Speaker 1: Welcome to the best of the week for What's Right with Nick Right the best takes in moments from this week on the show. Enjoy. Chiefs Lose, Chiefs eliminated, Patrick injured.
Speaker 2: One of the weirdest, saddest reasons that I've had to do for this show. It was very strange, Chiefs eliminated from the playoffs after the loss of the Chargers, Patrick mahomes with the torn ACL and LCL They're done. Yesterdayson you said that this was the end of a chapter, or in the vie chapter.
Speaker 1: So I'll get into that part in a second. First, I want to say this, this is pro football, and this Yes, this is my hometown team, and yes I have a personal relationship for with Patrick, and so Andy's the face of the league and one of the defining players in league history. All of those things make this extra gutting in the short term, and we'll see what it means in the long term. But I don't want to overstate the how do I put this, because the devastation of the moment is real. The sympathy or empathy that folks should have for me, or for Chiefs fans or whatever. Right now, I think that's overstated because this is pro football, and this happens. And it was the Chief's turn to have the year from hell, and it was sadly Patrick's turned to roll craps and he was through a knee injury the last few weeks. He was on the injury report the last few weeks. You saw him laboring. We said after Week one, man, he sure ran a lot and sure took a lot of hits. And there's a tax to all of it. There just is. And there is a cost to the twenty game seasons. There is a cost to the offensive line injuries. There is a cost to Patrick's refusal to sit out a game when his knee was obviously bothering him. There is a cost to the Chiefs being in must win, gotta have it elimination games this early in the season. You extend your body, you extend plays, you put yourself out there, and this happens. This is not I am sick for Patrick. I'm sick for myself, but I'm also the Patriots and their fans watch Tom Brady go down the first week of a season. The Colts and their fans watched Peyton Manning miss a whole year with a neck injury. The Packers and their fans watched Pete Aaron Rodgers knocked out for half a season with a snapped collar bone, like the Ravens twice have had Lamar late in a year, get hurt and never come back. The Bengals and Joe Burrow have had multiple seasons derailed by the guy getting hurt. Like this is pro sports and this sport in particular, and so I am trying to balance how much it sucks that Patrick is going through this, how much the reality of We now have a line of demarcation in Patrick's career that's going to be before and after the ACL and we're going to see how he recovers from it, how he attacks it, how it changes for good or for bad, the player that he is, and I and I can recognize that and do me a favorite. Guys, don't put questions in the rundown near the top of it. Sorry, this is a production note. While we're doing it. It's good I lose my train of thought and I can recognize all of that while also not feeling like woe is me is appropriate. This has been as good of a seven year run as any football fan base has ever gotten seven years of conference championship games, five super Bowl appearances, three Super Bowl victories. That you can put it up against anything any team has done in the history of the sport. This seven years matches any seven years the Patriots had, any seven years the Niners in the eighties had, and the Steelers in the seventies is a weird one because they won four super Bowls, but they didn't get to the conference championship game every year, and they didn't get to five super Bowls. That that's a tomato tomato thing. You can say that one was better, but it's at least in the argument. And and now the Chiefs received back into football general population, and then see if they can emerge once again.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 1: Hate that I have talked about this comp so much and now it is even more apropos But you guys have heard me whenever we have done the Brady Mahomes career stuff, talk about in his eighth years a starter, Tom blew out his knee and then that team had its only real lull. Obviously they missed the playoffs the year Tom missed. They still want eleven games, by the way, which is shout out to how unbelievable, the seven Pats and eight Pats or as a roster. And then in two thousand and nine Tom wasn't his best. They won ten games and got annihilated in round one of the playoffs. And in twenty ten Tom was exceptional. That team was fourteen and two, and then they lost one of the weirdest playoff games ever Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets. And then in twenty eleven they started their run and I don't know what is I here is as far as this not being what's the right way to put this? In a weird way, I feel worse for Packer fans with the Mica injury than for