Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome in.
Speaker 2: I'm Doug Gottlieb, and you are listening to All Ball, and I find our next guest or our next couple of pods to be perfect for, among other things, this time of year, you know, one of the things that you're hearing or you're actually seeing as I'm watching highlights from the NBL, which of course you're going down to Australia and parts of New Zealand, or some of these young basketball players instead of playing college basketball or overtime Elite or the G League ignite, they're they're taking their talents down there and using that as a prep to the NBA. I find it fascinating to see so many avoiding the college experience. Now, there's a lot that goes into the college experience. There's a lot that goes into or why I think college athletics, college basketball in particular is still in incredibly valuable for so many, even the most talented athletes. And the argument that well, they're not getting paid, that argument has been made moot. But why not bring on a guest who's experienced the life of late bloomer athletically, a late bloomer in basketball who went through the college process who played some in the NBA but really made it a name for himself playing overseas, and what that is entirely like, what that lifestyle is like, and what the lifestyle is like of making it to the NBA in the juxtaposition of the two. Pat Burke is going to be my guest the next couple podcasts. Pat's the first ever Irish born player to play in the NBA. Of course, he grew up mostly in the States, and you'll get to hear his story. There's a lot in this right It's the story of a kid late to basketball, the story of a kid who was finally coached the right way for his personality, for his mentality, for his development. The story of a guy who didn't believe him in himself many times over and then when he did, maybe got a little bit too full of himself. There's a lot of meat on this boat. Here's part one with former European basketball star and of course played with the Orlando Magic and the Phoenix Suns. The graduate of the University of Auburn at Burke. Pat, Let's let's start, okay, So you know when you when anybody like Google searches you, that doesn't remember he's to play, like, oh, well he's Irish, but you actually, you know, born in Ireland, but played played high school basketball in the States, and of course went to school at Auburn. Give me the give me the true picture of born raised, what your early childhood life was like.
Speaker 3: So my family left Ireland when I was four. We moved to Cleveland, Ohio, and like I'd say, like any typical Irish culture or any any immigrant family that comes in, I think we were a little shy to go into sports right away. And I think my I said, my initial organized sports experience was I was sitting in our kitchen in Cleveland and my aunt, my dad's sister, actually brought my cousin David into the kitchen with him, and then she just started talking about and signed them up for ice hockey. And I can just remember like the room went completely quiet, Like my dad like looked up from probably his little cup of tea, like what are you talking about? Like how are we going to get involved in ice hockey? And so then the next focus was my aunt Patricia asked me, She said, pat would you like to play? And I looked up at my parents and they said, you know, you can if you want. And I went and started playing ice hockey for and they started playing for about eight years.
Speaker 2: Amazing. What you know, it's your family, you know, and you immigrating over here. It's almost like a throwback to the stories of like my grandparents and great grandparents. In terms of your experience. What is that experience like of being an immigrant family in Cleveland, Ohio? Shoot me the picture of your childhood, because I'm my mind is going in different places. I wonder what it's like.
Speaker 3: So I let you say. The menu was completely Irish. A lot of Irish stew a lot of shepherds by we stayed, I'd say, unto ourselves, a lot of Irish family. So family, get toghere.
Speaker 2: It was where in Cleveland side I grew.
Speaker 3: I grew up in really three towns from Bay Village, Rocky River, and Avon Lake, so west side of Cleveland. My dad got into you know, construction, landscaping. He opened up a you know a number of different businesses at that time. I remember anything that was going on in school, bake sales. My mom was bringing it, not chocolate chip cookies like all the other American kids. We had scones. A lot of kids going you know, what the hell are those? Yeah, just very Irish, you know. As a kid just going back and forth to Ireland. Vacations were not you know, going out west, not going to Hawaii, not going to California, not going to Florida. We were going back to Ireland pretty much every vacation. We had to go visit family. When relatives came over, we all got in the car, you know, met them at the gate as soon as they got out. It was just all the aunts and uncles and my parents. I remember looking at my grandparents their uncles coming over and just worrying if they brought over Irish sausages and making and all that good stuff on their carry on. So yeah, so a lot of it was you know, we joined Irish heritage clubs, so a lot of the culture was not just reinforced through getting together, but through music and just celebrating you know, Irish heritage. Even sports, if people don't know, a lot of Irish sports is really onto itself as well. All the most popular sports are in the Gaelic Athletic Association. There's the Irish football, which is much different than American football, and then hurling and so whenever they have the all Ireland like the it would be like the epitome of the Super Bowl for the United States. I remember at that time, VHS tapes would show up, and they were different versions of VHS. So I remember, like we go down into my uncle's basement like a television was turned upside down with some sort of connection to see a scrambled black and white video of someone's scoring a goal from my dad's county or something, and everyone's screaming. So yeah, so it was. It was probably a lot a lot more different than most of my friends in our neighborhood and what we experienced.
Speaker 2: It's interesting the hockey element because when you became widely considered the best center in Europe, right, you know, later on in life, a lot of it was about your moved exception. Well, and it's interesting because a lot of the I don't want to get into this kind of a little bit further, a lot of the reason European bigs have kind of taken over. I think there's a lot of different reasons, but one is, as you know, play soccer for practice, right in terms of agility, how much do you think the hockey helped you in terms of your basketball and your movement for man your size.
Speaker 3: I'd say, well, a lot of the So let's just say there's the tactical and the technical. So the technical side of things I played as a kid, so I probably didn't study tapes or anything on any greats like Wayne Gretzkiray thing. So the tactical side of things would have been, you know, understanding, you know where to be on defense, uh, you know, again, supporting the team, knowing how to play even I mean the terminology wasn't help side, but understanding, you know, kind of the the different spart the different parts of strategy inside of the game would have been. But again is on the on the physical side, you know, yes I had size, but I remember the transition into basketball, different muscle groups. You know, there was no vertical jump there. It was just you know, flat, just not being able to barely touch the rim at the time and realizing that. You know, I did bring a competitive nature and it was very physical, but again, five fouls right away in a game is not gonna contribute to someone staying on the floor and actually developing into a standout player right away.
