Speaker 1: Hey, Fanaritos, Welcome back to how Rude Tanner Ritos, and boy do we have a very special guest on the podcast today. Lydia Cornell played the gorgeous Spanish teacher Senorita Mosley, who famously locked lips with Danny Tanner in the season two episode El Problema Grande de dj But the word actress doesn't nearly capture all of the facets.
Speaker 2: Of her extraordinary life.
Speaker 1: She is not just the beauty who is best known for her role as the younger sister Sarah on the nineteen eighty sitcom Too Close for Comfort. She is a woman and children's advocate, an international public speaker on recovery with twenty nine years of sobriety, a lecturer at the LMU School of Film and Television, and a prolific writer who has been invited to share her writings with the International Museum of Peace. She also hosts a podcast called Godshots, which explores mental health through the true stories of life's uncanny coincidences. To say we are in awe of Lydia before we even sit down to chat with her is an understatement. Faner Ritos, please welcome the extraordinarily inspirational Lydia Cornell.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's so wonderful to see you.
Speaker 3: I like, I'm so excited that you're on the show, and I just can't I can't thank you enough for doing this.
Speaker 2: And also like, you're just a badass, may I say?
Speaker 3: Like, And we keep finding out that we grew up surrounded and interacting with people who are absolute legends. Oh and you are definitely one of them. So you're so no truly, we so wanted to have you.
Speaker 2: On the show.
Speaker 3: And I just have to say I was a fan of Too Close to for Comfort as a kid, and I never somehow realized. I think maybe because I didn't really have scenes with you that, like you were the teacher and the Yeah, anyway, big fan, love it.
Speaker 2: You're a puge.
Speaker 4: Your care because of his voice is really bizarre.
Speaker 2: Never anyway, no, no, no, no worries.
Speaker 4: Not only that way.
Speaker 3: You should have heard us last week. She was Andrea was sick, I had allergies. It sounded like we were like the two old muppets, the two like old men in the balcony, Like we love you guys.
Speaker 1: You guys are so sweet cool, Thank you, You're so sweet for doing this and the more we find out, like we just it's like peeling an onion. We just keep finding out more and more cool facts about you, and we're like, oh, we could get her on the show.
Speaker 2: Be so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'm very very excited.
Speaker 4: I had no idea even you know.
Speaker 5: I just think about how beautiful the show was, and when Bob Saggett died, I was devastated because I've known him forever.
Speaker 3: Well, Lydia, welcome to the show. We are so excited to have you on. Senorita Mosley. Yes, Ola, I can understand it, but I can't speak it.
Speaker 2: That I can read it. Great, if you could write that down for me, I'll let you know. Abe, you're going to take a crack at.
Speaker 1: This that now we know how you got the gig and Senorita Mosley, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: I'm old friends with Jeff Franklin from years ago from the garage. Yeah, and then he said you you speak Spanish, right, because I do. I like to show up my Spanish.
Speaker 4: Wherever I go.
Speaker 3: It's like I wish I paid more attention and spoke better Spanish. But from originally oh okay, well that that makes sense, So yeah, we'd love to like.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so much to dig into.
Speaker 3: With who you are, your history, you're acting, you're you're you're speaking, you're writing like you're just you're it's you're really really talented. And I hope people no, it's true, Like I women in this business who really do a lot and who kind of take the bowl by the horns and go and create things for themselves. I have huge admiration for me too, because this business is not always friendly to women and to women creators, and it's particularly not one that women often stay in for their entire lives. And so when you meet women who are doing it and doing it successfully, I always like to just be like, big up to you, because it's you know.
Speaker 4: You make me want to cry.
Speaker 5: I'm serious, I just got tears in my eyes because it has been a rough journey. I mean I worry about I really have such love for younger women, and you know, I became a mom at forty. So I look at you guys, and you're young, and you're still you're vibrant, and you're exciting, and you're doing it right now. Yeah, I want to encourage younger people to please stet to their dreams and don't let anything ever stop you if you believe in yourself. But you have to start believing in yourself. A lot of women don't. That was my problem for many years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're taught to doubt ourselves a lot. And I think something Andrew and I talk about it a lot. Something happens, I think, particularly for women around mid age forties, all of a sudden you kind of start going, I wait, hold on, I'm not doing this for anybody.
