Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbo.
Speaker 2: I'm after me. I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for dake Ado State?
Speaker 1: Is that? Whoo?
Speaker 2: Whoo?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tie welcome back to the solid verb Boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always, but not from New York City. Dan Rubinstein, where are you, sir? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I am on the West Coast. I'm in Lake Tahoe for work. I'm out here for the American Century Championship. He is a celebrity Welf tournament. What now?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: The American Century Championships? You remember it's right after the what the MLB All Star Game we're recording in? The All Star Game is tonight. Typically this is the time of year where no sports are happening, specifically because baseball is in its All Star breaks, so nothing's going on. So there's a bunch of athletes and actors and stuff like that. I think Ray Romano is here justin Timberlake. I'm trying to think of notable football Jerry Rice is yeah, okay, Steph Curry, fun people. So I'm going to be doing fun golf things, which I don't know that much about golf.
Speaker 1: Now, hold on, hold on, put Yeah, for anyone who's listened to this show for any extended period of time, they're pretty aware of your adversarial relationship with the fine sport emphasized sport of golf. Will you actually be out there playing amongst the celebrities and stars.
Speaker 2: No, I will not be taking part in any of the golf on the course. I'll be doing driving rain stuff. So maybe I'll take a few cracks at the uh what is it the white ball?
Speaker 1: The white ball? Yeah? I demand since you've been doing some Instagram story stuff for us. By the way, follow us on Instagram. We're doing stories now. Yeah, I will get in on the fun, I promise you. But in the meantime, while you're out there, I demand that we at least get some sort of video evidence of your golf swing.
Speaker 2: Oh. I can play golf.
Speaker 1: I know you can play, but we'd like to see it as interact. I can do that third part. Please take a video and post it on the Instagram story.
Speaker 2: Do you know who I think is out here? Ty? I believe I saw his name on the list. Doesn't mean for sure he's going to be here. Sometimes things can come up. Brian Kelly, No, great, believe Brian Piot about here. I'm going to do my very best to get him on the solid verbal Instagram story account. Do it. That's what I'm going to try to do. Follow solid verbal sounds just like it is solid verbal.
Speaker 1: So you're at Lake Tahoe. Yeah, the scenery here is decidedly different. They're actually doing some utility work outside the studio window here, and there's a jackhammer that's been going for about twelve straight hours.
Speaker 2: I'd take it so right now.
Speaker 1: What I've got is a series of blankets draped over my window in hopes of maybe deadening the sound. It looks like I've configured a kill room.
Speaker 2: Dan, I've been hearing Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars and Lana del Rey at a very loud volume at the pool outside. So I would still take yours also, Ty, I realize something this is unrelated, but I want you to do your best to accommodate the people that are listening to the show at one and a half speed, okay or two time speed? Do you have a preference? How fast do you listen to your podcasts.
Speaker 1: I usually go about one point twenty five on my overcast player.
Speaker 2: Here's what I want from you. I want you to tell people where they can find the solid verbal online, just whether it's Twitter or Facebook or Instagram. But I want you to slow down your cadence because I do not want people just speeding past.
Speaker 1: You can find the solid verbal on Twitter at solid verbal, at Facebook dot com slash solid verbal. You can also subscribe to our newsletter newsletter my going to solidverbal dot com. I can't do this any longer, Dan, I'm dying here now.
Speaker 2: I know. I just listen. We're forcing people in. Screw you, Overcast.
Speaker 1: We are. We are getting a ton of new sign ups on our newsletter, mainly because we've promised you that if you sign up, we'll give you information about shirts and take it to the live show, which you and I are about to firm up, and we'll probably be announcing, I would say within the next seven to ten days. There's also a subreddit now up and running. I had a chance to visit it. Peter, one of the mods I believe as their own, is doing some cool stuff, so check that out. I'm excited to have a community that ourverbawlers can go to and you know, secure us behind our backs. I'm sure they'll enjoy that as well. Yep, what are we doing tonight? Dan, you're out in Tahoe. I'm back here in eastern Pennsylvania. Typically in a situation like this, we'll just punt on the show. We'll say, now, we're not going to do it this week, too difficult. Correct, we have figured out the logistics of how we're going to do this show, and we're going back to the well, putting a little bit of a different spin on a concept we trotted out for the first time last summer. And you know, we could sort of call it, let's make a deal if we want. In reality, it's kind of not that we're gonna do some heads up matchups. We're going to pose some propositions to each other, and not in the way you'd think. These are entirely college football, I promise, And we're going to talk through some situations we could see coming down the pike here in the twenty seventeen college football season. Correct, and we're going to pick which side of things you and I would feel more comfortable with.
