Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's the final hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. We'll talk some football. Our good buddy, Albert Breer Monday morning quarterback will join us. He's ranked all the college quarterbacks who will be eligible for the draft, and it's time to start tanking for Caleb Williams oh Drake May. If you're the Arizona Cardinals and you got two first round picks.
Speaker 2: Take them both.
Speaker 1: Yes, we want to make sure that we don't screw this up. We're going to get both of those quarterbacks in the draft. Eight seven seven three DP Show email addressdpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show SA. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you. That's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done so. Say good morning to our radio affiliates those chatting on chat row Seaton. Update the poll results and what are we going to explore. In the final hour of Approke.
Speaker 3: Hour two, we had I'm most scared of encountering a bear, sharker alligator. Right now, fifty six percent of the audience saying a shark. Nobody wants to encounter a shark. Okay, that sounds terrible. Bear is coming in at second with a thirty seven percent. Not too many people scared alligator.
Speaker 1: I don't want to encounter any of them. And then you find out an alligator can run thirty miles an hour.
Speaker 3: But alligators, how many videos have you seen of people, you know, at a golf course or whatever and you're like, hey, there's an hour over there.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. I was at a golf resort, this is years ago, and there was an alligator and he was right outside of the pond there and one of the guys I'm with, he's like, how fast do you think that thing is? I said, he only has to be fast enough to catch the slowest of us. Let's not go over there. So he goes over there and next thing you know, that thing turned so quickly with its tail and nearly took out his feet like sweat. You know, it would have been the karate kid taking him his feet out.
Speaker 4: Yes, pump, I think these alligators are playing a long game for a couple of decades.
Speaker 2: They're setting this up.
Speaker 4: They're just hanging at golf course and like, look, he's not doing anything. I'll take a picture and maybe like two or three years from now, they're like, Okay, it's feeding time, it's go time.
Speaker 1: How long do they live?
Speaker 2: Alligators?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Checking or crocodiles. How long do bears live?
Speaker 3: Average lifespan?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How long are is a life span of a shark?
Speaker 2: Alligators? Thirty to fifty years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know they may go, oh, there's that stupid guy tried to do this. You know, I'm back in. You know, ninety two.
Speaker 3: Brown bears getting you solid twenty to thirty, Okay.
Speaker 1: What about sharks?
Speaker 3: Grizzlies can live up to forty four years?
Speaker 1: Oh, what the heck?
Speaker 3: Okay, unfair?
Speaker 2: Sharks anywhere from fifteen to thirty years.
Speaker 1: What's the whole question for the final hour? Sleeepers, creepers, you know what?
Speaker 5: Else?
Speaker 3: We also had to today's recency bias pole question, which sounds cooler? Slam dunk champion, home run derby champion that stills holding that solid seventy two to twenty eight. We're just down on the slam dunk contest.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I think it's more impressive to hit a home run than to have a dunk.
Speaker 3: Just say, just say I've hit home runs, I can't come close to dunking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me and you are home run guys in the room, so you know how it is. Yeah, Marvin, could you ever dunk?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: I could grab the room with both hands, but I never coordinate, like just the.
Speaker 1: Kind of but you know what you're missing? What's that bigger hands? That's no. No, But that's why he can. He can't dunk because he couldn't pawn the ball.
Speaker 7: That is a legit.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, that's all I'm just pointing out to find Yes, having been the only guy in the room who could dunk or hit a home run, you know.
Speaker 7: Oh, don't disrespect twelve year old Marvin tnj autobody.
Speaker 1: No, no, no home run and dunk those I did the combo.
Speaker 3: You could like your junior year in high school, probably accomplished both of those things.
Speaker 1: Yes I could. Yeah. Dan Wetzel, Yahoo's Ford's national columnists since two thousand and three, New York Times best selling author joins us on the program. You've been writing about the situation at Northwestern. What issues do you have with this story?
