Speaker 1: Pushkin. Today, we're sharing an episode from a great artist who also happens to have one of our favorite podcasts. It's called Nora Jones is Playing Along. Nora is, of course, a multi Grammy winning artist who loves to collaborate with other musicians, so she started a podcast where she can do just that. Each episode features a different musical guest, and you, as a listener, get to be a fly on the wall in the studio as musicians come together fro impromptu music making and candid conversations. With guests like Jeff Tweety, Robert Glasper, and Lucas Nelson. You'll hear everything from their hits to classic covers to songs written on the spot. The episode we're sharing today is with the legendary Mavis Staples. You'll be treated to stories from her time as a member of the iconic Staples Singers, spreading powerful messages of peace through gospel and soul music. Mavis also talks about her current projects a solo artist and beyond. We'll also hear Mavis and Nora play gospel classic as well as pay homage to Mavis's father, Pop Staples, along with a few other surprises. So listen and then follow and subscribe to. Nora Jones is playing along wherever you get your podcasts to hear more great episodes with fantastic guest artists. Without further ado, please enjoy. Nora Jones is playing along with Mayvis Staples.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Nora Jones and today I'm playing along with Mayvis Staples and just playing.
Speaker 3: Alone, just playing alone.
Speaker 2: Hi, welcome to the show. I'm Nora, and with me as always is Sarah Oda.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 2: Today's show is so fun to record and pretty emotional. I don't know how you felt about it, Oda, but for me, it was it was very very special.
Speaker 5: I feel like Mayvi's Staples is a force, yeah, but like a very sweet, tender, loving, huggable force.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, She's just an amazing human. She is full of love and we love her.
Speaker 5: You cannot be in a bad mood when she's in the room.
Speaker 2: No, And we talk about that a little in this episode, about her her energy and where it comes from. Mayva Staples, of course, was part of the Staples Singers.
Speaker 5: Mavis and her family were iconic throughout the Civil rights movement. Her father was friends with doctor Martin Luther King Junior, and they performed at rallies and protests before his speeches. They inspired people when people needed it the most.
Speaker 2: We enjoyed talking to Mavis about her family and the dynamic of the Staples singers, Pops, and of course now she's also a solo artist in her own right. She's influenced so many people.
Speaker 5: Everybody loves her and aside from the incredible music that she makes, all the stories that come along with the history she's had and the people she's encountered along the way. I mean, I could just listen to her talk all day long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk about all this and we sing several songs together, some that I didn't even know we were going to sing in this episode, So that was really fun. She just goes with it at all times, and that's what's so fun about being around Mavis.
Speaker 4: I met her for the first.
Speaker 2: Time in twenty ten when we were both honoring Paul McCartney at the Kennedy Center Honors and she saw me.
Speaker 4: We talk about this too, but she saw me and she took my hand and she said, oh, hey, should you be my daughter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just hugged me and it was just, you know, pure love.
Speaker 4: Ever since then.
Speaker 2: So I was so honored that Mavis could join me and we could play songs together and reconnect. It's been a long time since I'd seen her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we recorded this episode at Jeff Tweety's studio in Chicago called the Loft, and start off by talking about a song that he wrote for her called You Are Not Alone.
Speaker 4: I hope you enjoy. So that's the MAVs corner. I didn't know that when I was here. You don't have a corner.
Speaker 2: I don't I've been all over the nooks, even in the draw.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well I tell you I got my first Grammy from here.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, You're Not Alone. I was from the staple thing, just Mavis. Uh huh, Yeah, that was my first.
Speaker 2: Grand That's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
Speaker 6: It is beautiful and you and I got down on it too in the Apollo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was hoping we could start with it actually, just to warm us up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, no problem. Yeah, I know the words to that.
Speaker 2: Did whenever he brought it to you, were you moved by the lyrics?
Speaker 4: I was just out and see what he did.
Speaker 7: He was writing it right here in the studio and I was standing over him and he got through that first verse and I chill bumps came up, you know, and all of a sudden he stopped. I'm waiting for him to go into the second verse, and he stopped, and I said, what you doing. He says, I need more time, more time, he said. I said, oh, tweety, and he said.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna have it for you tomorrow. I gotta take it home. I'm gonna have for you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I said, okay, tweet.
Speaker 6: But he gave me the part of the melody, and I laid with that the night that I before tonight, I was at home, and when I came in the next day, he laid it on men.
Speaker 4: I tell you it just it just hit me. And because.
Speaker 6: At that time, you know, I was feeling alone. Really yeah, I had lost my sister, my oldest sister.
Speaker 7: And and uh my other sister was sick, you know. So the song hit me. You know, it was for me. It was for me.
Speaker 4: It feels made for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was made for me. And uh, I love it. We sing it every show. We don't go off the stage without singing You're not alone.
Speaker 2: I've heard you sing this many, many times. Yeah, I love it. I was around the house singing it.
Speaker 6: If you feel alone, No, I don't alone. I just love the song I'm doing.
Speaker 7: Okay, now see I got you, babe.
Speaker 4: I love you. I love you two little girl. Well let's try it. Okay, you want to try it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love.
Speaker 2: The thing I love about this song is how there's harmony the whole way through. Yes, and it has that not alone feeling it does.
Speaker 7: It's so beautiful and its just and and and it makes you.
Speaker 6: Feel it's so much better. It makes you feel like you're you're just telling the truth.
Speaker 4: You're not alone. I know you're not alone. And I tell you people people love it. People as soon as we hit it, they go, cobbe, it's the best hit it.
Speaker 9: You're not long, I'm with you, loaned to.
Speaker 6: H what's that song? Candy song?
Speaker 10: Got A broken Heart, a broken home, I slayed out and afraid.
Speaker 4: Open up. This is a rag.
Speaker 11: I want to get it through you.
Speaker 12: You, Oh not loan, You're not alone?
Speaker 6: Here the read night, I stand in your place. Either read whatever, reface taste the same.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 10: A broken dream, a broken.
Speaker 8: Heart, I slay it.
Speaker 4: And afraid open up.
Speaker 2: This is raided.
Speaker 6: Will to get it through you.
Speaker 4: You're not longe.
Speaker 6: An open hand, an open heart. There's no need to be afraid, overnap this raid.
Speaker 10: I wonna get it back to you.
Speaker 4: You're not alone.
Speaker 6: No no, I won't to get it through to you.
Speaker 4: You're not alone. No no, I'm gonna get it through to you.
Speaker 6: Not alone.
Speaker 4: Help me, Oh my god, shelp me.
Speaker 6: That was pretty Thank you. Oh that's a beautiful you are. So you played all that.
Speaker 7: Oh there was notes and that and that that dream and.
Speaker 4: That beautiful, so beautiful tweety A broken dream, a broken heart.
Speaker 6: It hurts, it hurts over.
Speaker 4: I just love it so much. And I loved Jeff.
Speaker 6: I was so glad you sang that with me and the Apollo.
Speaker 4: That was really fun.
Speaker 6: And at first they couldn't find the piano.
Speaker 4: Oh well I put it on a world it' sir right. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I prayed. I said, he want to get her here and here they going.
Speaker 4: You prayed for a piano for me. Yeah, I'm honored.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, that was really fun. That was your birthday.
Speaker 4: It was my idea. That's crazy. Check that out.
Speaker 6: Wow, you helped me celebrate my birthday that was.
Speaker 2: The second time, because I was with you in Newport on one of your birthdays at the Focus.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, that must have been. That must have been my seven year.
Speaker 4: Probably, I think. I don't know. I can't remember. I stopped trying to remember.
Speaker 2: I don't remember how old I am. Sometimes I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but but who cares? I don't. I don't feel like any different.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're buds and where this could be the same age or you know what I mean, like it doesn't my god.
Speaker 4: Doesn't feel it doesn't feel very different. It doesn't feel very different.
