Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte? And here we are back with the fantastic Adam Scott. We are going to recap season three, episode one where there's smoke, written and directed by Michael Patrick King. So here I am, and this is what we've decided to do because I mean, you guys recap on your show on your podcast about your show, but you also play the scenes, right, But we don't do that right, So what I'd like to do is I talk about the characters through line rather than like bopping around.
Speaker 2: The different Yeah. Is that cool?
Speaker 1: So the thing that I love about this, first of all, do you know Slattery? Yes, it is fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's so good on Sex and the City. So that's one of his superpowers I think is when you watch Slattery, you're just so at ease as an audience member. Absolutely, he's got this. You don't have to It's incredible.
Speaker 1: He only doesn't even have any hardly lines, Like it's crazy.
Speaker 2: He's such a presence and it's hard to believe that it was even written. It feels like it's coming. He's just great, right, he's great.
Speaker 3: I know, he's so incredible.
Speaker 2: You want them to be together. I know you want them to be together until the thing happened, which is the next episode.
Speaker 3: It was coming because I haven't seen it yet. I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 1: But also I asked him to be on the pod and he said no. And sometimes I'm like, why do they say no?
Speaker 2: And then I forget what the guys had to do, Like.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they had to do kind of it things right, Maybe they don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then like different co stars who have come on Guest Stars tell us like, oh, yes, you know.
Speaker 3: Now I'm still asked about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know. But that's the story was about the women, and think about all the dumb stuff women had to do over the years.
Speaker 3: As thank you, Adam, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes I do, yes, I do. Can take a few. Thank you so much, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I do think I think it's weird in that I think for them, and I think at the time we were somewhat aware that it was odd for them to come in and that guest our way of like the boyfriend, because as women, we were very used to being the guest our girlfriend, right, But they were not so used to being the guest our boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Was emasculating for them possibly.
Speaker 1: I mean I've never used that word to them. I've just said was it weird or uncomfortable? And they were like yeah, kind yeah yeah. And the thing I was going to say that reminded me when I watched this and I remember this time, you know, very well, because it was when things really were like clicking and happening, and you know, that first week was so hard and we were on the Staten Island ferry and I remember all of us are like, oh my god, we're on the Stateland fairy and we had to keep turning it around so that the background.
Speaker 3: Would match, so that the city would match.
Speaker 1: How we're talking about, like look at how small it looks, right, that.
Speaker 2: Was really fun.
Speaker 3: But when we're going and we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Like look at how small the island is and has all of our ex boyfriends on it, and so we had to keep turning the ferry around and the fairy is huge and people were throwing up over the side.
Speaker 2: You get seasick on the ferry.
Speaker 1: I don't, but other people did you do? Because you don't normally turn it around. Yeah, you're right, it is too big to keep, you know, circling back or whatever like how we had to do and that was an all nighter, I mean so bad, like till the sun came up, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, And luckily I just had to add crazy for that other one. But I don't really remember that as well. It's funny because I think as an actor, like you have to check out a little bit when you're gonna act all crazy like that.
Speaker 2: But it's adorable to watch.
Speaker 1: I do remember being cold because we would go back in February but still have to probably be wearing our little dresses, right, But at least in this one we get to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and I literally am like.
Speaker 1: I'm so cold, which I probably just begged them please let me say it because I've got to hold on dessert dusk. I'm crazy and we're on the water in February for God's sake, you know. But it was it was really it was fun times. But the thing that I think, so when I look at in terms of let's talk about Charlotte for a second, this is when they had sat me down and said, you know, this is when we want Charlotte to really decide that she wants to get married this year, and she's going to do whatever it takes, and she's going to be like a heat seeking missile, you know, like and soon I'm going to get the book, like I have a book that's going to talk about how to get married or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like craziness, right.
Speaker 2: Because is it in the next episode where you're like, where is he is this one? This one is this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is great, which is a great scene, And so I was I was all down for it because I knew, you know that culturally women are are like this, women are fed this thing you know about you know, getting married and having the perfect and.