Speaker 8: I guess my biggest if you want to call it an issue, is we just don't really know the full scope of what happened. Northwestern did this seven month investigation. They get the whistleblower complaint last November. They hire an outside law firm. They spend about seven months on this interview fifty plus people, go through all the texts, emails, they're doing player surveys through the years. Sounds very comprehensive for what was going on in the culture of the locker room. And then as a private institution, they don't have to release this document, this investigation the way you would if you were a public school and this was a public document, so they really an executive summary that has zero details into what actually happened, and let alone kind of the context and the perspectives and things like that, and so you know, no one really knows what the situation was. They suspend, the president suspends Pat Fitzgerald on Friday, says okay, I've read, He's obviously read this whole thing, and says two week suspension. I thought that was very naive not to release the whole thing for everyone to see and get out in front of this story. And then the story comes out in the student newspaper and on ESPN that the original complaintant is telling his side of the story, which could be one percent accurate in all of that, But we don't have any of the other perspective of the other fifty plus people that shaped the original decision. And once the details of the complaint come out out, all of a sudden three days later, half of the cherild's fired.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 8: I think the rest of us are left to say, I don't truly know, we can assume the worst, we can assume this, or that, we don't really know what happened and why. On Friday? Was it good enough for West for I'm sorry for Northwestern to say you're suspended for two weeks and then on Monday you know you're fired, You're done, get out of here. That's a dramatic switch in three days when no real new information had come out.
Speaker 1: And that's where I started to go, Okay, let me look at the timeline. Here, usually Friday news dump. Here we are in July, and it almost felt like, hey, can we sneak this one by the goalie here and he's been suspended for two weeks. It felt like once we knew he was suspended for two weeks, then our curiosity was, well, wait a minute, what gets you suspended for two weeks in July and not maybe a couple of game aims or how serious is this because nothing changed from Friday to Monday except for Pat Fitzgerald got fired.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, that and and some of the details started coming out. And that's why I think Northwestern I'm not here to say Pat Fitzgerald should should or should not have his job or they acted in the Maybe they should have fired him on Friday and they made a mistake then and they corrected it on Monday. I don't know all. I'm just looking at it from afar. We don't know all the details. There is a big report, there is a thorough investigation, and they sat there and said, Okay, let's give him two weeks off in the middle of summer where nothing is happening at Northwestern. If you're going to suspend someone for two weeks, these are the two weeks.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 8: Literally, no impact on anything. There's barely any recruiting going on. Uh, you know, go to your lake house, come back in two weeks. We're going to implement this stuff. We will. We will root out the culture that's a problem. So they were all in agreement on Friday and then the details come out. What they sho should have done right or wrong, what if it led to this or not is released the entire report allow all of the context and perspective to come out. I'm not saying any again, the complaint could be one hundred accurate, and what is described is is troubling and ridiculous and all of those things. But many times of this stuff you want the full perspective. This was a court this is a this is a court case. It's not a criminal court case, it's not a civil court case. But it's in the court of public opinion. Why are we keeping our coach? Why are we firing our coach? What you don't do, if you're the school or a defense attorney, is ever just let the witness the complaint get up and tell his story and then say we have no questions, we have no opening statement, we have no rebuttal, we have no witnesses, nothing. We're just going to sit here. And that's what Northwestern kind of seated the narrative in the court of public opinion. And then when it started to shift, perhaps rightfully they can't, they all of a sudden change their mind and go to the durastic step of firing, So I thought the whole I don't know that the result is wrong. I just know the way they got to it is highly questionable and was botched. And so maybe again they should have fired him on Friday. Why did the president not fire him on Friday and then on Mondays just say oh, I'm just so troubled by this, this guy has to go. Instead of saying, look, you know, whatever justification they came up with on I assume it's he's been here seventeen years. He you know, we can stop. We can stop hazing very quickly. This isn't something that's like impossible to stop. We can you know, you can stop it right away. It'll never happen on the twenty twenty three team. Instead, it's just like he's got to go, so really awkward, clumsy effort on how they got to this. Maybe it's the right decision, maybe it's the wrong one. I just neither I nor pretty much anyone other the president of Northwestern has any idea about the full context of the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in me, if he's eleven in one last year, not one and eleven, he's not as vulnerable. It feels like also did coaches know about this. Assistant coaches, the new head coach, the interim head coach, players, seniors, you know, juniors. Were they culpable in this? You know? Is there sexual assault that's in here? Did they violate Northwestern's code of conduct? I mean, there's a lot to unravel here. Other than it felt like, hey, two weeks, let's move on, fire the coach, let's move on. It just feels like this is a ball of yarn, Dan, that is just going to keep on unraveling here and might get even uglier.
Speaker 8: Until you released the full report. It's going to keep dripping out. That was an extremely naive by Northwestern to assume to just say, hey guys, and look when you when you suspend someone like Pat Fitzgerald on a Friday in the summer, on the week of July fourth, it's a news dump to try to high the story, right, Yeah, it's such an obvious news dump that it becomes the story. Nobody is getting fooled, Like, wait, Pat Fitzgerald is getting suspended?
Speaker 5: What is going on here? Oh?
Speaker 1: We just we just don't worry.
