Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of Is This a Great Gamer? What with my Hall of Fame Dad, Tim Kirkshon, I am Jeff Kirkshon, and we're going to three episodes a week. That means the middle episode will be our interview in Today. With the NFL Draft kicking off on Thursday, April twenty fourth, tomorrow, we have Mel Kiper ESPN NFL Draft Guru beyond gurus, Dad, How were we able to get him right before the draft?
Speaker 2: Well, look, I know Mel pretty well after all these years, and I've done a bunch of radio shows with Mel. He and dary Noka do a baseball Well, they do a radio show, they bring me on to do baseball. Look, Mel's from the Baltimore area. I've known him for a long time and he's he's a very very generous guy with his time and his information, so he was more than happy to do this. I'm just glad we got him because once the draft starts, Jeff, I'm sure there is no talking to Mel Kuiper because his head is filled with heights and weights of tackles from Boise State. I don't know how he does it, but it is truly remarkable.
Speaker 1: And it is remarkable how much recall he was able to have of all of his love of the game of baseball, whether it was today's game or growing up as you mentioned dad in Maryland, his favorite players, a crazy famous Hall of famer he ran into in a place nobody expected. Mel kiper joins, is this a great game or what let's do it?
Speaker 2: It is draft week in the NFL, and our guest this week is my friend mel kiper ESPN Draft expert mel This is my son, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Honored to be with you guys. That Jeff, your father always took time during the busy baseball season when I know he was swamped, and he would have got a call to come on, Darian mel and sim never said no, never let us down. He came, He had a wealth of information, never rushed off. It was amazing. So Tim, I can't thank you enough. We both land the pleasant living crab cakes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: We love baseball, we grew up with it, and here I am with tucking football, which is you know, nobody would have thought back a long time ago, that's what I would be doing all right now.
Speaker 2: We might not ask you a football question today, and we will buy We will get to baseball in a minute. But please just clear up a few things.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Do you eat a piece of pumpkin pie for breakfast every morning?
Speaker 3: Explain? Please? All right? Almost every morning? Sometimes like this time of year, you can't get pumpkin pie. You know there's a Safeway delivery coming right now, But the bottom line, you can't always get them, and the pumpkin pies are kind of seasonal. So when Kim will make a pumpkin pie homemade, I don't like it as much. So she makes great food, but pumpkin pies have to be a certain way for me and where I don't eat them. So no, I can't say it's every morning. It's probably eight to nine months out of the year. That's what I do then, is I make my own brownies with my fat free whipped cream. So I have a little alternative plan brownies I just made because I don't have any pumpkin pie in the house right now, so I have to live without it for three or four months and survive. But I'd say nine months out of the or eight months out of the your pumpkin pie, not just in the warning. I'll go through a pumpkin pie and every day day and a half. Now, what is wrong with you? Do you just love pumpkin pie? Worse? It is just who you are. Worse food, Tim, It's even worse, Jeff and Tim. I don't eat the crust. I just eat the pumpkin. I have fat free whip cream. Say, well, what's the method to the madness. All the hydrogenated oils are in the crust. Okay, So I stay away from the crust, don't touch the crust, just eat the filling. And then I have my fat free with ready whip whipped cream. And that's a fat free milk. And that's what I do. That's how I good bye.
Speaker 1: Listen. Now, I have never felt so connected to a guest before because every Thanksgiving season I always get the standard.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna have any pie with your whipped cream?
Speaker 2: Because I like to fill it up to a point.
Speaker 3: Where you can't even see it. Jeff, if I have a piece or two of a pumpkin pie, I'll go through one can of whip cream. With just a piece of two a pumpkin pie, I go through two or three cans a day. That's not a lot, two or three cans a day for the rate I do radio in New York with the you know, with Roethliberg and d Pietro. They send me so coming on twenty five to thirty cans of fat free ready whip whipped cream because they know how I need that that whipped cream for my pump I can't eat pumpkin pie without whip cre If there's no whipped cream in the house, I'm not eating pumpkin pie. Pumpkin Pie without whipped cream is like Kirchin without baseball, without the draft. Ainy doing it. So at the end of the day, it's gotta be them melded together with a glass of fat free milk because you need that as well. So it takes three to get it done, and without that, I got nothing.
