Speaker 1: Welcome to a bonus episode of the Heat Check. Today, we've got a special interview with the radio voice of the Brooklyn Nets, Chris Carino. This conversation originally took place on my betting show called bet MGM Tonight with co host PJ. Glasser and Ryan Horvaught. Chris gives us his first impression on the Nets, more importantly, how he sees Ben Simmons's role on the team, his thoughts on who will come out of the East and the West, and also which players he's eyeing for MVP. In his first clip, Chris gives us his immediate reaction to the first Nets preseason game with Kadi, Kyrie and Ben all sharing the floor. He's a calm guy. He's trying to keep it together, but you could tell he was initially very excited.
Speaker 2: Well, we got to see him all last night together in uniform on the court for the first time, which was exciting. It was exciting and nothing to see here. Everything is exactly the way it was with Ben Simmons in the fold now and we'll see how it all how it all works out. But I think there's an excitement level. I certainly do. I think there was a rush early on last night. But if they can defend at a high level, they're going to be a very good team this year.
Speaker 1: Of course, the big question everyone wants answered, besides all that Katie stuff, is how will Ben Simmons fit into Brooklyn's offensive and defensive schemes. I ask what Ben's role would be. Is he a one? Is he a five? Is he an on ball defender who doesn't need to shoot? Listen into what Chris had to say.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to be a little of all of that. I think he's primarily though, I think it to be your half court ball handler. I mean, I think he's the ball is going to go through him. But the thing that makes him such a great complimentary piece to Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant is that he doesn't want to hold on to it too long. He wants to get it out, get it where it's got to go. I mean, we saw him making some over the shoulder passes, some no look passes. What I loved was a pass that he had out of the post to the opposite wing for a three pointer. I mean, he's got that size and he's got that vision, and you'll see him make those drop off passes in transition. I mean, I think what's really going to make Ben Simmons valuable the team this year is he's going to push the pace. You know, they're gonna they want to play a little faster, and he's a guy that's going to be able to get it up and down the floor. And I know he'll play pick and roll. I mean, I think the biggest recipient in this offense, and you saw it early on last night, is going to be Nick Klass. I mean, you know he's just gonna get all these dump ball passes for dunks. I mean, how many times are he just if he cuts, he's going to get dunks. And and I think you saw with him last night as well as they and I think you'll see this. I think this was a tip. You know something they tipped off last night is they'll get Simmons out of the game early and then bring him back with the second unit guy. So bring him back with players like Patty Mills and if Joe Harris comes back in the game with him. We didn't see Seth Curry last night because he's set out, but I think you're going to start to see some of that and he'll just be the primary ball handler. I still think everything's going to kind of go through him, and I you know, they still got stuff to work out. I still thought that Kevin Durant didn't get the ball enough in the first quarter of the game. You know, you can't forget about Kevin Durant. You know you've got to play through him a little bit. But there's certainly so many options offensively. The big question though, is going to be again, they give up forty two points in the first quarter last night. I know it's a preseason game, this is the Sixers without James hard and Joel Embiid, and you let him score forty two in the first quarter. So that, to me is the biggest thing they have to work on, and if they can get that to just be it's like the thing with Ben Simmons, Like they don't need Ben Simmons to be a thirty five percent three point shooter. They also don't need to be in the top five in league defensively. Just be like average, just be like the middle of the pack defensively, and they can they can win a championship.
Speaker 1: What do you think is the main thing holding them back from being a middle of the road team because Ben Simmons is one of the best on ball defenders in the league. We saw that last night.
Speaker 2: I think that's going to be. I'm not saying they can't be, because potentially Ben Simmons was a runner up for Defensive Player of the Year one year. He's a two time first team All defender. Kevin Durant can be a premier defender. He can be a good rim protector. Nick Cooxton has been an excellent defender. It's going to be. Can you The Sixers lit it up from three in the first quarter, And sometimes that's a product of guys just getting hot, but a lot of times the factor of usually not closing out on shooters, not rotating to shooters. And I think sometimes the communication when you get new faces and new guys coming together and playing on the defensive end, it takes some time, like it takes some communication level, and it's about effort, it's about intensity. This is a team that's got depth and they've got scoring ability, So just give lay all out there on the defensive end of the floor. Do I think they have the potential of being a decent defensive team, good enough defensive team. Absolutely? They absolutely do. And I just think sometimes, well you tend, especially early on, you tend to look at, well, how do all these guys fit offensively? They'll figure it out offensively, it's how do they fit defensively that's, to me is the biggest thing, and I think they will. They've got really talented, good defensive players that if they can come together. You know, even at Kyrie Irving, he can be dazzling on the offensive end with his hands, and he can be really good with his hands on the defensive end of the floor and start some of these transition opportunities. But I think the point being is that sometimes the last thing to come around is that defensive communication, that being together, being on a string defensively, and that's got to come around.
