Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. Alright, I got tonight's.
Speaker 2: He's the host of The O'Reilly Factor on the Fox News program channel. His new book is called Killing Patt in a strange death of World War Two's most audacious general. He's welcome back to our program, mister William O'Reilly.
Speaker 1: William, what's pop a seed?
Speaker 2: I'm glad given the ebola scare, you still are shaking my hand. I think, Uh that's a positive step. I know you're very frightened, and I just want to tell you everything's going to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go, baby, it's just got going. That's settled down. Uh.
Speaker 2: The book is called, uh mill O'Reilly Killing Patten. It's like that with the eighth We're just gonna call this series killing Trees. They still like crazy at one of them. Uh you didn't what you didn't read it though, No, I did not read it.
Speaker 1: Uh, listen to me. Here's here's all I want from you today.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is it. This is all we got to do in this conversation. Okay, just one. I have one simple goal.
Speaker 2: I want you to admit that there is such a thing as white privilege.
Speaker 1: That's all I want to know I knew you.
Speaker 2: That's it, just a little I just I just want you to say, I'm I'm terribly terribly wrong on this.
Speaker 3: Okay, Look, if there is white privilege, then there has to be Asian privilege. Asians make more money than whites.
Speaker 1: What you don't know what he is? Huh? Well not not? What kind of asia you have to Asian Americans? Well depends on where they're from.
Speaker 3: If you're looking at different Asia, they're Asian Americans.
Speaker 1: I understand that.
Speaker 3: But as if they make more money, with higher education, more affluent. So it's Asian privilege, not white privilege.
Speaker 1: You're you're missing the point, and I'm sorry to confuse you with fact. You're not. It's not the that's the Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: The Asian experience in America, Asian immigrant experience is very different from the black experience, so it's really they're not equivalent. And either way, white people, males set the system. So that's what privilege is, is that that white people set the system. That Yes, maybe Asian immigrants, once immigration policy was liberalized, have done better over these past thirty or forty years, but there has been a systemic, systemic systematized subjugation of the black community.
Speaker 1: Would you not agree with that?
Speaker 2: Sure that was then, this is now what there was white privilege, but it no longer exists.
Speaker 3: Maybe you haven't figured out that there is no more slavery, no more Jim Crow, right right, And are the most powerful man in the world.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, here we go a black American and.
Speaker 3: The most powerful woman in the world, Oprah Winfrey is black.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Being able to give people a free car does not make the most powerful around work.
Speaker 1: Because I see the issue here.
Speaker 2: You don't believe that the residual effect of I mean, slavery and Jim Crow are dead. But the residual effects of that systemic subsitucation exist today.
Speaker 3: Absolutely exists.
Speaker 1: Let's go a different way.
Speaker 3: It exists for every race, not at that extent.
Speaker 1: So that's white. So you but you don't.
Speaker 3: Put forth all right, this oh white privilege and if you fail, that's why you fail? All right? America is now a place where if you work hard, get educated and an honest person, you can succeed. That's what should be put out there.
Speaker 1: You are carrying all this carrying.
Speaker 2: You are carrying more of a burden as a black person in this country than a white person in this country from collectively, yes, but not individually. You listen, every circums different, even though they've done far more damage to the accounty.
Speaker 3: Don't stop white.
Speaker 1: People, white people. White people do more drugs in this country than black people. But black people make.
Speaker 2: Up a far higher majority of the You know why that, yes, you do know why that is?
Speaker 1: Why is that because black people? It's about real estate.
Speaker 2: To some extent, there has been a systemic subjugation through real estate. Black people are ghetto wised in this country.
Speaker 3: They have to live there.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're telling, Oh, you're getting to a bad place, my friend. What made you culture? Do you think your upbringing gave you values, ethics?
Speaker 4: You were not.
Speaker 1: You didn't grow up rich, right, No, but you worked hard? Money at all? I did? You worked hard? You lived where Levett Town, Levittown, New York.
Speaker 2: So it gave you a nice stable, a cheap home. There was no down payments. Uh, there was this incredible opportunity. No, those houses always just subsidized.
Speaker 1: It wasn't less.
