Speaker 1: I Am all In Again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 3: I Smell pop Culture with Easton Allen and I Heart Radio podcast. Hey, everybody, my name's Easton Allen. You just heard Scott Patterson say my name.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Scott's voice said it. That wasn't manufacturer, that wasn't an edit. He actually said my name. This is I Smell pop Culture. We are a subsidiary. We are a spin off. We are in the feed of I Am all In Again and I Heart Radio Podcast one eleven productions. I Heart Radio, I Heart Media, I Hurt Podcasts. We're doing something so exciting here on this show. So you're here because you'll love Gilmore Girls, right, we all love Gilmore Girls. We want to live in stars Hollow, We want to hang out with Rory and Lourlai. You are here because you love of the pop culture references in Gilmour Girls. That's why I'm here. I love it too. I have been knighted. I have been appointed by Scott Patterson to go deeper than just listing off the pop culture references. No, no, no, We're going to talk to the people that created them, that are behind them, that are these pop culture moments and this week, We're going to another part of the WB verse.
Speaker 1: This is a show called Felicity.
Speaker 3: Some of you might be Felicity fans, some of you may not have ever seen it. It is streaming on Hulu. You can watch Felicity now, but it was referenced in season three, episode twenty one, Here Comes the Sun. Okay, get ready for this reference. Lorela and Paris are selling tickets to Chilton's grad night. No one's really coming to buy it, no one's biting so that they're kind of bored. So Paris suggests that Lurlai unbuttons her top to get more attention, and Laurela changes the subject quickly and wants to talk about where Paris is going to go to college. Paris says it's between Princeton, Columbia, and Yale, and she says Princeton's a good school, but Jamie goes there, and if I go there, it looks like I went there just to be with him. Suddenly in Felicity without the hair issues. So Felicity and Gilmargirls were both shows on the w W WWWB in the early two thousands. They were kind of like Felicity was on its way out as Gilmergirls was starting, Felicity ended in two thousand and two, and Gilmergirl's premiered in two thousand of course, so a couple of years of overlap, but they share a lot of similarities here. They have many multiversal connections. The actress who plays our beloved laying Keiko Gina. She's in Felicity as well as Gilmore Girls, and Felicity is about a young woman following her boyfriend from Palo Alto California, northern California to New York City to go to a fictional on New York University. Similar themes to Gilmore Girls. Uh uh, Felicity a bit more, a bit more dramatic, heavier, heavier stuff, but very similar themes otherwise. So what we're going to do this week, We're going to talk to one of our favorite characters from Felicity. We're going to talk to Greg Grunberg. He played Sean. He's Sean's the friend on Felicity. He was like, he did not go to college with them. He was an older guy who like lived off campus, and he was kind of their goofy friend who always had an idea for an invention. He had all these like entrepreneurial ideas. These different businesses like, uh, we'll talk about this with Greg, but things like flavored pen caps, bagel knobs those are bagel like donut holes injected with cream cheese and locks. Really cool stuff like that. But here's the thing about Greg Grunberg. He's a major part of Felicity. He hosts a Felicity podcast called Dear Felicity. He went back and we watched all the episodes. This guy has been in everything everything. He is a childhood friend of jj Abrams and they are longtime collaborators. I mean, Greg has been in Heroes, Alias, Lost, Mission Impossible, Three, Star Wars, Star Trek. How many people can say they've been in Star Wars and Star Trek. I mean, come on, this guy has so much cool stuff on his resume. He's the coolest dude in the world, and we're gonna get to know him. He's here now, Greg Grumberg, thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We are so excited. Were such big fans.
Speaker 2: Dude, Are you kidding me? Come on, I'm a huge fan of Gilmore girl, That's not true at all. I'm I'm a fan. I'm a fan of everything that Gilmore Girls represented. You know, I was like around when all of that happened. Obviously, I'm working I worked with Myleo Vntimilia for years. He's won a dear friend of mine. And you know, I have my own podcast, Felicity Podcast that we do. So this is like when you guys asked, I'm like, of course, let's talk that time was so important in my career, to my family, to everything. And you know, it's interesting what we've found on our podcast is talking to everybody that was involved in the show. It like you like we were talking about before we went on the air, It's so little about the show, more about what that show represented, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, you guys like Felicity and Gilmore Girls kind of almost like ships.
Speaker 1: In the night on the WB.
Speaker 3: I mean like, yeah, you guys ended in two thousand and two, Gilmore Girl's premiere in two thousand, so it was a bit of overlap. I mean, do you remember did you guys get compared a lot during this couple of years you were both on the air.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean this was back when networks had more of an identity. They really knew what they wanted to be you know, Fox was doing this crazy kind of like not experimental stuff, but even their comedy stuff was just out there, and you know, the animation and all that stuff, and the WB, you know, which then became the CW Right, the WB was it was that teen Angst, It was Dawson's Creek. It was us and Buffy and and Gilmore Girls, and like you know, like JJ often joked and we would joke, we'd be like, you know, if if Ben was a werewolf, maybe we would have gotten a couple more years. You know, it's just because they but Gilmore Girls was the one thing that they all had in common. And I didn't watch all of them, but I know Gilmore Girls had it just quality from top down. Man. It's like because people are watching it now and loving it just as much, and if it stands at esta time and you go, you know, you watch stuff from whatever. When I was a kid, I'll watch things and and I just go, I just didn't hold it doesn't hold up.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I try to try to get my boys, you know, I have kids your age, and it's like I'm like, hey, you guys got to watch this, and they're like, nah, it's just you know, they just don't like it's a different time, Dad, But Gilmore Girls holds up, Felicity holds up, Dawson's holds up.
