Speaker 1: The following He is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 4: Good morning, everybody, Welcome to Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome to our brand spanking new SWBC podcast studio at the Star in Frisco. I'm Jess Navarres, Aisha Morrison and our girl Hailey Sutton.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna turn it around now because I feel awkward.
Speaker 6: And I'm back. Yeah, I fell offward talking to the back of your head. I really did.
Speaker 4: She is back and with us in this new studio. Ladies like, I cannot stop looking around.
Speaker 5: I know, I just caught myself. I was like, look beautiful or introing us?
Speaker 7: Is this fuchsia?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 5: Is that? Con said a fusha?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 5: It's a little fuchha It's like a fuchia and hot pink.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I say that. The pink stays on for all podcasts.
Speaker 6: I love pink. Yeah my favorite color.
Speaker 4: I love this so yeah, shout out to everybody involved to get this studio looking like this because it is beautiful. So many little cool things that we're just learning.
Speaker 5: So if you catch me like stick, you're like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're kind of absorbing it ourselves. But real quick, just a reminder you can text us with any questions you have today to our Cowboys podcast text line at eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. All right, ladies, the Dallas Cowboys back at the start and first go tonight for an open training camp for the local folks here uh in the DFW area. So very exciting times. However, a little somber weekend, uh if you will, with those injury updates, So let's get let's get into that first, because I really feel like we need to give some flowers where they're due. As far as the guys that had impacted, we know Demarvin Overshown and John Stevens Junior out for the season with acl injuries on their knees there. So this has sat with me all weekend. I have not been able to really absorb this for them because it is such a devastating blow we had a conference call with Mike McCarthy yesterday, and he talked about these guys specifically, and he was very very empathetic about it, which is so nice to see from a head coach.
Speaker 6: He didn't make it about business.
Speaker 4: He said, we have to keep our arms around both young men and support them.
Speaker 6: He basically talked about how.
Speaker 4: He wants us to be an opportunity eventually for both of them to grow in other areas in the long run. But when he was talking about them, he said, we lost two of the brightest stars in our rookie class. So again you could tell it just weigh heavy on his heart. He even said about Demarvian that, frankly, you can make the argument that he's been the star of the rookie class.
Speaker 6: Ladies.
Speaker 4: I just wanted I want to open this first segment up to talk about Demarvian and John because really there are two guys we've talked about on this podcast about how excited we were to see them continue in camp and continue in the preseason and all the things that they've been doing. Haley, you did that amazing story on overshown, So.
Speaker 6: I'm going to open the floor to you, guys.
Speaker 4: I personally, I need to get this off my chest because, like I said, it's been sitting very heavy on me. So I imagine it feeled the same way for you guys. So, Haley, what was it like when you were there? Because you were in Seattle when everything happened, you got to see them afterwards? Did you get to talk to them kind of what happened?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Being that I have a background in kinesiology, my undergraduate degree is in exercise science. Immediately, when I saw the tackle and the way Demarvian's knee sort of fell outward as opposed to just kind of collapsing, that's kind of a tailtale sign of an ACL injury because the ACL acts as tape over the front of your knee, right, and so as soon as it rips, your support goes from this to this. And so there was a picture as we were going through in the press box trying to get the story uploaded, you just saw the picture of his knee and it was just kind of folded outward, and so you kind of knew it. Obviously he was in good spirits. He walked off and a lot of people don't know this, but when you tear your ACL, a lot of times you can still walk afterwards, So I think everybody kind of knew the news in terms of over showing what happened. John Stevens as well, another guy who was able to walk to the locker room. We watched him walk, so it's unfortunate I did get a chance to catch up with him when we got on the bus to leave Seattle, and I just I walked back and it's so funny because you know, I get to have a very unique relationship with the rookies because I spend a lot of time with them in this first year. And so I walked back and it was Demo, Mazie, Isaiah Land, and Jalen Brooks, four of my absolute favorites in this rookie class. So I walk back and I'm like, oh my gosh, all my favorites. And I look at Demo and I said, how are you doing? And he said I'm good And I said, no, really, how are you doing? And he said, whatever happens, I'm good. I'm blessed. And you've seen it all over his social media this weekend of him just saying I'm still blessed, I'm still blessed, and highly favored and So while it is unfortunate because to Mike McCarthy's point, he has been the best rookie in terms of production both at practice and during games, I'm not so much worried about it because I know if any of those guys were going to take on this type of setback, that it's Demo. So he is in good spirits. I know it's going to get frustrating at times, but he reminds me so much of Demoun Clark in the way that he's going to attack this rehab and get better and be stronger. So, you know, a tough break definitely, and John Stevens as well. I don't want to get it confused, like that's also a big blow to us as well. But yeah, it's definitely awful for lack of better terms, But at the same time, I know that he's going to be a strong soldier and be able to kind of push through this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, to pick your back off of that. Like I struggled to sleep like that night because you watch his story and then obviously to like with the Marveon overshown getting into his film and just seeing what he's capable of doing. I was just I was just gutted for him and being someone that struggled through a serious injury as well myself, Like, I understand the rehab this and the stuff it takes. So to your point, Hayley, I was just very when he said like I'm good.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 7: He was being for real, like I believe it. I believe that he feels like he can get through this rehab and be okay. So I'm just hoping that he cat was a fantastic training staff, really hoping he attacks that rehab and comes back just as strong.
