Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead.
Speaker 2: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rain presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Harry's Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 1: He came flying into the back of.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 1: The Red Seeds Rising Up, temperaturizing vision, flurring, rage taking over.
Speaker 5: Here's Paul Calvic abready, I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you abready, and Ron Wolf sleep.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 5: Leash the fjord, I say, if you need to pick me up, just do what I just did. I just got done watching the Wired piece featuring Jonathan Gannon on the Cardinals YouTube page. Right all Access Cardinals head coach all miked up for a practice because remember JG rhymes with energy and I'm something fired up right now. For this edition to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. In fact, I hope our guest host has packed a lunch for the next sixty minutes. Because Ron wolf Lee on assignment. We welcome Rob Fredrickson back to the airwaves and the Big Red Rage, the former Cardinals linebacker Rob. How are we doing this evening.
Speaker 6: Paulie, I'm fired up? I can tell you're fired up your energy. I mean, may you look good? To paul you've been working out or what?
Speaker 5: Thanks? I've been winning the off season. Nobody's really noticed, so thank you for pointing that out. I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: I don't know, it looks like you've been doing some pull ups on the tall Tall rack or something in the bathroom, would it?
Speaker 3: What's good?
Speaker 5: Well, anytime you use the word tall and yours, truly, I'll better get out the light at tech. So let's just put it that way. Maybe I'm so fired up because the off season is over. Next stop, Cardinals camp and Cardinals players literally least the veterans literally leaving the facility today the Arizona Cardinals Dignity Health Arizona Cardinals Training Center. Right, you tell me a decade in the NFL, what's that feeling like? Off season's over. Mandatory Mini camp is a rap. You got about five weeks or so until training camp. What are you thinking? What are you feeling as a player?
Speaker 6: You know, for the most part, I think, especially with a new coaching staff coming in and a new culture, which we'll talk about, you're gonna see a lot of guys staying around. You're gonna see a lot of guys in here tomorrow working out, Monday working out. So it's not gonna be a big mindset shift. It's just gonna be, you know, a continuation of the off season until training camp starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you had a checklist for Jonathan Gannon in the off season, it would be something like this culture check, accountability check, winning behavior. You're trying to install just that right attention to detail. You're definitely trying to hit the reset button on that. In fact, the question to Jonathan Gannon here at the end of the off season was where exactly does your team stand after Mini Camp?
Speaker 7: At a point there in the offseason, it felt like we were moving fast on a lot of things, a lot of different balls in the air.
Speaker 2: But I really like.
Speaker 7: Where we are as far as where we are right now at the end of mini camp and a lot of work to be done this summer, but I think that we set a good foundation for when we come back here. You know it's going to be ratcheted up, just to tad just.
Speaker 5: A bit when you get to Cardinals camp. One of the comments that stood out to me was Xavin Collins in the media last week. Robin he said in a quote players they feel the pressure, and it's a good thing. You have new decision makers with a new head coach and a new GM, and attendance was one hundred percent across the board. Not everyone was on the field, but everyone was in the building. And uh, I'm guessing that's not a fluke that you know in a in a situation, in a league where you have to always compete for your job. Guess what. There are new eyes on this roster.
Speaker 6: Oh there are. And you know, look, you're gonna have buy in from the rookies and the and the rookie free agents that have been brought in. You're gonna have that automatic buy in. They're they're they're trying to make the squad. They're trying to put their best foot forward and and show this coaching staff what they can do. And what they're all about. So you're gonna have that whether or not the coaching staff's new or it's been here for ten years. It's it's the veterans and it's it's the the veteran free agents and the veteran players that you need to get that buy in from. And I think they're getting it because they want to also prove it. It's one of those those prove it mentality things. When you bring in a new coaching staff, you got to and you're not one of their guys, you're not one of their draft picks or one of their free agent players that they brought in. Uh, you need to prove it. You need to show them that you are a part of this team and an integral part of this team moving forward.
Speaker 5: I've talked to a number of guys who have started the conversation with Look, the allegiances that used to exist, they vanished. There are no more allegiances between the GM and the head coach and most of this roster. So when you talk about buying in and proving it, spoken like a true former player, because that's exactly what Hollywood Brown had to say this week when he was on with Wolf and Luke.
Speaker 8: I feel like everybody's in that mode of really trying to prove it and trying to be that team. We know we can be. Guys done been on good teams. You know, guys done came from good programs or other teams, are good colleges, so you kind of know what it takes. So for us, it's being here, being together, jelling, buying into whatever these coaches are laying out, and that's how we're going to beat a team that we want to be.
