything that had melody to it.
Speaker 2: I would try to sing.
Speaker 1: So your family in totality, like did they embrace it? And were you the only singer in the family or were there like other symbls like well, I could try and compete.
Speaker 3: I guess my mother was right. She played a piano and she also just had a great ear form. She also sang. On my father's side, he sang, but at the time I didn't know that, and I think it was just my family just had a lot of soul and I went to church and was singing church every Sunday from the ages of eight until I moved away from Baltimore. So I had a lot of soul around me. I had a lot of soulful people. I mean, my grandmother cooked a lot. Like it was just very much. So like throughout the week, you know, family members like coming over, like everybody want to hear me sing.
Speaker 2: If it was a birthday, I'm singing at the birthday party. Okay.
Speaker 3: So it became a thing where I got my confidence because of my family, and my support came from there.
Speaker 2: My first talent show was.
Speaker 3: Elementary school and we were in a group and we sung I want to say, it was standard ray or I Make Love to You by Boys Cemen. And after that performance was a day I knew that I wanted to do music.
Speaker 1: Was that because of the crowd's reaction or what that was? That?
Speaker 2: Right? It was the crowd's reaction.
Speaker 3: But as a kid, like you're going to school with kids that like don't like you, you know what a kid, you go through a lot all of these things where it's like you have a weird you know, relationships with each other socially.
Speaker 2: And then I do that and it's like everybody likes you.
Speaker 1: Were you kind of bullied before, but it was just it was just like everyone.
Speaker 2: I was never really bullied. I was.
Speaker 3: I got in a lot of fights, but I wasn't bullied as a kid. I was just like I mean, I grew up in a household where we was always fighting with each other.
Speaker 2: Clearly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my older cousins like we would like come on, like you know what I'm saying, Like they was beating us up, and we was always so it was outside.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right, we're ready.
Speaker 1: But you do the talent show and you see a shift in your classmates right away? Or do you just see a shift at the show.
Speaker 3: I see a shift as everybody teachers, classmates, the whole school, Okay, Right. As a kid, I was so I was very exposed to so much, so I knew how to read human behavior at a young age. So I saw the shift. And as a kid, you're thinking about a better life, like or like you're thinking about how.
Speaker 2: To be the coolest in the school.
Speaker 3: So it's like it automatically shot me from being this little fat, chubby kid who could.
Speaker 2: Say I was a fat kid.
Speaker 1: I would never think that.
Speaker 2: This battle I'll say that, celebrate them, I would Shelby kid like she can pull it up in kid, I didn't know that, you know what I'm saying. So like as a fam you blow the roof off, go crazy, Okay.
Speaker 3: And then my grandmother was right there in the first A lot of it was seeing her, her excitement and happiness for me, you know what I'm saying, Like having heard there and my mom named there, like they were like my biggest supporters as a kid, and like helping me instore that confidence. Okay, Okay, So by the time I got to talent shows. I'm gonna tell you about this more later when we get to like the age of like eleven, But like by the time I got there, I had.
Speaker 2: A lot a lot of confidence in myself that I didn't had.
Speaker 1: Before by the time because because of all the talented.
Speaker 3: Party and the talent the family event like those, Because singing in front of your family is hard. Yeah, Like singing in front of people who you love and know is like sometimes more difficult than singing in front of strangers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was a kid, I was fun. Fact, nobody's gonna really know this except for my family. But my family we had like a family band, someone like the Jackson's. My mom was like worse than Joe Jackson, except first she didn't get the Michael Jackson results right. Anyways, one of the things I remember is the damn where was I going with this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: One of the things I realized as a childhood performer was that it was always harder for me to perform in front of one person. But if I had like a hundred people or two hundred people, five hundred people, a thousand killed it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But like if you put one person in front of me, couldn't do it. And so so I think it's interesting that you saying that in front of your family.
Speaker 3: You were cool in front of my family. Now I was saying in front of my family at one point it was like nerve wrecking to like like grow knowing that I had to get right, but singing that on the spot at birthday parties and doing that type. So now come on in here and when they're playing and doing pillow fighting, little outside having a rock fight, and then you get called in to sing a heavy birth and you know, so it's like those types of things help to build my coffee.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see what you're saying, Okay, so you go from being on the spot now your groom. You're slowly morphing into the superstar because you start. The reason why I keep bringing this up is because you were so young when you started, and I want to see like how it happened, Like what exactly happened, and how that translate.
Speaker 3: Milestones in my younger life that led to being seen by the right people. The molestone as what we're talking about before the elementary school talent show. That talent show was a milestone because the first time that it went from everybody in my family knowing this kid has talent, to my peers and the school I went to every day, people now knowing like, oh, you know, just this is not just a talent show.
Speaker 2: We got dressed. I was in a group. We got dressed for guys.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact, I was in the group with Monique Sudden. Monique from Baltimore, the comedian Wow put us because we used to live down the street. She put us in a group and we rehearsed in her basement everything and.
Speaker 1: Was Monique as big as she was at the at the time.
Speaker 3: Wow, She wasn't unique yet, sure she was on her like she And so that was a milestone because it was now like, oh, oh, we gotta put this, we gotta get help, we gotta you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So then after that.
Speaker 3: I think I wanna said it was like elementary school, old year, elementary school.
Speaker 2: I was like like five to ten, right, I don't know or whatever.
Speaker 3: Anyway that age and from that point on it became more of like a duty in the job because now it's like, okay, practicing, well, I got out of the group I'm talking about. Like with my mom, it was like, this is it. This is the thing that's going to keep my baby from turning into our other you know, her cousins and jail and streets and six or seven.
Speaker 1: Your mom in that decision worse.
Speaker 3: She told me, Okay, she said she knew she had to do that because she saw she knew growing up in Bottomore. It it's because of my family history. It was only nobody really did any I was. I'm the first to like really leave the city and do something amazing with this life.
Speaker 2: Life.
Speaker 3: Life life changes, like you know generationally, you know. So my mother was actually a she had a scholarship playing tennis in Kaytonsville, and she had an accident.
Speaker 2: And so it was at the time, and so she just wanted to see me do great things. And I think that music.
Speaker 3: When she saw that, it was like, okay, so what the that is? You know, practicing talent shows? Oh you're only ten, but you're.
Speaker 2: You're doing a talent show with sixteen and seventeen year olds. I don't care you're gonna do it. I don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: Like the other time, it smells like cake, smells like so your mom like, and she she also like provided a level of discipline and structure to your career.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's forehead, all.
Speaker 1: Right, But did you do you do it the chicken and egg? Did your mom come to you and be like, Okay, you're talented and we're gonna pour all this or were you like, Mom, I really think I can do this? And then she poured it into you.
Speaker 2: Such a great question. And soon as you asked me that, it took me to the sound way. She took me to a barbershop.
Speaker 3: And I can't remember how old it was, but as I got older, she started taking me to the barbershop.
Speaker 2: She used to cut my head and then she started and she.
Speaker 3: Had me sing for the guys in a barbershop, right, and all of them gave me ten dollars each. So I must have walked out of there with almost two hundred dollars okay, right, And so that's the first time I noticed that I can make money doing it, okay. And I told I remember telling her. I said, my like, this is I can make money singing.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah you can.
Speaker 3: She's like, who's got to work hard, you know, and believe in yourself. And so after that she started putting me in talent shows and I did my first big talent show that got me some recognition was a talent show copa state hop and State College in Baltimore. And I didn't win the show, but Drew Hill was there. It was label Execs there.
Speaker 2: It was a big thing. It used to happen like once every three four months.
Speaker 1: Did you know that those type of level of people are going to be there?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So you just came to oh mom, Okay, I didn't know. And I have another question to go back to the barbershop story. Do you think your mom knew that they were going to give you the money or do you think it was a pleasant surprise?
Speaker 3: For both definitely a pleasant surprise, but she was just bragging like almost us, saying he can he can go right okay. And then she was like saying, so she's always prominent the spot. And I used to hate it because I'm just like I like to prepare my mind for it. She used to make me do it because I think she just she was proud, right, Yeah, I would do that with my child, you know.
Speaker 2: And and I also thought.
Speaker 3: I think she just loved music so much as well, so her passion for seeing me do what she loves also was just immediate all that much more important to her.
Speaker 2: And so now she just maybe and then they were like, hey, little man, look like happened.
Speaker 1: Just happened now before we go into like the tipping point, I would like to say that the pre tipping point, so just kind of circle back on you and your mom. So it seems like and I could be off. Was this like the music kind of also like this bonding thing that you guys had or was it like it was it became like the little glue between you or do you guys? Did you guys have like an overall well balanced relationship and this was just the toping.
Speaker 3: Well I would say that our relationship got tighter as I got older because I started to understand the importance of it more as a kid. She was there, but she also wasn't there in a lot of ways because she was suffering from her with her or challenges of life.
Speaker 2: And so music was definitely.
Speaker 3: Something I never doubted between It was one thousand per cent of bar we had. She played piano sometimes and I would literally just I coulpays sing To this day, it's something I love to do with producers and writer. It's just because I used to do it with my mother. So it's like a lot of songs start like that. A lot of moments, a lot of great chemistry start like that between creators. Because that's why I feel comfortable breaking the ice. I might not even know how to talk to somebody, we might never get it, but since the music start, you know, and I think she is still that in me of like helping me understand the communication and music. How powerful it was in terms of creating space to understand each other.
Speaker 2: And there was definitely a glue. It was one percent of glue.
Speaker 3: She'd always play amazing music and she was one of those people that she took everything when it came to music and picking the right songs at the right time. She just took it really seriously. She was always playing music around out. She always had a car. Fully see, when CDs came out, she had those booklets, you know, those book with the CD just unlimited music, just music, and I would take cart would steal it, honestly out of her car and I would go put it in my carrier machine. And the one I had, you could put the CD in on one side and the cassetteide and courge yourself sack.
Speaker 2: So I would do that. Wou practice and pant practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so so she So she definitely played a huge role in your music career. So going back to this big performance at this college. So what happens you perform, you get off stage, someone slides your card.
Speaker 3: Let's before we even get there, Okay, all right, putting you in this talent show. This conversation we happened putting in this talent show. You know at the time, I want to say, she was trying to go back to college at the time, so she would we would leave school and then go audition for stuff. She would always try to get me in these things and shows and plays, and we go to this audition and we meet this guy who's running the talent show and I was the youngest person on the show besides his niece.
Speaker 2: How old were you would you say at this time? It had to be like ten eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe too. And we get there and it's a long line of people, right, so we're walking past. Little do I know this is the audition line. It's the audition line. But everybody I know. I don't see any kids.
Speaker 2: I see groups.
Speaker 3: I see guys out there dancing and they popping and stuff. I see girls out there. I see all types of stuff. And so we get inside and we're just waiting inside. So we sat inside and he came in.
Speaker 2: I went in.
Speaker 3: No, I sat inside and there was somebody in there singing, going crazy. She was singing like Whitney Houston or some crazy incredible I heard it through the door.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting there the time listen listening to her sing, and I'm like, I'm like, ma, I'm looking at her.
Speaker 2: She's like, come on, you going to here. I'm like, I don't. I don't want to do it. Started crying. I got scared. She kneeled down. My mother was very she was a capracr so she was very aggressive. And it's like it wasn't even if she told her no, she don't hear no. She don't. I don't think it's possible for her to hear no. It was just impossible. So I like her already, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So like she was just one of those that that type of energy, and I was very scared of her. Please okay, please don't make me go in I don't know this.
Speaker 2: Man, Like, don't make me go ahead and sing if it is bad.
Speaker 3: And so I went in there and I sang and but yeah he was.
Speaker 2: He thought it was great whatever, And I got to tell a show. So that's how that starts. Now.
Speaker 1: Just see in the room when you were singing, like, okay, did you feel extra pressure like you better?
Speaker 2: Was it was? I was.
Speaker 3: I left my body at that point. I wouldn't have been able to do what I was just leaving. I gave in, I gave up. I said, look, but I realized, like looking back now, even as I'm telling a story, I realized that everything that she was doing.
Speaker 2: Was preparing me for these moments.
Speaker 3: You know, So it came. It got to the point where once I start singing, I.
Speaker 2: Think I was madic because I know that space.
Speaker 3: And I think anybody can relate to like having a passion for something, no matter what's going on, when you tap into that energy and you're in that vortex and you're in that moment present, all your fears, everything goes out the window and it's just you and God and you know, And that's what that was. And I think that was like one of the first moments where I realized the power and what she was doing, and yeah, it was powerful.
Speaker 2: So I did that. And then I think the Talent show was a week later or something.
Speaker 3: We got got dressed, I put on I had a jeans suit set on with some fake a fake silver chain. She cut my hair at that time. I actually still got pictures somewhere. I gotta find it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say I got and we go to the Talent show. I do this show.
Speaker 3: I kill it, you know, And then her his niece ended up winning, but I think he gave it to it for the but it was a moment that I'll just never forget.
Speaker 2: I was backstage.
Speaker 3: I was mad, I was frustrated at a loss and then like Drew Hill came in there, Cisco came in, there was like solo man, Jazz came in there, is it was it was fire and it was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah and they yeah, they was there and so it was fire.
Speaker 2: That was fire.
Speaker 1: So then what happens after that?
Speaker 3: So after that, my mother meets a agent slash manager at the time, and they connect. It's like, yeah, I think your son has talent, but this is stuff that she's telling me, and yeah. They just stayed connected over the years and years later he reached out to her to put me in a group.
Speaker 2: Years later, Wow, two years ago and two or three years when.
Speaker 1: You were doing solo at this time, I was just solo.
Speaker 2: I was a solo artist.
Speaker 3: I was singing in church. Mind you do all of this, I'm singing in church. I'm like all of that, right, And so.
Speaker 2: I tried a group. Things that don't work out, and then I ended up moving.
Speaker 3: In New Jersey when I was like thirteen fourteen that freshman year.
Speaker 1: And high school and these are like, these cities aren't like I would say, I would for lack of better word, these aren't These are rough cities. Baltimore, but Jersey.
Speaker 2: Also Jersey, where I lived, that wasn't it was it.
Speaker 3: It was some of the kids that went to the school I went to came from rough areas, so that's whay. A lot of crazy stuff was going on like when I got there. But like the Bregen County wasn't like a super rough place, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was spots, you feel me, like certain gangs or certain culs. But it was nothing like I've never I've never in my life been anywhere is as crazy as Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Se And do you still go back to used to go back time.
Speaker 2: And time from time time, not a lot, but from time to time.
Speaker 1: So you and your mom just solo dolo to Jersey.
Speaker 2: Well, I went, She said me, by myself. What do you mean by yourself?
Speaker 1: Just wait, I here's a plane ticket, by I mean, here's let me.
Speaker 2: I'm skipping something. I'm not.
Speaker 3: Let me not do that because I'm let me go back. All right, cool, fuck it, we're gonna go.
Speaker 1: Now, we're gonna get by the way, yeah, you already know we're gonna go over time. I saw, I saw the mark.
Speaker 2: We're going on get some cake.
Speaker 3: So during this time, my family was falling a part a lot, you know a lot of things where people are getting older and things were changing.
Speaker 2: It was a lot going on.
Speaker 3: And I kind of got misplaced in that because when my grandmother passed when I was twelve years old, that took a lot out of me. That that changed my life, That changed my perspective of everything I thought love was life was.
Speaker 2: My grandmother worked three jobs to take care of the family.
Speaker 3: My great grandmother lived with us, her mother, And so I watched my grandmother work tirelessly.
Speaker 2: And take care of the.
Speaker 3: Family while going through her own issues and sugar I be like, I watched her kind of like deteriorate in front of me because of stress and just life and bad eating habits and you know, all of the things that a lot of our grandmothers and uncle's didn't care her worry about the time. Like if I knew what I knew now about health and like the importance of the frequency of your body and taking care of yourself and the right fools out, would have been able to save my grandmother for sure.
Speaker 2: And I think about that so much, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Would you say she passed young? The word grandma her late faifty ye does young?
Speaker 3: And so that took a toll on my family. My family kind of fell apart after that. You know, even though we had our issues that every it was a lot of toxic, crazy stuff going on.
Speaker 2: We're still family. But she was like the bat. She was themself. You know.
Speaker 3: She was the one that everybody would call when they had issues, if they needed money, if they needed whatever, like you know, So when that happened, it it changed. It made me numb as a kid, I was.
Speaker 2: I was. She was. She was like my mom, Like she was like really my mom.
Speaker 1: To assay, when you say it made you numb, so that means that you were like avoiding your feelings.
Speaker 2: It made me that time to life.
Speaker 3: It made me numb to like expectations, It made me numb to anything, like there was no more light in my life. I felt like she was my life, you know what I mean? Like I was, I seen so many crazy things. I've seen people overdose in our house. I've seen police was raising our house every other weekend, like stee feeling like.
Speaker 2: I grew up like that, and it was like.
Speaker 3: She was the She just made life seeing like everything was gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: It was like.
Speaker 1: That that her passing made you numb. But then you just name like other things that were like some some most people like myself would be like that was super level trauma, regular regular.
Speaker 3: All of that was regular, you know what I'm saying, Like, all of that to me was was a regularized seek.
Speaker 2: Since I can remember, I was seeing things stuff like that. You feel me.
Speaker 3: My my uncle got killed when I was like four or five years old. My mother's brother, like he was like, you know, somebody in our family that everybody looked up to.
Speaker 2: He got shot twice. You know, I remember being.
Speaker 1: A kid, and so you were like you were knew to death, you weren't new to overdose, you weren't new to crime. But then your grandma passes and that because to me, to.
Speaker 2: Me, she was like I'd never seen my grandmother cry.
Speaker 3: I never except way in church, like you know when she was praising the Lord, like I never seen her. I never seen her fail or give up or or she never wanted anybody to see her in pain. So when she started getting sick and I started seeing that part of her manifest I was just like, wait, what is life like?
Speaker 2: What is this? What's really going on?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, so anyway, where she passed, fell fell apart, and it was kind of like I was a free agent.
Speaker 2: It was like I was living with friends. I was here's your mom.
Speaker 1: What was going on with your mom?
Speaker 3: Though at the time, I can't tell you exactly what was going on where because I don't know, but I know that she.