Speaker 3: They weren't subsidized, but they were sold to gis and the GI's got a mortgage they could afford look, but let me let me just that.
Speaker 1: Makes us a huge mistake.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, let me just ask you a question. Yes, did that upbringing leave a mark on you?
Speaker 1: Even today?
Speaker 3: Of course every upbringing me is a mark on it.
Speaker 1: Great people. Could black people live in Levittown? Not at that time?
Speaker 2: It could not so that my friend might all in the business white privilege.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was in ninety.
Speaker 5: No that that was in nineteen fifty, All right, nineteen fifty, nineteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Were there are black people living there in nineteen sixty in Levittown?
Speaker 1: Yes? I don't know there weren't. How do you know? Because I read up? Oh you read up? You don't know that I do. I can find somebody. My point is this, even today.
Speaker 3: Why would you want to live there? It's a nice place, but it's not a place like you.
Speaker 1: It's not like the Belaire because it's the place that built values. What you don't understand is there.
Speaker 3: Imagine what millions of black neighborhoods that build value.
Speaker 2: But imagine growing up knowing that you, as an American, as a g I who fought in World War two, couldn't buy into that because you were less.
Speaker 1: It was you were not there. It was unfair, and the residue of that continues today. And that is white privilege. All right.
Speaker 3: If you want to say it's white privilege, it exists, fine, but that's not what's happening here in contemporary society.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. No, it's not. If you let me repeat this and I'll do it slowly, all right.
Speaker 5: So even you can.
Speaker 3: Understand if you work hard, if you get educated, if you're an honest person.
Speaker 1: You can make it in America.
Speaker 2: If you live in a neighborhood where people are poverty.
Speaker 1: Is endemic, it's harder to work hard. It's harder to get an education.
Speaker 3: Hey, it was harder for me than it was for the white guy in Garden City. It's all relative. Yes, it's harder if you're a ghetto kid. Yes, but can you do it?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes you can.
Speaker 2: So I don't understand is why so defensive about it?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why is it that white people get so defensive about this. I'm not saying that life isn't hard.
Speaker 1: Middle class white guys.
Speaker 2: That are working hard to do what they can, and they look and they go, I'm not getting any privilege.
Speaker 1: That's not what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: What we're talking about is a group of people that were brought here.
Speaker 1: They didn't choose to immigrate here to get that better life.
Speaker 2: And just acknowledge that our countries had a problem with that and.
Speaker 1: We knowledge move that who are fair minded.
Speaker 3: But you don't then take that and then condemn the modern society.
Speaker 1: Because you know what I'll call it. I'll call it this, and it's a word. I think you'll understand a factor. It's a factor. It's a factor. I'll give you the fact that your humility has moved me.
Speaker 2: You are like Pope Francis that has taken the Catholic Church into an era of acceptance and humility.
Speaker 1: You, you Bill O'Reilly.
Speaker 2: Can lead the flock of the fox fearful to a better place.
Speaker 1: I believe in you.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is a conservative commentator with her own show on the Blaze Network. Please welcome, Tommy Laren.
Speaker 6: I'm in the lions Den, Trevor.
Speaker 4: I'm not a lion, that's all. Is that like an African thing? No, welcome to the show. Before we get into it, I know who you are because my Facebook feed has you in it. There are a lot of people who don't, So if you don't know, Tommy Laren. This is a little taste of her show.
Speaker 7: The protesters are still out in force, but let's be honest, they're not protesters. They're cry babies with nothing better to do than manned around the streets with their participation trophies in false sense of purpose. This isn't for Hillary. I'm not even sure this is against Trump. It's the same thing we've seen time and time again with these so called protesters and demonstrators. Is started with the Occupy Wall Street brats, moved on to the more militant, overtly aggressive Black Lives Matter more crowd cycled through the DNC paid violence instigators, and now here we are November of twenty sixteen, with President elect Donald Trump and a crowd of misfit baby's form from every failed movement all sandwich together to become the largest group of winers the country has ever seen.
Speaker 8: A right.
Speaker 6: Pretty most covers it, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Trevor quick question like why are you so angry?
Speaker 6: I'm actually not that angry.
