Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode contains spoilers four twenty eight years later, the latest edition in the twenty eight years in the twenty eight later franchise, Hello, my name is Jason gets up to you and I'm Rosie Knight and welcome back to x ray Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies.
Speaker 2: Comics and pop culture.
Speaker 1: Company from by our podcast where we're bringing you three episodes a week plus news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, the Scream Queens Common and Joela joining us for our roundtable discussion of twenty eight years late.
Speaker 2: Joel in Common, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm good, glad to be here, fabulous, Yes, very excited to talk to you about this. And then this is a war as much for the people who are in the podcast to get these.
Speaker 2: Ready as it is that you guys know.
Speaker 3: We will attempt to come to a consensus on the on the I'm not saying Mount Rushmore because I hate Mount Mushmore, so on the on the best of horror movie sequels, what are the best?
Speaker 1: On the medal podium?
Speaker 3: On the metal podium of horror movie sequels, what are your top three?
Speaker 2: What gets gold, what gets silver? Worth gets bronze?
Speaker 1: And what gets to stand next to the podium and be like I should be up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 4: What's the fourth one that we just live on the floor crying? It's almost good enough, guys. Programming note, this is good news for you. We've heard you. You love YouTube. YouTube's popular.
Speaker 2: Ever heard of it? Guess what? We're posting this video on YouTube And if.
Speaker 3: You want to see a group chat melt down NHD, you can watch our great sci fi debate on YouTube right now.
Speaker 2: Commen, what did you think of twenty eight years later?
Speaker 5: Oh my godnes Well, first of all, thank you for giving me the floor first, because I do have a lot to say about this movie. This was I think the out of all the movies I've seen so far this year, this has been the movie that has been the most thought provoking for me in the sense that I can't stop thinking about it and I really want people to go see it because I really need to talk to people about it, and that's always a hallmark of a great movie for me. I don't know about y'all, but first of all, I was my whole experience for the first half of the movie. I was squirming in my seat. I was peeking through my fingers I was doing all of that. I was terrified. They really did a good job once we went to the mainland of the island of like really ratcheting up the tension.
Speaker 6: But the things I really.
Speaker 5: Loved about the movie were just a lot of the same things I loved about the original movie, with kind of some of the concepts of the second movie kind of blended together in my opinion. So the things that reminded me of the first movie that I really really loved were the camera work. I thought the camera work in this movie was so incredible, like.
Speaker 3: We have really unique, like no one else is doing it that way use of technology.
Speaker 5: All of the action scenes were using multiple different angles as we're kind of looking at like the violence on screen, and it really added like this kind of just erraticness to watching those scenes. And also the soundtrack. I really really loved the soundtrack. Again, I didn't love the soundtracks, yes, and I didn't, you know, love the soundtrack as much in the second film, but in this movie, it really felt like they had done like a return to form here, you know.
Speaker 6: One of the things that I really.
Speaker 5: Thought was cool about the soundtrack and sound design was that when our characters are relaxing and they're not under any danger, you can still hear in the distance there's like these screaming and groaning and like this creepy like feeling that is like ratcheting up the tension.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: I have to say, like, for me, the reason I enjoyed the second movie, as we discussed a little bit more than the first movie, is because of the kind of twisted family dynamic that the second movie brought in, and they used the dad in a way that I thought was really effective.
Speaker 2: Series hates dads.
Speaker 7: I know, well, yeah, we get a really good dies horrifically, Yes, it's all about bad dads.
Speaker 3: But I think like once it's almost like once the Brendan Gleasing character dies because of the lies that I'm being told about that location and military eternal kind of toxic masculinity. There after that everything is bad dad's toxic masculinity.
Speaker 5: It's very interesting, yes, And so I think for me, the movie is really thrive when there's a bad dad kind of going on, you know, And so I love in the second movie, we have the zombie dad constantly haunting these kids as they are trying to survive, and in this movie, the dad doesn't ever become a zombie, but he is actually kind of worse than.
Speaker 2: The zombies, you know, the true villain of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, he's the He is the antagonist for Spike, surely.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: And I think for me that these movies are at best when there's like that child parent misdistrust kind of dynamic going on, and so I really enjoyed that aspect of it. I will say the things that I kind of felt like, humh, they're kind of like keeping up with the genre more than setting the tone for the genre was at first, I felt like the variants were probably inspired by like more recent like zombie video game lore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Last of Us.
Speaker 3: It was definitely the slow lows we're giving The Last of Us for sure.
Speaker 2: Yes, with the mashroom and the nature.
Speaker 5: Right and even the Alphas reminded me of like just that whole kind of pack thing. But yeah, I just there's a lot I can say about this movie, but I really fucking loved it and I want to see it again.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I would love to see it again as well. Joelle, your thoughts.
Speaker 8: Deeply fucking weird, which is like in the best possible way, like in the way that's just like in the theater, I was sitting there and I was elementary. Yeah, no, Like it's so surreal. There's a ton of They like to insert a lot of stock footage of.
Speaker 9: Britain over the years.
Speaker 8: And repeated actions, right, And something I think is so interesting about this film, Like it's clearly about Brexit and isolation, isolationism, and you know, a bit about like nationalism, maybe some racism thrown in there for good measure, but they're also making like these very interesting statements about time and the things that are in grain within our cultures that hook us, and also about how we take sweet lovely boys and tournament to horrible people, and like how do you combat against that? If you're a young man right now actively trying to engage in the world, how do you fight back against this ingrained culture? And I was so incredibly moved by these statements, and I loved how strange and weird it was. You know, Decarmen's point about the cameras, you know, and rewatching the previous films, Like if you think about the first film being like very surveillance steady, you get a lot of like high angles on people walking these deserted and it really like the.
