Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: Ll that for me.
Speaker 1: I'm a man, I'm for.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for a day? Edo Steak?
Speaker 2: Is that woom woom? And then and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt, joining me as always over there in Chicago. Rounding out another week of this long dark preseason, the one and only Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I just gotta say, Tye, between your mysterious day job and the upcoming season and how much work you're putting in, I gotta say, when it comes to preparing and attention to detail, you are a certified freak seven days a week.
Speaker 2: Ty thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you understand the reference certified three? Because if you want me to keep going with lyrics, you're gonna have to get a finger on the like a mute button real quick. Do you do you not know wop?
Speaker 2: Do you not know?
Speaker 1: Carty be? And Wop?
Speaker 2: I am familiar? I have not memorized the lyrics.
Speaker 1: Well, that's how it starts out, and I don't think it would be fair to our listeners for me to go on further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at the lyrics so quickly. We would have to add the explicit tag to the podcast, to say the least.
Speaker 1: But I did. I did do some additional research on the song as it relates to college football, because as I was looking over Arkansas things for today's SEC preview, I started in the back of my head singing, there's some hogs in this house. There's some hogs in this house, and it disappointed me. That's the first time I thought, Okay, there's gonna be no bands because wop might be the song like it was with Old Town Road last year. But I don't know if it translates to a marching band and or kids singing something in the crowd. That feels like it would have been the candidate and so so it would either be Arkansas maybe Virginia with there's some who's in this house? No? Yes, yeah, no, I could see it. I could see Baylor. There's some bears in this house. Okay, you know what I'm replacing, right, I'm looking at the lyrics. I know what you're okay, No, but do you see what I'm replacing in terms of the sample? Yeah? Yeah, yah, yeah, yeah, okay, I'm just making sure I got I guess there could be some dogs in this house for Georgia Mississippi state, but I think that's too much of a stretch. But I think I land with there's some hogs in this house being the best analog to Cardi b and Megan the Stallion.
Speaker 2: Well with that as sort of our kind of intro as my dog is, You've got the dog in the background, all works up but to a lather. Dan Dog's not the only one apparently, Yeah, I have tie. He is Dan Rubinstein. This is the Solid Verbal. We've done previews now for the Big twelve for the ACC and now we're rounding out our Power three previews with this one. For the SEC. I've got the East, Dan has the West. We will go through those conferences. We'll go through some news here at the top of the show as well. Don't forget if you like the show, if you want to subscribe to the show, you can find all of the links for that. Be at Apple, be at Google, be at Spotify, out on our website at solidverbal dot com. You can also find our newsletters sign up there which winkwink, nudge, nudge. We would encourage you to sign up for Pronto. You could also follow along on social media on Instagram, on Facebook, on Twitter. I also said I almost said Snapchat, which we don't do. We do have a subreddit, though, which I know, I'm told is just as good. Soliverbal Dot.
Speaker 1: You're told you.
Speaker 2: Can join up with our teaming community of verbal ers if you'd like to get in on the action and talk about the show long after the final bell as a sitter on the show. Do we just want to start with news? Is that cool with you? We've got a lot to cover tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've got news and we've got a big conference to talk about. I think we should do it. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: We had prokig news. This actually was real breaking news.
Speaker 1: Dan Boop boop. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jamie Freakin Newman. Jamie Newman, the presumed starting quarterback for the Georgia Bulldogs, who I'm going to talk about at length this evening has opted out of the twenty twenty college football season because of coronavirus concerns, So this is a big deal. Jamie Newman comes over. They're running this new system that, as we'll discuss, is going to emphasize hopefully the deep ball and the vertical passing threat. He's good deep ball quarterback. Was hoping to improve his draft stock by coming over to play for the Georgia Bulldogs. He ain't playing. The skepticism was that maybe he lost out to JT. Daniels. I'm also skeptical of that angle because JT. Daniels has not officially been cleared to play yet. So a lot going on here, But suffice to say, Jamie Newman opting out is kind of a big deal in the college football world.
Speaker 1: Was he clear to practice and just not playing games or limited prectice something like JT.
Speaker 2: Daniels. Yeah, JT Daniels. That's where we're at with him right now at time of recording. He's clear to practice and has been practicing, but not fully clear to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm always going to not question but wonder about why timing for some players is different from others. But certainly the conversations they're having, the data they're collecting, and they're making their own decisions with what I imagine is their loved ones. So best of luck to Jamie Newman moving forward. It would have been terrific to see him play, all things being healthy for Georgia and in the SEC. So disappointed from a football standpoint, but can't blame him from a life one.
Speaker 2: Iowa State has effectively backtracked Dan. I don't remember if we covered this news tidbit or not, but initially they announced a plan on Monday to allow twenty five thousand fans to attend their opener on September the twelfth against Louisiana. They've now reversed course. They're no longer going to allow fans. They cited feedback from the community in announcing this decision. So, yeah, you thought you could go to the game, now you can't. They apparently got outcry from the community and they've backtracked. Look, this is going to be a theme too, I think sure, we're all kind of figuring this out as we go along. College football as a whole is no different, and when we start talking about attendance and having more people show up to the clearly it introduces a level of complexity that some municipalities might not be comfortable with in it. It seems like that's more the case here in ames Iowa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at this point, what programs seem to be doing universally is trying to limit the number of potential complicating variables, and it's why we've seen a number of plays to say there are not going to be fans, at least not immediately. And so it makes sense from Iowa State now backtracking and we've seen teams go from forty percent to twenty five fifty to whatever, it makes sense right now to sort of gather all of the information with just focusing on football and expanding from there, not necessarily being too optimistic in terms of crowd and people gathering in an area, dozens of thousands of people in an area. So I guess to my cap to Iowa State for making what seems to be the most pragmatic decision in the moment. I scratched my head a little bit when the twenty five thousand person thing was announced, but looking forward to seeing what the next rollback is. Ty, is it only five hundred people are allowed to watch the game on TV something like that. I really want a very private Iowa State season. So like it's almost like a you had you either know somebody who saw it, or you have no idea what happened. I like this, It's like the secret.
Speaker 2: Menu in and out only in college football.
Speaker 1: Right it's exactly the perfect analog.
Speaker 2: Let's close out our news bid on a high note, shall we.
Speaker 1: Let's do it our good friend, more wop, more wop, and we can more. No, We're good. Okay, that's somes in this house.
Speaker 2: Bill Connolly, our friend from ESPN, has rejiggered the old sp plus rankings and they are out. Number one on the list is Ohio State, which you know, I guess if you'll believe some fans on the internet maybe is going to be playing sooner than expected. I don't subscribe to that belief. But they're number one here, followed by Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida afterr top five, followed by Oklahoma, Penn State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Texas A and M. If you adjust for the coronavirus, Alabama as the number one team, followed by Clemson and Texas would effectively round out your top ten. I like that Bill did this. I was waiting to see if he would, given all that's gone on now and how the sport has been effectively turned upside down. We use the S and P plus a lot. Excuse me, the SP plus. It's gone Facebook official with the SPN. We use this a lot as a good efficiency metric and to get our per play data that we use pretty frequently here on the show and we're trying to break down games and teams.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it should be noted I think it was UCF as the highest rated group of five program in the spplus is. They sort of enter the top fifteen if you adjust for conferences who have announced their postponing, canceling, whatever the twenty twenty season. So not unexpected with what UCF seems to be returning, although they've lost some players to opting out. Just the other thing I would note, I don't know if you saw the ESPN piece from I think it's Paul Levine and Mark Schlebah in terms of surveying schools that have given out or not given out testing data. Did you see this at all?
Speaker 2: I skimmed it, okay.
Speaker 1: So essentially a number of schools kind to me anyway, an alarming number of schools just have not released information in terms of testing in positive cases, in protocol and what happens when this happens, what happens when that happens, a number of major programs including Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame only release football players, but not all sports. Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Texas, A and M big programs have just sort of gone on what's happening within their athletic department, which is pretty worry some. I know people point to privacy laws, but that only applies to releasing specific names of people who have tested and tested positive, not just raw data. So I am hopeful that and I think I'm hopeful because the more positive and that means like upbeat not testing positive things we can hear, the better we feel about where we're heading in terms of sports in the United States. So hopefully we have more transparency because that always seems to be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more data, more data is a good thing, all right. All right, that does it for news. Soliverbal at gmail dot com. If you have any thoughts on any of the matters we discussed, We've gotten I think a lot of thoughtful commentary from our verballer community about many of the things that we've discussed. Now amid the pandemic, we would always encourage you to write in and give us your thoughts. We do read through all of our email messages and always appreciate hearing from for ballers out there. So again it's sliverbletemail dot com all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it helps to characterize how we talk about the sport and how we view the sport. So even if we don't answer your question or talk about your email or whatever kind of message on a mailbag show, we like interacting.
