Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Welcome back to she Pivots. I'm Carolyn Tisch Blodgett.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Welcome back to she Pivots, the podcast where women share bold career moves and personal turning points that changed everything. I'm your host, Emily Tisch Sussman. There is exactly one guest I bring back on this show every season, same person, different pivots.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Every single year.
Emily Tisch Sussman: We're back with our annual she Pivots episode with my sister. Carolyn Tish Blodgett is the CEO and founder of Next Three, our family sports investment fund. She represents our family's ownership at the New York Giants. She's the governor of Gotham FC, New York and New Jersey's women's soccer team, and the first ever chair of the Executive Committee of the National Women's Soccer League. And this past year, the team she's been building at Gotham won the championship again. She got here by her own three kid pivot after building the brand at Peloton. But for that story, you're going to have to go back to her episode from twenty twenty three. We do this interview every year because I want the real time version of what it takes to build a women's sports brand, not just the highlight reel, the bet, the doubt, the wins, the parts nobody sees. This is Carolyn Tish Blodgett, and this is how she pivots again.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: What is your name and what do you do? I'm Carolyn Tisch Blodgett, CEO and founder of Next three. I oversee all of our sports investments. I'm the governor of Gotham FC, and I work with our family at the Giants as an advisor to ownership. And how do we know each other?
Emily Tisch Sussman: Oh?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: And you're my sister. This is now our annual interview fel so honored.
Emily Tisch Sussman: The reason we keep having you back on is not just because you keep pivoting, but also because we've been tracking the progression of Gotham from the beginning, Like we've done this every season now of like, how do you think about owning a women's sports team?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: What is the landscape?
Emily Tisch Sussman: And it's evolved every year, So how do you think about owning a women's sports team? Because you really run Gotham, how has it evolved?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: I think when I came on this podcast last year, I was just about to become the first ever chair of the executive committee, which is kind of chair of the league. I think we were like late breaking news on the podcast. We broke it, Yes, we broke it here breaking news. I'm still here now. It's a two year role, so next year I will be breaking news of pivoting away from that. There wasn't such an easy decision to take on that role because it is a lot of work. I think we know. I've like I've built brands before.
Carolyn: I used to run marketing and peloton, so I know what it takes to be successful at the kind of what is in front of me. These are the steps we need to do to be successful at the local level. But our success at Gotham really hinges on the league being successful. I think all of us collectively, and part of what's interesting about being on the board is as much as we compete on the field, it really is is a group of people that believe in the collective and we all work together because we all know each of us is only going to be successful in our own markets if the league is successful. So that was kind of the decision to spend time on the league. As I think about how I spend my time on league things, some of it's like very in the weeds and probably not that interesting on the podcast, But I think at a macro level, we are coming up on our next media deal. Getting more people, getting the casual sports fan and a lighter user of the product into our games in a more regular way is job number one. Part of our thesis, and in investing in Gotham was a bet that we have the best product in the world if you're talking about women's soccer, really soccer in general. This is one of the best products in the world, but not enough people are currently fans today. So we want to go grow that and I think we've seen a lot of that success, but I think we're still really at the tip of the iceberg in terms of how big this league can grow, and so all our eyes are on this next media deal, really getting more eyeballs on the product. And can you actually explain what the media deal is and why it's significant. We're only in the first ever media deal for the entire league, right what was before that? So this is the second one, the original media deal. The games are on Lifetime TV. Personally love Lifetime TV, but not really your destination for like I'm just laying on the couch looking for a sports game, where can I find it? So this current media deal that we're in was really revolutionary. At the time, it was forty times what the last one was. The league actually has to pay for production, so a lot of times like you're losing money actually to even get your games on TV. So now we are on multiple channels, we are paid at a much higher rate. Again, I think that number will go up. It's kind of a balance of how much you're paid and how much access you have. The discoverability is challenging if you think about, like when the NFL moved Thursday Nights to Amazon Prime, that took hundreds of millions of dollars to train consumers like Thursday night, I watched the NFL on Prime, and so we are on Prime on Friday nights. We're still training the consumer to realize that, figuring out the right balance of reach, discoverability, and who are the partners that are going to really lean in and help us grow this.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Before this media deal, when it was just on Lifetime, not every game was aired right. So if you like went to a game and you're like, oh, this is so fun, I start following, you can't find a lot of that couldn't right, and that's still the case. Not all of our games are aired today, So we have as a league product called the End of Yourself plus app. It exists so you can at least to your point, like if you're a really avid fan, you can find all of our games.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Even for our own games.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Like when we talk about like discoverability, the amount of texts that go on game day, mainly from mom who's like I can't figure out what the game is on. I can't even find it. It's like it's like go through all of them. Even when you go into any of our channels, even if you start searching the keywords like NWSL Gotham Soccer.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: It doesn't always show up. You have to search like twenty different names.
Carolyn: I think as teams, we could do a much better job of promoting where our games are. I think that's back to the kind of building the habits. Like ESPN will be in a more regular cycle where we're on ESPN every Sunday night, so then we'll start to build the habit and the teams and the league can do a much better job of like building those habits and pushing people there. And then to your point, on discoverability within it. That's where I go back to, like, who are the right partners that are really going to invest with us and really want to see us be successful.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: I would point to the Championship. It was on CBS.
Carolyn: It broke a million viewers, first time we've had over a million viewers on Championship or any of our games, and CBS was.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Thrilled with it. They really wanted to lean in.
