Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM.
Speaker 2: On iHeartRadio Coast to Coast AM our guest Jay Wider, he believes that the moon landing's happened at some point, but the video you see completely done by Stanley Kubrick back in the nineteen sixties and maybe even subsequent missions, is he got a a bigger budget and some better special effects. And then we started talking about the shining in how that was a confession of sorts from Stanley Kubrick. And one of the things that struck me when I was watching the documentary is when they first go to the hotel and Jack Nicholson is getting his assignment to watch the hotel, the guy at the other end of the desk kind of looks like, Kennedy, you want to speak to that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so when a lot of people don't realize that. When Spartacus, Stanley Kubrick's film was released in nineteen sixty two, a lot of people were criticizing it from the right wing for being a left wing film, and so it was kind of when it started out, Spartacus was kind of wavering and its support and then Kennedy went to see Spartacus, and then he came out and said, no, Spartacus is a great film and made Spartacus one of Cubic's biggest hits. And so Kubrick kind of owed Kennedy a lot. But I think that Kennedy also was discussing, you know, how to do things with Kubrick. We know that Kubrick was recruited by the Department of Information early in the nineteen sixties to do some kind of unknown work. The thing is is that in nineteen sixty three nineteen sixty four, it was kind of well known in the film making community that Kubrick was the next dude. His film Pathsive Glory, Lolita, Spartacus, Doctor Strange Love. They were, you know, in the film community. They were like, Wow, this is the guy. And the US government noticed it and brought him in. And there's no doubt about it. He's always had really deep relations with the military industrial complex. Arthur C. Clark was his co writer of two thousand and one, and he was way deep into the whole military industrial complex, and Kubrick was just the perfect guy to recruit to do this kind of covert work. His work in Doctor Strangelove with the B fifty two flying over Siberia, which was done with a model wasn't real at all. The Air Force saw that and went, oh my god, this guy is like he can make anything.
Speaker 2: Happen and wants to screen. Like, when I watch it on your documentary, it looks a little uh, you know, it looks it needs some work now. But I bet when you saw it on a big screen back in the day, it probably looked very impressive.
Speaker 3: Oh it did, And yes, of course it doesn't look anywhere near what they can do nowadays. But this is way before digital or any kind of computer effects reformed. He was doing this all with in camera effects, and as a filmmaker, I can tell you what he was achieving was incredible at his day and age, and no one else was anywhere near the effects that he was achieving in both Doctor Strangelove and two thousand and one Space Odyssey. So what I'm pretending is that two thousand and one of Space Odyssey was the template for him to learn how to do it, and then later he did it in like nineteen sixty nine and seventy just really because they didn't want the Soviet Union to understand what kind of technology we had. It wasn't like a gigantic cover up to hide things in a way that a lot of the conspiracy theories think serious thing. It's really just the idea that you don't really want your enemy to see what you've got the sun zoo, you know, art of war kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So when why confess it in the Shining? Then if he basically pulled it off, the you know, the secret filmmaking masterpiece that he did, why confess to it? Or why give those easter eggs in the Shining? And let's cover some of those here before we got to break because we when we come back, we got to get into the whole JFK thing because I don't want to miss that either your new documentary. It just seemed like this is a good time on the anniversary to start with the moon. So let's talk about the room number that you shouldn't go in in what the significance of that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So in the movie, you know, Danny, the boy is worn by Hallerin who is the cook at the Shining at the Overlook Hotel, to not go into room to thirty seven, and he is about an hour into the film. Danny is playing with his toy trucks in the hallway in one of the hallways of the Overlook Hotel, and the whole entire geometry of where he's playing on the carpet is very similar to the launch pad thirty nine A where the Apollo eleven was launched, and Danny is wearing a sweater that says Apollo eleven with a rocket that's taking on. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: In the beginning of the movie too, you're talking about how everybody's kind dressed in red, white and blue, which you don't even really notice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the very first time that you meet Danny and Wendy in The Shining, they're both dressed in red, white and blue, and Wendy is reading Catcher in the Rye, which was written by deep intelligence officer J. D. Salinger, who actually debreathed the Nazis at the end of World War Two. So you know, you're like wondering, what is Stanley trying to tell you here? And I think he's trying to tell you that the that the Shy, that the Overlook Hotel is actually America, and that it is part of this scheme to create the moon landing and uh, and Stanley is telling you it over and over. So every time he deviate from the book, he's telling you his confession. So in the book, the room is two seventeen, but in the movie it's Room two thirty seven. And it was well known at the time. You can look it up that the scientific analysis of the distance of the Moon from the Earth in nineteen sixty nine or nineteen sixty eight when he was making two thousand and one was two hundred and thirty seven thousand miles. He changed.
