Speaker 1: Hey, there're folks. It is Monday, February second, and the Grammys wrapped up at about eleven forty pm last night, and by one am, the President was threatening to sue the host of the Grammys, And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Just one of the eventful things that happened last night. Robes, we shouldn't be surprised, CBS involved, a comedian is involved. Trump said he is going to sue. This is beyond just a threat, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh he was actually saying that he was going to take great joy Oh yeah, ensuing him. He actually seemed gleeful about the opportunity to sue Trevor Noah.
Speaker 1: Yes, that wasn't certainly the biggest moment of the night, but it certainly was a part of now what will be continued drama. But what a show We did kind of a podcast rolled an episode one hour in recommending that folks, hey you might want to tune in, and you know what, now, I wish we would have gone stronger and telling people make sure you catch this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't realize what was about to happen. We literally had another fade done away moment from the Oscars way back when when she accidentally read the wrong best picture.
Speaker 1: This one was funnier.
Speaker 2: This one was funnier. Chaer was. She looked incredible, I have to say, to be in that dress. I mean, she walked on stage and stole the show as she eighties does what she's eighty something, and it's hard to get my head around when I'm looking at her. But she struggled immensely with direction and what she was supposed to do. This is someone who probably just does whatever she wants to do and maybe isn't as good at taking direction. It got a little befuddled and confusing.
Speaker 1: It was, and you know, some of it I don't think was her fault. I think she was set up for a little failure there by the Academy. We'll get into that. But yes, it was a fun night in a lot of ways. We will get into why Chare was a mess and also Chapel Rohan's dress. Robes was just explaining that to me and I still don't understand. Also, Justin Bieber wore boxers for his performance, while Lady Got Guy wore a wicker lampshade. Also last night, Jelly Roll preached about Jesus, while Bad Money preached love over hate. Also, there was a Supreme Court justice in the audience last night. Also a number of Ice references last night, and the joke we were talking about, what was the joke that prompted President Trump to announce that he will be suing Grammy's host Trevor Noah, also one of de moos, talked about moments last night. Miley cyrus, she's being accused of being a sore loser. I wrote down here, Robes, I didn't discuss with you ahead of time, but our absolute favorite moments I wrote down low lea Young of course, and then Lauren Hill's big performance. Was there anything else I'd left off that jumped out for you? Was a favorite moment from last night?
Speaker 2: Those were just powerful performances. They gave you chills. It was incredible. I love I love me some Olivia Dean. So she delivered just in the way you wanted her to. She's just this perfect package. I love her music and she's just a sweetheart.
Speaker 1: I think you hit it. You said she was great, But when I think about her great moments, not her performance, which was always fantastic, but just seeing her in the crowd, her reaction. She's just a cute, sweet She's different from a lot. She's not selling sex. I'm standing up here. I'm a sweet, innocent girl. Even when you said when she tries to look sexy, she still looks.
Speaker 2: It's adorable and her music is just uplifting, and I don't know. Look, I appreciate art, and I appreciate people having taking their anger and using it for art, but I just sometimes love a positive, great upbeat song. She delivers every time.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna hit all that, but we do need to a bunch of categories. But the biggest one, no doubt, and it was a history maker Ropes Album of the Year, first time a Spanish link non English language album, I believe one. So this was a big deal in maybe one that people predicted.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he had you know what, he he spoke most of his acceptance speech in Spanish.
Speaker 1: Bad Bunny. We haven't said that.
Speaker 2: He Oh, I'm so sorry, you know what, It's so funny. I'm looking at bad Bunny. I'm assuming that everyone. Yes, sorry, bad Bunny. Yes, he want a debbie. It's a Davy tyrarmas photos is the name of his of his song, and he was amazing. Even though we didn't fully know what he was saying, you felt what he was saying.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, and I was almost hoping he'd do the whole thing in Spanish, just to make a point. And his for the Album of the Year speech he did mostly Spanish. Yeah, the one earlier for the Latin Album of the Year, if you will, he did. He mixed a lot of more English, a lot more English in that, but this was a big one. In his moment, he took a minute to get up, He sat at that table for a little while.
Speaker 2: You know what it spoke to, just the weight of it all, you know. And I think it's one of those things too. I think a lot of folks expected him to win. Obviously, he's headline. I mean, he's doing the super Bowl halftime show. A lot of pressure. We know what happened with Kendrick Lamar last year. He might have felt like, when the expectation is that you're going to win, you probably tell yourself it's not going to happen. And then when it did, you could just see him. I think he was taking it in.