Chief fans with the Mahomes injury. In this regard, I was wrong about this team. They didn't have it this year. And so had they been eleven and three in that game and or I guess ten and three because that was right? How do I have this right? I'm all scattered ten and three going into that game and had looked great. It was like, man, this is another championship level team. I think this would sting even more, but it was pretty clear it became I came to terms with where this Chiefs team was about an hour and a half before Mahomes's injury drive of the first half up thirteen to three, letting the Chargers drive the length of the field the combo platter of not being able to punch in the Herbert interception and getting seven, and then later in the second quarter allowing them to go the length of the field in forty seconds to take what could have been a seventeen to three or at the very least thirteen to three, or worst case scenario, thirteen to six lead into halftime in a must win home game, letting the Chargers, whose offense right now is not very good, go the length of the field to make it thirteen to ten, and then watching the Chiefs offense do nothing the entire second half. They didn't have it, And so this was not the chief Thiefs leaving a man left as a potential championship on the table because the quarterback got hurt. They were not good enough this year, and I was wrong. I talked a lot of shit, poked at a lot of folks as soon as they looked like the Chiefs. Again, that was a brief mirage in who this scene was this season, and I do feel demonse that they are about to have a mirror held up to some of their structural issues that Patrick was holding together over these last three weeks of the year. Because I think they are going to lose to the Tennessee Titans. I think they are going to get beat up by the Denver Broncos. Okay, and then we'll see Week eighteen Raiders Chiefs in Vegas. You know who shows up for that game. But I think with these o line injuries, this lack of a running game, and one of the bigger disappointments of this season is the lack of development from the wide receivers, I think you're going to see what this offense looks like with bad quarterback play. Because I understand Mahomes numbers after the bye the Cowboys game notwithstanding, were ghastly. The Cowboys game is the one thing propping them up. I think you're about to see what actual bad quarterback play would look like with the team right now with its issues, and I do think that there needs to be some real soul searching is too strong, but some personal accountability by everyone involved in the team, and hey, how do we make sure the next time Patrick takes the field this team doesn't have as many glaring weaknesses as it had in twenty twenty five. And listen, it's hard. There is a reason only one team ever's gone to four straight Super Bowls. There's a reason only one team ever has gone to more than seven straight conference championship games. There is a reason only three other teams ever had gone to three straight Super Bowls. What the Chiefs accomplished was certain things were unprecedented, and certain things were only you know, had only been accomplished by one or two of the other greatest dynasties ever. But you saw some of the where of the late draft picks, of guys not developing, of some a draft miss here, a free agency missed there, a poorly timed injury there. And they couldn't run the ball, and they couldn't rush the passer all year long. And these receivers who I like, I think Rashid Rice has the ability to be excellent. I saw him be exceptional for the second half of his rookie season. I know the talent Xavier Worthy has. But those guys not developing into fully formed, legitimate man beating wide receivers hurt this team a lot too. And so those are the things that you address moving forward for the Chiefs, and then you see what version of Patrick we have when he comes back.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 1: The type of competitor and legendary athlete he is, that there is a very good chance he comes back as a better player as a player that if he especially if he can't early on rely as much on his athleticism, is even more precise in the pocket and traditional drop back since then he's been the last couple of years, and so I'm not worried about Patrick, and I would put I understand it was a terrible injury and he tore two ligaments. I would put all my money on him being back for Week one next year. It's right at nine months, and I think he'll do it. And what will the team around him look like? Is the question? Demonds knows some follow ups here before we get to other stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were talking about making sure the roster was good from homes whenever he comes back. If Brett Vich hit you up today and asked what they should do to retool the team, how would you go about it?
Speaker 1: I mean, I listen, I think the biggest weakness right now is not being able to get a pass rush outside of Chris Jones, and they spent a first round pick on a player a couple of years ago who was put on the IR. This year, they spent a second round pick on Omar Norman Lot, a d tackle who was put on the IR early in the year. This was not a good Karloff this year, and they just paid him. So I think that that is the first thing that I would address, and the other one is they need to have listen. Isaiah Pacheco was an unbelievable story as a seventh round pick, and he was very productive and then and again it's pro football man, he broke his leg and has him been the same, and I feel sick for him. I hate the fact that he never really got paid. I and he's a champion and you know, really helped the team before those injuries, but he hasn't been the same since then. And they can't run the ball effectively. So what they are going to have demons next year is a third place schedule and something like the tenth, eleventh, twelfth pick of the draft, which are two things that you never would have thought they would have going into this year. And so you have to take advantage of those things, and you also have to prepare for life after Travis Kelcey. Even though it seems like a lot of people are fully convinced Travis's retire I am not fully convinced of that. I obviously not only is it possible, you could say it's likely, but I don't know that he has made up his mind.
Speaker 2: And I because I don't want to, right, And so now you don't always get to pick how you go out.
Speaker 1: Travis's brother played in the Super Bowl against the Chiefs, the famous you know when they the first Eagle Chief Super Bowl. They lost that Super Bowl. He decided to come back for one more year, and that was the year of the Eagles supernatural funk and meltdown and quitting in the playoff game. And that's how he went out. One of the greatest sinners ever. Travis lost in the Super Bowl, decided to come back. And now, like last moments with Mahomes on the field are dark, that what that was, and so I don't know. I don't know what he's going to do. He is still a good player, Is he a dominant player anymore?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Is he still one of the this year? Was he one of the five best tight ends in football, yes, and so he still has football left in him. The question is if he wants to keep doing go ahead?
Speaker 2: Do you think if it's a note that his brother he sat out that year and then his team won the Super Bowl the next year, I think his brother's got to tell him to stick in and stay with him. Maye, you guys will get this.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean, I guess that's right. Is the first year.
Speaker 2: After Yeah, they won Super Bowl? Yeah, what's your predictions for the next chapter?
Speaker 1: Listen, I think that I think that as long as you have the as long as you have Patrick Mahomes and Andy's not anywhere. And I understand there's been some criticism of Andy. I don't think this was his best year. I think Andy will is one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. And I do think that they, you know, the Chiefs offense post b enemy with Matt Nagy, hasn't been as guys are not running as wide open as they once were and things aren't quite as easy, and so they do need to address that. But I believe Andy Reid is going to be the coach of the Chiefs as long as he wants to be the coach of the Chiefs and I'm good with that. And Spags isn't going anywhere, and I believe Mahomes will come back and still be Mahomes, and so I do think that they can snap back to top tier contender. They were the favorites to win the super Bowl twenty nine days ago. But it's the NFL man like.
Speaker 3: Shit hacks crazy. I mean, ago, wait on.
Speaker 1: The super Bowl twenty nine days but you know, you gotta win games, you gotta play better, you gotta get lucky on the injury stuff, and so I will. I think that they will be the favorites in the AFC West again the start of next year. I think that. And you know, we'll get to Denver and the Chargers later in the show. I think that they will. If Buffalo does what it looks like Buffalo could do, they might have someone to go chase, which you know what, like that's how it's supposed to be. And I am not worried at all that the Chiefs are not going to get back to being the scariest team in football. I am acknowledging that this year will across the board is looked at as a failure, and then you double that up with the pain of the injury to Patrick, and you double that up with the Broncos in the Chargers having the years they've had, and it's like, Okay, they're gonna have a fight on their hands every year, so be it. I am. I think having the most talented player in the history of the sport at the most important position, who now has something to go prove is a good position to start from. Hey, guys, want to know where I bet on sports during the holiday season. Hard Rock Bet not just because it's the presenting sponsor of our show, but because they make it easy to bet on my favorite teams, players and leagues in just a few simple taps, especially with their brand new for you page that recommends picks based on my favorites and who I like to bet on. I open the app, go to my for you page, find a bet I like, and then bam, my bet is placed, just in time for me to get back to wrapping presence and enjoy my favorite Christmas movie. Sign up today and bet five dollars on any game if it wins. You also score one hundred thy dollars in bonus bets. A winning bet plus an extra one hundred fifty dollars to bet with. Now that's spreading holiday cheer. Plus. Hard Rock Bet fills your stockings with new promos daily, so whenever you're listening, just open the app check out what you've got any day of the week. Download the hard Rock Bet app and make your first deposit today. Payble and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. In Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC and all other states, must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight eight to eight. Admit it in Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. All right, demand let's get to Pats Ravens.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, so Lamar Jackson's missing practice I think he's sick again. It's that time of year. The Patriots are super relevant, Denver and Jacksonville are in the top teams of the AFC. You tie that in with Kansas City and Cincinnati missing the playoffs. Is there a new class of the AFC?
Speaker 1: So I listen, I don't. I think this is a weird year. Yeah, and in a lot of different ways, because it's not just the Chiefs, and we've talked of and every year there's big turnover, but there's not typically this level of turnover year to year. Where the the best teams in the NFL last year the teams and we've talked about this a bit, the twelve plus win teams last year, Detroit won fifteen. They're on the outside looking in on the playoffs. Kansas City won fifteen, they're eliminated from the playoffs. Minnesota one fourteen. They've been terrible. Baltimore won twelve, they're on the outside looking in on the playoffs. The Commander's won twelve. They've had season from hell. The two twelve plus win teams that have maintained some level is Philly, which I think it's fair to say is not the caliber of team they were last year and Buffalo, which might be you know, Buffalo surging at the end of the year. So that part is uh. I have talked a lot about how this year reminds me a lot of eight sadly in that that the Patriots coming off the undefeated season, Brady blows out his knee, they missed the playoffs, Peyton manning the with the Colts, they're a wild card team because the Tennessee Titans, God, I think that was the Carrie was that Carrie Collins Tennessee Titans. They end up uh being the one seed overall the and it feels like there's a lot of upheaval, which then led to one of the weirdest Super Bowls ever where the Steelers make it, which isn't that weird, but they were pretty clear going into the season third choice if that in the AFC, behind the Patriots and the steel and the Colts, with really the Ravens being right there in that conversation. And then in the NFC a nine win Arizona Cardinals team made it and that was that Super Bowl. So I say that because then the next year things kind of went back to normal. The Patriots won their division again, the Colts won fourteen games and won their division again. The Steelers ended up missing the playoffs. The in the NFC, it drew Brees and the Saints were dominant the so it was things got back to normal to a degree. So this is a weird year and there are now you do have to take more seriously. The young gun quarterback led teams in the AFC. But I don't think it's a full blown changing of the guard. So that's first of all. Now let's talk about this game specifically. Come, I'm gonna start with Lamar and I do not care if people think I'm a hater. I just don't. This is gonna sound that whatever. Gotta grow up. Man can't get sick every year in misswork.
Speaker 3: Just can't.
Speaker 1: What other quarterbacks demand? What other quarterbacks. Since we've been doing the show, can you remember us talking about, oh, critical playoff push time and he's sick again. I can't. It's it's every years.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, yeah, I'm thinking something else is going on, but uh, but yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Every year.
Speaker 3: As soon as it gets called out.
Speaker 1: Every year, when it gets called out, if you're a pro athlete, he just can't. It's every year. The guy is sick and we could you can't be like, ah, well, what does it matter? He plays on Sunday, Like missing practice this year has hurt him. He missed four weeks of practice with different injuries, or four weeks of in four weeks in a row. He missed a practice he didn't was you know? Then last week he missed a practice because of a rest day. Yesterday flew like symptoms.
Speaker 4: Like I'm sorry the but I know that this is this is me being an old man, and I understand I I I say this walking into it knowing that.