Speaker 5: Dennis Gardak saying this week and I quote, accountability has definitely been ratcheted up, and it was a little uncomfortable at first. There's sort of a new I mean, there's definitely a new head coach and there's a new way about things. But Rob, to me, it was absolutely necessary because how many times of the last couple of years did we talk after games about Cardinals beating Cardinals. That accountability, the attention to detail, which matters in the NFL. Little things are big things. For example, we were talking about penalties and I asked Greig Greeler the other day, I just said, didn't the Cardinals finish top three last year? And then two years earlier they had led the league in penalties, and it was true. And Craig Grier loose style. His new nickname is AI, by the way, for artificial intelligence. He drilled deeper into it. You realize the Cardinals had one hundred and eighteen accepted penalties last year, that was most in the NFL, and fifty two of them were pre snap, the most pre snap penalties in the NFL. To me, that's attention to detail.
Speaker 6: It's completely attention to detail. It's discipline. And you know, the product they put on the field last season, quite frankly, it just wasn't good enough, Paul. And so for them to come into this offseason and come into these training mini camps and not you know, be on their toes, that that would be even more concerning.
Speaker 2: But they didn't.
Speaker 6: They came in, they put their best foot forward, the players, and they they're buying into what Gannon is trying to do. And and it's a culture shift, it's a change. And they're they're they're not good enough to be blase and then where's the tea time after after practice. They're not that good right now, good enough to do that right now? They really need to focus on the minute small details and get those things really hunkered down. Otherwise you know it's it's going to be a struggle.
Speaker 5: I mean, think how many players this offseason have told us about the Cardinals emphasis and offense to run the ball, right, I mean, whether it's Cole McCoy or Will Hernandez, de Jumfrees, James Connor. In fact, we're talking to Keanta Ingram here in a few moments, Cardinal's running back just about that new attitude, the new approach, especially on offense. But there's going to be a much more physical style of football, at least that's the way the coaching staff tells it. That's the vibe the players are getting. Obviously, it's what Jonathan Gannon calls pajama ball in the offseason. You've yet to go full contact, full speed, full pads, but I think it's gonna look different, just the brand of football rob once we get to August and Cardinals camp.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's a coaching staff in the NFL that doesn't say we're going to emphasize the run game this year. The difference is will you stay committed and true to that mantra? Will you stay committed to running the ball? When maybe the last possession was three and out and you went three and out for two or three possessions in a row, will you continue to stay dedicated to running the football? I think, look, look for Kyler Murray's growth, and this is this is an important year for him. Obviously, first you got you got to get him healthy and get him on the field, but for his growth to have an offense and their mentality, the number one mentality being run the ball. I think that's only going to ben a that Kyler. The play action pass comes off of that, and he can he can make some of those throws on time, which is going to be a point of emphasis is getting that ball out of his hands on time so he doesn't take those hits and he doesn't have to run around and try and add lib that. That to me is really going to spell growth for Kyler. And if Kyler's growing and if Kyler's benefiting from that run game, and the entire team is really going to benefit.
Speaker 5: And we're going to talk again at count Ingram about that run game. We're also going to hear Jonathan Gann and Wired Up a little bit later in the show, and we'll talk about XAVI and Collins Isaiah Simmons, who I think are the two biggest individual questions on the Cardinals defense. But did zoom out in this brand new defense. If you were to ask me the position groups that are most undecided so far the most to figure out, I'd say the top three are on the defensive side of the ball, between D line, corner and edge. What do you what are you going to be looking for once we get around August in the three preseason games and you're camp Nick Rowlis. You know, young defensive coordinators Jonathan Gannon's system coming from Philadelphia, but you know there's so many question marks and unknowns with this Cardinals defense. Where do you start? You think once we get to August.
Speaker 6: I think primarily you hit the nail on the head is cornerback. That's the key position. But also getting pressure on a quarterback and who are going to be those outside redge, outside edge pass rushers that the Cardinals can rely on and get some good pressure and get some good movement in the pocket there. That's going to be important. And then obviously we talked about it a little bit Isaiah Simmons and Zae and Collins, where do they fit in his defense? They're too good athletically to not have a prominent role in this defense.
Speaker 5: It was interesting. Zach Ertz was asked by Wolf and Luke about the offense. He said, how different is it from a last year? He said, it couldn't be more different. What Cliff was doing, what Drew Petsen is doing right now. On defense. I'm curious because Jonathan Gannon led the NFL in sacks a year ago with the Eagles. He had seventy to fifteen, more than any other team. But they didn't have to blitz. They didn't have to they had an unbelievable front seven. Yeah, this year, remember John and again is famous saying adapt or die. I think he might be forced to dialod up a lot more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's all about personnel. And if you don't have to bring that extra man or two men, and you can get away with Russian four, that's obviously the primary thing that you want to have accomplished. But if you have to bring those extra guys, I expect Gannon to dial it up.
Speaker 5: A season six episode four Cardinals flight Plan if you haven't seen it, great stuff. I mean up and down the war room with Manti asin Ford. Just go to the Cardinals YouTube page, YouTube dot com slash a Z Cardinals. The rookies going out to a d Backs game. Lots of good stuff, all right, he was a rookie last year. Year two for Keanta Ingram, he's our B two, we think behind James Connor. We'll talk about all that and more. Rob Frederickson in for Wolf on the big red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 9: Very straight drop back looking to throw, dumps it off short left pought Binger to the thirty drunk attackle dear side forty runs right forty.
