Speaker 1: Welcome to the best of the Week for What's Right with Nick Right the best takes and moments from this week on the show. Enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, after two games away from the NBA Finals, the New York Knicks have fired TIBs. We talked on Tuesday. You seem to think that his job was pretty secure.
Speaker 3: Myself as well. I couldn't see them fire and TIBs. But here we.
Speaker 2: Are, they fired him. Where did they go from here? What's the assessment?
Speaker 4: Okay, so.
Speaker 1: I react, this happened ten minutes before the TV show started, right, And I actually said on the air, sometimes the reacting to breaking news are my favorite shows when I look back on them, and sometimes they're the most annoying shows because I'm like, gosh, darn it, I just didn't have that piece of information, you know what I mean, And so everything that we said ends up becoming irrelevant a few hours later. I think the TIBs show might end up falling into the former category my favorite shows, and here's why. So my snap reaction to the TIBs firing was there's really only three ways to view it, Like there's only three I guess rationales to the firing rationale one was.
Speaker 4: They So let me back up.
Speaker 1: The reason I'm framing it like this is because everyone is framing it the way you did, Demonse, which is it was the best season in twenty five years. You made your first conference finals in twenty five years, you were two games away from the NBA Finals, you were favored to go to the finals, and you fired your coach. So logically speaking, that would mean one of two things is true. Either A, at the end of the regular season they had determined were move moving on from Tom Thibodeau. Anything short of a championship or making the finals, we're firing that. That's where they were, kind of like the Nuggets were with Michael Malone. But the Nuggets just did it beforehand and they weren't going to let this playoff run dissuade them.
Speaker 4: That's kind of option A. Option be.
Speaker 1: If that's not the case, if at the end of the regular season his job was safe, then that would mean option B, which is somehow this playoff run hurt TIBs in the front office er ownership's eyes, right, if he would save at the end of the regular season that they looked at it and they were like, you know what, Demons was right that victory over the Celtics was a fluke.
Speaker 4: Shouldn't have happened down fifteen in every game.
Speaker 1: We're actually not that good, you know what I mean, Like we were trailing Detroit a Bune, we got lucky against Boston and so like those are, in theory, the only two viable paths. And this is why I'm kind I feel like Tuesday's TV show is going to age. Well, I said that, and then I said, there is, however, a third path, a third rationale I should say, which is they are firing Tom Thibodeau because there is a player they are trying to acquire that they think they will be more likely to acquire if they fire Tom Thibodeaux. And the what I was implying without really saying, is was it possible that someone from Giannis's camp said, hey, you know, if person X was your coach, maybe not only you know, would it pushed Gyan is closer to asking for a trade, but maybe he would ask for trade to the Knick specifically. So I just kind of threw that out there as a possibility. I don't think you would have to fire a Tibbs in order to give yourself a better chance to get Kevin Durant. Yannis is the other big name out there. So I just threw that out there on Tuesday. And then, Demons, did you see the kind of weird report about one of the coaches the Knicks might want to go after?
Speaker 4: Because I did.
Speaker 1: It was a coach who currently has a job, and it was Jason Kidd. And if people remember, Jason Kidd coached Yannis in Milwaukee, and when Jason Kidd was fired Yannis, the reporting was he called Jason Kidd and said, is can I fix it? Should I call ownership and say, unfire you? I'm paraphrasing again, I'm not, I am. I'm literally I could not be further away from reporting anything here. I have been gambling NonStop for the last thirty six hours. I've not been working the phones. I've been playing poker. I'm simply saying the firing TIBs. It was odd enough that a little alarm bells went off. And then when I cause the reporting, demanse was there were two coaches who currently have jobs the Knicks were interested in.
Speaker 4: It was Jason Kidd and emy Udoka.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, okay, well, Emay Udoka is not going to be available like and so it felt to me and again maybe maybe I'm wrong, like Udoka was included in that, like, hey, yeah, there's a lot of.
Speaker 4: You know, established coaches that you know we might like.
Speaker 3: It's really that one name.
Speaker 4: It was really about exactly.
