Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 1: Thank you take valantility.
Speaker 3: We are the authority on all things R and B.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tank Valentine.
Speaker 3: This is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, my guy can do all things. You better be able to play? You better be able to play it all things? Can you write it? Can write? Can you produce it? All things? Can you dj? Can you perform it? All things?
Speaker 3: Your guy's not better than my guy because my guys, my guy Mars Max.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was amazing.
Speaker 3: Truly gifted, true And what's crazy is that? Hold on, how did you get the name my guy Mars? Okay, so it started with Mars. My name is Lamar.
Speaker 4: So I've always been known to do things different than most people or if you know, with our production company or you know our band, and like, yo, let's try it this way. I'm like, let's try it the left way, like you know what I'm saying. So it was always me doing that. So that kind of came like you know what, I'm gonna call you, Mars. You always You're just not on this world.
Speaker 1: My homegirl. Tavia from the IVY she was like, Yo, I'm gonna call you Mars.
Speaker 4: You always just going against everything that, Like, I like that, you know what I'm saying, So I just start it was just Mars and the my guy thing came from Tyresse believe it or not.
Speaker 1: My guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like under the dark days, you know whatever, whatever, you know. Yeah, it just kind of happened like that.
Speaker 3: I feel like my guy is organic to you period. Like anytime somebody says, you know, Mars, what's my guy, it followed, it follows Nigga, that's my guy. And that's like universal right where everybody says, that's my guy.
Speaker 1: And that's hard to have.
Speaker 3: In this industry and in these streets where everybody has that kind of reverence people with how dope of a guy you are.
Speaker 1: People really really fun with you.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean, outside of like saying it and endorsing it, you know what I'm saying. Like, I think that's one of the main things too, like being known for you know, saying it like.
Speaker 1: In the sentiment of it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Man, I think that kind of like plays a lot into just the name. But it's like more of like the experience like what I what I represent Absolutely absolutely, I haven't met anyone who's had a bad experience with you.
Speaker 1: There it is. That's that's really sure I have.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's somebody out there that can't wait to comment in the comedy.
Speaker 1: Nah see, I'm telling you that nigga, I can't wait. I can't wait to address it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we will address you because this is our guy.
Speaker 1: Mars.
Speaker 3: You do everything bro almost like you're like you're as Jay likes to say, you're a real Swiss army knife that part man. In the rooms you've been in that you've been creative in your input has been necessary. As you say, you have this thing where you're able to see something completely different than what everybody else is saying. Right, and your discography reflects that.
Speaker 1: I can hear it.
Speaker 4: I know left when I hear it, no facts, you know what I'm saying. I know I know when a nigga is not right in his mind, you know what I'm saying, Making something like why would he?
Speaker 2: That's what makes you stand out in music though, honestly and being able to stand on that ledge sometimes because you know it's easy for niggas to be like, man, I don't fuck with that, and now I don't fuck with him because this ship is too you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But you're well versed in what you do as well.
Speaker 2: It's not like you're just some guy who's just Since everybody is saying this, I just want to say something different.
Speaker 1: No, I actually can break it down to you right exactly.
Speaker 2: I have the information exactly because everybody don't got the information. And to get the information, you got to do time in this ship.
Speaker 4: And that's yeah, I think that's the important part. I think that's something that isn't as present, you know what I'm saying nowadays because a lot of people h you can fast track your.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and tell them that they take a shortcut.
Speaker 4: You fast tracked your way to success nowadays, and it was like, I'll literally he was privileged enough. And that's why I think this is like, this is amazing and beautiful because it's like I was influenced by and have been influenced by both of you, you know what I'm saying, in different ways. And I also have been able to work and see you work, you know what I'm saying. So it's like back then, if I was just talking about this earlier.
Speaker 1: If you wasn't in the room, you didn't know what was going on in the room. You know what I'm saying. We didn't have the phone, and you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: All of that ship it was like your nigga would put pull out a camera back in the days.
Speaker 1: And Michael.
Speaker 3: Fast Quincy in this joint, Quincy right there, Quincy Jones here, he's scoring ship.
Speaker 1: It's like hard ship and nigger Mike Leig, Mike.
Speaker 3: Something, mess with your nose, man. Your nose is spine. Everybody tell Michael's knows the spine, Like that's how we live in a while, That's what's going on now.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And it distracts, you know, the process as well as just like you know, you just don't get the same education. You know what I'm saying. I got to see the education. I got to see you guys writing the songs. I got to see Harvey vocal producer. I got to see Damon doing shit. I got to see everything, like how the greatest songs that people love are made and the songs that I grew up listening to are made. And you know, being a church musician being somebody that's told coming into the industry, you can't do this, you can't do that.
Speaker 1: I was doing all the left shit. I was, and the left ship really is just like.
Speaker 4: Your experience, like your character who you are, church gangster shit, you know what I'm saying. And it's like I ain't a gang member, but it's like being around niggas that you know, I.
Speaker 1: Can tell their stories musically.
Speaker 4: That's how you you know, being able to create a sound for Nipsey or be able to be the only producer that Nipsey would endorse or the only production company that Nipsey would endorse. All the music had to come through us, you know what I'm saying, because we understand the experience, we understand who the artist is, we know how to convey it, and there may be something that gravitates to him or something that he likes about the beat. But it's like, how can we put it into you know, our turns? How can it be in La on Crenshaw? How can it sound like it looked? You know what I'm saying. So I think that was the dope thing that I got to see from y'all. It was like the experience and then I was able to take that and practice that and have it take you down. And you know what I'm saying, all these different moments that I'm practicing and like witnessing this ship in real time, and that's that's the experience and the ship that I, uh, you know, advocate. Now it's like for people to really educate themselves. Now we got YouTube. You can literally go look at a thousand videos on there's no reason not to have, you know, any type of education on any subject.
Speaker 1: For that.
Speaker 2: Man, let's let's talk about that there. Let's let's let's go back right. Let's let's go back to South Central. Let's go back to LA in the beginning for you, you know, as Tank says, you know when someone or when you yourself identified that you were going to be special in this thing and this is something that you wanted to do with your life, because this isn't always everybody's choice, especially when you're a little kid. And I've known you a long time. You've always been in music. It's been years, you know what I mean. Like you've done your ten thousand hours two or three times. You know, you've done it, you know what I mean? So you know, can you give us, you know, just a rundown of growing up in la growing up in the church, and then what y'all grew up around this whole time.
Speaker 4: My experience of church was different because my dad was like the nigga and gospel.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, like, you know, he was the person and it's like, you know, I see a lot of him and myself now, you know what I'm saying looking back, But yeah, he like you know, had the album, started a record company with my name in the nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: But he was the only person that was like bringing Thomas.
Speaker 4: Whitfield out here, bringing John p Key, bringing uh Fred Hammond, bringing you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He was cool with all of these people.
Speaker 4: He was the only person on Maddy Moss Clark album that wrote a song like she she.
Speaker 1: Writes all her music, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: She loved my dad so much she took his song, took him under, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So this was like a whole thing.
Speaker 4: Clifton Netwards, Clifton Edwards, junr So and I've just seen Uncle Charlie and he's like.
Speaker 1: Man, I know who you want to clift the son.
Speaker 4: So it's crazy because people know me in that world from that. But growing up, it was like I ain't know what who, none of them niggas was. I just know I'm in church and this sounds crazy, you know what I'm saying. Like this, like I grew up around. Yeah, it wasn't like a regular.
Speaker 1: Level.