Speaker 2: I had to mail you brought up Kim, your wife. When I emailed you this afternoon to make sure you are okay for three o'clock, I got an email back from your wife. Is this clear that she runs your entire life?
Speaker 3: Without Kim, it wouldn't be a life anything. I don't know what would be happening. I certainly wouldn't be doing a podcast with you right now, wouldn't be having anything going on that we do because technically I have no clue about any of this stuff. My father Eve said when we started. You just worry about answering the phones. You talk to your customers, you talk to people getting your reports, and you do the work. I'm gonna handle all the things business wise. Kim does all that. I don't have a clue about anything. If something happened now, I'd be going back to Kim to come fix it, because I wouldn't know where to start. I'll probably hit a button and screw everything up. So No, without Kim, there wouldn't be any operation here, and certainly my life would have been a lot different. Mel.
Speaker 2: Is it true you've never written a check?
Speaker 3: Did I hear that properly? Never written a check, Never use an ATM card, Never use an ATM card, written a check? No, no fans I ever have. No, that's not a lot. That's the truth, and Kim can attest to that. No, never have.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to say I married my wife Emily back in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: She is incredible.
Speaker 1: She handles her taxes, our finances. I'm starting to become like Mel, a little bit inept in anything.
Speaker 3: If I had.
Speaker 1: To see how much money was in my flooral one, k I wouldn't be able to figure it out. She just says, Hey, text me that code that just got sent to your phone.
Speaker 3: I'm getting that way. Hey, I don't know where a dollar of it is. I couldn't tell you, Kim, that was where it all is. If I need it, I got it. I don't know where a dollar of it is. I can tell you that right now. If you said, hey, if you needed something, you need a load, I love to, but I don't know where to have to get the money anyways, So fuck him.
Speaker 2: So Mel, is it true you don't know your cell phone number or you didn't know your cell phone number?
Speaker 3: Well, the cell this is the crazy part. I use Kim cell. It's my cell, and Kim's like text to Kim cell. Because I don't care about cell phones. She'll get the message. I'll respond, I have a cell phone right in here that I only take to the draft. Now I'll give that number out to my friends. I say call it, they call it all year. Once the dress over and I come back from from Green Bay, it goes in here and I never check it again. So any any messages come to that cell phone never get checked. After I get back from Green Bay. It's only for five days, that's what. Or when I go out. When I go out, I take that phone with me in case of an emergency. Right outside of that, I'm not checking out that kim Sell only or emails. That's it.
Speaker 2: And you have a landline in your house, well, yeah, we have landline there.
Speaker 3: Everywhere's landlines. And why there's method of the madness there too, because I know very few people have landlines. They come crazy when you do radio shows, Tim, if the com rex is an issue, then I have a landline to do a interview one rather than the cell phone. So I always had it for that. Right now, we do it on the com Rex, but the comraxes down for some reason. The landline rather than a cell phone because cell phones are frustrating because sometimes they just don't work right, you know, sometimes you'll lose this connection. So I kept the landline for that reason. I'm old school with that too, and probably don't have many percent contents of the country ten percent of the country. I don't even know what percentage of the country has a landline now, but we do.
Speaker 1: You know. Our guest last week was Syracuse former head coach Jim Beheim, right, I'm a Syracuse graduate, and in order to get him on the show, I was told to text his wife, Julie Beheim. And the funniest part is, Mel, I have Julie Beheim's number, not because I was reporting, not because I was doing that. It's because I was the mascot at Syracuse and while a student, I had to do an event for the Jim and Julie Beheim Foundation.
Speaker 3: And she said, I don't want a mascot.
Speaker 1: Driving all the way out there and spending money on gas. I'll pick up the mascot. So I said, a shotgun with Julie Beheim for an hour there and an hour back. Thankfully, I wasn't dressed as the orange in the car.