Speaker 1: Look he's had. We talked about how great a year Kendrick Lamar had from whooping Drake's ass in a rap battle to capping it off with all those Grammy wins to capping it off with the Super Bowl Bad Bunny had his having one of the greatest stretch runs of any musician we've seen. That residency he did down in Puerto Rico was gangbusters and it's just but he's also been in the center of a big national conversation. He's just had a year and this. You can't get a bigger award in music, and you can't do a bigger concert in music than the one he's about to do in a week. That's enormous.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so congrats them. He sat there roll u til moment for so long, I said, does somebody want to tap him? Right to go?
Speaker 2: He was uncomfortably long actually at a certain point, but he didn't get up. Just when everyone started to get a little concern, he did get out and celebrate the moment.
Speaker 1: I know you're excited. Another big one Record of the Year last night. This was a heavy category, but the right song one for Record of the Year.
Speaker 2: This is my favorite song. Kendrick Lamar was his Luther and this is where we'll get into Share had a little whoopsie. We were like, what did she say?
Speaker 1: You know? It went from cute and charming to like somebody help her please? It went. It was a bit of a mess.
Speaker 2: But thanks Luther Vandros as the winner, except for she didn't even say Vandros correctly.
Speaker 1: Yes, So we will get into exactly what Share did, but we went through some of the biggest ones. Song of the Year went to Billie Eilish for the song WildFly Flower. I didn't realize it had as big of a year as it did, but she won the Song of the Years for songwriting and Record of the Year is for the artist or do I have it mixed up? Correct? All right? Best Pop Solo Performance Lola Young. This was a moment of the night in that you could tell maybe Robe she was so surprised that she won this award.
Speaker 2: It was actually adorable. She well, she had a lot of expletives. They couldn't catch up with her. Her f bombs one Scott doubt. I don't know what that FCC find will be, but it certainly will be hefty. But no, it was just it was adorably authentic. She genuinely had not prepared a speech. She did not think she was gonna win. It was.
Speaker 1: It was a cool moment. She was delightful. Best Pop Vocal Album Lady Gaga. Mayhem didn't realize. Also how big of a year she had. Also, we'll get back to this category in a second. It created one of the most viral moments of the night, actually, but it wasn't from Lady Gaga. Also Best Contemporary Country Album jelly Roll. This is a cool moment once again. He's known for this now and a lot of award shows. He gets up there and you can hear him preach, at least talking of a given testimony, but last night he went even I thought he sounded more Southern preacher than I heard.
Speaker 2: Jelly Roll was past a role. I mean, he really got up there and he was in church. I mean the whole time he was talking to Jesus, talking to God and thinking and asking everyone else to come find Jesus. So yeah, he was. He was in his he was in his space, and he was living large.
Speaker 1: The best new artists of the night Olivia Dean adorable as always. Maybe no surprise there. That was another the cool thing they did. All the artists performed back to back to back all the new artists Nomine's and then Best Rap Album Kendrick Lamargi and X once again. So that was awesome. Some robes the politics we expected, do we expect more? They didn't go as hard as they could have. We had several ice out buttons that were being worn on the red carpet and on stage. But robes, I don't help me. Did I not hear anybody refer to President Trump specifically on stage?
Speaker 2: I never heard his name, uh, except for Noah Trevor, which we can get into.
Speaker 1: But he's the only one.
Speaker 2: Sorry. I always say that Trevor Noah. I have a hard time. It's the two first names, and I Trevor Noah. Sorry, and it's early. I'm sorry, I just my brain. We got three hours of sleep last night because we stayed up towards the Grammy.
Speaker 1: So that was you're welcome. Sorry, this is what you did in folks, bad buddy, Like we said. He had two speeches he made up there to acceptance speeches, and one the first one he just said, first of all, ice out, and that got a huge applause, I think, standing ovation. And then he went on to say and in English He tried to mumble through something at first, and he said, actually, I don't know how to say this in English, but he just went with this, We're not savage, We're not animals, We're not aliens. We are humans. We are Americans. Also, I want to say to the people, I know it's tough not to hate these days. The hate is more powerful with more hate. The one thing that's more powerful than hate is love. Thought that was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, And you know what, that is a beautiful way to express your disdain of what's happening, but also look at it through a lens of positivity and just you know, encourage more love, less hate. I thought that was the right way to do it. I also loved how Olivia Dean she really found a way to say something without being offensive. She said, I'm up here as a granddaughter of an immigrant. I'm a product of bravery, and I think those people deserve to be celebrated. I thought that was the perfect way to put it.
Speaker 1: And then, of course Billy Eilish, I guess most would expect her to say something. I think she and her brother were wearing those ice out buttons. But she had a few comments with the line that got a lot of attention. No one is illegal on stolen land. You can imagine how that played in the room and how it played on social media. And we will leave it at that. Robes, We'll get to Trevor Noah here. Now he made a few not necessarily direct references. Well he actually did Robes. Early on he did not, but then he got specific. Now this was the joke. We'll share the joke here. First of all, right, Robes, you have that in you. This is the joke that was after the award for Song of the Year that Billiot Eilish ended up winning. And this is what Trevor Noah's response after she had given her acceptance peak.
Speaker 2: Yes, he said, that is a Grammy, which she's speaking of Song of the Year. That is a Grammy every artist wants almost as much as Trump wants Greenland, which makes sense. I mean, because Epstein's island is gone. He needs a new one to hang out with Bill Clinton.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of red meat in there. Like for the all, it just we dip back into that. Well, the Greenland thing, the Epstein thing, the island thing. It's okay, fine. It was a safe joke, probably in the room.
Speaker 2: It was a safe joke in the room, but maybe it won't be a legally sound joke.
Speaker 1: So again, like I mentioned, the show ended at eleven forty. The President of the United States was tweeting, at least on social media, on truth social I should say, at one o'clock one one am. This was on our president's mind, and he had this to say about the Grammys quote. The Grammy Awards are the worst, virtually unwatchable. CBS is lucky not to have this garbage litter their airwaves any longer. The host, Trevor Noah, whoever he may be, is almost as bad as Jimmy Kimmel. At the Low Ratings Academy Awards, Noah said, in all caps now incorrectly about me, that Donald Trump and Bill Clinton spent time on Epstein Island. Wrong. I can speak for I can't speak for Bill. Get that in there, right, ro Let's be clear here he might have been there. Now, he continues, I can't speak for Bill, but I have never been to Epstein Island, nor anywhere close. And until tonight's false and defamatory statement, here comes the legal word, defamatory statement. Have never been accused of being there? Not even by the fake news media. Let me stop. There is that, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever said that he was there because there's never been proof that he was there. There's never been anyone who placed him there. So I yes, I don't think that anyone's ever put him on Epstein Island.
Speaker 1: It's funny how he's using another fake news media. He's like, hey, you trust them on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even they didn't lie about me like that.
Speaker 1: He continues here, Noah, a total loser. Better get his fact straight and get them straight fast. It looks like I'll be sending my lawyers to sue this poor, pathetic, talentless dope of an MC and suing him for plenty then with a little dollar sign symbol there quote Ask little George slop Adop and others how that all worked out. Also ask CBS get ready, Noah, I'm going to have some fun with you one o'clock in the morning. This one o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: I mean, he puts everyone on notice. You say something I don't like, I will sue you and he will follow through.
Speaker 1: And you think you will on this one too.
Speaker 2: I I don't know, but that defamatory old statement.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Get ready, Noah, I'm going to have some fun with you.
Speaker 1: I mean, he'll do it. Make his life hell, he can, I mean, just for giggles, maybe with no consequences, doesn't hurt him, doesn't cost him anything necessarily. But my goodness, it's a joke and defamatory. Like that's the worst thing that's going to be said about Trump today.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing is, when you're a public figure, there's such a high bar for you to claim defamation of character. It's just it's a really hard legal boundary to overcome.
Speaker 1: So we shall see, he shall see. We'll stay here with those folks we've been talking about this mess that was Scher's appearance at the Grammys. We will explain why it wasn't actually her fault maybe at all. Stay here, all right, continuing here on Amy and TJ Roapes. I was surprised that maybe I didn't read into it enough, or maybe it was supposed to be a surprise appearance by Share. I didn't know she was getting a Lifetime Achievement award.
