Speaker 1: This podcast.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by CEA Foam Motor Treatment, a proud podcast sponsor of Meat Eater. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Stephen Rinella, Giannis, Putellis, Brody Henderson, Randall Williams, Seth Morris, Cravin Schneider, Doctor Randall, Ryan Callahan and Dan Adute. Now, Dan, this is your first time on the show. How do you feel about your chances at Meat Eater Trivia?
Speaker 3: I am going to do so well? Okay, how else you're going to rename this the Dana Dute Meat Eater Trivia Hour?
Speaker 2: The confidence is real. Dan is the only one to ever suggest putting a dollar down on the game. So we now have a stack of cash sitting in the middle of the table, A stack of three dollars bill. It was bigger than that, okay. Uh. Dan started that though, wanting to bet on this game. Steve, you've had an hour or two to to suss out Dan. How do you think he's gonna fare?
Speaker 1: I bet the one? I just listen ME mean, I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I can take it.
Speaker 1: No, I can take I bet you when Phil does. Who's in and out at eight? Year out?
Speaker 2: Listen beat in and out by eight? That ain't by eight the other day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have won forever.
Speaker 2: Steve is usually quite bullish on our guest ability. Dan, I haven't heard him be that down before, so I'm looking forward.
Speaker 4: You wait, is that true?
Speaker 2: Prove him wrong? It's true. Prove him wrong, danh.
Speaker 4: Yo, this is for all the coastal elites listening. I will represent.
Speaker 2: Maybe not well, though you'll be there.
Speaker 5: Coxman, is that what you're saying?
Speaker 6: The Cox went the oh, I'm sorry, did I pronounce it wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow, you know what you're gonna be out by question number five?
Speaker 2: Now, Cal pointed out Cal wasn't even supposed to be on this episode, but he wanted to stick around because he has yet to get to witness Steve versus Brody versus Doctor Randall, and Cal said, I have to sacrifice my next hour to be here to watch this unfold. But he's playing, he's playing, but he's also here for the show.
Speaker 5: Damn it a good show?
Speaker 6: That? Yeah, it's because you don't display the same characteristics that have me intrigued I know yesterday.
Speaker 2: This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the start of the week. This week we're looking at Phil's performance in Meat Eater Trivia. Now, before this show had really found its identity, Phil was playing along as well as keeping score and running all these sound effects. But then he declared one day that he was too much to do all three things, so he kindly gave up playing so he could better run the soundboard and scoreboard. Prior to that, though, Phil competed in seven games. His best category was cooking, where he got sixty four percent of questions right. His worst category was hunting, where he got eighteen percent of questions right. Phil's best performance was in episode two ninety four, where he got five right and finished just one point behind Steve. Was that a monumental day, Phil?
Speaker 5: Uh, It was kind of before the show became the show, and before like you know, people got egos and things of that nature. So yeah, yeah, it was it was more fun than monumental. I was just I was having good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you miss the days of having a white at all? No? Okay, it's too it's too high pressure.
Speaker 5: But as soon as I take over this company and like a bloody coup and I changed the trivia, Star Wars and video games, you guys are so screwed.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode three forty three. The topic was conservation, and nobody got it right. Which of these is not one of the five tools of wildlife management listed in the nineteen forty nine book A Sand County Almanac, AX, cow water gun? Which of those was not one of the five toes? Nobody got this right, ax cow water gun. What would be your guest, Steve? And you've been given the hint. Now that's wrong, water is right. Nobody got that right.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: The time we played this question was especially notable because it was the first time we ever had a multiple choice question where no one got the right answer. Now. In a previous game of trivia, long long ago, we had a question about who the nineteen year old was from the movie Into the Wild that died in the Alaskan Wilders's that right now? The correct answer was Christopher McCandless, but I also awarded credit to Steve for his answer. Steve remind folks of how that went and why you felt you got it right?
Speaker 1: This was his was I put down Alexander's Supertramp because that's what he called himself and of twenty twenty two taught you anything, is it? What you call yourself is what you are?
Speaker 2: Okay, Randall Williams identify as doctor Wilf that.
Speaker 1: And he changed his name to Alexander Supertramp.