Carolyn: When we lean in with our partners and we have the right broadcast people there and all that, we get the results. And so now going into the season, we're having great conversations with all of our partners, but in particular them to say how do we build off of that championship number and continue to grow that into the next year.
Emily Tisch Sussman: We had a talking circle at Gloria Steinem's house a couple of weeks ago, and one of the things that came out of that conversation was that women's yo worts is in the zeitgeist. When we had this conversation two years ago, it was not. So that feels really different now, like two three years later. The ownership of women's sports is seen by a lot of male investors as an incredible investment, and they're moving fast, and they're taking up all the allocations of these investments, and so a lot of these women's sports teams and sports leagues are actually getting gobbled up by the mail investors who who are like purely in it for the numbers, and the women investors who are moving a little slower and maybe don't have the confidence to be in sports are getting edged out.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: This has now become like a new passion to find.
Emily Tisch Sussman: We are having right now the great wealth transfer where our generation, the generation above us are making a lot more money inheriting a lot more money, like need to diversify and think about how to invest, and women are not necessarily looking at sports in that same way.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: How is that playing out for you? Is this true?
Emily Tisch Sussman: Like, are you finding that these male investors are like moving fast and taking up all the allocation. Are you having other conversations with women who could be going into sports investment, in sports ownership?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: What are those conversations look like.
Carolyn: Obviously there's many less female owners than there are male across men's and women's sports. Wealthy individuals that could become investors in sports, that's probably where the conversation needs to happen. So whether it is like their advisors, their family offices, whoever is advising them to start to have those conversations around do you want to be sports owner?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Is that interesting to you?
Emily Tisch Sussman: Like?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: These are the teams we should look at.
Carolyn: Women's sports being seen as an investable asset is a very good thing for women's sports. There is a good return on an investment in women's sports. That was our thesis. I've spent the past two years trying to get people to see that, and I think when you see private equity funds coming into women's sports, that's a good thing.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: That means that people see that there's a return.
Carolyn: Before it was seen as an investment asset, it was seen as a charity. And you don't want to be a charity because a charity means it's not taken seriously. It means funding gets pulled when you change your mind. That's not the gross story of women's sports. The growth story is an investment class. The back of private equity firms want to invest in women's sports is a good thing and I think we'll continue to drive valuations up. It will continue to drive real investments into women's sports, including the end of yoursel. Your point that I agree with is the like, why don't more women see themselves as owners? And I don't think that's really on the league. By the time it gets to us and we're reviewing, you know, expansion bids or potential investors, that's probably too late. I think what you're saying, which I agree with, is like the advisors, the bankers who are talking to these people about you just inherited XYZ fortune. How do you want to spend your money? That's probably where the conversation should be had around do you want to invest?
Emily Tisch Sussman: You are someone who said we're going to go into this space before other people.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah.
Carolyn: I mean there's a fair amount of women now that are NFL owners. There are some that are MBA, so I think it's changing. I was just talking to a potential investor in an expansion team and I said, you know someone I like a lot of Admira a lot, And I said, obviously, I personally would love to see you in the league. I think you'd add a lot of value. But you have to go in eyes wide open. This is a long term investment. Our evaluation is tripled I think since we've come into the league, so clearly there is a return there, but it's a lot of time, it's a lot of unglamorous work. This is not a passive investment. If you're looking for a straight, simple return, go buy a stock.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: This is not that you've talked about that.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You're in partnership meetings like sponsorship meetings all the time, and this is for women's sports broadly, and you're also in them for the giants as well. So you see that in like established men's sports brands, it's not the same conversation necessarily in both. It's better than it used to be in women's sports, but it's not necessarily the same.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah, it's interesting.
Carolyn: What's nice is I think there's a growing number of brands that totally get it and are ready to lean in and they see the Roi CarMax our front of Kit sponsor I would put high on that list of took a bet on us when they became our front of Kit sponsor in twenty twenty three and have continued to see that bet payoff. They look at their return on their marketing spend with Gotham versus any other male sports team, and it's a better investment and they see that. I think looking at like in investment in Gotham versus an NFL team, for example, the eyeballs can't compare an average NFL game is getting, you know, seventeen million, twenty million people to watch like a very average game. We're not obviously getting that. We just broke a million for the championship. What we have is a much deeper engagement. Our fans are much more engaged in the product, and in particular, we see a much higher recall rate for our sponsors. We see a much higher shift to brand loyalty than women's sports. I think our consumers deeply understand that our partners are key to our success, and so they are much more likely to shift their spend and spend with a partner than they typically do in men's sports. Much more of a data story. It's more work on our partnership team and for us to sell that. But for the brands that get it, then they really get it and they're really seeing the benefit. So there are definitely still brands that we talk to that maybe they don't want to do the like under the tent looking to understand a difference between the different partners. They're just kind of looking to put their name on something and like logo slap and see where.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: It goes, Like check a women's sports box exactly.
Carolyn: Certain brands don't want to talk to us at all, and they're like, what's a women's soccer team?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: I have no interest.
