Speaker 1: All right, hello everyone, and welcome to another edition of the NFL Draft Triple Take, presented by UPMC. I'm Mike Persuda, joined as always by Matt Williamson and Dale Lawy. We are your first line of NFL Draft speculation, and we're here today to take a look at round one in the upcoming NFL Draft. For those about to mock, we salute you, and we remind you as well that these are our opinions. What you're going to see expressed on this program is what we think, not necessarily what anybody else thinks, but hey, everybody's doing it, why not us? Right as well. Let's dive right in and take a look at Dale Lawley's first ten picks. If you're new to the show, this is kind of how we roll through it. We go by thirds one to ten, and then the middle portion and then the bottom third of the draft. So Dale wanted to lead us off, Well.
Speaker 2: We've already seen one trade with the Vice Kings making a deal to have two first round picks. Now, I think they did that with the idea that they're going to move up and get a quarterback. So I've got that trade involved here with them going up to number four to go get JJ McCarthy. I think that's not what I would give up for him. But you know, when you're when you're a quarterback needy team, you give what you need to do to get to get up there to get the quarterback. So I've got four consecutive quarterbacks going to start this draft, and then you start looking at some of the other stuff. Yeah, the Atlanta Falcons, to me, you are an interesting situation here. They could go a couple of different ways here. I've got them taking Byron Murphy, the defensive tackle out of Texas at eight as well. So you know, I think the rest of it's kind of chalky when you get down to you know, to the brass tacks here. But everything's going to hinge on what the Vikings do and who they make that trade with to get up into the into the top ten to get the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes all the sense in the world. I did the same thing with McCarthy and the Vikes, but I had them go into five. Very similar though. I mean Harrison goes four or five. I mean that's pretty much the same. Giants and Titans just sit back and gladly take neighbors and all that works out well, And like you, I had Atlanta taking the first defensive player off the board, as well as brock Bauers going to the Jets after they I mean, they're older guys, but they.
Speaker 4: Just added into two tackles as supposed to go to tackle there.
Speaker 1: Now, I'll make it unanimous on the seventh overall selection, Joe Alt going to Tennessee's. Every once in a while, there are certain guys that just look like they belong with a certain team. Yeah, and there's no science to that, but I think Joe Alt and Tennessee is a match made in heaven. I didn't include any trades in my mach here mock two point zero for those of you who are scoring along at home, and I probably like Drake may better than the other two quarterbacks personally. But part of what I've done here is to sort of guess what the teams might do, and part of it is just to slot what I think a team should do. There's not a whole lot of science to it, but boy, a lot of good players to shoes from. To me, the really interesting one is going to be the Chargers at number five. New regime. No track record in terms of what might happen there, So stay tuned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they could go a lot of different ways. And you know, offensive tackles certainly need so he's wide receiver because well they don't have any right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more of those than tackles though, as this thing true enough, we'll play out though. Let's go back to Dale now and check out picks eleven through twenty.
Speaker 2: I have with the Cardinals sliding back to that eleven spot, with the Vikings taking Quinny and Mitchell as the first cornerback off the board, and then the Broncos go with another quarterback. That would be five in the first round and five in the top twelve. If you're a Steelers fan, you probably want to see that.
Speaker 4: Oh you love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then some of the edge rushers starting to go there. At pick sixteen, you see a couple of edge rushers go off the board in a row there, and the Steelers sit back and they get an offensive tackle in the first round. I like Fatanu. I think there were some questions about whether he could be a guard or a tackle, or whether he was a guard or a tackle. The arm length at the combine of thirty four and a half inches plenty long enough for him to stick a tackle.
Speaker 1: Matt, what's your take on eleven through twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Dale and I spend too much time together, obviously. I mean, I have Fatan who also going to the Steelers. I would plug him in a tackle and if by chance he moves has to move to guard, so be it. But I thought I was being slick putting bow Nixt to Denver, you know. I mean, he's a lot like I'm not saying he's Drew Brees, but he's a quick process or he's very accurate. I think Sean Payton would love him. So I do like that fit quite a bit, although it seems a little bit early. And then I think Jacksonville and Cincinnati sitting there with those two tackles would be thrilled to get that kind of talent in the middle of the first round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dale, you had a tackle going to the Steelers twentieth overall, Matt, you had a tackle going to the Steelers twenty tho overall, look at that about I have a tackle going to the Steelers twentieth overall, I'm going back to the Georgia Store. Marius Mims not the most experienced tackle of the you know, wide variety available this time around, but something very intriguing about him. I've got Bowers going to Indianapolis because I think Bowers is an Indianapolis Coult just strikes me that way. And Bengals, I've got them going tackle as well, but a different tackle. Some of these corners too, I think are just too good to pass up. Terry and Arnold and Quinn and Mitchell to me or slam dunks if you have a big need at death position.