Speaker 7: It's just there's things that need to be said, Trevor, and a lot of people are afraid to say.
Speaker 4: In an angry way. I mean, you can't say you're not angry, and I mean, this is this is what you're known for. It's a strange thing to say I'm not angry, but that is the one thing. It's like Ellen saying I don't like dancing. It's like, yeah you do, Ellen, you do. You are angry about everything.
Speaker 6: It seems somebody's you will just need to be called in there.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean when you say that, the one in particular, this is the thing protesting.
Speaker 6: A you know, fair and free election.
Speaker 7: That to me, you get called in your head a little bit.
Speaker 6: It's time to clear the streets.
Speaker 7: It's time to accept reality, it's time to move on, time to make.
Speaker 6: America great again.
Speaker 4: You consider yourself the conservative I do.
Speaker 6: Okay, I mean I'm millennials.
Speaker 7: I don't really like labels, but yes I'm conservative in thought.
Speaker 4: Sorry my brain, you just gave a label to say you don't like labels.
Speaker 6: But anyway, we exist on a spectrum.
Speaker 4: That was just funny. That was just funny. This is a funny moment, Millennial. It's just funny. In terms of black lives matter, Like you know, you have quite a record for somebody who is not racist. You have to spend a lot of time saying I'm not racist. What is your biggest issue with Black Lives Matter?
Speaker 7: I think, and I've said this many times, it started with good intentions. I think it was it was well intentioned. The moment that they started pushing hands up, don't shoot, which is a false narrative, proven time and time again to be a false narrative. The minute that that became their slogan, the minute that protes turning it into rioting and looting and burning and militant actions, that's when I lost respect for Black Lives Matter.
Speaker 4: Okay, but now here's my thing. Let's address each of these things one by one. When you go protesting turning into rioting and looting, that's not a Black Lives Matter phenomenon. That is what happens when there is a protest. A lot of the time. There were people who rioted and looted when teams won in Chicago years ago. It doesn't mean that they are now bad people. That's what happens. There are some bad people in every instance. Going back to Black Lives Matter, though, for you to say that you say they have good intentions. They had the good intentions. How are you labeling out the actions of a few and condemning an entire group. I don't understand that.
Speaker 7: They subscribe to the Black Lives Matter movement. They say we are the Black Lives Matter movement. For I am like Bacon f the police.
Speaker 4: There are so few people. These are a few people. This is not the Black Lives Matter. That is not the platform.
Speaker 7: Though I saw it in my city of Dallas. I saw what a Black Lives Matter protest look like and I saw five fallen officers because of it.
Speaker 4: That's not fair, that's true.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: It is start because the.
Speaker 7: Shooter said point blank, shooter said he's doing this because of Black Lives Matter.
Speaker 4: Yes, and there are many things you can say. I mean, if you go outside, you can say anything about doing something, because if you cannot deny that the man had mental issues as well and he was in a tough place. Just because you say the thing doesn't mean it's what it stands for, right, because you're the same person. You're the same person who argued on your show that just because Donald Trump has support us from the KKK doesn't mean he's in the KKK. So it goes those against me.
Speaker 6: You can't say he did it because of no but he the shooter said I but Black.
Speaker 4: Lives Matter has never said go out and shoot people. I'm saying, you're saying this to your audience, and I honestly do not understand where you're getting that from. Just because a person. What if somebody says, I felt emboldened by Tommy Laryn and so I went out and I shot black people? Are you not responsible?
Speaker 7: Is that your tu It's not one or two people if you look at them, and you look at every city, Look at the protests that have gone on in Baltimore, in Ferguson, in New York City, the protests that have now turned to anti Trump protests, because are not a few people. This is mass crowds of people. They're doing in this the name of Michael Brown. They're doing this the name of Freddie Gray. They're doing it as the front of Black Lives Matter, and the mainstream media.
Speaker 6: Is emboldening these people.
Speaker 4: Okay, so then let's use that same logic that you're using then and then go police are the police racist? Because police in many cities. You look at Baltimore, you look at what happened in New York, you look at what happened in the case of Walter Scott. You tell me, are police racist because they've been shown to harass black people unfairly, They've been shown to shoot black people when they're unarmed. Does that mean the police are racist them? Because that's the same logic you're using.