Speaker 2: Though you've gotten more experienced than me.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, yes, and I you know, I'm I'm I'm the old girl. I'm just I'm the seniors. I'm the golden girl. But I'm hanging with young blood.
Speaker 2: You are, and people love you, young people love you.
Speaker 4: That makes me feel you know, you walk into the room and you make me feel young. I don't know. You just bring the sunshine you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it really makes me feel good that the young adults. I have one friend who works at Columbia College over here, and she teaches, you know, she teaches music and she tells her students stories and she lets me know. She says, Maybes, these kids love you. These kids, Uh no, you don't know, Hermit Terry Hermitt. No, yeah, but she she tells me all the time, and it makes me.
Speaker 4: Feel so good. They do though, they love you so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well see they see that I'm a kid too, you are, I admit, I agree. Yeah, I've never grown up.
Speaker 6: In my heart, I'm still a little kid, you know. And I just I just I love to play, I love to sing.
Speaker 4: I just love people. So I love babies.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, man, are you take everybody's bab Are you good with them? I'm good with yeah. Oh.
Speaker 7: We get on a plane and and I always take this little bottle of bubbles with me just in case some baby is going to cry on that plane.
Speaker 4: And I wait on it.
Speaker 7: When I hear baby cry, I get my bubbles out, find the baby, and I started blowing bubbles. And the baby looks at the bubbles. Mama be so happy that I came along. Yeah, what I'm bubbles.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's your nickname, right, that's my nickname? Yeah? Who gave you that nickname? Really? Since you were a little girl, since you were little?
Speaker 6: No, not it wasn't until I was about I wasn't thirty yet.
Speaker 7: I was in my twenties, okay, and uh, I asked, I said, Mama, why you call me bubbles?
Speaker 6: She said, maybe it's because you're so bubbly. You're just always so happy.
Speaker 4: You just you know, you just came out that way. I came that way.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask that where that comes from. But I think people who have that just are like that.
Speaker 6: I'm just happy, go lucky all the time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a great way to be. It really is.
Speaker 7: And I'm grateful because but every now and then I'll let something get on my nerve. But it's got to be strong, yeah, you know, because most of the time I overlook it whatever. You know, if it was supposed to get on my nerve, I can overlook it and stay happy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I'll take some of that, please, Can I have some of that? It's free of charge.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty happy in general, but I'm not a bubbly person, you know what I mean. Like I don't bring the sunshine into every room, but I don't get too sad.
Speaker 4: Usually I'm pretty even.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have I don't realize it, but you do bring the sunshine.
Speaker 2: Well that's kind of you. But I mean, when I'm talking about you bring in the sunshine, you're on a hole.
Speaker 6: Well come in, noisey, noisy, cruel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, but yeah.
Speaker 6: And and and Prince used to tell me, he said, Davis, you're talking too loud.
Speaker 4: Really, what a thing to say that would be.
Speaker 7: I was grateful though, because also told me then really, but I've always told you know, there were five of us children in the house. Yeah, and if you want to be heard, you gotta let your voice be heard.
Speaker 6: I was just I come from a noisy crew, just like.
Speaker 4: I say, all the hig family. That's what it's about.
Speaker 7: Right, But right, and I'm I'm just grateful.
Speaker 6: I know I should talk softer and save.
Speaker 2: I think at this point you're good. Did they say that out of concern for your singing voice? Yeah, okay, yeah, I mean I get that. But if it hadn't been a problem yet, right then.
Speaker 6: Right, I'm not talking about all my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 7: But I guess they were just used to being around people who talked under their voice.
Speaker 4: Yes, and now I was surprised his voice so.
Speaker 2: Mayavis, Prince he had a low speaking voice. Yeah, I met him once, but he did he and he was very soft spoken.
Speaker 4: He was, he was, and he observed a lot, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 7: I took him to I said, Prince, it's just gonna have to make you my son.
Speaker 4: Al right, Bavis, I'll be your son.
Speaker 7: And I loved him talk because his voice was just rare. Yeah, you know, but when he sing, you know, it was a heavy voice when he sing to but to talk. I saw him do an interview with Arsenio Hall one time, and man, his voice.
Speaker 4: Or Senior was shocked. He was shocked too.
Speaker 7: But some people, uh talk in a different voice then they sing.
Speaker 2: My kids told me that when they hear my voice singing, they think I sound different when I'm just home.
Speaker 4: You know, you're telling them what to do, That's what they tell me.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, they tell you said, yes, your boy, your singing voice is very mellow and sweet and soft and and and you you could make a person hurt themselves. You just you just calm you down. You said, when I first heard what's.
Speaker 4: The name, Oh don't know why, don't know why?
Speaker 6: Yeah, when I first don't know, don't know why.
Speaker 7: I was around the house doing something and that came on the radio and I stopped whatever I was doing. I had to stop and listen. And then the next time, I said, it's a beautiful song. Next time I heard it, I saw you. You were on television.
Speaker 6: And I was walking around. I was again the TV was on and you came on and I said, it's a song.
Speaker 4: I saw you. I said, oh my.
Speaker 6: Goodness, start singing it.
Speaker 7: And it's just been one of my favorites all time.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Yeah, my friend Jesse Harris wrote that song. Really, he was in my band and he wrote the song. I Love You wrote it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people think I wrote it, but hey, I wrote a few songs on that album, but I didn't really get deep into songwriting until a little bit later.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, you sing it like you wrote it. I think you have to, don't you.
Speaker 2: You have to feel like you own the song to really deliver it, even if you didn't come up with it, right. And that's what you do with the Jeff Twitty songs. Yes, and that's what you do with every song. I mean, really do what you have to do, you really do.
Speaker 7: You've got to from your heart. Yeah, it's got to come from your heart. If you you want to deliver it and you want people to get it and feel it and react from it the way you have, that's what's the way you gotta do.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: Pop's always told me.
Speaker 7: We were in in New York one time about I was about thirteen years old, and these kids sang before us, and they were just jumping all across the stage and singing loud. So when it was time for us to sing, I did that. Yeah, and my father snatched me off the stage. He said, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 11: Maybe?
Speaker 7: Wow, he said, what are you doing? I said, I'm just singing. Dad, He said, maybe, let me tell you something. You don't you your music don't need a gimmick. You don't need a gimmick.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: You sing from your heart. Sing what comes from the heart reaches the heart. And that's the way. I've never forgotten it, never, you know. And he said, you don't be you don't have to clown. You don't need to give me. I was drying the kids they were jumping across the stage. Yeah, singing loud, and uh, he says, the uh. You singing sacred music. You don't need any gimmick. Sing from your heart. If you sing from your heart, you'll reek the people.
Speaker 4: I agree with that. I also I think his voice also had that mellow, easy going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't trying to sing over anybody, but you had to lean in.
Speaker 4: To hear it. And then it hit you right right.
Speaker 6: And you're the same way. You know, you laid back.
Speaker 4: I don't know where, I don't know why, but you are.
Speaker 6: I'm just so proud to know you, a little lady.
Speaker 4: I'm proud to know you.
Speaker 2: I met you at the Kennedy Center for the first time, and you took my hands.
Speaker 4: And you saw I was nervous. I remember you knew I was nervous.
Speaker 6: I knew, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Could tell I could. So you took me and you held me. I said, I gotta protect this little girl. I was like, what am I doing here? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I came on down there and got you and just stand right by me and we held hands all through that finale.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was so fun. It was so special meeting you there.
Speaker 6: Oh man, that was a good time. Yeah, that was a good time. Anytime I see your name, I flare up. You know, that could go either way.
Speaker 4: And I was seeing you, I was seeing you so.
Speaker 7: Much like you told me, Yes, that was Christmas. But Christmas needed you, I was, it really needed you.
Speaker 2: You know what I needed Christmas last year, and that's why I made a Christmas album because I needed I needed a little joyful, something right feel right good.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm glad you made that album because they they were a featuring.