Speaker 2: So when did you make the transition to basketball? How old were you.
Speaker 3: So I was around fourteen. I had a huge growth spurt in one summer. I remember I moved from when we were just sharing earlier. I moved from Rocky River Davon Lake. And during that summer, I remember, you know, I was I was just a hockey fanatic. I played spring, summer, winter fall leagues all the time. And during that growth spurt, I remember my mom just we went into you know, at the time, in those communities, you'd have equipment swaps, and so you'd find someone in the neighborhood who had their garage and they would, you know, you bring your skates, your helmet, your you know whatever you were not fitting anymore, and you'd put your stuff on the table and you'd exchange it for the next size up. And all my stuff was at the end of the table, and so there was no more exchange. And so then I remember my mom was like, well, we got to figure out something else. And initially then for that summer I found out I grew seven inches. So I went from eighth grade leaving at five ten and then moving into this new town and you know, understanding the sports, of course, it creates an opportunity for you to meet friends. My mom wanted me to join other sports even though hockey was not going to be on the future plans. So I decided I wasn't going to play, and I stayed the whole summer inside my basement just playing video games with my brothers, and I grew at seven inch. I went from you know, from five ten to six five in one summer, and then she signed me up for a mayor and football.
Speaker 2: So what video games? That's not just the most important.
Speaker 3: Yeah thing, right, like just block graphics. It was like Nintendo at the time, so everything.
Speaker 2: Natarium. I'm trying to think, because when Nintendo came out, right, it was Super Mario Brothers, Zelda. But then you also had like Double Dribble, Techno Bowl, RBI Baseball. But again you know your immigrant family, you're playing hockey course, uh with Blades of Steel was the first big hockey game, which was amazing. It was a great game.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so a lot of a lot of those type games, you know, like at Christmas you'd get you know, it just fitted with hockey gear, hockey theme stuff. So like, yeah, the video games, you know, again with Super Mario Brothers. Just basically I was a kid. I didn't have an extreme focus on one thing, so I probably played you know, Metroid, all types of yeah, yeah, all those games. Yeah. My brothers and I would just battle it out.
Speaker 2: So now you're gonna playotball and you're this gangly there's no one grows seven inches and it's completely coordinated right away, that's right. How did football go your freshman year?
Speaker 3: It did not go well? So I showed up two weeks late for the conditioning, you know, new kid. So I remember I went into the high school office signed up for the sport, and then they gave me the equipment the day one. So I'm putting on all this gear I've never put on before. I'm walking across the parking lot over to this shady oak tree where all the guys are, you know, they're the rest period between the two days. And this guy comes up and he's like, whoa, you know, how tall are you? Like you're huge? And I remember, now in eighth grade I had left I was five ten, so I'm mentally still thought I was five to ten. So as I come up to them, I'm like, I'm five ten and these guys are like, dude, there's something wrong with this guy. You know, what the hell, what's he talking about. So this guy comes out, He's like, can't be five ten, I'm six two, and I'm looking up at you, and I'm like, I don't feel any different, you know. So it was just it was, you know, really being closed minded about the fact that, you know, I was still the same kid. And so then I remember after that practice, I went home checked my height, you know, just to found a little spot in the in the kitchen, and measures found out that I grew seven inches. Went up to my mom, she was in the kitchen, probably making scones or tea or something, and I said, Mom, I'm six five and she turned she was just like, oh Jesus, look at you, you know. And so then she was all on my aunts and uncles and relatives in Ireland and just saying like, he's six ' five. And so at that point I finished the football season. I started the first year of you know, my first days of school. I remember walking in and the world had an influence on me. Then it's just like, hey, you know what, you should play basketball. Everybody kept telling me, but I didn't go out. That freshman year had a lot of you know, lack of confidence, like you said, like your your motor skills are off, You're just not feeling yourself. And then the next year I was six seven, so then starting at starting that again. That next year, I was like, this is impossible that you know, I'm six seven. So then but where let's say my freshman year, you know, let's say ten people during the day kept telling me you should play basketball. By the time I was six seven. The sophomore year, it was like twenty people were telling me. So then I had the I guess, the courage with everyone telling me I should go out. I went and tried it out.
Speaker 2: Now, how did you play basketball before?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Not? What is that? What is that experience? Like that learning curve?
Speaker 3: Like I'll tell you this. I'll tell you this, Doug. Every time I walk into the gym and I walk in, I talked to kids, all right, I just I'm just about to walk into a camp, I get the same feeling. I look out at the floor, and that first day ever looking out, I remember I was watching, you know, kids that have been practicing all their lives. So you'm watching all this between you know, the legs, dribbling behind the back, shooting threes with good form, and I still see it today, and I remember being the kid in the doorway going what am I doing? Like I don't know how to do any of this stuff? And so I went out there. I just you know, I was shooting two handed. There was no development of anything. You know, I understood, of course, put the ball in the metal cylinder, but everything was outside of that. I was just so far beyond any understanding of how to play the game with the skill.
Speaker 2: So how did you how did you pick it up? Like what was what was the process by which you went to go from there to being a Division one stoship athlete.
