Speaker 1: Hay yourballers. If you haven't joined Stitcher Premium yet, now is the perfect time. It gets you completely add free episodes of hundreds of shows like Comedy Bang Bang WTF with Mark Maren and Bitch Sesh a Real Housewives Breakdown. You also get twenty one thousand hours of exclusive content new exclusive originals like Freedom with hosts Scott Auckerman, Laura Lapkiz, and Paul F. Tompkins. They're launching every week for Premium members. If you love podcasts, you are missing out. Plus most importantly, when you listen to add free episodes on Stitcher Premium, your favorite podcasters get paid. Help support your favorite shows. Enjoin Stitcher Premium today. You can get a free month of listening by going to Stitcherpremium dot com. Use the promo code verbal Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: Come that for me. I'm a man, I've heard so many players. I want to be happy. You want to be happy? For day Ado steak is that woo whoom and them and tie.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the solid Verbal. Boys and girls, my name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always from over there in New York City. My good friend Dan Rubinstein, Sir how are you?
Speaker 2: Life is grand, Tye, life is wonderful. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I am doing well. What are we doing tonight? Why do we both have this like shot of life in us tonight?
Speaker 2: Oh, narcotics. I have agreed sure to heavily invest in enthusiasm. No, it is the beginning of our season preview series. We are starting earlier because we are doing more of them. We assume because people are listening to a college football show. To maximize the amount of college football would be a wise thing. So we are. We're quite excited. We are going to do divisional previews, but we're gonna hop around so tonight. As you know, because you've downloaded the episode and you've seen the title and you're an enthusiastic listener and verbaler who has hopefully, if interested in has the discretionary income, purchased a shirt to help support the show. We are doing the ac C Atlantic Atlantic.
Speaker 1: They listen, pause for a second. Can we invent some sort of mnemonic device? Yeah, to help us keep the two divisions of the ACC Street.
Speaker 2: I would say just ACC Fatlantic because they're fat with talent with Clemson and Florida State Fatlantic. The Fatlantic. They're they're obese with blue chips, Fatlantic, Fatlantic. Don't. That's as good as I can do off the cuff tie. This is not my thing, but this is the good news. We are not restricting ourselves to just the ACC Fatlantic. We are also doing the American West, which coincidentally features no teams.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, now it's in the American West.
Speaker 1: So we've got the AAC West ACC Fatlantic, Yeah, and then the AAC West.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: We all starts of confusion going on here this evening.
Speaker 2: I don't have a device for that other than Ed Oliver is here for precisely four more months, and we should celebrate that division because he is in it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you for stopping on by. We're gonna try throughout the course of this show. At least I am to try and come up with a better nomonic device than Fatlantic. Although that I that is not bad. Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I would eat in look Syracuse. You can eat well, tallahassee no comment. Louisville, you can certainly eat well. Check out ed Lee Boston College. You can eat super well in the North end of Boston. Uh, wake Forest, Yeah, of course you can Winston Salem. You can eat well Raleigh Jody with and I going there later this week for work, and I've already looked up places she can eat. Looks great. I don't Clemson eatings specifically, but you're close enough you want to go to Spartanburg or Dan.
Speaker 1: We're talking about We're talking about football here, We're not talking about food.
Speaker 2: Come on, I get wound up. I'm sorry, get yourself together here. It's you see what I did there as I just went through the Fatlantic so everybody can keep which teams are in which which division straight.
Speaker 1: The more we use it, the more it's actually going to work. You know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh absolutely, it's going to work.
Speaker 1: Well. Welcome back to the show. We are a football show where the Solidverbal. You can find us out on Twitter at solid Verbal, also out on Facebook at facebook dot com slash solid Verbal, as well as an Instagram account of the same name. You can also email in at soliverbal at gmail dot com, or find our website our current dinosaur of a website which is shortly going to be replaced at solidverbal dot com. Before we do dive into the previews, though, we do need to talk about our big announcement, our store, which yes, we released last week. Dan, how can the find people get there and what can they fine once they arrive?
Speaker 2: I believe if you go to and we partnered with our pals at Cotton Bureau, if you go to Solid Verbal dot com slash store S T O R, that'll get you there. That'll get you so easy to remember Solid Verbal dot com slash Store, We'll get you to the Solid Verbal story. We released three new comfortable hopefully well proportioned for all bodies. There's men's cuts, women's cuts. I don't believe we have verbaby cuts, not yet, not yet.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: So we've got comfortable shirts because surely it's warm and disgusting where you are this summer. And we also have a hat to help protect your beautiful face. Three new designs, one of which is both on a shirt and a hat, sort of a scripty design. When we were going through it, there was like a Sonics vibe to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, a little bit of a Sonics vibe.
Speaker 2: We felt it save our sonics. And there's so there's a mint Verbaler shirt, Mint colored Verbaler shirt. There's a letdown look Ahead sandwich shirt that looks like an old deli you'd find in a college town.
Speaker 1: That is our That is our top seller right now as of this moment.
Speaker 2: So yeah, soliverba dot com slash store, it'll take you to Cotton Bureau and you can figure out what looks best on your person and grab one, because it's only about another week's worth of time that they're going to be available.
Speaker 1: Once they hit that time limit, they'll be officially off the market for some period of time, yep. And then we're gonna roll some new ones out there. Yes, I'm keep rolling some new stuff out there. We're very excited about the coming days and weeks at least on the shirt store front. And finally, before we go any further, we do need to mention that we believe we've secured a venue for the live show.
Speaker 2: We do believe we are. We have agreed. The big hold up with tickets is not really anyone's fault. It's more we're not controlled. The venue is controlling the ticketing, that's right, So it's not necessarily our speed. We would have liked to have started selling, liked to have started selling these a couple of weeks ago, but you know, we really want the experience to be great, so we're upping the venue type. That's right. We've been in the past, so we're grown up.
Speaker 1: So we're classing it up a little bit here for a very regal occasion. As we've said time and time again, should we dress up, it's going to be real growth. But we can change there. We could think about it, we could talk more about this. Yes, maybe we can use one of the social media channels to pull the general public. But the Fantasy Things Draft, the Live Fantasy Things Draft, we've got all sorts of fun tricks in the queue for that.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: August the eleventh, in Chicago, a currently unnamed venue but soon to be revealed, we will be selling tickets. Please stay tuned first and foremost to our newsletter. We will publish the link there first.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is August eleventh, which is Saturday, so you know, some people coming from outside of Chicago might be easier to get to on a Saturday rather than a Thursday or Friday night, and tentatively seven to nine pm. Just as for timing, in the back of your head, if you plan on getting a ticket and coming, and we anticipate selling out pretty quickly, the good news is after the show, we plan on going to and announcing, you know, on this show online whatever, We're going to go to a bar and hang out even further. Because if there's one thing we believe in, it's we really like hanging with people who listen to the show totally. So that will be you know, we will publicize wherever we're we figure out where we're going to go. So that's the plan Saturday, August eleventh, Chicago, seven to nine pm with a an after bar situation because tynite we get hungry. Yeah, man, we get hungry talking.
Speaker 1: From Yeah we did. We did last time, very very famished after our live show in Atlanta, Okaya. With all that out of the way, let's talk about the a CC Fat Atlantic, Daniel Fatlantic. We're also trying something new. We're not just previewing divisions this time around. We also looked at this very realistically. Okay, you and I were both married, we're both in our in our thirties. I suspect a lot of other folks listening around the country and world are in a very similar position. The lead Busy lives right. The question is, if you're a big ten fan, why the hell should you care about the ACC FA Atlantic? Why should Why should you care?