Speaker 4: Five, so it's another tackle. Ingram had a fifty yard line, tries to cut it back and finally take it down. But that's a gain of twenty five for Keyante Ingram.
Speaker 1: You talk about run after the catch right there, that is big time.
Speaker 9: Kyante snapped to Murray, gonna give to Ingram, running straight ahead.
Speaker 5: Ingram's diving for the goal line and he's into the end zone.
Speaker 4: This curse NFL touchdown.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Right there, Baby, light up in the pistol, hand the ball off to Kyante Ingram. Let him stick that thing in there. A great job at the point of attack.
Speaker 5: Hey, you want someone who can run it, someone who can catch it, someone who can make a man miss or powered in from the goal line like that two yard touchdown his first career against the Saints last year. You want someone who could be a two hundred and forty pounds power back like he was at Texas, or a two hundred and twenty pounder who's going to make you miss. That would be our guest tonight on the Big Red Rage Keyonte Ingram All presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan Ford, Keante is no longer a rookie. It is year two. How are you different this time this year versus this time last year when we first met you and talked to you.
Speaker 2: Just my knowledge of the game and how I approach it, you know, just sitting around veterans who did it over and over, especially like James Connor, then learning from you know, Benjamin, then big hump over there, you know how hump is. You know, So just sitting in a room those guys, you don't have no choice but to soak off all the knowledge, squad tissue word, just small detailed things, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 5: You know, I remember you saying between I don't know, high school Texas and then your final year at USC you studied James Connor. You used to study his film when you were in college.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, most definitely. I study probably any running back you can think of, man, I think that's a running.
Speaker 5: So what have you learned being a teammate of James Connor as guy has gone to two Pro Bowls?
Speaker 2: Man, One thing I learned being discipline and consistent. You know, it's not about going out there and throwing them the most amount of weight. It's about going out there and being consistent, going out there every day and doing it. You know. That's the point that I learned from James Connor. And then just getting close to him. You see why he's a Pro Bowl. You see why you having you.
Speaker 5: Having so Keyanta Ingram is our guest here in the Big Red Rage, and we asked him about you recently and he just talked about the leap you've taken from year one to year two. So just talks in terms of your ability, your skill set. You know, what do you wane right now? How is it feeling out and how are you fitting into this offense? Or give us an overall update on you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, man, So the off season going great. I'm two hundred and twenty pounds right now, I'm feeling lean, I'm feeling mean. At the same time, the system's gonna fit me well. Me and James Connor were both excited about it, especially us being more downhill body type guys, bigger back type guys. So we excited learning the system, getting familiar with it. Just the time and the catuses the chemistry that the office need, just breaking all those points down, and I feel like we got a pretty good preview of that come out of Ota. So now we got a little bit momentum going in fall camping, just trying to get.
Speaker 5: Ready for zach Ertz was asked in this studio a couple of days ago, just how different is this offense versus last year, and he said it couldn't be any more different. So kind of filling the blank, I mean, you know what, what what are some of your initial takeaways of this scheme by Drew Petsing multiple offense.
Speaker 2: That's how I like to look at it. You got to run in the past, We're gonna be a lot more balanced. I feel like that's what the team kind of wanted. You can tell the big guys up front kind of want that too. So if they wanted, we want at the zame dumb.
Speaker 5: So what's it like for running back when you're getting the handoff from a quarterback that's under center versus when you're in the gun?
Speaker 2: I say time in reaction of the play you got. I know where you're going and what movie you're gonna make getting it from the five yards from the line of scrimms, because at the end of the day, you five yards form a line of scrimmers. You know the difference coming downhill man, you got the best seed in the house. You know everybody want that, you know, so, uh now we're getting that opportunity. Now it's time to go maximize.
Speaker 5: So whether it's Will Hernandez or DJ Humphreys or Colt McCoy, James Connor, I mean even Zach Er, it's everyone. When asked about this offense, their first initial takeaway is we're gonna run the ball more right, And there's that enthusiasm you smile. What is it about that? I mean, you know how fired up does that get you? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, locked and loaded? You know it was back some of the stuff we kind of do. I kind of did a high school a little bit, so I'm very excited there, especially just to see new faces, see how we're gonna use them in the offense and use everybody to that capability. I feel like that's the fun part about it. You can tell everybody. Boy.
Speaker 5: So, so for those who don't know, Kanta Ngrim is our guest. You were a big time high school for in the state of Texas. You won a couple of state titles in the Cowboys Stadium Kyler won three, right. I mean, you guys have a lot in common. You were one of the most highly sought after recruits in the country, went to Texas, finished at USC. I mean, it's interesting between you, Kyler, Colt McCoy, even Clayton Tune big time. You know, for those of us who have only read the book or seen the movie or the TV series Friday Night Lights, how real is that to the fabric and culture of being a Texan.
