Speaker 1: Al Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart and how we try to put them back together again. I'm your guest host, Margaret Kiljoy, and with me this week is one of your regular hosts. Here, higare Hello, this week is one of those putting things back together episodes. The premise of this episode is simple. Let's say you're newly radicalized. Maybe you are participant in the occupations and now the school year is over, or you got expelled and you're wondering what the next steps are. This won't be an it's all in one guide to how to become an activist, but it's sort of a sketch of one. It's also not quite a complete Summer twenty twenty four guide to Protests, but there's some of that in here too. It's a Magpie's guide to getting started in activism. I want to start with my own biases upfront because it's going to inform everything that I have to say about all of this. I'm an anarchist. It's also been decades since I've broke into the movement. I've been doing this stuff since two thousand and two, when I dropped out of college to join the ultra globalization movement. So I have biases towards things like dropping out of college because it worked for me, and I have You know, a lot of my experience isn't recent, at least my direct experience personally, but I've been watching people come into the movement for a very long time. I also have biases against authoritarian organizing and electoral organizing, and biases towards direct action and autonomy as models for radical social change. I believe this is how you build a freer and better world by practicing freedom along the way. But you can adapt this to suit your own interests. That's not to say I have any interest in guiding people towards specific paths, specific actions, specific issues, and movements exactly the opposite. This is my attempt to kind of give a the big picture view of how one might get involved right now. I don't know if you knew this, Gaar, the world's kind of in trouble.
Speaker 4: I have heard this before. I have heard this said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you ever like think about how your job is to be a professional chicken little?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sometimes I guess so. Yeah, I mean I'm definitely in the dredges trying to find what horrible things are always happening.
Speaker 3: Certainly, yeah, I would say, even though the world is always in serious trouble, it's like extra in serious trouble right now, and we are in desperate need of people who dedicate their time, whether part of it or all of it, to trying to stop the terrible things that are happening and trying to build beautiful things and beautiful alternatives. So how do you get started? I want you to think about a couple different things that are separate from each other. I want you to think about This isn't necessarily you gare, although you could if you want, sure, why not?
Speaker 5: Yeah? What do you care about?
Speaker 3: Like? What issues are specifically important to you? It's the first thing to think about. The second is what do you want to do about it? And if you have a sense of that, and like also kind of how far you're willing to go. If you get a sense of those things before you throw yourself into the fight, you're going to start off strong. Those things can change, they will change over time, but getting a sense of those ahead of time is a good way to figure out which door you want to go in, and then also to avoid some of the dangers that lie on the other side of any given door. What do you care about? What movements and projects speak loudest to you? A ton of causes are interconnected, of course, right the fight for Palestinian liberation is not at its core separate project than the fight against policing in the United States, for example, the rise of a global police state is everyone's problem, and so is the US and Zionist imperial project. Causes are interconnected, but you can rarely start by trying to fix everything. Usually got to pick somewhere to start working. You don't climb a mountain by just willing yourself to the top. You climb it by picking a place and then starting to climb it. Maybe you're concerned about the police state or surveillance, or the erosion of rights or Palestinian liberation, or fighting for prisoners in the US to still have access to books, or for LGBT rights, or for migrants at the border, or for the protection of the remaining national ecosystems and stopping the expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure. Maybe you're concerned about something hyper local, like the destruction of a local park or the sweeping of homeless encampments. Maybe it's something a bit broader and more abstract, like you want to get involved in explaining the need for police abolition, but there's something, there's some that you want to change. As a place to start, the second question is what do you want to do. There's multiple questions embedded in this. There's how far are you willing to go? We'll talk more of that later, more immediately, what is your skill set or what skill sets do you wish you had? Like a lot of times I'll just be like, oh, hey, what are you good at? And now I'll go do that. But sometimes like what you're good at isn't what you want to be doing. And it's also totally okay to be like, well, what do I want to be good at, Like what do I want to be trying to focus on what do you have to offer the revolution or what do you wish you had to offer. Are you in med school or have other first aid or medical experience, Maybe you want to plug in with your local street medics. Are you studying law? Movement lawyers need paralegal help, and there are groups that use volunteers to get people out of jail or through difficult court cases. If graphic design is your passion, this is me referencing a meme from a million years ago and totally winning people over. Every group that exists needs help with their flyers or Instagram slideshows.
Speaker 5: Or whatever the fuck.
Speaker 4: That is certainly the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's it's funny too, right, because it's like it's one of those things where if you do graphic design, you sort of think like, oh, everyone sort of does this or whatever, right, And then I've been part of groups where people are like, no one knows how to do this at all, and everything is that we make as garbage, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although there is actually a careful needle to thread in this vein, because if you've had enough experience, you can kind of figure out what type of action it's gonna be based on how well designed and the flyer is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and which way. If it's kind of corporate well designed, it's like gonna tie into electoral politics and be boring. But if it's hip and well designed, it's a riot.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Sometimes there's sometimes there's some like very like well designed flyers that are not like very electoral, but they're like, okay, this will be a marge, will be some speeches, we'll kind of walk around a little bit, because it's like a very well potad flyer versus when you have like a white background of big block attacks, maybe one poorly cropped picture, you're like, okay, this is obviously a riot flyer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: It takes a degree of subtlety to get the instincttional difference when you're looking at a collection of flyers that are going out.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 3: This is interesting to me because in like about fifteen years ago, the like the people throwing the best riots were like a bunch of graphic designers, and so it was the specific anymore. Yeah, okay, okay, Well you know, and actually, as a good graphic designer knows the language that they are speaking with and that is what they're communicating, So that might be what you want to do is get involved in making the flyers. If you spend all day on Twitter. A lot of activist groups can't find someone to run their social media, or they have people who run it very badly. Sometimes being an extrovert is a superpower. Building strong movements means building strong communities, and every meeting and party needs someone willing to introduce themselves to the new people and help them figure out where to go. The best activist meetings I've ever been to have like someone who's there to sit next to new people and explain what's going on. Also, if you can plan a party, you can plan a benefit show to raise money for bail funds. There's kind of this like like whenever I talk about this, like oh, everyone has their place, and people are like, why don't I'm a fucking bookkeeper, and I'm like, oh my god, we need you, or like, you know, all kinds of different skill sets that people like don't think apply actually do project manager. Yeah, we're we're not all instinctively good at that, you know. And so the quickest way to sum this part of it up is you think about what's wrong, and you think about what you're good at, and then you get together with other people and apply what you're good at to stopping what's wrong. That is the like one sentence version of how to start getting involved in making the world better. But the last part of it that I I want the question of it beforehand is risk analysis. It is very easy to get swept up in the moment and go beyond your comfort zone in terms of risk in a lot of different environments. The more you have sorted out ahead of time about what kinds of actions you're comfortable with strategically, morally, and personally, the easier it is to stick to your decisions when things get hard. For example, you might tell yourself I will risk arrest, but I will not get arrested on purpose because I have a massage license I don't want to lose. Or I have kids at home, or I'm undocumented, or I don't like the idea of jail. Whatever your reason is, there's plenty of reasons to make that decision. You might be willing to risk arrest, like be in a hectic riot, but you're not willing to lock your neck to a bulldozer. So when you go to the planning meeting for the lock your neck to a bulldozer action and you're trying to figure out who wants to lock their neck to the bulldozer. You've already made up your mind, and you're less likely to kind of pressure your self into volunteering.
Speaker 4: Or feel pressured by others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm imagining the positive version. Well, okay, because it's very rarely someone's like, hey, gear been a while since you locked your neck to anything, and it's usually more like, man, it just sure would be good if someone was bold and noble enough to just step up right now and then yeah, yeah, I mean I've organized some of my friends arrests before, and it's it's not always. That's not always the strategy that people want to be doing anyway. I'm just using this as an example, like what kind of Earth first style thing? If you know what your risk models are, you can make better decisions. Maybe you're fine with a spirited march, but as soon as windows start getting broken, you're like, you know, I want to leave. That's gonna not be my scene. You know, I'm not mad that the people did it, but it's not what I am willing to get arrested in response to it's also important to know your risk levels, which kind of course shift because there are predators in the ranks of direct action activists. I don't know if you knew this, gre there's a shadowy, unaccountable group that tries to get people to break laws. They're called the FEDS. They're called the FBI. They have a history going back decades and then trapping people by coming up with bomb plots or ur some plots or whatever. And we're not going to go into this in depth in this episode, but if you want to do more research, people should look up. They should read about co intel pro it's an acronym, or read about the case of Eric McDavid, or read about how the FBI set up Muslim Americans in the wake of nine to eleven. But another thing you should go into all this knowing is that that doesn't mean that everyone who wants to do those kinds of actions is working with the FEDS.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you shouldn't go around accusing everyone you don't like of possibly being a secret and federal agent.
Speaker 3: Because you know who likes accusing people of being federal agents. Yeah, And also our sponsors they don't they don't they're all great. They might, they might, I don't know. I can't really speak to them, but here they are, they can speak to you, and we're back. That is a thing that is absolutely worth anyone who's getting involved in activism, especially direct action activism, including above grounds of this obedient style action. It is really worth understanding the ways in which federal oppression works, and how federal oppression works often by the fear of federal oppression and getting people to spread paranoia. And so as a general rule, the way that I've always heard it talked about is that it's like you never want to be like, hey, I think that guy's a fed. Instead you're like, hey, guy, that kind of behavior is disruptive and leads towards bad things, you know, Like yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think I even have some hesitation to just be like you should just just go google co intel pro and learn all about it, because I feel like that can also lead to someone kind of falling down like some conspiracy brained rabbit holes, and like I've gotten the best information by just talking to older people who've like been in the movement for a while, and like just like if someone has like over ten years of experience, and they're like, you can learn a lot about what has happened before through just like actual, like in person conversations. And I found that to be much more useful than just like going down like a Google rabbit hole, because that can just kind of lead to I think slightly even slightly more like paranoid thinking or just it just becomes like less applicable than like, Hey, you have like a friend of a friend who's like done this for a while, and you just ask, hey, like what if what do you know about this sort of thing? Now you're right, what are your experiences of kind of of facing like repression in the past. The true chances are some of them will probably know people who've either turned out to be like informants, has started informing, or we're bad actors from the from the get go, like it's it does, it does happen. And there's even been case it's not even just stuff from ten fifteen years ago. There's a lot of that stuff post twenty twenty. Some really some stuff in h in Chicago, some stuff in Colorado Springs have gotten decent news coverage. I think you can also you can look to articles specifically of the Colorado Springs infiltration that that that the FBI was running around twenty twenty. I think that's a really useful case study for a more recent version as opposed to like the green scare stuff from at this point like twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's true, and there's a good there's actually a good podcast series where I liked it called Alphabet Boys. The first season is about that case. No, that's a good point that you that random internet search is not the way to get this kind of information, this information like you'll Honestly, it's kind of funny. I would trust a random zine in a radical bookstore far more than I would trust a Google search result, agreed, which is not true for everything like healthcare. Well, you're gonna get shit answers no.
Speaker 5: Matter what if you do that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the internet is gonna tell you have cancer, and the zine's going to tell you that tea tree oil will fix it.
Speaker 5: Yes, there we go.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that is actually a very good point, and it is the kind of thing that Yeah, the longer you're involved, the more you're just like, oh, yeah, the you know my ex who's a snitch that sucks? Yeah, you know Anyway, now you have what you care about, what your skills are, and your risk analysis, it's time to get started. How there's two basic ways, and they're not really a dichotomy, but you can plug into something that exists and you can start something of your own, and both are valid and both have advantages and disadvantages. There are structures and movements that are already in place that are desperate for your help. There's a catch. Many, not all, but many of the more reasonable groups are challenging to break into. Very few groups have a truly open door policy, and those that do honestly sometimes or suspect. Yeah, some of those people are just trying to use you. They're trying to suck you into a political political cult or use your energy and burn you out for some vaguely progressive politician or activist cause. So either way, you're going to need to exercise some common sense and do some reading and research about what you're getting into. The best publicly accessible groups and movements are the ones that are organized from the bottom up, because the participants themselves have a say in what's happening. There is less ability to be sucked into a cult and used. That's not to say it's impossible, and there are such things as decentralized cults that don't do any you.
Speaker 4: Know, many such cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I know it's easy and convenient to join a group that'll just tell you what to do. It's very nice to imagine that there's benevolent people who will just do the hard part of making decisions and you can just show up and clock in and listen to what they have to say and make the world better place. This is rarely, if ever the case. I can't point to examples of it being the case. Movements that maintain everyone's autonomy instead, I think are what are interesting, and they often do it by not being a group at all, just a movement. The uprisings of twenty twenty, I think are a brilliant example of this. There's not the group that organized, no, but.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of smaller, smaller groups, whether that be some like informal organizations, formal organizations, or just like groups of friends that it's made up of a whole bunch of these smaller groups. And I think a lot of times the best case scenario in many cases is if you have like a friend or too because you shouldn't really show it to things alone, I would say, but if you have a friend or two, go with the friender too. Just like just go to things. And if you go to enough things and people see you, you can chat with people, you can start learning more about kind of what the different mechanisms in each different city, each each even't seen how how they operate. It's it's it's it's kind of silly just to be like, no, you just like have to like show up. But like that is kind of a lot of how it works. You'll maybe hear about a Instagram account that posts flyers for semi weekly like picnics organized by some of these same people, and then you can go to events like that and learn to like socialize. And it really just does require a degree of just showing up. And you shouldn't go by yourself. You should if you you should ideally have a friend or two that you that is that they would be okay going with you. But then you'll you'll find people to connect with and you'll kind of maybe find a different group of people that you want to start hanging out with more. And I think in general that's kind of how the best case scenario works, as opposed to like joining like a big above ground organization which is just going to use your body as a tool to get arrested as or just treat you as disposable or in other cases just be actually kind of like abuse of.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, and that's some of that we're going to get into also. But yeah, no, and I will say overall, absolutely it is better to do those things with friends. I didn't I started going to things alone. That has something to do with my temperament, and that has something to do with my social standing when I was in college and decided to get involved in the movement. But overall, that is the best practice. But if you're listening to this and you're like, I don't have friends I can go do this stuff with, there are more risks involved, and you're also kind of stuck. You're going to go to a lot of things where no one will talk to you, yeah, you know, and you can't necessarily expect that people talk to you immediately or like, and you're going to have to be a little bit more self motivated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And if you're going to a zine fair, you can chow some people at like the tables when you're looking for a zine. It's like it's, yeah, now everyone's going to want to get into a deep personal conversation with a stranger they met at an event like this because it also has like security risks. But yeah, I mean it's it's going to require a little bit of uncomfortable social interactions, which for yeah, for someone like you or me who did go to a lot of these things just by ourselves, you know, it just it just kind of takes more time.