Speaker 3: So my first I always tell people I had two coaches, and I think the Good Lord put them in a certain order for me. My first coach that sophomore year JV basketball, he you know I made the team. It was like every day he told me, you know who I wasn't who I was never going to be, just autocratic, just you know, righteously telling me, you know you did this wrong, you're doing this. And before before long I was didn't even know, but behind my back, I just the joke of the team. And even on the first before the very first game, he went around he was telling everybody their roles. He's like, you know, hey, you know, Fred, You're you're a point guard. You're going to control the tempo of the game. You're gonna be our communicator. You're gonna echo everything that I need to say to the guys. And they go down the line. You're you know, you're a three point shooter. You're gonna be the sniper of the team. And he's still on the power forward and I was sitting there nervously at the end of this conversation. I'm like, what's he going to say to me? And by the time he got to me, my hands are sitting there sweating, and he just stops and he's pouring at me and he says, uh, Pat, I never want to see you dribble the ball. And at that point, you know, I always tell kids that, like, you know, the biggest fear kids have is not fitting in. And I remember at that point I wasn't looking good, feeling good, or feeling safe, and I was done. I was like, I'm done with basketball. And the saving grace that I didn't have to quit is I got I got home shortly after that couple of weeks, and I remember my dad was coming in from a cold Cleveland winner and we're at the kid We're at the enter table. I'm the youngest of six, so myself, my next older brother, Nile, We're sitting at our kitchen table. My dad said to my mom, Nile myself, he said, would you guys consider moving to Florida? And I was like, I will pack my bags right now, like I'm so done. I just don't want to be in this situation anymore. And so we moved shortly after that. Halfway through that JV basketball season, moved down to Cape portl Florida. I walked into school thinking basketball was so far removed, never had to go through that embarrassment again. As soon as I walked in the door at six seven, I think the first kid that saw me was like, whoa, I'll tell you and I'm like, I'm six seven. And he just ran down the hall and he was like, we're gonna win the state championship and I was like, no, don't know. And it just spread, It spread like wildfire, like every class people thought I was being humble. They're like, you know, how you know, can you dunk? And I was like no, I can't. And they're like he's lying, he's lying, he's amazing, and I'm like, no, guys, I I don't even play, and nobody would take my word for it. And so then at the end of the day, I'm walking down the hall like ready to go home, like this is the worst situation I could have ever imagined with the reset, and this gentleman taps my shoulder and I turn and he says, hey, are you the new guy? And I said, yes, sir, i am. And he said, hey, you want to go down to the gym and shoot some hoops? And I mean his voice came out of me like I'm not a basketball player, and he said, well, I didn't say you were. I just wanted to get to know you. You want to go shoot some hoops with me, I'm coach Marty Waters and I'm like, okay, I know this routine. I'll go down there, I'll start shooting. You'll realize out of the gym and he's like, hey, Pat, you ever shut over here on the elbow and I'm like, yeah, I've shot there. So he's like, let's take some shots. So I start shooting brick airball, brick and he's rebounding. I mean, he's just running around getting these rebounds. And he comes up to me and he's like, hey, you have a nice soft touch. And I'm like, is there something wrong with this guy? Like what are you talking about? I just bricked every shot. And so he told me that the varsity coach from that school he was unlike high school, had contacted him that I was coming down, that I was a project player, and he told him that I had played eight years of ice hockey. So I was pleasantly surprised that, you know, someone had actually taken that initiative to call. And so Coach Water said to me, he said, hey, what if I can set this up where everyone understand that you know you've played ice hockey and that you're out here to do your best, and I promise you that there won't be any expectations. And I was like, okay, I'm going to go for it. So he brings in the team, you know, the next day or I come to one of the practices and he's like, hey, guys, this is Pat you just moved down here. He's six ' seven, he played eight years of ice hockey, and I guarantee if we were on ice right now, he probably slammed you all onto a wall. You'd never be able to stand up. He would skate circles around you, he said, but he's transitioning over to basketball, and I think if we help him, he'll help us. And it was like one of the coolest moments because I was like, Wow, I wish I had that every time I walked into something new. And so then as that season started going, you know, I didn't play that much that scene that transitioned into that sophomore second half. But then by the spring and summer, and I was around my house and I just remember the phone rang and my mom would come to me and like, Pas, Pat, there's someone named Michael on the phone. I'm like, Mom, I don't know Michael, and she'd be like, well, someone's on the phone, So I go pick it up. He's like, Pat, Hey, it's Mike. You know. Coach told me to come pick you up. We're gonna go play over here at Fort Myers Beach. I'm like okay, So they picked me up. As soon as I get home, somebody else would call me and they'd be like, hey, you know, hey, this is John. Coach told me to pick you up, about to go shooting the driveway, and slowly I started to you know, get an understanding. I was going kinesthetically through the motions. But then Coach Water kept asking me these thought provoking questions. And even my dad, you know, I didn't have this sense of like asking these type of questions in this leadership space. So he kept asking me, like, what would you like to do in life? And I'm like, you know, my my my life is pretty destined to you know, be a landscape like my dad. I don't think I'm going to be playing basketball. And he said, well, I think you know that you're still growing, and I think that maybe there's an opportunity, you know, even even a small college could come look at you. And I was like, this guy, whatever sods about my senior year. I'm you know, I'm six ' eleven and he's you know, has changed everything in me. I have the confidence where I'm out in the driveway and I'm practicing all the time. You know, I'm at night, I'm taking my mom's lamps out in the driveway and I'm turning them on. Neighbors are walking by, They're seeing me working on post moves, and they're probably thinking they're going this guy what's what's he thinking? He's not going anywhere? And then you know, college has started to come in and talk to me.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in a nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: How good was your team your senior year.
Speaker 3: I think we had a lot of potential, uh, the chemistry. You know, this was marin or high school back in you know that that would have been the ninety one ninety two year, so a lot of a lot of kids were moving in, uh at that time, so it wouldn't be unfamiliar to see like new kids moving in every week. So I think that we had put together, you know, a fairly good looking team on a poster, and I think it was like six eleven, like six eight sixty six sixty six. You know, there's just a lot of real good height. But we never really got to that level. I think that we were I think we were you know, too young at the time to realize, you know, what we what we could have been doing. But coach Waters did a great job, of course, of you know, setting up a great schedule for us. We went out and we played in a bunch of tournaments. But I think it was all based on the fact that you know, I hadn't I hadn't developed, or I hadn't reached my full potential, you know. So a lot of times I would have these like freakish stats where you know, you'd have like eleven blocks one game, and then one game you'd have like five rebounds, and you'd have like, you know, eighteen rebounds. So the consistency wasn't there. You know, at that time, I probably wasn't setting any goals as far as like how the team would actually become better. I was only working just on how do I become better? You know, technically.
Speaker 2: Okay, so then take me through the recruiting proces. By the way, is what was your coach's name, Coach Marty Waters. Is he still alive? He is, She's still coaching.
Speaker 3: He's not coaching though.
Speaker 2: That's pretty amazing though. The understanding, the emotional intelligence it takes to understand what a kid has, what a kid needs, and how to support him, Like that's really remarkable because your first coach, you know, in Cleveland, like that's how a lot of that generation coach, right is break them down, build them back up, and just some kids you can't because internally they've already broken themselves back down.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I totally agree. I think that, you know, looking back now my hindsight and seeing it is there's this theory that a gentleman came up with, like in the sixties, is called transformative learning theory, and it's one of the most disruptive ways to actually get people to learn. And most of it is done through not addition and that old school way that I've recognized that you know, a large portion of people are still doing this. They're coaching but telling people what to do. You know, you'll see a coach on the sideline telling a kid, I told you a thousand times, you got a box out, and you're going, yeah, you're not even hearing yourself. You're saying you told them a thousand times, But you didn't realize after two or three that what you're doing isn't working as far as an impact. To create transformative learning, you know, to actually speak or work with someone to actually have them turn into something else. So Marty Waters was doing was he was actually having me subtract bad habits and so that's really what the you know, transformative theory works on a lot of like let's go back to when you first thought something, and then let's figure out, you know, the most effective way to do it and and doing so. Like after I left, I kept going it was something about the way Coach Waters would communicate, and I kept thinking about it, and then you know, here, now I'm almost fifty years old, I actually studied all of that ways he was doing. And that's how I work with with youth and individuals, whether it's in business or in basketball, is actually going through those same you know, let's say, methods of actually working with others finding out their truth, not the one that I'm seeing from you know, from from this person point of view perspective. I'm actually you know, figuring out how do we share a grounded reality.
Speaker 2: Okay, your recruitment to Auburn, how that? How'd that go down?
Speaker 3: So, uh, you know, pretty much late in the game, moved down to Florida. As you know, now today's world, I mean, they'll find a kid when he's twelve, you know, like in a remote country of the world. So nobody knew that there was this six ' eleven guy in Cape Coral. So coach Marty Waters came up. I think the one practice I broke a backboard and he came on a dunk, not a shot. So he came up to me and he said, Hey, I'm gonna send this out to I don't even know I can't remember who the coach is at the time, and he was like, Hey, I'm gonna send this out to this coach. I think that you know that they should come look at you. And I was like okay. And you know, he was taking care of all of the handling of communication. So then small colleges started to send letters and so I started getting recruited by Winthrop, went also to Stetson, went to Ucor, I got UCF with Joe Dean. Tommy Joe Eagles was at Auburn at the time and his coach, coach Haddocks, was the one that was actually you know, showing up on campus to take a look set the loyal and marimunt out in California was also communicating with me at the time.
Speaker 2: That was back when LMU was was was was run up and down and win the games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so why Auburn? Uh, Tommy Joe Eagles, he when he came in his presence was one that I knew. I was like, you know what, there's something about him. I really trusted everything that he was saying. He could see that I was a project. He was probably the main reason when I visited the university, I was like, this is beautiful. It was probably the most quiet of all my visits. Most of them they were all trying to like take me out. American University was another one, so a lot of them were just taking me out, you know, showing me kind of the social scene. When I got to Auburn, it was like I went out with the guy who was graduating, christ brandt Uh and Chris. You know, he basically just showed me around and went to a restaurant, We went to a pet shop to grab some food for his fish. After after going through all of it, I was like, I think this is the one, you know. But then there was one more thing, Doug that you know, it really nipped me in the ass. Was the starting center was Chris going out at the time, and the next guy in line, I think it was a guy named Aaron Swinson who was six ' four and so my belief was, Hey, I'm six to eleven, I'm coming in here, I'm going to start what.
Speaker 2: About your parents, Like they hadn't experienced any of this, none of it? What was what was there? What was their influence like on your decision?
Speaker 3: So going back to we were sharing kind about the leadership side of the things, is I think the benefit of my dad not knowing anything was there was no tampering in any of Coach waters beliefs or his techniques. So he basically was like, hey, Coach Waters, here's my son. Please do your best to help them with this. And so my dad never got involved in you know, like trying to shoot the drive with me or putting me through ball handling stuff. He just didn't know. You know, again, is growing up irish? You know, like there was a lot of things that were the you know, initially whenever we did something it was the first time doing it. So me going through basketball, I think that he knew his place was like, Hey, I'm going to support my son and I'm not going to sit here and give him some sort of advice that you know doesn't translate.
Speaker 2: But again, and I don't want to be presumptuous because I don't know your family dynamic. My guess would be irish immigrant family that it was a some sort of push of hey, if you're going to do it, you're going to do it right, right, You're going to do like there's a I mean, I think one of the things that has changed, and it's it's it's I think most of it is actually our generation because we're the parents now, right, is the questioning of teachers, the questioning of coaches, the questioning of leadership. Yeah, in your upbringing, was there any what was what was your you know, like, look, my dad wasn't he was grandson of immigrants. But it's like people ask like why did you get good grades in high school? Well? I didn't have any other choice, you know, why did you work hard beasketball? I didn't have any other choice? What was what was even though he wasn't involved in the day to day what was this influence? Like academically and in terms of your work ethic, So.
