Speaker 1: Welcome to Bullyball, presented by DraftKings. I'm Rachel Nichols, as is my partner crime mister DeMarcus Cousins. Boogie, you are still over in Taiwan. There have been an increased earthquake activity, but I think it's actually you because you dropped twenty five and fourteen in a win the other night. How is it going over there? The playoffs are startting.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we just finished up our last regular season game. Things are going good. I'm enjoying my time. This has been an amazing experience for me. I'm happy to be playing basketball compete, you know, being a part of a team and joining a camaraderie with the guys. So it's been a pleasure so far. So like I said, we finished up regular season, we're now booting up for the playoffs, so things are about to start getting interested.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited for that.
Speaker 1: And if you're interested in Taiwanese food culture, check out Boogie's recent ig because something on there I wouldn't need. So that's all I'm saying. I'm saying, let's talk NBA playoffs. We are deep in the first round. My friend, I want to start in the East because that New York Philadelphia game. Every single game of this series. I know Sixers fans don't feel this way because it's the outcome, but every single game has been so fun. It has been old fashioned, hard fought basketball in a way that just reminds me of so many of the games I watch growing up that I love. New York, of course, is now up three to one in the series. Jalen Brunson forty seven points most ever for New York Nick in the playoffs, which you know, we've had an explosion in scoring. That's not necessarily means he's the best Nick ever, But I do want to ask you, is he the best Nick since? Who? Who? Would you say Jalen Brunson is the best Knicks since who?
Speaker 2: Carmelo Anthony? And that's without a doubt. This kid is a star. I believe at the end of his career he will have his jerseys in the rafts of the New York Knicks. I think everything has been put in place for this kid to be successful, from you know, his father being a part of the organization to bring in his college championship teammates, to the organization.
Speaker 3: Just everything is being.
Speaker 2: Set up for him to be successful, and you can tell that this organization supports him from top to bottom. So yeah, I think he's I think he's that piece for this team and this organization. You know, New York was searching for a savior and I finally think they found their guy in Jalen Bronson.
Speaker 3: He's a star.
Speaker 2: He's he's dominated in these playoffs, he's dominated in regular season. I believe me and Big Perk are probably the only guys that are pushing for him to have, you know, some credit in his MVP race because he's he's more than deserving of that to be playing one of the biggest markets and playing at the level he's been playing that likes it's not even up with debate. He's been you know, obviously he's Their team has dealt with injuries throughout the year. They lost one of their big pieces in Julius Randall. You know, o G went down some throughout the year, and you know this kid is he's he's carried this organization on his shoulders all year and he's continued to do that throughout these playoffs.
Speaker 3: So he is a star.
Speaker 2: He is legit everything that comes with it. He's a star, and he's perfect for this Knicks organization. So I think he's the best since Carmelo Anthony. I won't say he's better right now. I think, you know, him finishing out this series, possibly getting past the second round, I think that validates him at that point. And you know, like I said, this kid's jersey will be in the rafters when he's when he's said and done.
Speaker 1: I mean, if he gets this team to a conference finals, uh, which there's certainly a path for that right now. I mean, man, I can't even imagine the roof being blown off MSG. You know, I worked in that market for two decades and it is out of control. And look, we might be having the Brunson Mellow conversation at that point. So we'll have to see. But I love what you said about the organization because who knew we would be talking about the Knicks as one of the most well run organizations in the league. Nobody could have predicted that. And I think that bringing Leon Rose in, James Donlan finally final Lee taking his hands off of this team and just basically being like great, and then Leon bringing Tibbs in and then being so smart in a way that frankly hasn't happened with some of Tibbs's past teams. They drafted and have acquired and traded for Tibbs type of players. This team is so relentless. They get seven offensive rebounds in the fourth quarter last night, despite the fact that Philly, by the way, running out of gas. I think that Philly missed their final eleven shots, didn't score in the final five minutes. Meanwhile, the Nick just kept coming and coming and coming and coming. And by the way, Jalen Brunson, it's not like he had the most incredible shooting night. He just kept going and he kept finding these little cracks to shoot from and be in. And just this entire team moves no matter what is going on. They keep playing. Even in Game three that Philly won, New York almost came back and won that one because they just kept coming. And I think that that is the kind of thing that is going to propel this team forward, even when they're playing opponents that maybe are a little bit better on paper than them. I am fascinated to see how far this group can go this year. And we're talking about all this without Julius Randall. So I kudos to the entire group Brunson has been amazing every single other guy on that roster who has just kept going in a way that has been so impressive to me. But I really got to give Leon Rose just a tremendous amount of credit for the way that he has come in changed that organization. Doesn't hurt if your godson is someone that you can acquire from Dallas spring Over and then become one of the best players in the league. He is on my MVP ballot for sure. But you know, it all worked out and I'm just thrilling a great story. And by the way, we've got a lot of quote smaller market teams also doing really well in these playoffs, right. You know, Denver's not a glamor glamour team in this league in terms of cities and everything, and yet they're obviously a monster Minnesota, you know, Oklahoma City. You've got teams that aren't necessarily the coastal