Speaker 2: Well. Jeff Swayze wrote in to say that he believes Steve shouldn't have gotten this right, and here's why.
Speaker 1: A little late to the game.
Speaker 2: Although McCandless did temporarily refer to himself as Alexander Supertramp, in his final communication with the outside world, he dropped the moniker. Here is his last letter, which he taped to his bus door. Take it away, Phil.
Speaker 5: Attention possible visitors, So I need your help. I am injured, near death and two week to hike out of here. I am all alone. This is no joke in the name of God, please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you, Signed Chris McCandless.
Speaker 2: He was no longer Alexander Supertramp Steve.
Speaker 1: He was also in a distressed state.
Speaker 2: Okay, blurry judgment, win that game of you don't have this information? If that if connected the outcomes, you know what. I still feel fine about giving you credit for Alexander's super Tramp. That was even a deeper cut than I think, knowing Chris McCandless, So we'll we'll still give you that point.
Speaker 5: I still feel fine about favoring my employer.
Speaker 6: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Am yeah, now he shall be indo. Today's game is a three and a half sour. Winner should get seven correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. I play the drop phill look, I need to know what I stand and wind everything.
Speaker 1: How's that? Just tend to win everything? Gamon Suckers.
Speaker 2: Question one. The topic is conservation and this will be multiple choice. Which of these states has the highest population of wolves? Is it Oregon, Michigan, Montana, or Minnesota. Which of these states has the highest population of wolves? Oregon Michigan, Montana, or Minnesota. Some very confident answers in the room. I'm surprised, but how quick everyone was to come up with an answer. Steve, You're gonna get this one right. Oregon, Michigan, Montana, Minnesota. Perfect game start, Dan. I heard you just visited Yellowstone recently. Did you get to see any wolves there?
Speaker 4: I saw so many wolves?
Speaker 1: Really no?
Speaker 3: Oh, but I saw that everyone here answered quick enough, and we're in Montana that I'm assuming this is local.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers before we give away too many hands. Steve saying Minnesota, Dan Sang Montana, Brody Sang Minnesota, Corin Sang Minnesota, Calsang Michigan, Seth and Randall Sang Minnesota, Jannis Sang, Michigan. The correct answer is Minnesota. The room did pretty well after Alaska. Minnesota has the highest wolf population in the nation, with a population of two thousand, seven hundred wolves. Minnesota is home to about half of all wolves that live in the lower forty eight. Montana has about twelve hundred wolves, Michigan has about six hundred, and Oregon has about two hundred. Question two the topic is fishing. This next great question comes to us via my nephew, Archie Matthiason. If you have the question you think is right for trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the meat Eater dot com if he.
Speaker 5: Texted to you, or email it to the.
Speaker 2: Official His mother texted it to.
Speaker 5: Nepotism here.
Speaker 2: Archie, I think it's about ten.
Speaker 1: You're a pretty good uncle.
Speaker 2: I thank you.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've picked up little snippets here narr to suggest you're good at being an uncle.
Speaker 2: You know, I think being an uncle is easy. I'm the funkle on the fun uncle. But when they're like ten and twelve years old and they have all the same interests like hunting, fishing, sports, it's pretty shine through. It's easy to be. You got a house full of rocks, that's right. They like as well. Yeah, here's the question from Archie. The fishing lure pattern that has red, blue and yellow dots on a white background is named after this grocery store staple. The fishing lure pattern that has red, blue and yellow dots on a white background is named after this grocery store staple. Quick answer from Dan and Brody, Johannis and Steve seems stumped, Seth, Are you going to get this one right? One hundred percent? Here's the question again. The fishing lure pattern that has red, blue and yellow dots on a white background is named after this grocery store staple. Brody, you have this one right as well. You're getting into Steve and Yanni's head here, trying to Yeah, very confident on the other side of the writing.
Speaker 1: My uh, my marker is not I wouldn't call it a dry erase markers.
Speaker 2: That's the issue.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of energy going into racing thing.
Speaker 2: Can't focus on the question.
Speaker 3: I know very little about fishing, a lot about supermarket staple.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't talk any much.