Speaker 2: Was so you're her relationship.
Speaker 1: She would like bob in and out your life, but your grandma was your staple. That's that's what I'm getting.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent. Okay, Okay, I'm not good at telling this story.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're doing a great job. I'm just because it's so crazy, Like I love hearing your story, like, yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: And it's true. I'm not gonna lie. It's my truth.
Speaker 3: Is the reason why I am the way I am today, why i'm you know, still here even in this game, and and just.
Speaker 2: Like focusing on living up no matter how hard things get.
Speaker 1: Like so, but you know you're in my opinion, like the entertainment business has got to be one of the hardest industries, especially in I'm going to say especially in your position, because when you hit the I would say you break the class ceiling right in an industry. That's like, you know, constantly like okay, being pitched. Okay, what's the new, what's the new, what's the new, what's the news.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's helping me. Everything in life is alchemy. Alchemy, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean when you're dealing with when you're dealing with something that has to do with giving people an expression or an experience to have, it's all energy and it's all ugly.
Speaker 2: And that's how I've looked at it.
Speaker 3: I'll save for the past six or seven years of my life, like, Okay, how do I balance out all these Are we burning that?
Speaker 2: No? You're not burning it?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Should we check though? We should check it real quick.
Speaker 1: Really, it's only been like twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Is it all right? Cool? Fat?
Speaker 1: It smells like it just smells good. But you know what it smells. Okay, you know that's all. Pause for a second and just check it out. Mario was like, yo, I smell it burning and I was like.
Speaker 2: No, it's not the first time. He was like, no, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's definitely it definitely burns. Because this is what happens when Coleen tries to be a backwards chef. So col we did burn it, but before we get coked, we're gonna try it.
Speaker 2: Let's try it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try this, all right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna should we should we?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna try it like that?
Speaker 2: It's gonna it's gonna be hot.
Speaker 1: There's more burn. Sorry, guys, I'm gonna try and I'm going to try and put it on the plate, just so you guys could see the inside of it. Is it good?
Speaker 2: Is it right? Is it okay? That's okay?
Speaker 1: Is it because I messed with it?
Speaker 2: Okay? I want to see the inside. Guys.
Speaker 1: Look it looks like legit. Look at the inside, so.
Speaker 2: You look cool if you look at it from next.
Speaker 1: So look, we have the cinnamon in there. The cake probably mad because I burnt his cake. I'm sorry I burnt your cake.
Speaker 2: I wish I would justin.
Speaker 1: He was like I smelled.
Speaker 2: I was like I knew it was going there. I'm like, yeah, it's going there. So I was in the story.
Speaker 1: So okay, So I'm gonna try this cake. Mario's already digging in.
Speaker 2: Crazy during even matter. Oh my gosh, I.
Speaker 1: Don't see why they use this RB. It's super moist. Is yours as good as mine. Hold up, let me show you how gangster I am. Oh my god, this creak is good.
Speaker 2: All right, you gotta try with the almond milk dough.
Speaker 3: So get a bite and then like right after they drink some other it's gonna put anything.
Speaker 1: Wait, I wanted to put some of the batter on it, right because I'm gangster, all right, I know what.
Speaker 2: Is batter like.
Speaker 1: But look, it's gonna be like an icing okay here, yeah, really that's what I was saying. If we put the batter on top, that it's gonna take away the breath. Oh is that what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I was saying that when he came, he's trying, then it would have all right, let's hold on, honest the thing and it wasn't Prasey with the batter already.
Speaker 2: He ain't eve gotta say that. Don't even say that, Ireny.
Speaker 1: Tell me that I had wow mm hmm on the milk, my milk, cheers.
Speaker 2: Chers eat it. Where I broke broken, we ain't broke.
Speaker 1: But what an amazing combo, you know what. I definitely say the sweetness and almond milk, so the cake turned out absolutely delicious. This took us like fifteen minutes to like prep and make, and if you don't have me in your kitchen, you probably won't burn your cake.
Speaker 2: It's okay, but we made it work.
Speaker 1: We put the batter as icing, totally hooked it.
Speaker 2: Up in and it's still it's still like the tastes. You still get what the you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So tom cake, Yeah, it's the cinnamon and the soft missing.
Speaker 2: There's a certain custard that goes over the top. I think that's what that's to use for mm hmm.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to actually, it's actually supposed to have that are on the top, but it's supposed to be a different type of like an icing, like an icing.
Speaker 2: I don't see. My grandma was a wizard in the kitchen. Love.
Speaker 1: I crazy appreciate your grandma's contribution. So your life, because now I can have Soccer to Me cake for the first.
Speaker 3: Time, and you could and you could cook it more often and get better at you know what I'm saying, all right, and.
Speaker 1: You can say that made Soccer to Me cake one time on the show. I gotta drink this.
Speaker 2: Milk, doesn't it add like the extra?
Speaker 1: Like I'm surprised the cake isn't sweeter.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we didn't put a lot of sugar in there, but I thought those cake mixes come with sugar already.
Speaker 3: I don't know kind of cake missile us because we got the person to go there first. I don't know, but it tastes good like the icent like this makes it feel like it's sweeten than what it is.
Speaker 2: So I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it, and batter is going to be my new icing.
Speaker 2: Moving forward without the brac cake.
Speaker 1: So your mom sends you to New Jersey after your grandma passes, solo dolo. Now this is where I'm like, where are you going?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean, familiar with with who she sent me were at the time, and I'm young. But when I tell you, like, I don't think you understand, Like I literally was numb to all of it because the reason why I went is because I was staying in a group home with my best friend because his mom basically ran a group offs. I was just staying there because we could do whatever we were. You feel me, And it was just like I was just I wasn't going to school, I was skipping, so I got in trouble and see what happened. But when the cops were looking for my mom. They like I wasn't with my parents, and so well, we finally caught up where it was like either I had to live with my aunt or and so I ended up moving. I live with my aunt for a little bit, but I just kept I already got a taste of what being outside was like, and so I just liked it, right. I liked my freedom at the time, and there was no one there to leave me down the right path or up the right path, and so from when I got in trouble, but I was like when she didn't want to take on that responsibility and not be able to take care of me, And so that's why that's the real reason I ended up moving.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got to taste for the outside. You were having all this freedom. Now were you saying freedom and the sense of because like no curfews. Are you saying that whatever.