elites doing well. So we've got that going on. And then at the same time, to having New York City in the playoffs doing as well as they're doing is great for the NBA. It is the largest fan base in the NBA, and you have the largest fan base engaged and excited. It's just great all the way around. It's nice to see both things happening at once. So it's not just big market versus small market. It's all different kinds of markets are doing it really well right now. That is cool for me to watch as well. The Sixers not doing as well right now. Down three to one, series can still go. We've seen teams down three one win. But you know, right now, it certainly seems that New York has the momentum and b does not look completely himself. Game two, of course, is going to haunt them for a long time if they do go home after this first round. What do you think they do this summer? Because they have assets, They've also got a ton of salary room. They could get a huge free agent if they wanted to. The only guys, the only guys who are absolutely locked in going forward are MAXI and embiid, so they can remake this roster however they want. And there's been a lot of Paul George rumblings book. What do you think about them?
Speaker 2: Well, when it comes to Philly situation, I think they're happy where they are. You know, they have their their two foundational pieces set and locked in. They have plenty of money to play with, they have plenty of assets to use. I think they're in a perfect situation as far as it with the Paul George rumlins. On paper, it obviously makes sense. But you know, Paul George being a West Coast kid, being home, getting closer to the end of his career, not saying, you know, he's ready to retire anything, but he's in the later stages of his career. Just from that standpoint, Alon, I don't really see him wanting to make a move like that, you know, going from Cali being home, being comfortable, being around family too, you know, jumping all the way across the map to the East Coast. It's a weather change, it's a different environment, it's a different type of fan base. Philly is a rough fan base to play in front of. You know, PG has received a lot of backlash with being in this softer market, so I couldn't really imagine him wanting to go to even more difficult market at the later stages of his career. But like I said, on paper, it makes sense, and I could you know, I could be totally wrong, but for me kind of knowing how comfortable peach is being home and how much you know family and being you know, representing la and all of the those things matter to him. I just don't see that that being the move for him. But like I said, I could be completely wrong, and if it was to be made, then you know, the East might have a new top dog in town. So on paper it makes sense, but you know, from a comfort standpoint, it just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: For me, and so interesting. We're going to talk about the Mavericks Clipper series later and obviously how that plays out could be a part of his decision, but just in a vacuum, the idea that he could be the perfect guy to fit in with Maxi and Embeed. I know Daryl moriy is going to be on his doorstep at twelve oh one. I think it's interesting that Paul George has not re upped with the Clippers. Right he had the opportunity to extend Kauwai did it, and the fact that he didn't do it around the same time, I thought was telling. He's clearly waiting for something, and he's either waiting just for other bidders to come in to up his price, or he's waiting for the decision about whether he should move on or not. And I don't know what were offering him to begin with. Maybe there was wiggle room there. I'd have to think they'd be offering him the maximum amount of money, but who knows. I just wonder if there's a little bit there, because I agree with you, he is a guy who coming home to LA was really important to him, right. I mean, he flirted with the idea back when Magic Johnson was on TV talk shows talking about acquiring him for the Lakers, right, Like, He's just the idea of coming home was very important to him. You know, his parents, who are great, by the way, great people at their courtside at most games. And his mom had a stroke years ago and it's very important to him to be around her. She's not as ambulatory as one might hope. And I think that all of that stuff contributes. You know, his kids are here, his families here, They're getting to be with their cousins and grandparents and everything. The weather is not a small thing, you know. The fan base, as you say, is not a small thing. But I got to say, at some point, some of these guys have to decide, do I want to win a title? And I don't know if he is as set up well here in LA to win a title as he would be if he went to the East, which is a different conference with different teams you're competing against, and paired with the Joel Embiid and Tyrese Maxi. So's it's a really interesting question. I don't know if Philly has a plan B. If you know, Paul George doesn't decide to come because some of the targets that they had, the two guys in Toronto got traded to other teams where they are expected to both resign. Well, we'll just have to see. But it is an unfortunate break for Philly in the series and beats health, you know, just hasn't been one hundred percent. And frankly, they can learn a little bit from the guys across the court about just how relentless you have to be to win these hard fought playoff series. I'm fascinated. I'm fascinated by the way the series has turned out. I wish it was thirteen games. What we'll have to say, I don't know. All right, let's get to the West. Wolves swept the Sun's Boogie while you were sleeping over there in Taiwan, the Wolves slept swept the Sun. Big games from Anthony Edwards and Karl Anthony Towns, who had got into foul trouble at times throughout the series, he came through big time. I want to give him a lot of credit. And we usually say the team with the best player in the series wins, right, and going in to this series, some people would have told you the best player on the floor would have been Devin Booker. You know, if you got Kevin Durant in that series. There's no question that Anthony Edwards turned out to be the best player of these four games. I mean that second half he had thirty. One of his forty came in the second half. But are you ready to say overall that ant is a better player than Booker or KD. Book had forty nine last night?