Speaker 3: It's you know, it's interesting, it is and we're so fortunate as an audience still like have these shows that are such high quality and that the actors and everyone cares so much about.
Speaker 1: We're just grateful for it.
Speaker 4: So the.
Speaker 3: Gilmaco's has a lot of cultural pop culture reference and it references in the show, and the Felicity was mentioned. You know, in season three, episode twenty one, these two characters are talking about what college when I was going to go to and she says, well, I can't go to Princeton because my boyfriend's going there, and if I go there, that looks like I'm following him, and then I'll be Felicity without the hair issues. So we got to talk about the haircut. We got to talk about the Felicity haircut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: Take us back to the season two Carrie Russell cuts her hair. Yeah, it was this huge moment I don't want to say scandal, but like a huge moment everyone was talking about. Every show you just listed how to reference that haircut. Buffy, One Tree Hill, Sabrina Teenage, which they all talked about the haircut. What do you remember from that time?
Speaker 2: I just I remember. You know, it's interesting because looking back, I look at it like, oh, they were just trying to blame the ratings dip. Every show comes out of the you know, Heroes. I was on this massive show Heroes, right, and then it's like, all of a sudden, there's a dive and you go, well, the show is all about discovery. Every show is about discovery. The audience is discovering the characters. The characters are discovering who they are if they're well written and evolving. And then to keep that discovery up so that season two you've got, you know, more to discover and more to talk about. Water Cooler back then, you know, it was water Cooler. Back then you had to wait till next week to see the episodes, you know, and also commenting on a show back then was a lot different. I mean, I guess it's the same now in it insofar as like you know, like Ted Lasso is shooting right now, and on social media you see people out there window they're watching in that alley where he walks, and people like, oh, they're backshooting and look, and so you can comment about the story and maybe the show runner will see it. Back then, if you commented on a on an episode, it's like, dude, we shot that six months ago, Like what are we supposed to do about it now? You know? So when the Haircut thing happened, first of all, everybody was looking for it was like the blame game, like, oh, Carrie did this, and we've talked about it, you know with Carrie on the show, we've talked about you know. Uh, it's you know, Dear Felicity, by the way, is the is the podcast If people haven't checked it out, it's we're we're done with it and we absolutely love doing it. I don't know if we're going to get a second season, but man, it was so much fun. And because on Felicity, Dear Sally was how they started every episode talking into a tape recorder and and uh so, but but we talked. We've talked to everybody. We talked to JJ and Matt, we talked to Carrie, we talked to hair and may Cut. We talked to everybody, and so what I ended up happening is the truth about it is that Carrie was on a photo shoot and I might be butchering this, but carry was on a photo shoot, and even back then, they could sort of show you what you would look like. They could do a and say, oh, look this is what you look like. We're short hair. And so she saw that and they were like, oh, that's kind of crazy, and she sent it to JJ as a joke and said, I cut my hair, cut my hair. And he's like what, because, by the way, let's just talk about forgetting all that and I'll explain the rest of it. But like, what did you think, because like everybody's got their own opinion. I like your hair. Okay, let's not talk about hair. I can't even show you my head right now because I shaved it for a movie. And is this video too or audio only?
Speaker 3: It's audio only, but we'll paint a picture. Greg has this beautiful pork pie hat on and then he's lifting it up to reveal a bald head. I want mince words here, you're here, it's.
Speaker 2: A bald head. It's for it's for a movie, of course, is JJ abrams and I can't talk about it and it's exciting. That's all all of his things that yeah, yeah, it's super super cool but so but but I ask you because people watch that show and they said, Okay, here's a girl from you know, she's she's from northern California and then she's going cross country to the jungles of New York and it's the city's gonna eat her alive and all this stuff. And then she finds her footing and now she's getting and you know, it's season two, so now she's been there and she's got it going through a breakup and blah blah blah, I'm independent. Whatever it works. It totally works for a girl to like rediscover either that or she's gone crazy because people like, well, buzz their hair or do something if they're kind of they're in need of it, just a whole new you know, life lift or whatever. But people went out of their freaking minds and people went nuts, and you know, and also the ratings, you know, weren't as strong, so they blamed the haircut, which is so not true. And every show goes through a little bit of a dip. But it gave us a ton of publicity. People were buzzing about it, they were talking about it. We were able to do oh so, so so let me get back.
Speaker 4: So she did.
Speaker 2: I'm not even letting you answer, sorry, but she did. She did send that photo JJ and his wife Katie, Katie CEO of Bad Robot, and you know, JJ's wife and the greatest on the planet's so smart. JJ then sent it to the WB and first of all, he freaked out and she was like, I'm just kidding. I'm at a photo shoot, and he was like, wait a minute, this looks pretty cool. Sent it to a ton of people, I mean, dude, eight, like a ton of people to say how crazy is this? And they were all like, it's crazy, but it's kind of cool. So it wasn't like a you know, somebody did it. And because we're a contractually bound to stay looking the way we are, you know I'm doing it. There's the trailer of a new show that I'm doing, also a JJ show, a Bad Robot show called.
Speaker 1: Duster Duster coming May fifteenth one Max.
