Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain.
Speaker 2: Where if you thought my birthday celebrations ended yesterday, well you thought wrong, way wrong birthday month, bitches.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, I celebrate LEO season year round.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday, August nineteenth, and on today's show, in honor of my birthday yesterday, plus Bianca's birthday last week and producer Alex's half birthday on the seventeenth, we're skipping the need to Know and doing a special Big Citrus Birthday episode. We discuss our top highlights from the last year, set goals for our next journey around the Sun, and go deep on the difference between openness and vulnerability. Plus, I give Alex and Bianca a pop quiz and we answer your ask us anything questions. Be warned there's a lot of charred talk. It's coming up right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, everybody, Alex, Bianca, get in here.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, hello again.
Speaker 2: All right, since Pianca's birthday was just August tenth, my birthday is August eighteenth, and Alex's was February seventeenth, which is not a LEO birthday and isn't really any time near now, but it is Michael Jordan's birthday, and we're very close to her half birthday, so we are counting this as our special Big Citrus Birthday episode. And we thought it might be fun to ask the birthday questions that my friends Bama and Drew ask of each other and their friends every single year, and then answer some birthday questions unrelated to birthdays. We just said, ask us anything in celebration of our birthdays.
Speaker 1: From all you slices.
Speaker 2: So I want to start with the three questions that my two good friends ask each other and their friends at birthday get togethers and dinners every year, which is a nice way to look back and look forward. They are your top three highlights of the past year. Three things you want to do in the next birthday year. One thing you would like to redo, either because it's a good memory from the year you'd like to do again, or a good life us and learned.
Speaker 1: We don't have to do three. We can keep it simple.
Speaker 2: We'll do one or two whatever you know strikes you. So, Bianka, I think I know the answer to this one. But let's start with you and a top highlight of the past year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big life moment for me in the past year, I got engaged.
Speaker 5: It's impossible to say anything other than that, I that was a huge highlight.
Speaker 1: Yay, I love that, Alex. What about you?
Speaker 6: Going to the Olympics obviously easily my favorite Olympics that I have covered or traveled to, so absolutely a winner. My other two are less like singular events, but just doing a shit ton of improv with some of my favorite people in the world up in New Hampshire. I never thought that I would do improv in New Hampshire. I didn't think improvit existed in New Hampshire.
Speaker 3: So I just am.
Speaker 6: Thankful every single day, and then finally just doing a lot of fun art stuff. I got back into drawing again, which has been so fun.
Speaker 3: So those are my three.
Speaker 2: Mine was all so the Olympics because I've never covered an Olympics and that was just like the most insane, amazing experience and opportunity. So again, thank you Alex for suggesting that we cover it and doing all the legwork to make.
Speaker 1: Sure it was such an amazing trip.
Speaker 2: The second one is like a little bit more introspective, and I would say that ever since we started the show, I have loved it so much, but also been clinging to this like former identity as ESPN Sarah Spain, which is also not helped by the fact that every time I do an interview for this show, they still put the headline as ESPN Sarah Spain, even though I tell them that the show is on Iart and that's my main employer now and that's what the article's about.
Speaker 6: Even I got identified as an ESPN reporter Sarah.
Speaker 5: Thank you too.
Speaker 2: You did when we did a story with the AP and the photographer came out to snap us on the side of a mountain in Italy and then tagged us both as ESPN's Sarah Spane and Alex Assi and we were like neither but and I loved my time there, and I still work with the SBNW and I have so many great memories. But it's very hard to let go of an identity like that. And this year I really stepped into like this is better, you know, like this is actually better. Like I feel like I'm doing what I should be doing. I feel like I'm covering and talking about the things that I'm really passionate about, and I'm doing something really meaningful that people want. And I can now say like with certainty like this is better as opposed to just like, oh I'm figuring it out, or like I found something else great or I love both.
Speaker 1: It's like this.
Speaker 2: Actually feels like I'm in this like groove, and a lot of it is just that, like the people in women's sports and the people I get to hang out all the time are people I really respect and respect me back, and that like means a lot. Sometimes in the men's sports world, it was always swimming upstreaming, trying to you know, bug people enough to get them to talk about things I cared about or to just not be shitty. And this is instead like a whole bunch of awesome people working together. And so that was really nice this year to be like, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: Doing what a should be doing.
Speaker 5: Oh I love that, Sarah for you, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's the good place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the good place.