Carolyn: Other brands I think are starting to feel a little pressure to have a women's sports strategy, but it does feel a little bit like a check the box. The investment they're willing to make is so small and they don't even really want to engage. It's like, we want our partners to be there on game day and show up and do stuff with our players, and when you're checking a box, you just don't end up wanting to do that.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Coming up, we dig deeper into how you build a team people recognize on the other side of the world the night Gotham flew to Kansas City with every single odds stacked against them, and why the locker room of the future has an L shaped entrance.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: We'll get there right after the break.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Coming back to this broader goal that you articulated from the beginning, that Gotham will be the first global brand in women's sports, and those individual athletes, female athletes, primarily tennis that people recognize anywhere in the world where there's no women's team and that will be Gotham. How has that vision played out? So it really does start with the product on the fields. If you think about all those teams that have become global brands, and I would probably put Kansas City Chiefs in that, you know, in its recent era in the NFL, but the Dallas Cowboys in their era been like the like.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: People in England love the Dolphins because that's funny.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I know, it's so funny because that's when they started airing the NFL, right when.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: They were good. Yeah, exactly.
Carolyn: You see a lot of La Dodgers fans like hats around when you're like walking around in other countries. So if you think about these brands, which I have all been men's to date, that have all become these big global brands, it does start with winning. And winning is when a casual fan comes in. It is then on us as stewards are the bran to convert them into lifelong fans. And so we'll talk about that, but it does start with winning. And so last year we won the championship. Great job, congratulations. So the celebrating of the championship was really important to that.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: So we won championship.
Carolyn: It was critically important to me, to our whole team that if we won, when we won, that we celebrated this team like the champions that they are, and that we took the exact playbook of how men's teams are celebrated in New York. We went really deep, like screen by screen of the YouTube video that we found of the Giants parade to make sure down to what was the seating at City Hall, to make sure you know, we do we really followed it like as much as we could, because again, if you're going to be this first global women's brand, we have to take a page from the men's book. They celebrate champions well and we need to follow that same playbook. So first on the business side was really being championship ready. Then how do we convert these moment in time fans into lifelong fans of the team. And so we relaunched our season ticket membership called the Blueprint.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Now, so if you think about what.
Carolyn: Season ticket memberships look like in sports, it's always been about just access to tickets because in a world before a secondary ticket market, the only way to get like Giants' tickets for a long time, the buildings sold out. There's no stub hubver or feet Geek, and so the only way to have tickets was to be a season ticket member. Now, in a world of secondary ticket markets, the ticketing part of it doesn't matter as much, and so it's much more about joining a community. So our bet on creating a Blueprint was to reimagine season ticket membership to really be about joining a community. And so the blueprint is only the first five thousand members. You get a fancy jacket with your number on it. We will one day, you know, memorialize it physically. You know, if you drop out of being a season ticket member, we're not going to replace you as that number. You will always be one of the original five thousand people that got this team to what hopefully one day will be a multi billion dollar team. And so we've made decisions like that that were really deliberate in taking that great product and that great moment of winning the championship and translating that into what we hope is lifelong fandom.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: And by the way, the jacket is popping off.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I went to the Sirens game right after the Blueprint Jackets were mailed on like Thursday. I went to the Sirens game on Sunday and there were a lot of people wearing blueprint jackets. I couldn't believe how quickly they had turned it around and how proud they were to be wearing them, which I also think points to how a fan of women's sports can be different than a fan of men's sports.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah, it's interesting.
Carolyn: So we have a bunch of different types of target audiences in our fans. Some are kind of core soccer loyalists, love the sport of soccer and this is a great product. They love that there is a group, as you said, of kind of women's sports fans, and they really believe in kind of the broader role they are playing in lifting women's sports up. They love the vibe, they think it's really fun. They're going to wear that jacket proudly. They are proud supporters. It's actually kind of a page out of our Peloton book is early on, when you did your hundredth ride, you got this T shirt.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: You couldn't buy it.
Carolyn: The only way you could get this T shirt was is if you did one hundred rides. And our head of I think member experience was this title at the time built out a model of like if we got really big, which was the hope, how expensive it was going to be free. It's like free T shirts? How could you give away so many free T shirts? But John, our founder, thought this was the worst advice he'd ever gotten.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: He's like, what are you talking about? Like this is gold.
Carolyn: The fact that somebody is so proud to be a part of your community that they're going to wear this T shirt dropping their kids at school, walking down the street, That is exactly what we want to be doing. And so the Blueprint jacket was kind of that same idea. It was super expensive, and we did look at a model of how expensive five thousand of those would be. But the bet was that people are going to be so proud to be a part of Gotham that they're going to go to a Sirens game, They're going to a Liberty game, They're going to walk down the street wearing that jacket and tell all of their friends about how proud they are to be a part of Gotham.
Emily Tisch Sussman: And it's definitely working, Like I feel like I now get daily texts from people of like a random person they took a picture of on the street like a gothamat wearing a Gotham sweatshirt.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: I had lunch today at the American Girls Store, not too Bragh. I was there.
Emily Tisch Sussman: One of the women who works there saw my Gotham necklace and she immediately was like, olhways that the women's soccer team.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Wow. Cool? And I was like, have you been to a game yet? And she's like no.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I go to a lot of Liberty games and my friends are all Liberty season ticket holders and there was a ticket bundle with Gotham and so my friends got tickets to Gotham and I can't wait to go.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: I love that. Yes, I've been waiting to tell you this the whole time you've been here. But tell the story. I'm thrilled, you know.
Carolyn: Sometimes I feel like last year we're just all about testing, tried a million different things to see what's stuck. And so obviously we're still kind of collecting the data and some things that was clear we were better than others, but it's always helpful to hear the anecdote of like, oh, yeah, it worked great.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So that also is part of being in New York and part of building the brain is like leading into culture in New York, the general fans of women's sports like a lot of it is like millennial moms. It's like people like us who were just looking for a great irl, no screen experience, things that feel safe and positive to experience with their kids. But beyond people who are looking first, there's a big push this year to move into broader culture, particularly grounded in New York schleppin players all over the city. How is this part of the strategy. I feel like it's important to articulate.