Speaker 3: Academically it would have been you know, the great reports coming home. You know, he'd sit down with you and just you know, communicate like you know what's going on here? You know, And again it was it wouldn't be more of a question. It would be like you can do better, and you'd feel you'd feel an understanding of if there was disappointment, you know, that would be something that would burn inside of you and you'd know, you know, you'd made some choices that you know got in the way of you know, studying for tests or doing assignments. As far as the work ethic in games, I I think, you know, just seeing my dad work as hard as he could, you know, to make ends meet. You know, I'm the youngest of six, so I saw the older three going off to college, my mom and dad making ends meet that I don't think I ever was coached in energy or effort. It just you know, I went as hard as like even when I played pro. I just I never would have thought once to like drop at a level. And I think that comes from again, is like when you're when you're growing up, and it's just what you see. You never see anybody taking a day off. You just you're always going as hard as you can. And I think that that's one of the things that even when my dad, mom and dad saw me in games. I don't remember my mom and dad ever after a game going oh you really had good energy, you know, it would because it wasn't ever put in there. It was just like, you know, you did you did well with this, and what did your coach say about this? So a lot of a lot of going back to, you know, kind of at the abstract of today's world with parents, you know, saying and giving their opinion. My parents would have been like, well, what did coach Waters say about this? Or what does he think about that? And as soon as he would I would share what it was, it would be like, that's what you're going to do, you know. And so I think that my parents really partnered with my coach, you know, and anybody who was involved as far as you know, just creating a larger sense of team and kind of a uniform thought process be like okay, let's do that, you know. So I think that, you know, after games and stuff, my mom and dad would go up to coach Waters and shake his hand and just there was a lot of understanding that this was not happening because you know, a rock hit me in the head and all of a sudden, you know, I understood how to do a drop step. You know. It was like they knew that he was investing a lot of time and now that all these coaches and colleges were coming in that he was the influence that was making it happen.
Speaker 2: So you go to Auburn, What do you remember about showing up on campus?
Speaker 3: So I'm sitting there my mom and dad we drive the nine hours up there. I have a trunk that has two pair of jeans, a couple of T shirts. My dad hands me two hundred dollars and he says, make this work, and I'm like, wow, this is a lot of money. I fixed my room up all of fifteen minutes, and then I remember there's a knock at my door and Aaron Swinson, the six ' four second coming of Charles Barkley, says, hey, you're the new guy Pat. I'm like yeah, yeah. So I meet him. I'm like, hey, nice to meet you. He's like, hey, we're gonna go play some pickup down at the gym, and I said okay. So I'm sitting there and I'm getting nervous because no one's seen me play. I've never seen them play. And in one pickup game, Aaron Swinson dunks on me about fifteen times and I have.
Speaker 2: No I have no You're like, what am I doing here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I'm like, what am I doing and immediately it just starts crushing me. And then we then most of the guys show up and they start playing up ball, and I can't. I can't hold my own I can't even stop any of the guys. You know, I'm about I'm six ' eleven and I'm just probably it's a little over two hundred pounds, so I'm like, I'm a skeleton and they're just taking advantage of me. And then before long, I'm not even getting picked up in the games. So I remember, you know, I'd sit there and I'd try to voice saying I got downs, and they wouldn't even listen to me. They would actually play five on five and they go, let's just run it back, and so that after a while, I just went into the locker room and I just started watching television, you know, every day in preseason. And then one of the coaches came in was like, you know, what are you doing. Why aren't you out there playing? And I was like, I've been out there for you know, a week and a half. They won't let me on the court, and so then they just kept telling me like you got to go out there, and it just it wasn't happening.
Speaker 2: So my first month at Notre Dame, do you wear a Keith tower?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he lives down here in Orlando.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Heith had graduated, but he and Lafonso Ellis, a couple other guys came back and Keith was Keith's whole thing was like he it was his pickup game. So he's like, little guy, you ain't got no credit algy you can't get on this court. So a Notre Dame and I think it's where their practice facilities now is have what's called the pit, and the pit is you know the Joyce Center now I figure what it's called now, but they have several auxiliary gyms and the main auxiliary gym is down kind of below in the battels of the arena and it's a nice setup and that's where we play pickup ball. And so Keith kind of ran the pit even though he'd already kind of graduated. And it was the same thing like I couldn't get on the court. Now. It wasn't that I was bad, it was that I was a freshman and I was, I'm sure, kind of cocky and I was told like I was, I was brought in to be the starting point guard, and at some point, like I couldn't get on the court, so I did the opposite of what you did. I stood at the free throw line and just wouldn't move, And these fucking guys start playing without me, and I'm like, dude, I came here to play, so I'm going to play. And Keith, you know, Keith would just have him keep playing for a while. Finally, like Freddy McCaffrey came down, he's like, wells, we gotta get Ayboddy in here. You know. It's like and I think they probably pulled Keith aside, like, look, dude, I get it. You know you're the older guy, You're the NBA player at this time, like you gotta let the guys play. But I completely know the know, the feeling of not feeling like you're fitting in belonging. Yeah, and it's really all right. Then it gets worse because then I'm sure when you started practice, you're like, holy crap, I've even more lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So then we start practice. We started doing drills, and Tommy Joe Eagles before practices, he'd you know, we'd warm up, stretch at half court. We'd have a big circle and he'd walk around, he'd visit with everybody, and he come up to me and be like, hey, Biggin, you're a right biggin. And I'm just like sitting there like, oh yeah, I'm good, and he's like you sure, you know, cause he's getting all the report. But I couldn't see that big macro plan. I was like sitting there just in the micro going I don't see it. And every time I talk to my mom or dad, I'm like, I don't think I'm supposed to be here. My dad just like stop, just stop, you know, And I'm like, you don't understand, like they're not letting me play. I'm in hearing when I'm going into practice, I don't understand, like why I can't keep up with everybody, And just you know, I never even took a snapshot of these guys and said, you know, what was their experience, Like what did they do in the year before in the weight room? What do they do as far as like you know, getting faster lateral quickness. To me, it was just like this is never going to actually improve because I had never stepped into any other way of being more effective. So it was like someone was like coach, coach, Eagles was like telling me, hey, look, there's a bunch of different approaches that you haven't even taken yet. With your nutrition and strength training and all of this. You know you're coming in here, you know, like a skeleton. But you know, within that first year, I think I left there my freshman year with like twenty five pounds of muscle.
