Speaker 1: I've been here for six days and I think I've lost about five years in my life.
Speaker 2: Man, what's handed? Man? You got Marshawn, be Small Lynch.
Speaker 1: Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politickets you know.
Speaker 2: To be you know to be.
Speaker 1: So, Marshawn. I you know I got to tell you from the Super Bowl. I see you on national commercial. I see you on a Starbucks commercial. I get through to NBA All Star Week and you're hosting one of the coolest things I've ever seen, a community FanFest event with the entire Oakland and the Bey area coming out.
Speaker 3: You did it your way, a real way.
Speaker 1: On top of that, you're also in a little show called Euphoria. Last I checked, it's the number one show in the in the US. How you do so, Marshawn, take me through your will win a couple of weeks of all this incredible stuff you've done.
Speaker 4: I mean, shit, Brice, you can't just go put me on the spot man, Fresh.
Speaker 3: You know I apologize.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm just saying Fresh. You know how I moved, man, Marshawn.
Speaker 1: I want to ask, she's something real quicking in a real note. You were close to someone very much uh in your life, the former owner of the Seahawks, Paul Allen. And this past few days you received the Paul Allen Humanitarian Award.
Speaker 3: Take me through that award and what that meant to you?
Speaker 4: Man, Look fresh, you're gonna you're gonna have to let me chew on something. You gotta let me eat one time for the one time, man to But to get that award was uh.
Speaker 2: Was pretty big that.
Speaker 4: Like, as I was sitting there and me and Babs was talking, and I look on the on the award thing and I realized, like, you know, this ain't something that I you know, I'm not really good at receiving ship. But then when I seen like my name and it had Paul Allen name on it and being award and award in his name, that was big for me because, uh, you know, towards the end of my career, me and him started to we had we started the conversating. Uh, you know, like I said at the award show, like this would actually respond to me, Like I mean, you know, we would have conversations and you know, I could ask him questions about you know, whether it was some investments that came out way or if I was looking for real estate or should I be looking at like you know, he he was. He would chop it up with me because everything that I would hear about him was like, oh, you know, Paul Ellen, he's no kind of different. You know, you don't really talk to people, and you know all this, that and the third. But I just remember him coming to one of my foundation dinners that we were having, and the response that I got from a few people that was up on the third floor was like, hold on, he'd really coming to your event.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah.
Speaker 4: He said he was gonna play as his guitar and hell is shit. And I'm like they like, well, you know he don't come out right. I'm like, nah, I didn't know. But we reached out and he said he was gonna come MiB too, And I just remember the first about the first but two three minutes he was there. I'm like, yeah, we taking shots of patrinity.
Speaker 3: By the way, I was right with you, me, you, me, you him and Michael Bennett.
Speaker 4: Remember that Michael Bennett and you had your boy Joe was there.
Speaker 2: Too, yep.
Speaker 4: And I'm like they like, man, I don't know what the hell is going on, but he took a shot of patrinity with you. And then I mean, you know we sat at the table and I mean I just was chopping it up with him on some on some cool on a year feel me like, what's up with it?
Speaker 2: Bro? And the nigga was solid to me.
Speaker 4: So I don't understand, like you know, that was other people's perception of me, but you know, for me, he was solid. So being able to get this award, you know what I mean? And his name is you know, I mean, it's it's full circle for me, you know what I mean. And and to me it's it's a real life respect. And like I said, I mean, you know, it made it a little easier to accept that award because I know, you know what I mean, what it means. And then I mean, you know all the philanthropy work that he was doing. Like I remember he called me one time. I remember you remember this too. He called me and he was like, man, can you get into Seattle tomorrow? And I'm like, yeah, wow, what's up? Like I want to have a conversation with you. I'm like, all right, cool, I'll be up there one time. Like, well, I'm in the Philippines right now. I think I just found the Japanese uh a Japanese fightership at the bottom of the Philippine Ocean. But uh, I'll be in Seattle. I'll need you there, like at four o'clock or some shit. I remember getting off the phone like, hey, Fresh, I gotta get to Seattle right now.
Speaker 2: We gotta go.
Speaker 4: You're like what, I'm like, yeah, man, Parly just called me, told me we got to get up there.
Speaker 2: You're like, well, shit, we going? I say, yeah.
Speaker 4: This motherfucker just told me he was in the the middle of the Philippine Ocean, found a Japanese cruise ship and we went and got it on our private pe you know what I mean. And we went up to Seattle and we had an interesting conversation with that gentleman.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know that to get that award was huge.
Speaker 1: Everybody. What an incredible day for our politic and guests. We have a former I want to say this same high school as me, different time, the mean streets Mona Vissa High School to junior college to UCLA football player to then scout with the Patriots Broncos forty nine ers and newly named last year general manager and executive the Year of the Washington Commanders, the hottest gym in football.
Speaker 5: Adam Peters guys, owed, what's up, Big Doug.
Speaker 3: Adam.
Speaker 1: I just told Marshawn, I keep telling about the mean streets and Montaviston Creupatino, and He's like, come on, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the fuck mean about them streets.
Speaker 6: There's a couple of blocks. There's a couple of blocks that are.
Speaker 3: Tough, you know, Yeah, a couple of tough blocks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we started getting into where the migos hanging out at.
Speaker 2: Then you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Well, well, Adam.
Speaker 1: Throughout these last fifteen years, as I was ever represented Marshawn, I've told him that I grew up in the mean streets of Creupatino and he came down one time to my mom's house.
Speaker 3: He's like, dude, mean streets. Come on, bro.