Speaker 4: Both really good player, they'll.
Speaker 1: Probably slam dunks. If you don't have a need at death position, they're still very good.
Speaker 4: They have a lot of good landing spots for those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, a lot of the same names that you guys had, just kind of in a different order. Dale take us home with the bottom third of round number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have the Cardinals Mike at twenty three with that second pick that they acquired, taking Brian Thomas, so they get the receiver that they kind of passed over in the first round and make that trade down. Then you start looking here, some of the cornerbacks start to go here a little run in this second half of this of the draft.
Speaker 4: Here, I just.
Speaker 2: Think you know, with so many good, big bodies early in this draft, I think that the cornerbacks might slip a little bit more than they typically would. And this is a really deep cornerback class. So I kept waiting to slide Terry and Arnold in there somewhere. He was my number one ranked cornerback in this draft. Detroit makes a ton of sense for him easy, a kneecap bier, I think, so he would fit him well there and so, you know, and then for Kansas City, why not go get another wide receiver as well.
Speaker 3: I really like your fit of Barton to the Packers, and you know, sticking with the interior oh line theme, there aren't that many teams that are really in the center market at this point. They got scooped up pretty quick in free agency. But I do think Dallas is one of them, and they end up getting the best one in the draft in my opinion. I also had a trade, you know, for the with the Vikes, and they get there, you know, much needed receiver.
Speaker 4: For the Chargers as well.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia always drafts big guys high lane Johnson's up in age, so that made a lot of.
Speaker 4: Sense to me too.
Speaker 3: And Snuff Darius Robson and at the end too, to the Super Bowl champs. He'll do something on that offense or defensive Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 1: I think maybe his the discussion about whether he's an interior guy or an edge might be taking away from the fact that he's really good.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking at my bottom third, I'll look at that Vikings get their quarterback at twenty three, So why didn't have any trades? They didn't have to trade, and Denver you can get one later. Uh. Again, a lot of the same guys here. One of my favorite players in this draft, Keon Coleman, who spent his first couple of years at Michigan State, really broke out at Florida State. Better quarterback situation, better team, and a lot of touchdowns. You know, he had the slowest combine forty time of his receiver group, but he had the fastest gauntlet drill time. Yeah, he's one of those fast he plays fast times.
Speaker 2: Med DeAndre Hopkins a little bit that he's just going to go up and fight.
Speaker 4: For the football.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, he used to do a little for the rebound when he was at Michigan State. He played football and basketball. Not a lot of guys have done that. I like the Cowboys to do something splashy just because that's what they do. And I think getting the new record holder into forty yard dash Davior Worthy is very apropos for Dallas, and I went with Kamari Lassiter to Detroit. I don't know if I'd necessarily think he's among the top quarterbacks available, but I think he's a Dan Campbell kind of guy, and his lines proved last year. They go on their evaluations, not what everybody else thinks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And one thing I think it's starting to show up with this draft is once you get past twenty five, twenty six, it starts to look like second rounders, you know, and that's a bigger number than usual. I mean, usually the first round has fifteen, sixteen, seventeen surefire first round picks.
Speaker 4: This year's a little deeper with those guys.
Speaker 1: Robinson another guy I think is just a Bald Ravens type of player that's going to do it for this edition. I want to remind everybody that these are, in fact our opinions. So if you're tuning in and joining this stuff, great, but don't read anything more into it. And that's what I think it's what Dale thinks, or that's what Matt thinks. We're gonna keep doing this a couple more times until we hit late April and it's time for the real NFL Draft. I don't want to mind everyone else so that you can find quality programming such as this on all of the Steelers' social media platforms. Until next time. For Matt Williamson and Dal Lawley, I'm Mike Persuda. This has been the NFL Draft Triple Take, presented by UPMC