Speaker 2: I will play the mysterious sound again to kick things off here as we talk about the SEC. It is the third of our Power three this year entering the twenty twenty college football season. We'll start this off the way we've been starting off all of our conference previous Dan, give me your thirty thousand foot view, your high level lingering thought as you did all the research on the SEC. What really jumped out to you. What kind of general observations do you have about this conference?
Speaker 1: There are no no brainers because they're just every team seems to have a sizeable crater in the oh. That's definitely what this is, what this team is going to look like perception right now, even if it's a position group, even if it's a side of a ball, there's no no brainers of like, yes, this team is definitely going to this going to do this amazingly well, and that's sort of new. We've had a lot of programs within the SEC do specific things very well and being predictable, so that to me is definitely new. And just the force of personalities that are entering the conference is fascinating to me. Sorry, sorry, no, I continue. I'm going to set you up for it, but it's just going to be fascinating what new coaches to the conference or coaches returning to the conference and their personalities or lack thereof, or their experience or lack thereof as head coaches or coordinators is going to be super fun. Hopefully.
Speaker 2: The influx of new personalities to me is what makes this the most interesting SEC season that I can remember in a while. You know, the addition of Mike Reach, the addition of Lane Kiff, and we've got you know, Sam Pittman at Arkansas. Not quite the personality. I don't mean to imply he's on the level with those guys, but you know, bringing a new flavor to Arkansas. And then obviously on the eastern side of the coin, we've got a guy like Eli Drinkwitz. I don't want to say it was a surprise that he got the Missouri job. He was named in the running for the Missouri job, but definitely caught some of us off guard when a young guy just thirty seven was given that that position. And we've got coordinators as well that I think will put a unique spin on some of these programs too. So I think that influx, that new wave of coaches that are entering the conference make it very very unique and interesting. And as we'll talk about as we go through, some of these teams will lead off with LSU because they won the National Freaking Championship. But the quarterback situation around the SEC is very much in flux. It's it's new in many cases, and it does provide a level of intrigue that you know, I don't remember having all that recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, you mentioned the coordinator or assistant coach in flux or just transfer influx. We are talking about Scott Lenehan, Chad Morris, DJ Durkin, Kendall Briles, and Barry odom as coordinators, Todd Monkin, Mike Bobo, and it kind of goes on and on in terms of transfers of new names or names, switching teams within the SEC, and certain grad transfer cases I'd love to start with lsu, Ty, what do you want to know about LSU?
Speaker 2: I want to know who's still in Baton Rouge.
Speaker 1: I'm a good question.
Speaker 2: And if they're gonna win a bunch of games, who is gonna be leading the way Because there's so many new faces on the too deep and on the staff for that matter, it would be a hell of a job for ed Orgeron to get remotely close to where he got last year, knowing there is so much turnover down there this coming season.
Speaker 1: Totally, but I still think they're gonna be good. I still think LC was going to be good. Obviously, they've recruited so well. So Scott Linehan takes over for Joe Brady as a co offensive coordinator, passing game coordinator Bo Polini's back for like two million dollars, and they're switching back to his four to three that he ran very successfully in Baton Rouge. But yeah, the Miles Brennan question is relatively large because even if he's pretty good, that there's such a gigantic Joe Burrows size shadow at quarterback that it's going to feel like an enormous falloff wide receiver suddenly looks pretty thin, even though there's a ton of talent there because of Jamar Chase opting out. So it's now the Terrass Marshall Show. And he was kind of beat up last year, so hopefully he's able to stay healthy and become that true number one. I gotta tell you, I'm feeling pretty tingly about a gentleman with two first names, and that's Eric Gilbert. He is a hybrid tight end receiver type of five star true freshmen, and typically when stories come out about freshmen from camp that are like, Ooh, this guy's something else. This oh, buddy, this guy's something else. Those are the stories that are coming out about him, and I'm quite excited to see how the Tigers end up using him on an offense that desperately needs to replace a ton of playmakers. They're pretty good at running back. I expect them with a new look offensive line, with certainly a new starting running back. I actually think they're going to lean on the run game a little more because of the talent at running back and fine receivers when necessary, but to get Miles Brennan more comfortable because he was only really in there in garbage time. He's been in the program for a while. So what they will be led by, I think is going to be defense, especially upfront. Even losing a top defensive act tackle to opting out in Tyler Shelvin, they still have a ton of talent up the middle. They have linebacker transfers and guys stepping in. Derek Stingley is probably the best cover corner in the country. Jacobe Stevens is back at safety. So it's going to be some combination of new faces in the secondary making LSU look like they haven't missed a beatback there, new faces somewhat upfront, it'll be just a very very solid, you know, havocy defense under Bo Polini, and the running game appears to be what will lead the way until Miles Brennan is comfortable, perhaps three or four weeks in that. That's the way I'm looking at it. It's hard to see them doing better tie than splitting some of their hardest games. But at the same time, you can't complain about anything LSU after what they put on tape last year.
Speaker 2: Can we talk very quickly about the transition from Brady to Lenihan? Sure in your research? What are what are people expecting there? What will look or feel different. Has there been any conjecture over that.
Speaker 1: Nothing specific. You don't really know until you see it against live games, live action, live defenses. But ed Oorzaran has had a pretty good eye for coaching talent and a pretty good eye for being hands off, which seems to be huge for a head coach, saying Okay, I'm just gonna trust you to do your things. Scott Lenihan comes in with, you know, nobody's ever going to love an NFL coach by the time he's done in the NFL, But he is regarded as a smart dude. Not necessarily innovative, but a smart dude. He's been around the league and especially in the passing game, which is where he's going to be operating. He's still pretty well regarded. The question is, you know, what does that look like when you don't have the complete explosion that was last year's LSU offense. So I don't imagine there are going to be fundamental differences, but just maybe how they go about things and what the results look like, because they're going to be less. That's going to be the most obvious thing. But I think the core ideology is not going to They're not going to start, you know, running Stanford like power. They're not going to start, you know, running an option. They're not going to start you know, becoming a like a heavy zone read team anything like that. So I think the core is going to remain very similar and it's the same offensive coordinator. It's still Steve Bensminger, So we're not talking about an overhaul in the booth.
Speaker 2: The final point on LSU again, I harken back to the sp plus that we mentioned during the news right now, this is not coronavirus aggested. They were thirteenth and based on their ten games slate this fall, Bill Connolly's got them with an average wind total of six and a half six and a half, So there are some tough games on here. Obviously, they play in the SEC West, so they're going to get games against Alabama and Texas A and M. But they also draw Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're in Gainesville.
Speaker 2: It's not ideal in Gainesville, so there are plenty of opportunities here to lose, and Bill is saying he expects him to lose a couple of those football games. We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Paul Gravy at this point though, it's all just it doesn't matter. I mean, it does, but it doesn't all.
Speaker 2: Right, where are we going next?
Speaker 1: We can go to the flip side because we already mentioned Jamie Newman. I'd like to talk about Georgia and what you see as the effect of that, the effect of a new coordinator and just returning as much as they do in a promising way. So I if I'm going to drill down specifically, it's what is different? What is different about this year's Georgia after so many successful years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has been a run of success, hasn't it. And Kirby Smart's done a really good job. The thing that I was really drawn to in reading up on Georgia, not just because of the Jamie Newman news, but the addition of Todd Monkin is is Monkein is particularly interesting to me. Now he's going to be teamed up, presumably with JT. Daniels. He's built some explosive offenses in his day. He had a lot of success at Oklahoma State. For the last couple of years, Munkin was in the NFL with the Bucks. And you know, I don't want to oversimplify, but as I said earlier, you're going to see more downfield stuff. So the concept here with Monkin is that he's going to open things up, and if you do it right, you know that backs off the defense. It opens up more running lanes for guys like Samir White and James Cook and everybody wins. When you've got the talent that Georgia has, you can implement a system like this, hopefully pretty quickly and really unleash your athletes out there on the field. So kind of a no brainer for Kirby Smart. Clearly, a lot of other teams around college football have have gone in a direction that is a little bit more wide open, and when you've got these athletes, it it makes sense to at least give it a go. The JT. Daniels news now in wlight of the Jamie Newman news, is exciting for me because I really liked what we saw of him at USC as a true freshman in twenty eighteen. Did you I did?
Speaker 1: Okay, I did.