Speaker 2: And it was also many good places I got to go to for the show that was like, holy shit, how is this like my life? You know, Okay, something you want to do in the next birthday year, I'm gonna start with this one. I have literally a million because, as you guys know, I pack a lifetime into like a month. I'm like never not doing something. I am never relaxing, and I always have a billion things I want to do. But in the next birthday year, my big one is I would like to go to South America for the first time and go to Brazil for the Women's World Cup.
Speaker 1: So that is my big one for the next birthday year.
Speaker 3: Speak it into existence.
Speaker 1: That's right, and it's.
Speaker 2: Worked before, so sponsors, friends, listeners, I would like to cover the World Cup in Brazil, Alex, what about you.
Speaker 6: I don't know how to differentiate these goals from my twenty twenty six bingo card, which guys, I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing real great right now.
Speaker 6: I still haven't made a loaf of bread, but I did a late day over the weekend, so I got to check that box off, So I'm doing great. So I don't know if I want to add to that, Like I'm pretty happy, but I'm also worried that now I don't sound ambitious enough, Like do you really not have any additional goals for the next year's Oh, Alex, No, No.
Speaker 1: That's totally fine.
Speaker 2: I think it depends too on like whether intentions are like often do something, do something regularly, or if it's like one big thing. So if there is one big like Brazil's not my intention for the year, but it's what I want to do. But if you don't have one of those, I think just continuing to check off your Bingo card works.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, oh can't.
Speaker 4: You did an entire Bingo card, so there's a lot on there, Like you don't have to have more than an entire Bingo card, exactly.
Speaker 1: Bank Good about you, well, Sarah.
Speaker 4: I would love to go to the World Cup as well, so see you there maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now I'm feeling like I need to say it if I want to.
Speaker 4: Take it to Brazil as well, exactly, Alex is your one and only chance to put it out.
Speaker 1: In the universe.
Speaker 3: I want to go to the World Cup.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 4: We'll replay this hopefully in about eight months from now and with tickets in our hands.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would love to travel more, both for the show and personally. I am going to go to Mexico for the first time in the next year, which I'm very excited about. So yeah, traveling internationally but also more locally. I love just you know, going to different towns in different local beaches that I haven't been to before that are like new to me. It's like, what does this main street look like?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 4: Like I love finding stuff out like that and just going into little stores and things.
Speaker 5: So just getting out in the world. I love that, you know what.
Speaker 6: Bianca is a great way to hold yourself accountable. A bingo card.
Speaker 2: I put cute little towns all around Boston on a card and then cross them off when you visit them able. I will be in Mexico in the next year too, something you guys don't know about, but I will be going back to that Out of the Blue music festival that I went to one time before and we had to coordinate our show around me being gone because I was scalvanching around Mexico with Mount.
Speaker 1: Joy and Noa Khan, and I will be doing that again. So there we go. Just the heads up that you might get some extra days off in the new year. Right my obsession with live music. Okay, last one.
Speaker 2: One thing you would like to redo, either because it's a good memory you'd like to do again, or it was a good lesson learned.
Speaker 1: Let's start with you, Alex.
Speaker 6: I think i'd go back to the women's gol Metal hockey game at the Olympics, and I said this on the show at the time, but we did two laps around the arena before the game and it was just so cool to feel the energy in that building, so many Canadian fans, American fans, everyone in their jerseys. There are certain things where it's like you want to live in the moment for just a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: M I love that Bianca.
Speaker 4: I would relive so many things over the past year, which feels great to say. It's it was a really good year for me personally and professionally. One thing that I did that was new that I want to keep doing was just being bad at new things like and not letting that be a reason to turn away and even like leaning into that because it's fun to learn new things, and what a great place to start being bad at something like that. That's a perfect place to start. So I definitely want to keep doing that. A specific thing that I would want to relive.
Speaker 5: Because it was so good.
Speaker 4: For Thanksgiving last year, me and my partner went to like a beach just in New England. It was like off season, not a lot of people around coastal, small town, you know, super cute and it was just so relaxing, and it was the best things ge I've had in a long time.
Speaker 5: And that's how I want to spend Thanksgiving every year.
Speaker 6: Before we move on, Bianca, I want to go back to you being bad at new things, because I have.
Speaker 3: Proof that Bianca is doing this.