Speaker 1: And then this morning on the walk over from Aria where I'm staying to Horseshoe where the World Series of Poker is, I was listening to Brian windhorse Show.
Speaker 4: The Hoop Collective.
Speaker 1: And anybody, by the way, who tweeting me or asking me or whatever about Lebron once again going at Wendy, I would please. What I would like to say about that is it makes me very sad and I wish you wouldn't do it, and I you know, I appreciate you respecting my privacy at this time, I do not like it. But bright I was listening to Brian Windhorst on his great podcast with Tim bond Temps and Tim McMahon, Tim McMahon who covers all the Texas teams free ESPN, and the Jason Kidd thing came up and Tim McMahon did not who just wrote a book on Luca who's very close to the MAVs When the Jason Kidd thing came up, Tim McMahon did not say, Oh, no chance, there's no way the MAVs are letting him leave. There's no that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: So Jason Kidd might want to leave Dallas.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's a situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, I know they have Cooper flag coming, but it's still kind of a toxic situation.
Speaker 4: And here's the other thing.
Speaker 1: Even if like it wasn't a toxic situation, so much easier to win in the East right now, right now, I'm going to add one other piece of this because obviously Jim Dolan was involved to some level. I don't know how much of a level, but to some level. Okay, So I'm gonna I'm gonna build a long bridge to get to this point. Somebody I didn't interview a couple of weeks ago, and that silly like face of the network thing came up again when the guy asked me about FS one and me and I answered what I've always answered, which is, for the last almost decade, Colin Cowhard has been an hat for every single day the face of FS one, and he will be until he stops broadcasting for US and people think like, that's just you know me, you know, kind of paying tribute to a guy who's my professional idol and friend, and you know all that, and some of that's true whatever, but it's also it's not like an emeritus title. He's also as like the kids on Twitter would say, still throwing ninety eight on the black whenever he wants. Because Coward had the best Jim Dolan take ever and he just said it as an aside a few years ago, and it's so perfect that I'm here in Vegas.
Speaker 4: When we're talking about this, which.
Speaker 1: Is Coward said, do you know why the Knicks all of a sudden got good, good management, good coaching, They were a functional adult franchise And he said it was because Jim Dolan was building the Sphere in Las Vegas and and was distracted.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Like Jim Dolan's favorite toy forever, ever since he inherited cable vision and MSG from his dad, has been the Knicks. But then his company was building the Sphere in Vegas and that was his new toy, and so he had to leave the Knicks alone. And like, all right, Leon rose in world Wide West. You guys handle it like you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: It's the greatest take it, and it's why Colin's the greatest to ever do it, because nobody, nobody else's brain works that way. But the moment he said it, I'm like, God, damn it, you're off percent right.
Speaker 1: It makes perfect sense. It's exactly what happened. It's exactly what happened. But here's here's my contribution to that take. Guess what, Demanse. The sphere is built and it's up and running and it's self sustaining, and the Knicks just had this magical playoff run and so guess what this is like a toy story, Buzz Aldrin Woody situation, that toy that you threw in the back of the closet because the other one was taking up your attention.
Speaker 3: It's like a way, what did I say? What did I say? Something like that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Bus, so he's the third man to walk on the moon or second man to walk on the moon? Im sorry, Buzz Buzz Lightyear and Woody No. But then all of a sudden, the Knick, the Knicks, the spheares up and running. The Knicks are fun. Now, Shalo mas there they're making runs. Jim Dolan's like, I'm back, baby, Let's make some Let's make No, I'm not saying they're gonna suck. What I'm saying is all of a sudden, they're making drastic moves again.
Speaker 4: Right, He's like, what if we fire the coach? What if we try to poach Jason Kidd? What if we do this?
Speaker 1: So it's just I and with all that said, I don't necessarily think this is the wrong move. Here's though, I do have the I want to bounce this off you pal okay, because people were disappointed with the Knicks, Like, I'll give the fair criticisms of Tibbs in a second, but here's one of the things, like that the Knicks were bad defensively in these playoffs, large portions of it. Here is what I would be worried about and the risk they would run they are running. Is it because Tibbs calling card his whole career has been great defense?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 4: Is it possible.
