Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we've discovered all the four D replays from ESPN's NCAA Gymnastics Championships coverage. They installed thirty cameras at the Beam and Vault to create these insanely cool videos.
Speaker 2: Can't stop watching.
Speaker 1: It's Monday, April twenty first, and on today's show, we'll be talking to Angel City goalkeeper Angelina Anderson about keeping her confidence even as she endured moves from backup to starter, to backup, back to starter again. We discuss ACFC naming a new head coach, the Angel City celebrity owners she most wants to meet, and getting her first US women's national team call up. Plus a border battle we can get behind, a reason to feel unwell, and celebrating losing in front of a big crowd. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome back Slices. Hope you had a great weekend. Here's what you need to know today, Starting with hockey and the conclusion of Women's World Worlds for the twenty third time in twenty four World Championships, the US and Canada met in the gold medal game on Sunday, and as always, the matchup did not disappoint. It was tied three apiece after regulation and the game went into overtime, with Team USA coming out on top, Tessa Janicky scoring the game winner seventeen oh six into the extra period to lead the Stars and Stripes to the four to three victory. Backup goaltender Gwyneth Phillips came up big for Team USA, making seventeen stops on eighteen shots, including all ten in overtime, after coming into spell starter Aaron Frankel, who suffered an injury in the third period after a collision. Phillips was understandably a little overwhelmed and at a loss for words after the win.
Speaker 2: Take a listen, all right, tell me what is going through your mind?
Speaker 1: Honestly, before, during, during, not a lot like just like peer instinct.
Speaker 2: I guess how were you able to stop.
Speaker 3: Everything that came your way?
Speaker 2: Why Did's not that y by?
Speaker 3: I had a lot of really good help in front of me, so they made my life as easy as it could be.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you're feeling in this moment right now.
Speaker 3: Shock it off. I'm ecstatic.
Speaker 2: Congratulation, Thank you, I love it.
Speaker 1: Hillary Knight, who holds nearly every record in the books for Women's Worlds extended another with her record tenth gold medal, and she's heading home with the nifty shiner on her left eye too. Tmusa had made it to the final with a two one win over host nation Checkia on Saturday, while the Canadians defeated Finland eight to one in the other semi More hockey, the Professional Women's Hockey League has reportedly picked its first expansion city, Vancouver. Local Vancouver paper The Province was the first to report the news. The team is expected to begin play in twenty twenty five twenty six. This expansion comes less than two years after the league's launch in January twenty twenty four. The official announcement confirming Vancouver is expected.
Speaker 2: To come this Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Per the Associated Press, Seattle appears to be the top contender for expansion city, now number two, though plans to announce Seattle as the pick are currently on hold. To Gymnastics, Oklahoma captured the NCUBLEA Gymnastics Championship on Saturday in Fort Worth, Texas, besting second place UCLA, third place Missouri, and fourth place Utah. This is Oklahoma's third title in four seasons and seventh overall. Tying them with the UCLA for third most titles in NCAA history. Earlier in the competition, Oklahomas Jordan Bowers won the individual all around title, beating out a decorated field that included multiple Olympians. As for the individual apparatus titles, LSU's Kaylin Chio one on vault, UCLA's Brooklyn Moors took the floor title, Missouri's Helen Who one on beam, and UCLA's Jordan Chiles topped the floor exercise. To softball, Stanford broke the NCUBA softball single game attendance record while hosting rival Cal on Saturday thirteen thou Two hundred and seven fans crammed into Stanford Stadium, the venue where the school's football team plays, for the quote unquote big swing. But while the Cardinal won the record, they did lose the game, falling to Cal ten to eight. The previous softball record was twelve thousand, five sixty six set in Oklahoma at last year's College World Series. To soccer, US women's national team and Washington's Spirit star Trinity Rodman is out indefinitely as she deals with ongoing back issues. In a statement to ESPN, the Spirit said, quote Trinity is taking time away from team activities to manage her back.
Speaker 2: We look forward to her returning when she's healthy. End quote.
Speaker 1: Rodman's agent told The Washington Post that she'll be meeting with a doctor in London and will return to the team as soon as she's healthy. Rodman has battled back injuries for several years now and has previously said that she never expects to be back to one hundred percent health more NWSL. Even without Rodman and without Kroy Bethune, and without Hal Hirschfeldt and without Casey Krueger, the Spirits still manage to win their match against the Orlando Pride on Saturday one nil, handing the Pride their first law the regular season. The lone goal of the game was scored by Spirit rookie Gift Monday, who was signed by the team in March. Also congrats to the Seattle Rains lynbian Doolo, who notched the thirty first regular season assist of her career on Friday night. She's now tied for the most assists in NWSL history. She set up Mattie Dleen's goal in Seattle's one nail victory over the Portland Thorns. The Rain's first regular season win over its regional rivals since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: We got to take a quick break. When we come back. It's Angelina Anderson.
Speaker 1: We caught up with her last Thursday, the day before Angel City's four nothing lost to Gotham, the team's first loss of the season.
Speaker 2: Are we bad luck? I say no, but Angel City might feel otherwise. Stick around joining us now.
Speaker 1: She's the keeper of Angel Cities, Hopes and Dreams aka, the starting goalkeeper for ACFC, and she recently got her first US.
Speaker 2: National team call up.
Speaker 1: A Berkeley grad who was a team captain her sophomore, junior, and senior seasons in college, her mom was a track star, her dad was a football player, and her middle name is Dora. It's Angelina Anderson. How often do you get Dora the Explorer?
Speaker 2: Just all the time?
Speaker 3: I got that a lot growing up in like elementary school. People thought that was really really funny. Now I don't mind, but only only special people know my middle name.
Speaker 2: So now all of our.
Speaker 1: Listeners, Yeah, a really nice start for your Angel City club to to and o sitting in fourth in the league.
Speaker 2: What's going well for you guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I am so proud of us. I'm so excited. Been a great start. Like you said, it just feels great to be undefeated. Honestly, I think the team's just really together. Like we've had a lot of moving parts, and obviously with some interim positions and new people coming in and new players coming in, but it's been like a seamless transition, and I just kind of have an impression that no matter what's going on outside in the world or external forces, like, if your team's together, you can get through a lot. So I just feel like we've got a really good vibe in the locker room right now, and we're all kind of just like riding off of each performance and hoping that the next one's better. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: I actually was recently talking to a retired player and it was that conversation about vibes that, yeah, of course you need skill, and of course you need structure, but there's something about a magic between teammates that if it's happening early in the season, just like the intangibles and the things you almost can't describe, happen, and it keeps you united through the tough times and keeps you together when people are frustrated. That's just it's so important, and that's really special to have with a team that does have some things in flux. After a pretty lengthy search going on since last December, you just announced a new coach and Alexander Strauss.
Speaker 2: He won't be here yet.
Speaker 1: He's going to leave German squad Byron Munich and come in June, but has had a lot of success with them since twenty twenty two out there.
Speaker 2: What do you know about him? If anything?
Speaker 3: Not much, pretty much basically what you've just said. Obviously, the team was told and we got kind of a brief synopsis. I think it was nice to hear from management their confidence in him and that throughout the search, one of the big priorities was finding like a winner, you know, who has proven time and time again that they can win in big moments, and so I think we all love to hear that from him, and it's exciting. But at the same time, like, I'm just proud of our groups. I guess kind of mentality and ability to like take that big news that we got and then still be like, Okay, well that's coming in June. We got a game to win tomorrow, you right, we're keeping We're keeping this bus roll in and we'll see you in June. So yeah, I think yeah. I think it's been a really really great conversations and good vibe after hearing the news exciting.
Speaker 1: How has it been playing under Sam Sam Lady your interim coach, knowing he's not going to stay on his head coach but will be around. Does it feel any different than any other year when you've got a full time coach in place?