Speaker 1: You think sliced cheddar.
Speaker 2: Do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, Yanni and Steve might slip up. Karen, it seemed like it came to you over there. Do you have the right answer? Okay? Is everybody ready, Yanni? I think we're waiting on you. All right, go ahead, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying bubblegum, Dan sang wonder Brody sang wonderbread, Karen saying wonderbread, white bread. Seth saying wonderbread, Randall saying wonderbread, Yannas saying popcorn. The correct answer is Wonderbread. Dan. I think we'll give it to you.
Speaker 1: I saw someone wonder didn't know how to finish this. How woud you get that far?
Speaker 3: Not to the end, because I thought it was the company is wonder that. The company is not wonder Bread. It's a bread made by the Wonder company, so I think.
Speaker 2: They may be wonder Bread. I'm gonna give it to you, Dan.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: The guest always needs some help. Now, that was patriot. I did not need help on that. Usually our guest gets like three or four.
Speaker 1: I looked that you had wonder and didn't finish it. I thought you caught a glimpse of something.
Speaker 7: Like maybe over on my board.
Speaker 1: Wow. What was tough it was to get it right? But I'm not afraid to say it.
Speaker 3: I I one hundred percent swear I did not cheat. I did not look at your board. I'm telling you the truth. M hm.
Speaker 7: We know things about you and forest fires.
Speaker 4: Okay, that is another episode.
Speaker 1: We don't need to bring that up now.
Speaker 2: Wonderbread and it's iconic packaging have been around since the nineteen twenties, but the use of it on fishing lures didn't catch on until about twenty years ago. The pattern is now mass produced by companies like Rapaula and Little Cleo, make it a popular choice for anglers targeting salmon, while I bass and panfish. As one fishing guide eloquently put it in a twenty twenty article, the wonderbread pattern is the best thing since sliced bread.
Speaker 7: Questions for you seth, you like it?
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 5: It's not my most confident color, but I use it.
Speaker 1: I use it mostly through the ice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun to have around. It doesn't match anything else in the lake. But if you're worried about getting something's attention, that'll do it. Question three. The topic is cooking. This meal is often referred to as Jewish penicillin because of its medicinal value. This meal is often referred to as Jewish penicillin because of its Dan with a confident, confident answer, Jewish penas now Dan. I often throw our guests a bone. One question that I feel like is squarely in their wheelhouse. When I go to your website, I think the first stand up bit I watched I was about being Jewish your bio said something about being growing up in a Jewish household your Wikipedia entry, I think the first line says Dan Adute is a Jewish actor, writer, comedian. So I am throwing a bone to you on question three here, and you look confident that you're going to get this one right.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: However, it has nothing to do with my Jewishness because this is an Ashkenazi Jewish thing. I'm an Iranian Jew, which was Safhardic jew. This is not part of my culture.
Speaker 2: But as a.
Speaker 3: Coastal Elites Jew, I know.
Speaker 2: That Jewish don't real people are struggling, Dan, This could put you in the lead here.
Speaker 4: Good, what's the question again?
Speaker 2: This meal is often referred to as Jewish pennis Zillan because of its medicinal value. Is everybody ready, Steve? You're gonna get this one right. Steve has oft excelled in questions, uh in this category because you once had a Jewish girlfriend. You've proclaimed I learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to knowing more about Judaism.
Speaker 2: Than she did.
Speaker 1: But you're not gonna get this old statement.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying matsa ball soup. Dan saying chicken soup, Brody saying chicken noodle soup. Karen sang what's that say? Krin Cal sang matza ball soup, Seth saying blue cheese, Randall is saying mats of ball soup. Yanna's saying mats of ball soup. The correct answer is chicken soup or maa ball soup, either one of them. We'll give it to Brody. We'll get to Brody.
Speaker 5: I feel.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's okay. Sometimes there are noodles as today.
Speaker 1: Jewish boards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you put filter f well, I just couldn't. I couldn't think it was chicken chicken noodle soup.
Speaker 2: A Jewish physician was one of the first to recommend chicken soup for curing illnesses in the twelfth century.
