Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hi, Hi, I'm just out for a walk.
Speaker 1: What do I owe the pleasure?
Speaker 3: I have a story and I thought that you in particular might be interested in it. Because it takes place in Canada.
Speaker 4: It does create a special in my years, per cup.
Speaker 3: A little like Pavlov's bell. I hear Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like my math starts to salivate.
Speaker 3: In fact, it's not just about Canada, but it's about going to school in Canada, which you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. I was schooled in Canada. I went through French immersion all the way from kindergarten up until eleventh grade.
Speaker 3: Could you introduce the show in French?
Speaker 2: Oh? Boy, that's that's a lot to ask. What's what's the name of the episode? The sat say, look suet in bon Acute.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful. And there are the sounds of sirens to ring us in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the sirens of good narrative storyteller.
Speaker 3: Watch out, everybody. I'm Khalila Holt and this is heavyweight. Today is heavyweight short lock.
Speaker 1: Right after the break, Hi, is this Lachlan? Hello?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 4: Can you hear me Ollo?
Speaker 3: Despite his lack of confirmation, this is indeed Lachlan or Locke for short. Hi, It's Khalila calling.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 5: Oh Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: Locke is twenty years old. When I ask him what he does, he says he plants trees, but also he's traveling. But also he's kind of a student. He's a disorienting person to talk to. Like, despite the fact that we exchanged multiple emails setting up this call, I forget yeah. And in fact, it's Locke's questionable memory that we're here to talk about today, because he's come to me with an improbable story, something he recalls vividly but that no one else believes actually happened. In revisiting this memory, Lock hopes to expose an injustice, to unseat a tyrant, to confront a nemesis he's obsessed over since he was just five years old.
Speaker 5: But that's a call.
Speaker 3: Madame Nicole, Locke's kindergarten French immersion teacher.
Speaker 5: She wore like mean looking glasses and she kind of scowled all the time.
Speaker 3: Locke describes her as an exact double of Edna Mode from The Incredibles.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what she looks like, really tiny, short, black hair cut off, really sharply, like a ninety degree angle, and she like would just kind of walk around and like do mean shit all the time.
Speaker 3: But what set her apart from your garden variety evil French teacher was one particular habit. According to Locke, Madamnikole was a thief. A cheese thief. Madamnicole stole cheese from her five year old students.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I would just walk into class and it was like before she starts the lesson, it was just like, oh, do you have cheese today? And I'd say, yeah, so she it You're kind of never see. Like sometimes if I was in trouble, then she would like it would be a punishment. She takes my cheese as punishment, but it's hardly a punishment because she was gonna do it anyway. She didn't even refrigerate it. She would put it in this cabinet, like in a little wooden cabinet and had a padlock on it, like as if I was going to try to steal my cheese back.
Speaker 3: Do you believe that? I can't really believe it. It seems made up like something a cartoon villain would do.
Speaker 5: I know how it sounds belief. It's pretty ridiculous, but that's the problem, because I've told so many people and they just laugh it off. I'm running a crew floor fire.
Speaker 3: If I did this season fighting forest fires being another of locks many pursuits, so like, I'm I have to.
Speaker 5: Build some sort of credibility with my crew members. And the first time I met a bunch of my crew members, I told them this cheese story. They all started laughing and say like, oh, come on, a bullshit. So now all these people are about to work for me, the only thing they know about me is that I have this like totally false cheese story.
Speaker 3: So for Locke, the frustration isn't simply that this happened, but that no one believes that it happened. Locke has lost not only his cheese but his credibility because the joy of sharing an unbelievable story lies and ultimately convincing your audience that it's true. When you're done, you want them to think, Wow, how completely wild. Not this man is a total liar.
Speaker 5: I would just like to be able to tell the story that people believe it some sort of validations that are not.
Speaker 3: Completely insane, right, And so Locke wants me to obtain a confession from the thief herself to prove that this really went on. And what's more, he wants me to find out why it went on, because.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's anyone in the world that is that big of a fan of cheese that's killing You're risking your career, Paul. I don't know if it's worth firing over, but you know she's risky getting in trouble for this. Like, I just don't get it. I just don't understand at all what was going on there.
Speaker 3: Before I get to what was going on there, I want some reassurance that anything was going on at all, because if Locke can't even remember scheduling a phone call last week, what are the chances he accurately recalls something from when he was five. I don't want to go around falsely accusing this elderly French Canadian woman of larceny. So I asked Locke if he's still in touch with anyone else from that class who might be able to corroborate his memories.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I have a few friends. One of them, though, is like is a notorious war But then another friend, he's a pretty reliable guy.