Speaker 3: Early days of having the kind of CCTV that could track you for miles, like we all yeah now.
Speaker 8: And then in the second one, it's so military heavy that you're getting a lot of like helicopter You're like, yeah, a lot of scope shots in the second one, so you feel like you're constantly being targeted and there's always a weapon on you, and you're sort of being hunted in that sense, which winds up being much more terrifying than the zombies. Uh. In this one, you spend so much time in nature that was to really sort of get the feeling of it is like, oh, these are like other eyes staring back at me, and that it's such a creepy, like subversive way to approach a series that has been really locked into technology. There's an absence of technology in here that makes this such an interesting addition to the series and sort of strips back into like almost like the core of like humanity.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: If the first ones are sort of like our responses to situations, the third one asks is like, is this this might actually just be we It's really it's like devastating and beautiful, And then I'll just say, like so clever, the pitfalls, like the obstacles. You know, every zombie movie has great obstacles you have to get through, like a house that's protecting you and then becomes like a trap. The gas station scene is gonna stick with me forever. I loved it, just the floating gas in the room, the way that becomes you know, there are zombies outside, so they're trapped inside, but the gas is literally poisoning them. And it's just like this is such a great, fun, imaginative sequence that deals in like real world consequences of like longevity, and I just think, like the way they've built and expanded this world, I felt immediately connected to.
Speaker 9: All of it. I loved this movie. I liked it so high went yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that you touch on something that's like really important about like the notion of like nature and like how nature connects to humans, because something that is and this very specifically British thing to notice, but it has been reported on. One of the things that kind of blew me away is that when they're walking through the mainland, you get this visual of them walking down this this valley that in the middle of two valleys is a tree, right and the tree is called the Sycamore Gap tree. The tree was like one hundred and fifty years old, and I instantly recognized it and was.
Speaker 2: Like, wait, how is that there?
Speaker 3: Because that tree, which was one hundred and fifty years old in twenty twenty three was just cut down by rammom vandals, local vandals, and so they actually recreated the tree digitally as like an homage to the tree. Well, I also think there's something very interesting there about like the themes of nature and the way humans impact nature, and the choices that humans make that just like selfish choices. Act.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a yeah, sorry, go ahead, no, no, go for it, go for it, I was gonna say. I think uh. I really responded to that too as well, Joelle, And I think for me it was interesting to me how part of this the experience of this film for me was this idea that humans are kind of the side show mm hmm. On in England, on the on the islands that were formerly known as the UK, it's real nature is king once again. The infected are part of this kind of like natural landscape that includes like you know, newly replenished hordes of deer, Like like we're back in the prehistoric ages and people are just kind of one of several species that are roaming here in a kind of balance with nature. And I found that really interesting. The other thing I've been thinking a lot, a lot about is that you mentioned the intercutting of different historical scenes and movies and stock footage from World War One, et cetera. This idea of young men throughout the ages. You know, I think as an American medieval yeah, as an American, as an American, we don't. It's hard to engage with an idea of a history that goes back thousands of years as as history there does, and that kind of continuum of this visual of medieval soldiers, you know, shooting arrows at this oncoming like rushing nights and cavalry and the actual like the historical idea of the longbow, the development of the longbow in England as this you know, cutting edge weapon that helped them win you know, many famous battles, particularly during the One Hundred Years War, and then to see Spike and then the young men of this community being taught how to use this weapon that has been in you know now is back after a thousand years. All of it was was. It's very deep and I'm still thinking a lot about it. And what makes it even more interesting to me is the way this film critiques that culture. Yeah, it's at once saying, Okay, here's how we survived all these years, right, all these thousands of years, these many centuries. It's this kind of warlike face that we show people, but we maintain that warlike face by lying about, yeah, what goes on about what really happens. It's dad's taking young men out to kill and then coming back to the community and saying, yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: It was so cool.
Speaker 1: And that criticism is so interesting, you know, it makes me think of this is kind of a digression, but I'm reading this book called A Bend in the River. It's about this like a family from India that lives in Africa and they have a small they have like a small shop at this bend in the river. And one of the things that the main narrator notes is that, you know, because he's feeling like defeated by colonialism and how powerful and efficient the colonial powers are at like subjugating everybody, and they put this statue up in the town of like, you know, the heroes of colonialism, and he says, you know, the the Europeans, they want golden slaves like everybody else, but they also want to put up monuments saying how great they are and how good they were, and that's kind of like this. It's like, on the one hand, this is why you're a great culture, it's like part of this this warlike thing, but also you want to pretend that you're good at the same time. And it's that friction that has me fascinated with this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I think that's a really great point, especially as there is like a simmering, secret kind of culture that bubbles underneath what we see of the island. Like there are these hints that were really big in the tray Law of like a cult or the rules that yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Follow the masque.
Speaker 1: We never really dive into what the mask is.
Speaker 3: About, you know, and even like the way that they have the banner behind them, the kind of tapestry that's like fail we can, but like go on we must or something like. And there's definitely feels like there's some other secretive, strange, kind of folk horror ish addition.
Speaker 2: To that culture that we have yet to see. It feels like it's going to be team explore ones.