Speaker 8: Uh, just calm down, Let everyone enjoy their weekend, cook some hamburgers, and we'll be fine. No, everyone's gonna go wait a minute, and and the naivete of thinking the complaintant, who is not bound by any confidentiality, is gonna just sit there and say, Okay, I'm good with this. I definitely will not talk to the media about what I so this this complainant saying I didn't get what I wanted out of this, so I'm gonna ramp it up and I'm gonna tell my story was not told in this executive summary. He just said there was some things and you know, we'll just move on. He's saying, hey, heck, no, I'm gonna tell my story. And good for him, is that right? What he went through, the story he told, and what he went through, he deserves to tell his story. So he goes out and tells it, and now all right, we gotta go yeah. And then you sit there and say, well, they won four games in two years. But then on the other side, they're trying to raise money for a new eight hundred million dollar football stadium, and Pat Fitzgerald is extremely popular and connected with the So how much at all of these things did that play in on Friday? We can't fire this guy. We got to build this stadium or was it now well, he wasn't winning anyway, nobody knows anything, and everyone's now curious. America loves a mystery, and Northwestern created a mystery on something that perhaps was a simple solution or perhaps not. But eventually, this, this report has to come out because perhaps there is context, perhaps there is other witnesses. Perhaps it gets worse.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't know what's in the report. Maybe it looks even worse, and you go, how the heck did you not fire him on Friday? Or maybe you read it, go eh, maybe you give the guy another chance. Northwestern, trying to hide by this, has done no good on a story that I agree is a yarn, a ball of yarn that's going to keep going.
Speaker 1: Good to talk to you is always Dan. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 8: Thanks Dan, talk to you.
Speaker 1: That's Dan Wetzel. Yeaho's sports national columnist and New York Times bestselling author.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the school paper played a role in this, in exposing this and going in and be willing to find out something that could be ugly, that could reflect poorly on your university. And not all journalists will do that. Sometimes, you know, the older you get you get friendlier with somebody, the coach or the athletic director, and you know, this is Northwestern, this isn't the SEC. Well, this is Northwestern, and they've struggled here the last couple of years. And I think going one and eleven made him very vulnerable. If you're eleven in one, not as vulnerable, even though you could be guilty of the same things. All Right, we'll get phone calls coming out. We'll talk some football with Albert Breer. He has ranked all of the college quarterbacks who are eligible for the draft, led by Caleb Williams. You know, we have this every year where we anoint a quarterback like that guy can't miss, and then they play one more year and then they suddenly can miss. You know, you can look at Matt Leiner. You could look at Christian Hackenberg. That was his freshman year, so he didn't have just one more year. Like if he was a freshman and he was eligible, they kept saying he'd be the number one overall pick Josh Rosen. You know these guys who maybe stay one more year, Like you get a glimpse of them and you're like, oh my god, that guy's unbelievable and then all of a sudden you go maybe not as unbelievable. And then all of a sudden, you know, like Matt Barkley, you're like, oh my god, that guy, Sam Darnold, that guy is gonna be great. And then no, you know, he's got kind of a loop in his delivery. There. This is what happens because now we get to pick. Now you get analyzed. Now you're under the microscope.
Speaker 3: Yeh seen, Cale William's getting high praise from people.
Speaker 1: Oh, crazy high praise, crazy praise, Yes, Marv.
Speaker 7: So Mark Sanchez did the right thing by leaving after the junior year.
Speaker 1: Probably so even though Pete Carroll was trying to throw himself in front of the door. Oh you know, maybe Mark wasn't ready, but in his mind he was ready and he was ready to get paid. What was he the fifth pick overall? So okay, I might not be ready, but I'm ready to get paid. Right. So we'll talk to Albert Breer about these quarterbacks and also Dalvin Cook kind of quiet, DeAndre Hopkins kind of quiet. And it feels like that might be training camp situations where you're waiting for somebody, like the Jets with Breeze Hall him coming back. I wondered about the Cowboys with Tony Pollard and how healthy he's going to be. Could you give them a little bit more time to get ready? But Dalvin Cook is going to cost you DeAndre Hopkins? Do you want it?
Speaker 5: Gosh?
Speaker 1: If I'm the Patriots, I signed both of them. Like this, it's such a faceless franchise. At least I can get a couple of guys who were proven. You know, there's name recognition, yes, Mark, Yeah.
Speaker 7: The Patriots, I think they have either Week two or three or Sunday Night Football. And when I saw the schedules, like, oh.