Speaker 3: No, totally. And I think actually ze fairs and things like that and anarchist book fairs and all that are like really good examples of places that are publicly facing that are designed for people to interact with each other. And also, like one of the main pieces of advice that we we have is be brave, right, and we talk about that in terms of like street actions, but like, yeah, okay, also social anxiety exactly exactly, because how much of so social anxiety will become like an inhibiting factor similar to like the state not saying these things are equal, but they can both like inhibit you from doing things, and it's both you can you can kind of approach it via similar means of trying to like overcome this thing that is limiting your autonomy. Yeah, no, totally. So to go back to if you're joining an existing group, some groups maintain everyone's autonomy by being struck horizontally. Some groups that exist as a structure will do it by being structured horizontally. If you found yourself for go ahead, claim to be structured horizontally as well. No, it's true, but like like if you join a local Earth First chapter, you're going to find there's absolutely informal hierarchies that exist within these things, and they're like worth being aware of. But the decision about who's going to lock their neck to the bulldozer is going to involve everyone who might lock their neck to the bulldozer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not the same as like the DSA or the PSL, Like it's it's going to be a very different organizational structure.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, And so you know you want to be part of the decision making about locking your neck to a bulldozer because it's your neck on the line. That's my best joke in the whole script. I'm sorry, we'll just move past it quickly. Thanks. Plugging into an existing project is often a good first step. What I did personally. I started showing up to the meetings of this radical media project, Indie Media. I had film skills, and soon enough I found myself in the film collective. I spent a year or two bouncing around from demonstration to demonstration, coordinating with all the radical videographers to collect everyone's footage and edit together news videos about what had happened, while we collectively fostered a culture of like respectful riot videography.
Speaker 4: I did not realize we had that similar background.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, that it's interesting because I don't. I don't do that stuff anymore. But that was like my thing for a long time.
Speaker 4: Me either, actually, But no, I did not realize we had we had that, we had that overlap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, and it was It was great and it was fun and we you know, we taught how to not film people's faces. We coordinated runners where in order to get footage out before the cops could get it. We'd make sure everyone, you know, someone, every videographer had someone next to them, like ready to run out of the situation.
Speaker 4: Take this SD card and run yep, exactly.
Speaker 3: And I started off by joining an existing group that was doing this, but within a few months I was doing it independently and coordinating with different groups that came together at all these different summit protests because I was a known entity to people. You know, it was fun. I dropped out of school where I've been studying film and photography, and even before I would have graduated, a film I had edited sold out a movie theater in Portland. We didn't have YouTube, so we organized in person.
Speaker 4: Kate, that makes sense, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. When when we shut the city down on like March twentieth or whatever, twenty two thousand and three for to try and stop the Iraq war, I like didn't sleep and just edited everyone's film footage together and made a like thirty minute documentary about the day of protest and sold out a movie theater. And I was like, damn, this was way better for my career than going to fuck it stay it's school. I mean, like, my name isn't on it, but that like didn't matter to me. Sure, And then everyone the local news media got really mad because I didn't include the stuff that could have been used in people's court cases, like the time that people attack cops on the bridge, because I was like, nope, that's too recent. We don't know what's happening there anyway, And getting into certain types of groups is kind of like applying for a shitty job. A job that'll take you without reference is going to treat you like shit. But jobs that are worth having require you to somehow have already been doing the job before you got hired, and once people know who you are, it's easier to find folks who work with And I think gear Suggestions is like the main way you go about that is you don't necessarily show up to organize. You just show up to participate. You show up to talks, you show up to radical bookstores and public events and zine fairs and protests and whatever interests you you know. And I would say that if you're going to actions and you're new, remember to be both brave and cautious. If you tend towards recklessness and being so wept into things, maybe make sure you take less of a frontline's role until you get your legs underneath you. But it really is okay to be brave. I think we're asked by the times we live in to be brave, and sometimes we're gonna have to step outside of our comfort zone. We should just always look to make sure it's us encouraging us to step outside of our comfort zone instead of political actors whatever political ideology they call themselves.
Speaker 4: And also if you can another collective that people you know, these are like usually like medic collectives will maybe maybe we'll have like a radical media collective and another another one will be a jail support collective is very common a lot of cities, and not even if you don't want to take part in that, if you can at least get in touch with them to fill out a jail support form before going to things. That will also be useful in case you do end up getting arrested, so people can actually find you in the system and help you get out of get out. Just another quick tip, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if you want more quick tips, I've got some for you right now and we're back. Don't do anything that you just got told by voices that aren't me or there.
Speaker 4: They were trying to saihap you it is it is the yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Another way that you might get involved in something is you Some groups are semi open where you can contact them and express interest and they might do some basic screening to make sure you're not like a Nazi infiltrator or whatever. I'm in the process right now of doing that with clinic escorting. It's like funny because I haven't had to like prove myself to any group in a long time, right because I'm like I've been around forever. The clinic escorting group, it's like, we don't fucking know who you are, like, and I'm like, yeah, that's fair, give me, yeah, no, absolutely. I live in a place is not where abortion is not particularly popular with the right wing, and so I submitted my name and social media accounts to the to the abortion clinic escorting place, and then we'll go to a training at some point soon for folks living in southern California or willing to go there. For example, there are groups that do border solidarity working with refugees to make sure they're fed in house. If you listen to this podcast, you've heard James talking about this, and this is the first episode you've listened to, in which case, go back and listen to James talking about border solidarity work. If you want to show up and distribute food and water, track border patrol activity, build shelters, do first DAID, all of that. Feel like you're part of something because you are and are like saving people's lives directly, that's something you can likely get involved with, but it's not something you just show up at. There are a few groups doing that work, any of whom you can reach out to and express interest. There's border Kindness, there's Borderlands Relief Collective and Al Ultra Lado, and there's other groups like this in different areas. But these are the examples where I asked James being like, Hey, how do I explain the following concept? In general, you want to look for groups. If you're looking for groups, you want to look for groups that are grassroots and non authoritarian. You want to watch out for electoral campaigns, and you want to watch out for nonprofits. This is not to say that the people doing these things are necessarily bad. There are local political campaigns that matter, and there are nonprofits that do good work. Some of the best political work I ever did was two years out a nonprofit, honestly, but I got I was with one of the good ones. And structurally those systems, even the good ones, are set up to take advantage of people's energy and then like kind of profit off of it, right, and to accomplish goals that are often tangential to or even counter to the goals that they claim. For example, both politicians and nonprofits live off of donations. These donations are easy for them to get when those groups are seen as necessary, so a nonprofit has a financial interest in not winning. Some nonprofits manage to maintain their focus and make themselves work to make themselves obsolete, but frankly those are the minority. You also want to look out for groups that are front groups for thor tearing. Groups attached to communist political parties you mentioned earlier, like the PSL the Party for Socialism and Liberation. Generally speaking, these groups will go to protests and run events, primarily as a way to recruit people into a hierarchical structure. These groups are often trying to control broader movements that they're involved in. They'll tell people how they can and can't protest, and they're trying to essentially own movements that were built by others. So those are things to be careful around. You can also just not worry about any of that stuff and start something yourself. It is not the easy mode to get into the movement by starting your own projects. We're going to talk about afinity groups later. Actually it was the thing that you kind of started to bring up. But it is very rewarding to start your own projects. It's like freelancing instead of looking for a job. There's no gatekeepers to cross, and the only person who's trying to take advantage of you is you. If you want to never not be working another day in your life, you can freelance or start your own political project. It'll be what you think about every hour you're alive. In essence, the idea here is to say, okay, what's wrong and what are we willing to do about it, and then get together with your friends and start doing something about it. This can look like anything.
Speaker 8: You could start.
Speaker 3: A mutual aid group, a radical bookstore, an anti fascist gym to trained to defend yourself from fascists, illegal HRT distribution in band States, a direct action abortion collective, a zine distributor that goes to shows and parties with free literature about anarchism. A podcast about how things fall apart and how to put them back together again. A click of saboteurs who attack billboards, a group that draws attention to international movement prisoners, and support them like you can do anything. And that's one of the things that people. Our society is designed to tell us that we can't just do anything we want. There's obviously things that if we do, we'll get in trouble eventually.
Speaker 4: But like you know, okay, like like if you make a podcast that's too good, Yeah, they will, they will turn on you like Jesus, Yeah exactly. Or if you go around, you know, wanting to destroy construction equipment.
Speaker 3: Right, not usually legal. I'm not a lawyer. I can't tell you whether or not any given bulldozer is illegal to destroy. That is the kind of research you might have to do on your own. The difference between start something and enjoining something is often blurry. For example, you can unionize your workplace. You probably should, but you might want to do that in the context of an existing union like the Industrial Workers of the World or whatever union makes the most sense where the writer's field of America, Yeah exactly. If you have a podcast, but how the world's falling apart?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: If you're going to start something above ground, it's worth looking around and making sure that the need isn't already being met by someone else.
Speaker 9: Already.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's better to figure out how to help an existing bail fund rather than start another. But also sometimes it is better to start another, like it's harder for the police tarrade, for example, which didn't used to be an issue when you start bail funds, but is now an issue, which is worth pointing out that like there's no true safety, you know, like when we talk about risk analysis, like running a bail fund is entirely legal and is the kind of thing that often is done by the people who care about a movement and are like not frontlines people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, aren't wanting to do felonies in downtown right Portland or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the more successful a movement is the broader. The state repression will reach out to the fringes, not the fringe. I mean, the bail fund isn't the fringe, but the less privery. The people who aren't committing the felon felonies. Yeah, are going to get tagged with felonies anyway, because the state being repressive is the reason we're fighting it.
Speaker 4: They will still get their houses rated. And it's the same same thing ad demos. You don't need to be the one breaking windows for the least to tackle you, Like, at a certain point, it actually doesn't. It seems to matter very little. I mean, if things get to trial, then things you know will maybe matter a bit more. But in like how police display the power of the state, Like out in the open world, it really doesn't matter if you're holding a sign or you're holding a hammer when you're getting tackled from behind by a big man with a gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, which is why it's like kind of worth. I mean that's like almost like what the the answer to that is like solidarity, and by recognizing that to a certain degree, if you were at a protest and people are breaking windows and it's like, okay, well now we're all in danger together. And if that is a danger beyond what you particularly feel like exposing yourself to, that is probably the time to depart. Another pitfall to avoid if you're starting your own thing. Any group that involves money will at some point have someone from that group steal the money.
Speaker 4: Including bail funds. Unfortunately, it does, It does happen, and it sucks.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have lost count of the number of times someone who was an organizer has stolen all of the money from this or that thing, and that's because capitalism puts people in absolutely weird and terrible positions. Right, It's still not okay for people to steal the bail fund, and we should stop them. But often the people who steal the stuff, if they're the organizers, they don't even necessarily conceptualize what they did as stealing. They're like, oh, I'm gonna pay that back. I don't think anyone needs it right now. I just need it for rent.
Speaker 4: In order for the bail fund to continue, I have to have stable housing. So we need to use these two thousand dollars right now, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right without checking with the rest of the group, and like, you know, like, and so if there's money involved, you should set up some best practices around multiple eyes on the money at any given point and making sure that it's accountable to the broader group. One organizing model that is worth considering is the affinity group. This is basically you and some of your closest friends that you feel like doing safe with actions with. Whatever the scale of actions, you get together with your friends.
Speaker 4: Or people you're not even necessarily like social friends with, but people you feel comfortable working with. Because there sometimes is a distinction like you said, sometimes you have a lot of close friends you don't want in your affinity group, and sometimes there's people in your affinity group that you may not really want to hang out with like every week totally, but they're good to work with. Now, that's a really good point. It's about trust rather than like getting along with sometimes. You know, Yeah, it might function better if you know you don't all hate each other, ah, have some affinity. Yeah, yes, you know, but perhaps you have a shared affinity within the group.
Speaker 5: Ideally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. If you're in a riot, whether by choice or by accident, you are safer and you can feel more comfortable if you are there with two or seven of your closest and most trustworthy friends or frenemies. These are the people who are the most likely to de arrest you. These are the people who are there to notice if you are caught and will organize your bail. These are the people who will be in direct You'll be in direct communication with during the protest, so you can coordinate your actions together.
Speaker 4: It's figure out how you want to get into the area get out of the area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that's like a going alone is sort of expert mode and so you should take fewer risks if you go alone until you are good, you know, and most people do not prefer and do not are not better off going to protest alone. And then the final thing kind of tying together the existing groups versus whatever else existing protests movements EBB and flow protests are contagious, especially when they're rowdy and they show that they take themselves seriously enough to not just go along with whatever professional protest managers tell them to do, and take them seriously enough to resist the police and authorities. It's more or less impossible to know which protests like sparks will catch a bigger fire. It is good and useful to cast sparks and see what catches, or to notice when something is starting to spread and to help it spread.
Speaker 4: Like what happened a few weeks ago with the campus stuff, right exactly, one or two places really start popping off and you're like, hey, I know some people in college who are in whatever town I'm in. Maybe we can figure something out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so's if that was your involvement. And you're like, oh, that's not currently happening where I am anymore. What do I do next? Things like that will happen again, and you can also make things like that happen. Most of the time they will not catch. However, sometimes they do, and that is like kind of our job in a lot of ways, is to organize things and try things and see what catches. I'm curious your take. There are two political conventions happening this year. The Republican National Convention been from July fifteenth to eighteenth, twenty twenty four in Milwaukee, and then in August nineteenth to twenty second in Chicago is the Democratic National Convention. They're basically always protests at these conventions to me, and I'm a little bit out of touch with it. There's going to be more this year, Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There certainly will, I think, especially at the DNC. I don't have much to say on this at this point besides read up on the previous ones that have happened. You can go all the way back to sixty eight if you want to read about Chicago and the DNC, but also like the RNC protests from the Iraq War era, I think would be verly useful to look at if you want to go back to like two thousand and eight and see how those protests were. I would just recommend reading up on it. I don't really have much else to say on those in the moment.
Speaker 4: They're too far out totally to forecast. Yeah, and I yeah, that's kind of all I'll say at the moment.
Speaker 5: These will become a recurring.
Speaker 4: Top on this podcast the next few months.
Speaker 3: So yeah, And so keep track of what's happening, and get ready to go to what you feel comfortable with, and don't be afraid to be brave, but don't let anyone trick you into doing stuff that you're not comfortable with. But we need you. We're glad you're here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't be so down that the school year is over and these campus protests only had a few weeks to live. I know there were certainly people who were really hoping that after we saw you know, what happened during April and May, that maybe this would you know, trigger things happening off campus around the summer.
Speaker 5: And maybe they still will.
Speaker 4: And at the very least, we have a lot of young people listener possibly included, who like experienced their first example of like actual state violence like on them, and that could be a very radicalizing experience. So yeah, don't don't be so down that maybe your occupation didn't go as well as you wanted to. Maybe you're protested, and but I think there's a lot of lessons to learn from what happened the past month, and they will become applicable, possibly this summer, possibly two years from now, who knows. Like it's hard to say, but yeah, it's Whenever you get that first hint of tear gas, you kind of become a different person in my opinion, So congratulations to everyone who did that. Hopefully didn't get arrested, and if you did, hopefully you have a jail support crew that is helping you out.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I think that people never really recover from isn't the right word. The first time you see the police retreat totally, you recognize that this thing you have been taught is completely unassailable. The reason they're building cop cities is they know they are assailable and they want to be less. So well, listen to this podcast, and that's the only place you'll ever find anything useful. That's the fine.