Speaker 2: You only have this one window.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly and all of that I don't personally feel, didn't feel then, but I certainly knew a lot of people did. And I felt like, this is great, and I also knew that it wasn't going to work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the plan, the original plan was that Charlotte was going to be like, you know, on and on and on it. I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that. I'm going to look at it like a job. I'm going to you know, all these crazy things. I'd say, and they'd all roll their eyes at me, you know what I mean. But then it was going to work, and the idea was that it was going to find this guy just before we knew it was Kyle was going to find this guy and Gray Trey Good and I was going to find him, and he was going to look perfect, right, so everything was going to look perfect. But then everyone was going to think he was the most boring thing ever. You know, like when one of your friends married somebody you don't really love them, and like the other friends are like, you go talk to them, he's going to be like that.
Speaker 3: But then it was Kyle, and.
Speaker 2: Kyle is just not boring damn interesting.
Speaker 1: So then we all collectively fell in love with Kyle, and he stayed longer than he was ever supposed to stay, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But we still had to let him go. So it was the impotence sing replacement for the boy I think it was.
Speaker 1: I'd have to ask Michael Patrick that, but I think so, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I know who would have something that come because you couldn't build the perfect life around it, and the impotence thing could be a secret which ends up being right. Uh, And so but Charlotte is so dedicated to this idea that and all appearances were her dream true. But there's this corruption at the middle of it, right, you can't do there's nothing to be done about it, right, And then the them getting back together and does it go into season four? Is you know what? I don't even know? I mean, because that's what I was going to say too.
Speaker 1: I only watched these back in the day when we were making them for the first Yes, sometimes I don't remember well, and sometimes I remember everything.
Speaker 2: Right, so weird. I watch when some was Parks and Rack and I do not remember filming that, And it's a very weird, isn't it weird? Like some of them like what am I about to do? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Am I going to make out with these people?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: You're going to have a threesome?
Speaker 3: Right, You're like, oh my god, am I gonna No?
Speaker 2: It was a dream. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't remember having a three someme. Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Very scary.
Speaker 1: But I mean there's some things I remember, Crystal Clear, you know, like you remember that day or what was happening off camera or whatever.
Speaker 3: But when we start this episode, I see that I'm wearing a cross.
Speaker 1: So I also think that Michael Patrick and Darren already planned that the first marriage wasn't going to work out, and then I was going to fall in love with the Jewish guy and conferred because I had never worn a cross before. But I remember they started pushing these crosses on me. I have a diamond cross coming, I have a I'm wearing like an old fashioned looking cross at the beginning of this episode, like they already knew. But I don't think I knew that whole part, or if I did, I kind of was just more focused on the Kyle of it all, you know, once that came.
Speaker 2: Because Harry's definitely not till season four or five, right, I feel like I.
Speaker 1: Feel like I mean, I also feel like in my mind, I know we kept Kyle longer than we were supposed to, but I don't know that we kept them all that long. And I think this season we do like twenty one or something like in the olden days, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Wild? So many episodes, right, so many? Like I'm sure you guys did that on Parks and rec too. Yeah, twenty two crazy. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to think we shoot him in five days, right, which is also insane, insane, insane.
Speaker 2: I did a show party down we shot, we shot four days what yeah? Oh like oh yeah yeah, oh yeah, yeah it's crazy. Do you have kids yet? Yeah? They were brand new kids. Oh wow? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's crazy town, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It was crazy town. Yeah. It's hard, but it was in La. At least it was in La.
Speaker 3: Thank god, God right, thank god, God, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's recap. Let's recap. It's always so hard, especially when I have someone like yourself, when I can just talk about all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is what's great about this this episode is that Carrie is heartbroken because Big has gotten engaged to Natasha, yes, and she doesn't necessarily want a date. And then she comes across Slattery on Staten Island of all places, and I mean, who could say noice slattery?
Speaker 3: My god, but he has to.
Speaker 1: Pursue her hardcore and he's a politician, an he's a politician.
Speaker 2: Can I just say this episode has it just it has season premiere vibes, which is great. Yeah, it's just so it's like a reset. Yeah, the dancing everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone has goods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean Samantha Fir Samantha in that firehouse.
Speaker 1: I had forgotten. I had one hundred percent forgotten about that. And also and I'm off track with because I was gonna talk about Kery, but let's talk about Samantha for a second.
Speaker 3: Because when we go to that.
Speaker 1: State Island bar, which I do think we literally went to Staten Island that we had one hundred percent sure. Yeah, I did have to go to Staten Island to do riding lessons for this season two finale when I ride my horse in Central Park, which was my first time to Staten Island, and I was like, what planet have I landed on?