Speaker 3: I start with lockslyer friend who rustles the phone around as liars are wont to do and then hangs up on me. But Locke's other friend, Colin, reliable as build schedules of time to talk.
Speaker 6: I've known Lock since the class that was actually talking about uh huh, And I always thought he was so weird because he would eat the whole apple, including the core. This is this kid in kindergarten that way, And that's just like kind of his like personality is kind of like hardcore like opera. He's finished an apple, there was just nothing left.
Speaker 3: In other words, Locke's a guy who never gives up on some things like apples are bringing cheese thieves to justice.
Speaker 6: He kind of commits to like weird things, like he has a hard time committing to university, but he's like so committed to getting getting to the bottom of the story with them the code. But on that front, I know Locke has these stories about her stealings. I can't confirm more than that.
Speaker 3: That Colin has no memory of any cheese stealing. What's more, his sister was also in madom Nichol's class, and she doesn't remember it either.
Speaker 6: Like, honestly, I want to say it didn't happen. But you can also tell that he's like frustrated by the fact that I don't remember knowing Locke.
Speaker 3: Colin says, it's all too likely the story is something he invented and then convinced himself was true. I'm not altogether surprised by this turn of events, but I am disappointed that the Kindergarten cheese burglar seems to be no more than a myth, and like a terrier on the scent of some buried bree, I can't help but dig a little more. As it turns out, there are two other people who were students of Madam Nicole. Locke's older brothers, so I set up some time with his middle brother, Finn. Hello, Hi, finn is Khalila.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, completely.
Speaker 3: Scott, a family trade, I guess. Finn backs up Collin's characterization of his brother as an untrustworthy, fabulous.
Speaker 4: Locks like a fantasy liar like Locke, believes the things he's lying about a lot of the time. If I were you getting a call from Lock and Lock only, I would I would hang up and.
Speaker 3: Move on speaking with Finn. It seems increasingly foolish for me to put any stock in Locke's barrel of lies still like a terrier with a metalworking apprenticeship. I forge ahead when I say, Madame Nicole, what are your associations?
Speaker 4: So immediately cheese. We all take out our stacks, and she would like, ooh, famage and come in and like grab one from somebody and then put it in her little tupperware and go back to her desk.
Speaker 3: So finn like Locke remembers the thievery, which means Madam Nicole had been stealing cheese for years before Locke even came on the scene.
Speaker 4: So weird, but it's true.
Speaker 5: That's the weirdest part of it all.
Speaker 3: I also speak with Locke's oldest brother Owen.
Speaker 5: I love cheese, my mom do that.
Speaker 4: I'm like a cheese fanatic.
Speaker 3: Owen backs up lock story too. He tells me in kindergarten he used to save his precious cheese for last, making its cruel theft all the more painful.
Speaker 5: The clearest memory is probably the first time it happened, and it was a baby bell.
Speaker 4: You know, this bread beacon in my lunch box, and so just out it goes, and.
Speaker 3: She said next see for our anglophone listeners. Mercy is the French word for thank you, And with that, I'm ready to get a confession from the vulur herself or voluse, I guess would be the feminine. I haven't taken French in a long time. I'm ready to approche Madamnicole, if only I can find her. When you're looking for something you've lost, people always tell you to retrace your steps. So I retrace lock steps back to his old school.
Speaker 6: You need to speak to someone in the main office.
Speaker 3: Please press zero to find out if Madominicole might still be teaching there.
Speaker 1: No, she's not here, she's retired.
Speaker 3: Okay, would you happen to have any contact info for her?
Speaker 1: If you send me something, I could send it to her.
Speaker 3: And so I find myself composing a delicate email, something vague and accusationless enough not to scare off Madomnikole. There's an old student of yours. I say, he still thinks about you all the time. He wants to confirm a memory. But maybe I'm not delicate enough, because weeks go by and I never hear back. The thief is on the lamb. If Madamnicole likes cheese half as much as Locke remembers, surely she must be getting her fixed somewhere, so with no other leads on how to find her, I try the only thing I can think of. I look up every cheese shop within a ten mile radius of Locke's old school and start calling. She's described to me as at an a mode from The Incredibles if you've seen that movie. I'm sorry you're asking about a specific customer, small, big glasses.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, no, thank you for calling, and have a grateful day.
Speaker 3: I do learn, though, that Madamnicole isn't the only burglar out there. She's actually part of a grand tradition of theft.
Speaker 4: There's some issues with part of me, like Parmageno agiano, like wheels of parm because you look at it like a thousand bucks a wheel, right.