Speaker 3: Not necessarily. I think you kind of you act under the guys that this is your head coach and he's kind of setting our style of play and leading the ship. And I think Sam's done a really good job with that of coming in and bringing us together. And obviously he's been in the league for a while, so he knows how this league works. And I think that's definitely shown. I feel like he has the group together and it doesn't really feel like he's interim necessary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know the new coach news is very new, but do you have any indication about whether they'll start to try to have your new coach's style or any of his impressions transferred to Sam to start you working on things. Is there going to be a difference between Alexander's approach and Sam's in a way that Sam might want to start slowly introducing so that when Alexander gets here, y'all are already, you know, understanding what kind of approach he has the game.
Speaker 3: Right from what we've been told. Part of that search was finding somebody who like aligns with the type of football that Angel City wants to play, that we want to put in front of the fans, that management wants us to play, that we have players who can play this way. So I think that was one of the big like guiding factors too throughout the hiring process, of like, who is somebody that we're aligned with, They're aligned with us, so we can just play the like, dynamic, exciting football that we want to play. So I think should be should be a pretty smooth transition. You know, you never know new people and coaches with quirks and stuff. So I'm excited to see the differences and the similarities and all that good change coming up.
Speaker 1: Well, on the one hand, it's great that Sam will be sticking around to be the senior assistant because he knows the team well.
Speaker 2: He'll help with the transition.
Speaker 1: It's going to be mid season, so that way Alexander doesn't have to come in and just try to figure it out himself, but also always to have someone go to a position of a little less authority after being the head man. Do you have an impression based on what you know of Sam of how he'll handle that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't imagine that role change for sure, like it would. I could imagine that you might feel some type of way about it, But I think Sam has just shown such professionalism and his goal at the end of the day is to help us win and to help us be successful. And I think like overall in our club, we have that mentality like whatever your role is, you do it to the best of your ability, and that's what it's going to take to get us to win and to be successful. And I have no doubt that Sam will continue just to bring his quality in whatever role he takes on.
Speaker 1: You personally have had to deal with a little bit of that top of the rung, a little bit back and forth. You were drafted twenty seventh overall in twenty twenty three. You made four regular season appearances. Your rookie season started the first playoff game in Angel City, franchise history, first rookie and quite some time to get us start in the playoffs, and then you started the beginning of last year, but replaced by did Harcich before resuming the starting role again this season.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of back and forth for a young career.
Speaker 1: How did you handle that setback last year and stay focused and ready in your backup role and make sure you were still doing your best for the team.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a lot of back and forth, and I think it's really easy to look at, you know, starting last year and then getting benched, It's easy to see that as a really like a negative thing. I personally think that last year will probably be one of the most valuable years of my professional career for a long long time, just of learning how to be a pro when things aren't going your way and how like to really really own your role and to be the best version of you regardless of the circumstances. So yeah, it was definitely challenging. But I think like my ultimate goal and like desire no matter what position I'm in, is like I want the team to win, and like when d D was starting over me like I support the hell out of d D. Support currently, you know, like, I just want whoever's on the field to be ready to go and to smash it, and I'm going to do whatever I can to get us there. So yeah, challenging, but I think my own like internal sense of being a part of something bigger than just myself kind of took over and that was my like bigger motivation for sure.
Speaker 1: I love that you've actually described last year as the biggest year of growth in all your life. I think it takes a certain kind of person to be ready for that moment and to handle it the way you have and to realize even in that moment, what an opportunity it is, what a learning experience it is. A lot of people can look back years later and be like, oh, that was good for me, But you seem to have had the emotional awareness to do it in the moment.