Carolyn: To me, this is critical to our success to be able to break through nationally and then globally. To break through, you have to be a part of culture. So I was actually just interviewing someone and we were talking about marketers that can steal share from other brands. So like a Pepsi coke again, you know, like you're a soda drinker. You're gonna drink a soda? Are you gonna drink a Pepsi or a coke? Do you clar for godtect people who know that you did used to work at Pepsi, Yes I did. I just like haven't talked with Pepsi in fifteen years, but here we are talking about today.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: I did.
Carolyn: But anyway, if you're like looking for a soda, you're going to drink a pepsi or a coke or other marketers have a I think, more exciting challenge of audience creation. And that was our job at Peloton. No one was waking up saying like, I wonder what at home spin bike I should buy. We had to go create the audience. That is our job at Gotham, and our job at the end of your Celle I think is to go create the audience. People aren't waking up saying which women's soccer teams should I be a fan of? Sitting here in New York, they're saying, like, what should I do for this weekend? And we need to get Gotham like higher on that list and then get them to a game or to watch on TV. Breaking into culture in other parts of New York and other parts of society is very high to me on that list, because that is how we're going to get other audiences to be aware and then eventually to come into our games. So you've done, obviously a great job of getting us into the fashion where like all of New York culture, we have the World's Cup coming this summer, and so that is a massive opportunity for us to break into culture. We're going to have the global epicenter of soccer happening in our backyard.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: So we've been.
Carolyn: Very deliberate and how we're going to break into that. The Men's World Cup, Yes, Men's World Cup, Yeah, so it is I mean New York especially, we're hosting eight games, including the final. When you're an upstart brand, like we couldn't go create our own FanFest during the World's Cup.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: That's you know, cost millions of dollars.
Carolyn: But we've been working really closely with the host committee and the sponsor brands to say, ohko, you're going to have this great watch party in Central Park and Queen's. Can Gotham show up and be a part of that? Can we get our players into things? So we're going to be kind of pushing in wherever we can. From an end of your Celle perspective, the league will stop playing for June because there's not enough stadium availability, and then in July the league will start again, so we won't have access to our own stadium where we normally play. And the league came to us and as we're creating schedule, I assume you want to be away for July because you're not going to have your stadium. And we got together as a team and said, well, yes, that is what makes sense on paper. But what if we actually leaned in and said, no, everyone's going to be in New York for soccer, Let's play a game in New York during that week kind of leading up to the World Cup. Let's be creative, let's play somewhere else. So we have made the decision to play the Wednesday before the World Cup.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Final at City Field.
Carolyn: First time Gotham will have ever played in a baseball stadium, first time we've ever played at this scale in New York City.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: This will be right where the.
Carolyn: Mets play, right where the tennis stadium is. Couldn't be easier to access. It opens up Long Island, it opens up Westchester, all of New York. So we're super excited. And again there's going to be fans to the point of like building a global brand, fans of soccer from all over the world, and we are inserting ourselves into that and hoping that people will add a Gotham game to their soccer tour.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: While they're in New York.
Emily Tisch Sussman: With the Men's FIFA World Cup, bringing the summer of soccer to the US. Gotham FC will be participating in a new creative way, a women's soccer game at City Field. Gotham will face the Washington Spirit in a rematch of the twenty twenty five NWSL Championship on July fifteenth, and it's going to set the record for the largest women's sporting event in New York City history.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: So now we're going to go back to the championship. We technically closed.
Emily Tisch Sussman: The deal before the twenty twenty three championship when Gotham won, so we were technically the owners of twenty train three but had been in the room for like four minutes. And then in twenty twenty four we made it to the semifinals, lost and penalty kicks. Twenty twenty five this past year. This is the business team that you built. This is the soccer team that you built. This is the team that you managed. I'm going to try talking about this. You won.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Oh, thank you one that I like this. You're crying every time I think You're like, I know, like this is your team. How does that feel? Gosh?
Carolyn: I feel like now I have to take myself mentally back there, it does feel different than twenty twenty three. I feel like my brain thinks about the championship in two different ways.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: On the one hand, to.
Carolyn: Your point about losing penalty cakes, you could argue, we have a really good team. I mean, we won in twenty twenty three, we lost some penalty kicks in twenty twenty four, and then we won in twenty twenty five.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Like some people would call that a dynasty. I think you got to win.
Carolyn: Another to colour said she did the great superd Yeah, yeah, I'll go with her on that. So on the one end, you could say this team that was built before our time, credit our coach Juan Carlos, our general manager a l Abrabush West. They have built an incredible team, incredible roster, and we're kind of in our dynasty era and we need to capitalize on that. On the other hand, last year was really challenging and a lot of way we had to make a lot of really difficult roster decisions quickly at the beginning of twenty twenty five, every time we announced that a player was leaving. Our fans are really like loyal fans that really understand the team.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Were you know, what is y L doing? Why is she the general manager? This is terrible. She should be fired.