Speaker 3: I went as Jeff. But that is why I had her number, so we were able to set it up through Julie. That's a great story. Oh my gosh, that's exactly the way it is here. Everything goes through Kim. It's amazing. I always say, if you're going to overachieve, overachieve in marriage. And I majorly overachieved.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right, So Mel, where did your love of baseball come from? And at what age and where did you get it from?
Speaker 3: Father was baseball along to him. He played, you know, coming up through the ranks, thought he could maybe even move on, but then he got hurt his shoulder and give up baseball, but ended up coaching and playing. I just was brought in that environment of baseball, and you loved the sport obviously with the Baltimore Orioles and grew up with you know, an Earl Weaver, and then watched the Orioles all the way through, with the great Brooks, Robinson and Frank Robinson and Belanger and Boog pal At Sha Baron, Paul Blair playing that shallow center field, tracking the ball better than anybody. So when you have all those so then in the four twenty game winners and growing up with Jim Palmer when he was coming along, and Palmer, McNally, Quaar and Dobson the last four twenty game winners, so you know, just all the great base and a huge fan of earl Weavers obviously, and then we had the Cal Ripken era. So it's just been you know, when you grow up in that environment of winning and all those personalities and all those Hall of Fame players, it was easy to be a great baseball fan ironically, I was a big Dodger fan too, Tim and Jeff. I love the Dodger. I loved everything in La. Grew up a big Rams fan, not a Colts fan, early on, a big rant love Roman, Gabriel, Myron, Patios, Lest Joseph and Jack Snow, the fearsome, forsome love the Rams. But then the Dodgers, going back to Walter Austin, then Tommy Lasorda so Albuquerque. As you know, Tim Kevin providing all those players to the LA Dodgers through the minor league system, and then going through when say and Russell and Lopes and Garvey and you had Jaeger and had had Toy Cannon, Jim Winn and all those great players, and Rick Monday and then the pitchers. All the guys are Andy Meshersmith during those Andy Meshersmith days, going back to Tommy John before Sandy and I was and Sandy Kofax I always did. But then those great pitchers and then Mike Marshall and all the things hether wentber, the kinisiology major Mike Marshall was and all. So it was just the Dodgers name at the Dodgers and the Orioles two great organizations, the love. So that's the how I grew up with with those entities kind of. I remember keeping the score of the Dodger games when I was a kid up every game, final score, winning pitch, and I kept that all the way through and any notes about the game. Back in those days, you couldn't watch anything, so the radio, I'd be listening to the Dodgers against the Phillies. I listened to Philly broadcast. So you had to try to. Radio was a big avenue in a big vehicle to be able to listen to these games. I did it with football to lay in LSU games. It would be fading in and out. You'd be listening on Saturday night to those games. And I did it with baseball. A father always had a radio with him. He'd go to bed, he take the radio, listening to games, listening to baseball, listening to whatever was going on, and he was listening to sports talks, sports talk even back in the day. So radio is a big part of my life in the early years as well. Well.
Speaker 2: Did you ever meet Brooks Robinson?
Speaker 3: Frank Robinson? Yeah, what was that play? And it was unbelievable, Brooks. I ran into Brooks at Joseph Banks shopping for turtlenecks and sweaters, and I'd begin there would be Brooks Wacani there and with our talking and he loved and he'd be We had our seats at the at the Ravens Stadium at M and T Bank, you know Steve as he was right above us, okay, and you know all the people there, and look up, Brooks was right there up talking to Brooks during a football game, right up in Steve's Steve box. And I'd go up even at halftime. Steve was say, come on up, and Brooks would be there, and Gary Williams would be there, as you know Tim, So you know it was great you. Brooks was, I say, the nicest man of any sports personality figure player of ever. I've met a lot of different sports figures players, and Brooks was, as you know Tim and Jeff, I mean, he was one of a kind and the nicest, most humble man I've ever been around in my life. For the greatness of Brooks Robinson were number five at lockraven Optimists because of Brooks Robinson, Okay, I mean that's you know Brooks round Jim Palmer Ward twenty two early on, Jim So you were numbers of your Jim Palm or Brooks Robinson, you know those. Later on, I was a big Burt Jones fan. Loved that number seven. You know Burt Jones growing up, you were up. But think about that, John Yanitas. Burt Jones with the Baltimore Colts should have had John Elway. One of the reasons why the Colts left town. John Elway didn't become a Baltimore Colt. He was traded to the Broncos without earning your course's knowledge. I was gonna go work for earning your course in the cults that fell through because of that, And then five months later I'm working at the ESPN. I had never been to the ESPN if it wasn't for that. So it's crazy how history would have been rewritten for me. You know, mel, you're just.
Speaker 1: Talking about baseball. You sound like so many other people where you're almost transported back to being a child, right Like there's a and nothing against football and basketball and all of these sports. But isn't there something beautiful about baseball? Recall a memory you were talking about your dad keeping score. Take us back to young mel Kiper when you were at a game and something just really stuck out to you that made you think, Wow, is this a great game?
Speaker 3: Or what I think? I think? Well, first game I went to was the sixty six World Series. Wow, that was the first game I start as five six years old? Say six, I didn't even turned six, or yeah I just turned six. And then you go to think tim and you can correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff, you and Paul Malader's first game. I think one of the first games Paul Malolder played was a stadium and I was out there watching that game and Paul millarder and I said, boy, he looks like he could be really good. And look what Paul Malod developed into. So yeah, I'm going. And I remember I used to love double Nothing was better for a kid than a double header. And back remember we had the true double header, and I loved one the double headers. A Memorial Stadium and my aunt lived right off of the rhetor Aorunda stadium. So go there, park there and walk over, go there after school at Calvert Hall, whether it's weekends or whatever. So now I went to probably as a kid, roughly twenty five to thirty oriel games a year as many as I could go to at that particular time. So yeah, always Opening Day. Would all make sure we went to Opening Day if we always could. But playoff games. I remember being out there when it was snow flirring at some games. Yeah, at Memorial Stadium. I love Memorial Stadium and also what I loved as a kid, and Jeffy, I don't think you ever and most kids will ever see this. I love to be able in September to be in an oral game on a Tuesday Wednesday and see the outline of the football field, knowing it on Sunday I'm gonna be watching the Baltimore Colts play. It was just a great feeling to be in that stay and knowing, Okay, I love what I'm seeing here with baseball, and then on Sunday, I'm gonna be watching a Baltimore culture. I just saw the Colts. Now I'm watching the Orioles. And those stadiums where they were dual purpose multi purpose was great for a kid. It was just a great feeling and you don't get it now because it's great. Hey, I love these stadiums. I love what they do. But it was also great for a kid to be able to sit there saying, boy, it's like you're home away from home, and I'm going to be back on Sunday here watching the Baltimore Colts play in this Saint on the same field, same stadium. That's what I loved. And a lot of kids, I think, don't have that a level of enjoyment anymore because of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your memory transported me back and help me remember this. The nineteen ninety nine World Series. I was six years old when Tino Martinez hit a Grand Slam at Yankee Stadium ninety eight. Okay, so I was five years old, and isn't it amazing? I remember the roar of the crowd, the excitement around that home run five.