Speaker 1: Like in Foxboy, well did you actually say oh?
Speaker 7: I said em. I was like, I was like Giants, Cowboys Week one. I was like, Okay, let's go get up.
Speaker 1: Patriots and who.
Speaker 7: I don't even know. It didn't even matter, Like that's who it is. Let's take a break its Cardinals Patriots.
Speaker 1: No, it's not, it's not. Let's go We'll take a break back what Paul Eagles at Patriots. In the words of Jim Beheim, We're back after this. Simply save home security. They thought of everything. They have something called fast protect monitoring. If an intruder breaks into your home. Simply saves. Monitoring agents can actually see, speak to and maybe stop them by saying something to them through the camera warning them that they're being recorded police are on the way. It's a game changer in home security. The new camera is also the only indoor security camera that can trigger the alarm that instantly will stop the intruder with a built in siren and the advanced Motion Detection and Vision AI can sense the difference between potential intruders and pets. They also have this for smoke detector. How many times have you been cooking and all of a sudden you go, You're like, oh no, get out, get me in the news? Fair right, let me fan This sing Simply Safe professional monitoring costing under a dollar a day, and right now DP Show listeners get a special twenty percent off any simply Safe system when you sign up for fast Protect monitoring. It's a big offer for a limited time. Simply Safe Dan dot com, no simp, no safe like simply safe. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock App. It is never too early to talk about next year's draft. Albert Breer, senior NFL reporter, lead content strategist for the Monday Morning Quarterback. He is the Monday Morning Quarterback and he's look at the paperwork here. I got on all of these quarterbacks here. This is a deep dive. I mean he even went to Evan Leary at Kentucky and Washington State's Cameron Ward, Dion sanders Son. There's a lot of quarterbacks, but we start with Caleb Williams at the top. Are there any negatives with Caleb Williams.
Speaker 5: It's hard to find one.
Speaker 8: Dan.
Speaker 9: I mean, we're really at the point now where it feels like this is encroaching on that Andrew Luck Trevor Lawrence category. And I you know, I've been covering the league for almost twenty years, and I think over my lifetime there are four guys that are sort of in a different category from a prospects standpoint at that position.
Speaker 5: John Elway, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 9: That doesn't again, doesn't mean anything as far as what they became in the league, but just how they were seen coming out of college, and I think the lack of flaws with Caleb Williams, and of course we're going to pick him apart and he's gonna have all the pressure on him this fall because of that. But just as far as where they are, you know, going into their last year and then where they should be coming out of their last year in college, that's where Caleb Williams is and Drakes really well thought of too.
Speaker 5: But everybody I've talked to said, there is a gap.
Speaker 9: You know, it's Caleb Williams one gap, Drake May two gap, and then the pack. And so Caleb Williams is seen that way. Is the sort of generational prospect that Trevor Lawrence were Andrew Luckwer over the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: You are joining us your own vacation, and we appreciate you joining us. But I'm looking in the background there you got the water, yeah, and there's some there's some kids. There are those your kids.
Speaker 5: So my daughter's right here.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, I just there I was.
Speaker 9: And my my my I think my uh, I think my my son's trying to make air by driving as fast as he can buy the shot on his bike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just saw him. I saw zoom zoom by you there. But that picture is real. The water is real behind you there.
Speaker 5: Water is real. Yeah, the boats are real, all of it.
Speaker 9: Todd actually was Todd took me up here and we actually had a less scenic shot. And then I said, well, hey how about this? So this was this was actually his choice.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 9: I like so you know, I'm not test pounding or anything else, because for everybody who's out there thinking I'm bragging, my summer is officially over in about a week. So I'm just getting what i can get while I can get it.
Speaker 1: Give me some other names that we should keep an eye on this upcoming season that yes, Caleb Williams is one, Drake may would be two, and then who's going to be that third quarterback off the board, sir?
Speaker 9: Like one name of that kind of kept coming up when I talked to more people with Bonnicks at Oregon, who you know, I think was seen as a very flawed player playing in a flawed offense at Auburn, and I think he opened a lot of eyes with what did last year at Oregon and being able to do that again, even though he lost his offensive coordinator, and even though he lost some offensive linemen in a sixth year in college, this year I think could get him in the first round discussion. I think he's a little closer to that than some.
Speaker 5: Of the other guys.
Speaker 9: Now, there are guys that I think have more talent than him, and two of them will be Quinn you Rs at Texas and JJ McCarthy at Michigan. Where those guys have talent to potentially go in the first round, the question is are they going to develop like they need to develop, like they.