Speaker 2: I wanted to do it as a as a twelve year old kid, Well, that's really young to have that freedom.
Speaker 3: No, No, wait fourteen, because I was in high school.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you were still doing music, but you were running the streets.
Speaker 2: I wasn't doing music at the time. I was I mean I was still singing him, so I was still I still love. Yeah, I wasn't actively. I hadn't been in one studio in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you were. You weren't participating in talent shows anymore.
Speaker 2: Because I was over. In my eyes, that was over.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you moved to Jersey and you're in a group home that you're group.
Speaker 3: The group of host thing happened in Baltimore, right, And then when I moved to Jersey, that was like we pretty much getting adopted really because I never went back home. It was supposed to be for a weekend, but I never went back to Baltima, okay, right, and so that's when it turned into put.
Speaker 2: Him in a group. The group don't work out.
Speaker 3: Then when I when I was fourteen, I ended up getting signed to J Records, Clive Davis's label.
Speaker 2: Oh that's how that happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you get signed. I think I didn't tell you before that I taped to Neo and Neo had told me how he had. Now was that the record that Neo that wasn't even nice?
Speaker 2: It was like I was fifteen at this time. Okay, this was like two thousand and two, two thousand and one, right, okay, I fly to La worked with Warren Campbell.
Speaker 3: He had this song called Just a Friend that he had recorded on Usher already. They felt like the record was too young for Usher. They went with another record, and I ended up cutting Just a Friend. Shout out to Warren Campbell and Harold Lily and all my family guys that I loved that helped me understand how to tell stories.
Speaker 2: Musically.
Speaker 3: We did come on Break my Hair Just a Friend, Like, those are records that I recorded as my first project. Wow, And they were the records that introduced me to the world and I was fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Yeah, so all of that happened. Money Run. These peop really knew my story and where I came from. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like I had to break the ice with them through sessions and stories.
Speaker 2: And I Bring my Hair came.
Speaker 3: About like just missing being home getting my hair braided by my little girlfriend I had, Like that was what.
Speaker 2: That's all I was about.
Speaker 1: So you get pretty much catapulted overnight. Yeah, and what's going on in your head? Mama made it. What's going on? Are you seeing money or where you seeing money? Like real money at the time, because I know I was a kid.
Speaker 2: I was. There was a basically like a trust set up for me, but I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Really you were like touching the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't. But you were working absolutely, and we were working. I was on promoto, I was touring the world. And where's your mom doing all this? She was still living in Baltimore, and.
Speaker 1: She knows what's going on. She knows that you're traveling and doing all this.
Speaker 3: I think my year and my family they knew I was doing my thing, but nobody in my family was involved.
Speaker 1: Nobody was even trying to reach out at the time.
Speaker 3: There were a few instances where family members try to reach out, but it was done.
Speaker 2: It wasn't rockets my mind.
Speaker 1: Mike, can you give me an example.
Speaker 2: I'm about to do. I'm not gonna I'm gonna give. I'm just trying to, like figet it I wanted to give you.
Speaker 3: So that was an essens where one of my cousins came up to Jersey with my mom and it turned into like some real like yo, let us in or else type.
Speaker 2: Energy you feel me. They didn't understand the music you feel me, and.
Speaker 3: That that ended up being whatever I don't know if something like change had happened, but that disappeared, and I kind of was just like go with the riot because I didn't know as a kid what was going on. I didn't understand how things were set up.
Speaker 1: I was then you probably were trying to like mess it up either, right, I would imagine I was. I was an autopilot still from your grandma, just in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like imagine just like moving around so much and not understanding where you're going and not understanding the purpose behind everything. But I will say this, my grandmother on her deathbed Northwest Hospital, she told me, she said.
Speaker 2: This journey's gonna get really hard for you.
Speaker 3: But she said your deskline for greatness in her own words, but she said, your destline for greatness. Never give up. I'm always with you, never give up.
Speaker 2: And to this day, I.
Speaker 3: Literally feel her with me everywhere, like it's a thing where it's like no, I've gone through so many teams, so many labels, so many and my own independent.
Speaker 2: Label now like I do all my own business.
Speaker 3: Now, I understand the business very well, good like life is good.
Speaker 2: But getting to this.
Speaker 3: Point, every point in my life through the the belly of the devil and the belly of the beast. I always felt her walking with me, So I was I never was a fearful kid, like I was never even when I was moving around and I moved it I was alone, but I always felt that with me, So I never was like scared of anything.
Speaker 2: Never scared.
Speaker 1: But the fact that you're acknowledging like walking through the belly of the devil, it's gonna make me wonder.
Speaker 2: The belly of the beast.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, yeah, the belly of the beast. And now I have to ask, like, can you share an experience of what a belly of the beast walking through that is? Like, can you give me an exact, actual example of like the hardest time.
Speaker 3: I would say this, when you are a person that goes against the grain and you think for yourself and you don't allow the energies around you to consume you and your soul, then you have to face certain challenges. I mean, it's hard to say exactly what because it's so many different, but it's really like when things are trying to condense your light through pulling access from you, or taking away your voice, blackballing you, or like putting you in a position where it's so much harder for you to get to the next step or you push through anyway. Yeah, but you still also.
Speaker 2: Keep your composure, your integrity, keep your your your life.
Speaker 3: You know, there were times where it got really dark for me, you know, after having huge success in stepping away from music because of what I was going through personally, you know, and when I moved back to Boston at eighteen years old, you know, when I was able to have like be an adult and move around on my own.
Speaker 2: I left Jersey and went back and this left and how how long were you in Baltimore for like four years?
Speaker 1: And this is when you're in a hiatus or the peace of your career.
Speaker 3: Let Me Love You came out in two thousands when I was like eighteen years old, So it was like right after that type of energy. But at the time, it was so much going on. There's so many people grabbing and pulling it. It was like and I was having issues with the deal I was. It was like a lot, and I just left and went back to Baltimore. And so when I went back to Baltimore, there's a whole other level of life to face because now you're you're not in my mind, I'm still here, yeah, but everybody else's mind I'm Mario. So I had to face a lot of my own demons. I got to really see who I was, meaning all the things that I escaped, but that was still there, lingering.