Speaker 8: And yeah.
Speaker 4: No, And I was going to say, when you have a guy like Damon Clark, you have a guy like Leyton Vandrush who's been with Damon Clark every step the way with his rehab process, given their different injuries, you have guys in this room that know what it's like to.
Speaker 6: Be taken out of the game because of a serious injury.
Speaker 4: They know the mental process as well, and you know, maybe it's taking time for it to set in. They know all of those feelings, they know all of the things that it takes. So it's really I think special for this team to come together and really, like Mike McCarthy said, put their arms around them during this time. During that conference call, he was asked about the depth and the linebacker group and saying, you know, he was asked, what does this mean? Are you going to look outside the building? And he was asked about another group that we'll talk about later on in the show, but he was asked about the linebacker group and he said that they're really going to lean on the younger guys right now and see what this is. He essentially said, this is a business and when things like this happen, the next guy has to be ready, so that next man at mentality still sticks, mentioning Devid.
Speaker 6: Harper and Gibarrel Cox by name.
Speaker 4: So those are two guys that I think automatically we all knew were going to start to get those reps. So as far as the linebacker group, he was asked about that, he didn't really touch on the tight end room because as we know, that's already a very stacked room. I think with John Stevens Junior out, that impacts and has a ripple effect. So I usually I want to defer back to you on this one. With John Stevens Junior out, because we know what a productive camp he's had. How much he has really risen to the challenge during this camp. What does his absence do potentially for that final roster spot.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean I would say that it kind of maybe simplifies things. I feel like John Stevens has been playing fantastic football, and if you didn't have him in the conversation of like, okay, is he gonna make this roster? Are you gonna are you gonna keep on keep four tight ends or how is this gonna work? I think it would be very difficult, given how consistent he's been at camp to just not acknowledge that or not consider him as a gentleman that may make this roster and make an impact. So I and also too, I wanted to add on to what you said about the linebackers with jabro Cox and with jabro Cox and Devin Harper, these guys need. These guys just haven't had a lot of reps, they haven't had a lot of opportunity. So I think that's a huge reason why McCarthy definitely is just like we'll call to McCarthy rather it's just like, hey, you know, we're gonna give these guys the opportunity, And I in fairness, I think that is because they haven't had a lot of reps. But yeah, I wanted to add on.
Speaker 6: No, that's a great point, great point, Haley.
Speaker 4: We just got a question saying basically on our text line, which of course you guys can still text at any point of the show eight when seven two nine zero three two ninet eight. By the way, who do you think this new star is of the rookie class? With Marvi and out, who else has really stood out to you within this rookie class.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think the obvious is Deuce fun and I think us in the building we kind of knew what he would bring to the table, and I know that, you know, the outside noise is something that this franchise does a really good job of to a degree blocking out. But just seeing how his first touch in Saturday's game he put the defensive line in a spin cycle all the way into the end zone, and again we take we take things with a grain of salt because we're facing reserve defensive linemen and linebackers and that sort of thing. But still, just to see the promise there, I think he's looked really good. And going back just to that linebacker spot, I'm really excited for what Demarvin Overshown's absence will do for a guy like Isaiah Land. I know that he is playing defensive end. He wants to be a pass rusher. But I think this is a really good opportunity for them to find a way to keep him on the roster because I think right now where Isaiah land sits, he's got so much talent, He's got so much skill. I go back to that first game against the Jaguars where there was three straight series of him being held push to change, push to change, push the change, because they're literally they don't want him to get to the quarterback. He had glimpses as well against Seattle where you could see that burst, You could see how effective that he can be. I mean, this is a guy who had an abnormal amount of sex his junior year at FAM you, and so I think it gives him an opportunity to have a little bit of psition flex the way that Dan Quinn always talks about with some of these younger guys. So I think a really great opportunity for him to continue to have a strong camp and I think also again to get him a spot on this on this roster get him a spot at the very least onto the practice squad. So yeah, I would say, definitely do s Vonn has been impressive, but keep your eye on Isaiah Land.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I don't see what you said, Haley in regards to Isaiah Land. This gentleman is also playing with a chip on his shoulder. A lot of people, including myself, I felt like this guy should have been drafted, and it's a it's it's a little disappointed in that sense that I feel like he is really showing what he is capable of. If I'm not mistaken, I think per pff he's the second in the rookie class out of all the d ns as far as pressures at this point. Yeah, I mean he's getting to the quarterback's He's one of those type of players and when you watch him. I remember when we first saw him, we me and Haley looked at me. She was like, he's bigger than what I thought. He's a strong guy, but he gives you that. He has a presence to him. You can see that he's special. So I agree with you. I would really like to see if this is an opportunity to open up for him to continue to show what he's capable of and maybe be a pass rusher in some of these games in the season. And as far as my guy, my rookie that I think is now the next star now Awesome Richards, I think Awesome Richards has put together two really good games to start his season, especially since he's had to switch positions on the fly and they're asking a lot of him. I think he's answering the call, and he, I think is going to be a gentleman that's important to what they want to do this season, especially from a death piece with this offensive line and this season being so long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would also say too Jalen Brooks, and I know a lot of is his game film hasn't necessarily matched the energy of his practice film, and so on Saturday, I would love for that to translate a little bit more. But I said it a couple of weeks ago. He has such the potential to be everything you want your starting wide receiver. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but give him some time, give him some offseason, give him some reps behind guys like Brandon Cooks and Ceedee Lamb, and shoot, even Jalen Tolbert. At this rate with how well he's been performing. But yeah, I didn't want to let this segment pass without talking about my baby pony.