Speaker 2: I have what? I've never been to stat.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, Adam, You've got to go different. I mean I think it's Yes, it's totally different than the rest of Manhattan, but also they have horses and stuff like who knew like trees and horses and whatnot. But so I do think we were we were either in like Lower Manhattan. Sometimes we would go to Dumbo, like when she goes right exactly, I think she was in Dumbo with the ferry because maybe we couldn't sh to Sate Island, and I later on for this past show, rented up Airbnb and Dumbo, thinking that it.
Speaker 3: Was going to be like the old Dumbo, and then I was.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, what did I mean?
Speaker 1: It's crazy like with like you know, picture Instagram, picture ops and whatever. No, I remembered like warehouse everywhere exactly literally every corner has a swea green. It's quite quite different. But we you know, we were somewhere with those firemen taking off their shirts and I feel like they might have been real fireman.
Speaker 2: I need to check.
Speaker 1: But then like Samantha goes and talks to the one that she thinks looks the.
Speaker 2: Best, and he is so funny. Do you remember really funny? He's super dumb and really good at being I mean, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: I last how bad I had to rewind and off again, like he just keeps talking and she doesn't want him to talk.
Speaker 2: Hys directly funny, so funny, and hats off to her doing that too.
Speaker 1: I had forgotten it was incredible and I had not remembered it. And when she is so she's she goes to the house, which also like what.
Speaker 2: On earth you know?
Speaker 1: And then she's and then the voice over says like, then Samantha realized, because we do bring up I love the whole rescue theme, you know. And this is when Charlotte, you know, Charlotte goes out dancing, you know, realizes I guess for the first time that she's a catch, which is hysterical, right, and Carrie's like, yes, darlinge yes.
Speaker 2: And then the next morning we're hungover.
Speaker 1: Everyone's hungover, but I'm particularly hungover, and I get to film that scene that then we played at every award show and I got to hear everybody laugh where I say, like, you know, I've been dating since I was fifteen, Where is.
Speaker 2: My hair hurts?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Which was so great and quintessentially Charlotte. And when I die, they can just show that it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what I mean. There's so much more too, and there is what I mean that would be fine.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like when things work, you're just like, thank god. Right, So that worked really well, but everybody's got like and at that coffee shop scene, that's one of my favorite coffee shop scenes. Yeah, because I hungover hungover when we're and then we're talking about Fireman and why does everyone like Fireman, and this is pre nine to eleven, yeah, which is also kind of amazing. Right, we're talking about the hero and like just the look in their eyes that they will save you.
Speaker 2: And it's so interesting that once you guys all sort of land on that, everyone stops talking for a minute and just kind of absorbs this reality that you've all stumbled upon, and you're just like, it's so good, it's so good, it's so good. And then Slattery does rescue her, then she rescues him absolutely absolutely. But also Charlotte's dance yes, is really iconic too. It's so sweet, thank you, And she's just having a moment of your which is nice self generated right and also depending on any free right, but not depending on the attention of ay. That's that's true. She is having her own happiness in that moment. That's so true.
Speaker 1: That's so true, because earlier I've screwed my face all up into a weird thing and said like there's no datable men here, like you know, so charlottey judge. But then she sets herself free and has a funny dance to like a weird song. I remember when Michael Patrick I was thinking it would be something that we knew, you know, that I would have to live.
Speaker 2: Remember, it's a very strange song.
Speaker 1: I still don't even remember, because I remember I had to like study it, like what that heck was?
Speaker 2: I think it was cheap.
Speaker 1: I think that was totally it. And I was like, couldn't we do something else? And he's like, no, you have to do this one.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, because there was an expensive song earlier in the episode. Right, let's see.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. I think that's right. I mean expensive for the time, right, Yes, exactly so, And I remember that at that time because also Sarah Jessica does a little dance the cameras above us. We would get a choreographer because we were so nervous about any dancing. If they said the word dance, the choreographer would be called to just hold our hands.
Speaker 2: I get it, because it's yeah, and it's embarrassing in front of everybody, totally.
Speaker 3: You got to free yourself up somehow, and if you know some steps.
Speaker 2: Or like an idea really drunk, so you have.