Speaker 3: But that's what baseball does, is it captivates you. It does, And the memories, early memories I have. I remember being even playing when I was a kid down at Mount Pleasant, Okay, Mount Pleasants Field, up at York Wood We used to play up at Yorkwood Field up there, and then down at Mount Pleasant. So even as a player, you remember when you first, you know, had that bat in your hand, had that glove on your and it's the first thing I ever knew was baseball. And going to games when I was probably even earlier than that. What I remember is that one, but I may probably was dragged out to a game earlier even even that, and then after that it's once it's in your blood and you love it and it's just something about to be able to sit there like on a Saturday and that Tim knows this would help in terms of getting that love and that passion and that looking forward to we didn't have games on every night, I could go in there and I have it. I love watching the late night games because that's when it frees up time for me, is at ten thirty eleven o'clock at night, and I love watching the West Coast games. I love that because everything calms down, the phone's not ringing. I'm not don't need anything else to be done from the ESPN standpoint, and not going to relax and enjoy that. But as a kid, the only games we had were Oriol games, and then we had Saturday. As you know, it's him two fifteen, right, Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubeck, you know doing that two fifteen game. That's the first time on Saturday afternoon at two fifteen Eastern we had a chance to watch the National League or other teams. Then Monday Night Baseball started where we were just watching the Orioles. So you really look forward to that Saturday afternoon. They gave us a doubleheader was great. But that Saturday afternoon at two fifteen Eastern with Garagiol and Kuebec, it was one for the books. And then we remember all the great broadcasters, and that's what I always remember as well. Those were the ones, those individuals I think contributed to the love of our of the game, the love of the sport. Were the great broadcasters as well. That I always say, the voices of the sport, the voices of football, the voices of baseball. And that's something that in your memory bank forever. And luckily you can unfortunately you can go to the internet now and pull those games. Not do it a lot. I'll go back and watch a game, a Coke game from back at the Memorial Stadium. Remember the Christmas Eve game against the Raiders in the late seventies, an overtime game ruined my Christmas when we lost that game. You remember the Ghost to the Post and all that, So you know, those those are the things you could go back and watch. The Orioles from days to watch Weaver arguing out with the Tiger game, you know, Earl flipping the hat, wrote kicking the kicking the third I mean Weaver. Earl Weaver was unbelievable and just and all those personalities of the Orioles. And I even I referenced Paul Blair to him the other day in terms of tracking the ball. They go about receiver. I said, no, why tracked the ball better than Paul Blair did, played that shallow center field and nothing got by him, nothing went over his head. He got through the warning track. Then he was great, a great player to watch. So luckily, Tim, we had great players, great teams to grow up with. And when I watched the Dodgers or listening to Dodgers, I had great players there to watch as well.
Speaker 1: Now we do a segment on the show where we had people send us voice notes for I am a seam head, right. It's them admitting something that maybe you know, you don't talk about on a first date with a woman, but between us fans of the game, you would go, wow, that's impressive. Like knowing one guy send us a note that he knows who made the final out of every World Series in the last like sixty five years, right, So not asking you to be that nerdy or that impressive, whatever way we want to look at it. But is there something in baseball that you love, something about the numbers, something about a stat something about those teams growing up that makes you a bit of a seam head.
Speaker 3: Well, I remember stir ups and sanitaries back in the day, Timmy. It's the one thing. I wish they had a dress code in baseball. I wish we could get back to that instead of the sweatpant. Look you know where the sweat Yeah, I wish we could get back to that. But baseball changed over the years. But in terms of I just I always gravitated to the uniform and the numbers and trying to remembering the numbers. That's what we do in football. You remember more the number than the player's name immediately. And then you would always keep scores. I always try to keep score as many orio games when they were playing on the road, they'd be playing in Cleveland where they were playing, keep scoring of the game. I still have that back there. I can show you some of those keys I kept score of back in the seventies, early seventies, So it's it lend itself to baseball because of the pace of the game. You know, now they have all these different things going on. I don't understand, Tim, you have to explain to see some of the things going on. I used to be just you know, RBIs in the aver batting average and that he got a million ways with analytics to evaluate a baseball player. But it was a little simpler back then. But you know, I think the numbers and the stats and everything that went involved with baseball and now it led to analytics. And I always say for football, I was kind of doing analytics before it became in vogue. I was always keeping track of how many of this position did well. Running backs I started that trend of not taking your running back in the first round. Everybody's kind of jumping on that bandwagon. So you try to do a little analytics with everything you do. And certainly for baseball it's huge, and in football now it's taken over. As you know, Tim and Jeff. Now football is all about analytics as well, so and the draft is kind of about analytics. So it's all ties together these two sports in a lot of ways. And then watching some guys like Kirk Gibson. Kirk Gibson I rode up from Michigan State is a heck of a wide receiver. He could have been great in the NFL, but baseball stole Tim. You stole Kirk. You guys playing baseball, And then with the Dodgers ruined in the A's and Dennis Eckersley when he was hurt, you didn't even know if he was gonna play, and he hits that home dramatic home run. And here's Kirk Gibson, who I rode up as a football player, could have been a great wide receiver with his size, his physicality, his his ball skills, his hand eye coordination and all that. But he ended up playing baseball. And so you always had that type of thing too, where you had, you know, great athletes. It's just winning of John Elway even threatened to play baseball when he was drafted member by the Colts. I'm gonna play baseball, and they traded him to Denver. So the the memories I have too, some of those guys that could do everything. We talked about how great Travis Hunter is. Kirk Gibson was an unbelievable athlete back in the day, and a lot of those baseball players could have played Dave Winfield. What do you get drafted in three sports? Tim? Yes, he did so.