Speaker 2: I feel like the best way to sum it up is just to say it's a religion. I feel like most states don't take on the grit that Texas take on. And I'm aware that we'll prize.
Speaker 5: So you were like a USA today, all American is like a sixteen or seventeen year old. What was that like? I mean, you were a legitimate celebrity halfway through high school, weren't you.
Speaker 2: No, it was it was very different, you know, especially with football. But I kind of it's in our culture, It's in our blood, you know, So you really don't look at it like that until you really go. I guess outside of the states such as like USC and do you really see the difference in it, you know? But yeah, man, I feel like it's just in our blood.
Speaker 5: You seem like you're really grounded. But was there a version of teenage version of Kanty Ingram who maybe got a big ego, a big head.
Speaker 2: Uh. I never was a big ego guy. I was very confident, confident, you know. I really believe in my abilities, what I can do. How I see the game. I've been playing the game since four or five years old, way back in flag football, you know, and the mechanics still the same. I still got to put it in the end zone and you got to have the extra grid to have it. And I feel like I haven't lost it, you know.
Speaker 5: So before I asked Kanty Ingram about Kyler Murray. Let's hear it from Hollywood. Brown recently on The Wolf and Luke Show, just talking about how motivated Kyler is these days.
Speaker 8: Kyle is a guy, he's a competitor. So for him, you know, he hear the talks of oh he not gonna be able to do this or do that.
Speaker 5: He gonna be so for him.
Speaker 2: He's dolled in.
Speaker 8: You know, He's always been a chip on his shoulder guy, so he got even bigger chip now he's just he's going after.
Speaker 5: What do you see? I mean, you've been familiar with Kyler's game since high school? What do you see this year as he rehabs from the torny ac all?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, you see it. I mean you check his resume. Hout to speak for itself, you know, and when you're on that level, that's what come with it. And the guys who been in those doors a couple of times or know what that feel like that we understand, you know, we see it, and we all behind them. You know, at the end of the day, you know, he's our captain, he's athletic.
Speaker 5: We're gonna roll With NFL Network the other day they showed a replay Cardinals Seahawks from Week nine. It was the first game where the Cardinals took the opening possession and scored a touchdown, and as part of that drive, Kyler ripped off a big third down run. You could just see how deflating that was for Seattle's defense.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: What does that do? Like when you're in the huddle and you're on the field and then all of a sudden Kyler breaks loose and he makes it to the sticks. How backbreaking is that for a defense? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, that's very backbreaking, especially when you put in hours, hours and then you got the pocket collapses just to keep him in the pocket. Then he get a big game on third down. You know, that's backlash, especially with an athlete like that, who can throw it and run it, you know what I'm saying, And who can know the game, who can line everybody up and be consistent with it, you know, especially put being five to ten, you know what I'm saying. You just can't go out there and do that at five ten.
Speaker 5: So how much respect does he get just running the ball from the running backs Kyler Murray?
Speaker 2: Oh he got a lot of respect. BA at the end of the day, you know, We're here for a reason. No, that's good. That's good.
Speaker 5: And look, I mean, how do you see yourself fitting into this? We know the days of a single premiere, three hundred and four hundred carry running back in the NFL or dead with the exception of maybe Derrick Henry. Okay, I mean, you got to have more than just James Conner. It's a seventeen game season. So as you envision and have goals for this season, what do you hope to achieve this.
Speaker 2: Year to be the best version of me for the sake of the team. You know, I'm a young guy, haven't done nothing yet. I'm still earning my strikes for my teammates, guys who won Pro bos and stuff like that. So be that it factor when I step in line and then when my numbers call h That's the biggest thing for me, you know.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: Xavi and Collins said the other day that players feel the pressure with a new GM, a new head coach. He said, it's a good thing. It's definitely ramped things up. But tell us what is the vibe like? What is the culture like? Since Jonathan Gannett.
Speaker 2: Took over oh Man, different different approach, a lot more guys discipline, you know, being consistent of what they want and how they approach their business going coming through the door. I feel like that's the main thing you could tell workout programs, practice, how JG take care of us. But when it's time to go, it's time to go, you know. And that's one thing he preached about the game, you know. So you feel in the locker room, you're hearing the guys voices. You hear guys excited here, guys motivated, you know, regardless of what outside. That's what come with it, you know. But man, we're excited where to go.
Speaker 5: He talks about winning behavior versus non winning behavior, and he doesn't hesitate the whole guy's accountable, does he?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 5: Because you hear it on the practice field. What's it like behind the scenes, because guys have told stories where he'll call someone on a meeting to make sure they're paying attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, he caught me a few times. Yeah, he caught me a few times.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, man, JAG just want the best for us in the sake of the team. You know what I'm saying. He pulled me over one time they're in Bob Hemling. He's like, man, I hope the guys really understand men and hides and the low days. You know what I'm saying. I like, Coach, they understand you know, you feel in the locker room, you see it in the energy.
Speaker 5: So were you ready when he called on you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Heck yeah?
Speaker 5: What do you want to know? Was it in the playbook? Was it a scheme question? What did he come at you with?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: No, he was just asking me. He was just telling me about, you know, gaining the team trust as far as like how we operated in and how the guys feel about high days and low days. High days we go full speed, load days when we make it easy, you know, and hopefully the guys don't get frustrated with the approach that we take it.
Speaker 5: So, you know, the music's playing. It save you. You're saved by the music, Conte, because I was going to bag on you for USC destroying the Pac twelve and leaving for the Big ten. I mean, come on, how does that? How does that make sense? Kante? USC in the Big ten? Come on, what's going on there?
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense, man, It makes a lot of sense. That do you take over the pay You gotta do something.
Speaker 5: Well, look, we're looking forward to you and James Connor and that whole running back room. I know the narrative in the NFL is the running back position has been devalued. I have a feeling you guys are gonna prove everyone different this year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I got it. I got that feeling.
Speaker 5: Toote bust de luck this season. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, thank you.
Speaker 5: There you go. County Ingram Cardinals running back. You know what, he's got some downtime until training camp starts the end of July. We continue with the Big Red Raid presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 2: Let's go out of huddle, get your eyes to the offense.
Speaker 5: Get know the huddle, Get your eyes in the offense.
Speaker 11: How you showing getting all the mental adjustments checks. You know what I think we gotta do a better job of is getting us I'm you on at the offense, you know, get him out of the huddle and get your eyes to the offense. We shouldn't be like mulling around, like looking around at each other, like get your eyes of the offense. So we can start identifying. Be ahead of the motion. Yeah, like we gotta break, get in a huddle, getting Yeah, a little too late. We got guys like kind of moving around us and that like you set that tempo, get in.
Speaker 5: Down the huddle, let's go. That's what I was talking about. Off the top of the show. It's a little clip there, Jonathan Gann wired up at OTAs he's talking to Kaiser Whitest, quarterback of the defense, the middle linebacker. I tell you Rob Frederickson sitting in for Ron Woefully Paul Kelbc over here. And it's a simple age old question, but not everyone agrees, so true or false, Rob Frederickson. A team takes on the personality of its head.
Speaker 6: Coach's that's the total truth. That's that's truth and true in business, in life, you take on the personality of your leader. And because that's that's a position, that person is in the leadership role.
Speaker 5: You did the college thing, right, Michigan State. Yeah, you did the pro thing. You know, the Lions and the Cardinals and the Raiders, former first round pick. Does it have stain power that sort of energy with a bunch of grown men with mortgages and kids to support? You know that whole energy thing. How do you think that works over the course of an entire season. And I bring that up in the context that it is genuine, I mean from all aspects and perspectives. I mean that is just genuine natural energy that you get twenty four to seven with Jonathan Gannon.
Speaker 6: It works easier in college because you have a bit more control over the players. Where it wears thin in the professional game is when you keep stacking losses after losses after losses, and you know, you keep hearing that same message. That's where it can wear thin on these guys. You're right, they got mortgages, they're professionals, they're adults. You gotta find a way to motivate them. But yet you can't be too raw rab because at the end of the day, these guys are professionals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's not to say that he is ra ra all the time. I shouldn't give that that sense because look, we've heard stories. Zavian Collins with a great story in the offseason about how he came into meeting number one, team meeting number one, and he's eating his eggs, He's got his breakfast, his little bowl from the cafeteria and the next day he shows up and his numbers up on the PowerPoint he got. He was put on blast by Jonathan Gannon. That'll shout not multitask in one of my team meetings, because if you're eating breakfast, then you're not one hundred percent undivided attention on the task at hand, which is this scheme that we're learning about. So I think a lot of that has been instilled. Guys have learned quickly. They've made a few decisions on a couple of players, former first round picks Zavian Collins will get to in a minute. Isaiah Simmons is now running exclusively with the defensive backs, and by that we mean that appears to be the one position he is to me tesked with until he proves he can really execute that position. In fact, Isaiah was talking to the media about just that.
Speaker 10: I've been with the defensive backs so far, so you know, we're kind of taking it from there as of now, so moving forward, I'll be with the defensive backs. Feel like I got a real good grasp on the playbook. Everybody in the building's real cool. Everybody knew who we've added players staff as so I'm doing good.
Speaker 5: What's your take. You've watched Isaiah Simmons entire Cardinals career, what do you think about where he's at and where do you think he's going as a player.
Speaker 6: A phenomenal athlete coming out of Clemson. He played virtually every position on defense in college, and all that was on tape. So you know, I can see where a talent evaluator would be mesmerized with with just the raw talent that this player has, and you know, drafting him and bringing him in here and then moving him around to different positions line, inside, linebacker, rushing on the outside, slot corner, some safety, deep, middle safety. It can be a little overwhelming, especially for a young player because there's so much more in this game versus the college game in terms of responsibilities defensively, and when motions and shifts and and things the offense does pre snap, those those change those responsibilities and you have to then change what you're doing, and that can all happen in a in a snap of a finger. So that was that was a lot put on Isaiah early on. So I give him the benefit of the doubt from from that respect. As a player, again, you know, he's he's extremely talented. He's he's a linear player in my estimation, and what I mean by that is he's a straight line guy. You know, he's he's got the straight line speed and he's got the straight line explosion. Where he struggles, though, is that change of direction. And maybe maybe he's got some tight hips where he you know, he can't get in and out of cuts and and and that that shows up in coverage situations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the line that he was drafted to cover the tight end hasn't always excelled in that role, especially against the Travis Kelcey's and George Kittles of the world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not just tight ends either, It's it's running backs coming out of the backfield. I remember early on, I think maybe it was his first game against San Francisco. He was exposed early on, and and you know, the coaching staff may have done him a disservice back then, you know, and in terms of coaching him up and getting him prepared for those situations because it is different than college. You know, the running back is going to run routes differently. Tight ends are going to run routes differently better.
Speaker 5: And maybe his college resume was a disservice to him in some ways. He played so many positions at Clemson. I think it caught the intrigue of the the Cardinals coaches the previous staff and said, Wow, okay, we can make him an X factor. The quarterback's gonna break the huddle. Where's Isaiah Simmons. He could be anywhere on any given play and we're gonna dial him up accordingly. And never quite mastered one position. So you've seen Nick Raulis and Jonathan Gannon tell them you're with the safeties. You're gonna be right behind Buddha Baker and Jalen Thompson. We'll see now, we'll see if he's in the slot quite a bit in certain packages because if you look at the percentage of snaps played, slot corner was the most he played of any position last year. So he could be, especially if you're Thinn at corner in this particular roster. We'll see about that. But that's obviously a very intriguing storyline throughout Cardinals camp. How does he adapt? You know, can he be that guy? And then you have Zaman Collins who was taken Round one a year later, who is your mic linebacker? A year ago. He's now on the outside at least he's been there the entirety of the offseason, and fellow outside linebacker Dennis Gardak had this to say this week.
Speaker 12: He's gotta be one of the smartest outside backers there's ever been, just coming from inside. He knows how everything's tied together so well. So he's incredibly smart. And then he's actually huge. Yeah, if you guys haven't noticed, I saw a picture of me next to him, and I look like his kid brother.
Speaker 5: So and he's not kidding. I mean, he's every bit of six four, might be closer to six ' five. He's two sixty plus. He can move. You talk about covering the running backs and tight ends. I thought that was an underrated part of his game last year. He was really good in coverage downfield at times. What do you think you played outside linebacker for, you know, all those years in the NFL. How does Xavion Collins make the transition? In your opinion, Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's a It's a totally different move for xavan Collins going from middle linebacker to outside linebacker in this scheme where where he's basically coming off the edge. He's an edge rusher, I played outside linebacker. I was I was a coverage linebacker, so totally different. But Zavin, you know, just looking at him from a physical standpoint, he's got all the tools he has. He's he's got got the burst off the line of scrimmage, he's got the size, he's got the strength, and and you heard Gardak talking about his intelligence, so he's got all of the things there. But again just just you know, just like Isaiah Simmons, it's not the easiest thing in the world to just snap your fingers and say, okay, you're you're our outside pass rusher. Now, there there's a there's guys that spend their entire careers and and through college and through high school learning the craft of pass rushing. It's not just like you can just put a guy out there and say go get me twelve sacks this year, and you know that that's that's a tall order, and so you know that's that's going to be interesting to see his development. I think for both of those guys, David Zavid Collins and and Isaiah Simmons, it's a big time prove it.
Speaker 5: Year for everything that Nick Rowlis and Drew Patsen and Jeff Rodgers, the coordinators bring to this Cardinals coaching staff. To me the potential m VP of this staff, Rob rod Rigas the outside linebacker's coach, who was with ASU, A Zavan Collins, A Dennis Gardek, BJ Ojalari. You got a Cam Thomas, my J Sanders in year two? Guys who got to take that leap? I mean he's got a tall task, you know eighteen year thirty six sacks walked out the door last year and Zach Allen and JJ Watt and now you have a XAVI and Collins who who looks as the skill set? And what's interesting, Rob? You tell me? Gardik went on and said that it's going to be so much easier to play outside backer versus Mike because now, look, it's real simple either the plays coming at you or it's going away from you. That it's going to be so much easier to diagnose and react as opposed to playing Mike linebacker. Not to mention he's no loarker calling the defense and responsible for getting everybody aligned.