Speaker 2: I mean, you pick up on a lot of stuff. What about the part of the movie that I think when your documentary you spelled this out pretty well. The all work in no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Jack is writing a book. That's the whole reason he came to the overlook to spend the winter there. He wants to write the great American novel. And he tells Wendy, don't interrupt me when I'm writing my book. But Wendy's wrote curious. So when he goes into his room and picks up his novel that he's writing and realizes that Jack's writing the same sentence over and over, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. And then you look and you realize that the all has the letters l LL looking exactly like the numbers one one, and then you realize it's saying a one to one or Apollo eleven. Work makes Jack a dull boy, and Jack is clearly portraying in the movie Stanley Kubrick. He even looks like Stanley Kubrick. He justice Stanley was a nice, clean cut guy when he started making two thousand and one his Face Odyssey. By the end he had a beard that was uncamped, his clothes were dirty. He looks exhausted, and that's exactly what happens to Jack Nicholson throughout the movie of The Shining. He starts out all nice and clean and everything, but by the end of the movie he's just, you know, completely unkept. And this is him portraying Stanley Kuban.
Speaker 2: Do you know, did Stephen King like that version of the movie.
Speaker 3: Stephen King absolutely hated The Shining and was actually paid a million dollars by Warner Brothers to stop criticizing the movie in the movie. Okay, So in the book The Shining, Jack, the lead character, has a red Volkswagen. Yes, in the movie, Jack, played by Jack Nicholson has a yellow Volkswagen. But when Howard and the cook in the movie is try to get to the overlook, he passes a very terrible car accident on the road in Denver, and the car accident consists of a giant am I crushing a red Volkswagen. It's clearly Stanley Kubrick telling Stephen King that I crushed your vehicle and I've repossessed. Wow, just stopped, Stephen King.
Speaker 2: What do you think that? What's the most significant scene? If people want to be like, oh, there it is? Do you think it's the I was thinking might be the Twins, but you might have a different take on this, the Gemini Twins. What is your what does your take on that? And what do you think the most important confessional scene in that movie is?
Speaker 3: I think the most important scene is when Wendy comes in, Shelley Duvall comes in, and she reads the book and realizes that Jack's not writing a book, He's just writing the same sentence over and over all work and no play mixed shack a dull boy. And then she tells Jack that she wants to leave the overlook, that you know they're in danger, and Jack looks at her and confronts her on that famous staircase scene and says, do you have any idea what a contract means? Do you have any idea what my employers would do to me if I didn't fulfill my contract? And I think that that's Stanley talking to.
Speaker 2: His wife because he couldn't really tell anybody what he did, right, But do you think he did confess anybody?
Speaker 3: I do. I believe that he confessed to someone who was actually probably killed because they knew that Stanley had confessed. And you know, I'm not alone in this. By the way, there's a movie called Wag the Dog, which was made, you know, many years after The Moonlighting, in which Dustin Hoffin plays a movie director named Stanley who's invited by the CIA played by Robert de Niro to do action with a fake movie act. And at the end of the movie, Dustin Hoffins running around saying, this is my best work, this is my best work, and then he dies. And so I believe that Hollywood is perfectly aware of what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's not like he stopped making movies at that point. He kind of got into some other weird stuff. I don't know much about when Eyes Wide Shut came out, it was just the freakiest thing I've ever seen. But then you get another fifteen ten years later and he's basically sharing the story of Epstein Island. Am I wrong or are groups.
Speaker 3: Like oh you are? You're right? In fact, this is not only the fifty fifth anniversary of the moon landing, but it's the twenty fifth anniversary of Isyeswai Shut, which just came out twenty five years ago this week, And it's also the twenty fifth anniversary of the death of Stanley qu Riy, so it's a lot of and also Standy Kubrick's birthday is in six days from now, on the twenty sixth of July, so there's a lot of anniversaries here. So yeah, Kubrick released Eye White Shut on the thirtieth anniversary of the of Hollow eleven, launching on July sixteenth, nineteen sixty nine. So in nineteen ninety nine, on July sixteenth, that's the date that Is White Shut was released with its very freaky story of the elites having orgies and crazy parties and Tom Cruise being completely bewildered by what's going on around him and some very interesting film and so we can see over and over that Kubrick is trying to bring you to notice that he was involved in the moon landing. And I'll just say this, right after Kubrick's Odyssey, my film about Kubrick's confession in The Shining, I was notified by close to Christopher Nolan that Christopher Nolan, the film director, was really into my work and that his next film was going to be an homage to Stanley Kubrick. And sure enough, Interstellar came out and it was a complete, you know, homage to Kubrick, including mentioning that the Moonlindings were fake.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more