Speaker 1: But Marshawn, you'll love Adam. Adam is. Adam's like me, dude. He's a state school, public school kid, grinder, scrapper, junior college player at West Valley College to UCLA to now the grind of an NFL scout and now a current GM.
Speaker 3: Marshawn, He's been battling for a long time.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard uh your back down? Your background ran down like that?
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you hear how it done. Just run your whole background down. Yeah, you sound pretty pretty accomplished.
Speaker 7: My boy, Well, he's like he's kind of bragging about himself. He's just like me. He did all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeeah, you feel well.
Speaker 1: I got to be honest with Marshawn. I saw Adam yesterday and we had a few. Uh, we had a few. We had a lout this way. We had a long lunch for many, many hours, and for me, it lasted about nine hours.
Speaker 3: Put it that way.
Speaker 1: Adam had to go to work, but I had about a nine hours lunch that turned into a lunch to a dinner with a few cocktails in between.
Speaker 4: I was going to ask you how many how many drinks was involved in that?
Speaker 3: There was a few right at him.
Speaker 6: There was a few. You had a lot. You had a lot. I think was the night before I was still struggling.
Speaker 4: Hey, my boy, my boy drank like a guppy.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to tell you a funny story, and I'm not going to name the other GM that was there, But there was a gem there Marshawn that came to have a drink or two and he was going to go to mass and there was a Friday Mass or Thursday Mass, and let's just say he missed the Mass, and he missed a few more things. So his intentions were pure. But I think my my cocktail soda line got the best of them, and he missed the mass, so it's all good.
Speaker 2: Hey, I don't think that's something you should be bragging.
Speaker 7: No, I know, I think what you're telling him about that, But you know what, that happens a lot here, a lot, a lot of things are missed here, but those types of deals get done during those situations, not so much meeting, but when you're hanging out and you're talking and you're being honest with each other and being straight and so I actually had a good conversation with him too. Hopefully we'll get something done. But that's how this place is. You know, Like you know, you're not in your regular meetings, you're really not doing a lot of shit. It's when you're kind of in the meetings. After the meetings is when the real talk goes down.
Speaker 1: Well, Adam, before we get to that, you forget that at him. I was like me and Marshaan is like the origin story on things in life. And you know, a lot of people don't know and their listeners, Like you get done with UCLA, played football there, and then instead of going to be a software salesman, instead of investment banking, instead of whatever it may be, you get into being a scout. How does one go from college to a scout because a lot of people don't know how that is? How did you do that when you left UCLA years ago?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's really just the function of I didn't know what I wanted to.
Speaker 6: Do, Like, I had zero plans with my life.
Speaker 7: And I didn't really realize how not good I was at football until I realized it really late. I always thought I was better than I was so but by the time I realized, Okay, I'm probably not going to be doing this for a living, I wanted to stay in that. I was a psychology major, and there's not a whole lot of cool psychology jobs. It's really beneficial learning about it because you can talk to people a certain way and you understand people a certain way a little bit more.
Speaker 6: But I wasn't going to be a psychologist, so I was like, I want to stay in football.
Speaker 7: So the year after I finished playing, I was bill still in school, so I decided to.
Speaker 6: Stay and start working in the in the football office.
Speaker 7: So I worked in the football office with a dude, Randy Taylor, who was our director of operations. Had some great coaches, guys that are still in the lead today.
Speaker 6: You ever play for Vienname my Sean.
Speaker 4: I didn't get to play for him, but I got a pretty good relationship with him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So he was a coach, and then John Hembry was a coach.
Speaker 7: Then my coach at the time was Don Johnson god rest his soul is an incredible man and d line coach. So those guys kind of all took me under their wing and allowed me to work there. And so I worked there for you know whatever, six seven dollars an hour, just doing whatever I could to, you know, go and getting sandwiches, coffee and watching Tate.
Speaker 2: So he was grinding, dud, Do you hear that? Real grinding?
Speaker 3: So Adam, all your all your friends leave college.
Speaker 1: We're making one hundred grand, sixty grand, seventy grand, and what was your salary starting out with the Patriots as a scout it was.
Speaker 6: It was a hard negotiation. They said, you're making eighteen thousand.
Speaker 3: I said, okay, eighteen thousand.
Speaker 6: I drove out there. I said, all right, I'm not men.
Speaker 7: So so I took a I took a Penske truck from Westwood up to the Bay Area, loaded a bunch of shit in there. It was towing My had this like old accurate legend. This thing was actually awesome, six speed, like I could hal ass in that thing. Yeah, throwed that on the back, drove across the country to New England and then, uh, ship.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on you you didn't even fly.
Speaker 7: You drove, drove five days, made a few stops, almost died a couple of times, right through a snowstorm and snow yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it was during Uh it was during the spring.
Speaker 7: And hit a massive snowstorm on like I eighty, went through like Montana and Wyoming, almost.
Speaker 6: Drove off the side of the road.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 6: It was a wild trip, but but it was all meant to be.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: It was cool and a lot of cool people in New England. Won a lot of games, and then uh really kick started my career.
Speaker 4: As so you was you was over there when uh when when I came and had my little run in.
Speaker 2: Uh in Buffalo.
Speaker 6: Then, yeah, I went to New England three to nine and I started.
Speaker 7: And you won't remember this, but obviously I knew you really well because I became a West Coast scout in No. Six, So I was scout in your area. So I was coming to Cow all the time. I park up in that bullpen. Yeah, seeing those meeting rooms when all those fuckers were in the trees, you know.
Speaker 3: Hippie Hill, Baby, Hippie Hill.
Speaker 6: That ain't hippie hell man, it wasn't in the hill. It was in the trees.
Speaker 4: In the trees. They filed them up. They built the community. Yeah, in the tree. But I'm gonna tell you this. Them trees still there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They wouldn't take them down.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 4: They couldn't. They tried it. Yeah, man, look, let me tell you an interesting story about that. Not to get not to get a sidetracked. But the police came. Men was trying to get those people out the trees. Now, like I said, they had a community up there. They had buckets. I'm talking about trash buckets full of piss and ship And when the police would come up to they would throw that ship on the police, and when we would come up for practice, you could smell all that ship and fish just everywhere.
Speaker 2: But those trees are still there till this day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was like a non negotiable when they built the new stadium, the new stadium.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they couldn't. They couldn't kill those trees.
Speaker 4: They say, you building around these trees. These trees ain't going nowhere, Adam.
Speaker 1: What people know back then early on, like what what does the scout do? I mean, so you you were, you're the West Coast scout. What's trying to find uh the best player? I mean, what what did that job entail? And that grind early on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you know it's it's it is a grind. And again, when you're in an area scout, you're not making a lot of money.
Speaker 6: Just driving all around in my.
Speaker 7: Area was huge, like all the way out you know, up from the Bay Area, all the way up to Washington, over to Idaho, down to Utah, all the way down like New Mexico.
Speaker 6: So I just drive around in a circle wall fall, put like thirty thousand miles on my car all fall, and just stop at these schools. Cows. One of them went to a lot and just try to find guys, and Marshawn was alone.
Speaker 2: They don't they don't give you no budget to fly.
Speaker 6: Not in the area. Scout.
Speaker 7: Now you just drive. Now you get you get a car stipend or you get like mileage. But not until you're graduating to a national Scout or a director. You're not flying anywhere. You're just drive and just just wearing out your car. So you know, those drives are long on the West coast man between the long fun Yeah, so i'd get like.
Speaker 6: Ship what I listened to?
Speaker 7: I listened to, you know, like this, we can get into this too, Marshawnuh, some Bay Area rap. But I would just listen to shit fucking on a loop, listening to mac drad for like hours and hours and hours.
Speaker 4: Well, look, man, you picked the good artist to listen to if you're going to be driving from fucking Washington to New Mexico.
Speaker 2: Like god damn.
Speaker 1: But Marshaun, you know what these scouts did back then. All they cared about is there damn Marriott points. They all stayed in Marriott's because they all want to get their damn points. And Adam's probably how many points of Marriots you have right now, Adam, I use them all.
Speaker 6: Some guys liked them and they keep them forever. But I would.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 7: I'd get like a million points in a year and then I would just use them all in the summer for like my summer vacation. But some guys have like tens of millions where they just sort them and I don't know why they're going to use them, but I would just I would just blow it all every summer.
Speaker 1: So the cool thing, Adam for the listeners is that you know, I mean, there's thirty two GM jobs in the world. Okay, it's probably one of the most coveted things in the world. So for twenty some odd years you were banging from New England to Denver to the forty nine ers, and last year you got named the general manager, which is the the kreme de la crem in terms of a football other than owning a team, it's the GM. Did you ever think that day was not going to come? In terms of all the stuff you went through, the grinds, the drives, the battles, the late night dinners, the waffle houses, all the stuff you went through, did you ever think that day wasn't going to come.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, I always wanted to come.
Speaker 7: But there was times, yeah, for sure, where I was worried and I was like, man, I'm not gonna You always have bumps in the road, right, you know, through your school life, through your career, through your playing life, and so there was a lot of times where you know, I was really frustrated, either.
Speaker 6: With my performance or the situation or everything.
Speaker 7: But I think what was cool was I was I was very, very fortunate to be one with four grade organizations. Some started with New England it was like a dynasty then and learned how to win and learn.
Speaker 6: How to you know, work really fucking hard. Then go to Denver and we were really good.
Speaker 7: We won five Street Division titles, and learn from from John Away, from Gary Kubiak, for Matt Russells, some really like just really cool people.
Speaker 6: And then getting to San Francisco and being.
Speaker 7: With John and Kyle, and John's like, you know, the biggest influence on my life and my career.
Speaker 6: As a man, as a personnel, person, as a leader.
Speaker 7: And so there was a lot of times where I was worried and frustrated and everything, but but I was really really lucky to be around.
Speaker 6: A lot of great people and me to get this.
Speaker 4: So how they look at your performances based off of the players that you recommend, Like, all right, we got Marshall and Lynch right here. I think he'll be a good fit here, I'll come in. I'm a good fit. That's points to you, right yeah. So if I come in and I'm ash and I'm trash, then it's like, hey man, what what the fuck? You're losing points for that, right yeah?
Speaker 7: And it's and there's there's so much that goes into it, right, not just how good you are as a player, and you were, you were fucking awesome.
Speaker 4: So look, give me to give me, give me the breakdown, just and then use me as a player.
Speaker 2: And this is riding on your GM job as you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: If this player worked, then we give you the opportunity to at least uh interview for the job. What does it look like you got marshn Lynd shitting right here? Two thousand and seven draft?
Speaker 6: Yeah, as you and you had all day was your draft class right all the way?
Speaker 3: Hold on, Adam, Thank god there was no cell phones.
Speaker 2: But back then too, we ain't gonna get it to all of the up.
Speaker 1: I apologize, go ahead at him, I apologize, go ahead out hey.
Speaker 6: That goes for all of us. Man, trust me, that wouldn't be yeah.
Speaker 7: But you know, so the way we looked at it New England is we always valued you know, your versatility, What could you play on all three downs?
Speaker 6: So and I cross checked all the running backs.
Speaker 7: So not only did I do all the dudes on the West Coast, but I did all the running backs.
Speaker 6: So my number one running back.
Speaker 7: That year was Marshawn and because I knew what he could do not only on first and second down, but on third down. And you're dynamic in the past game too. So you're looking for a guy who fits your scheme. It's not so much Shoe is the best guy, most talented guy, but who fits your scheme, who fits your culture. And the more and more that I've done this, how they fit is more important than the talent. Talent's always extremely important, but you have to have that mix. So finding a guy who fits what you do and fits in your locker room and like you're a competitor and loves ball and all that stuff that those are where we make the mistakes. We don't make the mistakes on how good a guy is. You make the mistakes on how much he fits, how well he loves it, you know, how much of the competitor he is. And that's every mistake that we've made is because that I've made is the biggest ones.
Speaker 2: Because of that, I can only imagine.
Speaker 1: This is interesting, morshon And I'm gonna ask you this question. Adam, looking back to mo Sean in two thousand and seven, Okay, coming from Oakland going to cal forget the talent and all that, right, forget all that because you know that was there. Would you have drafted him to Buffalo because you're taking a kid from a different part of the country to Buffalo?
Speaker 3: Would you've would you have? Was that a good move?
Speaker 1: And Marshawn's same pulp questioned you, would you've drafted yourself to Buffalo knowing that that that organization might not have been ready for you back then?
Speaker 3: Adam?
Speaker 6: You first, yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 7: I think if I was at Buffalo by the time the GM was at the time.
Speaker 1: But Buddy Nicks, No, it wasn't Buddy Nicks, it was Marv Levy, Marv Levys, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and rest in peace Dick Jerome.
Speaker 7: Man, they spent a ton of time with you, with just a little bit of time with you before the draft.
Speaker 2: Who was that Marph? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Whoever?
Speaker 7: In Buffalo? Like the decision makers did they they fly you out? Did you do a thirty visits?
Speaker 6: You do any of that stuff?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I did it all, man, I spend a lot of well I spent a lot of time with with Marv and.
Speaker 2: With uh dig Jerry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I had to go up there and then I did the Combine meetings and all of that ship.
Speaker 6: So yeah.
Speaker 7: So I mean if they spent all that time with you and they felt comfortable that you'd be a good fit there, then that I think it's just a matter how much work you do. I can't like say he should or shouldn't have done it. I Mean, that's a long fucking away from home, and Buffalo is a lot different than the Bay. But you know, as long as you have the right culture and the right people, you know, guys can thrive in different environments. But you know that, you know that that's that's the biggest thing, is understanding and putting getting as much information as you possibly can to make the best decision and if they did that and they thought that and they were true to themselves, then that's a good decision. But if they were just trying to sell themselves on something and trying to like convince themselves as will work and maybe that's not right, then that's when you make bad decisions.
Speaker 1: Adam, you'll you'll love this, and then we'll get to the combine in a minute. But it's funny. So Marshawn's going through all the visits and all that stuff. And you know, back then, everyone to wear suits the visits and and this this means guys, before the draft, players will go in and the teams will bring them in for a visit for a day to meet the coach and the owner and whatnot. And so I never forget Marshaun. I picked you up a cow, woke you up like a six in the morning. You were flying to Dallas. And I pick him up, drop him off the Oakland airport, at him and and and as he gets out, I say, hey, what you forgot your suit bag? I throw him your soup bag. He took the suit bag, ripped it up, through it right back and across. I'm not wearing that shit, I said, bro, what do you mean I'm not wearing that? He said, and he'd never forget. He said, if Jerry Jones doesn't like me for who I am, not what I wear, then I don't need to be a cowboy. And he told Jerry the same thing. And that was the first time a player said I'm not going to go through this process and fake it or something I'm not comfortable in. And Moreshawn didn't do it, and it was such an eye opener for me as a young agent, thinking, you know what, how cool is that because Moreshawn drafts him for who he is. He's not gonna make put a suit on to fake it. And Marshawn was the first player really to do that, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's ahead of his time.
Speaker 2: It was, man, that ship was almost career suicide.
Speaker 6: Now it doesn't matter, man, I mean.
Speaker 4: Look well, I mean, you know it's gotta start somewhere. Yeah, I'm just thinking, just just as your process as a as a player, I know we're gonna get some young players who I mean is probably gonna look at this and see, you know what I mean, what what is it that a GM look like? I mean, I know you said that if you fish the culture and yeah, I mean talent is obviously a big deal. Get character bo and I mean no particular order. But what does that process looked for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it starts really with you know where I started as an area scout in the area of Scouts. Like, my job as an area scout when I went to cal was not just to know like my point of contact.
Speaker 6: But I knew Coach Googled, I knew Coach Malichick.
Speaker 7: I knew all those dudes right those and I developed such relationships with them that way I could have a real conversation with.
Speaker 6: Them about who you are. You know, who you are as a person.
Speaker 7: What time do you get in like, what do you do extra like how much time do you put in on it?
Speaker 6: How much do you love it?
Speaker 7: How much have you competitor on the field, you played through injuries and all that. So you as an area scout, you know your job is to be an expert in your area and know fucking every single.
Speaker 6: Thing about Marshaun Lynch.
Speaker 7: And then he brings that back to the college director and then we have meetings and the GM So all my now, all my information I get from our scouts and they tell me in the better the scout out, the more they know, because the more people they're type with so understanding everything that makes you tick, man.
Speaker 6: Not I mean everything that's their job. What do you do tonight? Do your homebody? Do you go out? Do you do you have the girl?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 7: I mean like all that stuff. Do we know everything about these guys possible in order to make that decision? Like fucking everything?
Speaker 2: So is it the all right?
Speaker 4: Because look, man, I used to think this was bullshit, So now it sounds like it's the gms who do this. But I would, I mean, I got drafted, and then I would come back home, maybe like maybe three four years after, and I go to some of you know, the same stores that I used to go to as a kid. The guy in there used to call me Mars Bors. Hey, Mars Bars, Mars Bars. He's like, Man, a couple of years ago, Man, some people came in here asking me questions about you and shit, and I'm like, Man, what the fuck is you talking about? He's like, Man, I don't know, Man, I don't know. Maybe they was with the NFL. I'm like, the fuck out. I had no idea. I didn't think nothing of it. But then I went to my elementary school and they asked me something.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, more shine. Now you know, I see you doing your football ship and whatever.
Speaker 4: But you know, some people came here a couple of years ago asking you questions, is it really that deep?
Speaker 7: It's not always that deep, but I think if someone's going to spend that much, you know, a first round pick some guys, some guys recycled, Like I never did the farthest. I would go with high school. I wouldn't do an elementary schools. But I know some guys that were area scouts with me out there that would just like they drive around Oakland and they would they would ask people ship. And that's a little like on on the stage like that was just like a myth like man.
Speaker 4: All right, yeah, so look man, so that ship is true because like nowadays, you know, you got well, I guess they make it easy now because they got this social media ship. How much of that, dude you look at when it comes to who I want to check this guy out in a little deeper debt, would you go and check social media and all that kind of shit.
Speaker 7: Well, we have a team of people that look at the social media and all flag This is millions and tens of millions of dollars. So you know, whatever we spend on that to help us not make a catastrophic decision, it's worth it.
Speaker 1: So Moreshawn, that's interesting because you and I talk about all the time these owners being impatient and the owner is like wanting results. And so you know there's some teams, as you know more Shawn in the league that they can't find a quarterback. You know, your old team, the Raiders can't find a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so Adam here, it's it's fate or whatever you call it. He gets to Washington and guess what, he's got the number two pick, and who does he get the quarterback of? You know, probably the next twenty years. So Adam taking me through how how great that was?
Speaker 2: Bucket is wrong. That motherfucker is.
Speaker 3: Wrong, and that would be Jade and Daniel.
Speaker 4: Well, whatever kind of investigating you did, you need to if it was the PI that you put on him, you need to go put that motherfucker on everybody because she he would have found something special.
Speaker 6: He's special, and you know what's cool is and we did.
Speaker 7: We went back to high school, we went back to everywhere, you know, and talking about him, and the same it was.
Speaker 6: Ever, the story was the same every time.
Speaker 7: This is a man, this is a competitor, This guy loves ball, this guy will do anything to win this.
Speaker 6: I mean it was like you couldn't hear every single story.
Speaker 8: High school coach, Herm Edwards, college coaches, private quarterback coaches, you know, guys that play with them like we talked to you like you loves him, like I mean, every single step of the way, teammates, whatever it is, support staff.
Speaker 6: It was just like, this is this is a dude. Now he's he's reserved, he's laid back, so don't let that fool you.
Speaker 7: Like this is a fucking dog competitor that will will fucking raise the level of your team.
Speaker 6: And that's what he did, man.
Speaker 7: And uh so you got to rely on all those sources. But when you hear it over and over and over, and it's the same thing that gets you a lot of confidence to pull that trigger.
Speaker 1: So you get that, you get this guy at him as a as a res a rookie GM and it's like you look pretty.
Speaker 3: Good with this guy, don't you.
Speaker 1: I Mean, it's a pretty it's a pretty good get in there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, It's funny. You get like you almost feel guilt because.
Speaker 7: Just so really really really blessed, really lucky that that he was there and that it doesn't happen every draft, and so yeah, we're very lucky. I feel guilty sometimes, but just very happy for our organization.
Speaker 1: No, mar Shawn is it's pretty cool your brother and your former teammate, Bobby Wagner and him have become very close.
Speaker 2: And dan Quinn big head.
Speaker 6: As he would love him too. Man, you would love playing for d Q, man, he's incredible.
Speaker 2: I did play with d Q.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I played with him as head coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not as a head coach, but yeah, we used to sit down and he used to throw some defenses at me, make sure I stayed on my ship. And then he got Bobby over there command and everything. So ship that's you know, I mean, I know he got some big but I wish you would have brought Cable with him.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Now, we we talked to him. We talked to he was integrated.
Speaker 2: Man, Cable because them too, they tight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we had a good good talk with him.
Speaker 4: But Cable might be too just a little bit too gangster for y'all up there right now, man, y'all probably gotta get you'all feet. We then come bring in at pind the cable up here, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So, Adam, it's interesting we you know as actually you know a year ago today you saw j Deannis the first time and we're actually out the scouting combine in Indy. And by the way, I've been here for six days and I think I've lost about.
Speaker 3: Five years in my life.
Speaker 1: I got actually I went to go get an IV today, truthfully, and the place was closed.
Speaker 3: I was kind of pissed off.
Speaker 1: What people don't understand is that, you know, they look at the combine at them, and they see the stuff on TV, the forty yard dashes, they see the broad jumps all that. What nobody understands is the seven days of what we go through here as an agent, as a former player in a GM. And you know, from my perspective, it's funny. I'll never forget is my thirty second year at the Combine, thirty second year here. I'll never forget early on in the process back then, you know, you went from the combine right there free agency. I'll never forget Marshaan, like ninety five, I was doing a deal, and I met this guy named Bill Pollie and the former GM of the Colts, who was an old school guy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He said, hey, meet me at eight o'clock in the morning. Well the night before I'm out drinking, partying, and I know what to expect. I meet this guy out and he's ready to get a deal done. I had no idea what I was doing. I'm like, oh my god, I said, hey, I said, mister Polly, I'm gonna have to get back to you when I get back. I had no clue how to get a deal done eight in the morning back then. But the combine atom has evolved to now this massive week of you know, financial advisors are here, businesses are here, equipment companies, interviews, the whole deal. But it's a huge job, fair for a lot of people. But take me through quickly outam, how this has changed from when you started it now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's a huge thing. It's a when they say a tent pole event for the NFL. It's a big big deal now and I mean it's on TV, and it didn't you speak on TV.
Speaker 7: You used to speak out free for all, like when I first started, when you were a scouting assistant. When it started at like, in order to interview players, you had to like fight for guys.
Speaker 6: It wasn't organized. There wasn't formal interviews or anything.
Speaker 7: So you'd be fighting other scouting assistants to get interview these guys for your coaches.
Speaker 6: There would be fist fights, there would be like guys.
Speaker 7: Pushing, punching, yelling, Like I had a guy like chasing after me for like three days that took the guy that he wanted in order to interview for our coaches.
Speaker 6: So a lots of change. It's a lot more organized.
Speaker 7: It's a lot bigger event, like you said, but there was no I mean, there was no fanfare to it at all.
Speaker 1: Well, out of speaking of fights, I don't know if you heard this mor sewn, there was a fight last night or the night before in Indy between two media members, Jordan Schultz and Ian Rappaport got in a fight, ironically at a Starbucks. And Jordan's dad is, I can't make this up, bro. They got in a fight at a Starbucks? Yes, because they were they got I don't know what what, I don't know what happened, but these motherfuckers getting a fight at a Starbucks at four o'clock in the afternoon during the combat.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 4: Yes, man, So hold on, do they still I mean I can remember they They was measuring every goddamn thing on this.
Speaker 2: They measure your hand like that, They measure every fuck like this in.
Speaker 6: Reach you know, they measure your joints. They measure Yeah, they do.
Speaker 4: Oh it sounds like it's gotten even more extensive. I remember, Wayne.
Speaker 6: Span as you do do your arm.
Speaker 7: They just they just introduced wingspan like a few of you, like maybe five ten years ago.
Speaker 4: What I mean, I don't ship, man, I just remember sitting back there behind this little fucking curtain and motherfuckers talking about ut yep. They go to meet and all you can hear and from out the crowd is like I mean, the it was like an auditorium. I guess with all these you just heard Hella righting on them.
Speaker 2: What the fuck going on out here?
Speaker 4: Like, man, they got motherfuckers on the chopping block, Like, what the fuck going on?
Speaker 3: Sean.
Speaker 1: The funniest part is that these guys get you know, they get to interview players for fifteen minutes, as you know, or maybe it wasn't back then, but is now and I never forget like these these are the meetings. And again I'm not going to name any gams or personnel people, of course, but they'll ask some young kids, so, you know, do you drink, do your part a lot?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 1: And you know, kids gonna you know, no, I don't smoke pot or I don't drink that much, whatever, And these guys will kind of get in them like I've heard you do this, I've heard you do that. And then I see these same gms at two in the morning that are damn near passed out in the hallway the hotel, can't find the room they're in or there they're far and I'm like, listen, you were the fucking same guy that grilled my client about partying too much as a nineteen year old. You're fifty five years old and you can't even make back your room.
Speaker 3: You've been drink drinking so much? Is am I right?
Speaker 2: Adham.
Speaker 7: I've seen guys asleep on the couch in the lobby as we're going to the wig ins in the morning and there's like everybody's walking by them talking and this dude is sound asleep on a bench in the lobby because they didn't know how to get back to their room.
Speaker 6: That happens every single year.
Speaker 1: Yet more, Shawn, these guys are then are now downgrading players in college for these same things that they're doing.
Speaker 3: So it's a little hypocritical. It's gotten better over time, I.
Speaker 1: Believe at them, right, Yeah, but it's still funny. So, Marshaun, here's a funny story. So last year, Adam gets the job and there's a steakhouse here called Saint Elmo Steakhouse, real famous steakhouse. It's like nineteen forty two, and we go there for a big dinner.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 1: It's a late dinner and it's it's me and Adam and six seven other people, and we're sitting there and having some you know, having some drinks, not even that much food, and so, you know, about midnight, the bill comes and the waitress puts the bill next to me and I look at I'm like, I'm sorry, I think that must.
Speaker 3: Be for the wedding. There's a wedding rehearsal in the other room.
Speaker 1: And all of a sudden, I look up and she's still sitting there and she's like, no, this is your bill, And I said it was sixty nine hundred dollars, and I'm thinking to myself, we have no bottle of wine.
Speaker 3: None of us even had miy steaks.
Speaker 1: I said, I think this is the wrong check, and she's like, no, this is the right check. And I said, well, how do you figure? And she's like, well, you ordered this tequila and so you know the class Zool, the blue tequila that's used like fifty bucks a glass, no matter where in the country, maybe it's forty bucks, fifty sixty whatever.
Speaker 3: She's like, no, no, you ordered the.
Speaker 1: Classe Zuol Ultro Nueva black bottle tequila. And this was six hundred and seventy five dollars a glass.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I had like six or seven of them myself.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh my god. And I said no, no, no, I didn't order this. She's like, yes, you did. I said, all right. Was your manager around and she's like no. And so I didn't want to make a big deal. So I paid the bill. I come back the next day and I said, listen, I don't want to be the guy that like has the bill. I says, not about the money. I got the money, Yes I do, mar Sean, I says, not about the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it. For me.
Speaker 1: Yes I did. I said, but listen, here's the deal. I didn't order this damn tequila. And I and he's and they're like, well, we're gonna check the video monitors. I said, listen, no disrespect to Indiana, no disrespect to Saint Elmo's.
Speaker 3: Okay, But if I was to.
Speaker 1: Order this bottle, I'd want to be in a yacht santra Pe. I'd want this bottle coming out with dancing girls and sparklers. I want the bottle at my table. I didn't order this damn bottle. So this went on for a month. We had to investigate this order, and finally the managerer called me back about a month later, said I'm sorry, mister Hendrickson, you right, you did not order this.
Speaker 3: What should we do?
Speaker 1: And I said, listen, I'll make it easy and he charged me one fifty glass. I'll still tip the waitress. She was fantastic. Credit me like four thousand bucks. But those are the kind of stories that evolved from the combine. And that was that was That was a good one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to point there, buddy. You got to point there, buddy.
Speaker 3: That's some shit, Adam.
Speaker 1: Any any stories like that, you can remember besides that one with me last year that.
Speaker 7: Was the most recent for sure. I think I told one earlier where I mean I got chasing me around all week because the like I'd look over my shoulder and this motherfucker be staring at me because I took his player that he wanted to interview. And it was literally for four days, I had a guy chasing me around the whole times. It was really fucking weird, and it was like, dude, what are we doing here, Like it's not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Hold on it is it still at that it was?
Speaker 4: We was in like I think it was like a train station that they turned into the whole.
Speaker 3: Teap same place more, same place.
Speaker 6: This guy would chase me around, the trains still in there right now. They don't do it anymore.
Speaker 7: They do everything in the dome now, but it's the same kind of thing, but it's a lot more civilized the train.
Speaker 4: Station where you ain't got people chasing your ass down for your interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When I was I went to Combine, look I had about you know, I was in some I was in some ship or I had some shit going on. So I had to meet with all thirty two teams, and I had to tell that story all thirty two fucking times, and I just, oh my god. I remember coming back like motherfucker's like, yeah, man, man, I met with like five teams, and I'm like, I feel like, what the fuck.
Speaker 6: Kind of man?
Speaker 2: Well? Who? Man?
Speaker 4: I gotta go talk to my agent because I know this shit ain't right. What you mean five teams?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: Man with thirty two fucking teams today, Like, man, I'm tired as fuck. And then we got to go out there and run the show. My man, I was hot than a motherfucker, Like god damn.
Speaker 2: But then that's why I tell.
Speaker 4: Doug as he said, well, I mean, you know that's the penalty you gotta pay for doing dumb shit.
Speaker 1: It sure is, Marchamp, but guess what, guess what you evolved? Just fine, you battle through it. And speaking of the combine, Adam, I know you have to run to go go back to interview players and to go basically watch some more forties and whatnot. But listen, a man, I'm really proud of you. You've built an incredible team and you've made it to the pinnacle. Okay, now you got to go win the Super Bowl in two or three or four.
Speaker 6: That's right there. That's the pinnacle. That is the pinnacle.
Speaker 1: You've done it, Bro, and I I just appreciate the grind in battle to make it through a junior college U c l a walk on grind, your scrapp or scout, driving your car through the through the Upper West and Pacific Northwest and now being in the big chair. And by the way, he got a good view there. You must have a nice suite at him. I think your owner might have some money.
Speaker 6: Huh, he's got a little bit.
Speaker 2: He got a couple of doubts. Hey, man, go get a deal done with Bobby too, Man.
Speaker 6: I know I just texted him earlier. We're working on it.
Speaker 2: Go get a deal done with Bobby.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: He's hard Marshall, he's a good negotiator, man.
Speaker 2: Real, Yeah, I mean that's my that's my son. Man.
Speaker 1: I read out of here's the deal. Why in closing at him? Why don't you get Bobby on FaceTime today? Put more Shawn on the FaceTime of Bobby and you can you can do the deal with Bobby and Marshawn.
Speaker 4: I want to reach out to him now, but as I just seen him over the Super Bowl, I'm like, I'm actually when he gonna hang it up?
Speaker 2: He like, hang it up?
Speaker 4: Oh, man, I ain't going no, God damn. Where I said, all right, was s it? Man, go ahead and get a deal done with my boy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: He's special, man.
Speaker 4: I know, worry about him. So they used to competition Wednesday. They used to like punching at the ball and all that shit. And Bobby was young. He was coming up trying to hit on me and shit and not just telling hey, Bobby, hey, you gotta learn how to practice, bro, And I walk away. He looking at me like what the fuck is he talking about? He come up and do it again. But as he was coming up to me and trying to punch the ball, I just stopped and I dropped it in front of him. He looked at me like, what you doing. I said, I told you learn how to practice. Don't be coming up trying to hit on me, motherfucker. I gotta to make it to Sunday. He like, oh that's what I said, Yeah, motherfucker. If I waste all my hits on you, then I don't have nothing for Sunday. Like, man, they make me do it. Man, you're gonna get me in trouble. I said, well, look, man, you either get in trouble during the week or we're gonna be in trouble on Sunday.
Speaker 2: How you want to play it?
Speaker 4: He said, Man, I'm finna learn how to practice. He did.
Speaker 2: Man, smart, smartest hell but he.
Speaker 4: He actually he actually is is is Yeah, I mean one of the greatest that I've seen do it, and one that I played with.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, go take care of my boy.
Speaker 1: Man, go find some more players out him, Go find some more players.
Speaker 6: All right, I got one more for you, Doug. You're ready, Yes, we'll go.
Speaker 7: Top five Barrier Rappers. Marshan, you're out of this, Dug. I don't think you don't.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead more Sean, No.
Speaker 6: It's his Now, I'm gonna see what you got.
Speaker 2: Who I got?
Speaker 6: Who's number one for me? Yeah, wrapping around rapping, I got mac.
Speaker 3: Dra number two, Marshawan.
Speaker 4: All now, if you just going, I mean, because it's the ways you could go about this.
Speaker 5: I'm a little older than you too, so you know you got a little further back you got. He's a mess. You got mess for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I think the one of the originators and and still fucking good.
Speaker 6: Is too short.
Speaker 2: See that's cheating.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean you want to go underground. You want to go like rb Oposse.
Speaker 2: You want to go like dra Dogs, like Andre Higgs. Yeah, yeah, you gotta go dray Dog. You dog for sure.
Speaker 4: Just the fact that you said that, I'll give you the pass. You can say one time right now, you dog baby?
Speaker 3: Sean? Who else? Give me some mother? Gi me two more more? Sean?
Speaker 2: You said two more? Yeah? Where you want to go?
Speaker 4: You want to you want to go into the Bay or you want to go in in in Oakland.
Speaker 6: Yeah you can go. Let's go Oakland.
Speaker 2: I want to go to Oakland. I'm gonna go a group.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go two groups, The Loney's in the Delinquents.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: It sucks because they're just known for one song, but many like it came out, I.
Speaker 2: Mean world wide. They known for one song. But she yeah at home. Yeah it's a little different. You know.
Speaker 7: You know one guy that I always think about and he's not a he's not a rapper, but he was the producer.
Speaker 6: You remember Kyrie. Kyrie.
Speaker 7: See he did all the stuff for mac tre for mac mall for like real Love Like.
Speaker 6: He did all the beats. He did all the beats, and he just disappeared off the face of the earth.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know what I told you, you get you get one pass.
Speaker 2: You get one, you get one pass.
Speaker 6: Never using a buddy, you never. Oh, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Okay you really are you really an old school Yeah? You really old school Bay Area.
Speaker 1: I respect it, Adam. I appreciate that right there. That is that is really fucking cool, bro.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hey, he had dou I know, look, and he excluded you for a reason.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying. I don't. I don't know any of those fucking guys, I got it.
Speaker 6: I love the insane down to E p A remember them. Yeah, it might be too old for you.
Speaker 2: Nah, hell no, you're right. You gotta. You got band aid and school the hood stars out of E p A too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mister fab you know obviously toes.
Speaker 4: Out there, uh out out that way was saying oh or something like that. But yeah, man, but then you start getting back this way. Yeah, that's that's real ship. I mean, you know, I could go younger too, but yeah, I don't know any of the new stuff.
Speaker 7: We had a couple of guys on our team, like one of ducks clients, Jeremy mc nicholas put.
Speaker 6: Me on some new guys.
Speaker 7: I gotta start listening to that, man, because I'm like, I just listened to ship that I grew up with.
Speaker 2: Man, I understand it.
Speaker 4: But you you went and you went in your uh you went in your bag, my boy. A lot of respect, man, and congratulations on the success that you've been having.
Speaker 2: And I know you because you got to.
Speaker 4: You got a good group over there.
Speaker 2: Really, you got a good group over there.
Speaker 4: I mean with with with with d Q quarterback Bobby right in.
Speaker 6: Man, you'd be right. I mean, this is this is the kind of guys you like. Man.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we do with Mo Shaun all over.
Speaker 4: I could give you a play, No, I couldn't look that. When I came out of retirement for the Seahawks. The last time I.
Speaker 6: Remember that was with the Niners, and y'all had him.
Speaker 4: I don't know who the fuck was y'all left d n and a big motherfucker, big, big motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I came out and tried to hit him with that little chip before I got into the fucking flat.
Speaker 2: Oh, my whole right side went up.
Speaker 4: Why, I ran straight to the I chipped him and ran straight to the sideline, took a knee, like man, hold on. These little motherfuckers built different.
Speaker 6: Yeah that was in Seattle, right, that was when we're in Seattle. Yeah, yeah, I remember that because we were like wondering, why is he not in the game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that motherfucker.
Speaker 4: My whole right side of my body was numb than a motherfuck the game, wondering what Man. I went to the sideline for like two plays and I while I'm down there on my while I'm down there on the knee, they give me water more shan you all right? I'm like yeah, you know, just shaking back into it. And the whole time I had the fucking epiphany come to my mind. Pee, I could be on my couch right now watching this game, smoking a blunt with a shot of Hennessy, and I'm out here trying to hit this big motherfucker light. Oh man, I had to shake that ship real quick, come back to terms, like all right, let's get back into the game. But then we went and you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They trick so well, Adam, listen, you gotta run, buddy. Uh, what a way to end it? On the on the Barrier rappers. Man, that's awesome. I appreciate the knowledge. You're welcome with more Shawn and Oakland anytime and season.
Speaker 6: Thanks guys, thanks for the time. MANI