Speaker 6: Well, I agree, the responsibilities are are more simplified, more distilled at outside linebacker when your primary purpose is to get pressure on the quarterback. Versus middle linebacker where you have to diagnose everything and see everything and communicate pre snap and post snap with all the other players. So you know, there's a lot more on your plate as a middle linebacker versus an outside linebacker from the mental standpoint, but physically again, it's a new learning curve for him and he's going to have to see how, you know, how how quickly he can pick that up.
Speaker 5: By the way, Josh Woods, veteran inside linebackers, said this week to Wolf and Luke that he thinks saving quote is going to be an amazing player in this league. He doesn't even know all he can do at outside linebacker. I thought that was an intriguing comment. Hey, team up with the Cardinals Estate Farm by donating a backpack filled with school supplies for students in need in the Tempe Elementary School District. Support the Virtual Back to School Drive now through June twenty third. Visit Asycardinals dot com slash back to School. That's Aisycardinals dot Com slash back The Number two School will talk offense and wide Receiver next with Rob Frederickson and the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 9: Murray and Shotgun takes the snap, drops back to pass, looks right, throws right. More fought at thirty, turns right twenty five to.
Speaker 4: Twenty four, breaks a tackle to the ten to the five touchdown. There's the explosive play from Rondale More.
Speaker 5: We have been waiting for shotgun formation. Snap to Murray, quick throw a left side.
Speaker 9: It's pot at the one and into the.
Speaker 2: End zone for the touchdown.
Speaker 9: Is Craig dors Murray in an empty set in Shotgun takes the snap, restep drop, looks over the middle, throws and it's bought by Brown.
Speaker 5: First down, makes a man mess at the fifteen, cuts right to the ten.
Speaker 4: Hip Ron is into the end to before the touchdown. Hollywood Brown best Ben spectacular.
Speaker 1: What an incredible play by Hollywood Brown.
Speaker 5: He was spectacular first six games of the season, no argument. He was top five, top seven and catches and receiving yards. I mean it was for a Cardinals offense that really never hit full strike all year, but Hollywood Brown was producing. And Rob Frodgerson sitting in for Ron Wolfe her Dave Pasch there on the call. Welcome back into the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert, who needs size as a receiver. When you get separation, right, that's the mantra with those three guys. They have enough quickness and burst and hopefully the route running that they effectively separate from the defensive back. Now we say that, of course, the Cardinals added some size at the position in the offseason. We'll get a little bit into that, but rarely were those three together a year ago, and now minus DeAndre Hopkins, it would appear those guys are going to get their share of reps. What do you think might be in store in their future this season?
Speaker 6: Well, you mentioned no DeAndre Hopkins. I think that might be a hot take care. I think that might be a good thing for this offense and for Kyler Murray for his growth, and just for Hollywood and for Rondel Moore and for Greg Dortch. I think it might be good for them in that I think at times Kyler relied a little bit too much on his safety blanket DeAndre Hopkins, especially when when things got off schedule, and so you know, I think he's going to spread the ball around a little bit more, get it to the tight ends, get it to the backside of the backfield, and if Rondell Moore can stay healthy, you know him and him in the slot position, or Dorsch. You know Dortsche. Dorts showed a lot last year, so I think, you know, I think he's really got something to build off of. And and Hollywood Brown. You know, speed kills it still does in this league. And you mentioned it if if you got the speed to get that separation, Kyler can find those those receivers.
Speaker 5: Jonathan Ganna talked about from a DB's perspective, because that's the position group he coached the most in the NFL. Just how Hollywood Brown can get you at different points in a rout He has those different explosive levels in his route running, so it's very curious as to how he might be utilized, especially minus of DeAndre Hopkins. In fact, he was asked about his expected role Marquise Hollywood Brown with Wolf and Luke.
Speaker 8: I'm really excited about off as fil We're gonna have a ballancet attack. I'm gonna be used in a different ways. You know, You're gonna put me in the best ways for me to see see and it might look different each and every game. That's one thing that I like My role could be different going from game to game, and I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: I tell you.
Speaker 5: You know, you think about the way he was used in Baltimore, right when he was third option at Best Right, it was run first, Mark Andrews second, Hollywood Brown third. Last year with DeAndre Hopkins. To your point, when he wasn't the security blanket, I thought Kyler was guilty sometimes of forcing balls to d hop Maybe he didn't want to hear about it on the sideline, but there was an unmistakable chemistry between Kyler and Hollywood Brown from the get go last year, was there not.
Speaker 6: Well, they've had that chemistry for years, right, dating back to their times at Oklahoma. So yeah, there's definitely chemistry there between Kyler and Hollywood. So and that's something that you know, you want to build on as an offense. Obviously, Hollywood is going to be the number one option in this offense. But you know, with the new regime coming in and with with Gannon instilling this this new culture of just you know, giving your all on every play regardless of if the ball is coming to you, I think that that's gonna that's gonna matter more than anything because it's going to force defenses to play you honestly, you know, in the past, if a receiver wasn't getting the ball, he'd barely jog and it was so frustrating to watch, you knows as a former player. Frustrating I bet for fans to watch these guys just kind of jogging through their routes knowing that they're not getting the ball. Well, you know, make make the defensive back and make the safety respect you, and make them not cheat and make them, you know, accountable as well. So you know, that's what I'm excited to see from this wide receiver group.
