Speaker 1: If you have your own story of being in a cult or a high control group.
Speaker 2: Or if you've had experience with manipulation or abusive power that you'd like to share.
Speaker 1: Leave us a message on our hotline number at three four seven eight six trust.
Speaker 2: That's three four seven eight six eight seven eight seven eight.
Speaker 1: Or shoot us an email at trust Me pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Trust me, Trust trust Me.
Speaker 4: I'm like a swat person. I've never lied to you.
Speaker 2: I've never had a live If you think that one person has all the answers, don't.
Speaker 3: Welcome to trust Me.
Speaker 2: The podcast about cults Extreme belief of manipulation from two Da Vinci d coders who've actually experienced it. I'm Lila Blanc and I'm Megan Elizabeth. Today our guest is Gareth Gore, journalist and author whose new book Opus is about Opus Day, an ultraconservative Catholic sect, it's harmful practices, its history of dark money, and its connections to modern day right wing American politics. He's going to talk to us about how he came to the story while investigating the shady practices at bank in Spain, the history of the group and its leader's goals of recruiting elite members of society and its cultic practices like living in gender segregated homes with the highly controlled life and doing body mortification rituals.
Speaker 1: Yikes, And he is just so funny. He found the story from doing financial journalism.
Speaker 5: It's free, it makes no sense.
Speaker 3: It's a weird way to get there.
Speaker 5: It's such a journey.
Speaker 1: He'll also tell us about how members with groom kids as young as eleven or twelve to become people of influence in the group, How there are a number of reports of trafficking low income young women and girls in various countries to exploit their labor at opus dairy treats, How some people were fed a cocktail of prescription drugs they didn't need, and whether there's been any accountability for these practices, which the group tries to officially distance themselves from.
Speaker 2: Plus it ties to prominent US conservative activist Leonard Leo, who's had an outside influence in naming three of our current Supreme Court appointees, and who's tied to Project twenty twenty five seeking to quote crush liberal dominance.
Speaker 3: There's so this is jam packed.
Speaker 2: So much we cover in this interview, and we still didn't cover so much of what.
Speaker 5: He in the book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we might have to have him back on.
Speaker 2: We did talk about that after the interview, but yes, lots of stuff in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you said, it is the real life DaVinci code, you know, and he really found himself in quite a little quandary.
Speaker 5: And it's very interesting.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I've been telling so many people since we did this interview, did you know Opus Day was real?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 2: Have you heard about Opus Day? I'm like a total I'm like obsessed with it now. I had no idea so well before we go into opus territory. Yeah, Meg, Megan, what is your cultiest thing of the week.
Speaker 1: Well, I talk about it a little bit in our interview. I keep referencing the Octopus. It's on Netflix. It's called American Conspiracy, the Octopus Murders, and I did not have high hopes for it. Turns out it's one of the creepiest, most interesting things I've ever seen. If you're into that kind of stuff, fast forward me talking and jump right into it. If you're not, then listen to me now, because basically at the end you go on this whole long journey with him, and every rock you turnover, there's so much dirt. There's crime, bribes, and there's murders, and there's all of these things.
Speaker 3: But at the very.
Speaker 1: End, he kind of is just like, I can't live in this world where I think about it as all connecting and not trust anything.
Speaker 5: And maybe somebody.
Speaker 1: Else would take a different takeaway from it, but that's the takeaway that I got, which is just like, yeah, you can't even if you're like, damn like every industry. I also watched the p Diddy doc on TMZ because it's in the mister What's the guy from the guy from WWE?
Speaker 5: There's a new doc about him.
Speaker 2: Where he was just like McMahon, Vince McMahon, sex trafficking scandal, that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't.
Speaker 3: Heard anything about this.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I didn't watch it.
Speaker 1: You know, there's this whole dock on him where he was just blurring the lines between his character and TV. And then the boss in real life been doing unspeakable things to people, and you know, leaders do that a lot, and it's easy to just be like, oh my god, every single thing in the world has been overtaken by predators and everything's connected and they're all crossing sex slaves to each other. It's like easy for me to go there, and I don't want to live in that place.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, no, I think that's a really good takeaway. And also like there are predators everywhere, but there are predators everywhere because humans inevitably will produce predators, not because all predators.
Speaker 3: Are conspiring together to you know.
Speaker 2: Like but but I think it's the point you made is more important, which is like we talked to former conspiracy theories about that before, Like it doesn't serve you in any way, Like if something is unjust take an action and do something about it. And if you don't have any power, then why live in that constant state of distrust and suspicion and anxiety and depression.
Speaker 1: That's what I've never really heard us say that before, but I'm hearing it now. I Mean, I get if you've really made a connection in your brain and are like this is harming people, I have to help that.
Speaker 5: It might be a little bit tougher to let go.
Speaker 2: But just for me right now, That's what I'm saying, Like, if you can help, then help, yeah for sure, then.
Speaker 5: Help yeah for me right now?
Speaker 1: Little too much of everything crumbling for me too cognitively function in the world, So I'm gonna let some of that go.
Speaker 5: So the Octopus, I loved it. Watch it. Sorry to give away the end if now you want to see it.
Speaker 1: I understand that your cultiest thing of the week is going to be more of a monologue.
Speaker 5: Yes, correct, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, guys, I have another monologue.
Speaker 3: It's a serious one. Buckle in. But I think it's important. So shall I begin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, it's been a few months since I've talked about Gaza, So for anyone who isn't following the news, Israel has sieged the north of Gaza, where the horrors have been escalating. War in Middle East in general is like ramping up. It's very scary, but there are lots of figures I could name about the staggering number of Palestinians who have been killed since October seventh. The latest estimates from nearly one hundred American health care providers who volunteered in Gaza estimate the death toll not only by bombing, but also indirect methods of death, starvation, lack of health care, to be five point four percent of the entire population of Gaza. That's obviously absolutely staggering. And to be clear, the hostages deserve to come home. No one deserves to live in fear or experience violence either. All people should be allowed to live freely and peacefully, Palestinian and Israeli alike. And I understand and I've witnessed how reactions to this genocide have unfairly and hatefully translated into anti Semitism or conspiracy theories, which should never be the response. And it's appalling that it's twenty twenty four and anyone should have to spend their days afraid of bombs or violent attacks. So, since this is a cult podcast, there's something in particular that I think is important to consider when debating the realities of this war, and that is censorship and control of information.