Speaker 5: I definitely, yeah, I definitely feel like it's going to be explored more on the second movie because we're literally going to be following the perspective of Spike, who is now like removed from the community, and he'll be able to like actually see how other people are living and realizing like, oh, maybe where I'm from is actually kind of fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's the weird place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, And we kind of talked about this when we were in pre pro. But the trailer for this movie was like unbelievably popular, became the most watched horror trailer in twenty twenty four, had sixty million views, second biggest.
Speaker 2: I think this is Sony. I think this is meant to be.
Speaker 3: Second biggest horror trailer of all time, but behind it Chapter two with ninety six million views. But as we were kind of talking about, there is some stuff in the trailer that we don't see in the finish movie, which we know is common, but here feels maybe like a little bit more of an interesting kind of twist. Like Joel and Jason, I know, you guys were looking back at that trailer before we started recording, Joelle, could you talk a little bit about your feelings on kind of because the trailer does lean into just how weird this movie is and how surreal, but it also does showcase stuff that we don't see in the finish movie in a way that feels like maybe not a studio choice and maybe more of a filmmaker choice.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Possibly, I would be curious to see who got final cut on the trailers. Sometimes a director can negotiate with the studio to have final cut on the trailer and they get to like decide what it's gonna look like. But a lot of times that happens is you just get an ass load of footage and then they're like make it a trailer, and so you don't really know like which cuts are going to be in the movie, and so that's why you get a discrepancy sometimes, Like looking at the stuff, everything looked like scenes we saw from what I could tell you, different angles. Yeah, Like it's appeared to me to be different angles, different takes.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: Maybe at one point we were like we weren't sure how this character was gonna enter. I didn't see anything to me that looked like, oh, this might be from the second installment of this series. Uh, but I do think that the choice to really lean into the culti horror vibes was a good one because we love we love a mystery, you know. I really feel like we're in a moment as a culture right now, a lot of cold docs, a lot of learning about like what the TikTok houses are like in real life. And I'm okay with it because I think if you had tried to sell it as the political zombie film that it is, people would have been like, this is weird and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, one million percent.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 3: Also, another thing that's really different about this movie, and Jason, after your kind of thoughts about the colonial aspects.
Speaker 2: And the kind of looking back at history, I'd love to know your thoughts on this.
Speaker 3: But also like, this movie doesn't really have like a lot of guns. It doesn't really have a lot of military It doesn't have a lot of military presence.
Speaker 2: The hordes are further away, there is a lot.
Speaker 3: Less urgency because if they'd have stayed on the island, they probably wouldn't have interacted with the zombie. So how do you feel like that changes the film? Because it is a different in that way the status quo is very different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the first two movies are kind of infused with this sadness of a world that's gone on. This movie, it's almost saying, hey, this is a you know, these people are living with their hanging on to life, like buy their fingernails. But doesn't it have its advantages too? Doesn't it have something to offer as well? Isn't nature beautiful? Like look at how the deer are back, there's no.
Speaker 2: In their nature.
Speaker 1: Again, it struck me and I'm am I right about this. There is no human on human vibe. There's no non infected human on human violence in this film.
Speaker 6: Except for when except for when Age slaps his kid.
Speaker 2: Right, there's no.
Speaker 1: Soldiers killing other soldiers.
Speaker 2: There's no un of like, yes are the West. It's even the monkster and the human and.
Speaker 1: Who is And this is even the movie that's seeks the the you know, the entrant into this franchise that seeks to humanize the infected more than any of the other ones. Oh to the point that the the alpha Samson is never killed. He's only given name so that they can get away.
Speaker 2: And so I think.
Speaker 1: That the lack of guns and the separation and the time that has passed, and this we get this wonderful juxtaposition when we get the wonderful comic relief when when edic shows up. But I think that, you know, I think that there is an aspect to this film and this story that you know, in the era of climate change that's almost saying like, hey, isn't a lack of technic, Like it's not what anybody would immediately leap for a world in which we eschew technology and go back to this kind of more in the land, kind of unibomber uh, you know, manifesto type of lifestyle. But does it not have something to offer as well? And that was I think that's really interesting to.
Speaker 9: Pick up on that, Jason.
Speaker 8: I really feel like the first two movies are about surviving and trying to get back to an equilibrium. This feels like it's dead and you have to let it go, like the momentary thing has hit so hard over and over again, and knowing that's.
Speaker 1: Going to be the.
Speaker 8: Main point of the next film. I guess it's called Oh my god.
Speaker 6: There's Temple, Bone Temple.
Speaker 1: I'm really why not Bonehenge?
Speaker 2: Why we call it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's our official Combo T shirt for the next one Bone.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 8: I think like the idea of there's life after this, but only if you accept this one is gone, especially if we look at like our kids last like Spike's last decision is really like I'm gonna get this baby to safety and then actually all of you.
Speaker 9: Yeah beautiful, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's really clever, and it's also quite surprising because of how much we are used to like with whether it's like the Road or the Last of Us or these ideas of like or walking dead, like oh well, even if it's a kid, they're gonna take the baby with them and it's gonna be this kind of like lone wolf cub situation. And it's said He's like, no, I'm like twelve, like you guys, look after the baby, and I'm going to see my my weird stuff.
Speaker 1: He's following in the footsteps of his father and just kind of yeah, the child child, are you right, because he is well, he can't take he can't.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know to keep it a baby alive.