Speaker 2: Right, it's a good question.
Speaker 1: We kick that around World Cup style, you know, we raced to the corner. We kind of kicked it around and before kicking it out of bounds to waste a little more time, we said, yeah, we kind of like that theme. Dan, Why should you care? Is what we're going for here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, odds are if you're listening to this show, you are not an ACC Atlantic fan because there's so much beyond the ACC Atlantic. But we are here to let you know that college football is an excellent TV show and it just has a ton of characters that are worth diving into their backstory. So that's why we are trying to figure out essentially the care factor for the ACC Atlantic and for individual teams and storylines. And we will do the same for the American the American Athletic Conference, just the American West tig.
Speaker 1: That's right on that note, Let's talk about your A C C Atlantic and let's start at the very top with the Clemson Tigers. Dan, they went eleven to one last year in the regular season, they won the ACC, they qualified for the playoff. Couldn't move the ball against Alabama in the first round of the College Football Playoff. They lost twenty four to six if memory serves, and their season finished up at twelve and two. All things being equal, that's pretty damn good year, is it not.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's excellence. It's another year of Clemson excellence. And on top of everything, it is worth noting that they're attrition aside from quarterback, you know, losing Hunter Johnson Northwestern, but the attrition within the program, coaches, support staff has been so minimal and it has to be considered a huge factor in not just attracting talent, but as we've seen with this defensive line, keeping talent comfortable.
Speaker 1: They're like the Western Conference of the NBA. But yeah, all on one team.
Speaker 2: Basically, what's worth caring about with Clemson is on the surface, it's pretty obvious they're stacked everywhere. It's defensive line porn. You know, we have Trevor Lawrence coming in as a true freshman and everybody raving about his ceiling. I think justifiably so inasmuch as we can determine in an off season without actual live football, but clearly there is there is some nugget of potential that is pretty tantalizing with him and Kelly Bryant certainly had a pretty terrific year for a first year quarterback, gets beat up, struggles mightily against Alabama, which leads to this sort of window for Trevor Lawrence, the incoming or he's already there, the five star true freshman quarterback. They have that fun early road test, going to Kyle Field to play texts A and M. And if that all doesn't excite you, you always will have Florida State Clemson to look forward to. And this will be This Florida State Clemson game will be the first and it's in Tallahassee. It's a week after NC State measuring stick for Willy Taggart. It's not a measuring stick anymore at this point with what Conson has accomplished for the Tigers, but for Florida State, this is the first big Willy Taggart Power five moment. Consider the injuries he had last year at Oregon and this is not his team. And we'll get to Florida State momentarily, but there's a ton to care about and I will turn it over to you Ty. With this schedule, which is tricky. At A and M, they go to Georgia Tech to Florida State. They have an NC State team with a really good quarterback. Do you think if the quarterback is merely pretty good, which I think is a pretty high floor for Clemson, is that good enough to get to the playoff without great quarterback play.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, this is a better team than last year. And that's saying something. We just went through the full gamut of how they went twelve and two. They've got most of their team back, especially on defense, and you mentioned Kelly Bryant. He got them there last year. But yet I went I posted a picture last night on the Instagram account. I picked up Phil Steele's magazine, right, you remember Phil Steele, the Real Steele Dossier of college football. He's got true freshman Trevor Lawrence as his projected starter. I am fascinated because it's not just the Phil Steele magazine where I've seen this. I've seen this in a bunch of places, just outwardly projecting Trevor Lawrence probably going to be starting quarterback at some point before the end of the season. It's almost as if nobody wants Kelly Bryant to be the starting quarterback, and yet he had a pretty good year. He did stumble a bit down the stretch, but again, a pretty good season got Clemson to the College Football Playoff. He clearly did something right, yet no one seems to want to give him the nod here and that interests me. That makes me very interesting. I care a little bit more about Clemson because there's a guy who got him to incredible heights last year and yet no one's giving him benefit of the doubts. So better team than last year. That's one reason to care. Second reason to care is the whole Kelly Bryant thing, which I find terribly fascinating. And then the third for me is the defensive line porn which you reference earlier. We'll play that again. Cleveland Farrell, who we mentioned in an earlier podcast episode, and Austin Bryant, both of them manning their respective side of the defensive line, and then Dexter Lawrence and Christian will Bans back in the middle to sort of firm up the CD underbelly of what is clearly the best defensive line in the country. Yeah, there's a lot of reason they're to be very excited about Clemson. And oh, by the way, Dan, the schedule does not scare me at all. It just it. This is why my answer maybe was off hand to your question of, well, if they get respectable quarterback plays, it enough to get them back to where they were. The early game against A and M will probably tell us more about A and M than Clemson. I'm just not worried about that game at all. The two games that I think you watch. You mentioned the Florida State one. I think you're right, it probably says more about Florida State than it does Clemson. But it is on the road. It is Halloween weekend in Tallahassee. The road team in that series is just three and thirteen since two thousand and two, for whatever that's worth. The other one is at Boston College on November tenth. Clemson's slipped walked, slipped walked the last time they went to Chestnut Hill, and I think it's an interesting matchup because Boston College is maybe the best offensive line in the conference, Clemson the defensive line in the conference. But otherwise it sets up perfectly for Clemson again in twenty eighteen. They've got so much working for them, and they are, quite frankly, a lot of reasons to care.
Speaker 2: So interestingly, I think Trevor Lawrence is in a similar situation, maybe as JT. Daniels like. He may not start right away, but by I don't know, wake in early October could be starting and playing different series. If he is starting at texts A and M, that becomes trickier to me. That is still a tough place to play. Nobody really knows what this text A and M defense is going to look like. Immediately with Mike Elko, the offense is going to look different. So there's a mystery factor with a new true freshman quarterback that is a little bit worrisome. Trip up point going not going too but hosting NC State, and then the thing I would have circled, and this is not we're not unretiring anything, but in terms of trip up, losing at Syracuse, losing two pit the past couple of years, teams Clemson probably shouldn't lose to teams that you know Pitt was fine. Certainly a couple of years ago they were. They were pretty good with James Connor. I would circle going to Chestnut Hill. As you mentioned, that's it's November ten. I don't listen. Clemson's favorite. They should be favored, they should win but in terms of trip up, you have NC State at Florida State Louisville, which could be a shootouty type team. We'll get to them before traveling to Boston. It'll be cold November tenth.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know. We could go to Boston College next.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Boston College.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Boston College next.
Speaker 2: That's the trip up point because they have South Carolina at home a week after Duke and so everything is it's a little even though we like South Carolina, we'll get to that whenever it is that we do the SEC East. That is my pick for a trip up.
Speaker 1: See. I almost feel more confident in that Boston College game as a trip up point than I do Florida State.