Speaker 3: So the first of Robert J.
Speaker 2: Liften's eight criteria for thought reform is called miliu control, which refers to the control of information and communication within the environment and eventually the individual. So you see this in cults, virtually every cult. The immediate examples that come to mind are scientology or like the People's Temple which was Jonestown. But this is a hallmark of cults. It's trust only us, everyone else is a liar. In a recent episode, we learned about how Maud Zadong cracked down on anyone who had come forward to criticize his regime. In the Soviet Union in World War Two, foreign journalists were allowed in, but only under constant scrutiny and censorship. The same was true of Nazi Germany, who allowed the Associated Press in on the condition that they would submit to censorship and even propaganda. In North Korea, free press is not a thing, and Russia journalists are repeatedly targeted, and Donald Trump has suggested that members of the press who criticize him go to jail.
Speaker 3: And you see this also in Israel.
Speaker 2: And I make this point about the government and military systems of Israel, not the people of Israel, because as numbers are thrown back and forth and everyone digs their heels into their existing belief systems, I felt like it was worth explaining one of the big red flags for me personally about implicitly buying into the narratives provided by Netanyahu's far right government and the Israeli military, which before October seventh saw Israeli human rights organizations give up on trying to work with them anymore because of their track record of almost never pursuing investigations against its soldiers' crimes against Palestinians.
Speaker 3: Even the very well documented ones.
Speaker 2: So that red flag is the Israeli government's fight against independent journalism, especially when it comes to documenting its impact on the people of Gaza. What does that look like?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Government officials in Israel halted broadcasts of Al Jazeera, one of the central critical voices of its treatment of Palestinians. The IDF recently rated the Al Jazeera offices in the West Bank and shut them down. Foreign journalists have been prevented from entering Gaza to report independently. Here's a quote from cnn dot com. Although the Israeli military has taken international reporters on dozens of embeds with their troops.
Speaker 3: The report orders on these troops.
Speaker 2: Have no freedom of movement and are not allowed to speak to Palestinians. The raw footage is also subject to Israeli military censorship. In July, more than seventy media and civil society organizations signed an open letter urging Israel to give journalists independent access to Gaza that included the Associated Press, The Guardian, The New York Times, BBC, CNN, the Washington Post, but no dice, they are not allowed. The Committee to Protect Journalists or the CPGA, says that Israeli authorities now hold the global record for arresting the most journalists per capita in a one year period. Numerous journalists in Gaza have been killed by the IDFs, somewhere in clearly marked vests, and a handful found to have been directly targeted by the IDF Based on evidence gathered and for context, more than one hundred reporters were killed and six months in Gaza. That numbers hire now twenty two in the line of duty. Compare that to sixty three journalists who died over twenty years of the Vietnam War. And my sources on this are the CPJA, Reporters without Borders, and a really very large number of credible news organizations who all have fact checkers in their employee. Haaretz and Israeli newspaper just this week published an editorial titled Israel must stop persecuting journalists and criminalizing the profession. So the question that I hope we all ask ourselves when we're debating facts and figures on the war, or even as we move into election territory here in the US. Is this would a government that has done no wrong ban entire news organizations? And if it's such a moral army? And many former IDF soldiers have come forward to groups like breaking the silence about what they witnessed and said otherwise. But if it is, shouldn't we want the light of day shown on the truth? Would a healthy political system target journalist who are merely doing their job where there is no wrongdoing? Wouldn't you want that to come out? And at what point is trust only us not good enough? In science, truth is arrived at through the replication of studies by outside parties because of the danger of bias or fabrication when you just trust the guy who came up with it without questioning. Scientific truths are confirmed through evidence over time by multiple sources. In politics, in government, and in war, and especially in matters of life and death and genocide, the same standards should apply.
Speaker 3: That is my lengthy monologue. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's super interesting. I didn't know any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think freedom of information is so important lest we sound to one side leaning. I've also noticed it here with our current administration in disappointing ways, so never a good thing.
Speaker 5: I will look into what you said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Like every government should be held accountable and should have transparency, and I do think in the United States there's been so much lack of transparency, and I do think I wish that that culture would change, and I wish we would hold our politicians more accountable.
Speaker 5: Me too, Man, should we talk to Gareth.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. Welcome Gareth Gore to trust me. Thank you so much for being with us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me to start us off.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us a little bit about your background as a journalist and what led you to this insane story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, as your listeners will will find out if they read the book. I never came into this project with any intention of writing about Opper's day. I knew very little about Oppers day coming into this. So I'm a financial journalist. I've been a financial journalist for the past twenty years. I've covered all kinds of different stories, usually kind of following the money, you know, all of the world. I think I've reported from about twenty five or more countries from around the world, including Saudi Arabia, Russia, Peru, all over the place. So yes, I mean basically what happened was a bank in Spain collapsed and I was sent to report on what had happened. And at first it seemed like just a typical story of like a managers had taken too many risks and they allowed things to get out of control. But the more I dug into the story, the less sense it made, and I just kind of couldn't let it go and just kept on digging and digging into I found myself in this rabbit hole of Opus Day, And yeah, all that we're going to discuss today, I guess.
Speaker 2: I got to say my associations with Opus Day before reading your book and kind of learning about what this is about, were just the Da Vinci Code. And I had this like vague idea that it's a conspiracy theory about a shadowy like Mason esque group, and I had no idea that it was one actually real end two actually has legitimate accusations of abuse and is so intertwined with the American government. So can you just like, for anyone who has the same amount of references that I had, can you kind of just describe, like where is this information coming? Like This isn't a conspiracy theory book. This is like very intensive journalism. Where are you getting all the information from?
Speaker 4: So Opus Days is very real. So Opus Day was founded in nineteen twenty eight by a Spanish priest called Possumaria Eskaliba, who basically told everybody that he'd received this vision from God one day that basically outlined the foundations of a new organization that would allow ordinary Catholics to live out their faith more seriously without the need to become priests or nuns. What he set up was this organization that was supposed to provide kind of spiritual support to ordinary Catholics and basically that would show them how to I guess offer up their everyday lives to God. Like Basically, the message was that by striving for perfection in everything you do, whether that's work or your family life or even just cleaning their house or whatever, it's a way of I guess serving God and kind of offering up your life to God. And you know, I think whether you're religious or not, I think we can all agree that kind of I guess striving to do our best is a great philosophy. Very quickly kind of things started to evolve and deteriorate from there.