Speaker 1: The Eastern Conference is absolutely loaded this year. So my guy PJ. Glasser asked him if he saw anyone out East who might actually be a surprise team this year. Chris's answer was very revealing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's going to be hard for anybody to kind of come out of nowhere and contend with those top teams that you mentioned. I mean, if you want to throw Miami in, there be young up and comers. I mean, I look at a team like it Anta, who maybe overshot their expectation level a couple of years ago. Last year was probably more long where they kind of were. I think, you know, going to the conference finals two years ago was kind of out of nowhere. But I think now when you when you at de Chante Murray, that team like that can be a really good team. You look at Charlotte, I think Steve Clifford is an awesome coach and he's going back there for another stint with Charlotte, and he's got a really good young team. So they were ready. That's why it's going to be such a gauntlet to get through the East. When you look at teams like that, I mean, there's no easy teams. I mean, I think the Knicks are going to be better. They're going to be challenging maybe for a playoff spot. You look at what Chicago did last year, and they should continue to climb, although Lonzo Ball, I know, is having the knee issues, but you know, and then you really got good teams at the top. And when you look at Milwaukee, you look at Philadelphia, potentially the Nets. Talking about Miami, you know, Toronto is another team that's always really tough, right, I mean, so you're I think I've already named more than eight teams in Cleveland. Then you mentioned clee oh my goodness, dress the Cleveland right, I mean what they've done and now Donovan Mitchell there, I mean they are a top contended to be in the top four in the Eastern Conference. When you throw in what Evan Mobley did last year and Jared Allen, I mean, I can't the East is going to be There's going to be a couple of really good teams that don't make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 1: It's definitely one of the deepest years we've seen in the East. We also asked Chris right here what teams we should fade out west. He laughed about me going all negative, but I think his answer was spot on. Give it a listen.
Speaker 2: I don't know what Phoenix's number is, but you know, they've kind of been pushing and contending the last couple of years, and Chris Paul is not getting any younger. I potentially think they're just because they've played at a high level for a few years now, could they kind of get overtaken When you think of how much better the Clippers are going to be this year, and you know, you think the Lakers might be a little bit better, although Anthy Davis keeps getting hurt. You know, Denver will be better because they'll get Jamal Murray back this year. So maybe the Suns might. You know, again, I still think they'll be pretty good, but maybe those teams will kind of creep up on them and maybe get past them. You know, a team like Dallas to me, I know they're on the rise with Luca, but Luca has always been one of those guys that's a little, I don't want to say out of shape, but there's always a question about his fitness level and he can tend to get those calf strains and things like that, and I would I'd be concerned if anything ever happened to him where he had to miss an extended period of time. Dallas would not be very good. And I think that they would probably you know, could not handle that. And then they lose a glue guy like Jalen brun Set this year, So those are probably guys I would look at. Yeah. I mean, you know, in New Orlean's going to be better, you know, could in Memphis, I feel is a really good up and coming team, but potentially if there would be an injury. Even though they played, they played really well. With John Morant out of the lineup, he tends to miss some games. Can they continue to be that good with Jaws out the lineup?
Speaker 1: So yeah, Jar and Jackson either for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's another guy that's always He's always out of the lineup. So but again, there are other guys that played well. But I think like Phoenix would be the team to me that the rest of the pack is going to catch up to them a little bit this year.
Speaker 1: Finally, we were all interested in hearing on who Chris had on his MVP watch. He's definitely got his eye on one player and he gives you also a good tip on why you might want to just fade a favorite.
Speaker 2: I've always been of the ilk that you can give it to Giannis every year. I mean, he's just not only is his talent level is great, but the thing about Giannis is his durability, which you need as an MVP candidate. Right. The guy is just he's indestructible and he always seems to add something every year. And I think when you looked at last year, he didn't rest on his laurels as a champ winning that rain. He was in the gym all summer becoming a better free throw share, which was something that he probably added how many I don't know if he had to look back and on his numbers in terms of his if his scoring numbers were up at all much last year, but it certainly seemed like free throw shooting was an Achilles heal for him even in his MVP years, and he went out and he became a good free throw shyear last year. I remember he got rid of the hole where he used to hold on to the ball for like thirteen seconds. And he was actually working quickly last year and he was making his trees and it became because he put the work in during the off season. So I'd be curious to see what does Giannis put the work in this summer, because you know it was something and you know he's going to improve in some aspect of his game. And like I said, Lucas always I think questioned Mark to me because of his body, and you know, he's another guy that played this summer in you know, competitively an international game, which you always watch out those guys that play all summer they can wear down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Huge thanks to Chris Carrino for giving us his insight into the season, so give him a follow on Twitter at at Chris Carrino at C h RS C A R R I n O. The MGN Tonight airs Monday through Friday, live from seven to eleven Eastern Time, Available on him, on the Odyssey app and in podcast form wherever you find your podcast. Many thanks to my co hosts PJ. Glasser and Ryan Horvat and my producer Cameron Gray. That is it for a bonus episode of Do You Chuck? Check back Monday for an all new episode, and do not forget to check out the feed for past episodes and interviews. Please follow us as we get you ready for the twenty twenty two to twenty twenty three NBA season and download subscribe. Please tell your friends, every single damn one of them, and oh yeah, follow us on social at at this heat Check and at Trista Creek on TikTok because the heat Check never sleeps, not even on the fucking weekends.