Speaker 6: When we were at WNBA All Star, she told me that despite not playing basketball since eighth grade, she goes out and shoots hoops regularly.
Speaker 4: Cute, I do, I do, And we we got on this topic because I was like, wow, we were at the three point contest and I was like, it is crazy how many three pointers they're making in ninety seconds or whatever it is. Because when I leave the court, I'm like, I have to make ten free throws.
Speaker 5: That's like my final thing that I do.
Speaker 4: And the amount of time that it takes me compared to the three point contest.
Speaker 1: Just that's amazing.
Speaker 6: I did like an audio version of a double take when Bianca said that, because I think I was like, you mean when you were young and you were taking free throws and she's.
Speaker 3: Like, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: When I'm like at the park by myself taking free throws to the summer.
Speaker 2: Cute that I really really am into I did a whole episode of my old podcast about adults trying new things and being bad at them and understanding that accepting only things you're proficient at is a really easy way to close the door on new experiences and things that you.
Speaker 1: Might fall in love with. So I love that. I too. When I thought about this, there's like eight bajillion things this year that I would redo.
Speaker 2: It's been out of control, insane, so awesome and joyful. So I went with the lesson learned because I had this life epiphany this year. And this is going to sound very dorky, but this is sort of like a window into the things I really like doing. I really like having very deep, meaningful conversations with people, Like at the end of the night in your twenties, when half the room is passed out and there's like two people left and we're like getting into it.
Speaker 1: That's like I love that.
Speaker 2: And so when I went Unrivaled in Philly, Colaine, who's mentioned often on the show Super Slice, Colaen told me, like, you want to crash in our airbnb, we have extra room. Just to let you know, my friends and I are taking a couple hours the day after the game to redo one of my work retreat activities in an individual way instead of in a corporate way, to get to the heart of what's going on in our lives and careers right now, if you want to do that, And I.
Speaker 1: Was like, that sounds fucking awesome, And so.
Speaker 2: Klaane literally had mapped out three different, like really thought provoking activities using like cards of like the things that are most meaningful to you and the goals and all this other stuff. And during that conversation around that, I realized this thing that I have tried to wrestle with for a really long time, where I always thought I was vulnerable, But it turns out I'm open and vulnerable and open are very different things. Open is I've already decided how I feel about something. I'm in control of how I react and respond to it and feel about it, and then I'll tell you anything about it. And vulnerable is I haven't yet figured out all those things, and I'm still willing to tell you about it. And it turns out I am not vulnerable, and I am working on it and it's a lifelong goal. I have like control issues around you know, emotions or weakness, I hate when people feel sad for me or pity or worry about me, or in any way feeling anything other than like joy, and like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just want to be in control of.
Speaker 2: Things so that I don't give bad vibes to anyone or make them sad or make them feel sad for me. And sometimes I need to be willing to like be taken care of or like let people in if I'm not feeling great before I have it all figured out. But I was always like, I'm super vulnerable. I'll talk about anything, and I realized I only do that when I I've already decided how I feel about it and how my emotions will be when I talk about it.
Speaker 6: So can I ask a clarification question on your vulnerability? Yeah, I'm curious when you talk about like the things that you don't have figured out. Are you talking about like your opinion or your thoughts on something versus like your ability to do something?
Speaker 1: No, it's like emotional.
Speaker 2: So like when I was making the transition from full time at ESPN and it was like totally unexpected, and the one dude was like, we're just not going to renew you two weeks notice after thirteen years, Like, I did not want anyone to feel bad for me. I didn't want to feel pitied. I didn't want to get emotional about it. I wanted to figure out what my next step was, how I was going to can crush it and show him he was.
Speaker 1: Wrong, and then I was willing to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Or like I had a pair of friends who asked me to officiate their wedding and I almost started crying, and I like, hit it, which is dumb, Like why wouldn't I just like make them realize how much it meant to me that they asked me to do that. But I didn't expect to cry. So then I was like, whoa, I didn't choose this. I'm in control of you emotions. And so it's more like that, like when I respond unexpectedly or have an emotion that I haven't decided to feel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I think it's really interesting. I love this epiphany of yours because I think about the types of stories that we love as humankind, and it's like the stories of people running into an obstacle and overcoming it. But so often those stories are presented in the rear view mirror, where it's like this thing that happened to me, and so by the time that they're telling it and you're hearing it, it's all been figured out. And so to be able to share it in the moment when the things aren't figured out, I think is a really interesting idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suck at that. I'm really bad, really bad.
