Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this special Monday week Trends edition for Monday, July seventeenth.
Speaker 2: Of ur days.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'm Jack. That is Miles Yeah, and hey Miles, how are you doing? These are some of the things that we're trying to go over the weekend. Oh wow, we what was trending on your weekend?
Speaker 2: Oh wow? My weekend action packed? I must say. I hung out with Francesca Fiorentini and Matt Leeb and their baby, you know, doing like baby friend time type stuff, which is nice. Shot out Matt and Francesca. Uh and then dude, on fucking Saturday, I went to the Hollywood Bowl to see I found like, I found these cheap seats like out of nowhere, like on like one of those apps or whatever. So I don't know, like her magic, I'm like, yo, what if we hit this like concert? Because my mom was down to babysit. We saw cool in the gang in the village people, and I'm changed for I don't know what. I don't know. I don't know what happened to me, but I will get into that as we discuss over it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, uh, Francesca's babies in age.
Speaker 2: That baby's like three months just like about three months different, three to four months different.
Speaker 1: That totally determines like, yeah, we we have a neighbor whose kids are like kind of the same age as ours, and we're yeah, well we're friends for the next.
Speaker 2: Six because like, you know, I fuck with Matt and Francesca and like I do their podcast and stuff. But you know, like podcasting, like yeah, you're stuck with the no no, not even like that, it's just like the evolution no, but more, I think more for like the listener's sake, because a lot of times, like we record with people, but that doesn't necessarily mean like these are the people I hang out, Like I fuck with all these people, but like I have my own like group of friends who like aren't you know, notable by any starch of the imagination, But like I don't hang out with a lot of the people like that that we talk to all the time. So it was just kind of like a nice progression to be like, you have baby same age, I have baby, same age. Let's aim them at each other like herbies and see what happens, and like they get along great.
Speaker 1: Amazing, and I hang out with no one, so uh, for the listener, I think that's pretty clear.
Speaker 2: To and and I banging on Jack's doors, We're like, like that are meme at the White House?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right? Should we get in a little overrated? Underrated? Yeah? Yeah, yeah? What do you want to start with? You want to go over?
Speaker 2: What do we usually do over?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel like let's start with underrated. It gives us a little little nice kind of soft way soft landing. I'll go first.
Speaker 2: Underrated white denim jeans on grown men.
Speaker 1: Wildly underrated. And I've been saying this, I've been seen so again.
Speaker 2: This a lot of my shit has to do it with the ship I saw at the Hollywood Bowl, because look, it was a lot of smooth, older players coming out for the cool in the gang show. And let me tell you, oh yeah, like older black men love a white pant, especially with some with some bejewels on. Like everybody on stage had white bejeweled pants on. There were some dudes of all kinds of uh, you know, ethnicities and backgrounds. There was like this weird thing where I was really trying to determine, is there is there an age where when you wearing white denim pants it just looks like you're fucking around, like you can't be taken seriously, right, I don't know why there were some people I'm like, I don't know, sir. It feels like a bridge too far with the for for your look right now, just throwing the white pants on with it, like skinny white jeans, skinny white jeans. I think it reminds me that that fucking I think you should leave sketch of the guy who was talking about like idy bitty jeans like white jeans, yeah, exactly, yeah, oh yeah, that slick back real nice.
Speaker 1: I saw that the bottom half of his saying, oh man, oh you would those would fit into some nice, itty bitty white jeans.
Speaker 2: Like I'm sure you got some white jeans.
Speaker 1: Right, I got white jeans. Yeah, I haven't worn them in a while, but they're definitely not like skinny jeans.
Speaker 2: Right, But do you think they'll come a time where you go, you know, it's time to hang the white jeans up.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I don't know, Like, I don't think of them as particularly like young clothing. I think of like white. Yeah, I don't know what when Grandma was wearing like the when I think of old people and white pants, Like my grandma was wearing flowy white pants. Oh yeah, into her.
Speaker 2: I think of like those like pleated polyester white pants that like, yeah, grand grandmothers everywhere would wear, right, But like because I remember, like my grandfather had like white jeans, but they were like dirt, like they weren't like pristine. But I don't know, I think it was something about seeing I think there was a moment where some of these people, like it was their white jeans along with their very like like it almost looked like some of these dudes in their seventies were like fliction.
Speaker 3: Remember affliction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there it was like a lot of like fifty to sixty something year old Yeah. When I think, like, who never let go of be a fliction?
Speaker 2: I know, I think maybe somebody's like, yo, this shit was popping twenty years ago when I you know, when my ex wife bought me some young people clothes, I was still wearing them now. Yeah, but anyway, rock what you want to. But I was just like the thing was the power of them. I could not be underrated. I'm like, like it was doing something to me, and it was clearly doing some of the people that were wearing them because they were they were energized.