Speaker 2: I don't believe I knew that either.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we finally get to that moment in the show where a Lifetime Achievement Award is going to be given to none other than Share. Harvey Mason Junior, he is the CEO of the Recording Academy, made a presentation in the middle of the room talking about the academy. You know the thing we always see the heads of these academies too, And then he started talking about lifetime Achievement awards. And this is where things got screwing, because he said, we're gonna recognize one. He said, none other than Share. And then he said, Robes to present the Grammy for Record of the Year, please stand up for the one and only Share. This was confusing, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that because it seemed like he read that on the prompter. So maybe that was how they were getting to her, letting her give a speech about getting recognized and then she was supposed to pivot to Record of the Year. I don't know. That's a lot to put on her plate, and she certainly was not reading prompter. Now we don't know if he acceptance speech was in the prompter, should have been in the prompter, and somehow it wasn't in the prompter. No one said anything about that, but she was rattling on a lot of ums. Didn't seem like she knew where she was going. It seemed like she was buying time until the prompter maybe could have gotten and we don't know that that's the case. That might have been her plan the whole time, just to be casual and loose and not have a prepared speech. But it came off as something's not what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: They made a mistake ropes I think, and you and I do all plenty of TV production and how this goes. They never said, please welcome your Lifetime Achievement Award winner Share. They left it off as we're just introducing somebody who's going to introduce the next award. He said, Share is getting a Lifetime Achievement Award, left that and then the last thing he said was to present the Grammy for reg So it was.
Speaker 2: Confusing sentences and obviously something was wrong because Trevor Noah had to come out on this stage and interruption.
Speaker 1: Share immediately immediately because there was no acknowledgment of her getting a Lifetime Achievement Award, and it just it threw the whole rhythm off to where I thought they weren't supposed to put that in the prompter that last part were they? It was a total So this is how the whole thing starts for a very important award, and it was awkward. He had to come up. She'd start talking thirty seconds in. He walks up there awkwardly with an award.
Speaker 2: It's like, I hate to interrupt you share, but here's your award. And then then I don't know what she was supposed to do, but then she and when she finishes her speech, it just gets awkward. She was like, I guess I'm supposed to walk off now.
Speaker 1: She was sweetheart. She was wandering around the stage in circles. She really kind of was. It was a mess, but the mess got messier at this point, so he Trevor Noah has to come back on stage and asks her, Hey, by the way, remember you're supposed to do the nominees for what category is this Record of the year. This is a big, big one, And she said, oh okay. She ends up with an envelope, right, she's reading an intro or something at this point, and then she just stops and looks around and I.
Speaker 2: Thought it was supposed to be on prompter.
Speaker 1: She said, and no, it's in her hand. The envelope is in her hand.
Speaker 2: Then she she gets confused when she looks and said, obviously the song is called Luther, it's in homage to Luther Vandros, but she reads the winner as Luther Gandrose.
Speaker 1: We were like, what.
Speaker 2: What did she just say? And we had we rewounded a couple of times because she did. Peoplere like, oh, she accidentally said Luther Vandros. She didn't. She said Luther Gandros. I don't know why she said a gen instead of a V.
Speaker 1: She was unsure, didn't know what was happening.
Speaker 2: Confusing, and then eventually and the camera goes street to Kendrick Lamar and he's looking at his butt like they're going like, what the hell.
Speaker 1: Is going on?
Speaker 2: And then she finally says Luthor. Kendrick Lamar and Sissa she gets it together. But it was it was awkward.
Speaker 1: And look. I think Kendrick and crew handled it well. They were obviously confused, but smiling and cute. And he said something. He didn't call her out. He just said Luther Vandros and kind of turned and looked her a way on stage. It was a good way of acknowledging what was a messy, messy moment. But hey, it may is live television.
Speaker 2: What you do exactly what?
Speaker 1: Noah?
Speaker 2: Trevor said, his.
Speaker 1: Name is Trevor, Noah.
Speaker 2: Honestly, my brain is completely upside.
Speaker 1: You've been watching like Double O seven movies, Bond James what, No, it's the first name is Trevor. That's how we do it here. Okay, oh my god, Okay.
Speaker 2: Let me sleep more tonight.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we have to talk about now this viral Cyrus Miley moment from last night. So Cyrus. Miley was nominated in the Pop Album of the Year category with Got Got Lady, Now go God Lady ends up winning the Pop Album of the Year, gets up, goes to make her speech. Now you've seen this plenty to where one person wins and then they show reactions of the other nominees. Everybody knows how you do this. You make sure you're smiling in that moment because you know the camera's coming. Everybody does this. They cut the Miley Cyrus. What is she looked like to you?
Speaker 2: Like she was annoyed, she was sitting down, she was yucking it up with her date. And I think that's her fiance and she then when she realized the camera was on, she quickly kind of snapped and turned, but she still didn't smile. She still looked annoyed.
Speaker 1: Oh, she looked pissed. To me, she looked bad, and just I want to give them human moments because I would be pissed too. I put my heart into this album who knows how many years, and you put it out there and you wanted to win and thought you should. It's okay to be mad. Also, it's a moment you gotta like everybody. Every other nominee was standing up and clapping, which is what they do, but she was slow clapping and didn't stand up.