Speaker 1: That the defense the Knicks had this year, while maybe disappointing to some, was actually the best defense you can realistically have. If Jalen Brunson and Karl Anthony Towns are your two best players.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, were they actually, because of Tibbs better defensively than they should have been? But because of those two guys defensive limitations, was it still not good enough?
Speaker 4: Pardon me?
Speaker 1: Like that's that would be the that would be the concern that I think is potentially a real concern, right right?
Speaker 2: That makes sense. He was just working with what he had. I mean, I you see, I have no choice but to play Cat and Brunson. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So's now, here's what I think is a fair criticism of Tibbs and also a reminder for everybody. And this applies mostly to basketball coaches, but you can find a way to make it apply to any walk of life. It's always risky to make it clear to your boss that you don't think your boss has done a great job. And here's what I mean Tibbs's stance of and he bent on it a bit at the very end in.
Speaker 4: The playoffs, but was probably too late.
Speaker 1: Stance of I have to play these five guys forty plus minutes because I don't have enough other good players is always risky when the person who picked the players can fire you like it wasn't intentional, but whenever a.
Speaker 4: Coach this this happened.
Speaker 1: This is why Calvin Booth was mad at Michael Malone and then the owner there was like, you're both fired, but it was Michael Malone was like, no, Russ has to play forty plus minutes because the young players stink, and the Calvin Booth was like, I picked those young players. I think they're quite good. And so if you're like, if you're Leon Rose, and Tibbs is like, sorry, McHale Bridges has to play forty five minutes a game because I can't play Landry Shammitt or Delon right. Leon Rose is like, I don't know. I thought those guys were good enough to bring in here. That's always a bit of a bit of a risk. Now, I also think they did not get enough out of Michale Bridges this year, and you can put some of that on Tibbs. And I also do think this there is and we talked about this. We don't have to spend too much more time on it. There is a real benefit or real risk to not experimenting with lineups in the regular season is you don't get the real time reps and be like, oh, shit. Delon Wright plus Duce McBride, cat Og and McHale bridges that lineup can cook, like the different lineup combinations or whatever. Oklahoma City now they won sixty eight games, but they are the standard. Oklahoma City played every lineup combination imaginable through the regular season and now they go into the playoffs with real date on all of it. So I know we have TIBs follow ups, but so let's get to them. But there's my big picture TIBs take. And I apologize to Adam Silver, who just did a great interview on breakfast Ball and Thunder and Pacers fans because they're like day one of the finals and you're talking about a fired coach. In my defense that we did a lot of finals preview stuff on Tuesday because the final, like that is a weird thing about the NBA playoffs. It's just every night eyes bleeding from watching so much basketball, and then there's like a week where we're just chilling and and so.
Speaker 4: But uh, but all right, what are the tips follow ups going?
Speaker 3: Honest, look, he always shaking up the NBA man.
Speaker 4: Well, again, this is just a this is just a theory by me.
Speaker 5: I'm not reporting it's.
Speaker 4: It's not even close to one hundred. It's just an idea. It's just an idea. But go ahead.
Speaker 2: So we'll do a game of likely maybe what if to see who will be the next head coach at New York. So it's like, it's likely that Blank will get the job, but maybe Blank gets the job, and what if this person gets the job?
Speaker 3: So likely?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the I mean Brew kept, Brew kept saying, I want to make sure I get this right.
Speaker 4: Uh what who?
Speaker 1: Gosh darn it, it wasn't I'm gonna Johnny Bryant. Bru kept saying Johnny Bryant, and Brew Brew is one of them. Now, Bruce said he didn't make any calls, he didn't know anything on it.
Speaker 4: It was just his speculation.
Speaker 1: But then right after the show, Johnny Bryant was the Vegas favorite for it.
Speaker 4: Now it's also true.
Speaker 1: This is one of the rare times where like first things first might have kind of helped set the line in Vegas because this thing broke it two fifty. Brew is on the air at three oh two talking Johnny Bryant, and then the sports books like what do they you know? I think they're probably you know what are people saying whatever it was, and so I don't know if that was kind of the tail wagging the dog. The odd thing to me about Johnny Bryant, And I said this to Brew was right now, he's the Cavs associate head coach. He was an assistant under Tibbs. So do they fired TIBs bring in Johnny? I don't know, but Brew so I think likely it's Johnny Briant. And the other piece of this is the Knicks fired TIBs the day Johnny Briant was named a finalist for the Son's job.
Speaker 4: He then didn't get the Sun's job.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's Jason Kidd. And then the what if is this demanse because this is the other piece of it. I haven't talked about what if it's Rick Brunson because if it's not, that's an awkward piece of this, which is when they're interviewing head coaches, so they say, by the way, one other thing, you can pick your whole staff except for one spot Rick Brunson's got Like are they firing Rick Brunson? That would seem tricky, like you know what, like honestly like what he doesn't mean? No, not I don't think. I don't think so at all. My point is, no, no, no, I don't think he is at all. My point is that usually a new coach brings in their own staff, but when one of the coaches on your staff is the dad of the best player on your team, like that's ah, you know, that's just kind of a tricky tricky thing. I think the Jason Kid thing though, has I think there's a little fire to that smoke. DraftKings wants to remind you of the NBA Finals are here and this is your last chance about on the NBA until next season. DraftKings Sports Book, individual sports butting partner of the NBA. It's pulling out all the stops to make this a finals. To remember, one team will be crowned champ and the other will be lost to history. Again, I think that's a little harsh of a line, but the draft listen, it is what it is.
Speaker 4: Who do you have winning it all? Put your hoops expertise to the test. All season long.
Speaker 1: DraftKings has been the go to spot for NBA player props and that doesn't stop.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Who's gonna carry their team to the chip? Try placing a bet on your personal MVP to drop thirty forty, maybe over fifty.
Speaker 4: We talked about it.
Speaker 1: Nobody's dropped fifty in a finals game since the game sent six clincher by Jannis Gianis all over Today's show. Ready to place your first bet, download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. Now lock in your bets, finish the season as a winner. Something special for first timers. New DraftKings customers bet five dollars to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. Don't miss your last chance to bet on the NBA this season. Download the DraftKings Sports Book app. Use code right code right WRIGHD that's code right for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. When you bet five bucks only on draft games, the Crown is yours.
Speaker 6: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight open wire text hope and wy at four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothillk A. Cinnamon Resorting Kansas twenty one on over agent Eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward, minimum minus five hundred odds required. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue INCE four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 2: So the Knicks couldn't even up the series. So now they're headed at Cancun? What do you think New York should do? What should they make any moves people want to come at cat.
Speaker 1: If they just run it back, I think that's totally reasonable. Run it back and be like, hey, runs it a man. While everyone's been focused on Luca's it might be that of the all the players on the twenty twenty two Dallas Mavericks, you were the biggest defensive liability, like moving forward, Like, hey, I know that in Brunson's awesome. He's awesome. It's a great player, legitimate superstar. But Game four for him was really rough on that side of the ball, and it was the biggest game of their season, So like, can you get a little bit better there? Kat? Can you watch the film from your game three fourth quarter again and again and again, and try to activate that more. If you know, McHale's just got to be a little better throughout the year. Josh Hart just just be passable from three, Mitchell Robinson nothing but free throws all summer like those you do those things with the Celtic Sorry, kind of off the chessboard. The East is wide open. That would be reasonable. I now, as far as transactions, obviously, if you can get Yannis, you'd get Yannis. I do not think they have the best package to offer, so I think that would be tough. Now, maybe if he demands only New York, May Milwaukee will accommodate.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Durant thing, Demanse, because I do think if you traded Cat for Durant, if you offered that, the Suns would say yes. Now, Durant is six years older, and that shortens your window considerably. However, the argument for it would be twofold one is it is a back door out of what is going to be a really tricky Cat contract situation, because Cat's got three years left at fifty three, fifty seven sixty one. I don't know if you love that is he extension eligible? Let me look, no, hold on, sorry, I want to check that, because that's the other thing. If it's like, hey, and I also, yeah, he is extension eligible. So it's like you owe him sixty one and three years, and he might be like, and I'd like two more years on the back end at sixty three and sixty five. Like that's that might be untenable. But the other reason you would do it is if you think Mitchell Robinson can play thirty minutes a game, and you think Durant would just add another layer to your offense, and and here's the critical piece, you think next year has massive additional value compared to other future years because of the Celtic situation, I might do it. You would still you would get better defensively.
Speaker 4: Better.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if you can say he'd be better shooting because Cats such a great three point shooter but better midrange. Yeah, I mean, like the I don't actually think Durant's a better three point shooter than Cat, like by the numbers and by the volume, but better three level. I I normally would let me check Kat's exact birth yea.
Speaker 2: And I was about to say, like rank Katie's defense with Cats. I mean, I know Katie isn't known for his defense, but the way I see Cat moved around sometimes Katie can get up and down.
Speaker 3: The court fasten than that, Katie's a much better Yeah. I was about to say, like.
Speaker 1: I said, six years older, it's actually seven years older. That's the Karl Anthony Towns turns thirty at the beginning of next season. Katie turns thirty seven at the beginning of next season. So that typically is not a move you want to make. But I guess here's how I would look at it if they made that trade Demonse. I think for next year, I'd say the Knicks are the favorites in the East, and now I think kd might end up in Minnesota. I think there's real smoke there, but the East is so open, and I do think for a playoff run, even though we haven't seen duran on a long playoff run in a very long time, I think Durant makes you a little bit better. Like, do you think that's crazy?
Speaker 2: No, I think that that makes a lot of sense. I think Durant should probably go to the go to New York as opposed to the East too. Just to get the best postal chance, go the east supposed to the west, just to get another chip.
Speaker 3: But I mean still end up having to face those guys either way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I like the move. I think they should do it. It's a no brainer to me.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's got to at least be kicked around. That's the way. That's the way I look at it. All right, Reminder, everyone like, rate, subscribe, review, do all that. Let's let's jump down to some listener questions and then I can talk a little World Series of poker if we have time. Uh, but let's do again. If you're watching on YouTube, we greatly appreciate it. If you're listening on the pod, oh, we greatly appreciate it. But either way, please subscribe to the channel, Please subscribe to the pod.
Speaker 4: All of that.
Speaker 1: It really does help us out quite a bit. All right, go ahead to mans.
Speaker 2: Bobby says, the twenty four Celtics against the twenty twenty five Thunder in a seven game series, who would win?
Speaker 1: I think it's tough. I think that's very close. If you are getting seven healthy games out of Porzingis, I would go boss.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If Porzingis is the way he was forget this postseason, even last postseason where you know he was injured. Then I that to me would tilt it to the thunder. Does that seem fair?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Man, that's so unfortunate.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well yeah, I I to me that that that's what I That's where I land on it, all right?
Speaker 2: Next, Ryan, are the Pacers title hopes riding on game on a game one win?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean you could well. Let me put it like this.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: You guys know how thin I think the Pacers are drawing in this. They have to win one of the first two. You can't go down two oh, even though ah the series wouldn't have started a home team had lost. Done. You gotta win one of the first two.
Speaker 3: Next.
Speaker 2: Oh, And Michael says, going into the twenty twenty four NFL season, I think there was I think there was a consistent consensus understanding that the AFC was better than the NFC. You think that that still holds? No?
Speaker 1: What I think is the quarterbacks in the AFC are way better than the quarterbacks in the NFC. But because of that, because the NFC quarterbacks are not as highly paid you are, you've been able to develop more well rounded teams and you know the team right New last year that was you know it gets to call themselves the best teams in the NFC. And the Lions were excellent too. Now the Lions I'm a little worried about and the Frank ragnow retirements not nothing, but no, I think it's far closer than it was. Let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Owen says love from Canada. Do you think SGA passes Steve Nash is the greatest Canadian player ever with a title win?
Speaker 4: Yes? I think he does.
Speaker 1: I think one MVP and one title and I think this year from SGA was better than any individual Steve Nash year. Yeah, I think he does pass him as the best Canadian player ever.
Speaker 2: Next, Luis says, hey, Nick, since the NBA season is ending, is there any plan to cover summer sports WNBA, cycling, Twit de France, F one, tennis until September and the NFL comes back.
Speaker 1: So we'll definitely cover some WNBA toile definitely cover tennis, you know that. And I have a confession. You know what I did this Sunday? I watched IndyCar in the Detroit Grand Prix because ever since I went to the Indy five hundred. I kind of gotten into open wheel racing a bit, and so I am now considering going back and watching that F one series on Netflix that I was so skeptical of and us as ringing back the F one minute and doing all that. So maybe I'll get into F one because I thought the op I thought the IndyCar stuff was really really cool. But we'll also have NBA free agency, the NBA Draft. We'll have a bunch of cool stuff, all right, Last.
Speaker 2: One producers, but really gave thoughts on the new mission Impossible.
Speaker 1: I have a shameful confession. I haven't seen it yet. Now. Part of that is I've been incredibly busy, and part of that is I haven't been ready to say goodbye to the greatest talking franchise ever. And so no spoilers please.
Speaker 3: Signed an Impossibles.
Speaker 1: It's such a bad job by your, bad job by you.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, it's the greatest movie series ever.
Speaker 1: It's just so good.
Speaker 2: For Oklahoma City. Who do you think has the most to gain the most to lose in this series?
Speaker 1: Most of the games unequivocally, without a doubt, Shay, I mean Shae, Shae can argue I won't necessarily agree with it, but Shae and his fans certainly could argue he holds the belt if they win that it not only because he's would be the league MVP. The finals MVP, there were a sixty eight win team scoring champ.
Speaker 4: But also.
Speaker 1: I played the guy who has the belt and Joker and my team won and I played, they could argue played better than him. I don't actually think I agree that in that series Shay was better than Joker. I know Joker at a couple kind of uncharacteristic games. I still think Joker was the most impactful.
Speaker 4: Guy in that series.
Speaker 1: But it certainly would be a fair take to say if they win, to say Shay's the best player. It's again, it's not the take I would have, but you'd have to at least respect it. It also would be brew and I were talking about this off the air, and I know Simmons has talked a lot about this. It also would be an all time Guard season, So like, if you remove Michael and Magic, what Guard would have had a better season than the one Shay is having right now. I think if they win the title, I think folks reflexively, I know I reflexively was like, well, all right, Michael had a bunch, Magic had at least a couple, and then, of course stept Here's the problem. Steph's best season by far. They lost the champ They lost the finals, So the Steph's years get kind of fuzzy in our memory. But Steph's best year and one of the greatest years any player has ever had, when he scored thirty a game on I mean fifty forty five and d splits they lost to Lebron. His other MVP year, demonse, I'm gonna put you on the spot here, give me a guess how many points and assists Steph averaged his first MVP season.
Speaker 3: Thirty one and nine, twenty four and eight.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus no that, But that's not U because he did. He averaged thirty two later, and he averaged thirty the next year. That so that's the point that I that I was making. That year, the team was unbelievable, and obviously he was great, but that's not like an all time individual season. The next year was the all time individual season, and then.
Speaker 4: The year he had a year.
Speaker 1: When he won the scoring title when they weren't that good in twenty twenty one and they missed the playoffs like that, you know, so there's his best year. They didn't win the title. And then people are gonna say, well, Kobe, did Kobe have a better year than this Shay year? Because here's the thing, Kobe, and this is another one. People are gonna say, this isn't true, but it is. Kobe averaged thirty a game three times in his career, and amazingly, none of the three did they win the championship, and in fact, two of the three they didn't win a round of the playoffs. So he averaged thirty a game the year they were going for the three peat and that year they lost in Did they lose in round two? Yeah, they lost in Round two to San Antonio. I'm sorry. Not the year they're going for the three peat. They already had the three peat obviously, the year they're going for the four pat and then his two insane scoring years thirty five a game and thirty two a game. They lost in Round one both years, both years that Laker team lost in Round one, one year blowing a three to one leading round one. So those years are off the board. The next year, the year they got poal, he won MVP. He averaged twenty eight six and five, and the Lakers that year won fifty seven games. It's hard to argue that year was better than this year by Shay d Waite obviously never won an MVP. Isaiah Thomas, as great as he was, never won an MVP. Steve Nash won a couple, never made a finals.
Speaker 4: So there is.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to do West and Koozie right now, but even West, let me check because Jerry, poor Jerry West. I mean, Jerry West was one and nine in the finals and the one year he won the championship, he was not even close to his best individual season. Still pretty great, by the way, Again, I don't do people want me to do a Jerry West thing. Okay, I'll do it real quick. Jerry West again one and nine in the finals. And if that's not enough, here's Jerry West's MVP finishes fifth, fifth, fifth, third, second, didn't didn't quality, didn't get won for three years in a row, second, second, second. He finished second MVP voting three straight years while losing the finals like every year.
Speaker 3: That's pretty crazy. Voter voter fatigue must not existed at that time.
Speaker 1: No, Wilton Russell won, all of them.
Speaker 3: Kept trading off.
Speaker 2: So I feel like once those guys are in second for a long time or get those second and third spots, it comes a year and they're like, all right, we're just gonna give it to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, and listen, now, Jerry West did win finals MVP the first year they ever gave it out when they didn't win, when his team lost the finals, but no during Wes Demons, during West Prime, here's the here's the m vps, Will Russell, Russell, Russell, Oscar Russell, Will Will Will and then Unseld Reid Kareem Kareem. It was a big man's award. Oscar won it, but it was a big man's award again. So Jerry West, like, maybe point is this, if they win the championship, you can make the argument that only Magic and Michael as Guards ever had a better single season than Shay had this year. It's pretty remarkable. Uh And for okay, see, I don't really I don't really think there's too many guys that have a ton to lose, except let me all add this this.
Speaker 2: What'd you say, Jaylen Williams, Don't you think it's probably it's really important for him to perform in these finals, right, I think out of all the guys outside of Shade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do you think do you think any show like anybody's gonna kill Jalen Williams if he doesn't like I just don't. He's in that Goldilock zone that we've talked about of good enough to where he's gonna make a ton of money, but not so good to where he gets super scrutinized. Maybe though I think he's like the X factor, super important. I just don't think he's got you know, people are gonna kill him. I'll add one other person as far as who this person has the most anxiety right now, that's my that's the way to put it for Okay, see, and that's Sam Presty. So Sam Presty took over the Thunder when they were still in Seattle, Okay, and he draft like he took over right after the draft, right before he took over, right or like the week they drafted Durant. I don't the I don't know. Yeah, no, he he drafted Durant. Now that was a no brainer. Once Odin went one, Like whoever whoever didn't go one was gonna go too in the odin Durant rapid set that aside, Westbrook was not a no brainer. Pick Harden was not a no brainer. Pick a Baka was not a no brainer pick. He just crushed, absolutely crushed after coming from the Spurs, and they are just set up that it's gonna be the you know, the thunder out West for a generation, and they made the finals in twenty twelve and have not been back since and hardened they He then trades Harden probably not probably definitely his worst UH transaction as an executive. My guy Daryl got over on him and just been building, building, building, getting trying to get back to this moment.
Speaker 4: He knows as well as anyone that.
Speaker 1: There these moments can be fleeting and you've got to take advantage. By the way, if you want to know more about Sam Presty, I don't even know if you know this, Demanse, but you know who wrote a book that Sam Presty is a central character of.
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: Danny parkins, Oh, that's what's that pipeline to the pro Pipeline to the pros.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pipeline to the throat to the pros about you know, Division three, pipeline to nba gm uh. That's a great book. People can get it on Amazon or wherever you get your books. Free plug for Danny's Book