Speaker 2: This is true, and I don't think we're always going to come down on the same side. I don't think we're always going to agree. But that's okay, Ty. It's about competing. I have Yogi Roth in the back of my head. It's about competing. It's about finding who you are, and it's about moving forward. And you know what, Ty, if this show is a show in which we start to butt heads and we start to go at each other, I want you to know in advance that I have contacted a foreign entity and have conducted a bit of opposition. Right, all right, just watch yourself Tie.
Speaker 1: First topic, we have a heads up matchup, Dan, which side of the equation do you fall on? Siday, We've got the total number of Oklahoma Sooners wins in twenty seventeen. On side B, we have the number of Big Twelve coaches returning for the twenty eighteen season. So this is a good one. I like this one. The Vegas over under currently for Oklahoma football wins sits at exactly ten. In this case, if Oklahoma wins all ten games, obviously they would at worst be a push. In the situation there's only ten teams in the Big Twelve. I don't think Oklahoma's gonna win ten games this year, and I like more or less, I'll give them like nine wins, right, that's not a bad year at all. But ten wins new coach, some turnover just seems like a tall order at this point. Again, snap judgments. We haven't done any deep dive of any of these teams, but ten wins for me new situation feels like a bit of a stretch. So with that in mind, if I'm saying nine wins for Oklahoma, we'd have to retain all ten coaches in the Big Twelve in order for the Big twelve side of this to win. So I think I'm going to go Oklahoma wins over Big twelve coaches returning for twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: So you're in the camp of there will be eight or fewer coaches returning.
Speaker 1: I am, and I went through what I counted which ones I thought were the most vulnerable. I don't think Kansas is in any danger of losing their head football coach David Beattie because he actually did a half theas in job last year.
Speaker 2: Could regrets, but yes he did.
Speaker 1: Matt Ruhle's not going anywhere at Baylor. He just got there. Matt Campbell not going anywhere. At Iowa State, he did a pretty good job La year. Lincoln Riley another situation just kind of got there. Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, Tom Herman, Dana Holgerson. I'll even throw into that camp. These are guys that, provided the bottom doesn't fall out, in many cases, they just got there. In many cases they've been there for a while and have done some good stuff. You know, Holgerson's always kind of on the fence, but I still feel pretty good about his situation. West Virginia should have a good year. The ones that jump out at me, the obvious ones Cliff Kingsbury. Cliff Kingsbury needs to turn some things around. I think they've got a fascination with him in Lubbock that he wouldn't be an easy guy to get rid of. But the on field results need to be there in twenty seventeen more so than they have in the past. I'm also very interested to see what happens with Bill Snyder, and not because I think Kansas State is gonna have a bad year, but at some point the guy's got to retire, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And coming off of an off season with a pretty serious illness, it doesn't seem like he is much like longer for Manhattan.
Speaker 1: So again, if I'm picking between the two, I think Oklahoma has more. The smart money would be on I think nine wins over let's say eight and a half is kind of how I feel about returning coaches in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's correct. I am going to go with Oklahoma wins as well, but I think more comfortably than you have it, because I think Oklahoma will win at least ten games. The Ohio State game on the road early is much more than tricky. They go to Oklahoma State, so bedlam is earlier on in November. They go to Kansas, they go to Kansas State, they go to Baylors So not the most difficult stretch other than Ohio State on the road in Oklahoma State, Kansas State. It's a tough schedule. I'm going to say, by the way, though, before we move on, that there will be seven coaches.