Speaker 2: Else like this is there's a freaking.
Speaker 3: I am a different I am a different woman, and so I love when and I love to see women mentoring younger women. You know, we're so often taught that, like, women don't look out for other women, and I don't find that to be true. Once we all get to the age where we kind of untangle that myths.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh gosh, I can't say I love collaboration and not competition. We're all yanique. We all love unique gifts and to really spend each day in gratitude and joy.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 5: It's hard to jump togself when you don't have a regular job.
Speaker 3: You know, it's staying in this business without completely sacrificing who you are is really hard, and it's it's not always easy.
Speaker 2: But I'd love to start.
Speaker 3: I mean, at the beginning, I could just I'm gonna jump all over there. I used to try and keep my ADHD under control.
Speaker 2: But yeah, let's started.
Speaker 3: Let's start at the beginning, because that's usually a great place to start. When did you first start acting or getting into wanting to create or or write or perform?
Speaker 5: When I was five, I got lost to Disneyland and I got lost the Sleeping Beauty's Capital and they call the police. Who knows what happened, honestly, but I was obsessed with the Land of Make Belief, probably to escape a very And I love my mom.
Speaker 4: She just passed away two years ago, a very critical, bipolar, borderline mother and I I know that's a hot term nowadays, but it took me.
Speaker 5: So long to unravel this toxic relationship. And I've had a complete forgiveness of her. I forgave her completely and I love her to pieces now in my heart. But I think a lot of actors come to Hollywood to seek the adoration of strangers. And you guys started here. I came here from far away. You know, it was a dream to be Hayley Mills. And I watched The Moon Spinners and Pollyanna, and I thought, oh my god, it's like she was. So the sense of innocence and the sense of wonder was what turned me on about the entertainment industry, thinking it was full of innocence and wonder back then. But and it still is, you know, I have to seek that out. And I love movies. I just loved Micheli and I was in every play in high school. I had a little theater in the backyard with all over the sandbox, and I always got to play the boy because.
Speaker 4: All the girls the neighborhood wouldn't play the boy, so.
Speaker 2: I was the prince or you know, oh, I love it.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: And I used to create very Shakespearean of you, yeah exactly, well reversed but it's close.
Speaker 4: And I used to create poster board scenery.
Speaker 5: And my dad was in the He was a violinist, was raised in Shanghai, escaped the Russian Revolution, and he was his little boy, raised in Shanghai's whole life wow. And he was in the Shanghai Philharmonic and then he got into an American a really good music school here, not Julliard.
Speaker 4: The other went Phillips And.
Speaker 5: That's when the Japanese invaded the Rape of Nan King and they shut the city down and he couldn't leave for ten more years. So he didn't make it to America un till later. But he played first violin in the Alpasa Symphony and I went to see him do a production of Pinocchio and he let me come to the rehearsals, and I was exploring the stage and just the theater, the gauze whale with the light inside, and he went in and out of the scenery in the set design, and I was obsessed with theater. And that's what started the bug. And then I did every play in high school. I was a nerd and a had very bad acne. I had one friend in high school, a gay guy, Dny Monroe. We moved from Scarsdale to I mean from El Pasa to Scarsale, so I didn't fit in.
Speaker 4: So it was like a really great escape.
Speaker 2: And that was where you started. Was theater.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I was in a well.
Speaker 5: I wasn't in I was in a fellow, but I didn't play Tesdemona. I played a male torch bearer with long sideburns to cover my with my gay friend Monroe, but behind the Semona who's.
Speaker 4: The cheerleader with longlood here. So I wanted to be blunt.