Speaker 6: You all week, all day again.
Speaker 4: Christmas exhaustion. Oh it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: You know recorded the song from your Christmas The Staples Singers Christmas album we did the twenty fifth day of December.
Speaker 6: Did you.
Speaker 4: I'll send it to you.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it wasn't on the album, but it was a bonus track. Oh, because I didn't feel like we made it. It was so your version is so good it was hard to beat it.
Speaker 4: But it's great. It's still a.
Speaker 2: Great version, and it's a great I loved your I listened to your Christmas album a.
Speaker 4: Lot really recording. Yeah really, Oh and that was so many years ago. Yeah, wow, but it's beautiful. It's a beautiful album.
Speaker 7: And and and Pops, he wrote the song there was a star he did. Yeah, he wrote that and uh, oh my god, Christmas. For a long time, you couldn't find it we couldn't find it.
Speaker 4: Oh, they had to reissue it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and and the Blind Boys they did some songs from that album.
Speaker 4: But I got to hear twenty five. That was my favorite. It was so maybewhere.
Speaker 6: My May, Julie last all good September October.
Speaker 4: No them, It wasn't last Mone of the year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, twenty fifth day of December.
Speaker 4: Did I leave it or not?
Speaker 2: I mean I kept saying when we were recording it, I kept saying the twenty second, twenty first day of December, just because it rolled off my tongue Rock and my drummer Brian.
Speaker 4: But he goes Nora. I think that's when Larry. You gotta get right.
Speaker 2: It's the twenty fifth day in December, not.
Speaker 4: The twenty first day Jesus birthday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't get that one right.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, and props brought that posa. Tell me when was Jesus born.
Speaker 6: Last mone of the year?
Speaker 4: When was Jesus.
Speaker 6: Born last one of the year? When was bone.
Speaker 12: Last mona?
Speaker 6: The yead you got January, March, April, and May, June, July, all good, September, October? No nomboy. It was twenty fifth del d seven. Boy, it was the last Money year, Born by the Virgin Mary Last Money.
Speaker 4: He was born by the.
Speaker 9: Virgin Mary, Last Money, Born by the Virgin Mary Last.
Speaker 13: Monny we got January, uh huh, February, yeah, mich April, May, June, July, all Gus, September No, No, the Denbury It was the twenty fifth de d somebody it was.
Speaker 6: The last Money.
Speaker 4: I love it. Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness. Yeah, well we're having Christmas today.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: I love the end of that song, Last Mother the.
Speaker 4: So how low can you go? How low can you go? I didn't go down? Oh my god, I didn't go down. Whoa how low can you go? I can go down very low?
Speaker 6: That is amazing.
Speaker 4: But did you like that when you were younger?
Speaker 7: You know, my voice was so heavy always, and I get I take it from my mother and my grandmother.
Speaker 4: They had strong voices.
Speaker 7: But I would Yeah, when I was a kid, it was my voice is higher now when I get my tonsils removed?
Speaker 4: Oh really, it got higher. Yeah that's so weird.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I would fight. Kids would tell me you sound like a boy.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: And when we started traveling, if I called down for breakfast, the lady.
Speaker 6: Would say yes, mister Staples, Yes, sir, I said.
Speaker 7: And I heard it so much the last time. I said, I'm a lady, and they said, oh, I'm sorry, you know, but yeah, it's always been uh. I've always had a heavy voice. And and I used to sing bass our first record. You know what I'm saying, Well, the will the Willow who that's insane?
Speaker 4: And how old were you?
Speaker 7: I was a kid, I was like like nine years old.
Speaker 4: That's when uncloudy Day came.
Speaker 6: Oh no, and cloudy Day came when I was thirteen, okay.
Speaker 4: Twelve thirteen. But but.
Speaker 7: They wanted to record us when I was a kid, and Pops wouldn't allow it. The president of VJ Records, Vivian Carter, she called Daddy. She said, she says, Stap, those kids, y'all need to be on record. And Pop said, well, Vivian, I don't know nothing about those records.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: He was all of us were green, we did, you know?
Speaker 7: And he said, I'm not gonna let my children get on those records.
Speaker 2: He was afraid because he was too young, right, he didn't know.
Speaker 4: What would business of it. Wow.
Speaker 7: And my sister Yvonne, she would go, she would and got books. She got this big read book, this business of music.
Speaker 4: She learned. She helped him a lot. Really people, Oh yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Got that book and help you guys figure out that's incredible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she sure did. She stayed right with him, you know, booking and and she.
Speaker 4: Taught him a lot.
Speaker 7: But also people like the Soulists and and uh sister Maya Jackson, they were already recording and they would tell Daddy different things. You know, they would tell him, you know, what to do and how.
Speaker 4: To do and watch out for this.
Speaker 7: So when I was about twelve, perhaps called Vivian and told her. He said, okay, Vivia, we'll make that recognized. Let my children.
Speaker 2: And after he'd read the book, Yeah, yeah, he felt good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because Pops, Pops didn't know. You know, we didn't We were just singing. He used to sing with an all male group, six guys, and these guys wouldn't come to rehearsal, so Poss would be frustrated.
Speaker 4: He'd come home mad.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: He came home that third time and he went in the closet, pulled out a little guitar that he had.
Speaker 4: We didn't even know he had a guitar. He couldn't play it. He could play it.
Speaker 7: He couldn't have all the strings, but he could make it sound good. And he told my Aunt Katy, he said, I'm gonna sing with my children. He called all of us into the living room, sit us down on the floor in the circle, and began giving us voices that he and his sisters and brothers used to sing when they were in Mississippi.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 7: People thought we were old people when we were We would go places and they just knew we were old.
Speaker 4: They heard us, and.
Speaker 7: Because because we had a little radio fifteen minute radio show Sunday morning, and we would sing, and they thought we were old people because Pops, we were singing those old voices like his sisters and brothers. We would walk in little stairsteps and they said, that's the stables sing already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but that's yeah.
Speaker 7: He would give us those voices and and that's how we started singing. My Aunt Katie lived with us, okay, and she came through one night.
Speaker 4: She says, Chuck, y'all sound pretty good. And my church Sonday, had you already been singing in church your whole lives?
Speaker 7: No, yeah, we've been singing. We hadn't do as the family, we hadn't been singing in church. We didn't start we started doing programs at churches. But but uh, my sister and brother were in the young people's choir.
Speaker 4: I was too young to go. Okay, yeah, so you didn't really sing much until he started doing it, until he started using what's your order? There's five of you kids. I'm the baby, you're the baby. Yeah, okay, bubbles, I get it now. Yeah, I'm the baby.
Speaker 6: Oh no, Cynthia, I was the baby for twelve years.
Speaker 4: Oh wow. And my baby sister came along, and you know, I didn't like how did that go?
Speaker 6: I didn't like that.
Speaker 7: I would be putting diapers on that baby and I stick up. Mama said maybe you were sticking that.
Speaker 4: I said no, ma'am mama.
Speaker 7: But Cynthia and I became the best of friends. We became the t I called her blessed, and she called me Rabel. She couldn't say my name Rabel, and and uh oh we she was, uh yeah, she was, she was. I told Papa, I said, we gotta put Cynthia. She would sing songs with us when we were in Chicago at the different churches. You know, but yes, Cynthia, and see, Mama and daddy they were just my mother was heavy set, so I never knew she was pregnant, you.
Speaker 4: Know, she just happened.
Speaker 7: I didn't know where this baby came from. And they told me, uh to pacify me. Uh because when my mother came home, she didn't bring the baby. She had to leave the baby there, and and and and Mama said, you go with with with Roebuck, get to pick up the baby. I said, what baby?
Speaker 4: What baby? Oh, my gosh. And uh.
Speaker 7: Then they started telling me that we had this baby, and so they let me name her.
Speaker 4: They did, Oh yeah, Cynthia.
Speaker 6: Marie that.
Speaker 4: I named her. Oh boy.
Speaker 7: And see, because because what happened, my father he would he would he wouldn't, he wouldn't pass me up. He goes straight to that baby of bed or wherever she was. And and blowing. He used to blow in my stomach, make me laugh.
Speaker 6: Tore me up in the air when he'd come from work. And all that stopped.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, And so somebody should have been around to talk to him, let him know he was supposed to keep doing that.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I grew up an only child, so It's like just I can't even imagine what it was like being in a family, Like.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, yeah, it was good being in them.
Speaker 7: We we uh, we would have we would disagree, we didn't have any We fuss sometime, but Mama would tell us, don't do that. You have to love your sister, and and that's your sister. And you all make up apologizing me. But you know, Yvonne and Cleatee they would do most.
Speaker 4: Of the argience. Oh yeah, because they were the close older That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whenever you guys were traveling, when how old were you when you started really traveling around and touring.
Speaker 4: I guess, oh, yes, we were touring.
Speaker 6: Were how old were you.
Speaker 4: In that start?
Speaker 6: I was, I was like about thirteen.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 4: Uncloudy Day was a hit. It was a hit, and you were thirteen years old. Uncloudy Day.
Speaker 7: This woman called pop, She says, Staples, this record is selling like an R and B. And it turned out that it was the first gospel record to sell a million.
Speaker 6: That's insane. It was.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was the first.
Speaker 6: Gospel and and and uh.
Speaker 4: But but we would we would.
Speaker 7: Be we would go to down South, we would go to Milwaukee, Gary, all around Chicago and sing and and.
Speaker 6: People would bet the disc jockey.
Speaker 4: When we went to New Orleans.
Speaker 7: Memphis, the disc jockey would get on the radio and say, this is little Navy staple. This little girl is singing this. People would bet that I was not a little girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you had that deep.
Speaker 7: I'm saying, well will will oh? Yeah, lord, they tell me now, And I.
Speaker 4: Got home.
Speaker 6: I got a home, and you know, I'm a little girl, little skinny girl.
Speaker 2: And you're short now, so you're probably I was even shorter.
Speaker 7: I was even shorter. But but but yeah, they would bet. And what we would do, we would fool the people. We would sing uncodly dady down in harmony.
Speaker 6: Whoa.
Speaker 7: They tell me all of that and then get to the end of it, and I come.
Speaker 4: In with, well, will will oh.
Speaker 7: So what happened was my brother at that people would be sitting on they all of these people that bet that I am not a little girl, and all of a sudden, perverse move my brother like he's gonna say, and you hear the people, I.
Speaker 4: Told you that wasn't no little girl. I told you that one. And I'm easy thene how easy to the mic?
Speaker 7: And they look up and it's really a little girls. Oh, we had so much fun with it.
Speaker 2: But that's so fun to travel with your family. Did it ever get sticky?
Speaker 4: Nah?
Speaker 2: No, you always anything even throughout through he got older.
Speaker 4: All of it, all of it.
Speaker 7: The only only thing Evonne Clete would argue about saying was what to wear.
Speaker 4: One of them wanted to wear this, and one of them wanted to wear that.
Speaker 7: And see, because you know my brother he left the group in nineteen sixty nine. It hurt me so bad, really, because Purvis and I we had this clap. Nobody could do that clap the way we would. And he just got grown a man, you know me, and they get tired of doing what their father.
Speaker 4: Tell them to do. You know.
Speaker 7: He wanted to be his own man. Because Pop's asking. Pop said, perr, you sure you don't want to just take a leave of accent, No, daddy, nope, I quit done. And just as he quit, I'll take you there, hit Oh, And and his friends would would mess with him.
Speaker 4: He go into one.
Speaker 7: Of their bars or whatever, and they put a quarter in the juke box and play I'll take you there.
Speaker 4: Said, y'all shouldn't do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he did all right he he he managed the emotions.
Speaker 4: For a while. Oh wow, so he got into the business. Yeah, oh, he was still in the business. He was still on the other side of it, right right.
Speaker 7: They were They were gospel singers at first, and they were our little friends, the hutcheson Sunbeams. I mean, they wanted to sing R and B and so that's when Purvis took them down the stacks, got him a choreographer, tarts steps.
Speaker 4: They had some hits then.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's amazing to me how close you guys stayed and that there was let you know, there could.
Speaker 4: Have been a lot of drama there.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yeah. But but but but my mother wouldn't allow it. Mama and Daddy, you.
Speaker 4: Know, they just taught us. They they taught us. We grew up loving one another.
Speaker 2: That's so special though, and it's it really feels unique. And I don't know, you're an only child, but I do have a half sister who's two years younger than me, but we both grew up separately, so we didn't know each other till we were a little older. Oh wow, but yeah, only child. That sounds like a party to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because some are you spoiled? Of course you are.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but if you ask my mother, she would tell you a different answer.
Speaker 6: Well, you know I met your mom, Yeah you did.
Speaker 4: She's very tall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, she is tall. She's tall, yeah, and I'm short. She's five to ten. I'm five to one.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I didn't really.
Speaker 2: I might have been spoiled, but I never messed with her like I was a good kid, because I didn't want her to get mad.
Speaker 4: She was so oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she was tough, and by her being so tall, you say I've been, I messed with her.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But all you had to do was leap up. Oh yeah, I don't think that would have flown with her. You did the right thing. Listen to mom. Mom knows best.
Speaker 7: I try, Yeah, you try try.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I was wondering. Do you remember the first song you sang with Pops when he was teaching you?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: The very first song my father taught us was what the Circle Beyond?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I love that.
Speaker 6: One of the Circle Beyond broke and all that was his faith. And on our records we recorded it about four or five times, but on the record Pops is singing, and I love to hear Pop sing because he was so smooth. You know, he was a singer like you.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 6: He was laid back.
Speaker 7: Look, Sladh Stone came to Pops one day and said, hey, Pop, give me the bag, and Pop say what you're talking about?
Speaker 4: He said, come on, mom, give me the bag. I know you got.
Speaker 2: It because he was so laid back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they thought.
Speaker 6: And purpose my brother had to tell Daddy what I was talking about. And Pop he says, like, you come, I'm gonna choke you boy. You know I don't do that.
Speaker 4: Mass too funny. Yeah, wow, it was so funny.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because they would all talk about how.
Speaker 7: Laid back Pop sing, you know, and and his voice is just flowed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But when he taught us circle be Unbroken and and and we have sang it. We sang it with Johnny Cash on his television show. It was the Staples family and the Carter family. That was years ago.
Speaker 4: That must have been fun. It was fun. Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was for one of one of his specials, you know.
Speaker 4: Those TV special Yeah.
Speaker 7: I love yeah, but but and I sing it all that's on my on my list on our show and perhaps may uh, because we look at us as a family.
Speaker 4: That's our circle.
Speaker 7: And he put us in a circle when he started giving us the voices to sing.
Speaker 4: It was I can just picture it. You're sitting down in the circle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna sing some of it for you.
Speaker 4: You sing it to you know. I don't know what key I.
Speaker 6: Sing in now you know that.
Speaker 14: I was thinking, g.
Speaker 6: I was stegning too low?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 4: Is that too low?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: That's good. What you say, key that is?
Speaker 7: That's g okay, that's a shame. I don't know what ky I sing at.
Speaker 4: No, it's not probably has changed over the years.
Speaker 7: I'd probably a yeah, I sing in some different keys though in our shoulders.
Speaker 4: But it's all right. I don't need to know what yeah I say. I can do it in any key. You just tell me.
Speaker 6: Oh, no, you were I think that was good. I was stinning and that's where you were.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And on a cold and cloud any day.
Speaker 4: When I saw the hers come rolling.
Speaker 6: Or to care my mother the away, Well, it's a circle. Be row can.
