Speaker 1: Oh to the Hemmer Territory Podcast. My name is Sean Coleman. Hope, wherever you are and wherever if you are listening, you are having a good week. A week that started off think like just a stressful day. Forty eight hours later, we are forty eight hours removed the trade deadline. The Braves have played two games, they continue to play very well, but still there's plenty to talk about when it comes to the fall of the trade deadline. More on that, plus breaking down the games in some expected but kind of unexpected maybe Roster moves all of that on this edition of The Hammer Territory Podcast. But hey, let's start where everybody wants to start talking about the trade deadline or what was a lack of the trade deadline as we mix it up engineered by Fastena, So we're mixing it up a bit because we're going to address just straightforward the negative, the negative that began this week. And I say that it's negative because of course we're going to get into the positive of the fact that the Braves have won seven in a row. But Steven, the first thing that stands out to me, and we're going to break down several aspects of this, But to kind of sum it all up for me is that each and every time I see this team take the field and then play to their potential, them play to a level that truly shows they can win a World Series. This year, it makes me even more frustrated that there was more resources available than we had seen in years, more opportunities to add to this team in the biggest area of need than we've seen in a few years, and still for many of the same reasons that it wasn't done in the past, which made it even more crucial to do it now, this team did not add the level of starting pitcher that it needed to, despite having every reason and resource to get the job done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's up, buddy? So you and I have not had the opportunity to talk about this yet, obviously, Scott and Brad to the post mortem of the trade deadline on Monday. You know, it was a very kind of raw episode. I thought Scott really articulated some of the frustrations very well. Had I been on the show forty eight hours ago, I would have sounded very much like Scott, because I was pretty annoyed, pretty frustrated. The trade deadline reminded me of like if you went to a steakhouse and you ordered your rabbi and you ordered all your sides, and then like twenty minutes later, here comes the waiter and they put down this beautiful bowl of mashed potatoes and this big plate of green beans and these rolls, and you're really excited and you're like, once the stake comes, this is gonna be, this is gonna slap how good this is gonna be. And then the stake just never comes, and it just leaves you kind of wanting for more, not because you dislike anything that they brought out, but because what you were expecting to be the entree, the big piece that ties it all together, just never came. And you know, it always feels like a missed opportunity. It feels like a level of, you know, a conservative level of GMing that's really frustrating to watch. I do believe that, I do strongly believe that you should never go all in on any one baseball season, on any one trade deadline, because there's too much variance in the playoffs. I don't think you should ever go all in. I do think for the Braves, especially with a thirty seven year old as this was the time to put some of the chips in, like you gotta push some chip sin And you know one thing I listened to so somebody asked Andrew Freeman, the GM of the Dodgers, what is the goal for this season? And he gave a foreword answer, and the answer was to win the World Series. That's it. Win the World Series. That was his answer. Over the last two days, Alex has done a lot of media and they've asked him that question a couple of times, and Alex's answer is always like a hundred word answer, mostly a word salad, most of it not meaning much of anything, but it usually ends up with some form of the goal is to make it to the playoffs and then to see what happens. And it does feel sometimes that Alex's in the organization's direction is make the playoffs and then hope variance is on your side, whereas other teams are a bit more aggressive in these spots. And you know, it's just very frustrating. Again, I don't think the Brave should have gone all in. I don't think they should have traded Eric Hartman, and I don't think they should have traded Cam Kevinitti and and and unloaded their entire farm for this team specifically. But you got to push some chips in. You just do It's I think it's disrespectful to the clubhouse. Yes, to not do it. I can't imagine what Chris Sale is thinking. But they didn't, and you know, it's it was very, very frustrating. And the thing is, I like Lane Thomas, I like Tyler Mallley. I actually I really liked those moves. Again, those were the sides at the steak dinner that I ordered that I really like, Like, I liked those moves in a vacuum just they they would have all made so much more sense with one really good picture. And you know, we didn't get it. And we're gonna talk about, you know, how that's gonna play out, and no one really knows how it's gonna play out, how we think it's gonna play out. But it was a very very frustrating day. And I do appreciate a lot of the media members who kind of pushed Alex in his in his zoom at the end. You know, there was a lot of people very confused, a lot of national people confuse. It's been a big topic of conversation over the last forty eight hours about how a lot of people can't believe the Braves didn't go get a frontline starter, and you know, it was a very very very frustrating deadline.
Speaker 1: Yes, Alex did a disservice to this team this year. That's that's exactly what he did. In terms of the fact that you're asking for your GM for a team that is clearly showing on the field it's doing what it can to be a World Series contender. That is the team basically telling the GM, we are ready for you to go out and address the needs that we have so we could be the best version of ourselves to have the best shot at winning the World Series. Alex and Thoppless failed it doing that for this team, and what makes it a bit more frustrating. There's several several factors that make it very frustrating. But for me, it's to continue eua of the same thing that we have seen over the past two plus years. Alex has consistently said he's looking for a playoff starter. He's looking for a playoff starter, He's looking for a playoff starter. He went after some things that we've heard and I'll let you break it down a bit as well, Steven, There's been some news that has come out about who exactly Alex went after Logan web Tark Scooble as well as Jacob de Grom.
Speaker 3: I'm glad he went after those guys. Those are the big fish, those are.
Speaker 1: The difference makers. You land one of those guys, you're right there, I think amongst the three or four best teams in baseball in terms of being a contender for the World Series. But the problem is it was always going to be very hard to land one of those guys. And for Alex, he always seems to want to have these deals be on his terms unless it's a Hall of Fame level talent, and then he'll pay the terms of somebody else. But if it's not that just top tier talent, Alex always has to have the move beyond his terms. It either has to be a certain cost where value is going to be there, or it has to be a certain prospect price and be willing to pay for the.
Speaker 3: Value to be there.
Speaker 1: There were so many other ways for him to pivot that clearly would have made this team better. He just kind of, like you mentioned, he's conservative. To me, I just I don't think he has anything to overpay, even if it would make the team better. But the problem is is that with the money that he had from the profile money, plus the prospects that he now had, you have the ability to overpay. It's okay to overpay if it clearly makes your major league team better in a year where they clearly have the ability to go in the World Series. That's what made me frustrated. It was the time to overpay. We're talking about going all in. You don't have to go all in because you had money to make to be creative on deals, and you have more prospect capital to work with to still retain a strong farm while still going out and making a significant deal. And despite all that being on the table and what he's mentioned for two years, he still did not get the job done. And it's wrong and it's frustrating, and it's a disservice to this team.
Speaker 2: Well, I do think I do think the Braves had a very small list of guys they viewed as impact. I do think the list was much smaller internally than it was externally. I don't think they viewed some of the names that had been bandied about publicly as impact, and they weren't going to pay anything more than what they felt those guys were and on a case by case basis, I could be talked into some of that. I think there was two frustrating parts for me. One, every other team in the National League added impact starting pitching. Yes, the Cubs, the Dodgers, the Brewers, the Padres, you know, like the teams the Braves are going to be competing for. And I'm not sure any of those teams had as big a need that's starting pitching as the Braves did. So that was very frustrating. Not only it's a kind of a double wayman, not only did you not get one, but everybody you're competing against did. And then the other thing that was kind of frustrating for me, not kind of very was it really felt like the prospects being traded, Like I never really saw anybody get a crazy haul, Like it didn't seem like the prices were all that crazy, Like even the schoolbul package was. There's a lot of conversation about like did the Brewers or did the Tigers get enough? Like it didn't seem like a crazy package. I think maybe the Cubs when they got Clay Holmes and Taylor from the Mets. I think they paid a decent price. I think they gave like their number two of overall prospect. But other than that, it really did feel like very reasonable cost for a lot of guys. And you know, Alex does this thing, and he's done this for years where he'll go on and he'll talk about like, yeah, I could have traded for somebody, but then like Drake Baldwin's out the door, and it's like that wasn't the level of prospect that was traded on Monday? Just wasn't, you know? Or he taught you know, well, yeah I could, And what he's essentially saying is, yeah, I could have traded somebody, but Eric Cartman is out the door, and I find I find that to be disingenuous because I don't think that level of prospect was moved by anybody, and still a lot of pitchers changed hands and a lot of teams were able to trade for impact. I do think where the disconnect is between the fan base and the team is I think the team just had a really small list of guys they viewed as impact, and the list was basically Schoobale, the gram Logan Web. I do think they like Gosman. I think the Toronto Blue Jays stuff that we heard from Ken Rosenthal last week, I think that's real. I think I don't think Toronto and the Braves deal with each other, and I think I think they would. But I do think they charged the Braves a little bit more than they charge other teams because Toronto doesn't like Alex. I think Gosman would have been a guy they would have gone after if that wasn't the case. But other than that, I'm not sure they felt like I don't think they thought Casey Mize was all that much of an improvement. I don't think they thought Clay Holmes or you know, Soriano. And I'm not saying I agree with him. I don't on some of those. I do agree with him on others. But yeah, with everybody else getting better, everybody else getting the thing you're going for and you not getting it is just doubly frustrating. The prospect costs seeming to be very reasonable is frustrating. It was just a very frustrating day. And you know, the thing I don't like hearing people say, and I've seen this a lot of less forty eight hours, is if you're mad at Alex, then you need to take a step back and look at how good the team is. And I don't like that logic. I think that logic misses the forest for the trees, because the reason people are mad is not in spite of the fact that the team is. The reason that people are mad is because the team is good. You wanted them to go. Add more like, push some chips in. Don't push all the chips in. You should never push all the chips in on one baseball season. The math doesn't support that. But push some push some chips in. And they just didn't, and and it was just a frustrating day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and the thing that I'll say is this is that my opinion of Alex and Thopolis in and of itself, it's not changed that much. I still think that he is one of the best gams in baseball. I still think that a strength of this team overall is the job Alex typically does. His track record being here speaks to that. But Scott brought up a great point. When you look at the track record of Alex and Thoppolis over the past two to three.
Speaker 3: Years, it's not that great. It's not his very well.
Speaker 2: Alex is in a bit of a cold streak.
Speaker 3: But the other.
Speaker 1: Aspect of it is is that again he's kept pre about we need to add a starter. We're looking to add a starter, we need to add a starter. We're looking to add a starter, but he's not doing what's necessary to add a starter. I still think Alex and Thoughtless is one of best geams in baseball. He did not he did not do his job when it mattered most of this year. And yes, this team still clearly has a chance to win the World Series, but I think that they would have had an easier time going about it had he.
Speaker 3: Just clearly added the need.
Speaker 1: And one thing that I'll end on on is this, the Braves won the twenty twenty one World Series. That should absolutely live on that flag will fly forever. But it's also been five years, and in that five year span, this team has won two playoff games. As Scott Coleman mentioned, Alex consistently references that when he's talking to the media. I know that he was aggressive at that deadline, but I also know that he didn't give up any prospects of value. At some point, when you clearly need to get value, you've got to give up value. And that's the thing that stands out to me. I won't say more than anything, but just another aspect of it. It stands out you speak on value so much, well, then if you speak on value, that to me represents that you understand value and to get it, you've got to be able to give it up. It just does not feel like that that was the case this time around. A disservice was done. We'll have to live with it, but I truly do think it's a missed opportunity and I'm just hoping that it doesn't come back and haness when it matters most. But of course this team right now is not really letting and effective because they've won seven in a row. More on the latest two wins in just a moment after a word from our sponsor than wonderful folks are fasten All.
Speaker 2: Fastenal Industru supplies innovative solutions. Want to learn more, visit Fascinall dot com.
Speaker 4: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year, There's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade.
Speaker 3: Todfather take it Away is a.
Speaker 5: Wonderful option for anybody that's always on the run. I mean, look at myself, from playing baseball to helping out a lot of people. Stride is fantastic for your child to be homeschool. They will love it no matter what.
Speaker 4: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support, all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this fall. See how K twelve Pirate schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul K twelve serving three million students and counting.
Speaker 3: So Stephen.
Speaker 1: Of course, the best way to be able to move on what was a disappointing deadline day is just your team just played to the best of its ability, and that's what we've seen this Braves team do as seven straight wins and we talk about, you know, the fact that you know, after a pretty abysmal or June offensively, this team bounced back to be one of the best offenses in the game in July. But over this seven game stretch and really since the All Star Break, it's been the pitching, especially the starting pitching. Grant Holmes and Bryce Elder deciding to do their best Greg Mannicks impressions, the Braves starting pitching do an absolutely incredible against the best offense in baseball over the weekend against the Nationals. This team is on a roll right now and it's really good to see. It goes to show how effective this team can be. If they can get some quality starting pitching and this offense can mix in the homers with also being able to hit situationally, we can get the job done on a consistent basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're playing really well right now, seven in a row. Bryce Otter was really good tonight. I maintain when Bryce Otter takes the mound, and I don't know if I've ever seen a pitcher where literally every outcome is possible, Like Bryce could have easily thrown a no header tonight and it wouldn't have done me the way he was throwing the ball. He was at like thirty nine pitches at like in the like the fifth inning at one point. There was not a lot of hard hit balls, a lot of pop ups, a lot of weak rounders. It's just very, very difficult to figure out what the hell is going to happen in a Bryce Elder start. I never know. And tonight we got the awesome version. And you know Bryce when he had three strikeouts, Like when Bryce goes well without the strikeouts, it's almost always just babup stuff, you know, I think the I think the Marlins had like an O fifty bab up tonight, So like is that real? I don't know, it counts, doesn't count any less if it's not real. You know, I saw a lot of Well there's your game two starter right there tonight. I'm my guys, I don't think the I don't think the August Marlins are going to be in the postseason. Like, we we can't do this every week where whoever has a good week is now the number two starter in the play. Like I'm gonna start making account of how many times that changes over the next two months. But he pitched well, and the Braves are playing well. And you know, one thing I do really enjoy right now is I looked at the lineup tonight when they posted the lineup and they had Riley batting eighth I think, and Sean Murphy batting ninth, and it was like, this is the most talent the Braves have had in their lineup, just like, maybe not the production from all those guys, but you just look at the names, like it just feels more talented right like Acuna's back, Murphy's back, Riley's back, or you know, Riley's hitting decently right now. And yeah, they're playing well. And I'm really not worried about this. I've said this a few times on the show. I'm really not worried about the regular season with this team right now, Like I think they're gonna you know, I anywhere between ninety and one hundred wins feels very normal right now for this team. The Phillies have gotten a little hot again. They really fell off, but you know, the Braves lead I think is still at like eight games. You know, they can be very conservative with Chris Sale. They actually pushed him. I think originally he was gonna pitch in this series. They pushed him to the Yankee Series, and they can do that now because they've got a comfortable lead. Like the regular season is really not all that worrisome to me, and I do think the Braves have a really good regular season team right now. How this team is gonna be judged is gonna what happens in October, like the first. You know, one really good thing that's happened is the Dodgers have really fallen off the wagon, and the Braves have actually caught the Dodgers in terms of like the seed one in two seed. I think the Braves are the two seeds right now, so that would mean they would get to skip the wildcard round. I don't think the Dodgers are, Like, you know, the Dodgers have played like four hundred baseball for about a month now. I don't think that's gonna continue. But you know, it's now a race again of who's gonna get those top two seeds. And that's probably with the most important part of what's left in the regular season and keeping everybody healthy, of course. But yeah, the team's playing well and it is going to be funny watching over the next two months. Every time somebody has a good start, they're the they're the new number two starter, and every time somebody has a bad start, I'll get them out of that number two spot. I do think it's going to be a bit of a circus in that regard, and we're just I mean, it's it's really gonna come down to who's pitching well at the end of September. That's probably gonna end up being who it is. So who's pitching well at the beginning of August is not gonna matter that much. But they're playing really well right now, and the Dodge they've caught the Dodgers the one two three seed is now a real fight, and that's kind of what the Bridgs are going to be concentrated on for the next two months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mean to put a poor bit of cold water on it, but I do also want to, you know, put out there another reason why I'm so glad they're playing well is because of how hard the next stretch of the season is going to be starting, you know, with that Yankee series coming up on the weekend. You know, though the Braves and the Dodgers are basically neck and neck right now, not too far behind the Bergs when it comes to the one, two three spot. The Dodgers have one of the five easiest schedules left in baseball. The Braves have won the five hardest. And the other thing that I'll say is this is that when it comes to the division, I think that we have a comfortable leave, but we still have seven games against the Phillies in September. So I'm not suggesting you were saying they need to, you know, light and you know, take the foot off the gas pedal at all. I'm just saying that it's really good they're playing like this during this stretch, taking advantage of the manager before the schedule before it gets really difficult. But one of the really good things to see is Austin Riley. Tonight, Austin Riley one hundred and ten miles per hour, pulled ground world double off a ninety eight mile per hour fastball from Uri Perez inside, and then he comes right back to the end of the game and takes a ninety eight mile per hour fastball to the opposite field. It obviously seems as if his approach is continuing to get better, and I know that in July he still struggled, but I do want to put a bit of, you know, a spotlight on the fact Austin Riley has been hitting the ball very hard in.
Speaker 3: The month of July and now going into August.
Speaker 1: Even though he was striking out at nearly a forty five percent clip, I think for the last two weeks in July the average exit velocity, but he's putting the ball in play was ninety five plus and he's continuing to do that. I believe he hit a home run last night as well. So Austin Riley, I'm not saying he's locked in. I'm not saying he's back to being himself, but he is showing signs that he's rounding into form and that's really good to see with how much it extends this lineup, especially in terms of power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, do I believe it completely? No, I don't. I'm gonna need to see it for another probably two or three weeks, and probably even longer than that, honestly, probably like a month before I'm like, oh, yeah, this is now like Austin Riley has found it again. But I will say, you know, he's batting at the bottom of the lineup. I think there's a lot less stress there will it's been pretty consistently. Batting him eighth, he's hitting the ball hard, he's still striking out a ton even you know, since the All Star break. I think Austin has a like a nine hundred ops since the All Star break, but it's come with like a forty percent strikeout rate, so it is a little bit of a mirage. But like you said, since the All Star break is average Ecevlasity's ninety six miles an hour, so that's no joke. That means he's squaring the ball up, which we haven't seen him do all year. So just that alone is improvement. I don't know that this nine hundred ops since the All Star break is all that real, but you can't fake hitting the ball hard. You either do it or you don't, so that part is at least real. And again, batting eight, there's a lot less pressure on him to be great. You know, Michael Harris has kind of stayed pretty consistent all year, which has been the big thing Ozzie's been, you know solid. I do like addition to Lane Thomas, you know, Yas has picked it up a bit, so like the offense just looks better right now, and you know, Sean Murphy's back, I thought, I do want to say, I think Sean Murphy behind the plate tonight for Bryce Elder was a big part of the game. Everybody looked better. I mean, even like did you or Flintes came in and it wasn't just you know, fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball fastball. He's mixing in the slider, mixing in the splitter. Just look better. I do think having Murphy behind the plate is a big deal. I don't know if we talk about that enough him being back. I know everybody focuses on the offense, but the offense is is quite honestly, the I think the offense is the least important part of his game, especially right now when he's batting ninth, Like, yeah, you want him to hit, of course, but what he does for the pitching staff, what he does against the running game, framing, blocking, you know, pitch calling, you know, getting a pitcher through a lineup multiple times, that is insanely valuable. And I'm actually very to see what Tyler Malley looks like with Sean Murphy, because again, I do like the Tyler Mally move. I do think there's some upside there. I'm curious to see what he looks like. But yeah, the team, everything looks good right now. The pitching is doing well, the offense is doing well. The schedule is gonna get tougher, and of course it's all gonna come down to October when you're playing nothing but good teams. But you know, you got you do have to enjoy the ride a little bit, and right now they're playing as good as they played all year.
Speaker 1: One other thing I want to hit on because I do want to get back to the Sean Murphy, you know, being back once again in just a moment. But I also want to shout out Diddy or for Wintes. He looked just very good again tonight. And what stands out to me, Steven is that obviously the stuff is just electric, but it's the composure and it's the knowledge of how to pitch.
Speaker 3: You know, we've talked so much.
Speaker 1: He just turned twenty one years old, I think with in the past two weeks, right, we talk so much about guys being as young as he is with this electric stuff. But they their throwers, they're not really pitchers. They don't get the nuance of how to you know, be able to really harness their stuff, you know, to be in different potential roles and still be effective. Did heer for Wintes gets it right? Like, it really stands out that he gets it? And I mentioned that because you know, Robert Suarez has been a topic of conversation over the past couple of days. You know, the another question about Alex at the trade deadline, well, if you didn't go get an impact starter, why didn't you, you know, potentially pivot go get an impact reliever as well? With some questions out there about Swarez where you haven't really gotten you know, straightforward answer about what he's dealing with. But this team still seems cautiously optimistic, you know, not necessarily on hope, but more you know that they feel he's going.
Speaker 3: To be back.
Speaker 1: If you get Suarez back and have Wintes, it's going to be great. But I do think what stands out to me is did hear for Wintes is going to be a weapon in the postseason? And what I mean by that is is one that you can be creative with, not someone that's just kind of pitched the eighth inning, but maybe earlier in the game when you're went against the top of the opposing order, and you need to get five to six outs with the lead and get through a tough part of the game, even though it may be in the fifth or sixth inning. You can trust for wind Test to go in there, even if it may not be his moral time of pinching in the game. That's why I think he could be a weapon. That that versatility is so big for a guy with his stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and four outs. He got four outs tonight. Dylan Dodd was Yeah, it was Dylan Dodd. Am I crazy? Yeah, No, it was. I thought. I thought Flent does look really good tonight. And you know, I'll say this, Alex's whole thing about not getting a picture an impact starter was you know, in the in the postseason, you can use your bullpen a lot more aggressively because of how many off days there are. And he's not wrong about that. And there is a world especially like when you if you consider Grant Holmes a reliever, which I kind of do, like if you put Homes in the mix with all the other relievers, like, there is a world where they can really they can really dominate a game with that bullpen. I do agree with you. I do think that point would have better been sold if they had actually gotten another reliever at the deadline. You know, uh, suitor is is what he is, is kind of a third left in the bullpen. But yeah, the bullpen could be very good and I do think did Year is going to play a big role. Robertsworre Is getting back is crucial, and you know Alex, Yeah, Alex talked about it in his zoom call that he feels good and they're and they're really taking it slow with him, which I think is the right move when you have the lead they do. It's really not about August and September with him right now, it's just like get get ready for October and having Didier, Fintez, Dylan Lee, Robert Swarez, Russ ill Iglesias. You know, I would even put Grant Homes in that group. Maybe one of the other guys comes up, maybe a just mis Schalver is in there. Like I do think that bullpen can just be unbelievably nasty. And you know, now that they didn't get a starter, the bullpen is going to play a massive role and how what kind of October they have, And you know, I do think it's a very good group. I think you could argue it's one of the very best in baseball. I don't know if it's the best, but it's certainly one of the best, and they're gonna need them. And it was also big for Bryce to get to seven innings tonight, so the bullpen only had to cover two. Need a few more of those, right, get the bullpen to October without having to use the hell out of them like they have for a lot of June and July. You know, seven innings tonight was massive from Bryce, and my god, could they use a few more of those from everybody? And the bullpen doesn't have to cover four or five innings every night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing that has not changed about this team is that if they get past the if they can get their starter to go five innings and they are even if they're down one or two runs, this team should be confident they can win every time because of how good the offense in the bullpen can be lading games. But more on non trade related roster moves and how that could kind of, you know, round out the roster, especially on the position player side.
Speaker 3: More on that in just a moment after a ward from our partners.
Speaker 4: This is that time of year. Aja, it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 6: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up, we have Yankees clubs coming up.
Speaker 3: Where's Yankees red sox?
Speaker 6: That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here and as the penachases really heat up, go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 4: Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Keek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: So Stephen, of course, the the other notable moves that occurred at the trade deadline was maybe you've been unexpected. But we saw both Joey Bart as well as Eli White traded.