Speaker 5: You know. It was this crazy idea that you could escape your own reality by becoming an actress, right, you know my motives weren't exactly sure.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that I don't know that it's yeah, I think that's I mean that's what a lot of people come here looking for some sort of escape it, whether you're viewing it or participating it. It is some sort of escapism, some sort of pretending to be someone else, sort of you know, when you get to have this persona in these creations and you know, well, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Mean it wasn't pure. It was like it was for the fun. Yeah, I thought it was going to be just right, wonderland of fun.
Speaker 5: And I remember my high school drama teacher, mister Hazel time I did the scene from Glass Bannagerie, the opening where the brother talks about I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve, and his eyes were looking at me like like I became that guy. I'm not like doing gender bending roles. I just happened to love these roles where the main part was always more interesting, you know. So I'm writing roles like that for women, But back then I would he loved what I was doing and it kind of fed my passion.
Speaker 1: So what was your first professional acting job it was? Was it too close for comfort or was it I wanted?
Speaker 5: My parents had moved to Holland my father had lost his job and he was given a job in the shipping industry by one of his childhood friends and made it the Europe and he had a heart attack and I went to take care of him with my family, and I began writing letters to all the producers on Dutch American TV shows that were in Dutch with Dutch subtitles. Had written letters begging for jobs, and then I went, I'm going to go to Hollywood. I graduated college with a business degree in Boulder. By the way, I worked at Caribou Ranch with Joni Mitchell and Billie Joel and you know, driving rocks throws to the airport and meeting all those guys.
Speaker 2: It was a touch so cool.
Speaker 4: It was so cool.
Speaker 5: It was like I wanted to be in the rocks in the music business first as a sideway to get in, so I go, how did I get into Holland? And finally, once I got back from Holland to La I went to dinner with an agent one night. I was new in town, brand new, and we went to La Scala boutique and we walked in in the front booth. He introduces me to four people, Natalie Wood, Robert Wagner, Aaron Spelling, and Fred Astaire. They were all sitting together at the front booth. I was so starstruck, I was shaking. I couldn't I was tongue tied. And then we sat across from them on another booth and during the dinner, I'm not kidding this happened.
Speaker 4: Natalie would went like this to me.
Speaker 5: She summoned me with her index finger, and I'm like, I just like walked over there by hygnosis or something. And she said, mister Spelling would like to meet you. So apparently he likes to meet all the young new girls right right here. You're an actress. And I said yeah. He says, why don't you come into our casting office tomorrow. I meet Kathy Henderson and I got my first love book. Oh and I got Charlie's Angel too, like two jobs.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 5: It was played shuffleboard and I looked right in the camera.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize you don't look in the cap.
Speaker 1: Rookie mistake, right, That's what an incredible meeting. That's that's like a fever dream that doesn't even seem real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you guys, come on, I went to hear your That feels like a feels like a dinner at Jeff Franklin's house when you walk in and you're like.
Speaker 2: What, how are all these people here? This is a dream? What is happening? Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 4: A lot of parties have in his big house, that house.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, it's great parties, great music parties to.
Speaker 4: Boys and then whitney Y and Bobby Brown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, music is always always a huge part of it.
Speaker 3: So what was the what was like the turn like the role kind of that turning point for your career where you realized you were going to be doing more than playing shuffleboard in a bikini and looking at the camera, but where we were like, oh, I think I might actually like this is a thing, I might actually do the.
Speaker 5: Very next Huggerson And it was I met these producers, some of these agents, agents, managers at a party and they said, hey, you look like the type they're casting right now.
Speaker 4: And they had They managed a young boy named Michael J.
Speaker 5: Fox who was playing a He was twenty one playing a twelve year old on Palmer's Down USA, and no one knew who he was really. But I signed with them twenty percent they took, My agent took it, and my other manager, business Menser.
Speaker 4: Took five. It was like thirty five percent out the window.
Speaker 5: Right, and they sent me on one audition three. The first one was Blue Jeans for ABC. I acted the hell out of that role. It was a stage screen test. Didn't get it. Cry Apparently, if you sign a pilot agreement to audition for a pilot, you sign seven years of your life away. You can't do another pilot audition. So the luck was I didn't get that one because it didn't go. The second one was Lady's manag for CBS.
Speaker 4: I didn't get that one.
Speaker 5: The third one was keep It in the Family too close for comfort, and I was late.
Speaker 4: I took a bus.
Speaker 5: I was wearing the draggle, my hair was all like wet from the rain. It was raining in La and I remember coming in late thirty minutes late in the cat and the secretary said, sorry, they've seen foreign to girls.
Speaker 4: It's too late.
Speaker 5: And I started to cry, like you know, just not cry cry. But Arnie written comes out of the office and he goes she.
Speaker 4: Lets the part letter coming in read, and so I went in and it was my third big audition.
Speaker 1: Wow, sorry my voice, that's incredible.
Speaker 5: And then there's a line in the script. I'm reading with Varcy Carsey and Tom Warner.
Speaker 4: They're in the room.
Speaker 5: My god, right, yeah, ABC execs Bob Stolphy and Arnie Sultan, who created Gets Smart with mel Brooks. And then there's the captain director and I'm reading with Arnie and there's a line in the script.
Speaker 4: That says, Sarah gives Dad a raspberry. So after my.
Speaker 5: Line, my line was, in case you haven't noticed, we're two very sophisticated young women.
Speaker 4: So there and I pick up an imaginary raspberry and I thrust it at him and.
Speaker 5: They burst out laughing. The whole room exploded with laughter, and I turned red and they go, what the hell are you having me here? And I went, getting you a raspberry? Like you said there and he goes, you don't know what a raspberry is, and they all did a bronx to here.
Speaker 4: You know that big loud right?
Speaker 5: And what time can you Be's a callbacks tomorrow for the network?
Speaker 4: They thought, you know, and then he said he said what planet are you from? And I think I said Texas. I was so.
Speaker 5: But anyway, the next day was a miracle because I read what Ted night in front of Tony Famopolis, the president of ABC.
Speaker 4: All the execs were there. I wasn't even nervous.
Speaker 5: I was the only one wearing a virginal flowered dress. The other four Callback girls were wearing cleavage and boobs hanging out and nipples showing and cut off and I'm like a virgin.
Speaker 4: And I read with Ted.
Speaker 5: And they were laughing and clapping. At the end, I read with Devrevon Volckenberg, who plays my sister. At the end of it, she says, what's your name again? I said, Lydia Cordemilov, Corni Lov.
Speaker 4: This is weird Russian name. I have to get a shorter name. She says, that's weird.
Speaker 5: I worked for a Gregreek Corniloff, but they moved him to Holland and I went, that's my father. She works in the interval with shipping company in New York City. Out of ten million people in New York ever worked for my dad.
Speaker 4: We're best friends.
Speaker 1: What are the odds?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: I wrote a movie.
Speaker 5: I directed her in a movie we did together. I mean, we're like sisters.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wow, what a great story. That's one of those one of those god shots coincidences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, we're just school just all sort of lined up exactly as it was supposed to.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 5: It's a god I love that term, Like I trademarked that term already because it's about synchronous city.
Speaker 4: That's uncanny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of those.
Speaker 1: So what great training ground to be on a sitcom, which is kind of like doing a live play, but where you get to mess up and redo your lines if you mess up. And that's so you did Too Close for Comfort for six seasons, seven seasons.
Speaker 5: Six seasons, and then Ted died in this He died in the sixth season.
Speaker 4: So I and I.
Speaker 5: Did five seasons full. We were negotiating to go in the sixth. Ted then did something kind of weird, he said, I want only well, I shouldn't say this on the year.
Speaker 4: I loved Ted, but he got rid of Nasty.
Speaker 5: You want to get rid of Nancy and you just want to have Jim Bullock and another family or something.
Speaker 4: I ran to Nancy and I went to lunch recently she told me the whole story. So we're good. I loved him, I've learned. I learned everything from him, how.
Speaker 5: To do his spit take, which is like, yeah, I learned like every comedic.
Speaker 4: And also I got in a lot of trouble with him. I mean, at one point, really, I was standing.
Speaker 5: I couldn't look him in the eye because he made me laugh or made me nervous. So I look about him his forehead and he would yell, why is she looking at my forehead?