Speaker 8: By and by lord by and bye.
Speaker 4: Here's a bed.
Speaker 6: Hold away in the sky Lord and the scot.
Speaker 11: Wo.
Speaker 4: I told the.
Speaker 6: Under take, please drive slow cause it's lady that you haul land. Oh why to see her go.
Speaker 8: Will the circles being broken.
Speaker 5: By and by Lord, by bye, there's a.
Speaker 6: Bed home away in the sky Lord in the sky. I will follower close behind her.
Speaker 11: Try to hold up and be brave, but I could not.
Speaker 4: Pull my side role.
Speaker 6: Winner laid her in the grain in the circle.
Speaker 4: Be broken.
Speaker 15: Bye and bye, bye and bye.
Speaker 6: There's a bad uh my way in the sky.
Speaker 16: Lord in the sky in the sky, love him the sky in the sky, Lord in the sky.
Speaker 4: Oh you sound just like Cleedy?
Speaker 6: Oh really? Oh yeah? I Cleedy in your foot girl, don't stop me crying.
Speaker 7: I tell you my sister Kleedye. She had the best best soprano voice.
Speaker 4: Really so you were low and she was high. Yeah. Yeah, so you come from it.
Speaker 6: And I credit her for the Staples singer sound.
Speaker 7: Really oh yeah, oh wow. She would shoot and look. Aretha would be recording and she tell her sister Carolyn, Now, Carolyn, want to sound like cleother.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And and and Carolyn was saying, Carolyn told me about it.
Speaker 6: She said, maybe's I told her I can't sound like.
Speaker 7: Cleop She was mad about it, mad oh yeah, but it's a different Pops give Cley like a minor. She would go like, I know what I'm talking about, minor in some places.
Speaker 4: And but her boys, if you on all of our.
Speaker 7: Old stuff where Coletia is singing, her voice stands out, and and and her her soprano, and Popsa's guitar, that's the staple of singers.
Speaker 4: I love his guitar so much.
Speaker 2: And he cool taught himself, well, that's what's good about it. It's just feeling right. It's simple, but it's it's got the thing.
Speaker 4: That's what it's got, the sound, feeling right.
Speaker 2: When did he how did he get that electric sound? Do you know how that came about?
Speaker 4: Pop?
Speaker 6: I remember when he got that tremolo.
Speaker 4: Because that wasn't typical then, no gospel music.
Speaker 7: No and and and and some preachers, some preachers didn't want to contemplay his guitar in the church. And Pop said to let him know, look, you read your Bible string instruments, saying the Bible, you know the heart. The Pop would name them all. I guess, uh, what's that other one? I can't call the name of it. But but but and and and we just wouldn't go to the church if they wouldn't let Pops playing his guitar. But he learned from a blues man, Charlie Patton.
Speaker 6: Okay, see he.
Speaker 7: Pop Pops was on this farm, Patrick Practice Farm in Mississippi, and this man was hollering with a lot of the blues singers were on this this farm, and and and uh. Pops would tell us how this man, Charlie Patton would be playing and and look, we didn't know for years. While we were singing gospel, our father was playing the blues on.
Speaker 4: His Yeah, that's what it is. It's the marriage of those two things. And that made it so unique, right right right.
Speaker 7: But he he he, he went to the guitar store one day and he came back.
Speaker 4: With this trimolo.
Speaker 7: He said, y'all, let said listen to this, and he was drum and Elvis Presley told me one time, the first time, yeah, the only time I ever saw him. And the first time I ever saw him, we were in Memphis and I was standing on the side.
Speaker 6: It was a starlight review outside.
Speaker 7: And I was standing over in the wing, and all of a sudden he come in with one of his partners. They got these leather jackets on like they've been riding motorcycles, and and and we had sang and and uh. He told me, he said, I like the way your father played that guitar. I said, well, thank you. He said, yeah, he plays a nervous.
Speaker 4: Guitar, A nervous guitar. He called it a nervous guitar. What does that mean? Because of them? That was a good expression.
Speaker 7: I said, well, I've never heard that before, A nervous guitar. Yeah, that's what I'll never forget. And that was my meeting with Elvis Presley. I didn't know who one of the guys, David Ruffin who sing who later sang with the Temptation he was singing with a gospel.
Speaker 4: He told me, he said, maybe you know who that guy what you was talking to? I said no. He said blue Sways shoes. I said, I said, that's him. That's the way he would let me know because of blue sweight shoes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: But yeah, Pops played a nervous guitar.
Speaker 4: Did he laugh at that description?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Did he laugh? He did? He laugh?
Speaker 6: He told me, maybe, why didn't you call me over to let me me? I said, Daddy, I didn't really know who he was. I was just a David told me who he was. Yeah, that was beautiful.
Speaker 7: That's a good expression of him though. Of Pops is guitar nervous guitar because it does.
Speaker 4: That's just the funniest thing I've heard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, but but yeah, Daddy, that's that's when he learned how to play his guitar. And he was always playing it in the house, you know, after he'd let us know we had a guitar, because we didn't know until those guys wouldn't come to rehearsal.
Speaker 4: And he decided he probably.
Speaker 7: We probably wouldn't be any Staples singers if they had they had come to rehearsal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I thank them wow for being not not there, not not serious about this.
Speaker 7: They were the trumpet to and they had a good group too, Possle singing lead and uh and Pops had a voice. He would he he never went into his false settle on the Staple singers.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, he would go and he would tell me what how they do it up in heaven today and then he goes pee thereby there like a river.
Speaker 7: They say, oh possible bad. Yeah, And I recorded a song with Tweety that's what.
Speaker 6: Are they doing in heaven. I'm not singing it like.
Speaker 4: Pops though, Well that's okay. You sing like you. I thing like me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I sing like me.
Speaker 7: I'm so grateful to be talking to you, little lady.
Speaker 6: You are.
Speaker 7: You are so different from anybody else out here.
Speaker 4: Really, Yeah, nobody.
Speaker 7: Sounding like you.
Speaker 6: Nobody get me up break But that's what show.
Speaker 4: But that's what you want, right to be, to be different, right, and but but I'm just honored.
Speaker 7: You know, dude, I never thought I would meet you when I first heard you on the radio.
Speaker 4: Don't know why. I said, listen to who is she? Who is she? I'm still figuring it out.
Speaker 6: Yes, well no, well you you are a giant. You a tiny little lady.
Speaker 4: You are a giant. I tell you, I love it.
Speaker 7: And when I came to your show in the Red Rocks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did a show together. Yes, Yes, that was fun. I started it off.
Speaker 6: I warmed them up for you.
Speaker 2: You killed it, and I was nervous to go on out. I was, of course.
Speaker 7: I those people, all those people that came out for you, and and and I noticed you were doing.
Speaker 4: Some songs that I hadn't heard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and every time you would hit one of those songs, the crowd would roar, that's.
Speaker 2: So funny, that's what Well, that's one of my favorite audiences at Red Rocks, and they're always very loving.
Speaker 4: You play there many times, right, Yes, yeah, we.
Speaker 7: Have we have oh with different people. Yours was the best. We had fun.
Speaker 4: We have fun.
Speaker 2: We had recorded a song together that Pete Ran wrote. I don't know if you remember it, but I was wondering if you feel like trying it.
Speaker 7: Oh, it'll come to me as you go, because I that's been a while.
Speaker 4: What happened? Anyway? We were supposed to go on tour with that song.
Speaker 2: We were gonna go on tour and then the pandemic hit. Yeah, we were gonna do a bunch of shows together.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember. I was so happy.
Speaker 6: Me too. Oh man, we will again because it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, we will just do it again. We do it again and set it up. You set it up. There's a play pies.
Speaker 8: Five from here.
Speaker 6: Going to make it my homes swear I've been a lone.
Speaker 4: Where I get.
Speaker 8: Where I'm going, I'll be gone, I'll be gone.