Speaker 5: A lot of theft in in the past. You know you hear the stories.
Speaker 3: I have not heard the stories, but by now I'm all in. So when I get off the phone, I go looking for them. According to a report from the Consortio del Fromaggio Parmigiano Reggiano, three million dollars worth of parmesan cheese is stolen every year in Italy alone. Time magazine says cheese in general is actually the most stolen food in the world, and after my first fourteen YouTube videos on the subject, I let auto play like Jesus take the wheel.
Speaker 6: Right now, police are looking for twenty thousand pounds of stolen cheese.
Speaker 5: Stage's fifteen is in trouble with police.
Speaker 3: There are still some holes in this case, but detectives say they have stringed all the evidence together. Holes in this case say cheese. It seems like it's physically impossible for anyone reporting on cheese theft to do so without making some terrible pun and as someone reporting on this topic myself, I feel an obligation to my fellow journalists to join the cheese pun fray. But jokes like that are just really not my thing. I'd find it physically uncomfortable too. For example, characterize Madmnicole as a monster, or to say that I hope to close the caso. It makes me want to throw up to think of asking something like did you have an accomplice or did you work prob alone? You wouldn't catch me dead. Referring to all that cheese sitting in a locked cabinet as a FETA comply, I'm finally saved from the depths of my despair and cheese video induced badness by two critical pieces of information. The first comes from Locke's family. They find an old report card from that time and on it is Madamnicole's full name. The second comes from my network of spies on the street, courtesy of Locke's honest friend Colin.
Speaker 6: I was talking to my mom and she said she might have spotted her in like our neighborhood.
Speaker 3: She was walking near this big apartment building. Colin says, maybe she lives there. And when I look up Madaminicole's name, together with the address he gave me, I find a phone number.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 4: Hello, hey, lock, Hey is cle It.
Speaker 3: Is oh, the oh of a man who forgot he'd scheduled something. It's been a while since Locke and I last spoke. First he was working in Panama for a month and a half, and then he was deep in the Canadian wilderness. So I've been eagerly waiting to tell him how I finally got a hold of Madomnicole. When I caught her at home. Madomnicole told me she didn't want to be interviewed for a podcast. She's a private person, she said, and On top of that, she's not a technological person. She quote hates all the machines. She doesn't have a computer or a cell phone. I imagine even hearing the word podcast gave her the feeling of a demon entering her home. She told me that she would, however, be happy to talk to Locke and for him to relate the conversation back to me. So I am wondering if you would call her and then tell me what happens after the fact.
Speaker 5: Oh man, okay, hmm.
Speaker 3: This is not the reaction I was expecting. I thought Locke would be over the moon to hear this news, but he sounds, if anything, under the moon.
Speaker 5: So kind of the reason that I approached you guys was because it was cool, how like you'd act as the interlock eater and sort of just like manage the situation so one person doesn't have to actually sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 5: Jeezus, Yeah that's hmm.
Speaker 3: It's like Locke's reduced to a scared five year old kid again, afraid of getting in trouble with the teacher. So I offer a security blanket, an idea Madamina Cole has agreed to as well. We could have Mona, who's one of the other producers listen in on the call. Oh, if you need help figuring out what to say?
Speaker 5: Hmm, okay, that could work.
Speaker 3: Selfishly, I also want Mona there as an insurance policy, someone who can rat on lock if he slips into one of his fantasy lies. Locke and I agree to figure out the details in the coming days. But the coming days go by, and then the days that come after that, and Locke doesn't respond to any of my messages. When he finally does get in touch, it's with an email that says, a dog eat my phone. I think I'm starting to see why Locke has had conflict with his teachers. But after several more weeks of excuse making, Locke admits that he'll be free one afternoon for a phone call. So Mona and I like, Hey, this is Mona from Heavyweight.
Speaker 1: I'm here with Khalila.
Speaker 3: Hello. Oh this time we catch him waiting in line for his order at the Tim Horton's for our Anglophone listeners. That's Canada's off brand version of dunkin Donuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Sorry, I totally fixed up the day off that I had. But yeah, what what are we doing with this plan?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 3: The plan, we remind him is to call madamnicolea.
Speaker 5: We'll give her a call. Yeah, oh jeez, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: I hang up and cross my fingers. Well, Lock and Mona phone, they'll report back afterwards. For a long half hour, I sit on the floor wondering what could be going on, And after speaking with Madamnicole, Lock and Mona call me back. I'm dying to know what happened.
Speaker 5: It was amazing. Okay.