Speaker 1: To pretend that, yes, you're absolutely pretending that as well. We never we never drank real drinks, no matter other people did.
Speaker 2: On other sets. I guess I've been finding out through this podcast. I feel like I would that would I think that would be terrible because then three hours later you're going to be like feeling like definitely over and you have to work another night, another one, and you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Do other scenes where you're not drunk. I don't even understand how that works. Yeah, I'm sober also, so that would be a problem. But I didn't have to do that, so it's all good. But yeah, it was always fun for Charlotte to play drunk, to be drunk because she would be free, you know, which was so nice. So we all have this moment which I think the entire scene of the you know, do women just want to be rescued? I think is an incredible theme and holds up still.
Speaker 2: And a great way to launch the season.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we launch of the season and still such a we could do a new show now about that, you know, like, do women still want to be rescued? I kind of feel like they do.
Speaker 2: Well, everything in the show is evergreen, don't you think. I do think you guys are I do?
Speaker 1: I mean, every once in a while there'll be something where we say something weird, like the Do you know Danny Futterman, Oh yeah, and he played the metro sexual and that was a word good he's so good. Yeah, it was a word that didn't survive, right, like.
Speaker 2: We're remember that, I remember the past that. Yes, yes, so sometimes there's something like that. There's little cultural things, right, but like.
Speaker 3: The bigger themes I think are one still true.
Speaker 2: I think even in that case, the fact that these four women come to that conclusion is still interesting and still resonant that that's where they land and they all four of them at the same time are like, yeah, okay in two thousand and one or two thousand, two thousand, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it of it.
Speaker 1: But I think it's great because it is still something that I mean, I guess it's specific now to everybody, right, like do they want to be rescued or don't they? I mean I didn't want to be rescued at the time, but I certainly knew that I was supposed to want to be rescued.
Speaker 2: Right, which also gets a reaction, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So my reaction was like no, yeah, I will not be rescued. I will be super independent. Yeah, get away from me. Don't open that door, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean? Well, you can still be independent and still want that feeling even if you don't. Even if that feeling is it doesn't preclude you from carrying on with your life. Maybe I don't know. I do think that's true.
Speaker 1: I mean I did eventually go out with someone who used to save me, Like, could you just relax with the independence a little bit? He was Australian, so I'm not going to go too much into detail. And I'd be like, what do you mean? He'd be like, well, like, for instance, you know, just let me order. I'd be like, okay, all right, I'll try, you know, you know what I mean, Like you could give it up, you know what I mean, I could give up.
Speaker 3: I didn't need to have it, you know what I'm saying, But you have to.
Speaker 1: I think I had to prove to myself that I could be independent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's where you are exactly.
Speaker 2: And I mean I was then too. But then I could also just let him.
Speaker 1: Have the power if he needed to have the power, if that made him feel good, sure, and it made me feel good. And then one time I got sick and he was there and I let him take care of me.
Speaker 2: I remember that a big.
Speaker 1: Thing, big step, big step, and he was very good at it.
Speaker 2: And I was like, that's nice, and was it? And was it a nice feeling to have someone? It was a good feeling.
Speaker 1: It would have been very because we were on location and and and he just happened to be visiting. And if he hadn't been there, I would have just gutted it out by myself. Like I wouldn't have called anybody because I wouldn't have wanted to worry anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. Yeah, like when you're on location, you don't want to scare everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, because I already I had had the weekend off.
Speaker 1: But I was like, I would have just holed up in that little hotel room by myself.
Speaker 2: So it was nice. So it's sometimes nice, yeah, right, let someone, even if it's for their sake, to let them feel like art take you know.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, But I think and that's why it was and still is, you know, whenever I do play Charlotte. Still interesting is that she wanted all these things, but then is also super super capable, right, yes, but still thought she wanted the fantasy, yes, and then has to let go of elements of the fancy but still found the good guy.
Speaker 2: That's right, you know.
Speaker 1: But then like when if you ever are on a plane and watch and just like that, you will see like Charlotte runs that family.