Speaker 3: Am I ready to say? Yes?
Speaker 2: It's not far off. I mean, obviously Booker is an amazing player this year. He's shown at time and time again season after season. So this is no knock the book but it's honestly just praise for Anthony Edwards. I think he elevated his game to a level higher. In on Phoenix side, he led this team to a sweep. He's a star. He's one of the faces of the league. His energy, his charisma, his personality, everything was on display in this series. And I think it's bigger than just being, you know, the best two guard in the league. He's one of the biggest stars in our league.
Speaker 1: I think you think he's the best two guard in the league hands down, right.
Speaker 3: You don't even think it's close as of this season.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, hell yeah, absolutely. And like I said, he put it on display. Is young Jordan Vibes. It has been spoken on before. The athleticism, just the leadership. I don't even think that gets talked about enough. And it is the fact that this kid is twenty two years old doing all of these things. This isn't a twenty eight year old. This isn't a thirty year old. This is a twenty two year old kid, twenty two doing these things. So, like I said, this is no knock to book, It's no knocked to any two guard in the league. This is just given the young kid, his flowers and the prayers that he deserves in his moment. And you know, he did his thing this series. And you could tell from the words of Kevin Duran. It's no bitterness, it's no anger towards his kid. You have to get his kid his flowers. He went out there and performed at an incredible level. He outplayed his one of his idols, growing up, which is a story within itself. So just everything about this series was in this kid's favor, and like I said, he went out there and he took that shit, and you know, he deserves all the credit that's.
Speaker 3: Coming this way.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, it's incredible. Even going into this series. I put Anthony Edwards on my second team All NBA and Den Booker on my third team All NBA, so that's the order I had them in. But he just exploded. And you mentioned the ris there. I mean, he is just jumps off the court emotionally, you know, magnetically, he is just such an incredible presence. And then the leadership, You're absolutely right, that's underrated. I watched a press conference after the game where he's sitting there, he and Carly Towns are up there together and he just kept going to carl and being like, yeah, I told you to stop fucking failing, and you finally stop fucking fouling, and there we go. He's twenty two, and he's telling the former number one overall pick, who was definitely the star of this team when Aunt came through, Hey, you over there, stop fucking fouling and guess what. Kat, to his credit, has completely accepted and respected it. And I think that's an underrated story too, because that's not easy if you're Karl Anthony Towns to sit there and have someone else come in who's not you know, yes, he's younger, and he's definitely younger enough to feel younger, but he's not like, it's not like Kat's thirty five, right, So sometimes if you're a much older player and the young kid comes in, you can be like, great, that's how it's supposed to be. This is an age difference where it's just enough to be awkward if it was going to be awkward, and Kat is just enough and is still in his prime that it's sort of like, oh, and Kat has been a dream about it, and Ant has been amazing about it, and I think it's just Ants so undeniable, and yeah, I'm with you. I think Tmosa this summer we're going to see him just eat against those international players a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he's put in the right position to do.
Speaker 1: So let's put it so that's your other thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let's not let's not make the same mistake twice. Let's let's let this kid shine because he deserves it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, look, it's easier when you dismiss Devin Booker in a playoff series. It's easier than for coach Kerr to sit there and make those kinds of decisions, right, Like like it's kind of like coming in with kat right then, everyone on that TMOSA team, you know talent when you see it, and players, I give all y'all credit Book, Like, y'all recognize when someone is who they who they are, and like I think, I think we'll see what you're looking for on Team USA this summer. And then Phoenix is a huge thing. And look, you were the first person on the national media to be pounding the drum of it's a problem they don't have a point guard. You did it from October on and they played well enough that a lot of people were like, no, Book's doing fine. And I even sat here on the pod and I was like, well, Books, Books playing okay in that role, and you're like, come playoff time, it is going to matter, you were one hundred percent right. My thing from the beginning of the season was they made a huge mistake with Bradley Beal. I feel vindicated in that take as well. Bradley Beal, who is a very good guy by the way, however not a good fit on that team. Four of thirteen in the final game, nine points total, six turnovers, five of which came in the fourth quarter, and then he fouled out. I mean it was just a disaster. And to me, this is a new owner syndrome problem. We have seen this over and over. Matt Ishbia may become one of the NBA's best owners. I am not saying this is long term. However, we see it over and over again when a new owner comes into the league, especially a younger guy who's had great success in his field, he knows better, right, he just knows better than everyone else in the way it's been done. I would have made the Kevin Durant deal, and he made that deal just I think sixty seconds after acquiring the team. I would have done it. He's Kevin Durant, I get it. I would never have made the Bradley Beale deal, and they would have been better off just keeping Chris Paul this past year because at least to organized their offense, and he has a trainable contract that would have given them options going forward. They don't have options, And that's what I wanted to ask you. Bradley Beale has a no trade clause, so if you want to get rid of him to make salary room, you've got to be sending him to a place he wants to go to, and you've got to convince someone to take him, and you barely have any picks to attach. I guess they've got a first round pick, what now? And then that's it before twenty thirty. No second round picks, So it's just bonkers. What would you do? Would you try to convince someone to take him? KD? Is is he sticking around this team? What do you think?
Speaker 2: This is definitely gonna be a difficult offseason for the Phoenix Suns. It's a lot of things to iron out. It's a lot of tough decisions to make. But just based off you know, balance and looking at this team on paper, Bradley Bill is the black sheep to this problem. Outside of them being their number one priority is obviously gonna get a point guard John Wall is fucking sitting at home.
Speaker 3: Go get John Wall Who cares.
Speaker 2: If this dude likes to go to the club, whatever, whatever fucking bullshit excuse you want to come up with as to why you don't want to sign, Go get you a fucking point guard.
Speaker 3: That's the first thing. The second thing when it.
Speaker 2: Comes to Bradley Beil, I absolutely think he's a he's a tradable piece. I think I think Bradley Beil will be open to being traded. You can tell about a body language, you can tell by his demeanor, you can tell and obviously you can tell about the performance that he's not a good fit there. He probably, deep down the side doesn't really want to be there. And on any good championship team, Bradley Bil is the second option. Brad Bil in no way, shape or for him, will ever be a third option on the team. And if he is, it is not putting him in a situation to be successful. And that's exactly what Phoenix did in this situation. So obviously brad Bil is the guy that I think you can go, you know, do some things, You can make something happen with Bradley Beal and bring in some pieces what pieces. I don't necessarily have those answers.
Speaker 1: Oh, point guard, you've got that answer, we.
Speaker 2: Got that start, But what you can get back for Bradley Bil, I don't know that exact answer. I wouldn't be mad at of brad Bil. Jimmy Butler. Move Jimmy Butler thirty four to thirty five coming up. He's on a way different timeline than those young guys in Miami. You got Terry Rozier, you have a Bam down there.
Speaker 3: Those are two younger guys.
Speaker 1: Jimmy a heat player, though, Is he a heat culture guy?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, so it makes sense. It makes sense for both sides. Obviously, Jimmy Butler's you know, he's getting to the later, later stages of his career.
Speaker 3: We all know he.
Speaker 2: Wants to compete for a championship. I think that's a good third piece to go with the Phoenix signs. You get you a point guard, you move book back to the two. You can put Jimmy at your three and have Kevin Durant at the four, and you can figure out the rest when it comes to the roster.
Speaker 1: So well, look, they don't need Jimmy Butler to score the basketball in that situation right with with Kevin Durant and book there. So that plays into the fact that he's not the shooter that those guys are. I get it. I just don't think I think they're going to have trouble finding someone to take Bradley Beal. They'd have to attach definitely. I think the first round pick, just because of the contract, that's going to be a thing. And then there's the Kevin Durant question. Does Kevin want to stay there? He is not had the best last five years. You know, some of it was bad luck, some of it was a toe over the line, some of it was injury stuff. But here's a guy who is on one of my lists, is you know, on that top twenty players of all time kind of situation, and I just don't know if he wants this to be the way his career ends. There's a lot of romantics out there who want him to go back to Oklahoma City. If you're Kevin Durant, do you ask for another trade or do you feel like you can't do that again? What do you think? If you're Kevin Durant.