Speaker 2: I thought he had a ton of potential. I was hoping for big things last year, but he tore his ACL right away and that was that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I think he's got the arm strength. I think he's got good mox good moxie, Dan, you and your moxie, and I don't think you're going to find much better of a supporting cast than he's going to have at Georgia. I do worry a little bit about.
Speaker 2: The offensive line. They're losing four starters, especially taken in tandem now with installing a new offense amid a pandemic, that's dicey. But they have recruited so well up front and really across the board with the top class the last two cycles that it's hard to beat. Too too worried things.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest, I'm a little worried. Yeah, yeah, I mean JT. Daniels coming in late obviously nobody had a full spring, so the fact that he didn't have anywhere near the reps on field. With a new coordinator, and it's a new look offensive line that should be talented, a really strong receiving car. It's just it feels like everything's going to be simplified. Everything has to come together really quickly for that offense.
Speaker 2: I am a mindful of that. It's just so hard to be really worried about a team with this much talent. I did say a couple shows ago and we looked at the AP Top twenty five that I thought Georgia was a bit overrated. I would not put them that high knowing that they've got this kind of turnover up front. But you know, they're just they're loaded at the skill positions, with Samir White and James Cook in the backfield and George Pickens and Demetrius robertson out wide. Unfortunately, I saw Dominic Playlock, another talented wide out retour his ACL about a week ago, which that's but if this Monken system works out, all these guys are going to have a huge statistical year. You take that in combination with the defense that only loses three starters. It was a good defense last year, a great defense. They're going to be great again this year. So this is a very good Georgia team. It's a question of are they going to win their side of the conference. Are they going to win the conference as a whole and go to the playoff. The schedule is front loaded, so they get Auburn, a road tilt against Alabama in the Florida game, all before the middle of November. We should know pretty quick where Georgia stands in this rejiggered college football race, but should be another awesome year for the Dogs, to say the least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't know. I remember JT. Daniels, and I remember liking the physical traits, but on the field against the Pac twelve, mind you, as a true freshman or whatever, he was the age of a regular freshody declared early from high school if you remember, he reclassified. It just the results didn't really seem to be there. The consistency didn't seem to be there in a way where I got crazy excited about what the future holds, but happy to be wrong. I just don't remember, even in the way that Keidan Slovak with a different coordinator, was able to succeed as Daniels hadn't. I don't know. I think he's fine.
Speaker 2: I think I like him a little more than you, but we can disagree.
Speaker 1: I think you do, okaygree.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Bama. Ever since Saban's like second year, the defense in Tuscaloose has been lights out and incredibly consistent from year to year. Last year, though, they did take a step back after a bunch of injuries, and if that's all it was great, Should they again now be a top three ish national defense? Coming out of the injury.
Speaker 1: Hayes, Yeah, I think so. Yeah. I mean that's the one thing that's really difficult to prepare for because you're going to be forced to play either dudes who are not fully capable or younger guys who are also not going to be fully capable yet. And I think that's what Alabama was forced into. It's the thing that's tricky ish to me is it's a pretty new secondary for Alabama. They return a couple corners, but largely it's new full time secondary situation for the Tide. I'm not at all worried about their offense. They actually weirdly enough, we talk about the consistency of that defense, but they there's almost no attrition among the coaching staff, aside from Scott Cochrane who left for Georgia. Georgia transition thirty years ago is what it feels like since.
Speaker 2: That historic broke.
Speaker 1: I don't know when that happened in nineteen ninety three, but it happened then, I'm pretty sure. So it's a definite positive for both sides of the ball for Alabama. But I think defensively, like Dylan Moses, you know, it's it's going to make a sizeable difference just in getting everybody lined up, getting everybody's signals incorrectly. I think the communication is going to be a lot stronger on that side of the ball, and they're going to be able to self diagnose what exactly went wrong better than most teams are able to with that coaching staff. So in terms of top three, it also helps that Ohio State and Penn State and Wisconsin and you know out West teams like Oregon aren't playing, so it's just easier to be a top level defense statistically. So yeah, Alabama's going to be there. The concern to me, I guess is I imagine they're still going to be scoring pretty quickly. They're loaded at running back. They probably have the best receiver duo in the country, and Jalen Waddle and Devonte Smith. They return a lot along the line at tight end. We'll see if it's Mac Jones, We'll see if it's ooh, that's my phone ringing. We'll see if it's Mac Jones or some sort of spelling with With Bryce Young, the electric true freshman at quarterback, they're going to be fine. They're going to put up a ton of points. I wonder if they scored as quickly as they used to. But I am not at all worried about Alabama's defense bouncing back, because an only good defense, not excellent defense, now feels like an aberration with what we've seen over the last dozen years.
Speaker 2: What's the mac Jones offense look like.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing not all that it's not going to be as crazy as the Toa offense, but it's going to be reliant on crazy amount of talent around him that will make even pretty good performances look amazing. So I don't think they're going to mess with what has worked so crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's fair, and mac Jones is his floor is very high given the fault that there is such a supporting cast around him. So we'll see, but that will be an interesting story to follow for sure. The wake of to a Tongue of Ioloa.
Speaker 1: It's you look at their roster and you're like, oh, so they've got a five star behind him, a five star behind him. These are a bunch of guys who played a ton as rotation guys on the line who are all like crazy blue chips. Yeah, Obama is going to be fine. They have George at home, they're on the road at Tennessee, which I guess could be tricky. We'll get into the balls. I'm sure shortly they're on the road at LSU, but certainly an empty or empty ish Tiger Stadium is a good time to be in that situation. And they have the Iron Bowl at home, so you know, you have to feel for a scrappy squad like Alabama when it all comes together like this.
Speaker 2: A ragtag bunch of guys playing for love of the game. Where do you want to go next?
Speaker 1: I guess Florida. It's very strange. We made fun of the velocity of Kyle Trask's throws, but not necessarily the result of his throws, because he was a breakthrough last year. So he is something that I think we can say Yep, Kyle Trask is an answer quarterback, which we don't have for a lot of these schools. Everything else on offense seems like a question, the offensive line, the running game. What is Is there reason to believe that Florida has a more complete offense now that quarterback is is in check? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, Kyle Trask is probably the top returning quarterback in all the sec which is crazy given the fact that he didn't even play in high school in start in high school and same, Yeah, what Dan Mullen was able to do and adjust this offense on the fly, Well we'll talk about that in a little bit, hopefully, But you know, the running game was kind of a problem last year. Now when Michael p RAN's gone, he was their leading rusher from a year ago, and I guess that's a concern. The thing is that the rushing game last year I think was largely a byproduct of the offensive line. They just could not get anything going to the extent that Dan Mullen eventually started just throwing it more like, screw it, let's turn it over to Kyle Trask, and he was very good on some of the short and intermediate stuff. This year, They've got a lot coming back up front. I think that situation has to improve. We've got Damian Pierce who's going to take over for p Ryan. The guy I'm watching is Lorenzo Lingard, who transferred up from Miami. He won immediate eligibility, a former five star guy. By the time all is said and done, he could well be better than Pierce and who else They got Malik Davis, another guy in the running back room. I think there is a lot of potential for that running game to really take hold as the line gets better and hopefully balance out that offense. I also think that year two of Kyle Trask and a really solid passing game is going to take this offense to an entirely different level. Like, even if it balances out, having Trask in that system another year where he can get more comfortable, where Dan Mullen is not just like pulling rabbits out of his hat on a weekly basis. It's gonna make that team better. His numbers a year ago were awesome. They were outstanding. Yeah, Dan Mullen didn't have him out there bombing it though. It was really just being smart with the football. So if the line improves, I think that makes more of that downfield passing game a more attainable goal. Hopefully it means fewer sacks because he took a fair share of those last year. I just think there's a lot to love about this offensive setup, even in spite of what we saw from the ground game last season.
Speaker 1: That all makes sense, and I think the offensive line will get better and with Kyle Trask offers them a certain degree of flexibility, he can move the ball a little bit with his legs, and they have weapons at receiver. I'm man, I'm excited by this Florida season.
Speaker 2: I am too. They're my pick in the East. They really are hmm interesting.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The wide out situation is gonna be fun to watch. I like Trevon Grimes, big kids, six'. FIVE i love Big Kyle, pitts the pride and joy Of, Abington. Pennsylvania is that?
Speaker 1: True where Is? Abington that's a.
Speaker 2: Little bit southy here down closer To.
Speaker 1: Philly, Okay i'm looking it up right.