Speaker 3: But okay, before we take a quick break, this is a very weird film, So just quick predictions. Will the general audience embrace this like, well, are you guessing for an you think it's gonna be a yes, Jason were I think it's gonna be a cinema school. I think this is gonna be a B plus. I think it's gonna be high.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be a cinema score a because I think the interesting parts of as we mentioned, the kind of like interesting things to think about, are so well layered under zombie action that you know there they will not hinder anybody going to the cinema to see it. And I think it's been a great horror We're in a great horror spring and horror summer, and I think there's nothing else like it in the movie theater no, and that we've reached a point where the fans of the series who are adults will go see it, and you've got the younger horror generation that will be interested as well. And I think it's gonna be I think it's going to bang.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Give and I think it's been a decent sized hit for the summer.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'm gonna be a cynic. I what everything Jason said to be true. I will want this reality to come to fruition. I have a feeling it's going to do great the first week, and then people will be like, I don't get it and be confused by it.
Speaker 9: No, I think that yeah because I think yeah.
Speaker 8: Like because because it's strange, it might be hard for some people to connect to. But then also there's I don't want to say a lack of violence overall. They have the zombies there there, there's some cool sequences, but it is not the Bang bang, shoot them up, run giant hoards, blood everywhere, like.
Speaker 9: Vibes of the past.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 8: It's different, I think in all of the best ways, and with keeping the tone and like affection that those other films had for the genre. Like it's all still there, but it's displayed very differently. And I wonder if, like your average Joe doesn't I think the cinema under if you're on like a letterbox sort of situation. I think that crew is going to be into it, but I just what I'm worried the jet Pop's gonna be like, I don't get this weird arty film.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean I think how hot? How low do you think? I think it's good enough that the cinema school. The lowest is going to get is going to be like a c I don't think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would be shocked.
Speaker 2: Yeah that would be shocking. Yeah yeah, Okay, Calmin, what do you think?
Speaker 5: I think it. I think it'll get a bee. I I feel pretty good about it. I've heard, you know, people are really confused about the ending. But I do want to say, as the average.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to talk about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as the average cinemager, you know person.
Speaker 6: I loved it. I had a lot of fun watching it.
Speaker 5: I didn't fully understand it until I started talking to you guys about it, because Jason knows a lot more about world history than I do, Rosie knows a lot more about UK history than I do, and so I think as an American who is kind of like not as tuned into those things as as everyone else, some of that stuff went over my head. But then after I underst stood it, I was like, oh, that makes this is like so it's like you know, Galaxy brain.
Speaker 6: I was like, whoa, you know, Like, this is amazing.
Speaker 5: So I think it's gonna be one of those movies that might be like kind of like a Bee at first, but then over time people are really gonna be like, Wow, this is an amazing movie because it is such an art house movie for a horror movie, and even if you don't understand what's going on, you can appreciate the kind of craftsmanship that went into making a movie. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's talk a bit more about that after we go to a quick break from our sponsor's hell oil company.
Speaker 1: We're back, We're back. Let's talk about the cast in this because incredible cast. First of all, I was a little worried initially that I was like, is Jody Comer just going to be sick in bed for this entire It was worrisome, right, and then that's absolutely not know what happens and she becomes very ass, kicks ass and becomes, you know, kind of like the major emotional catalyst of this film. You know, it's really through her life that we understand what this movie is about. What struck you about any of the performances in this Let's start with you, Carmen.
Speaker 6: I once again I'm amazed by the child's actors.
Speaker 9: And Alfie.
Speaker 6: I thought, yes, Alfie, is that the boy who plays.
Speaker 5: Spike Williams yea Al Williams plays Spike, and I also thought even the opening scene are called open with those that room of little blonde kids.
Speaker 6: That looked like with you, they did a great job freaking a yeah.
Speaker 1: They looked so authentically scared.
Speaker 5: The girl was like holding back her tears while she was like hearing what was going on. And so I was stunned by the child. I'm always when when child doctors do an amazing job, I'm like, hell, yeah, yeah, But that was the highlight for me, Joelle, what about you, Joelle?
Speaker 9: As we know, I have number one Aaron Taylor Johnson. Stan this conversation and we were talking a little bit.
Speaker 8: So Danny was at our screening and she had mentioned like she was looking at billboards and she was like, it's so weird to me that, like on the billboards you have Alex Garland and Danny Boyle, but not Jodi Comer. Aaron Taylor Johnson now atj has had a string of not great movies that he is the lead in, which is a problem. But I still think he's a household name. I think like your average parent is like I remember Erir Taylor Johnson.
Speaker 9: I know that kid. To not put him on the poster at all.
Speaker 3: Now, no, no, no, this is not I don't think that is a reflection of.
Speaker 2: Either of those actors.
Speaker 3: I think it is a choice to play into the art house nature and this huge moment of these two big visionary British creators like working together again and to put the focus on that rather than who is in the movie. I don't think it's a Jodi Coma issue, or an Aaron Taylor Johnson or a Ray Finds issue. I think it's a I think it's like an artistic choice to be like, hey, the artisans behind this movie are the people who are gonna like be why you see the movie? Now?
Speaker 2: Is that true? I think the class should have got shout outs, but I think.
Speaker 3: It's less about their quality and more about like a message that they were trying to put across the creators.
Speaker 8: Especially if you think about like time on screen, they're pretty like the like the three adult leads, uh share about an equal amount of time. So there really is no clear like lead other than Alfie, who's.
Speaker 9: You know, an unknown child actor.