Speaker 4: And they're doing constant your dad's church. This is my grandfather's. My dad was, you know, working their minister music doing you know, all of that and doing concerts and stuff. So how I met Warren was my cousin, Dwan David Grimico Warren.
Speaker 1: We're in the group.
Speaker 4: So's the Zion and they my dad like let them, you know, perform at the church.
Speaker 1: So that was like they first you know, the Johnson sisters, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So it's hard like no them moving on. But this was my four years old five years old, you know, being in production. Yeah, and I'm like what is going on? So I'm just around the drums every day, like I just know I want to be a part of something over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I started being around the drums, start playing the drums, around like four or five.
Speaker 1: I started, I could, you know, play the drums standing up whatever? Carry service.
Speaker 4: Then my dad did another live recording, uh around like ten or eleven, my first live recording. I want my son to play, you know what I'm saying. So all the pressure on me. I'm like, okay, cool, I play. Do the live recording. Then somebody donates the organ to the church that Sunday, I'm playing the drums.
Speaker 1: My dad is like, lamar, get on the organ. You never played, never played the organ ever. I played the piano, literally, because that is a very different instrument. Yeah, like sister Fanny donated the organ. Get on the organ? Like what So I go on the organ and he just starts.
Speaker 4: Singing, start following.
Speaker 1: No, I did not, no, no, I was sweating.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, I'm looking at drawbars and it's two different kid.
Speaker 1: Did you feel arms come across your shoulders?
Speaker 4: There was none of that was over there and the orion was all the way over here. And to add insult to injury, my dad, thinking he's helping, is calling out all the things I should play.
Speaker 1: So you're telling, you're telling the audience in the church.
Speaker 4: Church, I don't know what I'm doing while I'm figuring out that I don't know what I'm doing, and then gonna make me play.
Speaker 1: The song like e flat No, that's flat e flat major okay, yep, man two F minor. Like he doing that through the whole song. He instead of just going over there playing in itself. I hold the mic like with service. That's a different school. That's every day.
Speaker 4: I went to the church and I practiced the organ, and it's my favorite instrument now. But that was like the first time I played, so you know, by that time I had figured out, Okay, I got a drum set, I got keys, and it's an organ at the church. So every Christmas and Birthday I ask for a different instrument. So that's kind of how I start learning how to play everything else. But once I got to the point of making beats, it was on accident. Somebody else donated the keyboard to my to the church.
Speaker 1: Shout out to the donation.
Speaker 4: My dad's friend, Ron Thomas. Shout out to Ron Thomas. So he donates the Trinity to the church. Come on, Trinity, I'm playing in Trinity. I'm in the vibe now, I'm playing keys. Me and my cousin are my rest in peace. It's it's a two band, but it sounds like it's four or five of us, Like I'm playing. I got to figure it out now. One day I'm at the church and I accidentally pressed the record button like the sequence button, and it just went to a whole nother screen and I was like, oh, shoot, like I don't know you know what I'm saying. I ain't know how to get back or nothing. So I'm just like trying to figure it out. And that's how I start like learning how to make beats. And it was never like let me do what I'm thinking. It was like, all right, let me see if I can do something like like the radio. So I'm practicing crush on you, but I practice crush on you until I get it like immaculate, like exactly like sounds at the church.
Speaker 1: Yeah, You're practicing crush on you at the church.
Speaker 4: I'm practicing the music crush trying to figure what you.
Speaker 1: I wasn't I wasn't play play offer had a girl friend or something and did a little shout out like so anxious my dad keep it church, like how you know what it is? Then I'm playing. I'm like I'm supposed to be getting white.
Speaker 4: Was supposed to know now ye man my head, yeah yeah, lose my train you started sequencing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was crush on you. Yeah, so boom.
Speaker 4: I finally get it, dope, and I'm like, you know, before service, I'm like having my homies coming around.
Speaker 1: Like all right, look tell me what this is.
Speaker 4: Boom boom or then I started asking them what what beat should I make? You know, So that's kind of how I start like making beats. But I never really thought about like making beats for artists. I never thought about producing like my own nothing. I just I was just making music. And after I after I graduated. I graduated high school earlier, my dad was very adamant about giving me out the house.
Speaker 1: So he's like.
Speaker 4: His his thing was like when we wear the same size, one of us got to go.
Speaker 2: So he was like, wow, yeah, so my son my side damn to kick him out, kick him out.
Speaker 4: Finish to the rules of why graduated early, I'm like, okay, well, when we had independent study, this is like I don't even want to go into the whole thing.
Speaker 1: But the short version is my dad low Keith thought I was special because the teachers will.
Speaker 4: Always say Lamar's. Lamar is so bright and he always does great on all of his work. But he's always like beating and doing stuff in class. And like in my head, we didn't have no voice recorders, we had no phones, no voice memos, none of that. So I always have beats that I heard and try to like do the beat from first, yeriod, remember second, all the way until I got to the church. Then when I get to the church, I can record the b but nobody. I can't explain that to you, back to your parents, they have it like a rubbers So I'm like, I'm like, you know, just going through this, and then I go through, you know, the whole thing where I'm sitting in a class with you know, people with hilm it's and all kinds, and I'm like, I know I'm not supposed to be here, but you know, then it.
Speaker 2: Gets He was in the class television him and Robert glasspoo I was watching home alone.
Speaker 1: Man. Man, these schools don't know.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: It was a crazy experience, bro, And I mean it didn't last long because my mom, Thank God for my mom, a praying mom and a wonderful my mom is the best. Like I probably wouldn't be alive if get myself out this little TV because she's like, if you don't get yeah. So you know, later I went on independent study, go on to independent study, and Nissan caused me to go out for.
Speaker 1: Aliyah the Nissan. Yeah. I was like sixteen and I freaking love.
Speaker 4: I was like crazy about it, and my dad was My dad already knew, so he like talked to like yeah, and Lamar got to finish his school like he can't, you know, boom boom, boom boom. So I'm like, all right, cool, so doing doing you know, doing my school work.
Speaker 1: Boom boom.
Speaker 4: Then I'm about to finish graduating. Of course, the tragic thing happened, and I'm like low key mad at my high key mad at my dad, you know what I'm saying. But at the same time, I like really was like dang, like I just want to make music, you know what I'm saying like that, because that was the only thing that was like would take me away from every I had a keyboard in my room. I'll just be in there all day long, just playing calling homies, Hey, what's this core?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like it was no Instagram. It was very like experimental, you know what I'm saying. So saying all that to say when I when I graduated, I finished school early and I moved. I was in Lancaster, so we moved from Inglewood ninety second event that's to Lancaster, finished school out there, did school out there, and then I came back out here to North Hollywood. Met this lady at the bank the first day I set up my bank account.
Speaker 1: She was trying to hit on me. I found out later as I got older, but she.
Speaker 4: Was you know, oh, where are you going to do? Boom on story short. Yeah, I got a studio across the street. I'm like, all right, cool, she had a studio. She had a studio. Her and her husband owned it. So she's like, yeah, come come to the studio. I have one producer there, but you know she's kind of hardly there or whatever whatever. The producer ends up being d Smock's cousin, which I don't know at the time.
Speaker 1: See no, So I get to the studio, they got all this shit in there.
Speaker 4: I lose my shit. I just start going crazy. Just she like, oh yeah, she called her husband boo. All right, So look, if you can get us fifteen beats like a year, or like a beat a month, then you can have the studio for free. This is like the I just met this lady. So I'm like, all right, cool, she give me the keys. I go in the studio that night. I make the fifteen beats that night, Bernie on CD.