Speaker 2: Now you know a lot about baseball. You have an encyclopedic memory about football. I know baseball, basketball, and scoms from the sixties, and that's all I know. Does your memory bank work for things other than baseball and football? Can you remember phone numbers? Can you remember things when you and your wife would go out?
Speaker 3: How does that work? I don't remember much of anything beyond this stuff, Tim, I really don't. I mean, and even people always asking me about a lot of things from the draft going back, and I do remember a lot of what went on back in the nineteen seventies when I started. But going forward, we're always looking for the next prospect him, you know that, girls looking for the next great player coming out of high school into college.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm a big college football fan as well. You gotta be yes, I grew up loving college football, loving the great voices of college football. I was a huge Chrishenkle fan back in the day. Got a chance to talk to Bill Fleming back in the day, who was a unbelievable voice of college football as well with the college football today. The only time we had got highlights was that Sunday with college foot all today league into NFL Today. That was all Bill Fleming hit me up all night tim Saturday night, driving all over to get to a studio to put all that together so we could see highlights of six games. See the band at halftime stadiums we didn't see because we didn't watch those, weren't able to watch those games on TV. And Bill Fleming provided a lot of that as well. So I grew up Howard coch Sells and all the great broad Gay, Keith Jackson, I mean a great broadcame Lindsey Nelson. I mean that's why I say the voices of sports for me tow I'll go gradual and coupback. That's what I think grabbed you as a kid, and just you maintained that love and that passion you couldn't miss and you knew that voice and you really watched it as much for the game as the voice and the broadcaster that's covering that game. Okay, just it just had you had a certain feeling about it when you watched it. When that broadcaster and that voice was calling that game. So for me, I don't look back as often as I look forward now, Tim, So my memory, no, I don't remember much at all. Chemist remind me a lot of things that were going on or with scheduling or this that, and phone numbers some not a lot of have you'll if I took you back to the office, Tim, you're all your viewers. You're millions of viewers that would be looking at somebody say is he nuts in a drawer next to me? I have ripped off papers of phone numbers that I've never I tried to put them together the best I can, but it's totally disorganized. When I have to find a number, I have to go through like ten twelve sheets of paper that I'll have all these numbers to find the number of the person I'm looking for. So it's just and I kind of like doing that. I don't mind if I it just gives me something to I'll go through it. But I have that back in the office as well. I got all kinds of books back there on baseball. If he'll get back there. It's kind of a memorabiliy Pete Rose signing different things, this, different autographs from all different people the helmet phone from the nineteen ninety four draft to Freddie get All, he gave me the ESPN helmet phones. Back there was the Bill Tobin year. So if you go back there, there's tons of memorabilia back there in my office from baseball. I got Saint Louis Cardinal cap back there. I got the Michigan Ohio State going back there, I got tons of stuff back down' big into that memorabilia. I used to have the baseball cards back and they got tons of them, Tim millions boxes of baseball cards from back in the day. So yeah, that's the office back there, if you ever want to take a look. And I got letters I kept from George Jung and all Bill Walsh and Don Shula when I would send them the report. So I've kept all those letters and a book back there, so I have all that. So I go back there and check it out every once in a while. It's great the relive some of those things. As you were getting back they say in the seventies and eighties, from those those legends in the National Football League, Well.
Speaker 2: The baseball cards, did you play with them, did you flip them, did you trade them, or did you just save them in a box.
Speaker 3: I saved them in a box, and I could I have box after box there with the rubber band around them, you know, the piles of stacks that I'm kind of organized by team or whatever, and they're back there, and you know, I'll just I just I guess you could trade it. I just kept them and saved them. I like looking back at them. They little gum in there with them, a piece of gum, you know, And I just it was something about base My uncle had a grocery store, so he had baseball cards. It was on the grocery store. So not always going over to the grocery store with my uncle and I grabbed back of cards and always just kept going and going, from the time I was five six years old all the way up to my teen years a card after card after card, and box after box of baseball card. And I didn't do it much for I have some football cards, but it was baseball cards that you kind of gravitated to. I have some for football, a decent amount, but baseball is probably ten to one in terms of the ratio of baseball cards the football cards.
Speaker 1: Now now really fast. This is a first in podcast history, as I mentioned before we hit record my twenty month old.
Speaker 3: It's my dad and I in.
Speaker 1: The basement recording with mel Kiper and she woke up and I didn't think this would happen. So McKinley is just appearing now. Can you say hi?
Speaker 3: Say hi, good job love.
Speaker 1: So you had mentioned before we got on the air.
Speaker 3: You have you have an eight month old grandchild, right, granddaughter, Blakeley Blakelee Grace. Yeah, adorable.
Speaker 1: This is McKinley, Hope. Can you tell us a little bit. First of all, this is pop Pop is what he's called? What is your grandfather name? Have you been gifted one yet?
Speaker 3: We've tried. Kim's been throwing a different one. Blakelee's she's just starting with my mom and dad, dad and what. But I said, I'll let Blakely decide whatever she wants is fine with me. You know, Kim's deciding which she wants to be. Then Stephen, Sharon, Alex's parents, they have to they're deciding what they're gonna be. I think Steve's gonna be Pop and then I don't think Sharon's decided yet. That's Alex's parents, my son in law. So I said, leave it up to Blakely. Whatever Blakelee wants to call me, I'm fine with She's an angel, so yeah, she I have her pictures Lauren gave us for Christmas where the pictures just rotate back there. So every time I walk in here, I got Blakeley, Blakelee, Blakely. So hey, we keep in contact Lauren pretty much all day. Facetiming gives us a chance. I haven't been able to see her for doing all this stuff for the draft for the last week, and I think we make get out their Saturday. But yeah, it's amazing. So for McKinley and for Blakee, you know, couldn't be happier. Like I say, it's great with the like I said, but she will be an athlete. I guarant see that. The house is a great volleyball player at Stevenson University. That's where Lauren and Alex met at Stevenson University. He was a volleyball player out of Pennsylvania Steeler fan by the way, Tim and Jeff and uh and then Lauren athlete through high school playing all three sports. Played you know, golf. She was actually she does really good golfer, but she played in high school three different sports, and she got the Seine marklan Kelly Award for the best senior in her school. So she was athletic, and Alex is athletic, and so I would think Blakely. I mean, we're not gonna force her. But I can always see Tim I put that little ball in her hand. I can see her throw and I don't look. She throws left end right, So I don't know what she is yet, but she's gonna I think she'll be an athlete. She'll be tall. Alex's six fourth, so I always predicted she'd probably be five ten, five eleven, so we'll see, Say Alex is sixty four. It looks like Blakely's gonna be tall as well.
Speaker 1: Well, listen combined, I don't think my wife and I are the size of your son in law.
Speaker 3: My wife's four ten and I'm.
Speaker 1: Barely five foot six, So I think we either have a jockey on our hands or a theater kid.