Speaker 2: I have to wait till everything looks sunny again, and then I'm like, oh, let me tell.
Speaker 1: You about this bad time. But don't worry, everything's great now.
Speaker 4: I definitely have friends like that, where they'll you know, come to me and it's like this has been happening over the past two months, and now it's like this. I'm like, why weren't we talking five weeks ago? But I've never thought of that, the difference between open and vulnerable.
Speaker 2: So well, I figured I would share it in case it helps anyone else with an epiphany.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think it will for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, now that this is a therapy session, which, as it turns out I just shared, is my best kind.
Speaker 1: Of birthday party.
Speaker 2: It's just a real deep, thoughtful conversation that everyone else wants to leave and go drink.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break, and when we come back we'll do some questions from use license.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to our big Citrus Birthday extravaganza. Let's turn this boat back in the right direction. Maybe some joyful questions, maybe some funny questions, maybe some silly questions. First comes from Amanda Valo, super Slice, who I was so close to getting to meet in Denver when I was there, and then because I was on vacation and trying not to overplan, we ran out of time. So Amanda, I promise I'm coming out for a Denver Summit game and we will meet in person. So here's Amanda's question.
Speaker 7: Jeka, I understand that you are in Ohio University bobcat a school known for its Halloween, epic Halloween celebrations. So my question is if you were to go to say Fletch Navidad Trashy Christmas, what costume would you wear?
Speaker 2: So, first of all, I had no idea that Ohio University was known for Halloween celebrations.
Speaker 1: That's super fun and oh ye jealous of that?
Speaker 3: Tell us more.
Speaker 4: Well, there's only so much that I will share. But this question did have me going back in time and thinking of my Halloween costumes from college.
Speaker 5: And there were a couple of good ones, couple not so good ones.
Speaker 1: Name a good one.
Speaker 5: All Right.
Speaker 4: It's kind of cringe because I was a journalism student, and I guess that was a really big part of my identity. I mean it still is, but I was bad news, so I like made a little dingup out of newspaper and then dressed up otherwise. I guess what I determined to be quote unquote bad, which basically meant like black leather.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh like bad, like bad to the bone.
Speaker 5: Yes, like bad to the bone, but news.
Speaker 2: Love that My sister was once holy shit and she was all brown and had a halo, so that was sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, So.
Speaker 2: She wants to know what you'd be at Fletch Navydad, she said, trashy. There was one year that was that my husband I A dressed as like trashy Christmas. But let's just go big picture Christmas costume you would wear if you came to my Fletch Navy DoD dog birthday slash Christmas party.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my favorite part of Christmas, kind of what you were just talking about, Sarah, is like sitting around talking to family, and usually at our Christmases, that's sitting right by the fire, so I would come as fire because that.
Speaker 5: Is the best U lost for me. Yes, a yule log, Yes, amazing.
Speaker 1: I love that. Amanda had a question for me too.
Speaker 7: Who are your top three Saturday Night Live cast members of all times? And can you I know you can do the splits, but can you do the Sally O'Malley leg kick?
Speaker 1: Amanda?
Speaker 2: That's a mean question. It is so hard to whittle it down to three. So I'm going to go top of my head because otherwise I will be here for years. Eddie Murphy is always my number one, and in fact, if you go back into the history books, Eddie Murphy saved the show.
Speaker 1: It was going to get pulled off the air. He came on and it was Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 2: Best of saited at Live was the thing I watched over and over and over again as a child, very deeply inappropriately.
Speaker 1: But that's why I am me.
Speaker 2: Amy Poehler improv legend just incredible. And then I gotta go Kate McKinnon because for people who just make me lie snort out the nose, just the alien schedulelone would be enough.
Speaker 1: There's so many. I mean, Will Farrell, I mean then that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say those three, even though there's like eight million other answers I could give.
Speaker 1: Can I do this Salio Maley leg kick? Obviously?
Speaker 2: In fact, a couple of years ago, my husband and I, speaking of costumes, were Alan and Weird Barbie, and if you remember, Kate McKinnon as Weird Barbie would put her leg over her head and I can do that. I can just like hold my leg up over my head with my arm. So we did that in all the photos and Brad awkwardly stood like allan, So yes, the answer is yes, high kicks, rockets.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad to hear you say Kate MacKinnon because I am a big mckinn fan, and.
Speaker 5: I do feel like she gets left out of a lot of people's.
Speaker 2: Top threes' Just incredible. I mean Kristen wigg too.
Speaker 1: That's enough.
Speaker 5: No, we're done. I know we're done.
Speaker 1: But I did get to meet Kate McKinnon at the S and L after party. I went too, since Dallas, me too, me too.
Speaker 2: And after Amanda left that message, she actually called back with one last question she.
Speaker 8: Thought of, if you get the interview with Michael Jordan or when you get the interview with Michael Jordan, what is one of the big questions that you want to ask him?
Speaker 2: So it's weird that I've talked about how much I would like to interview him, and I haven't actually sat down and thought about what I would ask him. It's just more that I think he hasn't been excavated the way that someone of his quality and historical presence should be. But the thing that immediately comes to mind, because this is something I talk about a lot about him, is how do you reconcile the fact that the thing that made you so good at what you do for a living might not be a thing that makes you happy when you're done with that work. Because his relentless competitiveness drove him so hard, but he can't seem to find an outlet that scratches that. It's the same way post retirement. And I think that's a really big challenge for all athletes, but especially so if that's what really drove him throughout. And I remember hearing Max Kellerman on my friend Dan Levittard's show once say, like for first take, it was like a three hour show, so they had to like just talk talk, talk, talk, talk and then he would get home to dinner with his wife and that would be how he would be, and he'd realized, like that that skill set is not a skill set he should take home. And I think about that sometimes too, Like sometimes it's just like, oh, my job as a journalist doesn't mean it's always fun for everyone else.
Speaker 1: When I'm like and then what and did you do this? Wait?
Speaker 2: Let me clarify that, Like, and it's just the way my brain works. I just like want to know that or ask follow up.
Speaker 1: And sometimes people are like, just hang.
Speaker 2: Out, you know, So I'd be like, Michael is that problem but writ very very very large, and I would like to talk to him about how he handles that. I like that, all right, Sean Quinn, who is another super slice that I have a question for.
Speaker 1: Sarah.
Speaker 2: I loved reading Runs in the Family. Do you think you'll write another book? Thank you Runs in the Family. You can purchase it online or at your favorite bookstore. That is the book I wrote. I would yes, I think almost certainly I will write more books in my lifetime. I have one that's like my own little life story book, like Vignettess, the way that Amy Pohler and Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling's books are where each chapter is like a little chunk of something, So that's in me somewhere. And I do think, especially later in life, when I slow down and I live on my hobby farm with all of my animals, I will try to just be a author of books for a living so I can spend more time in nature and hanging out with the animals and less time reading the news or being on the internet in any way.
Speaker 1: But I don't have a book on the docket right now, but I will absolutely have another one a tease.
Speaker 2: Yes, feel free to submit you know what you want me to write about, if you've got a story, happy to hear.
Speaker 6: I just remember when we started the show, Sarah, you were still in the middle of working on your book, but producer Mesh and I at the time, like didn't actually know what you were writing about, and I think I maybe assumed it was women's sports, and then I found out it was about men and men's sports and football and family, and I remember being like, okay, like like surely, like fascinating story.
Speaker 5: But like.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we do have to write about men too. We don't have to. Sometimes we choose to when the story is really good.
Speaker 3: The story has to be really good, which your book is.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We got another voicemail. This one is from Sarah in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 9: What's up, good game? This is Sarah from Salt Lake City, home of the Champion Utah Talents, and I have a question for the question show, and it is this Sarah's name. If you woke up tomorrow and you were able to have a singing voice of one of these three artists, which one would you pick? First option Taylor Swift, Second option Brandy Carlisle. Third option Brittany Howard. I would love to know which one you'd like. I want to throw a Dave Matthews in there, but like, I don't know. If you feel like you'd like to have Dave Matthews singing voice when you wake up, that one works too. That's an alternative option. But what artist would you want to inherit the voice of when you.
Speaker 1: Wake up tomorrow?
Speaker 9: Thanks for everything you guys do.
Speaker 1: Cheers Sarah. This is a great question.
Speaker 2: I do not want to wake up with Dave Matthews singing voice, unless it's because he's lying next to me in bed singing to me.
Speaker 5: And that is a.
Speaker 1: CMI, but I love Dave Matthews And I just.
Speaker 2: Reposted this meme that this comedian woman did of like celebrities you'd be surprised to find will blow your back out, and it was about Dave Matthews, and I was like, only surprising for you, honey.
Speaker 1: Ever since I first saw dance live.
Speaker 2: In like nineteen ninety nine, I've been I've been no one anyway. I would this is a birthday, we're just sharing things about ourselves.
Speaker 1: I would pick Brandy Carlyle.
Speaker 2: I mean, Taylor swid is one of the greatest songwriters of all time. She's not known for like her vocal dexterity, even though it's obviously incredible. Brittany Howard's voice is.
Speaker 1: Like an instrument.
Speaker 2: She can truly choose how to use it, as if it's different parts of an orchestra, and it's incredible and powerful. But man, when Brandy Carlyle decides to let it rip, that roar that she has and that break in her voice that she uses with intention is like it like breaks you open when you hear it. And I love her so much and my husband is taking me to see her for my birthday, so that is a good tea up that I would I mean, anybody in the world to be Whitney Houston obviously is the greatest voice of all time, but Brandy Carlyle would be pretty amazing. Also, I want you to know how insufferable I would be if I sounded like Brandy Carlyle. I would be singing the entire show, like I would never talk.
Speaker 1: So it's a good thing for the world.
Speaker 5: So you'd be a singer.
Speaker 2: If I could do anything in life, I would be a singer. Really, even more than Saturday Night Live. Yeah, oh god. I love music so much, and I used to sing never like Brandy Carlyle. And then I had surgery on my vocal cords and I had to stop. I was like training an opera and ship, which I didn't want to do opera. I wanted to do either Broadway or like indie stuff. And then I wasn't probably good enough anyway. But it just makes me sad now when I want to sing, and I have very limited range because my vocal notes came back like within.
Speaker 1: A year of the surgery.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And that's why I sound like a phone sex operator.
Speaker 6: I can't believe that we are five hundred and twenty episodes in and I am just now learning that your greatest aspiration in life was to be.
Speaker 1: A singer that in Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 2: But I would have used my singing on Saturday Night Live like in the sketches, I would have been all the different musical.
Speaker 6: Characters before I moved too far past.
Speaker 3: Dave Matthews.
Speaker 6: I just have to say my Dave Matthew's dream is for Ben and Jerry's to bring his ice cream flavor back, because it is the best ice cream flavor of all time, hands down.
Speaker 5: Wait tell me about it.
Speaker 6: It was black raspberry ice cream swirled with sweet cream ice cream and fudgy brownies.
Speaker 3: It was so good. I remember in.
Speaker 6: Seventh grade I would go and I would get a pint of it, and I hated seventh grade.
Speaker 3: But Dave Matthew's magic brownies made it all better.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: My favorite used to be Bovinity Divinity, and they got rid of that, and it was like milk chocolate with dark cows in it, and then like light dark trunckle with light cows or something. Anyway, Dave Matthews gives us so much. Speaking of music, Doug Ratcliffe and other Super Slice had a couple questions for US perfect Music Festival weekend headliner lineup. Let's assume it was a three day festival, so your Friday, Saturday, Sunday headliners.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you that some.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker made an AI fest that was entirely fake, and I swear to god, they were in my brain.
Speaker 1: I sent it to my friend and I was like, oh my god, this is crazy, this is so awesome.
Speaker 2: It's like, that's not real, and I'm like, but how did they get in my brain?
Speaker 1: And it was Noah Cohn.
Speaker 2: Lumineers and Mumford and Sons, and then it had like Camp and Gregory All and Isaacov and Mountjoy and like all these other bands.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift would be in there.
Speaker 2: Dave Matthews, I mean, it's too hard, it's honestly, Doug, that's an unfair question.
Speaker 1: It's almost harder than the SNL question.
Speaker 2: So I've just named a handful of them. Do y'all have ones that popped to mind?
Speaker 4: Well, mine are so different from each other, Like if I think about my three favorite artists, they're so different.
Speaker 5: They're such different genres.
Speaker 4: Like I love Little Sims who's a British rapper.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love Rufus Wainwright, who's like an opera and pop and singer songwriter. I love Lake Street Dive, who has a bit of a jazzy feel.
Speaker 1: I've seen them a couple of times.
Speaker 5: Great live, yeah, really good live. I love a banjo okay.
Speaker 1: Well blue grass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it would be a strange music festival, but it would be great.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 6: I actually loved your lineup, Sarah. So I would be at that festival. Okay, great, you could get a ticket, you know. I would say Momford and Sons would probably definitely be in my top three, along with the National, and then I would I've never seen Taylor Swift, so I would just like to see Taylor Swift and to like be part of that community. Yes, not that I necessarily always. I don't want to like have stolen valor of being a Swift ye I'm not, But I just want to be part of it.
Speaker 3: For a day.
Speaker 2: It's incredible to be a part of I did tea up today's show as ask me anything and ask bank anything because it's our Leo birthdays and so Doug also had a question for you, Banko what's your favorite hobby or hobbies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I love gardening in the summer. I love, like I was talking about earlier, going to little towns near me that are new to me and just seeing what their main streets about.
Speaker 5: I love to cook. I love to run or go on a bike ride.
Speaker 4: I mean really just like slow process things like you know.
Speaker 1: Simple pleasures.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I don't even during a lot.
Speaker 4: Of these hobbies, I don't even put on a podcast or music every single time because it's just like I just want my hands to be in the dirt, you know, I just want to be thinking about this one weed that's in front of me, and that's it.
Speaker 5: Just kind of things that helped me unplug.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's great.
Speaker 2: Speaking of gardening, Marcus Sisson had some questions for you, because when I posted the first request for Amaba, it was you holding these giant charred stocks, and I think it inspired some thoughts. Let's just start with which athlete represents the vegetable you're holding in that photo.
Speaker 4: Right, And the vegetable in the photo was rainbow chart and I have to come clean that that was my garden neighbor who grew that rainbow Chard, So shout out to Sylvia.
Speaker 3: But none of us would have known if you had taken credit for.
Speaker 1: More stole Impeller. You're a charty.
Speaker 4: I'm always honest, but I was thinking, you know, it's just an exceptionally healthy food rainbow chart, and so in honor of that, I'm gonna go with Nifisa Collier because damn, now that she's back and healthy.
Speaker 1: Is she playing well?
Speaker 4: But I could also do any gay player because of the rainbow.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say rapino homes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: And then somebody also asked about favorite use for that beautiful chart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And somebody also specifically asked if I slice up the charred stocks, and so I'll tell you them with the onion and garlic for about ten minutes before you put the leaves in.
Speaker 5: Anything. Yeah, that is a great method. I have done that.
Speaker 4: And then if you're making soup, you know you put the stocks in before the leaves as well. I don't have a specific charred recipe, but I would just direct you to Hetty Lou McKinnon, who is my favorite just about you know, my favorite cookbook author and chef of all time, but particularly for vegetables.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like a fortata. I make a forritata with my husband's homegrown chart. And also there's a couple of good chickpea charred pasta recipes that I make with some Swiss chard. All right, now that we've concluded our gardening podcast, we're going to take one last break and one come back. Our good game play at the day is a surprise question for Bianca and Alix, inspired by someone we have already mentioned during this Q and A session.
Speaker 3: Kate McKinnon.
Speaker 10: Is she coming on to say, Hi, welcome back Slices.
Speaker 2: We always love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too.
Speaker 1: So here's our good game play of the day.
Speaker 2: And today I'm turning the tables on the other two members of Big Citrus and giving them a little slice work.
Speaker 1: It's immediate, it's a pop quiz. Your slice work will be.
Speaker 5: Handed in right now.
Speaker 2: I was listening to Megan or Pina's new podcast Why Are You Like This? And I was just noodling over that question, and I think it's so funny because you can take it seriously. You can be super introspective, you can mean like what or I know exactly what you mean when you ask why are you like this? And so my question for you is in basically a sentence or less. It could be three words, it could be one sentence, It could be separated by a couple of commas, because there's a few reasons.
Speaker 1: But why are you like this? Bianca?
Speaker 4: The first thing that comes to mind is four words, because I'm a journalist, like Sarah when you were talking earlier about asking follow up questions and listening to friends and just you know, getting to the bottom of it, like I am very much that way with my friends too. I love to just sit down and hear everything that's going on and ask about the aunt of the friend, of the sister of the cousin, you know, like people who I have no business really caring about or knowing about.
Speaker 5: But I'm always asking questions.
Speaker 4: And similar to you too, I have learned, you know what, sometimes roll it back Hillier, stop press those But that's that's the first thing that comes to mind, Alex, why are.
Speaker 1: You like this?
Speaker 6: I feel like if I'm trying to sum up both my work personality and my friendship personality and my hobby personality, it all comes back to.
Speaker 3: How and why things happen.
Speaker 6: Like I love just being able to like chase down a rabbit hole and see things connected. And yeah, I think that goes from my hobbies too, of like trying to get to like the very beginning of whatever I'm doing and to be able to immerse myself in it.
Speaker 3: And I feel the same way about women's sports too.
Speaker 4: Oh that's I love that answer, Alex, because that's I totally see that for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, mine is a little bit more comprehensive. When I was thinking about asking you guys this question, I was like, what would my answer be? But it does start the same, which is had more time to think about it. I did have a little more time, but yes, because I'm the professor, so it's not a pop quiz for me to prep for it. The first part is the same as yours, which is like curious and like curiosity drives like all of it, and gratitude. So curiosity and gratitude are like the foundation of who I am. But why am I like this is because of that. And then my parents are lawyers. I was too tall and too awkward when I was young, so I had to be funny. And I think that I might have traces of cocaine in my bloodstream.
Speaker 3: More details, more details.
Speaker 2: That is the answer for what I said earlier about packing an entire year into a month, Like I don't really have to rest, I don't have to recharge. I am always up for anything. I talk a lot and think I'm awesome.
Speaker 1: Cocaine.
Speaker 2: I just like my like my friend's parents literally will be like we are on Sarah's Instagram.
Speaker 1: Like does she do drugs?
Speaker 5: How does she do it?
Speaker 1: Like just do you ever get tired? When does she sleep? Does she stay home?
Speaker 2: And my friends are like, she literally has never done any drugs. She like has cocaine in her bloodstream. So yeah, my parents are lawyers. I had to be funny because I was tall and awkward. I'm grateful and curious and I probably have traces of cocaine in my bloodstream and that I'm like this, Well.
Speaker 4: I know we're at the end of our conversation, but thanks so much, Sarah, because now I'm going to go psychoanalyze why am I the way I am for the next three hours.
Speaker 5: Me too.
Speaker 6: I actually started thinking back to an experience I had when I was a kid where I walked into the University of New Hampshire Athletic Facility, and they had the Patty Kasmia Award for the Women's Hockey Player of the Year next to the Hoby Baker for the men's Hockey Player of the Year, and the Hoby Baker is so much bigger than Patti Kasmeyer, and I'm like, that's why I'm like.
Speaker 2: This, that's why like this there you go, yes, story, yeah, yeah, or me being like when I was eight, like, well, there isn't a woman president by the time I'm old enough, I guess I'll just do it. Not interested, but that seems like that would beckd up, so I'll sign up for it, which I haven't.
Speaker 6: Okay At Sarah Spain twenty h I think you're a little bit late to us our.
Speaker 2: Forty something years to be prime president age. Absolutely sadly, we always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review slices. It really helps the show and it's so easy watch get in that bag and helping your teammate get it too. Rating one of one new sponsorship review. Caitlin Clark is currently leading the WNBA and assists per game, but after the Indiana Fevers win against the Dallas Wings Friday, the point guard recorded an extra assist.
Speaker 1: In the team's press conference.
Speaker 2: As Clark and bellowguard Ty Harris were taking their seats at the presser table, Harris could be heard asking why do y'all superstars be doing that as Clark moved a can of ollipop off the table and onto the floor. The reason. While the Indiana Fever has an official partnership with Ollipop, Clark doesn't. After that exchange, Ollipop tweeted at Harris girl Let's Chat, to which Harris replied, oop, hey, and while we're on the topic of Ollipop sponsoring stuff, let me give an assist to produce Alex.
Speaker 1: She'd like it to be known to the world that she does drink.
Speaker 2: Ollipop and we know they're already in the Women's Sports podcast spas thanks to Sam Muis and the Women's Games. So hint, hint, Ollipop. Now it's your turn, y'all rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Good games. Slices who asked us questions.
Speaker 2: Good Game digging deep to keep learning about yourself no matter how old you are. You trying to pick favorite SNL cast members and music acts.
Speaker 1: That's straight up unfair.
Speaker 2: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery Loftus and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain