Speaker 1: If your parents say that you can't play with your food, you just tell them that I said it was okay, because it's going to help you learn and help you like more foods and new foods can sometimes feel a bit scary or overwhelming or weird, and playing with them is really the best way to feel comfortable trying something new. What's really cool about being a nutritionist is that you get to help people, help them feel good and happy, and you.
Speaker 2: Also get to be a scientist too.
Speaker 1: Nutritionists are kind of like superheroes sometimes with helping people be healthy and helping kids grow.
Speaker 3: That's Casey Barnes, the smart nutritionist behind Mama Knows Nutrition, and she joins us on this.
Speaker 4: Episode of Growing Up.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Growing Up, the Lingo Kids podcast that encourages kids to dream big and.
Speaker 4: Discover who they want to be.
Speaker 3: Join us on an epic adventure to uncover the secrets behind awesome skills, cool hobbies, and the incredible journeys of people who followed their dreams.
Speaker 4: In this episode, Luis.
Speaker 3: And I will travel to a very old English ship in the middle of the sea, and we'll uncover the secrets behind how to have fun when eating any meal.
Speaker 4: So grab your.
Speaker 3: Detective hats and let's solve this tasty puzzle together.
Speaker 5: Why, come on, come on, come on.
Speaker 6: I can only win this game if my Space Ranger eats all the flying chocolates.
Speaker 5: Come on, come on, come on.
Speaker 6: Oh I was so cool to eating all the chocolates in the universe.
Speaker 4: Louise, sweetie, Yes, what do you want for lunch?
Speaker 6: Mac and cheese?
Speaker 4: That's what you had yesterday and the day before that.
Speaker 6: But I love mac and cheese.
Speaker 1: I love them too, But we all need to eat a different things so you can grow big and strong.
Speaker 5: How about some broccoli with mac and cheese? Broccoli?
Speaker 2: Maybe some spinach?
Speaker 6: Dan, Why do the veggies always have to be green and achy? Please? Can I just have the mac and cheese? I like? I promise I'll eat my veggies later.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, fine, classic mac and cheese it is. But next time we're trying broccoli.
Speaker 6: Okay, Mom, I'll get that low.
Speaker 7: Hi, Louise, it's it's Emily.
Speaker 6: Hi, Emily, what's up? Where are you?
Speaker 7: I'm in the middle of well a ship actually.
Speaker 6: What like in the ocean? Yes, near England, England, that's super far away.
Speaker 5: I want to go. How can we get there.
Speaker 7: Well, I called you just for that. Don't hang up two two four seven, Emily.
Speaker 6: I can hear you pressing all those butts.
Speaker 7: Okay, Louise, hang on tights.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Emily, what's my phone doing?
Speaker 7: It's going to bring you to where I am? Right now?
Speaker 5: Come with me, Maxy.
Speaker 6: But god, well where am I? The floor's moving a lot and the waves are super strong. Wait, Emily, is that you up there? Hi?
Speaker 3: Louise, yep, it's me in just a sec. Let me get down from here.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: How did everything go with our telephone? I mean our teleporter?
Speaker 6: It was a nice time travel ride. I love this shit, though? Why are we here?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: Before answering that question, I'll ask you something. Did you have a good lunch before coming?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 6: I had mac and cheese.
Speaker 3: Good because your body will turn all that food into energy for the.
Speaker 4: Rest of the day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm super charged, Emily. But what about those men over there? They don't look so good.
Speaker 4: You're right, Louise.
Speaker 3: Those are sailors, part of the ship's crew. Ough, and unfortunately they're sick.
Speaker 6: Oh no, Why well, they.
Speaker 3: Didn't have pretty good lunches for quite a while.
Speaker 4: Now, Actually, what.
Speaker 6: Does having lunch have to do with being sick, Emily.
Speaker 4: It has to do with something called nutrition.
Speaker 6: Nutrician, what's that?
Speaker 5: Nutrition?
Speaker 3: Is these science that explains how food keeps us healthy and running and jumping around.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, there's a whole science just for food.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is, And I want you to remember this as we are going to come back to food science in a minute. Right now, there is a doctor on this ship who is here to help the sailors, So let's focus.
Speaker 6: Okay, nu nutrition.