Speaker 2: And I know that they're gonna take Florida's say very seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that might defy logic, but again, last time they were in Chestnut Hill, Clemson had some issues. They ended up blowing them out, but had some issues in that game. There is reason to be optimistic about Boston College this year, and it wouldn't be the first time that they took a team like Clemson too the wire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think they were just sort of ahead by twenty one or something and took their foot off the gas in Boston College score. You know it wasn't there was no there was no fear. I don't think from Clemson they're actually to lose that game.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so we got we got reason to be very excited and care about Clemson. We agree, We absolutely agree. I think they're poised for another run, not just the ACC Fatlantic, not just the ACC Conference, but certainly look a top five finish in the polls, probably a playoff Berth if all goes according to the plan. Is a very exciting season for the Tigers that we've got a foot. Just on a personal level, I'm very excited to see t Higgins and what he looks like out at wide receiver, big target. If he gets more targets, let's see what he can do. He averaged over twenty yards per catch last year. Just throwing that out there.
Speaker 2: I do have a good nickname for Hunter renfro Oh, and that nickname is still there. Touchdown, still there.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to Boston College as promised.
Speaker 2: Can you give me a Clemson record regular season record like before, a potential a SEC.
Speaker 1: Championship, they're going undefeated.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have him ten and two.
Speaker 1: They're going undefeated this year.
Speaker 2: Yep, okay, just agree two losses. Wow, yep, I have a trip up and either South Carolina, Texas A and m Florida State.
Speaker 1: Go to Boston College. It went seven to five a year ago. How is it that Boston College has the same team every year? Have we thought about this at all?
Speaker 2: Just a defense populated with eleven Harold landries every year.
Speaker 1: It's like I was thinking about it a little bit, you know, when you buy the new version of Madden and like, oh, maybe it'll be this different this year. Nope, not really. Kind of the same thing every year you turn off the passing cone. Yep, same thing every year. Boston College, to me, could be a five and seven team. They could be a seven and five team. M hm, depending on how things break. That being said, they might be the most interesting team in the ACC all year.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that because they play a pat League team week two? Just have an extra little spice, like seasoning little spice on them. Yeah, they play Holy Cross.
Speaker 1: It is a little bit of pezaz for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, walk me through the variables between five and seven and eight and four.
Speaker 1: Well, so the offense last year was lousy but outside but still better. Yeah, outside AJ Dillon, the offense was lousy but still on the whole better than it was the year prior in twenty sixteen. And so this year they bring back ten starters, including their entire offensive line and AJ Dillon who rushed for sixteen hundred yards and fourteen touchdowns. They really truly should be better than they were a year ago. The X factor, of course, being Anthony Brown a quarterback. If he can stay healthy, if he can be a little bit more productive, it's easier to buy into some of the thinking that Boston College is not only going to be a seven win maybe an eight win team, but also that they could trap a team like Clemson. That makes it easier to buy into. Defensively, they'll be fine because they're always fine on defense, right, Like that's just what they do. They've got a good defense every year, seemingly with one bona fide star this year, you're dood alert is going to be Zach your defensive end.
Speaker 2: So nice to hear that, sound, ty, thank you, You're very welcome.
Speaker 1: He might be the only non Clemson defensive lineman to achieve true accolades, a true spotlight because he is so damn good Zach Allen along the defensive line, defensive end, and I'm also interested. I think the big X factor, the big variable for them is the second half of the schedule because it's downright brutal. They've got a stretch where they've got Miami at home, they go on the road to Virginia Tech, Clemson at home, and then on the road against Florida State. M hmm. There's a lot going on here for Boston College, a lot of reason to be I think somewhat caring about this season. Where do you stand?
Speaker 2: So they could start, they could be ranked by mid October. So it's UMass holy Cross at Wake, at Purdue, Temple, at NC State, and then Louisville. They beat Louisville. Last year. AJ Dillon runs wild. They lose by three, a low scoring game against end State Temple. I'm not super high on Purdue can be run all over with a new defense early on with AJ Dillon. Wake has a new look defense and loses a bunch up front. And not worried about you Mass holy Cross. So starting five and one, six in one, if everything breaks right, in close games is kind of not crazy with a solid defense, a really good running game, and unfortunately a quarterback if you only watched the Florida State game last year, quarterback needs some work. That's the sort of big X factor at this point. And you were right to sort of mention the brutal back half of the season with Miami, Virginia Tech, Cleans, and FSU before getting which should be a nice and soft Syracuse defense late. I actually don't mind Syracuse defensive line. We'll get there. But I think Boston College, if nothing else, why you should care is because they were putrid. Wake Forest was putrid. And as we look at the ACC as a whole right now, and I did some of this with the d analytics stuff and the points per drive differential, whatever the case, the bottom of the ACC is sort of garbage free. If we believe in North Carolina, which we will eventually get to improving to at least below average the bottom of the ACC, and Boston College is squarely in the middle of the ACC. It's a nice situation. It's a competitive conference, ty, That's what I'm trying to tell you right now. And the fact that Boston College is a big reason for making that jump and making it a competitive conference, perhaps the most competitive in the widest middle class of any conference is a cool story that Steve Adazio has incrementally found the dudes to get things like, there's nothing worse than rooting for a team. Trust, I've rooted for a Brady hook defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've done this.
Speaker 2: This is something I've invested in that. And you can be down on a number of factors about Boston College just in terms of talent level and sealing whatever. This is a competitive team and that's a great reason to care that college football can afford us improvement, so that if you are a fan of a team that has disappointed you for a number of years, that there is hope. Tie. And that's that's what's really cool about Boston College. They're solid everywhere, they're not great anywhere specifically, and that'll make for a fun season and they're going to scare the living crap out of Clemson. Tie. I am ian.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're so, okay, let's build on that. Okay, if you're looking for a potential scare in the ACC for Atlantic as we're now calling it, Yes, in November, Boston College is a team you should care about because not only do they have Clemson, as we discuss, but they also have a road game at Florida State. Now, we talked a lot in recent weeks about this game in Tallahassee on November the seventeenth, specifically whether or not it's a it's a trap game right for Florida State.
Speaker 2: Sure, letdown.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I if I really see it, if I really feel it into my core, but I am starting to talk myself into it. I'm starting to talk myself into it just by by sheer nature of it being a let down. Look ahead, Sandwich, you got Dunstan. Let's talk about Oh, Boston College it for sure, they get Florida State a week after the Knowles go to Notre Dame in a week before Florida comes to.
Speaker 2: Talent correct is new coaches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly a rivalry in the state of Florida. Meanwhile, in between Boston College, they're going to be physical, they're going to run with AJ Dillon, They're going to play defense. Sorry, and a sort of talk myself into this a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Florida State is not where they were in terms of the stacked experienced talent where they were four or five years ago. On defense, they're replacing all of their linebackers. Up front, They've got really good pass rushers. I really like their starting defensive tackles. But in terms of what they're rotating in and out, they might be able to be run on a week after Notre Dame and should we should.
Speaker 1: We just move on over to Florida State.
Speaker 2: Here, let's go, let's go to Florida State. Give me your final record prediction, which nobody's gonna hold you to account.
Speaker 1: College six and six.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go seven and five.
Speaker 1: It's somewhere in that five to seven win cone there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they feel like the Ron Swanson of the Fatlantic.
Speaker 1: Just sturdy, very sturdy. Okay, let's go to Let's go to Florida State. Florida State in transition, to say the least, they went six and six a year ago.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: Now they bring on Willie Taggart, remember their dream job scenario. Perhaps I would like to be the first to coin the term the baby Knoles because they've got about three seniors in their entire projected lineup. I think that bodes very well for Willy Taggert year two. But what it means in Willy Taggert year one remains to be seen. Sure, So Daniel, I will ask you, tell me why should we care about Florida State? Give me some reasons.
