Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Earsay, the Audible and iHeart Audio book Club. It's the book club for audiobook lovers. I'm ed Helms and I am cal Penn.
Speaker 2: Each episode, Ed or I will tackle a different Audible title with your favorite hosts and special guests from across the iHeart Podcast world and beyond. They'll share what they heard, what they loved, and what they can't stop thinking about. You've heard the books, Now hear the ear.
Speaker 1: Say earsay that title? Are we all getting it? Cal break it down? Sure?
Speaker 2: If I need to get specific well pronounced earsay. It's a play on hearsay, but unlike hearsay, you shouldn't ignore it. You want to listen to the ear say it's the lively chatter that follows a great audiobook.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I get it. Can you use it in a sentence? Yes?
Speaker 2: Uh, let's see. I finished the book. Now I'm catching up on the ear say see what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, that's far.
Speaker 2: This season, we're going to be getting into some really fun titles that push the limits of the audiobook format. So we'll dive into an oral history of one of the funniest movies in the eighties. We'll do a supernatural thriller co authored by m Night Shamalan.
Speaker 1: We'll also dive into the full cast audio edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It stars Riz Ahmed, Hugh Laurie, and Matthew mcfaddian.
Speaker 2: This is our audiobook club, and you're invited.
Speaker 1: Cow. Do you have a formative audiobook memory?
Speaker 2: I guess formative audio book memory. I really like listening to audiobooks from authors who whose voices are kind of iconic. There's something about getting that firsthand that I like. But really the like, the more universal side of that. I remember listening to somebody like a Mindy kayale Right is so sweet and bubbly, and her whole persona is that of like I'm everybody's friend. So when you listen to a fun memoir that she's written, and it's vulnerable and it's funny and.
Speaker 1: Absolutely how about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree you have a formative audiobook memory.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure thinking back when I really started to get into audiobooks, but but I've been into them for a long time and there's one experience that I had that I that I just love. I still think back on fondly. I was on a road trip by myself on the open road in the Western United States for thirteen hours straight and I had to get from A to B, so I just was kind of like barreling through as efficiently as I could, and I put in this audio book The Overstory. The Overstory is this incredibly rich and deep and beautiful novel, and it's also one that is quite overwhelming with the just amount of it's dense. There's so much narrative, there's so much sort of color and experience to this story. But because I was able to just dial in on the open road, I just was riveted and it made this the entire day of driving just like disappear. I was so immersed in this book and I and to this day, I love it. I think it's such an incredibly powerful and beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Book that's so cool, like a TimewARP for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, audiobooks are timewarps because they're so immersive.
Speaker 2: I assume you narrated the audiobook commercial of your book, right, correct, Yes, Yes, I did the same. I wrote this memoir called You Can't Be Serious, and the subtext is about systemic change in Hollywood and Washington. But really it's like a collection of short stories that I just want people to be able to laugh at, whether they're reading it by the pool or kind of listening to it on the subway around on a drive. And I remember when my editor called after I turned in the manuscript and she said, so, do you want to record and narrate your audiobook or do you want to give it to somebody else? And I was so confused by that, like why would the amount of self deprecating jokes alone and the weird voices that I do in my head that could so easily like with the wrong voice, could just like a problematic situation.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wrote a book that's more sort of my comedic take on some straight history stories. It's called SNAPO, The Definitive Guide to Histories Greatest screw Ups, available wherever you get your books, and the same thing. I was so proud of it. I was like, I'm not I don't want I don't want some other jerk just like rattling this thing off.
Speaker 2: In your book, by the way, came from your podcast, which is also called Snaffo.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for mentioning that. My my podcast Snaffoo also about history's greatest grew ups. Season four is coming out, and I'm having guests come on and I tell them about a snafoo and we reflect on what these snaffoos say about humanity, and spoiler alert, it's usually not good things about humanity.
Speaker 2: You also have a podcast I do, or I guess technically I will. It is still a very big secret for right now, but we will announce it on the fourteenth of October. But yes, we do podcasts, we do audio books, and we're maybe the perfect guys to host a podcast about audiobooks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, And so for our first episode today, we have the pleasure of stepping into the carriages and drawing rooms of Regency England. Our guest and I listened to the audible reimagining of a piece of the English literature canon, Jane Austen's eighteen thirteen masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice. It came out during the peak of the Romantic era, when people like John Keats and Lord Byron were writing about passion and mortality and the nature of beauty. But Pride and Prejudice offered witty, sharp social commentary at a time when the novel itself was seen as kind of frivolous. Austin published it anonymously, which was common for women authors at the time. Writing novels was seen as an improper way for women to spend their time. Pride and Prejudice was a smash hit and went on to be instrumental in shaping what the English novel would become. Austin's narrative style is called free indirect speech. That's when the thoughts and speech of any character can be written out in the voice of the narrator, which is totally familiar to a modern reader, but was groundbreaking when the book came out. Cal Have you ever read Pride and Prejudice? I read enough of it, but yes, I remember reading it a quick refresher. Pride and Prejudice is the story of the quick witted Elizabeth Bennett, who finds herself navigating complicated social dynamics in a romantic back and forth with a man she calls the quote proudest and most disagreeable man in the world, the handsome and delusive and of course fabulously rich, mister Dawesy. The themes in Pride and Prejudice are timeless. We're talking self discovery class. Of course, both Pride and Prejudice question, cal in your relationship, are you more than mister Darcy or more the Lizzie Bennett?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I mean digging?
Speaker 1: Am I digging too deep?
Speaker 2: And no, you're not digging deep at all. It's one of those things where I'm probably more of like the Lizzie Bennett, but like aspirationally, I would love to be a mister Darcy. I would love to have the the handsome, you know, I'd love to be fabulously rich. So I'm not trying to script the question, but maybe an amalgam of both. Leaning towards the miss Bennett.
Speaker 1: Well good, I mean it's a win win. They're both remarkable characters. Lizzie just has this like irrepressible verb and kind of sass and deep intelligence, and mister Darcy, we learn, has like great integrity and of course a lot of money. So if you're a combination of those two, you're you're doing You're doing good. So this new Audible adaptation of Pride and Prejudice is less of an audio book and more like a mini series for your ears, with immersive sound design and original music. It stars Marisa Abella as Elizabeth and Harris Dickinson as mister Darcy. It's faithful to the original, but it's told from Elizabeth's perspective in a highly suggestive way that kind of sizzles in the intimate audio format. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: I'm not concerned at all. I'm really trying to illustrate your.
Speaker 1: Character and do you succeed?
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 4: I hear such different accounts of you. I can't make any sense of it.
Speaker 2: Ooh, Steamy, Marissa, Abella, Marisa, Marisa, excuse me, Marisa, Yeah, amazing. I just did a little arc on Industry. We did not have scenes together, but even her voice is so if you're a fan of that show, she is so so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is giving some pretty saucy vibes. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Did they make you watch the like nineteen sixties version of Romeo and Juliet in high school?
Speaker 1: Oh, I have a vague memory of that.
Speaker 2: I remember that they we watched that and it was like, okay, all right, it did. I don't think it helped me understand and the material any better. But then when I was in college, the Leo DiCaprio, Claar Danes, Baz Luhrmann version came out and that was like whoa. Yeah, you know. The to illustrate the timelessness of literature, especially Shakespeare obviously was like bonkers. Anyway, just listening to that clip, have something like that brought to life by a voice you recognized, was yeah, very riveting.
Speaker 1: It's it's uh yeah, it's very compelling. Yeah, there's there's more star power in this production too. By the way, the legendary British thespian Bill Nye plays Elizabeth's father, mister Bennett, and Glenn Close plays the domineering and downright kind of scary lady Catherine de Bourg. Let's listen to another clip.
Speaker 3: Tell me once and for all are you engaged to him? I am not, And will you promise me never to enter into such an engagement?
Speaker 4: Can I promises of the kind?