Carolyn: We had to band together and put our head down and say, like, this might look like a bad idea in the outside, but we know this is the right thing for our team. I give you L a lot of credit for being able to put our head down and do what was right for the team then, and from my perspective, coming off of the twenty twenty four loss, I hadn't really deliberately set what our culture should be, and it showed and we said we want to be the first global women's soccer brand. Like how that showed up in the day to day really wasn't clear. And so in the off season from twenty four to twenty five, we very deliberately set out what our mission was, what our vision was, and most importantly, what our values were, and brought that to the team and our player leadership Council was a part of it. It was my vision, but it was very much a collaborative effort. We quite literally spray painted them on the wall, made a lot of difficult decisions, set what our culture was, and then our performance on the field was bumpy all year and there was really a narrative around us of who is this team? Do we underperform? It looks like we have a lot of pieces, but it doesn't seem like it's all clicking together. What's the problem. And so going into the playoffs, at one point we were as high as ranked fourth, which from a business perspective, having a home playoff game is very different than having an away playoff game. There's no revenue sharing in the league, so when you have a home playoff game, you can make money.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: When you have an away playoff game, you lose money.
Carolyn: Just to put it simply, we were planning for a home playoff game, ready with our list to go out in our marketing, and then we lost in North Carolina the week before. We drop all the way down to eighth place, and it meant that we had to go face Kansas City current the number one team in the league, and not just a number one team in the league, the number.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: One team that the league had ever had.
Carolyn: The top of the table to the bottom of the table is usually really tight.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Not this year.
Carolyn: Kansas City run away winning the shield, which is like the regular season, most number of goals scored, least number of goals allowed, any stat they broke it, and Gotham had just come off the worst game we've ever played.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: And Kansas City had never lost at home.
Carolyn: Kis City had never lost at home since yet like eighteen months or something like that. Gossam had never beaten Kansas City. I mean, it was like every single odds stacked against us. My friend I get my eyebrows done at her house sometimes, and I was sitting there getting my eyebrows down with her the Friday before the game, and I was like, oh.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: My god, we to go to Kansas City.
Carolyn: And I was like, oh, I think we have to charter a plane because the government shut down.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Can we afford this?
Carolyn: I'm debating with my lovely friend and I said, I was like, Okay, if we lose, I'm gonna be really annoyed that we charted this plane. But if we win, I think we're gonna win the championship. And obviously, you know, we went in kidsity we win the whole thing. But she did texting and she's like, thank god you came for eyebrows. Thank god you chartered that plane because it really helped. They're also the only team that has their own stadium, and so most games you go to, including our games. We try to make it feel like a home game, but it still feels like we're a tenant in someone else's stadium. Kansas City, and I give one hundred per cent credit to the Longs, the owners there, who really had the vision of how much to invest in their women's team. They built this amazing stadium. I mean the entire town of Kansas City. It feels like you're in the current hometown.
Emily Tisch Sussman: The whole neighborhood has like sides of the buildings with the players faces on it.
Archival: Right. It is like home field advantage like I've never seen in this league before. And it's also freezing cold, which I think we're a little bit used to, but they're really used to. So windy, the stadiums sold out. Their fans are on their feet screaming,
Emily Tisch Sussman: the whole Ted Lasso cast is there
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Oh right, the whole ted last cast is there everywhere?
Emily Tisch Sussman: Right.
Carolyn: They're also filming the end of re Cell documentary and they're featuring Kansas City. They're not featuring Gotham, so they have no interest in showing us, And I think it gave us the freedom to a prove the world wrong that they'd gotten the story wrong about Gotham, and obviously Jaden Shaw had the famous quote of underdogs my ass.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: After, which is perfect.
Carolyn: But I think it gave us as a team the freedom to just be who we are, because if we had lost, no one would have bet a night Side World would have said, obviously Kansas City just had some steps on their way to go win the championship, and we were just one of the steps. I felt like the night before, you know, in our team meeting, we all had this feeling of we could go lose and everyone would say, yeah, got them at a kind of mediocre season, or we could really band together and show everyone the best version of ourselves and we know that the best version of ourselves can beat anyone.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: And then we did welcome everyone to the NWSL Championship. It's the number two seed Washington Spirit getting ready to take on number eight seed.
Archival: Gotham FC, Nothing got them in the NWSL Championship. Bing up the confetti from what was a grand party down Broadway and on the steps of City Hall to celebrate the twenty twenty five NWSL champions, Gotham FC.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: We stand here as twenty twenty five NWSL champions.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So we won now so now it's all great, right?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: So. Definitely, for twenty four hours it felt amazing. City Hall was amazing. This is a very privileged position to be in, to be winning, and we would much rather be winning than not winning. So let me just be very clear about that. We were very quick to add that second star to our crest. But in soccer, soccer is a global game, and so with success comes entry into all these other global tournaments. And again to the conversation of we want to be a global brand, like this is again a privilege. This is where we want to be.