Speaker 1: Oh back, so he're not eight. Who do you have as departing the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Some sort of combination of Dana Holgerson, Gary Patterson. I have the Bill Snyder, I have the Cliff Kingsbery. I think there's going to be a promotion. I don't know if it's Gary Patterson. I don't know if it's whole. I don't know if it's even David Baty if he has another really good year and proves that he can salvage something and has earned an even bigger job. But I think there's going to be even more turnover as the Big twelve becomes a less and less desirable place to coach.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so like ten to seven, eleven to seven kind of thing. Next topic, Dan, here we go. I'm excited about this one. I'm excited. I think we're going to get some interesting feedback on this one. Minnesota wins in twenty seventeen, the ultimate wild card. Now with an ultimate wild card as their head coach in PJ. Fleck, they're Vegas over under for wins is seven and a half versus total wins by the Iowa Hawk guys in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: They're Vegas total at least again very early mid July, we're talking seven wins, so two comparable teams. If you look at the Bill Connolly previews for both of these schools, he sort of weighs in that Minnesota is just that they're a wild card. He could see them finishing anywhere between three and nine and nine and three. And on the Iowa side, it's kind of tough to tell whether they go up, whether they go down. A typical Iowa team, They've got a solid defensive core coming back, but there are questions on office. Our passing game was horrible a year ago. They need to try and turn that around if they want to progress things forward. So Minnesota versus Iowa, Dan new coach, old coach, A lot of excitement on one side, steady as she goes on the other, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, to take a step back, I commend you, and I don't even know if you do this intentionally, but this is the matchup that gives out the greatest trophy in college football. Floyd Rosedale, that's right by far. It's just a pig on a stand. It's great, and it is that that is life. I don't know what that means, but that is life. So here's where I come down. I really like the potential of PJ. Fleck and his staff at Minnesota and going a totally new direction because we know year over year, you know it was it was a similar system moving from coach to coach to coach to coach for a little bit. And I think right now, given the fresh blood, the new blood, I'm being very sort of violent talking about pig blood. I don't know, whatever the case may be. I am going with Minnesota for one reason and one reason only. Their schedule is way better.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: I has got a brutal schedule. Minnesota might just be Okay, they might. I think they're going to be pretty good in twenty seventeen, but all things point to them perhaps starting at either four and one or five and zero, which is a nice little base to have for the season. TI. We don't know anything about Michigan State. We know Illinois is going to be bad. They're road games in the second half of the year at Iowa tough, at Michigan very tough. At Northwestern decently tough as well. You notice how I didn't say Ohio State or Penn State anywhere. Yeah, talking about their schedule. So I think Minnesota can do what they do best, and that's like a quiet eight and four, nine to three type of season, whereas with Iowa's schedule being less than ideal, starting with a very tough group of five team in Wyoming going to Iowa State and Alasico getting Penn State pretty early on traveling to Michigan State. We don't know Wisconsin on the road, Nebraska on the road two out of three weeks to finish the season. It's a tough year for Iowa scheduling wise. With a new offensive coordinator, it's going to be a relatively similar offense. But schedule alone, I'm taking Minnesota to take home not just the Floyda Rosedale, but also this competition I go. I think they go above seven and a half, and Iowa I'm not so sure.
Speaker 1: Iowa's schedule is decidedly more difficult than Minnesota. The thing that both schedules share is that the back half of the schedule for both is somewhat loaded, something of a murderer's row, And in both cases, I would venture a guess that a game earlier ish in the season for both against Michigan State is sort of going to be the bell weather. As I will get Minnesota's schedule, I can very easily see a win over Buffalo and Oregon State and Middle Tennessee and Maryland and Purdue even throw Illinois in there. Why not Michigan State. I don't know what to expect that at Michigan State. Michigan State's kind of in a weird rebuild for the second year in a row. And then after that you go to Iowa to Michigan home against Nebraska to Northwestern, which is a weird place to play, and then close out the year against Wisconsin. You could craft a scenario or Minnesota goes zero to five in its final five games. I still think I feel better about them than I do Iowa. But Iowa has fooled me before, so I don't think as a talking to your kids about Iowa kind of year. But it wouldn't be beyond them at all to just win with a solid running game and a pretty good defense.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm interested in, time, and this is going to sound a little bit strange. I'm interested in the Hideo Nomo factory off of these teams. Do you remember Hydeo Nomo?
Speaker 1: How could I ever forget what.
Speaker 2: Was unique about Hideo Nomo's game? His wind up, crazy wind up, sure, and early on in his career, hitters just couldn't figure it out. And there was just the thing like, well, Baseball's going to catch up to him, baseball is going to catch up to him. It's just so new and so weird and different that everybody just sort of struggled with that. I think that factor from Minnesota with a new staff, new offense, new defense, familiar faces obviously, but new schemes, new attitude, whatever, and coming off of a very strange back half of the year, given everything that happened off the field, you know, it's a fresh start for the Gophers. I think the Hitdeo Nomo factor for Minnesota is higher, although I think it still exists with Iowa because the new offense. But I see Iowa even with returning star power in the backfield. I think you and I both love Akrom Wadley. Yeah, yeah, I think the Hideo Nomo factor favors Minnesota. So I'm going with the Gulf.
Speaker 1: We're chock full of baseball analogies as it relates to the big time.
Speaker 2: I loved Hideo Nomo. I loved Well.
Speaker 1: You were a Dodgers fan too, you still are, Yeah, so I could certainly see why he'd be a big deal. Who wasn't a Hideo Nomo fan?
Speaker 2: Absolutely well. I mean, you were a Yankees fan and you had you had a bunch of Japanese imports. Maybe that played a little bit an unorthodox way.
Speaker 1: Hideo Nomo was no Hideki rob Who mind you, but he was still pretty good and exciting to watch. But we've used the Hideo Nomo factor in the Big Ten West. We've also compared playing in Evanston to trying to hit a knuckleballer at some point in our past. So Big Ten West should be an interesting year. I think it overall improves. I am gonna go in Minnesota here over Iowa?