Speaker 8: And so it does make sense to me, and it's kind of again I keep saying it, I will keep seeing it. I really think movies are back in a way that feels so tangible and real to me. I'm like the kids, like, you don't know what going to the movies? You selling my father, don't know what going through movies? You sound like it's so freaking cool, Like you would be there like two or three times a week. You have your like weekend warriors, Like just going to the movies used to be the it thing, and so like, I love this idea of us continuing to celebrate creators all of like an early nineties sort of resurgence of indie film. And I think given the state of the film industry, like that's where a lot of people have been predicting it's going to go, is that we're gonna come back to these like smaller, like artist driven film projects. So that's exciting. But on the actor front, I just listen Aaron Taylor playing a bad dad I thought would end it for me.
Speaker 9: It didn't.
Speaker 6: I was still into it.
Speaker 8: I was like, wow, this is crazy, still hot as hell, and it does such a good job. Like I was really moved by this performance that he gave.
Speaker 1: Is so.
Speaker 9: It's just so like tense and then.
Speaker 8: Out of control and sort of fearing back and forth between those elegantly, you know, not ever really going over the top. It's really hard to sort of control like out of control on screen. It's a difficult thing for an actor to do. And then for Jody Darling, Jody like best like awesome, like be out of your mind and so convincingly, and then coming back and also doing these like really like intense like fight scene, which is not like a challenging sequence like we're used to, but in the way of like.
Speaker 9: You guys, fake fighting.
Speaker 8: Is hard, like trying to convincently throw a person's head into a wall. It's really challenging, and she just gives it one hundred and always lands. I just I'm as sounded by not just the performances, but I think the writing of these characters is always so good in this series, Like you're always like even cheating Dad the worst in twenty eight weeks later, I hate him so much that Charter is so intriguing, Like, Wow, this is an actual coward who can stand on nothing. He'll lie to to do everything, and then makes the dumbest decision to kiss his wife. You're just like, what, this man is an idiot, But I'm so Intriguedally is as a person that I enjoy following his story.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Let's okay. Before before we start, then we hit a question. We had the idea of starting a X ray vision.
Speaker 10: Offshoot called what was the what was the name of Hot Hot Extra Vision Hot topic Patreon only behind a paywall in which we just gossip about stuff.
Speaker 1: So let me just like in the most put it out there. First of all, I agree with you atj like why he's not a star is fascinating, Like I'm a super handsome guy, incredible actor, like this crazy range. But yes, this is a hard role because he's got to be on the one hand, he's got to come off initially like oh man, I wish my dad was like this, and then he's got to show you the brittleness of this facade that he's putting up, and then it's got a crack. And it's in a lot of ways an unforgiving role because you realize halfway through his performance that like, you hate this guy, and and we're wondering, like, wow, okay, I believe that he's not a star, and I believe that's kind of like I agree that there's like a household man. Now we understand who he is, but I do think objectively he's not a star or things like you know, Craven wouldn't have happened, you know, not one his fault, but there's other things like that. And it struck me that I think part of the missing ingredient is and we talked about this before the mics went on, you look at an actor who's this talented, who is this good looking. It is so notable to me that he does not have a role in his resume in which he falls in love with the with the coast, with the character other character in the story, or they fall in love with him. There's no role that he has played where being in love is part of it, part of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it seems.
Speaker 1: Like such a hole to me, because that's part of what makes you a star, you know, It's like the Legends of the Fall with you know, for Brad Pitt, it's that kind of thing that like elevates you, even if it's it's not like a critically acclaimed movie. It widens your appeal. And it's that widening of appeal that makes you a star. And I think that's missing for Aaron.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely is an I think my argument would be, and I'm also an Aaron Taylor Johnson stan My argument would be where his career is at right now, he is more of a really great character actor because whenever he shows up in something right like he was in he showed up in Tenet, a movie that everybody hated, but the moment he showed up, You're like, oh, this is so interesting and dynamic and like he's basically just playing like a military grunt, but you're so interested in the way he chooses to play it.
Speaker 2: And then the same with.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, he had an absolute breakout character role. Also another very horny role for Aaron because in this he does he does continue eat out summer as we are now calling.
Speaker 2: Sinners.
Speaker 3: Ah, everyone should eat out the summer, guys.
Speaker 2: In horror movies. We got sinners, we got this movie.
Speaker 3: And in nos Varatu, you know, he loves his wife so much that he like fucks so when she's dead. I mean, very insane characterracter type performances. And the other one that I think about a lot is the really honestly like not great movie The Kingsman, which was like the third Kingsman movie that's about the King's.
Speaker 2: Prequel, The King's man, and it's.
Speaker 3: About like and they tried to do like a weird Avengers style, like yes, it was really bad. In that movie, Aaron Taylor Johnson shows up no joke, like twenty minutes and it is the most heartbreaking, unbelievable performance.
Speaker 2: It's all about like the horrors of World War One.
Speaker 3: I think that when he shows up and gives his all, he just makes a movie shine. But I have yet to see a movie that puts him in the lead that has taken advantage of that ability.
Speaker 9: And I think the kick Ass, right, yeah, kick Ass.
Speaker 8: He's such a standout like star, there's no there's some romantic chemistry, but it's not the sort of like sweeping like grand central part of the plot.
Speaker 9: So kind forget yeah their kids exactly and.
Speaker 8: So like it's crazy because after seeing that movie, I thought, oh, for sure, like this guy's got next, Like he's got all.
Speaker 9: Of the components. It would behoove him. I think to take sort of a sweeping We do have.
Speaker 8: Anakarin in a but that movie's not great and for whatever reason, not sparking.
Speaker 2: They do not have a lot of chemistry.
Speaker 3: And also it's a very specific like Joe Wright was really in his like you know.
Speaker 2: Yes moment, like.