Speaker 2: Yes, May fifteenth on Max. And I've got like my hair in that is big and puffy at six it's nineteen seventy one and like I'm like, okay, so I you know, I grew my hair out and the whole thing. But we've been working on that show for two and a half years. Now this movie comes up, and so I'm like, what am I gonna jj I goes, We'll get your wig. You know, you could do anything these days whatever. So that's uh, But we were able to on Felicity. They were able to then put a wig on her, like they cut her hair. Then they did a flat pack over. You know, they make it work, but they chose to do She did it, and she lost her I think visually she lost her innocence, but as a character, she was losing her innocence and gaining her independence. And it's it was just so good. Now, and now you tell me what you think.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think that it's because this show follows someone's life, it's got to show growth, it's got to show her journey. And I think that was such a great way visually to depict that. And I thought it was such a I don't know, I like changing someone's hair. I think is such a simple way to initiate that kind of change. I thought it was great. I thought she looked great.
Speaker 2: First of all, Oh, she cannot look bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's impossible for her, you know, she could have like she could have shaved her head like you have right now, and she so want to look good.
Speaker 2: It was also looked as good as I do.
Speaker 3: Though yes, let's yeah, let's be honest here. But it's so interesting to me how big of a thing it was. Like I was telling my wife this morning, I'm like, oh, I'm talking to Greg Grumberg from Felicity, and she's like that you got ask hi about that haircut.
Speaker 2: I was like, the two things I get, I get haircut and smooth A's two things. Again, I'm like, you know, my character was it was this inventor and for these I'm just I'm laying this out for people that don't know the show. But you know, every week I was like, what about this?
Speaker 4: And what about this?
Speaker 2: And what about this? And it was really funny to see these stupid ideas. Some of them actually have become real ideas in our lives. But smooth A's really struck a chord and the haircut really struck a chord. Like there are so when I because I had to rewatch the show and now, by the way, I'm going to watch Gilmar Girls because my wife absolutely loves it. And my boys, their girlfriends love the show. And so my son has watched it because his girlfriend watched it, and my other boys have anyway, but rewatching and we touched on it a little bit. You know, they stand the test of time. But rewatching it just it shows you and and it speaks to how great the writing is. It's all about the writing and Matt and JJ and that the entire you know, uh, everyone that was involved. They just captured the essence of what it's like to be a you know, a college student, but not more than that, just the family dynamic and expectations your parents have and the disappointment and you find out your parents are not perfect and very imperfect and all of that. And then it's so relatable to everybody else. So it wasn't like, you know, I don't feelmore girls. Certainly was not a young, you know, kids show. I mean, it was just so widely watched, felicity widely watched, you know, and and the main thing I get and I wonder if this was like this for your wife. But again, you guys are so young. But like when she was people say, oh, you know, I watched this with my mom. I was at way at school and this was a way for her. We bonded over it and that, dude, I'm the luckiest guy in the world. From Felicity to Alias Lost Heroes, all these things. When people star Wars people tell me, like military people, they'll be like, I was, dude, I was stuck in a fox hole, or I was, you know, on the base and just waiting for our orders and I watched your show and you got me through. Or even NBA players they'll be like, dude, I'm on the I'm on the plane, I'm on the bus. I watched every episode. It's so unbelievable. We're in some stupid studio somewhere, you know, talking to each other, going hey, and I talked to you for a second. That's every scene on our show started that way. And we were just loving each other, loving the opportunity and to know that people actually watch the show. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: What a special thing to have. I just I love hearing those kind of things like it's it's it's incredible. I mean, like you said, you're making this show. You don't know really how it's going to be received, what it's going to be, but it's just such an important place for people, and they continue to revisit.
Speaker 1: It's it's somewhere to Gilmore Girls that way.
Speaker 3: Like I know so many people that like rewatch Felicity every year or rewatch it, you know, just on a loop almost, or like they fall asleep watching it.
Speaker 2: Or drinking games every time someone says hey, every time someone says hey, you drink, I mean you're drunk in the after the first act of event. Yeah, I agree with you. It's just it's a it's a very very special thing. It's hard to compare it to something else. I don't know, it's you know, and I've been like I said, it's been so lucky over and over again, you know, uh, to have been a part of all this stuff. And now you know, like they we did a reunion at the festival, the TV festival, and then you know they're always asking it. Do you want to do a where are they now? I'll give you a scoop, very big scoop we're gonna be doing. It looks like a Felicity reading of an episode that never aired, and it's never aired because it was just written. Somebody wrote a really I'm not gonna tell you what it is, but it's Felicity and all the Felicity characters and we're gonna be reading it for charity over zoom.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's really cool and we're just locking in scheduling with everybody. But I just talked to Amy Joe and you know, by the way, I stayed friends with all these people, and I had Robbie, Benedict and I just had breakfast and Mandy of course, Amanda, you know Mandy who was my love interest and she was the greatest I love. She's my favorite character on the show, Megan. She uh, the three of us, Rob, Benedict and Mandy and I we just had breakfast and we were like, it's gonna be fun. And they're like, yeah, so it's happening. There's the thing. You'll hear more about it. Follow me on you know, on Instagram or or on x and and you know, with all the details that come out, but it's gonna be It's really really cool.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. And Amy jo Johnson being in the show too. I mean, like I was such a big fan of the Pink Ranger and then seeing like like I was so excited to see her grow in her career too, Like like you know, she's not just the Pink Ranger. She's doing this incredible dramatic role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as frustrating as actors get in certain roles like oh I'm just the Pink Power Ranger or whatever. Yeah, if you have the goods and if you have the size, you know, the big shoes to fill, when you and that door opens and step through it, it's I think it's incredible transformation. I think it's like, like I told, I'm like, I want I want this to be this is my look, Like I love this. I want to like start doing roles like this, like you know, this is great, And that's just it's just that getting back to a hair thing. But but like when Amy Joe, she was so good. Everybody was great, but she was so good on the show. And when you think about, oh, that's the Pink Power, there's just something really cool and special about it. I have a band called The Action Figures that I don't know if you know about, but yes, yeah, so it was banned from TV years ago. I started with Hugh Laurie and Bob Guiney and Scott Ryan's and James Denton and Jesse Spencer and Terry Hatcher and all these people and now it's called The Action Figures and we play conventions and we play corporate gigs and charity events. But it's that expectation that people are like, oh, these are just actors, and then they're like, holy shit, these guys are fun and the music's great, and we kill it. I mean, we really do kill it. We have so much fun. And we're a celebrity cover band. We only play cover songs. But it's that same expectation when you go, oh, she was the Pink Power end or how good can she be? And then you're like, wow, you know what I mean when someone is given the people don't realize us actors like we say, yes, man, we want to work. You know, even today, Like I get calls and I'm like, you know, my agent will be like, ah, you just got an offer for this thing, do you you know it's a little thing whatever. I'm like, I want a zoom director. Let me read it. Let me unless it's something crazy bad, you know, it's I did. I did a movie called Big Ass Fighter and you have seen it. You've seen it.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 2: It's so good, and I I mean I I have such a blast doing it. I've done End of the World, Big Ass Fighter, Max Reload and the Other Blasters was the other one I know, and then uh, Satanic Hispanics. These movies are like low Budge. Oh and group Sex. I did a movie called Group Sex that if you haven't seen it, it's a Roman. Oh my god. First of all, don't google other things because things come up. Group sex. But Larry Trilling, who was our showrunner on director on Felicity as well as Ken Olan. But Larry and I are old, old friends and we wrote this script together. It's a romantic comedy that takes place set in the world of a sexaholic recovery group. And it's Odette.