Carolyn: We want to be in all these tournaments, but it is definitely a strain on our players and a strain on our staff. So because we won the CONCACAF tournament last year, the first ever CONCACAF tournament, we represented the CONCACAF region which is like the America, Central and North America in FIFA's first ever what they called the Women's Champions Cup basically at Club World Cup, and so it was best teams from around the world, all competing to be the best team in the world.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Again, a privilege. We wanted to be there. We earned our right to be the ones representing North and Central America, but it was during our off season. We had a really short off season, especially because we won the championship, so it's even shorter our players, our staff really didn't get to recharge in the same way that they typically would. For those of us that are on the planning end of it, we had no off season because we're planning for the preseason to be able to go into that and so we'll be in the CONCACAFT Tournament again this year. Again, these are all tournaments we want to be in. We very much believe we should be in. If you want to be able to global brand, which we do, you have to be in these tournaments. I think we have something like fourteen extra games compared to everyone else, and that's a lot, or twelve maybe, So we think a lot about the mental health of our staff, our players, assuming that there are going to be levels of burnout that we just have never seen. No team in the end of our sale has played as many games as we will play this year.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Oh that's crazy.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah, that's I just said that for the first time out loud. But I think it's true because we were in the feed for tournament. We are in the CONCA CALFF champion like semi finals and hopefully championship from twenty twenty five, and then we're also in next year's CONCACAFT tournament in the fall since we won last year's and the Resale championship, so we are in three different tournaments on the same time as we're playing our regular season. And we have so many international players that play for their country and we're in a year before the World Cup. They're all trying to compete for spots on their national team rosters, so it's not like in the off breaks that they're getting a break. They're now working as hard as they've ever worked trying to get on the World Cup roster. So it is a lot. Again, it's a good problem to have. It's where we want to be, but it comes with challenges.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Women's sports are on the rise and nobody is expecting the hype to slow down anytime soon, but there are still leaps and bounds that need to be made while the world catches up. Resources like facilities are crucial for women's sports teams to thrive, which is why Gotham FC just announced that we're building our very own new practice facility. Will dive into why that's so important right after the break be right back. There has been this arms race for facilities, which was a little unexpected when we walked into this three years ago and very exciting we now have the opportunity to do it ourselves.
Carolyn: We're super excited about this long overdue. I take our player feedback very seriously. When we came into twenty twenty three, I think there was not a great relationship between ownership and players. I think they've been promised things over and over that didn't come through, including not having a celebration when they won in twenty twenty three. So one of the first things I did when we came in as new owners was I asked l R. General Manager for the phone number of each of our players and the team, even the ones that we're leaving, and I called every single one personally and said, I'm Carolyn, I'm the new owner. We're going to do things differently. Here's my cell phone number. We can only be as good as the feedback we get. Call me text me anytime if you have any feedback. I think Yell was horrified that she was like, You're going to call all of them like I am. And so now fast forward to today. I have a player Leadership Council. Any player knows that they can call me, and they do at any time with any feedback. But I have a very deliberate relationship with the player Leaderseral Council, basically like the captains who bring feedback to meet. So facilities has always been a sore spot with our staff and with our players. So actually back to the culture point before, we had one hundred percent of our players coming out of twenty twenty five recommended Gotham to others. Wow, never seen a statistic like that before. Again, coming out of a very challenging twenty twenty four, it was really unbelievable. One hundred percent of players that took the service said that they would recommend Gotham
Emily Tisch Sussman: And we've had very few players leave, but the ones that did are very sad to go.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yes, yeah, obviously, you know that's the difficulty of sport is sometimes you have to make a decision that's right for you personally. It feels like a funeral every time they leave
Emily Tisch Sussman: every time
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Tears, and you know, we just very sad. Our players are now super happy. Obviously we can continue to get better, but we've really invested in a player experience always building, never finished, always building, and actually always building, never finished.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So we're literally building,
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: but literally building. Yes, the facilities was the one area that we hear consistently from our players that needs to get better and from our staff. We're going to continue to raise the bar and we're not going to raise the bar across everything at any moment. You know, we have to go kind of one by one. But when we raise the bar, we are never going to go back to what it was before. You know, medical used to be a really negative spot for us. We ended up hiring great medical director. Anytime in the future, there might be dips, but we will never go back to what it looked like before. And so facilities again, we will never go back to what it looks like. So I've been trying to kind of take pictures. Along the way. When the rookie class comes in the year after our facility is done and they're like, oh, yeah, cool, you have like your own four field and you just drive in and park and showers when you want them, Like, I just want them all to remember what it used to look like. So when I go to our offices now there's no privacy, there's nowhere to have a conversation. So yeah, Ella and I will often meet in her car, the only place of a private conversation, and that's the only private place. I'm like, let's just take a picture of this and remember this. When we have our beautiful office, you will know where we came from to the point of always been never finish. It is always going to feel like there is more work to be done. You know, I said our players are happy today, they might not be happy tomorrow. There will always be things that can be improving. That's part of being at a growth team. I think that's what's exciting about it. But it's very important to me that we are always continuing to raise the bar and we will never go back to what it looks like before. So this is something we've been looking at since we came in. It was clear to us really quickly, you know, once we became owners that the facility was not good enough. Even before there was an arms race of facilities. These are professional athletes that need to be treated as such and this is not it. So what we currently have is we rent the academy field from Red Bulls, so it's normally used for their academy, meaning like their young boys to see it like their teenagers that play for them, and then we come in and rent it. We don't have our own locker room there, we don't. Have meeting space there, and so then we took over this warehouse down the street, and that's where our locker rooms are, that's where our gym is, where the team lifts, that's where our meetings are, that's where our equipment is. And so the players and staff have to just drive back and forth between the two and it's just this logistical headache and just not a real experience of a professional athlete. So we have decided to take over the Red Bulls facility. They're moving somewhere else and so we will have their entire facility now, which is massive, four field as I said before, huge indoor space. We're still in the design phase, but an incredible upgrade and having our own facility that we can control when we practice, we can control when we have team meetings, the privacy of going in the gym and it just being ours will all feel completely different than where we were before. And just to be really thoughtful, like the difference between building for women's team and our men's team, you know, the fact that like the locker rooms will have an L shaped entrance, so it's not like totally open to it. When we were at the championship game in San Jose, we went the day before when the players were practicing there and I was like, I just want to see the locker room.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Going into the locker room. Where our players were preparing for the championship game, One, there were just a ton of urinals. I was like, someone some flowers and plays. And two the players had to walk by a gigantic wall of stinky shoes and it's like, who stinky shoes are these? And they said, oh, it's the academy the teenagers of the men's team for the champion
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: exactly,
Emily Tisch Sussman: And. Said are they going to be here tomorrow? And they are,
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yes, they were,
Emily Tisch Sussman: And the answer was they were, like they left up the stinky teenage boys shoes for the championship.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah. It's really hard not to feel like an unwanted tenant in every stadium we play, and even when we're wanted, it's just your tenant. And so having our own space, to your point that will be for women, even just being thoughtful around where is the coach's locker room versus the player's locker room. How much privacy do we want versus how much do we want? A community space? Where is the mother's room, where it's like the social content room. A lot of our players do things kind of on the outside to help build the brands. How do we support them in that so it will just be so deliberately for women, which will feel so different. I was talking to Tyrna Davidson, one of our captains oh at the Glorious Steinem and she was saying, you know, it's super important to her is that it's clearly designed for women. And she used just a silly example of when they go into like a men's locker room, the bathrooms usually don't have garbages, and in any women's bathroom, obviously you would put a garbage can there, and it just doesn't occur to them. From details like that all the way through to what beautiful branding can we put on the outside, it will hopefully feel very deliberately designed for women. And for Gotham.