Speaker 5: I mean, I wouldn't I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, but there are other podcasts that there's a lot of books, because there's a lot of zines, there's a lot of sketchy noblog sites which may sometimes have misinformation and sometimes have good information yay. And you could certainly certainly check out Margaret. I've heard that you yourself had a few other podcasts what I do well if you want to hear a lot of the history around some of the stuff we talked about, including like the co Intel pro stuff. For example, I run a podcast called Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff on this very network, cool Zone Media, and you can listen to it every Monday and Wednesday. I just finished a very long, but I swear entertaining series of episodes about the Russian Revolution in the Civil War. I've did an episode about the Burglars for Peace who exposed co Intel pro by robbing an FBI office in the middle of the night in the early seventies, and all kinds of other stories, So you can listen to that, or if you want to know more about the end of the world. I help run a podcast called Live Like the World Is Dying, comes out every Friday, and that one is Prepper Butt Community. Yep, there were go And I have a book coming out. It comes out of September. It's called The Sapling Cage and it's going to be kickstarted in June, and if you go to Kickstarter you can sign up for announcements about that. And it is the best book I've ever written, so you all should read it. Very excited to see that that does it for us, that it could happen here. We will probably see you out there.
Speaker 10: Good luck.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Could Happen Here, the only sue where things happen. I'm Ani Siege of Future Channel Antraism and I'm joined by Garrison Clo Hello.
Speaker 7: Nice.
Speaker 6: Recently I've been researching and writing on education and anarchista Honestly, it's one of my favorite topics to look into, and it's one of the topics I think I'm most passionate about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's definitely a hot topic within this political field. There's a large, large variety of opinions.
Speaker 6: One might say for sure, for sure, for sure, I mean consciousness does form the basis of revolution, and there's a long history of anarchist struggle around education, whether it be in terms of critiquing US role in social control and socialization, or discussing news liberation, or talking about the inequalities of the current education system, or the influenza statist capitalists and religious ideologies, or the whole discussion around sex education. These are all things that anarchists have looked into discussed, and so it's to wrestle with.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because anarchists have, like I believe, the large number of people who are like, very like militantly like anti school but also have a really high number of people who become teachers. So it's always kind of interesting when you're ever at like an anarchist gathering, you have half the people are like school teachers, the other half are like destroy the schools, which is always just a little bit amusing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, for sure. So it's really I think people have to deal with that sort of tension. Anarchists find themselves in those sort of tensions, but then they also find themselves put themselves in those positions in part because they see the potential of those positions we you know, in sort of shape in the future. But I don't mean to mislead anybody this episode, would it's only tangentially related to education. Okay, Yeah, So basically in my research on education, I stumbled upon this article called anarchists of an Education and early Republican Cuba from eighteen ninety eight to nineteen twenty five. And also I found some other works on anarchist Cuba in general and his all thanks to the scholarship of Kubin Shaffer. And I mean, for some time now, I've been meaning to dig deeper into the history of anarchism in Cuba. Dare I say, I think it's been forgotten, and so I took a dive into it. I first started with Stephen J. Hersh and Lucian van der Wald's work in anarchism and syndicalism in the colonial and post colonial world. And in my research I also founder work of Sam Dorkoff and Frank Finandez, both of whom were apparently highly influential in the scholarship, the historical research and the present understanding of Cuban anarchism. It's thanks to their research that we know what we know, bringing all those different things together, all those different sources together. So here we go, Akivamos, Let's discuss the history of Cuban anarchism, and our story begins in the early nineteenth century. You know, the sun on colonial Cuba, casting a long and heavy shadow across the vibe and streets of Havana. The gentle salty breezes carried I'm trying a new thing. I see a facial ext friend. I'm trying I like Can I like it? I'm trying to said the same, you know, feel those salty breezes carrying the scent of tobacco and coffee and sugar cane. But let's not get too romantic. You know, this was a plantation society where African slaves remained in chains and toiled in the hot sun while many of their contemporaries gained their freedom and plantition known as navigated the web of politics and power. Cuba was among the last countries to abolish slavery, and the Cuban aristocracy, being uniquely loyal to the Spanish crown, was primarily responsible for the persistence to that institution. You know, they were dedicated to Spain long after much of Latin America had won their independence, and despite the aristocrat's loyalty, there were still whispers of liberation and revolution in corners of the city. In eighteen fifty seven, just nearly two decades after the French track called pered Joseph Prudin declared himself an anarchists and a mutualist. The first Proonian Mutualist Society would be founded in Cuba, marking the early beginnings of the organized labor movement on the island. A decade later, in eighteen sixty five, lecturers or readings places where political ideas we read in cigar factories. They became very widespread considering the predominance of the tobacco industry, and in the same year, the first strike threat would occur at a tobacco works in Havana, leading to successful negotiations for increased wages. In eighteen sixty six, Havana based artisans would establish the first evening school for workers, lay in the foundation for worker based Education. Between eighteen sixty eight and eighteen seventy eight, conflict would erupt into violence as the sugar mill owner Carlos Manuel de Sespides and his followers proclaimed independence, beginning the first of three liberation wars that Cuba fought against Spain. The first, a horizon led by wealthy planters, would be known as the Ten Years' War, and it would be followed by a second uprising, the Little War, from eighteen seventy nineteighteen eighty, and meanwhile, the Cubas anarchist movement would look to establish another worker's school and a newspaper. These efforts were led by cigar makers Enrique roy De Saint Martin and Enrique Messonier. In Havana, greg San Martin founded this Center of Instruction and Recreation. Its purpose was to defend worker organizations and distribute anarchal collectivist literature from Spain. The doors of the center opened to all Cubans, regardless of their social position, political leanings, or color differences. Gregson Martin also took the position of editor at the newspaper El Obrero, co opting it from the Democratic Republicans and turned it into an explicitly anarchist newspaper. The anarchists and tobacco industry were pioneering the emergent labour struggle, bolstered by the transport of anarchist periodicals from Spain to Cuba and the transmission of ideas by Spanish immigrant workers. The first regional centers, clinics, secular schools, mutual aid associations and Free Association of tobacco workers, typographers, carpenters, day laborers and artisans were emerging thanks to the influence of Prudon's ideas. While some in the labor movement were appreciate reformism and collaboration with capitalist interests, the anarchists stood firm in their rejection of submission to the feat of capital. In eighteen eighty five, the Junta Central de r Tisnos was founded to unite Cuba's workers in federations. In the same year, in the RecA Massoniir launched the Circulo de Trabajadores or Workers Circle, which was focused on educational and cultural activities. The Worker's Circle became the largest labor organization in Cuba in the late eighteen eighties. It hosted a secular school for five hundred poor students to challenge Cuba's public and religious schools. It held rally for groups of workers, and it led anti nationalist and anti racist education efforts. Anarchists will also challenge in discrimination in labor and immigration policies. By eighteen eighty six, Spain finally outlawed slavery, and the Cuban anarchists would attempt to welcome Afro Cubans into the labor organizations, with mixed success. And we'll get to that soon. In eighteen eighty seven, Roixamartin launched Al Productor, a weekly newspaper that will become a must read for the work in people of Cuba, and to coordinate it to publication and the efforts of the various workers groups, workers founded the Alianza Oprera or Workers' Alliance. With the founder of the Alliance and the sponsorship of another organization, La Ferracion de Tabadores de Cuba or FDC or Federation of Cuban Workers, the first Congresso Obrero de Cuba would be held in Havana. Majority of the members of the FDC were tobacco workers, but members of other trades also participated, like tailors and drivers and bakers and baro makers and dock workers. So that's a lot of organizations in quick succession. So to summarize, we have the center of instruction recreation, the newspapers El Peructor and Obrero, the Junta Centrale de Artisanos or Central Union of Artisans, El Sercuilo de Travajadores or Workers Circle, the Alianza Obrera or Workers Alliance, and Laferracion de Travajadores de Cuba or FDC, which held the first Congresso Obrero or Workers Congress in Cuba. All these organized efforts would spark another strike. Remember the first threat, which did not lead to a strike, took place in eighteen sixty five, but this time it was different. In July eighteen eighty eight, the tobacco workers call a strike at the Henry Clay tobacco factory in Havana. The Workers Circle met and agreed to begin collecting donations to support the workers out in the streets, and sent delegates to Key West in Florida to solicit aid from the tobacco workers there. The Worker's Circle was very much involved in a lot of these things because they actually had a large headquarters that coordinated the offices of many workers associations. In addition to the school that I mentioned they founded, they had their fingers and a lot of the associations and solidarity efforts that had taken place. By eighteen eighty nine, they founded yet another school, teaching over one hundred men at night and eight hundred children during the day. Elegance the establishment of new schools across the island, And also in eighteen eighty nine, those same tobacco workers in Key West called their own general strike due to poor working conditions, low wages, and stock living conditions. And guess what they stood in solidarity with the Cuban workers, and the Cuban workers stood in solidarity with them. The Workers Alliance also connected with workers organizations in Florida and fosters solidarity between workers in Florida and Cuba. In addition to Key West, strikes would also break out in Tampa and Ybor City. Despite some violence and the expulsion of the strike leaders, the strike in Florida ended in early eighteen ninety with a triumph for Florida's tobacco workers as the owners acceded to the demands for a pay increase. On May first International Workers Day, over three thousand workers marched through Havana, and in this time the workers Circle was continuously expanding. But within this year also came tragedy, as in August Enrique Roig San Martin died at the age of forty six, and the last of the three conflicts against Spain would be the Cuban War of Independence, which raged from eighteen ninety five to eighteen ninety eight. Anarchists in Cuba, New York, and Spain debated support for Cuba's independent struggle but despite concerns, most anarchists did support independence, seeing it as an anti colonial fight against Spanish imperialism and an opportunity to transform the island along anarchist principles. Figures like Jose Garcia, Rafael Serra, and Adrian del Valle promoted anarchist internationalism while also seek in Cuban national liberation. The final three months that conflict escalated with US involvement becoming known as the Spanish American War, and following Spain's defeat, the US briefly occupied Cuba with the promise of greater autonomy in the future. Of course, we all know how that promised to endow with repeated interventions Kim Crowen anarchist opposition. The US occupiers overhauled the Cuban education system and introduced a new model influenced by American principles, emphasizing liberal arts, manual instruction, and civic education to republicanize the children of Cuba and promote democracy. In spite of some reforms, the Cuban education system still suffered corruption, inadequate and infrastructure, and overcrowded classrooms. In eighteen ninety nine, just a year after independence, the Workers Alliance organized a mason's strike which extended into the construction trade and also led to several arrests and the overall repression of the anarchists. This is a persistent theme, of course.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean it's interesting, how like in a lot of like the political stuff we learned about Cuba, it's more based on like the socialist and more communist struggles of the twentieth century. And I knew that there were like anarchists active before that and even during that time period as well, but there is a lot of this that seems to be not nearly as talked about it emphasized as the later more socialist leaning struggles that came.
Speaker 6: And you'll notice that, you know, in places where the Marxists won, basically any of the pre Marxist victory history of anarchists involvement tends to be diminished to ever raised entirely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like in literally every in every struggle all across the world where that's happened. That does seem to be the case.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly when I found this information and my mind was blowing, you know, I had no idea all of this was going on. Yeah, the fact that from as early as Prudon's lifetime, there were anarchists in Cuba organizing associations.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, yeah, in like the eighteen fifties and it.
Speaker 6: Gets bigger, a lot more takes place. I haven't even really breached the other twentieth century yet. That's when things really kick off.
Speaker 4: Let's get to that after this message from our sponsors. All right, we are back. Let's return to Andrew's discussion of anarchism in Cuba.
Speaker 6: Yes, so so. Also in eighteen ninety nine, some new anarchist projects dropped onto the scene. You know, you had the Liga General de Travadores or General League of Workers, which emerged with the back in the Missonia and another anarchist ramone Rivero eve Rivero, and also the publication Tierra, which was founded by anarchists Abelardo Savedra and Francisco Gonzalees Sola. And the publication El Nuevo Idl was also founded, but it only lasted a couple of years. Notably, it loudly opposed the US's plans for ANIX and Cuba and the introduction of the plat Amendment to the Cuban Constitution, which would provide pretense for US intervention in the future. The plat Amendment was really that point in the Cuban constitution that would justify us infusion and involvement for years to come. Here's a little easter egg, a little fun fact. It will come you. In fact, you could call him a run income you for the anarchist worldwide, a familiar face because he showed up in Havana in this year, and he also showed up in Egypt during their anarchist struggle for those who remember that episode, any ideas.
Speaker 4: Too to try to think of this time period who at this.
Speaker 6: Point, at this point you could call him mister worldwide, the anarchist, mister Worldwide.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think so. I think I'll only make a fool of myself.
Speaker 6: Yeah. The one and only Erko Malichester arrives in Cuba.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, okay, that makes sense, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, mister worldwide. Of course, it didn't take long before he was barred from speaking in public and he very quickly had to leave Cuba, but he was there. He did show up and let me reach the you know, the turn of the century. Right just after the turn of the century, on May twentieth nineteen oh two, the First Republic of Cuba was inaugurated with the recognition of the US, but despite the survey opposition, the US retained influence over Cuba with that plat amendment. With independence, many Cubans aspired to build a more egalitarian nation. The Cuban anarchists continued to struggle even as they were becoming disillusioned by the continued prioritization of individual profits of a society, wellbon the oppression of labor and the terrible educational systems. They had their first truly general strike in nineteen oh two, known as the Apprentice Strike, but it was suppressed and failed, and with its failure, leading figures in the Lega Heeneral de Trebadores like Messonniea and Rivero Yirverro, retired from the labour struggle. A year later, in nineteen oh three, anarchists organized in the sugar industry, which was met with a violent response from the owners, including the murder of two prominent anarchist figures, Casanias and Buntero. The year before the US recognition of Cuban independence in nineteen oh one, just across the pond in Spain, Francisco Ferrer had found that his first modern school. Ferrer is an icon in the sphere of anarchist education for his pioneer and efforts as anarchists and Cuba condemn in public schools for their condition pedagogy, patriotic indoctrination, and lack of critical thinking. They were inspired by they alternative education rooted in rationalism and free inquiry that was introduced by Ferrer.
Speaker 4: At this point, is there like a decent bit of communication between the anarchists in Spain and the anarchists in Cuba, because all the stuff you've been mentioning sounds very reminiscent of some of like the anarchosympicalist models that would grow to more prominence in Spain in the coming decades.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: In this field, Yeah, it feels very very similar.
Speaker 6: There was a very large Spanish immigrant community in Cuba at the time of Spanish workers, and that would actually end up biting the anarchist movement in the but later on and you know, you'll see how Okay, Yeah, there was a lot of there was a lot of cross pollination between the Spanish anarchists and the Cuban anarchists that makes sense. In many cases they were both Spanish and Cuba. Sure, and so when for Popstar with this school in Barcelona and in other places in Spain. I mean, the Cuban Anarchists had already been organized in education before, as their program had always sought to raise consciousness and prepare for social revolution. But Ferrer offered that extra dose of inspiration.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: His modern schools introduced things like free play and individual liberty and really inspired the founding of educational experiments across Europe, Asia and the Americas. In nineteen oh five, Covino Vilar opened for that a co educational primary and secondary school in Havana, following Frea's principles of free in Korean individual liberty. In nineteen oh six, the CEES School was established in Regular, embracing the advanced pedagogical perspective methods of these Spanish Anarchists schools. And that very same year, nineteen oh six, the US intervened in Cuba again. You know, they can't even let decade go by of independence before they say, nap were stepping in, you know. So of course, in response, strikes breakout in Havana, Siego de a Vila and Santiago de Cuba anyway, so that's going on, and anarchists are also organized and speaking tours. In nineteen oh eight, anarchists formed the group at Ucaciondale Porvenir or Education of the Future in Regular which sought to established modern schools across the island. The LGA Heneral de Trabahadories also got involved in the group's efforts. Unfortunately, internal conflicts and financial difficulties undermined the initial wave of anarchist schools in this time. Meanwhile, private school options, particularly of the religious variety, were proliferated across Cuba. Eventually, in nineteen oh nine, Ferrero was arrested and executed by Spanish authorities, which actually triggered a protest in Cuba and also triggered resistance elsewhere in the world. That would simultaneously seek to advocate his ideas further and of course, was to honor his memory. Turning out went to the nineteen tens. It was a very eventful period. Let's just say, you know, the Mexican Revolution was a current which inspired Cubas workers and peasants. The Mexican Revolution was a current and that inspired Cuba's workers and peasants there was actually, just as there was cross pollination between Spanish anarchists and Cuban anarchists, there was cross pollination between Cuban anarchists and Mexican anarchists, you know, anarchists. Ricardo Flores Magon, a Titanic figure in Mexican revolution, actually had a stand in a relationship with the Cuban paper Tierra, as the paper was critical of the Mexican dictator of the time, Portfyrio DS. So while the guns of the revolutionary Imiliano Zapata were firing in Mexico, tobacco workers, teamsters and bakers were striking in Cuba. In nineteen twelve, a congress was formed in Crusius with the aim to create an island wide labor federation. But another significant event occurred in nineteen twelve. You see, all this time, Afrocubans will play in significant roles in the island's labor movements, particularly through strikes such as the eighteen ninety nine Mason strike and the sugar workers' struggles. Despite this, they were dealing with a lot of political and cultural persecution and faced high literacy rates, job discrimination, and disenfranchisement due to literacy and property requirements. For voting. Naturally, Afrocubans wanted to fight against this, so they formed their own political party, the Independent Party of Color or PIC, and the government quickly outlawed it, which triggered several violent attacks on PIC supporter meetings throughout nineteen twelve. It was essentially a race riot, and it killed as many as six thousand Afrocubans and resulted in another nine hundred thrown in jail and charged with rebellion. This time, the anarchist response was weaker than it could have been. Writers like Adrian del Vallier and Eugenio Leante presented pressed the importance of education and the good upbringing of children to root out the racist attitudes that led to the massacre. Writers like Adrian de la Vallei and Eugenio Leante pressed the importance of education and the importance of a good upbringing of children to root out the racial attitudes. The racist attitudes that led to the massacre, as those attitudes are still present a mere generation after ablition. The anarchists were, as would be consisted of the principles critical of the PIC's political approach of bourgeois elections, but they did admire Africuman culture and recognize their contributions to workers liberation movements, but as far as I can tell, they didn't do much else beyond education to combat racist attitudes, likely feeling powerless to prevent the violence in nineteen twelve due to their own repression by the state. And of course, it isn't a binary of Africubans and anarchists, as there were Africubans in the anarchist movement, including problem figures like Raphael Sarah who remained active into the nineteen forties, the printer Pablo Guira, and Margarito Iglesias, who is the black anarchist leader of the Manufacturers Union in nineteen twenties. Still, despite this overlap, the anarchists still couldn't shake their perception as white and foreigners, which.
Speaker 4: Is still a dynamic at play today with anarchists as people free anarchists. Saul is like white teenagers, I guess, and will often discount the presence of black anarchists and other anarchists or people of color.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm a bit of at a loss as to what I could say, like from this arm chair position, that they could have done differently in nineteen twelve. Sure, they definitely could have stepped up in tried with what to defend those communities and to start with those communities and solidarity. But at the same time, I wasn't there in nineteen twelve, so I'm not sure how things played out. But I do think that while the heart is in the right place with education to roots out racist attitudes, you know, consciousness raising is one thing which you really do have to, you know, put yourself on the line when it comes to defending marginalized groups, especially if you're coming from opposition of relative privilege, being white, to be in Spanish, in you know, recently post colonial Cuba, barely even post colonial Cuba, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I'm in the same position as you here or even further possessing an inability to try to critique from the twenty first century. But do you know what I do feel comfortable in calling is this next ad break?
Speaker 5: All right, we are back.
Speaker 4: Let's return to our discussion of anarchistsm in Cuba in the nineteen tenths.
Speaker 6: So in nineteen thirteen, as we was speaking of the repression of the anarchist movement, the third President of Cuba would step up, that is, General Mario Garcia Menocal and during his reign, the government would ramp up the repression of the anarchists with the passing of anti anarchist laws and the closure of anarchist organizations. There were crackdowns against the radical activities from nineteen fourteen on and the suspension of the Tierra publication and the deportation of many anarchists. Because in spite of the oppression, the anarchists movement began to recover by nineteen seventeen with the Centro Oberero or Worker's Center being established in Havana lead into resurgence of anarchist education and organized activity. Between nineteen eighteen and nineteen nineteen four general strikes a breakout in Havana and the US sent a flotilla in response to the disorder. The government suspended constitutional guarantees, deported even more anarchists, and closed the Centrol Obrero. Around this time, you also had the anaqual Naturists, which I really don't know where to fit into all of this, so I'll just put them here to give you from the repression.
Speaker 4: Naturists.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, So let's take this as like a breath of fresh air from all of the repression and against anarchists. By the state you had the anquo naturists.
Speaker 4: That's what I haven't heard before. Are these like old timey green anarchists.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 6: No, I'll actually be the judge of that. I'll actually the that.
Speaker 4: It's like actual naturist philosophy. Yes, ah, oh weird.
Speaker 6: Yes. The naturist movement was developed in Europe and North America during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and it focused on alternative personal health and lifestyle practices such as adopted vegetarianism, exercise, nudism, and small village life to combat the effects of industrial mass society.
Speaker 4: Okay, so there is like little tidbits of like anarchop of like what would become anarcho primitivism in here, but it's definitely not like a one to one overlap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, especially not in Cuba. In Cuba, the anarchists aimed to shift the naturist movements focused away from primarily individual health concerns to an emphasis on social emaspiratory themes. So why in nineteen ten you had lectures on nitarismo and although it didn't have the broader emaspiratory dimensions initially, later in the decade, the movement would gain its momentum and the Nature's Association would expand to establish branches across Cuba and even Tampa, Florida.
Speaker 4: Huh Okay.
Speaker 6: Now, anacin naturism in Cuba wasn't too big on the nudism aspect of the naturism, but they did emphasize the vegetarian self sufficiency against the reliance and capitalism and so to learn and teach alternative medicine to help people deal with the health problems brought about by factory and field work and toxic living conditions. Okay, I know the anical nature has actually lasted well into the nineteen fifties, so good for them. But let's get back into the timeline. If you know anything about history, you know what significant event takes place in Russia in nineteen seventeen. The Russian Revolution would reverberate across the landscape of workers struggles for decades to come. In the next episode, we'll see how the Bolsheviks rise would shape the anarchist movement in Cuba leading up to the Rise of Castro, as well as how anarchists have endured since then until then. And it could happen here. And this is Andrewism. I'll pout to all the people peace, Welcome to could happen here. I'm Andrew Sage of futuree Channel Antraism. I'm again joined by Garrison. Say hello again, Hello again.
Speaker 4: See see what it did there? Very very good, very original, and very funny, fantastic.
Speaker 6: So last time we were discussing the forgotten history of Cuban anarchism, I mean took you by surprise. It's you by surprise, and I think it's taken some of the audience by surprise too. You know the fact that from the very first Prunian and Mutualist Society in eighteen fifty seven, to the rise of the anarchist organizations, the strike activities that the schools, to even the anequ niaturists, all of this was going on from the mid nineteenth century all the way into the early twentieth century, even in the height of repression in the nineteen tenths, and the cycle of US intervention as well.
Speaker 4: I guess what I'm kind of curious about in this time period is, like before like the Socialist Revolution, were like the anarchists more prominent than some of like the actual communists.
Speaker 6: For my research, it does seem so yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that's that's kind of what it sounds like. They were kind of the main political block for like almost seventy five years.
Speaker 6: Well things things do make it to in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the main the main political block on like like the like the left specifically, I guess, like the if you count anarchism as part of the left, which means for the case of simplicity, let's say.
Speaker 6: Sure, I don't, yes, but listenly I wouldn't be caught dead at here and to like French political taxonomy, but.
Speaker 4: Totally me in terms of its relation to like labor, especially especially this time period of like I.
Speaker 6: Know what you mean, I just like being difficult.
Speaker 4: Sometimes absolutely, I mean yeah that is, I agree with you in a lot of cases. But from a like a historical standpoint, it kind of makes sense when like all these almost all these people are like anarcho communists or anarcho synicalists.
Speaker 6: Or I mean you did have the anarcineaturists too, and the anarcho naturist.
Speaker 4: There you go, the three genders.
Speaker 6: And I mean t I completely mutualists as well. I mean, honestly, the divide, the stringent divide between the anarchist schools of thought wouldn't really come into play until we get into like the the twentieth century.
Speaker 4: So which we are entering right now.
Speaker 6: Yes, which we have vented. So where do we leave off? We left off on the big bang that was the Russian Revolution. Remember I said that things will take her turn. That is the turn the Russian wizard has been killed. Sad. Indeed, I promise to discuss how the death of that Russian wizard would impact Cuba going forward into the nineteen twenties and beyond. So there we are akiestamos once again, this infost thanks to the work of Kuen R. Shaffer, Stephen J. Hush, Lucien van der Walt, Sam Dolgov and Frank Fernandez. So in nineteen twenty the anarchists formed a Congress to advocate a series of immediate and transitory economic measures to resolve the high cost of living brought about by the decrease in sugar prices, because you remember, Cuba's economy was dependent on sugar and tobacco and coffee. They also formed the Archist sutter is the confederaci Nacional de Tobajo or a national confederation of workers. Following the Bolshevik victory in Russia. It took a minute for the world to find out what happened to all the anarchists in Russia. I mean, it was the nineteen twenties. They didn't have Twitter. But in the meantime, the anarchists sent a fraternal salute to the brothers who in Russia have established the USSR. Which is interesting.
Speaker 4: And ye, that is interesting.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's like a whole thing. Come in.
Speaker 4: It's exciting for the time though, right like you're seeing like this thing finally happen. You're like, oh, we have like we have like a real chance.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, but I mean I feel like it's like a two panel meme, you know, it's like the.
Speaker 5: Victory before the Yeah, very much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean they knew that the anarchists. But they did know, of course, was the anarchists had a visible and vital role in that revolution. Absolutely reality that has unfortunately forgotten today but very well known back then. So the rise of the Soviets, it seemed as though the dream of three generations of struggles against the injustices of capitalism of the state had reached its conclusion. Again, they didn't know what happened to the Anarchists and the Lenin. Yet their attitude of jubilation towards the success of the Bolsheviks would of course change very shortly, but the anarchists in Cuba still had some hope in unity, though despite some debate amongst themselves about aligning with the Marxists in Cuba see At the time, the anarchost syndicalist movement was leading the formation of labor organizations and federations with figures like Alfredo Lopez and Antonio Pinichet, and while they were largely in favor of cross sectarian alliances and collaboration in the promotion of alternative education projects, and after the Congress of nineteen twenty Cuba's workers pressed their demands with renewed force in solidarity all together, leading to bombings and Havana and another general strike on medi Figures like Penichet and Salinas were jailed and a bomb was set off in the Teatro Nacional in protest. So Initially condemned to death, Penichet and Salinas were eventually pardoned and released at the beginning of nineteen twenty one, with the fall of Garcio Mencalists government. This is when Fedrozias's moderate government came into power, and this is when the Anarchos Syndicolas Feracion Oprera de la Habana or FOH or Workers Cleation of Havana was founded. The Workers Federation of Havana inaugurated its rational School and library in nineteen twenty two, aiming to counter public and private education emphasis on religion and patriotism. In nineteen twenty five, the second Congresso Nacional Oprero is celebrated in San Fuegos and the Confederacio Nacabrera the Cuba or National Confederation of Human Workers or SCENOC, is founded by anachosyndicalists in Kama Way. The SCENOC was a big tent organization, so although it was initially led by anachosyndicalists, there were reformists and Marxist elements in there as well, and you'll see the results of big tent organization very soon. Also nineteen twenty five, the Partido Communista Kubano or PCC was founded in Havana, and in nineteen twenty five there was a strike among railway and sugar workers which would provoke government repression and the nineteen twenty five Gerardo Machado would be elected to the office of presidency. Now pay attention to the PCC because they become relevant again later on.
Speaker 4: They're going to be a recurring character.
Speaker 6: Yes. So President Gerardo Machado's administration vowed to suppress worker militancy, lead into an another crackdown on foreigners and radicals, including the anarchist schools, and marking another decline of the anarchist movements influence. But despite repression under the Macharo dictatorship, anarchists continued to agitate, with some fleeing into exile and overall refusing to cooperate with the government. They founded militant groups such as Espartaco and Losildarios and later the Federation the Federacion de Groupos Anarchistas de Cuba or FGC. They engaged in street fighting against the government and also in several failed assassination attempts against Machado. I don't know what it is with Cuban leaders, but they seem to have trouble getting assassinated. So while the anarchists and I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, presumably some Marxists were engaged in such resistance and I say presumably because I didn't they were into focus of my research. But from what I could see was the anarchists who were engaged in such resistance. Anyway, that's tangential. The operatives of the Popular Socialist Party or PSP chose to make compromises with the various dictatorial governments in order to be allowed control of the labor unions as well as some other pooks.
Speaker 4: Well, that doesn't sound like it could result in any problems.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so lock in here, okay. The PSP would later be absorbed by the organizac Revolution Scenarios in Tigradas, which would later become the Partido Unido de la Revolution Socialista the Cuba, which would later be refounded as the Partido Communista Gubano or PCC the Cuban Anarchists part cubas the Communist part of Cuba.
Speaker 4: There's like this weird loop happening here.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, So the PSP would go on to become part of the PCC, even though when they were initially founded, the PSP and the PCC with separate organizations totally okay, So coming into the nineteen thirty Starting with nineteen thirty, a streetcar strike led to a general strike, backed by almost all of the unions. The strike failed, unfortunately due to a poor planning by the SCENOC, which had come into the hands of the PCC. You see, with the continuous deportation, exile and murder of anarchists by the Machado government, the Marxists and the SCENOC, who had been taken orders from the PCC the whole time, were told, Okay, now it's your chance, take advantage of the situation. The anarchists out of the way, let's take over the SCENOC. So in nineteen thirty three, another transportation strike breaks out in Havana, which leads to another general strike and further violence, and the PCC used their control over the SCENOC to make a deal with Mature Shado and the general strike, even though they were not the ones that started in the first.
Speaker 4: Place, making a deal to end a strike that they didn't start. Indeed, very very cool stuff.
Speaker 6: Now they called this real politic power move the August Eraror, But to me, that's way too soft considering what they did. You see, it was no mayor whoopsie. You know. The PCC ordered the strike and workers to return to their jobs and they tried to work with Machado's murderous secret police to make that happen.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's just like counterinsurgency.
Speaker 6: Thankfully, the PCC's attempt to sick my shadows dogs on the strike and workers failed due to the resistance of the anarchists of the Havana Federation of Labor and other organized labor forces.
Speaker 4: It's it's funny how like it's it's not the same things happen now, I guess, but very similar things happen while you have like these like big above ground kind of orgs. They'll try to make concessions with with like whether that's like like police or with like whatever kind of institution that people are like opposing. They'll have these these big, like you know, big groups trying trying to make concessions, and it's always left to the anarchists to be like, no, we actually have to keep fighting. This actually doesn't this sort of this this this sort of like attempts at calling like victory or trying to end things actually is not what you claim it to be, and we have to keep going. And it's is something that always falls back on like some of the more anarchist aligned contingents in popular struggles.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I see why the why the old anarchists get a bit jaded and crotchet tea, you know, because yeah, you see these feelings happening again and again, Like why you cheer in, you know, like you have not one you know, this is not a victory. This is the precursor to squad wipe, to like absolute defeat. You know, yeah, game over. But unfortunately some people have to to learn, it seems. Unfortunately, until we speak more prominently of the mistakes of the past, more honestly of the mistakes of the past, instead of this sort of whitewashed oh the glorious revolutionary movements of the past. Oh, you know, like wow, so cool. Until we start to like engage honest without history and like the mistakes and whatnot, these kind of things are just going to continue to happen, you know. And that's why I also appreciate, you know, the sort of honesty that anarchists have, where they'll be willing to call I mean not not all you know, especially new anarchists tend to be more defensive, but and I appreciate the willness to call out like what the CNT did in Spain that was wrong, or what the Black Arm in Ukraine did that was wrong.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't have to follow a lot like the party line.
Speaker 6: Sweeping like you have to defend their honor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, we don't have to like follow along the party line in the same way that all these other groups seem to do. There is a much more open consideration towards critiquing things that even you feel like you can learn from and you feel like we're like like struggles like struggles worth learning from and struggles worth fighting for. But you don't have this the need to be like you have to defend every single thing that X person did because it's like, I know it, it gets it gets very weird when you have these like nineteen year old communists who are like, no, Stalin's good actually, which is a whole other topic, but but yeah, even in like smaller scale things, just the resistance to having to to adhere to the party line on a lot of a lot of these topics when you just don't have a party so it allows you to be way more open in your consideration of what has worked, what hasn't worked.
Speaker 6: Yeah, free association for the win.
Speaker 4: I don't have a funny ad pivot based on free association. But here's some ads that you can freely listen to if you desire.
Speaker 5: All right, we're back.
Speaker 6: So the very same month that the PCC tried and failed to call off a strike that they never started in the first place, Machado was forced from office by a military coup backed by the US working with several political factions, including the PCC. So the PCC was kind of playing both sides. They were like, yeah, let's let's work with Machado, and then that's also like help over through Machado a lot of stings. Huh, very interesting. Yeah, So that coup, along with the nineteen thirty three revolution, it was part of resulting from the opposition of the human people to President MacHall those attempts to keep himself in power with flames further fanned by the widespread misery caused by the economic collapse of nineteen twenty nine. Anarchists were, of course participants in the strikes and the revolutionary actions during this time. Military forces and student activists were also very much involved. So Carlos Manuel de Sispires i Quesada came to lead a provisional government which led to the installation of a new government led by a five man coalition known as the Pentarchy of nineteen twenty three. But after only five days, the Pentarchy gave way to the presidency of Ramon Grau San Martin, whose term became known as the one hundred Days Government for obvious reasons. It really only lasted about one hundred days because it decided to defy the US and remove the Platinum nment from the Cuban constitution, and it also introduced the eight hour workday and tried to intervene in the American owned electrical and telephone utility companies. But before you sell that government as a champion of the work in people, it also contributed to the suppression of the Cuban anarchist movement, which had a significant foreign born labor base, with the introduction of the fifty percent law, which forced owners to reserve at least half their jobs for Cubans. That law prompted many of the Spanish anarchists, remember they were a very prominent part of the anarchist movement in Cuba. That prompted them to return to Spain, where as you may know, a civil war would kick off rather soon, so the leader of the revolt against one hundred Days Government was Sergeant Fulgencio Battista, who became the head of the armed Forces and began a long period of influence on Cuban politics. The summer of nineteen thirty three obviously marked the end of the cooperative relationship between Cuban anarchists and communists, you know, because of the whole PCC sicond matalist dogs and the anarchists and all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could see that being non conducive to a working part.
Speaker 6: It's a toxic, toxic situation, you know. They had. They'll have to copearents they labor movement separately. Anyway, say a violence when you rere up between the two groups. The Federacion de Groupos and Akista's de Cuba or FGEC published a manifesto denouncing the traitor's actions of the PCC in collaboration with Minchado. In nineteen thirty five, the PCC exposed its alignment for all to see see after Bautista basically told the PCC, yeah, don't call a general strike. After the PCs he tried to call a general strike, the PCC was like, Okay, we won't call a general strike, and then the PCC adopted Moscow's popular front line and basically aligned themselves with Batista. And what's interesting is, you see, but what Bosistera desperately needed to secure his legitimacy was an electoral base. Basically, he needed a large group of people to say we back his leadership.
Speaker 4: Sure, he needed some form of like legitimacy exactly.
Speaker 6: And so the PCC, in aligning themselves with Batista, they created that electoral base for his growing secretorial ambitions. You see, he started off as a president before he became like a full on dictator. Many such cases, many such cases. And the one of the historians I was telling you about, Fernando Fernandez, he wrote that the PCC actually offered Batista a deal, put in all of the machinery of Cuban and international communism at his service, and it promised to deliver votes in the coming elections, which Batista badly needed. In exchange, the PCC was to be given the recently government created Confederaci Tahadoris to Cuba, the CTC, the Cuban Confederation of Workers, and the CTC was basically meant to be the largest, most centralized Levo organization in Cuba. One they would combine all of the existing factions.
Speaker 4: Okay that yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: And unlike the previous umbrella organization, which as you may remember, was the SCENOC, the CTC was meant to be ideological. It was meant to marry unionism to the state. It was meant to be under the control of Batista through the PCC from the very beginning. You know, the Seaknocks started off being led by anarchos syndicalists, but it was big ten so it was like, you know, bringing all the ideologies, but no, the CTC is like, yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Are explicitly stayed aligned.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Meanwhile, you know, in nineteen thirty six, the Spanish Civil War would erupt, and you know, the Cuban anarchists who when solidarity with the Spanish anarchists, would establish the Solidary Dad Internacional Anti anti Fascista to aid them, and some of them even went to Spain to participate. But by nineteen thirty nine, with the defeat of the Spanish Republic, surviving Cuban anarchists returned to the island.
Speaker 4: In the nineteen forties, It's interesting because when they returned, they also returned with a lot more like experience as well. Indeed, I wonder if that will lead to anything.
Speaker 6: We'll see.
Speaker 12: Curious.
Speaker 6: So, in the nineteen forties, over one hundred delegates met at the Mortazo ranch to establish the Associacion Libertaria the Cuba or ALC. Since the Stalinist dominated CTC had purged anarchists and other militant labor activists, the ALC was formed to challenge state control and Stalinists influence within the labor movement. The ALC held a congress attended by one hundred and fifty five delegates in nineteen forty eight, and in that congress it discussed the creation of a libertarian society in Cuba, and they established the Solidary Dad Gastronomica, which was a publication meant to serve as their official organ. Carlos Prio Socaras assumed the QAN presidency in nineteen forty eight following the presidency of Ramon Grau San Martin, because he actually got another chance to be president after one hundred day's government, and then you had a few filler presidents after that, and then you had Batista's run as president. But anyway, so Prio becomes president and the anarchists try and fail to create a new labor confederation. The Confederaci in general the Tagories was CGT and it was meant to be independent of the CTC. Unfortunately, thanks to reformist elements, the Stalinists and the government, it suffered under an extensive propaganda campaign against the initiative in both the Cuban communications media and then the officially approved unions. But despite everything, the anarchists were enduring on the grassroots level, and they were anarchist militants scattered everywhere and anarchist propagandists in every provincial capital. By the way, it is interesting that the Stalinists would gleefully purge the anarchists to appease their own phase for power earlier in the decade, considering that they themselves would be expelled from their posts in the CTC by the government Under US pressure, PreO declared the PSP illegal, motivating the Stylists to eye themselves yet again with their old body, old pal Fulgencio Batista. In nineteen fifty, the ALC would hold another congress, a meant to reorganize the Cuban union movements against its control by bureaucrats, politicians, cults, and religionists. The Congress repudiated the CTC and dedicated itself to maintain the CGT's struggle in spite of President Prio's repression. In nineteen fifty two, Batista took power in a coup, and the LC joined other revolutionary groups in armed resistance to the dictatorship in the cities and the countryside. Despite facing imprisonment, torture, and kidnapping, they challenged Batista's rule through propaganda, distribution, Klandestine activity, and coordinated sabotage efforts. They even worked with groups like the Directorial Revoluse Scenario, the Federation of University Students, and elements within castorerst Group, the M twenty sixth G the Antony sixth J. By the way, despite taking credit for everything, had little to no involvement in many of the uprisings that took place in this period. They tried at one point to call a general strike, but it was badly organized and uncoordinated with other revolutionary groups, so you know, of course it failed. Meanwhile, the ALC's meeting hole not only distributed information and coordinated sabotage efforts, but even taught some of Castro's fighters how to shoot firearms.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: By December thirty first, nineteen fifty eight. Also, it's very sad that they would teach some of Castro's fighters how to shoot firearms, considering you know, the direction those firearms we shoot. It end very soon.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is tragically ironic.
Speaker 6: So December their first, nineteen fifty eight, Batista flees Cuba, marking the end of his regime and the beginning of a new era. As Castro's revolutionary government gain power, tensions would rise as he consolidated control and marginalized dissent in voices. Any hope anarchists had for social change following nineteen fifty nine would be crushed by the increase in centralization, bureaucraticization of the government, further purges of anarchists from the CTC, which, by the way, they renamed the CTC R as in CTC Revolutionary, and they also militarized. And they also militarized it. You know, if they forced a bunch of the workers to create militias, and you know, with Castro's public alignment with Marxism Leninism, the suppression the revolutionary tribunals and the exile of anarchists and other dissidents. In January nineteen sixty, the ALC held an assembly and expressed support for the Cuban Revolution while rejecting dictatorship everywhere. By the end of the year, stud published the final issue of their publication, So darry Dad Gatunomica. The LC fell under government pressure, and unlike previous Cuban governments, Castro's regime was extra blood thirsty with the working class and peasant dissenters. That same year, the Grupo the Sindecalistas Libertarios is suited document criticizing the Cuban government's direction. Fearing the increase in totalitarianism, they had to change their name to avoid reprisals. As a pecc's organ, OI responded to the group O the Snekalistas Libertarios document with insults and accusations. That same year, the movie Miento Deaccion Syndical began circulating a bulletin critical of the PCC and Castro. They too would be suppressed. After the failed Bay of Pigs invasion in nineteen sixty one, Castro's government intensified its suppression of opposition, including anarchists. The anarchist movement also bore a terrible betrayal as Manuel Guiona Susa, a prominent anarchist, betrayed his comrades by endorsing the cashier regime and denouncing the anarchists who opposed it. Some anarists would end up in prison somewhat fled to Florida, where they would unfortunately be grouped to the Batista supporters who would also fled to Florida at that time, and an international solidarity effort emerged with donations from various anarchist groups worldwide to aid the Cuban anarchists escape. The anarchists that fled to Cure formed the Movimiento Libertario Cubano in Exilio the mcl or Cuban anarchist movement in exile, and continued to advocate for anarchist principles to publications like Guangara Libertaria. The New York based Libertarian League, led by figures like Sam Dogoff, provided critical support to these exiles. But what really sucks the Cuban anarchists had to struggle to garner support from their fellow anarchists around the world. Thanks to the propaganda efforts to the Castro regime. The Cuman anarchists was made as CIA agents, which is umi recoll still a favorite tactic of campus authoritarians.
Speaker 4: Interesting and yeah, interesting to see how it's literally the same.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 6: In fact, one anarchist group in South America, the Federacion Anarchista Uruguaya, even split between pro and anti Castro factions. The procast Room majority went on to join the Marxist Lendinis Supermaros in Yuguay. Eventually the Federrazion Anachika Italiana. The FAIT organized a conference in Bologna in nineteen sixty five to address the confusion among anarchists globally regarded in Cuba. They came out of that conference condemning casteurism and express in support for Cuban anarchists. But despite the efforts of Abelardo I Glasias to present the Cuban anarchists viewpoint, many anarchist groups in Europe and Latin Americas still aligned with casteurism view and criticism of the regime as opposition to the broader socialist revolution. But despite the skepticism of their payers and the refusal of some anarchist publications to even hear them out. The Cuban anarchists continued the activism in exile. They published works to denounce in the Castier regime and sought to clarify their position within the global anarchist movement. Back in Cuba, the remaining anarchists dwindled in size, as most had either left or rotten in prison. In the seventies and beyond, the Cuban anarchists faced isolation and defamation. They still accused this day of being in service of reaction. It's only with Sam Dolkov's book The Cuban Revolution Critical Perspective in nineteen seventy six that attitudes began to shift reade into a gradual reassessment of the MLCE within the anarchist community. In nineteen seventy nine, the MLSE renewed ties with the Anarchist Confederacio National Debajo, SASH Association International Rosador the CNTIT during to congress in Madrid. Subsequent publications and articles further clarified the mlce's position and cashtroism, marking the end of a long and damaging chapter of derision against them. In nineteen eighty, Guangara Libertaria emerged as a new platform for Cuban anarchists in exile. Initially cautious in its advocacy due to the hostile political climate in Miami, Guangara gradually became more explicitly anarchist and critical of both Castros regime and the reactionary exile community. It played a significant role in challenging Procastro narratives and fostering international solidarity among anarchists. As of recently as in the twenty first century, the Taire Libertario Alfreedro Lopez or Alfero Lopez Libertarian Workshop has published a few pieces on anarchism in the Cuban context. They even took part in the creation of the Central American and Caribbean Anarchist Federation, And before anyone asks, I haven't found a way to get in contact with them yet. The recent decentralized protests in Cuba sparked a deluge of conflicting narratives from various sources. We're on one side, Cuban authorities and leftist supporters defended the regime, blaming the economic crisis and health challenges on the US blockade, while treating Cuban critics with one broad reactionary brush. On the other, hand, we had the right wing media criticizing the lack of freedoms under the communist government. While amidst this, anarchists sought a deeper understanding, seeking neither alignment with the US nor the Cuban government, but seeking understanding of the needs of the people frustrated by the poser pandemic and the failures of the government. The condition that Cuba is in now obviously is due to the impact of the US's blockade, which should be lifted immediately, but it shouldn't be missed that the government uses the blockade to divert attention from other matters where it does deserve significant critique. Emergency measures were eventually implemented appease the protesters, but it remains to be seen what the outcome of that frustration of the people will be in the long term. As Francisco Finandez wrote in Cuban Anarchism, The History of a Movement, hopefully there are those in this generation who will take up the legacy of their forebearers so that the roots of anarchism that are now buried in the fertile Cuban soil will once again spring to life. Anyway, this has been the forgotten history of anarchism in Cuba. This has been it could happen here, and this has been Andrew's age. All power to all the people. Peace.
Speaker 5: Welcome to it could happen here. A podcast where my old bookstore from college is unionized and I'm very excited about it. I'm your host, Bio Wong, and with me to talk about this this tremendous event are Caleb Theo and Finn from the Seminary co Op Booksellers Union. Yeah, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank so much for having us. This is so excited you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited to you both because I think somehow in the molt that I got almost three years I've been doing this show now, Jesus Christ, that is terrifying. Somehow, I think this is the first bookstore union we've talked to, which is remarkable. I don't know how it's taken this long, but I'm so excited that y'all that y'all the first.
Speaker 13: I mean, as far as we know, we're the first in the city of Chicago.
Speaker 5: Hell yeah, we're.
Speaker 12: The only in the city. There are like past bookstores that have since closed which were unionized. But yeah, as best we know we're now we're currently the only union bookstore in the city of Chicago, proper.
Speaker 5: God, maybe there's one up in Evanston or something, but seems unlikely. This is, this is I don't know. I've been, I've been. I've been drilling. I've been drilling the Evanston knowledge into my listeners' heads. Now, so now all of you people in Rhode Island or whatever know about my hatred of Evanston.
Speaker 12: An extremely fair grudge.
Speaker 5: Okay, So speaking of grudges, all right, sobody, co op is it's it's it's an interesting bookstore in the sense that like it's it's it is on the campus of the University of Chicago, like it's just it's just sort of there. And there's been a lot of things happening on that campus in the past month or so. But yeah, I guess what I wanted to I guess the place I wanted to start was sort of Okay, so you, Chicago is a campus that has a lot of union organizing happening on it in a bunch of across a bunch of different kind of they're mostly university unions, but a lot of different all different kinds of workers and the university have unions. How did that sort of impact the way this campaign started.
Speaker 11: That's a really good question. I I feel like there's a few things I want to talk about. I think there's the the fact that a lot of us booksellers who come to the sem co op were coming from Many of us came from New Chicago or had been there at some point and had been around that kind of organizing. So I think that that definitely has an impact. I also think that many of us know people because so many of us are in the community. We all know a lot of people who are organizers, a lot of people in the grad student union, and having them to talk to and kind of like bounce ideas off of and commiserate all of that has been really great.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And like I think it's been very emboldening to know that we have that support, you know that because we have friends and comrades and roommates in GSU, in faculty unions, you know, the kind of the whole time, we've known that, like if we ever need to draw on that external support for any kind of you know, public campaign, that we have like a connection to like a broader labor of movement in the area that'll be there for us.
Speaker 5: This is something I guess you've already touched on a bit, but I think this leads into another question that I had, which was, Yeah, I wanted to talk about the sort of the influence of campus and how how how the dynamics of that kind of change, what these what these campaigns look like.
Speaker 13: It's really interesting because our relationship to campus is a little bit unclear to us in terms of the way that the bookstore functions in relation to its university partners, because we work with them very closely. There are landlord among many other things, but we are not directly affiliated with them, and we carry course books, but that's by professor request and we can't always do it, and so it's a really close, really opaque relationship.
Speaker 1: I think the university.
Speaker 11: Really likes to have a bookstore that isn't like university affiliated on paper, but still very much is a part of the culture of the university, and so we see a lot of that kind of inform things like our stock and the events that the UH professors that we work with, and of course like the students who come in and use the space and are physically in the space every day doing work buying their books.
Speaker 5: It's it's always weird kind of doing organizing in these spaces because like I don't know, you you're you're dealing with this mixture. Well U Chicago especially is like this where there's it's this really kind of weird and volatile mixture of like a bunch of on the one hand, like a bunch of very brave, very committed like people who are doing organizing, a bunch of people who were just completely checked out, and then a bunch of people who are going to go lead cups in South America. And I don't know, it's it's it's a that was my experience back doing Actually god I was, I was on the GS. You pick it line, like, how God that was? That was half decade ago. Jesus Christ. Sorry, this is trying to geto the MIA thinks about our time that you should which it shouldn't.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 13: But that's something that is notable too, is that, like we have a lot of community support when it comes to people who are theoretically in favor of unionizing and theoretically in favor of labor power, and that extends all the way through our management team, Like they are very very in favor of the concept of labor rights, and so it's really interesting trying to parse that dynamics sometimes of like, Okay, these are people who are supposedly our biggest supporters, but at the same time their actions do not very well line up with those ideals.
Speaker 11: I think having a section at our store that is devoted to critical theory and Marxism while not paying us a living wage is a real funny situation.
Speaker 14: The irony stings real hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's this real Read the theory, do not act on it, but read the theory.
Speaker 12: It's been real fun. Like we during like your course book rush seasons, we have like sem co op trading cards with pictures of like different authors. It's always really fun handing out the ones that are like Carl Marx sem co ops number one best selling author.
Speaker 13: And no, it's definitely not because every freshman at University of Chicago has to buy him from us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's another that's like kind of unrelated, really funny thing. But yeah, like all of the Chicago econ dipshits at least nominally red marks. Did they open it low odds? But yeah, I don't know that that seems like a psychologically destabilizing contradiction that you're dealing with them all the time.
Speaker 12: That same kind of like contradiction between like spirit and practice. Just like it's also right there in our name where we're the Seminary co Op bookstore, and like two thirds of that is not true. We haven't been affiliated with the seminary in decades. We were for a time a member co op like RII, but we've never been a worker's co op. We haven't even been a member co op since twenty fourteen. We are a bookstore, So there's like that.
Speaker 5: But the old one in three eight bad being simply does not apply here. That is in fact very bad well.
Speaker 11: And I think that that is like a very big part of how the larger community sees our stores as well, and the like mismatch there because yeah, of course we're like on the Chicago campus. We are very much connected to the student body and the faculty there, but we're also like in the middle of like our neighborhood where there are plenty of other people who are not affiliated with the college who are like coming in buying their books. There's the fact that like our our second location down the street fifty seventh Street Books, which has like our kids sections and like a bunch of other less academic stuff like that's very heavily trafficked as well. And the communities understanding of us as a like worker owned not not for profit, which is a very confusing term because it's not a nonprofit, it's a not for profit. That that disconnect between what the community needs and wants in its bookstores and what the management has decided our bookstores mean to the community is it's felt.
Speaker 1: That's like a very felt mismatch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm assuming that that that's sort of the kinds of things that I mean, obviously the standard not getting paid off, et cetera, et cetera. Are those those are sort of things that led into how the organizing started.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think it's a lot the way that like the mismatch is so apparent to us, and it really brought us together, Like we have such a unique sense of solidarity as a working cohort. I feel like there's a lot of commiseration because we walk a very weird line throughout our community, and so I think it's a little bit just trying to assess what's going on in our stores and like how does that compare to what management tells us on a regular basis, and shouldn't we be doing something about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that. I know that.
Speaker 11: Our first like big pre union meeting where we all got together in the basement of one of our houses and commiserated, was like after a pretty rough, like all store meeting that we had had in which we had continued to get really no response regarding questions about a living wage, or how we choose stock for our store, how communication between management and hourly booksellers was just so lacking, and we just got the same kind of messaging that was being given to customers, which is we're working on it. You're all of these things that you're saying are so valid, and we'll address them at a later date.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we were getting this great response of like, you know, we want to get you to not just a living wage, but a professional wage, and we have a five year plan, but we were halfway through that five year plan. The five year plan started right before the pandemic and had not been adjusted since, and there was no information on how we were going to in the last half of this five year plan, you know, suddenly increase wages to whatever a professional wage is let alone a living wage. So that was just a very a very frustrating, like completely empty answer.
Speaker 11: I think we were all very we were all hurt, and we got like the very first message in our group chat, which was just like so we're we're gonna we're gonna unionize, right, incredible, And that was like the start of it. And that was like last I want to say that was January of twenty twenty three was when that started.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they'reabouts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a that's I guess it's a pretty vast campaign by the looks of it. It's yeah, about it about it a bit over a year. Yeah, Yeah, congratulations to you all, by the way, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 13: It's really thanks to the team that started in January though, because they have been really really proactive about reaching out to people when there are new booksellers. Because I have kind of a weird tenure at the store. I've worked there two separate times, but I wasn't part of the January meeting. But when I rejoined the co op in August, I think within the first week that I was there, one of my kokers came up to me while I was at the register and like in the standard getting to know you kind of speech, was like, how do you feel about labor organizing? And I was like, very in favor. Why do you ask?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that, by the way, dear listener, if you're at a union, that is that is what is known as good practice. It is, in fact a thing that you need to do. Whenever someone new joins your workplace and you have a union, bring them in. And if you don't do this, your unions will stagnate die. And there are there are like there are actually there are unions out there who will get mad at you for doing this because it takes resources or whatever, and don't listen to them. Please stop. Simply do not do this.
Speaker 13: This is the only defense against turnover, which is huge industries that most need to unionize.
Speaker 1: Yep, we have really crazy turnover.
Speaker 11: Like I think that of the original people who started talking, I mean and this was like there was a previous unionization effort too before our time that we know very little about. But of the original like January folks, very few of us are left just because of the turnover rate which is immense, and we get like groups of like three to four people hired at once every six months or so. And it's like, Okay, how quickly can we scope folks out, How quickly can we like do like a one on one and talk to them about how they feel about labor organizing. How can we get a sense of like what their main concerns are with the job and what they want from unionizing.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Well, and the turnover is also one of the things that sparked this because we had a wave of folks who were fired asked to leave or quit on their own terms. And we had another coworker who knew that she was kind of reaching the end of when she could you know, stay at the bookstore and was just very committed to like getting some momentum going in her last handful of months here and created, like you oside the group chat and was just very quit like all right, everyone were in the group chat like this message if you agree with the following statement, and then it was like, you know, the statements about like how much you care about the job, and then statements about like how much you agree that like a union would improve things, and just about everybody agreed a union would be a huge improvement. And that was I mean, that was also a really incredible resource because like before someone just created the group chat. We're in this really awkward phase of like three or four different groups of people trying to get a ball rolling and very like cautiously approaching folks. I had approached one or two people and been like that same exact question, like how do you feel about unions? And then there was someone else who was going around asking the exact same question. And you know, I was also at rege one day when she came up and asked ask me that, and I was like, Jesus, do I not have enough patches on my jacket? This is a question I need to fix something.
Speaker 11: It was a lot of like ships passing until the group chat got created, and then it was really quick.
Speaker 1: We had We started.
Speaker 11: Having like meetings, I want to say we had one like every three weeks to a month. In that first six months, we got together a letter of demands that we all read and signed. It was I think at the time of the how many were working there. It was like all but one maybe wow person signed it, and we all went to deliver it and read it to management and got a bunch of stuff right away. This was like well before yeah, well before we had signed with an or decided who we wanted to ununize with, and we still just threw that direct action got so much done.
Speaker 13: And I think that's part of the success that we've had so far too, is we do just have kind of a large number in our cohort of impatient people, which means that like, once we figure out what we want, we're just like, Okay, what's the fastest way we can ask for this and get it recognized.
Speaker 12: That first march that we did, that first letter was also just I mean, it really like fueled all of the rest of this, I think because the stuff that we won was so I think so immediately felt for everyone working there.
Speaker 5: There wasn't things, Uh what kinds of things did you win?
Speaker 6: In that one?
Speaker 12: We won expanded health insurance. Previously very few people qualified for health insurance. We got that pretty tremendously broadened. I mean, that's I think how THEO and I ended up getting health insurance. We got things like, you know, improved maternity leave, improved bereavement leave. The definition of who you could take berievement leave for was broadened. It was like previously a grid of like nine types of relation, and then it got just fully expanded to like include chosen family and just whoever you know you felt the need to claim berievement leave for as well as just how many days, which was tremendous. I mean, it was like a week after the change you know, got actually implemented into our leave system, that I found out a relative was dying, And because we had gotten that expansion, I didn't have to choose between driving my grandmother to be by her bedside, be by this other relative's bedside, or going to the funeral. I was able to take time off for both of those, which you know, meant everything to me, meant everything to my grandma.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 12: You know, when we talk when we're looking at issues, when we're organizing, and we talk about things that are widely felt, that are deeply felt, that are actionable, and like those kinds of changes are very deeply felt. And so there wasn't you know, there really hasn't been a point since then when anyone could remotely make the argument that organizing doesn't create positive, impactful change.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the handbook that I was onboarded with the second time that I came to the stores was significantly different than the handbook that I was onboarded with the first time, and it was because this list of demands had gone out in the interim, because the policies about like just our character as a store and the way that we want to interact with our community were completely different, and it was very much that like booksellers who interact with the community on a daily basis, had had a say in the meantime.