Speaker 1: I guess I was just going to say it sounds like prescription for severe OCD. But also, was he kind of framing himself as a prophet. What was his that he was speaking directly to God? Right? Oh?
Speaker 4: He was, Yeah, it was kind of The language he used was always rather vague. I think he avoided saying that he'd had direct conversations with God, but he certainly told people that he'd received this vision. I guess, you know, maybe some of us who maybe aren't believers might call it like an epiphany. He was basically on retreat for a few days in October nineteen twenty eight. He was already a priest at this point, and I think I guess he'd been thinking of thinking about his own faith and how to better serve God, and he basically came up with this idea or he received this idea from God at some point.
Speaker 2: Right, he received it directly from God, even if they weren't like on the phone every night, there was right.
Speaker 5: As they do.
Speaker 2: Okay, so kind of paint the picture for us of the origins of how this started to evolve, Because, first of all, the different factions of the Catholic Church super confusing to me. I don't know anything about Catholicism. You have the pope and then you have like, can you explain how where this kind of fits into Catholicism.
Speaker 4: Well so at this point, I mean, yes, there are kind of various movements within the church, some of which are hundreds and hundreds of years old. But at this stage Escaliba was just kind of a normal diocesan priest. He'd been trained in Tharragoza, and then he moved to Madrid, partly to so that he could study law alongside being priest. The critical thing in terms of why this movement developed in the way it did was the backdrop. So this is Spain in the early nineteen thirties. This is a society which is on the brink of civil wars, deep divisions in society. The workers are rising up kind of demanding rights for themselves. They've overthrown the monarchy, you know, many people are turning the backs on the Church and starting to question and the hold that religion has had over society and over their lives for so long. And Escliva saw this and was horrified. So what had begne a few years earlier. As this philosophy of kind of striving to just basically kind of do better and do your best in life started to become gradually more and more militant and more and more reactionary to what was happening around him. He basically started to pen a series of documents outlining the mission of the movement, and he basically said that he saw his followers as and at the stage he didn't really have any followers, but he was I guess he was.
Speaker 5: Thinking ahead, make it till you make it.
Speaker 4: Yes, his followers as part of this guerrilla army that would infiltrate every part of society, from government to the judiciary, to education, the media and there would basically use the positions to gather information on what he called the enemies of Christ, and they would seek to I guess, use or abuse the positions in society to carry out what he called the orders of Christ, which I guess were to come through him or through the organization. So, yes, I guess what had begun is this quite laudable and kind of benign philosophy developed into a very militant and quite political philosophy.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to hear about the all male residences. Like what the culture actually was and how that developed, because it's very cult like even before it expands to this larger thing.
Speaker 4: So to begin with, Escreva was adamants that would only be for men. He said, never ever will there be women in this organization. He later changed his mind, I guess when it became more convenient for him to have women in the organization. So initially he was teaching alongside being a priest, and at one stage he set up a university of residence to basically offer extra classes for people who were maybe falling behind in their studies or who wanted to do well. And so he had this captive audience of young men who were coming to get extra lessons in law and architecture. So basically, he says, up this academy, which was at least the public side of it was that it was just offering extra classes in law and architecture, but it had a hidden agenda as well, in that it was seeking to recruit these men into oppers day. So Escribar, the founder, would collect all kinds of information on these men who are coming through the door. He will keep report cards on each one.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have to pause here to just draw the parallel between scientology. For me, that's what's coming up. This feels like in Los Angeles they say, here's an acting class. You got to come through, and then they collect all your secrets and.
Speaker 3: They see them too.
Speaker 5: Same Nan two. He was ahead of his time.
Speaker 4: I was just about to make the same point. I mean what I find fascinating from this when I when I detach myself from just how horrendous this was and how he was grooming these people and the impact it had on people's lives. When you stand back, there's part of me that's almost in awe. I mean, he was this is the early nineteen thirties, and from what I understand, he was basically doing this on his own. He was developing these techniques by himself. He even wrote a document which Opaste has kept secret for over the years, for the past almost one hundred years, but which I managed to get my hands on. Well, well, yes, and so you can read all about it in the book. And so so he's getting these kids coming through the door, he's keeping records on them, he's trying new techniques the whole time, and he's finding out what works what doesn't. And I think it's in about nineteen thirty four or thirty five. Turn basically instructions for his followers to use to recruit new members. And these instructions are based on what he's learned. So he has a few kind of rules, like basically, never target anyone above the age of twenty five because, according to him, people of the theater twenty five, the kind of they ask too many baked.
Speaker 2: Intuitively, he knew that the forming brain, the frontal has closed for business.
Speaker 4: He tells people, you know, basically, never targets recruits as a group. You need to pick them off one by one and talk to them individually.
Speaker 2: You need to say thing Scientology did when I went to the Scientology Center.
Speaker 3: Okay, go on.
Speaker 4: He needs to also tell people that seem to be close to joining, you need to tell them that they need to shut up and don't tell anyone, especially not their family, about the fact that they enjoying this organization. I mean, as you rightly point out, ninety one hundred years on, these are techniques that are pretty standard as for cults these days in terms of identifying victims, kind of cutting them off from their environment, whether that be family or friends or whatever, and then kind of bombarding them with this information that they're told, look, don't share this with it with anyone else. This is just for you. And this became, you know, this was fairly.
Speaker 2: Efficient information and rules and a highly controlled schedule. Once they were actually in right, that like completely consumed their time and their lives and their critical thinking skills. I'm also curious about the body mortification and the sort of like physical self punishment that was a part of this.
Speaker 4: I mean absolutely the So once these people, once these men at the stage made the leap Escliva, I would basically tell them we give them this thing, which he called the Plan of Life, which was meticulously planned schedule for the day and for the week. So basically the men were required to do set things at set times of the day. So each day at six they would wake up. The first thing they had to do, this thing they called the heroic minute, was that they would get straight out of bed as soon as the clock chime six. They would get out of bed, kiss the floor and say SEVM. So basically, I serve you God, And you know, there were set prayers they had to say through the day. They were expected to pray the Rosary each day. They were expected to pray these special Opus Day praise prayers at certain points of the day, but I mean as you touched on there. They were also expected to perform corporal mortification through the day as well. Now like this is kind of I guess from modern audience, corporal mortification seems odd and quite medieval, and I guess in many ways it is. It's been part of Catholicism for hundreds of years, but many orders have decided to drop it because they I guess they've seen the potential for this being quite damaging, not as physically, but I guess also mentally as well.
Speaker 1: It probably turned people off and they were like, oh, this is maybe too wild.
Speaker 4: People weren't usually told about this until they decided to make the leap, so they were once they made the leap, of course, presented to them, as you know, with this philosophy of driving for perfection, even though already the founder had much bigger ideas for what Opus Day was going to be, and he already had this plan of life ready to go, but he would only present this to them once they made the leap. But coming back to the corporate mortification, so Esclibal was was obsessed with this. Many people around him were quite worried about him. Actually, I think he had yet. He was carrying a lot of weight on his shoulders. There had been a lot of death in his family. His you know, his siblings had died, his father had become bankrupt, and he was the oldest son and a lot of weight on his shoulders. He was also quite worried about his own weight. He he often ate to much and felt guilty about it afterwards. And I think this corporal mortification was it was kind of his escape almost. It made him feel closer to Christ. And so he would whip himself, not just with a rope and a whip, but you know, he would attach razor blades to the ends of the rope just to make mean that much more. He was trying to inflict pain on himself, I guess as a punishment or to remind himself of the suffering of Christ. He would also wear this barbed wire on his leg a few hours a day, and sometimes even around his stomach. He would deny himself things like water for long periods. I'm sorry, what are you going to say?
Speaker 2: I rewatched the beginning of the Da Vinci Code last night, and there is a scene where they depict some of these practices and it's.
Speaker 3: Very, very uncomfortable to watch.
Speaker 2: And all I could think the whole time was how prone to infections that must make one. But what they show in that movie, like he was actually doing these things. It's not like that part is not necessarily exaggerated. Right, Yes, a fire on his leg and is whipping himself with I think something attachable.
Speaker 4: I suspected that Vinci COLDI is probably the film is exaggerates the practice to a certain extent. But yes, I mean, certainly in the case of his free bar, this is a guy who was you know, his top was off, he was whipping himself and drawing blood. So what you say is absolutely right. But what's critical is that, I think so he was obsessed with this, and you know, he was a free man. He was if he wanted to do that, then fine, I'm not sure what it tells us about his mental health, but you know whatever, Sure, yeah, he basically enforced this among his followers as well. So in addition to them having you know, their day almost planned by the minute, they were also expected to follow in the same form of self punishment that he was doing. And so not only was every minute of the day taking up with these you know, various obligations, but they were I guess in this mentality of I need to punish myself like I'm sinful, I'm I'm not worthy in some ways. So so I honestly believe in certainly from speaking to former members, you know, can really have quite a powerful impact on your self worth and just your mental health in general. And so I think that was critical, I guess, to subduing these people and to I guess, suppressing the individuality.
Speaker 2: And listen, I'm not wanting to judge anybody's religious practice, but I have to imagine that being in physical discomfort or pain at all times or multiple times of the day to punish yourself has to wear on your psyche and your again, your critical thinking skills, you know, being compelled to do this because your leader told you to, versus it being something you want to do. And again, that's a whole nother conversation. Seems like just ripe for you know, getting control.
Speaker 5: Over those people.
Speaker 2: Okay, so from the beginning, this guy, and by the way, I've kind of like what you said earlier. I think what he created was some very horrible stuff, but impressive how motivated he was to get followers and how much it actually did grow over time and expanded to numerous countries. Because in the beginning you kind of go through the history and your book and then there's like stops and starts, and people aren't taking them seriously, and then you know, people are against the group, but they just like somehow persevere. So what is a numerary and what is a supernumerary?
Speaker 4: So initially it was just numery men, and then they opened it up to numery women. So the numeriies, I guess the kind of elite corps I like to kind of call them of Opus Day. These are the people that have dedicated their lives to Opus Day. So you know, they kind of make these commitments to remain chaste, to you know, to to to live lives of poverty. But also critically, they almost kind of take a pledge of allegiance to the movement, and so you know they're basically offering up everything they do to OPA's Day. So these are the people. They live in gender segregated communities, so and they're not allowed to mix between themselves at all. So even today, you know, the big Opper's Day headquarters for the United States in New York, this kind of seventeen story building in Manhattan. There's one entrance for the men and another entrance for the women. And you know when I visited, I went to the wrong door. I went to the women's door and had this kind of this woman look at me through a hatch and say, it's not here. You need to go around the corner.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Son, Yes, even today it's that way. But in the nineteen forties, Escaliba basically opened up the organization to a much wider membership. So he invented this new class of membership called the Supernumeries. So these were people who were who were going to be members of Opper's Day and who would follow as much as they could the plan of life, so the prayers, the mortification, but who would be allowed to marry and to have kids, and who would be encouraged to just have normal jobs out in the world as doctors or teachers or whatever. And these were the people that Escribart saw as his gorilla army. Now, the Numeries, this highly controlled group is used in turn to then control the Supernumeries. So these guys are basically allocated a certain number of supernumeries each and they have to meet them once a week or once every fortnight, and they offer the supernumeriies what's called spiritual direction. So it's almost like an extension of confession. So the numeries meet with the supernumeries and they say, you know, what's going on in your life? Tell me about your job and your family. What the super nimate don't know. The supernomberi is believe that all the're getting is like guidance for how to be better Catholics. But what's actually happening is that the numeries are gathering information about the supernumeries and they're then they collect report cards on each and this information is passed up to the national headquarters. So you know, there's this huge database basically of information on all of the members, and this is using this information the numery members and the directors decide how best I guess to use or generally kind of push the supernumerary members to go out and I guess achieve the various ambitions and desires that OBSTE has for society and for the local communities as well. So it's like an Army. You know these are you have the generals who are in charge of the memories, and then you have these kind of I guess these troops who are then in charge of shepherding around and the normal people on the Grand supermemoration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the generals have the troop's darkest, deepest secrets, which adds a very emotional air.
Speaker 4: Well. What differs Opus Day from groups like you know, scientology or others is that this is an organization that's being recognized by the Catholic Church and actually there has been given a special status within the Catholic Church, so it has this legitimacy. So ordinary Catholics welcome the organization into their homes because they believe that it's just Catholic Church. The Poper's signed off on this, then, how could it possibly be bad? And for me, that kind of makes this all the more dangerous because they drop their guard. They allow their kids to go to opper stay schools, not knowing that their kids are being groomed and recruited without their knowledge.
Speaker 2: That's the perfect place to segue into how kids are being groomed and recruited without their knowledge. Tell us about the secret guidelines aspirants. Let's get into that.
Speaker 4: So Opus Day kind of publicly at least says that no one is allowed to become a member of OPA's Day until they are eighteen, which is the kind of you know, the age of consent within the church. But that's complete fiction. Basically, Opus Day go targets grooms kids you know as young as like eleven, twelve, thirteen, and it invites them to well, first of all, it operates schools, but outside of the school, it invites kids to like youth programs and initiatives like camping weekends and you know, film nights, homework clubs, which are run generally by numery members who are collecting information on the kids as well. I mean, this is not we're not talking about ancient We're talking just then about the nineteen thirties. Two years ago in Australia, a story can at about a group of kids who went to an Upenstay school who were invited to a homework club and one of the kids fans a set of notes with all of the kids shotted down and alongside each name was the memories had noted down the weaknesses of each child and also what strengths each kid might offer if they were to join up a state. This is like in the twenty twenties, Wow, a developed country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy, And I'll ask him about that in one second. But just to contextualize it, like they're aiming the aim of the organization is to have people in very powerful and influential positions in society, right, so they can actually create a world that looks like what they kind of wanted to look like, or what the I guess whoever is the leader at that time wants it to look like. So is it essentially like a pipeline to identify like who should go into government or who should go into societal positions?
Speaker 3: Like what's the goal?
Speaker 4: So I think there are two things going on opus day, as you rightly point out right from the beginning, Because what they want to do is it's a reactionary political movement. They want to basically stop any kind of progressive development in society. And so what they do is they recruit the elite. They're trying to find people who will be who are or will be members of government or in the judiciary or journalists or whatever. So it's looking, yes, to recruit today's elite and tomorrow's elite, which is why they go after kids and university students, because they're trying to get the cream of the crop and you know, the people who will go on to be tomorrow's elite, so that they are recruiting the elite. But what they also need, I mean, coming back to what we were just saying about the numeries and the function of the numeeries within the system controlling the supernumeries, manipulating them, they also need another kind of They need a constant stream of numeriies so that they can control the zupernumery. So I think many many times when people are being groomed at school when they're still teenagers, it's with a view to pushing them into becoming numery members of Op's day. Because of course if you're a kid, you're moreppliable and you're may be more open to dedicating your life to this movement. You don't know what's going on, I mean, as we know, I Screba said, don't don't target people who are too old because they're going to ask too many questions. They're going to almost two wise, you need tea them when they're young. And that's precisely what's going on here, and this happens, you know, this happens in the US as well. I mean, Opper Stay operates various schools in Washington, Chicago, Boston. In fact, it has a plan to expand to another twenty US states of the next few years. Oh my gosh, where it will be doing precisely this, it will be it will be grooming, targeting young children who officially won't be allowed to become members until they're eighteen, but will be basically earmarked for becoming memories. And yeah, as you mentioned before, there's they're given this internal kind of tag. They're called aspirants, so they're not officially members, but they are aspirant members.
Speaker 2: And there are instances of sexual abuse occurring in various programs in different places, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like to be fer to Obbos Day. You know, sexual abuse has happened all across the Catholic Church, and in fact happens all across society.
Speaker 3: So I don't think it's not unique to Yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Isn't unique, and from what I've seen, I mean, it's it's hard to know for sure, but the problem of sexual abuse doesn't seem that much greater in Stay. You know, compared to other parts of the church or even other parts of society. But what I like, which is which is still a lot, absolutely, and I don't want to diminish the suffering of people who in through this. But but what I think is kind of special about oppos Day. They're so obsessed with protecting the reputation of the movement that often these things are covered up and the organization goes to extreme lengths to distance itself from everything that's happening in its name around the world. So the numery members that live around the world that are kind of going out there recruiting kids and I guess, you know, seeking to manipulate and control the supernumerary members. They're following a set guidelines that are sent from Rome, many of which were either written by the founder himself or by his successes. So they're following out, you know, these kind of strict guidelines. What whither they're doing on the ground, They're very much encouraged to say, we're doing this as individuals, and any initiatives they operate have nothing legally or officially to do with up as Day, So it kind of Opus Day. The organization is able to wash its hands of any abuse or any criminality or anything that happens, because it just says, I don't know. All we do is we just offer spiritual guidance. And I think, you know, in the book I mentioned this, the sexual abuse of I think he was an eleven year old boy at the time by a numery and he reported this to up As Day and Elpu's Day should have reported this to the Vatican according to the church's own rules. But because the abuse had taken place at this camp that was run by an arms length company that was not legally, you know, anything to do with up As Day, but which in fact was completely run by up As Day, they just said, oh no, sorry, it's got nothing to do with us. We don't need to report this to that can because whatever happened happened, you know, at this thing that was run by this nonprofit.
Speaker 2: That and.
Speaker 1: Already the critical thinking is so cut off because it's like it should be reported to the police, but we and from the religion that I come from as well, it's like we'll give it to.
Speaker 5: The higher ups and they will deal with that.
Speaker 2: I think one thing that is important to note sexual abuse aside, because you know, we've heard the story before protecting the reputation of the church over the children. Is the hospitality courses which I've been putting in quotation marks. Can you tell us who Catherine? I'm going to say her name wrong?
Speaker 3: Tsier was.