Emily Tisch Sussman: When we played in an international tournament CONCACAF last year at CONCA CAF in Monterey, Mexico, I remember them telling us that the players can't like take a bathroom break during so they have to just like go before and like go at halftime, and they didn't have enough bathrooms for them all to go during halftime and make it.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Oh, because they're like only used to having urinels, I guess?
Emily Tisch Sussman: yeah, right. It was it a thirty six person roster.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah, that's crazy
Emily Tisch Sussman: And it was like, I don't know how they did it, like prioritized by urgency. That's a problem.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Totally. Yes, our Player Leadership Council will be a part of the process, our key members of our staff will be part of it. So we're going to be very no stone unturned, deliberate in hearing all like the pain points people have had and making sure to bring those through, and also being really eyes wide open that what good looks like today in twenty twenty six is probably different than what good looks like in twenty eight, in thirty and beyond that. So we also want to leave some flexibility, Like we don't want to build this perfect state of the art facility today that will never need to be evolved.
Carolyn: We want it to be very flexible because the game is growing so quickly, evolving so quickly that we want to be able to be flexible and like grow into it as well.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You've been advising our family and representing our family and the Giants for years longer than we've been involved in Gotham. So what have you learned that you can take from the Giants, Either things that we can like directly apply.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Or the opposite.
Carolyn: I think the biggest thing that sticks out to me about the Giants or any NFL team is there's this incredible history the Giants to celebrate their one hundred anniversary last year. Fandom is passed down through the generation. I mean people, you know, I don't tell you this, like we'll stop you on the street if you're wearing a Giant shirt, Like, oh, my grandfather a season ticket member, and then my dad became a season.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Ticket member, and now I'm a season ticket member.
Carolyn: And so from a fan engagement perspective, you really have to honor the tradition of that. But also, I think for a long time you didn't really have to think that much about like what I would call fan acquisition because fandom was intergenerational, like it came from the top and was passed down. For Gotham, we had the opposite of that, where there are no fans being passed down. It is all new, so nothing's being handed to us from Gotham. Soccer is the number one sport being played at the grassroots level, at the rec level, for children, at youth level. So all these kids are going out on the weekends playing soccer, their parents are standing there on the sidelines, and then they're coming home and no one's actually thought about what team they should root for. One of the things that I think we've had to do differently is be able to bring that fandom from the ground up and be able to then say, like, how do you actually get the youth participants to convince their parents to become fans, and that actually, I think it's some we've been able to bring to the Giants in their flag strategy. I'm obsessed with black football and I think it's like the key to the NFL's future. So I think flag has always been thought of in the NFL and at the Giants as a community asset. This is how we can get people playing football. Yes, and it should also be a marketing asset, particularly for young girls. This is a way and in a lot of communities people are not playing tackle at the same race. The number one way you get someone to become a fan is to play. So getting more people to play the sport at a youth level then translates into fandom. I think that's an area where we've been able to test things at Gotham that we can bring to the Giants. I think on the football side, there's so much for Gotham to learn from the Giants when I think about their scouting, their analytics, the way they think about player fit on the team, the psychological model of who would thrive in the New York market and who wouldn't.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: I think we.
Carolyn: Probably have the best scouts in the end of your cell, But as Ell and I talk about often, like our bar isn't to be the best in the end of you wanted the best in the world. And so that's an area I think we can continue to lean in. And even like ty Sam who runs data and analytics for the Giants, the way that he uses analytics to support the coaches in their game day decision making, that's an area where we're kind of in the early innings of what we can do.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I got a tattoo after this championship forgot them. It's the Championship Star I actually traced it from the actual championship.
Carolyn: Well, I was wondering how we did it so perfectly. Yeah, yeah, no, no, no, I had the tattoo artists trace it. I did not trace it. Yeah, yeah, I got it right there. And Mom came with me and said that she is going to get one. She still has not made good on that. What's your likelihood of getting one?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Well? Will?