Speaker 4: Oh well, don't you worry. I was gonna mention it. I was like, I can bring up Jalen Brugs.
Speaker 6: Note.
Speaker 4: What I like about him is how strong his hands are. And that was something that I noticed right away at camp when we were standing out there.
Speaker 6: I was like, who is that? I was like, that's Jalen maybe.
Speaker 4: Three hands, his great hands. He makes the most athletic catches. I think that's it's very eye catching when you're watching him. So yeah, I'm so glad you mentioned that. But real quick, I wanted to give you injury updates while we're in this first block before we go to our second segment about Matt will Let's go his shoulder injury. Mike McCarthy saying that he is essentially going to see what he can do at practice today and he has a chance to play on Saturday's game.
Speaker 6: So I would take that with a grain of salts.
Speaker 5: I every time I've heard Mike McCarthy say a player has a chance to play, that's code word for he ain't playing on site.
Speaker 4: Right, So we'll see with that, and then Ronald Jones who was asked about Rojo as well, and he said he will be challenged to be ready this week. So read between the lines there with that one. But overall we're going to get into the offensive line because I have a good question to ask you guys about possibly bringing in a veteran at this point. What's your opinions stand on that? But we're going to get into that in the second segment.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jig South, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, dating partner of the Dallas Boys.
Speaker 10: If you have been thinking about weight loss surgery, my Beriatric Solutions has made it easier for you to schedule your initial consultation from the safety, comfort and convenience of your own home. You'll meet one on one with a bariatric surgeon over a private and secure video call. You'll learn everything you need to know about the options available and which procedure is best for you. If you've been considering weight loss surgery and are ready to take the first step, called my Bariatric Solutions today at eight four four three two six six two sixty six. That's eight four four three two six six two sixty six, or go to Myberiatric solutions dot com.
Speaker 11: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 5: Pepsi baby the yin to.
Speaker 12: This Burger's yang.
Speaker 11: Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to food jopia.
Speaker 6: Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with's Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound that's the sound of you and everyone else absolutely loving New smoothie bowls from Smoothie King and Whoo Me too. These smoothie bowls start with USII and Pataya and are handcrafted with fresh topics like sliced bananas, sweetberries, crunchy Purely Elizabeth granola, and a savory peanut butter drizzle. New smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsad, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We are gonna talk all things offensive line, but first, let's talk about the Jerry Jones Classic. Watch two of Texas's best high school football team's face off in the third annual Jerry Jones Classic presented by Waburger. The rock Wall Yellow Jackets will take on the Cedar Hill Long Horns on Saturday, August twenty sixth at one pm under the lights at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Get your tickets now at seageek dot com. You won't want to miss it.
Speaker 6: That sounds like fair. Guys will be packed. Yeah, Cear Hill, come out crazy. Let's see I love Cedar Hill.
Speaker 5: My mom used to coach there, so I.
Speaker 6: See all are going for Cedar Hill. Then that's what I'm getting.
Speaker 7: It's close to home for me.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: I'm not I don't know where these places are, but I'm gonna go for the rock Wall Yellow Jackets because I like that name.
Speaker 6: I think that's a solid name.
Speaker 7: That's yeah, yellow Jackets.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look, I'm gonna go with that. Anything with a yellow jacket count me in excited.
Speaker 5: Yellow jacket yellow.
Speaker 6: Oh, I guess it's a gold jacket, right, not really yellow.
Speaker 5: That's what they was.
Speaker 4: I was gonna like do a little transition here and talk about like what was going on today at the Star because it's the busy day. Bear with me, everybody, if we had something planned. Gold jacket, yellow jacket, mostly gold jacket. DeMarcus Ware. We'll be here a little bit later for some stuff going on. So I'm excited to possibly catch up with him. But then we have open practice. The Dallas Cowboys have open practice at the Star and Frisco.
Speaker 6: So excited to see that.
Speaker 4: But if you have questions, you can text us at eight one, seven, two, nine zero three two ninety eight.
Speaker 6: Let's talk some O line, ladies.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys fell short to the Seattle Seahawks twenty two to fourteen in their second preseason game of twenty twenty three, and overall, again, preseason is a great time for these young guys to get reps. And that was what Mike McCarthy had really talked about yesterday. A lot of was this is a time for them to get those real, real reps. He said, as far as big plays are concerned, yes, they're not winning with those big plays, but it's experience and they can grow from it. Let's not go line. Of course, we just talked about Matt. Well, let's go Haley. I'm gonna defer to you real quick. Let's talk about Matt real quick. Did you get to catch up with him after the game. What did you see as far as shoulder? Was there really anything?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I didn't, I didn't see it. Full disclosure. The Seattle game was nuts. So for me, I had to host our pre game show and then sprint up to the press box. So I missed kickoff because I had to get up to the press box and then sprint back down to the field to host a halftime, so I was basically just doing back and forth doing bleachers the whole Seattle game, so I didn't see the injury, but it sounds like it's the opposite shoulder from the one that he just had surgery on last year. I would be interested to talk to someone in the medical field, at the very least about how common it is to sublux your shoulder like that, because I didn't think it was super common, and so to have the same injury on both shoulders feels strange to me. So I would love to catch up and just learn the science behind that. And to me, it sounds kind of like a difficult thing to do, to pop your shoulder out, kind of sounds like a freak incident. I will say, we saw what happened last season whenever he tried to play through this injury. I think they tried it for about four weeks before they decided we just need to go ahead and have the surgery. So if I'm using context clues here, I would assume that the subluxation isn't as intense as the one last year, which is why they seemed to be confident about it. But again, you know, you just don't know to me, that's something that you don't want to play with. You've already had a soldier surgery for the same thing on one side. I don't know if you want it on the second shoulder. So yeah, it's interesting, but it definitely continues to deplete an offensive line that really, really really could use some depth at this moment. So definitely something to monitor this week at practice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we were really looking for Matt will Let's Go to possibly come it and be that swing guy and go ahead and sure that up. But I think we talked about it before last season. My niece she played basketball overseas, played all through high school. That was an injury she dealt with, and she had a similar incident where it wasn't a complete subflection is how you say it, subluxation, sub sublexation, but it wasn't a complete one to her other side where she had they had told her she needs to have surgery, but it was enough to irritate her similar to how well Let's Go was and basically from her and again I'm just talking about my experience, they were telling her that it's a structural thing, that it's a hereditary type thing that she was dealing with. And I didn't know this until someone mentioned it to me on Twitter. They were like, hey, I passed it down to my daughters and it's an hereditary thing. So I contacted my niece and I was like, Hey, did they say that to you at the doctor and she was like yeah, they told me that it was probably going to continue to happen unless I had surgery on both of my shoulders. And this is, in turn an injury that actually retired her from her basketball career. She played from the time she could walk, So it can be an injury that can linger if it's not taken care of properly. So Matt Willis goes a very gentlemen. I really just am more concerned with his overall health and hopefully that he's okay moving forward, because we're not just we're not just thinking about what happens in this game.
Speaker 6: We're also thinking about.
Speaker 7: What happens after they're done, right, So, and so it has His injury, though back to the ex's of No's, has definitely concerned me about who's going to be that swing tackle because also too, you're looking at Idoga that is, you know, hasn't been playing because he's sailing with the injury as well, So we'll be interested to see what they do and that for that position, if that is bringing a veteran in later in the off season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, overall, the depth is I think what's starting to concern a little bit is you you came into training camp with a lot of depth with these guys and younger guys that really could prove themselves. And now injury, of course, and unfortunately it's just a part of the game and we hate to see it for anybody.
Speaker 6: It's happened, and so now the question is who is that swing tackle? Who is that guy h for the team?
Speaker 4: Some guys I wanted to mention on the O line that I saw some great things for was TJ.
Speaker 2: Bass.
Speaker 4: You already mentioned awesome, which was awesome. I love that, But I think TJ. Bass did a really good job. Matt Owen tweeted out stats from PFF saying that he was second on the top five blocking grades versus the Seahawks, just behind Josh Ball. The Great Josh Ball had a grade of eighty six point five and then TJ. Bass had a grade of eighty two point four. I thought those were really really great stats to see. And then of course, right behind him was Rico Dowdell, Malik Davis and then Alec Linstrom your top five there, So, Hayley, who did you see as far as you know, guys on the O line that have really stepped up and had a good camp, really had a progression throughout camp, because it's not just what you see during preseason. You were at camp with them throughout the entire time they're in Oxnard. Who have you seen really grow throughout this time?
Speaker 5: I like TJ. Bass I like what he brings to the table. I think he's got a great attitude as well, and you can't have enough kids, you know, to have good attitudes, especially when there's a lot of flexibility for lack of better terms on that offensive line. And I think brock Hoffman as well has been really effective. And what I love about Brock is he reminds me a lot of Tyler Battish in the sense of like he's gonna ride for his dogs no matter what. He may cause some trouble as we saw on that last day of practice, but that's the guy that you want on your team. You want the guy who's going to go to bat for you, you know, lining up in front of you. So I think those two guys, But I got to be honest, I just I'm going I keep looking down because I've got the roster here, and I've got the offensive line in brackets, and I'm kind of like, oh, well, you know, Earl Bostik, he's been fine. Alex Linsterm I think has been fine.
Speaker 6: TJ.
Speaker 5: Bass I put a little dot by his name, Brock Matt farniok, I think has done okay. I think it could be better. Tuma. I don't even know that he'll make the roster at this point because he's dealing with the knee injury. Alex Taylor Prilo. I think that's how you say his last name for a guy who is seven feet tall. You want to see some aggression out of him, and it's it's not the Tyler Smith we know has been great. Josh Ball. I know you just brought up his stats, but even there, I'm like, there could be some improvement as well. And then you have awesome Richards who we've already talked about, Terrence Steele, Matt wilesco and Tyron Smith kind of round out that list. So I think that the good news is is that there's still time to figure out who your front five is going to be, and then you kind of just pray to the injury gods that you stay away from that offensive line this season. I am just saying. Jason Peters put out that he still wants to play, so right, you might need to give Uncle Jason a call maybe at some point, Uncle.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's the one position on here that I really kind of am just like a little nervous so well, and it only because we saw how much not having continuity on the offensive line really impacted this team last year. They went from being really strong Super Bowl contenders, nothing can really stop then the offense is still in a work in progress with the defense is strong, and then the minute the offensive line got banged up, the defense was having to work double time and as a result, the balance was off. So it is concerning, But like I said, they still have two weeks before the season starts to kind of get it worked out, and we'll kind of have a better idea coming up later next week with the big cut coming up.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad you brought up Jason Peters because ed from El Paso, which is close to my hometown. He made sure to mention that Hello ed from al Passo. He said, hello, ladies, what is the possibility of the team bringing back Jason Peters? So, Hayley, you you just you were on the same wavelength with the ed there and we'd love to see it. Aisha, how would you feel about Uncle Jason returning to this roster if that's a possibility.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't I'm not sure that what what the West Coast system calls for, like getting down space, getting to the second level. I don't know if that's something he will be up for wanted to be doing like the you know what I'm saying, like it's some work in some works, Yes, it's you have to have guys in the run specifically, Do I think he could deal with some of the passport, Yeah, I think he could deal with that. But as far as how active this offense seems like it's gonna be, especially in space, I don't know if Uncle's gonna want to come back and be doing all that running.
Speaker 5: So we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 7: In that regard. I love that you mentioned Hoffman because we're talking about second year jumps. I think, I mean, this is a gentleman. I didn't even know until they put him out on the field.
Speaker 5: In my life, it's so funny because like my first like the and this is please take this at face value and nothing more. But like all I think about with brock Hoffman, there is a morning at training camp before we were getting ready to do the podcast, and there's like a man walking out on the field like shirtless, no shoes, EyeBlack like all over his face. And I can't remember who I was with, but I'm like, who the hell is that out there? Like what are we doing? And you come closer and it's freaking Brockoffman, and so like now I have like this this warrior image in my head of him, and then you see how chirpy he is in practice, how physical he is it practice. So anytime someone says brock coffin, that's all I think. It's like the EyeBlack on like.
Speaker 6: Literally like an old school w W.
Speaker 4: Like that's it I have in my head and walking around like we have to tell him.
Speaker 7: That Caine the way you were describing it, But Matt Farniac.
Speaker 6: Just be walking out with intro music. Yeah, no, I think you would like this.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna lie honestly, a lot of them probably like wrestling, so we it might be a thing. It might like who who would you walk out as? Maybe that's something the media team can do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe, but I couldn't be a part of that because I couldn't tell you anything about Look. Oh it was my jam.
Speaker 6: I grew up with a brother.
Speaker 4: I was forced to like wrestling, and I was forced to be like the other wrestler, and he was like obsessed with Sean Michaels. My brother had like the whole gear. If I didmpress the music at the right time, he's like start over.
Speaker 6: Like all right, Jimmy chill.
Speaker 7: More than what I wanted.
Speaker 6: All about? All about it?
Speaker 5: Versatility.
Speaker 6: I don't know, guys, look anyways, but off topic.
Speaker 8: Back to yeah, but back to brock hoff Hoffman not a wrestler, He's a football player. Yes, so they switched I think last was it last game they switched Hoffman to uh center?
Speaker 5: I know it was it guard. I think Hoffman was playing guard and they.
Speaker 7: Had Farniac played center. It wasn't that the way around particles. I don't want to get it mixed up. It's gonna mess up my point, but I do believe that brock Hoffman looked better at center. I felt like his snaps, his his rhythm, his timing were good, and I think he gets off the ball a little bit faster than Matt Farniac at that center position. So that that was something I wanted to say, because I know they switched them at some point in time. I don't know if it was this game or.
Speaker 5: But they did.
Speaker 7: They switched them this game, I believe, and brock Hoffman was that left guard and Matt Farniac played center and there were some issues there, especially with the interior. So to your point, Hayley, I remember you just said you said Matt Varnier has meant and I'm like, I think he was better when he was, you know, at left guard. I think so too, has looked better at center. So that was just something I wanted to mention. And I wouldn't be mad if Brockman, if Brockman Brockman LORDI, but if Hoffman was your backup center, I like kind of what I've seen from him there to this point, and I think that's.
Speaker 4: Kind of what the situation has been because when I was seeing him at practice at training camp, he was taking those center snaps behind Beyaddish.
Speaker 6: I know him and Tyler.
Speaker 4: Biottish, Yeah, really well together. So I think that's more what they're going for at this point.
Speaker 6: I think they're just kind of trying to shuffle things to see.
Speaker 5: Oh so that's how they got him. On the depth chart too, is listed as a left guard and Hoffman is listed as the center, and it kind of this is to be fair, this is against Jackson Jacksonville. Thank you. I don't know what like the blue and green, It's okay, Yeah, they do have it. On the depth chart. Here is Farniac on the left guard and then Hoffman at center.
Speaker 4: So well, you know, what I think is very interesting is if you can afford to at this point because there's still some contracts that that are in the works, hopefully with Dak Prescott, Michaeh Parsons, Seedee Lamb, you know, a little important there. I think it comes down to a matter of money at this point. If if they can squeeze in a veteran in the line, I would love to see Jason Peters back. I think it takes off stress out of a lot of aspects because when I'm even looking at the run blocking grades, you know, Jalen Tolbert graded the highest, Payton Hendershot and then Josh Ball. So if you can take you know, the run blocking grades and kind of take the run block pressure off of your wide receivers, and you know your tit ends are going to be part of it a little bit more. But get a big guy back in there that you know is reliable. He can plug and chug. That was really his deal, plug and chug. And then you're talking about a really young group who better than Jason Peters to come back in and kind of work his Jason Peters effect like he did with Tyler Smith. So I think, if it's possible, sure, look into it. But we'll see something else. I wanted to touch base on real quick in this segment, but we're going to go ahead and go to Our next segment is the running backs and the wide receivers, and of course we have to talk all things defense. We're gonna talk Mazzie Smith as well. We'll be right back. This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk.
Speaker 6: Presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: At Jigsaw Dating. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, We're more focused on finding the person who'll put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 11: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans.
Speaker 6: It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 11: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool Petsy finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 10: If you have been thinking about weight loss surgery, my Bariatric Solutions has made it easier for you to schedule your initial consultation from the safety, comfort and convenience of your own home. You'll meet one on one with a bariatric surgeon over a private and secure video call. You'll learn everything you need to know about the options available and which procedure is best for you. If you've been considering weight loss surgery and are ready to take the first step, call Myberiatric Solutions today at eight four four three two six six ' two sixty six. That's eight four four three two six six ' two sixty six, or go to Myberiatric Solutions dot com.
Speaker 12: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by jags Outh, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboy. In this last segment, we're going to touch base on some running backs and all things defense. But first stock Fan of the Year. You eat, sleep, and breathe the Dallas Cowboys Football tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself or another today at Dallas Cowboys dot com slash.
Speaker 6: Fan of the Year.
Speaker 4: Speaking of fans, I'm sure we will see plenty of them. Well yeah, oh, text line, Yeah, you're right, we'll see plenty of them later today.
Speaker 6: But fans, anybody, if you want to text.
Speaker 4: Us, you can text us at our Cowboys podcast text line at eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 6: Okay, why are you looking at you?
Speaker 5: Nothing?
Speaker 7: I just that your nails match that and this do is just is dealing with something to me.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think so. I think it's a little it's close. That's hilarious. I'm sorry, No, it's okay. I thought you're trying to tell me something.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, Oh my goodness, Okay, let's go into running backs, Haley. I know you wanted to touch base on this one during the last segment, but we'll carry it over to this one.
Speaker 6: Running backs Duce Vaughan look. Mike McCarthy was asked is Duce going to play this week?
Speaker 4: Is it time to sit him out? And he said, we won't know until later this week. However, sit him out. I don't want to see.
Speaker 6: Him until Week one against the Giants. I'm good.
Speaker 5: I have an unpopular opinion.
Speaker 6: I think hot take.
Speaker 5: I don't what's not even a hot take. I just I really don't think Deuce is going to be running back too. And it's not a dig on him at all. I think he's talented, I think he's special, and I think that he is going to be such a benefit to this Cowboys offense. But there is something to be said about size. And I know that we talk about it a lot. I know that he hears it all the time, and I am so proud of what he's been able to accomplish. You know, he's proved the haters wrong. At the same time, think about you know, guys like let's take Ezekiel Elliott for example, who started off explosive runner for his career thousand yards, thousand yards, thousand yards. He was crushing it and then there comes a point of time in a running back's career where the mileage gets a little too heavy for what the car is trying to do. Right, It's like my Jeep compass right now. Like when I first got her, she was great. She was racking up the mileage, we were driving cross country, we were doing everything. And now we're in year ten of having her, and she's slowing up a little bit. And I think that that is expedited when your frame isn't as big, and I worry that it's just he's one tough tackle away, one Aaron Donald pancake away from struggling. And so that's not to say I don't want him to make this roster.
Speaker 6: I really do.
Speaker 5: I think he's fantastic. I think he's got a great skill set that the Cowboys will use. That being said, I want someone else as the running back too. I want to be able to save Deuce and use him as you know, use him in special packages. I love that the opposing defensive line has a hard time seeing him. I just don't know if I'm there in terms of signing off on it being Tony Pollard and Douce.
Speaker 6: Van my take on this, and I agree with you. I think that's a great take.
Speaker 4: I personally, I have had my eyes on Rayco Dowdell this entire ots in mini camp. I think he's been so impressive. And Mike McCarthy at the nail on the head saying, you're seeing a healthy Rico Dawdell, and that's exactly what you're seeing. I wonder if there is a world where it's not just a one two punch anymore, it's a one two three, maybe a one two and a half punch, because the thing about Rico is, you know he's healthy and he's doing great. However, if you can extend all of the lifespan within these athletes career and then even post football, I wonder if there's a way where, yes, you have Tony Pollard taking those snaps and then you have Rico Dawdell or Malik Davis at that point, and then you have a third guy, whether that be duce Vaughan Hunter Lipke'. There's options here where you can go with I. It depends if you want to add a five back. Yeah, it depends if you want to add a full back. More than likely, though I'm on the Ducevan train of keeping him on the roster because like I've been talking two, you need to know a brown guy, and you need a backup for that punt returner position for if something were to ever happen to Cavante Turp and you need that backup guy. Or you can even start to interchange a little bit. You can get a little creative. They want to have Cavante a little more integrated into the offense. That takes the pressure off of him to not be taken so many hits with those punt returns. You have Deuce that can take a little bit more, especially if he's not taking as many of those running back reps as well. Yeah, so welcome to my Multiverse of Madness running Back Edition, because this is something I have been sitting on of I'm adamant that you take three. You take Tony Pollard. Obviously, I'm still convinced that Rico Dawdle is the guy. And then you have ducev On as kind of leverage backup if something happens to Rico, and then he also plays a part in the special team's asset as well.