Speaker 4: My French is equally bad, so I'm not even sure I know how to pronounce. And I actually when I read the audiobook, I had some approaching me on how to say. So. In the nineteen forties, Escalibar he basically hit on what was an amazing kind of business model for OPS Day. So he set up all of these student residences all over the country, which yes, were just normal student residences, but which also doubled up as recruitment centers. So it was a way of getting men and women under one roof. So obviously gender segregated men in one place women and a place where they could be monitored and they could report cards could be filled out from them, and they could very efficiently recruit. But the residencies needed staff. They needed cooks and cleaners, and Elpus Day was spending large amounts of money on hiring women largely to cook and clean and basically serve meals. The students that were living there, who were paying the kind of bed and board. But then Escalibar hits on this idea of Okay, until now, we've been recruiting the elites, and tomorrow or as elite, what if we created this new kind of subclass of membership. Will we recruit the domestic workers and we get them to join the movement, And just like the numeries who are expected to give over all of their wages to uppers Day, what about we get these women to also give the wages to us as well. So effectively, what he created was this pool of free labor. So opu Ste was paying these women. But because they were now these what they called numery servants, they later changed to them because I guess the pr and that name wasn't so great, they changed the name to numerary assistance. They were receiving their pay from Opus Day and then they were giving it straight back. So Opusta had all of these women who are basically providing you know, free domestic service, cooking, cleaning for the organization. Screwball was so pleased for him with himself, after having you know, thought this up, he said, and I paraphrased, basically, he said, this is the greatest gift. God has given us this, you know, free supply of labor. And it's important to understand that it was confined to women. You know, even back in the nineteen forties, there were still there were men who were doing domestic service. You had you know, butlers and gardeners and drivers and stuff. But for some reason, Escreba chells that he wouldn't recruit men for this subclass. It would only be women. I don't know whether that was because he thought they were more pliable or whatever. And this goes on today. Like so there Opus Stay is recruiting elite members of society, but at the same time it's targeting underprivileged girls from usually in poor countries and selling them this idea that they can serve God by becoming domestic servants for Opus Stay inside OLPA Stay centers and so all around the world there are these hospitality schools that are set up were Opus Day goes out to local communities and says, hey, yeah, you know, your prospects here are not great. Why don't you come to the city with us and come and join this school. We'll teach you how to cook, and we'll teach you how to work in the hospitality industry. You'll get all of these qualifications and then you can go on and get a great job in the city in the hospitality sector. Once the girls are taken away from their families and living at the school, many of them, you know, they're still teenagers at this stage that are then targeted, groomed into joining the movement and becoming these numerary assistants. I've met many of these women, and yeah, the tales they tell are absolutely horrendous. You know, they're told God has chosen you for this calling. If you turn your back on God and you choose not to do this, then you will go to hell. Your entire family will go to hell. You know that the manipulation of these young girls who are taken out of their environments, you know where they can go back and get supports, they're just inside these schools, is absolutely horrendous.
Speaker 2: And Catherine Tissier was recruited at fourteen, pressured into doing religious activities that were not advertised in the beginning, completely controlled, basically isolated from her parents, and then they put her on a bunch of like a cocktail of drugs and she was like deathly skinny, and finally when she saw her parents, they were like, what's happening? And so it begs the question, how many other girls and women has this happened to and how has there not been widespread accountability for this, I mean has there So, just to pick up on.
Speaker 4: The on the use of prescription drugs, the ranks of OPUS day, the numery ranks of OPUS day, and the numerary assistant ranks of Elpus Day are absolutely riddled with mental illness, and OPUS Day often sends people who are showing signs of mental illnes us to an open stay doctor who prescribes them with a cocktail of of medication two certainly from the women and the men. Actually, because this happens to Maile memories too, that it isn't part of a program that's designed to help them get better. It's usually just a way of covering up the symptoms so that they continue, they can continue recruiting and carrying out their roles for the organization. So to come back to your point there, I mean, people are starting to wake up to what's happening. So, just a few days ago ago, federal prosecutors in Argentina actually filed formal accusations against Dopper's Day, and in particular for four open stay priests who would run the organization in Argentina for having trafficked teenage girls. People standing the alarm on this for years. I mean, the case in Argentina, I write, you know, although obviously there'll be more recent developments, but I write about this in my book, and I travel to Argentina to meet with many of the women. There were forty two women who who are part of this case. But this is happening and has happened all over the world. I know from my research and investigation that Opus Day was operating similar schools. So it is operating similar schools in places like Nigeria, the Philippines, Belgium.
Speaker 5: It's beyond comprehension.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about Leonard Leo and the influence in American politics. Everything that you're describing that is coercive and abusive seems to come back to this same point of like, we need more money and we need more power and influence in society. Tell us who Leonard Leo is and what the federalist society is.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, in order to expand around the world, Opus Day over the years needed money and for a large part of the book is dedicated to the story of how oppers Day basically hijacked this banking in the nineteen fifties and Spain and turned it into a cash machine, which which financed, which directly financed the creation of this network of hospitality schools around the world and many other kind of normal schools and student residences to help it recruit. So it's always courted power, it's always courted money. And you know, in Washington, d C. It's really plowed huge amounts of resources into penetrating the DC political and judicial scenes, you know, and it's been quite successful in doing that. Former Supreme Court Justice Antoninscleer was a regular at the uppers Day retreats that were held outside of Washington. He was he was a he was a big fan of Oppers Day. I don't believe he was a member, but he was certainly a regular at the retreats and received a certain amount of spiritual guidance as well from from Opu's Day. But in more recent years, Opus Day seems to have really kind of cosied up to a number of very influential people on the conservative right of the political spectrum, including mister Lendon Leo, I mean mister lend Leo. He So, this is a guy who is credited with having orchestrated a conservative takeover of the Supreme Courts and is credited with having had possibly the most the biggest impact in the overturning of Rovue Wade. So this guy is was invited onto the board of the Opera's Day center in central Washington, a place called the Catholic Information Center, which for many years has very success yessfully recruited congress men and women senators you know, you know, hotshot lawyers and lobbyists. And mister mister Leo says that he isn't a member, and I perfectly believe that, But what opens Dare has done is certainly kind of entice linared Leo into its orbits, and and Leo has in recent years become a major donor to Open Stay and he's very supportive of many Open Day initiatives, including the one I mentioned mentioned earlier, of you know, this plan to basically expand the Open Stay school network to another twenty states.
Speaker 1: I bet he is, because my mind goes to, well, they now have all of his secrets. He's probably confessed things to him and then I think retreats and I'm wondering, like, is this a place where some of these women are taking care of these men in ways that can be used in blackmail?
Speaker 5: I mean, it goes so deep.
Speaker 1: There's so many rabbit holes that I know we don't have answers to.
Speaker 4: But I think that's pure speculation.
Speaker 5: I have like I'm making this up in my head.