Speaker 1: There you go, let's see my underrated I gotta call it. So I think I'm like gonna start living my life. You remember that Seinfeld episode where like Costanza just like does the opposite of whatever. Yeah, his instincts say, like, I think I need to start doing that because oh when there's like it's particularly with like with regards to like going out and doing stuff, I guess because like my instinct is always to not do anything right. And this weekend, we my my entire family, we hopped in the wagon went to a boxing match in Semi Valley because we like knew a couple of the people who were involved. And it was amazing. Like it wasn't like amazing, like I recommend everybody do this, but it was like a great experience of like it was a match set up outdoors in a mall parking lot. It was this weird, like surreal like carnival atmosphere. I don't know, it was just like a cool thing I never would have, like, you know, experienced if I was one calling the shots.
Speaker 2: Right right right and good good fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it was. It was I don't know, something was happening where all of the fights ended in draws, which I don't I don't know if that's totally on the up and up, Like draws seem to be pretty rare on the regular, so I don't know if, like theyre it was like unsanctioned, so they had to like pretend that they were all draws, so nobody like took a L. It was. It was a smoker, it was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a sanctioned fight.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like whenever people at gyms invite you to watch them fight, it's a smoker, right or an unsanctioned fight.
Speaker 1: It felt a little bit more sanctioned, a little bit more like on the up and up, but they did every one of them was a draw, so you know, everybody got a participation TRUP.
Speaker 2: It feels like, Yeah, that almost feels like a like an improv show when you do an improv class, But for like boxing, it's like, hey, you come, even if you take an L, the judges aren't going to say you took a L unless you get knocked the fuck out, in which case we can't really help you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like on the other side of like things, I took my kid on a like we do these little twilight walks, and we did a bird watching which I think I've always like instinctively rejected because I don't want to feel ninety years old. But we were just like we were just like, let's find five different birds. Let's see if we can see five different birds. I'm not going to like, we're not going to look up what the birds are. We're going to make up the names for the different birds. You know, like a thing that I would have been too embarrassed to tell you that I did typically, But I don't know, man going bird watching there's a reason the elderly or so into it because you just like start to like, first of all, you have to like listen to them. To find the different birds, you have to like listen for them. And then you're just like paying attention to different parts of your like surroundings, like different You're you're looking up into trees, You're looking up like you're just seeing different parts of like your neighborhood that you've walked through a hundred times, but you're like seeing it through new eyes when you do it. So I recommend a find five birds bird watching walk with a kid, But were you just being like, oh, there's a pigeon like that and that is a spare Oh we saw two hummingbirds. I was pretty excited about that. So we saw one that was just yellow that we some pretty places. But yeah, it was it was a blast. And then like we saw that same bird later in the week, so it gave us something to talk about. Oh okay, I see birds a lot. Yeah, just big dead energy.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a you should there's a spot like you'd go to, like when you're like a cub scout. I remember in La where like you see so many birds and ship. Yeah, like up and up near Pasadena.
Speaker 1: Anyway, there's a house hummingbird feeder in our neighborhood that is just swarming. It's just loud with those suckers. Those things are really cool. I mean, my real underrated for all time as hummingbirds, right, what uh? What's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Just to that point, when I'm high and I see a hummingbird, I try and get my slow motion video camera out so quick. Yeah, I have like eighteen videos of hummingbirds. Like he's still got and I'm like, oh my god, I can really see how fast it goes when you put the slow motion camera on.
Speaker 1: I'm so the worst videos on my phone are attempts at taking a video of a hummingbird and slow bush. Never catch them, never catch them. My kids are now like, get the camera out, go, let's do let's do slow motion. It's a tiny dot flying away all right. Overrated? You got an overrated overrated.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's overrated or under I saw the Village People, Okay, so I saw Cool in the Gang. Cool in the Gang are fucking amazing, you know, the seminal artists like the Cool you know, the original Cool who's on base now just legends and all their their whole catalog is fucking hits. That's what I was like, Okay, I know what I'm gonna get with Cool in the Gang. Especially when they did like a ten minute version of Summertime and everybody was just soloing, and I was like, oh, yes, please go, go go. But the Village People opened right, and I was like, this will be fun for like a laugh, you know, like what's up with the Village People like And in my mind, I'm like, okay, they got three songs Ymca, Macho Man in the Navy. That's like all I can say, like off top of like the songs that I really remember. Let me tell you something, I was not prepared for how bummed out I was going to be by seeing the Village People. First of all, like I forget really that the Village People was like one guy who actually did the singing, and then like animatronic dudes and costumes behind.
Speaker 1: Is that real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the Cowboy, the bikers, they.
Speaker 1: Don't say they were just like, yeah, they were just people that in costume. They were just in costume Disney characters.
Speaker 2: I also had no idea that like they were like a they were created basically by French producers. So I was like, okay, I didn't realize any like the background of it. But the main singer has been like the same guy, this dude, Victor Willis, and he came out he's seventy two years old, and God bless him. I thought he was going to pass out up there because like he would be like h navy like really like he would have to gather his like like breath to hit some of these notes. And then like the depictions of the people, they still got that Native American up there Wow, the wild like the most flagrant offensive, motherfucking costume. When they introduced the band, like the lead singer came out last. The first village person came out was a Native American. Wow. And I was like I was groaning. And then the other like older people who are there for like the vibes are like, oh yes, so I remember you, and then like everybody in the background. I don't know how the people are cast anymore because it's not they're not older, like they're all younger dudes.