Speaker 2: How much did you play?
Speaker 3: I didn't a red shirt. I read shirted that first year. My roommate, Lance Weims was mister Alabama for basketball, mister Alabama for football, mister Alabama for baseball. He was like everyone's all American. So he played that year and so I just I just you know, I went out, I suited up, and I you know, went through the layup lines with the guys warming up, and I just saw this tough year of just Auburn basketball, Like, let's let's see what Auburn basketball is in the SEC and all these non conference games, Let's see what the country thinks. And that's when I started to really put it together. I'm like, wow, this is a football school.
Speaker 2: It was. It was a football school. By the way, your roommate who was mister basketball and everything, did he play professionally in any of the sports.
Speaker 3: He didn't. You know, he at the end of his senior year, so he graduated a year before me. He had an offer to play in England, and the year before he had gotten married, and he, you know, was sitting there going, do I put you know, four or five years into this and then lose where I could be in the professional setting if I go get a job. And so you know, I think he just became very conservative there at the end and he said, no, I'm gonna I'm just going to start work.
Speaker 2: Do you things come to mind with that one. It's that you talk about different guys running their own race, right like he was. He was on a completely different path coming out of high school, right, and you become the top center in Europe. That's that's amazing. But the other part too, it is and like this this is at lant that I'm glad that he got. He understood and I know you understand, is like we have completely devalued the relationship you can build with your university to use it to get that first and all your jobs. And you know it's I do think our generation, a good portion of us get it. But for whatever reason, you know, college has just become about how much can I get how quickly can I get it, and not realizing the ramifications of the next fifty years of your life. You know. It's like, that's why I went to Notre Dame. Was I went to Notre Dame because if it didn't work out, domers take care of domers. And what I found is Oklahoma State people are unbelievably loyal when you're loyal to them. But now we have these guys, these transient guys, and they play at three or four schools. We're like, hey, when it's over, what are you going to call it a job? You know? Anyway, So the red shirt year it hit. And there's another part is like red shirt ear is like a bad word to kids now, Like sometimes you need a year to develop, to figure it out, to grow, to understand what you're doing every day, to feel comfortable. But you know this is twenty five years ago. So the set your sophomore year, your second year, your red shirt freshman year. What was that season like?
Speaker 3: So just before that, I end that year. I remember we go home for spring break. I come back and my roommate Lands says, hey, let's go to the gym and shoot this is my freshman year. After the season's all over, and I said, okay, so I was feeling good. I was like, hey, let me see that ball real quick. And I get the ball. I take like one dribble and I go up and I just slammed the crap out of it. And he looks at me and he's like, holy shit. And I was like, dude, I feel really good. And next thing you know, I'm just wind milling it and doing anything. I'm like, what just happened? And I hadn't realized that, you know, everything I had been doing in the weight room and nutrition wise was paying off. I mean the nutrition side of it. It was like you're coming out of class and you have a three pm scheduled, go eat four peanut butter sandwiches at the weight room. So then coming back. I leave that summer and my dad was still a subscription member to an Irish newspaper called The Echo. And at the back end of the Echo he sees this advertisement. It says, all Irish basketball players call here or something. So he makes the call and I get on to this Irish World University team's or the World University Games team. And when I get there, It's the funniest thing is I get to reinvent myself. Like none of the guys from Auburn are there, so when I get there, all the Irish guys are like, oh, you're amazing, this is great, and we have a lot of Irish Irish Americans as well. And I just started playing more dominant with that team. And then when I come back then that year that you're sharing the sophomore or my freshman year. The second year, I remember going through the preseason and everybody, Wesley Person, Aaron Swintson, all these guys are coming. You're like, dude, you are not even the same person. And it was just that one moment to get away to realize like at that time, I you know, we played the USA team and practices, we played all these other teams and I was getting, you know, some attention, and it was like wow. You know, sometimes you go under a little hypnosis thinking the environment is telling you who you are, but it's like that's bullshit. It's like you don't have to listen to what the environment says. You can actually create that and be in another environment then come back and all of a sudden, you know, it's a paradigm shift. So I get I get more obviously, I get to play. I'm not starting. I'm not like in some position where you know, Tommy Joe is using me amazingly, because at that time most people don't even know this time of telling me Joe Eagles, he had Wesley Person was the leading score of the SEC, Aaron Swinson was a second leading scorer, second rebounder, and Aubrey Wiley was the leading rebounder. And we probably lost in conference games on like an average of like two points. So going into the RUP or going to Tennessee, you know, playing Jael Mashburn and playing uh, the guys in Tennessee. We got to Alan Houston, we got to a point where we're going to every game to the end and we're just losing by a small margin. And then of course at the end of that year, Tommy Joe Eagles got fired, and uh, you know, that year was another one of those opportunities where you learn so much. All the guys that I looked up to were graduating, Aaron, Wesley and Aubrey and they had they had taught us all like how to work, you know, as hard as you can and become you know the leaders in the conference in those categories.
Speaker 2: Okay, your coach gets fired right now, everybody leaves. What was it like for you? Then?
Speaker 3: Uh So then the athletic the athletic director comes up with David. David Howsley is a Hall and he's like, Pat, We're we're very interested in hearing your opinion on who we should be looking for and this, that and the other, and like, we're looking for a Southern gentleman, Like a southern gentleman. Why don't we just find somebody who wants to win and is effective at winning. But anyways, they had their parameters, and so then we get the call that coach Cliff Ellis is our coach. She's coming out from Clemson. And uh, the year before that, that redshirt year, we actually played Cliff uh in the n I T in Clemson when they had Searon Wright Chris Whitney. And so when we play we played them, you know, you got to see kind of the atmosphere he's about. And then looking looking back at when they were telling us Cliff was coming in, we started to look at all of the big centers in the NBA that he had, Horace Grant, Uh, you know, Dale Ellis and and all these guys, and I started sinking, Wow, this guy's really going to develop bigs. And so he came in and uh he was. He was all about winning. So immediately he was like, we had a team meeting and he just said, look, we are Whatever happened in the past is the past. This is a new you know, this is a new movement forward. It's a new group, It's gonna be a new environment. And it was how is it different? Uh, the practices I think became more demanding, you know, really questioning people about understanding the tactics of the of the game. You know, I think that it wasn't just going through the motions. And coach Ellis was extremely hard on us until we learned everything. You know. He put in a faster paced, full course press. We went into a one to two on one. I was the top of it. So I was starting and you know, my whole goal in the beginning of that was just to put as much pressure as I could on the ball. He gave me, you know, the nod to play and I was like extremely excited and want to do my best. Forum you know, his coaching staff was great. I think that also we changed, We've changed the trainer in the strength room. You know, there was just these subtle differences that you could tell that this was a bigger I want to say it was. It was a bigger consistency throughout the whole year, like you know, like what there might have been some time off I think in between Tommy Joe Eagles off season, but with coach Ellis, there wasn't.
Speaker 2: And it feels like and again, Tim, if I'm wrong, but this is another fresh start for you. Right, you had the fresh start when you're from Cleveland to Florida. You had the fresh start when you at Auburn after your first year when you got to go and and play at with the Irish national team. Right, and now you get another fresh start after kind of establishing yourself as a developmental player and you're much further along. What was he like to you? What did he tell you? What was his expectations of you?
Speaker 3: I don't think you ever gave me expectations. I think it was more you know, he would just you know, he would come up and he'd not not so much congratulate you, but he'd confirm or affirm when you were doing good things. You know, keep doing this, keep doing that. I don't think till my junior year when we played in San Juan. He after one game he was just like, you know, guys, we got a stud on our team. And I'm looking around the room like who's he talking about? You know? And we had just beat Louisville in the finals and they had Samocky Walker and Lewis Simms. And I remember at that point my junior year, he was like, look, there's people that coming. They're going to start looking at you. And I was like, what, Like, you know, I'm just I'm just playing college ball. Like again, is I think one of the things that I lacked, and that was any type of goal that was outside of just that month or two months, you know. Like you know, I see a lot of times I see documentaries and I'm like, man, I wish I could go back and start thinking big picture more when I was younger.
Speaker 2: Do you know. I mean, like there's the naivete. I think it's a healthier thing, right like you, I kind of think all they think now is a big picture, whereas you don't enjoy the little things, like the little growth and the other stuff. If you're worried big pic like, were you a regular student, did you go to the football games, did you go to parties? Or you know, were you because because I will tell you now, if you go to a college campus, they're barely students. And I'm not saying they don't take classes, but they take them online. Right, They're at the facility, they're at training table in front of their computer in the student athlete like academic area, and very rarely on campus. And to me, like, I was actually just at my own model and one of the freshmen was like, yeah, we just I just moved on my class online, and both me and the head coach, Mike Boyden, were like, I think you want you should get to campus, you know, like one of your days a week, just because there's nothing like winning a game, a league game, being Oklahoma and then strutting on campus. Right, that's the ship. That's the best part. So I understand, like you were like, man, I can't believe all this stuff was happening around me. I didn't even know. On the other hand, I don't know. I think that naivete is super healthy because it allowed you to enjoy and absorb all this other stuff that's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think when I tell you about my senior year. I think that that's absolutely spot on, because you know, being Irish, being an immigrant coming over, when you're coming from nothing, you have nothing to lose. So I don't think there was any fear that I was playing with my junior year. I was just putting it all on the line, you know, like I was going to parties, I was going you know, I was going to class, making sure that I took care of my stuff. So in a sense, I definitely agree that, you know, my junior year probably was the end then of me being in the moment and then I all of a sudden, I clicked something and a switch went off, and then I just kind of I was thinking way too much.
Speaker 2: You were thinking too much your senior year. Yeah, yeah, No, it's a it's a really hard one. I think everybody kind of goes that. They people wonder why sometimes seniors don't perform to the level of expectations, and that's why, because they put too much on them on themselves. I got to ask, though Irish background, you had to be a legendary beer drinker.
Speaker 3: And you know, sometimes people will call me former teammates and they'll tell me a story and I'll be like, I don't remember that, I'm not co signing that. So but there will go a lot, especially with the Irish national team. You know, we have a pilgrimage. We'd go to the Guinness brewy uh in the summer and h yeah, there was a lot of really good, good, good memories, good stories, a lot of beer.
Speaker 2: So okay. I have a friend Dave Redison, works for the Big ten Network, and he did a semester abroad and actually played little basketball there and he said, like, so in Ireland it is a fact. It is not an arguable fact that the closer to the brewery the pub is the better the beer. Is that accurate, and then of course you went to the actual brewery. So what is what is the reality to the quality of Guinness.
Speaker 3: It's extremely interesting, but I didn't know this until the first time I went over. There's they said there's three grades of Guinness. So there's an A, B and C and most of the time we're drinking beer. C and A is only brought out during like Saint Patrick's Day or big festive events. So there probably is a some sort of radius inside of what you're sharing that you know, there's only so many of the really good barrels and kegs coming out of there. But as far as like having one in Ireland compared to having one in Cleveland, Ohio or Mount Or, Florida, it's night and day, you know, Like I was just over. I was just over for four weeks, got back about four or five days ago, and it's just a significant difference. Your senior year, well you remember, so I think once I heard that there were scouts coming, I was like, you know what, it's the junior year, Damien or not Damien. Eric Dampier is kind of at the pinnacle of the draft in it was at ninety six. So we're at the SEC tournament and I remember Mississippi State is taking us out. We made to the second game.
Speaker 2: They went to the final four that year too, so I mean, it's not like they're a bad team, right right.