Speaker 3: Locke tells me how Madamnicole responded to his accusation right away, and she told him incredibly, Yes, she absolutely stole children's cheese.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm rattled right now.
Speaker 3: According to Madomnicole, the thievery was a teaching tool.
Speaker 5: She was really like drilling in the fact that she wanted us to know the word fromage. And she claims that everybody knows the word fromage now, so it obviously works well.
Speaker 3: I can appreciate Madaminicole's willingness to try out of the box teaching methods. Fromage does not to me seem like that hard of a word to learn. There had to be something else behind it, and it turns out there was.
Speaker 5: She said that she knew the kids were getting mad when when she would do it when she was still at Sees, and she just thought the looks on their faces were so funny.
Speaker 3: They looked stunned old Locke, like they'd just been slapped. It was, in her words, fantastic, like.
Speaker 5: In that way, you could kind of perceive it as well, she's a little crazy. It would kick out of it, devastating these kids, but at the end of the day, it was just hilarious.
Speaker 3: So it was just like a running joke with herself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a joke that made an impression. All these years later. Locke likely wouldn't even remember madominicole were it not for these cheese shenanigans. So maybe her teaching tool worked after all. Maybe she understood that you tend to remember the negative over the positive. Maybe she needed to keep things lively for herself to be able to pass that energy onto the kids. Or maybe she just saw an easy way to get her hands on some free cheese. Like she was.
Speaker 5: Adamant about how much she liked cheese. That's for sure. We weren't wrong on that front. Yeah, And she says that the parents theasy knew about it, and they also thought it was funny. So at Christmas and at the end of the year she would get gifts of like wheels and wheels and cheese. Clearly everybody else thought it was funny except for the kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think those are those are the highlights.
Speaker 3: How does it feel to have this confirmed directly from her mouth?
Speaker 5: It's cool? Like this cool that. Don't know, it feels weird to say that it's over, but like the story is complete now, like I actually.
Speaker 4: Know what happened.
Speaker 3: Lucke did fantasize some of the specific details. Madam Nicole said there was no locked cabinet, she'd eat the cheese right away, and she never thieved as a punitive measure. But he was right about the basic truth. Indeed, he had a kindergarten teacher who routinely stole her student's cheese. And next time he tells this story, if anyone thinks this man is a total liar, he can point to this episode disproof of the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Her voice is yeah, exactly how I imagine, but the tone is not. She's so friendly.
Speaker 3: Did she remember you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she did, and.
Speaker 6: My brothers too.
Speaker 5: I was telling her where they had ended up. She like seems to take a like, real genuine pleasure and joy out of knowing that some of her students are having success. And it really it turns out she's just like a genuinely great person. I couldn't have been more wrong about her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your opinion really did a one to eighty?
Speaker 5: Really did? I want to I want to redact all the all the terrible things I might have said in the past. Too too great.
Speaker 3: The cartoon villain of Locke's memories has melted into a real person. Speaking with her all these years later, he's able to see his old tea not the way a five year old would, but as another adult, Like.
Speaker 5: Now that I'm more mature, I see that this is all actually really funny. And if I were a kindergarten indeed, it's probably they're doing similar things.
Speaker 3: And in fact, Locke may be doing similar things pretty soon, because he tells me he's getting tired of his vagabond lifestyle, that he's ready to put down some roots. He's thinking about becoming a teacher, and if he does, he wants to be the fun kind, the kind that keeps his students guessing, the teacher they'll remember for years down the road.
Speaker 2: Now that the furnitures returning.
Speaker 5: To its goodwill home.
Speaker 2: Now that the last month's rent is skiming with the damage.
Speaker 3: To take this moment to deserve.
Speaker 5: If we meant it, if we chalk.
Speaker 1: Felt around for five.
Speaker 3: From things that Accidentally. This Heavyweight short was produced by Phoebe Flanagan, Mohemy mcgauker, and me Khalila Holt, along with Jonathan Goldstein. Our supervising producer is Stevie Lane. Special thanks to Pierce Singing Wendy Zuckerman, and extra special thanks to Locke's mom Dawn. Editorial guidance from Emily Condon. Bobby Lord mixed the episode with original music by Christine john K Samson, Blue Dot Sessions, Sean Jacoby and Bobby Lord. Additional music credits can be found on our website gimlipmedia dot com slash Heavyweight. Our theme song is by The weaker Lands, courtesy of Epitaph Records. Follow us on Twitter at Heavyweight, on Instagram at Heavyweight Podcast, or email us at our new address, Heavyweightshow at gmail dot com. We'll be back next week with our last episode of the season.