Speaker 3: Bart went to the White Sox. Eli White went to the Red Sox.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool story about, you know, Eli White going to the Red Sox, who he heered four Continne Thomas coming to who he cheered four gobaals. By the way, when it comes to Lane Thomas, I think for two minor League believers, I think that's how it went. But Brave was doing that just you know, really try to manage the roster crunch that was coming. Of course, another movie that was made was a Whorehven Hayo is designated for assignment and that means that along with the trade moves, both Sean Murphy and Hassan Kim are back in the fold. So that's two veterans who obviously over the past twelve months themselves have not lived up to expectations right really over the past you know, two years for both of them, but you know, the potential could be there for them to be contributors. But the reason that I bring them up is because it really starts to get interesting when you're looking at the back end of.
Speaker 3: The position player group.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll throw in Jim Jarvis as well as Dom Smith in that mix as well. Kind of where does everybody fit. I think everybody has a role now. But if any of those guys were to besides Murphy, if any of those guys that are in one year deals were to really start to struggle, it could make sense to maybe consider other alternatives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was definitely lost in the headline of the Brave is not getting impact starter, but there was a lot of roster moves and I did find it interesting. You know, we've been talking about this Hassan Kim return for about a month, about how they're gonna handle it, what they're gonna do, and Alex was asked about it, and you know, he said, hass On Kim's coming back, and it was never any conversation that he wasn't coming back, which was a little surprising to me. I thought, I thought, like, and here's why I say that, because right now, when there's a writing on the mound, Jim Jarvis is gonna start a shortstop. And when there's a lefty on the mound, or there's a guy with reverse splits like there was tonight, it looks like Dubon is gonna start at shortstop, so like, I don't know when Kim's gonna play, And and Walt even said that today to the Beat writers. He's like, I don't know how I'm gonna get Kim any playing time. And if he's just going to be a pure bench I do wonder, like, is Kim the best option for that, because he doesn't really bring a ton of speed, he doesn't bring a ton of defense. Like usually when you're talking about bench player, there specific skills that you're targeting to help you in certain parts of the game, and I thought maybe Mateo was better suited for some of that, certainly as a speed guy, especially if you're gonna get rid of Eli White as well, maybe having Mateo's speed, especially when you get to October, might have made some sense. It's not the biggest deal in the world. It's not like I'm I'm freaking out over I was just a little surprised that they were they it seems like they're making that spot a pure bench spot, and I don't know that Kim has the requisite skills to be all that valuable of a bench player. I ironically, I do think Kim is the best player overall of the bunch, like of Matteo. Like you told me who's he asked me who's better between Kim or Mateo, I would say Kim. But if you ask me who the best bench piece is, I might say Mateo just because he's you know, like you can pinch run him. He's a good defender at short you know, I think he's better than Kim there. So I don't know, it was interesting. It's not the biggest deal in the world. I did find it notable that Bart got moved. I thought there was a chance they might keep a third catcher around, just because that that last bench spot is used so little, and they've already gone through like what happens if Sean Murviy gets hurt and now we're scrambling for another catcher, And they went through it after they traded away Jonaheim or DFA Jonaheim and they were in catcher hell there for a minute after Baldwin got hurt. I thought they might keep Bart around, but obviously they feel comfortable with just the two. I saw Chadowick Trump actually elected free agency. I do wonder if they might bring Chadowick Trump back to stan Gwinett as insurance, but yeah, nothing huge. There was no you know, gigantic move. Again, I do love the Lane Thomas move, and I've been saying for basically since spring training. I thought our right handed out, a right handed outfelder that could upgrade Eli White's spot made a ton of sense. And that's effectively what they did. And so you know, of course it's a move that I like. So, yeah, some notable stuff. And I am curious, like with Kim now because you have Jarvis and Dubon, like when is he when exactly is he gonna start? How much is he gonna play? We'll see they don't, you know, from Walt's mouth today, they don't really know how they're gonna get him any playing times. So we'll see what they do.
Speaker 3: So this is.
Speaker 1: Where I think Alex's job may not be totally done yet. And I'm not going to get into a bunch of names. Yes, many and Brave's country know that, you know. Recently, Jorge Silaire was designated for assignment. Marcelo Zuno was released today by the Pirates. Those are some notable names. I'm not going to sit here and spend a bunch of time advocating for them, but I do think there's an order of operations here. Hassong Kim is in that twenty sixth spot where you don't utilize it a lot. But but the reason why I think that Hassan Kim is in that spot is because this team wants to see what Jim Jarvis does. If Jim Harvests were to struggle and were to not be able to get the job done offensively, you have an easy out. He's got options. You can send him back to the minors. And we know that Alex and Thopless loves death. You send him back to the minors. You then got de bond as being your main shortstop, and then Hawsung Kim steps up a bit to be the utility guy in the infield. So that's why haw Sung Kim right now is that twenty six guy. But where I say Alex's job is not done, go sign one or two of these veterans, especially outfielders or DH types that you can put in the miners and you can have there as options to where if Jarvis struggles and you option him down, where you've naturally got someone with a bit more power potential who can come in that twenty six spot or if Jarvis says, well, and you can use the bond all over the field, maybe eventually you move on from Kim to get a guy with a bit more power. I think that's it would be a smart way to add depth. And I'm not saying that any of this really works out in the braves favor, but it also gives you an alternative against right handers at the DH spot. If Dom Smith were to struggle, you've got another alternative. I mean, there's a reason why Alex and Thoppolis went out and signed Andrew McCutcheon and Carlos Santana despite their age to be in the miners. It was to have alternatives. If you know, his right handed outfield options just fell off the face of the earth, or Don did well, you've got better options now to put in the miners.
Speaker 3: Go do that.
Speaker 1: It's probably not gonna be anything of significance, but it's a risk remove. Go build up your depth to see maybe if you could find lightning in the bottle, that could really once again give this offense even more.
Speaker 2: Than Yeah, and I don't know if it would be a zuner or soilarigist because they're so limited. Yeah, but like two of the guys that came loose today were Rob Rothschnyder and Austin Hayes the White Sox. Both guys got da fade. It would not stun me at all to see the Braves trying to get one of those guys to play in the outfield in Gwinette as insurance, like you were just talking about if if Jarvis struggles, which would not surprise me. You know, I think people are losing their mind a little bit on Jarvis. I think he's a nice player, but like if he had if he had a bad couple of weeks, like it's not it wouldn't like stun me, and they optioned him and nobody should really freak out about that. I actually think Debon is the best short step on the roster, but it's not. It's neither here nor there. I would not be a surprised at all if the if the Bradys went and grabbed one of these right handed outfielders, especially you know, if nothing else is like a Kunya insurance if he gets hurt again, Like you don't want to be in a spot where you're really short, you know. Austin Hayes makes a lot of sense to me actually, now that I think about it, as somebody you could try to get to Gwinnett or even on the big league roster and just option Jarvis immediately. Again, I don't think it's the end of the world to do that, but you know, Lane Thomas does provide a little bit of that insurance as well. So we'll see what they do. There's always moves like this in in August. Now that the waiver deadline doesn't exist anymore, there are no more August trades. You know, the way the teams have kind of gotten around that is is, you know, teams that aren't great will start letting DFA some of their players, and you know how they go through waivers and get to your team is kind of a whole, a whole thing. So we'll see, we'll see what they do. But I wouldn't be surprised if they added somebody like that, you know, if they're willing to go to Triple A, or even if they're willing to sit on the bench and maybe Jarvis goes to Triple A. Yeah, it wouldn't stun me.
Speaker 1: And then I'll end on this final note that brings me to my my you know, my whole point here is that when we talk about you know, I brought it up today and that since May first, this team the Since May first, the Braves have the twenty fifth best WRC plus from the shortstop position in baseball since June for twenty sixth best since June first, they have the twenty sixth or twenty fifth best WRC plus from the d H position.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The answer to all this to what are you going to do with these players on one year deals or at the end of the end of the roster is Sean Murphy. Like, if Sean Murphy can prove last year, Sean Murphy on a basically only playing on one hip, he still had a ninety seven WRC plus. If Sean Murphy can give you a one hundred ten WRC plus on a regular basis him at catcher and drake it DH, that's the answer and that should be the answer. Like to me, you should prioritize Sean Murphy playing catcher against right handers with Drake it DH over Dom Smith to give Sean Murphy the number of at bats he needs to really get to a group because come playoff time, it's hard to imagine a better scenario being beneficial for the Braves than de Bond at short Sean Murphy catching Drake Balderman at DH, and I think the way that you get there is to prioritize Sean Murphy's playing time. Tonight he looked a little bit lost to.
Speaker 3: The plate steel.
Speaker 1: It's hard for him not to with how limited his playing time is. But I know people don't want to hear anything about Sean Murphy's offense, but I won't stop hitting on it because at the end of the day, that answers the most questions because then it puts him at the catcher position, which more than anything helps out your potential lact of pitching in a playoff matchup. So we could talk about all these different players catching lightning in the bottle, what have you. But the answer that makes the most sense Sean Murphy catching Drake at DH, debondt short, and that helps spoke your lineup but also your pitching staff. And I think that's what the Brave we should look to prioritize to get in the groove before the playoffs come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't done me at all to see you know Drake DH quite a bit and Murphy start. I would probably do that even if there's a lefty on the mound, you know, even if there's a righty on the mound, like I would, I would certainly try to get Murphy as many reps as possible behind the plate at the plate just to get him hot back up. I do think Sean Murphy being back to Sean Murphy levels is the best version of this team. You know, you could make the same arguing about Hassan Kim at short like, now that you have kind of a decent lead again, you know, should you try it for a couple of series and see what he looks like, because he does have enough upside. He he has been a decent player for long enough where you know there's some upside there if you can get him going again. So yeah, it wouldn't stun me to see that at all. You know. The offense, you know, for all to talk about the pitching, if you go, if you go look at the last few times the Braves have been in the playoffs, it's the offense that's really disappeared, and it's something they've struggled with scoring runs in October. And you know, especially since the pitching staff in the rotation is not as strong as maybe we hoped it would be. I think the bullpen is very good. The offense pulling more weight in October means a lot. So you know, Austin hitting better right now, Akunya has had some better at bats. You know, Murphy's back, Baldwin and Olson still look fantastic. You know, can you get anything from Hassan Kim like that part of the team doesn't get talked about as much because all the conversations about on the pitching. It's a massive part of October that the Braves have been missing the last few years, and hopefully they can turn it, you know, write a different story in twenty twenty six because I don't I certainly don't think the Braves have the starting pitching to just dominate their way through October. In terms of run prevention, the bullpen has that level of talent. The Braves are gonna have to score runs in October, and you know, getting all these guys, keeping them healthy and getting these guys back on track, Akunya, Riley, Murphy, it goes a long way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this offense is gonna have to be back to getting one of the best, being one of the best in baseball and they have the potential to do.