Speaker 7: It's really not, though, Trevor, because the meanstream media is not inbolding them as a group.
Speaker 6: It's not.
Speaker 7: And did you know that a black man is eighteen point five times more likely to shoot a police officer than a police.
Speaker 6: Officer is to shoot a black man. Those are statistic no one wants to talk about.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, So let me ask you this. Then, if you say, as you said when you walked out, I'm not as mean as people think I am. I'm not the person that people think I am. What do you wish people would understand about you that are in another bubble? You wis people would understand about you on the other side, I wish that we.
Speaker 7: Could disagree with each other without thinking that we are bad people or ill intentioned folks. So because I criticize a black person, or I criticize the Black Lives Matter movement, that doesn't mean that I am anti black. It does not mean that I don't like black people or that I'm a racist. It means I'm criticizing a movement. I criticize color Kaepernick, that doesn't mean that I don't believe in his First Amendment rights.
Speaker 6: It means that I believe in my First.
Speaker 7: Amendment rights to criticize him, So it doesn't make me a bad person. It doesn't make me a racist to point out I mean, I've never used racial slurs to address people.
Speaker 6: I've never looked down on someone because of their skin color.
Speaker 7: To me, true diversity is diversity of thought, not diversity of color.
Speaker 6: I don't see color. I go after Hillary Clinton, and she is why as they come't.
Speaker 4: You don't see color? So what do you do at a traffic lights? I don't believe in that at all. When people say that there's nothing wrong with seeing color, it's how you treat color that's more important.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 4: Here's my thing. Like, all these points that you make are great, and I do believe that you believe them. And I don't believe anyone is actively trying their few people are trying to be bad from their point of view. But when I look at what you're saying you say, you're not pushing a racist narrative. You're not, you're criticizing. Do you really believe you're criticizing and you're not malintentioned when you say things like black lives matters the u KKK, because you realize black lives matter. Com Me the u KKK. The KKK is still around, They have not vacated their premises. And most importantly, to say black lives matters the UKK is like to really really minimize what the KKK did and what they stand for. That is not the same thing. You surely you understand the incendiary like feeling of your comments.
Speaker 7: You know that, surely it's controversial. But I think there are some things that need to be said. When the Black Lives Matter movement is going out with signs saying frime like bacon f the police when they're going out seeing if you see a white person target them, that is happening, Trevor.
Speaker 6: That happened in Milwaukee not too long ago.
Speaker 7: That is happening. So when that now becomes the narrative and you're starting to loot, burn and riot, what did the KKK?
Speaker 4: That is not Look, we'll go around in circles did you say, what did the KKK do?
Speaker 1: No, what do they do?
Speaker 7: When you're saying, listen, Trevor, Trevor, when you're saying when there are people in the streets saying, if you see a white person beat their ass, does that not sound reminiscent of the KKK or their motives?
Speaker 1: To you?
Speaker 4: Is that the narrative of Black Lives Matter or the people who are saying that within a crowd of other human beings. There is a distinction between a movement and the people. That is something that we keep coming back to. But let's go back to what you were saying on Colin Kaepernick and the national anthem. This is this is something I don't understand. And when I watch your videos, I go I truly do not understand. You say, Colin Kaepernick is exercising his First Amendment rights, and you are exercising your First Amendment rights in criticizing him. So what you're saying is you have the right to say anything you want, so shut up.
Speaker 6: No, not at all. I'm saying I don't agree with what he did. I think that he went about the wrong way. I don't think he is the right way.
Speaker 4: When people say that I'm always fascinated what is the right way. So here's a black man in America who says, I don't know how to get a message across. If I march in the streets, people say I'm a thug. If I go out and I protest, people say that it's a riot. If I bend down on one knee, then it's not. What is the right way? That is something I've always wanted to know. What is the right way for a black person. That's a change of America taking it.
Speaker 7: Out Trevor taking it out on our flag and our national anthem. To me, but how why would you take out your perceived oppression of black people out on the national anthem in our flag? A country that you live in, a country that you benefit from, a country that people of all races have died for, have died to protect, have died for the vote, died to be enfranchised by this nation. How do you then go and disrespect the flag and the anthem of that country?