Speaker 4: Where my horse get so tired.
Speaker 6: That candy tail time, don't you crie?
Speaker 4: M When I gain.
Speaker 15: Where I'm going, I'll be gone. I'll be gone.
Speaker 17: Where sha I could tell you that the sun was gonna shine.
Speaker 4: I've got a feeling.
Speaker 6: That I still want change my mind running out of the tide. There's a place on the mountain you can take my bones. But I go home.
Speaker 4: When I get.
Speaker 15: Where I'm going, I'll be.
Speaker 8: Gone, I'll be gone.
Speaker 6: I got to tell you that it's all going to be just find.
Speaker 12: But I don't wanna.
Speaker 6: Waste anymore of your time. You didn't waste mind. Oh now you're talk about a beautiful song.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful songs. He wrote this a long time ago, really, yeah, I mean maybe eight years nine years ago. And yeah, at one point he mentioned, gosh, it would be cool to hear maybe his sing this.
Speaker 4: So I was like, you're right, but yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm I'm a little shy sometimes I have a hard time reaching out and asking to do things.
Speaker 13: But don't be that way with me, Okay, now you know it don't come to me anything but anything.
Speaker 2: But it came full circle, but not for like five more years and then and then I got unshy and I asked you to sing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah. I was so that that blew my mind. I said, oh wow, it's a great one.
Speaker 6: That's what I wish. I could play up anything.
Speaker 4: And you never picked anything up.
Speaker 6: I picked up the guitar.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I told Pops I wanted to play that guitar. And he's tried to teach me, but he didn't. He wasn't taught either. So and and then it.
Speaker 6: Was a time when Pops was still frisky.
Speaker 4: I was young. What does that mean.
Speaker 6: I mean he wasn't readily okay, didn't.
Speaker 2: Have the patient I think I took it the wrong way.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't man going out on mama.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know that's that's frisky. But no, he just wasn't patient enough.
Speaker 7: So he gave me about he got me a little training guitar, and he gave me about three lessons and he was done. He said, maybe I'll tell you what, baby. You go down to Lion Heally And I'm eleven years old. I don't know how to.
Speaker 6: Go downtown to line Healey.
Speaker 4: To get lessons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, yeah, to get lessons from them.
Speaker 7: And I told him, I said, Daddy, I want to pick it like you and sister Rose at the Thark. I don't want to, you know, but but if I had learned, if I had learned how to strum, I think that would have made it easier for him to teach me.
Speaker 4: You know, to pick. Picking is harder, harder.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, I know that's but but but I would have been happy strumming.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask you about when you guys met doctor Martin Luther King and you kind of switched from singing gospel to singing these freedom songs protest songs. I read something about Pops meeting him and saying he wants to sing his words.
Speaker 4: That is the most beautiful thing I've heard. That was something. Yeah, Pops, he it just happened.
Speaker 7: We were in Montgomery, Alabama, on Sunday morning. We didn't have to work until that night, and Pops called my sisters and I to his room and he told us, he said, listen, y'all, this man Martin is here, Martin Luther King, and he has a church here.
Speaker 6: He said, I've been listening to him on the radio. Doctor King had a radio show.
Speaker 7: And Pops had been listening to him, and he said, I'd like to go to his eleven o'clock service.
Speaker 4: Do you all want to go, Yeah, Daddy, we wanna go.
Speaker 7: We all got in the car, went down the decks to Avenue Baptist Church and and we were ushered in and seated. Someone let Doctor L. King know that we were in the service, and he acknowledged us.
Speaker 6: He said, we got to have Poper Staples and his daughter's here this morning. Hope you enjoyed the service. Well, we enjoyed the service.
Speaker 7: And that at as the the service is over, the worshipers, Doctor King stands at the door to shake the worshiper's hands as as they filed out, and Pops walked past shook his hand. Now, my sisters and I did first we shoot, We shoot doctor King. Oh that was a feeling. I shook his hand and Pops we had to wait on him. He stood there and talked to him for a while. He finally came on. We get back to the hotel. He called us to his room again and he said, listen, y'all, I l this man's message. I really like his message, and I think that if he can preach it, we can sing it.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: And we started writing freedom songs. March up Freedom Highway? Why am I treated so bad?
Speaker 4: We we we we.
Speaker 7: We switched over because we didn't feel that it was anything wrong. We felt like this was close to gospel. Yeah, you know, we singing the truth, you know.
Speaker 6: We we we we wanna we want We joined the movement and and uh we would sing. We would sing before Doctor King would speak.
Speaker 7: We'd go to the meetings and Doctor King would tell Pop, stay, you're gonna sing my song the night right probably say, oh, yeah, doctor were gonna sing your song?
Speaker 4: Why am I treated so bad? Yeah?
Speaker 7: That was his favorite, and and and and people asked me what did He never talked to us girls. He never sit down, and he would just he would just say something, how you girls doing this morning?
Speaker 4: Y'all doing all right? Yes, sir doctor King? Wow.
Speaker 7: But he wouldn't sit in hold and Pops would talk. People ask me, what did he talk to you about? What he didn't talk to me?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: But what what I did remember mostly Doctor King was his laughter. He had this laughter when he laughed, because most of the time I would see him, he either looked sad or serious, you know, And when I'd hear him laugh, that would make my heart happy because I said, doctor King's happy, And that would be most of the time when we'd be going to the meeting and the men would be in a huddle down in the parking lot, and all of a sudden, you hear doctor King laughing.
Speaker 4: That made me feel so good.
Speaker 7: But no, he never held a conversation with my sisters and I.
Speaker 4: He was just asking that.
Speaker 7: He said the same way every time you girls doing this morning.
Speaker 4: Wow, how much older was he?
Speaker 2: You were young?
Speaker 4: Still? I was young? Yeah? How young were you then? I mean, I'm just I.
Speaker 7: Was well in the sixties sixty This was like about sixty three, nineteen sixty three, so I was born in thirty nine.
Speaker 4: I'm not good at math. You were in your you were in your early twenties.
Speaker 7: Oh, let's say you know, yeah, I was in my early twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 6: But but that was when we joined the movement and we became.
Speaker 4: The soundtrack you did. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Congressman John Lewis would tell oh, he was my friend. Now he was my friend.
Speaker 7: And I went to his office when I did a Freedom album with Ray Koto, and I asked him if he would write my liner notes, and he said, baby, you know, you and your family, y'all kept us motivated, kept us inspired.
Speaker 4: To keep on watching your songs.
Speaker 7: I said, yes, sir, not because after surprised he remembered me. Yeah, I said you, I hadn't seen him in the years, and uh, I was surprised.
Speaker 4: He gave me a meeting and.
Speaker 18: His of course he remembered he didn't remember me, baby, your family, and and so he I hate I missed his birthday, invited me to his last birthday party.
Speaker 7: And I couldn't go. We were working, you know, But but he was my friend to the end. Yeah, Congressman John Lewis.
Speaker 4: That's beautiful, Uncle John, Uncle John.
Speaker 2: When you guys were writing songs, was everybody was collectively just sort of pitching in?
Speaker 4: Did Pops always yeah? Was he Did he ever work on songwriting like on his own all the time? Or yeah? He did.
Speaker 7: Pops was always jotting something down, you know, and and we would help him. We would put some words in on this on But but that's Daddy's something we we don't want any credit for, okay, right, and we give them to Daddy, all of us. Interesting, Yeah, we we we dropped drop words and he can march of Freedom's Highway. Made up my mind and I won't turn around, made up mine. And there's this one thing I can't understand, my friend, that I'm proud of that because that was me Why some folk think freedom was not designed for all men? There are so many people living their life perplexed.
Speaker 4: Wondering in their minds, what's going.