Speaker 3: So I'm sitting there and I'm looking at him, and I'm getting into my defensive position for a free throw in our basket. He's shooting the free throw and I remember looking at his forearms and I'm like, Damn, this guy's big. I'm like, I gotta get big. So I devote all my time going into the weight room, going in and balancing the weight room. We're not even balancing any understanding of what muscle groups do you to work on? You know, like now in today's world, it's like every sport has got specific things that they're working on a lot of core or you know, upper body Laura. But I was just going in there and I'm doing everything that an Auburn football strength coach is telling me to do. So I go from two hundred and forty five pounds, I get up to two hundred and eighty pounds when I get to my senior year. Yeah, I mean I look like an NFL player. I was huge, and I go out to start the first game, you know, put some good numbers up in the preseason. As two or three games go by, I get winded after four minutes and coach has to Coach Ellis says to take me out. So I remember, Mama do Enji was a freshman coming in, so he kept getting the call, and I remember just looking at I was on the bench watching him play. He was doing really well, and I'm like going, how the hell am I getting out of the game, And I kept thinking it was something about Coach Allison and like, and I was like, what is this? And I had actually taken myself out with all the pressure, and so all my stats and everything were lower my senior year than my junior year. And I just remember that it was probably around Christmas or you know, there was a break coming. I remember we were at a practice and coach Ellis came up to me and he was just like very stern, and he's like, damn it, you are strong enough. Get the hell out of the weight room. I don't want ever want to see you in that rate weight room the rest of the year. And I still kept thinking to myself, like I got to make this happen. And then of course over the season, I just kept gotting to the point where I couldn't even get in the game because I couldn't even stay you know, partio ready. And then of course my when I went and played pro my first year out, I got back to two fifty, lost all the weight got and I got back to myself.
Speaker 2: Get We'll get to that in a second. So your your last game, your senior year, where was it.
Speaker 3: Last game? We didn't make it into the NIT or anything that year, And I remember I was just being so upset at the idea that Auburn was on the quarter system at that time, and again as we weren't a basketball school and that we lived for March Madness. We were more of a football school that when the basketball team got into March, we all wanted to have our break and go home. And it just it upset me that, like, this is my senior year, this is the end of it. And I think that was in I think it was the tournament that year was in Nashville, and I just remember at the end of it just thinking, you know, I can't believe I let this senior year end like this, and it just felt crappy. You know. I remember going out in the SEC tournament. We were out, you know, afterwards, and this one person came up to me was like, oh man, you Pap Burke, and I'm like, kid, I was like, oh, I picked you for my Fantasy League SEC team because you were the leading you were the leading rebounder, coming back into your scene your year and it's like what happened? And I'm like, yeah, thanks the whole what happened? Like, I was like, you know, there's such a story there that I overthought, you know, going back to what you were saying, like four or five minutes ago. It's like I wasn't in the moment. I was thinking too far into the future and doing so I cut myself out.
Speaker 2: How long after your senior year did you realize that it was you not Coach Ellis? Oh?
Speaker 3: It was probably two or three years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I would say, so my you know, my junior year I led the country, insists, But it's actually I played the fewest minutes per game of any year in my career because I got into Coach's doghouse right, and I had after my first year there, I came back. I mean I was ready and I was killing it, but I got a technical in a Florida Atlantic game at eighteen assists. But I had a bad technical and we lose in some crazy shit. And then we play UCLA and actually got thrown out of the game, and someone is managing my emotions. But you know, again, like when I look back at what I like, I struggle to watch myself play in college because guys played off me because it couldn't shoot. But like forever I would you know, you have that you get done with college and you're like if you wouldn't have fucking taken me out every time I've missed a shot. I would have been able to make shots. On the other hand, like I realized that I would work and work and work every off season. And then I also went through the getting too big so you couldn't shoot right, put on too much muscle. And then the other part is like you get into practice and you start working less on your game and on shooting and your mentality, and then you go through practice where you don't take shots in live action. So you get in the game and of course you're not going to take shots right, So I would say it's the same thing, right, It's like it's like really two years for me before I was like, you know what, it wasn't him, it was me. Yeah, And like that's the sign of ultimate maturity when you start pulling the finger in like, yeah, that was that's my bad, that's that's the coach that that.
Speaker 3: Uh so that that was in ninety seven and then ninety eight, Peyton and myself we got married. We met at school and I remember I invited all the guys and I didn't invite coach Jealous because I had a grudge thinking it was him, and I remember like a year after that, I went, I was on campus and you know, I had a great relationship with him and his family, and his son came up to me and just blatantly just said, why didn't you invite my dad to your wedding? And I had some bullshit excuse, you know, not owning the fact that I made something up, and so he uh sorry. He ended up he ended up giving me probably a seated understanding to start thinking, why did you Why did you do that? You know, because every time I look at my wedding photos and all the all the fun that we had, you know, like all these great people that were around my life at the time, Marty Waters, all of my teammates and all that were there, and it's like Coach wasn't there, and it was because of my grudge. And I realized that whenever I look at those photos sometimes I realized, like the people that weren't there, and I'm going, you know, I made some shit up, you know, and I have to own that.
Speaker 2: I'd say. For part one of my talk with with Pat Burke, of course, that's the growing up high school and college experience. How did he make it overseas how did he make it in the NBA, what was that lifestyle like? And the juxtaposition of the two and the lessons learned along the way, In addition to which we're going to try and fix USA basketball as we get ready for next year's Olympics. All that is upcoming a reminded of the Doug Outleid shows daily three to five Eastern time on Fox Sports Radio the iHeartRadio app of Fox Sports Tradio dot com. Of course, that's noon to two. I also have a daily podcast called in the Bonus. You can check that out. That's all sports, not just basketball. Matter of fact, this time of year, obviously we rarely talk basketball, but it's good stuff and a reminder will drop Part two probably in about two days by thanks to Pat Burke. That's part one. I'm Doug Gottlie. This is all ball