Speaker 6: Well, why is that the outlet?
Speaker 4: Well, maybe you're a person who's lived and read through history, and you realize that a lot of those people of every color who died for this country, some of them didn't have the rights that their fellow servicemen had when they came back to the country off the fighting. Maybe you're one of those people who realizes that the penal system in America was designed to oppress black people. It was designed to enslave people. It is a relic of slavery. Maybe you're one of those people. So what I don't understand is a guy is kneeling in the corner. I don't understand why that offends you so much. It's not even like he's trying to sing over you. If he was doing that, he's like, oh say oh, say ken and me see No, he's singing. He's not doing anything that affects you. I don't understand why it gets to you. I genuinely don't. He's in a corner, kneeling by himself. Why does that offend you so much?
Speaker 7: For me, I know what that flag means to me. I know what that flag means to those that are fighting for our country right now. It's bigger than a piece of cloth. It's a symbol of patriotism. Our national anthem has meant a lot to a lot of people. It's got a lot of people through very hard times in this country. It's got it scarred, it's got its wounds, it's got its history. But I still believe it's the greatest nation on the face of the earth. And I believe if you live in this country, you can want to better it, but to disrespect our flag and our anthem in that way and not be your outlet to get out whatever aggression you have, whether it be passive or active aggression.
Speaker 6: I disagree with it. And so he has every right to do it. That's his first moment, right, and I agree with his first meant right to do it. I don't agree with what he did.
Speaker 7: So because I don't agree with what he did, then now I should shut up because I'm white, So I should shut up. I shouldn't be able to talk about black issues because I'm white.
Speaker 4: No one brought no one brought up white at all. I never said that I don't see color. I don't think that that's what the argument is. What I'm saying is I asked you one question, and that is how should a black person bring up their grievances? That's all asks How If that's not the right way, If marching isn't the right way, what is the right way.
Speaker 6: When you talk.
Speaker 7: What he said was he is protesting the anthem in the flag because of the oppression of black people in this country.
Speaker 6: I would like him to further explain what.
Speaker 7: He's talking about when he's discussing the black oppression in this country.
Speaker 6: Also, is it against police? Is it against the government.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure what oppression he's discussing.
Speaker 6: I would love to have him come on my show and discuss it with me. To me, when you make the.
Speaker 7: Flag and you make the anthem the outlet for your anger or the outlet through which you're going to pro test your country that you live and you reside in that you take nineteen million dollars a year from I don't think that that is the correct outlet for your anger.
Speaker 6: So what is he protesting?
Speaker 4: So he's again, you haven't answered my question of how. How you want to tell me? I'm just asking how, and I'm asking you honestly. I'm not saying in a challenging way. I'm saying to you, I don't know the answer apart from these methods. So I would like to know if you've ever thought of a how, because you're the first person I've met who said this. I've seen this message online. I'm not labeling you as the bad person. I just want to know if you've ever thought of the how. That's what I want to know for me.
Speaker 7: I think there are a lot of folks in this kinder iving a woman. I didn't have rights after black people until women got the right to vote. But because I feel like I'm a woman and I marginalized in some way, I don't protest my country. I don't see what he's protesting. I would like to know exactly what he is protesting.
Speaker 6: It's a very so how do you know?
Speaker 4: How do you protest them? That's right.
Speaker 6: I don't protest because I'm not a victim.
Speaker 4: I guess we can. We can go back and forth on a lot of these issues. It's a It's an interesting place to be in because honestly, you've won. You know, like your side has won as you say, you know, the liberal snowflakes are melting in the streets as they protest, and now I would like to know from your side, genuinely, as someone who's won, do you believe that Donald Trump will follow through on his promises.
Speaker 6: I will be a vocal opponent if he doesn't.
Speaker 7: I am not somebody that gets on the cheerleading bandwagon.
Speaker 6: If he does something I disagree with, I will discuss it.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 6: Before I was a Trump supporter, I was critical of Trump. I was a Marco Rubio girl for a long time.