Speaker 2: If I'm Kevin Durant, I'll write it out okay, And like I said, I think your best bet when it comes to improving his team is using Bradley Beal as a piece and also attaching that first round pick. But when it comes to Kevin Durant, it doesn't make sense to go back to Okay. See that's a I think what's the average age for Okay? See twenty three, twenty three?
Speaker 3: It just doesn't make that too.
Speaker 2: That team has created a vibe, it's a fun, loving environment. They've they've created something to match that group that they have there. It just doesn't make sense to try to put, you know, a thirty six, thirty seven year old guy.
Speaker 3: Into the mix of that. So it on paper, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: Now, if you want to, you know, a fairy tale story, and you know the media have something to run with, then absolutely it makes sense. But I think that story will be short lived. If I'm Kevin Durant, I'm sticking it out, you know. I think this will be his last stop hopefully, So I don't want to see k move anymore. I want to see him make a situation work, and I think this is the place he can make it work. It's just some things they have to iron out. With that roster, and they have to start making things make sense for their team. They have to put their stars in a position to be successful. Like I said, go get you a fucking point guard one and I think everything else is fixable. So I say, Kevin Uran sticks this out, absolutely well.
Speaker 1: They're already trying to blame the coach. It was literally it took. It took two minutes after the final buzzer sound for stories to leak and tweets to leak about Oh, players aren't happy with the coach. Bradley Buil didn't shake Frank Vogel's hand. Frank Vogel doesn't have a you know, a handle on the team. He doesn't have their confidence. Guess what, Frank Vogel is not the problem. He's not the problem. The roster is the problem. And that's not even James Jones's fault. The owner made those two big traits. Okay, he got He wanted the credit for it when he came in, so now you got to stick with it. It is the fault of the roster, the roster that the new ownership put together. And as I said, matt Eshpia may go on to be one of our best owners. Mark Cuban didn't always make the best decisions when he came into the league, right, and then he became one of the owners that has been the most before he sold his ownership stake in the team, so Matt could have a great future in Phoenix. But this past year or so, what he's done, you have to look in the mirror. You cannot start leaking things about the coach. Frank Vogel got this team which had no business being in the top half of the league defensively, into the top half of the league defensively. It is not his fault, right, I mean, it's just seem.
Speaker 2: To me I agree, But we know how this thing goes. Whenever it's a it's a fail season, the coach is the first guy to blame, and you know that's unfortunate for Frank. I'm a huge I'm a huge fan of coach Vogel. You know, I had the luxury of being on a roster with the Lakers the championship year. I saw how he coached that team. I saw how he connected with his stars. I saw how the guys respected him in the locker room. So I know his ability of coaching and how he managed the team isn't the problem, but in this situation, he going to be the scapegoat. There's always a scapeboat when shit goes wrong, and you know it's unfortunately that you know he'll be that guy this offseason. So you know, we'll see what this team does, and you know, obviously they're going to have a tough decision and who they decide to bring in. Hopefully it's a guy that you know, the stars will respect and hopefully have a say so and who they want, and you know, hopefully things get ironed out and it's not another year of making an excuse or blaming the coach. So we'll have to see what plays out for this son's organization.
Speaker 1: Look, man, there's another team we got to talk about. That's that's kind of in the same boat here. The Lakers at least save themselves from getting swept right Monday night. As we tape this Monday morning game five back in Denver, I did want to ask you about Jamal Murray because he's questionable with the strained calf. You have also been inside that locker room book, You've been on that team. If Jamal can't in fact go, how big of a window does that open? For LA Or do you just feel Denver at home even if Jamal doesn't play. They didn't have him for the last couple of weeks of the season because he was hurt. Then they didn't have him for stretches when you were there with them. You know, do you feel like Denver at home even if Jamal is not there, they're still the favorite? Or do you think the window for LA opens?
Speaker 2: But you can't overlook that piece. Jamal Murray is a huge piece to the success of this Denver Nuggets team. Obviously, you know Jokis gets all the shine, but when they came to this team being a championship team, it's when Jamal Murray became healthy. If I'm the Lakers, I'm excited and obviously we don't wish you know, injury or harm or any player. But in this situation, the Lakers being down in this series and they're missing their number two option in Jamal Murray, I think the Lakers are now.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll see. He's questionable.
Speaker 3: A calf strang A calf strain could be tricky, it could be very.
Speaker 1: And you don't want to mess with that because achilles.