Speaker 7: To happen next. That's why we're going to march, you know. That was the very first one we wrote for the movement. And boy, we moved on. We and and uh we were seeing that. We sing, oh, why am I treating so bad? Possible that because of the there were nine children in Little Rock, Arkansas, trying to integrate Central High School.
Speaker 4: They would meet people.
Speaker 7: They these kids would walk up there every day their books in their arms, proud, and people would throw stones at them, spit at them, call.
Speaker 6: Them names, but they never turned their head. They just kept walking.
Speaker 4: That's amazing. Oh and these they were my age, they were you know.
Speaker 7: So we would all be on the floor popsing his recliner and were watching the news. It got so bad and it lasted so long. The mayor of Arkansas, of Little Rock, the governor of Arkansas, and the President of the United States said, let those children go to school, and whoa I wanted to if we all wanted to see this on the news. That particular day, the kids were walking. They get right up to the bus and a policeman put his billy club across the door, and Pop said, right there, and he said, how why is he doing that? Why are they treating him so bad? And he wrote that song from that experience.
Speaker 6: I tell you, we have had a baby's sister, I have.
Speaker 4: I have seen a lot. I have seen a lot, and and it.
Speaker 7: Just makes me more prayerful and more willing to sing my songs, you know, because I I don't have to sing love. I don't have to be like everybody else. I've seen protest songs. I sing to help us.
Speaker 2: Move it forward, moving forward, right, moving it forward, right, and we're still going.
Speaker 4: We're still going. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And and I owe it to Pop's I owe it to my father. You know.
Speaker 7: We went to South Africa and these people wanted us to sing, want the black people to be in the balcony Johannesburg, And Pops told him, he said, no, I'm anna allow my children to sing like he said. Doctor King just got that straightened out in the States, and we're not gonna sing like that. They said, now you can send us home. Do what you got to do. We're not singing like. So they moved our show to the soccer field and so waito, wow, it's a wait, it's all it's all black.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, this is where the people live in little match boxes. And it was the very first time that blacks and white sit together, no kind of I mean that that soccer field was backed yeah, and and black and white were sitting right next to each other. And but they had these I've never seen a German shepherd dog so big. The bit the police was walking around with them, you know, I guess for just in case something went wrong.
Speaker 4: But it was peaceful.
Speaker 7: But see, during that time, they wouldn't let us go downtown by ourselves.
Speaker 4: That must have been hard to go at all it was. They wouldn't allow it.
Speaker 7: The kids would tell me, if we will call you, we will come see you. If they call my my.
Speaker 4: Calls would go to the white girl's room.
Speaker 6: She would be there and she would she would take her and she wouldn't let the kids talk to me.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't let them in the hotel.
Speaker 6: That It was very educational, very beautiful experience and.
Speaker 4: Intense intense, intense.
Speaker 2: Yes, you've been on tour though since the podemic a lot. You've got to tour in these little pockets. And I'm really excited to hear that I haven't at all yet. What I just haven't not since the the COVID started. Oh okay, you know, I'm excited that you're out there doing it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I'm going everywhere you're going.
Speaker 4: And we booked now through November. You're doing a tour with Bonnie Ray the Center. I always do it. That's amazing. That'll be my third tour.
Speaker 2: We've known her a long time, right, Oh, yes, she's great. You know that's going to be a show.
Speaker 4: I tell you. Oh, it's always good show. Yeah.
Speaker 7: But I used to be jellous of Bonnie. My father loved us so much.
Speaker 4: You're jealous.
Speaker 7: And I told us, I said, look, I didn't know if I should get some red hair, or if I should learn how to play to get taught, or if I should get real tiny because poss love. Yeah, and she loved she came to see she came to the hospital Seapop when he was sick. Wow, And and Bonnie took me so bad. Pop went upstairs.
Speaker 6: He wasn't feeling good, and he went upstairs to lie down. She followed him. She sit on the bed and she said, now nobody can tell me I haven't been in pop Stable bed.
Speaker 2: That's Bonnie, Yeah, that's Bonnie.
Speaker 7: It was funny, Yeah, it's funny, but it was so good. Made Possib feel so much better. He gave her a guitar. He had to get there, and all of us were there. We sang, that's beautiful.
Speaker 4: It was it was.
Speaker 2: Isn't it something? How music keeps you going? Yes, it really keeps Yes, it keeps you young, It keeps you young, and it's healing. Yeah, and it brings joy.
Speaker 4: And right, and we can't do without music. I know, no way.
Speaker 2: I get that feeling from you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, yeah, I passed it on the passing it, but well, I tell you, yours brought me so much.
Speaker 2: I wish could, Oh, I wish I could play watch him play guitar in the person.
Speaker 4: You know what you would do?
Speaker 6: He would tell me that's the way. Oh no, that's you know who else?
Speaker 2: You know who else gave me that feeling? Always was Levon Helm Is that right?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He gave me that.
Speaker 2: Feeling where he just it was just all music and it kept.
Speaker 4: Him going and just you know, oh man, And.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time I saw you on TV, was watching The Weight on the Last Walls and I thought, my goodness, she is beautiful.
Speaker 4: And she's smoking all of that. I couldn't believe it. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I was just like, and you looked six feet tall, and you look so tall.
Speaker 4: For me, it's yes, yeah you do. We had on those long black gown.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was beautiful.
Speaker 6: Oh man.
Speaker 2: I mean I'd heard your singing my whole life, but it was the first time I zerre it in and visually.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was nice. I know you had our long friendship with Levon.
Speaker 7: Oh lord Levon. I have an album coming out with Levonne. Wow and and and uh.
Speaker 6: We we did it at his barn and he was right next to me and with them drums.
Speaker 4: But but I tell you about it.
Speaker 7: When we when we were doing les Walt, Levon was smoking and Pops went back to we had a break, Levon, Pops go back. They were tight buddies Levon and Pops said, Levon, man, you smoking two cigarettes. He had a cigarette and Levon said, all.
Speaker 4: You gotta try this one. I don't think they were the same. Yeah, they were not the same.
Speaker 7: Papa said, Levon, I don't think that messed but that that Daddy laughed about that forever.
Speaker 4: He laughed about that.
Speaker 7: But yeah, Levonne, that was the best time because we stayed there about a week. We you know, we would go back to the barn every day from the hotel.
Speaker 4: And making the record.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when did you make it? About ten years ago?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, because I was gonna say, look, are you all gonna release this record? Am I going to be? Didn't gone or what? But yeah, they it's coming I think in May.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, yeah, I can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 4: It's been a long time and I love it.
Speaker 2: You know that he's gone, especially, it'll be so special, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And Amy Amy helped, you know. I told her to tell her about it. I said, Amy, the didn't need to release the record. Yeah, you know, we end up in age and we might leave here me so she said, you gotta going good. But yeah, that was that was a proud time.
Speaker 2: Did you do what the songs? Did you do with Levan? Did you do all old songs? Did you do that that Nina Simone version, that's a Billy Taylor song, isn't it. I wish I knew how it would feel to be free.
Speaker 4: That's a Billy Taylor song.
Speaker 2: That's what my my my phone said when I googled it, because I mean the Nina version is. But I think it's that Billy Taylor wrote it, really, and I it's so funny. I saw him play. Yeah, And when I was in high school, I didn't realize that. Yeah, but yeah, that's a great song. Did you record that with Levan? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I wish I knew. And and we recorded Trouble in Mine? Oh, I love that one in mine?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and and uh ohh, I love some Nina Nina.
Speaker 4: Did you know her?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yes, well yeah, yes, And she was someone I met whose voice was heavier than mine.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, and boy she was.
Speaker 7: I saw her first saw her in the village gate and she had on a white she was playing that piano and and and all of.
Speaker 4: The sudden and people dawn. She stopped and stood up.
Speaker 6: Do you people have cotton in your ears?
Speaker 4: Whoa?
Speaker 7: She told them off, because they were talking, you have cotton in your ears?