Speaker 3: It's not necessarily about that Aaron Taylor Johnson in a rom com Why haven't I seen it? Or it seems like it would make so much sense apart from when he was in his whole career began with angus thongs of full frontal snogging where he was the lead for romantic Lead.
Speaker 2: It was based on an English book Shocked.
Speaker 1: Me, Let Me, Let me just throw something at you, Normal People, but it starred Aaron Taylor Johnson.
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm unwell.
Speaker 1: Where the role that that made us think there is some juice.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I'm saying if Aaron Taylor Johnson is in Normal People and he and then Aaron Taylor Johnson gets crossing Gladiator too, we might have been having a different discussion about what might.
Speaker 2: Have been what might happen to me?
Speaker 1: I'm like, where is the where's that? Where's the normal people? And we are in this kind of era of like there's a lot of romance fiction. There's a lot of romance like it's.
Speaker 11: In a way, yeah it hasn't before, in a way, where's the story for this, like incredibly fucking guy, It's a mystery to me what.
Speaker 5: About Johnson and Baby Girl.
Speaker 9: For the role the controversy Spicy Carmon.
Speaker 2: Get out.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say anything else.
Speaker 12: I'm not gonna say anything album save for hot topic, Babe subscribers. Okay, Aaron Johnson he is.
Speaker 2: He does give his.
Speaker 3: Last big moment as he kind of runs into the sea and he screams after his son, and you kind of feel this lot control and you think, wow, this is such a powerful way to end this really serious movement. What could ever happened change that smash Cat meet the Jimmy's Baby. How did you guys feel about the final five minutes?
Speaker 8: I think I grabbed you and I screening, I was like, what is screaming?
Speaker 6: I was like, what's happening?
Speaker 2: What this?
Speaker 9: And you don't know there's a sequel coming?
Speaker 2: Like you'd wait, and also like why is it this?
Speaker 3: Another connection to Sinners here is that Jack O'Connell stars in like an insane guest role. Now we do not get as much of him as we do with Remiic obviously because Remick is the antagonist of Sinners, but it is unbelievable and he shows up in his purple tracksuit with his tabor on and he's like, oh hi, I'm Jimmy the pals and and they kind of jump and they have this crazy action sequenced like Kung Fu fight moment.
Speaker 2: For me, I did.
Speaker 3: I I really did like this movie a lot, and I was looking at it from a very objective like, Wow, this is so well made. I think that ending just kind of tied everything together for me of like, you know what, you guys are really going for it, and that's when we kind of that's when we learn that Jimmy is not Jamie the bad dad played by Aaron Taylor Johnson.
Speaker 2: We assume throughout the.
Speaker 3: Movie that's who he is is he's the survivor of the Telly Tubby massacre, let's call it.
Speaker 2: And uh no, it's actually not.
Speaker 3: It's Jack O'Connell's Jimmy and his team of track suited Jimmy who will wear blonde wigs. And my theory because of how much they use VHS footage and b ROW footage that I pitched on mine and Jason's recap is I think that like they basically are going to be revealed to have like taught themselves how to fight via totally love and please can I go a little further.
Speaker 1: I would love it, I think, because I'm like, when did did Guy Richie direct the last five?
Speaker 2: Right? Truly?
Speaker 1: And so I almost wonder if there's not gonna be a flashback where we realized like they had Teletubbies and Snatch.
Speaker 2: Love thats too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's so much happening because Miami heat thought was like, oh, this is very like King George, all like the animated Robinhood. Then you get very Robinhood asked of, like hey, we're a gang of like not kinds, but like people traveling protecting folks, and like it's it's such like a mash like a dichotomy mashup of like two distart like and.
Speaker 3: Just visually it looks insane competitive rest of.
Speaker 1: And then there's I mean, the fact that you have people doing backflips into like martial in the.
Speaker 3: Craziest like color track suits like the brightest most.
Speaker 2: Side and I love them.
Speaker 1: There's this like introduction to of Jimmy's exaggerated kind of posh persona.
Speaker 3: Where I'm su Jimmy like I'm Jow and he asks, you know, very politely, well, there's too many now coming, is it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: If we step in and just like asks like, hey, can we get involved in the fight, like it is so weird. I do want to row, Yeah, it's your gen pop like question. I do wonder how gen pop will take this because it is a hard laughter.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, I think for some people it's gonna like ruin the movie.
Speaker 6: That's what I've been hearing.
Speaker 3: But I feel like I feel like one I'm gonna reveal, and I just kind of a light trigger warning it because this person was just so evil in real life, but I'm gonna reveal the dark influence on this that I think makes it deeply into the thing. There was a guy who was a very famous kids TV presenter in England called Jimmy Saville who wore a track suit like that, who was one of the most abhorrent humans who's ever lived, like a complete monster. Don't google it if you don't want to know, google it if you do want to know. I'm not going to get into it anymore. But the fact that this character is called Jimmy grew up in the early two thousands wear's the tracksuit. He had a show called jim Will Fix It where he went around helping kids. That was kind of guyes so I do think that on a British pop culture level that is not an accident. So I wonder if in England it will give people that kind of unsettling feeling.
Speaker 2: For me, I didn't read that.
Speaker 3: Like when I watched the movie, I was just loving how weird it was, but afterwards I was like, Okay, there's no way, sir Jimmy Jimmy Savile's knighted. I don't think there's any way that this is not some kind of again, another weird, dark reflection about TV and movies and how they raise us, and also like what's better without technology or what don't they know? Yeah, I'm not surprised, and I think, if I'm not mistaken, in two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: They would not have known the truth of Jimmy Savill. That's the either thing.