Speaker 2: I'm just a calf strength easily turn into an achilles injury, so you have to be very you know, fragile and sensitive with dealing with that injury. But and if I feel like, if Denver feel like they can buy time and you know, kind of let him sit and rest, I think they will take that route. So, like I said, I think the Lakers, if that is the situation, I think they're excited. I think they can see a small glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel and it might be a little more life in this series. But if Jamal does play, I think it's curtains for the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Look, even if they win this game tonight, and as we said here, we don't know, but I will say this, I can't see LA winning four out of five against Denver, which is what they would have to do starting with that win over the weekend. But still like it's just they lost ten straight or sorry, eleven straight to them. I mean, the most likely scenario. No team has ever come back from three to zero. The most likely scenario is that LA gets sent home. So let's just have that conversation now because we won't be together again until next Monday. What do you think the Lakers should do next and how much does that depend on what Lebron wants to do.
Speaker 2: I put it like this, it's only one team with a shittier situation than Phoenix, and it's the fucking Lakers. We know what this all season to bring. Obviously Lebron has Lebron has this organization by the balls, that's it's well noted.
Speaker 1: We know that.
Speaker 2: Obviously, he has this contract situation. We know about the scenario and him wanting to play with his sign So it's a lot of things looming when it comes to you know what this Laker team has to do when it comes to Lebron. But my question is, at what point does Lebron decide to take, you know, that pay cut if it's about still winning championships. Lebron is an an I'm not in the pocket watch and I don't count the next man's money or anything like that.
Speaker 3: This is just what's well known and what's facts.
Speaker 2: Lebron is an active NB player and he's a billionaire.
Speaker 3: So obviously money isn't an issue for Lebron.
Speaker 2: So at what point do you take that cut to bring in more talentent to compete for a championship?
Speaker 3: And if that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Then what is your goal with being a Laker and moving forward with the you know, the rest of your career. That's my question to Lebron because at this point, if Lebron goes and signs for sixty million a year, obviously it's not much room to add talent to this roster. It's not much room to improve the roster. But the current team they have now obviously is not enough. So if you do take on this new contract, you know, what is your goal with being a Laker and moving forward? So I think that's the question that needs to be asked in the off season when it comes to, you know, fixing this Lakers situation. Obviously, you have your your counter partner, Anthony Davis. He still has a lot of life left in his league. I think if I'm ad and I'm in his shoes, that's my question of Lebron, like what's your goal? Like what are we trying to do moving forward? And regardless of whatever his answer is, I think you based your decision off of that.
Speaker 1: But that's a great point because look, here's the thing. There's people speculating, would he jump somewhere else? I would be laid down in shock if Lebron James leaves Los Angeles. He wanted to come here so badly that he basically committed to Magic Johnson before Magic even gotten to the door of that free agency meeting. He didn't unlike Kawhi Leonard, who said, you got to bring Paul George for me to come here. He made no stipulations. He signed multi year deals in ways that he never did in Cleveland or Miami. He wants to live in Los Angeles, and by the way, I live in Los Angeles. It is lovely here. I get it. However, that means to me that he is not going to another city. His business is here, his kids are here, his life is here. I just don't see him moving in and for his legacy. Also, by the way, three teams is already a lot for a player of his caliber, right, we don't see that that often. But he's won a championship in everyone. If he then goes to a fourth theme and they don't win and he's away from his family, I don't see it. So then the question is if he stays here and he stays a Laker, what does he want? Does he want to ride off into the sunset and just have a nice year, make a lot of money. Maybe they do bring Bronnie in, which, by the way, I think would be great.
Speaker 3: Do it.
Speaker 1: I'm all for that. By the way, he's not taking up a spot on the roster that other people like. You can have a guy who is a two way contract or, end of the bench player, who is a developing youngster in the NBA, who has Brownie skill set. He's got an NBA body, he's obviously got great basketball IQ. His reputation both in high school and college so far as that, he's a team guy. He's not too big for He's not like going Lebron James soon. You know, he seems like he is. He is a good team chemistry guy. And it's a great story. And I watched I covered the NHL a long time ago. I watched Bobby Hall and Brett Hall play together. It's awesome, man like do it and if anyone deserves it, it's Lebron. So I'm all for that. If that happens. I know people are gonna whine and bitch and complain, but I think it'd be great, and maybe that's all he wants. But to your point, Anthony Davis, I don't think that's all he wants. And I understand the logistics of Lebron taking a big pay cut. I was having this conversation at the game the other day with someone who knows that organization and knows Lebron super well, and and his take was, Oh, I don't know if if he's gonna, like how that looks that he's got to like take a big pay cut to bring someone else in. And what is that going to say about him? I don't know, he's thirty nine years old, biggie. What do you think the sort of ego factor of that is if he decided he's if he opts in, he's getting fifty one million, As you point out, that number goes up if he opts out but wants to stay. If he just was like, you know what, I'm gonna play for twenty million this year, what do you think the ego factor is there? And then having someone else come in.