Speaker 4: Uh you know.
Speaker 2: Annabelle stars in it with Josh Cook and me and James Denton and Him Whitley and Lombardo Boyard and Rob Benedict and there's it's such a great cast. It's so fun. And it's these small movies that like, I just love working man. So when somebody calls, you know, we say yes. So the fact that you actually hit lightning in a bottle with a project that people are they're good people. It's well written, you know, and the audience receives it. It's just insane. And so now getting back to what we were talking about, like the opportunity now to maybe bring some of these shows back alias Felicity Heroes, Like we already did Heroes once and now they're talking about it again. It's like, what's going on. I know I'm really old when that happens, but I'm like, oh, I can remake a show for the third time. Oh man, I.
Speaker 3: Love you know, looking through your resume, it's so fun because like you're one of those actors that you have so much cool stuff on yours and it's from the biggest franchise imaginable, from Star Wars, Star Trek and then Big Ass Spider. At the same time, it's just like if if Greg Grumberg is in it, you got to go see whatever it is because it's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: It's the sweetest ever.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 1: It's a hallmark.
Speaker 2: Like I get people. I get people that you know, comic cons that happens, but I get people all the time that come up to me and I'll be like, wait, what I just uh, It's just it's like I can't believe that they actually saw some of this stuff, you know, the real estate is all the same now, So a big as fighter and the movie that JJ and I are doing right now, you know, they're they're going to occupy the same screen space on some streamer eventually, you know. I mean, JJ is doing something that could be in the theater. It's a huge, huge movie. But I'm just saying, like, you've got this small budget and a big budget. At the end of the day, they're both vuying for those same eyeballs at the same time on your device. So you know, if it's good. This is what I tell people, because I have young actors that will talk to me and they'll be like, I got offered this thing, what do you think? And and I go, you know, if it's really shitty, no one's going to see it because there's just too many things to see.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: But if it's if it's good, they'll find it, you know, So that I always you know, I'm not trying to welcome everybody to send me scripts, but I'm just saying like, don't be surprised if you you know, if you write something for somebody like me and they go, oh yeah, you know, you go like, there's no way I'll never chew. There's a way. We want to work and we want to work with good people on good projects.
Speaker 3: Greg Greenberg is with us. It's I Smell Pop Culture. We're going to be right back. So much more to get into. This man has so much awesome stuff in his life and his world and in his mind.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. Everybody.
Speaker 3: It is I Smell Pop Culture. We're probably the I Am All In podcast here on iHeartRadio. We're hanging out with Greg Gremberg, just this man during the commercial breaks giving me incredible ideas that I will be ceiling and using and using it to elevate my own O life.
Speaker 2: So wait, but by the way, those ideas didn't come for me just now. They came from Sean Blumberg. That was my character on the City.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 2: I cannot stop doing this. I do it all the time. You know what, I feel like, I'm going to get it. I'm going to get it. I don't have one around here. I've been making these ticket bowls. If you follow me on social media, I've been making these ticket balls. You take a roll like a raffle ticket roll, and you you can mold it up if you if.
Speaker 1: You like, like you fan it out or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you fan it up and out and it's this beautiful bowl and you're like, wait a minute, wait, where's my phone. I'm going to show you. It's just like I but but more than that. I come up with business ideas and then I do them. I created the first mobile coupon app called yaousa back in the day.
Speaker 3: I saw that in your Wikipedia and I was like, this is such a sean thing to do, and it's like, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: And that's and here here's this ticket balls. Look at this. Here's the ticket ball that I just made for Leslie Fox, a dear, a friend, a caregiver.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Oh my god, they're beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really And I signed the bottom and I give them out, I take the auction them off at charity events. Look at this one.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, dude, I mean that's sincerely a beautiful looking bowl. And then added like the novelty of it being like a raffle tickets.
Speaker 1: It's so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then my wife and I I'm just sharing. My wife and I, you know, ran to Trader Joe just this morning. I got the new Easter bags.
Speaker 1: You got the bag? Wow, lines down the block for that thing.
Speaker 2: So my character. But my character started like JJ and Matt old dear friends. I produced or helped produce Matt's thesis film at USC This is how long I've known each other. JJ and I have known each other since we're five. Wow. So I was guest starring. I had one opportunity on a show on Fox that didn't go. I did the pilot that was the brother on this show called Flying Blind, and that didn't go. It's really funny. And then I was doing guest spots here and there. I was on Murphy Brown. I mean going way back. I was on I was doing everything I was doing. I did over fifty commercials. And meanwhile, j J and I are living together after college and uh, and he and Matt get this opportunity to do a show and I go, Okay, guys, I'm on the show. This is this is Other actors are like, oh, how do I how do I I don't want to be a past how do I let my friends know? I'm like that. I called them right up, and I go, who am I playing?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Because because by the way, you only want to work with the best people You're You're spending all day and night with them, and you want to trust them, and so we knew je. So I was like, okay. So I looked at the script. I knew what the show was. And they said you're too old. You're not in college anymore, you know whatever, And I said there was a way, and I kept pastoring them and they were like, wait a minute, what if these what are these college students? Lived with this guy off campus and he was hanging out with college because and he was a crazy And while I was living with JJ, I'm this out of work or out of work struggling actor right and going from out to job commercials and this and that. I was a driver for a producer named Joel Silver. I was his driver for a years. WHOA, yeah, which was crazy.
Speaker 1: Sound crazy?
Speaker 2: It was great crazy. It was like he taught me a lot and about the business and everything. But during that time I was like okay, so I begged and pleaded and they said okay. But during that time, I had a frozen yogurt business I had. I'm always hustling for my dad. My dad's an entrepreneur and I always don't. So JJ's like Matt were like, let's make that Greg's character. And so that's how that's why Sean Blumberg, Greg Grunberg, I mean it sounds very similar. Yes.
Speaker 3: I was so curious about that because I'm like, Okay, this character is like so perfect for you, and then like more about your life, I'm like, oh my god, it's like life imitating art. But then it makes so much sense that it was, i mean created for you. Some of the there's so many inventions and ideas from Sean, but bagel knobs favorite of mine, Like doughnut holes that are like bagels injected with cream cheese. Yeah, brilliant, I mean brilliant. The flavored pen caps, I know that's a popular one.
Speaker 2: Flavored pen caps were great.
Speaker 4: The uh the.
Speaker 2: Milkless cereal that you just have water too, Like, that was a good one. I had enough, Like this is what I was saying, is I'm rewatching. I had to rewatch the show for the podcast. Yeah, and I'm rewatching, going wait a minute, that's that's actually a really good idea. There were all these ideas, and then of course the biggest one was documentary, and I was like, way ahead of my time. That was my character doing a documentary about Oh wait till you hear the segue. I have for you on this document a documentary on the students, and they would vent and it was me and I had to hold the camera. And then the Union came and said, no, Greg can't hold the camera, he's an actor. So I then I had to be right behind. I was like riding a motorcycle, not motor The cameraman, Union camera guy Mike May would hold the camera and I would have to be behind him, and I would, but because the eye line had to be as if I was holding the camera.
Speaker 4: That was a whole thing.
Speaker 2: And then yesterday you don't even know about this. I don't. I don't think yesterday. I was just nominated as for an Emmy as a producer for my for my Pete Rose documentary Charlie Hussel and The Matter of Pete Rose that's on HBO. Max.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, thank you, incredible.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm producing documentaries and shows and stuff now. And I was like, I gave thought to it. Yesterday I got a call from my manager and she was like, congratulations, you guys got nominated for an Emmy.
Speaker 5: I was like what, and I thought, wait a minute, it was all started with documentary. Yes, awesome, that's incredible. I have a Pete Rose signed baseball at home. I'm very proud of That's congratulations.
Speaker 1: That's huge.
Speaker 4: You see.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can. You can't see, but back there as the poster. Did you see the documentary that we did.
Speaker 1: I have not seen the documentary yet, but I will.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's four parts and you know, rest in peace, Pete. Uh. It was the timing of it. I'm thinking, I'm so happy we did it and before, I mean, he wasn't sick, so it was really a shock when he passed away. But we're still trying to get him in the Hall of Fame. It's been a mission. You'll see. It's the through line of the present day through line of our podcast, I mean of our documentary again. It's called Charlie Hustle and the Matter of Pete Rose on Max. And it's great because we show this we talked to all these people and Pete's awesome, and then we talk about the gambling. We talk about his life and his family and everything and all the trouble he got in and and his regrets and it's so sad, but it's he's just from a different time and he did some pretty bad things in his life, but he also is the top. So how do you separate these heroes that we have, you know, from their statistics when you know they're real, that you know that they're human and there they have faults. But it's I can't wait for you to see it. I'm glad, especially if you have a ball. Where did you get the ball?
Speaker 4: Signed?
Speaker 2: Did you in Vegas?
Speaker 3: My dad got it for me when I was a little kid, and I don't even know where where he got it from, but it was like that was our that was like our prize posision, Like all this Pete Rose baseballs is like you know, like I'm gonna be buried with it probably exactly.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 1: So you're okay.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned you've known J. J. Abrams since you were five years old. I mean, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Like I was curious, like what the collaboration process is, like, I mean, you you've worked with him on so many things, Like so when you hear that he's got like when he first got involved with Star Wars, I mean, were you.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, who am I going to be? Like what's my what's my character?
Speaker 4: Is that? No question?
Speaker 2: But more than that before that. I mean, look, we talk three times a day. We play backammon, that's our one of our things. But our families, I mean God parents her his kids, and he's to mine. And I mean they're like they are literally family, and I love every one of them. And and JJ and I are brothers. We're closer than brothers, to be honest. And he so and I talked, you know, we share everything and and I'll be like, hey, what do you think of this? What do you think of that? And so usually projects I've been working on projects with him forever, just as a friend and he and he has that with a number of people, Matt being one of them, and just brilliant people that he has. You know, he never lets go of anybody. Everybody that works with JJ wants to work with him. Again, he's just the best of the best in the business. And I'm lucky enough to call my best friend. But so, but when something like Star Wars comes up, that's not something that like he's been writing since college and you know, like forever young or you know, regarding Henry or any of the stuff that we were living together. He was writing. This is like wait, what And He's like, oh yeah, yeah, they asked me and I and I met with them and they're great people and I really want to do this, and I'm like Star Wars, dude. I freaked out because I'm like, we saw Star Wars together, like he saw it before I did at the AFCO Theater in Westwood when it first came out when we were twelve. And then I remember going to see it and it's just like this was my childhood. What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it. I was like, you're the because back then he was like the original he wrote original material and they said he said, no, you know, from all my work and everything. And truthfully, you know, Tom Cruise gave him his big break in film, you know, insisting that or supporting that. He directed Mission and so that was an extension of Alias, you know, basically the same sort of action stuff. And then he put me a mission and I had, you know, a couple of days on that, which was awesome and so but but again those are things. But when Star Wars happened, I was just like it was in insistence. It wasn't even like who am I playing. I'm like I'm playing somebody so we got to figure this out, and he was like, I got you. You know, He's like, don't worry. So I had no idea, but I was so excited that one he did not share any scripts with me along the way when he was writing, Wow, just didn't. I mean, he was like the only thing that I would ever get out of him was I'm super excited. I'm super excited. He's very, very brutal when it comes to do his work, like on himself, not in a negative or harsh way, but just critical. He just makes He's so detail oriented, he's so smart. His first draft of every script, and I've told him this million times, is like if you and I were to write our eighth draft is his first draft that he because he's got so much experience that too, Like they're just brilliant, brilliant writers and directors, producers. But so when that happened, I'm like, okay. So then I get to same thing happen un lost by the way, I got to Hawaii and I had no idea who I was playing, and they go he goes go to wardrobe and you'll see, and I'm like okay. And as I'm walking to the set and to the trailers. I look up in a tree and I see somebody that looks like me. It's a dummy Crest as a pilot, and I'm like, oh shit. I'm like, I don't know how I get there, but that looks like me. And so on Star Wars. I get there, and I get to London and he goes coming right to this restaurant the whole cast we're having, you know, we're having It's Chinese restaurant. So I got to London and I go downstairs at this restaurant, I see Katy Kennedy and JJ and and and then I see all these this cast and a bunch of people I didn't know. And Kathleen Kennedy goes there. He is, there's Snap Weaxley, and I was like, Snap Wexley, like that sounds awesome. And so that's how I found out. And then I got fitted, you know, because I went about a week and a half in advance. I got fitted for my flight suit, my ex wing suit and everything. It was, dude, it was everything you could possibly dream of and more. And then add on top of that, you're doing it with your favorite person outside of your spouse in the world and it was just like the best experience, and it always it just keeps getting better and better and better with everything we work on together. It's just too much fun.
Speaker 3: I mean talk about like the ultimate dream come true. Like you get to go into this like movie that you love from your childhood, your best friends are there, Like, what a great experience.
Speaker 1: I I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: He's just he's the nice look. I can't hire JJ to write a movie to put me in it, and I don't. There's no small roles. I don't care what I'm doing this thing. I'm going, you know, I've got like whatever a week and a half, two weeks on this movie. Sam Jackson, Glenn Powell, Jenna you know, Jenna Ortega. I'm like, and me and a bunch of great actors. I have a very small role, but still I'm like, I'm gonna be working with those three brilliant people and j J. And I'm like it just like you're saying, it's a dream, it's it's it's ridiculous. I pinch myself all the time. I pinch him. That's why he pays me to pinch him.
Speaker 3: That's I just gotta get off my chest. I love my favorite. One of my favorite Star Wars characters is a guy named Jack Porkins. He was in a New Hope and.
Speaker 1: You carry on the mantle of being a pilot with a cool name, and I love.
Speaker 2: I know what that guy, another fat pilot.
Speaker 3: I get it, you're very spelt, Greg, You're in great shape, but snap Wexley great, great name. And I love of watching all the pilot scenes of just like you know, Red five standing by, or like I was rewatching Riise of Skywalker the other day. I love Raise the Skywalker so much. Yeah, and I mean, do you have a line like just like like Incoming Ties or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got your back.
Speaker 2: Po is like what people like have me sign on their thing, but people that really are in the note there's a line that I said that that I say, what happened? It got cut and but it's still on the DVD extras or something where he goes, let's go to warp speed or whatever it's called, not warp speed, let's go to hyper speed or something, and I say, is there any other speed? And then we jam it?
Speaker 1: So that rules.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a great line. You know, It's like, is there any other speed. You know, I want to show you this picture. People can't see it, But dude, back then, at this age, I had no idea that I was standing next to my future self.
Speaker 3: He's staying in front of a Buddha statue because.
Speaker 2: I look like a Buddha right now with my hair like this. So funny, you know, talking.
Speaker 3: About we were talking earlier about cutting your you know, you shaved your head for this role. I'm and like, when you're doing Felicity, you're saying, like contractually obligated to like maintain your appearance to a certain extent. I'm so curious. Like, there's this story of Ryan Gosling getting a role with I'm trying to remember who the director was, but he Gosling decided that the character would be like not morbidly obese, but very overweight. So he like gained a lot of weight and then he showed up to the set and like, what do you This was not what we discussed we were talking about, and he lost the role because of it, Like they had to cast someone else because they didn't want this character to be over So I'm curious, Like.