Speaker 5: The only way I change my mind on that, and it all just kind of depends on Rojo, and I think I hope that we get an opportunity to see him at practice this week. I've really been trying to go out of my way to talk to him a little bit more because you can almost feel like he'suggling a little bit in this locker room. You can tell that you know, he maybe just doesn't mesh with some of the players. I think he tries really hard to be involved, and then you know, you had that groin injury, and then you get stopped with the suspension, and so it's just a lot to handle at one point. And on top of that, he can't even practice to kind of, you know, clear his name for lack of better term. So I love that Mike McCarthy is challenging him to be back at practice this week because I think Rojo needs that. I think he needs the opportunity. And we saw him at camp. The times that he did get in, he was effective. I didn't see a lot from him in terms of pass protection, but as far as breaking open, being a little bit slippery of a running back, finding the gaps and getting through, I think he's extinctual in that way. And I think when the Cowboys signed him in the off season. That was the intention, and so I don't think that they've lost sight of what Rojo can bring to the table. But it's hard when you've got a five to six running back or right five six rookie running back out running you and you can't even practice. So big week for sure for Rojo. I'd like to see just how well he can compete in that too, because he if he can get on the field, he's also a special teams factress well, I don't think in terms of returning, but at the very least being on punt coverage, on kickoff coverage all that. So big week for him.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I like what I've seen from Rico Dado as well. He to your point about pass bro he threw his body around a lot in this past game, just showing the willingness to to do that, to sacrifice his body for his quarterback. I thought that was important. I'm really hoping that this weekend he can put it all together, you know, because I feel like, you know, the weird fumble last last game that may not have been his fault but still just happened that way. And then the miss block, yeah, the miss block on the punt. Is he Yeah, and then you're terrified Black Yeah, because then you're terrified because we haven't talked about Brian Anger that much. But he's a weapon in this for this team and also when you're there's a lot of trust that goes into being, you know, on being a protector there. So I'm looking for him to possibly put it together all this this game. But you did see some of the vision. You saw some of the bursts, some of his shiftiness. Also toil, we saw that he runs through his pads. You know what I'm saying, Like, he really is not afraid of contact, and that's something that we've talked about. And in regard to duce Von, I agree with you guys that you got to find a way to get him on the field. I think it'll be different packages and how they decide to use him and whatever the case may be. But I don't I will say that I'm not afraid of his armor though I think that he has. If you if you look at how he works and how much he puts into his body, kind of similar to how Micah described it as this past offseason, is like he's callous. Now he's done that. If you look at how much he's put into douce Von is put into his body to protect himself for his size. I'm not as worried about him getting injured in that fashion. But I totally get what you're saying about the pass pro because that's.
Speaker 5: Especially here huge.
Speaker 7: It's huge. He's not afraid to throw his body. But to your point, you don't want that to take away from the player. So whoever is the running back to if it which I do think it is gonna be Rico Daddle, you definitely could see him in a different capacity, you know, really pass you know, past blocking a lot more because that's not something that Douce Bond is going to be really doing like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and not that he's not capable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think that's my point too, like just just I don't want him just because it's to be doing. Yeah, I want him to be effective and continue to have this this long career a play how he's playing. But I don't want that to be limited because he gets crying. I've seen the day.
Speaker 7: And dudes and and don't don't get twisted. Guys are going to be looking for him. Yeah, guys are going to be looking for Tis because he's it's almost annoying how fast he is. It is, and when guys get the opportunity to get their hands on him, you best believe they're gonna they're gonna try to make them make him remember him. So you you want to definitely be I'm not saying be careful with the player, but definitely be cognizant of that stuff, because, yeah, people don't be.
Speaker 6: Hind for him of how they use him. Real quick, Mike McCarthy mentioned Rico Dowdell.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to Rico Dowdell real quick. He said, I love his running style. He runs angry, he has pass protection with a lot of urgency. He sticks his nose in there.
Speaker 6: He also talked about.
Speaker 4: The non block with the punt pro and he said that pump pro has not been an issue for Rico. He said, I really don't see this being a reoccurring thing. It hasn't been an issue. He's not worried about it. So again, what I like about Rico is he had the fumble the first week on the one yard line. I talked to him right after the game. It's like, how are you feeling. He's like, I could have done without that fumble. And I said, go get a touchdown next week. So I'm very excited to see him this week, to go up to him say, hey.