Speaker 3: Like okay, Like it's like a hot cowboy now.
Speaker 2: Like the biker was so buff he couldn't dance, and it was like and he was fucking up the choreography. Like there's a part where in the Navy goes they want you, they want you, they want you, and they're so clue.
Speaker 3: There's like this clapping part.
Speaker 2: Right, this could not do the clapping and it was fucking him up so bad. I was like oh no, no, no, no no no. It felt like a Darren Aronofsky movie basically, where I was like, what is happening after the lights go down and they take those costumes off?
Speaker 3: Who are these people?
Speaker 1: Right? So it's Native American cop, cowboy, cowboy and construction Yeah, cowboys always been there, biker construction worker? Is that the ya?
Speaker 2: And then a guy like in a military uniform, like an officer, and which was hilarious because that's dude. The dude who played the officer. He was like this older black guy who looked over it like he was like, man, I can't believe I'm still doing this shit here, like he his energy was like foul, but like he was still you know, it was still a gig. And there was a moment where he comes up to introduce the other village people while the lead singer took a rest, and the first words out of this dude who's about to do like he's like, I just want to introduce everybody, but before I do that, I just want to say I love you to my wife out there in the audience. I've been with her for twenty years. I was like, wow, this guy had to just underline his heterosexuality with like a fucking sharp Oh yeah, yeah he came first, and he's like, yeah, so I'm married to a woman, but anyway, I'm I'm a soldier.
Speaker 3: Let's give a shout out.
Speaker 2: To our biker and everything. But Yeah. It's wild though to see Ymcie go off live and then like even Cool in the game.
Speaker 1: Ymcie go off live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like but to see like the village people do YMCA and Cool in the Gang do celebration, you feel like you're on like the most potent cruise ship performance ever because I was like, but it's the real people doing it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was exciting that, like there is some weird conservative code, like the fact that there's still a cop, the fact that there's like a military officer. I don't know if that was just if that was ironic in the seventies or what was happening.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, it's like a nod to like Greenwich Village and like the gay neighborhood there, and I think maybe just say like yo, like you know this, this is what everybody constructs.
Speaker 1: Everybody, everybody cowboy. My overrated is just smoke detector technology feels like not that I don't think we should use smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors, but I just feel like the tech industry has been iterating on smartphones for years. There's like a new like smartphone with the minor feature upgrade that like gets announced, like why do smoke detectors still have one button? And like we got woken up at five this morning by like three shrill blasts from our smoke detector, went up, checked it. That was not one of the options, right, you know, it was like, uh, you know, four blasts carbon monoxide problem, three blasts, Uh, nothing, that's not on there, and like persistent beeping it's.
Speaker 3: A fire, get out of the house.
Speaker 1: It just it feels like we've been working with the same smoke detectors since I was a child. Yeah, and it's it's the means of communication is still like morse code.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, just shrieky beeps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shrieky beeps.
Speaker 2: And which is weird too because we see how how used to the low battery beep Americans get used to. Myself included when I was in college, I remember like one of my first apartments, I think I lived there for it took like a romantic interest to like point it out and be like really questioned me about it that I was like, oh, yeah, this is like I'm fucking up by not get it's.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of the most revealing things about like the human mind is that our ability to get used to smoke detector beeps, because like somebody who lives at the place, who's hearing it all day every day, it just does not exist for them. We can get used to everything.
Speaker 2: I remember I noticed once when it stopped beeping, like wait, what the fuck? And I was like, oh shit, the battery really went out, Like I feel I can't even do.
Speaker 3: The death beep. Yeah, please somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, like in Europe, I think it's they're they're required in most countries. I wonder if there's like, are other countries doing it better?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know, is it why why have we just stopped with this one model? Maybe maybe maybe they've looked into it and they're like, no, this is this is the best one. But I think there's also like something with like radiation in there. So maybe maybe it's just you don't want to fuck with it too much. Oh yeah, okay, I know special disposal that you're supposed to do when your your smoke detector is done.
Speaker 2: In Espanya, they're not obligated to have one legally.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah damn, we'll look at that. Yeah, they're they're more.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know. I mean, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: Is there I don't.
Speaker 2: If I'm like, what is most futuristic way it's to solve a fire issue, and it's probably just have like automatic sprinklers if you didn't want to.
Speaker 1: Have to keep a canary in every room in your house.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, canary in every room.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and get into some of the news from the weekend. We'll be right back, and we're back, and we got some election updates for you folks.
Speaker 2: A lot happening or not happening of consequence, I guess. But uh, let's see, we'll talk about Ron the Santist, Joe Mansion RFK. Let's talk about Ron Ron the meatball rode.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: So he is switching things up early in his campaign because after an out like those Fox News appearances, and they don't and they don't stop either. They're like, wow, like, why is it that you're fucking up so bad? Like those appearances have not ceased. But yeah, ever since he announced in May, the whole candidacy has just been a long, slow fart, which is, like, I guess, noticeable because it's long and slow, but again not much to talk about because it is a fart at the end of the day. Uh, numbers that people will get used to, you know, yeah exactly, like like a smoke detective.