Speaker 4: He would yell at the booth. I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 2: But event Jody and I do that all the time.
Speaker 3: Yep, you guys too, Oh yeah, because we would make each other laugh. We would have these stupid bits between Stephanie and Kimmy that we'd have to do, particularly in Fuller House, and we were all and so it would be like just we'd be wearing some ridiculous costume or something, and I was like, just look at my forehead, like, don't look me in the eye, because if if you look me in the eye.
Speaker 2: Where it's all bad.
Speaker 3: So yeah, a forehead, the forehead is a great place to look when you're trying.
Speaker 2: To get it's a good trick.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's so funny. You did that.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: I got in trouble the National National requires in spies to the debt, and they were a thing I was printing, but I was actually they gave me pearl buttons and the warded lady couldn't do them.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 4: I got in a lot of trouble with Tatalot.
Speaker 5: I was so nervous, and my managers kept trying to get more money and I went, no, I'll do to show for free. But you know, you know how that works when you started write, become a.
Speaker 3: Little well yeah, I mean, you know, this business is it's it's a dance between the business part and the show part. And and you know, unfortunately the business part wins out a lot as opposed to the creative performance side.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know it's there, it's always it gets a little sticky.
Speaker 3: But like six seasons on a show is incredible. I mean, that's like, you know, most people, I mean, nowadays, shows don't hardly get six seasons, you know, but even back then, like six seasons was a lot.
Speaker 4: I forget to be grateful about.
Speaker 5: I keep going I haven't really done my real dream yet, which is writing directing. You know, It's always been a dream to be a writer. And I can't believe I'm not more grateful. I should be really grateful.
Speaker 4: We have a lot fun and then every hiatus I did a love I had six love books, two hotels, Hunter, eighteen Night Writer, Simon and Simon, Hardball, full House.
Speaker 2: All of the all of the top eighties shows you hit, you hit them all Amazing.
Speaker 4: Race Car Driving, Dix Hazard, two hour Movie Crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, those.
Speaker 4: Are the eighties.
Speaker 1: That's so sweet to hear that you still keep in touch with Deborah. Do you still keep in touch with Jim j Bullets or.
Speaker 4: We just spent two days with him in Palm Springs just hanging out. How my boyfriend and I go.
Speaker 2: Oh, that sounds fabulous. Yeah, that sounds super fun.
Speaker 5: I love Jim. And they named Monroe after my high school friend.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask that.
Speaker 1: I was like, what a coincidence? Is not a common name. Yeah that is so cool. Oh wow, oh I love that.
Speaker 2: Are you still in La Yeah, you're out here. Yeah. I living kind of hard to do. I mean it is.
Speaker 5: I raised my kids in Beverly Hills. I raised three boys and two dogs, including my husband, and they.
Speaker 3: All Was he one of the boys or the dogs were absolutely yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: I had a stepson who had grittle bung disease. I love him so much. He's twenty eight.
Speaker 4: My son is.
Speaker 5: Thirty, just through thirty. My biological thing. It was such a great household. We have a wonderful time. But now I met the love of my life. And he's a writer. He wrote Seinfeld, got an Immy wg A wards. He brought all those eighties shows too.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. That's incredible.
Speaker 3: So you still you're still very much involved in I mean, this business and have been for a very long time.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's incredible.
Speaker 5: There's times I want to leave, but I have. I have so much writing I'm doing right now, writing kind.
Speaker 4: Of a spiritual therapy comedy.
Speaker 5: I write comedy about my own complete assholish things that happen, I mean, things that have happened to me.
Speaker 4: I had some hilarious Hollywood horror stories.
Speaker 5: So the new book I'm writing is called Hiding My Brain and My bra It should have been done by now.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah, oh my god, I want to read it.
Speaker 1: I was like, how do I get my I want my hands on an advanced copy please.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, definitely, it's just about to be turned in. But I also there's some tragic parts in it as well, because.
Speaker 5: I'm, you know, thirty years sober and I had a really I found my soul.