Speaker 5: And oh, by the way, Hollywood Brown in a contract here. Yeah, so I think you're going to see all out effort. Not that you wouldn't, I mean, he's a ball or to begin with, talks of his background going to junior college, route, etc. But it's interesting to note that every receiver at inter free agency or the draft was six foot or taller, including a Zach Paskell who's six to two and very physical. And then there's the draft pick, six foot two Michael Wilson, the third rounder out of Stanford, and he was asked this week how he's progressed in his rookie off season.
Speaker 13: I feel really confident. I think if I had a grade myself, I think I've done pretty well. I think I've made the plays that have come my way. I've showed up consistent in my personality, consistent in my work, and I've just attacked every day, just not really trying to do too much to impress anyone, but just show up and be consistent and be myself. And I think if you do that for long enough, you'll start to earn respect from guys.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: If there's one rookie who can hit in camp and really be relied upon, I think all Cardinals fans hope it is Michael Wilson, who had some really bad luck with injuries in his last three years at Stanford. He had a broken collar bone, he had a foot, he had a hand, but really stood out of the Senior Bowl. He already has his degree from Stanford. He's highly intelligent, and they've been putting him at various positions, but mainly the acts. I think you have to figure that out right. The outside receiver in this scheme, whether it's a Michael Wilson, whether it's hyllywood Brown, whether it's Zach Pascal, whether it's all the above. That's really where you have to replace the DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is. And Michael Wilson with his size being six to two and two hundred and fifteen pounds, you know, you want you need guys with with some size and some beef that can go up and get those fifty to fifty balls because not every not every route is going to have separation. You know, these these cornerbacks get paid too, and they're professionals, and there's gonna be some tight, tight windows. And to have somebody with that that kind of size and that kind of presence out there and and to be able to catch the ball with their hands, you know, I think that's huge. And Michael Wilson again it's it's just like every other player on this team. It's a proven year.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 6: You know he talked about not trying to impress anyone, just trying to do his job. Well, that's great, and you've done everything that's been asked of you in the in the prese in the in the off season, and in the mini camps. But coming up here it's going to be proven time.
Speaker 5: And you know what you to me my opinion, agree or disagree, you can tell quite a bit about a receiver or a defensive back in the off season. Lineman, Nah, they're not in pads, it's not full contact, but you can tell does he fight the football, what's his route running like? Is he getting separation? Conversely, corners are they sticking with the receivers. So when you look at a Michael Wilson or a sixth rounder like Key troll Clark, the corner and those two have been battling a lot in these off season and they talked about that, they've really you know, iron sharpening and iron kind of thing. But I think in those two position groups you can see whether you have potential when you get to the regular season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's it's the one time where it's a little easier for the defensive guy is these off season mini camps and OTA because they watch and they go against these wide receivers all the time, all day, and they see them on film and they know their tendencies and they know the route combinations that the offense are throwing, so they can kind of jump things a little bit and cheat a little bit. But that's the only time where the defense is going to have the advantage. But you're right, It's a great time for wide receivers and for defensive backs to really hone their craft.
Speaker 5: Is there one area that you're thinking, Okay, Jonathan Gannon wants an answer here early in camp. Whether it's that defensive line room that's wide open, whether it's corner. What's the pecking order? Do I have three legit corners, whether it's the rookies and the receiver. I mean, what do you think early in camp a new head coach is looking for, especially in this circumstance, because we know sometimes the decision makers will watch the first couple of days of padded practice and then realize they have a need in certain spots.
Speaker 6: You know, I think Jonathan Gannon really wants to instill that Philadelphia Eagles mentality and that blueprint of offensive line and defensive line. Those are really the two position groups that in my mind, have resulted in the Philadelphia Eagles having so much success recently. And if he can bring that blueprint and bring that here to Arizona and have any measurable, somewhat near amount of success is what they had in Philadelphia, I consider that a win.
Speaker 5: I'm quoting zach Ertz. I think you can see what they are prioritizing as an organization now being the O line in D line. And he said that's the hallmark of a team. If you want to have consistency, you can have all the skill guys you want. You lose a couple offensive linemen. It's really tough to win in this league. And quote Zach Ertz, who by the way, was with Jonathan Gannon for half a season in Philadelphia. Hey, single game tickets on sale now go to Easy Cardinals dot slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. As always special thanks Jim Momhandro, Cody Fincher, Keyante Ingram Cardinals running back Rob Frederickson.
Speaker 6: Rob.
Speaker 5: Great to have you back and we will see you next week. On The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford number one.
Speaker 3: Til you've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan.
Speaker 5: Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Are you santan Ford State Farm Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcasts.
Speaker 2: This has been an exclusive
Speaker 3: Presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club