Speaker 2: Cam Akers is the place for me. Cam Akers ran behind a not that good offensive line last year, and there's no reason to believe. I know, you know they're gonna be healthier, but there's no reasonably it'll be dramatically better other than the fact that, you know, maybe they'll play a little bit faster. So that's sort of that mystery invisible sixth offensive lineman on the field. Tempo, So Temple should Tempo not Temple. I hope Temple doesn't help Florida State. Tempo should help cam Akers as he gets bigger and faster and more experienced. We saw the success Royce Freeman had last year in this Willy Taggart offense. The year before that, Marlon mack At was a force to be reckoned with. So just if there is a single reason, it is that cam Akers can win the Heisman with the talent and if they have any sort of semblance of a passing game. Whoever wins that quarterback job, he will be put in a good position. You know, this is the Willy Taggert dream job. As you said, Ty, anytime you can compare a new coach to Randy Edsel's situation at Maryland, I think you have to do it and absolute mind ourselves with Willy Taggart. And I would add just because this is something we don't see all that often. There have been I think four teams to win a national championship since twenty eleven, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, and Ohio State unless I'm missing somebody, And so a team on that level as Florida State is, with the ability to bring in a ton of talent, should be winning double digit games every year. They are a blue blood in college football. We don't get to see a reboot like we're seeing at Florida State all that often, and that to me is a little bit fascinating. And even if you're a Washington fan, even if you're a San Diego State fan, even if you're a Texas Tech fan, it's kind of interesting to see what Florida State does when they have this full reboot period for the second time in about a decade, which is kind of crazy for a blue blood.
Speaker 1: But here we are I you know, I think I kind of agree with you. I think of when the Yankees decided to blow it up a couple of years ago, two years ago now, it ended up yielding fruit sooner than they thought. In the Yankees case, we're not a baseball show here.
Speaker 2: But I'll take your word for it.
Speaker 1: Could that could that ultimately be the same kind of thing for Florida State this season. Now, Lord knows, they've got plenty of talent. They're loaded still on defense and really all across the field. Here. What will be the limiting factor for Florida State will be the schedule. Will be the schedule. First game of the year against Virginia Tech at home. That's a pretty big game. Big game helps at it's at home. But still they've got a road spot against Syracuse, which we'll talk about Syracuse. There's not a lot to write home about, but the Carrier Dome is a very weird place to play, very true at Miami Week six. Miami should still be pretty solid.
Speaker 2: Then they've got it should be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got this stretch later on in the year, Clemson at nc State in what may end up being a let down look ahead spot. We'll have to talk about them when we get there at Notre Dame Boston College and then Florida. Nine wins in that schedule would be a masterful job for Willie Taggert, would it not.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, with quarterback uncertainty and installing everything new that the defense is switching up pretty dramatically, and outside of Lavonta Taylor, you know, it's a pretty decent quarterback conference and a pretty decent quarterback schedule for Florida State, and having secondary question is not the best. So yes, if he wins nine games with that schedule, especially how it rolls up at the end. And I really do like some of I like the ones a lot pretty much everywhere. I don't love receiver, but you know, Marvin Wilson sliding in there. Brian Burns is a very good defensive end, as is Caneo. So there's a lot to love ceiling wise about Florida State. But growing pains wise, you're right, Going to Miami, going to Louisville.
Speaker 1: It's real tough, real tough.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot of road time, it's a lot of it's a lot of plane, it's a lot of hotel bed. It's it's not my favorite. If I'm a Florida State.
Speaker 1: Fan, the Baby Noles road tour will be something to care about in twenty eighteen very quickly, because we do have to pay some of the bills, and we do have what four other teams in the ACC Fatlantic we need to get to before we talk about the AAC West. What can Florida State fans expect from Willie Taggert? What will look different from what we saw last year and the many years prior under Jimbo Fisher.
Speaker 2: At least one solid year of hard work, I can guarantee you. Actually, no, I shouldn't say that, because I think it was just under a year, but at least eleven months, Okay, a very hard work and dedication to the program. Now, what they can expect, obviously is something they've already seen. He will recruit very well throughout. So that's off the field, he hired pretty well. I know this staff didn't come together as he would have as he would have liked. But on field stuff, they're going to play a lot faster than they played with Jimbo Fisher last year. I think there is going to be it's going to be a lot simpler, and that is something that Florida State and Florida State fans have been clamoring for for the past couple of years. And it's cool to say, like, oh, his offense is so complicated, and oh, Jimbo empowers the quarterback to make all these reads and adjustments. But sometimes just like we have better players run faster than the dudes in the other colored uniforms. So I think there is going to be a lot more speed rotated in and out of the game. There's going to be more simplicity, and he is going to This is not necessarily different, but Willy Taggert has that sort of killer instinct that has served him well both on and off the field, that I think is going to It's going to have Florida State fans responding pretty positively in the medium and long term. This year. It's going to be tricky, but I think they were due, you know, Jimbo Fisher's situation not getting along with everybody being distracted by, you know, just bickering with administrative types at Florida State, that the program was due for a reboot, a reset, and the new energy that Willy Taggart should bring in, I would imagine we'll pay dividends. Even with that end of the schedule, it should be a fun Florida State team at bare minimum compared to where they've been these past couple of years.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of paying off Dan, let's talk about our friends over at light Stream.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Want to know an easy way to save some money? Want to lower the interest rate on your credit card debt with a credit card consolidation loan? Why not do it with our good friends over at light Stream. We've enjoyed working with light Stream. They reward consumers who have good credit with a great interest rate and no fees. You get a credit card consolidation loan from just five point eight nine percent APR with auto pay loans ranging from five thousand to one hundred thousand dollars. You can choose your funding date as soon as today and now get this, our listeners get an additional interest rate discount on top of light Streams already low rates. The only way to get it, though, is to go to lightstream dot com slash solid that's l I g h T S t r E A M dot com slash Solid sl i D. It of course, is subject to credit approval. The rate includes a zero point five percent autopay discount terms and conditions and all that jazz certainly apply and are subject to change without notice. But you can visit Lightstream dot com today for more information. Check them out if you are in the market. Help yourself sleep easy and oh, if you want to sleep easy, another way to do that, Dan, Oh, why don't you check out our good friends over at Casper.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was actually I was thinking pretty thoroughly about Casper about fourteen hours ago.
Speaker 1: Continue though, Casper is a sleep brand that continues to revolutionize its line of products and create an exceptionally comfortable sleep experience one night at a time. Dan and I both have Casper mattresses. One thing we have not discussed is how Jody with an Eye has acclimated to the Casper mattress.
Speaker 2: Jody with an Eye is on the Casper mattress at random times throughout weekend day, and can't. I may like the Casper mattress more than she likes me. I concur that I'm a similar position here. Yeah, with the solid wife. They have three mattress models now available. The Original Casper, the Wave, and the Essential Casper mattresses are perfectly designed to soothe and cradle your natural geometry, not to mention a breathable design to help you sleep cool. They regulate your body temperature all throughout the night, and best of all, it is delivered right to your door in a small.