Speaker 2: Yes, it did. It was not a good look. And right before they showed her, they showed Sabrina Carpenter, who looked like she was crying tears of joyful lad Lady Gaga. So it was like the juxtaposition of the two women was fairly stark.
Speaker 1: You know, even if it was fake. From Sabrina Carpenter, she knows that's what you do because the camera's coming. But it's okay. I'm mad at my side. I don't think she did anything wrong, but I wish you would have done something different, but any the truth is, look.
Speaker 2: We don't know what Miley Cyrus was thinking. I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe she actually was didn't really care. Maybe she had a couple of drinks. Maybe she was just deep in conversation. Maybe she didn't realize or forgot the camera was going to be on her. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And maybe there was nothing to it at all.
Speaker 2: Yes, it just it just didn't look good.
Speaker 1: A couple of attire issues. Last night we talked about a lady guy guys. I don't know the best way to describe it. The head dress she had.
Speaker 2: On like a like a wicker lampshade. Who was the best way I could describe it.
Speaker 1: So I didn't do a deep dive into what that represented. But it was different. Why just to be performed in his boxers alone? I don't Did he have on shoesy on socks?
Speaker 2: Yeah on, like grandpa socks like that? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he was wearing nothing but box.
Speaker 2: Down This is justin me.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's it? Oh that actually now I like it. Chapelone, I don't understand what she was wearing. I just see the headlines and I saw the dress, but I thought she was topless, she said she was not. No, well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean she had the way it was described a sheer bodice, so it looked like it didn't have So it was like kind of like a nylon netting like imagine what you would think of panty hose like that kind of a sheer netting, and that was in like a tank that connected the skirt and the She had kind of like a I guess, like a shawl over it as well. But when she took the shawl off, they are described as faux nipples with nipple rings, and that's how her skirt was hanging or her dress was hanging off of her. So it looked like she had nipple rings on her nipples that were hanging her dress. But actually it was faux and a sheer bodice.
Speaker 1: Okay, I hope y'all got all that. What I know is when you see the picture that looks uncomfortable, you have to do a close examination. But like, what is she really doing? But to what you're saying, I do understand. Now. We talked about j other roll already. We did have she didn't win last night, but a Supreme Court justice was in the building. Ka Taji Brown Jackson smiling pretty big for it was an audio book recording narration.
Speaker 2: She was nominated, right, she.
Speaker 1: Was nominated for that. But the moment of the night one we talked about Lowly Young. She was so excited when she won that award. It was a surprise to her, it appears, and just she jumped up out of her seat and almost just ran over to the wall, bouncing, not even knowing where to go. That was cool to see. But Robes, I love the song MESSI seeing her belt it out on the piano last night was the chills moment.
Speaker 2: She is a talent, I mean, and just to have that confidence on the piano to slow it down and to belt out oh my god, she gave me chills from head to toe. But so did Lauren Hill.
Speaker 1: Wow, that performance was massive. It was the performance of the night. Certainly to get Lauren Hill back on stage.
Speaker 2: Is nineteen ninety nine, I think they said, because.
Speaker 1: She hasn't been on stage since. And she stood there as almost a queen bee in this oversized dress that you cannot walk in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how she did anything in that dress.
Speaker 1: But they had artist after artist after artists come up. I swear it had to be twenty Almost as she introduced that came out John Batiste among them, why Cliff Jean. They were doing a tribute to Dangelo, and then ROBERTA. Flack and I no doubt the biggest hypest party moment was when y Clef came through the crowd with his guitar and they finally did Killing the Soft It was amazing and the whole crowd is singing, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: It was, it was, it was so that was probably, Yeah, those were my favorite moments. Lola Young, Lauren hill Worth the watch and you know, live television is always fun to follow along with because you can't edit it out. It just is what it is. And hey, it's not easy putting on a live show like that. And Trevor Nolwah did the best he could because that is messy and it was all on him to steer the ship when it got into some rough waters and he did a good job.
Speaker 1: Uh did a good job. I hope he's indemnified in that contract he's signed with CBS because President apparently is coming after him. We always appreciate you spending some time with If you didn't watch the Grammys, hope this got you caught up enough. But it was a cool show. We'll see what the ratings are, but for now, as always, appreciate you listening to us. I'm TJ. Holmes on behalf of my dear Amy Robot. We will talk to you soon