Speaker 2: When I moved back home. It was looking at like this, Can.
Speaker 1: You give me an actual example, like Mario.
Speaker 3: Like like where I'm from, But there's a lot of hope. It's taken out of life for a lot of people. You know, people wake up hopeless every day. You know what I'm saying, It's fair even if you live in a nice part of.
Speaker 2: Baltimore, or like I had a playhouse downtown, like.
Speaker 3: You five minutes away from things on every block. You know what I'm saying, You five minutes away from getting ribbed or shot or whatever. And I just never know. Because I was from there, I never looked at it like that, like I just was used to that. But I was me living in those spaces, and so I had a lot of energy coming from me from every different angle.
Speaker 2: While I would go and do a show, fans this.
Speaker 3: And this and that, I'm going back to Baltimore and so I'm living I saw myself kind of like at eighteen years old, getting into things that Mario shouldn't be getting into, you know what I'm saying, but nobody knows, like what just like dealing with the wrong people, you know what I'm saying, and just like really allow of certain energies to be around me that that I was comfortable with, but that wasn't healthy for me. And so I started my energie shows. My passion for music started doing the like you know, even though I was still putting out music, I wasn't as like it was like autopilot for me. It was like I'm doing this because of the job, not because I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I was curious to see if you ended up being like, for lack of a better word, like two personalities because you have this superstardom and then you have Mario that's coming from Baltimore that's dealing with like say family issues or you know, personal definitely trying to deal with that.
Speaker 2: I would say one hundred percent, one hundred percent right.
Speaker 1: And are you writing music at the time, like throughout your car or you just singing or not just singing, but like are you because it's to me, it sounds like when you say you went numb, Like, are is there an outlet for you to express your feelings?
Speaker 3: Because I was in a major label system and it was more just about fighting that next hit.
Speaker 2: I didn't have a voice really, and so it was like.
Speaker 3: Any record it I was writing, whatever I was doing that was making me feel it was always like, ah, that's not it okay, and then oh, go work with this writer.
Speaker 2: It's just like it made me start hating the industry.
Speaker 1: I kind of like, I was like, it's actually kind of cool to hear you say that, only because you can actually see like your environment still peeking through. Even though like even.
Speaker 3: Just like I was like Bottimore, just like I was like this like R and B pop kid to everybody, but my real life it was like.
Speaker 2: Like you're like streets.
Speaker 3: It was like I was seeing so much crazy shit and it's like but I never really talked about it. I just knew I should because when I first got signed, it's like I got signed by like like the biggest execs to ever live, and so like I learned through artist development how to be perfect, yeah, how to say the right shit interviews, how to be I never really talked about my real life, No one never really knew my real life, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I know as a fan, and you literally look like the perfect cookie cutter, like you know, like you came from this little Cosby household and this.
Speaker 3: And the and it's crazy because it's like the soul in my voice told a different story. Yeah, but my image was like and it was like when I started to want to be more memes, like, it was always like no, no, And so I just stopped.
Speaker 2: I just stopped.
Speaker 3: At a certain point, I just I stopped. I just wanted to live life and be away from everything. And so that's when I'm I moved to Bottomore and that probably the stopping part probably happened between like the ages like twenty three and twenty seven. So I moved to LA and I started a whole other spiritual journey. I went through something that in Baltimore. I went to it through a situation with my mom and it was it came out news but it was obviously it was fixed and all of that stuff, like.
Speaker 2: And after that, I was like, I'm not letting, I'm not.
Speaker 3: It was like I would come home and like at the time she had a spot and spot on the spot and I would go over.
Speaker 2: There sometimes and then be like random niggas and I was like she being in the bathroom doing what she do, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It got to the point where I started becoming her protector and I was put my life in danger.
Speaker 2: And it's a lot.
Speaker 3: It was just it was a lot of things. It was the people I was saying, it was a lot, and I just saw I won't say the devil because I don't believe in that. I believe in causing effect, and I believe in the proximity and circumstances. But these circumstances were causing the frequencies that I was attracting to get closer and closer and closer to the point where I found myself in situations that I couldn't get out of and I was like, I got to get out of here or else I'm not going.
Speaker 2: To make it. I can't. I had to leave Baltimore. Yeah, But it was everything. Everything.
Speaker 3: It was my comfort zone because it's what I knew is where I felt comfortable, and.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like a place where you could kind of be yourself right without that.
Speaker 3: But it was also it also hurt me in my career at that time, because I wasn't moving around with other artists and my peers and doing certain days because.
Speaker 2: I just I just didn't. I felt I just felt that felt like it wasn't real. It wasn't for me.
Speaker 1: So how are you surviving financially?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Are you like living off?
Speaker 2: The money was good?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Like I was doing shows, I was still you feel me like the money was good.
Speaker 1: So you decide to up and leave too, and you choose of all places, you choose l A. Yeah, okay, I have one in LA when I came.
Speaker 2: Yeah, l A. The weather. No, it's not even that, It's like, it's about what you built for. I really believe that.
Speaker 3: It's like if you if you understand no better, nowhere in the world is safe from your r dements. You can go to Bali or go somewhere. You still got to face your ship, you can't.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And I think like places you go which just highlight things even more, yeah, and hwh like and make you become more of a alchemist in your own life. And for me, because I had practiced so much in Baltimore, moving to LA wasn't enoughing I'm moving to LA at twenty four, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no, bro, I'm good. I don't want no coke.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I don't do that type of show. I see this shit, giring got everything. I already seen this shit. Yeah yeah, that fact. I might be able to make some money off here, Like, but I ain't go ahead, like you feel me?
Speaker 2: But I didn't go that, Yeah, like I ain't you feel me?
Speaker 1: So so now you're in LA. You're you're in LA. Are you signed to a label? You're doing independent? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm still sign? No, I'm still signed at this time. I'm still sign.
Speaker 3: But I just wasn't actively going to the studio and I just was living my life doing whatever I wanted. I was on another jerny. I was on I was in a whole other space, you understand. Like I'm seeing a different side of life than anybody news.
Speaker 2: I'm like all.
Speaker 3: The people that in my life. My I got friends coming in and out of jail. I'm feeling exited. I'm putting like it's like it's a lot going on, like other family rbers around me like it was. But I'm also seeing like the music side of things. So it's like I'm in the middle somewhere like who am I?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who are you?
Speaker 1: Well, I think because you're on two different extremes, you have two completely different extremes of life kind of pulling at you right exactly so. But the one that looks good is telling you to kind of be fake.
Speaker 3: And then the one, that one that is beneficial for my finances and for maybe my opportunities in life, is telling me You're gonna have to you know, you have to to not be fakers there, but but be but sacrifice your your truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would say that, And I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Sometimes your fucking truth is not pretty, yeah, And sometimes you gotta face your truth in.
Speaker 3: Order to get to your destiny and your higher self. And that's what I had. And so when I when I'm facing my truth, was also me not staying in a place where I felt like, though I'm comfortable hearing my family artists, it's taken from me. It's going to destroy me, it's going to kill me. Yeah, I had to leave. And so when I made that decision to leave, it was final. It was no like hesitance. It was like I'm out on this date. I'm leaving and So when I left, moved to La and you know, I had a new team and management and all that stuff, but I was still finding myself. I was still fighting min and I did like I did a couple of movies and then I started, I start, I became a mystic. So I started practicing, Like what's a mystic?
Speaker 2: So during that time.
Speaker 3: Of between fourteen and eighteen, I practiced Islam because it's the family move was Muslim. So I practiced Islam for four years, four and a half years, sooni, And after that I started studying just different religions. I grew up in a very Christian household, you know, Pentecostal was like, you know, all of that soul.
Speaker 2: But because I started seeing.
Speaker 3: So much, I wanted to understand why people chose trauma and why people chose to torture themselves, you know, because that's what I saw growing up, Like why why?
Speaker 2: And what is the other side look like? What does death look like? What is death? What is the devil? What is what is evil? What's like? What's what is this ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I started diving in.
Speaker 3: I would go to this I would go to this library called the melly Phall Philosophical Research Center.
Speaker 2: And he had all types of book Melly P. Hall it was.
Speaker 3: He was a he was amazing, but he was also a really good show and someone who shared a lot of knowledge before he died on all types of things in life.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm not one of those people who are big.
Speaker 3: Onto cult, but I do study the knowledge and study things to understand where it had come from. A lot of our a lot of these calls come from ancient Egypt and all these other places that were way before the relations that were created to control humanity or created right. So in understanding that, I became a mystic right like the likes of Prince and so we study everything to understand that it's all one right.
Speaker 2: So once I did that, it just.
Speaker 3: Gave me a certain level of liberation and freedom that I never felt in my life because I had something that I understood why humans were imperfect, and I understood why the journey is yours to take and why your decisions and the proximity to your three sixty is so important to what's going to happen in your life immediately based upon also the decisions you make. And so when I started practicing these things and then also taking detoxes and like really practicing alchemy within myself. It immediately changed my mindset and I was able to start being happier, right, And I used to be very miserable and depressed and I didn't understand a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Can you just give me a definition of alchemy? I'm sorry, said it like three times online.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I don't.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, alchemy is a practice of putting different resources. You can use alchemy in anything. Everything is alchomy. Food is alchemy because you're taking different minerals and i'm sorry, different ingredients and putting together to create something cause and effect. So alchemy is causing effect of movement and physics and all these different things into one.
Speaker 2: Right, and then we are alchemy. Right.
Speaker 3: The relationships is alchemy, Like how does the alchemy of your relationship work? You can also change it at any moment, So it is your will of intention that creates the actual outcome, right, based upon a course of decisions and actions, search, so forth, and so on.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious, like whenever I see someone I guess seek truth, I have to wonder, like there had to have been some some for lack of better word tipping point. That's not the words a lot of points that I there was something that had you literally take a deep dive though there had to been something that it was just like a culmination, like.
Speaker 2: A combination of everything.
Speaker 3: And I mean all of this happened before my mom even passed, Like I became an alcoeme a mystic way before my mom passed. But like I would say, seeing her on her deathbed and having an overdose, you know what I'm saying. When I was seventeen years old, I was in Europe performance away and I came back to this and they asked me.
Speaker 2: To do I want to pull the plug? And I told her and she was in a vestable for two months. Wow.
Speaker 3: Seeing my grandmother pass away, seeing one of my friends get killed, seeing other friends get life in jail for killing people, like just so many things that being in the music industry and all of the ups and downs of it, and like understanding all of that, Like all of these things made me dive deeper and to also get to know different types of people.
Speaker 2: When I moved to LA, I met a lot of.
Speaker 3: Different people, like people in the industry. I knew people with the spiritual communities. I knew people that were healers, I knew people that work. There's a melting pot out here, you know, how it is, right, And I think this is a space because of where it lays. You know, it's also a testing ground. It's a space where both light and dark meets and you will find what you need to work on and work through, you know, here in a lot of ways, because there's a lot of open It's a lot of open minds here, and sometimes open minds don't have limits, and so you can literally.
Speaker 2: Dive into whatever frequency you want to dive into.
Speaker 1: So now with your career, the way, where where can we Where are you taking us?
Speaker 2: Real man? That's that's where are you taking us? Jude?
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that if you're doing press and you're doing you're definitely taking us something.
Speaker 3: Right now, I'm really just trying to tap people into my frequency, like like you know, I don't like doing interviews within just anybody, you know, Yeah, you know, But I would say in my in my personal I'll say that my life is like multi dimensional, most of all lives are. But I'm saying speaking for myself, and so now where I'm taking myself.
Speaker 2: Is I've been focusing more on business.
Speaker 3: I've been focusing more on, uh, being more social in my business relationships and like pulling things together and just being a boss and also being a creative but mixing those two together and finding the stride like like you know, long distance runners, like finding a marathon where you're like in a stride and things are going in.
Speaker 2: The direction of your will intentions.
Speaker 3: So that's what I've been focusing on in that part of my life, bringing the right you know, people together, reaching out, working with more of my peers, and just like opening up more in that way.
Speaker 2: Because for a minute, I.
Speaker 3: Was just like I'm just doing everything in all hours is but it's like nah, Like it's a blessing to be able to work with other artists and do other things. So like in that space where I feel like God and Source wants me to go is really international affairs that have to do with and working on a lot of great then with the advancement of our community and investment of us, but are really high levels. And I'm a very creative person. I'm a generator, so I like to generate ideas and actually see them manifests. So we talk about museums, we talk about hotels, we talk about schools, we talk about and all these different things.
Speaker 2: You know that I'm working with a great group of.
Speaker 3: People in Ghana and the Middle East, and you know, all these things are gonna help where I'm from.
Speaker 2: You know, as you know, we live in America.
Speaker 3: So this system here is is it's kind of stuck because we've already it could get better. However, there's just there's just there's so many systems that would have to be reset. We don't know exactly how it's want to be reset, but I do think it is going to be reset. But I just want to be in front of it. And so it's like on a spiritual level, I've been told to put certain things in place. So that's where I'm going and it'll show. I'm gonna share a lot about what I'm doing. But musically, that's a passion of mine. I'll always do music, But my real passion is, i would say biospiritual studies and spirit psychology.
Speaker 2: I'm not a passions.
Speaker 1: I'm super interested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'm dimin as a spaces to find out how to kind of merge those into like music and other experiences. That's where I'm and that I mean, I think that a lot of people are reading more or listen to podcasts more and like just really trying to understand their purpose more.
Speaker 2: And by me living my previous and.
Speaker 3: Also share my story more, I feel like it's gonna do what it needs to do if guy's gonna use me.
Speaker 1: However, I feel like, yeah, I kind of used to have the when I for me, I feel like I kind of am a little different when it comes to like I'm an entrepreneur by by nature, but I used to always be the type that like to make other field people feel comfortable. I put my light under the table, and I remember even in scripture they say, like, you know, put your light on top of the table. By you doing that, you let other people and to be more comfortable to let their life shine.
Speaker 2: What do you feel like light is? My darkness is not?
Speaker 1: No, that was real slick, That was like no.
Speaker 2: Where light is like light is because it's like okay, well you say push everything.
Speaker 3: I feel like sometimes I feel like light is a combination of everything because.
Speaker 2: It's like in order for you to be the light, you also have to be honest. You have to be true to yourself. Right, So.
Speaker 3: You don't always choose your experiences in life. You don't choose Sometimes they say, oh, you choose your prayers. But even with that being said, you still have to go through the actual maze of healing and of going through the drama and then healing whatever it is. So that darkness, as you would call it, is really just contrast. It might pain, yeah, it's contrast, right, And so all of it kind of like, I'm not saying.
Speaker 2: That there'sn't a difference between light and dark.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that it's kind of it's a combination of both. And when you show up in your truth without judgment, it then feels so much like love, because non judgment towards yourself is love, right, And then that in itself feels like light because it feels like welcoming. It feels like the way yeah life feels like the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I agree.
Speaker 1: I will say I mean we'll cut and probably have to talk off book camera, but I will say this, I think I'm getting old. I'm getting older, and I'm starting to discover that finding your truth has got to be one of the hardest things you can do. And I say that because sometimes we believe our truths is a some of our actions, and I believe that sometimes some of your actions can be just a autopilot response from our previous experiences.
Speaker 2: So like you if you.
Speaker 1: Oh you got it, Okay, I don't need know like Rick's but yeah, that's how I honestly feel like the more I get older, the more I'm like, what is my truth truth? You know, because I'm a wild ball, like a wild card. But at the same time, it's like like when I look at other people, I'm like, is that who you are?
Speaker 2: Or is that just some of your experiences?
Speaker 1: Like, you know, like real conversations and lo, I love that because I'm all for this. Yeah, I love these types of conversations.
Speaker 2: I never to I never get to have these conversations.
Speaker 3: By the way, this is amazing because it's important, and I think it's really important for us to start having you know, there's a lot of great people out here like having, you know, high level conversations like nineteen Keys who say, like, you know, and these it's the time for that, right, It's the time for evolution. It's the time for taking charge in your own life so that those people that are supposed to be on that journey with you. Y'all team up and y'all create, Like we're all pro creating, whether good or bad whatever, you know you we coexist in a world full of contrasts, and so at the end of the day, we got to find our tribe.
Speaker 2: That's the main goal. Music is great, entertainment is great. All of that shit is amazing. We love. It's magic, right, because we come with ideas.
Speaker 3: We're going to the studio. I was at a studio to six in the morning. We go in here, we create these ideas. Sometimes I create from spaces that are very conscious and aware, and sometimes I just create from whatever energy I'm feeling.
Speaker 2: But when I listen back, I can tell which wit is what?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, And so that's don't don't fall in love with your creation so much so that you feel like that's who you are.
Speaker 2: That's a fragment of who you are saying. And so that's what I had to learn.
Speaker 3: Also, it's like, I don't have to be attached to what people feel like is rio, So if I stay attested, it's probably gonna make me depressed because how can I have a grow like that? Right Exactly, So, I even in relationships or in friendships.
Speaker 2: I try not to fall in love with my creations.
Speaker 3: I try to experience it, try to perform it at the highest level. I can understand why it's there, and then from there I can decide, Okay, does this go with me?
Speaker 2: And how far?
Speaker 1: I feel like we're a twin twin Solis in that like I I feel like one hundred percent agree with you. So family, So we're gonna have to close out this episode. Is there where can people like keep up with you? Catch you? Are you on Instagram? So we could catch you at it at.
Speaker 3: Mario at Mario Worldwide and Mario world I don't know when this is coming out, but I'm doing Drainville Festive.
Speaker 2: You're in the North Carolina. If you're flying out for that, you want to hit some good R and B. And I'm being touring.
Speaker 3: I got a new project coming out, a new single out right now called You to Me features Todd Dolla.
Speaker 2: Another summer smash coming out soon. And yeah, music is a passion of mine. So I ain't never going nowhere, but thank you for this.
Speaker 1: This is thank you for coming on eating while broke, I was again super hyped, like made sure my calendar was eagant ready for you, so happy for you to cook everybody. You guys can check out Mario's dish in side our cookbook Eating While Broke. It will probably be our only dessert for the entire cookbook, So peace out, y'all. Peace for more Eating while Broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect, Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.