Speaker 6: You got your touchdown. What's next.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get two touchdowns the next time you play. So what I like about him is he has that fight. He has that willingness to say, look, I messed up. It's on me, but I'm gonna do better. And to me, that's a coachable guy that you want in your locker room. This is four years coming for him. He knows this is the biggest opportunity they had to have this this time to shine. Really, so break o'dowdell. I've gotten to know him a lot during this off season, and I'm really rooting for a complete game for him. Like you said earlier, course, real quick, let's touch on Mozzie Smith. A lot of criticism coming out for Mazzie Smith. Something that I like that McCarthy mentioned yesterday was he's a rookie.
Speaker 6: Two guys, he's a.
Speaker 4: First round draft pick, but he's a rookie too. Rookies need work, they need polishing up essentially. You know, Mike McCarthy didn't say have that grace, but he just said here's a reminder, he's also a rookie, so is the criticism.
Speaker 6: I mean, we we know.
Speaker 4: What the Dallas Cabby is gonna be blown up because it's you know, it's Dallas Cowboys. But where does where does Mozzie Smith need the work?
Speaker 6: And have you seen progression? Asha? And then I'll go to Haley.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I kind of want us to know how you felt about it first.
Speaker 5: I know that I don't know.
Speaker 7: I kind of want you to because you've seen him up close in personal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love Mazzi, y'all, and I have a hard time. Like I mentioned, I have a really unique opportunity to get to know a lot of these rookies a lot better than some of the older guys, mostly because I forced them to get to know me. But Mazzi in particular, I have such a good relationship with and so a lot. Even in the game on Saturday, I had to take my rose colored glasses off for a minute and evaluate who he is as the player, and you know, and not say like no, like it's Mazzie, It's okay. The reality is is this is a guy who has never had to worry about the fundamentals of football because He's always been bigger, better, faster, stronger than everybody he has faced. He's been that way since he was little and first started playing football. It was the same at Michigan where he was picking up equipment because the weights weren't heavy enough for him to work out with. And now you're in a situation where your coach is the same size as you. You know, you're facing guys like Jonathan Hankins who are trying to help you get stronger and get better, and that's the standard that you're trying to get to. And so I love Mike McCarthy saying he's a first round draft pick. They're babies, guys. And I know that there is levels to being an NFL football player, and I know that when you get drafted and when you decide to go this path, that your expectations are so much greater than other people. But Mazzi is what twenty one maybe twenty two? I mean, like, what were you guys doing when you were twenty one and twenty two? So I just want to continue to emphasize that.
Speaker 6: He was playing in two thousand and one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're they're young, They're they're very young. What I've loved about Mazzi though, is every time after the game I make it a point to go and talk to him and just check in, how are you doing, how you're doing, how you're doing, And every single time he's very similar to Demo, where he's very locked in, very focused, very big on saying like, yeah, I'm good, I'm good, I'm good. But the I'm good has translated to practice. Mazzi is one of the first guys who was always out on the practice field, working one on one with coach Dirty, working one on one with coach Floyd, working one on one with guys like Michael Parsons and Jonathan Hankins, trying to get there. And I've said this from the very beginning of preseason. Preseason is an extension of training camp. These games do not matter because they are not real games. They don't go on the schedule as far as your record goes, because it's practice.
Speaker 6: It's practice.
Speaker 5: So it's okay in the sense to see Mazzi make mistakes because you want him to make the mistakes in the preseason games. You don't want him to make it against the Giants. So I do think he has a long way to go in terms of tidying up the fundamentals. But the good news is he's working on that and he's getting there. And we have to remember that he is twenty two years old. It's going to take him a minute to get adjusted. Sometimes these guys come in the league and they're guys like Garrett Wilson or Sauce Gardner, who are they get it right away? Right? Mozzi may need a little bit more time, and that's okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean it's interesting because I think I said last week, he's a lot more raw than what I think I even knew he was. And what I mean by that is the fact that he has he's getting coaching that maybe he wasn't getting before. He's also doing things that are different than what he was doing before. His stance has changed, so the timing off the ball is like people are really concerned with that. I think he's also in his head a bit because he's learning technique. Then he's learned and if you ask, even as Jonathan Hayks last year, he told me he didn't start to get it and just know it until he had been in.
Speaker 6: For several years.
Speaker 7: The it's actually disappointing to me to see how people are reacting to Mazie because I think that maybe they don't know exactly what they're looking they're looking at as far as that, So yeah, I it reminds me of Sam Williams in a sense where it's like he came in, he had to learn a lot more about football, and now we see that ascension. So I'm being very patient with the player and I think we'll see improvements also to this guy's playing a lot of reps yep, almost full games. He's not going to be doing that in games, so yeah, I'm looking to see how he bounces back.
Speaker 6: He'll be all right.
Speaker 4: Something else I wanted to men is he's not playing with Jonathan Hankins next to him, So I think you're gonna see a lot more production in you know, the nose area of your D line when you have Jonathan Hankins and Mozzie Smith. Very similar to you know, a Tyler Smith Jason Peters situation of having that veteran presence right next to you in the real game situation to say hey, do this next time.
Speaker 6: It's very different in practice than it is on the field. So there's that. We're gonna wrap up our show for today.
Speaker 4: We kept you guys a little bit longer, so sorry about that. We love talking ball with you guys. We'll be back Thursday morning at nine am, so make sure to tune in there for jessinvar As, Haley Set and a Nish Morrison. This has been Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferre dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and we'll see you on Thursday.
Speaker 6: Have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.