Speaker 2: Now depth should not be an issue out, wide and let's be. Honest defense is again going to be a strength of this. Team last year the seventh best defense according to the Sp. Plus this, Year Todd grantham has a quasi retool on his hands with the pass rush With Jonathan gernard And Jabari zanuga both. Gone but, again recruiting has been so. Strong there are other guys with experience who can step in and make an, impact whether It's Zachary carter Or Brenton, cox those guys of star. Potential they've got a monster in the, middle and To Darryl. Slayton you, know whatever attrition is out, there be It David reese OR. Cj, henderson they just have a lot of good depth that they could turn. To it sets up really well For Todd grantham to get another great run here on. Defense the other and final component That i'll speak to is that for AN sec only, schedule this is as good as it's going to.
Speaker 1: Get oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: AT a AND m and at home AGAINST lsu on back to back weeks In, october that will be.
Speaker 1: Tough mm.
Speaker 2: Hm then they got the rivalry, game The Cocktail party Against georgia On november, seventh off of a, bye and like, otherwise maybe it's a road game Against tennessee to close out the. Year but, like it sets up really. WELL i think for The gators to run the table. HERE i really like their chances this. Year. Wow, Yeah i'm feeling. It i'm feeling ten AND o.
Speaker 1: Baby, Okay i'm not going to present any sort of big. Argument it's going to be. TOUGH i think all things considered with how new the season and what happens during the season is going to. Be but, yeah aside from what THEY'VE a AND m AND lsu and back to back. Weeks and that's sort of it in terms of like definite huge challenges in back to back with the bye you, know As georgia does as, well but especially nice year to have that buy before the game In. Jacksonville So i'm not going to present a huge argument against. YOU i should note, though by the, way as you were, SPEAKING i looked up food In, ABINGTON. Pa, yeah it looks Like jenkintown is the Place jenkintown that's Where Bradley cooper's. From is that? True?
Speaker 2: YEAH i believe that's where my wife bought her wedding dress.
Speaker 1: FROM, Whoa, Well i'm seeing Good indian food. Options i'm seeing Good korean food. Options that looks like the place to hit if you're in that GENERAL i don't know. What is it a? County is it a township? Area that's Where i'm?
Speaker 2: Eating, yeah fun. Area, okay let's Talk. Auburn let's Talk. Auburn the offense last year was should we say the? WORST i guess it was the worst of The malazon, era and so he went out and Hired Chad morris to take over the offense and play. Calling is that an immediate positive? Jolt is it more of an incremental. Thing starting, off how does you know how does the whole quarterback situation with your boy fit? In, like where are we at here with this offensive retooling that my, boy your, boy that Boy Bo, nicks your Boy Bo, nicks that That Gus malson is trying to.
Speaker 1: INSTALL i mean they. DROPPED i think it was almost fifty points On, alabama so in a, win in a winning effort with that clever field goal kicking timeout, Situation so it can't. Be it might have been the worst statistically and the worst in terms of consistency if you look At oh, god what was the ugly? Game THE a AND m game was pretty, ugly even though they won that. Game you, know most of The oregon game was pretty. Ugly In Bo nicks's first, game certainly The florida game was. Atrocious there were low, lights for. SURE i think what The Chad morris aspect of things is going to be is essentially he is going to help season the Gusmels on. OFFENSE i don't think He's Gus malson is Handing morris a blank playbook and say start. Drawing this is all on. YOU i don't think that's what the situation is going to. Be but Because auburn is in a situation where we expect an improvement from what WAS i think a very average to below Average Bone nicks. Year at, times certainly there were. Highlights they beat a couple of really good teams In oregon And, Alabama and you, KNOW i think even Losing Booby witlow is not going to be a huge deal because there are options at running. Back they've got a ton of, experience Including Anthony, schwartz probably the fastest dude in college football legit track speed because he runs. Track they're good at. Receiver they're replacing a lot on the. Line, well they're replacing God An. FOS i guess they need to run block a lot better than what they what they look like last. Year i'm never going to doubt the modern iteration of What auburn's defense has looked, like even losing big names Like Derek brown And Marlon. Davidson they've recruited too, well the system is too, Sound SO i think they lost a linebacker to opting. Out but even, still even with a really new look, secondary the benefit of the doubt exists for me With Kevin steele and that defense and the schedule is pretty. Good they GET lcu And tennessee at, home they're on the road Against george and that rivalry, game and they're on the road Against alabama and The Iron. Bowl but all things, CONSIDERED i Think auburn's going to be in a good place given how much change there is within the division and the. Conference, so you, know seven and three type season for The, TIGERS i think feels about right to. ME i don't, know what do you?
Speaker 2: Think, Yeah Bill, Connolly i'm looking at his again average wins based on fall. Schedule he's got him at six point.
Speaker 1: Two, okay WELL i got to take the.
Speaker 2: Over, yeah which feels about. RIGHT i think a Pretty auburn this. YEAR i will like the move to go out and Get Chad. MORRIS i like THE i don't know the possibility of that freshening things. UP i still think Bo nix has a ton of. Potential MAYBE i was too bullish on him last year and his freshman, year BUT i JUST i see something There. DAN i see the glimmer in his eye as a, legacy and.
Speaker 1: Is the glimmer in his eye the deer in the? Headlights is that the glimmering, okay because there were those moments last, year there were for sure those, moments but he rose to a couple of enormous occasions to book end the. SEASON i will also, add AND i don't know how much of a difference this will, make but they're very high on a young running back Named Tank.
Speaker 2: Bigsby is that the guy from The matrix who's in The Nebby. KINEZER i have no.
Speaker 1: Idea Maybe Tank. Bigsby. Uh AND i saw that one of the linemen stepping in in front of what could be starting running back To Tank bigsby is Named Brodarius. Ham so we do have the opportunity for A ham, tank A ham. Tend if it comes to, fruition there will be A ham tank Or ham. Tanker sound that's all we got ham sandwich. Potential oh that's. True you can do a lot with hams and, TANKS i mean ham pancakes because it's on the.
Speaker 2: Line, Yes, yeah we're gonna have fun with, this aren't. We?
Speaker 1: Yeah we are. ABSOLUTELY i want to talk About. Tennessee if that's okay with, You tie? Please is it okay with? You, yeah let's do. It i'm trying to figure these things. Out weirdly, enough even with a ton of. Experience last year not a great offensive, year especially with how they started. Out we love celebrating the tennisance Of november and, beyond but it was a it was a pretty Ugly september that characterized that Offense september to, Remember yeah or? Not what does what does improvement look? Like is it have to be Post? Guarantano because Good Jared garantano was really, fun but a, MAN i don't. Know they're replacing a lot of. Pieces do you see a New Luck tennessee offense in what is a year two Of Jim. Cheney?
Speaker 2: YEAH i think there is a path to, improvement but it's not an obvious.
Speaker 1: Path, Okay.
Speaker 2: Jared garantano is. Back he plays, Hard he's had some. Moments he was a warrior last. Year he was a warrior last. Year he played, hard but he's still too. Inconsistent the running game was very underwhelming this. Year the receiving corps loses Both Juwan jennings And Marquez, callaway which comes to like sixteen hundred yards and fourteen. Touchdowns so there's a, lot a lot that they need to try and figure out. HERE i guess the reason for optimism is that they should have a really good line that is strong and experienced on the interior and younger but still really talented outside at tackle both tackle. Positions they did get some bad news recently when they decided that they weren't going to grant immediate eligibility To Cade, mays who transferred up From. Georgia they really thought they were going to win that. Waiver they still could on. APPEAL i think they feel optimistic about, that but it's an open.
Speaker 1: Question.
Speaker 2: Regardless the lines very. GOOD i think the combination of that line with year or two Of Jim cheney should hopefully get more out of the ground game and give some ground support To guarantano because he just he needs some help on. Offense they know that they need to improve. IT i think they'll see a second year bump out Of cheney and specifically with that line makes. Sense i'm excited about this team, defensively though defensively they came on like a freight train in the second half of last. Season they only lose three. Guys it's a big, three big, three BUT i just feel like as a whole they were so young last. Year i'm encouraged by the way they closed out the. Season Jeremy, prue it's a defensive. Coach he's going to have them coached, up especially when you look at what happened last. Season consider for a second the circumstances last. YEAR i will eight and five eight and, five but started one and four with back to back losses To Georgia state AND byu on a soul Crushing Hail. Mary that's their first two. Games they start one and, four they go six and one the rest of the way and then win the bowl game Over. Indiana that's a nice rally For pruet with a really young. Team i've said it the last two. Seasons they play, hungry and whenever you close out strong the way they, DID i think you have to feel optimistic about What tennessee stands to gain now in twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty by the, WAY i liked Watching henry To Oto oh and not just BECAUSE i like saying his. Name he WAS i thought it was too too is?
Speaker 2: IT i have it phonetically spelled here to oh too to.
Speaker 1: To, okay there we. Are but he was, fun, nonetheless regardless of HOW i mispronounced his. Name, yeah and at the linebacker, POSITION i think he is going to be leading the. Charge the linebacking corps really is the open question For tennessee this, season SO i want to see what he can do. Again the defense was young last. Year they stand to gain a. LOT i think can make great strides even in spite of a really good campaign last.
Speaker 2: Year the schedule is spaced. Out it's, rough but it's spaced out. Enough they've Got georgia on the, Road they've Got bama at, Home they've GOT a AND m at. Home they've Got auburn the very next week on the, road and then there's A florida. Game there are some potential letdown spots on this schedule Against, kentucky Who i'm supremely interested in more than any OTHER Sec east.
Speaker 1: Team, OH i, mean that's a sandwich right, there, right it's Between george And, alabama.
Speaker 2: Right AND i also Put vandy down here just TO i, think be nice To vandy because the game's on the, road but.
Speaker 1: Probably not going to lose that. One not a far trip From knoxville To. Nashville not a far.
Speaker 2: TRIP i could see like a four and six or five and five season where the win loss record is not at all indicative of the strides this team. Makes it's just THE sec is very, good as it always, is and THE Sec east as a whole has. Improved So i'm less worried about the final, record AND i Think i'm going to be tuned, in especially to see how some of these individual position groups on offense improved through the course of the.
Speaker 1: Year can they Split, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn? Florida can they go two and two in? Those are they at that level if they are playing to on average eighty eight percent of their? Capability georgia on the, Road alabama at, Home auburn on the, Road florida at.
Speaker 2: HOME i don't think.
Speaker 1: SO i think making percentage chance they can. Split is there a ten percent chance they can? Split give me the? Tie odds mind fifteen? PERCENT i put it like twenty.
Speaker 2: FIVE i THINK i just don't see. IT i want to believe. IT I i like This tennessee team a. LOT i like their, heart but there's just so MUCH ammo in THE. Sec george And bam are going to be. Good FLORIDA i think is going to potentially win the. Conference auburn, maybe but it's it's a tough. ASK i like YOUR x files, reference although probably.
Speaker 1: UNINTENTIONALLY i want to. BELIEVE i don't know what that Characterizes tennessee football, as BUT i like the it.
Speaker 2: Was, UNINTENTIONAL i promise.
Speaker 1: You, okay that's.
Speaker 2: Okay can we talk About? Kentucky are you a natural scully.
Speaker 1: Or i'm more of a? MOLDER i don't. KNOW i wonder can we.
Speaker 2: Talk about Kentuk entucky's let's.
Speaker 1: Do let's go Through. Kentucky why?
Speaker 2: NOT i want to know what you want to know About. Kentucky But i'm just going to say That kentucky is undeniably the team THAT i am the most interested in in certainly THE Sec east and maybe the entire.
Speaker 1: Conference. Here my question is, THIS i am heartbroken that we don't get to Watch Lynn boden do. Everything that's my full, question, too QUESTION i don't actually have. ONE i just want you to. KNOW i want you to hear me and my. Emotions it's more of.
Speaker 2: A declaration your love For Lynn Boden. Jr. Correct, Okay, well that's that's. FINE i Would the question THAT i had is where are they going to be at now in THE Sec east pecking order after Losing Lynn Boden junior from a year, ago because you know he's in THE. Nfl. Now if you recall what happened last, season both Of kentucky's quarterbacks got knocked. Out Mark steuts basically said, It, yeah we're going All oden. Everything we're running The wildcat and they were freaking. Incredible they were. Incredible Lynn Boden junior finished with nearly fifteen hundred rushing. Yards he had thirteen rushing, touchdowns about eight and a half per, carry and he was freaking. Amazing it looked like an incredibly prophetic move to just go hard in the direction of their best. Athlete and what's interesting is if you kind of synthesize this down and look at What Mark stoops has done over the course of his time At, kentucky it really has been a story of extreme. Adaptability. YEAH i talked about it a little bit With virginia And Bronco mendenhall in the last.
Speaker 1: Episode But.
Speaker 2: Stoops has been really good at fun in his best offensive weapon and just building the entire plane out of.
Speaker 1: It, yes he has been.
Speaker 2: Right in a way that. Works last year With boden was kind of a funhouse mirror version of, that, right but it was, working and it was so damn.
Speaker 1: Fun CAN i tell You i'm still a little bit bitter That oregon couldn't find a way to do this in the second half AGAINST tcu in The, Lobile like we, clearly, yeah are watching a, Team yeah that can't figure out a. Quarterback so let's just get A i know they Had Braylan, addison who was like a high school option, Quarterback, like what are we? Doing what are we? Doing we've seen three? Series is, SORRY i have, Digressed please go back To. Kentucky the pain is still.
Speaker 2: Real the pain is still. Real all? Right, well LIKE i, said Lin Bowden junior he's in the league. Now But Terry Wilson junior's back at. Quarterback he's recovered from his torn pateller. Tendon brutal injury for a guy who was like universally, Loved so it's good that he's. Back it sounds like he's been running really. Well in the build up to this. Season they also got a transfer From Joey, gatewood who comes up from Albert now this is this is kind of a developing. Story they are still waiting to find out on his. Eligibility THE ncaa has taken its sweet time here and that's an issue Because gatewood's a big. Dude they could definitely find a way to get him on the, field And i'm sure he could snake his way into some playing time with his. Frame they could find a way to use that skill. Set so we're just going to have to push pause there and see what eventually comes of. It WHAT i find really interesting and it's maybe not the sexiest, thing but given all that adaptability THAT i talked, about and how they Use Lynn, boden how they might Use Kerry, wilson and the strength of this team is the. Line four starters are. Back they're really good, upfront one of the best lines in all THE. SEC i think we'll see a really nice focus on the ground game this year with A seamrose And Cavasier Smoke Christopher, rodriguez, like they can find a really good way to milk this rushing attack and offensive line for all its. Worth If Mark stoops is gonna do any kind of adaptable things this, year it's gonna it's going to pertain to the ground. Game the defense should be really good as. Well they've got experience at all three, levels, front, middle. Back the schedule's, brutal IT'S i.
Speaker 1: Was gonna, say we have A i, mean we can save the sound if you, want but there's a that's a snake in the Toilet September.
Speaker 2: October, yeah the snake and the toilet At auburn open the year all Miss Mississippi, state both at home At, Tennessee georgia at home At bama At florida back to back. Weeks yep. AGAIN I i struggle to kind of measure the success of this season with a win loss. RECORD i JUST i really enjoyed What stoops did last. Year With Lynn Bowden. JR i think he's got a fun cast of characters coming. Back he's got a really good, line a good. Defense i'd love to see him pull an upset or. TWO i think it's. Possible but if nothing, ELSE i just like this. Team i'm very interested to see how they do this.
Speaker 1: SEASON i think it's Actually Twin. Snakes by the, Way is it?
Speaker 2: Twins?
Speaker 1: No, NO i don't think in the, sound but on their schedule because they have The mississippi schools back to, back, RIGHT i want to say those are The Twin? Snakes is that a video? Game was there A Twin Snak snakes video. Game i'm almost positive there. Was maybe there's a soundtrack that we can. Steal BUT i think that's the real challenge there For kentucky is. THAT i, mean you played the sound more times than we probably should. Have but, man that opening salvo is there are.