Speaker 2: Yeah interesting, Yeah, it's great. But don't you think Harry also he's powerful. But he also one of the things he loves about her, at least in Sex and the City when they when they meet, and then the movies as well, is that he does love that she's independent and she can't take care of her definitely, and he doesn't think she needs him to rescue her.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Definitely. They have a very good partnership. Yeah, yeah, definitely. He respects her from the start, absolutely, and that's I think the thing that that that catches her off, and you know it's so attractive, right, like the kind of deep respect and also he's just such a good human being, you know, which is what's also.
Speaker 2: Doesn't really take any of her No, No, he doesn't. That's a good point.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: And I mean I haven't gotten to rewatch that part yet, and I feel like I'm really going to discover a lot when I do. Do you know what I mean, but when I yeah, yeah, because you know, like sometimes when I rewatch, I'm like, wow, I didn't like see all these subtleties, you know, because you're.
Speaker 2: Interesting, because it's super interesting. When they meet, it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Evan's great.
Speaker 2: I love yes and I love you two together. It's so fun. Thank you. I mean, we lucked out with him. We lucked out with him.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: I know I'm going to have to keep rewatching, but I do. I have to ask you this question because one of the reasons that I think about Evan and I think about how lucky we are is that that part was written for another actor that Michael saw doing a play off Broadway, and then it became between that actor and Evan.
Speaker 3: And Evan, we used to.
Speaker 1: Get to read with the people who were in the finalist for our main guys, right, not Kyle Kyle. Michael met it a picnic and just told me it's going to be a comicgoaguah.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, we're you going to say, right?
Speaker 1: But Evan came in in this audition with props and he took this this big muffin out and just ate it and talked with like crumbs coming out as well, right, like super confident. And I remember seeing and I don't know if this was intentional or not in the lead up to the Emmys, that Britt's audition tape.
Speaker 3: Did you see that?
Speaker 2: It like got out? Like how does that happen? So interesting? I mean I think they put it out they got it because it was so incredible. I mean, my god, Yeah, she sent that in and it was an incredible tape and then came in and we read together, got it and she was great. But yeah, that that and he.
Speaker 3: Showed you the tape because this is in the self tape era.
Speaker 2: Right, the tape it it got it right. But but I hadn't seen it when she came to read. I hadn't seen it yet, okay, but I knew brit from before good and when she walked in, I was like, oh my god, yeah, of course Britt, and I knew immediately, was like, that's that's that's her.
Speaker 3: And she's so perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely amazing, amazing, Like when you see that self table, I mean it is it's a perfection. Everything is there and that's a hard, hard scene, not easy, good lord, so impressive. Anyway, Sorry, I'm always curious about when they released those things, like how does it happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, I mean I wish this is so great? Should put this? Yeah? Cool, cool, cool cool. I totally agree.
Speaker 1: All right, Samantha's in that firehouse, So I had forgotten that. She goes to the literal firehouse and thinks it's going to have some like sex fantasy, and all.
Speaker 2: These dudes are there just stirring at her like hunky.
Speaker 1: They're not all hunky, of course, and then she's like, why are all the outfits here on the floor, you know, it's just really funny. He's like for a fire and then of course the bell goes off, and then she she before that, when she gets gets in his or whatever, she looks so incredibly cute, like it's so fantastic.
Speaker 2: But then that fireman.
Speaker 1: Really yells at her like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, it's so good.
Speaker 1: And then she's standing there by herself in the firehouse with no clothes, very brave, very brave, very brave on her part, and really incredibly good. Like, you're right, every single storyline is so so good, and it's.
Speaker 2: Such a compact amount of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Michael Patrick wrote and directed amazing. That's him at his he's like all cylinders firing.
Speaker 2: So then we've got Maranda, who is you.
Speaker 1: Know, struggling this Really I related to this so much, talking about independence. She's got to go have her laces, and she doesn't want to call a friend. I've been in this place so many times. I'm like, I won't need a friend. Well, you have a wife, right, But do you still try not to.
Speaker 2: Well I remember in my single day like moving by myself, exactly, I don't want anyone to help me, right, I don't need help.
Speaker 3: I don't need help. And then you're like, oh my god, my back is killing.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, And like Marana.
Speaker 1: Is so adorable, Like she wakes up from blastis and they told her every different way that she needs a friend, and she wants Carrie. She doesn't want Steve, and David tries his little sweet self and then she wakes up and sell blurry and she sees in there.