Speaker 4: And I think even within the kind of and so Leo isn't a member of OPPERS Day, but even for members of even for the supernumerary members of UPS Day that are spilling out the heart to the numery that's been assigned to them for the spiritual guidance, I think they're unaware that that information is being collected on them. So I don't think it's a kind of blackmail thing. I think what it is the reason for collecting the information, I think is more so that the higher ups can work out how best to basically push the open Staate networks in Washington or wherever it might be in the right direction, so that maybe these two guys we could encourage them to meet because they might be able to help us with this initiative or whatever. So it's more of a gentle kind of pushing people together rather than saying, hey, we've got this information on you, you better do what we say. I don't believe there are any orders coming from the top, but what the Stay higher ups are trying to do is engineer the people within the orbit, but basically advance various causes. Leo, I'm absolutely certain, is acting off his own own initiative. But I think his proximity in this over Stay world, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if he was being constantly kind of bed you know, he's reassured that what you're doing is right, and yeah, you know this is great in the service of the church. It's kind of that kind of subtle kind of nudge. And I think that that is going on.
Speaker 2: And Leonard Leo is I would say he's a manipulator, maybe more than a manipulated. I mean, maybe both things are happening at once. But there's so many articles about him recently, and you can speak to this more from the Financial Times just a month Agooh it said he's making a billion dollar push to quote crush liberal dominance across corporate America in the country's news and entertainment sectors.
Speaker 3: His quote says, we need.
Speaker 2: To crush liberal dominance where it's most insidious, so we'll direct resources to build talent and capital formation pipelines in the areas of news and entertainment where left wing extremism is most evident. He is making people pay price for putting extreme left wing ideology ahead of consumers. He's basically been advocating for the overturn over vweight right, like this kind of anti LGBTQ marriage law, like basically like ultra conservative values. He is responsible for a significant amount of money, highly significant amount of money going toward funding campaigns for conservative justices and lawmakers who are in a position to like promote these sort of hyper Christian values in the world.
Speaker 3: Is that accurate? Did I say that correctly?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So, basically a few years ago he a very large donor to at Eralist Society where he was working. Lee seems to have convinced this guy, a guy called Barry said, I think is how you pronounce it, Barry Side, who was a billionaire. He convinced this guy to leave his money to Leo and his network of kind of foundations, and so you know, overnight, Leonard Leelle suddenly had this one point six billion dollar war chest too at his disposal. And yes, he's talked in recent weeks and months about how he plans to use that, and I think his exact words were, he wants to crush liberal dominance. Now, look, I mean, I'm not saying that this is a plan orchestrated by opper Stay or that up Stay is telling him what to do, not in anyway, but there are certain parallels to what he's trying to do convined to what Escaliba was trying to do, or what or how Escaliba envisioned Opus day. So remember what we're saying at the beginning of the of the of the show that Escobar wanted his followers to infiltrate every element of society, including media, education, judiciary. And that's precisely what lenardly I was trying to do with his new Tenneo network and with this money. It's he's it's a reengineering of society with people and ideas that you know are basically kind of fueled by his kind of this reactionary agenda of crushing progressivism and liberalism. And you know, it's it's about turning the clock back. Certainly in the last five I think it's five Supreme Court's appointees. He's had a hand in their appointment, but I think not more perhaps more critically given you know, in the weeks ahead, is is leonardly Our's links also to Project twenty twenty five, which which is similar to his whole TENEO networking that it's a re engineering of I guess in the case of Project twenty twenty five, of federal government in order to kind of push across liberal dominance and to you know, basically it's a reactionary agenda. Interestingly, as well, another opens Dale link here Kevin Roberts, who's the president of the Heritage Foundation and the person who has basically cooked up this whole plan, the Project twenty twenty five. He's a regular attendee at the Opps Day Center in Washington as well. He gets his from the Olper's Day priests there. You know. I mean, people might say this is like a conspiracy theory, but there are all of these kind of parallels and it's just very interesting that Opus Day it seems to have very much, very successfully infiltrated this kind of radical conservative circles within Washington, across politics, across the lobbying industry, think tanks across the judiciary, and I think it's not an exaggeration to say that Olpius Day's philosophy is now kind of a dominant one among certainly among the Catholic members of that kind of radical conservative elite.
Speaker 2: And so it's possible that there's just this meeting of the mud, like shared ideology coming together because they want the same things versus like a cabal of right wing people. But the connections are there, the overlap and the people are there, and ultimately, like the retrograde, anachronistic societal goals are there and are being enacted right now before our very eyes, with a very large amount of money and power.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, And people are going to have to read the book because it's great and there's a lot about dark money in it that is very interesting that Gareth probably can't really get into. But yeah, there's a lot there. Like I said, for me, it opens a lot of rabbit holes. I could really go into this for a very long time.
Speaker 4: That's a great plot. You sell a book better better than I do, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Where does everything stand with Opus stay now? Do you think reform is possible?
Speaker 3: Where are we at Okay.
Speaker 4: OPA Stay is at a critical juncture. It's facing the biggest crisis possibly to it to its existence ever well certainly well it's only been around for almost one hundred years in its one hundred year history, so the pulp is acutely aware of the abuses and manipulation that have been taking place within Opa Stay, that have been taking place in the name of the church. Let's not let's not forget, and he is currently making some very delicate steps. He knows how powerful op Stay is within the church. So I believe the Pope is trying to to address the abuses and trying to reign in the organization, but he's doing it in a very delicate way. I understand were likely to see some kind of big announcement in the next few weeks, So I'm not sure what that might be. Whether he's going to intervene in the organization like he did with the Legionaries of Christ a few years ago, or whether you know, I don't know, maybe he'll change the internal rules of Oste. I don't know, but but I think something is coming. But also like it's coming back to whether Opus Day can reform. I think Opus Day has been given numerous chances to address the abuses and manipulation that are at the heart of the organization, and time and time again, it's leadership has proven unwilling and unable to push through any any meaningful reforms. And I think there's a very good reason for that, and that's because, and this goes back to the founding of Opus Day, Escalibar told his followers that he'd received this vision directly from God, and he wrote this vision down in like in kind of intricate detail. So there are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pages detailing how Open Stay should operate and how the system of abuse and manipulation should be carried out. And so but today's leadership, to challenge anything about that system is to challenge the vision which supposedly came. To challenge anything about Opus Day is to challenge the word of God. And so they've got themselves into this bind. So this is now this vision that they've sold to the membership has been great in terms of enticing new members in and convincing ordinary Catholics to become members of OPS Day. But what it's also done is restrict its room for maneuver. It now can't address these clear examples of abuse, because to do so is to question the fundamental foundation of the organization.