Speaker 5: Hell yeah, okay, So unfortunately we have to go to an ad break. But oh we returned. Well, I don't know, go back to what we were doing before, question work. I don't know, not not. My fight is to ad pivot. But you know, look if they if they, if they paid me more, they'd get more good AD pivots. But they don't fear get in the media. Once you gotta work your wage.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we're back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So you know, the organizing students have come together pretty quickly. I guess, do you want to talk about how you ended up being an AWW shop?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I'm happy to talk on that a little bit. You know, when we got to the point where were deciding who we wanted to affiliate with, I sent out feelers to just a bunch of different unions. Two got back to me a larger trade union that I'm totally spacing on the name of, or a commercial union the term for like the really big one, the really big types of unions, and the IWW and I had meetings or phone calls with representatives from both of them. The you and I put together kind of a graphic sort of comparing like the pros and cons of two very different options, right like a big international union or I mean IWW obviously international, it's right in there in the name, but obviously a smaller, much more autonomous union. And I wanted to go IWW. I did my absolute best to not let that bias inform the pros and cons lists and whatnot, and we, you know, we sat around in this room here and just chatted it out, talked about our preferences, what mattered to all of us, and you know, what we decided was that, amongst other things, one of like the really big sort of organizing principles of this has been increasing our own agency and autonomy in the workplace, and the IWW's model just felt like it would give us the most control over our own campaign. And so that's that's how we ended up voting to become an IWW. You know lead, then campaign, and now finally shop branch.
Speaker 11: I think that the IWW really fit how our store and our organizing had worked thus far.
Speaker 6: Too.
Speaker 11: It felt like it matched the character of our organizing. It's definitely much scrappier it, you know, the IWW having a history in Chicago definitely was a factor in my personal desire to be affiliated with them. I thought it was really cool to be joining that like long tradition of IWW shops in Chicago. I think that direct the emphasis on direct employee action versus like contract bargaining fit very well for us as well. I think, especially considering things like the turnover and how we wanted to make sure that you know, if we argue to contract, if we bargain for a contract now, that it would be difficult to know, you know, even a year or two down the line, if those points and those things that we bargained for would be what.
Speaker 1: Folks would want then.
Speaker 11: And so getting to use more direct action and response to make gains in the workplace has been.
Speaker 1: I think a.
Speaker 11: Really helpful strategy and one that the IWW facilitates really well with how it trains organizing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that all makes a lot of sense. And I guess you know, the question for there is how did management sort of react and what's been the kind of what's what's what's what's been the kind of relationship vibe since then?
Speaker 13: I mean management volunte taily recognized us immediately, but they also had very clear notice ahead of time that we had been organizing, Like we had been presenting them with demands on a regular basis. We had been emailing them from an anonymous account requesting that they closed the stores when the cold was too intense for most of us to safely get to work, Like they would be very very deeply buried under the rocks if they didn't know that we were like talking to each other. So I think that they had a plan, And they also know the character of our community, which is very theoretically leftist, and so they knew that they really didn't have another option because like we were at critical mass, and they would look really bad in the eyes of everyone.
Speaker 14: That they respect if they said nothing.
Speaker 12: By the time that we announced to management that we'd unionized, something like twenty one twenty two out of two twenty three hourly workers were members of the IWW.
Speaker 14: We showed up in T shirts. It was a lot.
Speaker 11: Yeah, incredible when you walk in, when you walk in in your IWW shirt to sit down at like an all store meeting, and then the next person walks in and they're also wearing that shirt, and then the next person it's like, yeah, we've.
Speaker 1: Got the numbers. Something's about to happen. And they knew.
Speaker 11: They knew because we'd heard them I think, like not two days before being like, yeah, we think that they're on the precipice of unionizing.
Speaker 14: If we were like, boy, you have no idea.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they took it as well as we expected them to take it.
Speaker 1: As Finn said.
Speaker 12: We had been in a organized meeting the night before and had been in our group chet you know, that morning, preparing for all manner of different scenarios. If they didn't take it well and then and then they did.
Speaker 5: How have they been acting after, Because there's there's definitely it can be a huge gap between vaulty recognition and then them actually doing anything.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So the structure of management is real interesting. At our store, Like I said, we had we have twenty three currently hourly booksellers, and then that to how many managers.
Speaker 14: Six at least eight eight count.
Speaker 11: Yes, this is a fun quirk about our store. The manager to bookseller ratio is insane. And then we've got like our directors who are not counted in the manager number, which is okay.
Speaker 13: So we've got five managers and three directors.
Speaker 11: Five managers and three directors for twenty three hourly employees.
Speaker 1: And I think that, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 14: And have to use that ratio in meetings.
Speaker 1: They talk about that a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think that.
Speaker 11: No, no, no, no, we talk about it a lot like as and I think that, well, it's interesting because in these store meetings it is usually only the director that talks. I don't think we've ever heard managers talk in an all storm meeting. So when the director voluntarily or recognizes our union, we also have to really look at the faces of every manager to see what they're actually feeling.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of managers are.
Speaker 14: Have.
Speaker 11: My suspicion is that a lot of managers share equal frustration with a lot of the ways that the store is.
Speaker 1: Managed, even above them.
Speaker 11: And I think, obviously they can't say anything to us about how they feel about our.
Speaker 13: Union, but but anecdotally, they were so excited to take our picture after we announced that we had unilized.
Speaker 5: That's really funny.
Speaker 1: We did get management to take our photo, which we.
Speaker 13: Hadn't joked about in the group chat in the morning, Like, Lol, wouldn't it be hilarious if we made the managers take our picture and then they shor.
Speaker 5: Did That's so funny.
Speaker 11: Yeah, On a day to day level, I think things have been generally.
Speaker 1: No more or less awkward than usual. The vibe can be, yeah, bizarre on them.
Speaker 7: The vibe is.
Speaker 13: Also very highly colored right now by a lot of other big changes that are happening at the stores that have nothing to do with our union, and so like it's very difficult to sort of suss out which weirdness is which. But definitely I think the union weirdness is on the lesser end.
Speaker 12: Actually, yeah, I mean, I think the only real indication we have in the last in this kind of just little stretch since we announced is that we've been emailing with our director for like to schedule a announcement from the store side, and you know, we sent basically copy that we would like them to use and listed out what venues we would like it posted, and they've been just very accommodating to all of that. We haven't been getting any pushback like how the store how or when the store announces to the you know, mailing list and the community social media following and so on, so you know there's that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it hasn't really been talked about that publicly yet.
Speaker 1: It's about to be. I do know that.
Speaker 11: When at the at the event that I was running or working at yesterday the unionization, we got congratulated on our unionization and one of my managers was just that was to my manager's face, and I think her reaction was like, oh, so you know they're taking it. They'd being very polite about it. I don't think they know that other people know yet, but yeah, if they when it happens, I'm sure they're not going to be weird about it, at least I hope not.
Speaker 13: I think the main thing management wants to do everything in writing, and I think that's correct in some ways and like that's about to happen, But in terms of how they will interact with us once it is fully public and fully announced and fully in writing, I'm not sure.
Speaker 11: I also think that the reactions that we're getting now are the ways that they interact with us now that we have announced versus the ways that they may interact with us once we start really pushing for our demands. That is that that could change pretty quickly, especially when it comes to the living wage demand, that is very at the forefront of what we're fighting for. That's also been the one that has like the most tension behind it when we've brought it up in the past. And I think that once they realized that we're not just unionizing for fun, things might change pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: And so we're just going to have to be on We'll be on our.
Speaker 13: Toes because a big reason that we unionized was because we needed to have more weight behind that demand, because that was one of the core demands that has been made for the longest amount of time, with the least amount of movement and the most empty promises, and so we wanted to prove to them, hey, you have to listen to us about this. And I think that they might not have fully cottoned on to that yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I guess I guess we'll just sort of have to see how how they react to the sort of hammer coming down on them now that day spent all this time not actually doing anything. Yeah, I think I think That's a pretty good place to wrap up. Is there anyth unless there's anything else that you want to make sure that gets mentioned.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I think one thing I would like to say towards the end here is that a big part of what's been motivating us through all of this is seeing the sort of rise of labor power nationally with you know, the strikes in LA with like the writers, the actress strikes, seeing you know, teacher strikes going on with you know, the union stories that you all have been covering on this podcast, with folks like Frida Egg and I just yeah, I just want to say, like if for other folks who are working in a small space, in a retail space and thinking about unionizing, I mean, it's hard work, but it's deeply rewarding work, and if you put the time and dedication into it, it is absolutely possible to organize your workplace, especially if you're somewhere with twenty thirty co workers where you can get everyone into a group chat, where you can get everyone together in you know, someone's basement, someone's living room. You know, we're really at an incredible moment in labor as a movement, and just if you're thinking about organizing your workplace, Start talking to your coworkers, start talking to your friends. It's doable. It's hard, but there's power in a union and we can win.
Speaker 5: Hell yeah, I.
Speaker 13: Think there was something to be said too, just for the like sheer morale boost that comes from organizing with your co workers, because it makes everything better even as like your material reality doesn't change immediately, your outlook and ability to manage it, and to just feel like someone is in the same boat as you unparalleled really worth it.
Speaker 11: It feels yeah, it feels good. It feels good to have something to be proud of, something that you've put a lot of time into, Like coming to Fruition and seeing all of these people that you've worked together with to help make like tangible gains for your community.
Speaker 1: It feels like I think that.
Speaker 11: When you have a job, that is, when you're working a job that sometimes makes it difficult to feel proud of yourself and what you're doing a day to day basis. For whatever reason, having organizing and having.
Speaker 1: Your coworkers.
Speaker 11: There to make something really really good, not just for each other, but for future workers and for workers at other stores who may see our efforts and go.
Speaker 1: I can do that too. That makes you.
Speaker 11: That makes me proud, and it feels really good to have something to be proud of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, getting getting to fight for your class is a great feelings.
Speaker 6: It rules.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I guess where where can people find the union if they want to help support stuff?
Speaker 13: Got it?
Speaker 14: Pull up our newly minted social media.
Speaker 5: That's nice.
Speaker 12: I had this ready to go earlier today and then I forgot to keep it open.
Speaker 5: No worries, We'll put the links in the description.
Speaker 14: These are some fresh, fresh handles.
Speaker 12: Here we go. Yeah, so, folks can find us on Instagram at sem co Op Booksellers Union sem c P Booksellers Union, or on Twitter at sem co Op Union. Hopefully we will, you know, start posting on soon and that's going to be the best way to sort of keep up with our store, our situation from specifically the perspective of the laborers.
Speaker 11: Also, if you're in Chicago, come and say hi, Come to our stores, Come talk to uhur like, come talk to the workers.
Speaker 1: We have a lot to say. We'd love to talk to you about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's a great place and it's gotten significantly better now that this now now that it's unionized and hopefully one day I don't know, fuck it, don't all. I'll say this hope hopefully one day it is a fucking actual co op.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, that's the dream, that's all we want.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so thank you all for coming on and good luck and yeah, hope hope management folds like a fucking wet paper towel.
Speaker 12: Hell yeah, thanks so much for having us.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. This was amazing.
Speaker 5: Excited to have talked to you all. And yeah, this has been. It could happen here. You can do this too, and yeah, well we'll have we'll have exciting stuff coming tomorrow too. Yeah. Go go organize your workplace and make your bosses miserable and make your lives better. Welcome to it could happen here? Podcast about things falling apart how to put it back together again? Made by iHeartMedia. I am your host Nia Wong. So we have been you know, this is our This is going to be our first Union doubleheader. We have two Union episodes in a row. And part of why we're doing this is that we've we've been covering a lot of very sort of very fast drives, very low to the ground drives in small shops recently, and today we are going to be covering a shop that is not like that. It is very large, it is quite geographically diverse, and it has been organizing for a very long time. And that union is the iHeart Podcast Union. And with me to talk about this is Tracy Wilson from Suffie Missing History Class and Nomes Griffin, who is a producer on many staggeringly too many shows. And yeah, they are both on the bargaining committee of the Aheart Podcast Union. So yeah, Tracy Nomes, welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: No, thank you, We're glad to be here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited to talk to you too. So all right, first thing, first thing about this iHeart Podcast Union. We haven't covered many media unions on this podcast. We probably should do more, but it's been a sort of product of of what kind I don't know that there's certain there are certain kinds of stuff that we've been focusing on. But now now we're doing media unions. So the place I wanted to start talking about the iHeart Podcast Union is the sort of scale of it. I mean, there's people everywhere like there are there are there are people who are where, there's one union member in the entire city, so you know, can we And it's also been going on for a very very long time, so I wanted to sort of ask, can you talk about how this whole process started and kind of how long it's been going on.
Speaker 8: So long, so long. I was scrolling through my phone today trying to remember when when was the first time that I was contacted about unionizing, because the first thing that happened for me was being organ into the union before I Heart recognized us, and that was in the fall of twenty twenty. The fall of twenty twenty, I got a text from my friend Lauren that was like, can I talk to you about a kind of a work thing. It's a kind of work and I said sure. And the question that Lauren had to ask me was some of us are talking about unionizing. How would you feel about that? And I said, Okay, I need to check my agreement that I already have with iHeart because a lot of us that I have individual agreements with the company. I have worked in the job that I have now in some capacity for almost nineteen years, so I've been here forever and I already had this. I was like, I need to find out does this agreement prohibit me from doing this? It did not, and so I said, all right, if I'm eligible to be in the union, I'm on board. If I'm not eligible to be in the union, you have my full support. And that was in like November of twenty twenty, which is eons ago at this point.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's been I came on to the company and the union was already in negotiations, Like, yeah.
Speaker 14: It had been a union already.
Speaker 10: I started in January of twenty twenty three, and I came like straight into the we're in bargaining sessions process.
Speaker 8: Yeah. So the organizing process took definitely more than a year. And that was more than a year of people talking to all of their colleagues about whether they wanted to form a union, what would be the benefits of forming a union, all of that stuff. And so we have three main offices at iHeart, there's New York, LA and Atlanta. So there were people who were doing things on the ground with people locally to them. But then also I think it's something like a third of our unit is not actually local to one of these offices. I'm not local to an office. I live north of Boston, we have like three unit members and the entire Commonwealth the message. So this is like a really long process of getting everybody on board and getting everybody to commit to saying they wanted to be in the union, and then eventually to sign union cards after all of that, that took more than a year. We informed management of our intent to unionize in December of twenty twenty one, and they recognized us about six weeks later, in February of twenty twenty two. That took longer than we would have wanted. There was some back and forth about exactly what roles would be included in the union, and then also the winter holidays happened in the middle of that, which, like those weeks don't exist for business purposes in a lot of ways. We still got to do podcasts for them, but nobody's at work, and so, you know, we were recognized without having to go through an election with the NLRB, which was great, but it did sort of feel like it took a little bit to finally get the recognition. And then we started bargaining in May, so a couple of months after that, and that was two years ago that we started bargaining.
Speaker 13: Oh, my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's May now, it may.
Speaker 8: It is almost June today.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It has been a really quite long bargaining process, which I think, I mean, this is something we've talked about on the show before that this is a pretty This is a thing that happens a lot for especially for first contracts, is that companies will try to sort of just weight the union out and try to because you know, the if if you look at like the places where unions fail, it's they either fail in sort of like they okay, there's there's there's the failures where like nothing ever gets started. There's the failures where they lose they lose an election, or they don't have enough people to sign cards. And then the third place that they fail is contract, is the first contract. And so this is you know, a situation that I guess is not unexpected, but is also negotiating a contract for two years just is not very fun.