Speaker 4: I remember this man is doctor James Blend.
Speaker 6: How is he gonna help the sailors.
Speaker 4: He's giving them lemon juice.
Speaker 6: Ah gross, I'd want to hot chocolate if I was feeling.
Speaker 4: Sicke Oh well, that does seem tasty.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, lemon juice has a special thing that's going to help change the sailors lives forever.
Speaker 4: It's called vitamin C.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, look, Emily, the magic of lemons.
Speaker 3: The magic of science. Now let's go through a quick science lesson.
Speaker 6: I love science and magic me too.
Speaker 3: You see, doctor James lind saw the sailors looking ill and realize it was because their lunches were missing a little something.
Speaker 6: It was missing lemons were getting there. Yes, Oh wow, how did the doctor know that?
Speaker 4: Because doctor Lynde understood.
Speaker 6: Nutrition science behind food exactly, Louise, good memory, A good nutrition means a balance and healthy diet.
Speaker 3: And oh, these poor fellows didn't have it. And doctor lynd figured out what was missing from their lunch vitamin C.
Speaker 6: They needed lemons because lemons are vitamin C.
Speaker 3: Almost lemons have vitamin C and many other very tiny things that we call nutrients nutrients.
Speaker 6: So nutrition comes from nutrients.
Speaker 5: Very good, Louise.
Speaker 3: Take the mac and cheese you had for lunch, for example, didn't you say you felt supercharged? It's because pasta's key nutrients is carbohydrates. We also call them carbs, and carbs can be like a good dose of sugar.
Speaker 6: Carbs make you feel super full of energy.
Speaker 5: Then that's right.
Speaker 6: Oh but why did my mom want to add some broccoli to my lunch?
Speaker 4: Well, you see, nutrients are like pieces of a puzzle.
Speaker 6: What do you mean, Emily.
Speaker 3: In a puzzle, every piece counts to make the whole picture. Good nutrition works just like that, but with food, you need all the right pieces to have a healthy meal for lunch. That means eating different foods at once. The more colors on your plate.
Speaker 4: The better.
Speaker 6: So mac and cheese looks very yellow. That means I gotta have more colorful food to grow healthy and strong.
Speaker 5: Uh huh.
Speaker 6: And broccoli is so so green like forest green.
Speaker 3: You're on the right track, Luise. Your mom knows that broccoli is super rich and a nutrient called fiber and many other things that your body needs.
Speaker 4: So broccoli with pasta makes your meal balanced.
Speaker 3: Yep, Okay, I think we're done with this mini science lesson.
Speaker 6: So that's why grown ups talk about having balanced meals and get grumpy when I don't eat veggies.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, because they want you to be healthy.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's super fun. It's like making a very colorful drawing every time you eat.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly that. And you know what. I know a nutritionist.
Speaker 3: Whose job is to know what foods make for the best nutrition.
Speaker 4: Her name is Casey Barnes.
Speaker 5: Let's go meet her.
Speaker 6: I want to know everything about being a nutritionist now like this second.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll use my phone so we can go back.
Speaker 6: Stay cool, doctor Lynd, thanks for saving the crew.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our growing up talking game show.
Speaker 4: Sorry we're soaking wet.
Speaker 5: We'll fix that.
Speaker 3: By warming up with a nice interview. Please welcome our guest today, Casey Barnes, an incredible nutritionist with hundreds of thousands of followers in her platform Mama Knows Nutrition, Luis, why don't you take the mic? I know you have lots of questions about food.
Speaker 6: Yess I do, Emily, Okay, Casey, My first question is what does a nutritionist do?
Speaker 1: So what's really cool about being a nutritionist is that you get to help people help them feel good and happy. And you also get to be a scientist too, because you get to learn so much about food and discover things that most people don't know and how food works in the body. I help people be able to eat healthy foods that make them strong and full of energy.
Speaker 2: I love being a helper in that way.
Speaker 1: And I just think how great it is to imagine that there's you can choose foods that help you run faster and jump higher and think better in school.
Speaker 2: It's so amazing how much food helps us.
Speaker 6: I have another question. It's very very important. If food is so amazing, why can't I play with it at the table. It's just so much fun.