Speaker 4: This way, Jewish physician is redundant.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's good. This claim was backed up by research at the University of Nebraska, which proved that chicken soup slows inflammation associated with colds and flu. The Jewish penicillin moniker gained popularity in America after World War Two. Question four the topic is woodsmanship. This next great question comes to us via Daniel McCarthy. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. The presence of this compound, which is often associated with red wine, is what makes some acorns more bitter than others. The presence of this compound, which is often associated with red wine, is what makes some acorns more bitter than others. Yanni, you're gonna get this one right, I believe.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Do you have a lot of acorns on your property in Wisconsin some years? Okay? Is that something you talk about and fall? Which acorns are they hitting? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I'm just starting to pay attention to that, so I will be talking more and more about it again.
Speaker 2: The presence of this compound, which is often associated with red wine, is what makes some acorns more bitter than others.
Speaker 8: You know, I've learned the other day listening to the wire Hunt podcast, old episode number one sixty one, was that some oaks never will produce acorns. They're simply not producers. And the guy was saying, cut them down so that your producer and that's your super producers.
Speaker 1: And it'll it'll never produce. It's not just that it's having a bad couple of years.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he said, watch your stand for three years, and he said you'll know which trees are going to keep producing and which trees are never going to produce.
Speaker 1: I'd like to take that one to Bubbly Dog.
Speaker 2: Pat Dirkin has a great article on our website about the reality of trying to fertilize oak trees. It's a thing that a lot of habitat managers try to do, but we don't quite know everything about how it works. A lot of misconceptions. Does everybody have an answer, Go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Steve saying tannic acid. Dan is in parentheses, he says tannins. Dan sang tannins. Brody sang tannin's, Karen saying right, tannons, cal sag tann and ten. Everybody says tannin. Everybody got it right, aid, the correct answer is tannin's.
Speaker 1: That's not a comp Tannins isn't a compound.
Speaker 2: We're going to give it folks who said tannins. According to biologists, acorns from one white oak trees are preferred by wildlife because of their low tannin levels. This gives them more of a sweet flavor than acidic flavor, which is common with red oaks, black oaks, and pinoaks. The tannins and wine often come from the skin and seeds of fruit.
Speaker 1: What did doctor Williams?
Speaker 2: Have you got it right?
Speaker 1: All the way right or a little right?
Speaker 2: I think, by the rules of the room, I got it all the way right.
Speaker 1: I think by your rules, I did not get it right.
Speaker 2: Question five. The topic is hunting. Who is the author of the hunting novel Death in the Long Grass?
Speaker 1: You already did this?
Speaker 2: Never done this before? Who is the author of the hunting novel Death in the Long Grass? Karen has not picked up her board yet. Have no guests? Oh come, rest of the room looks fairly confident.
Speaker 5: Great bookt Reddit, Yes you should.
Speaker 8: You should add that to the Meteor book Club.
Speaker 1: Good idea.
Speaker 2: Y Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 1: I got cho Is that a problem?
Speaker 2: I think it is for thinking we've done this question before. You should be more confident. Cal you have an answer.
Speaker 5: I know I'm gonna space on.
Speaker 2: Oh it's Brody thinking too, Brodie?
Speaker 1: Are you thinking?
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness, I can't believe it with all these book writers in the room.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't worry.
Speaker 3: I put my I put my answer in right away.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to side Randall. How we doing over there? Are you going to get this one right?
Speaker 1: I feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 2: Have you read this book? Yes? I can picture it on my shelf. Did that help you?
Speaker 7: Cal head?
Speaker 1: One I got and then the one I crossed out?
Speaker 2: We can do? That call is the only one I've ever seen. I know the one that you got.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna can I guess if I know both of the ones that you wrote.
Speaker 2: You can write down what you think Steve's other answers, I'll give you.
Speaker 1: I'll take my dollar back out of that bet and give it to you if you know what I got written down? Is that okay? Yeah? That's okay. Kind of like messes up the whole bet.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answer? We have Steve saying, Zane Gray he crossed out, Capstick, Dan saying no.
Speaker 1: No, I meant to cross out Zane Gray.
Speaker 2: Dan saying Johnny mccons a lot, Brody saying, Pete Capstick? What's below that?