Speaker 5: Aren't finished products yet.
Speaker 9: You know, when I Trent Dilfer, who you know like and as you know, sees all these kids from high school on up and has seen a lot of these guys through the Elite eleven programs since they were teenagers, said, Quinn Ewers has like a Jeff George arm Right, And I think when you watch Texas on Saturdays you can see that. So, but yours is still pretty raw. So playing another year for Steve Sarkesey into Texas, does he get there where he's the third quarterback off the board. JJ McCarthy's another one where he was up and down at points last year, but he won his first twelve starts at Michigan, so is he in the conversation. So I think those three names, Nix, McCarthy yours would be in the conversation. Jordan Travis at Florida State's another one. And I think this was so intriguing about this year's classes. You've got a clear one, you got a clear too, and then you've got like this clump of players where there's real talent and they're going to kind of.
Speaker 5: Duke it out for draft position over the course of the next six months.
Speaker 1: I talked to a talent evaluator, this is after the end of last season, and he said he would lump in Michael Pennix and Washington and put him in there of And I think he's been around maybe five years. He transferred from Indiana.
Speaker 9: But that's the COVID thing, though, Like that's that's what happens. Jordon Travis is well, I said, I think Nix is five years, but Jordan Travis is six years, right, and Penix is six years. And that's like the COVID effect is the guy's got the extra years of eligibility. And Pennix is interesting because I think he's got some physical ability, but it's sort of like Nix a little bit and that like a lot of people didn't like his Indiana tape and then he went to play for Calen de Boor at Washington, and I think there's that thing, you know, like that that you hear sometimes.
Speaker 5: Is it the offense or is it the quarterback?
Speaker 9: And Bowe Nix is gonna have the opportunity to answer those questions this year at Oregon because he's losing his offensive coordinator who went to Arizona State to be the head coach. You know, the questions with Penix that think it's going to be a little bit more of can you dispel all the questions that he had hanging over him.
Speaker 5: At Indiana playing in a little bit.
Speaker 9: Of a different type of offense at Washington, But there is some talent there, and yeah, he'd be another one I should have thrown him in the mix.
Speaker 5: But that sort of tells you how to pick the group.
Speaker 9: Is too, is that there's a half dozen guys who I think have an opportunity to maybe play the play their way into the first round discussion, or at the very least into like the top one hundred discussion.
Speaker 1: What about Deon Sanders' son.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so he's interesting because you know, he was a dominant player at Jackson State, and now what we're seeing more with these guys is they have the opportunity to transfer up and so you know, now you're gonna get see him in the PAC twelve playing at Colorado.
Speaker 5: And you know, the.
Speaker 9: Word that came up with Dion's kid was the same word that came up with Drake May, which was smooth, like he looks really natural playing the position, and now playing against better competition at Colorado, we should get a look at how he looks when everybody else has got the same level of ability that he does. Because remember, he was a guy who coming out of high school, had the opportunity to play at that level, but wanted to play for his dad. And so we haven't seen him in the context of like the FBS, like Power five level, and now we're going to get the chance to see him do that at Colorado and we're gonna and the cool thing about it is we're gonna get to see him do it at Colorado where a lot of games they're going to be at a talent deficit. So NFL evaluators are going to get the chance to look at him and see what it's like when he doesn't have a talent of vantage going against the other team.