Speaker 2: To what do you attribute that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I've been told that I am wise beyond my ears. Maybe it's that, yeah, but no, I just yeah, I think like I had a really good support system around me too, of people like who lifted me up and still made me feel valued, and so I was able to still really feel like I do impact this team. I make this team better right now. I need some development. I gotta get my feet under me a bit more, and I know my time's coming. I think that was kind of my mindset of just keep pushing forward. This is a part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your teammate Alyssa Thompson has been on one lately, scoring in three or four Angel City games, lighting it up in the national team friendlies. I imagine that facing her and training every day has probably helped with you honing those skills.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah, like you said, Alyssa is in top form right now, and I mean she is special, like Alyssa Thompson is special. And it's funny because her and I have such a great relationship. We're draft mates, we're roommates on the road, like Alyssa is my girl. So I'm so happy to see her being so successful. But yes, in training, it's just like the best training ever for me. I mean, you have shifty Alyssa coming at you, and I just have to say she is way quicker in person than you guys see on TV. And yeah, it's it's great being able to train with liss. I think the thing that's popping into my head right now is phill score on me or score like a little sneaky goal on me, And then I see the biggest grin on her face and she's just running away, just you know, just.
Speaker 2: To make that so proud of hers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, but no, she's special, and I just I mean, yeah, she's playing at such a high level right now. I'm so happy for her.
Speaker 1: I love that you also get to spend a lot more time with her because you're at US women's national team practices together. So you played for the US under seventeen and under twenty teams, and then you got your first senior national team call up in January of this year as a training player, one of a handful of keepers that Emma Hayes wants to get a look at.
Speaker 2: So how did it feel to get that first call?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I cried. I mean, getting called up to the senior team has always been like a life goal of mine, and now it's happened twice this year. So I'm just like, I mean, I'm overjoyed. I'm honored just going into that environment. It's like my goal is just to improve and to smile and take it all in and be grateful and just like, look, look around like I'm being coached Byanma Hayes, I'm with Olympians. I'm like, it's really really special, and yeah, I think just like immense gratitude and excitement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an exciting and interesting time for the US women's national team. When it comes to the keeper position, it's kind of an unusual moment. There's been this pretty clear transition from Brianna Scurry to Hope Solo to a listener and now there's.
Speaker 2: A real battle for it.
Speaker 1: How has the sort of pod of keepers at national camp dealt with the uncertainty around the role.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting question. I think goalkeepers in particular are pretty good at like creating an environment that's like conducive to success through challenging each other and supporting each other. And so I feel like we're all pretty well versed of like we know that this is like the squad and at the end of the day, somebody's gonna play over somebody else. But when I've gone in, it's been really supportive. Obviously high challenge, and I mean from my perspective, like I kind of alluded to it earlier, is like I'm focused on improving me and improving the group and whoever steps on the field, let's go. I hope that's the best one for the team, and they get the job done. And it was super exciting seeing Fallin get her first cap, And obviously, like I look up to Mandy and she's been great to train against and with and see her thrive too. So it's been it's been really exciting just to kind of like be in be in that group, you know, and see like where do I fit in? Where's is going? And I think things will play out the way the way that they should. And it's been an honor being just called into that little group to get looked at.
Speaker 1: What have you learned from some of their keepers, anyone in particular that has given you a tip where you've watched them been like, oh yeah, I get I see that.
Speaker 3: I mean definitely, just like little technical things in training, like you get to watch people five yards away from you making insane saves and I think that's something I got to learn my rookie year of like watching Ddy do some crazy stuff right in front of me. I was like, oh, okay, that's how you get your foot out there or something. So I think, yeah, like little technical things like that, and then also for me, like still being a young goalkeeper and meeting some of the goalkeepers that like I've looked up to and really admired has been cool. Like I met Jane at the last camp and she was really cool.
Speaker 2: Jane Campbell. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I would just say, like being that in that ironman and being pushed by people that I've always really respected has been really valuable.
Speaker 1: You're one of the younger ones and you've got plenty of time to make your mark, so it's maybe a little bit easier to just go and soak it all up and just be grateful to be there. But I wonder, just in general as a keeper, is there some intentionality around the mental health approach, the sports psychology approach to the position, knowing that unless someone goes terribly wrong, you're probably not getting in if you didn't start, Like could you could be a forward or a midfielder and know that like, hey, I didn't get the start, but I might be a great sub that's going to completely change the game.
Speaker 2: But there's one keeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they probably are going to play every minute of every game, right, how do you? I mean it's easy to say, oh, you just have to be ready and like be you ready when your name is called.
Speaker 2: But that's hard.
Speaker 1: How much do you actually talk about that with either coaches or psychologists when you start to get on a path to be a professional or an elite keeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's something that you quickly learn if you're not the starter playing every single minute. And I think like what it comes down to is just you goalkeepers have to have this insane sense of like just perseverance through anything. And so yeah, like when you're when you're not starting and you're chilling on the bench for all these games, like you have to just stay ready and keep training as if you're going in. But it's like it takes that mental perseverance to do that. And then even like smaller things like when all the odds are against you and you got to make the save, like you have to I think as goalkeepers we just have to we have this ability to like push through perceived barriers. I guess is the way that I put it, Like, yeah, when all odds are against you, you got to make the save. When you're under the spotlight and you make a mistake, you got to get back up again. Yeah, we're really a special breed when it comes to perseverance for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting that you mentioned that because Briana Scurray was on our show recently. She actually talked about when she was going through all the different keepers in camp. She specifically said about you that you had the psychological edge because of starting, moving to back up, and working your way back to starter. She really sees toughness and resilience in that and sees you as someone who can deal with the pressures of being in a camp and battling it out for number one.
Speaker 2: Do you think that does.
Speaker 1: Give you an edge at all when dealing with the pressure of competing for national team spots, that there are athletes who maybe have never gotten knocked down yet they've just always been number one starter, and that you maybe have already figured out how to get through the tough stuff.
Speaker 3: First of all, Wow, what a awesome compliment. And I do think that that might give me an edge. Yeah. I think it's just a really valuable experience to kind of have some of those hardships early on as a pro And that's why I feel like last year might prove to be one of the most valuable years, you know, coming up, And yeah, I think having the experience of going through that is definitely going to help me, no doubt in my mind. And I think a lot of goalkeeping is just experience, and I think people only think about that in terms of playing time, but I think if you've experienced hardship, if you've experienced, you know, crawling your way back out of a hole, that's also really valuable. So yeah, I think that will prove to help me out at some point.
Speaker 1: I want to hear about Emma Hayes' style and communication.
Speaker 2: What kind of manager is she?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I mean, no secret when you're around her why she's been so successful. I think her as a human being, probably in every aspect of her life, is just somebody who strives for excellence than just continues to push that boundary. And you can tell, like when you're in the environment. I mean, she's a super cool person, but on the pitch, like she's as professional as they come. She is driving a standard and elite standard and that just rubs off on the rest of the group. I think it's so great when you have a coach that you're like, yes, obviously, when you have captains and other teammates who pushed that standard. That's you know, that rubs off on the group too. But when you have a coach who is like really pushing a standard and really doesn't accept anything but that excellence, it's like you just fall in line, you know. And so it's been really special to be coached by her. I remember I had a moment my first senior team camp and I was just sitting in the team meeting and I had a moment where I was like, holy crap, that's Ema and she's talking to me. Right, Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I do think that's the sweet spot.
Speaker 1: It's like they have to be demanding and expect a ton out of you and push you to get your best, but you have to respect them and like them so much. Yeah that you're like, oh, yeah, tell me what to do versus like this motherfucker right.
Speaker 3: Like I will follow you.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you know what she expects out of you and wants you to work on. Is she pretty transparent about saying here's what you need to get better at, here's what I don't like when you do this, or do you feel like you're trying to like search and figure that out?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think all the staff on the you know, on the US team, they have a certain level of professionalism about them where they're not just laying their cards out in front of everybody, which I think is really a great way to go about it. But on an individual level, obviously I work a lot with the goalkeepering coach as well, just like more one on one with that. But yes, I think it's very clear the style of play that they want to play, what your roles and expectations are as a goalkeeper, like specifically on the football side. And then for me, a big thing that we've all kind of been harping on is just getting a lot of experience in the league and starting this whole season and getting through a whole season as a starter, and that's kind of, I think all of our main goal to just continue my development.
Speaker 1: So I actually learned a lot from Briana Scurry about a couple things, including what Emma Hayes wants like in terms of a keeper who could be on ball, which means you can use your feet and stuff and not just pick it up and take it far. And they want to be kind of a possession team and integrate the keeper into the angles and possession to set things up instead of always feeling like you're separate from the rest of the team and moving into the offensive space. So is that a fit for what you're already doing with Angel City? Is that the style Angel City plays? Is it a possession team. Is it one where they're looking to incorporate you into starting and creating flow of offense or is that something you have to adjust when you get to camp to consider expectations differently.
Speaker 3: A little bit of an adjustment, I think a Angel City, a lot of my role at the moment has been like relieving pressure and you know, finding those smaller, more possession based passes when I can and when it's on. But I think for us we really want to for Angel City, that is, we want to maintain possession higher up the field, and one of my strong suits is definitely my range of kicking. And so yeah, I think it's a little bit of an adjustment just because I mean, as a goalkeeper you're still involved in possession and in the build up, but going into national team like you are really a playmaker. So yeah, just like another step up of my like role I guess in possession. So yeah, there's like a little bit of a learning curve there for the first day when I get into camp. But having both kinds of styles that you know, they really they do mesh. But having both those styles and all those skill sets in my pocket, like, yeah, it'll help you bring it on exactly.
Speaker 2: Wherever you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm starting to learn some of the differences in understanding style of keepers. Everyone that's elite is a good shot stopper, that's kind of necessary for the role, but there's so much more to it. Are there certain keepers that you watched growing up or more recently even that are kind of your influencers or role models or you try to model your game after.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, I'm currently my one of my biggest role models or someone that I'm just I disrespect so much is and Caterrin Berger and we're playing her tomorrow. I just think she is unbelievable with the ball at her feet, and you have to the other team has to play you differently when you're a goalkeeper who can play the ball anywhere on the field, at any time, any height on a dime. I'm just, yeah, I'm so impressed with her, and I literally I want to I want to be here one day with all my feet. So yeah, I say akb At the moment, I'm gonna I might ask her for her jersey tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love it.
Speaker 1: Do the jersey swap for those who aren't familiar place for Gotham FC German keeper and was the NWSL Keeper of the Year last year. Really changed a lot for that team and changes their style because they've got her back there.
Speaker 2: She's She's fantastic. I love the jersey swap.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta let you go, but we're gonna do a very quick La speed round. So what are your favorite ways to decompress or distress in La?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a challenge hanging out with my cat and I'm a big like meditator, breathwork visualizer, so I make sure I get that in every day. And hard to find nature around here, but I do my best. I take I take little hikes or I hit the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like how you think it's hard to find nature in La. I'm in Chicago. Okay, we do have a lake to ride a bike on or whatever. But I miss living in La because I would hike like three to four times a week. But it was my favorite spots were Pacific palisades that are no longer with us my favorite hiking places. But yeah, I mean, soak up the la vibes that you do have. There's a lot more nature near you than you probably think.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm from nor Cal where I could walk out.
Speaker 2: My back so spoiled. That's right. Okay, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 1: Which Angel City team owner were you or are you most excited or nervous to meet?
Speaker 3: Oh? Meeting Jennifer Gardner and Natalie Portman. That was like I was starstruck for sure.
Speaker 2: Jennifer's on my list.
Speaker 1: I've met Natalie a couple of times, but Jennifer's like, I feel like we'd be bff.
Speaker 3: Jennifer, she seems like so cool when I talked to her, or like when I would be warming up last year, she was always sitting pitchside and I'd be like hi, and she'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I love that. Okay, go to La restaurant.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm this one's This one's a hole in the wall. Well maybe not a hole in the wall, but it's underground. It's right in Woodland Hills in the valley called Monty's Steakhouse. Okay, Old unassuming, would never think to go in there, so every time.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know favorite store to splurjet.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I will say since moving to La I have become a chopoholic, really bad.