Speaker 1: Oh? That Lizzie just the backbone, she's so tough.
Speaker 2: Oh, she will not make any promises.
Speaker 1: I've worked with Glenn Close. She is one of the most lovely human beings you'll ever know, But man, she can play tough.
Speaker 2: I would This goes back to the earlier question you asked me about, like who I'm more like I would love in modern times like today, if somebody on a work call asks me to promise them something, I just want to say that I will make no promises.
Speaker 1: Of the kind.
Speaker 2: I just want to use that line.
Speaker 1: I will make no promises of the kind. Yeah, that's you're right, that's a stinger.
Speaker 2: Why don't you ask me if I'll be part of this interview and I will say that I will make no promises of the kind.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get this party started with our first guest. Thanks so much for helping me kick off this podcast. We're gonna have a ton of fun and here we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I am. I'm very excited. Enjoy, enjoy the convo. I will hop off and leave you to the rest of this one.
Speaker 1: Well, our first guest on the Earsay podcast. You know her as Kelly Taylor from the legendary Beverly Hills nine oh two one zero. She starred in What I Like About You. She also starred in the reality shows Jenny Garth, A Little Bit Country and The Jenny Garth Project. Now she is host of the iHeart podcast I Choose Me with Jenny Garth and just in case you haven't done the math and figured it out already, I am of course, talking about the legendary Jenny Garth. Jenny, welcome to Earsay.
Speaker 4: What's that you say?
Speaker 1: Ere Earsay ear say, uh, yeah, it's just we think it's a neat name. We're very proud of our cute name.
Speaker 4: But uh, it is good, it's catchy.
Speaker 5: Ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're our first guest.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just such a thrill to have you on board right out of the gate.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy to be here. And you know what, we're talking about one of my favorite books slash movies of all time. How did that happen? I don't even know.
Speaker 1: It's no accident because your podcast and as sort of career has touched on so many of these themes, and it feels like it just felt like such a good fit out of the gate. But the fact that you love it makes it even better.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, true.
Speaker 1: Well right out of the gate. What have you been reading lately? Any books caught your fancy?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, you know, I do a lot of reading just in prep for my podcast when I have guests on that have new books coming out, So that has really taken over all of my reading opportunities lately. I just read a book that's about to come out by Jen Hatmaker called a Wake. It is so good. I enjoyed Tina Knowle's really great book come out now that long ago. So I like a memoir laced with lessons.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that a lot. I've been I'm much more of like a just a straight history nerd. I've been reading Dead Wake, which is the story of the last crossing of the Lusitania ship.
Speaker 4: I trying to tell you that sounds interesting. I love history.
Speaker 1: It is cool. Yeah, I mean, this is a this is like a cruise ship that got shot by German U boats, and it's a wild story. It's totally true. It's just straight history, but it's a it's a very very cool account. Are you an audio book person?
Speaker 4: I read audio books like when it first started happening, and then I read audio books. That doesn't make sense. I listened to audio books.
Speaker 1: I'm making can say. I think you can say you read an audio book.
Speaker 4: I think I can get credit for it. Okay, yeah, good good. So I hadn't really like gotten more into them, and I was busy, been busy, But then I listened to this one and I was really blown away at how far they've come. Yeah, this is like a whole new experience one that I like.
Speaker 1: This is almost more like a dramatic interpretation than just like a straight audio book. It really is.
Speaker 4: It's like you're watching the movie, but you're not stuck to watching the screen, and then you get to have your imagination as would if you're reading it, but it kind of fills in all the little details and all the things that you would see when you're watching the movie, which is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's arguably more immersive because it's giving you all of the audio sort of spatial and environmental cues, but it relies entirely on your imagination to conjure these images and characters. The dawn of audio books dramatically increased my intake of books, really, yeah, because I have ADHD and I struggle to kind of stay engaged. I have sort of like my working memory is very scattered and sort of broken, and so that's what reading requires, is to sort of hold information and context in your head. Weirdly, when I'm listening to text, my working memory fires. It just is like dialed in and I can listen at extremely high speeds. Weirdly, I don't know why, But I really enjoy just taking in the information almost just like a funnel, like ah, just taking it as much as I can. So yeah, it makes reading faster and more immersive for me. I just love audio books. Jenny, you host the iHeart podcast I Choose Me First. Can you explain the significance of that title?