Speaker 2: My god, that's crazy. Well, if you're asking me about my weight, no, no, no, but it's it is not only weight and maintaining your look, but also it's one it's you know, it's it's so weird. It's the one profession where that discrimination is allowed because it's based on something that was written. But no, there are it goes beyond that. We're not allowed to do any dangerous sports. We're not allowed to jump out of planes. We're not allowed to it's all because you're you're insured and and you're being bonded. So the bonded the bonding company will say, you know, I mean this happened on uh. I was on a move. I did a movie called The Holloman with Kevin Bacon and he wasn't the first one cast. It was they wanted where they cast Robert Downey Junior. But Downey was going through whatever he was going through drug wise that during that time, and he couldn't be insured, and and so they got Kevin. I mean, Kevin was actoutely incredible. But you know, that's the whole thing is like the insurance on this stuff, and it's for the time that you're making the movie. Some people just they're not ensurable, they're not bondable, you know, And and anything can happen to us. I mean, you know, we're human, but but putting yourself in a little bit more of a like race car driving or oh, Lisa Shue Elizabeth shoe On on that movie where we shot for nine months. Why because we shot for six months and she decided she's a friend too. She went out and did some exercise, not even decided. She was working out, trying to stay in good shape, and she popped her achilles, oh, during lunch, and because they have a gym at Sony, and so she did it and they were like, oh no, And that was.
Speaker 4: Before we had to do all this running stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So we had to shut down for a little bit and we came back and I mean, it's it's a miracle that these things, you know, happened. I remember on Star Wars, if you remember, before I went to London, Harrison was trapped. This door came down in production.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember when this happened, Yes, yeah, and it.
Speaker 2: Came down on Harrison and JJ ran over to try and lift the door up. JJ ended up hurting his back helping Harrison Harrison and going to the hospital just because they want to check on him. I mean, you know that guy. Yeah, toughest guy in the world. And but it's like things happen, man, things happen, So you know, yeah, you have to you have to maintain all that stuff. And there are times. I mean, I did a movie called Paterno where Al Pacino plays my dad and you know Paterno, and I played Scott Paterno. And Scott was you know when I during the time that I played him in his life, he was huge. And so they put a fat suit on me and I get to New York and Parry Levinson. Perry says, he's like, just enjoy everything, man in New York. Just enjoy everythingcause they're putting me on fat suit. But they wanted the fatness in my neck and my face to match the fat suit, so they were you know, I would bay gels. I mean, New York is no shortage of carbs.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I literally ate my way through Manhattan. And you know the problem with that is at my age, I'm fifty eight now, it's like really hard to lose the weight. It's like it's hard to you know, maintain it and lose it. But I do the best I can.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Greg Greenberg hanging out with us. This is I Smell pop Culture. We're having so much fun. I have a couple more questions for you. We got to talk about your new series coming on Max, some other stuff that's really really exciting in your life.
Speaker 2: I want to do a promo for you, please. Okay, Hey, it's Greg Grunberg from Felicity, Alias Lost, all these great shows, and yes, if you smell pop culture, it was probably me because I fared it.
Speaker 3: There you go, we'll be right back, and we're back. It's I Smell pop culture. My name's Easton Allen hanging out here. It's Greg Gruenberg from Felicity, Star Wars, Star Trek anything you could possibly name, anything you love. If you have a poster of it in your bedroom, Greg is in it.
Speaker 2: A by the way, speaking posters, I did The Boys. I don't know if you watch that show. Yes, I had a small, tiny little cameo on The Boys, Eric Oric.
Speaker 6: As yourself, right, Yeah, I played myself. Yeah, Easton, dude, you know all the show. Yeah, I played myself and then they put me the movie within the movie. So the poster for Dawn of the Seven.
Speaker 2: I'm on the poster. That's so awesome. You keep jabbing away. I'm gonna show it to you right now.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I was just saying, anything that's cool, anything that you like, Greg is in. But you have a show coming May next month, May fifteenth. It's called Duster. It's coming out on Max the one to Watch once again, teaming up with j g Abrams on this.
Speaker 2: And and LaToya Morgan it is, and Josh Holloway and the entire cast Keith David, Rachel Hillson, Like, it's such a cool show man.
Speaker 4: This is there.
Speaker 2: Occasionally there's a time when I'll times when I'll do stuff. I care about everything I do, but there are times like this where I really hope the audience feels the same way we do. It's socking cool. It is just a cool, cool show. The trailers out now, and I think Josh and Rachel are going and Keith are going to the can to the Can Film Festival or the Can TV Festival or something to promote it, which is a good sign that you know, HBO likes it. It's gonna be on Max May fifteenth, like you said, And it takes place in nineteen seventy one. I play the head of the FBI and Rachel is an FBI agent, a new agent that comes into town and she's got a beef and we're trying to trying to turn this guy that Josh plays, we call Duster. He drives a plymouth duster for the mob and we're trying to get him to cooperate with us. We're trying to get him to be, you know, an inside agent or work as a double agent with us, and to take down the organized crime there. And it's but it's so good. I mean that that tells you nothing about the show. It's all character driven, it's fun, and it's seventies and it's my favorite thing. I am a car nut dude. I own if I do a project, I buy the car if I I love everything about My son actually stole a chewy seatbelt from Star Wars. My family came to visit in London and we uh, we took a tour of the set and the boys were in the cockpit and then they climbed out of the cockpit and we got back in the car and my son was like, Luke, what I took? That was the proudest moment in my life. But no, I I love everything seventies. It's just it's a it's a time when I look back on stuff and I watched stuff, you know, once upon time in Hollywood and all that stuff. It's like it's just a rich time and and it lends itself to great story because you don't have the device of a cell phone or a fax machine or it's like it's a seventy maybe yeah, but you know what I mean, it's it's like you can't just pick up the phone or you know, or text somebody or whatever. So anyway, it's really really good Duster. Check it out. I hope people enjoy it, you know, really exciting.