Speaker 2: You got to keep up with the girlies on your team.
Speaker 1: They are like bringing the fits and I'm trying.
Speaker 3: Honestly. The mall, which is like five minutes away from me, has every store imaginable, so I just walk in there.
Speaker 2: It's a whole mall.
Speaker 1: Uh. And then final, one notable celebrity encounter outside of your own team's owners.
Speaker 3: I actually haven't had that many. But I did see Simon Cowell. Okay, that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Did he look crouchy?
Speaker 3: No, we actually seemed really happy.
Speaker 1: I'm good. Maybe it's just a persona for television, I think so. Well, it was so nice to get to know you. Congrats on the success. It's been really fun to watch angel City have such a great start and we look forward to watching more this season.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks again to Angelina for taking the time. We got to take another.
Speaker 1: Break when we return to quote Sam, muis are you having an okay time?
Speaker 2: No? Actually, I'm unwell, stick around. I'll explain welcome Max Slices.
Speaker 1: Heads up to all of our Minnesota Aurora FC investors, Your Aurora Times. Good game hats are finally on the way to you all thanks to number one unpaid assistant husband, Brad, who helped me stuff and label and ship all sixty something of them this weekend when we were both finally home.
Speaker 2: So he's the real MVP, and I.
Speaker 1: Apologize for committing to that, but the hat's around the way.
Speaker 2: That's the most important part.
Speaker 1: We always love that you're listening slices, but we want you to get in the game every day. So here's your good game play of the day. We are rapidly approaching our two hundredth episode, Holy Shit, and we're planning to both celebrate our loyal listeners and help new slices rookies seedlings if you will catch up on what they've missed. So, if you were talking to a new listener, what would you tell them they need to know about the show? What terms belong in the Good Game of Sarah's Bang glossary, What are the top two episodes you might have them listen to to help them get to know our vibe. And whether you're an OG slice or a new listener. We also want to hear if you've got questions about the show. Things we do that you don't get, Things we say that you don't get. We want to know those as well. We might even read your submission on the show. So send them to us at Good Game at wondermediaetwork dot com. Don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's easy. Watch the NWSL supporters group rating zero out of five stars.
Speaker 2: What are we doing here? Review?
Speaker 1: NWSL Commissioner Jessica Berman has announced that part of the league's new partnership with Call Her Daddy podcast host Alex Cooper and her hangover drink, Unwell is something Berman's calling a quote league supporters group called unwell FC end quote. She compared it to Natalie Portman or Jennifer Garner leading the supporters group at Angel City FC games, except you know, those two are owners of Angel City and therefore supporters of Angel City, while these Cooper led supporter sections at games will be rooting for I guess the league or the game of soccer, or both teams having fun. I love big swings that I love trying to appeal to a new audience. But this is not only not very well thought out, but has also upset actual supporters groups who feel like the league completely misunderstands its fan base. I'm kind of curious to see what happens when the so called league supporters groups first hit a game. Will they sit with the supporters group of the home team somewhere else, Will they chant, play music, or otherwise interact with the game in a way that competes with the home supporters group. Who or what exactly will they be cheering for, and what will the response from fans be like? I do want to point out that I understand that in women's sport there are a lot of people that like support the whole league and want all the teams to succeed and all the players to succeed, But that just doesn't really translate to being in a stadium cheering for an abstract thing. Again, I hope both teams have fun. Is kind of a funny thing to say, but hard to put it to practice in a supporters group. If you want to hear more about this, and specifically from some of the supporters' groups that are a little chuffed about it, Meglenahan and Tamara Griffin hosts a full time with Meg Linahan. Did a great episode where they actually reached out to some of those folks so you could check it out.
Speaker 2: It's their April sixteenth episode. Now it's your turn.
Speaker 1: Y'all rate and review, give us five stars, say something nice, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Good Game, Angelina, Good Game, Oklahoma gymnasticsk you back Injuries. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm your host Sarah Spain