Speaker 1: Albert Brier joining us from vacation. He's the Monday morning quarterback NFL Free Agent updates anything.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I assume we're talking about the big two, which we've all been obsessing over over the last month, because there's not a whole lot else to talk about. But DeAndre Hopkins and Dalvin Cook would be the two.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: I think both their situations are somewhat similar and that the money hasn't built what they wanted it to be. And I think the hope is as you get closer to a training camp, maybe a contender like looks at its rooster in their pre camp meetings and says, you know, we need to add a body there, or somebody has an injury earlier in camp and they decide that they need to act with emergency and up the anny a little bit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: Obviously, with hop Like, the teams have been Tennessee and New England, and those teams haven't been willing to go to the financial point that he wants somebody to go to to get him. Now, I think he'd be willing to go at a little bit of a discount to a Buffalo or a Kansas City. But that ship sort of sailed going back to the draft when you know, the Odell Beckham deal got done, and that's sort of poisoned the well and the negotiations with Hopkins with those two teams. So like, for example, Kansas City is in a situation where they gave the money they were going to give to Hopkins to Donovan Smith, their new left tackle, and so they decided we still need a body at receiver. They draft Roshet Rice in a second round out of SMU. So like coming out of spring, now do they look at it when they have their meetings before camp and say, we don't want to rely as much on Rice as a rookie, so we need to to go and get a DeAndre Hopkins. And know, by the way, if we get a deal done with Chris Jones, that's going to free up some cap space for us to do it. So I think the Chiefs would be a contender to get back in there. Buffalo, I think just because the Stefan dig situation, I think they'd be a no. They were cognizant of that even before everything kind of blew up in June, that like they really had to be cognizant of where the ball was going and that Steph needed a certain amount of touches and Hopkins is sort of a volume player. So I don't think that they'll get back in it, you know. And then with Cook, I still think the team to watch with them as the JIT with him is the Jets, you know, Like I know he's got an interest in them, and you know, looking at where they are from a roster standpoint, you know, bringing bringing Breese Paul back from injury and having the opportunity to be a little flexible as far as giving him his time to come back from his acl and maybe getting him in a better place in October rather than rushing him back in September. And still you know, doing your best to act with urgency to win the games in September because you are in a win now situation. With Aaron Rodgers would make all the sense in the world. So I think Jets would be the team to watch with Cook. You know, we'll see what happens if we get closer to the camp with both those guys. If more contenders throw their hats in the ring. And I know that was a complicated answer. I'm trying to recap the last three months with both those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I agree with you on Dalvin Cook with the Jets, And I thought about Dalvin Cook with the Cowboys with Tony Pollard coming back from a broken leg, that you know, the Jets are in an all you know, a win now mode. The Cowboys are always in that, and I just think, you know, the contributions of both of those running backs, that you give them a little extra time instead of kind of expediting their rehab process and bringing those guys in. But I don't know what happens when they get healthy and now you got your sharing you know, touches and how that works there. But it feels like delavant.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I mean, Dan, I think with the Jets is like every game counts now, you know what I mean. Like, not that it doesn't for other teams, but like if you're the Jets, it's like, no, we're in it for now, Like we're in for now. We don't know what twenty twenty four is going to look like, what twenty twenty five is gonna look like you know, And I think if you talk to like Buccaneers people, they would tell you we were all in for every game and it was the right thing to do because we competed for championships for three years and we won one. Right, And that's sort of where the Jets are right now. So you can't throw away week one or week two to be judicious with a single player. So if you want to still be judicious with that single player, how do you make it work?
Speaker 5: Well, you get somebody to replace him for those two weeks, you know.
Speaker 9: And so I think that's why that sets up as sort of a perfect situation if they could work the numbers out. And again, like both these guys, money is a factor with both of them. Like, those guys aren't going to go take the league minimum to chase a ring.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, and you end your reign as the worst dad ever as you're doing the live report while your kids are riding your bikes near the beach there. I wondered about this with Greg Popovich. He signed a five year deal. After they get Victor run Bayama and San Antonio. I'm wondering if there's a quarterback that will keep Belichick. Let's say he got Drake me or Caleb Williams. Is there a player that would keep him in that job almost energize him, sort of the way Victor Won Bayama has done. Greg Popovic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's an interesting thing.
Speaker 9: I don't know, because I do think that the Shula records sort of looming over all this. And I believe he's nineteen wins away, which puts you like borderline, you know, like based on the team they have it like it's a toss up does he make it there by the end of twenty twenty four, And like everybody I know that knows Bill really well says like his juice for the job hasn't gone anywhere, Like he still loves it and he's found a way to be ance where you know, like I think he can still do the things that a lot of seventy year olds, seventy five year olds want to do in retirement and still be a coach, you know what I mean, and still do all of that, and so you know, I think wins and losses are a part of it. And yeah, I mean I think if a certain level of quarterback came along, or if Mac Jones somehow got to that level. Now, I don't think most people would tell you that's in the cards, but if like he had another person at that another quarterback at that level, I think it would certainly be something that would be tempting for him to stay, because I do think that like he's gotten to a point and I'm sure it's the same with pop where like all the things you want to do, you know, in your golden years, like in your seventies and your eighties, like those guys have sort of figured out how to do that and do the job, you know, And so I think that that's like a little thing that like has made it so to go, made it so he could go from the guy who said you won't find me out there, like Marv Levy seventies coaching, to now being that guy, you know what I mean, Like I think this would allowed him to do it. And so yeah, I mean I think if he looks at it and says, I could win two championships in five years, but the quarterback that I have, I certainly think that that would be something that might that could entice him to stay. And like on paper, at least looking forward at it now, like Caleb Williams and Drake may would be that guy. Now the problem is you're gonna need to be absolutely awful.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So I don't if they're that bad, it's Robert Kraft keep him around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I wondered about that, go back to being a great dad there on vacation. I hope you can find your children.