Speaker 4: Well, I am probably best known for Beverly Hills Onoto Ando, which was a show that lasted the entire span of the nineties decade, and at one point, my character Kelly Taylor had this moment where she was in this love triangle and she had to choose between two guys, the two you know, like Brandon and Dylan. It was big, everybody was watching it. It's kind of like what's happening right now with the young people. There's a show called The Summary Turn Pretty where it's people are watching it and we everybody has something to say about who she should pick. Sure, so it's exactly the same beat as we played in the nineties on nine Totoentoo. It's so fun to watch it come back, but it's a really interesting message. She chose herself instead of choosing one of the guys, So she said, I choose me, and I didn't really understand the significance of that at that age. You know, in my life, I was probably nineteen twenty, and I feel like now, looking back at things, you kind of reach that age where you take stock of your life, where you've been, what felt good and in alignment, and where you felt like you had accomplishments. It kind of revisiting those places and I thought, you know what that is something that message, I know, really helped a lot of young women who were watching the show in real time to identify the fact that they could choose themselves in any given moment. Of course, so many women said I didn't really know that I could choose myself until I saw Kelly Taylor do it, and so I've I kind of thought, wow, that's really meaningful, and I think that's a message that needs to continue forward. So I was kind of lost. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my career, and you know, things are weird now in the business. So I just said, I'm going to focus on spreading something that's important to me.
Speaker 1: I love that it's like put on your oxygen mask first, right when the plane's going down. What's really interesting about it is as an idea I choose me. It might ring at first like self absorbed or narcissistic even, but it truly is the way I hear you talk about it, and as I've listened to your podcast, it's truly a generous disposition. It's a way of presenting to the world in a way where you know your own value, right, and when you do that, you are elevating the people around you as well. Definitely, all right, let's get into Pride and Prejudice a little bit here, Yes, but let's sort of segue from nine o two one zero into Pride and Prejudice. So Kelly had that famous moment of choosing between Dylan and Brandon. Do you think Kelly would have fallen for someone like mister Darcy or would she have gone for a Wickham first?
Speaker 4: Without a doubt in my mind, she would have fallen in love with mister Darcy.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great, all right.
Speaker 4: I mean I did, and you know we're pretty similar, so.
Speaker 1: Good, good, Yeah, for sure, I think that says the right thing about Kelly and Jenny. So Bride and Prejudice it's considered an important novel, right, but what makes it a fun novel. What is it about the story that's fun to you?
Speaker 4: It's the romance it's always going to come back to that really draws people in. And you get so invested in the characters and you see them making mistakes, and you see them learning from those mistakes and figuring things out along the way.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 4: And I just love period pieces, the costumes and the horses and the carriages, and the just the beautiful way everyone carries themselves. It's so different than it is now that I just find it really refreshing to look back and remember what things used to be like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right on the money. It's such a classic romantic tale, which is always riveting. I also think there's something just for us as Americans. There's something so alluring about that subtle British wit. Yeah, that kind of like dry sarcasm, but there's a sweetness underneath it. You can tell these characters have affection with each other, even though they kind of bite at each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fun to listen to their banter for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think Austin's writing is it's fun and accessible, but it's also sort of making commentary. And she has a wonderful warmth towards all of these characters. It's a special novel.
Speaker 4: Did you read it in high school?
Speaker 1: I think I pretended to read it in high school and probably just read cliff notes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this new Audible production is a full cast audio adaptation, complete with star performances, sound design, and original music. What stood out to you in this production while listening?
Speaker 4: Well, I went into it not knowing what I was going to be hearing, like this new way of listening to a book. But I was drawn in immediately by the sound design. I felt as if I was in the room room with these characters and I was in their conversation, and there is something so inclusive about that. So for me, it was really about the sound design, just the footsteps and the doors opening and closing. It's like it's real. It's like it's really happening.
Speaker 1: I agree, it's totally immersive. There's a beautiful score woven in by Morgan Kibbie. There's a subtle bit of sound design that I thought was so effective where Lizzie's voice is given a kind of this like reaver some effect anyway that makes it clear that you're in her head, in her inner monologue. You're going in and out of Lizzie's head in a way that for the listener this might sound crazy, but it's actually totally intuitive. When you listen to it, it makes perfect sense. What role would you want to play?
Speaker 4: I mean in this story? Are you really going to ask me that? Lizzie Luy, Yeah, I mean great, She's just so smart and so independent and strong. I just love HER's she says it like it is.
Speaker 1: You would be an incredible Lizzie.
Speaker 4: Oh god, thanks, such a coment.
Speaker 1: This is not a trick question, no wrong answer. What role would I play?
Speaker 4: You know what? I can see you as mister Darcy. You got a little Colin first.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's really sweet. I appreciate that. But are you sure I'm not I'm not the dad. I mean I'm not mister Bennett here.
Speaker 4: I mean with the right you know, wardrobe, hair and makeup. I think it's you.
Speaker 1: Pride and Prejudice, as you mentioned before, has been made into multiple TV series, movies, reimaginings and so on. Do you have a favorite version?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, BBC original, Yeah, Colin.
Speaker 1: First, Jennifer e Lee. Yep, there's something about that version that just captured Jane Austen's tone acting too.
Speaker 4: I think Colin just the way you hated him and loved him at the same time, and his stature like does everything about it. I was head over heels for him. Delicious, It's delicious.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, yes. So what is it about those Brits they're so beguiling? What do you think it is about pride and prejudice that has given it such incredible staying power for more than two hundred years.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think it hurts that they keep reimagining it. Sure, you know, I think they've done you know, like you said before, it goes from BBC to Hallmark to Disney Channel, like there's always going to be their interpretation for a different age group audience.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 4: I think what's made it last it's just it's a timeless.
Speaker 2: Story, Yeah, exactly, Like.
Speaker 4: That's at its heart, it's a timeless story.
Speaker 1: I mean, like humans were just suckers for a great love story. But this one has this really wonderful trope of the people that are destined to be together but hate each other at first, Right, they start off with all the friction. Yeah, that's satisfying. They when they realize.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that moonlighting energy, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moonlighting, Oh perfect.
Speaker 4: They hate each other, but you know they love each other and you're just waiting on the edge of your seat for them to finally get together.
Speaker 1: Marriage is obviously a major theme in Pride and Prejudice. Norms around marriage have changed profoundly in the last two hundred and twenty five years.
Speaker 4: Thank God.
Speaker 1: What are some things that this book says about marriage that might still be true today?
Speaker 4: Well, I think in Lizzie's case, she wanted to find somebody that could keep up with her intellectually, and that the spice that she you know, finding someone that can sort of spar with you when you want to spar and roll with you when you want to roll, like she wanted that then, and I think, I know I still want that as a woman in this day and age. I don't want to be bored. I don't want to be a comfortable kept woman. I think, you know, there are all different kinds of women and they all have different needs. Back then, it was about finding a husband because that's how you survived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think to what you're speaking to about, you know, being able to spar with somebody without it threatening the integrity of the relationship is really about having an underlying respect for one another, and a deep sort of abiding respect that transcends the petty moments or the hard moments of conflict. What I love about pride and prejudice is that really their love story. In my view, they realize they love each other when they built respect for one another, and that's what's ultimately gratifying. And it's a little bit in defiance of some of the norms of the day. All Right, I asked my co host cal this question before. Who in your marriage is more of the Darcy and who is more of the Elizabeth or are you another character altogether?
Speaker 4: Oh, I feel like hmmm, honestly, it's kind of weird. I never really thought about it, but I think my husband's morally mister Darcy. He's got that like dry quick wit and walks to his own drum. It has that air of independence and almost like a little bit of arrogance sometimes, which must be appealing to me because I'm liking it here again with him.
Speaker 1: Pride. Yeah, the pride, pride and prejudice exactly.
Speaker 4: So I like that in a man, and that confidence that's great, And yeah, i'd probably be more like Lizzie just because she doesn't just go with the way she's told to go. She wants to have her own path.
Speaker 1: I would say my wife is definitely Lizzie. I'm maybe more of a Bingley in what way. I just like the I'm the fun guy. That's my main contribution is just being like, agreeable and fun and hopefully stable.
Speaker 4: Those are all great qualities, so I.
Speaker 1: Like to think. So I like to think I bring something to the table.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Of course, at the end of the story, despite all odds being against it, Elizabeth and Darcy end up engaged. I can't say Darcy just like I have to say Darcy Saws. They surprise each other and they surprise themselves, and through that new knowledge, their love becomes possible. We have a clip.
Speaker 5: You showed me how insufficient all of my pretensions were to please woman worthy of being pleased.
Speaker 1: Oh it's the birds for me right that listener. That is a little taste of the sound design just all through this thing that is so so wonderful. Do you think there's an element of wish fulfillment here, Like a really smart young woman meets a really smart, handsome, wealthy man. Austin Jane Austen started writing this at age twenty, so perhaps there's something aspirational in this story. What do you think for sure?
Speaker 4: I think, I mean, speaking for myself, Yeah, you want that romance and you want that challenge and intrigue. If anything's too easy, it feels like it's not worth it somehow. And I feel like both of the characters in this book really have their own personal jarnies to go through until they find that mutual respect. Looking past the stereotypes and past what all the other women that he had to choose from were, and then learning that she, like he said, she's worthy of his love. That's saying a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and knowing that that Jane Austen started writing this at age twenty, I'm eager to kind of do more research on Austin and what kind of person was she who was such a keen observer of human behavior and the human condition and obviously an incredible wit. And I would think she built Lizzie on herself in some way. But I'm now very curious about our author here, meager to kind of read up on that.
Speaker 4: I know very interesting.
Speaker 1: Are all stories that we consume in culture and media, are they some kind of wish fulfillment. Would you say, Beverly Hills nine oh two one oh?
Speaker 5: Was that?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah? I mean, if you think about it, that was the nineties. There was no Internet. Nobody knew what life in Beverly Hills was like. But man, did it sound good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then when they got to see it on their TV screens every week it looked good.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I know people that have moved from I hear this all the time. I moved from Germany to Beverly Hills so that I could have this life that I saw on my TV. And I'm kind of like, oh, how'd that work out for you? Like, I get a little nervous, but because it's you know, it's it's manufactured, it's not real. Everybody's lives are challenging, but I feel like anything that you really get lost in there is that sense of either it's inspirational or it's aspirational.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was watching Beverly Hills nine oh two and oh from my living room and Atlanta, Georgia and just being like, what is this world? Who are these people? They really live like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a wild, eye opening experience for the rest of the world.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna take a short break, but we'll be right back with more ear Say, okay, Jenny, we're gonna do some rapid fire questions here and in a little segment we're calling plot twist. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: I'm ready?
Speaker 1: All right. At one point in the original novel, mister Collins reads from Fordyce's sermons two young women. They gave advice like be seen and not heard, don't be vain but be very beautiful, don't make men feel bad or insecure. You know, really good reasonable stuff. So he reads the sermons to missus Bennet and her daughters with nottonous solemnity. If you're at a party and you're asked to share a reading, what are you going to reach for? It could be print, audio, video, whatever.
Speaker 4: I feel like. My first instinct is like a roomy poem. I would probably pull out something poetic but meaningful and insightful. Yep, I like it, but certainly none of the same message as that quote you just read.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like a great poem. My grandfather used to recite these poems at big gatherings. Robert Servis was the poet. There are these funny, sort of long shaggy dog stories. There's one called the Cremation of Sam McGhee. There's just sort of these old Yukon trail stories but they rhyme like a Johnny Cash song, and I just loved it. There was no there was no message. It was just entertaining. But it's like my grandfather could just hold the room in these awesome stories.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, it's great.
Speaker 1: All right, We're going to play a clip from the new Audible original Pride and Prejudice, and then I have a question for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, how can you account about having fallen in love with me? How could you begin?
Speaker 5: I can't fix on the hour, or the spot or the look I was in the middle before I knew i'd begun. Oo.
Speaker 1: They're so relaxed. I see something. So it's such a deep confidence in their delivery. I love it.
Speaker 4: They're saying, is so like meaningful.
Speaker 1: Very profound. Yeah, it's very very profound. Okay, So was there a moment that you knew you were in love with your husband?
Speaker 4: For me, it's humor. It's someone that doesn't take things too seriously because I can be quite serious sometimes, so I need that counterbalance of someone who can de escalate a situation, add in that self deprecation and just makes me laugh every time, and then I kind of get out of my like, you know, this is so serious mindset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amen, I mean everybody is. Everybody's so wonderful and charming out of the gate. But once he realized, like, oh, this is a permanent part of this person.
Speaker 4: Like he said, I didn't know it until I was in the middle of it. That's so yeah true. Because when you're with somebody, you think you love them, but then you learn more and more and more about them and you can either grow to not love them so much and realize this is not a good match, or you can find all the little ways that connect you guys. Like I know, watching my husband, who's nine years younger than me, step into this big world that I lived and having three young step daughters to take on when he had no children, no experience whatsoever. I saw him like really trying to struggle through that and be the best he could, but he didn't have any of the tools. But now as we sort of settled into like ten years now, seeing how that has evolved for him, his ability to love in such a deeper, more meaningful way, not just me, but in our daughters. I fall more in love with him just seeing how important he is to them.
Speaker 1: It's just like you said before, having a partner willing to grow with you, and what a growth he's gone through to become a just instant dad. I have two girls, but I've had the benefit of like watching watching them become humans from the very beginning. That's a serious journey, it really is. And it's a testament to you too, to be a partner that can cultivate that. There's another reimagining of Pride and Prejudice called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, a two thousand and nine book and a twenty sixteen movie. What character from Pride and Prejudice would you want with you most and least during a zombie apocalypse?
Speaker 4: I'm so boring. I keep coming back to mister Darcy obviously thinks it's a good answer.
Speaker 1: Answer.
Speaker 4: I just feel like he's gonna be able to handle things. He's smart.
Speaker 1: Can I give you a controversial answer?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wickham, you think you know because he's wiy Yeah, And I feel like he's a little dangerous, like he'll he'll take care of business.
Speaker 2: He know.
Speaker 4: It's how to survive something like that.
Speaker 1: Darcy's going to help you stay like. He's going to keep you grounded. He's going to keep you focused on survival and the courage, and he's going to say all the right things. I think he's a tough guy, but I do feel like Wickham in The Zombie Apocalypse might just be a better utility player.
Speaker 4: Okay, I see it.
Speaker 1: Uh okay. Miss Bingley says that to call a woman accomplished, she needs to be skilled in singing, drawing, dancing, and languages, plus a certain say qua. Darcy adds that she also needs to be very well read. Kind of a long list.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have to sing, I have to dance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a this is a very I'm going to you know, I'm going.
Speaker 4: To just go with the Genessee qua because I think that's where it's at.
Speaker 1: That's your must have in a partner. Yeah, that's the right they just need. So you don't need a partner to be a good singer, drawer, dancer or no multiple languages, uh just qua.
Speaker 4: I kind of would be into somebody. Well, my husband's not the best dancer, so it be really fun to have a guy that could dance, but more importantly is the Genessee Qua.
Speaker 1: I think you're right because that is that's the most open ended dancer. Yeah, right, like Jenna qua is just is like something you like and it's gonna be different for everybody. So yeah, they got to have that. Is there anything that you would have? Are there any must have a partner for you that you know apart from this list? Are there any must haves in a partner?
