Speaker 1: The most unique NBA podcast is out on Odyssey. Peak Check with Trista Kriik is funnier, edgier, and more insightful than wherever You're getting your NBA entertainment from.
Speaker 2: Fire Absolute fire. Anyone who can put four carrot diamonds all around his suit plastered on and so on on. This man knew he was going number one.
Speaker 1: Hilario's insights, incredible interview and opinions others don't have the courage to say. Peak Check with Trista Criik can be found on the Odyssey and wherever you get your favorite podcast.
Speaker 2: So a little behind the scenes here, So before I ask this question, and I'm a little hesitant in asking it, so I'm a little long winded in getting there. So I'm trying to get him to address Winning Time. I'm trying to figure out way to do that. And I've had lunch with Jerry a few times, and I've been out with them socially as well, and I've never seen him drink, not one time, not once. So to me, it was really fascinated that Winning Time made him look like an alcoholic, just made him look like a guy who throws his trophy through his office window and that he's at the bar getting fucked up meeting his future wife. Crazy shit, I was cause I saw a winning time after we met extremely sus at this depiction, So I asked him about alcohol use, thinking that might lead us into the winning time discussion. But we actually ended up on this really interesting side road somehow about the blueprint on giving constructive criticism, how you balance being brutally honest and being a relationship guy, because I think that's insanely hard to balance. And then somehow we got on the role of social media and debate show talking heads in today's NBA. Then he throws subtle shade at the Lakers at Stephen A JJ Reddick.
Speaker 3: What a turn.
Speaker 2: Did not expect this, By the way, Gotta remember we're about an hour and a half into this interview and he is cooking. One of the craziest things that I saw. And then I've known about you for a long time is that you don't drink. And I'm pretty sure correct me if I'm wrong that you've never.
Speaker 4: Had well, you know, As'll say, I'm not saying I don't get dreamy, okay, but I never any alcohol in the family. Might the kid hide drink the after me.
Speaker 5: My night had the block in time.
Speaker 6: But I'm not a heath at all. Like, I don't like that it does to you if I'm not, I just don't like to drink. Yeah, A round their family and my father smoke heavily. There was no way that I can heaven smoke anything and listen, I'm not appropriate others. I don't know any to fast it because there's things I've just smoke.
Speaker 7: You do this, Yeah, I'm not going to I'm not gonna have Yeah.
Speaker 4: Some people don't.
Speaker 6: I'm really honest, and some people don't mention bee with that.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question. So how do you balance that being brutally honest in a talent evaluation role when people are kind of like there's another industry out there to try to make things.
Speaker 3: Out to be bigger than they are.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 7: You just don't care.
Speaker 6: Social media and particularly these people get their music, your hair and criticize players. The next day they'll come back and kiss and make up.
Speaker 4: I don't like them, but they do it for the people. Will they're free ad contrebi. Some of these players are not confidentially there. You are who they are, and you know I've watched this year centle things written about.
Speaker 6: The field players and the ore who they are. What you're not going to change you right, which is who they are? And I think it's resally embarrassing going the way.
Speaker 2: But is it hard for you knowing that you're brutally honest? Does that impact and you're also a relationship oriented person? How do you balance those two things?
Speaker 7: Really?
Speaker 8: You know, somebody will come up, let's say to you, you know, I want to know this, okay, And I said, look, this is only my opinion you and may tell you what you want to hear or.
Speaker 6: If you want to tell you what I think, And sometimes I want to tell you what I think you know about that? I said, it's not a reflector when you but reflection on how you can get better, not only as a player, but as a person, how you can interact with people better, how.
Speaker 9: People will be a more accepting of you.
Speaker 6: I said, most of sarmon thinking, well, I think it's a smile, and yeah, I just I'm pretty simple.
Speaker 10: I'm really pretty simple, And I don't think it's kind of a life in this league today it's.
Speaker 6: Almost forgotten to compent of It's the excessive amount of published me, the excessive now content about the players that are in our league, and I'm not always.
Speaker 4: Looking something longer to what you want, you know, I.
Speaker 9: Just say it's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: And some of the people in the air who I watch ex players, players who's accomplished basically nothing and talking about the game in their opinion.