Speaker 2: And it's nice, so sweet. Isn't he so good? David Eigenberg, Yeah, it's incredible, And and I love that she writes those big notes for herself. Chinese restaurant, which is the same Chinese restaurant she orders from the whole series. It's a through line.
Speaker 1: It's a very important through line place I know. And that's the other thing rewatching where I really respect the writers so much, you know, like the details. On the other hand, I would also say there are sometimes inconsistencies which in the olden days, pre social media, we were allowed to get away with us, and now we are not.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, one thing that you notice is that when you guys go to restaurants on the show, often it's the exact same menu. Have you noticed that, Yes, it's our prop. People are like, get out the restaurant menu, totally, totally.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's because we are at a real restaurant that we are going to use as the real restaurant for one scene in one episode, but we would crossboard.
Speaker 3: We'd shoot to.
Speaker 1: It once right, and so then in the back we would have asked for like a back room, and we've dressed it differently to be like an innocuous restaurant, so we can use that restaurant twice and get.
Speaker 3: Away with it.
Speaker 1: But yes, little details like that I do sometimes see I'm like, oh, that's funny, that's the like it's got like onion soup or whatever on it.
Speaker 2: Like I see stuff like that and love it. Why so why so.
Speaker 1: Do I as actors? I mean, because we understand why you know what I mean. But like you guys on Severance could never get away with any No.
Speaker 2: But one thing I do notice too is when people look down for their marks. But whenever I pointed out that, my wife is like, what, it's so actor thing that we look at it. I know, I know, I love it. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: But I remember, like when I first was guest starring or whatever. I mean, the panic about your mark and if you have to docy dough yeah, back in the olden days.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Or if you're doing a long walk and Talk and you have to land on a thing, right, I mean this was our show, the Walk and Talk. I mean, oh yeah, I'm sure. And you're out in the wild, in.
Speaker 1: The wild with the strangers yelling at us and whatnot.
Speaker 2: You feel it too, in these greats? Oh absolutely, absolutely, Sorry, you're trying. It's okay.
Speaker 1: I want to recap it. I mean, also I just like to talk, okay, Miranda's storyline. I mean, I think we did the important part. The important part is that it's adorable. And then when she does wake up and she sees Steve, and she puts her hand in his hands. Yes, Oh my god, it's the sweetest.
Speaker 2: She wakes up and takes the.
Speaker 1: Goble and she can see clearly, and then she puts she sees him clearly.
Speaker 3: Is it's incredible.
Speaker 2: It's so good. I do too. And I I did not appreciate him at the time. I've said this already, Yeah, And I mean not that I didn't think he was great or whatever.
Speaker 1: I just I think I liked when we were all single somehow, you know, And I didn't really understand how incredibly good he was and how opposite they were and complimentary, and how good the writing was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she certainly fights it. Yeah, but that makes sense. You love someone, you love them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, even if they aren't what you pictured, and even if you didn't even think you wanted to get married and whatever, and if you want to be a partner at your law firm more than you want to get married.
Speaker 2: It's all the different things. And he embarrasses here and he makes dumb jokes, and she's like, god, you know, fights it every step of the way, every step of the way. And she's just so good. They're both so good, so good. I know, I know, right Owerhouse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's continue on the carry of it all.
Speaker 2: And then my I mean, she doesn't want to date this guy, but he's so charming. I mean, who could say nobody shows up with her voter registration film.
Speaker 3: That's not the cutest thing.
Speaker 2: And also can you believe she didn't vote? I know has such residence, but it's so it's a really interesting character thing for Carrie, It's like.
Speaker 1: Right, And also her devotion to shoes in this particular episode, My god, this is leading up to that she's in debt. This is when I think they're really thinking about.
Speaker 2: When they get to her borrowing money.
Speaker 1: From exactly exactly wanting my ring, yeah, to pay off her shoe.
Speaker 2: Debt, which is yeah, because but that yeah, because that's after Trey, right, right, So they're they're they're really at this point.
Speaker 1: I think they've got their writer's room together before the show and they're really planning.
Speaker 2: And then also, is it post split up with Trey that you're walking and synth you follows.
Speaker 1: You Oh yeah, when I went, well, no, no, I'm still with Tree, because that's when I really know that I can't have a baby. And I remember when he gets that paper baby out that that that that poster baby.