Speaker 3: I don't know if a might be whatever worth all five that all works, Hey, I grew up with Hey, Tim and Freddie Pottek. My favorites with the Kansas City Royals Manti tal who is a guard with the member A great NC State wolf Pack basketball twenty five. Yes, I know all the little guys of yeah, the Freddie Pottek, the shortstop at the Royals during all those great years. So yeah, it's like I say, that's the thing I've beut baseball to where in football you can as well, but in baseball you size who cares, like I say, you can play the game. And it's amazing though when I see baseball players now, the ability to see that ball and hit that ball, and elevate that ball and just do the things they do with that fastball sim that's coming in ninety If you throw less than ninety five now, it's like everybody's at ninety seven, ninety eight hundred miles an hour. I don't know how to hit the ball. I mean, to have that ability to see that ball coming in a movement the way these pictures have. It's amazing. They can hit the ball with the consistency they do. And what Otani's doing is amazing. I mean, Travis Hunter is the closest thing coming out this year playing both ways. But what Otani does, what these baseball players do in general, when you get on that field and you get at that plate and you see how close that picture is. On TV, you don't get a real good feel for that. But when you're at that play and you see how close that picture is, it's amazing that these hitters in Major League Baseball are able to do what they do because these pitchers are bringing it and I don't know how. I don't know how they do it, Tim, but they are amazing athletes. And they say Ted Williams, did they have the best eyesight of anybody? Tim back in the day, Great Ted Williams.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yes, eyesight and be able to spot. Just to be able to do that, to me is all inspiring. So when I watch this on TV, you really don't get it. That's why I like to sit behind home plate and then in football being the end zone and watch the plays develop, because you really don't get an appreciation for how difficult it is to hit a baseball just put it in play. Is amazing what these do.
Speaker 2: Said it a million times. Mel average fan gets a thousand of bats of the big leagues. He gets zero hits, he puts no balls in play. He might not even make contact. That's how hard it is, all right, McKinley, Hope is on the move. So Mel, we are gonna let you go only because we have a sixteen month old.
Speaker 3: Said enough of that, Mel.
Speaker 1: The best part is that this is what the show is all about. This is ours a family podcast, right. We're not breaking down you know, oh Tani's change of his swing. We're not doing the important stuff you do analyzing these players. So to talk about you being a grandfather, to talk about your love of the game, I mean, that is what this show is all about, Jep.
Speaker 3: Tim, next year, I promise I'll have Blakely sitting here right with you when we do this. If we do it again, I'll hopefully I have Blakely sitting here right now. It's a great idea.
Speaker 2: It's a great idea.
Speaker 3: Mel.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us in the middle of your busiest time ever. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: If you could call me the night before the draft, I'll do it. If you're the best. You've been a great friend over the years. I have great respect and aberration for the work you do. Nobody does it better. And Jeff, I'll tell you fun to be with you, guys, So yeah, keep it going, Tim, work till you're one hundred and fifty pou because, like I said, I love watching you.
Speaker 2: Right, that's next year, Mel So Yes.
Speaker 1: Dad had a great line to end the interview with mel Kiper. Thank you to mel for joining us. And I mean, I'm a firm believer Dad that if there's two guys in this industry who were going to work until they're one hundred and fifty, it's you and mel Kiper.
Speaker 2: All right, if I get to seventy, that's two more years, Jeff, it will be a miracle. But I really believe.
Speaker 3: That Mel don't say that is timeless.
Speaker 2: He is a lunatic and that is the ultimate compliment. You heard what he talked about. He's got slips of paper all over his office of phone numbers. It was absolutely priceless. And he loves football so so much that I can't imagine and the draft happening without mel Kiper.
Speaker 3: So you know, God.
Speaker 2: Bless him for being this enthusiastic and this energetic for anything after all the years that he's done it. He is a national treasure on so many levels.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow morning on is this a great game or what another episode for you? Including Dad? The greatest number nine of all time from Ozzie to oral.
Speaker 2: In my correct and the greatest number ten and as a tribute to mel Kiper and the NFL Draft will have the All Major League Baseball college football team guys that played collegiately and then went on to play in the major leagues.
Speaker 1: New episodes Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays wherever you love to listen. Don't forget to hit subscribe and share the podcast with somebody you know who loves this game as much as Sweet here. Thank you for listening, and as always, thank you for being a part of our family.