Speaker 1: This is what CD is. I made.
Speaker 4: I think it was like eighteen burning CD. Gave it to her Boom. Now I'm in Now, I'm in the studio. It's yours, my studio. Me and see no, you know, shared it like he'll be in there every now and again. But I was in there like pretty much all the time. This is where the weed and all the ship comes in because the homies start coming through.
Speaker 1: You know. I got my own studio in here, just making me you fresh out eyes. I'm seventeen, are you ain't even eighteen years?
Speaker 4: Yeah, seventeen. So I'm staying up the street by that Denny's. I was signed to Warn exactly. I was signed to Warren to my block so we would go out. Uh well this was later later I got signed to Warren, but before Fever is right around the corner, right, so my apartment is right there.
Speaker 1: By the day.
Speaker 2: Are you a church musician at this point, Yeah, you're playing in the church. That's how that's how you surviving.
Speaker 4: I'm playing in the church from all the whole time. Like once I started getting paid, it was probably around like fifteen sixteen or something like that.
Speaker 1: You're making at the church.
Speaker 4: My dad was paying me, like at first, you know, it was like, we give you like seventy five dollars, you know, didn't get one hundred dollars. And then I know he was getting seventy five dollars. Then my uncle it was like, yo, you mind if I take Lamar to this church down the street before church. It's only for like, you know, an hour. So you're like, yeah, you can go whatever whatever. So I go and do the church gig. They paying me one hundred dollars. I'll come back and talk to the pastor, which is my dad. My guy, my god, my guys paying guys.
Speaker 1: They paying the five. I need the five. He ain't trying to pay the five, My god, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: So that's how you know, start getting leveraged and then negotiations. Yeah, now obviously other pastors would come and you know preaching, man.
Speaker 1: Your son is yeah, he could come play at my church. I'll give him three fifty.
Speaker 4: I'm hearing the conversations like oh, I'm seeing my value, like oh this is okay, Like you know, so when I move out.
Speaker 1: It was one of those pastors that was like uh that I had a church that was like yo, man, you know you move boom boom. Hit him up.
Speaker 4: So now I'm making like I think I think he was giving me like six hundred a week. What And like my rent was, he is so jealous right now, my rent, I'm well, it was like it was it was like he's too.
Speaker 1: It was two fifty of service.
Speaker 4: We did two services on that Sunday and then I had to go like play praise and worship for like ten.
Speaker 1: Minutes for like one hundred and fifty dollars or something like that. I never church.
Speaker 3: I never got more than one hundred and fifty for us for an entire Sunday.
Speaker 1: These were different times though, to Tanks.
Speaker 3: It's the same Jesus, We'll see what.
Speaker 1: I want to do it do it.
Speaker 2: I knew guys from the church, but I never I never seen it from a California since right because the Bay Area church is different than the La Church. Our churches is different, you know, like it's it's not like you don't really do both in the Bay, either your street nigga or your church nigga. You're not a church street nigga in the Bay. In l A, it mixes, you know what I mean, Like literally it mixes. Where It's like they was on they were fresh on the block to now playing in the church. We don't got no gangster musicians, not for us. I never knew them now, you know, I'm sure some niggas gonna be.
Speaker 1: In the common like nigga I've been in the hood. Organ. Okay, you're confirming everything, confirming the same thing. For me.
Speaker 3: That was the first time I saw when I came to La Yeah, I was like, I was like that nigga Robs Banks and he can play.
Speaker 2: But it really is something different out here though, you know what I mean. So you know, please tell a story, bro, like how did y'all get to the Edmunds Building? How did y'all get to the Edmunds Building?
Speaker 1: Uh? Honestly, Like.
Speaker 4: To be truthful, Damon really took a liking to me and and.
Speaker 1: Like the production and the stuff that I was doing at the time.
Speaker 4: It was I was a little I've always been more musical, but at that time, like I told you, there was a lot of people that were telling me, you know, when you produce, you can't do this.
Speaker 1: You can't you know what I'm saying. So what were they tell you not to do? I mean, like, okay, so I was signed a warn right and like he he was basically telling me, like all the ship that I was doing was fire, but I have to find a way to make it fit.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what that meant at that time, so I just equated that as don't do that ship gotcha. So it was like, all right, let me do something that's safe and you know whatever around here. And I was doing whatever I wanted with joy, like as far as not physically. And those songs were the songs that everybody was loving. Like I did a song called Energy Kerry Hilson, like all these it was just songs we were doing that. Everybody was like, yo, this sounds crazy. So Damon was hearing, you know, everybody was hearing these songs like and he was like, yo, I really love like you know what you're doing, like like the musical you know, Damon?
Speaker 2: So he s you know, Damon has an amazing eye for talent, amazing eye for talent here, you know what I mean and understanding like who's next?
Speaker 1: And you know what I mean, like he's he's special in that space. Yeah, so you know for him to you know, So do you meet Damon before you met Tyres?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm at I'm at Tyree's first, okay.
Speaker 2: And then so is how you got to the building there? Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: And we were kind of just like you know, of course we got the same parking lot.
Speaker 1: Mike is banging on me every day, you know, the security guard. Are you here to were you here to see him? Mikes me again.
Speaker 4: So, you know, as I'm going on the second flace, you know, naturally, sometimes I see tanks, sometimes I see Eric, you know, and I'm like, I don't want to say nothing.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, I like, nig love, I know what to do. I was like, what am I doing with my hands? I was like, fuck it.
Speaker 4: We're just going in the room doing the ship. And one day I think I seen Hi Damon and we were talking outside and he was like, oh, yeah, I know, you know, ain't you boom boom, and Warren and Da Da Da, and you know what I'm saying, Like, you know the conversation, He's like, man, you know, come up to the floor.
Speaker 1: So we came up to the floor. What I didn't know was that you had to sign some ship and or be signed. I didn't know that either.
Speaker 4: When I came there, but y'all niggas was already a part of It's like.
Speaker 1: For new niggas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, nigga, you gotta when you come up here, you gotta sign some ship. When you come on the floor, nigga, before you you're not seeing it's a door that's closed.
Speaker 1: You don't know what's behind the door.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's a desk. It's a nice young lady right there. Sign this ship and go past the ship. I never signed the ship, okay, but I always called Damon, was like, yo, I'm.
Speaker 1: Right here at the give me. I don't want to sign this.
Speaker 4: So you know, so that created the the you know, the bond and the way that I was coming on the floor. You know what I'm saying now, everybody else I don't know, but that's how I like start, you know, coming and just seeing what was going on and meet Eric and you know, Tony, you know what I'm saying, start kicking it with Rob Knox, and Rob Knox kind.
Speaker 1: Of like showed showed me the play, you know what I'm saying, because he was there.
Speaker 4: All right, this is the room, like, don't ever go in there. They're always working in there. Boom boom, that's when they're writing. This is you can always come in my room. And that's Damon's room. All right, cool, all right, boom, Damon come out, hey man, you can go on my room. So I would just be in his room trying to figure shit out, and it was like that's literally yeah Osburgers, and that's literally like where and how I may take you down because he just let me come up on the floor and I'm just, you know, figuring it out, like there was no reason for me to be there, but just to learn and be wild by all.
Speaker 1: The niggas that I respected. Story behind. Take you down, Yeah, take you down? Okay, Yeah, I'm in Damon's room and.
Speaker 4: I went downstairs to get high because you can't smoke in the studio, which I hated. So I went downstairs, propped the door, get hort or whatever. I come upstairs and I hear the beat in my head while I'm smoking and shit, so I'm like, all right, cool, I just hear that, like.