Speaker 4: It's funny you can find your soul in a shallow.
Speaker 5: Place like LA because it's got this incredible recovery community.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry, the La recovery community is really it's unlike anywhere else, and.
Speaker 2: We're very spoiled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the recovery community out here. You go other places, you're like, oh man, like recovery. You know, it's great anywhere, and you'll find your people.
Speaker 2: But La has just such a.
Speaker 3: And so many creative people, and so many people in this business I think too, that are also sober and that it there's just such a connection amongst a lot of people in this area.
Speaker 4: Totally agree. I love yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean you're really open about your sobriety and you're speaking and all of that, which I obviously have huge.
Speaker 2: Admiration for.
Speaker 5: What.
Speaker 3: You know, twenty nine years you said twenty nine or thirty years.
Speaker 5: I'll me thirty, but I'm twenty nine twenty nine yeah, seven, I mean nine to eleven, nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, that's really inspirational.
Speaker 5: It's everything. I can't believe it. I was like a radioactive drunk. I mean, I really had, and then one day everything shifted because I surrendered. It was like, I kind of want to prove this power through quantum physics because it's I wasn't raised in a fundamentalist religion, but I definitely believe in the power of love, your higher self. Yeah, and it's transformative once you just I title a body my old brain out started believing that it was possible to be happy and to stop worrying, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's really it's it's a common theme on this podcast. We talk a lot about how you turn tragedy into comedy. We're using that as a way to cope with degree for the difficult times in your life. And is that do you think that's why you're so drawn to writing comedy and performing comedy.
Speaker 2: Time time plus tragedy equals comedy.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 5: I can't believe you said everything about tragedy turning into comedy.
Speaker 4: That's my entire life. Actually, yeah, and every I.
Speaker 5: Have a sponsor, and every time I tell her, let's just look at this as an opportunity.
Speaker 4: You're going to have a transformation.
Speaker 5: Don't fight it, accept it right, accepting Sometimes we jump to the solution too quickly, but acceptance is accept where you are right now.
Speaker 2: It's not going to kill you, right, and then you.
Speaker 5: Can move into the beauty the transformation, which is to see the good around you.
Speaker 4: I really believe love is the physical force. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I was gonna says it's you know, it's one of those things until.
Speaker 2: You get to a place where you.
Speaker 3: Can and I have gone through this many times in my life until I learned to be able to get to a place where I could find joy regardless of outer circumstances. Then I found that once I was able to tap into that joy, that then all of the things that I wanted for myself became that much easier because I also recognized that they weren't in the external, you know, and they weren't in the things I would surround myself with.
Speaker 2: It was all like what am I feeling on the inside.
Speaker 3: I can drive a car and have no money and live in a one bedroom apartment, but I can all but I can be happy because happiness and outer monetary stuff are not at all connected. And like learning that sort of thing and like the reflection of that, and that's why I just I love listening to what you talk about and all that because.
Speaker 2: It's so it's so key to like really learning how to.
Speaker 3: Live in the present moment and that it's that being happy is not necessarily a condition, right, Like it's not you know what I mean, Like you can be content in the midst of yes, incredible darkness, because you know that that is also momentary, you know, God that it's all sort of transitory. But anyway, I I, Yeah, this is one of my favorite things to talk about. So I'm like very excited. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In the darkest moment of my divorce, when I was when my little stepson was going to move away to Malibu High and I was going to lose my little he was fourteen when we divorced, Jack went off to see his dad for the summer, and I'm sitting under this fig tree.
Speaker 4: I never knew we.
Speaker 5: Had a fig tree because I didn't look up during the whole marriage ring.
Speaker 4: And suddenly, by the end of that year, when my life had come to fruition, the whole tree was full of figs.
Speaker 5: But I had this amazing revelation that life is about the very moment you're in. If you can be here now, if you have one foot in tomorrow and one fitting yesterday, you're pissing on today. And I suddenly a butterfly, I'm not kidding, butterfly started circling me because I was in this grief, deep grief. It was almost like a pang of heartache over the divorce. It wasn't that I it's a love story. I have a really funny story about my marriage. It's like hilarious. I mean, I couldn't leave my marriage sooner. I was getting too much comedy.