Speaker 2: I think it adds to his legend. It then adds another layer to you know, this goat status. He's so unselfish, he's he's a team guy. He's about winning championships. I think that's the narrative that goes with a decision like that. I don't think anybody would ever look at Lebron in a negative way if he was to take a pay cut. I don't think. I don't think it lowers his value. I don't think, you know, it lowers his legend any of those things. It actually increases it. In my opinion. It shows that he's about, you know, winning championships. It shows that he wants to increase.
Speaker 3: You know, he's.
Speaker 2: Already incredible, incredible resume, so and obviously adding a fifth championship to his already crazy resume puts him at another status. It then changes a lot of conversations when it comes to who is the goal of this back of basketball? So that's where it kind of goes for me when it comes to figuring out this off season. What are you looking for? What are your goals moving forward with being a Laker. Is it still about competing for championships or is it about making sure boot business is booming? Which I don't think changes in any way, shape or form. No matter where this is the fucking Lebron James, It's not going to change right right, So him taking twenty million this year is not going to change anything. That's going on with clutch or anything that you know what I'm saying. So life right, So I think that's the important question. What is your goal moving forward? As simple as that.
Speaker 1: And look, it's funny we were talking about Paul George earlier in this conversation. Paul George and Lebron were supposed to play together in Cleveland. There was a deal done to trade Paul from Indiana to Cleveland. It got messed up at the end. I would say, I'm blaming some upper management enfranchises for some of what happened there. And that was going to be the thing after Kyrie left, was that Paul George was going to come in and them playing together just makes so much sense in terms of the way their games are styled and everything. This is, I guess this is a far flowing possibility. But what if Lebron took a serious pay cut and they said to Paul George, you don't have to move to Philly if it's not working in the Clippers and Kawai just can't stay healthy the way we'd all want him to, And what would you think about just coming across the hallway there. I don't know, man, I mean, Paul has said that he's wanted to be a Laker in the past. I know it kind of changed a tune when he became a Clipper, but he and Lebron have talked about playing together in the past. I know they certainly need a player who can defend like that. When I look at the Lakers other options, even if they come through trade right and they will have trade assets starting on drafted, I thought three first round picks. You're talking about Trey Young, who obviously is a huge offensive talent, but is not going to help them defensively. He obviously comes with his own set of personality that would have to get melded into that team. Dejante Murray, who I don't think is turning them into a championship contender in my opinion. And then Donovan Mitchell, I know is spicy for Lakers fans to be talking about. Oh, especially if the Magic eliminate the Calves, we could go after Donovan Mitchell. Guess what, I don't care if Donovan Mitchell specifically marches into the Calves front office and says I would like a trade to Los Angeles. I do not see the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Gilbert family helping Lebron win another title in LA by trading the player that they thought was going to be their franchise player going forward. I don't see it. I don't see it happening. They could get just as good a deal somewhere else. I know we've been talking about Trey Young to the Spurs, but can you imagine Donovan Mitchell on the Spurs with Victor webin Yama. I mean that to me is just a match made in heaven right there. And if I am an NBA player today, I am doing everything I can to get to San Antonio, which is an incredible sentence, but I would. I think that kid we talked about aunt and he's incredible. I think Victor Webbin Yama is going to be when it's all over. Obviously, I don't know what happens injury wise and everything else, but everything he has shown us so far tells me he's going to be a top five of all time player. And we will see. But that that is my prediction sitting here, and I would do everything I could to get to my ass to San Antonio. I just don't see Donovan Mitchell coming to Los Angeles, no matter what happens. Maybe he'll be in Cleveland. I don't see the Cavs ever trading him to a Lebron Lakers team. And then I just to your point, who are you getting this summer that's going to make a difference. I just I don't know. Man. I take the pay cut, and I take the pay cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take the pay cut, and let's see what we can make fake. Absolutely, I agree with you, right.
Speaker 3: I agree?
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, Producer Nate's favorite segment. Three stats at you. Two of them are true, one is a lie, two truths and a lie. Let's go. Jalen Brunson leads the league in postseason scoring. That is stat number one. Stat number two. Anthony Davis leads in postseason rebounding stat number three. The Timberwolves are number one and scoring overall this postseason. Which is a lie? And which two are the truth? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, this is gonna be a tough one today.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say Anthony Davis leads the lead Lee's in postseason rebound I'm gonna say that's true. And I'm gonna go with j in postseason scoring and t Wolves and number one.
Speaker 3: And scoring is a lie?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right? I My only question is Jalen Brunson did not have, like, I mean, an amazing game obviously yesterday, but he's not had a little more up and down in this series. I don't know, though, I couldn't say which one the Jalen one I'm a little dubious of, but I'm not doing obvious enough to say it. Timberwolves, some of those games, how high scoring have they been? That's a tough one. Band all right, Producer Nate, come in, I can't make a decision, he says, Timberwolves is a lie? What do you got, Producer Nate, I gotta give one, all right, fine, Producer eight, I'm trying to get out of it. And Producer eight's in my years saying, I gotta make a decision.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: If I'm making a decision, Jalen Brunston is a lie. Oh, Producer Na says, I'm correct. That was a total toss up. Though that was a fifty to fifty on Joel Embiid has never won in postseason scoring since Producer eight. Okay, all right, all right, that was a total guess on my part. Though I don't know. We need Brondo back because he's probably got the best leader in the clubhouse scoring on this one for us. We're hurting book, all right, I'll take that bet. Presented by DraftKings. This is fascinating question to me. The Dallas series against the Clippers tied to two to two. Even though the Mavericks are going to be the road team for two of the next three games, they are favored by Vegas. Dallas is at minus one sixty five the Clippers are at plus one forty. Which bet are you taking? Book? What do you think?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm all about safety. Okay, I wouldn't bet on this series at all.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: This is an incredible series. I felt like this series would go this way. Definitely going to a game seven. In my opinion, this series can go either way. I mean, both teams are playing out a high level, and both teams have found a way to kind of be inconsistent at the same time. So it's tough to say. But I'm gonna go out on a limb. I'm I'm gonna roll with Dallas. The fact that Kawhi is dealing with some healthy issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if we'll see him back in this series.
Speaker 2: Bug And obviously with the way history is, you know, played for this Clippers team, they are never healthy around this time, which always results in them kind of getting.
Speaker 3: The short end of the stick.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go with Dallas, you know, finishing out and winning this series.
Speaker 1: It would be interesting. I couldn't call it. I think I think this is going to be the best. It's gonna come down to be ending up six or seven games, best series of the playoffs, I mean of the first round of the playoffs, playoffs so far, and it is. You know, we were talking about Paul George all throughout this podcast, like, I don't know if they get thumped in the first round, and he is looking at another time where Kawhi Leonard and I know they really those dudes like each other by the way. They have good chemistry, and you've been in that locker room. I think it would be hard for him to turn his back on that team. But I also think that at some point you got to look at your own legacy, and Paul George is a borderline Hall of Fame player, right with sort of some of the things that he's done. If you look at the numbers, and people are going to go crazy when I say that, but look at his numbers, versus numbers of guys who have gotten into the Hall of Fame, and a lot of the numbers are there. What's missing is the playoff success, right, What's missing is a title. And if you want a title, I guarantee you that man is in the Hall of Fame. So the question for him is how important is it for him to reach that height? Does he think that the Clippers can do that? Does he think he can do that in the West? Does he have to go to a place like Philadelphia? Would Lebron take a big pay cut, as I've been advocating, and bring him across the hallway? I don't know who knows. I don't know if Paul George's decision is going to rest on whether the Mavericks or Clippers win a series. But it's got to be a factor, and I series is a toss up, and Boog, you might be right to save your money. We'll see, We'll see what happens here. I don't know, all right, Thank you so much for hanging with us today. This is so much fun. I love when we play GM That's one of my favorite things. We've now, I wouldn't say that we've solved the suns and Lakers problems because who can. But you know, we've got some ideas for them, and the first one is apparently, what should the Suns do? Book get a fucking point, Cauard. There we go. Thank you. You can catch all episodes of Bullyball on the DraftKings Network and all the Smoking Productions YouTube channel, and you can listen to us wherever you get your podcasts. So rate us, review us, give us those thumbs up on YouTube. We appreciate it. But you cousins starting the playoffs over in Taiwan, good luck to you, sir. We will be following and I'm gonna just keep calling them the beer Leopards. I know they're technically the Taiwan Beer Space Leopards, but to me they are the Taiwan Space Spear Leopards. And I'm going to be following along as you go, So catch you next week.
Speaker 3: Ap precides h