Speaker 6: When I play, I'm going to talk about how to play. It was completely different area the day I'm saying, well.
Speaker 5: I thought, I've got to be even though I'm older, reading reading things that were meanings of reading in my history, reading about people who have inspired, I say, even though I'm battle.
Speaker 6: The persons terrible, I don't care about people are and uh some people and NBA players, the players and others. I want to feel like if everyone crazy when they're with their franchise and the next second they trade.
Speaker 10: Him and.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, even just a number you just want to see you. As I mentioned, players have places where they want to go to death, and you don't know they want.
Speaker 4: Anyone seemingly wants to go to a big market. I'm going to go to the place where I can win. I suppose you're good enough. If you're good though, they can have a lot more money with your own game if you have a can.
Speaker 6: Also, some places where you go and everything looks great, you get there and you'll find out.
Speaker 2: There lot the other Why does it work?
Speaker 7: Just get around?
Speaker 6: Oh well there's a public a lot of indifferent. Well we really got if you hear that, I just I just look at anyone on those people.
Speaker 9: I don't go Over the years, I've.
Speaker 7: Learned a lot, and I think crush. If I'll use that la to discussed, wells crush. There's sell anything. And there's been some fuss in my life, have been betrayed, and I don't you know, you'll have it. I I'll just find that bother.
Speaker 2: Here it is, folks, here it is. What did Jerry West think about Winning Time? When I saw that HBO series, I wondered, did they get anything right?
Speaker 3: It's not like they got pretty much everything. I really don't.
Speaker 6: I really don't want to find them.
Speaker 9: There's a complete line.
Speaker 6: It's a fleet line they have forgetting me. Okay, yeah, we're getting me.
Speaker 4: I don't care what anyone says.
Speaker 6: I'm not doing it right exactly now.
Speaker 4: I don't know those people.
Speaker 7: I don't want to know them.
Speaker 4: I've dir any money yeah, but that was disgraced for a lot of people, and then for some reason I would be chills in place.
Speaker 6: That means a feeling good story.
Speaker 4: That was the start of an era in Los Angeles, and Gary Bless the others made the Lakers for years the.
Speaker 6: Most popular thing inta And to me, to find the story that about detroying the people who were involved in it, it's very deftime.
Speaker 9: That's just place.
Speaker 2: I love the concept of an owner to say, let's just do whatever it takes to win. When I look and read about that time, that's the thing that sticks out is just how rare and special and hard it is for owners to.
Speaker 10: Do that different. Yeah, at the team today, we have immensely by this. Of course, because they wont in your profession. They don't understand how hard it's time. They don't they think it's easy enough money he is spending, it's not gonna do it. Sometimes people spend a lot of money and they're hopefully losing.
Speaker 6: They're not gonna get better. And once it gets kind of stuck in the middle, if you don't find a way to get out of that, you're gonna be the you firing that because you go he was looking every team in the league. Look what happens when.
Speaker 9: They lose a great player from some franchise that just want to give a number. And it's frustrating for the fans. Every universe social produce in the draft comes you are, but it gets my pleasing and I would there's no more answer to them.
Speaker 7: They really know.
Speaker 9: I do believe in ownership a lot.
Speaker 4: I've been fun, We've been involved with floor owners and like you, I suceed kind of really really been.
Speaker 11: A fantastic and I think the rocket starts you're leaving the failed And I went over to Day who was most amazing man.
Speaker 6: I've got to say them over that, who's just in any individual who was a dealers but went to he and his wife do some of.
Speaker 7: The public dockets can time.
Speaker 10: There's amazing when he is a great man, he is a great man.
Speaker 7: I actually probably at this point in my life and this is life, you know, this is kind of my entire lower at the NBA that I've had a chance to get to some of life man.
Speaker 3: During us like the dry us, the gray us and my father years of the body, like the road man who keeping the bugs through fireman and he got.
Speaker 9: Able to really quieter for sure, and Steve is a little bit more lambastic work Fantastic.
Speaker 3: Games, and I could have freaking anyway.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing that he did was he's like, I'm not going to comment on that, and then he proceeded to comment and comment and comment some more.