Speaker 1: If your parents say that you can't play with your food. You just tell them that I said it was okay, because it's going to help you learn and help.
Speaker 2: You like more foods.
Speaker 6: Wait, really new.
Speaker 1: Foods can sometimes feel a bit scary or overwhelming or weird, and playing with them is really the best way to feel comfortable trying something new. So my kids they really like to be animals when they're eating, like pretending to be a rabbit nibbling a garden or a dinosaur chomping on a leaf.
Speaker 7: If your parents say that you can't play with your food.
Speaker 4: You just whoa was that?
Speaker 6: Oh? Nothing, just a recording so I can show this as proof to my mom. Ah. So, Casey, what are some other ways to make food fun for kids like me?
Speaker 2: Sometimes we play a would you rather?
Speaker 7: Game?
Speaker 1: And so that way my kids have some choice in what they're eating, you know, would you rather an apple or the green bean? And that just makes it more fun when you can make it playful instead of saying you need to eat.
Speaker 6: This, Oh that sounds super fun. Between mac por cheese, I choose mac and cheese.
Speaker 4: Good one Louise.
Speaker 3: Mac and cheese is such a yummy recipe, Casey. My kids sometimes surprise me with their fun food combos.
Speaker 4: Do your kids do that too?
Speaker 1: The most surprising things is that my kids come up with the most interesting and creative combinations that I would never think of at all.
Speaker 2: The Other day, my daughter Amelia made me.
Speaker 1: A sandwich, which was so sweet of her, and she put both cheese and red peppers red bell peppers on it, which I never would have thought to put together.
Speaker 2: But she is so creative.
Speaker 6: That sounds yummy. You're giving me tons of ideas from my mom's new dinner menu, Casey.
Speaker 1: Yes, a lot of times it's just about adding cheese. I think cheese makes everything tastes better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that actually makes me wonder how did your parents help you get passionate about food and nutrition?
Speaker 1: So, when I was a little girl, we had a garden in my backyard, and my mom grew up with a garden in her backyard. I just love the memories of being with my mom in the garden picking those red, juicy tomatoes and cucumbers and fresh mint that smells incredible, weaving group pumpkins.
Speaker 2: It was so fun to see.
Speaker 1: How big and bright and orange they would So I just love those memories being with my mom and picking vegetables in the garden.
Speaker 6: Wow, having a garden like that would be so awesome. Maxie would totally love it too. I have an alien tree with neon fruits and tentacles.
Speaker 3: Oh, those would be interesting fruits to try.
Speaker 1: The other day, my daughter wanted to pick up a dragon fruit from the grocery store and we had to look up how do you tell if a dragon fruit is right? But I just love that we get to learn some of those things together.
Speaker 6: Dragonfruit, I can cut it with my night sword. Yeah. I want to be a food explorer, Emily. I can travel to Mac and Cheese Planet or the Milky Shakeway.
Speaker 3: When I become an astronaut, I'll make sure I check those out. Speaking of milkshakes, Casey, what do you think of fast food?
Speaker 1: Fast food is very tasty. I love French fries myself, but fast food is usually missing important things that our bodies do need to feel their best, like fruits and vegetables. So fast food is something I like to have just once in a while. I don't like to look at foods as good or bad, because all foods have good components in them because they're all providing energy to our bodies.
Speaker 2: So there's all.
Speaker 1: Foods can fit in a healthy diet. It's about the amount and how often we eat different types of things, so we can have those foods. And like I said, I love French fries, but I'm not going to be very full and satisfied and energized if I just eat French fries for my dinner. I want to have some protein like chicken along with it, and some vegetables. I love broccoli, So making a more balanced meal is going to help our bodies feel really nourished and satisfied.
Speaker 6: My mind is blown here, Emily.
Speaker 5: I want to try.
Speaker 3: All the foods Now Louis, and it's an important thing to remember all foods fit. Casey, let's dive a little deeper. How did you become a nutritionist.
Speaker 1: I became a special type of nutritionists called a dietitian. Dietitians help keep people healthy with the foods that they eat. When I was about twenty years old, I had a lot of belly aches and the doctor didn't know why, and I decided to try changing the foods that I was eating, and I found out that it helped so much. I felt so much better, and that was the first time that I really realized that food can change how you feel. When you become a dietitian, you're able to work in hospitals and help people who are sick as well.