Speaker 1: Ravens and Lamar fans are going to clip this and see it and say, this guy, he's the only quarterback in the league that would get criticized for getting sick. And it's like, you know what, that's true because it's every year the guy got COVID a dozen times and then and since then, every year has the seasonal flu. Can't have it. So that's like, I know I'm right. I don't care if it sounds bad. I know I'm right. So that's first of all. Second of all, I'm not sure whether or not Lamar healthy or not is back. This past week was such a weird game because he's eight of twelve, but it's for one hundred and fifty yards. But he threw one pick, but that wasn't really his fault. But he also took four sacks, and or sacks when you throw twelve passes, means sacked on the court of your dropbacks, so that part's a little concerning. Also, Pittsburgh winning all these games, these last couple of games has really put the Ravens behind the eight ball. So none of that makes me feel good about Baltimore, which leads me to the Patriots. So go ahead and ask me the Patriots question. Because these two tie into each other.
Speaker 2: Should Patriots fans be concerned if they drop a second game in a row.
Speaker 1: Yes, because Baltimore is not that good. That's the I think that the Patriots were crushing these bad teams, and the one knock on them was you haven't played anybody, and they're like, but we played the Bills and we beat them, and then you're up twenty one zhering on the Bills and they walk you down and beat you. You then respond respond to that by Sunday Night Football National TV. A Ravens team that has been shaky, you lose that game. Then to me, I am putting you in the category of awesome season, something to build on, not real contender. Does that you seem like you think?
Speaker 3: I'm yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the same thing with the Bill is how the Bills just came back and beat them just because I just think they're older guys. I think they're more experienced. The same thing with the Ravens. I think Patriot fans should be disappointed if they lose to the Ravens.
Speaker 3: Is a good squad.
Speaker 2: You've seen how Lamar Jackson can play, and if Lamar Jackson comes back and he's good in this game, I think that it'd be pretty understandable.
Speaker 1: But I guess here's the thing. Here's here's would be my counter to that. You're right, there's no shame in losing to Baltimore. It doesn't mean you're a bad team, right, But if in your two playoff dress rehearsals you play playoff caliber teams and you lose them both, do I then think you're going to win three straight playoff games to make the Super Bowl? I don't. It's the Patriots, you know, fall to one in three on the year against teams above five hundred, which is what it would be.
Speaker 2: That's well, because you were saying, like all the Ravens are cheeks, Like you know, if you can't if you lose to them, that's a bad.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's a bit of It's not that the race and I won't call them that I was born in the eighties. It's not that I think the Ravens are terrible. It's that the Ravens we have seen over the course of the season, I think it's fair to say they're not a great team, you know what I mean, Like, Ravens are a high upside team, but we just haven't seen that upside and even last week. The defense was awesome last week. Yeah, but they scored seventeen offensive points against Cincinnati, Like, that's not a game that afterwards you're like, man, we are rolling. And so I'm very interested to see it. This game will be featured in Knicks Picks in tomorrow's show. Uh, all right, what other follow up you got before we move on?
Speaker 2: I mean, do you think that the Ravens are likely to get a head coach a new head coach next year for Lamar if they crap out this season, if.
Speaker 1: They missed the playoffs. I think hardball's out right. I just think that you may have a new team doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, new team doctor as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe, or maybe have Lamar put a coat on.
Speaker 3: I don't know, explain football outside. What do you mean?
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about I don't. I have a theory as to why Lamar gets sick so often, but I'm not sharing it.
Speaker 3: You don't think he addresses appropriately for the weather. Let's just I don't know.
Speaker 1: I I have a theory, but I'm not the I'm this is okay, it's too hot of a take, so I'm saving it. By the way, if you're thinking about upgrading to the all new iPhone seventeen Pro, designed to be the most powerful iPhone ever, but you're also thinking about the traffic on your way to the store or transferring all your data, good news. When you order a new phone online with boost Mobile, they'll send an expert to your home. How about that or a home or work to deliver your brand new iPhone Pro and get you set up on boost Mobile within minutes, no hassle. So you get the new iPhone, it comes right to you, and a tech comes in, get all your stuff transferred, get you set up on the network. Visit boostmobile dot com to get started. Delivery available for select devices purchased at boost mobile dot com. Terms of course do apply. All right, demonse, Let's talk a sneaky huge game in the AFC.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, so my Jags have been humming. Offense is looking great, defense holding up. Call them your Jazz, solid team, Jazz, you're your Jacks. They've been humming. But they got Denver this week. Well, obviously has that excellent defense. How high would your confidence be if Trevor came out of this game and dealt with that defense with a win.