Speaker 3: I can't I can't wait. I can't wait to watch Duster. And then I also I just want to make sure we mention this. You have this really cool program that you're part of helping those living with epilepsy, caregivers for those of epilepsy, and it's called talk about It on video dot Com.
Speaker 1: What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: It started many years ago. Our son, our oldest son, Jake, who's twenty eight now, he's living well with epilepsy. And epilepsy and seizures can be absolutely shattering. But if people around you know what to do, in case you have a seizure, it doesn't present. You know, epilepsy is a kind of thing where in most people it doesn't present, so you don't know that people around you have the chance of having a seizure. We all one in twenty six people will have, you know, a seizure in their lifetime. And there's three I mean there's yeah, there's like thirty million people, three million people in the United States that have It's just it's a it's a huge thing, and people don't talk enough about it. There's a stigma attached to it. So I found I was like, this is a way that I can kind of reverse that narrative educate people. The ignorance that comes isn't because anyone's being mean or anything. People just don't realize that there are simple things like you can't choke on your tongue, You don't stick anything in anyone's mouth when they're having a seizure. You put them on their side, put something under their heads so they're not banging their head on the ground, and just let them have their seizure and it'll ride itself out and chances are they're going to be fine. And you don't even need to call the paramedics, but if it lasts longer than two and a half minutes, call it paramatics. All this stuff is that talk about it on video dot com And now we're helping the National Bleeding Sorce Foundation, We're helping cancer, we're helping all kinds of other causes. And it's you'll see if you go to talk about it on video dot com. You And by the way, we have we just crossed over one hundred thousand subscribers on YouTube. Wow because it thank you, because every actor that I've ever worked with is helping me do PSAs and get the word out. And my podcast talk about It is really popular because I'm just trying to not normalize, but I'm just trying to engage people in the conversation and go, oh, there are a lot of heroes in this community, both patients and caregivers and doctors and whatever. I also have a series called The Caregiver. You can go to The Caregiver series dot com where I take caregivers out for a day of care and talk about what it's like to be a caregiver and we all end up being caregivers in our lives. So I'm really enjoying. I'm glad thank you for bringing it up, because I enjoy talk about it so much. I enjoy the Caregiver series so much. I kind of wish, you know. I love acting, don't get me wrong, but it's so rewarding to do this, and you know, I've connected and learned from so many people. It's really it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm so impressed by what you're doing. And I think it's so incredible you're using your platform to spread awareness of this and the caregiver thing, especially a very close friend of mine, his wife suffered a traumatic brain injury and he's become her caregiver and just talking to him about it's such a challenging role and a role that no one's really prepared for, and people are afraid to talk about it and they're afraid to be open about it. And I I just really appreciate you showing that side of life and what can happen to people and how special these roles are in people lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean as I always look at it selfishly because I get so much more out of it than people are getting, and people are really touched by it and the connecting and realizing that all alone. Like your friend is not alone, he's unfortunately in the majority, like people are out there taking care of people. And what your friend has to realize very quickly, And this is what we stress on Caregiver Series is as a caregiver, you need to take care of yourself first. It's like when they say on a plane, put a mask on yourself before you put a mask on your child. If you're not healthy mentally, physically, whatever, you can't take care of the ones that you love. So you need to have that time for yourself. I'm talking about five minutes a day. I'm talking about like get the app, I have this app, right, meditate and you know, you need to take care of yourself because you're now taking care of others in a bigger way than you originally anticipated. And so you know, the people are heroes, but we're all in this together and nothing's no one should be ashamed of anything. If you go on social media and people are talking about their perfect life, they're lying, Yes, everybody's got something. You know, So I again, I appreciate you, and I just encourage people go to you know, talk the Caregiver Series dot com. Go to talk about it on video dot Com. You'll see your favorite celebrities from everything that I've ever done, asking important questions and then doctors answering and you'll learn something. You'll laugh on my podcast talk about it, you'll laugh. I mean, we have a good time.
Speaker 1: That's so awesome.
Speaker 3: Greg Greenberg, one of the best to ever do it. Thank you so much for hanging out with us today. This has just been so much fun. I could talk to you for hours. Man, there's so like what it brings up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it. I smell a spinoff, No, I smell pop culture. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the best duster on Max coming May fifteenth.
Speaker 3: To watch out for this new JJ Abrams movie where you're going to see Greg's beautiful bald head in it and so much more come in the Felicity Zoom Red.
Speaker 1: You've got to watch out for that. Just yeah.
Speaker 3: Thank you again for being so generous with your time answering all my questions. You're just the greatest man.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank you, and thanks to your to your you have an awesome show, and thanks for everybody listening. And I got to this far. This was a lot of fun. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Wow again, thank you Greg, You're just. You're the best. Exceeded any expectation I had. You're just it was.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. Hey anytime, if you need me to, if you have somebody else and you're like, would be really funny. If great commented on this pop, just let me know whatever. You're easy to talk to, you dude, you're the best.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, You have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 4: You too. Bye bye, Hey everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 6: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.