Carolyn: My husband told my kids that if they ever get a tattoo, they will be banned from our household.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So the answer is low, like until they're sixty. My kids repeated it back to me. Once they're sixty, they can decide.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Oh they can't.
Carolyn: Okay, Well what I was going to say, Okay, so I guess I have some time. I have twenty years to decide what my tattoo is. Sadly, I think it's low. What do you hope in all of this that your kids take away from this?
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Oh, that's a good question.
Carolyn: I think they obviously get like a very inside look as they often hear me on the phone or listening to like voicemails late at night being traded.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Back and forth.
Carolyn: I think being able to make the hard decisions even when the world is telling you something different. There have been moments where we've made decisions, whether it's roster decisions or difficult decisions on letting people go or not hiring people that I think the outside world might be critical about, and to be able to kind of like shut out the outside noise, look inward and say I'm going to do what's right by my team or or by the culture I'm trying to create or the vision I'm trying to create. It's easier said than done sometimes, but I think to be able to kind of look inward and even I would broaden that to just believing in a women's soccer team. Back to the conversation on investors, like, there's a lot of different ways to spend your time, spend your money.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: And I don't want to say.
Carolyn: It's a sacrifice because I love what I do and I get a lot of joy out of it, but there are sacrifices to it. Can't tell the last time I went to a restaurant. They can't tell you the last time I saw my friends. But being deliberate about how you spend your time and if you believe in something, making the sacrifices to achieve what you want to achieve.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Hopefully is something they take away from it.
Carolyn: I did have this thought the other day that I don't have to tell you, like this has been my lifelong dream from when I was seven years old, was to go work for our family at the Giants one day, and you know, I wrote my college essay about it. I wrote my busins school application essay about it, like this is where I'm going, and I probably glamorized it to some degree because I didn't actually really know what it meant. The other day, I think my kids, I couldn't put them to bed because I was stuck in a call I don't know something where I was like maybe I had to go on a work trip and you know, I had to leave them again. And obviously they see like the glamorous parts of it. The US soccer team won this weekend and Alexander was like, oh, are you going to be on stage? And I was like, no, that I have nothing to do with this. This is not my game to win. So obviously, like they see the glamorous parts of it, but they also see the trade offs and the not glamorous parts of it.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: So I did have that thought.
Carolyn: I was like I wonder if my kids would dream about being in a family business in the same way that I did, because also the family business part it is complicated and it does change dynamics between family members. So I never had this conversation with them. So maybe they would say yes, But I wonder would they want to work for a family business in the same way that I did because it is complicated.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah, well, definitely.
Emily Tisch Sussman: My little daughter Evelyn, Yes, yeah, she was pantsuits to every game it has since she was four, and follows you around every game.
Carolyn: So she's all in. She's one hundred percent. Oh, I don't care about family dynamics Now I'm in. Yeah, yeah, She's like, oh, barrel right through exactly.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Is there something that you saw as a low point or a challenge that now you see it as having really built you to the successes you're having today or success you are now.
Carolyn: Yeah, there's a lot of low points. I'd probably point to the feedback. I kind of alluded to this before in the Culture conversation, but we got some really challenging feedback at the end of twenty twenty four that I think made me question my leadership, our team's leadership, and what we were doing here that was my first full year in seat. Was I doing a good job? Was I the right person to lead this? I think now our team is so much better off for the decisions we made, the way.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: That we handled it.
Carolyn: I think we very clearly know who we are, what we stand for, what our values are. We're better, I think, get identifying when it's right, fit when it's not. And I think I'm able to be more deliberate and where I spend my time and where I don't. And so I think I'm a better leader for going through that. I think our team is in a better place. We're going through it, but it was really difficult.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: Yeah, do you think you'll pivot again?
Carolyn: Feel pretty locked into this one. Feels like I'm really here to stay. Maybe pivot within it, like you know, maybe not the chair of the executive committee forever, you know, smaller pivots. Yeah, yeah, a smaller one within it. But I feel really here to stay.
Carolyn Tisch Blodgett: On this one. I think everyone will be thrilled to hear that. Okay, great, thank you for your annual she Pivots interview. Thank you. Now I'm already thinking what we're gona talk about next year. Always building, never finished.
Emily Tisch Sussman: This is Gotham FC's mantra, but I think it applies to women's sports as a whole, especially during this period of growth. We do this interview with care once a year, and every year she tells me about the new things to be excited about building. Not only is Gotam building a new practice facility, but has a Yesterday, the team is officially planning to move to New York City's first ever soccer specific stadium in Queens, playing there starting in twenty twenty eight. Carolyn decided what she wanted to build, set it out loud and kept showing up for the unnglamorous version of it. And the proof is the new Heightscotham FC and the whole NWSL have achieved in the past year. Carolyn leads from the top, but everyone has a role. Go to a woman's sporting event, wear the merch and tune in. I'll see you at the Queen's Classic next week on Wednesday, July fifteenth. Thanks for listening to She Pivots. If you like this episode, follow the show so you never miss a pivot story and share it with one woman in your life who might need to hear it. To learn more about our guests and join our community, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the podcast are Subscribe to our substack for exclusive content and behind the scenes conversations. You can also find us at shepivotspod dot com. This episode was produced and edited by Paige Davis Janatt, with sound editing and mixing by Nina Pollock. Logistics and planning by Amostopic and Kendall Crupkin. Research by Christine Dickinson. She Pivots is proud to be a part of the iHeart Podcast Network. I endorse che Pivots