Speaker 1: Farts every minute on the minute. That's what I That's how I've found to deal with my flash. Once people just you know get used to it, it becomes their back. They set their watch, they set their watch to the farts. But poll numbers have been falling.
Speaker 2: The donations have been drying up a bit from the big fish apparently, like the biggest hole. Like when you look at his fundraising and it shows like where the energy is. He has barely any small dollar donations, Like it's it's like the thousands of dollars and up because uh, those people are currently getting their money stolen by Donald Trump, who has a strangle.
Speaker 3: Like his average is.
Speaker 2: Like thirty three dollars Trump's so he's got from yeah, yeah, like that's like the Yeah, our.
Speaker 1: Theory is that like he's always been kind of a mainstream media are like my theories that he's always been a mainstream media creation. That is, like they they liked the idea of this, they needed somebody to be like what if Trump but smart, but like he's just not very popular with yeah, with like he doesn't have the you know, support on the ground, he doesn't have the boots he's.
Speaker 2: And he's doubling down like the culture warship that's like really putting a lot of people off because Rupert Murdoch of Fox was famously like really into the idea of getting DeSantis in there instead of true And.
Speaker 1: Now they're going to turn on him because they've they've officially given up and they're like, yeah, he's like your meatball.
Speaker 2: Rob. I'm sorry, dude, you're also like destroying your own state, like to spite people outside of the state, which makes no sense. Like for all the records that he talts of, like yeah, Florida is the fastest growing, it's like it's actually shedding the most people of any state, especially when he look at younger people. But now apparently Murdoch wants Glenn Younkin, the governor from Virginia, to maybe take a stab at it. Okay, So anyway this has led to meet pau Rob. He's cutting staff, he's changing up his media strategy, which I guess means he's expanding his outreach beyond like the right wing echo chamber. He's talking to CNN now, so well, I'm sure those appearances will be real fucking interesting when he goes on a like slightly less right wing network where a journalist might ask a question.
Speaker 1: So I mean they yeah, I mean, it's always made sense that he would like kind of temper all the right far right wing shit and like try and be the like leftward tacking candidate. So maybe that is what he's gonna do when he like goes on CNN. But I can't imagine like CNN is gonna just not ask him questions about all the or that fucking fun video shit he's doing.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be like, sir, what's up with that video.
Speaker 1: Happen there?
Speaker 2: Because now like you're seeing like there's like some dark money group spending money to advertise Trump as a trans trailblazer. Oh wow, And I'm like that sounds like a hit from the right that I've seen from the DeSantis crew, and you know, it doesn't seem to be getting you any kind of traction. Thank god.
Speaker 1: Turns out people don't give that much of a shit about that.
Speaker 2: That's just right. Yeah, yeah, Joe Manchin not much to say here, but he is making candidate type noises and he's going to be in New Hampshire tonight Monday, where he's said to address members of the No Labels organization. Oh that has just made up of establishment hacks from both parties, but they're clearly there to represent the interests of like some very wealthy people. And they say they keep doing this thing. We're like, we're not going to be a spoiler. We would never do that. That's what we're trying to do. If the pole, like we just see that both parties are really dissatisfied with the options they have going into November twenty twenty four, and look, if the pole shows that our candidacies or one of our candidates or our candidate is going to split the vote for either party, we're going to refrain. We're going to pull out. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: So what I mean that seems to be them saying, like the whole reason for us, like our any power that we have, if we find ourselves wielding that power in any way, we will completely pull out. So they are, you know, not being totally honest. I think the No Lebel organization, which is shocking coming from a party, Uh, you know, Joe Lieberman Boys for boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also like, this is my theory, is that what they're gonna do is probably just they're just going to try and get concessions from Democrats. They're not going to get it from Republicans. They're gonna just the only.
Speaker 3: People who are like, what about what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: It's the DNC. And if they see Joe Manchin getting any kind of numbers, especially in places that might be tough, you know, like like an Arizona or something like that, for then that's probably going to be a way to subtly be.
Speaker 3: Like, maybe you need to move to.
Speaker 2: The right a little bit more with some of these policies. But we'll see, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: And then we have RFK Junior who had a bad dinner. That dinner where the guy the two guys got into a shouting match and then one of them started farting, really farting, farting to like punctuate the argument well.
Speaker 3: About climate change.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, remember he got up said that the guy was being serious about climate change, and the one farting wanted climate change to.
Speaker 1: Be climate conspiracy hopes is what he wanted it addressed us, and he's now farting. So it turns out the fart based fight wasn't the worst moment that evening, because The New York Post published a video taken from the dinner in which Kennedy rants about ethnically targeted bio weapons, suggesting that COVID nineteen is targeted to attack Caucasians and black people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean here, let's we should just want this video, Like, luckily we have a human being sitting right next to RFK where we can gauge his facial reactions to just see if he's lost the room at all with this rant about bioweapons. Here, it's not bioweapons.
Speaker 4: I know a lot now about bioweapons because I'm doing a book on it for the past two and a half. Gears and uh and you know what, we the technology that we now have, all of these microbes we have, we have put hundreds of millions dollars into ethnically targeted microbes the Chinese.
Speaker 1: I'm the same thing.
Speaker 4: In fact, COVID nineteen, there's an argument that it is ethnically targeted. COVID nineteen attacked certain races.
Speaker 2: I'm disproportionally Dude, this guy is left in the now. He's now in his squinting eyes space. He first when he said ethnically targeted, he his eyes went up like huh. And now he's narrowing his eyes like the funk you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Willis the.
Speaker 4: Races that are most of you immune to come in maintain are because of the structure a few of the genetic structure genetic differentials among different races.
Speaker 5: Of the of the receptors struggling is he does he compan is targeted to attack Caucasians and and and.
Speaker 3: All black people.
Speaker 4: The people who are most men are a Jews and and Chinese and but you don't know what the plau.
Speaker 2: Okay, so COVID was targeting, like is apparently the people immune to COVID or Ashkenazi Jews and the Chinese.
Speaker 3: Oh that's means to me, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: So that's what Wow, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think a lot of people have been writing they're like for all the conspiracy theories that this man dabbles in, were like people were really surprised, like when does when does anti Semitism come up? Because that's like that's the foundation of so many conspiracy theories like they always bend towards they always go back to anti semitary. You may leave the station, it's like a loop, you know, like you made the anti anti semitism station, may have been behind you, but when you come back around, you're going to hit that one eventually.
Speaker 1: And a big tour around the conspiracy theories where you're telling people I don't have an anti Semitic bone in my body.
Speaker 2: And then you're saying that the Chinese and the Jews are immune to COVID nineteen. Yeah, notice that, oh whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, And he's like pointy. So then now people rightfully are like, what in the fuck are.
Speaker 1: You talking about?
Speaker 2: Because like many people, I'll tell you, uh, you know, as far as we know, documented a million Chinese people have died of COVID. I'm not sure where that immunity comes from it or what he's referring to.
Speaker 3: But he's like, they got it all wrong. You guys are misconstruing my words.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He later defended his comments and said, like, I've never ever suggested that COVID nineteen virus was targeted to spare Jews. I mean, we just heard what he said, like I don't know if he knew he did that, but that I don't know if he planned to do that, but that's certainly what came out of his mouth. He also like does the thing like he seems to be talking with his eyes closed a lot of the time, like he's just like looking for the words inside him. Yea too, And it's I don't know, I don't think he's a serious presidential candidate, Miles. After seeing this video, I'm starting to have my doubts.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I agree with him on a couple things, so I'm gonna I'm gonna put these other heinous statements out of them.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, do your own research, do your own research.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like that that whole defense what he like just doubles down because he's like, it's actually more groups. There's also ethnic fins that are also immune.
Speaker 1: Like, what the hell are you saying he exploited this off the record conversation to smear me by association? Oh so it was off the record, So this is just how you talk when you don't think the media is paying attention. So that makes it better or that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Tell, I mean, what's off the truth about.
Speaker 1: What your what your ultimate goal is here.
Speaker 3: You're a you're at a fundraising. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: You remember how people were saying, like too, like while the whole fart thing was going on, like I was just really calm and just kind of like laid back. Yeah, Like I wonder if that's just him, Like he he does have this like sort of reclined let me close my eyes, Mike Pen's kind of thing going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, where he's just disassociating from the world around him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and absolutely, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey we we we all do what we can to disassociate from the world around us. But this, uh, closing your eyes and then spouting anti semitic Uh.
Speaker 2: This whole thing is just like he's I'm just saying. It's just saying that I saw a report that there is such a thing as a targeted bio weapon, right, Okay, And then that's so ipso facto.
Speaker 1: The juice are immune to COVID like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: But there he is. Cheryl Hines is come get your man's.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take one more break and we'll be right back. And we're back. And I mean, the big story over the weekend was heat waves completely fucking up the United States over the last week, continuing to continue to fuck up the entire globe.
Speaker 2: Yeah everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Miles, you were pointing out something that is a really good point. The pictures that they show with this devastation look a lot. They look fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I so like over the I remember even last summer, and like just the lead up to this summer, there are a lot of things where it's like tips on how to beat the heat. Like there's stuff like that that I mean, like here's how like the people that live in Madrid deal with their sweltering summers, and it's just like basically being like, yeah, don't go outside when it's fucking hot. Yeah, just you know, be careful with yourself. Like then when it gets a little bit cooler, then maybe do some outdoors ship but your body can't really handle it. And then like you saw like engineers talking about how to make like your fans work more efficiently or blow cooler air, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And it was weird.
Speaker 2: Because the thing grumbling like beneath the surface of all this stuff is the climate is changing and we're expecting the highest temperatures we've ever seen ever, and Molly Taffed at The New Republic pointed out something that like I also failed to connect, like of like around all this like sort of like fun sort of energy around these heat waves is like, yeah, the news is absolutely like ill equipped to talk about this. Like when there are fires or storms, we see this intense imagery of shit burning and fucking flooding and like all this catastrophic shit that they love to broadcast because that's you know, it's the sensational aspect of broadcast news. But then when you when it comes to heat waves, all you see is shit like people at the beach or like kids playing with hoses, like open fire hydrants, like fun shit rather than like shit slick shit, you know what I mean. That's when you come here during a climate crisis, well, I'll post other things that'll distract you, Like.
Speaker 1: I mean, just for context, extreme heat is the deadliest weather related event in the United States. It kills more people than tornadoes or hurricanes come right. Federal agencies report about seven hundred Americans die each year from extreme heat, but some studies estimate that figure could be closer to one thy three hundred deaths a year. Hell yeah, because you know it's knocking out power grids. It's you know, and.
Speaker 2: What like what it does to your body if you like go into like a you know, like get heat stroke or something like that. So you know, the the the energy is very it does not match what the situation is because rather than you know, depicting accurately depicting the situation where like the poor, immunal, compromised, elderly and like workers are like living in this like fucked up world, like to just show like, yeah, people are staying cool at the.
Speaker 1: All the if all the pictures from like tornado or hurricane hurricanes were of people like in shelters, like like fun stuff to do in your basement. Yeah, fun like playing bingo with their grandparents in the basement.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like, what about what's happening outside there? Oh it's all fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's bad out there. It's really bad. But yeah, because it's like not that photo photographable, like the devastation is not there.
Speaker 2: Because it's so it's not again, because otherwise you'd have to really like reckon with that and do a story about like elderly people who their fucking power goes out and they're left to die essentially, uh, and they don't want to do that, so it's like we completely do this other thing. Media Matters did an analysis of like just the coverage of the heat wave in Texas earlier in the month. Only five percent of national TV news segments even uttered the words climate change. Right, it's just like, oh, wow, it's gonna be a really hot summer. I guess, like, what are what the fuck are we doing? And there's clearly a relationship between like our own inability as human beings and like society to like have a reckoning with our ecological situation and the media's. But like we're also kind of getting another example of like how insulated those rooms are. Like I guess like literally at this point too, that they're living in a world where the answer to record breaking heat is probably more like, I don't know, hit the beach or just turn the AC on, rather than like there are people who cannot do that, there are people who cannot afford to do that, There are people who are not even being considered when all of this shit is happening. So yeah, a little bit of a grim aspect to like everything we were seeing over the weekend.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, well that there's also the Death Valley tourists. Did you see, Like that was a big set, like how they chose to do it, because like if you if you want to show the danger, you have to show like idiots walking into the danger willingly. So it became like a a thing that people were seeking out. I don't I don't know how widespread this is. This could be like a dozen Instagram and no people people I know, people.
Speaker 2: Who come from like Japan and are like I really want to go to Death Valley just to feel I think just it's the hardually because like they want to see because there are some cool stuff to see there, like you're in a photography, but also it is like part of it. It's like it really gets that hot there. I think a lot of people just it's we have that morbid fascination on some level. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So one thing the media does do they do always call the heat waves punishing, So yeah, at least they let us know we are being biblically punished for our bad behavior.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, sorry God, sorry God, sorry.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's become a tourist hotspot with people who are like going there and trying to take a picture in front of the thermometer as it records the apocalypse Likes, there's I guess the record. The world record for like the hottest point in the history of the planet is in Death Valley. It was measured in nineteen thirteen at one hundred and thirty four degrees. But then people, the real heads are like, that guy.
Speaker 3: Was making it up.
Speaker 1: That wasn't a real webn't a real hottest point in the history of the earth, wet brain, if you know what I mean, you knew, And yeah, So a lot of people believe that the weather observer at that time fudged the numbers because you know, TV didn't exist and there was nothing else to do for fun, right right right, But it Yeah, in terms of reliably measured temperatures, the record is one hundred and thirty degrees, also set in Death Valley in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one. Also there's a picture of an influencer taking a selfie in front of one that says one hundred and thirty one degrees fahrenheit. So I don't know if that thermometer is not accurate or what.
Speaker 2: That must be. Also, like that's I get, like the like you want to flick it up and demonstrate they're in the hottest place on earth. I've I remember when I used to do like production. I shot a music video and Death Valley that wasn't even like the summer yet, it was like like May, And I remember opening the door like at two p like you know when you can touch the windows and like the windows are fucking hot.
Speaker 1: Shit, yeah, it's like an oven door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I'm like almost burned my elbow on the fucking window. And I remember I opened the door and how oppressive the heat was. The last thing I want to do is go fucking take a picture. I was like so overwhelmed. It was punishing, like to being someone that's like one hundred and one hundred and fifteen plustic. No no, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the uh someone dying a real tall thermometer there too?
Speaker 2: Or did that go? Oh there's one on the drive to uh to Vegas? Okay, yeah that's in Baker ba Yeah yeah, yeah, Baker Baker has the big giant one. But yeah, the I think someone died last week in Death Valley, Oh yeah, because a tourist was trying to take a picture and they were just found in their fucking car. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's so dangerous, Like it will kill you so quickly. Temperatures at that level, Like the human body like is not meant to exist at temperatures that high without immediate relief. Yeah, so like you're really putting yourself in danger by going out there. Yeah, sixty five your car is ability to like function in danger. Like cars aren't built to drive those temperatures because they haven't existed on Earth throughout the course of the history of the planets.
Speaker 2: And you're not like unless like a vulcanologist like designed it to be, like I build all these heat shields around it so like it can still function. It's bad. But yeah, this a man who's sixty five years old San Diego guy was found just apparently, you know, from dead from heat exposure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it is a very common way to go. It's very dangerous. Hopefully you know nobody is going out there and trying to flick it up. You can photoshop yourself into that.
Speaker 2: Picture if you want. Yeah, like I'll do it for you. Yeah, and we can make it say anything. We say three thousand degrees if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A couple follow ups a spartan may continues to be the sphinx riddle of our time. I think we talked on an episode last week about how there was this new World Health Organization study that seemed to like cut in two different directions. There was like one that was saying, you know, it could be linked to it is not a major concern at the doses which are commonly used, and they really focused on like the fact that if you are talking about drinking twelve diet cokes a day every day, like that could talk to us that could be bad. But then there was also another one that just like another World Health Organization linked agency that came out and said it was possibly carcinogenic. So I don't know. This just continues to be the sphinx riddle of our time because it's there there is no objective truth. I'm like, well, let's get below all the level layers of objective truth. But like all the studies are either funded by like I'm sure Big Sugar or Right or the or you know, the companies that are off of Aspartame. My wife and I have like a rolling conversation about aspartain because like, I still enjoy the occasional diet coke with the occasional you know, three diet coke day sprinkled in when I'm feeling particularly you know, little yeah, little zany. It's like that's usually what I drink. When we're like out and other people are drinking, I'll have a diet coke, but or pepsi dear God, oh god, Vegas. When we're in Vegas, so many diet pepsis, which di pepsi doesn't have aspartain. But wait it doesn't, but pepsi zero sugar does, which is that I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're so afflicted of these zero calorie drinks that like it's like there's seven kinds based on like how much caffeine or which chemicals you'd like or not, like to ingest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she thinks I should drink it never, which you know what I shouldn't. And she thinks I should listen to her because she's a.
Speaker 2: Doctor who specializes in carcinogenic sweets. Wait, but what's your counter to that? Like you're like, well, what should I be? You want to just drink straight up high fructose corncon so good?
Speaker 1: Is my count under?
Speaker 3: It just tastes so good?
Speaker 1: No, I think it's a So I was going off of you know that when when you look at the aspertame studies from like that really caused the backlash in like the eighties and nineties. It was based on giving the lab rats and the mice that they tested on just you know what would be the equivalent of so much you know, more aspartame than anyone is going to consume that I that I am like in danger of consuming, which seems to be. So that was why I was like, Haha, we we have a breakthrough on this one, because that seems to be the logic of you know, the agency that was like it's actually like you're you're probably fine, was like you would need to drink a twelve pack of diet coke every single day for the rest of your life for this to become the thing that they're talking about when they say it's a possible carcinogen. But the way the media has seemed to take those two studies is like there's a Vox story from over the weekend. I was will diet soda, yogurt, and cereal disappear from stores? And I can't tell if that's like big sugar, if that's like the anxiety media bias we talked about on last week's Tuesday episode. Or if those stories are right and it's a carcinogen, and why would you even fuck with it? And you know I'm just biased because I like to drink taste good. Yeah. Yeah, So I don't know. I don't think I'll ever getting to the bottom of this.
Speaker 2: If anybody has just get what the time to start doing cocaine like the rest of the planet, I know, for the rest of us, what the fuck like the next set, it's like, actually cocaine missed. It's actually better than a spar to.
Speaker 1: Me, it's actually pretty cool, pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's put it in your uh, put in your DC. But yeah, I I I get it. Uh for those of us that have like a little treat that we like to indulge in, you know, sometimes it could be hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, just I guess don't drink twelve die cokes a day, uh every day, I think, is my takeaway, which I wasn't playing.
Speaker 2: You know someone's you know, someone's doing that out there though, too, you know what I mean. H likeuse I seen dude, I used to I used to kick it with this one dude. This English dude who would keep a two liter bottle of coke next to his bed, Yeah, and like pound that shit through the night and like that all day. Like always had like that thang on him, and that thang was a two liter bottle of coke. I was like, this is so wild.
Speaker 1: Uh, like the double gulps, those like massive things they see in seven eleven's or like truckers kind of dry, like the things that are like the size of you know, you could keep a full aquarium alive inside of them. Those are fifty ounces, so you would have to drink two of those and then an additional twenty ounces of diet coke every day.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, that's yeah, that's too much. Yeah, never mind, I'm just gonna drink water. Nah, drink lobbies.
Speaker 3: Come on people, Yeah, where is the anti water lobby?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I guess it's just thoring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like big big agriculture technically, because they're like just just let us have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And finally, Mickey Mouse is a scab full fucking new that scab.
Speaker 2: Fucking scab.
Speaker 1: So Oppenheimer's Red Carbon event and New York was canseled. Once SAG joined the WGA in striking and We're going to talk about that a little bit more on tomorrow's episode. But Disney decided to go full steam ahead with their lavish premiere for the Haunted Mansion. And since SAG strike deadlines or guidelines prohibit promotional activity, including premiers, none of the film stars could show up. So Tiffany Haddish, Lacky Stanfield, Danny DeVito, none of them can show up, but Mickey Mouse could go with Disney and Disney cast members, as they like to call them, are not actual cast members. They are employees of Disney, and so they're not SAG and so they just rounded up there, you know, the people that you would normally see at Disney World in.
Speaker 2: Disneyland, dystopian nightmare, Like yeah, the way that Variety was trying to seriously act like this was normal, they're like genius. The tweet, the fictional character Kuela de Ville has arrived at the hashtag Haunted Mansion premiere in Disneyland. Kruela is walking the red carpet and like opening her jacket as if she's been like and who are you wearing tonight? Kind of thing, and it's like this person who's just been like, man, I had to pull another shift just to.
Speaker 1: And she said, I didn't catch their names before I skinned them. Who am I wearing? That's a one Damatians joke?
Speaker 2: Is that from? Is that from the movie?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, you just should be you embodied? You used Ai to write that your voice of brain AI And then like Mickey and Minnie were were in like Victorian Garb, like the fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very strange. I do think that this is probably like good for the writers and the strikers because now they can use an iconic character as the face of scabbing. Yeah so yeah, but like people think it might backfire on them for that reason, like a variety like clearly was hearing from Bob Iger and Bye Bigers people because they fully framed it up like this was a master stroke.
Speaker 2: It was not a l.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a big l sorry folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, coming off the heels of Bob Igers like dickish comments about the strike at the end of last week.
Speaker 2: It's not realistic that they want more money.
Speaker 3: It's not realistic.
Speaker 1: They're just being unrealistic. It's a bad time for me. And he's like coming from like a mansion in Sun Valley or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sun Valley interesting pick.
Speaker 1: Isn't that where it is in Idaho? Oh?
Speaker 2: I thought there's a spot in the valley called Sun Valley, And I was like, bro, that I don't know about. So I don't know about that Sun Valley.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense. So yeah and Idaho, Oh yeah, they really are.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I didn't realize that was the spot all the billionaires are going to right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're hanging out of Sun Valley. Uh, hell, hidden Valley ranch. That's as much as I like, I'm that aware of what Sun Valley is. I think it might be because wasn't that picture, like the Kristen Bell picture with all the famous like Friends cast members hanging out together. Wasn't that in Idaho? It was? It was like in the Great West, right, like in that in that area that seems to be where they've retreated. Wow.
Speaker 2: Also, this is another little tidbit coming from that, because like all these billionaires are getting together in Sun Valley and what they call like summer camp for billionaires. Warren Buffett's wife, Astrid Buffett, was heard quote complaining about the price of a cup of coffee at four dollars. Wow, I mean they're right, I mean yeah, they live. I've driven by his house in Omaha. It's like it looks like some shit you'd see a Hancock park, Like it's not like a fucking palatial estate or anything. And he like, I think he eats McDonald's breakfast all the day all the time, while he just hoards all his ungodly amounts of Well, so please be okay with this billionaire because he is cheaper than most, even though he has the same amount of money and doing the same kind of destruction. But apparently she said she could get a pound of coffee for that.
Speaker 1: Much money somewhere there you go, especially if you go right to the source and just fly down on your PJ. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, look at them as a couple, Like their outfits are not screaming money, not even stelp wealth, you know what I mean. Like this is just motherfucker wearing dockers and shit, and she got like cargo pants on from two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: But they still go to the summer camp for billionaires.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I wonder if like people just make fun of them because they're just like I wonder what their outlook is. They're like, oh my god, they dressed so gaudy. I just want a cotton T shirt and some khakis.
Speaker 1: It's all simple things that'd be great if he were because like whoa, what he is wearing is actually like the rich guy thing to like be unassuming. Like if he wore like really gaudy, like huge labels, like a giant like Chanel logo on his like T shirt or something like print, that would be the way to like really upset the your fellow campers at camp. Oh.
Speaker 2: Also like if you want to just get torn down by like youth Twitter, some billionaire pulling up and some like real fucking designer garbs. Oh anyway, Yeah, all right, the Wizard of Omaha. Just keep it simple, man, stay in the shadows, bro.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole less episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccines, stay cool, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Fight