Speaker 1: How did they do that sized box, with free shipping and returns in the United States and Canada. The best part of all is that you can be sure your purchase of a Casper mattress is right for you because they offer a one hundred night risk free sleep on it trial. You spend one third of your life sleeping, you might as well be comfortable doing it. So we've talked about Casper ad nauseum on this show. We both enjoy the sleep experience. We enjoyed the unboxing experience, perhaps a little bit too much. But we've talked about our personal stories with Casper time and time again. We would urge you all to follow suit and give it a shot as well. And right now you can get fifty dollars towards a select mattress by visiting Casper dot com slash verbal and use the code verbal at checkout. That's Casper dot com slash verbal. Your offer code is verbal. They're going to throw in fifty bones towards your purchase of a mattress. Dan, Terms and conditions do apply.
Speaker 2: This is a totally true story. I couldn't fall asleep last night. I was wondering, I'm usually asleep way earlier than this. Why am I not asleep? And then I realized I had six giant mot frozen coffee MOCHIESE. Yeah. And so I was just sitting there awake, and I listen to a podcast and then I was just laying there. And you're supposed to like really think about like your breath and you know, releasing your muscles from your bones to try to turn your brain off and go to sleep, and you're having trouble sleeping. And my thought as I was laying there, remembering my very poor decision making with the six coffee mochies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was.
Speaker 2: Damn it. This is a comfortable mattress, absolutely really comfortable. And then I passed out.
Speaker 1: Then you passed out. Let's move on. Let's go back into the acc Atlantic and talk about let's talk about NC state this year.
Speaker 2: Dan, Let's do it.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a hell of a ride, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, will be Wow, you had It's and this is kind of a theme both throughout the Fatlantic with certain teams and the AAC West is okay, quarterback seems to be in a pretty good place. Either somebody's experienced in coming back and as a strength, or somebody showed a little bit of a promise to finish out last year. But that defense canna be rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, it's it's frenzy status. It's all on Ryan Finley, and I do mean all because they lose Jalen Samuels, their h back. We talked about Jalen Samuels for three years. He did so much for that offense as a runner and a receiver. And you factor that in with Nahem Hines who's also gone from the backfield.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I feel great about their passing game because Kelvin Harmon, Stephen Lewis, and Jacoby Myers they're all back in addition to Ryan Finley. But who that defense? If that is not going to be mcgyverd together, I don't know what will in the acc FA Atlantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose If you are into good quarterback play, is this is why you care about NC State. You get to watch Ryan Finley, who was super efficient most of last year, could be one of the first three or four quarterbacks taken in the draft that that's something you're interested in. And there's gonna be shootouts back half of that schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whoof?
Speaker 2: So I mean, this isn't all that diff Like. They gave up a ton through the air last year, even with Bradley Chubb, even with that defensive line. So there's no real reason to assume anything too different from Menci State this year. But that's fine. They were fun to watch last year. They were within a few points of Clemson, a few seconds of beating Clemson. The back half of this schedule is they go to Clemson, to Syracuse, Florida State wake at Louisville, and then North Carolina on the road as well. We don't know if that's super crazy, but right this is another and we didn't play this sound too much last year. We've already played it tonight. They have Clemson on the road October twentieth, Florida State at home November three. And where do they go in between those two weeks? Tell me Dan, they go to the Carrier Dome. Oh look a dun sandwich.
Speaker 1: You I'm so hungry.
Speaker 2: I'm so hungry.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a letdown look ahead spot if I've ever seen one.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to not with the confidence I had about Boston College and Clemson say that Syracuse is they're right there to just pick off NC State, But Syracuse is kind of like a tapeworm. Ultimately, you're going to keep on living your life, probably like Clemson did last year. Right, but you go to you know, Ellis you had their struggles with just randomly with Syracuse. You remember Louisville back in the day, troubles like they are just they're going to attach themselves to your intestine, right and make things tricky for a while.
Speaker 1: Like you can get rid of them, but only with really strong antibiotics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to take some time. It is going to take some time. You go to Western New York, you're going to catch something. Yeah, and that's something is is dino babitis.
Speaker 1: I don't know what Syracuse tapeworm. I think is an apt way to put it. I you know, so that of course is something that I think will be care worthy if you're looking at NC State. Yeah, but you know, they're intriguing to me because outside of a couple teams on the schedule. Right, with the exception of teams like Clemson in Florida State, you don't look at it and say, wow, there's like a ton of offensive firepower that they got to worry about, right.
Speaker 2: Right, No, there isn't.
Speaker 1: So you know, for as bad as the defense could be, and we don't know, for as bad as they could be this year, their offense could just be good enough to offset some of the issues that they might have on defense, so they still, who the hell knows, could end up winning a bunch of games. I think that really lends credence to what you said at the top. A lot of shootouts this year, a lot of reason to be really interested in how NC State finishes in that ACC. Fatlantic. Look, you could make a case for them to finish fifth or sixth in that side of the ACC. Yeah, as much as you could make a case for them to finish third. It really varies depending on how that defense plays, and particularly if the offense can pick up the slack. The other thing that I'll throw out there that I don't think you mentioned, you might have, and if you did, I apologize. There's a pretty big litmus test Week three against West Virginia which could be I was just going to go there. Yeah, a ton of fun to watch, especially given the fact that both teams are on track to put up a lot of points this year.
Speaker 2: This is true, and they're they're very similar there. You know, they have that quarterback who is pretty well regarded. They have the receiving experience and talent defense with huge questions. That'll be fun. It will one. I think that's an afternoon three thirty kick. That's going to be after two and listen. I'm not going to put down JMU. This is a powerhouse program, but they should beat JMU.
Speaker 1: They better beat JMU. Dave Dorian almost took the Tennessee job. They better beat JMU.
Speaker 2: The other great thing about just in terms of schedule, is they miss Miami, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech cross division wise, and no Notre Dame this year.
Speaker 1: No Notre Dame. That's right.
Speaker 2: It's a nice year to have to rely on some smoke in mirror and one single right arm for success. I know they go to Clemson into the Carrier Dome and consecutive weeks, and the back half of their schedule they go to Louisville and maybe Juan Pass you know, beyond having an excellent name is going to be incredible. But all things considered, this would be this should be at the very least another fun team.
Speaker 1: Right, it should be a fun team. It won't be fun against a team like Boston College. It's just going to run the ball forty times. That will be as they should. I think that will be a bit of an issue for NCI State. But otherwise, yeah, it's gonna be a hell of a ride. That's the best I can say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's things. If things lined up like this last year, it would have been ideal schedule wise, but great fun. This is good. This is a North Carolina State is a perfect example of you're a fan of somebody eighteen hundred miles away and c stay it's going a good TV show this year.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Syracuse tapeworm, shall we. I'd love to when four and eight last year. Grungy Eric Dungee is back in what feels like is seventeenth season.
Speaker 2: Now I'm rooting for him. I like that he's randomly from Portland and got a last second Syracuse offer and was like, okay, sure, whatever.
Speaker 1: We're talking about a team with no true game breakers on offense. No, the defense surprisingly is actually stronger for Syracuse this year, stronger than I think we're used to. But the fact remains that Syracuse is one in fifteen in their last four novembers. Dan Ah Bowl eligibility is going to come down to games at Wake and Boston College and at home against Louisville. We've got a neutral cider in there, also LOUMERWL Louiaville against Notre Dame. They may need to win two or three of those games late in the year to get Bowl eligible. And I feel like that's an awful lot to ask.