Speaker 2: What I can liken it too is Mormonism because I grew up leaving Joseph Smith, found the church and spoke directly to God. God a visions same kind of thing. But then subsequent profits would be like, oh, actually God changed is mine? Like, are there leaders who claim to also be you know, in some form of communication with Gon?
Speaker 4: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 5: And I'm Mary cute, I too the problem.
Speaker 4: I think so far so he's had. We're now onto Eskalba's third successor, and each successor is kind of elected on the promise to continue things as they are and to continue the great work of God. I mean, maybe one day they will come a day. I mean I think, I don't think. I think things will happen before then. I think, you know, things are coming out that can't be brushed under the carpet. Yeah, I think there's going to be some kind of reckoning coming for OPUS Day. But let's assume that these things haven't come out and or that nothing is done. Maybe one day there could be a reforming leader of OP Day. But it's kind of difficult because they've created such a cult of personality around the founder.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even if there was.
Speaker 4: A desire to address some of these problems, it's almost ingrained into every member. Just yeah, I mean maybe, I'm sure you guys have an interesting perspective on this as well. You know, the worship of the leader, and you know we not being able to question anything. I mean, that's something that's common to so many cults, right, I mean, I guess that's an essential characteristic of a cult. Almost.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I will be very curious to see what transpires in the next few years and where and when there will be accountability if any I hope Leonard Leo decides to retire onto an island somewhere and stop intervening in American politics. Can you remind us the name of your book and where people can find it.
Speaker 4: The name of my book is simply Opus, and you can find it in all good bookstores online and also in your local library. I guess I've reluctantly been dragged back onto Twitter to or so, I guess it's not cool to promote the book and to get interact with people out there. So I'm at Gareth Underscore goal. So it's g A r e t h underscore g O r E perfect.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thanks so much for joining us. I wish we could talk for three more hours.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Okay, thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: Wow, that was a great interview. Thank you, Gareth.
Speaker 3: Thank you Gareth.
Speaker 1: So I have a takeaway from this that I want to get your thoughts on, Lola. I mean, I have a million takeaways. Like we said, we could talk to him for days. But one of the real big red flags and the story for me was how it all began and this self sacrifice way of thinking and living that I think just lends itself so easily to abuse. And in the two by two culture which I grew up in, it's called dying to self and that was something we were supposed to do every single day, and it really shuts down a huge part of your mind, body, soul, everything because you learn to not trust your instincts, to not want what you want, to tell yourself no, and it's all kind of shrouded in this umbrella of and that's what God wants.
Speaker 3: Wait, so what was what did that look like in your religion?
Speaker 1: Well, in my religion, it looked like you didn't wear what you wanted to wear. You couldn't wear makeup, no jewelry, you couldn't watch movies or television denying. Yeah, don't follow your dreams, like be something small and humble and modest, and it does stand out.
Speaker 5: Die to yourself every.
Speaker 3: Day, right right, right?
Speaker 5: And some people find that harder than others. I was not able to die to myself at all ever. I just felt guilty that I couldn't. But I would.
Speaker 1: You have my friends meet me at school with normal clothes and makeup, and I'd watch movies when I spent the night at their house. But whereas other people were actually following the rules, right.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit harder for them to find their bearings.
Speaker 2: Some shit, right well, I mean there's a reason that colts have a dress code so much of the time, right, Like the way when you're allowed to express yourself as an individual and do things that you just think are fun, are that make you feel good? Having an individual self makes you less controllable for the group.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's something about that self sacrifice that you see a lot too. And like Kundalini yoga or like dying to your ego, that just puts a dagger in your identity and you feel so guilty for wanting to be free of whatever thought system you're under, because it just feels like self will I'm not I'm being selfish. It's just it's a really hard blow to overcome, so right, you know.
Speaker 2: I wonder, I'm so curious about the emotion of guilt because obviously, like basically every cult has their members feeling guilty all the time, like they're not doing enough or not good enough, or not achieving some impossible, unachievable standard. And I wonder, like, you know, we talk about how anxiety hijacks our bodies and like traa like if we're triggered into a past trauma we have PTSD, like that hijacks our bodies.
Speaker 3: I'd be very curious to.
Speaker 2: Know more about, like what guilt does to our bodies and how that impacts our critical thinking because anything that you know activates you and makes you disregulated is gonna mess with your ability to think clearly right, So surely guilt would fall under that as well. I mean, I haven't thought of that about that before, but.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it totally shuts down the prefrontal lobes it's like it's like the opposite of taking mushrooms. But yeah, I could just when he was speaking about, you know, the women that are doing some of this domestic labor and under so many rules and stuff. If I was one of these women, I'm just gonna focus on the women that are kind of being trafficked, are being domestic I'm gonna just call it exploit friends. Yeah, I could see almost being brainwashed to thinking, well, this is dying to self, this is serving the Lord, and maybe somebody who has my best interest at heart telling me like no, you're being abused would feel like the actual abuse of scary narrative, like that was the going against God, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, and that's the manipulation, that's like, that's how they try it deep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so deep.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're so good. Their cults are so good at doing what they do. Those fuckers.
Speaker 1: Well, we have lots more to talk to you about, lots more cults coming up.
Speaker 5: They're never ending. That's uh, I guess one.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 5: One thing we got. We hope we see you again here next week.
Speaker 1: And as always, remember to follow your gut watch.
Speaker 2: Out for rad Fox and never Ever Trust Me Bye. Trust Me is produced by Kirsten Woodward, Gabby Rapp and Steve Delemator.
Speaker 1: The Special Things to Stay para and.
Speaker 3: Her theme song was composed by Holly amber Church.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram at trust Me Podcast, Twitter at trust Me Cult Pod, or on TikTok at trust Me Cult Podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Ula Lola on Instagram and Ola Lola on Twitter.
Speaker 1: And I am Megan Elizabeth eleven on Instagram and Babraham Hits on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Remember to rate and review and spread the word.