Speaker 4: Material out of it.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I get it. I've been divorced three times. It's so much, so much material, you just never ending, and it's still going yet.
Speaker 5: But then this butterfly appeared and I started and it was snapped out of my internal grief by an external It was weird, like I always had an internal transformation, but this time, and this is during.
Speaker 4: Sobriety, this butterfly was so beautiful.
Speaker 5: I began chasing butterflies and I was taken to I had to go to a Delmar event for autistic children that weekend, and they put me up at a hotel and I went to the San Diego Zoo alone, cried about my marriage, and I started playing with the animals, like a gorilla stucker hung out at me, and a peacock I sawt like a nerd, but a peacock opened its feathers and I'm like. All the toddlers and I were ooing an eye against the animals. All the parents were on their phones, and I'm like, I'm a child again, and I was so in love with this day. I stayed so present, and when I got home, I saw the one thing I wanted to see was a monarch butterfly in person. I've never seen one in person, and it was waiting for me at my front door on a rose and I go and I realized the universe is interactive. It wants to play with us. It wants to show off for us. It wants to give us our dreams, but we're never present. Where was worrying or regretting, you know, and that was like a revelation kind of a day.
Speaker 3: Well, they've done these incredible studies about having a sense of awe. If you can cultivate a sense of awe or a sense of wonder, yes, every day over something small, whether it's a bird or a piece of art or a sunset or something that you just go wow, and you tap into that childlike sense of like that's so cool. They have done studies that show that that is a huge connection and boost to like serotonin levels and dopamine and like all of this stuff. That that sense of awe and sort of childlike wonder and keeping that sense of play and like excitement about what might be next in your day that you don't know about. That that is the thing that really is one of the huge keys to contentment because those little things are are literally you know, like you said, it's by your front door, it's by it's the moments that you can find a sense of awe or beauty in some of the most horrific moments. And it's those moments that like, that's that's life, right, is that that those two things kind of coming up against each other and how important?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I can't believe you relate to that. It's like, yeah, I love when people relate to this because a lot of you know, my.
Speaker 4: Boyfriend's very grounded in reality.
Speaker 5: It's like, okay, but it's kind of fun having a grounded person and a very ethereal person in the same house.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh that well that's my husband and I. Yeah, it's you need those two people otherwise everyone's floating off the planet. And also, like I tend to it's those like both sides of my brain where I'm like, well, yes, but also this there's like sensible, but there's also like my woo woo side, and I love my woo woo side, but I also love my science side. But I think the two are much more interconnected than we give them credit.
Speaker 5: But anyway, by the way, wait, Einstein says, no problem can be solved at the same level it was created on. Do you have to go to a higher level it's spiritual or diplomatic. You can't fight fire with fire, can't your alcoholism with more alcohol, And you can't really create peace with bums.
Speaker 4: So it's like go to a spiritual or diplomatic solution.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it requires a bigger picture thinking and sort of getting outside of your sense of self ego, your own ego, yes exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh ego is not your am ego.
Speaker 3: Really, as you can probably tell, we could talk to Lydio all day. I mean, she is an absolute inspiration in everything that she has accomplished in her lifetime. Well, we couldn't bear to cut this interview short, so stay tuned for Part two of our interview with Lydia Cornell, airing this Friday, and in the meantime, if you want to find us on Instagram, you can check us out at how Rude Podcast. You can also send us emails at howardpodcast at gmail dot com. We love to hear all your comments, your questions. We just love hearing from our fan of ritos. You guys really make this show such a joy for us to do. And yeah, until next time, Part two Lydia Cornell, You guys, it's going to be really exciting.
Speaker 2: But remember, here we go, here we go. The world is small, but the house is full.
Speaker 1: I'm always waiting, like on the edge of my seat to see if you screw it up.
Speaker 3: I feel like I should have in honor of Sendri in a Moseley, I should have translated it into Spanish.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's okay. Well I tried okay,