Speaker 14: Yeah, no, it's not.
Speaker 8: Our colleagues at WGAE, when we got ready to start bargaining, tried to prepare us for the fact that eighteen months to two years is fairly normal in the world of media to bargain a first contract. I will readily acknowledge that I was overly optimistic when we started. I would not go so far as to say naive, but like I thought it was a really good sign that the company had voluntarily recognized US. I thought it was a really good sign that WGAE had successfully negotiated other contracts and that we were sort of drawing from a lot of that. Contract language is our starting point, and I feel like when you have all of the unionized podcast shops having similar language to me, that language is now becoming industry standard. So I expected less of a fight over a lot of that than what we actually got. And then also management hired an attorney that has negotiated a lot of other contracts with WGA. Was just all stuff that I thought was seemed favorable. And then when we actually got into the bargaining process, it has gone on for so long and there have been so many things that it has felt like we're just going around in circles at the table.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So before we get into kind of what issues are being circled around and what management has been doing, I wanted to talk about what bargaining a contract is actually like, because I think most of the people listening to this have never done it and only kind of have a vague idea of what that means. So can you sort of walk us through the I don't know. So there's a week that has a bargaining session, can you walk through the process of what goes into that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 10: So in a week where we might have a bargaining session, say we have a bargaining session on Wednesday and Thursday, as a committee will meet probably the Monday the tuesday to prepare whatever our counter proposals will be. So whether or not that's on economics. So we're getting back and we're adjusting our salary proposals that are going to go across the table, or we're adjusting what we're asking for in severance, how many weeks of severance we're asking for. So we'll spend some time as a committee going through those proposals and basing our decisions off of like, this is where we have an intention of landing, this is where management is right now, this is what in our conversations with the other unit members we've figured out is most important to people, So we'll.
Speaker 14: Make counters based on that.
Speaker 10: Lately, our sessions have those sessions have looked like preparing to who in the committee is going to be presenting that contract language across the table, so we'll divvy up those presentations and Tracy might present on diversity, I might present about the salary minimums. We might have another committee member present on severance and things like that, so well sort out who is going to say what, and we'll also plan out any other sort of editorializing that we're going to do across the table, like this is why we're making a move here, because it's important to our unit. For this reason, we've also planned out actions that we're going to do across the table and having unit members read testimonials about certain contract items.
Speaker 14: So those are all of the.
Speaker 10: Things that we might prepare for ahead of the bargaining session. And then on the actual day of bargaining session, we'll go in and we'll meet as a committee in the morning. We're either presenting first our proposals or management is presenting to us. As a bargaining committee will be there to hear the proposals. There may be some sessions that are more important than others, so we'll invite the whole unit to hear those proposals, and we will over those two days sort of go back and forth, presenting across the table what our proposals are and the counter propose and with the idea of like getting closer to a contract that is fair and like Tracy said earlier, industry standard.
Speaker 8: That sums it up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I guess this leads us to the second part of contract negotiations, which is management's counterproposals. So, you know something, something I think is kind of surprising when when when you do this for the first time, is the extent to which management simply will not show up on time?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So how has it actually been sitting across the table from management and you know, hearing their counter proposals and dealing with whenever they show up.
Speaker 8: Uh, all of my bargaining so far has been happening on the other side of a zoom or a team's screen. Since I'm remote to everybody else, which is a blessing curse, right, I have kind of a buffer. I'm not having to directly look at the faces of the people who are coming in with salary proposals that are dramatically less than what we proposed and what we feel as industry standard at this point. But it also means that like I'm by myself. I don't have somebody near me to when like management leaves the room personally react with we got to go around the circle in the whoever's in the room and on the screen to sort of say our reactions. But like it's it's lonely sometimes to do it from afar. I do definitely have to practice keeping my expression neutral because sometimes what we are hearing is not neutral expression territory. And I also really was not totally prepared to hear management justify their positions on things like I will feel strongly that the correct and most ethical thing to do is a particular thing, and then management will explain their position on something and I'll sort of be like, that's that's not the decision I would like you to be making at all. And I'm a little upset that I just heard you say that just now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, And I'm in Atlanta, So most of our bargaining sessions have happened in Atlanta. We have also have them in New york Er or le but so I have been in person for most of the sitting down across for management and like waiting a few hours after when they said they would be ready to present their proposals, and it is like tense and frustrating to sit in that, and to Tracy's point, like, it is nice that we have the rest of the committee with us to or whoever's in Atlanta with us to sort of share in that together. But the energy does get really tense at times, especially in those situations where we've presented, hey, we would like, however many days of bereavement leave so we can grieve our family members, and then management comes back with an offer that's.
Speaker 14: Like, well, what about just a couple of days to.
Speaker 10: Grieve your dead family member? And so in those situations where it's like, do you think of me as a fellow human being deserving of these like very basic things to make my life livable.
Speaker 14: And then their answer sort of feels like a no.
Speaker 10: And you kind of just have to like sit in that in person while they say it to your face.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I mean, especially when it's something that personal or it's that or if it's something that parental leave where you know this is your child, right, and yeah, you're sitting across a table from someone being like, oh, yeah, no, you actually you should get like two days to deal with this. It's just really brutal we had.
Speaker 8: It was a few months ago. We had a session where we had a lot of testimonials that were accompanying our actual contract proposals, and some of them were read by the person who had written the testimonial, and some of them were read by a different bargaining committee member because somebody was just more comfortable remaining anonymous and having somebody do that for them. And we had testimonials that were all over the map in terms of things that we were still in the process of bargaining, So we had diversity testimonials, we had testimonials about parental leave, all of this stuff. And one of the things that wound up being just enormously frustrating was that it felt like we went through all that and we presented so many things about why this matters so much to all of us, and the next round of counter proposals that we got were like the same negligible movements as from before we had all read all of the testimonials. And that was not my favorite day of bargaining by far.
Speaker 14: No, Yeah, that one was not not fun to be in on.
Speaker 5: And we are back, so, I mean, we've talked a little bit about kind of belief stuff, and you know, something like we've talked a little bit about some of the issues that have been stuck in negotiations for two years, but yeah, I wanted to sort of see, you know, talk talk about sort of the specifics of where of where the contract negotiations are right now, and how far apart the company and the union is and also just and this is something that I think has been a theme of these negotiations is the extent to which management is below industry standard. So yeah, I guess we could start with sort of wages there because of one of the places where they're very much below standard.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think we only have a TA on one a TA being a tentative agreement on one title and only for the rate that they're proposing in New York City in LA. Another big thing with our minimums is that they're different for producers and other titles living in New York City in LA than they are for people in those roles in other cities. So yeah, we are very far apart still on our salary minimums.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when we put together our proposals on salary minimums, like, we didn't make them up out of nowhere. We did a lot of research on pay rates at other unionized podcast shops and other podcast businesses. We came up with numbers that felt fair and industry standard based on all of that research, and then management just came in so much lower than all that. And then as Noomes just said, there's this differential they're proposing between New York and LA and everywhere else. Most of our unit is not in New York or LA. A big chunk of the unit is in Atlanta specifically, and the cost of living in Atlanta is just not that much lower than New York or LA. At this point. We've also been way apart on annual increases. Originally management was proposing not to have annual increases in the contract at all, and they've moved past that, but the current proposals are still way way less than the rate of inflation.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's about half, like half of what inflation is. Yeah, like it does, it's not even inflation amount. And I will say that like for many of the job titles, they're so far below what industry standard is. With the like very little incremental movement that they make every bargaining session, it's clear that they the company doesn't have any interest in getting the industry standard despite the fact that it is like a large and well ranked podcasting company.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, we just got the Webby Award as Podcast Company of the Year, and we continue to be like when rankings come out of the biggest podcast networks, like we're always at or right near the top of the rankings. All of that, we have a lot of shows that are really well respected in you know, whatever subject matter they are discussing, whatever broadly speaking genre of podcasts, and so it sucks to then look at pay scales that just don't line up with that in terms of like the minimum of what the company will commit to offering people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think the person to increased thing is really frustrating too, because again, the way this works out with inflation. And remember that, so you know, if we started bargaining in twenty twenty two, right, inflation in twenty twenty two was like three like twice what it is now. And if if you're getting, if you're not getting this is something I think that's important for everyone to understand, is that if you're not getting so for inflation right now is about three point four percent, If you're not getting a three point four percent pay increase this year. That means you you you are taking a pay cut every single year, right, And the fact that you know this is this is what my management's proposal is, you take a pay cut every single year and you're supposed to be fine with this is incredibly frustrating. And I don't I don't think it's it's it's it's not really understood in in terms of you're literally taking a pay cut very much. It's just talked of like it's it's, it's, it's it's something that's talked about. Is just like another benefit. But like, no, we're trying not to take a pay cut.
Speaker 10: But yeah, yeah, I like to if my salary is going to not take me any further at least not take me any farther back.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I don't need to.
Speaker 10: Lose money every year like I've done this year in starting my second year at the company.
Speaker 8: Right, there's been a lot of people who have not had a raise since like before the pandemic started, and like, I'm incredibly lucky. I have been at my job forever. I'm on one of the biggest shows that we have in the network. Like I'm doing okay, right, but a lot of my colleagues who work on shows that don't have as much power, don't have as big of an audience, like, don't have as much much of an ad budget of people who have been with the company less time, people who are like earlier on in their careers, especially like I've watched these folks go through the last four years with no increase in their pay, and like, I can see people struggling now financially in a way that they weren't struggling financially in twenty nineteen because their pay has not changed at all, but the how much it costs to exist in the world is so much more expensive.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we have some members right now who like would receive a pay increase with what's being proposed currently, but it is nowhere near the majority. Most people are going to lose money with the numbers as they are right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's one of the things that just you know, I mean, and even the sort of industry standards in podcasting isn't great, but that's one of these things that's you know, very much below industry standard. And there's been another one of these things that I wanted to talk about that's kind of baffling that I think everyone involved thought that this would be something that there wouldn't be a huge fight over. But that's at will employment.
Speaker 4: You talk about that, Yeah, Yeah, I love too.
Speaker 8: So just cause employment means your employer has to have just cause to terminate your employment. Your employer cannot just do it willy nilly. And it's a core part of like the rights that unions bargain for is to have a process for somebody to be disciplined and lose their job. It's a very basic thing, basic union protection. And the management has held firm that they basically want to not only have at will employment standards, but like enshrine that in the contract.
Speaker 10: Yeah, meaning that they want to be able to fire us for any reason and at any time, regardless of whether or not we've done something actually warrant that loss of our income.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's something I think is really important that I don't think people think about it this way. But you know, both for if you're doing work that's politically sensitive or also if you are marginalized, that is a you know, not not having your boss not be able to fire you for literally any reason is it's a necessary piece of protection. And if you don't have that. You can have a situation where I don't know, you have one boss who's racist, one boss who's transphobic, and you know, you and everyone like you's careers are just gone. And without that kind of protection, you know, it's it's incredibly it's incredibly dangerous for like, for marginalized people to you know, I mean even just like to be able to speak up about things that are happening to you. Right, like, yes, like tech technically speaking, retaliation is illegal. However, come up see the entire history of labor in America and tell me whether it tell me, explain to me whether or not it act, it still actually happens, especially when you can just fire someone for some other reason or again, in this case, you can fire them for no reason.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, And it's it's a thing that is so baffling because there's no union contract.
Speaker 14: Without just cause.
Speaker 10: Like there's a number of reasons why people unionize. Obviously we want better salaries, Obviously we want better healthcare. But there's you don't form a union and then still allow a contract that says yeah, and also though we can fire you at any reason, because that is sort of the antithesis of like what we're about here, which is that there's like due process and structures in place that like, people who provide the labor for.
Speaker 14: This company can't just like.
Speaker 10: At a moment's notice, be out out of healthcare and in common all of that comes with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean politically like it's it. And you know, if you look at this as a political system, it's a difference between pure dictatorial rule where everything is just done purely by fiat right, where you know, like the person who rules you can do whatever they want to you, and there being something like a functional legal process which constrains the power of rulers to just sort of enact their will on you. And that's you know, an incredibly fundamental basic part of what a union is is the democratization of the workplace.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, that's That's one of the things that I think is so important about just the right to unionize in general that I think a lot of people who have never been part of a union don't fully understand. I'm basing some of this based on comments I continually see on ARII ads, which I am served all the time as a person who hikes a lot, because currently their comments on their ads are a whole lot of people saying, stop union investing ARII. And then there are always people who are like, it's retail. If you don't like it, get a better job, or they're saying something like ARII has always voted one of the greatest employers, Like you should just be thankful for what you have, And I'm like, the thing is, though, an employer has so much more power than an individual employee. Your employer has a whole HR structure and lawyers and way more money than any individual person working for them. And that's why employees have the right to come together collectively to just balance that out a little bit. Like a union is still going to have a power differential between themselves and the company. We have a whole lot more equity and a whole lot more access to that power together than as one individual person going to their manager asking nicely to have a couple extra days off because their parent died or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as the old is these, the old song goes, what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one, but the union makes us strong. Yeah, I think I think that's a good sort of place to end on. The negotiations are still ongoing, flying next week.
Speaker 8: To be there in person next week already. Yeah, yeah, a little scary. I don't know what to wear to an office anymore.
Speaker 10: Oh see, and me either. I actually just show up how I am always in my normal life.
Speaker 14: So I encourage you to do the same.
Speaker 8: Can I get a Union shirt from you when I get there?
Speaker 14: Oh please?
Speaker 10: They're literally clogging my home and I would love to give you one. So I have one of us.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 5: So where can people go to find the Union and to support us.
Speaker 10: We are on Twitter at Iheartpod Union. We're on Instagram also at Iheartpod Union.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's where you can find us. On social media.
Speaker 8: We're on Blue Sky at iHeart Podcast Union. I have the keys to that one right now, and I have not been really active with it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: Yeah, many an update goes out on the Twitter so you can stay in touch there.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And in the in the meantime between now and bargaining, this has been naked appen here. Thank you to so much for coming on and yeah, let's let's get let's let's let's get ourselves a good contract.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we're gonna get a good contract. And it is such a pleasure to work with the both of you.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, you too. Thank you so much Mia for having us on.
Speaker 5: Yeah for sure, always happy to all right, And this is also your daily union episode reminder that you too can do this. You too can spend an enormous amount of time going through a spreadsheet.
Speaker 8: Then finally spreadsheets.
Speaker 5: Turn it look. Unionization is the process of turning a spreadsheet into into a fighting organization.
Speaker 10: You two can get lost in a sea of Google docs.
Speaker 5: But I promise you all, as as much as this episode has been about, you know, the sort of stubbornness of management and how you know and how kind of demoralizing that process can be, it is worth it, I promise you all. It is and you can You can do it too.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 2: We'll be back Monday, with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 9: It Could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia, dot com, slash sources, thanks for listening.