Speaker 7: And then I started to see that was gonna be our nominee. And I said, it's him or Hillary. A lot of Americans were in that position.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And then I got closer to the campaign and I started seeing some of the things he was saying, and I started seeing the effect he was having on people, and the things that he was saying that was touching people and making them pop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 7: He really was.
Speaker 1: Hillary could use some.
Speaker 6: Of that every now and then. Right, Bill's a little busy. Bill's a little busy.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you being on the show. Thank you so much for being human.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is the senior Senator from South Carolina with whom I served in the United States Senate. Please welcome Senator Lindsey Graham. Well, well, thanks for comming, man.
Speaker 4: This is what happens, right.
Speaker 5: I'm hopeful we'll find some common ground, hope. And uh, well, we were friends, were Well, it's it's there's been a strain on it. We are friends, but there's been some strain in from your politics. Yeah, well you know, uh, let's find some common ground. For example, Ukraine, we both believe that this is the vital interest.
Speaker 9: Yeah Putin, that's coming ground, right, they should be in jail.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 9: Maybe not so much on Trump, but definitely I'm putin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah it Putin's slightly more serious. But there's some serious charges against from Okay. But nevertheless, there are some Republicans and we mentioned Ron de Santis, the governor who doesn't agree with you, and.
Speaker 9: N well, you know, it's free country. But let me just say this, if this is not in our vital interest, what would be to have a guy invade another country rewrite the map of Europe? But force of arms, this spring back any memories, sign an agreement, tears it up, and he's gotten an arrest warrant from the ICC, which is done a great job, and they wan't to arrest him because he's taken Ukrainian children, kidnap them for their families and send them to Russia. Other than that, this doesn't matter to us. I don't want to live in a world where that crap goes on without punishment.
Speaker 5: You seem a little critical of Biden for the planes not being there yet the tank's not getting there earlier, or our tank's not there, the German tanks are.
Speaker 9: Getting anybody's tank, just send a tank.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I want to quote some stuff that Trump said. This is what he told a guy named Seannity.
Speaker 4: I have no idea who he is.
Speaker 5: This is what Donald Trump said. I could have negotiated. At worst, I could have made a deal to take over something. You know, there are certain areas that are Russian speaking areas, frankly, but you could have worked a deal. This is what he's saying. This that's what your guy that you want to be president said after the war has started. I think that's where my guy, who I want to get re elected, had organized the coalition and started and had stood up and said, no, we're not going to allow this to happen.
Speaker 9: So I think you twenty four election is coming, but I think we got a chance sharing the near term, really with the proper military support, continued economic assistance to the Ukraine for the Ukrainians to decimate the Russian army in Ukraine. They just need the weapons to do it, and wouldn't that be a great outcome to a very tragic event.
Speaker 1: It would be lose and.
Speaker 5: You talk to some of your other Republican friends on the other side. Marjorie Taylor Green, I know you're very.
Speaker 9: Close, and yeah, tons of time. But there is a kind of the space later laser taken down, but we'll see how that works. Yeah, that was a Jewish space laser, but she said it was well, we thought it had been funny to have a laser where ya'ma going it just flat around. Apparently nobody else did it.
Speaker 5: So she has seen it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what I think what we should do is take a quick break, okay, and pay the bills.
Speaker 5: And we'll be right back with the Senator Lindsey Graham right after an important message from my pillow guy.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: We're here with Senator Lindsey Graham. You know, Lindsay, you asked me during the break what I'm doing, And part of what I've been doing is the only former US senator currently on tour tour, and when the audience has asked me, they say, who's the funniest US center while you're there? And I always say Lindsey Graham, and they always hate it my crowd, and then I tell them this when you were running for president and sixteen, well remember that, yeah, I remember You're like two at one point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was I peaked.
Speaker 5: So one day I go, I go in the center bathroom and I turned to you and I say, Lindsey, if I were a Republican, i'd vote for you for president.
Speaker 9: And you said, that's my problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about Uh.
Speaker 5: You said this week that these charges or this charges in New York might actually help Trump.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 9: I think, well, the Republicans who will help Trump? Because the sires Fance was the previous prosecutor. He looked at this and said no thank you. And the just attorney looked at it and said no thank you. And this guy comes along, Avon Bragg, and he's now going to prosecute Trump taking a mismeanor to a felony by merging two statutes that have never been used before. It's in New York, and most people on our side, it's a never ending effort to take a reckon ball to Trump. So I think it'll help him.
Speaker 5: The number one tradition that's meaningful in this country is the peaceful transition of power. Right now, then, can you want a guy who allowed us to go through this violent insurrection right.
Speaker 9: Really to be president again?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, let me just say this.
Speaker 9: The other side of the story is that when President Trump was president, on the things that I care the most about, national security, I thought he did a damn good job. I look at the policies of Trump, and I like the policies of Trump. And at the end of the day, he's got to prove to people, not me, that he's able to lead us again, and that will be a challenge for him, and that'll be a challenge for Biden to say, give me four more years after the last four we'll see what happens.
Speaker 5: Well, I think Biden wins that. But we don't have to say, yeah, how.
Speaker 1: Much twenty bucks.
Speaker 9: But give back to the point, you've got to come to grips the idea. A lot of Americans believe that Trump was a good president, but they don't like what he did or what he said. And this is going to be a real contest in twenty twenty four. It will be a real contest, my friend.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the Florida governor is going to make it a real contest.
Speaker 9: But no, we got a deep inch on our side.
Speaker 1: We have a deep inch prom I made him speechless. This is a high lot of.
Speaker 5: He's done it.
Speaker 1: He's done it.
Speaker 5: I just think this guy is I mean, okay, I'll say it. I just think he's a pathological liar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 5: I don't mean to be harsh because I know he's your friend. Well and I'm malignant narcissist. And he chose some good people to be in his administration at first, but it seemed like as those guys went, those men and women went, he brought in worse and worse people. And I just I don't know how the American people are going to reelect this way. I understand the MAGA voters are still.
Speaker 9: Just about mega voters, because don't take this wrongly. He can survive your criticism. He's going to be al Franken is down on Trump.
Speaker 4: Is not the end of Trump.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 9: I know you think Trump's horrible for the country, and a lot of people believe that he can fix the problems that we're suffering under now. But here's the good news. We'll have an election and they will decide.
Speaker 4: Said, that's the way it's supposed to work.
Speaker 2: My guest tonight a lawyer, a pundon, an author. Her first book was High Crimes and Misdemeanors. Her latest is called Slander Liberal Lies about the American Right. Please welcome and called her and thanks for govin.
Speaker 8: I I read the book that makes you so much better than most people interviewing?
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I tell you something.
Speaker 2: I also don't really know how to read, so it was very but I wanted to read you something because this is I thought this was mind boggling. This is in the first it's basically a book concerning the conservative movement versus the liberal movement.
Speaker 1: It says, this is on just very beginning, Liberals hate America.
Speaker 2: They hate flag waivers, they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam Post nine to eleven. Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. I've got to tell you, we've got to find these people, these.
Speaker 1: Liberals, and get them the hell out of here. They sound like terrible, terrible people.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's a different, different stage from terrorism.
Speaker 1: The liberals. Yes, are you? Are you that man? Who are they?
Speaker 2: Because I read those book, and there's some interesting points in there, especially.
Speaker 1: About the media. Did you feel are they like Canadians? Are they? Do they look like us? No? They do.
Speaker 8: Look we're living amongst them.
Speaker 6: You're in New York, La.
Speaker 8: No, it's many breakdown in the last election from the red states and the Blue states. And I noticed that it's you know where all the rich Hollywood liberals Park Avenue matrons are.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: No, no, wait a second.
Speaker 2: So are you saying so everyone who votes a Democratic then is is liberal?
Speaker 8: Well not entirely, but certainly. I mean there are a few little old ladies who still think it's FDR, but you know, most of the Democratic Party, But you're talking about the leaders of that and the people paying attention.
Speaker 1: The Democratic Party has leaders. I that should be in the book. I'd love a list to that. I haven't. I don't notice about.