Speaker 1: Oh, here's the thing. It's not just that my confidence would be high. They win this game. They are super alive. Demanse to be the one seed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their next two colts Titans.
Speaker 1: So let's just go ahead and ship them those wins. Then all you need is for Denver to slip up one once in the final two weeks. Now, that's gonna be hard to do because Denver faces what's left of the Chiefs on Christmas and then the Chargers in a game the Chargers might not need. So in that regard that, you know that it's unlikely that Denver falls, you know, loses one of those two games, but it's possible. The other thing for the Jags is this, and I do think for Trevor in particular, that matters. If they win this game, they have a great chance of not necessarily getting the buye, but being the two seed. So why does that matter? I don't think Trevor and this Jags offense, which always sudden is super potent, wants to go to New England or I guess in theory Buffalo in round two, like they want it in Florida, like that is where for this team. I think staying out of the cold as long as possible is a real benefit. And Denver it just came off it's best game of the year and Denver is playing it's best football of the year. And I've talked about this enough. No one can say I'm running from it. I am staring in the face potentially being as wrong about Denver as I've been about any team. Going from where I was on them going into the year to the end of the year. You can say, you know, it's kind of Denver and the Raiders right now are the Raiders though I was just stone wrong on but and maybe the audience accres with me on this, I don't know. I feel like a team that everyone expects to be ad, that you think can be good and then they end up being bad is not as embarrassing a type of wrong as a team that a lot of people think can be really good everyone thinks will be kind of good, and you're like, they're gonna stink, and then that team ends up being awesome. That's like the most embarrassing type of wrong. And that's what I'm staring at with Denver. I uh, but if the Jags go to Denver and win that game, you have to start opening up the possibility that don't know why the Super Bowl, Yes, yeah, that don't know why it took Trevor this long for it to click in for him. But post Thanksgiving, he's got ten touchdowns, no picks, they're scoring thirty five a game. He's been awesome, and they Liam Cohen has just done an awesome job and so and Trevor, by the way, was not playing very well earlier in the year. They were winning earlier in the year despite him, and so this would be obviously just a massive, massive win. Now the flip side is this, they lose this game, Demonse, and it becomes on the board that the Texans run him down for the division. So like that's the that's the other. So this is a huge we're talking about could the playoffs go through Jacksonville? Could they be the two seed. The flip side to all of that is, if they lose this game, the Texans path to winning the division opens up quite a bit. And so they did split, and it's a bad split because the Jags beat them early and then when they played again, that was the game the Jags were up twenty six nothing entering the fourth quarter against Davis Mills and they lost that game.
Speaker 3: So you know that is heavily of note.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, that's a huge spot. I mean, it's just an absolutely huge spot that because had they just held onto that game demans, then they would be playing this weekend to be the one seed. Right, they would be eleven and three. Denver is sitting at twelve and two, and then you beat Denver and get the tiebreaker and basically lock up the one seed. So yeah, that loss is brutal for them. But aside from that game, the Jags have been what they here's what they've done since that game. They beat the Chargers by twenty nine, a pretty lucky, ugly overtime win against Arizona. Annihilated the Titans, annihilated the Colts, annihilated the Jets. Now, if you're looking at that, I mean, like that's a lot of bad teams, agreed. But early in the year, they beat Houston, they beat San Francisco, they beat Kansas City. They have the best if such a thing exists in the NFL. They have the best losses this year. As far as who they played, they lost to Cincinnati in Week two when Burrow was still there. But I guess Browning, you know, Borough got hurt in that game. They lost to Seattle, they lost to the Rams, they lost to the Texans, So they don't have they haven't lost to any offense team. Yeah, Sonatio, but Cincinnati was with Burrow at least he Burrow started that game and they so this is massive spot for them. And on the Broncos side of things, I mean, they've just been excellent all year. I just I gotta call it like it is, and they've just been excellent all year.