Speaker 6: And I said, whoa, go on, sister, But yeah, we got to know, we got to be very good friends.
Speaker 4: That we were.
Speaker 6: We were in the Bahamas, though last time I saw her we were in the Bahamas.
Speaker 7: And uh, then she moved to New Guinea where Miriam mckibo was and and uh she passed.
Speaker 4: Away over there.
Speaker 7: But but baby's sister, we were in New Guinea, don't you know. These little guys they were in the auditorium where we were singing.
Speaker 6: They want to have a coup against the president of somebody.
Speaker 4: Oh God. And we got to.
Speaker 7: The show and we're standing at the door, Pops and my sister and I and this man is saying that's all we could understand was you know, and and he was telling them. So they still came in with the guns. And they stood on the side of the stage in the wings where we were, and as I was singing, I would look over there a little bit and it would be just dancing.
Speaker 4: That is crazy. Yeah, y'all, don't scared us to death.
Speaker 2: You have gone to some wild times places you've you've had it.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeow. Yeah, So we made it through that one.
Speaker 2: I do have one more question, if you feel comfortable talking about it. Yeah, I was curious about songwriting and this. How were you told me yesterday. Yeah, that broke my heart.
Speaker 7: You know, it's been so long ago that I'm surprised.
Speaker 4: I even brought it up. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Somebody said something about a songwriting and it did this man. You know, I had written my three songs and he was at Stax Records. He wanted all of my publishing.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 7: And I'm telling him on the phone, telling him, no, I'm singing twelve songs on the album. You know, you take all that pubblish but mine. My father's always taught me I should get one hundred percent of my writers and publishing. And he talked to me like, all right, miss Stables, all right, I understand, yes, all right, We'll do as you like. And I'm thinking I've won. Yeah, the record come out and and it's it's on a different label or something, and uh, it's me singing.
Speaker 4: And then they have songwriter unknown and a song you wrote. Yeah, the songs that I wrote.
Speaker 7: Wow, And I said, well, you know, it was so long ago, you know, no need of me trying to fix this now.
Speaker 4: But that broke my heart. And you didn't write after that. I didn't write anymore songs.
Speaker 2: But that's that's the sad part. But but you still make all songs your own. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but that's just you know, that stuff happened so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah back then.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a shame the way people are treated. You know, it's not just me, you know. I'm sure the record business has.
Speaker 4: Been tricky, tricky, tricky, tricky, but it was much trickier back then. Yeah, yeah, way back.
Speaker 7: That was and and and and I was doing stuff. You know, I was afraid because I was these were these were secular songs, yeah, and and and you do something secular against the gospel stuff. I was lucky. I don't know how it happened. I recorded houses, not a home. I recorded a second and and the church people didn't say nothing about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you you got in trouble for that.
Speaker 7: I could have got could but they didn't. You know what they messed with. I'll take you there. They wanted to put us out of church. Wow, they say, the stable singers and singing the devil's music. Wow, the devil music. I said, you all, you gotta listen to our lyrics. They heard this beat and then the people would jump up and dance, and I'll take you there, you know, because but up until I'll take you there, we just sang with my father's guitar.
Speaker 6: We didn't have no rhythm section. Yeah, we just sing with dad his guitar.
Speaker 7: And and but when this rhythm section came on, I'll take you there singing.
Speaker 4: The Devil's it sounded different.
Speaker 7: Look, we're telling you I know a place. Ain't nobody crying? I mean, ain't nobody world.
Speaker 4: That's a gospel song, taking you to heaven? Yeah, I mean, and and lo and behold.
Speaker 7: After all the interviews we did talking to these people, they invited us back to church.
Speaker 4: We go back to church.
Speaker 7: The first song requested in the pool bit I'll take you there.
Speaker 4: You know what I said. You know you just don't know what to do to please people.
Speaker 2: It's true. That's why you gotta just speak your truth, sing your truth right and spread some love.
Speaker 4: Spread love, put out love, Yes, put it out there, and that's what you do. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna keep on doing it. You are my favorite fall of love. You, my little sweetheart. I love you so much. Do you have one more song in you?
Speaker 2: Or can I play? Can I play you a song? And you chime in if you want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we'll end it. We can.
Speaker 2: Let's do it the album. Pops made the album uh that song friendship, Oh yes, and then Jeff and the crew they kind of fixed it up right and and recorded all recorded like you weren't happy with it, and it.
Speaker 4: Never got that's right.
Speaker 7: And tweety did all that for Pop's album. That was that's his last work, and I wanted it. I wanted to put it out there, but I wanted to put it out properly and write.
Speaker 4: And so he.
Speaker 2: Re recorded all the stuff that you weren't happy with, right. Yes, he took the tracks of Pops and you guys singing, and I.
Speaker 4: Was so pleased.
Speaker 6: I come up in here to listen and tears just flowed.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 6: My sister Vaughn and I we we came to check it out.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: J It's a beautiful recording and it's a great song. That's a pop song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's a good song. It's a really good song. Say watch my longtime friend, something's bothering You tell me what the problem is.
Speaker 6: I see what I can do.
Speaker 4: There's a times we disagree. We agree more that we don't.
Speaker 6: We won't always see I do lie.
Speaker 4: But we will more than we won't because we.
Speaker 17: Got our friendship, the kind of last life time.
Speaker 4: Through all the timeships.
Speaker 6: You know you're a friend of mine. We got our friendship, the.
Speaker 2: Kind of last life time, through all those hardships.
Speaker 6: You know you're a friend of mine.
Speaker 4: You want to sing, what oh.
Speaker 6: Talk to me, oh parle of mine? If you feel you can't go home, don't you sweat. It ain't over yet, this spawn with Shelly Strong. I've been awall. You are right now. You saw me through it all. I lean on you now you can lean on me. I bet I won't lady you fall because we got friendship kind of lasts a life time through all the hardship.
Speaker 4: You know you're a friend of mine because we got fast ship, the kind.
Speaker 6: Of lasts life time. Who are those harships? You know you're a friend of mine. If you're on the street, I'll take your hat.
Speaker 4: You're hungry, I'll give you food.
Speaker 2: God if it's money you need.
Speaker 6: I got some saved. If you're sick, I'll visit you.
Speaker 2: I've been with you all right now, you saw me through it all.
Speaker 4: I'll lean on you now.
Speaker 6: You can lean on me.
Speaker 17: I won't let you fall because we got friend ship, the kind of last live time.
Speaker 4: Through all hardships.
Speaker 6: You know you a friend of Miney, we got friend ship kind of last life time.
Speaker 9: As you know you're a friend of mine through all.
Speaker 6: The hard ships.
Speaker 4: You know you're a friend of.
Speaker 6: Mine, through all the hard shops.
Speaker 4: You know you're a friend of mine. I had a fight that came from Crime Girl. I love that song and I love you. Thanks for thanks for talking with me.
Speaker 7: I'm so happy. I'm so happy you invited me. I've never done one of these. What do you call it a podcast?
Speaker 4: Podcast?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm honored that you joined me. Thank you, Maavi. You are loved by all who know you. Ask for everything, always.
Speaker 5: Love it.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Thank you.
Speaker 14: Just playing alone, Thanks for listening to the show that was made a Staples incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a fun way.
Speaker 5: I just want her to call me and tell me everything's going to be okay.
Speaker 4: I believe her.
Speaker 2: We should just call her, Hey, can you tell me everything's gonna be okay?
Speaker 4: I'm sure she probably needs to hear it too.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's true, Yeah, it's true, she is not alone. In fact, let's let's wrap this up so we can go call her. How much thanks for listening to the show. Our show was recorded by Mark Greenberg at The Loft in Chicago, mixed by Jamie Landry and additional engineering by Greg Tobler. Produce by Me and Sarah Oda Sarah Oda and WA photography by Shervin Linez.
Speaker 4: Artwork by Eliza Fry. See you Later,