Speaker 1: I mean, you slot this guy right into the two hole I think in this lineup, and you instantly have two of the best top of the order guys right now with Lindor and Sodo.
Speaker 2: All right, our buddy draftneck Mark, he's here, Mark Ueno, who is co host of Mets Up, part of the Ft Network the Ft fam Draft neck Mark.
Speaker 3: Mark.
Speaker 2: Great to see you, man. Appreciate the time, and I will just preface this. We will go right into storylines because we're tight on time. I know Kratz. Krats is concerned, he's concerned here. I want to include this Kratz. We'll do this within the storylines question. But the one thing I do want to bring up before we start, Mark is we got a couple comments yesterday from Mets fans saying, what is it you guys don't like the Mets. They're the only team you haven't know that. They're the last team we cover for storylines because we wanted to make sure that we got all the moves out of the way, because this team was wheeling and dealing a little bit. So that's a compliment. We're saving best for last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, love it, love it. I mean, I'm happy to be on the show. Happy to be talking about the Mets. A lot of good things going on for the Origin Blue this year.
Speaker 4: I'm pumped.
Speaker 2: That's right. So let's hit storylines and you'll like this little animation we got. Okay, let's run through the game plan here as we preview the New York Mets this season. This seven hundred and sixty five million dollar man, what's it going to look like in year one? Polar Bear is back with the Metropolitan, so the lineups should be really cranking. What about the pitching lab magic that really struck last year? Can it strike again? Obviously Montas has hurt already, Mania's back Clay Holmes in the rotation, and then the bullpen. Is it better? It was definitely a question mark last year. I felt like they didn't think they were going to be in an LCS team, so if they were, they probably would have loaded up a little bit more. But they got Mentor, so we'll see if it looks better now. All right, let's start at the top here, draftneck Mark, Juan Soto. It's real. I know it still feels weird, but it's real. What's this going to look like in the lineup?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty insane that he's on this team. Like watching all the videos of him taking VP and interacting with the guys and just having Mets stuff on is still insane. I mean, you slot this guy right into the two hole, I think in this lineup, and you instantly have two of the best top of the order guys right now with Lindor and Soto, and then you have some power behind him with Fientos Alonso. Whichever way you want to go there, maybe even Nimo moves up in the lineup. Just adding one of the best players in Major League Baseball to a lineup that was good enough last year. They want to be better, and that's the way you do it. You grab a guy like Juan Soto who doesn't just help on the power department but gets on base, is one of the best offensive players in the entire league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got the polar Bear, Big Doli, this guy. We've been talking about him for a lot, whether he's going to go back with the Mets, whether or not he will finally made a decision to come back. There is this the right decision? Is Pete happy? Talk a little bit about the Mets and where they're moving forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm sure Pete's not as one hundred percent happy. I mean, you know that he wanted a big concent, wanted to get those years, he wanted to get that money, and obviously that's not what ended up happening. But I'm sure that Pete at a base level is pretty excited. Me he's getting paid like close to thirty million dollars this year to play first base for the Mets. I really don't think that he ever wanted to leave New York everything that I've heard, he loved the city, loved playing for the team, wanted to be a part of this team. It's just he wanted to get paid. Unfortunately, he's coming off of one of his weaker seasons, which was still really good. I think a lot of people forget that he was a great player still last year, but money wise and maybe contract wise, not happy. But I think in terms of fit and feel and just kind of whole attitude atmosphere, I think Pete's super pumped to be able to hit behind two amazing players in Wan so Too and Francisco Lindor.
Speaker 4: Big year from Pete, But the biggest year that the Mets are gonna need is that pitching lab Magic. Are they going to be able to re redo what they did with Severarno how they helped Sean Manaia because Sean and I is gonna have to replicate what he did. And they were hoping Frankie mount Toss was going too, but he's already starting the season late and Clay Holmes hasn't really been that great of a starter. So is this really where the Mets are leaning on? And is it too big of a crutch to lean on with such a great lineup.
Speaker 1: I think it's definitely going to be really scary at first, But this is kind of the chaos David Searns experience. I mean, even look at the teams that he had in Milwaukee with the Brewers, it felt like every single year going into the season, you would say, we need more pitching. That Brewers team needs to go get a big arm, they need to go get a front line starter. And that's kind of where the Mets lie. But a couple big things that are going to really help this team out.
Speaker 4: As one.
Speaker 1: Having Code I sang A back and healthy for the entire year is so massive for this team. He was incredible for them in twenty twenty three In his first season, and while he got to pitched towards the end of the year, that wasn't a fully healthy code. I that was a rush code. I I think we're gonna see big things from him. Manaia just keep doing what he's been doing. The changes that Jeremy Hefner was able to make with him in terms of his repertoire and armslot and release were incredible, and I really hope that that continues this upcoming season. I'm really excited about David Peterson. I think a lot of people are sleeping on him. He had a hip injury he got to fix, had a surgery last year, and from then on out he was one of the most consistent pitchers in the Mets rotation. Now, I don't think Peterson's gonna be this ace Cy young caliber guy in this rotation by any means, but as someone who goes out there every five days gives you five to six even sometimes seven innings. The Mets won almost every start he was on the mound last year, and I know wins and losses kind of get lost in the shuffle now in Major League Baseball and how we talk about pitching, But a guy like David Peterson every five days gives him a chance to win. I really like how crazy and scary that this rotation is. I think it's not as scary as it was last year where Severino and Manaia. Let's be honest, coming into the year where two of the worst pitchers in baseball the prior season. So I think there's a little more stability. But it's definitely going to drive a lot of Mets fans insane when you see guys like Griffin Canning pitching and maybe he gets lit up for one game every once in a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that might happen. That's just part of baseball and part of being a big leagues Now you talk about the pitching staff, we haven't talked about the bullpen here because nowadays the bullpen is one of the biggest pieces for championship teams to cruise along and dominate because once that pitcher goes away, next thing, you know, you need your bullpen. You had a J Menneri's just coming off hip surgery. Talk a little bit about the bullpen. Are they ready to make a championship run here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think the bullpen is a lot of fun because you have a guy like Edwin Diaz at the end, who's one of the best closers in baseball. Even coming off of a major injury last season, he was still really good despite some scuffles here and there. But you have a guy like Reid Garrett and Dad Neil Nunyaz, who are two guys that on the Mess Up podcast we talk about a ton. They have a lot of really fun stuff. Dad Neil Nunyaz, when he pitched last year, was a huge part, a huge stopper for this team and really gave us some beginnings. And then you adding guys like Bryan Stanick, aj Minter Jose Budo, who was a really surprising bullpen change, I guess in the previous year because he was supposed to be a starter, but moving him to the bullpen, he got some huge outs. I love what David Stearns does with the bullpen and even said it last year going into the year, just because our bullpen looks one way on opening day doesn't mean it will look that way by the end of the season. He's willing to tinker, he's willing to change guys. Jeremy Hefner, Eric Gegers are always working with these guys to try out new things to make them better. There's gonna be again some chaos for sure with this Mets bullpen, just like it will be with the starting rotation. But I think the process and what they look for in their pitchers allows them to be a little bit more I guess crazy in their approach of guys that they go after.
Speaker 2: Wait, let's finish with this. What did you give them for their offseason grade? Oh?
Speaker 1: I give them Mets anay. I mean I'm a biased Mets fan, so of course I'm gonna give them a nay. But also at the same time, when you sign Juan Soto, when you signed the best player of the entire offseason, I think it starts and ends at A.
Speaker 4: It would have.
Speaker 1: I don't even think if they didn't get Pete they wouldn't get an A. I still think that they would have been a better team than they were in the previous year. So definitely an a agreed.
Speaker 2: Great call. Cratsy Okay, okay, if you want to let.
Speaker 4: I just want I just want to know because I was attacked on Twitter by the Mets community, which clearly doesn't allow anybody else in because I tried to reply to some of them and they said, you have to be invited. So I would love to be invited into the Mets community to conversate about your Mets team. And they said, hey, Giraffneckmark is about to cook this fool, So if you haven't, go ahead and cook me for calling the Mets team still a playoff team, but just the third place playoff team.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, I'm totally okay with you doubting them. They were doubted last year. I even doubted them last year. I didn't think they were necessarily going to be a playoff team. So I'm cool with people kind of sleeping on the team a little bit. We don't need to target on our back. The targets on the Dodgers back, the targets on the Phillies and the Braves back. Keep sleeping on the Mets. Will take a look what it looks like at the end of the season and will win. They're towards the top of the division, probably even in first place. Then they can let the talking do for themselves. But you know, they made a good run last year, they got even better. I've got all the faith in this team, and especially with the decision making at the top.
Speaker 2: To win a wild card. Are they a first place team?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Are they the first place team in the East? Say it with your chest.
Speaker 1: They're not the first place team in the East right now. I I do not think that they are. But I think right now that they have a possibility to become the first place season the team of the East. But I think on paper, they are not the best team right now in the East by any means. Right now, I think they could be a third place team. I think they're a second place team. Honestly, that's where I would put them right now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, but here's the thing. I love that the Grades and the Phillies are good. So it's not like Crat was saying, oh, too crappy teams are both gonna come out of the woodwork and be really good, Like these are two good teams. So it's people twisted, like chance to win ninety games, finishing third and win a World Series or you know, upset the Dodgers in the NLCS.
Speaker 4: Whatever messed up? Everybody, Click on the link, hit a subscribe button, right, yes, hit the subscribe buttonsubscribe to the podcast. Thanks for having me on, guys, appreciate it. Let's go Mets. Appreciate just some mess up podcast there. This is, I mean, what a great year to come on board the Foul territory with a mets up, all the Blake breaking news. They're always on doing it right