Speaker 2: Not a great move, I know, not a great movie. And I think thought it would just be a little chuckle or whatever.
Speaker 3: I know, that's when he's really annoying. Oh boy, but he's still him.
Speaker 2: Are you walking home? And the voiceover saying because she knew if she would turn around, That's like, I know.
Speaker 1: It was good, really good. It was really good. I look back on those storylines. I haven't watched it again yet, right, but I look back on them, and I think in some ways I was a little young, like all my friends hadn't started going through that yet, do you know what I mean? Like there was a time maybe like five years after that where like all my friends are going through IVY, like everybody in It's hell, you know what I mean. We hadn't really known people yet so much who had done that. And I wonder if I did it justice?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Yes you did. Okay, It's so good. It's so good, not just that, but also it's it's it's the Charlotte is going through so much because there's infertility, but then there's the marriage falling apart, and she has to redefine herself. She knows she can't do this, she knows she can't stay with this guy, and it takes a while for her to actually come to terms with that and make the move right. She can't do it. No, it's hard. It's because you had everything and Bunny away and because the apartment, the money, it's just like impossible. But also that scene with Miranda following Charlotte home, it's it's also it's it's it's it's a little micro moment of what the show really earns and builds, which is these four women are bulletproof when they're together. They'll do anything for each Oh dude, yes, yeah, yeah, yes, so good. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: That I think is the legacy, you know, in so many ways. I mean, there's so many different elements of the legacy. One is the talking freely about sex, of course, but like the women being together, not being pitted against each other ever at all, which is shocking for TV show at the time, which is so bizarre, right, yeah, but I'd come from Meloe's place, where like that's all you ever were were pitted against that, right, the other women, you know, like soap opera ish, right, But the fact that we were chosen family, and that we were there for all of it, and that we were the you know, writer or dies or however you want to talk about it. And I do feel like culturally now that's much more celebrated, I think with men as well. So I feel like men are like a little behind with the you know, male friendship being celebrated or whatever. You know, like it's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredibly important, right, yeah, and that was that was all You're right that that was a huge part of it too. There were so many firsts with the ship. Oh yeah, it's all just so valuable. You're so sweet to be such a fan. I love it and you're incredible. Adam. Yes, are you a Charlotte. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: Any answer is except.
Speaker 2: Feel like I'm a Miranda. WHOA really? I think? So that's interesting. I think so in what way I think that Miranda is. I see, I don't like putting any of them in boxes because I think they're all like whole human beings. That's one of the superpowers of the show is they all are lots of different things. Yes, so, but I think that the sort of resistance of Miranda and the sort of isolation of Miranda that she that she kind of thought was her ethos and then eventually discovered was not. I I kind of connected.
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, wouldn't have seen that coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I I but then I also connect with Charlotte on things and and Carrie and really well, I mean I don't know, but I think that they're all that's storable. I think they're all h They're all. You can find entry points with all of them.
Speaker 1: Definitely, for sure, for sure, for sure and that and over time, some people tell me like, well, when I first started, I was a Carrie and then I kind of went through my Charlotte face, and now I'm divorced.
Speaker 2: I'm in my Samantha fase. I'm like, that's cool, it's all good, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean I would have always said and I think this is still true. I have to guess I have to rethink it. But I'm like kind of Charlotte kind of carry.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting. It's so interesting just to hear kind of where you were when you were shooting the show and how different you are from I.
Speaker 3: Mean, in some ways so different.
Speaker 1: Also, I've adopted children, so you know, some big similarities. But I did it on camera first, Yeah, which is weird. Interesting, I know, weird, right, But I think I think Michael Patrick knew that I had that in my mind as a possibility. You know what I'm saying. I would have to ask him. I don't know what came first, like us talking about it or you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's all very interesting.
Speaker 3: That's great, I know, but it's fun.
Speaker 1: But you're just so sweet that you I had no idea that you had rewatched three times.
Speaker 3: You're like way ahead of me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and because you had me watch this episode now, Like I said, this morning, I was watching. I kept watching a few episodes. It's just hard to not continue watching. It's which is so nice. I feel that way about Parks and Wright. Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, Adam, You're incredible.
Speaker 2: You're so nice to have me just as a fan. This is really terrific. So thank you for having me. It's a joy for me. It's a joy for me. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: The stand Distant pastis