Speaker 3: So it hadn't I don't think it had broken yet, so they could have grown up thinking that this guy is like a good person and that like is something they remember from being kids. So I think there's like a lot of extra layers to it, which I'm hoping at least in international markets or in English markets, or maybe I don't know, maybe the TikTok kids who love true crime, who kind of combo that with horror. Maybe there's a world where once it's explored, it hits people a little deeper. But it is like, I do not blame the people I've seen on IMDb or letterbox two are like, what the fuck was.
Speaker 2: The last five minutes? I don't want to see the next movie now, But.
Speaker 3: I think that they're I think it's creepy on many levels and could hint at many different versions of kind of like where the story goes next.
Speaker 5: I thought the way that they oh, oh sorry, I was gonna say, I thought it was really cool. The way that they hinted at Jimmy. Throughout the movie we see Jimmy written on the back of the person that has been hung up inside the house.
Speaker 6: We see it says on.
Speaker 5: One of the barns from one of the area Jimmy comes from the clouds or something like that. And once, even though I had no idea what the fuck was going on, I was like, Oh, this is so cool.
Speaker 6: They tied it all. They tied it all.
Speaker 3: That was the thing as well, because also they when we when the dad Aaron Taylor John says, Jamie and our kids Spike are like going through you saw that the house had Jimmy scraped on the side, so like you were like, well, that's the reason he knows because obviously when he was younger, he would come here and you know, but it's not him. And yeah, I'm very excited to see how that's typically lands.
Speaker 2: Because I also like for someone who is you know.
Speaker 3: More of a less of a gem pop viewer and more of like a weird B movie viewer. I actually think that and kind of sells it more and will make people like intrigued.
Speaker 2: So yeah, how intrigued are we.
Speaker 3: Going forward to twenty eight years later? Bone Temple, Like, how excited are you for that?
Speaker 2: Jason?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm very excited. I mean, I'm like you, you know, I'm one of these letterbox coastal elites.
Speaker 3: Correct, how watched two hundred and sixty seven movies this year?
Speaker 2: Baby, I don't do anything important.
Speaker 1: Who loves, you know, nothing more than a huge swing in a movie, even if it doesn't land, you know, like listen, I love a big bucket of popcorn movies. We obviously love Marvel movies and comic book movies and some of the most popular stuff out there. And maybe because of that. I love when movies like this do something super super weird. So very excited, super excited that Killian Murphy's coming back. I wonder who else will come back from that original cast. Yes, and I'm really excited to see again this kind of Canterbury tales, like wandering through what this island is like? Now, I'm very excited for it.
Speaker 2: What about you, Joelle?
Speaker 9: I can't wait Nia DaCosta is here, guys.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love the Candy Man remake.
Speaker 9: I thought it was effing brilliant.
Speaker 8: I cannot wait to see what she does with this, and especially given like where like the Sharp Turn sort of allows her to do whatever she wants artistically in her approaching the next one. It's sort of really kicked open the door to be like, bring your sense of self to the page. And so I'm excited to see what she does with it.
Speaker 3: And my understanding as well is like the Bone Temple is actually already completely filmed. They send them back to back, so you know it is gonna definitely interconnect.
Speaker 2: With this space.
Speaker 3: Whereas the third movie, as yet un named, has not even been written yet, so I think we're in an interesting kind of into the Spider Verse, like.
Speaker 2: When will that third movie come out?
Speaker 9: Colmon?
Speaker 2: How about you? Are you ready for the Bone Temple?
Speaker 6: Or I'm making January? I will be there.
Speaker 3: It's not even that far away, guys, We're gonna be that.
Speaker 2: I love January as a yes.
Speaker 3: When I'm sad because Christmas is over, I want to be seeing a good horror movie in the cinema. I like, yes, I'm depressed, show me something bleak and upsetting.
Speaker 5: I'm most excited to see where they take like all of the cult aspects from the original community.
Speaker 6: What are we going to learn about that?
Speaker 5: What are we going to learn about the Jimmy's and what are we going I do want to talk really quickly, just for a second, if you'll let about the arg rel.
Speaker 2: Let's quickly bring arg back because.
Speaker 5: I think it's coming back because it ties into what I've got to say here. Because one of the interesting things. So there was an ergy for this for this, which is a website that kind of like companions and gives you more information about the movie if you want to look into it. It's called rage leaks dot com and it's like a WikiLeaks and the password to it is momentumory and it shows you all of these kind of like external reports that are being done on the island from just people that are flying over or observing with drones and stuff like that. Apparently the outside world has absolutely no idea what's going on on the island of the former United Kingdom, which I'm very very interested to see how that ties in as well, because the website kind of gives you the hint that people are so fed up with with the mystery that they have just started leaking information to the public. So I'm interested to know if we zoom out at all and see like a little bit more of what the rest of the world is doing. We got a hint of it with Eric, But how.
Speaker 2: Was some of the funniest most stuff.
Speaker 3: In the movie kind of notion of how much you can be left behind if you're just out of social culture for like twenty eight years. They still have mobile phones, they still have plastic surgery, they still have all this other stuff. Like I think that it's really interesting, and I will say, uh, you know an arg guys, it was very popular. I'm sure all our listeners will remember the famous Dark Night ARG. But I think maybe these kind of websites, these kind of alternate reality gaming, kind of like how do you install someone into the world of the movie is coming back? Because there was also a very scary bring Her Back Yes website that me and Carmen got to each other late at night and we're like, I gotta look at it, like I gotta wait, I gotta wait till the morning. So I love the idea that that is, uh, that that's gonna come back and and kind of feed into that stuff. So yeah, I'm excited. Keep doing fun digital marketing guys. It's yeah, makes me feel young again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, we're gonna take a quick break, come back with our metal Podium of Horror sequels.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: Okay, Metal Podium of Horror Sequels. Let's quickly go around the horn. What do we think our best horror movie sequel is of all time? And then let's see if we can kind of slap.