Speaker 4: Honesty? It's just it's hard. It's hard to be honest all the time.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: I also humor right at the top of my list, accountability. I'm I there's a book that I read that has made such a difference in my Life's called the Four Agreements.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sure, the ancient Toll Tech Wisdom.
Speaker 4: That's the one. That's the one, and one of the four agreements is be impeccable with your word. Yes, I think there's something so important there. Whether you're the one giving your word or you're the one receiving someone else's word, it's important that you do what you say you're going to do. You are who you say you are, you know.
Speaker 1: I agree. I read that book like thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: It's always a good reread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, and that one in particular, I think was a kind of an eye opener because it's like, yeah, of course you want to be honest when you navigate the world, but the way it's explained and laid out, it's really much more of an ethos, a way to move through the world with a sense of truth and integrity.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. That's a juicy one.
Speaker 4: That's a juicy one.
Speaker 1: I think that you nailed plot twist.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you got all the answers.
Speaker 4: Right, I feel like I did pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right. So, Jinny, what is a recommendation that you have a book or an audiobook for our listeners?
Speaker 4: Gosh, I go back to those books that Jonathan Livingston Siegel. I don't know if you ever read that book. That's an old bit a goodie painted such a visual in my mind, and there was some lasting lesson in that about being who you are unapologetically and owning that.
Speaker 1: That sounds right up your alley, really, and that is absolutely a classic and a great recommendation. Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. Yes, great, Jenny Garth, it was so wonderful. Have you here on earsay as our very first guest. What a blast. Thanks being a member of our club. You're in the club, remember you got in.
Speaker 4: I feel so special.
Speaker 1: We'll send you your little card. You can carry it around with you. Okay, thank you, and don't forget listeners. You can hear Jenny Garth on the iHeart podcast I choose Me check it out now. I gotta tell you deconstructing Pride and Prejudice with Jenny Garth a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Well, she seems like the absolute best and I mean very cool for us to have her on our very first episode of the show. I think we grew up around the original Beverly nine two one zero era, so big sort of nerding out over that for.
Speaker 1: Us, absolutely, and it's very cool how she's sort of taken an iconic line from her character and really made it a message for living a better life. So to our audience, thank you for tuning in to this first episode of Earsay. The Audible and iHeart Audiobook Club will be recording these episodes right as these audiobooks are coming out. The next will be a conversation about season two of the Audible original The Prophecy with series creator Randy McKinnon. Cal you get to do that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do so. The Prophecy is an audio drama starring Kerrie Washington, Laurence Fishburne, Daniel Daykim. The premise is basically a question, what if the Bible wasn't made up of stories that happened in the past, but prophecies that were going to happen in the future. Yeah, it's pretty wild. I've listened to it and it is incredible. The way the sound design works too. You really feel like, for example, you're on a moving train with these folks, you're you know, the stresses that you have are the ones that they have. And then the whole question of reality versus what people are experiencing was impactful. The whole thing was a wild listen, so I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I can't wait either, buddy. Now, if you had fun with us today, consider following the show wherever you listen and share it with your friends, your nephew's nieces, pen pals, whomever.
Speaker 2: And your kel pen pals.
Speaker 1: Sure you your calp and pals. Yeah, that's a that is a you're my calpen pals. Yeah, I love it, hearsay. The Audible and iHeart Audio Book Club is a production of Iheart's Ruby Studio.
Speaker 2: We're your hosts Ed Helms and Kelpen. Our executive producer is Matt Schultz, with theme music and post production by Marcus Pagala for Ruby Studio.
Speaker 1: Our managing EP is Matt Romano, our EP of post Production is Matt Stillo, and our production coordinator is Abby Aguilar.
Speaker 2: And of course a big thank you to our friends at Audible. Don't forget. You can listen to what we're listening to on the Audible app or at audible dot com. Sign up for a free thirty day Audible trial and your first audiobook is free. Visit audible dot com slash ear say
Speaker 1: Until next time, thanks for listening,