Speaker 2: Where is that Notre Dame game?
Speaker 1: It's a Yankee Stadium, Dan Yankee Stadium, Okay, the de facto oh Pinstripe Bowl, but not really the Pinstripe Bull.
Speaker 2: Oh, and you have your hat, You're all set if you would decide to head on down to the Bronx.
Speaker 1: There's also, as we mentioned earlier, games in the Carrier Dome versus Florida State, versus NC State versus Louisville, Louisville Louisville. Who will talk about vul in just a little bit. The conventional logic dan mm hmm, was that Syracuse was going to take a big leap forward last year, and that did not really happen. It was a tough schedule. Eric Dungee missed I think the last what three games of the year mm hmm, and it kind of came apart on him. Now they've got a fair amount of experience coming back in the ACC. I don't know if I'm expecting a breakthrough here for Dino Babers. I want there to be a breakthrough, I really do. I'm just not feeling it.
Speaker 2: So few notes about Syracuse. One schedule is actually pretty awesome when you look at it. So this is another team, no Georgia Tech, no Virginia Tech, no Miami. When you have a suspect defense, I agree with you that their defense should be better. That's mostly because of their defensive line is experienced, and I think should make some plays behind that defensive line. I don't know how happy I am with this QS defense. But listen. They go to Western Michigan, Fine Wagner, Fine Florida State is at home. They're going to lose that game most likely, but whatever, it's at home. At least they have Yukon at home. They go to Clemson two pit. They these are like going two pit is not Pitt's going to start? Who at the retread USC Alabama, Like this pit's going to be not great probably this year the road games back half of the schedule, when things hypothetically get tough and you're wounded and beat up, like as Syracuse was last year, they go two wake. They have Notre Dame. They're gonna lose Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium, but they're not going to South Bend and they go to Boston College. So this is not a murderer's rose schedule. Eric Dungee, we are every digit we have is cross that he stays healthy this year. There's a cool like the quarterback room is an amazing story with Eric Dungee being a fourth year starter, Rex Culpeper coming back from testicular cancer, and Tommy DeVito being one of like nine famous Tommy DeVito's the bass player for the four season four seasons, Frankie Valley in the four seasons, Tommy DeVito, Joe Pesci's character and Goodfellowvida like A'm I funny how I'm when I'm a clown. I'm using Tommy DeVito and Tommy DeVito's a four star blue chip quarterback who may be the best pure passer in that room. So Syracuse at least has a Tommy Davito. And I don't know what's gonna happen. I don't know who's gonna be quarterback by the time to get to say North Carolina on October twentieth. But the Syracuse tapeworm is real, Tie, it is very real, And I don't know who's going to be administering said tapeworm. Yeah, but this should be a year in what it is now. You're three of Dino Baber's year three. That year two, they beat Clemson and we all remember that, and that was a program defining or at least season defining moment for Syracuse before. I mean, they didn't win after that game, but it's set up that they could go to a bowl game this year, and that would be a cool story, all things considered, with how down they were and all of my bluster about the ACC being basically joke free in terms of teams and basement dwelling. So I'm rooting for Syracuse to be an effective tapeworm.
Speaker 1: I'm not totally on board with your assertion here that the schedule isn't isn't that bad? Well, I think I think it's a lot to ask late in the year for them to win two or three of those games that I listed in order to make a Bowl, because that's what it's going to come down to. So we'll wait and see on that front. But on your point of the Syracuse tapeworm, a subplot could be that there's only one man in the world who knows the cure to the Syracuse tapeworm. He's a man on the inside and he's the punter named Sterling Hulfrichter Junior.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, what a name.
Speaker 1: If there's anybody who knows the antidote, it's somebody named Sterling Hulfrichter Junior.
Speaker 2: As a note, that's not as entertaining as that. You can get into the Syracuse Wagner game right now for six dollars, So a ticket is going to cost less than a hot dog at that game.
Speaker 1: All right, two teams left in the ACC. Let's talk about well, Lo Louisville. So I mentioned how Boston College might be the most interesting team in the ACC. I think I really mean it about Louisville. Louisville Louiauville went eight.
Speaker 2: And four a year. It's in your head and I love it.
Speaker 1: You're so in my head. Eight and four year ago they lose Lamar Jackson. Everyone knows the deal about Lamar Jackson, all right. Heisman Trophy winning quarterback was unbelievable. But now this year they've got seven other guys who were on the team from a year ago who were back on offense. They've got four along the offensive line, and they've got their new quarterback, Juwan Pass, who's a freaking tank at six four, two thirty and he goes by the nickname Puma, which I love. Love that love that we've got Puma Pass out there running the show for the Louisville Cardinals. So that should at least be fun on the offensive side of the ball. The defense, Dan also could be fun, but only in a very sadistic way. Just throwing it out there because I know they're bringing Brian van Gorder to town. And just as you were once a fan of a Brady Hoag defense, I too was once a fan of many Brian Van Gorder defenses, and Louisville fans, I feel for you.
Speaker 2: You may watch more Louisville games. This might be the care factor above even whom a pass just to bathe in the fact that you don't have to be invested in the BBG defense.
Speaker 1: Somebody, please, I am begging for somebody out there. Somebody find me. The article that is written, if it isn't written, should be written and will be written about the new aggressive attacking mentality that BVG is going to bring to town. Somebody's going to write that article.
Speaker 2: Dan, I just and we'll get to this the back half of the show. I did just see in reading about I think it's SMU and Sonny Dyke's who hired him. They hired Kevin Kine. I believe his name is the NIU defensive coordinator. Attacking mentality. Baby, they love it. It should be noted somebody's going to write that article about BVG. Do you think it will be? And you are in control of this partially A top I don't know. Six Fantasy Thing draft pick. Juwan Pass is a quarterback and his name is Pass.
Speaker 1: Oh, that might be a little too dad jokey for our Fantasy Things draft.
Speaker 2: Who do you think is calling these games?
Speaker 1: I know, I mean it's Dad joke Central calling these games. But I don't know. I mean it's in the conversation. We'll put it there. It's on my list.
Speaker 2: It's so blunt and direct. I wish there were, like a if there were a long snapper named Broderick Snappington, right, that'd be for me, that'd be a little bit better.
Speaker 1: See instead of the pass quarterback factor, right, I think we might go with more of an ironic play given the fact that Juan Passes nickname is Puma, yet he's six four two thirty. The Puma, of course being a regal sinewy beast out on thee yeah, out on the uh you know, western part of North America and whatnot, and he of course being just an utter tank at six four two thirty. How do we feel about Louisville, Dan, Other than those two reasons why we should care, how do you feel about a eight or nine win Louisville team this year? Is that too generous?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's too generous. They return a good amount on offense. Their skill talent around Juwan Pass should be pretty great. The line, as you mentioned, is what it's four out of five for starters. So the situation the offense finds itself in and namely Bobby Petrino. It seems advantageous. They opened the season in a less than advantageous Alabama not good. So they play Alabama? Is that Orlando? Where they play that Orlando?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yes, Camping World Stadium, Dan, Yes, And.
Speaker 2: That feels dicey. That feels like a dicey way to introduce a new quarterback. We saw that with USC a couple of years ago and Max Brown. So outside of that, the non conference part of their schedule, you know, they finished with Kentucky. It's fine. Road wise, I think it's pretty great. This is another team that is not I mean, they have Georgia Tech, but they don't have Miami of Virginia Tech, so cross division wise, and they don't have Notre Dame. So it's fine. Alabama changes the paradigm of sense to schedule is.
Speaker 1: Fine just a little bit. Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: Defensively, linebacker is intriguing. Upfront, I'm not scared of too much, especially given the defensive coordinator and the scheme. You're gonna be able to throw on this Louisville team a good amount. The good news for them is a lot of these teams don't have super talented, proven quarterbacks at least in the first half of the schedule, so that's at least again outside of Alabama.
Speaker 1: You could dan, you could squint and find eight or nine wins here if you're feeling generous. You could also see it going terribly wrong and then missing a bowl. That's part of the reason why I think Louisville has a high care factor in the ACC this year. Whether's so intriguing because yeah, it could kind of go either way.
Speaker 2: No, you're right. I think seven and a half feels about the right over under. I think eight and four with a couple of breaks. I know if Jawan Pass works out, feels a bit right. I want to highlight a dude if you will, if you can play the same Their right tackle is what is considered to be a big dude. McKai Becton is six seven, three sixty whole and he's good at football.
Speaker 1: Geez.
Speaker 2: And we've seen offensive line issues very recently with Louisville. It appears to be solidifying. They hired a new coach before last year. Up front, I imagine if Juwan Pass is able to develop throughout this season after the Alabama game, a big reason for that will be that line giving him time to throw to experienced receivers. And McKai becton is the clear size and yeah size of that line. So he is the uh as you look at pickup trucks, it's like an extended bed.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, And finally in the acc FA Atlantic before we move quickly and buzz through the aa C West. Yes, talking about wake Forest, Dan, wake Forest went seven and five a year ago. They were plucky. I enjoyed talking. I enjoyed predicting what would happen next with the Wolford wagon. The Wolford wagon has has ridden off into the sunset, rolled on. Yep. Now we're talking about the Kendall Hinton era, which is going to have to wait a few extra games to start in earnest here because he was suspended for the first three games of the year due to a violation of team rules. So where do we stand here with wake Forest. We know that the offensive line is back. We know that the receiving cores is mostly back. We know that Matt Coleburn is back at running back, had almost a thousand yards a year ago. We know all that. We don't know a ton about quarterback. We'll wait and see The real question is going to be that front seven, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, that defense may be pretty rough, but here's why you care. And I would probably group this in that same Boston College. And I promise I'm not trying to and I'm not being condescending in my heart about this. Wake Forest is a competitive team. This like Boston College matters. They're developing players on both sides of the ball. Duke Edge of four unfortunately is gone. I mean still alive, but no longer in Winston Salem. And you know, whether it's John Wolford, whether it's just the claw fence. In general, it's good. Life is good watching the ACC and wake Forest. They were like a foot and a half from beating Florida State last year.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: They win a big shootout, fun bowl game. Wake Forest, a team that's associated with the saddest moment in ACC Championship game history, is a fun team developing quarterbacks. They have like an all purpose standout And he's a dude. But we don't need to play the sound again, but he is definitely Greg Dortch, which is a ridiculous name to say. It sounds fake. It sounds like he sells Spokane better than any other realtor in the area. Trust Greg Dortch with your ranch house. But Greg Dortch is really fun. He could be a Debo type impact player for Wake. I like this situation for Wake a lot. They're not all that different from a couple of these other teams that are gonna rely on shootouts but schematically on offense with a line that's in place and at least a promising quarterback. We think in Kendall Hinton. There's a lot to like again, adding to the joke freeness of the ACC, which I can name a couple of other major conferences off the top of my head that are nowhere near as joke free as the ACC.
Speaker 1: Joke free ACC. I like it. It's got a ring to it. Can I can I confess something here?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Can I just get it out before we get any deeper into our season previews? Here?
Speaker 2: Come into my safe arms time.
Speaker 1: There are deep, dark, unspoken moments when I forget that Dave Duran and Dave claws And are different people.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Dave is a very acc name.
Speaker 1: And I'm not proud of that because Dave Claws in Hey, He's done a really good job. Last year was fun to watch. He's two and zero in bowls. He's twenty one and twenty nine overall at wake Forest, which is not an easy task.
Speaker 2: It's a full from scratch project that he has succeeded thus far with. And if there is any one wish I have for Wake Forest is please get rid of the WF helmet decal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could do so much better. Go fuld demon deacon, full demon Deacon.
Speaker 2: Do something. If you're refreshing successfully with the claw offence, refresh the look. Please please, please please please get just mess up that hat. Do something.
Speaker 1: Just write claw fence on it, but capitalize the W in the f. Oh do something happy medium. What's their schedule like? Is it is wake schedule? Like?
Speaker 2: Could they finish with it? Seems Let's see, they go to Florida State. They open at Tulane, which is going to be tricky. That's a Thursday night opener. May have Florida State and Louisville on the road in consecutive weeks.
Speaker 1: Not like the worst road schedule here.
Speaker 2: No, and they have a bye week before that. Florida State Louisville double dep Yeah, all right, but Cloud they finish listen this. They finished with Syracuse, NC State on the road pit and going to Duke. It's it feels like they could go to a bowl game again, which is great.
Speaker 1: I tell you right now. NC State might get torched by the Dorch torch.
Speaker 2: By the door, see that hat Dorch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Louisville with that BVG defense, they could get torched by the Dorch torch by the doors. Just saying, so there you go. We went through the acc FA Atlantic, all seven teams of it. Dan, Yes, please write in Suliverble at gmail dot com. Let us know your thoughts. We're also available on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, all those hot spots. Let us know your thoughts on the acc Atlantic very quickly. People have been asking us now for gosh, I want to say, it's been five six years. As we do our season previews, we've had different iterations of season previews for a while. There. We were doing our top twenty five teams and our top forty teams. Then we switched it up to conferences, Then we switched it up to I forget whatever we did last year, but it was in Latin, like we did it in Latin pig last than before. Sure, Yeah, this year We're going to go division by division. We've had so many requests to talk in a little bit more detail about the group of five, correct, So we're gonna try it this year. We're not going to devote a full hour and five like we did the ACC Atlantic. But let's talk about the ACC West, Dan, Let's talk about why we should care about Memphis, Houston Navy SMU two Lane in Tulsa.
Speaker 2: You should care because and I'm gonna make this very simple. I'm gonna try to encapsulate this in a way that makes sense to my dumb brain. You know, when you're watching Netflix and you watch a show and you go on with your life. You're not doing anything else on Netflix. You're making yourself a sandwich, You're going to work whatever, and you come back, you come back to Netflix and you say, oh, because you watch The Office, you might enjoy Parks and Recreation right right, because you watched Making a Murder whatever that show is called. You might like this. You know, Peaky blind who's done it, Peaky Blinders, whatever? If you like The Big twelve, if you like PAC twelve after Dark, you might like the AAC West. I am really like do you have Spotify? Tie. Is that a certain too, Yeah, yeah, yeah. Discover Weekly is essentially knows me better than my best friends, my wife, my family, whatever. There is something very Discover weekly about the AAC West. Did you like Pactole after Dark? We got sunny dikes. Odds are astronomical that you're not rooting for Memphis, Houston, Navy, SMU, Tulane or Tulsa because they're just smaller football programs. And I know there's talk about like, oh, there's it's the Power six not the Power five because of the AAC. But here's the thing. Memphis is really fun to watch, and I have no rooting interest. Only I've been to Memphis. I have no rooting interest in the Tigers. Houston's going to be fun to watch this year. Navy is going to be fun to There's questions, there's astro there's ifs for all of these teams, but this is a TV show. If you like Khalil Tate in Arizona, I think you're gonna like Derek King for Houston.