Speaker 9: And I think I think my I think my attention for son just like skidded by.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw him, But I got to find your daughter. I'm looking for her in the picture there.
Speaker 5: Well, there are three of them. I think our middle may have.
Speaker 1: So thank you. Albert.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks Dan.
Speaker 1: That's Albert Breer, senior NFL report order and he is the Monday morning quarterback. I saw these kids going by. I didn't know which ones were his. And then there was one little boy on a bike, and I go, that might be his son. Then there was a little girl who was kind of wandering around aimlessly. I hope his wife was there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, I thought it was just some random locals that wanted some more inside information on the NFL season.
Speaker 2: Just wandered to, Hey, there's Albert Breer. Let's see what the vikings are doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, last call for phone calls. What we learned, what in store tomorrow, We're going to try to accomplish all of that next. If I said you could find the hottest rookies, the biggest superstars, the old time greats, and you would have the official products from the NFL or the NBA, FIFA World Cup, UFC collegiate sports, you'd be interested right well. Panine America and we talk about him every day, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, and we invite you to check out their brand new NFT platform NFT dot Panineamerica dot ed one of the kind digital cards, and keep an eye out for the Panini NFT platform new features coming next month. The only platform where you can win physical versions of your NFTs Panini NFT trading cards, giving you the opportunity to pull autograph cards, member Billia cards, rare inserts, even one of one NFTs from every pack. Keep an eye out for the NFL and NBA Prison packs and more of your favorite Panini brands. Now is NFTs. Visit NFT dot Paniniamerica dot net. That's NFT dot Paniniamerica dot net. The official trading cards and NFTs of The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Benmaller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of the Benmahlor Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR.
Speaker 1: Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world will.
Speaker 10: We chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Mather on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Last call for phone calls? What we learned? What's in store tomorrow? Dan Patrick Show? Let me see get a couple of phone calls in here Kyle and Ohio, Hi Kyle, thanks for holding What do you have for me?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 11: Six? First of all, I appreciate you guys taking the call. I heard you mentioned something earlier regarding hitting a home run. It's I was watching the Marlins broadcast and the color commentator was saying, the common misconception is, you know, the faster the ball comes in, the easier it is to hit out. But on a fastball, the spins actually moving backwards from the pitcher. So when you're throwing off speed like a slider or something, it's actually down spin or forward spin. So when ball or the barrel hits the ball, you're actually going with the spin. So typically the longest home runs are going to see her off speed pitches and sliders and move, you know, things like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about that. When I saw Randy Johnson give up a home run to Mark Maguire, I don't think that was on a breaking ball. When he hit a bomb one of the that was like five hundred feet. I think Unit talked about that when he was on the show with us. I remember Rob Dibble through to who hit the four home runs?
Speaker 2: Mark Quinton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hard hitting Mark Whitton, and Dibble said, I just he had hit three home runs, and Rob said, I just threw as hard as I could, and if he was going to hit it out, then he was going to get four home runs in the game. And he hit it out. Yeah, you do get these hanging you know, breaking balls sliders where I watched Aaron Judge last year with a lot of those home runs they were just on breaking balls that just hung in the strike zone, and these guys aren't going to miss those. It's I never understood a breaking ball that was down the middle of the play. I just don't understand that logic that I'm gonna throw a breaking ball now unless they're missing. But any you know, breaking ball, I would want inside or outside, or I'd want it low, but not in the middle of the plate because if they guess right, they're going to hit it out. Fastball, all right, that's down the middle of the plate, and if you hit it, you're a better man than me. But breaking ball, man, it just feels like they're serving those things up meat balls there. Let's see Josh in Montana, Hi, Josh, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: How you doing?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 6: I live in Montana, so I uh, Saturday, I was floating the same the big hole, just like you were. But you were probably gone by then. But the big problem out there. There's this huge problem with the wolves. We had to move all of the cattle that we usually led grays up in the up in the mountains that we have. We had to move them back down to the ranch because the wolves were wrecking havoc and getting to the cattle. There's a huge problem with wolves up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I said that. The woman who drove me to the airport when I was leaving, she's like, yeah, the wolves, you know, they just they encroached on your house. They went and got the dog off the front porch.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See that's the real question though, Dan, Are they encroaching on our houses or are we encroaching on there? Okay, okay, yes, said it? All right, Yes, said it?