Speaker 5: That's cool.
Speaker 6: You're like a food doctor.
Speaker 1: One story that comes to mind that is really cool of how I help someone is that there's a little one year old boy. He was getting sick a lot, and his doctor realized that he wasn't growing like he should be to add more foods into his diet, foods like avocado, nuts, eggs, cheese, oil that you cook with, and he started growing and gaining weight again.
Speaker 2: And that just felt so rewarding to me.
Speaker 6: Oh that's so nice.
Speaker 2: I get to be like a food superhero.
Speaker 3: That's super inspiring. Casey, thank you so much for this super special interview. And with that we can jump into our game show. Let's learn what the food puzzle is all about.
Speaker 6: Today we're playing I Spy. I'll say I spy with my little eye and then describe very ummy food. Casey, your job is to guess what food it is, and I'll.
Speaker 4: Ask which cool nutrient puzzle piece it has.
Speaker 6: You're ready, Casey, I'm ready.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: Number one, I Spy with my little eye A heart shape that's sweet as a pie with green leaves and freckles too. Yummion streats and good for you?
Speaker 5: What am I?
Speaker 2: Sounds cute? Is it something that could fit in the palm of my hand?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 2: Is it a strawberry?
Speaker 6: It's a strawberry.
Speaker 3: And this strawberry has a little puzzle piece that lentils and popcorn also have.
Speaker 4: Can you guess what that is?
Speaker 1: Casey hmm, My gas would be a word called fiber. Fiber is a magical thing for your digestive system. It helps your body feel full and it also helps you poop.
Speaker 5: She said poop. Oh, okay, okay, number two.
Speaker 6: I spy with my little eye a swimmer with scales that shimmer and shine tastes this great grill or even fry?
Speaker 5: What am I?
Speaker 2: Is this something that lives in water?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 1: Okay, my gas is gonna be my favorite fish, Salmon.
Speaker 2: I'm going with salmon.
Speaker 6: Salmon is a fish, so salmon is right?
Speaker 5: Yay?
Speaker 2: Fish? Okay?
Speaker 3: And fish carries the same little puzzle piece as eggs, meat, nuts, grains, and beans.
Speaker 4: Do you know what that could be?
Speaker 2: This is a puzzle I think it could be protein.
Speaker 1: Protein is important for growing bodies, especially because it helps your muscles grow really strong.
Speaker 6: Third, and last, I spy. I spy with my little eye. Something that looks like a pillow but not soft. Oh my full of white grains, tiny and small. Boil them up and they're soft for all?
Speaker 5: What am I?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see. Does it start with an R?
Speaker 6: Yes? It does?
Speaker 2: I got it? Is it rice?
Speaker 4: It is rice?
Speaker 3: And rice shares something with corn and potatoes, fruits and milk.
Speaker 4: Can you tell us what that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They all have something in common.
Speaker 1: They're part of the group that's called carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are a big source of energy for our brains and our bodies too. But our brains really love carbohydrates. They basically just give our body energy.
Speaker 6: Casey, thanks so much for playing with us.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 6: Now I know what I'll have for dinner when I get home. Fish with popcorn and rice with strawberries.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a fun meal. And are you having broccoli with mac and cheese sometime soon?
Speaker 6: I will, and I'll add some spinach too.
Speaker 3: Ooh sounds yummy. Now what did you learn about nutritionists today, Louise I.
Speaker 6: Learned that nutritionists are food pros. They know exactly what foods can help us grow big and strong, and that if you want to have a good meal, you need to make it colorful and different.
Speaker 3: Thanks for dagging along on this episodisode of Growing up all about nutritionists, the food experts that make sure we eat healthy and balanced meals.
Speaker 4: Remember, little listener, dream.
Speaker 3: Big, and always stay curious. Luise, Are you ready for more adventure?
Speaker 5: Wait? There's more?
Speaker 3: Yep, there's loads more to explore on the world's number one kids learning app, Lingo Kids. It has tons of videos, games and podcasts just like this one, and every single one is fun and educational. Download the Lingo Kids app today for free.