Speaker 1: That's took over at quarterback. Excuse me, that's Eric with a queue for quarterback.
Speaker 2: D Yes, that's true. That is the exactly much. If you like watching Georgia Tech a couple of years ago with Justin Thomas. Whatever, You're gonna like Malcolm Perry and Navy.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna hate watching Malcolm Perry and Navy in San Diego against Notre Dame. Why are they playing in San Diego?
Speaker 2: If you like previous Willie Fritz option teams, he's gonna throw the ball pretty effectively. Not him, Jonathan Banks. If you liked watching those Baylor Okay, Tulsa's gonna yeah, Tulsa's gonna be bad. This is almost assuredly going to be bad, but they might put up some points, who knows. And Oliver is the best defensive lineman in the country and he's on the same team as perhaps one of the most fun new quarterbacks in the country and Derek King potentially, and we haven't even mentioned Memphis. If you like watching last year's Memphis team, there's a lot back on both sides. They're going this is going to be this is Discover Weekly Pack twelve after Dark. And if that doesn't sell you the AAC West tie, I need to go back to the drawing door board because I thought that was pretty good.
Speaker 1: That wasn't half bad? Dan Yes, not to mention Brady White from Memphis. Formerly I think of Arizona State.
Speaker 2: Right following Norvel to Memphis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think there are a lot of reasons to be excited about the AAC West.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And if you look at the AAC in general, and you look at teams who scored the fewest points not coming from the West. Nope, I'm not going to tell you the AAC East is discover Weekly Big twelve because it's just not Nope. Outside of UCF, I am extremely unironically excited like that. I would make the AAC West a DVR show. They're like a great Tuesday watch. Like I'm not going to be able to watch every minute of all of these games, but they'll be on YouTube, They'll be on some service, and I'll be able to skim through and have a grand old time. That's the AAC West to me. Discover Weekly Pac twelve.
Speaker 1: After dark, I'll be discovering Memphis at Missouri on October the twentieth. That could be a fun game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it absolutely can be.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't want to talk again about Navy against Notre Dame, but I suppose if you hate Notre Dame, that could be interesting. Oh, by the way, we could talk on September fifteenth about Navy against Lehigh for a little Patriot League seasoning.
Speaker 2: We could. I anticipate it a lot of fun here in the and Houston has a couple of Power five teams.
Speaker 1: Earlier, Houston's got to have Arizona Texas Tech. They'll probably shut out Texas Tech within Oliver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the back half of that defense is your voice goes up a little bit when you talk about some of that. They lost a lot, but they're gonna be fun. Yeah, Man, there are time do you have you listened to your Discover Weekly? Sometimes it is unbelievable. I've polluted mine because I listen to music when I work. Sometimes that is sort of like that chip Ill, you know, ambient productive music, and so that that pollutes a little bit. I wish there was a way to change things up. But man, I love me some Discover Weekly, and they are not paying me a damn dime to say that.
Speaker 1: No, they are definitely not paying us a damn time on that firm.
Speaker 2: Get at us, Spotify. I believe you have gone public and you are flushed with cash.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, that does it for our first preview shows.
Speaker 2: Who's coming out of the West.
Speaker 1: By the way, who's coming out of the West?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which team do you feel most confident? You feel Memphis reloading a quarterback, new look Houston offense major Apple White and ned York King and Kendall Briles. We should mention that ye'll be uncomfortable, but effect is Malcolm perryat the same type of you know, game breaker.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go Memphis again. Okay, give me a Memphis.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I'm gonna do that as well. They lose their offensive coordinator for the second straight year. But I'm going Memphi.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go Memphis. Yeah, let's do Memphis here. Okay, So here is the deal moving forward, Dan and I, we believe have done an alarming amount of planning. Yeah, to plot our pathway through till the end of August. We've got a show with Bill Barnwell that we're very excited about, non football show that we've also got, Yeah on the schedule. We've got our Live Fantasy Things show, which we will released even if you can't make it to Chicago. We want you to be there, but if you can't, we are going to put that one out there. After the fact so you can listen. We think we've got a pathway through all the way until the start of the college football season. There will be a point here very soon, and by very soon, I think I mean next week where we're gonna start putting two shows out a.
Speaker 2: Week, ramp it up. We're gonna stop.
Speaker 1: We're gonna ramp this machine up and start talking about more conferences in the span of a week. So this is our warm up act. We've got more coming in very short order. The best way that you can stay in touch with us is, as always, our newsletter, which you can find at solid verbal dot com. There's a sign up form. You can also go to Facebook dot com Solid Verbal click on the big sign up button at the top of the page. We're also going to make sure we tweet out the form as well. If you are interested in that live show or any of our new merchandise that we're going to put forth. The newsletter is the best place and the first place that you will find out all that information. That doesn't mean we won't post it on social media in due time, but if you want to be one of the early birds and for the live show, I would suggest it because I think we're going to sell out very quickly. The newsletter is your first line of defense, the best place that you can find all that information out. I think we're going to do our best to at least give people some prior warning across our social media channels when we plan to put those tickets up. But it's gonna be one of those deals, Dan, where when we get the go ahead from our current the unnamed venue, we're gonna try and put those tickets out there into the public sphere so people can start actually making plants to come to Chicago.
Speaker 2: Ty as we ramp up, this is my final question. You ever had a ramp?
Speaker 1: A like a bike ramptible?
Speaker 2: No, the ramp?
Speaker 1: This is a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, r a MP It is a vegetable. Have you heard of are seeing a ramp on a menu?
Speaker 1: I've never heard of that in my life. Okay, I'm this ramp vegetable.
Speaker 2: This is something I've only heard of, probably in the last two or three years.
Speaker 1: Is that like it?
Speaker 2: Not? I did not grow up with ramps.
Speaker 1: It's like a super scallion crossed with a really big spinach leaf sorta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's scallion shall It's pretty good. You can roast them up.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's garlikie. It's a wild onion widespread across eastern Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean you can get them in the States. Yeah, I'm sure you can get some ramps at Wagman's Tie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, that is my.
Speaker 2: That is my food recommendation for the week. Ramps. You ever have a ape escape? It's another vegetable I learned about in the last Jesus. So no have you? Oh those are good too.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna take your word for it. Dan.
Speaker 2: It's their sort of rudy. It's like if you're going to order vegetables.
Speaker 1: Rudy, No different rudy.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got to get into vegetables tie before the season starts, when all hell breaks loose in your stomach. That's the only reason I bring it up. Ramps Escapes. Fun to say.
Speaker 1: On that note, for that fine gentleman over there in New York City, for myself, Tie, he'll the brand over here in Eastern PA. Thanks again for tuning in. We will be back next week. You'll hear more of us next week. Stay tuned for ticket information. Please do hit up the Neewslibrable store at celibrable dot com slash store if you want to buy some of the cool T shirts that we put out there, we'll catch you on a week In the meantime, stay solid, pace not