Speaker 5: Okay, maybe you could try dancing with them to leave.
Speaker 1: You Okay, dancing with wolves not sure.
Speaker 2: We all have experience with cougar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I ran into some cougars over the weekend. No, it wasn't, no, No, he got I was at a place in Orlando, outside of Orlando, and I'm having a drink with a friend and waiter comes out and uh he recognized me, and he goes, you're married. I go yeah. He goes, well, if you're not, you know, there's women who are coming off like their third hip replacement in there and they would love to go out with you. And I go, what makes you think I want a woman who's had three hip replacements?
Speaker 2: If you have to get away, they're not gonna catch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they will not catch me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, depends on why the hips need to be replaced.
Speaker 1: I guess, oh whoa whoah family show. And then I you know, the waiter, I said, uh, I said, wow, it's a wide range of music that guy's playing. He goes, wait till he he plays Prince and you're gonna hear him wail and I go okay, And then all of a sudden he played like Purple Rain and the waiters stuck his head out and he was like, told you perpol ray, I'm going all right? But uh yeah, the cougars were out, you know, yes, yes, And.
Speaker 5: What do you say if you score with one of those ladies?
Speaker 1: Hip hip? All right, Hey, you swear, you swear you're not on drugs? To okay, you shouldn't be. I need that. You need to have an excuse for your va just those How about this Dan? In sports history.
Speaker 4: Oh you don't heard this before Dan nineteen fourteen, Babe Ruth debuted in the major leagues with the Boston Red Sox. Nineteen eighty five, Nolan Ryan and the Astros became the first major league pitcher to earn four thousand strikeouts in a career. And an eighty seven, Bo Jackson signed a contract to play football for the La Raiders for five years.
Speaker 2: He was still under contract with the Casey Royals.
Speaker 1: Nolan Ryan strunck out Danny Heap for his four thousand strikeout. You know that movie char It's a fire. You know that. What's the name of the uh jealous ben Jelis. Yeah. Eric Liddell won the gold medal in Paris and he withdrew from the one hundred meter dash, his best event because one of the heats in the race would be held on Sunday, and that was the basis for the movie Chariots of Fire, where everybody ran in slow motion.
Speaker 2: It's funny because it's sprinting movie.
Speaker 1: I know it'd be slow motion. Okay, what happened first? Baywatch slow motion or Chariots of Fire feels like Chariots of Fire. Definitely Charots before Pam Anderson. But who looked better running the beach in slow motion? Well, David Hauselhoff, of course.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they considered putting Pamela Anderson in Chariots of Art, that would have a better movie.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow. Bo Jackson first played appearance in the All Star game Boom on this day, nineteen eighty nine. Hit it off, Rick Ruschell, I believe, and he was named the MVP. Let's see anything else that I find results of the pole question.
Speaker 3: Seaton had some bangers today, Dan, not really, that's part our most I'm most scared of encountering most people still a shark. I think it's the water part.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think people are generally more uncomfortable in water than they are on land. That's why sharks are winning.
Speaker 1: But if there were land sharks, only a dolphin man, would you be worried about that shark? You know? Somebody told me that rattlesnakes are teaching themselves to not rattle, so then they don't get you don't hear them long game. Yeah, somebody said that, like rattlesnakes are teaching themselves.
Speaker 4: If sharks teach themselves how to survive on land, I know, that's what That's.
Speaker 1: What made me think if these sharks ever realized, hey, I can kind of get on land.
Speaker 2: If you go to a king and there's a shark in there, Yes, Tod.
Speaker 7: That is extremely frightening that an animal could teach itself to like win, to be quiet and noise.
Speaker 8: Would you rather be attacked by a silent animal.
Speaker 1: Or you teachers? If a rat, I'd be able to shut myself up.
Speaker 5: I see what you're doing.
Speaker 1: What did you learn today, Todd?
Speaker 5: If you see a bear, do not lie down a play dead. That may be an invitation for it to start eating your fake dead carcass.
Speaker 3: All right, seat O'Connor, Todd and Red Bull is not a good combination.
Speaker 1: And if that's in fact that's happened, don't know why I tried that.
Speaker 7: Marvin Alberber, Father of the Year and worst Father of the Year.
Speaker 2: Pauline Todd is Kidney Stone.
Speaker 1: The hottest Rookie's biggest superstar is the all time great. So only one place to collect them all is Panini Trading Cards, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show for instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, and more. Start a continue collection at Panini America dot NEM. Thanks for joining us. One of my heroes, Johnny bench Show on the program tomorrow