Speaker 2: These maybe we can agree together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's what I think we'll do. Okay, rosielet's start with you. What's your best.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna go for one that I know Jason, you are gonna agree with me on at least I'm gonna not say a silly one like Shax or something like that. Though I do love that movie. I'm gonna say and Dead because iconic, I think it's up there. I think it's a capitalist kind of satire in a way that movies like twenty eight years Later are still taking from.
Speaker 2: And yeah, just fantastic movie.
Speaker 1: I agree that that should probably be up there. We'll keep track of that. Okay, so we've got that Carmen, your greatest horror sequel of all time?
Speaker 5: Well, this one might be controversial because it is technically like an action sci fi horror.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say aliens, Aliens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I now we're going Now, we're going back into our previous round table genrefy this.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well you're gonna pick it, will allow it, Okay, Jason, what about you?
Speaker 1: Those are two great ones. And since those are off the board.
Speaker 10: I'm too.
Speaker 3: Iconic, I would say as well that that's pretty That would be pretty gold leaning in my opinion, because I do think it's essentially like the first kind of requel to where they kind of remade the movie with a bigger budget but then gave it this but sort of like allowed it to expand and without that second movie, I don't know if we're ever going to get like the ash Vessus, the Evil Dead and all those very impactful sequel.
Speaker 2: That's a really good Joelle. Are you thinking that? She's like, what can I do to?
Speaker 9: I got this okay?
Speaker 8: So at first I was gonna say teach, but then I was like, that's two action films with that to decide two sci fi about because I really like the way that that character introduction.
Speaker 9: Favorite.
Speaker 2: Wow, I got one of my own favorite movies.
Speaker 9: I think I'm gonna land on Final Destination five.
Speaker 2: I love that choice. I love that choice. The review of the prequel nature of.
Speaker 8: You're watching it and you're like, oh my, that's so good, Like the whole franchise is back, and then the ending cols you just like smacking the face.
Speaker 9: You're like, my god, what have they done?
Speaker 8: Like if you're already a fan of this franchise, it's just like you feel like you've ascended when you finished watching.
Speaker 1: That Movie's true.
Speaker 3: You know something else I love about that movie is I feel like I when I'm talking about it in this context, obviously I know what happened, but every time I watched the movie, I feel like I get to the end, and I'm like, oh, yeah, cool, what happens that? I It's like some kind of hypnotism. Okay, Jason as a sports expert, what is your where do you see these podiums lining up?
Speaker 2: And then we'll see if anyone just screams in horror?
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's let's do it like this. I agree with you, Rosie. I think Evil did too, because of the indie nature of it, because it kind of created a mini movement in horror at the time, and because it remains I mean, it took everything that was great about the first one and just elevated it. Let's let's put and it's let's also acknowledge there are many sequels, and there's you know, Horror is a sequel, John Enra, there are not many that are better than the original. Like that doesn't happen very much. Okay, So I'm gonna I think Evil Dead to probably on the gold mm hmm. I want to give it to Here's the thing, is Aliens enough of horror I'm.
Speaker 2: Putting I'm putting Aliens on the side of Brian. And that's why I.
Speaker 1: Kind of agree, because I feel like it's not horror enough to get all the way onto the.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna so I am to put I'm gonna put on in the Dead Silver, and then I would put.
Speaker 8: F. D.
Speaker 1: Sinco in the Bronze, and then I would aliens sadly crying assid tears to the side of the podium. But listen, love the movie. Think of it more as a sci fi as a military sci fi. But it definitely.
Speaker 2: Explained the science. In the fast fifteen minutes though of the alien.
Speaker 6: They explain how she's still alive. But they.
Speaker 1: Okay, do we have any quickly as we wrap up, do we have any sequels that we feel like should at least be mentioned here?
Speaker 5: You know, I have to say I actually like the sequel to thee.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, agree, I was conjuring the second the Second and the Second Country movie where it's an that's really good.
Speaker 2: I would also say, like, I do think there is a space for like campy horror sequels.
Speaker 3: I do think Jason X is like at.
Speaker 2: The New BEV.
Speaker 3: We got to do just the sequels episode honestly, because even like one of my favorite movies of all time that I saw in a double bill that I swear to God was like programmed for me at the New BEV with Jason x is Hell Raiser.
Speaker 2: Black One, which is the fourth one.
Speaker 3: Adam Scott in it as like a sexy Sato masochistic like murderer who gets the the.
Speaker 2: I love any scream scream.
Speaker 1: I think could scream. I also could scream.
Speaker 2: Four is up there, Like Emma Roberts is so good in that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's so many guys, but I think I like, I like the chaos of the one. It's like half So let's just keep it like gold Able, Dead two Fair, I love Don and Dead, fantastic movie, Brun's final.
Speaker 2: That's the Nation five. Yeah, well you're gonna do about it. That's all.
Speaker 1: We scream queens.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, LUs to have you here, Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: Thursday, on Extra Vision, we're diving into the first three episodes of Ironheart on Disney Plus Bye x Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Cortman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean, Jonathan and fay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator,