Speaker 1: Welcome to tech stuff. I'm os Vloschen. Every year we spend billions of dollars asking real humans for their opinions to predict how groups of people behave On a larger scale, surveys are the foundation of political strategy, marketing, and produge innovation. So what happens when you stop asking humans what they think and start simulating their responses? Today I'm joined by cam Think and Ned Coo, the founders of Aru. At the ages of twenty and twenty one, they've built a billion dollar simulation engine that uses thousands of AI powered digital twins to deliver behavioral predictions for everyone from Ernst and Young to Spindriff, Cam Ned, Welcome to text stuff.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having us having us.
Speaker 1: Thanks you very very excited. Tell me about the name. How did you choose it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, Uru is the place in Egyptian mythology where all the worlds meet, and given we simulate human behavior, we simulate all these worlds. It makes a lot of sense. But it's also the oldest trick in the book. So you know, Auru starts at two a's at the top the top of every alphabetical list.
Speaker 3: The Yellow Pages trick you know, triple A plumbing, all those sorts of things. You look at any of our investors' websites and you see us and then Airbnb, which we think is the proper order. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: That's very very good, Am I right in thinking, or at least is Wikipedia right in thinking that to get into Uru, that your heart has to be weighed? That is true, That is true. Are you in the business of weighing hots?
Speaker 2: I think by so, I think by technicality, really is Uru is the place that describes the field of reads, right.
Speaker 1: So we are just kind of a heaven, shall we say, an ancient Egypt?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactlytopia almost.
Speaker 2: This is, by the way, this is why r dot com our domain cost us so much, because I only learned afterwards that anything that has anything to do with heaven, like any domain, like our fortune, because it's really easy to bring something that's being positive. But we are not in the business of waite arts. I don't know if that would be as important for the global economy.
Speaker 1: So, because I was thinking, in a sense, you are definitely not judging people, but in a sense you are. You're looking into the digital arts, or at least trying to distill how real people might behave from people you've simulated.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's a it's interesting, and we like things that are thematic and actually mean things. I think there's a lot of tech companies nowadays that have names that don't really don't really mean much.
Speaker 1: So all the ones around Tolkien were taking.
Speaker 3: Exactly and the ones from Dune and the ones from Lord of the Rings, and it's, ah, well, there we go to mythology. You know, you gotta pull one.
Speaker 1: I want to sort of get to how aru actually works. But I saw the article about you two in the Wall Street Journal or you three, actually your third co founder is not here, and you know, basically the teenage teenage founders of a billion dollar company. And I thought it was a very fascinating and cool story. And I'm a huge tennis and it's been kind of interesting for me to observe how Djokovic, Nadal and Federer cast this long, fifteen year shadow over the game of tennis where the kind of next gen couldn't emerge. And it wasn't until Nadal and Federer left the scene and Djokovic started to age that Ciner and.
Speaker 3: Al Karaz emerged, you know, a lot of people say, Cameron looks like by the way, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, you know, it's somewhat of a parallel with the tech industry. Right before the twenty twenty three chat GPT moment and the diffusion of llms, basically, most people with strong technical skills would go and work in corporate jobs at like Facebook and Google and Amazon. Yeah, and then something changed, and you and the censor at the vanguard of that something that changed.
Speaker 2: I think what happened is, for like a really long time, you had people who were very technical getting paid a lot of money to work, largely like kushy jobs. Right right now, we have this perception of Silicon Valley nine ninety.
Speaker 1: Six, like all this stuff, correct engineers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't that way for the longest time. I mean, if you go back, like even five years in history to twenty twenty one, Silicon Valley was where people drank beer during the work day and played ping pong, you know, at four o'clock in the afternoon. It isn't like that anymore, because I think what happened is people got actually attracted to the idea of hard work. Right It's like this backlash against what was once a work culture of like go work ten hours twenty hours a week of productive time and then not spend the rest of your time doing as many productive things. People want to work hard, and I think that changed.
Speaker 3: I mean, with a barrier entry to building a business being so so much lower, so many things has changed, right. I don't think it's just young people being able to do it. I think it's also the people who are at the top of the fields also have changed a lot. Like something Cameron and I discuss a substantial amount is you know, where is this generation's you know, Steve jobs or those sorts of areas. And it's actually part of our thesis around this space is that people have and had to rally around a singular lumin area as much because capital has been so much more accessible. Right, So it's not just as part of language models. I think it's a state of the you know, overall economy and things that have changed that have allowed it to happen. But it's very interesting. Nonetheless, Yeah, it is interesting.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's like a stylistic thing that your generation want to work hard or do you think it's an opportunity thing that like if you work hard, you can be net and Cam and get a big Unicorn founders before you're twenty one.
Speaker 2: I actually think it's I think it's a bifurcation, right, Like I think you have a population of people who work really hard, and that might be like the top death style. But what just happened is like the distribution of how hard people work has widened so much, so like just as much as in my high school class, there are a bunch of kids who, like maybe ten fifteen kids who worked extremely hard orderly. You know, I was not in the top performing in my high school class. Actually proud to announce that I was thirty third rank out of one hundred and eight.
Speaker 1: You were high school together, what were you?
Speaker 3: Probably much lower. It's very difficult for me to focus on things I don't care about, so you know, it's.
Speaker 2: But you had like ten to fifteen, maybe twenty kids who would like go study six hours and they would be totally happy to do that, and on the contra, like the next eighty kids just did not want to put all the work in. And I think you see that consistently where it's like there's this really high visibility group of people who work a lot, but remember, there are tons of software engineers at legacy businesses who don't work as much as like the high visibility group of people. That is like a very small small group of people in comparison to like broader software engineering is a category.
Speaker 1: How do you think about your paid group? I mean, do you know the other twenty eighth year old Unicorn founders? Do you associate with them?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 1: I mean you're in New York and most are in San Francisco, which is a difference, right, Like, what's your reflection on the culture that's emerging around around that? I love the idea of Steve Jobs no longer being a cultural reference point because the structure of how capitalist deploy is different. That's really interesting. But how do you think about the group you know?
Speaker 2: I'm curious for Ninn's thoughts as well. I really really think the fact that more people know that is a pathway that is open to them is brilliant. I think that's incredible, right, like one hundred percent people should go do what they want. I do think some of the current environment has created people who are not in this because they're missionaries, but are instead in this industry because they're mercenaries and not to say that that is like the founders of other unicorns or other young people. But I just see a lot of people now who I think go to tech because not of a mission, not because they think it's like important philosophically important for the world, but instead because tech is like the next highest opportunity earning category, like finance was in the nineteen eighties. And I think shifting away from that is going to be interesting because the pendulum will always come back around.
Speaker 3: No, I agree entirely with that. I also think, to the same extent Cameron mentioned, you've also seen like the pliferation of so many different industries, not just tech, and people saying, oh, I can actually make a business. Ow's something I like, And it's become infinitely easier to monetize right as like a very small business across so many different channels, whether it's e commerce, whether that's you know, starting a tiny little brand and CpG or whatever may be. So I don't think it's a trend that's just in tech. I do think people are a lot more public about it, but it's been interesting to see. Nonetheless, I mean, we have friends that also dropped out of university to start schools and have had other companies that have been starting, you know, starting very very young, and I think there was this large sort of cultural shift. Cameron noted about, you know, silkon Valian, it's perception prior, it's now in some ways like sexy to be a tech founder. So I think you've a lot of people who whose hearts really aren't in it and these sorts of elements who are going after it. And you know, like anything in the world that you commit to not fully is things have repercussions.
Speaker 1: There's also an accessibility thing, right, Like your third co founder is not here. I think when you Will started you were nineteen, you were eighteen, and he was fifteen yep, which is kind of remarkable. But he reached out and basically said you were an accelerator program, can I get your advice? And then you left the call basically with him as a third co founders That might probably have a simplified but it.
Speaker 2: Was pretty close to that. He called them me on LinkedIn and he just said, I'm applying to this accelerator, can I have your advice on my application? I don't even check my LinkedIn dms that often. I certainly didn't when I was eighteen, I mean, you know what I've been doing on LinkedIn, And so we ended up scheduling a thirty minute zoom call. We spoke for two and a half hours, and I called Ned immediately afterwards and I said to Ned, I've just met the smartest person I've ever met in my life. And that was the moment. More or less immediately, I think the three of us hopped on a call later that night and we were like, screw it, We're starting a company together. I mean, Nut and I were about to sell our previous business. John literally dropped out of high school and we set everything down and said, is, while we're passionate about.
Speaker 1: What was the vision you laid out to him? And what was it that he said in response that made you think he was the most intelligent person you ever met.
Speaker 2: Well, at the time, he actually was writing a paper focused on RAG for healthcare agents, so this space I was, Nett and I were in digital health as well, and so I remember reading it and thinking to myself, Wow, like just reading these benchmarks, If these benchmarks are real, it was a material improvement in the quality of models, specifically for retrieving like medical evidence and clinical studies. At that time it was called heel actually hal and reading that, I was just like, wow, this is insane. I spoke to him about it, and I was kind of digging in and I was like, well, it seems really real. So like a fifteen year old living in a dorm at a boarding school in like rural Massachusetts who's from New Hampshire is able to best the labs and that was incredible, And so all of us randomly having a digital health background, but then we also all shared this vision of population research. John was like an original population researcher when he probably also called dm'd its way into a lab at Tufts and a lab at MIT doing city science and population demographic research.
Speaker 1: But did you already have the idea for.
Speaker 3: Something that was developed in its current manifestation together, right, But in the idea of understanding and simulating populations. It's something we thought about for a while, but our own it's manifestation was certainly something that we developed together, which I think is cool.
Speaker 2: I think it was October twenty twenty three we started talking about predicting behavior for the first time, and I think from there on at it was something that just completely consumed us.
Speaker 1: See you mentioned missionaries versus mercenaries. What is the mission for us?
Speaker 2: It's predict the future. I think it's really simple. If you think that humans are the most impactful species on the club, and we're able to predict human behavior, then predicting human behaviors tend amount to predicting the future. And if you can predict the future, you can shape it. It's not just the power to say this is how your product concept will perform, or this is who we expect to win in an election, but instead it's actually the power to find the product that wins and to help the people ideas that matter win elections more consistently.
Speaker 1: So predict littles of influence.
Speaker 3: Predict and shape and help people that need to shape behavior shape that right for the broader good. And that's something we care a lot about. There's a lot of predicted technology that exis for the aspect of simply measuring behavior right. And at the end of the day, what has to be done after that? When you get a spreadsheet that says this is what this person said, this is what this person said, et cetera, it's not very actionable to anybody, and so it ends up being this humongous waste of an exercise, because as much as might have taken you months to get to that point, no matter what measurement it gets to, it's very difficult for someone to have to go from there and make their own assumptions upon that data to then make a conclusion. And then frequently that data ends up just supporting what that initial person's decisioning has been or gets sworn that way or another. We have no like manual waiting on the output of our system. We run simulations of behavior our system as analysis upon it, and people take action as a result. And that's part of what makes it so powerful.
Speaker 1: When I think about prediction and influence, I guess there's like black hat predictors and influences like you know, Goebbels or Cambridge Analytica, and then there's like would be white hat predictors and influences like cast Sunstein and his like famous nudge theory. Right, do you think about this spectrum all the time?
Speaker 3: And if we didn't, I don't think we would believe in our technology. But we do, and we see how strong it is every day, and we do as much as we can to be on the white out side of that. Right, So, like I think about things and you know, maybe not to announce it here, you know, formulae leans or not. We're not without finance and all that yet. But later this year we'll be launching a research institute within our where we're dedicating a significant amount of compute and infratructure from our side who works exclusively on pro bono aspects. So certain these areas are you know, women's self for example, getting people to go to preventive screenings for you know, preventive diseases and other elements like that. That's a behavioral problem, right. Things like getting people to understand that nuclear energy isn't dangerous, that's a behavioral problem, right, All those sorts of elements. There's so much good you can do in the world if you understand what people's awareness of certain issues are, how to make them aware of certain elements and how to change their behavior on things that are genuinely better for society. And that's something we spend a lot of time thinking about.
Speaker 1: Do you have philosophical ethical debates the two of you with your co found it do board? What is the count sort of I was going to account some elders, but it's not appropriate in this conversation. But how do you debate these questions together?
Speaker 2: I mean, we were a company founded in like really deep philosophical principles. We do have a lot of thoughts, you know, about the moral and ethical use of our technology. Right, Like, to be clear, predicting behavior is really powerful. Predicting behavior incredibly accurately, with the capability to shape it is like even more powerful. Right, this is something that not only economically is important, but for the good of the world it's important. And so I think part of the reason we built these company is because we wanted to use this technology as a force for good.
Speaker 3: So how does it work well within what we can share? Of course? No, it's really interesting because you think about the architecture or system, and you think about the proliferation of language models and how much more accessible starting certain elements has been and all these things. And certainly these systems would not be capable without language models. But they're not the only thing that makes them what they are. Right, you think about what a language model is built for and its most basic principles. It is not to capture the irrationality of human behavior, right, It's not. It's in fact quite the opposite. To average results exactly. It is a beta generating machine in many ways, right, And so you think about the things that make humans who we are, that makes us act or buy a product from a brand and a new category that they've never made before. Of course, a language model doesn't work for that use case, right, And so there have been many evolutions of the architecture that we've come to today. At its core, what it is is what we call multi agent simulation. So effectively, we organize these large populations of AI agents, assign them different distributions of income, age, race, gender, sex, you know, credit card purchase history, all these sorts of elements that makes them who they are. The entire principle of how we generate those distributions of what we call audiences in the first place, or the demographics that make that simulate and population up or that we never actually survey people at all, and so we're just generate these populations off of the basic building blocks and what makes them who they are. So what we call ground truth data, right, we only look at data from areas where we don't actually have to ask people because people lie, they have biases. And you go to trybeca near where our office is and you ask the average man how much money makes He's gonna say four and a half million bucks, you know, like whatever it may be, right, So we generate these populations based off these ground truth distributions of traits and then be able to sign those distribution of traits to these thousands of models to become simulated populations, or will then ask them questions to measure their behavior. Right, so you might ask someone you know, who you vote for, what will you buy? How much will you buy? This for all those sorts of elements to be a measure everything from proprency to purchase to who's going to win an election to you know, churn risk and everything in between. And is it falsifiable like by a validation?
Speaker 1: How do you like? How do you be tested exclusively to outcomes?
Speaker 3: Right, So we never try to benchmarker models on surveys or any sort of traditional primary research, so surveys, polls, focus groups, et cetera, because again we believe this to be biased. So exclusive look at the actual actions people take and not what they say they do. And there's a lot of different examples of where we've been able to do this publicly that have been really cool. You know, this is a fantastic example with one of our partners, Ernst and Young, who you mentioned. They took a survey that traditionally took the months to run. Thirty six hundred people responded, thirty countries, fifty three questions. We said, don't trust their models. Right, This is what we say to all our customers. They gave us the questions they asked. They gave us the people they spoke to, or the quotas for the assets under management. It was an investor simulation. We ran the entire questions that within our model in a matter of minutes returned it to them. They did a correlation, had a ninety percent correlation, but in the ten percent where we were not accurate, we were significantly closer to the real human action. So you think about a question in that example, right. One of those in that study was what's your likelihood to retain a wealth manager when your parents pass away? What are the three things that go through your head when you get asked that question. The first one is I hope my parents don't pass away. Second one is that might have been in five years, ten years, thirty years, I don't know. I'm going to do my money then, and the third one is my wealth managers asked me this question. I'm not going to tell them a lot, right, So you have this whole scenario where at the end of the day, eighty two percent of the people in their traditional measurement gold standard survey said they were going to retain wealth manager. Real market data from actual wealth management firms said this between the tune of like twenty to forty percent, depending on geography. Our simulation came back a forty percent. So you look at a result like that, like customers do all the time when they see the difference between our simulations and the surveys. They run eighty two percent in their survey forty percent in ours, and it looks totally wrong. You look at real actions in the real world.
Speaker 1: We're right on the money, okay, But imagine doesn't know even as I am. How is it possible that fake people can get better on so those than real people.
Speaker 2: Because real people lie. I mean, it's that simple one. When I go and I phone you and I say, you know, hey, my name's Cam. I'm a researcher with Consumer Research Incorporated. How do you feel about the coffee you just drank from Starbucks this morning. What are you going to tell me you're going to hang up the phone. Are you going to say it was great and I got off the phone. And so when you're looking at that in traditional consumer research world, it just doesn't align incentives for consumers to actually provide a real opinion, right, a real reflection of how they care what they feel. And so when you're looking at our data, instead, we don't ask consumers how they care what they feel, right, because we know that they're not going to be honest with us. We know that nothing that is trained on or built on top of surveys or traditional consumer research is ever going to be able to reflect that accurately. And so instead we run another direction. We train on top of the outcomes. As Ned said, we train on things like actual coffee mug sales and actual coffee cup sales, right, And by looking at that data we can track far better how humans opinions and behavior is changing over time.
Speaker 1: What's the most niche thing that you're proud of having got right? What's the whole in one double egle?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's some really really specific ones. So there's certainly been cases where we've done things like price elasticity of like bundling of very specific automotive parts. That is crazy that we get those correct. But then there are other really interesting things, like you know, breaking new artists in music. Right, we're on iHeart Radio right now, right, Like looking at being able to simulate the star power of a very specific emerging artist and predict that they're going to blow up or that they have propensity to blow up in these specific areas. That's incredibly cool.
Speaker 1: So this was an advanity fair piece. It was an artist you found who had forty thousand streams when you found them and went on to release a song with one hundred and seventy two millions off you'd identified them. What more can you share about this?
Speaker 2: Not that much, But it was a really really cool use case. And I am proud to say that I listened to their music on our way up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back up, yes we did. You can't say what the artist.
Speaker 2: Is, No, I can't say who the artists?
Speaker 1: What can you share about the criteria? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So this is really interesting. We were testing a very specific population. It was people simulating people listening to music who are under the age of twenty five, right, So we're looking at like young sort of looking at emerging underground these sorts of areas. It was really interesting because we ended up feeding in the Instagram feeds, Twitter feeds some of the actual songs and prossing the audio on those elements and understanding is this a res rating compared to all these other artists, Like how often you'd listen to this artist? Would you go to a concert for this artist? How would you pay for a ticket to see this artist if your friends told you about them, like all these super specific elements that we worked with to quantify whether or not, out of a large ranking of these specific performers, which one would do best. And then, of course that was when they were much smaller. They ended up getting signed and sorts of things and then had a lot of popular songs come out. So you know, we can't take full responsibility for the fact they got that large, but it was certainly interesting to see that we were properly able to simulate the general populations prepensy to listen to music, which is really cool because that is something that's so difficult to quantify.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually have one that I would love to work with you guys on. So I am the host of this tech Stuff podcast and tex Stuff is a co production of iHeart Where we Are and Kaleidoscope, which is the media company I founded, and our mission is essentially to communicate the wonder and excitement of this new age of which you two are representative of. And that idea that you articulated, which is that like a small group of people run with everything they have towards being like participant builders and a large group of people don't is perhaps one of the greatest social problems we have. And so what we think about a Kalidascope is how can we tell stories and do media products podcast, YouTube, et cetera, which are not polyannoriatee or just you know, celebrations of the tech industry, but but rather that are kind of engaging and inspiring storytelling about what's possible in this new world because a lot of the narratives about it, yes they are available, but they're also like by the industry, for the industry.
Speaker 2: It's a closed and ecosystem in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: I was thinking this morning on the way to talk to you guys, how do we successfully identify the next cohort of the best science and tech creators, influencers, et cetera. So how would we go about doing Like, let's say I was a paying client, which I think I might be. It has to help like what would be the sales motion as it were, if I was a real client, Like what would you what would you guys? Where would you go from like this problem to providing me with the answer.
Speaker 3: No, I think this is really interesting. And the first part that you're bringing up there is one of the biggest challenges for insights, research, marketing, strategy, product pricing, whatever you are team today because what makes research, say, it takes so lethargic of a process today, like weeks, if not months sometimes Yeah, part of it is like asking the questions and finding the people to talk to and those sorts of elements. Part of it is figuring out what the numbers mean afterwards. The biggest challenge and the place where we actually see people go the most wrong, is figuring out what to ask in the first place, right. And so one thing that we've built our system to be able to do because we serve as so many different types of operators is feed in general objectives, feed in semantic descriptions, and our system will take that in and figure out exactly what the simulations you have to run to answer that objective are And so maybe for that example, the first thing you want to find out is, Hey, before we go identify what talent works with people, let's go see who has the appetite for this in the first place. Segmentation this is huge business for us. We do a lot in CpG and marketing in these areas because we don't need to get in the weeds of your CRM to segment your audience. We can just simulate, you know, half million people in downtown New York City and see who wants to listen to your product, or see who wants to buy it for a certain price. Right, So it's much more first principles, like top down because we have that scale. So maybe the first time we'd run there would be understanding a certain population. You said you're interested in the youth mostly right, probably as being an audience maybe given age rage. I'm curious let's say twenty one to twenty nine careert, so twenty one to twenty nine, right, And we probably feed that in any other descriptors that you have about this population that you're interested in, maybe psychographically like open to sort of personal self development. Not already checked out, but wondering how to live a better life.
Speaker 2: So we would be able to take in that description, you know, twenty one to twenty nine people who are interested sort of open to non insiders, not insiders, people who maybe insider rejectors, right, people don't insiders, but people who are open to learning more about technology, and our models are able to pull out that description and actually say okay, based off of who even something that simple is like what is their urban world breakdown? What is their home cooking meal frequency? You know, where do they spend their time on social media? How many hours a day did they go to school? Yeah, what is their education? What is their income level? You know, three hundred plus different variables that we're storing. And then once we chart all of that out, we're able to then go say, now, what questions do you want to ask? And that's when ND said we do a lot of work as well in identifying kind of the right questions to ask using our models. Then once we have that question list, we're able to take that audience. We start with the distributions. We generate tens of thousands of agents who are logically consistent. Right, So in the twenty one to twenty nine year old group. There's not going to be any seven year olds, right, There aren't going to be any eighteen year olds. There won't be any thirty one year olds. We make sure that everything is logically consistent, and then we're able to simulate the behavior of each individual and predict that on an individual by individual level. Remember, these aren't real people, but hypothetically likely people to exist. We can collect results across all of them, and hopefully in doing that, we'll have cracked the code and told you exactly who we need to put on air.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you can't choose amongst your children, But what's been the most fascinating project intellectually for you both so far?
Speaker 2: So I tell you I run a lot of simulations all the time, just because I'm interested in it. Like it takes all the willpower in the world not.
Speaker 1: To just like it.
Speaker 2: Sit there all day long, logged into platform dot dot com running SIMS. So I just ran. I run a lot of really interesting ones. I just ran one I was really curious about. For the upcoming twenty twenty six primaries and the twenty twenty six midterm election season, we both kind of come from a politics background, So that's an area where we've been interested in for a long time. And then we always track glps as you may know, you know, which we like to talk about pretty openly.
Speaker 1: So I interested in jlps because they're in a sense of intervention in behavior at scale, and the implications of that intervention are thus far not fully known.
Speaker 2: I think I'm I've personally I don't know about you. I'm personally interested in GLPS because this is like the biggest mass movement and mass change we've had in public health care in a long long time, Like healthcare has never been more culturally relevant. I think by the way, a lot of things fed into that GLP moment. It wasn't just the existence of GLPES, but like health care and wellness has been something we talk about increasingly over the last five six years. And then it is going to create massive behavior change, and most of the largest businesses on the globe don't know how to navigate that behavior change with the clarity they need, and so that's actually why we do so much work in the GLP space.
Speaker 1: Now you've got a little bit held your feature The fire by Andrew Rossulkin on Squawkbox because you said, basically, our prediction is that there may be a short term decline alcohol consumption, but actually as people start to feel better and more confident because they're at a healthy weight and whatever else I feel good about themselves, they'll be out more and so they may have won drink, won drink, won drink five times a week versus having five or ten drinks, you know, in one day. The Squawkbox team didn't seem to quite buy it.
Speaker 2: Well, I tell you what, they don't have to buy it themselves as opinion, because it's actually now starting to become a matter of fact. I don't know if you've been watching earnings for alcohol businesses, but Q one earnings have been coming back, and for the first time in a long time, we're now seeing like case volumes four alcohol come up. That tells you a lot about the fact that already the alcohol industry is probably starting to see some of the tail ones that the market was a little bit too negative on GLPS. I've been reading the analyst notes. The analyst notes talk about GLPS maybe having some long tail benefit, and so I think it makes a lot of sense that sure has it played out completely, No, But do I feel like we're starting to see the early signs in an alcohol industry recovery, mostly driven by the fact that glps aren't as bad as people think one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just going to say, you ask again why it is so interesting to us and why this is so important. The most valuable people on the globe to understand the behavior of will always be the most difficult to access. People on GLP ones aren't even telling their family they're on these drugs. I'm not going to tell you to survey, right and so right now, if you're a I'll call producer. If you are a QSR, whatever it may be, you're in a really, really, really tough spot. Same thing goes with like ultrain it with individuals or any of those groups, Like any very difficult to access populations are always going to be common for us to simulate because we can offer people data that nobody else on the planet can.
Speaker 1: So could you do, for example, the younger crop of revolutionary gods in Iran who haven't been assassinated, and what they think the deal tends to make a piece deal would be? I mean, I'm sort of being slightly faceties, not like do you have enough data on Iranian revolutionary gods or ah, we do it? Do that need to be kind of like us based, would you be ablignate that population?
Speaker 2: So we're we're totally global, right. We cover over one hundred and sixty countries across the globe, all of Europe, almost all of Asia, spare a couple of countries in the Middle East, all of the Americas and most of africas well. I'd have to look into it, but I can tell you we probably don't have all the data we need to simulate that. We're very clear about where we do and don't work, and so for us it is important there needs to be data in order to simulate an audience accurately. But I would say there needs to be less data than you think. And so young IRGC commanders, is there enough data on that? Probably no, right, But is there enough data for us to understand you know, say Filipino household purchase decision makers for you know, cleaning products in the country, Yeah, one hundred percent. And we can understand regional variations between foss food purchases in Hochiman City versus in Hanoi and Vietnam. Right, And that's because of really two factors, the first being less data is required than I think most people think, and the second being that way way more data is being created than most people think everywhere we go nowadays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a really big challenge when you go to foreign markets or you go well, not even for markets. Let's just talk about in general modeling very specific populations and niche geographies. Of those elements, one is you want to model this population accurately. Great, you need really up to date, you need really fairly granular demographic data, and all those sorts of elements. Yeah, some of that is very specific, like having credit card purchase history on a very granular level is incredibly impactful. But if you're modeling the population of even New York City, you still need to know like what percentage of people have running water, and me not having credit card history on a very specific population. With iron on understanding how certain refugee populations in the Middle East may react to a United Nations announcement about peacekeeping or delivery of food supplies, it's probably more relevant for me to have data on whether or not they have running water than it is for credit card things. Right, So there are certain things that are more or less relevant depending on geography. I also say the next thing that is always super important to keep in a mind when you're talking about specific populations is understanding of the environment more than it is just understanding of them. So it's great if you have a perfect demographic representation of Singapore. What actually matters a lot if you're trying to simulate the difference between how people feel today and in three weeks from now, is like, was there some crazy news that happened? Right? Is there some like big new trend on TikTok or whatever that's like totally altered the way people think about a certain thing. That's more important to capture than just knowing who people are alone.
Speaker 2: I would say even more when you look at why people use us for totally global businesses. Right, We've some customers were supporting in you know, dozens, if not over one hundred different countries. They're using us in part because no one has a consistent bar for measurement across all these different markets today. Right. So you know here in the United States, if a place has below four point five Google rating, it's probably not great. If it has below four, it probably is really not great. And then it has below three I probably wouldn't go there due to food safety issues in Japan. Most rating systems start with three and one would be terrible, two would be bad, three would be good, and four would be excellent and five would be incredible. And so if you're trying to take yeah, if you're trying to take consumer survey across the United States and Japan and you get you.
Speaker 1: Know, there's not there's apples and orange is basic point. One product that look the same different arts.
Speaker 2: One product has a top two box score of like sixty five percent in the United States, and one product has a top two box score of like thirty percent in Japan. Little do you know, thirty percent top two box score in Japan is actually like an incredible indicator. And in the States, sixty five percent top two box scores like not that impressive, right, So when you use us, A lot of the reason that people are bringing us in is because we offer global consistency. It's the same level of bar for every single market we support in every single audience because it's all based off of real, real behavioral outcome, so you can actually trust that something is going to be the same across different countries.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that the longer term mission is to predict the future. How far out does the future that you can predict go today, and what might lengthen the horizon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is kind of interesting because it's not even a time frame or the amount of years, it's the amount of degrees behavior that leads you to that. Right, So you take something like an election, which of course there's going to be environmental changes that happen in between. There's you know, hundreds of millions of people that vote in the US. There are all those people making decisions, but they're making one singular decision. So it's not that difficult to predict. You look at a election, and then you look at how people react, and then you look at who protests, and then you look at how it affects trade, and then look at It gets harder and harder and harder to be able to model that because even if you're ninety nine point nine percent accurate, you multiply by itself enough times and it decreases.
Speaker 2: I think for us, what you see where we really truly excel today. We're incredible at population and group level and cohort level behavior predictions. Right, so we are the most accurate in the world at predicting something like an election by quite a distance, or the most accurate in the world of predicting consumer purchase intent by quite a distance, the most accurate in the world of predicting social media shareability by quite a distance. We aren't as good at organizational action protection. We aren't good at looking at an individual by individual level. That's not something we offer today. If you say, I want to take this from just how do we impact the population to like, how do we truly predict the future? We need to nail those as well. And so as you see where we're headed over the long run, we're going to take our fundamental model advantage, our tech advantage, and we're going to apply that to these new domains so that we get even better at predicting the future.
Speaker 1: So you're raising eighty million Series A at a valuation whatever billion dollars, what's the use of prosus? What are you investing the money in? And what support is the valuation of the investors?
Speaker 3: People on both sides actually in many ways, I would say, but more importantly, what we're spending the most amount of capital on today and really really focusing on our number one priority is getting the best people, the best people, the smartest people, the most driven people. The only reason we're able to get so far is as the nature of our team. We have aongous, humongous priority on diversity of thought, and that goes across research, engineering, product right. People who spend time looking at understanding awareness of social media when we see put it into our models in those elements used to do Alzheimer's and dementiary research. There are other people on our team who come from traditional social science, demography, applied demography backgrounds, not you know, just applied AI in those elements, because this problem can't be solved in one singular way.
Speaker 1: And I came to your office and it was notable for the no shoe optional, no shoe policy, which I'm a big fan of, and also for the cigarettes, which you guys living the gen z trend.
Speaker 2: We predicted it. We said cigarettes were coming back in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yes we did not.
Speaker 1: Everyone's in love with what you're doing. The New York Times racing right OpEd with the headline this is what we'll ruin public opinion polling for good quote, pure fictions are on the brink of being treated as scientific and political knowledge. If we do not pull back, our understanding of society might become artificial too. And this was a direct criticism of an Exios story that had used our research about trust levels in doctors and nurses, which didn't have a disclosure that it was based on synthetic respondents. And The New York Times, these two writers basically did a broadside against you.
Speaker 2: Why they wrong, I think when you actually read that story, and by the way, I read that story, I read many of the other ones that followed, because I think it's important to see how people feel about technology like this. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what makes our technology fundamentally different. I actually agree with them. By the way, there are thousands of papers about this idea of you know as they call it, silicon sampling as we call it, you know, the anthology approach where you essentually take a profile that you have like generated, or a profile of some human being, and you give it to a language model and you say, be this person, that is not accurate. Right. We tried that approach, actually, trust me, like we when we started this company, that was our base approach, and that's when we learned that it actually doesn't reflect public opinion, and we very quickly discovered that we had to be training our own models, We had to build our own technology. We needed frontier research of our own in behavior simulation in order to actually have accuracy that delivers, right. And so I think when they talk about the issues of that technology, I agree, So.
Speaker 1: What do they misunderstand about what you were doing? In that case?
Speaker 2: The core thing to look at us is using real behavioral outcomes and a fundamentally different model architecture and a fundamentally different program. Right. We're training our own models. Our models blend LMS and traditional mL with dozens of other techniques, methods, things that we have built internally, right, And so I think if you peaked under the hood and actually saw how this worked, it's probably a lot more similar to the traditional models that you know, people like that have trusted for a long time than what people have read about this idea of silicon sampling in the papers. And so the real thing is when you're looking at real behavioral outcomes. We've shown time and time again that we can be more accurate than traditional public opinion research.
Speaker 3: And that we are. But to be very direct on that, right, it's like why was that piece written, right? I like think about it from why was that piece written? Was it written because someone has like a passion to like, you know, break apart at Teckning methodology? Absolutely not right. It's written because someone sees that as a flawed approach or something that's like, you know, bad, and that's important to recognize. And I think it's something that you know, Look, we're in New York for a reason because we're outside of the echo chamber and.
Speaker 2: We hear this.
Speaker 3: But I think, like from the perspective of how we look at this, we didn't build this company from a perspective of like exclusively AI efficiency. And you know, all these ads that we see in New York that we think are despicable around like not hiring humans in those sorts of areas, It's not the approach that I would ever approach that I would ever think about, right. We think about this in perspective of We'll go to someone who's been a marketer for the last two decades, last two decades, three decades. They might have thirty different areas and like ten different managers that tell them what they can and what they cannot put out, and people within organizations for the last twenty some years have been looking for an ability, for something else to give them the confidence to take swings. And that's the way we think about it. Right, you take something that nobody's ever launches an now before, how do you go to your CEO and say, let's put five million dollars on this instead of you know, paying some random athlete who you know. Ex Soap company just put on something and it did well for them, So why shouldn't we do the same thing. You're going to get turned down, you'll get fired, you won't have that right. We give people numbers that are more accurate than anything else on the globe, that we've proven to be more accurate than survey research, so that they can take those big swings, so that they can make those actions, so that they don't have paralysis inside of businesses waiting for like ten other people to agree with their decisioning. We give people quantifiable numbers and reasons why they're right if they are, and reasons why they're wrong if they're wrong. And that's what our goal is.
Speaker 1: Final question to you both. You met in high school, you became best friends, more or less love at first sight. Now you live together, you have a billion dollar startup together.
Speaker 3: Where's this gone?
Speaker 1: Well, do you have any fear that in enormous success, this room maybe could come between you?
Speaker 2: No, not announced.
Speaker 3: I think too much money and effort has gone to nurturing unremarkable talent, and we have a very heavy performance culture. I think being able to be our age and be able to work every single day with people that we love and we care about on the thing that we think is the most important technology in the world is something that is more unifying that you can ever imagine. And I could be more grateful to be able to work alongside.
Speaker 2: You, much more eloquent than me. I love you. He's a legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean look, I think people who say don't do business with friends need better friends. You know.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. There, You go, mat Cam, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having us. It's great chat.
Speaker 1: For tex staff iMOS Voloshin. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis. It was executive produced by me and Julian Nutter for Kaleidoscope and Katria Norvel for iHeart Podcasts. Jack Insley mixed this episode and Kyle Murdoch wrote our theme song.