Speaker 7: Hathway?
Speaker 2: Hathway? Karen without an answer, col without an answer, Set had an answer, Randall sang Peter Hathway, Capstick, Jannis saying Peter Capstick. The correct answer is Peter Capstick.
Speaker 1: Can I get it? Because I because do we?
Speaker 2: Do? We count Brody's? Well, count Brody's?
Speaker 1: Was he right?
Speaker 2: He?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: He went first name, last name, middle name.
Speaker 1: See what you got to give it?
Speaker 5: They the.
Speaker 2: Correct answer Dennis Peter. That was cap Stick's first book. Steve crossed out Capstick? Or did he underline it? That was Capstick's first book. Before he became a professional hunter in Africa, he worked as a stockbroker on Wall Street. Capstick was also the hunting and fishing director at Winchester, which took him on his first trip to Africa. The famous author died in nineteen ninety six at the age of fifty six after complications from heart surgery fail. We are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a school board all day.
Speaker 8: I didn't know that about it.
Speaker 5: In last place with two points is Ryan Callahan. Coming up next are Steve, Seth, Jannis and Dan all tied up with three points points. Oh, Kurent also has three points. Excuse me? And then in place yes, same first place are Brody and Randall with five points apiece.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like a two point lead.
Speaker 2: Five questions left.
Speaker 7: I'm keeping up with doctor Randall.
Speaker 4: Doctor Randall isn't even allowed a venmo or a PayPal.
Speaker 2: No question six. The topic is public lands. The Trail of Tears National Historic Trail passes through nine states. Name three of them. The Trail of Tears National Historic Trail passes through nine states. Name three of them.
Speaker 1: I know you don't like this kind of question, but are you the word through?
Speaker 2: Does that mean it that there is no question about it passing through a state? From this list this.
Speaker 1: It has to completely cross through.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to go from like a northern border to a southern border. If it goes one mile into that state, it passes through that state. This is according to the National Park Service. Again, the Trail of Tears National Historic Trail passes through nine states. Name three of them. How we doing over there, Randall?
Speaker 1: Pretty good?
Speaker 2: Dan? Are you going to get this one right?
Speaker 4: I think I will.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're the only one who looks confident right now, Brody, m okay. I almost asked you to name four of this State's good thing? I kept it at three. The room looks stumped. Steve, how are we doing? You have three states?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Dan saying Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado. Brody sang Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Karina Is saying Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, cal sang Oklahoma, Florida, Texas saying Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma. Randall sang Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, Jannis sang Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas. The United States are Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. How'd the room do there?
Speaker 5: Fil I think only two people, Randall got it and Steve got it.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, body, it's a tough question, Randall, Doctor Randalls in Florida, I don't know. Ended in Oklahoma, Oklahoma was a popular answer there. I think almost everybody provided that as one of them was the Shelby Index three and a half winners should get seven. The Trail of Tears National Historic Trail, which is managed by the Park Service, commemorates the forced removal of Cherokees from their homeland. The path follows the route that seventeen Cherokee detachments used from the southeast to Oklahoma. It's estimated that about one hundred thousand Native Americans traveled the Trail of Tears between eighteen thirty and eighteen fifty. Question seven. The topic is woodsmanship. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Leland Hart for sending this great question. Leland is going to get a book signed by Steve. The Missouri Department of Conservation declared this bird Hollywood's voice of choice because of how often its scream is used in cinema. The Missouri Department of Conservation declared this bird Hollywood's voice of choice because of how often its scream is used in cinema.
Speaker 1: God, I want to have such a dramatic comeback, dude.
Speaker 2: It could happen.
Speaker 1: I want it so bad, It's like I could taste it.
Speaker 7: What's going on behind you there?
Speaker 2: Krinn bumped those carrying squid Bye.
Speaker 1: I want to take Randall's face.
Speaker 2: And you know you know what you know? To ok could go a out of directions.
Speaker 1: What's that plant that we used to think would be a great thing to beat people with? And then someone sent me some in acatillo, like someone sent me these acatillos all dried out, setting antler handles for whooping. I want to whoop his face with that thing, because I used to win all the time, and then he started coming all the time, and now just to mess with me. I never get invited if he's not here.
Speaker 7: I like that You're focusing your rage on him, and he's winning right now.
Speaker 2: Steve doesn't like doctors. Again. The question is the.
Speaker 1: Never come down here without you sitting in the same place and him down there too.
Speaker 2: Ever, the Missouri Department of Conservation declared this bird Hollywood's voice of choice because of how often its scream is used in cinema. Does everybody an answer? I don't give it a shot. After we reveal the answers, Cal your turn your board the other way, can see. Are we ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying red tailed hawk, Dan sang hawk, Brody Sang red tailed hawk, Krim Sang macaw, Cal sang red tailed hank from Missouri Seth sang red tailed hawk, Randall sang sharp tail hank, Jannis sang red tail hawk. The correct answer is red tailed hawk.
Speaker 1: Can little tidbit. They often put it over a bald eagle.
Speaker 2: For some reason, the raspy scream of redtailed hawks are often dubbed over clips that show other birds in flight, like eagles and vultures. The purpose of the screech is to defend their territory and let other hawks know to stay away. Although I'm sure your imagination strong enough to hear their call here it is anyway.
Speaker 1: You know little tidbit he got and Jeremiah Johnson, you hear redtail hawk? He says, redtail hawk. He'll be to the muscleshell in hell, he's there already.
Speaker 2: Explain that to me.
Speaker 1: He's watching redtail hawk.
Speaker 5: Okay, birds can travel faster on people.
Speaker 6: Spencer, Do you guys remember the The Masters Controversymber.
Speaker 1: That piped.
Speaker 6: The wrong burden is the only time I've been very proud of people who watch golf.
Speaker 5: As a person who used to sound design for outdoors TV shows, I'm very sympathetic to that. And also that red tailed hawk. I mean, I would it's just invaluable resources, just cut to just like an open desert area.
Speaker 2: Dan, if you're ever doing a satirical show, you should really test the boundary of that and like, show a blue jay and do a red tailed hawk screams?
Speaker 8: Or no, because a blue jay can do a red tail hawks scream, so.
Speaker 2: They do have kind of a fierce called in a Western.
Speaker 3: Uh No, I have never acted in a Western. I did play Falafel Phil on the Disney Channel though.
Speaker 2: The next Western here, and I bet it will have a red tailed hawk.
Speaker 4: I get credit for hawk, right.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Get Wait, wait, hold on a second, guys, this is not right, the fact that I am right.
Speaker 5: Three hawks, redtail hawk, that hawk?
Speaker 1: That he.
Speaker 2: But that's what I'm saying for hawks.
Speaker 4: I knew that it was a hawk.
Speaker 2: Spencer will often sayed clarifications. Yeah, if you think it's a deer, you need to say white tail deer.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you something?
Speaker 3: If I had to guess, I swear to God, I would have guessed retail hawk because I live in LA where there's a ton of retel hawks.
Speaker 1: You do have to guess.
Speaker 2: How many points does he have? Phil, I didn't know any of the genus and the species. How many points does he he has?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 2: We'll give it to him. You get it right, well done, give it to him.
Speaker 5: We accepted three different answers for mops of ball soup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was the only one who got it actually right. I wasn't yelling at you know there's no noodles in chicken soup.
Speaker 1: No, I allowed it.
Speaker 2: Okay, he gets hot. The topic is hunting.
Speaker 1: What turkey can mess up my deal because I needed him to be out at eight.
Speaker 2: We'll find out. I'm guessing questions. What turkey subspecies has the second most entries in the National Wild Turkey Federation's record book? What turkeys subspecies has the second most entries in the National Wild Turkey Federation's record Book? Confident answer from Brody, This should be multiple choice. The rest of the room not as confident.
Speaker 7: I don't agree with turkey record books, but I'm pretty.
Speaker 2: Confidently when you read it one more time on days What turkey subspecies has the second most entries in the National Wild Turkey Federation's record Book? Brody, why don't you like turkey record books?
Speaker 7: That's when you're looking at a turkey strutting in a field forty yards away, there is no turkey hunter on the face of the plant.
Speaker 2: That's like, I think his.
Speaker 7: Spurs are two is beards, maybe eleven Yeah, No, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to pass on him. There are a few controversial.
Speaker 1: Jealous He's jealous because of the what this I I'll just come out and say I killed him exceptional really Turkey the spring and when he came in, all I could see was spurs. Yeah I could. I was blinded. I was just nothing.
Speaker 2: But I'm jealous of your slam. But I'm not jealous of that. Brody. Are you familiar with the Boemars at all, the people who got in big trouble. Yes, a lot of reasons not to like them. But one of them that they caught a lot of hell for a few years ago was they were on a video sitting in a blind in some like mature Tom's roll In. They're like, we think those are two and a half year old birds, and they don't shoot them for that reason. So, Brody, there are a couple folks in the world who go to that level of turkey hunting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it's those fulk It is right.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? What do you got?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying Rio's Dan sang Butterball, Brody sang Rio Kranit Sang Oscillated, Cal sang Rio, Seth sang Rio, Randall Sang, Mariams, Jannis sang Miriams. The correct answer is Rio grand Oh, yeah, you got it right. There are thirteen thousand entries in the NWTF record book for Eastern turkeys. That's followed by rios at six thousand, Merriams at five thousand, five hundred, Florida at five thousand, arrow cut at fifteen hundred, and oscillated at one thousand. Their record book program started in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: Do they have.
Speaker 2: Different you boys got lucky. They have different standards for the different.
Speaker 1: Well, YO said something stupid, you know, like because Mariams all have dinky spurs.
Speaker 2: That's the stupid thing.
Speaker 7: Is it one standard or is it like well.
Speaker 1: I don't think they even have a minute oscillated as in the subspecies, so you should have said, like and stepping outside of that.
Speaker 2: Species, stepping outside of that of the subspecies. The oscillated species has one thousand entries, not in the top four.
Speaker 1: Keeping them honest.
Speaker 4: Where's the butterball?
Speaker 1: Phil?
Speaker 2: We have two questions left? Is Dan out of the game?
Speaker 5: Yes? Dan, dude?
Speaker 3: What for?
Speaker 5: I mean, listen for a guest. He's got four points. That's a pretty solid score. Kreis, Dan and col have all been eliminated from the I'm in.
Speaker 2: Very good company. I feel like.
Speaker 5: Maybe one of my scores didn't get written down. Double check uh six has five points, Stephen Randall have six, and in first place is Brody Henderson with seven points seven points.
Speaker 2: Two questions left. Question nine. The topic is fishing. You're coming at the wrong guy here. This next great question comes to is via Caitlin Trout. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. Pyramid Lake, which is located in this state, is famous for its trout fishing style where anglers stand on top of ladders. Pyramid Lake, which is located in this state, is famous for its trout fishing style where anglers stand on top of ladders. Brody, do you know this one?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: I'm quick answer from Brody cal You look like you maybe know it.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know it?
Speaker 2: Okay, I actually think I know this one really yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: You can keep playing too, keep doing the check and I mean, for the record, you don't have to be in this state to stand on a ladder and fish.
Speaker 2: It's quite common though, at Pure mid Lake. How are we doing? Does everybody have an answer? Steve, you have a shot at this one?
Speaker 1: Uh? Can you read both mine?
Speaker 2: We can do that. It's everybody ready, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying Idaho, he crossed out California. Dan saying Nevada. Brody sang Nevada. Carina saying Idaho. Cal sang Nevada, Seth sang Nevada, Randall sang Nevada. Yanna sang Nevada. They got it. The correct answer is Nevada. Woo. Anglers on puremid Lake using ladders or often after the famous Lahontan cutthroat out, a fish that was once thought to be extinct, People used to sink milk crates there to stand on, which they'd mark with a floating duck decoy. Now most use ladders, some of which are specifically designed for fishermen. Cal have you ever been there? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, caught a couple of nice fish too, and saw some like monsters also. That got helped to do the land one.
Speaker 7: I think that that that strain of cutthroat used to hit like sixty pounds or something like.
Speaker 6: That, commercially trucked over on like wagon trains to the California side Tahoe those cities for food for food. Yeah, really cool conservation story that the tribe's doing over there. But there is a perch in that lake that I am dying to go back there and try to catch Phil.
Speaker 3: We have one question left, by the way, Can I just clarify it, I am cheating off of Brody now, so I had no idea of Nevaday, but I am cheating, and I want to thank Brody.
Speaker 2: For You're quite welcome for the latter.
Speaker 1: Phil.
Speaker 2: Where do we stand.
Speaker 5: It's down to Brody and Randall. Brody has eight points and Randall has seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, well this is exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question ten. The topic is cooking. According to a twenty fourteen survey, most Americans want their steak cooked to this donness.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 5: Can everybody look at Randall's face? He's very serious.
Speaker 2: According to a twenty fourteen survey, most Americans want their steak cooked to this dunness. Again, we need Brody to get this wrong and Randall to get this right to go to overtime. They're the only two left in the game.
Speaker 1: I already wrote mine down. Brody, give me the look what you got?
Speaker 7: Yes, anything yet, I'm waffling on what to do.
Speaker 2: Don't give me any hints here, Steve. See if you want to see Randall's board now too, so you can take it on again. According to a twenty fourteen survey, most Americans want their steak cooked to this done this.
Speaker 1: Dude. If I was still in man, God, I'm stressing out right now.
Speaker 2: Again. Brody has to get this wrong, this right? Brody, are we ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying medium rare, Dan saying well done. Brody sang medium rare. Krinn sang medium rare, Cal saying medium, Seth saying medium, Randall very bold medium well, I don't be honest saying medium rare.
Speaker 1: What's like below a doctor like like adjunk? Or why do you do that?
Speaker 2: One of you two has the correct answer between Brody and Randall. Brody, it's Brody. The correct answer is medium rare. Brody is our winner nine dominant force.
Speaker 1: Man. If I ringan a nonprofit, I would be sending Brody flowers and shit because the amount of money he'd be able to channel my way.
Speaker 2: You'd be in cahoots with him only if I'm playing this game dominating Force.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm very surprised by that.
Speaker 2: In that survey, thirty eight percent of Americans said they want their steak cooked to medium rare. That's followed by medium at thirty one percent, medium well at seventeen percent, well at eight percent, and rare at five percent. A similar study also found that steak orders can tell you a lot about a person's politics. About thirty percent of Republicans order their steak medium rare, compared to just nineteen percent of Democrats. The other biggest gap was with well done steaks, which is how twenty seven percent of Democrats order steak compared to twenty one percent.
Speaker 1: Because of how much Democrats have gluten problems relative to Republicans.
Speaker 2: Medium rare more likely they're Republican, Well done more likely.
Speaker 1: I would have a I would like to have a whole book of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious, Brody, Where is the five hundred dollars donation for meat Eater going to go?
Speaker 1: You don't like to see in that book? And I don't even know the truth, which is more likely to think they have a ghost in their house.
Speaker 7: I questions, Yeah, it's gotta be.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a tough fun.
Speaker 1: I guarantee a Democrat is more likely.
Speaker 2: I would feel like it's more like which which party is more religious? Which would seem to lean Republicans.
Speaker 1: Sure, there's a mutual exclusivity between ghosts and monotheism, and.
Speaker 7: We're not necessarily talking about the holy ghost here. We're talking about.
Speaker 1: Like that old lady that died.
Speaker 2: To have some thoughts on this, where are you going?
Speaker 3: Democrats are probably more likely to believe in ghosts, but I think Republicans are more likely to think there's a ghost that.
Speaker 2: Right, Brody, the five hundred dollars donation, where's it going to get.
Speaker 7: Meat Eater Land Access Initiative?
Speaker 2: A couple episodes in a row there, going to the Lai that pot needs some money. We have a big project coming up this year.
Speaker 1: Right, Dominating Force.
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't understand it, dominating smart guy, Dan, you did well that.
Speaker 1: It's not that.
Speaker 2: It looks like the pile of money is already gone though. Did Brody pocket that? Oh man, that was quick. We didn't even get to end the show.
Speaker 1: I was walking a little bit of coffee money.
Speaker 2: Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.