Speaker 2: Fangs there are, fangs for, sure there are. Fangs all, right talk to me about Am is that your question about not doing a talk about? QUESTION i actually have a question. Here. Okay the schedule is much better this, year and The Too deep has now gone and gotten Its Jimbo fisher. Makeover like it looks a lot more Like Jimbo fisher was hoping to build what should click in twenty twenty that hasn't consistently clicked to this. Point does that make? Sense you know WHAT i? Mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah for. SURE i mean the schedule was rough and they've they had these they had. Moments did he just get, married by the, way very, Quietly Jimbo? Fisher like last? WEEK i think he. DID i think he got very. Quietly is this like when he got hair very? Mysteriously that wasn't that was. Mysteriously that wasn't, quietly that was it became very. Obvious but congratulations To Jimbo fisher and his. FAMILY i suppose everybody's happy and excited for a new. Love that's. Great what's going to click that didn't? CLICK i think it's going to be largely, rooted hopefully on, defense because, well, okay SO i shouldn't fully say that because They're november was really. Promising if you throw out THE lsu, game which, please if you're AN a AND m fan and you already, haven't please throw, out throw it out fifty to, seven throw it out because the games surrounding that, game The bowl, game and the rest of Their november and how impressive they were Against, georgia it was all really. Couraging SO i think that should. CONTINUE i know they lost a starting quarter two opting Out Elijah blade's A jc transfer who played last, year but with what they look like on, defense they should be stout up, front linebackers should be. Good THEY i think they'll continue to improve and the depth is. There AND i Love mike ELKO i JUST i, Mean i'm sure you do as, well and you miss him a little. Bit he is a really strong defensive. Coordinator and so even though they had guys step up on offense last year with injuries to running. Backs now it's An Isaiah spiller A Nya smith situation at running back And Kellen, mond who even forget how long he started at quarterback and some of the steps forward he's taken really impressive as just a human being this offseason off the field in terms of speaking up on behalf of himself and his teammates In TEXAS a AND m and the campus thereof just really impressive. Guy So i'm hoping that sort of maturity and leadership moves its way to the football field for the sake of a Fun TEXAS a AND m, team because they're promising at receiver these not behind a great. Line they got him sacked a little bit too, much But i'm. Encouraged i'm. ENCOURAGED i don't know Where Kellen mond now falls in the quarterback pecking, order but between his own defense and, receivers the thing that should click is. Defense now in what year three Of Mike elco and just the fact that they don't have a murderer's. Row it WAS i know the're At baman and At, auburn but they Have florida AND lsu at. Home it's a you, know they don't Have clemson as a non conference team that's great in terms of a win loss, record and that there is no non Conference so that's what's clicking to, me that combination of running, back defense and just the fact that these are mostly all even Though Kellen mond Isn't jimbo.
Speaker 2: Players what chance do we Give TEXAS a AND m of getting into the top two of THE Sec West Because i'm looking at it right now As alabama one and then just some smattering OF, Lsu auburn And TEXAS a AND. M i think it could go a number of different directions. THERE a AND m is so, Talented SO i, guess let's say to get to number. Two what are your odds of that.
Speaker 1: HAPPENING i THINK i would still probably TAKE lsu ahead OF a AND. M in that, GAME i believe is In Baton. Rouge it is At TEXAS a AND. M oh it's at to excuse, me it is At TEXAS a AND. M that's why last year was In Baton. Rouge. Okay so the fact, is if their chief competition IS lsu And, auburn they Have auburn on the, ROAD lsu is In Kyle, Field SO i GUESS i GIVE a AND. M they are more likely than they have been these past few years to finish as a runner up To. Alabama if we are agreeing That alabama is the class of the, division It's Kellen. Mont It's Kellen he's gotten more. Accurate i'm not crazy about all of the weapons he has in terms about proven and how obvious they are to really challenge secondaries across THE. Sec but this is as close as they've come in recent, years and there are enough pieces along this roster that, Sure i'm going to say there's a fifty five percent chance That TEXAS a AND, m given their, schedule given their, experience given the number of COACHES i, like and the continuity. There, YEAH i think there's a good chance fifty five percent more likely than not they finish as a runner up because THAT lsu game is at.
Speaker 2: Home If i'm a five, PERCENT i like.
Speaker 1: That, yeah somebody's got to do.
Speaker 2: It somebody does have to do. It, Okay i've got another question about THE Sec, west AND i want to talk about. ME i want to talk About Mike. Leitch, now snake in the. Toilet, yeah let's play. It you've had an infatuation With Mississippi state the last couple of, years haven't.
Speaker 1: You, yeah, WELL i was really hopeful That joe moorehead would have success.
Speaker 2: There what we hear a lot about With Mike leach and his air raid is how simple he makes the offense for his. Quarterbacks that's why it's kind of plug and, play. Right he just plug a guy in and he's generally pretty. Successful if we get the best of we get the healthiest version of kJ costello who comes over From. Stanford where does state fall on your snake in the, toilet let's say, Scale if such thing does, exist.
Speaker 1: They are right. Now the snake's head is not out of the water, yet but it's. Lurking there is a there's a reptilian presence. Too AND i did look up if there have been snake in the toilet. Incidents there was one. Recently it was posted On, twitter BUT i don't think it was In. Mississippi oh, OKAY i don't think it was within that. State i've seen Some, colorado Some, virginia Some. Australia i'm yet to See. Mississippi doesn't mean it hasn't. Happened it's entirely. POSSIBLE i think it's pretty. Likely the problem to me is there's no obvious wide receiver who's going to take, over but that's almost always the case With Mike leach. Teams everything just sort of works itself. Out they find who's good in the, slot they find who's good, outside they find who's good for what. Route and it's not necessarily every year you're going to find A Michael crabtree type to run In leech's. Area and that's okay because they generally just they find appropriate. Dudes AND i Think Mississippi state, will especially BECAUSE i think they're also going to, find hopefully and they did it somewhat With Max borgiy last year At Washington, state interesting creative ways to Use Kylon, hill WHO i think he led THE sec in rushing last. Year he's a total stud in the backfield next to kJ. Costello And i'm intrigued by the defense because they've recruited, well especially upfront on defense with the new three three five It's Zach arnett who's running The San Diego state presumably three three five defense In. Starkville the problem is they need to be, really really good because the secondary at least last year was. Heinous they were, atrocious and So Mississippi state's going to have to score, points and they're going to need to get after the quarterback and get off the field quickly because if they, don't we're going to SEE pac twelve after dark in the state Of. Mississippi it's not going to Escape Mike LEACH'S dna if they're not able to look like what they did briefly Under Alex grinch At Mississippi, state and that's, confusion it's, mixing mixing things up up. Front i'm hopeful that something like that, happens BUT i think we're going to see more shootout than we are. Consistent snake in the.
Speaker 2: Toilet do you think That Mike leach is going to fit in In?
Speaker 1: Starkville? Sure, yeah, yeah absolutely like. That he already. Has, yeah he had some incidents on social media. Early i'm hopeful for the players and the health of that program that they've put that behind themselves And Mike leach has emerged smarter and more. Empathetic i'm. HOPEFUL i don't, know but in terms of what he's able to do on the field and what his personality is going to be, like you know with the fan. Base, YEAH i think he's going to ingratiate himself well for. Sure and even you, know if it's a five and, five four and, six whatever type, season you can write that off because it's A i think still a pretty extreme change with the new coaching, staff new, quarterback new systems on both sides of the. Ball, YEAH i think it'll be a, fun, dangerous snaky four and, six five and.
Speaker 2: Five i'm very interested in the kJ costello. DYNAMIC i really liked him At, stanford but been beat, up been beat, up but in this, offense to see what he can do airing it out, MORE i don't, know but it'll be. Interesting it's a much different system than what he ran At. Stanford would like to really see the chains off, him to see what he can do with that. Arm, okay this is a quarterback friendly. System, yes all, right let's stay in the great state Of. Mississippi if that's okay with, you that's terrific with. Me another new, coach we've Got Lane kiffin coming Into. Oxford before last, year That ole miss offense had mostly been like, FINE i don't, know, fine a really bad. Defense last year things flipped and now we've got a new. Staff which side of the ball is going to hold up their end of the bargain this, year like which is it gonna? Be is it going to be one or the? Other or might we see a little of.
Speaker 1: BOTH i think the offense is going to get way more specific and. BETTER i think the defense could hold. SERVE i don't think they're gonna get a lot, better even though Dj dirkin has certainly succeeded as a defensive. COORDINATOR i think he's a CO dc now In. Oxford BUT i think on, offense and it looks Like matt corral is ahead Of John Reese plumley and some practice, reports but nothing is official terms of who's starting at. Quarterback but the star power on offense leads me to believe they RETURN i think three or four offensive lineman who started last, year and Then jerry And ealy is home run. Threat and Then Elijah, moore who is far more than a peeing dog in the Egg bowl but also was a peeing dog in the Egg, bowl is one of the very best receivers in THE. Sec SO i think it's. INTERESTING i think What Lane kiffin should be able to do is get this back to being A i don't, know top forty or so offense which is not good enough to win a ton of games when you still have the questions that they have on. Defense they're not particularly big inside on. Defense they've got interesting linebackers and edge, rushers but the secondary also is a pretty big. Question their schedule is actually really. Nice they Have, Florida, bama And auburn all at. Home they're on the road AGAINST a AND m AND. Lsu but in terms of what it could be in year one For Lane, Kiffin I'm i'm good With Ole miss also being a sort of snake in the. Toilet hold, on hold, on they. Finish they finished WITH a AND m in The Egg bowl and finished WITH a AND m The Egg bowl AND. Lsu excuse me WITH lsu AND a AND m on the, road but EVERYTHING i. Mean i'm not Saying kentucky is a nice break Between florida And, alabama but it's better not to Have florida And alabama in consecutive. Weeks arkansas is probably more of a break Than kentucky is Between alabama And, auburn but we'll. See it's a nice enough schedule for For Lane kiffin and The rebels in year.
Speaker 2: One i'm gonna ask the same question About Lane. Kiffin does he fit in In?
Speaker 1: Oxford excuse, me The Admiral ACBARS i still believe Does Lane kiffin fit? In yes he, Does, Yes yes he very much.
Speaker 2: Does all, right let's hop back over to The.
Speaker 1: East what DO i want to know in The East? Tide what do you want to?
Speaker 2: Know we talked about, Them we talked about we talked about the most interesting team In. Kentucky SO i suppose we don't need to Cover, Missouri South carolina Or. Vanderbilt But i'll let you.
Speaker 1: Pick after thirteen straight bad offensive coordinator hires Tie Is will Musk, champ making lucky number, fourteen the guy In Mike? Bobo what's he doing to actually figure out how to consistently run a good? Offense and, yes last Year Jake bentley got hurt almost, immediately so that's Not will Muss champ's. Fault but his offensive coordinator track record isn't. Great what's he doing to to turn things? Around, well he Hired Mike.
Speaker 2: Bobo, bobo you may, recall was At georgia for like two decades and he coached a couple of years At Colorado. State his offense is definitely MORE i think what you'd expect you're what you're used to seeing from a team run By will Mush champ because it's, slower it's more under, center it's more based on the ground.
Speaker 1: Game, right.
Speaker 2: We can get to the run game in a, minute but sure you. Know, Secondly muschamp also made some staff changes to try and fix that injury, bug WHICH i know you didn't really, mention but they've just been decimated the last two, years which has made things a lot. Harder so maybe the combination of changing the offense up with trying to make the team healthier is going to make an improvement and reverse that trend of the last two, seasons which has been in the wrong. Direction but on the injury, Point South CAROLINA i think was relying On Marshawn, lloyd a four star freshman out Of, maryland to come in and make an impact at the running back position because their top three from a year ago are all. GONE a lot of folks were really excited About, lloyd and the kid freaking tore his acl, yeah perhaps ironically now amid this movement to try and root out, injuries so he's done and the running back situation is very. Fluid it's in. Flux there are four, options none of them that, proven and it's a really tough break given the fact that with This Mike bobo offense, again it's probably going to be more geared around the ground. Game so we'll. See we'll see what happens. There the other thing to keep an eye on here is we Expected Ryan helnsky would be named the. Starter it sounds like they're looking hard At Colin, hill transferred over From Colorado state and obviously knows That bobo system pretty. Well Remember Jake bentley transferred out To. Utah he's no longer in the mix, here so it's down To helensky Versus. HILL i would be surprised if it Weren't, halnsky BUT i think just by virtue of the fact that it seems like they're taking such a hard look At, hill it stands to reason that there's a lot of fluidity here on this, offense not just at running, back but also at also at. Quarterback you have to believe if You're will Mush, champ if You're Mike bobo coming in there, fresh that you're going to play the best guy at any. Position because the offense has really been a, concern right. Defensively they they Lose Javon kinlaw to THE. Nfl up, front he was so. Good, yeah the line should still be. Fine Ernest, JONES i THINK i saw is just about recovered from an appendicitis And Shira green he's good at linebacker as. Well the secondary should be stout because a lot of young guys got reps early last.
Speaker 1: Season do you still have your? Appendix by the, WAY i?
Speaker 2: Do do?
Speaker 1: YOU i still? Do BUT i every single time my side, Hurts i'm, LIKE i worry.
Speaker 2: ONE i have to look online which side it?
Speaker 1: Is the right? SIDE i believe it's the right and it's sort of side, front but it's. Starts please look it can start upper left and oh is that?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 1: Yeah oh it's, Scary, OKAY i.
Speaker 2: Continue the schedule Is, tennessee it's At, florida It's, Auburn it's AT. Lsu IT'S a AND, m It's. Georgia it's it's a. Lot it's a lot to ask here For South carolina and For South carolina. Football for as much AS i hate to say, it it is a. LOT i don't really see the upside this. YEAR i don't see any. Upside they were four and eight a year. AGO i kind of throw the wind lost thing out the window this season because who. Knows BUT i am not feeling the vapors here From South carolina at.
Speaker 1: ALL i mean four of the first five Weeks, Tennessee, Florida, AUBURN. LSU i mean that's did you ever watch what was A Viva labam when they would unfortunately the flower and sleeping in people, sleeping they would antique. Them. Yeah, yeah there feels like there's a bit of antiquing to the start Of South carolina.
Speaker 2: Season there's a video somewhere of me being antiqued WHEN i was a senior in.
Speaker 1: College, oh that's, right You're. Pennsylvania that's. There there's some like they're within forty five minutes an hour of You ban mardin whole.
Speaker 2: Crew yeah, yeah oh, yeah oh, Yeah, WESTCHESTER i, KNOW i. Know all, right that's. It do we want to knock out the OTHER Sec east teams while we're?
Speaker 1: Here? Na, okay, fine talk About.
Speaker 2: Missouri what do you want to know about The Eli drinkwitz.
Speaker 1: ERA i guess the fact that he is taking over now That Barry odin was, out BECAUSE i guess it was just clear To missoo, People Barry odin was not the. Answer is that still kind of a shock to? You and what Does Eli drinkwitz have to work with to make year one in this very strange year one somewhat? Encouraging does that make? Sense it?
Speaker 2: Did it surprised. Me it surprised. Me Eli drinkwitz qualifies in the highly thought of category among coaching, hires, RIGHT i, mean everyone knew that he was destined for big things and had just one year of coaching experience head coaching experienced at App state did a good job one eleven, games but a much different situation than what he's stepping into At. Miszoo it is clearly not as healthy of a. Program this is one that's pretty much stalled out over the last five years or. So recruiting has not been, Great offense has seen a precipitous, decline and As i've been saying the whole time Here, dan THE Sec east is getting, tougher it is getting. Better so this is going to be a heavy rift For Eli drinkwitz in terms of, like what are expectations for year? One, stylistically Drink witz runs more of a no huddle. Thing there's gonna be a lot of. Motion BUT i, think in continuing with another theme of THE Sec, east he too has proven to be pretty. Adaptable he had a lot of success building schemes around his best personnel AT, boyc AT Nc, state even last, Year, yeah even last year at App, state which he went pretty run. Heavy.
Speaker 1: Yeah and he's a, Guy he's a gus. Guy these are Not this will look very familiar to people who watched a lot of THE. Sec.
Speaker 2: Yeah so you, know going into this season with a new, quarterback a wide, receiver corps that turns, over a line that turns, OVER i think it has to, improve if only because it was so bad down the stretch last. Year But i'm not expecting any kind of immediate returns. Here he's going to be patching this thing together as best he can with whoever he can. Find on, offense, notably it looks like it will Be Sean robinson who comes over FROM. Ccu he's gonna be throwing A Damon, hazleton who comes over From Virginia. Tech he's going to be handing off To Larry, roundtree who we. Like. Roundtree he's, good he's. Good they will be better on defense than on. Offense he retained most of the previous staff THAT i think should help give them some stability on the defensive side of the. BALL i looked at this. SCHEDULE i audibly, GASPED i audibly Gas listen to the first eight weeks of this. Schedule i'm ready home Against bama At, tennessee AT, lsu home Against, vandy yay At, florida home Against, KENTUCKY a glorious and merciful bye, week and then a home game Against. Georgia, yeah this is A komodo dragon in the. Toilet we didn't prepare sound for. That this schedule is outlawed in like a hundred. Countries it is just cruel than. Usual, yeah just murder For Eli. Drinkwitz BUT i like the hire as a. WHOLE i think he will find a way to tune up that offense and hopefully bring some of that personality to The missouri program because they've been very old school with odom for a.
Speaker 1: While AND i just like you, remember if you remember that video of him securing a commitment from a four star player on signing. Day he is infusing that program with something a whole lot Of.
Speaker 2: Oh my, God, yeah that's What i'm talking. About it's.
Speaker 1: GREAT i loved. IT i watched it every so often just as a mood, booster just to get, you just.
Speaker 2: To get you going in the. Direction, absolutely all, Right, uh let me close out With.
Speaker 1: Vanderbilt we're just going to Give nashville restaurant. Recommendations that's how we're going To that's how we're Previewing. Vanderbilt that's my. Understanding, Right i'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna give you some reasons for optimism because they just give me some.
Speaker 1: Nuggies give me some, nuggets dip them in some, facts give me some optimistic.
Speaker 2: NUGGIES i say this with kind of the backdrop Of vandy's almost definitely going oh to ten this. Year, okay there are no there are NO scs teams on the. Schedule they're AT a AND. M they PLAY, Lsu they're At Mississippi, State, Florida, Tennessee. Georgia there's it's they're going oh in. Ten it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen, well they Have, okay they Have South carolina as a letdown look ahead after After florida and Before auburn For South. Carolina, right, yeah, Okay i'm, saying and it's at, home it's In. Nashville they. Have they have Ole miss looking forward to a bye week at. Home so before Ole miss has a bye, week they are traveling To. Nashville so maybe Ole miss just wants to get, home they want that week. Off i'm Just i'm laying out some potential, Here, Ty i'm laying out some. Potential they Have. FLORA i don't. Know i'm not crazy about, that but they do Have florida a week Before florida Has. Kentucky they Have tennessee a week before The florida.
Speaker 2: Game so you're thinking that there is some look ahead potential here with.
Speaker 1: They've Beaten tennessee recently they Have you're, Right, okay that's All i'm just reaching.
Speaker 2: Here you're you're reaching the two. REASONS i have two reasons and only two reasons for. OPTIMISM i had to squint to find. Them but there are a, Few. Okay the first is that you may recall The Deep dark twenty nineteen offense Of Jerry godowski after he was promoted to offensive coordinator After Andy ludley left For. Utah that offense was no, boy, no it was it. Was it was actually really surprising because he had talent to play. With it didn't work now he Hired Todd fitch away From Louisiana. Tech he's going to come. In he's going to revamp, things and that's kind of exciting because it's really a blank slate on, offense there are snaps to be. Had the offense will definitely be more pass heavy and up, tempo and perhaps it's something to build on for twenty twenty. One it's going to be more, Exciting so look forward to. That that's one reason for, optimism.
Speaker 1: Quote unquote more. Exciting ty Hilden, Brand, okay.
Speaker 2: It's a relative, measure but, sure. Okay Fair and on the defensive, side he's bringing in Ted. ROOF i am not going to act LIKE i worship at the Ted Roof. ALTER i may have made many joke for many years about the leaky, roof especially in his time At Penn.
Speaker 1: State, yeah that was. Rough he's not been the best places even's.
Speaker 2: Been, yeah BUT i do think it's an, upgrade AND i Think vandy brings back literally every starter on, defense and that's something that he can work.
Speaker 1: With is that? Good is it good to bring back every starter from a defense THAT i maybe it cracked the top. Hundred MAYBE i don't. Know it's this is ALL i have. Run you could have, run and by saying me saying, You i'm saying you out of shape bum shoulder can definitely not take a hit. You AND i don't like to say this because it's a cliche of, like, oh EVEN i could have run through that whole bloh body. Blah, No, no you could do work against this year's or last year's at least a.
Speaker 2: Front, yes oh, man that's ALL i got. Though oh, Intent, okay they're going on.
Speaker 1: INTENT i guess we're gonna talk About, arkansas WHICH i think there's more reason to be optimistic about The hogs Than, vanderbilt just because new coaching, staff encouraging. Coordinators do you want to know anything specific About?
Speaker 2: Arkansas, YEAH i want to know about the, transfers because they've they've taken on an unber of.
Speaker 1: Dogs in this, house there's some, hogs.
Speaker 2: And, yeah a number of transfers to kind of give them depth in you'r one of Of Sam. Pittman SO i, guess, like where does it actually make a real difference in your one or any of these guys going to step in in and have an immediate. Impact?
Speaker 1: Uh, YEAH i think there are a couple Of Felipe franks is the big, name but he is going to be playing behind a below average offensive, line but he will be handing the ball off to a well above average running back And Rackem, boyd and he Has Kendall brile's and generally That Kendall brile's. Offenses you, know get the ball out real quick. Screen we saw the success he had With Deeric. King Felabe frank's definitely a different quarterback Than Deerck king was With Kendall briles At. Houston receiver is still pretty unknown in terms of you, know who steps. Up who is the obvious candidate to be a big contributor in hopefully an improved. Offense the other big candidate for where a transfer can make a, dent, THOUGH i, think is edge Rusher Xavier. Kelly The clemson transfer apparently has been very, impressive and SO i don't know if he's just going to take over, Games but in terms of a talent, bump they should be better upfront on, defense because the rest of that defense Was, GOD i do love the word, heinous But i'm looking for synonyms. Tie it was not, horrific last ghastly. Ghastly they weren't great against the. Past they were not getting after, quarterbacks they were not defending, passes they were not good in the open. Field there were moments where they were pretty good against the. Run that to, me is going to be the. Issue you're going to need to cover up for a lot of issues behind that line by getting after quarterbacks. Quickly i'm not seeing it happen in year, one BUT i really really Like barry otom as a defensive, coordinator and it's not like he was going out and lining up those really Strong miszoo defenses and even did a good job At memphis with just five star blue chip studs. Everywhere so in terms of talent, identification either in The arkansas, area In East, texas Wherever arkansas is trying to, RECRUIT i think they're going to do a good job of identifying three star. Dudes SO i think that's going to be the dent is going to be the improvement in development on. Defense so it's not transfers per, se but in the next two three, YEARS i think that's going to be the infusion of. Improvement all, right do you hear like a giant machine outside of my? WINDOW i kind of do someone cutting down a?
Speaker 2: Tree what's? HAPPENING i don't.
Speaker 1: Know i'm not sure what that. IS i do have breaking, news though it's his actual legitimate college football breaking, news.
Speaker 2: Breaking news times.
Speaker 1: Too boo boo boop. Boop can you hear? Me tie yeah. Boop this is the way everybody that tuned in for AN sec preview wanted this to crescendo into. TYE i have SOME pac. Twelve THE pac twelve partnered with a. Company this literally broke as we're recording. This it partnered with a. COMPANY i don't know how to pronounce.
Speaker 2: It IT'S qui d e L u keep, it don't ask, ME i said obey huid.
Speaker 1: Del it is a company that is going to institute daily rapid fifteen minute answer. Tests nice for THE pac. Twelve some schools are already using, this but THE pac twelve becomes the first conference to do it daily and have that sort of turnaround of fifteen. Minutes And Larry scott has talked about the commissioner of THE pac, twelve the possibility possibility that if everything goes as, planned because if you, remember there are in the conference that can't even practice because of local, ORDINANCES i think the ones In. California that applies to Possibly. Oregon if everything goes as, planned THE pac twelve is somewhat confident that with a six week lead up, time they can start their fall and winter seasons in Late. November oh, Wow, OKAY i felt very condescending of, you ty that you just patted me on.
Speaker 2: That, no it's it's IT'S i saw the headline. TOO i saw the headline. TOO i didn't have a chance to read. It but this is good.
Speaker 1: News this is good, news non it's. NonStop it's a relay race of a college football.
Speaker 2: SEASON i am so tired and the games haven't even started. Yet. Correct all, Right well more to come on this front for. Sure, yes thank you to everyone out there for bearing with, us like three hours of, podcasting three hours plus of podcasting this week as we covered all things acc and now the sec. Again don't forget to write In solidverboat gmail dot. Com don't forget to subscribe if you haven't. Already if you like the, show leave us a five star. Review every little bit helps now as we get a little bit closer to the college football, season and, LOOK i think when we talk next we're actually going to be previewing pickts of, games aren't?
Speaker 1: We that sounds right to, Me, ty that sounds. Right next week IS acc And Big Twelve. Conversations THE acc is both non conference and conference, games including What Notre Dame Duke Notre dame one of the games we'll be talking, about and The Big twelve has some non conference affairs to talk.
Speaker 2: About all, right, Well, dan enjoy Your Labor day. Weekends stay. Safe, Okay i'm gonna try my.
Speaker 1: Best i'm now just envisioning a world in which we have a college football playoff semi final the day before a Random OREGON usc And Ohio state perdue game or. Something i'm trying to wrap my brain around what the next few months may look.
Speaker 2: Like who the hell. Knows everybody out, There enjoy Your Labor day. WEEKEND i hope it's. SAFE i hope it's. HEALTHY i hope it's. Happy for that guy over, there my good, Friend Dan. Rubinstein we will catch you all in a week and talk some football in the, Meantime stay, solid, peace