Speaker 1: Like I all right, I go back upstairs.
Speaker 4: I don't know this shit because I do, you know, MPCs and keyboards and shiit. This was my introduction to using a doll you know what I'm saying, digital audio workstation and we were using logic, so it's just a keyboard and logic. I'm like, fuck, let me just hear so I'll just go through the ship. I think it was some rob kno kids loaded in there. I'm just doing shit until I find the ship that I you know, do so I do that shit, do.
Speaker 1: The beat, build out the rest of it. It's just going. It's going.
Speaker 4: And then I get to the part where I want to go to the next section and the MIDI sustain is like just going and I don't know how to put stop there. So I'm like, I don't want to say I'm too prideful, but I was. I didn't want to go until somebody these niggas session up or as one of you elite as niggas.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm on the bench over here. How do you open this gatorade? Like how do you open? So I'm like, all right, I'm gonna figure this out. So I'm up there just trying to figure it.
Speaker 4: Out, and I'm like, fuck it, I'm gonna just move all the ship to it just die out so on the part so that stay.
Speaker 1: So when it does the it's like dud.
Speaker 4: Ship. That wasn't on purpose. That was a real accident. And I just didn't want to tell niggas like like I accidentally did that, or how do you fix that?
Speaker 1: Nobody said that they like it.
Speaker 3: The bubbles at New Bubbles after they sustained already know what.
Speaker 1: You I didn't know how to drag spliced it even know, you know.
Speaker 4: So so when I get to that part after I paced it, I you know, play it again.
Speaker 1: I turn it up a little bit. Damon comes in the room like literally like seven minutes after I'm like doing it. He's like, yo, what is this. I'm like, I don't know, like just trying to do something like this is going on Chris Brown. And then he.
Speaker 4: Walked out the room, no cap, and I was like, nigga, yeah right, you know what I'm saying. I'm thinking about hair like like that never happens, right, nobody tells you like I'm going to do this and then they do it. That doesn't happen. So I just finished the ship and didn't know that Damon took what I did. They finished, and they did, the bridge went up in a they went and y'all ended up writing and doing all the shit. And I'm on the second floor, you know, regular business, and my lawyer called me like, hey, do you have a single coming out on Chris Brown? I was like, uh no, no, Well do I remember the conference? I was like no, I don't think so I was like, wait do I He was like, we just got something from the Underdog saying that you know, I'm just like this, Yeah, Like Damon was the first person that told me that I'm going to do this, and he did it.
Speaker 1: And that's why I don't.
Speaker 4: Care what what nobody think.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 4: If Damon called me today, I'm going to answer the phone.
Speaker 1: I'm just that type of nigga. I'm a loyal nigga, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So like that was something that they didn't even have to do, you know, or they could have just took the idea and just just said, hey, let's reproduce this and you know what I'm saying now, I'm fighting it.
Speaker 1: Nah, you didn't really do that.
Speaker 4: We don't care like niggas do that every day because you also did it.
Speaker 1: On their exactly. It's not like it was in your computer. It was on their Like this is a thing.
Speaker 2: So for them to them to, you know, to stay solid in that type of situation because you.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't have won that in court. You wouldn't have won that in court. Here's the thing. You remember when I told you that sheet that everybody's supposed to sign, you didn't sign it. You didn't sign. That's the leverage I got you.
Speaker 4: So you know, because I didn't sign that sheet, I had a little bit more leverage. But at the same time, you never needed It wasn't yes about the relationship was cool. And that's why I like talking about experiences that happened like that as well as experiences that don't. You know what I'm saying, because it's like you have to let people know, like this ship ain't always fire and it can always go however, because they're the underdogs, just stay ship. So just like all these other artists just getting fire overnight, they got the company and stay ship. They want to pay you two dollars for the beat? Do you want to go viral or not? Take this two dollars? Shut the hell up early?
Speaker 1: And was this your first placement? That was my first placement? Like that?
Speaker 4: That was my first single, That was like my first big placement. I think the first place, my first placement was my very first placement. Is not worth mentioning my first place in that first placement that I would like to talk about Bobby Valentino Gangster Love with my cousin Swift, and really my cousin Swift did the whole beat, he had did it. I was working with him at the time, and you know, we were the band for Bobby Valentino and Tim and Bob really took a liking to us and our music and the ship that we was doing at the time just wasn't as fire as the ship that you know, Swift did. Like we have the musicality but not the sonics and like, you know, figuring out the mixed and this ship. So shout out to Swift not but yeah, that was the first place, man.
Speaker 1: We did. When was your first real check for a placement? First real check was I think I was still seventeen. I might have been eighteen. It was with Billy Marsa gave me the check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Billy, Billy, that move money.
Speaker 1: You're gonna find some ship you and me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he I think it was Formula One was the group's name, And there was some beat I did at that studio, and you know, they liked it enough to pay for it.
Speaker 1: I think it was twenty five hundred dollars. I was like, oh, I'm rich. I ain't never going back to doing that. No need more. Yeah, yeah, I got like fifteen of these on the CD.
Speaker 4: That's left right, Yeah, slots in what we're doing. But yeah, no, that was like the first real you know what I'm saying. And that was like before I start going to underdogs, you know what I'm saying. That was before I got signed a war I got signed a Warring around like nineteen something like that. Twenty Then t I signed me around like twenty three or something. After I did take you down around like twenty three twenty four, and then we started a production company together and I moved to Atlanta to work with him.
Speaker 1: So t I signed you as a producer, we far as a writer. Well, we started a production company together. OK.
Speaker 4: So he wanted he wanted to produce, and my lawyer basically was like, yo, he wanted he needs like a Scott Stores to a doctor dragon. I'm like, nigga, I'm both like, what do you He's fifty cent I'm Scott's Stores doctor. But you know, but he had he had previously did beats. I just didn't know, and I wasn't aware of nothing, like I just knew rubber band man. I wasn't like ever a tip fan, none of the ship.
Speaker 1: So it was just like how did he find you? He just he's just heard take you down and look.
Speaker 4: The same attorney gotch So he was talking to my attorney and he was like, man, I need somebody that can you know, I'm trying to get back on the beats and I need somebody that can help me, you know, formulate the ideas.
Speaker 1: And he's like, yeah, I got Mars, you know. Boom boom. So we got on three way and you're like, yeah, man, you know, hey man, ship man privileged. You know what I'm saying, shouting When can you come out to it? When can you come out today? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like ship man, I'm ready when you are all right, I'm gonna get the flight. I send it to you tonight. Like wait, no, not that fast, like like maybe like two days like work on my ride situation. I had no car at the time. I remember I walked from my apartment to eat. I was on Magnolia, walked up to the apartment, and this nigga called me. I'm on a three way.
Speaker 2: Like, so we're going to talk about that. Yeah, because I'm a timeline guy. Okay, you just said you did take you down, had had other deals. When t I called, you did not have a car. Just so, like you said, we're giving real information about how the music business works, absolutely in all transparency. Was it that you did not make money off of these things or was it that you blew it?
Speaker 4: No? So I had gotten a car accident, and then after I got in a car accident, I was just kind of like, you know, trying to figure my shit out.
Speaker 1: You know, I got to get rise and you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you had a couple of dollars in Yeah, not enough to just go get a new car from an unprecedented accident. I had enough money to pay my bills, you know, stay afloat. So so yeah, that time like I always like to say, sacrifice over security. It's easy to go. I could have went and got a bucket or you know, do some shit. But I know that if I just keep doing what I'm doing, and you know, something's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Like I e the call that I had, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So boom, So we had that call and you know, and then I'll fly out.
Speaker 1: To go work with him.
Speaker 4: And that was like the first time that somebody actually paid me that much money cash, you know what I'm saying. And my fact, that was the first time I seen like somebody just take out their money out their pocket.
Speaker 1: Like oh, here go, you know what I'm saying. And I was like, and that was for you to do the production team with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was like in that band towards any money that we would receive from our production team. So like you know, it was a short project, but you know, he we did like the Lebron James movie. We did some different franch like just Random Ship, Young Joe.
Speaker 1: We did, like we had a song on more Thing the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we do like you know, like five or six you know, placements or something like that.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 4: And then they have to scream tour and me being you know, the workaholic and wanting to do all the ship. When I first get out there, He's like, man, get whatever you want for you know, the studio. So I'm like being modest, I'm like, all right, cool, let's get this keyboard. This nigga bought everything for a drum.
Speaker 1: Set, the ship that had the virus TI just because it say t I on it. He brought the tr he ba look good at the studio. I'm looking at the exactly look at the sitio.
Speaker 4: Man, you see my name, see you see what I'm doing. I see the Jacko basse bro a replica of that Jacko.
Speaker 1: I'm just sitting there like like.
Speaker 4: You want that bas I'm like, hell no, you know what I'm saying, because it's like twelve tho ten like crazy something crazy, like you want that baby? Like, nah, Who're about to leave? We walking out? The guy is like, hey, man, where do you want your certificate of a authentication? Like what are you talking about? Like for the Jocko. This nigga bought me a Jacko base. You know what I'm saying. And I'm like I've been around niggas for since niggas been niggas, and he don't know me from a man on the moon. This man has this the first day that he sees the value of me. He knows I don't know none of his songs. We're not friends at this point. We're just meeting like we're about to do music and business together.
Speaker 1: Like why are you? Why are you doing this? Southern hospitality?
Speaker 4: Brother, Fuck Southern hospitality. That ship was a start of a real bond and friendship and relation.
Speaker 3: What I mean when I say Southern hospitality, it's like you find with guys like Tip, like the I mean, for some reason, that Southern bag is a limit when they get millions of dollars, that ship stretched down there, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they literally turned warehouses into clubs in the middle of they get a honey bun for every hosting. And when they get it, they get it because and plus those all those states connected, they aren't connected. It's paper bag and one night you're in Mississippi, Georgia the real six figures every stop.
Speaker 1: But he saw him saying, that's what I'm saying. That saw the value.
Speaker 3: He immediately knew I got to pour into this kid in order to get the most out of them for what we're trying.
Speaker 1: To do together.
Speaker 2: And it's something I say to you all the time, and you say, you say about going where you want it.
Speaker 1: Reach.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's something people people press. Facts, people press at things that aren't for them, our situations that aren't for them. Everybody isn't for everybody that's in in personal relationships, business relationships, romantic relate, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: People are like, no, no, I just need to be with her. She don't really like you.
Speaker 2: Dog right, read the room like she don't really like you.
Speaker 1: And we got to look at business like that too. Facts.
Speaker 2: It's some people that see the value in you and they're just like, you know what, he could use that, she could use that. This is something that will help this thing grow because this is a talented young man who he don't just want it just to.
Speaker 1: Look at it. He gonna he's gonna do something with that. Facts. So this's twelve thousand nothing, It don't mean nothing. Motivation ale exactly.
Speaker 2: And I just think that's something that's very important. When you see somebody that that that you feel like you should invest in, You should invest in them. And we've done it plenty of times, and sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Right, but.
Speaker 2: I felt like this needed to be invested in, and hopefully for some of the people that don't even work with me anymore, hopefully I gave them a step up exactly into what they're going to become. Always I always tell people, man, just if it don't work out, just come back and say thank you. That's it, because I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna make my money. Niggas is prideful, bro, I've.
Speaker 2: Been able to make my money in this business, you know what I mean. So it's like I'm not asking you to come back and drop a ten on me or something. I'm just saying, when you see me in these streets and you are who I thought you would become, say thanks.
Speaker 4: And guess what, eighty percent of them niggas is not gonna say thanks. So what you have to do is have a podcast. Like The reason why I felt like I was a lot more advanced than other people was because I thought that these niggas that were sampling was playing all the ship. I thought Timberland was playing everything I saw. J Dilla was playing everything I thought that was.
Speaker 1: In your mind. You have to play it. You haven't you You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't recall those records you never heard, you ain't seen them, makeup or nothing.
Speaker 3: So so here's what we share and learn the creativity because I used Timberland as my foundation to learn how to really produce. So I would on my nine tracks on my PV DPM four remake Timberland Records, and I didn't know those were samples.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know how you did those. I don't know where any of that ship came from.
Speaker 3: But I would just try to make the sound sounds something close to.
Speaker 1: Whatever I had to do.
Speaker 3: And so that's how I learned how to, in a sense like sound make make samples within the music that I make, right, because I didn't start off sampling. But then when I got my PC, I was like, oh, ship, been killing myself the whole.
Speaker 1: Time, taking three hours to do, take fifteen minutes. I bought it.
Speaker 3: I bought a CD store going out of said, going out of business, you had boxes of CDs.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 1: It's right heaving.
Speaker 2: But the fact that y'all could create that, yeah, is also something that has helped y'all in your.
Speaker 4: And that's I think that's what you know that's again taking the stairs exactly. Yeah, but you just felt you didn't know, like like again, we didn't have the insight. We not Yo, we're in the studio making the beat. You don't know how they created the beat. You don't know they oh he sampled this and used this way.
Speaker 1: You don't know that great feeling games was in there? Yeah, no I did.
Speaker 3: I didn't have I didn't have a call the call guitar player, so I had to learn guitar voice sings so that when I played my nylon.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, it sounded like you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying, like you have to all that. So again, not taking the stairs, I mean we really, I mean not taking the elevator, and we really took stare. Sometimes a sand dune keep sliding down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's whack. Well I'm try it again. I would try it again.
Speaker 4: I was crazy, man, But you essential you you Okay, when do you get to become a DJ?
Speaker 1: Because what when do you get there?
Speaker 3: Because now you have such an understanding of music, and now you know how music flows and big becoming a DJ now is is obviously or is it as easy a transition as it is from coming from band, and it was.
Speaker 1: It was. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: A lot more easier than what I thought. The real thing that happened was I wanted to do it and I didn't want to tell nobody because I don't like doing shit unless I could do it as best as I can do it.
Speaker 1: So I practiced for like five years. Yeah. So I bought a CDJ around.
Speaker 4: Like maybe like twenty fourteen thirteen, something like that, and I just had it in my house and I fuck around every now and again, not as not every day, but you know, just every now and again.
Speaker 1: But I didn't get the concept of it.
Speaker 4: I just knew that I wanted to have it either as a sampling tool or to be able to incorporate my music or something, you know. So I just had it. So I was fucking around, and then I started doing this thing on Sundays after church, which is funny, and I just start having like a gang of homegirls and homies come through. We're just drinking, kicking and smoking, making beats and all kinds of shit. And then like one of those times, I'm like, let me just hook my shit up.
Speaker 1: So I hooked my shit up and just start fucking around.
Speaker 4: But fast forward to like maybe three or four years later on fire now, and I know how to I've already like been like, oh, let me take some of my musical compositions and put it in the DJ shit and scratch and like pitch it up and chop shit up and use it in the beats. So I'm like doing all kinds. I'm like, oh shit, I'm in a studio by myself, like what I figured it out?
Speaker 1: All that shit. I'm like, yeah, like fuck.
Speaker 4: So then by that time, I'm like, well, shit, let me just start fucking around with records. So now quarantine has hit, and you know, niggas is like you know, on Twitch. So I was on Twitch DJing and people be like, oh man, I'll see you.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks man, I needed that boom boom.
Speaker 4: I get off Twitch and I got like, you know, three hundred dollars on my cash up or you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like the Twitch, I'm like, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: But now I'm looking at the twich and its like you are lying for six hours, like six hours, God damn, I back hurting the shit, you know what I'm saying. But that's when I realized that I really fucking love that shit. So like the informative and how can I say, I like, try to try to get the most information that I can, so I hit the best people.
Speaker 1: I knew that DJ, so first I hit battle Cat.
Speaker 4: Battle Cat came through, And once he came through and showed me, it changed my whole shit. I was like, oh, I can produce while I am DJing, and that just changed my whole shit. So now I'm the drummer, I'm the musician, I could be the keyboard player, I could take the keys from this record, because now it's about catalog and knowing as much music as possible.
Speaker 1: So anything I.
Speaker 4: Here, I'm like, okay, ship, I can put damn that Stevie Wonder those strings from Village Ghetto Land will go crazy on this.
Speaker 1: So you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, now you're dissecting it as musical instruments.
Speaker 3: And you all to just the songs, and because you used to you couldn't isolate back in the day, it's now the isolation is great.
Speaker 4: So oh my god. I was like, after I've learned that, I was like, I'm doing like I had our DJ artistic pull up a couple other DJs you know, just to make sure I was doing like, you know, doing my ship. And after that it was a wrap. I called David Busters, Yo, I want to do a West Coast Wednesdays. I want to come up there, and.
Speaker 1: Called Dare I love Nigga. I love that. I don't know where that was. It was like Nigga said. The first thing I did called David Bus.
Speaker 4: This was the perfect opportunity to DJ, Like you get to Dja bus is this?
Speaker 1: I'm just which Hollywood in Hollywood? The one in Hollywood?
Speaker 4: But hear me out the first the first I had a meet in that Daving Busters, just because I love David Busters and I was wanting to do something there. But you know, once I start DJing, I'm like, oh shit, this would be perfect, like like a DJ there just to you know, see what the fuck is going on before I start, you know, hitting.
Speaker 1: Up these lounges and clubs and charging a million.
Speaker 4: Dollars cool testing ground, yeah, because they're not here to see me anywhay. You're here to go have fun. And then if you hear something fire like, oh shit, you know what I'm saying. So it's like the challenge, so boom, I hit them up West Coast Wednesdays, I'm up there a DJ, and they made it work.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 4: We start just like getting so many motherfuckers. That was just like, yo, so what are you gonna do next? And we and now my regular life as my guy Mars or my great life as my guy Mars. You know, it's still moving and I'm like trying to just be a DJ, and it's like, Nigga, you got a session. The next one, you may have to go out of town. Yeah, you may have to go yeah exactly. So I'm like, but I really love it, so realize I couldn't really do it, So I just start putting other people in a position to be there, you know what I'm saying, Like blast DJ, you know.
Speaker 1: Crystal to DJ, different people like that.
Speaker 4: And you know, that turned into like a great relationship to be able to have like all the daving Busters' locations in California. So I start curating talent for all it so all six locations like every.
Speaker 1: Week, yeah, for like two months.
Speaker 4: But the way that I did it though, was I had I would go on my live and I'd be like, yo, if you are a dope artist, a dope singer, you know, what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, like, come on my live right now. I want to hear what you got. Boom boom.
Speaker 4: I can get you some food, pay two hundred and fifty dollars, and you can come perform at Daving Busters. So that was like something like people start, you know, and they follow him will it's hit me up the Orange County.
Speaker 1: Hey, who is Taylor? Taylor?
Speaker 4: She was amazing? Or who is this person? Like they came late and they asking for drinks and they're on the outside smoking weed all that. So it's like you get to experience, you know what I'm saying, like the whole ship.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, and what comes with.
Speaker 4: And given opportunity exactly. So it was like I'm not fucking up your opportunity. You take on you and you know what I'm saying, I'm not in San Diego. If you don't show up, that's on you, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I think it was dope because they gave me a platform to be able to extend the opportunities are already give you know what I'm saying. But it was, you know, a fire thing to be able to DJ and then still be able to transition. So when I worked with Brody and he got his deal and I started doing playing for him a musical director for him, my setup is I'm his DJ, So have my DJ set up my role and the keyboard.
Speaker 1: So it's like I'm doing the Oh yeah, you know what it's like.
Speaker 4: So now it's a part of the experience, and you know, me hearing things a certain way, I can execute it opposed to just me being there just DJing, right, you know what I'm saying and not playing so.
Speaker 2: All because your daddy told you to go play the organ while he's saying amazing. Probably for sure, that's what it all comes back. As you're doing that. I'm watching you as a little confused at first, and control of the church, you know what I mean, Like all of these things, and that's we go back to it.
Speaker 1: Stop skipping steps.
Speaker 2: Right, These things will lead to other things, you know what I mean. And and the more you put into it, the more it gives back to you, sir, you know what I mean. I appreciate this to my son, I mean, you know, like me and him talk about it in his life and the things that he wants to do. I'm like, listen, just put the work in, but the specific work. You know what I mean, Because there is a thing called a hamster whill where you running place.
Speaker 1: Facts I'm running, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And there's a difference between an actual running a marathon and getting somewhere or being on this hamster wheel and going nowhere. Work can be put in, but if you haven't identified Okay, I'm going to work at A B and C. This is going to get me to this step. This like life takes planning right right, even on accident. Facts like life takes you gotta be prepared for when that opportunity comes for you, so or you know, when you have that chance to say, you know what, I'm gonna call David Busters because I just like it. But then going and actually delivering something right, because on the other side of that, you are of value to this place because now people are buying more little mini burgers.
Speaker 1: Right, Niggas is shooting more hoops right.
Speaker 2: Because they know that Mars, my guy, Mars has West Coast Wednesdays and he's showing new talent. But then on the flip side of that, you're giving them an opportunity.
Speaker 1: So now you you're.
Speaker 4: Everything, your reach is grown as you were introduced, fact.
Speaker 1: As you were introduced love. You know, I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Man. I just think, you know, it's a lot of people that have been before us that we've taken on a lot of you know, great experiences, great memories, great traits from these people, and also the bad experiences we've been able to, you know, navigate to where we know how to inform other people, whether you take it or not.
Speaker 1: We could tell just hey, the stove I'm just letting you know, the stove is hot. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: As long as I can do that, I don't feel, you know, as bad. And as long as I can give as much as I can give while I'm here, then I'm good.
Speaker 1: Because you know, I just want to die empty. That's it.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. I want everything that I'm trying to do to be done, you know what I'm saying. Like that's that's the whole point. Like my son is five years old, and you know, i'd say the people that I used to talking to the most are not here anymore, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So like it.
Speaker 4: Starts putting, it gives you more real perspective perspectives. You know what I'm saying of like what you're doing with your time, and I would rather not just you know, come here and just be like yeah, man, you know, thanks to me talk about all the shit and not be able to give real information, real valuable information, and you know as much as I can while I'm here, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I think that's like the main thing is just.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I want I want to dj, I want to sing, I want to write, I want to do all the ship I know I can do. You know what I'm saying, especially if it's people out here that's doing.
Speaker 1: It way more terribly.
Speaker 3: Wan more terribly, you know, more terribly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know that that is something where I think for me and and you know, people were asking me about singing again, right and now why again it's what do you mean again? Well, you know, I take I took I guess I could say I take I've taken breaks, but I took a long break to focus on another part of my career and things that I wanted to develop as far as you know, just just my mind and me being on the executive side, so I couldn't focus on being an artist at that time or doing songs, but not to the level I wanted to do the mat so, but I think, you know, once Chank truly convinced me to get back into that space. I think the outlook I took on it was I'll just create the music that I don't hear that I would like to hear, not even caring about whatever somebody else made or didn't make, and me feeling a way about or having an opinion about whatever they were making. I was just like, you know what, I would actually like to hear this song, even if it was on somebody else, So you know whatout singing fire, you know what I mean? And that was a big part of the motivation for me. It's like, okay, anything, you know what I mean? Okay our podcast. A big part of our podcast is that we wanted to give something. We wanted to be an alternative to certain things. I'm not going to complain about whatever other podcasts and what they say on their own, it doesn't matter to me, you know what I mean. I actually salute them for going and doing the work. But on the R and B Money podcast, right cast is set a certain way. We're going to do a certain thing here. We're going we're going to celebrate, we're going to give information, we're going to talk about the journey, and we're going to talk about the journey with people from different walks of life. Yes, it's called the R and B Money Podcast. As soon as you hear R and B, that's the first thing you're thinking. But me and this man aren't.
Speaker 4: I'm about to say, y'all, niggas ain't gonna not never not be here right this is.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So for us, I can interview anybody off the street if I want to, because we're gonna get back to the R and B within it. But it's just creating things that we would like to see. And that's truly, in my opinion, what God gave us, absolutely the gift to do that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Hey, I don't like that, Okay. I think I came up with an idea for the things I do like and maybe some more people will like it, you know what I mean. And I think you've you've done really well. And that's face And even because Tank Tank Tank kind of touched on.
Speaker 1: This earlier, as far as.
Speaker 2: Your desography, take you down sounds nothing like stronger. Yeah, are stronger sounds nothing like Compton Compton, Yeah are Compton sounds? Nothing like what it feels like? Right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like those are energy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: None of these records soundedlike So to me, what I believe is that these are just records you liked and something you wanted to hear, and now people have taken to them for sure, and you've created a career off of it.
Speaker 3: How you weren't like you as you evolved. It's like you evolved into so many things to where there's no box, there's nothing that can hold you. So from a creative standpoint, like you become, you become limitless. You can walk in any room.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think there's I think there that comes with the intention as well, you know what I'm saying, because you know, I can intend on being the best pop producer and just stay in that lane, you know what I'm saying. I think my thing was I've always been about the music and the ego is the biggest ego.
Speaker 1: Is the song for me.
Speaker 4: So it's like if I'm walking into a room to contribute something, I'm trying to do the best for the song.
Speaker 1: It's not about it's not about your signature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I never thought of like doing a tag or none of that shit, because I want you to like the music before you like me.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like I want you or like me for the music. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But that's what you're processing and getting first. Is the music, getting an emotion, the education, all of the things we were just talking about. You're getting all that with what I'm putting into the music. So why would I take that away by saying Mike got mars on the beat and then.
Speaker 1: Take you down? Is that the same?
Speaker 4: Why you know what I'm saying, It's like it's taken from me. It was taken away from the song. So I never, like I said, I never even envisioned working with artists. I just vision making music. Then I started working with artists, It's like, Okay, how can I make the best song? Not like how can I make the world know it's me? My thing was I felt like it was a compliment if.
Speaker 1: You didn't know it was me. It's tailoring at all time, you know what I'm saying, Like I didn't want it to high level. I didn't want no.
Speaker 3: It's his suit you're making. You're making tailor mates exactly for those particular artists, and nobody should be able to wear that, and you shouldn't even be able to wear exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So on this path and you know, becoming a great producer, songwriter, DJ artists.
Speaker 1: Like, what do you see next for you?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm getting a little older, so now I'm more so we.
Speaker 1: Don't get all the music, bro, Yeah, we don't get all the music. We get old as performers, we get older.
Speaker 2: Put on go put on a Marshmallow helmet man, and they'll never know how never know.
Speaker 1: Never know.
Speaker 2: I don't even know who marshmallow. I was about to say, I know, I ain't even got Me and him have probably been in the same room.
Speaker 1: I've seen him literally said that no ship. Yeah, like it was literally. I was like, bro, he could have been right next to me at Starbucks. Bro, like I was.
Speaker 2: I was bowling one day and saw Gene Simmons and I was like, I was young, I was younger, right, And I was trying to put it to two together.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you look familiar, but he don't.
Speaker 4: Can you stick your tongue out really quick for me? Paul No, but that's how he was known. No, man, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry, stay trying to go viral stick a while.
Speaker 1: Bro. You know what, No, I didn't let me off the car.
Speaker 4: I was thinking face boy, you know, contract boy, face paint man, little talk.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, and we're gonna. Yes, we're gonna, and we don't plan on quitting no time soon either.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like we go, we're gonna do our thing for a minute. That's how we look into it ain't fun no more. Right now, we're having a great time.
Speaker 1: You understand me? Going? He going? I know it was, it was about to happen. Oh ship, this is my minister of music.
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, brother Mars, my my guy Mars. In your journeys through the galaxies, you've heard some music.
Speaker 1: Yes, you've made some music. A lot of timers talk about you've gotten stronger, You've gotten stronger. Yeah, we want to know from all this music, what's your mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Fun?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're top five, top five, Yes, you're top five? Are the singers aread me? So we are to know? We know you know the galaxy your top yeah, top your f yeah yeah, you hear me. You understand me. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before you say your top five though, let's shout out the merch. Oh love, you know what I mean, because I know they've been paying attention to they've been seeing it.
Speaker 1: That's all. Come onst listen. We are celebrating business in here. Yes, get to the side, Come on, come on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in my bio or my got Mars dot com. But it's in my bio on Instagram, my got mars. Uh, we got merch. We got candles.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, let me tell you about this.
Speaker 4: So I got a candle. Oh yeah, I got a candle. We got the regular candle. And then I have a sound sent candle. Sound sent candle comes with a QR code and I produced music exclusively for that candle that only fifty people will get exclusivity. So yeah, yeah, that's love flames dot com. And then I have some wine, a wine line that just started as well, and that's wine in Big dot com.
Speaker 1: So do you be in your backyard stepping on grapes? No, but I am going to go to a vineyard. I know. I'm not like a foot.
Speaker 3: Never with my feet down, alright, my guy Mars, Yes, sir, your Top five R and B Singers by R and B Singers.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, okay, just singing, just singing. I'm going, Charlie Wilson, come on, it's like an usher Mario somewhere. You want what you make it. You're making them tied for one. Yeah, I might have to tie for one Mario, Mario Raymond, Mario Raymond. Okay, and then we're gonna go. I'm gonna go tie.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's so Yeah, I like it cold. That niggas cold. I'm gonna go. I gotta put in the vie. I gotta put tank in the vibe.
Speaker 2: That's crazy because in the vine in there, in there, you got your blue sweat suit on the.
Speaker 1: Lord to you, I know it is, it's on, but it's yeah, that ain't no to me. Soon I need wanted them to travel. It might be to be I got to be sweat suit though. I think I was on a movie to be. We gotta call. Yeah, yeah, thank you for the I'm gonna go folk cool.
Speaker 4: You know what this is gonna be just this is just my personal one, my personal Yeah. I know they know what I'm about to say. I'm going, Michael McDonald.
Speaker 1: What do you mean Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 3: Nigga just saying I don't think that would be niggat so I think that's Cole Cole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rolling. I love Michael McDonald, love Michael McDonald.
Speaker 4: I always I wanted to like have them, like, you know, singing at my wedding or something, but just have to taken too long.
Speaker 1: Mars, your top five R and B Songs, Top five R and B Songs take you down? Is up there for sure? Why not put your record there? Yeah, I'm gonna go human Nature.
Speaker 4: It gotta be a baby song, probably whip a peel, Yeah, whatever you want, pretty brown eyes. And then I'm like, I close it off with either lady or how does it feel by D'Angelo. I'm tired for either.
Speaker 1: One of those. I like it.
Speaker 4: I don't think I like it. I don't think di'angelo's catalog it's talked about enough, not at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah, let's see un she got over there. I can't let him leave. Just ship. Listen, you watched the podcast. Yeah, I ain't saying no nigga, ain't saying no names. Yeah, saying no names, saying no names? Where you are.
Speaker 2: What you did?
Speaker 1: Don't say? She ain't say you got this podcast just a show off. That's great. Shop got furnishing moment and everything here.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know where we at. You know where we at? Man, you know where we're at. Man, Yeah, man, we have to. I ain't saying the name segment of the show. Very you didn't. Yeah, yeah, I know you didn't. Sainth it sat it right, So.
Speaker 2: Right now, tell us a story, funnyer fucked up, a funny and fucked up travel mars.
Speaker 1: It could be your guy.
Speaker 2: I could not be your guy girl. This this happened with you know what I mean? The only rule to this game is you can't say no names.
Speaker 1: That's all we that's all we ad. Okay, okay, some fucked up ship if you would like, if you would like what I would like?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: The first thing that comes to my mind is this session I had with this peculiar individual.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you've definitely been hanging out with t I this. No, I'm not really hanging I'll be watching a lot of no like, No, it was really peculiar. Marvin Gay, ain't that peculiar. I'm talking about the just saying I heard it from Marvin first.
Speaker 4: But anyway, No, it was a peculiar individual because I can't say they name, And it was a peculiar session because the individual wanted me, wanted me to work with somebody else, and the combo was crazy. So I was in there working and we're doing a remix for a song. And while we're doing the song, the person that I'm working with, it's two producers, it's me and somebody else. And the person I'm working with he like, you know, it's programming the drums and stuff. So he programs the eight O eights and I'm like, they not really like pitched, like they're not really in key, you know what I'm saying, Like, you should just have me do it on the you know, on the keyboard and I can like make it like an ad away.
Speaker 1: He's like, man, it's just this this sounds sound fire boom.
Speaker 4: I'm all right, cool, excuse me. So the dude comes in, he's like, yo, let me hear what y'all work on. You played the song and he's like, you know, bob into it. Then he turned the beat off and he's like he turned the beat off. He's like, yeah, this is fire. It's just like the ataways is just like out of tune. I look at this nigga like, he was like, oh man, he was like, I mean like I like it. It's like hip hop. But he was like, I'm gonna just send it to my weight. Let me think of the right word. He said, I'm gonna send this to my aweight tuner. And I was like, and this is mars. Back in the day, I was a lot less filtered and not as slow to speak, I mean not, you know. So He's like, you know, this is a very expensive conversation, like these are elite people.
Speaker 1: I'm just here and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Yoh, why why you want to send it to you tuner if you've got an awight tuner.
Speaker 1: Right here hmm.
Speaker 4: And he was like, well, if I have an aweight tuner right here, why aren't the aweights tuned?
Speaker 1: And I just wanted to be like, because you're an asshole, but I and I was like, that was like the end of me. Just I just melted. After that. I was like, maybe I should not say ship to people. I should say shit too.
Speaker 4: It was the first time I like really got soun like in front of everybody.
Speaker 1: I didn't care, but the person said that the matter of my song sung.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like so it's almost like you should have caught that, which I did, which you did, but but he's not acknowledging the producers, not.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's sick.
Speaker 4: I'm like, all right, just melted and just all right, I'm saying this to you eight away to it right now, almost track track up the.
Speaker 1: Beats, like all right, cool.
Speaker 4: Then from that moment on, I knew just you know, if it's my session then and like say the things that I'm thinking about.
Speaker 1: But you know, if you're not, if not asking, you got it, Champ, you better than me to.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, we should tune this nigga up, you know, but yeah, no where I'm from tuning, you know, just for y'all.
Speaker 3: Just you know, I showed what her this because that was he's trashy and I've heard so many When you said that, my skin started crawling because nothing irks me more than an.
Speaker 1: Out out of tune eight oh eight.
Speaker 3: And there are hit records, yes with with out of tune o eight And when I hear that ship in the club, I was like, this, Jesus, But.
Speaker 2: I'm also trying to figure out. I'm trying to figure out what level. You gotta be on to have an eight oh eight tuner. I haven't achieved that level yet.
Speaker 1: You got it. Got to be a part of my flock.
Speaker 3: You gotta be the laziest. Listen, this is what this is what an eight o eight tuna is equivalent to. Yeah, he pulls the grapes off the stems.
Speaker 1: That's the equivalent of an a grateful because that's just like one we need him to.
Speaker 3: You know, he pulls it for me and then I eat it. You pause, you know what I'm saying, Like, that's the equivalent. That's how ridiculous that is that it's not tuned, because all you have to do is this or that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey man, this is a business full of flaws. I'm sure what he said it was.
Speaker 4: And he was wearing taxedo just to add and so to injury and the dummer. But the artist artist on purpose or yes, did he have somewhere to go? He just came back from somewhere.
Speaker 3: Somewhere he had when he said that he had he had.
Speaker 1: It on at the beginning of the session. Yeah, and he left and he came back with the same taxi on. He had to text it on all day. It was his body. He had business, big business man. Business business bothered me. So yeah, there's people getting paid to eight O. Wait's out here, so you know, never know, listen, if you'all are paying top dollars to eight eight, I'm your guy.
Speaker 3: Ain't going for your grapes. Wait, I got all the stuff you need to away. May we got some news for you.
Speaker 1: Uh mars my guy. Man, thank you, brother, Thank you for real to make sure you know your family with that. You know, it's all you belong up here, your information and and and what you what you continue to contribute to this thing. Man. People got to know that people know who you are. And this is you know, this is a beautiful thing with what you're doing. And I'm just glad. You know. The narrative is what it is.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. Like the format, you know, it's fun. You know, it's informative, you know what I'm saying, and it's it's something that our culture needs.
Speaker 1: You know, appreciate you. I appreciate you, man, Flowers and all. Man, that's what we do.
Speaker 3: Then you know, you know, eventually when you get around to it, you know, maybe maybe you'll producing music for us.
Speaker 1: Man, Come on, to the studio and start playing.
Speaker 3: You know that you've been on the pile here. You know we were up one. Come on, you know players, don't keep going. I'm just starting it up there now, you know what I'm saying. Need that hit stage.
Speaker 1: That's Valentine and this is the R and B Money.
Speaker 4: Podcast authority on all things R and D and uh my guys, better your guy, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Money.
Speaker 2: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episodes, subscribe to YouTube dot com, forward Slash, R and B Money