Speaker 3: I mean, just think about this.
Speaker 1: If Riley can get back to heat to an at least reliable level, like seven fifty eight hundred oh ps level, maybe you would have a top six of Baldwin, Acunya, Olson, Harris, Ozzy and Riley in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: But then think.
Speaker 1: About this, the bottom part of your order would include Sean Murphy as well as Mauricio Devon, plus one of Mikeya Strimsky or Lane Thomas.
Speaker 3: But also going.
Speaker 1: Into October, you would have three of these four on your bench. Lane Thomas, Mikey Strimsky, Dom Smith as well as Hassan Kimp. That's a very advantageous bench in terms of the offensive potential that could be there in late game scenarios. So I definitely think that there is a very good outcome. This offense is worthy enough to go after and win a World Series. It's just going to have to perform at that level, and so it'll be very interesting to see what happens. But like I say, Sean Murphy kind of refinding his form, you know, the form that made him attractive to the braves to trade for, that would be a really good outcome that to me is one of the best case scenario outcomes for this team. Anything else from you, Steven as we wrap up this edition of the Hammer Territory podcast.
Speaker 2: No, just real quick. Eric Hartman, John Heel, cam Kemmernindie all got promoted to Double A. And I think the Double A promotion is the most significant promotion because it's kind of the first level where if you really show out year one call away from the biggs and so you know how those guys do over the next month. It's not out of the realm of possibility that one of those guys could come up in September if they're if they're really destroying the ball in Double A now, they would have to really tear the ball off the cover, you know, the cover off the ball, especially like Hartman and and John Heel, you know Camanidy, they're probably gonna take a little bit more time with But they're all in Double A now. And we've seen Michael Harris come up from Double A. We've seen I think Schwellenbach came up from Double A. I think von Grissom came up from Double A. Like the brands are very aggressive with with promotions and especially when skuys get to that level. So I just found it notable that some of the Braves bigger prospects are now at that level and are not not far away.
Speaker 1: To be honest, if you have an injury and expect an injury in the outfield, especially to maybe a guy like Lane Thomas, who you you know you value his speed, Yeah, I mean Eric Hartman comes up and shows up his his you know, he shows his metal, he shows his worth in double eight. It's not like his speed would be a bad thing to have on a playoff.
Speaker 2: He can fly. I think he's got like does he have like fifty steels this year?
Speaker 1: So so, so you not only see that Tates South the scene, you could see the same thing with how well.
Speaker 2: He does now he's in he's in Double A two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he got promoted to Double A Yeah, him too.
Speaker 2: I should have I should have included his name in that.
Speaker 1: But the point that I'm getting at is is that you would have them for speed, But it's not like in a light game scenario you're not going to prefer it. But if you just have no other alternative, catch lighting in the bottle of that one spot. So again, that's far fetch. Don't expect for it to happen. But to your point, we've seen many guys go up multiple levels in some in the minor league system. And if we get through this year, we go into twenty seven, which we don't really know what's going to look like. What does it look like for twenty twenty nine, you may start to see the future a bit faster than you may have anticipated. So listen, it's disappointed as a trade dead on boy. As a point that we're making, there's a lot of reason to remain excited about this team, to be excited about this team. Get excited about this team. There is a chance this team can win the World Series. There are aspects of this team that are contender worthy. They just have to perform at it. And you do have some resources to where if something that work out, maybe you pivot. See what you've got for Steven Toler. You can find him at be Underscore Outliers on Twitter, slash Acts. My name is Sean Coleman at Stats, sac Hammer Territory across all forms of social media, par the Foul Territory family of podcasts. Want to end on this final note, the support that this show has received over the past two to three weeks has been absolutely incredible. Cannot thank you enough for the support, subscribing, listening, watching all that different stuff. Brad and Scott to the best in the game, have been incredible on their end. We just can't thank you enough. Plenty of opportunity to come, but it's just a lot of fun when we're interacting and enjoying Braiz baseball and getting to break it down for you here on Hammer Territory. Until next time, go Braze. We'll talk to you soon here on the Hammer Territory podcast.
Speaker 2: Philly is Lost