Speaker 2: You know what, because it strikes me as an old the liberal conservative battle almost seems like an older paradigm, you know what I mean, Like like you and Carville are like the Japanese soldiers in nineteen fifty three that they'd find on islands that are like we're still fighting right, Like it almost feels like a battle that is, you know, Crispin Quake.
Speaker 1: It was decided years ago.
Speaker 8: Right, and it's not still No, that's what I think. But they're still around, and they're still, for example, griping about this war. I mean, it really is stunning.
Speaker 1: Rangel griving about which war?
Speaker 8: The war on terrorism? We're in it right now, right, it really is stunning. You do a Lexis nexis surgeon, look up flagwaving. Liberals use that as an epithet. They've dropped it. Every waving flagwaving flag waivers. That's you know, it's like the yahoos jungos.
Speaker 1: I read the papers. I read what it called. They're the sports papers papers. I have not seen a great wave of descent from this war.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I would say, and the Persian Gulf War was a very popular war as well. I'd say this is the most popular military battle.
Speaker 1: That I've ever experienced. I mean, very few dissenting voices.
Speaker 8: No, that's true though, that's because Americans are paying attention. We were grievously attacked, and consequently liberals do have to hide their nay saying too much. But I mean, consider it. They've complained about military tribunals. They've complained about the detention of suspects of GUANTANMO. They've complained about the monitoring of terrorists phone conversations. They've complained about Ashcroft rounding the terrorists. I mean, every aspect of this. Whenever they're losing on substance, they claim it's just a procedural objection. That's our only objection.
Speaker 2: Now they I can't help but think that this is a tiny group of people like Keebler Elves for instance. You know, I mean in terms of the more knee jerk reactionary version of it.
Speaker 1: I sort of like in Carville, and I put him in that category.
Speaker 8: I fairly discuss him in my book because I think he is like the Keebler Elves. That really is not the concern.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's a larger you have a much larger concers.
Speaker 8: And basically all of the Democratic Party is and all the people can vote Democratic. No, I wouldn't really throw the voters in. I mean, I'm not talking about right, but I mean it certainly is true that these leaders of the Democratic Party layy bird dash l you know, they just have these sort of vague, non specific ripes about how Bush is handling the war.
Speaker 4: Well, one's it going to be over?
Speaker 1: When's it going to be over? There?
Speaker 8: Like little kids on a car trip, But I don't know we're moving in the right direction. I'll tell you when we get there.
Speaker 1: To be fair, it is I've been on car trips and if you do have to go, you have to go. I mean it is to be fair.
Speaker 2: No, I think to be fair, there are some legitimate points of dissent to be made. I think it's probably you know, they may be slightly nonspecific out of the sort of fear of not wanting to criticize a wartime president. In many respects, the lack of specificity may actually be deference rather than a wishy washy non.
Speaker 8: I don't think so. I think it's because they know the American I think it's because they know the American people would boil them in oil.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 8: I mean they're looking at voters, they're not looking at being nice to Bush.
Speaker 2: Now in your sense, though, so would you consider the Republican Party, then they're all conservatives and the Democrats.
Speaker 8: There are a lot of bad Republicans. There are no good Democrats. Well except this audience.
Speaker 1: No, it's interesting. I honestly feel like I have a different view.
Speaker 2: My view is that the liberal conservative battle is doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 1: It's it's sort of a dinosaur.
Speaker 2: The real battle is actually extremism versus moderates, and that liberal versus conservative is an old you know, moyni hand Goldwater fight that nobody and I say this with all due respect gives you about anymore. And the real battle is actually extremism versus well, you can call it.
Speaker 8: Something different, but I do think but I think that actually, I do think it's extremist to be complaining about the war, complaining about how long it's taken, complaining about the detention of suspects. I mean, I happen to think America has been grievously attacked and we should be responding with absolute, overwhelming force and instell. We have all this nay saying. So you can call it liberal or you can call it extremist.
Speaker 1: And anything is not about nay saying. So toe the line. Kids, what happened? Wait a minute, you convinced me? How did you do it?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's you know. Here's the thing. I feel like, if we were both drunk, we probably end up agreeing.
Speaker 8: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show we.
Speaker 4: Rights at eleven tenth Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount Podcasts