Speaker 2: Who would you say? And I'm totally putting you on the spot. Here has the biggest, the most robust and dynamic Hideo Nomo fan situation going into the season. Is it Oklahoma with a new emergent not emergency but last minute coaching change? Is it's who is it? I mean Alabama new offense and replacing a bunch of assistants. I think the clumbson quarterback? You know, I mean the easy answer is probably Navy football. You could use that one every year.
Speaker 1: The problem is that Navy football doesn't have quite the same Hedeonomo factor because they've been doing it successfully yeah, for a number of years. So it's definitely not a flash in the pan once you get used to him. I also think Texas could be an interesting answer because no one's quite sure what we're going to see from the same personnel from a year ago. You can take guesses, but in spring game they kept it pretty vanilla. You just don't know how Tom Herman's going to assemble the parts.
Speaker 2: You know What's an interesting one to me? Florida with Malik's air and how they might wiggle that offense around his talents.
Speaker 1: Last year, Alabama and Jalen Hurts would have been an interesting example. Again, the problem with the analogy though, is that no one could really beat Alabama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just it's much more saying we don't know what they're going to look like at all. Going into the Bamas season. We thought Blake Barnett might be starting, or he did start against USC. But yeah, maybe you know you have the idea Ohio State's offense, there's a Hideo Nomo factor with Kevin Wilson taking over Ryan Day. So yeah, there's a bunch of interesting normal factors.
Speaker 1: All right, next topic, here we go.
Speaker 2: Next topic.
Speaker 1: We've got two prominent quarterbacks, one East Coast, one West Coast. One South one North one. DeAndre Francois fres Waugh from Florida State. His quarterback ranking versus FBS teams.
Speaker 2: Rating, yeah yeah, the ranking of his rating, yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Ranking of his rating okay. So for example, he had the thirty ninth best quarterback ranking in twenty sixteen. His quarterback rating ranking versus Jake Browning touchdown passes he had thirty nine a year ago. So if you compare DeAndre Francois's ranking of his quarterback rating from a year ago, he was thirty ninth to Jake Browning's TV passes from twenty sixteen, he also had thirty nine, So by that metric, By that metric, it's a draw. Here's the problem I have with this, Dan, I'm ready. If DeAndrea Francois gets better, that number goes down. The number goes down, well, oh yeah, proves he could seemingly jump up to like twenty four and Jake Browning. All he'd really have to do is not get hurt and he would easily win this one. So I think the smart money is on Jake Browning. The interesting question though, is if DeAndrea Francois declines it all, if he has a little bit of a sophomore slump. Now, I happen to think that that DeAndre francois pretty good and that he was a warrior out there and played through pain in a ton of situations. But I've been surprised in just kind of perusing the internet that not everyone shares the opinion that he's just automatically going to get better. There are people out there who adamantly believe that he's a good quarterback. He's a serviceable quarterback, but that any in all comparisons to like a Jamis Winston or any great quarterback in Florida State's past, is ill placed on DeAndre Francois. He'll be fine, but just maybe not one of the all time greats. On what side of the fence do you find yourself on DeAndre Francois.
Speaker 2: I think he's fine. I think he's above average. I think if you pay attention to him enough. And our pal Buddy about Elliott has talked about this as being a major part of the Jimbo Fisher system. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes, which is more than you can say for a number of huge quarterbacks a big schools that sometimes they'll be mistake prone, as Jameis Winston was later on in his career at Florida State. So that's a big, big item, big factor in Francois's favor. I just think he's fine. I think the offense will be interesting. I like the running game. I like the youth in the backfield the receivers have. There's a ton of talents, a ton of depth there. But here's the problem I have with just automatically thinking Francois is going to improve upon that specific number. He has a lot of good defenses on his schedule. They open against Bama, they have Miami, they have NC State, they have an improved Wake granted without last year's defensive coordinator, thank you, Tie. They have a good Louisville defense, they have a good Clemson defense. They have a good Florida defense. Late, I think it's going to be a little bit more difficult for DeAndre Francois to improve. But then there's another factor, Tie, and that's the John Ross factor.
Speaker 1: John Ross factor.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many receiving touchdowns John Ross had last year and will not be there this year because he is a National Football League player.
Speaker 1: A ton.
Speaker 2: I think he had seventeen touchdown catches. Wow, he's a special talent. So that number I don't think will be matched by anybody or even approached by anybody. So by that factor, I still think, just barely, I'm gonna go with Jake Browning because I am I'm worried about DeAndre France while was rating against this schedule.
Speaker 1: So okay, a point of clarification. Please, If de Andrea Francois is the twenty fifth best quarterback in twenty seventeen according to quarterback Ranking, Jake Browning throws twenty nine touchdown passes, we're looking for the higher number in Jake Browning. Right, Yes, I gotta go Jake Browning.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: I like DeAndre Francois. I think he's going to improve, but I think this is a tougher proposition than meets the eye.
Speaker 2: So I think Francois improves a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And in fairness, he could improve a little bit and still sink in this reigning mm hm okay, next topic, Dan, did you unfurl your mattress yet?
Speaker 2: I did not unfurl my mattress. I've been on the road, ah, I know, we've been cleaning the apartment. I know it's I'm a time. I'm a bad person, I'm a bad podcast host. This has been long established.
Speaker 1: I've said it once, I'll say it again. My Casper mattress has changed my life. I'm sleeping better, I'm feeling better about my life. I'm not waking up with a dead shoulder next to me on the pillow. It's very important, Dan. You know I have shoulder issues. I had surgery on my left shoulder many moons ago. I don't have to worry about waking up looking at it like it's a piece of dead meat, like it typically had felt with my old memory film mattress. Now I've got a Casper mattress, Dan, a Casper mattress has been.
Speaker 2: A pot In what position do you sleep?
Speaker 1: I'm usually a side sleeper.
Speaker 2: Which side.
Speaker 1: I'm usually a restless sleeper, so both sides probably an equal opportunity side sleeper.
Speaker 2: Have you noticed that you have different experiences sleeping on different sides?
Speaker 1: No, I don't ask, but I've heard that people who sleep in a different position and sometimes have more intense dreams.
Speaker 2: Sleeping experience way more intense dreams when I sleep on my right shoulder. It's so strange ty it taps into a part of my brain that I'm not fully comfortable with.
Speaker 1: Casper has an average of four point eight out of five stars more than thirty thousand global reviews. DAN they are the Internet's favorite mattress. Real customers have said, and I've said this before, I'll try to say it again, it is like sleeping on a brioche again.
Speaker 2: It's brioshe or like.
Speaker 1: Being cradled by the tinkling of baby laughter in the moonlight. If you write that, you are a weird person, but you're not too weird to have a good mattress, so it's okay.
Speaker 2: Solid wife Kate likes it.
Speaker 1: She likes it because it's got a breathable design. She runs a little hot. It keeps her cool at night. Award winning design DAN. They continually develop it using feedback from nearly half a million customers. They sell directly to you, which means they can eliminate the commission driven inflated prices might find elsewhere. And above all that it's easy to buy, easy to buy, go online, you order it and they'll deliver it to your door and in a magical box. I don't know how they do it and they'll deliver to you in the United States, UK or Canada one hundred night risk free, trial, free delivery, free returns. They know how important it is to actually try the mattress before you commit to it, so again, one hundred night's risk free. You can get fifty bucks towards any mattress purchase right now if you go to Casper dot com slash a verbal v erba L and use the code verbal v erba L fifty bucks towards a mattress Casper dot com slash verbal offer code verbal fifty bucks fifty bones off any mattress purchase. Terms and conditions do apply time.
Speaker 2: I ask you one more follow up question about your sleeping Yes, please, How many fewer articles of clothing do you wear? Betre between the coldest and warmest night of the year, coldest night of the year, how many articles of clothing are you were in a.
Speaker 1: Bed coldest night of the year, usually got.
Speaker 2: Every piece of cloth on your on your person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I've I've already gone socks. I've gone like sweatpants. I've gone T shirt and then long sleeve shirt over top of it.
Speaker 2: T shirt and long sleeve shirt over to the coldest.
Speaker 1: Night of the year, and most of the time is because they fell asleep at the couch and didn't feel like changing. But I've done that before.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying intentionally going to bed saying this is my uniform, this is my sleep uniform.
Speaker 1: I've done that. I've done that consciously as well.
Speaker 2: I am staunchly, staunchly anti sock no matter the temperature, so I will go, Yeah, there's at least two or three fewer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say that's probably accurate.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't get what the socks night got to let the dogs breathe, ty all right.
Speaker 1: The other thing I want to mention very quickly, don't forget about our friends over at Blue Apron. As you know, you got picnics and pot lucks and dinner parties, barbecues, all that good stuff going on right now. Good food is essential to a successful summer.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It's easier than ever to create delicious summer meals with Blue Apron for less than ten bucks a meal. They will deliver seasonal recipes along with pre portioned ingredients right to your door. We use it, We've endorsed it. It's good stuff. They're very flexible to customize your recipes every week, choose a delivery option that fits your needs. Their Freshness Guarantee promises that every Blue Apron ingredient arrives ready to cook or they'll make it right right now. In July, you can get see your chicken and creamy pasta salad with summer squash and sweet peppers, or creamy shrimp rolls with quick pickles and sweet potato wedges, fresh basil fetacini pasta with sweet corn and cubanel pepper, and chili butter steaks with parmesan potatoes and spinach.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: You can get your first three meals for free with free shipping by going to Blue Apron dot com slash solid Blue Apron dot com slash solid. You'll love how good it feels and tastes to create incredible home cooked meals with Blue Apron, So don't wait one more time. Blue Apron dot com slash solid, Blue Apron a better way to cook.
Speaker 2: Next topic, I listen. I'm going to indulge you with this one because every single time we do hypotheticals, every single time we try to figure out things we like or have crushes on. You come back to your alma mater. May I ask you something, ty, because we have a Penn State item we do, and we made this very specific to us. If your fandom right now or not even your fandom, your focus were a meter and on one side of the meter it says Penn State and the other side it said Notre Dame. And so basically there's a tug of war happening with the needle on this meter right where is the needle focused? Are we sixty forty Notre Dame? We fifty to fifty? We seven thirty Penn State? Because I'm getting a lot of Penn State out of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it used to be like ninety five five in favor of under Dame. I was an odd ball and that I was raised in the state of Pennsylvania, where everyone was a Penn State fan, but my family was not. My family trained me from birth to try and root for a different team, Notre Dame, and all throughout college I had a negative view of the Penn State football team because I had been brought up in a certain way. It wasn't until after college that I don't know what happened, but I softened on Penn State. So Notre Dame is still my alpha team, and I don't even think it's close. But if I'm picking a team number two, it's probably Penn State. It definite, probably pens It's definitely Penn State.
Speaker 2: I think if you got a phone call right after we finished recording from Mike Kasiki saying you want to host a podcast together about college football, Hans Casett, Yeah, you you would delete my number so quickly. I might do it and even register.
Speaker 1: I might do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so where's your needle right now? If it was ninety five to five, where is it right now? I'll go. But Saquon Barkley does strange things to men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Saquon Barkley probably makes it about sixty two thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a significant jump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I dig it, Ty, I like it. I'm nothing if not.
Speaker 2: You know who's gonna love that? You know who's gonna love hearing this? Mum age all of our friends in the pen life comments.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. I can't wait for that. We need to get on that show that we need to play that game again sometime soon.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's true. Okay, all right, where.
Speaker 1: Are we going next?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Where we going?
Speaker 2: All? Right, So we're gonna go total Penn State. Heisman invites.
Speaker 1: That's right, there was there, there was an ulterior motive. There wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely total Penn State and anilion. Heisman invites plural plural first, and this is about me Los Angeles quarterback. Heisman invites, So an obvious reference to CAL State Northridge and cal Poly Pomona. Now we're going with Josh Rosen and Sam Darnolds. So wow, total Heisman. And it seems on the surface this would be a reference to Trace McSorley and Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 1: Right right, Huh. It's interesting you bring that up because I was thinking about this and thinking about a similar question, maybe not geared so much around how many Penn Staters versus how many LA quarterbacks will go to New York, but mainly will Trace McSorley join Saquon Barkley in New York City. Now we're assuming that Saquon is going to be there at all, provided doesn't get hurt. I think he will. But Trace McSorley is an interesting one. He's an interesting one I think if he goes at all but ensures that Saquon won't win unless he has a baller of a season. It would ensure that Penn State as a team had a pretty good year if he had enough notoriety to make it to New York to begin with. So it's contingent on a number of factors. I think Saquon will be there. I don't think Trace McSorley will. I think he'll probably finish right outside the running six, seventh, eight somewhere in there. I don't think any quarterbacks from LA will be there zero. I don't think that's necessarily a knock on Sam Darnold or on I guess Josh Rosen. Both could have good years, but I don't know if either is going to put up the kind of pinball numbers that it seems the Heisman requires.
Speaker 2: Nowadays, you're going Penn State, who has a trickier schedule this year, but has an opportunity. They play Ohio State in Michigan consecutive weeks.
Speaker 1: Right, that's correct.
Speaker 2: So just in terms of if Trace mcsorly shines right in I believe it's later on in October. If he shines right both of those games, if Penn State is what we anticipate them being, will be on national stage. I think the Ohio State game is already on Fox. It's a nooner. Though, let's assume the Michigan game is a night game, so he will be on display, him and his And it's funny that you don't mention the pop gun arm anymore. Isn't that interesting? How you stop making that reference?
Speaker 1: I noticed these things, ty, Yeah, it's funny how that works.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but the timing is perfect because the schedule eases up after that with Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland. In terms of the defenses he will face after Ohio State on the road, So timing wise, I don't know if it matters that he puts up huge numbers, but if he wins and looks good in that back to back with Penn State receiving so much attention in such a confined space on the schedule, I think there's a good shot.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think there's a better that'll make or break that.
Speaker 2: Don't think a combers thing.
Speaker 1: There's a better shot of Penn Staters making it to New York. Then you know both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. Josh Rosen, if you told me that week seven, a hole in the earth opened up and he fell into it. I'd be like, I could see that happening. I just don't know what to expect from in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, new offensive coordinator, Hyeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious.
Speaker 2: Third in three years, right, Yeah, Kennedy Polamalu, Jetfish and Nolma Zone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious. Remember the knock on him coming out of high school? Is he coachable?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I think he is, but I don't know if he's done a whole lot to counter that argument. So we'll see. I'm gonna go Penn State.
Speaker 2: I almost think, I almost think trace McSorley has a better shot than Saquon Barkley. And that's not a knock at all on Saquon Barkley. I just think it's more difficult with Penn State schedule, you know, having Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, and obviously he tore up Iowa last year. But I think it's going to be more difficult unless he is putting up such crazy numbers consistently, and that was something he didn't do last year. He had huge flash games, but he disappeared a little bit other games. I think Trace McSorley as a quarterback in this system in the second year in the system has a better shot because of the way the heisman is laid out, not necessarily because of football talent.
Speaker 1: Interesting, okay, but.
Speaker 2: I'm my gut is to say push. I'm not a huge fan of Josh Rosen. With this third coordinator in three years, I really really, really like Sam Darnold, and I only think he gets better. He's without his number one receiver. Offensive line changes a little bit, which worries me, given you know, protection issues, but I think he's escape. His escapability is enough to the fact, enough to the point where I think he gets there. So I'm going to say I'm going to give the nod and say one La quarterback zero Penn Staters is the most likely, but they're both really good.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do one more here and get out a little early since you're out there in tok Okay. Give you a chance to go enjare the scenery. Yeah, here is final quot. Did wait, did you put this one in here?
Speaker 2: I must have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't see this one. So you've got Colorado wins versus the pac twelve North versus number of weeks until Tye says, quote, I'm all in on Brandon Wimbush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 1: So you're thinking one win for Colorado and the PAC twelve North, you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna it's gonna happen that quickly.
Speaker 1: It could, It could, Dan.
Speaker 2: After Temple, you're just making a declaration.
Speaker 1: Here's what we got for Colorado's schedule against the PAC twelve North. They play Washington, they play Oregon State, they play Washington State. Cal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four games. They every team always misses two in the PAC twelve of the opposing division.
Speaker 1: The over under for them this year is like right on the number at six. Cal would probably be the I think most obvious win here.
Speaker 2: So they're rebuilding their defense, their defensive court and Jim Levitt who goes to Oregon. Offensively, they lose safe a loofou. But that is a thing Colorado already. That's what they do every week. They lose safe. We Loufau comes back, they lose safe for a lufau whatever. Steven Monte has got a lot of time last year. The problem is against Washington, the offense was terrible, the defense was great. The defense is gonna be different. I don't imagine Washington's offer. Excuse me, Colorado's offense taking huge steps for versus Washington. It was a good game, a good win against Wazoo late in the year. Cal I think is a win. I just Oregon State's tricky going to Corvallis. They're getting better. I like Gary Anderson as a coach. I think that's a tricky game. I think one and a half is probably the over under of acceptable wins there. And then if you compare that against Notre Dame, here's the first five weeks, because you're going to say this within the first five weeks, if you're going to say it at all, Ris, Jeff Collins and Temple. I think we assume a good defense given what has been recruited to Philly and what that defense has looked like consistently over the past three or four years. Is that reasonable fare they're going to play and Notre Dame has struggled with Temple recently. They're going to play Georgia. Is that at home or is that a neutral site game?
Speaker 1: That game is at home at night seven point thirty NBC Week two in Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Stay okay, Okay, So there's a tricky game. Boston College should be relatively easy, not easy, but manageable. Defensively Michigan State. We don't fully know what to expect. Even when Michigan State's bad, they still look pretty good against Notre Dame and Miami Ohio finishes out September. So I would say the overunder would be two because I think that Georgia game is everything. The Georgia game could definitely sway me as far as your crush. If he looks great against Georgia, then I can anticipate a Sunday morning, you know, eleven am. I'm all in, baby, I'm all in.
Speaker 1: It could happen.
Speaker 2: I'm ready, baby. Yeah. So what's your final your final judgment you said post Temple's possible.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go Colorado wins. Let's go Colcorada wins.
Speaker 2: I'll do like Mike McIntyre.
Speaker 1: I'll be a caricature of myself. I lose, but yeah, let's go Colorado wins.
Speaker 2: I like the facts that you can be all in on Brandon Wimbush. Let's say after week two it looks really good against Georgia and then you have USC, NC State, Miami, Navy, and Stanford all to finish out the second half of the year. For me to go back and say remember when you said, but I really think Brandon Wimbush is going to be be good for Notre Dame this year. All right, there you have it, Dan, Yeah, I have one other topic, but this is not a competing thing. This is not an either or and it's totally off topic. But we are now. It's July eleventh, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: As we record this, Okay, in front of me, I have the Billboard Hot one hundred and since you listen to music of this kind much more than I do, just because you have a radio, and I don't really Yeah, I guess I could listen on Spotify, but I'm not exposed to this as much as you are. I'm gonna give you the top five, okay, okay, that are currently a top It's the week of July twenty second, the Billboard Hot one hundred. And you tell me what the current song of summer is, okay, okay? Of what is your job? Here we go? Of the five of these five? Yeah, okay, and if there's one outside of the five, you can say it after number five? Is the shape of you?
Speaker 1: Ed Sheeran, okay, a little overplayed like Ed Cheron, little overplayed?
Speaker 2: Okay, So Tye is on the record Love Some smed Cheeran doesn't like the overabundance, wild thoughts. DJ Collin featuring Rihanna and somebody named Bryson Tiller.
Speaker 1: Not a big DJ Colled fan.
Speaker 2: Do you know that song?
Speaker 1: I do know the song. Not a huge fan. Quite honestly, I don't get the whole DJ col Ed thing.
Speaker 2: But number three, Bruno Mars That's what I like.
Speaker 1: See now that that is what I like. Dan, This is speaking to you, This is speaking to me. This is speaking to me. Bruno is a true performer, a Bruno fan.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else is on this top five list, but right now I'm feeling number three.
Speaker 2: Number two is back to DJ Collin, which I don't know what he does except for yell DJ at the beginning of songs. Whatever. I've heard this song. I've heard this song. It's DJ Colled featuring Justin Bieber Bieber excuse me, Quavo Cuevo. It's the guy from Migos, Chance the Rapper and Lil Wayne. That's number two, Okay. Number one is Desposito the Remix featuring Justin Bieber.
Speaker 1: See I'm cool with Bieber as an artist to be honest, not like a fanboy, but Bieber as an artist, definitely a person and uh way back, I still think I give the edge to Bruno Mars.
Speaker 2: Bruno Mars, That's what I like. Song of the summer. Unless there's something outside of the top five. You gotta imagine dragons you got Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean of those choices, let's say, off the top of my head, I gotta go, I gotta go Bruno.
Speaker 2: It's not a bad choice. I might go with I'm the one, not a fan. DJ Colled, Yeah, guy from mego not a fan. It's a pretty good song. It's it's a pop hit, Tye, it is a pop hit.
Speaker 1: Give me Bruno.
Speaker 2: This Posito is also really good. Also, I give points to des Basito because it's Daddy Yankee and he is back from Gosolina.
Speaker 1: I was in Cancun around the time that Gasolina came out. Oh and let me tell you it was all Daddy Yankee on loop ty.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of the following artists Charlie Puff, Pooth, Poof, Poof, Poof. Finally, have you heard of Charlie Pooth? I have, yeah, Okay, I have not sewn Mendez. I have lil UZI vert nope, Halsey yes, Julia Michaels, yes, James Arthur yes. Wow. I don't know any of these people are listen to a lot of pop radio.
Speaker 1: I know you do. I know you do. Ty not gonna lie?
Speaker 2: What was what was the song I saw in here? All right? I think this is all I have. But I'm glad to know that you're You're in on Bruno ours. That's what I like.
Speaker 1: Song of the summer I'm in baby?
Speaker 2: All right? You sing along in the car?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ah, Okay, making sure kidding me?
Speaker 1: You've heard these pipes?
Speaker 2: Dan, It's true.
Speaker 1: If you'd like more information on what we're up to over the next couple weeks, go on out solid verbal dot com sign up for our newsletter of intent. It's free to do. We won't spam you. We promise we're going to be making an announcement shortly about the status of our live show. Just stay tuned to that. Also, don't forget to follow us on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, and if you haven't already, please do going out to either the Facebook page or the iTunes page and write a review for us. We're also now on Spotify, so anywhere find podcasts are sold. Anywhere you can write a review. That help would obviously be greatly appreciated. That's all I got too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, we're good.
Speaker 1: Enjoy your golf round. Enjoy your golf round tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is you'll be doing, take fun pictures. If you can get Brian Kelly, that would be nice. At a minimum, though, we need your golf swing. Okay, I can get that, but that guy over there, way over there in beautiful Lake Tahoe for myself, Tie Hilde right back here at the homestead in eastern Pennsylvania. Thanks again for listening to the solid verbal. We will catch you all in a week. In the meantime, stay silent peace,